Speaker 1: How the fact did they write that overnight. That's an amendment. I've never read that, not an a amendment. That is your amendment, dude. Everyone hated me so much. I mean I was out of control. That is the wildest thing I've ever read. Holy, I see another loophole to a loophole somewhere. I mean, I just dude, you guys just saw my brain explode on here.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Games with Names.
Speaker 3: I'm Julian Edelman, and there Jack and Kyler, and we're on a mission to find the greatest game of all time. And on today's episode, we are covering Devil's versus Rangers Game three of the two thousand and eight Eastern Conference Quarterfinals aka the Averrul Game, with actor and NHL legend the Avery rule maker, Sean Avery, and we get into talking the origins of this infamous Avery rule.
Speaker 1: So like, I was so far up this guy's ass that he wanted me death, he would not have shed a tear.
Speaker 2: It's incredible, Brett Hole story.
Speaker 1: My buddies had left these pot brownies in the fridge and he ate three of them, just like threats.
Speaker 2: In the walking closet.
Speaker 1: He's been doing snow Angels since like four in the morning, and then acting in the Christopher Nolan movie A Nolan said, there's no cell phones generally, I black out.
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of like like playing for Belichick. Yes, a direct parallel and on today's Chill Zone presented by Corps Light, we're hitting the old hotline, or you could say the cold line to answer some of those voicemails. You gotta stick around for it, So let's go, let's go. Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: April thirteen, two thousand and eight, Madison Square. I got New York, New York tied one to one. The New York Rangers have a two man advantage. Call it tactics, call it antics, call it effectively. In the end, I'll never see anything like this.
Speaker 2: This is the Avery rule game. Welcome to Games with Names Today.
Speaker 3: We are looking at Devils versus Rangers, game three of the two thousand and eight Eastern Conference Final quarterfinals, that Avery rule game with the one and only Sean Avery.
Speaker 2: Sean in one sentence, why this game?
Speaker 1: I went to bed, I woke up in the morning and they had changed the rule.
Speaker 2: Is this the greatest game of all time. It's my greatest game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, if I could, maybe, if I may, if I may, Yes, I put a I put a hell of a game on the board that night. I mean they yeah, wild wild, the whole thing is fucking wild.
Speaker 2: It is it is.
Speaker 3: Let's jump into what's what's life looking like these days for you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Boy, these days? You know, I was thinking about that this morning. Life is quite beautiful. Yeah, it's a good, it's a good. I just did a I'm an actor now, I guess I can say. You know, four years ago, i'd say I'm an actor, But are you really an actor? You know, like actors say they're actors. But if you're not a working actor, you're not an actor. Yeah, that's that's my You're not a football player unless you're on a football team.
Speaker 2: I'm an aspiring actor.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 1: By the way, you're airwaves right now. I mean you dominate commercial land on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Thursday. Well, there's commercial actors. There are commercial actors. I would rather not be a commercial actor. What kind of actor are you, Sean? I'm a Thespian. I'm a Thespian. Although I just did Happy Gilmour too. So how is that?
Speaker 2: Oh man?
Speaker 1: I mean listen, Sandler is is like God, he really is, you know, to anybody. Yeah, they have a bar on set. They they are not woke. They are woke no more. I will say that movie is going to be funny and they're going hard. They're going hard, and everyone's in it. Bad Bunny, Bad Bunny. Yeah, Kelsey, Kelsey, did you see him on set? I saw Bad Bunny. He's shorter than that big short, not that big. I didn't even know it was him. Yeah, I mean I had to ask. It was like a crossover in a fitting, and I said I could tell he was somebody. Yeah, you know, he's got swaged to him. But when they told me Bad Bunny, I was like, wow, he plays a well I don't want to say he plays yeah. I shouldn't really so, but Sandler's the man. I mean, that guy's been making movies on his own schedule about things that he was that he wants to to make for like twenty five years.
Speaker 2: That's the dream. That is the dream.
Speaker 1: And uh, you know I think that that's like a one off. Is am I a comedic actor? You know, maybe at some point, but right now I'm a guy if you give me a gun. Although I play a weatherman and Oppenheimer, but I'm a soldier, so that's my niche.
Speaker 2: Right now, you're so you're type castid as a soldier.
Speaker 1: I like to play soldiers CIA FBI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now do you want like when when when you're taking a role like this, when you're the weather man in Oppenheimer, which freaking see Sean and Oppenheimer and give people some context. Sean lives in my daughter's neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh, your daughter Lily takes care of my son. Now metaphorically, you know, they watch out for each other and watches out for Nash.
Speaker 3: And and Sean's kind of like the neighborhood watch. So you know, I'm sitting here the first time. I'm walking up the street one day with my partner and we're you know, we're having a discussion. I had to take a phone call. Is the first time ever I never met Sean. And this guy is sitting on a stoop of this this.
Speaker 1: Street, not even my house, it's not even his house, and he goes, hey, you you don't.
Speaker 2: Work out or something or I don't know what what did you say?
Speaker 1: I said, Uh, I think I asked you if you've stopped working out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he goes, you stop working out? I look over. I'm like, who the fuck is this guy? And he goes, you're looking a little out of shape or something. I'm like, who the fuck are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's like, would you say I'm Sean Avery? I think I said, hey, Julian, I know who you are. I'm Sean Avery. He used to play hockey. But I knew your buddy. Yeah, I knew the guy you were with, right, so that kind of yeah, I neighborhood watch. I was, I'm just taking a keeping an eye out on the street, really.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: And then we introduced each other, and we've seen each other around the block a bunch because it's a cool little street that has neighborhood parties and Halloween's fun yea, and uh fucking Sean is just a funny guy. And then all of a sudden one day I look and I look at TMZ.
Speaker 1: And I'm sitting there. I was like, is that fucking right by my daughter street?
Speaker 3: And Sean, I'm like, neighborhood watch patrol on the goddamn streets.
Speaker 2: Had to get some guy out of what is the red zone. Yeah, they're in a red zone. You know.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you quickly, I can. I can make this quick. When I got traded from the Detroit Red Wings to la Growing up, my parents loved Crosby Stills, Nash and Young, and when I got traded l A, I was like, Oh, I'm gonna live in Laurel Canyon.
Speaker 2: Like fuck it.
Speaker 1: I had no idea where Laurel Canyon was in relation to Staples Center El Segundo, which is where the practice rink was. So I moved to Laurel Canyon and did a reverse commute. Everyone thought I was crazy, But Laurel Canyon is is is. It's its own thing, it's its own world, it's its own vibe for the last hundred years. When I got traded to New York and then came back pandemic, it was like, we got to go to Laurel Canyon. So yeah, that's sort of the I have a long history with the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Hey, the neighborhood appreciates the neighbor.
Speaker 1: It's so funny getting back, how do you so when you're when you're watching or when you're taking a role as your soldier FBI, CIA or whether man, how do you prepare for these things?
Speaker 3: Are you are you watching? Are you doing ride alongs? Are you doing research? What's your preparation process for your acting?
Speaker 1: I guess it's it's different depending on who you're working with. Like I've done two Christopher Nolan movies. I did Tenant and then I did Oppenheimer. You know Tenant, which is an unbelievable movie that you need to watch eight times, maybe sixteen times to try and understand like what's actually happening. And you don't get to read anything really before the script is on Super Super Lockdown. You get to read it once, you know, prior to the job, and then you get your sides the night before your scenes. Usually, so with Nolan, you don't really know what you're doing. Like on Oppenheimer, I had no idea what I was doing because they also give you dummy sides, So when you audition, they don't give you the sides the scene that you're actually going to play in the movie. They give you something similar from a different movie, So you have no idea what's happening. You can't really figure out. You got a general idea, you know what I mean, I haven't yet and This is like the evolution of you know, starting off your career, your first couple of seasons. I haven't got something that is a lot of reps yet. You know, I'm not a regular on a TV show. I've done a lot of movies now, but you know, movies are like two three weeks and then you're out. So hopefully that comes, you know, I'd like to, but I want to also play like a a horticulturist, A what like a guy that knows plants? You know, I want to do weird shit A plant guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: See he brought that in because I was showing him my plants. Yeah, really, I'm a plant guy. I didn't I don't know the scientific term for and by the way, you don't need.
Speaker 1: To, but it's a good what is that word? You're gonna make me say it again? I got it out once? Pretty good horticulturalist. And now where'd you get that word? Would you pull that from?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: Listen, I do these fucking auditions and all these words I had to audition.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had one audition once. Yeah, I had to do a sex scene with the guy over zoom.
Speaker 1: First audition ever, Oh wow, Like for real. Yeah, and I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I couldn't. I couldn't get in the zone.
Speaker 1: That's the stupid thing anybody has ever done, made anyone do?
Speaker 2: What would you do?
Speaker 3: It wasn't like a six scene. It was like I was like with a female, but the guy. It was a guy. I'm the first time one ever doing this stuff and they're put me in this situation. Clearly didn't get the role. Yeah, well yeah, yeah, who got it?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I have a list in my garage of people that have gotten roles that I should have got that I'm gonna tell them one day.
Speaker 2: You remember that role? Who's on that list?
Speaker 1: He's sort of like a good looking blonde hair it's like a California guy. What the hell is his name? He was in White Lotus not it'll come to me, But you know there's a list. Yeah, you didn't have a list in college. Never, No, Sean, I didn't. What is it happy? Billy?
Speaker 2: Does he have a list? Yeah? And Billy does Billy. Steve Buscemi he had the Adam called him and I'm glad I called that guy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's specific movies I've done. I did a movie called Amsterdam with David o' russell directed, and I have like a I have a walk and talk with Christian Bale, and then I have to utter a racial slur to Chris Rock. And I got the sides that morning because of Russell's notorious he kind of rewrites scenes as he goes.
Speaker 2: I'm not at that point.
Speaker 1: I was not a seasoned enough actor to get sides the same day. Okay, now I could, I could, I could, just I could get it. So that movie, if you go and watch it, that was a full day. I have no recollection of the day whatsoever. I think like I blacked out probably twenty minutes in. I didn't know any of my lines. Christian Bale. Christian Bale, Okay, he didn't know who I was. He had no idea who I was. He didn't know that I used to play for the Rangers or any of this shit. He thought I was an actor. That fucking guy walked me through that day just at lunch, ran my lines with me. I had no idea where I was or what I was saying. It was the worst experience ever. And my buddy was a producer and he got me the audition and and the whole thing. I thought it was over. I thought it was done. So there's times that I've had where like I don't even remember certain days because dude, it's not like putting a helmet on and like we can just do that in our sleep. Yeah, this is so fucking high stakes and stressful.
Speaker 3: I think, well, we used to do that in that environment. But it's something we're comfortable and we've been doing our whole life. You're jumping in and you're a rookie in this world. Yeah, so it's different. Which Christian Bale taking the time out of his day to work with a new actor who doesn't know that's just straight leaders shit.
Speaker 2: Be fucking cool.
Speaker 3: You know, Like there's a lot of guys I'm sure that don't do that but that, but.
Speaker 2: You hear the cool stories about Christian Bale.
Speaker 1: The big boys, the big boys, just like you know, you or Tom or whoever it was, at what point on what team these guys like Bail knows, Dude, I don't want this kid to suffer.
Speaker 2: I want to get out of here.
Speaker 1: Let's get a great scene, let's win and get the fuck home.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: So he did everything.
Speaker 1: I mean I've I at one point during a take, I just I was like, ohly, fuck Sean. I said that to myself and I could see you in the corner of my eye. Bail was literally like at this point, kind of like on the ground laughing, and all I heard. And I don't know if David o'russell is an incredible director, but he's had some savage, savage moments on the internet. He's yelled at actors before in a legendary way. And all I could hear was him from somewhere behind video village, Sean, just keep talking, say anything, just keep talking. And at that point I realized, yeah, because there's more cameras. So even if I keep talking, I don't bails on the on the ground laughing right now. Now I really ruin the scene. They can't get anything from him. So it's incredible. It's like, you know, Pete Burg. Pete put me in my first movie, and I think he knew what I was doing, because like it was Patriots Day with Wahlberg and I and I mean my mind exploded. There's two hundred people on set, they go action, and all of a sudden, it's like, holy fuck, you gotta go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt that.
Speaker 3: I remember the first day I did TV, and it's different, but it's it's similar because you're playing a personality and you have and you got to perform when the red light's on. Yep, and no one tea. There's no handbook, there's no nothing. You have to just belly up and be able to do it. And it was like very I had so much anxiety. It was like stepping out of my comfort zone so much. Yeah, that I know exactly what you're feeling. Which the biggest part of why I don't like to get into acting is because.
