Speaker 1: Pushkin too quick. No, it's perfect push kid stuff. You got it.
Speaker 2: Fish Mumafukuando had a dream. He wanted to turn ramen to delicious noodles, delicious noodles from something that was artisanal, that was made and served fresh in little shops, into a cheap, mass produced instant food. It's not a dream of our moment, but it was a very mid twentieth century kind of dream, which was when he was dreaming this dreamy.
Speaker 1: Age of science and age of convenience and age where where scientists could help us eat faster and more efficiently.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, industrial food as mid twentieth century dream. His dream also, as I'll talk about in the show, a very post war Japanese economic miracle kind of dream. And so Andndo had a friend of his build him a shed out back behind his house in Osaka. He bought a used noodle making machine, brought it home on his bike, set it up in the shed, and every day for a year he is out there in the shed from five in the morning until to the next morning, trying to figure out how to make his instant ramen dream come true. He is the Thomas Edison of the instant noodle.
Speaker 1: Kind of seems like he read the Thomas Edison biography and is taking.
Speaker 2: It to heart. Yes, he's a businessman, he is not a chef, but this doesn't stop him. He tries adding eggs, starch, yams, milk powder, spinach juice. Finally he gets better at making the noodles, but he's still stuck on this last key step. How do you preserve them so that they're not fresh and gonna go bad but stable. You can just put him in the cabinet and then cook him up in an instant whenever you want them. And one day Ono ses his wife making tempura in the kitchen in the house, and he notices that the batter is giving off these bubbles of moisture in the pan, and he realizes that by frying the freshly made noodles he could dehydrate them and preserve them.
Speaker 1: Eureka, this is the moment.
Speaker 2: So he flash fries his noodles, lets them cool, and then he adds boiling hot water to the noodles, and voila, they rehydrate and cook within minutes. He has invented instant ramen, a product that human beings on planet Earth will eat one hundred and twenty three billion, with a bee servings of in twenty twenty four in the distant future. This is the story that they tell at the Cup Noodle Museum in Osaka, Japan. It's a corporate museum, a corporate museum indeed, that has a full scale replica of the shed. They also tell this story at the other Cup Noodle Museum in Yokohama, where there is another full scale replica of the shed. Maybe it's a replica of the replica, one doesn't know. But the official story, this story I just told you, leaves out some important details. Perhaps most importantly, Momofukuwanda was not the first person to figure out that you could preserve ramen by flash frying it. He wasn't even the first person to patent instant ramen in Japan.
Speaker 1: They don't want you to know this at the Cup Noodle Museum, telling.
Speaker 2: You the things they don't want you to know on business history. But look, Hoo was the guy who made the instant noodle great, who built pop Ramen and cup noodle into global convenience food superpowers, and crucially centrally, he was the guy who told his story better than anybody else. I'm Jacob Goldstein.
Speaker 1: I'm Robert Smith. This is Business History, a show about the history of business today.
Speaker 2: On the show, Ramen the foundational product, a foundational product of our modern age, fuels higher education.
Speaker 1: Absolutely PhDs only eat.
Speaker 2: Ram only Ramen, and it has a weirdly warm place in our hearts, given that it is this industrial, mid century food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the warm place is the salt, salt.
Speaker 2: And the hot water, a hot salty water going down a lot of.
Speaker 1: The salt blood pressure. They go it up.
Speaker 2: When I was in elementary school and I was home alone in the afternoons on the weekday afternoons, sometimes I'd eat a pack of ramen raw.
Speaker 1: You ever do that? I have done it. It is It is kind of delicious.
Speaker 2: The only question is do you go flavor pack or no? Like how spicy you feeling?
Speaker 1: No, no flavor pack. My best Ramen moment was when I was in South Korea. I was watching baseball game and instead of peanuts and cracker jack, you go down to the convenience store at the stadium by a cup of ramen at hot water and then you slip it at your seat.