Speaker 2: The line remembering.
Speaker 3: And then I don't want to be the liability on set because you know, I don't want to waste people's time. And it's such a fucking team thing, you know, with the teamsters, the camera people, the producers of this guy. And you got some slapnick that doesn't know his fucking line. He's get nervous. So that I understand that anxiety you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it took me. It took me eight years to be able to do it. I swear to god, it took me eight years. I stopped playing and I don't even know twenty thirteen. For eight years, I just learned how to memorize lines. Yeah, like that's something you had to do. How many fucking routes do you have to run a lot? It just gets into that, like and now I feel in my head, I feel my brain is different, you know, I can feel like there's weight in different areas and it kind of feels good.
Speaker 3: You figure it out, You figure out like what to remember key things. Yeah, yeah, mean yeah, yeah, cheat, I can cheat now. Now you're from Canada, you grow up playing hockey. He went to school until you were sixteen, because the whole hockey thing, you guys leave school and are uneducated. And I played and hung out with a bunch of hockey guys. Where the fuck did this acting interest come from? Did you have acting interests as a kid or when you started playing?
Speaker 2: Where'd this come from?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: We always thought.
Speaker 1: I mean, my mom put me in a drama camp when I was six, and she said I lasted like half a day and she had to come and get me. And that was and I sort of vaguely remember it. I remember like the gymnasium the church area of Toronto that this camp was at. I had PTSD from it. And I always thought guys that act did in high school and stuff were kind of like, you know, the wimpie kids. Yeah, Thespians. Yeah, Thestipians were a little bit weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just fun. Bro. I didn't know them, I didn't hang with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then you realize it's art, and what we did as athletes was art.
Speaker 3: It's just a little bit more not. According to Meryl Streep, oh really yeah, she said she called out football in UFC after getting an award one, saying, you know, most America likes to watch athletes and that's barbaric and stuff. They don't think that, you know, moving like a ballerino when someone's about to take your fucking head off his art.
Speaker 2: I guess. Yeah. It just has a one way beef with Meryl Streep and Ben Affleck. What did Ben do?
Speaker 3: Ben just was talking to sit on ESPN that the Patriots den receivers while I was there. Just squashed it. There's no real beef. I just talked about it on here. We had Casey on. We talked about it here.
Speaker 1: We talk about it Casey Casey like a Boston guys like.
Speaker 3: Whatever, fuck it? Well, what do you mean? Whatever it is? I would have it's more of a hype thing. Well, now I have a beef with Ben Affas right.
Speaker 1: Like that, and I'll be on a set he I'll be on one of his movies at some point. Yeah, I'm gonna pull him aside and go listen. I think we should address this whole Jewel situation like this right totally out of nowhere. He probably doesn't even know about it. Well he does, he will soon enough. I think they're making the Pete Rose movie, which I have already. Well, I will need soldiers, weathermen. Yeah, Pete baseball player.
Speaker 2: Charlie Hustle. Yeah, you should.
Speaker 1: You're gonna audition for Pete? No, no, no, no, I think that should. Chris Pratt should do that. Or or Wahlberg.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It depends what age they have them. Wahlberg would be a great Pete Rose he if he yeah, the same body type two.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Mark can look like a thirty five year old easy.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. He's like almost he's he looks young.
Speaker 1: He looks great, its healthy, he does you know he got into the you gotta no so you did the act.
Speaker 2: I used to do. I used to do all the school junior high play. I read that somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I used to love doing I did Crazy Camp Bye Bye Birdie.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I would always I loved getting a laugh out of the audience right when I was a kid, so I would be terrible. I remember my lines, but i'd always improve a little something, and I just loved that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but hold on, I can let's just address I don't know if you guys have talked about it. I watched the Brady Roast, all right, I understand that's a blackout moment too. By the way, I'm sure some of those guys did not remember anything that they said when they got up there, like some of the athletes probably. There were a couple of guys looked like they were just not there. Yeah, like they had left their own bodies. You fucking nailed that. But you went and did a couple of nights. I did the Store Store. Yeah, that's acting, I mean improv you know. I think all these great actors have the ability to just kind of like any of the Tarantino stuff. Those guys are riffing that DiCaprio scene and once upon a time in Hollywood when he fucking rips the trailer apart. Yeah, those those lines weren't written. Yeah, so you're on stage doing your thing, Like there's a teleprompter. Oh you used teleprompter. Not at the store. No, the store, I read off paper, right. I didn't make eye contact. I was so scared you didn't. I was fucking terrified. You still killed though.
Speaker 3: It was the first time, and it was like it's more intimate at the store, like you're at the or was it at the forum Forum? When you're at the forum, there's ten thousand people, And the people I saw were people I knew, right, you know, at the tables and stuff. I went to this. I went to the store. It's intimate, like sixty people. Thank god. There was like a group of fifteen like frat boys that loved football that I could say anything and they were gonna laugh, right. But I was like nervous, shaken up there. Like that's tough for like anytime you do something new, Yeah, you're stepping out of that comfort zone.
Speaker 2: It was tough. Yeah. I prepared for that shit.
Speaker 1: I go to the store sometimes in the belly room and I and they let me just I just go in and like do a set. What do I don't have anything. I just do crowd work. I just make fun of people in the crowd How does it go? A couple you know, I've done it like four or five times. A couple of times it's gone, well, a couple of times it hasn't. Hasn't you get did you get anyone under anyone's skin?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But yeah, crowd work is like that's improv. Yeah, because you gotta move, you gotta just you gotta work off. Yeah, that's the type of comic I love. I love crowd work guys. Yeah, you're you're really great on it. I mean you display it on Instagram through your story in your TikTok you said you broke the algorithm.
Speaker 3: So it's a lot of improv work. When you're doing live games making fun of guys with an eraser whatever, you have a pencil, an eraser, the pointer.
Speaker 2: The pointer. So that are you working your improv while you're doing that as well? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So you're working. That's work, that's time on task.
Speaker 1: Oh it's not free. I mean, no one's paying me yet except I'm the whole thing bank no o bank. I wanted to get into the TikTok Creators program, Yeah, which is a program that if you meet certain requirements, you get into this program. The deeper I got into it. I realized that TikTok, in my opinion, is like ready Player won the movie. Like I think that we're all going to be living in TikTok soon. You can buy, you can sell. There's people making a million dollars a year selling candy on TikTok live candy stores. Anyways, long story short, I got obsessed with TikTok. They weren't letting me and the creators program because they said my content was an original, which I couldn't understand because I go, guys, I'm I'm basically doing my own play by play. I'm making up all these jokes or anything that I'm saying. It's my It's as original as you can get. The problem was is that the algo, the algorithm, the algo, it's based on shapes. So if you go on TikTok, you'll see a kid doing a review about the Housewives with like call of Duty underneath in this split screen. Because the algorithm like shapes, it thinks that you're being original. So I go, Okay, what the fuck am I going to do? I got to solve this problem, Like I'm not quitting. I got to figure this out. Yeah, so I basically merged the future with the old, and I went on Amazon and I bought a pointer stick. And now I do a play by play with a pointer stick which is exploding on tict It's.
Speaker 3: Gotta be hard to to I see how you. I can't see the puck ever, so you're following the puck. It's good for that.
Speaker 2: You like it. I like it.
Speaker 1: They tried to do a glow puck. Fox tried to glow the puck. Remember back in the day. It didn't work. You can't glow a pocket. Yeah, but you know, it's taken me. It's a dexterity game. That word I almost didn't get. It's a dexterity game. I had to get, you know, depth perception because I got a fucking phone in one hand.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting on a little, tiny, little kid's chair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I got a you know, the screen on the phone and the TV screen it's only so big. So it's it's this whole science. Anyways, the pointer stick is blowing up and people love it. And uh, it's all improv I'm on the fly. I make it fun and some jokes and stuff. Yeah, it's funny. I think it's entertaining. I'm not a big hockey guy, but that brings me to hockey. The chick lit dudes bring me to hockey.
Speaker 3: I have to have pop culture with hockey, right because I'm American. You've worked with Nolan, David o' russell and Peter Berg. What's unique about their style and who's your favorite to work with? Well, so I've made multiple movies and Nolan and Nolan. But Pete Burg, who made Friday Night Lights and Fuck Loane Survivor. Yeah, I work at his gym.
Speaker 1: Chur Churchill your box there, Yeah, tried to Yeah my ass beat You know, Pete once got me beat up by a boxer. I've heard the story a thousand times.
Speaker 2: I just did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chris Chellios. I saw Chris Cellios like three weeks ago. He goes, oh, he goes, dude, Pete showed me a video. You get I said, he's showing that video he filmed me get fucking beat up by a boxer. Can you showing our friends? Can you explain this story? I don't even know. He was like, come down to the gym and box. I got a guy for you to box. And this was like we're coming out of COVID and I I'd been running sixty miles a week and like, I now do jiu jitsu, which is great and beautiful and it like changed my life. But at that point I was looking for some sort of blend of like maybe a combat sport. And he brings me down to his gym and I got the living shit beat out of me by a boxer in his gym. I was wearing somebody else's mouthguard. Pete's like kind of a The way he teaches lessons sometimes is the difficult way. Yeah, I think with certain people tough. He's very He's a director, you know he knows and I think when you have a director, who's your friend and so. But anyways, Pete, it's fun to make a movie with Pete Burg because he's like loose.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: There's different sets. A Nolan set, there's no cell phones. Generally I blackout. I don't remember, like, I don't really remember much from Oppenheimer. I sat in a car with Matt Damon and killing Murphy for like six hours. I have no idea what I talked about, no clue. I hope to ask them one day, like, do you guys remember that? I doubt they will. But but Pete it's loose and it's fun and he can he throws shit at you. You know, it's like a coach, you gotta feel comfortable. Any sets that are fun and comfortable, like Sandler set is fun.
Speaker 2: But there's also different styles of coaching.
Speaker 1: Listen, I I prefer the Nolan Asques set when we made tenant.
Speaker 3: But you got to be there mentally as an actor every day, you know. But like I bet you it's it's for a newer actor. It's on a looser set. It's probably easier because the tension. But if you go onto a tight ship a Nolan something, you know the stakes and you know that everyone's bringing their a game always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so juicy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of like like playing for Belichick. Yes, that structure it is.
Speaker 1: I would say that that would be uh a direct parallel those two guys. And like the level of efficiency. Yeah, we're not here, there's no fucking around, there's no fucking around, and every minute is used in the minute. It's productive. Yeah, by the way, golf collapse for Bill, he's everywhere living the life. What do you mean? I mean he looks like he's having fun. He puzzle tough, Bill, enjoy your enjoy life.
Speaker 2: He's enjoying life, all right.
Speaker 1: It's so cool. And he's a human. Yeah, we now see him.
Speaker 3: That's what that's what we we witnessed, right, he just very occasionally, Right, let's strip your fucking head off.
Speaker 1: I played for Scotty Bowman, who I think would be the equivalent of Belichick as far as the hockey coach. And Scotty would come in and he would yell like if there was something that he wanted to talk about, he would address it in the completely opposite way. And it was always mental warfare. Yeah, with somebody in the room, like he was a mastermind. You get in the saana with this guy talk about like, what's your favorite food from back home? Like, what do you mean back home? Like Canada? I like wieners and beans. You know what wieners and beans are, Frankie beans. Yeah, yeah, we call him wieners and beans.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was like the most He was like a gentle giant, like a teddy bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that's what I see from Bill now is that that you know, if you.
Speaker 3: Don't talk to him about any strategic stuff going into like a game week and you bring in like a regular life. He's a regular human, right, breathing air. I don't have about that yet. I'm still waiting on that. Lastly, what's the director you want to work with? Is you shot right here? They may watch it? Yes, let's see. I'd like to be on an Olivia Wild movie.
Speaker 2: O Wild like that? Yeah, see what's popping over there?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: I mean I'd like to work for a woman. Catherine Bigelow.
Speaker 2: Hurt Locker. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like there's a couple that are I'd like to work for for. I've never worked for a woman, yeah ever in my life really, so it just artistically, I feel like it would be like the ReVibe.
Speaker 3: Something would be different. Yeah, it wouldn't be so rigid, you know, they could pull a different string from you maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that would be fun. Yeah, I like that vibe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need some more girls. We got Leah need some girls. Well, everybody's you know, coming out of their shell. I think it's it's a fun time.
Speaker 2: It is it is.
Speaker 1: Did I smoke it here? You can smoke wherever you want of this nut hoouse. Okay, that's what the studio is called in.
Speaker 3: These Wow, look at this let's go back into time around when the game took place. This game took place on April thirteenth, two thousand and nine. And we like to talk over pop culture. Number one movie prom Night didn't see it?
Speaker 2: Did you? Or two thousand and eight? Why did I say two thousand and nine? I don't just living in the future, baby, living in the future, I'll tell you movie.
Speaker 1: And number one song from two thousand and eight doesn't feel two thousand and eight to.
Speaker 2: Me, right. I don't even touch my body. I don't know how does it go? Jack touch my body? That's all I remember.
Speaker 1: I went to Maria Carry's concerts first. Really, yeah, wow, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: There's a picture of that somewhere there is. I did not see no me either. This is when movie? Is this the start of movies going bad?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, iron Man hit theaters. Iron Man hit theater.
Speaker 5: This was the first Marvel Cinematic Universe movie, if you're not counting Howard the Duck back in like the eighties or nine.
Speaker 2: I loved Howard Technically, Howard the Duck is the first of the shout out. That's like, my parents, let me watch that movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mine too, And I look back watching that movie, Like, yeah, they probably shouldn't have let me watched that movie because.
Speaker 1: Duck is like with a girl tits in a bathtub. Yeah right, yeah, something crazy. He was a wild character.
Speaker 2: Wild.
Speaker 3: David Blaine sets the Guinness World Record for holding his breath for seventeen minutes in four and a half seconds.
Speaker 1: I just remember seeing him at Butter on Monday Nights. Butter, Yes, Butter, old Butter. People don't know about old Butter. Butter was the spot fun. Where is that New York?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was past. I never went to Butter. I went to like Up and Down. Yeah, it was the same, you know it was that Yeah, that group. Yeah, that was supposed to be the spot. Yeah, Butter was fun. We used to go there a lot. What was life like for Sean Avery in two thousand and eight?
Speaker 1: Butter too fast? You're just going to Butter way too fast?
Speaker 2: Butter.
Speaker 1: Uh Provocateur. The Beatrice, No, we we we went to this place. There was a club in the West Village called the Beatrice, in which is the probably the It had the greatest three year run out of one of the best ever in New York.
Speaker 2: It was in a basement.
Speaker 1: But you know, you play in New York, Like you play on Monday night. You got a Monday game or Tuesday game in February. The club, the bar, it's it's on fire every night every night, especially in two thousand and eight, because cell phones still weren't that you know, you couldn't get that clear shot. Demwa didn't exist. There was a lot of things that that we didn't have to worry.
Speaker 2: It wasn't me. It wasn't me.
Speaker 3: It wasn't me. It was the New York City athlete. Seemed like, did you see like the Yankees out you see.
Speaker 1: Did you live in the city, Yeah, I lived in the city where you live in West Village, I lived. Uh No, I lived at Grand and Mercer, which is like Prime Prime, soho Prime? And No, you never saw any of the Yankees at uh. Joba yeah Joba yeah, yeah, yeah, Joba got out. He was fun like I used to see him in Boston. Sometimes he likes to get after you get after it. He was around, uh and then oh the dark night. Harvey Harvey, Matt Harvey. I used to see Matt Harvey out a lot. Matt Harvey went out way too much. Let's just say that we'll leave that for another time, and I'm not sure what year watched the Throne came out, but like I remember being in the in the studio watching those guys like lay a track down in like the Submercer which was underneath the Mercer Hotel.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: Twenty eleven you were you were at some of those, right, But when did they make it came out?
Speaker 2: Released in twenty eleven? Let me see when they were.
Speaker 1: I think they're so you know, New York was like New York's fun, That's that's what was going on. Jay Z and Beyonce got married that year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, twenty ten. It looks like it started a right, So it was right around that time. You know, that vibe of the city was still going. So Kobe won his loan.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, in two thousand and eight, you interned at Vogue. I did that in the summer, in the summer. What was up with that? Why'd you do that?
Speaker 2: Like fashion? Yeah? I liked fashion.
Speaker 1: I liked being in the mix probably more, yeah, but I also was fucking nuts and like wanted to do something in the summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, some guys go home and I don't know, they build a cabin or a garage, like I was in the city. I wasn't leaving. There was no way I was leaving. Yeah, the Hamptons, and yeah, I just dove right in and uh but that was an amazing experience, you know.
Speaker 2: Without a doubt.
Speaker 3: I used to go to I used to go to Men's Fashion Week a bunch early in my career, right, and just kind of learn it. And then, you know, I did collaborations with Joe's Jeans and Pas Jackets just because I built those relationships and I did have an interest in fashion. I like, I wanted to wear clothes that I I made. Yeah, you know, and it's it was cool, it was fun. I would love to get my hands on a pair of those Joe jeans.
Speaker 2: I'll get you something.
Speaker 3: They're athletic fit, Yes, they're athletic fit, but you know there it's more of it's a good comfy jean.
Speaker 1: I would love to stretchy. They got stretching it. They're stretched a little elastine a little. I don't wear jeans without a little elast.
Speaker 2: You know what I like. I like the vintage old jeans, those already broken in for you baby. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like those levices yeah, yeah out there and didn't you.
Speaker 2: You kind of invented the tunnel walk, didn't you, He claims the game. I've heard this is a high claim.
Speaker 3: So I used to work with like super Dry and all these and they needed a picture, and so I would I would. I would go to the Patriots like, yo, I need a picture on game day, snap me so I can tag them.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me, well, first of all, then the entire NFL should send you a thank you.
Speaker 2: Amen, brother, I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's in fucking Kelsey is a Travis Drive. He should thank you everybody, every every walk that has been done. Now that's a hell of a claim. If you're claiming that that was you, I believe.
Speaker 2: It's completely me.
Speaker 3: But I was one of the first to be doing those things because I feel like I used to have game day fits. I used to theme ship up hell yes, coming in there looking cross eye, looking like a war hero, goo themes like yeah. Because when you had home games you got to wear you didn't have to wear suit, really yeah, you had to wear suit on away games.
Speaker 1: So if it was Halloween, you could kind of lean into it a little bit.
Speaker 2: What Miles Garrett does well.
Speaker 3: Garrett for the Cleveland Uh Cleveland Browns. That dude like gets crazy like a game at one o'clock. I have the fucking makeup crew at his house at like five am. So he looks crazy for the goddamn like he's getting for the Megala.
Speaker 1: You invented the tunnel wall. I don't know if I invented it, but I was one of the leaders. I was one of the founders, one of the forefathers, one of the foe By the way, entrepreneurial, I can't say that word. That's a tough word to say, but you were then being it right, you.
Speaker 3: Know, that's what That's what the United States of America is, just a land of entrepreneurs amen, just taking fit pigs. And I actually went to a fashion show with fucking your boy Cohen. Oh Andy, yeah to each other. There's a picture. Look at these guys.
Speaker 1: Oh fuck, guys, look like, what is that a Tom Ford show?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: I think it was Jesus, what's the American Ralph flauren?
Speaker 2: No, another one.
Speaker 3: It's not Tom Ford or Tom Brown. No, that's not Ralph floren No. That wasn't it was, Oh my god, another American. It was like, it's a traditional American brand.
Speaker 2: They have. Oh, that's Joseph Aboud, did.
Speaker 1: You jose who made his suits at a factory in Buffalo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they had the they had the long shoulder for the American man because they're a little boulder.
Speaker 1: Joseph Aboud is one of the greatest men's suit American men's suit designers of all time. Like he he owns that silhouette. Yeah, that's wild. Who's the guy on the right, don't know, but he's handsome. He looks like a buff Diplo. He does look like a buff. Sorry, no, he looks like a u if Diplo wasn't a DJ in the sports world.
Speaker 3: In two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight, Stanley Cup champions, the Detroit Red Wings.
Speaker 2: You gotta need Detroit. It was just they were pretty good on fire over here. Yeah, they were still ripping it. Uh.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and two is my rookie year. Yeah, they they won. Yeah, I mean, what a fucking team. They were essentially the Patriots of the NHL.
Speaker 2: In my opinion, they were.
Speaker 1: Yes, why twelve Hall of famers. You're gonna be in the Hall of Fame, by the way, I don't know, we'll see. Is it a debate, like it's yeah, I don't know, and I don't have the regular season numbers.
Speaker 2: Who cares? You had them numbers when it mattered most babies. Yeah, yeah, but that's what a lot of people think. Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but multiple rings, many rings, I just put them on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a few of them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Detroit was was full of legends. And also I think what's different about like New England Detroit Red Wings original six teams? So Ted lindsay, fuck they they had Gordy Howe, Like the history of that organization is deep.
Speaker 3: But that that history our organization is not that deep. We were in nineteen sixty were that's yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, So if we were like a giant or something, that's who the founding fathers are, like the Giants, the Bears, right, those are like the oldest clubs, right, but that's Detroit, Detroit definitely.
Speaker 2: M VP Tom Brady, MVP Tom Brady.
Speaker 3: What about Ovechkin? This guy, this guy's about to bake break the record, isn't he?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What are your thoughts? You You played against him?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: What a gas tank on him? Holy shit? I mean he he's unbelievable. He just keeps getting bigger and slower and hits harder and shoots harder. Like he's adapted as he's gotten older. He's sort of his game is adapted, but the end result is all the same.
Speaker 2: He still scores. Is he the Lebron of hockey? Wow?
Speaker 3: Because that's what it's kind of like, he's lasting people and he's.
Speaker 2: You're right, you're right. That's a good company.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like Lebron, he's he's still playing at an insane level and this guy is fucking forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, he's doing it big time.
Speaker 1: I mean he's possibly going to break Gretzky's record, right, He's close. No one ever thought that that would happen ever. I mean it was so astronomical, little like like no one was going to beat that. Patrick Patrick came the greatest American born player. I guess at this point he was drafted one overall. Where's he from?
Speaker 2: Buffalo area? Northern? Oh he's a Buffalo guy.
Speaker 1: You're right, yeah, because he beat up a cab driver in Buffalo one summer.
Speaker 2: Did that just give you a little that that's like? Like it? He liked it.
Speaker 1: I mean when I saw that hit the ticker, I was like, fucking Patty came boy having a summer. That's my guy. Yeah, that's my kind of guy. Tobe won his last m v P. That's sad.
Speaker 2: His only his only regular season MVP. That's sick. He's a lone hated him. He was too good. That's shot.
Speaker 1: By the way, can I take a shot? Are you on any networks with Alex Rodriguez?
Speaker 2: Let's hear it.
Speaker 1: Wow, Alex is so juicy, He's like purple. I was watching the finals. You know, these guys get so juicy. Their heads they're purple. They turn purple and their skin gets like translucent a rod bro, take your foot off the das over there.
Speaker 2: Well, he won MVP this year. He was juicy this year. Juicy al MVP, ju Jackie.
Speaker 3: Let's break down these New Jersey's popping out these devils real quick.
Speaker 5: This was the first year of the Brent Sutter era, leading the team for all you Brent Sutter heads out there, forty six twenty nine and seven. Finished fourth in the Eastern Division, second in the Atlantic. They were not a real high scoring team here, twenty six out of thirty two hundred and six goals on the season, and then the other way not that great either. Let up one hundred ninety seven, and this was the opening year of the Prudential Center, famous through the PRU baby down there in Jersey shut out eleven times during the season, which was a regular season high, and Marty Brodor got his five hundredth women this season. Some dude talk, this was bro Door, This was uh John Madden.
Speaker 2: This was this is kind of tail end of that run. Yeah, still some guys hanging on from the.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yet White still on there from the three team con weeks.
Speaker 2: Who's killing it?
Speaker 3: I see you looking at this, I see you looking at the roster right now, and you're liking a focus right now. What's the first thing coming to your fucking mind.
Speaker 1: What's what's so crazy is that my feud with bro Dure was so fierce, fierce terrible, like really nasty and mean that I had no idea Brent Sutter was even the coach of the New Jersey Devils.
Speaker 2: That was the first thing.
Speaker 1: I had no fucking clue who the coach was. I have no recollection of ever even looking over.
Speaker 2: Look at that, he's doing the math in his head. That's the fucking coach.
Speaker 1: When Sutter was the coach of the Devils that year, I had no idea, but like the feud had been going on for years, so it was so fucking heated anytime we went there, and we called it the Rock or they call it the Rock that that rink sucks. It's the worst. And it's in Newark, New Jersey, which is the hell on earth. Basically what started this feud with burndor that's how we stay in Canada, Brod. My first game getting traded from LA to the Rangers was against the New Jersey Devils in New Jersey and.
Speaker 2: It was just like perfect storm, you know, So were you pissed that you had to lead LA?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I was so happy.
Speaker 1: It was literally like Phoenix rising, like I was being reborn and I get to play the first game in New Jersey on the road. I'm gonna fucking turn it on so much. He like, everyone is gonna know who I am tomorrow in the New York area and New Jersey, which they definitely did right across there. Yeah, it was that game. It was like it was like that game.
Speaker 2: And so what started this feud with him?
Speaker 1: I ran him that game pretty fucking hard like, which is not a lot. It would be like after the kicker kicks a field goal if you ran full speed and just dropped your shoulder into the kicker and killed him, the extra point kicker, not the guy that kicks at the beginning, Like, what's he called the field goal kicker?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're both the same guy, they are. Yeah, so you go out, you take them out? Was that just because you wanted to let everyone know I'm here, I'm fucking Sean Avery, I'm arriving to New York.
Speaker 2: It just happened to be. You make it here, you make it anywhere. Yep. Yeah, bright lights, big city.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see the city from New York, so I'm basically there. It just so happened to be the most famous winning goaltender of all time, maybe one of the greatest school well yeah, probably possibly the greatest goaltender of all time.
Speaker 2: Do you still hate him? No, No, you respect him?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean I thank him, fucking yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He did a lot for me. I mean you need players like that on the other side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got it.
Speaker 3: That's there's healthy to have a little hate between teams. Yeah, it's getting too you know, it's too nice to buddy buddy.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: That makes there's there's a hatred in between the lines or on the ice. But there's always a respect once you leave. Yeah, you know, we turn into different humans when you're in there, at least I do.
Speaker 2: Well, No I do. I didn't.
Speaker 1: And in this particular situation, what sort of poured gasoline on the fire?
Speaker 2: Was I took it to?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 1: Uh, I took it to a place that you probably shouldn't take it to. There were no rules with me and bro Durham. Bro Dorr was going through some shit on his own whatever. It's kind of it's weird, all right. They called him uncle daddy and there was all this weird shit that went on.
Speaker 2: Nothing like.
Speaker 1: I think he hooked up with his wife's sister, right, I think that's what happened, And.
Speaker 2: That was did you let him know that? Yes? That was part of the feud.
Speaker 1: Part of the feud was was I took it to a place that it shouldn't have gone?
Speaker 3: So how a lot? So you're you're a big research guy for your rules.
Speaker 1: You researched other goalies, absolutely, and you you wanted.
Speaker 2: To know everything that made them tick.
Speaker 3: I call him touch points that what's what's another touch point you had with the guy?
Speaker 1: If my left winger fucked his sister in junior or college.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't have said that, but that I just went into that sick mode, you know what I mean, Like that's what guys say. I'm sorry, you know if in the NHL at that point in time, like it was, Yeah, it was ruthless, it was. It was with certain guys, and I played with a couple of guys. Steve Ott was also very good at it. You know, we were small guys in a big league and you did anything you could just survive. And it wasn't just you know, because we're allowed to do it, and football you're not allowed to do it. Yeah, you know, you get a flag, You get a flag right away. Here they don't do that. You can, you can. The jarring and the ship talking is NonStop. It's NonStop between the benches. Every time a guy skates by the bench, it's it's just like it's like recess with your boys.
Speaker 3: Yes, bro, just always it cracks me up watching you guys in your behaviors.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it'll be a guy has nothing to do with the play and a guy will just be skating like you did one time you just hit him.
Speaker 2: All they go by is that just like, hey, I'm here, fuck you.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, it was, And some of it was like retribution, some of it was you were trying to set it up.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of there's almost a lot of Baseball rules in hockey, like that hidden etiquette. There's a lot of that hidden etiquette stuff down people. If you're not a hockey head, you don't understand.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, And actually the culmination of like the game that we're talking about was it was two or three years of just this just this bad. When I look back on it, it was really dark, Like I remember it was dark, like coming back from New Jersey and I my fucking eye is I got a black eye, My mouth is all messed up. I was just in that shithole saying terrible things to him like it was a it was a real war zone, the Battle of the Hudson.
Speaker 3: Once the adrenaline dropped, the human and comes back out, Yeah, and Prob's sitting there like, man, that was a fucking Then you got to do it again the next night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once the tourt all wears off.
Speaker 3: Who is one of the guys that you loved getting under their skin other than not on this team, just in your career. One guy that you loved, he circled it. I want to get under his dude.
Speaker 1: There's well, there's a person on every team, but on this team it was David Clarkson. We had some legendary, legendary battles, legendary battles, and David Clarkson's a bad dude, you know, says bad things, plays a hard game, very very good player. He is fucking mean and tough, and he was nasty and you know, he was a little bit bigger than me, but but like he was dangerous and I hated I had to take that.
Speaker 2: My edge needed.
Speaker 1: Aaron Asham a fucking killer, a killer just put guys to sleep, you know, like literally put guys to sleep, knock guys out if you fought him. They had some bad dudes. Colin White was a bad dude. He you know, I think on the original play with the first original hit with Brodure, Colin White jumps me, like just gloves off and there's put you to the ground.
Speaker 2: Eight guys.
Speaker 3: What's going on in the dogpile? Is he saying shit? Oh god?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm trying to fish hook whoever I can fish hook and get the fuck out of there quickly. You know, you're getting smashed on the back of the head. Do anything the only thing that's off limits. It's like one of those unwritten rules. You know right away to tuck your hands because we got fucking skate blades.
Speaker 2: Yeah what I mean.
Speaker 1: And for some reason, hockey players have a sixth sense about that, where you like, that's the one thing because you're you're down there, but you're trying to like you're getting beat up too. Yeah, that's what's crazy the sport, Like you're actually allowed to beat people up on the ice.
Speaker 2: It's why.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be very hard to keep your balance. And I watch and so I was watching when you guys hold yeah, and you you gotta really rotate and keep your distance. But while you're on fucking skates, that's tough. Your groins must be very tight. Yeah, it's like catching a ball up over the middle. Different I mean, but guys, not trying to punch me under my gut. Well, you get a forearm on the teeth, so you know, but a shoulder into the sternum's just as bad. It's it's it's yeah, yeah, who's the hardest guy to get on? Who is the guy that was like, fucking I could get I could crack any anyone. You could crack anyone.
Speaker 1: Except one time when I played in Detroit my rookie year, uh, Colorado had an unbelievable player, captain winner Joe Sakic, And I'm on the bench and Sakic is in front of me lining up for a face off, and I lean over the bench and I just start motherfucking him about the suit that he wore into the game, because I saw him walk in and all of a sudden, I feel my jersey pull, like really pull me, pull me like my dad was pulling me, and fucking yanked me down on the bench beside me. And it was Brett Hall, who I lived in his garage. Brett Hall is one of the greatest players of all time. He kind of looked over at me and said, you will not speak to mister Sakkik in that way.
Speaker 2: And I was like, okay, Holly got it.
Speaker 1: And that was And so I never said anything from that moment on, I never said a word to Joe Sakic.
Speaker 2: He was he was off limbits, he was off limits.
Speaker 1: He was anointed off limits by someone who you know when he put that on, you were like, okay, because Holly would not say that about too many people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you lived in Brett Hall's fucking garage. Yeah, I used to live in a teammate's house for two years. Really, I just got to say the check and gonna be on the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, above his garage Deerborn. No, sorry, We were in uh, Birmingham, Michigan. Beautiful Birmingham, Michigan. The house was the jukebox and he drove an old Ta Bird and I just had to start the car in the morning. That was the only thing. And you know, he didn't take he wouldn't take my money.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah he hit a turned on the fucking eater. Yeah that's awesome. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then one night he came home after a game and I wasn't there, and my buddies had left these pot brownies in the fridge and he hadn't smoked weed in seventeen years, but he loved dessert. And the next morning I started the car. No, Holly and I went up to the to the their side of the house and Darcy's girlfriend at the time, she's like, Brett's in the uh in the walking closet. He's been doing snow angels since like four in the morning, and I'm like, what the fuck? He had no idea. He went home after the game and they're in the fridge and he buried like two or three of them.
Speaker 2: And those are the days where you make the butter. They're so so strong. Dudes.
Speaker 1: You eat one of those on a plane, you want to jump off the plane.
Speaker 2: And he ate three of them and was in a hole, went to Mars the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, bread Hule, greatest, greatest American great one of the greatest goal scores in the history of the NHL.
Speaker 2: If you brought him to the moon.
Speaker 1: In one word, before we move on to the Rangers, in one word, how do you describe the New Jersey Devils Filthy?
Speaker 3: I like that they are. They were at that point. Yes, filthy could be used in a good manner too, though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but when you associate it with the Hudson in Jersey and like dead bodies and shit, all kinds of shit, you know, I mean, it's true. Yeah, But by the way, there's parts of Jersey I love tenn of flying New Jersey.
Speaker 2: I love it. I would live there, you know. There's some nice parts of Jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the New York Giants play in New Jersey, I believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Meadowleans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so for the New Jersey Giants, they took a ring from me. Hey, that's what I call. I call the New York Islanders, the Long Island Islanders. That's so funny. They aint bad about that. Yes, yes, oh my god, I don't like it. Jaggie Litz. Jump into the New York Rangers. Get into these Rangers. Forty two, twenty seven and thirteen. Tom Rennie third in the Atlantic, fifth in the East.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: This was henriklen Quiz third season, led the league in shutouts with twelve.
Speaker 2: He was standing on his.
Speaker 5: Head, third year in a row, making the playoffs. Some big additions to this roster Scott Gomez, Chris Drury, both.
Speaker 1: In Wait a minute, that's why you did Vogue because Henry Hedrick he was stealing by thunder. He was so fucking good looking in those suits. You had to work in Vogue. That's the only reason you worked in Vote. Yeah, you're right, Actually, very intuitive of you. Yes, one of the greatest looking men ever in in the world. Just a stud too, Yeah, yeah, yeah, just a stud. Sorry for cutting you off. Jam math in my mind. Brother, Uh, some other guys on this team. This was Yager was on this team?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: Yep, oh, he certainly was, dude Jeremi or Yoger. How could you explain what he is? This guy?
Speaker 2: He's still playing, He's still playing insane fifty three.
Speaker 1: He owns a team in the Czech Republic, yea somewhere in the Eastern Bloc, one of I mean, oh fuck, Yog's didn't cut his toenails if he was on a scoring streak, like he thought that everything was like being about grounded and the power in his body. He had the biggest legs I have ever seen. They were so big, they were the biggest, you know, like like like a fucking offensive lineman. But but he could jump his vertical like an unbelievable athlete.
Speaker 2: Yeah, loved to gamble on football. He just like me.
Speaker 1: He was like he was so cool, you know, I grew up watching him. He was still firing at this point. Unbelievable, almost a point a game player. What a player. Yeah, A real honor to be able to have played with him. Honestly, he got to play some legends. Yeah, I got some serious guys that I lucky lucky. Just those old school heads. You know, those old heads were different, like they were like because they were in the eighties, so there was this generational thing that they and some of those guys defected. They were like actually defectors to the to the US, and I got them on, you know, not the tail end of their career, but at a good point where they were still firing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Eastern Bloc guys wild. Are they just a different breed?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean the Russians are. The Russians are incredible because they didn't have heat like six years ago, you know what I mean. Some of these guys seriously, they you know, at this point, like it was still like Russia. They didn't go home in the summer sometimes, like it's dangerous to be a Russian player. Russians are so much fun. I loved playing with them. Swedes are like Canadians. Checks are like Canadians, very similar, sort of like a little gritty and kind of like the well rounded guys. American guys were starting to come into their own. Palmarra Boston kid uh, Brandon Dubinsky was fucking out of his mind, Dubie. We had some wild dudes on this team. Now you ever drinking of that Russian gas? Yep, what is it? I mean they can put it in the car and the carl start and they just drink it. Yeah, they go, oh god hard. But I also played with Russians that liked like newer new age Russians, and they loved caviar. These guys, Russians like rich things. Yeah, they're just because, Yeah, it's funny. You guys don't play with you. Yeah, Russians are fucking wild man. We're just straight America. They're better tooting on this team, a complete wild man, like great guy. We played so hard too, great player, great player. How is Sean Avery as a hockey player? What was his scouting report? My god, as you get older, you realize like nothing was ever going to change my game. I could have been so much better and at what I did if I just did a little less of like the one thing that I did, which was just cause like complete fucking havoc. I guess with me, you could say that. And even I see people here in LA that season ticket holders, I only played here three years, a long time ago. They go, dude, I loved you on the team. We had no fucking idea what was going to happen from game to game, like, and that was kind of how it was. You know, you didn't know, you really didn't know, Like if I was, yeah, very unpredictable, always played hard, but my unpredictableness probably hurt me and my effectiveness, like in my focus lay twelve years long career.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah. What was it like playing in the Garden? I mean that had to be fucking pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is that one of the best for the hockey guys, the hockey world. I mean that's the mecca. It's the mecca, that's for everything. It's the best for everything, concerts, basketball, boxing, UFCU.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's built underground, so you like under a building. You're under a building, You're you're inside of the earth, and there's energy that that comes with that. Like the building sort of moves and you can feel you feel like you're in the center of New York City. Yeah, and the Dome it kind of it curves, but it never ends. It's it's the fucking mecca. And then you walk through the halls and you see the pictures of like Zeppelin, Fraser Alley, Republican National Convention, Democratic National Convention, like wild Ship, that's in and you can feel it in the walls. It's the best. It still is. It's it's the best arena in all of sports. I think you ever see Billy Juelire. I saw Billy Julie Billy there. Yeah, it's amazing. Yeah, I see Fish there, Fish guy. Yeah, Fish plays, Fish owns the garden. They've actually sort of Billy handed the mantle as far as live acts consecutive nights. Yeah, yeah, they'll they'll smash his record. But fucking Billy Joel Long Island guy, Like what a New York.
Speaker 2: I saw the Boston there too. Oh Springstek. I think that's nice. I'm jealous. That's a show. Yeah, that's a show.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 2: I mean that's but that's when you're in New York. You gotta see Conny.
Speaker 3: It's freezing in February, so you're gonna go to a goddamn concert. Yeah, you gotta go to concerts indoor.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 1: You can do anything. Go up to Carnegie Hall, you can watch like it's it never ends. You go downtown, go into a fucking k hole with mcaulay culkin for three days if you want, like, you go anywhere.
Speaker 3: You want to New York City right there like that. We'll be right back after this quick break. Can you describe to the football fans. We have a lot of football fans, we have a lot of hockey guys, a lot of hockey fans as well.
Speaker 1: But the agitator, it would be the cornerback with no rules whatsoever, Like he would just be able to go anywhere on the field and talk shit to anybody, including the fans, including the opposite team, coaches, fucking trainers, like everyone's on limits. Everybody is fair game. And I say cornerback because cornerback can rove a little bit.
Speaker 2: Is that true? He could what he's sort of rove, He's like a rower.
Speaker 1: He could be a safety, a safety more like a safety safety does that okay?
Speaker 2: So like an in box safety that drops out.
Speaker 3: So he can kind of go across the field and Nats can play a little linebacker. They could go outside and cover a fucking tight end if they have to, if it's man coverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be a safety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the art of the agitator in the NHL. And there's been some great ones, uh, all the way back to Kenny Linsman, who they called the Rat. He played in Boston. Yeah, he was a legend, a legend. The DNA of the of the agitator. Somebody generally on the small side, has a chip on their shoulder. This is the serial killer profile of an NHL agitator. Small definitely the smallest on his team. Growing up, everybody told him he wasn't gonna make it. Generally a really good skater and has a good mind for the game, but is also maybe came from a home where everybody didn't tell each other that they loved each other that much. Like it was sort of like like roughneck, rough but loving, but but but rough, like a fuck you would be heard all the time, yeah, or or you know a lot of passive aggressive stuff like if you didn't play well, like you know, it's not okay your grounding, Yeah yeah, maybe you don't eat tonight, It wasn't that bad. Generally, they uh uh, they have to have some flamboyant showmanship to them because you take a lot of heat, you generally have a target on your back. Yeah and yeah, yeah, that's kind of that's kind of it.
Speaker 2: Who's the agitators?
Speaker 3: The now that you like that you look and you say, all right, this kid's a good agitator in the league.
Speaker 1: It's really tough to kind of they've changed the rules so much they've.
Speaker 2: Not flirts with it. Who flirts? Who flirts with it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: You know, no, I can do that. Of course, there's still incredible agitators in the league. Uh, the Ka Chuck kid in Florida who just won the Stanley Cup last year and his teammates Sam Bennett, who actually, you know, when I think about Sam Bennett, who's won a Stanley Cup, maybe multiple Stanley Cups. Now, Sam Bennett is the ultimate rat shit disturber. And Sam Bennett fucking hurts people still. He hurt Marshan last year. Yeah, with a nasty like secret soccer punch. The art of the soccer punch is not it's a beautiful thing. And that was one of the greatest of all time because he masked it the.
Speaker 2: Art and did you suspend it after when they replay it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they the problem was they didn't have the right angle he got. He got lucky on that. You got to be a magician to be an adjectator. Yes, so you're David Blaine. Well yeah, some would say of the game. Yeah, yeah, you know, part of my career I didn't have two referees, so they brought the second refin and that made it tougher. But I used to I mean, I've shot like I used to shoot pucks at refs that I got pissed off at, and I would make it like I would mask it as like a dump in, you know what I mean, so I didn't see them the icne. Yeah, but it would just be at you know, neck high and going fucking ninety miles an hour.
Speaker 3: You put that thing anywhere you want anywhere? Are you still good with the stick?
Speaker 2: I haven't. I haven't held one in a while.
Speaker 1: But yeah, if we were playing road hockey, I'd be okay, No, it wouldn't matter because I would fucking I would smack your shins and shit, you know, and I would get and I would always have a stick in your armpit or in your fucking knee, and you just be like you wouldn't be able to play. So I would make up for my lack of sharpness immediately right away. I'd go like, okay, just instantly go to agitation. Yes, yes, geez, Jackie, continue it up before.
Speaker 5: We go real quick, Sean, can we get your mount rushmore of agitators real quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be Terry O'Reilly great Boston Bruin love it. I gotta go, Kenny Linsman, myself, Steve Ott, and Tuomo Rutu who was a Finnish guy who was very very effective broken English staking in won multiple Stanley Cups, Edmonton Oilers, New York Rangers as it was fucking legendary. Yeah, those are some good ones.
Speaker 2: Like I like that. I guess before we move on to the game.
Speaker 3: That's the teak in it too, Like wild names in hockey. Yeah, I think we have a kool Aid now. Oh yeah, fell there's or something.
Speaker 5: What's his name kool Aid mcinstry, Yeah, Ray Rays names coming laid.
Speaker 2: A sick fool name is yule Ad. Wow.
Speaker 5: Wild that's cool. He needs a deal, baby, get him a deal with kool aid man. Yeah right, popping through the wall? Baby, who's the team asshole? This team?
Speaker 2: Were you the team asshole? Yeah? I mean that's funny. I'm like looking to see him. That's a bigger asshole than me.
Speaker 1: No, No, I was the team asshole.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Brandon Shanahan number fourteen, who Shanny was the reason that I got traded to New York because I had played with him in Detroit. Shanny's now the president of the Toronto Maple Leafs. He's like, you know, Hockey Royalty, multiple Stanley Cups, gold medals for Canada.
Speaker 2: Shanny was my babysitter on this team.
Speaker 1: Like, Shanny was the guy anytime I did something and I went too far, he was the guy that I would get a call and I'd have to meet him at Nello's which is uptown, like seventieth in Madison. It was like going to see the Grandfather, like sitting down outside on a patio or inside if it was it was wintertime, and his legs would be cross. He'd be doing a crossword puzzle and he would just like tell me that I fucked up and that I need to be better, you know, and he would guilt me into into like recorrecting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had every once in a while. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you remember a specific time that you got called into the Godfather's office uptown?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was actually so good. I was playing in LA and we had our all star break and he told me to fly to New York because he needed to sit down and vet me before they pulled off the trade. And then two weeks so I went, and two weeks later I got traded to New York. That was like the first that was like the real that was like being accepted into the family moment. But I, you know, I knew Shanny. We had played together, we were close. But and then before our first playoff game that we ever played together, and.
Speaker 2: We were at Nello and I was so fucking nervous.
Speaker 1: It was my first playoff game in New York at the Garden, and he was so calm. He was so calm, and I was like, what the fuck is wrong with you? Aren't you nervous? He goes, No, I left my three Stanley Cup rings at home. Okay, I just kind of like follow that lead of you know, that's what they have. They have that common presence. That's but I was out of control on this team for sure. Now, so he's a legend on the team. There's a bunch of legend on this team. What was that dynamic in this locker room? Like was it a chill locker room? Were you guys close? What was that dynamic?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So even like the locker rooms at MSG, they have a vibe. It's like it's like going into so hard to explain because the Knicks locker room is attached to ours, so like we all have the same door and they just go to the right and we go to the left. So when we get changed into our underwear before the game, we are in a Knicks locker like I would be in Stephan Marbury's locker putting my We call it getsch It's like our the stuff we heard. Yeah, so that locker room has this uh it's like walking into a sacred ground, like a hollowed room. It has this vibe to it, unlike any other room, I know, beautiful locker rooms. You guys had one the jets, you see that.
Speaker 2: This was a thing.
Speaker 1: So like the music was a vibe, and we had a lot of Europeans, so we only listened to like heavy techno trance, like fucking hard ship before games. Yes, and you could hear it because it would bounce off the walls. And the Knicks put the sickest sound system in ever, you know. So it was a party. This team was a party team. We had a lot of partiers on this team and every game.
Speaker 2: Was a party. Who's the party animal.
Speaker 1: On this team? We had some guys that went hard. I mean I definitely went the hardest for sure.
Speaker 3: So you got asshole, you got partier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so you're in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was in it too fast, moving way too fast at this point. First to say it, I just signed a.
Speaker 2: Four year deal. Yeah, way too way too fast, way too fast. Let's jump into the game before we move on. Just because I saw that Nigel Doz was on this team. Yeah, and he's a unique player in that he never really quite stuck in the NHL. But is the case a kind of the kh a legend. What was it like playing with him? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Dozzy also half black, which is a rarity in our sport, you know, Toronto kid. Yeah, he went on to play like a lot of years in the KHL, which is the Russian version of the NHL, which is a very very good league. Does he played pretty good for us?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 1: You know, how is their payover there? They make big money? Oil money, Yeah, oil money. Now are they allowed to come home?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They come home with bags of cash multiple times over the course of the year, or they send family members with bags of cash home. It's the wild West over there.
Speaker 2: HL. That's so crazy. That's why I'm so fascinated.
Speaker 1: When we won in two thousand and two. I went to Russia with we had feder Off Larry onof we had a lot of Russians. Anyways, I went to the Kremlin. They took the Stanley Cup. They had a parade there, like that's a whole different world, and there's a lot of people over there. They love hockey too, and hockey is their sport. Yeah, you know Canada Russia seventy two. The Russians are incredible players, great for the game. And Detroit was the was the birthplace of them defecting really yeah, yeah, there's a great documentary called The Russian Five.
Speaker 2: You should watch. We have to watch that. We'll watch it, all right, Jackie, let's break down this game. You want to get in the lead up real quick? Said this, yeah, lead up all right.
Speaker 5: So over the final month of the season, both teams were around five hundred. The Rangers went seven to eight, Devils went nine and seven. The Rangers owned them all season seven and one. That lone loss coming the final game of the season. Wow, which would decide Howie advantage here? Uh, Devil's one, three, two and o T And that was the final game of the year.
Speaker 1: I had no idea that Games one and two were on the road, wild right, just blackout.
Speaker 2: I had no clue. I guess it just didn't matter.
Speaker 1: Like at that at this point it was such it was so fun and so like nasty, it didn't matter. I probably liked going I think I did like going there more now I like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you like being the villain? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is is there a different energy? And I'm I'm assuming yes, But can you explain the energy difference between regular season hockey?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and fucking playoff hockey?
Speaker 3: Because I explained it all the time in football, there's difference between training camp speed to when you have a preseason game to when you go to the regular season and then playoffs, and each week in playoffs like balls to the walls.
Speaker 2: There's no business decisions.
Speaker 3: Guys are literally trying to kill ye because there's no more games. Like, can you explain that energy?
Speaker 1: The jump between the play and the regular season and the playoffs. It's so exponential, it's it's it's like a thing that I think is just baked into us, Like it also becomes a performance. It's it's more life and death. The fans and everything gets baked into it. Playoff hockey, it's just a better game. It's a sharper game everything. There's no you know, we play eighty two games, so the first twenty of the seasons sometimes they're a little bit sloppy. Yeah, trying to work out your power play, penalty kill.
Speaker 3: Which is like ours in our league as of late last five six years, the first three games, four games, because they've killed practice time in training camp, right, has become sloppy right there.
Speaker 2: You can see it. You can see it.
Speaker 5: And then John mentioned games one and two, both of those four to one in two to one.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: So then that brings us to Game three here, a Sunday afternooner at the Garden, up two to zero in the series. First period starts out dradon goals.
Speaker 2: Devils came out flying around.
Speaker 1: Wow, we lot we uh, I didn't know they scored the first one.
Speaker 2: Then then do he tied it up?
Speaker 1: And then we go on the power play a five on three in the second period. Yep, that was a second period goal. Yep, six fifty six.
Speaker 5: That was the the famous So that was after I had done the thing, yes, okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Scoring the goal off the f right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So what's the thing? Take us beat for beat? What the thing is all right, the thing is here.
Speaker 1: This is perfect, the difference between the regular season and the playoffs and the regular season, my job immediately was go to the front of the and try and make number thirty go crazy, all right, And in doing that sometimes I would take a penalty because you know, you're just it's like a little bit looser and the stakes clearly are not as high, but you're in a different mindset. So now you're in game three of the first round, and during the regular season, normally I would go to the front of the net, and the traditional way to stand in front of the net is you stand facing your defenseman so that you can visually see the shots for tippins, because that's a big part of the game. Yeah, guys have made their careers just being great net front guys, being able to have hand eye and tip pucks in. And Dino Cicirelli was incredible. Thomas Holmstrom, who I played with in Detroit, one of the greatest ever. The problem was Brodure was such an og this guy five hundred NHL wins that I when I did it in the playoffs, I think probably in Game one, I went to the net traditional and I get a fucking I get jabbed in the back of the knee, poked in the back of the knee, but in the most perfect spot where when you're on skates, if you get poked in the back of the knee, you go ass over tea kettle. So he poked me and I fell into him. He sold it and I got a penalty. So now I just put this he poked the bear. Well, not only did he poke the bear, he beat the bear. He out tricked the bear, he outsmarted the bear. The wise man knew, well, you're like a little cub right now, Yes, you're a cub.
Speaker 2: You're not even a bear, right.
Speaker 1: And I'm now I'm like out of my element, and I go, holy fuck. Because the stakes are high. I have to figure out how to not get penalized because I want to stay on the ice, I want to score, I want to be effective. So the cub had to go to the penalty bucks. And it's just where the cub became a bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, at this point, and this was the triggering effect, we get a five on three, which a five on three power play in the playoffs very rare. That means they have two penalties, right now two guys have to go off the ice. We have five, they have three. That's a big moment, right, have to score, You have to score, have to score.
Speaker 2: It's it's like do or die.
Speaker 1: And if you don't score on five special teams, this is like a yeah, special teams.
Speaker 2: Right, this is.
Speaker 3: Denver having a thirty six yard kick to beat the Chiefs to win the game.
Speaker 2: You got to hit it. What happens?
Speaker 3: The Chiefs blocked the fucking field goal. Yeah, it came up with the play. What a block?
Speaker 2: It's fucking crazy. So we get the five on three.
Speaker 1: Let me let me play this through because a lot happened on this play now that I'm seeing it, because I'm looking at the time. What time was their second penalty taken? Can we find that out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me take a look.
Speaker 1: Care because I would trigger the five on three. So I go, okay, holy shit, we're on a five on three. It's Game three Stanley Cup Playoffs. We're in New York. We're up to nothing in the series. I cannot take a penalty.
Speaker 2: Now. What people don't understand.
Speaker 1: Is is that for me to go to the front of the net and turn around, it's not safe because you can get to take a I got Yogurt and I got Shanahan on the points for one timers, and when you're in a five on three, the box gets condensed, so now instead of them being sixty feet away, they're like thirty feet away. In our equipment, we don't have any padding in our backs because the game's always sort of played at the front, like we go at guys, yeah, and we take hits to the side, like there's nothing in your back. So I go, okay, fuck it. I gotta figure out a way to not take a penalty. But I also have in the back of my head like if Yog's hits me with a one timer in my back, he's gonna break my back, Like he's gonna fucking break my spine. But I don't want to take a penalty, so I gotta figure I go. You know, these guys are the two of the greatest shooters of all time, Shanahan and uh Yoger. At the point, I'm gonna be fine. And I remember the moment when I got off the bench because you can see it. I kind of come off the bench and we enter into the zone and you can see me like going just blining it to the front of the net, which is where I'm supposed to be, and at some point from my skate from the bench to the goal, which is about I don't know, probably eighty feet. I figured that this is what I was gonna do, and like I have, it seered into my head. What brodure, what he looked like, his eyes, what they were saying to me when I went in front of him. No one had ever seen this before, like ever, Like no one had done anything so stupid or weird.
Speaker 3: Because it's a crazy that you could take a puck to the back and maybe become paralyzed.
Speaker 2: Because these things are fucking crazy.
Speaker 1: B Because etiquette, Yeah, how come people have never sortsmanship?
Speaker 2: Sportsmanship? Maybe? So we're in playoffs, yeah, playoff energy.
Speaker 3: Like we talked ten minutes ago, we said, fuck sportsmanship, fuck my life, the guard, my spine.
Speaker 2: We're in the garden. Yep, I gotta do.
Speaker 1: I cannot get fucking penalty points.
Speaker 2: I can't go in the box. I can't go in the box.
Speaker 3: So you sacrificed your life and sportsmanship for this fucking.
Speaker 2: We got to keep this five on three?
Speaker 1: Maybe, Yeah, I gotta keep this five on three because you know ultimately, like I want to go because I am at war with this school. So if I can tie this whole thing together somehow and I can bury one on him, I got two on him in the series. And let's just both times I scored on him, I reminded him immediately after, like they would throw a flag in football, they would go, oh take that, yeah, taunting. Yes, I would go right to him and tell him terrible things about the ship, that he's done off the ice and that I just fucking scored on you. Did you see that goal? Fucking didn't get it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: So it was war, right, And that's what happened, is no, there's what is it? What's the There's no fair in love and war's fair. And and by the way, you know, he wanted me. They were trying to hurt me, and it was it was good. It was like perfect. It was the perfect storm. So, oh what happens? I do the thing. I put my hand in front of his face. Right, he moves one way and I moved the other way. And I think he thinks I'm only going to do it maybe like once, and I'm not going to really stick with the bit. But I stuck with it, so anytime he moved and we had a couple of shots in the process, I have no idea what's going on. I can hear the shots being taken, so I'm sort of like trying to feel it. I'll lift my leg up or kind of move with bro Dirt because he's trying to Goalies have to try and find the puck, whether you're looking at them or away from them.
Speaker 1: That's part of their job. They got to track the puck. And a moment happens. It goes down to the back door to Scotty Gomez, who I'd played with all year, and I don't know, man, I just kind of like I just stood there and I was already facing that direction, so I didn't need to do sort of a one eighty to Scottie, who was in the corner with the puck. He could just it was a direct line to me, and it's sort of how it played out, A direct line to me, who's already staring at Brodure like kind of doing this, and then I can I just that's it. I'm here, and I get a pass and I bury it a one timer, and like the fucking place just went nuts, Like it went fucking nuts.
Speaker 3: What is Brodure saying that? You know, I was so I didn't did he have a name for you or what did he call you? Do he call you Sean? He has broken English, so it's kind of no. He he almost didn't really speak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I got this guy so mad that he couldn't speak. It's basically the situation anytime we played them, And you can see by the way from that season series we played them eight times. Well, you guys, how many times do you play another team.
Speaker 3: Twice in the division and then so the playoffs? Imagine playing a that you know him inside out eight times eight times.
Speaker 1: And we beat them seven out of those eight games. So, like, I was so far up this guy's ass that he wanted me dead. He would he would definitely, he would not have shed a tear. If I fucking popped up on the back page of the New York Post debt, he would be happy about that. It was fucking war. I scored the place went crazy, and that was kind of where it was just all in the same thing.
Speaker 2: It was like the same minute is the and you know, and this idea came up on the forty feet ice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, however, far it is from the bench to the goal line.
Speaker 2: At MSG. You didn't think about this on the bench. It just you never thought about it once.
Speaker 1: And the funny thing was Chris Drury, who's now the general manager of the New York Rangers. He's he's on the back door, so he's like, back door on my right side, left side, whatever side doesn't depending on what side you're facing. Back door. The ref's yelling at me in the corner. He's telling me to knock it off more or less. But there's no rule in this.
Speaker 2: So I'm like saying to him, what what what?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: We're talking, like you can see it. There's a conversation. I'm talking to the ref. He's like telling motherfucking me, telling me he's gonna give me a penalty. I'm like, there's no fucking penalty. And then Drury comes from the back door. He skates over and he whispers into my ear while the play's happening, aves He's gonna give you a penalty. And I kind of turned to Drew. I'm like, for what. And then at this point Drew's like, yeah, no, I gotta go back to my spot. And then that that was it. It went to Gomer to me, and I scored and it now did you go? But you went back to it the Knicks. Well, here's what happened. Oh man, dude, all right, there's a rule Okay, the NHLPA, which is our union. You have one NFLPA, the NHLPA, which is our union. They have to approve any rule changes. They do it at the Border Governor's meeting in Palm Beach, Florida in the summer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's as owners meeting. Yes, like they proposed new rules. They all vote on it. Standard in all league procedures.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I went out after the game. I went out. I didn't go home. I went out. I know exactly where I went. I went down to Tribeca. My buddy had a restaurant and I went out.
Speaker 4: And uh.
Speaker 1: I remember in the middle of the night waking up and I had to go to the bathroom and I was like, fuck, I had blood. I had a cut and my pillow was like covered in blood. And uh I just like I had this thought about something, I could feel something happening. I wake up in the morning and I get into the Rangers sent town cars for us, Like that's how we would get to the practice.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like literally a black Town cars in front of your building. You just walk outside and they drive you to the rink. And Manny was the driver, and he had heard because he drove our GM. He had already dropped off our GM. So I think there was a phone call. Long story short, they changed the rule overnight, like they put an official release out. I think they thought it was so it was dangerous for the game or something, or it was so radical that everyone was in agreement on both sides unofficially maybe, although no one ever asked me. I never got a call they changed the rule. The rule was changed that next day. So moving forward, like in the series and all the other series with the other teams playing for the Lord Stanley's Cup, the rule was changed, and no one ever told me why or how they did it. And like I said, I was moving way too fast, and I wish I had a fucking stopped, and like said, hey, can somebody just kind of put something on paper here so I can frame it? Maybe just kind of let's mark this thing, and and but no, I you know, I was in the middle of a series. Also, yeah, we had we had to play game four and now we're in a series because they beat us in ot so we're two to one.
Speaker 2: Now, how did the hockey world take this? Dude? Everyone hated me so much.
Speaker 1: That I think, like other teams and shit, everyone was just like, yeah, no, you got to make you know. There was no nobody stood up and said, hey, you can't do this right. Yeah, And I'm in the middle of a series and like I had to figure out how to now not take a penalty again in game four? Yeah, with bro Dure because it wasn't gonna stop.
Speaker 3: Any players from other teams text you or anything. Anyone text you, dude. Two thousand and eight, was I on a sidekick keyboard? Yeah? Yeah, the seven iPhone came out.
Speaker 1: All right, so I was on a first gen iPhone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, again, I can't even remember really, like I I remember where I went after the game that night.
Speaker 2: Do you remember what the boy said to you on the bench afterwards? I remember what.
Speaker 1: Chris Drewy said. I can still you know Madison Square Gardens lowed. Yeah, like to have a player come up beside you, your teammate and whisper or sort of not whisper but kind of like yell in your ear because he's got to get over he's got a fuck.
Speaker 2: It's chaos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, be like stopping in a play, in the middle of a play a route and having a conversation with a guy and then like finishing the route. I don't know, but we're you know, we play a sport which is somewhat weird where we go really fast at times, but then at times we're all stopped. Yeah, standing still playing tic tac toe with a ball with like a puck. It's interesting that way. But no, I can't remember what anybody said, who knows?
Speaker 2: Have you ever talked to Bordeu about it? Later? I have, like what's his name? I like this?
Speaker 1: It sounds like South Park almost, by the way. Fun fact about Martin Brodure. His dad was a world famous photographer for the Montreal Canadians. Like he was the in house photographer for the Forum in Montreal, which uh you know, I think Ali fought there. Like his dad was was Canadian royalty and his son now just played his first game as a goalie for the New Jersey Devils.
Speaker 2: Wow, good guys.
Speaker 3: If one if if one's a hockey goalie, one's a you know, photography, got a good eye. Right, you're right, you're you see ship that's wild. Probably eat the carrots, a lot of carrots. Vitamin A yeah, yeah, good for your eyes. You gotta make a comebacks. You can score in his kid. So yeah, imagine we're talking little he's gonna go up in there.
Speaker 2: There you go there. It is a little nash like hockey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does. I'm trying to keep him away from it for a little bit. They can play like I started when I was eight. Yeah, you know, but you grew up around it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we played like Yeah, they don't do that here though, Right, you grew up in Laurel Canyon. You can't fucking put the skates on. And he'll play backyard hockey.
Speaker 1: On No, No, there's too many hills. No, I know, I don't know. You know, Yeah, he'll play. Wow, what is this? This is?
Speaker 5: Let's let's hear the aftermath, every rule, wrap this thing up. There were eleven penalties in the second period.
Speaker 2: Uh. The Devil's got two power play goals.
Speaker 5: Then Dominski tied it up again in the third uh, and then an ot John Madden Boom scored the game winning goal.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: In the Devil's took game three, and then the Avery rule came into effect.
Speaker 2: As we just spoke about, Oh my god, I don't even remember there's seventy five point one the amendment.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, no, but the w NBCTV cameras, so now I remember what that picture was from, or there's like a video. Holy shit, dude, my fucking brain just exploded. You know, you remember things like yeah that you didn't yeah, because you it's it's people want to say, because you probably played a contact sports.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, my ct Yeah. But it's more.
Speaker 3: About I think that you have so many other things going on in your life.
Speaker 2: It's like a processor. You get too much gigabytes, you forget about.
Speaker 1: Also at this point, when you're in the middle of a series, like do you remember, do you remember what?
Speaker 4: How?
Speaker 1: And from game one of what nfcas to the Super Bowl Final, like the narrative and piecing all those.
Speaker 3: It'd be more like do I remember a play from a certain game? Because you guys have so many games, right, you know, there's a lot of times where I don't remember, but someone will come on and we'll talk about and then it reunites thatthing like you just exploded.
Speaker 1: I just felt that it's a deja vu, but it's not okay. So the next day I went to practice. I had probably just found out an hour before. When I got in the town car. I get to practice. All the fucking cameras are there. They're all like lined up because the NHL is issued an amendment to the unsportsman like Conduct rule, which seventy five had probably an amendment. It's like that's like the Constitution moother shit. For Fox's sakes. It probably hadn't been changed in seventy years, who knows. So the cameras are all there, and I come out and the first thing I do I skate up to hammera row and I just fucking flipped them the verge like I think with my glove on. Actually is the picture? Holy fuck man? I so yeah, I was. I was really out of control, clearly, and I haven't even I've never read it. Here it is, and then sportsmanlike conduct minor penalty will be interpreted and applied effective immediately to a situation. This is the amendment, by the way, that's a long amendment to a situation. When an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face for the purpose of improperly interfering with and or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try and make a play. A Colon Campbell, the NHL director of Hopey Hockey Operations, said in a statement, how the fuck did they write that overnight?
Speaker 2: That that's like wild?
Speaker 5: They got a lot of lawyers because that says a lot of different things, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: Basically you can't like do anything in the goalie space anymore?
Speaker 2: Or what's distracting?
Speaker 1: That's an amendment? I've never read that. That is you not an a amendment. That is your amendment? Holy fuck, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning him himself to try and make a play. Oh I see, Oh, I see, you get it?
Speaker 2: Kind of kind of what do you see?
Speaker 1: I see another loophole to a loophole somewhere. I don't know, I mean, I just there's a loophole somewhere. Now is this the original one?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: If you get penalized, are you gonna do you have like a little court right there with the ref like with the loophole, yea, how can you explain the loophole? Well, what's interesting? And so this is seventy five point one. Yeah, rule seventy five point one unsportsmanlike conduct. This is the original one. Unsportsmanlike conduct. Players in non plane club personnel are responsible for their conduct at all times and must endeavor to prevent disorderly conduct before, during, or after the game, hon or off the ice in any place in the rank. The referees may assess penalties. Okay, so that's just like a general thing, like you can't be an asshole, right, yeah, there must be seventy five point two and things like that. I would say, Okay, that breaks it down a little bit, like you can't yell at fans directly maybe things like that. That amendment's wild. That is unbelievable. Wow, Wow, thank you for this.
Speaker 2: I doesn't feel like to like have the league move that quick for something you did. Well. Now, it was the first time.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I swear to God that I can kind of look at it and just put it all into like a box, like I can I sort of see all of it and when it happened now I kind of feel and understand it. I mean I was fucking out of control, clearly. That amendment is that is the wildest thing I've ever read. That Is it called an amendment or we just given it the name amendments somewhere right, yeah, everywhere?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The NHL issued an amendment to the Unsportsmanlike Conduct rule to cover the situation.
Speaker 2: Whatever happened to I'm just a bi gap.
Speaker 3: Remember those things. Yeah, you get to go to Capitol Hill. This thing got right there. Executive or executive order order. Yeah, it was an executive or executive ordered.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can write them and and that's your day to just go.
Speaker 3: You just there's no let it rip like Roger for our league commission, there's a rule where he could. It's like basically he can do whatever he wants rule what day?
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Or just any time anytime veto you can't he's got he's the last veto on anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, or.
Speaker 1: Nobody can actually veto anything that he does, right. Kind of this is also puts this whole thing into perspective because like we went on to win the series, am I let it rip? Then we lost quickly to Pittsburgh's Sydney Crosby.
Speaker 2: Kyler's team.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is the start of their little run, the losing to the Red Wings Flurry. Yeah, Malkin, what a team, Max Talbot, let's haang, great team. How fucking go the biggest defenseman I have ever played against in my life. Like he was huge, he was a giant man on skates. And he gets the puck in the corner. Game three, it was the first period and I'm at the blue line. I'm like, I'm gonna fucking kill hal Gil. This is my time to kill hal Gil. I go one hundred miles an hour at hal Gil and hit him dead square on, like I try and kill hal Gil. Hal Gil stands there and I bounce off.
Speaker 1: Of him, and I'm like thinking to myself, I think I just tore my abdominal. Okay, I was dead. I thought I tore my abdominal. I went back to the bench rammer or trainer, I said, I tore my abdominal. I need a tor it All shot in between periods. So we go in. He gives me a tourd All shot. And so there's two on the day. This second one too quick to get a second one yeah, all right, we lose Game three. I am assume. I don't even fucking know. I can't even remember that. Finishing the game, I went into the cold tub after the game, and the moment I got into the cold tub, I felt like somebody stabbed me in my shoulder. And Doc Feldman, our team doctor, was four feet away and he saw it. And the moment he saw it, he was like, get him, get your clothes on, get him dressed, and we got to go to the hospital. And they took me to the hospital in the back of a cab. I guess that is one of the referrals of a lacerated spleen. I last rated my spleen on that hit that I thought I was gonna kill hal Gil actually almost killed me. And I spent four days in ICEU of Saint Vincent's, which is not even a hospital anymore. They tore it down, where a majority of the gays in New York during the AIDS crisis died in this hospital. A It was a really like symbolic, like deep hospital and I almost died in that hospital. So that was the end of the fucking season. That was just like that, that whole run. That's how hard it went. It was going so hard and I and I, yeah, I almost died because I had this type of laceration that it was a squirting laceration.
Speaker 2: So we got a squirter, I got We had a squirter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they had to keep going in and cauterizing, trying to cauterize. You gotta burn it, but you can't. They could only see it when it was squirting, so they had to keep going in four or five times over four days.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, brutal. You know.
Speaker 3: The aftermath of the Averrull game, the hockey guy said, hey, hey, son, can.
Speaker 1: I tell you one more funny story about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's hear it.
Speaker 1: I was in the ICU still and uh. I had a friend, not even a romantic friend, a girl by the name of May Anderson, who was like a Danish supermodel. She was She was incredible, she is. May was awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She was with another girl friend of mine, Lauren Flynn, and Jim Dolan, who owns the New York Rangers and the New York Next He won't let me into the stadium gohead really yeah, we got I got Celtics courts, I'd see twins and he wouldn't let me go facial Well he's got facial recognition now, so you're fucked. Charles oak Bro Yeah, best owner in sports. I love playing for Dolan. Let me just get that straight right now. Uh, you can go to the ship. He came and visited me at the hospital and May Anderson was sleeping in my hospital bed with me in it, just like because there's no beds in there, and she's tiny. She got the end. She's on the end of the bed sort of like I don't I'm almost dying. And Jim Dolan walked in and that's the scene that he walked in on.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, Jim you guys really bluebo Jimbo. He had a laugh ga sense of humor, be like be like craft walking in. Yeah, you got it. Light the mood, the mood, light the mood. Light in the mood is right, Jesus.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 1: All right, let's score the game. Still, dude, you guys just saw my brain explode on here. So yeah, name the game. Let's name the game. This is the averall game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, appreciated game.
Speaker 3: Score the game. Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score it stakes zero to ten stakes of this game decimal's okay, Sean all right.
Speaker 1: So Messier guaranteed a Game seven win against the New Jersey Devils. They went on to win the Stanley Cup in ninety four. So as far as the Battle of the Hudson goes, it's second place.
Speaker 2: Uh what does that mean? It's an eight.
Speaker 9: It's nice, all right, Yeah, that's a pro score. Pro Score just had Danny DeVito on the show. He's producing a show with Mark Messi about Game sevens. They covered that game in it.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, wow, oh I oh, yes, I've seen this. Okay, I need to watch it. Yeah, good, it's good. Okay, I'm gonna score it a. I'll give it a eight point one. It's playoff game, playoff game game. There's a lot of heat there. You got a little rivalry cross town or whatever cross six.
Speaker 5: Point slightly Russian judge of me, Jax a hater a little bit later, sorry six point jack.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I'm doing over here. I'm just wild.
Speaker 3: I just don't let them. I just don't let him get off the ground. That's a good score. Star power zero to ten decimls. Okay, the people that played in it. Maybe the people that are at it, I mean the star power. Oh yeah, oh, hall of famers.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, this this is a this could compete with with. Yeah, there was Liam Neeson. We had some big Margot Robbie I think was at that game. If you go to wire image nice, give it an eight point wire I'll give it an eight point nine.
Speaker 5: Let me get some watermark star you're in New York, Yeah, yeah, I give you.
Speaker 2: I give you eight five. Rangers rosters stacked legend.
Speaker 3: Mine's a little biased because I don't know hockey guys that well. So like if I knew the the amount of studs on this as much as a five is nice, it's yeah.
Speaker 2: I forgot Margot Robbie such a big Ranger fan. Yeah yeah, I kind of seven point eight. I had an eight point one.
Speaker 1: Nice the game player of the game one to ten decimals, Okay, I mean.
Speaker 2: A lot of penalties, A lot of penalties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really nice. It was like Americana. I'll go in eight one. I'm like that eight five again, because I mean we got a fucking rule name after the game time, No seven, I went seven to four. Now you gotta you got a grade the name of the game.
Speaker 2: Every rule game, av rule game. Good.
Speaker 1: It's so cultural history. Like people know this fucking game. And I've told people that I'm having you on, like my hockey friends. Yeah, and they go, what game you doing. I go, I'm doing We're doing the Aver rule game. He goes, oh, fuck that motherfucker. Yeah. It's like I guess I could die knowing. Like I mean, Jordan had a flu game. It was it was an identifiable game. That's this game, right that, I mean the rule game.
Speaker 3: The Constitution of Hockey passed in an amendment and an executive decision to pass an.
Speaker 2: Amendment for this rule because of this game. Because of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the name of this game. Yeah. Let me let me go.
Speaker 2: I'll go a nine one, I'll go a flat nine. Okay.
Speaker 3: I like it because and my test to that is because I I have like a select few hockey friends, right, and I go, I just throughout that we're doing the Avery game.
Speaker 1: Oh, everyone knew it. You know, those are these generally high scores.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be game. It's gonna be pretty good. I was eight too here again too low. You can't call the history of the NHL without the Sean Ay, that's right, baby, sir.
Speaker 4: Eight.
Speaker 3: So it's eight one. Where does that stack up in all the games we've done?
Speaker 2: A point one zero? That puts us right here. It's gonna be our twenty seventh game overalls, just above UFC two twenty nine could be Bruce McGregor, and just below the two thousand and seven Western Conference Playoffs game six Mas versus Warriors, Mark Cuban and Dana White, good company.
Speaker 1: Listen, I'll take that. What a what a what a list? Look at that list? Holy shit, hockey games, man, some games. Yeah no, that's a very healthy spot to be in. That is actually, thank you.
Speaker 3: That's our that's our second highest ranked I believe hockey game.
Speaker 5: This is the travesty, right behind Miracle on Ice America and Ice four.
Speaker 2: Overall we have three Patriots games.
Speaker 1: We know you guys have a little bit of American bias for sure, not a little.
Speaker 2: That's a wilder.
Speaker 1: When I look at that list and you got the Miracle on Ice at four, Wow.
Speaker 2: What is a travesty? Here's I'm looking at this. The twenty eleven Stand Cup Final Game seven Bruins Canucks is fiftieth the Riots. Yeah yeah, let alone.
Speaker 1: But what was twenty eleven Mavericks versus Heat? Was that a good series game?
Speaker 2: Six? That's just okay? Mark Mark Cuban came in and scored it outrageous. Got it revamped. Our scoring system became after we had to read that's why we started the number game and it was like this is oh he's a marketing genius, my god system. So we used to just do the score B and then we were like, okay, jewels scores, we score. He scored just too with it. Well, he knows how to do.
Speaker 5: He knows the algoid's wild.
Speaker 2: Wow, sha we miss anything from this game?
Speaker 1: Uh, dude, I wish cameo was around back then. You know how many fucking cameos I would have gone.
Speaker 2: They had merch outside of the stadium, didn't I already selling a bootleg? Yeah, I'm one of my friends. Do I see your camera? Lot?
Speaker 1: People love? Sean Avery cameos. Sean Avery cameos. I just told uh a loving husband that he was welcoming a new child to the family, second child. I do everything I break up, I said, divorce notices. I fucking you got anything you want cleaned up? I can do it on cameo. Yeah, so everyone Sean avery on cameo.
Speaker 3: Just go and watch them. They're fun to just be very fun to watch. Out all his TikTok Instagram pages. Oh yeah, TikTok. Yeah, TikTok.
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 3: Sean avery At, I'm Sean Avery. I am Sean Avery. Fucking fun. Thanks man, I appreciate you coming on, dude. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah, appreciate it. Guys. Thanks great, ma'am. We need more hockey, guys, love mysole. Hey, hit the nail on the head, brother, lovable asshole. I told you you're right. You just he's just unfiltered.
Speaker 3: Like if he says something, he'll say it right to your face what he believes, and no one's off limits.
Speaker 2: Hey, he keeps his it's right, there's some respect behind that. I messed with it, man.
Speaker 5: A person that could do that built a career off that fucking past standing on business. He's a beast.
Speaker 2: I loved him.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm trying to come to the block parties, man, the block part roll through his I'm trying to roll through the LORDL Canyon.
Speaker 2: Maybe little canyon man, block parties. Awesome.
Speaker 5: Property values just went up knowing that Sean Avery's in the neighborhood keeping it safe.
Speaker 1: He keeps gosh, I don't know, exacting like a hot but guy, yeah, it does.
Speaker 2: It does feel safe having him up there. I felt safer with him in the in the in the room.
Speaker 1: Here our beef with affleck like practically squatched, knowing that Sean's on our side. Now with that a doubt, with that a doubt. That was a fun episode.
Speaker 2: If I'm getting in like a bar fight once shown on My Team.
Speaker 3: Brawl, He's getting a pool stick, he's breaking a bottle, jabbing someone like, getting him in the gut.
Speaker 2: That's how you gotta do it. Maybe, yeah, hey, all is fair.
Speaker 1: The art of what he say, uh oh, mask, it's right.
Speaker 3: I mean the one goalie or the one ref to the two refs. He's like, yeah, you know, two refs is a little tough.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, two sets of eyes out there watching you. Man. That was fun. That was awesome, awesome.
Speaker 3: It's time for the Chill Zone, brought to you by cores Light.
Speaker 2: Get cores delivered straight to your door.
Speaker 3: Visitcorslight dot com, slash gwn celebrate responsibly. Today we're hitting the old hotline or should we say the cold line again? That number is four two four two nine one two two nine zero.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 7: Hey, guys. So I'm a big Patriots fan, of course, and I lived through both dynasties. And one thing that they both had in common is of reliable passing down running back.
Speaker 2: So Jules played with both Kevin Falk.
Speaker 7: And H James White, and then Shanebourine was in the middle. I was wondering if you could compare and contrast them on the field and off the field.
Speaker 3: Thank you, wow, little scatbag love Well. Kevin Falk was like the innovator, uh, Kevin Falk had. We used to have a drill where you worked on your jump cuts in the off season with like ropes and ship and we used to call it the k Falk droll because he had such a good cutback. And people don't realize he's like I think n C two, a punt returner, like holds all the records. He was a monster. I learned a lot through from Kevin through like returning punts. I remember he used to teach me early on in my career.
Speaker 2: He was he was.
Speaker 3: He was only on the tail part of his career. When I was there, he was like one of the smartest players.
Speaker 2: He knew everything.
Speaker 3: You could tell he's been he'd been around for a while, and he had such a pedigree. He had so many big plays and he made a lot of big plays for us.
Speaker 2: That fourth and two.
Speaker 3: Against that was a first down against uh Indianapolis down.
Speaker 2: That was That was too k Falk.
Speaker 3: That and Kevin Falk was like the innovator of we of putting the running back in the slot.
Speaker 2: He could run routes in the slot.
Speaker 3: I mean, we used to have formations name off after Tiger LSU Tiger which put the you know, the h over in the slot over here. Like there was a bunch of stuff that was because of Kevin Falk. He was kind of like the innovator of the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Shane Vereen hold on before we move on from Kevin fuck Marshall Fuwx's cousin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Marshall Falk's cousin, which Marshall Falk the thing. I mean, it's it's it's every like it's crazy. And Kate Falk was such an awesome veteran to be around. I loved Kate Falke. I owe him a lot he you know, I was I didn't know how to catch punts and shit, and and Bill would like he would like in organized team activities and mini camps and stuff, he'd like walk around you and make you nervous right when you were catching punts.
Speaker 2: And Kay Falk would always talk me off the ledge. So I love Kate Falk.
Speaker 3: Shane Verene one of my roommates, one of my favorite guys. He was just he was also the one thing in common with all of these guys. They were all really smart, smart guys, really smart football players, really great in protections because they're running back.
Speaker 2: They had they did it.
Speaker 3: They ran a lot of routes, but they also had to like know their protections. And all those guys could lay the wood and and pick up those linebackers and knew the protections very well. And then James White, you know Shane, I mean, he was just a great football player and he ended up leaving us, but huge part of why we won in fourteen at the record reception records.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then it was beat by James White.
Speaker 3: You know, uh, you know, James White, like one of the best professionals, didn't say much when he talked.
Speaker 2: You knew it was. It was somewhat.
Speaker 3: It was important you listened because you didn't hear him talk, which he's doing great on TV right now. He's on the Big ten network, I believe, and he's killing it. I love watching him. I love listening to him on social Uh. But I think in order to play that position for us, those were all some of our smart this guys on our team.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: They all worked extremely hard, so they all had a lot of the same.
Speaker 2: Shout out the money Down Podcast, James.
Speaker 1: Money Down Podcast. All right, I got money down, money down. That's that's that's James Whitees. Yeah, money down.
Speaker 2: The Money Down Podcast. Oh, James, Jorge, that's what it is. Money down. Hey, what's up? Dog? You can't even give me on their dog? Got some third dollars here, dog? All right, good time for two more. Here we go. That was a good question.
Speaker 10: Hi everyone, I'm Angela from Dallas, Texas. Longtime listener, first time caller. In a few episodes, Julian has mentioned the Formula one. Is he F one fan or in general a fan of auto racing? I think it would be great if games with Names featured a F one race.
Speaker 2: Thank you F one fan. I wouldn't call like.
Speaker 3: The whole Netflix thing you got everyone excited about, and I loved. I love that old movie what was it Rush?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's not old old.
Speaker 3: That's ten years old now, bro, that's probably ten fifteen years old. Okay, when they talked about Ricky Lauda and Sam Hunt loved that story. I love race movies. I love Nascar. I like Nascar a little more than I like Formula one because I'm American. Okay, it seems a little more equal, Like the richest team in F one always wins. I love watching those guys. I love seeing the little feuds between what's.
Speaker 1: The the guy for Red Bull in one?
Speaker 3: Scott, what's the main guy? He's like the number one guy verse stopping. I just know that I got a bunch of watch it and I love it. And uh, who's.
Speaker 2: Danny? Uh?
Speaker 3: Daniel Daniel Riccardo. We've we have crossover, we have some mutual friends. So yeah, I know I I know his story a little bit that I think that would be cool. I would love to get a racer on just to pick their brain on how they how they like prepare.
Speaker 2: And you know there's all.
Speaker 3: These YouTube videos of of like in documentaries of how these guys prepare for their reaction and stuff, and actually have met in What's is Lewis Hamilton again?
Speaker 2: I met Mercedes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like it's always it's crazy, but I I I definitely respect those guys.
Speaker 2: Those guys are crazy, they're athletes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I, uh, but I'm more I would say I'm more of a nascargo, more of a core trick, cold trickle kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Hit me no call, he rubbed you. Rubbing is racing, all right, Angela, why do you send us back a game or a match or a race that we should do, Like, send us some more racist.
Speaker 3: I think I might do the jap the nineteen seventy nine Japan one when Ricky Lauda didn't race after his Like, we could do that one. It's the same. It's pretty much the movie the movie tam Hunt had to win qualify. It was a ballsy move, all right. Only only you tire heads would know.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, great episode with how we long really enjoyed it. I have got a question for you, what about possibly having Stephen Ridley on as a guest? I think that would be fun. Thanks bye one.
Speaker 2: He's been around lately.
Speaker 3: He's been around. Yeah, yeah, we uh quick fun story about me and Rid. And by the way, Howie was so fun. He makes I feel like, you know, put a good performance around him. He's like a dad figure at work.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I feel like, you don't want this my dad, you know, because I have some of the I'm friends with his son, so it's like one of your boys.
Speaker 2: Did they say anything after, like, oh we did? Okay, clear, I haven't heard back. Haven't heard me and Chris talk, but we don't. I don't know. I always forget what we talk about. You gotta get Chris back in this year.
Speaker 3: We gotta get christ and Kyle. He's my favorite one. He's my favorite guy. I love Kyle.
Speaker 2: We gotta get HOIGHI long Junior, see what I don't know? The Raiders sales departments up too. Yeah, we got it. But getting back to Rid.
Speaker 3: Just had Rid at the house post fire two days after bring him out. Probably shouldn't be going where we were going towards Pala States. All of a sudden, and we and people are looking at us. You know, we're driving in Brentwood and and and like Santa Monica, the like north of Montana. People are looking at us. We have like masks on run fucking Super seventy three. He's looking at us like we're looters. All of a sudden, we're going by two people and I look in the corner of my eye. Rid is trying to show off and going like sidewalk through a jump because he's really like supermoto cross kind of guy, and fucking does this. I look at the corner, mind, I just see Ridley parallel with the side sidewalk and it's it. He goes, oh, he fucking fell off the bike. I was like, and so I couldn't stop laughing in front of people. I'm like, see, we're not looters, We're just regular people. It was fucking crazy, But yeah, we got to get rid of le On. It'd be a real fun episode. Cool, great voicemails. You gotta keep them coming, guys. Those are some really in depth questions. What was her name from?
Speaker 2: Uh, Angela Angela, Angela Angela?
Speaker 3: And then who was the we didn't get a name for the We didn't get a name for the running back we need?
Speaker 2: We had a questions running back the show before? Who have we had a pat patriot running back on the show before?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but we have to get we have we have some guys that we gotta get on.
Speaker 2: We need to do that.
Speaker 3: We got to get kave Halkong guys. Keep them coming. That was awesome. That was the chill zone. Thanks to our favorite beer corps Light. Get cors Light delivered straight to your door by visiting Corslight dot com. Slash gwn celebrate responsibly.
Speaker 2: What a game. Thanks again to Sean.
Speaker 3: Avery more Hockey high guys. Hockey guys are awesome and neighborhood Watch guys. We've been really in contact over these fires. He's been holding down my daughter's neighborhood while I've been over at my house holding down my neighborhood. So good to have a fellow neighborhood watch guy. Remember subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 2: Coming a game you want us to do, Remember rate and review review Leave a five star review on Spotify. It's a new contact that's new while you're there.
Speaker 3: Leave it there and remember to follow games with names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, We're still there, and snapchat.
Speaker 2: Leave a message on.
Speaker 3: The old hotline four two four two nine to one, two, two nine zero. We'll see you guys next week. Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.