Speaker 2: It is remarkably ubiquitous. You know, people talk about eating it in Nigeria and in Poland, and you know, rich countries, poor countries, Asia, Europe, Africa, the Americas. Ramen has conquered the world, right instant. Ramen has conquered the world. So how did it happen? Why it happened largely because of this guy, Momo Fukuwando, So let's talk about him. He was born in nineteen ten in Taiwan. His name at the time was go Peck Huck. I'm not sure if I'm pronouncing that correctly. His parents died when he was very young. He'd later say he couldn't remember their faces, and he was raised by his grandparents. He spent his childhood in their textile store doing chores, and when he was twenty two, he went into the textile business for himself with money he inherited from his parents and at the time at the time, Taiwan was a Japanese colony. This was the first part of the twentieth century. And Ondo had an uncle near Osaka and that led him eventually to move to Osaka. Moved to Japan and set up a textile company there, and then World War Two started, which just took his textile business out of business. But one thing that will become clear about Hodo that I think is really the essence of history in some ways, is he is a hustler. He is a guy who just keeps coming up with new businesses, and he's going to come up with a lot before he gets to Ramen. So during the war, he's selling charcoal, he's selling some kind of optical equipment for the war effort. But then a manager at the factory is suspected a fraud, and apparently Ondo reports the fraud, but he ends up getting arrested. That's unclear really what happened, but it is clear that he got arrested and he's put in a cell and he sees prisoners fighting over tiny servings of food, and he'll later say this is part of his impetus to want to create this kind of cheap, abundant food. He gets out forty five days later, and not long after he gets out, Japan surrenders and the war is over. Around this time, he marries a Japanese woman named Masako, Ando takes her name. Actually, Ando changes his first name to Momofuku. Side note, as some people some listeners may have been thinking already, isn't there a fancy basically Ramen Chang food chain in America today called Momofuku. Is it a coincidence, Robert, You actually talked to David Chang, right, the.
Speaker 1: Guy, and he said it was a coincidence that Momofuku meant good peach, lucky peach. Yeah. Yeah, and so yeah, he was not basing it out of MoMA fu, or so he says.
Speaker 2: Or so he says. Surely he must have known. Anyway, So we're in post war Japan now there is a profound food shortage. In fact, the US had been, you know, deliberately cutting off japan supplies of food imports during the war, and now after the war, the harvest in Japan is bad. It's quite a desperate situation. People are eating peanutshells, they're stealing vegetables from the fields. And Ando is this entrepreneurial guy out of prison wants, you know, wants to start a business. Also, I think genuinely wants to do something helpful. So he starts getting into the food business. He finds an abandoned military base on a beach and finds a bunch of demobilized soldiers with nothing to do, and opens up a salt plant and the soldiers are working for making salt on the beach. Another company he starts extracts the marrow from discarded animal bones to make some kind of nutrition supplement. And around this time a couple things come together to plant the seeds of the big idea, the Ramen, the instant ramen idea in his mind. One the US is occupying Japan, and the US is bringing food from the US to help stave off famine. In particular, the US is bringing in surplus wheat. It's a classic American move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we have wheat farmers, and it's a great way to take our bounty and move it to another place, even if they don't traditionally eat much wheat.
Speaker 2: Right, And so they had eaten some bread in Japan, and before the Portuguese had brought bread, they didn't eat much. But the Americans they're bringing in this flour and turning it into white bread, which is not a normal thing in a Japanese diet. And there are these like pr vans going around, which I think means like the vans with the big speaker on top driving around being like America is giving you bread, you know, and they're putting it in school lunches and this sort of thing.
Speaker 1: You're hungry, eat some bread. Bread is good, America good.
Speaker 2: That's the gist. Yeah, so they're trying to get people to eat the bread. Ondo knows about this. And there's a moment when this is happening that is like a key moment according to him, where he's walking by a train station and he sees this long line of people and they look haggard, you know, their clothes are worn and they're kind of downcast, and it's this long line. It's like, what is this line? And he looks at the front of the line and he sees that the people are waiting to get a bowl of ramen noodle's hot broth. It just looks so good and so satisfying you would wait a long time for it. And Ondo thinks, this is ridiculous, Like we're trying to talk people into eating bread. This food people basically don't want. That is not a Japanese food. We should be turning that weat into ramen, this food that people are lining up around the block for.
Speaker 1: Which is a very smart business thing to notice. There's a huge demand for something that has a low supply. There's this large supply of bread that no one wants. I mean, it's great.
Speaker 2: So there is this sort of corporate autobiography of Ondo that talks about this moment, and he says he actually goes to a guy from the Ministry of Health with this idea, turn the weed into ramen. But he says there was a problem.
Speaker 1: At the time, however, ramen and Japanese udon were solely the domain of small scale businesses. There was no pipeline connecting us flower surpluses with the structures necessary to produce and distribute noodles. The lack of adequate manufacturing facilities amounted to a bottleneck.
Speaker 2: A bottleneck one of the things we often see in mystery of business.
Speaker 1: And you can make a lot of money if you figure out a way to solve the bottleneck.
Speaker 2: We need a printing press, but for ramen noodles, which is what he's gonna do. Yeah, I mean, ramen at this time is a craft product. I actually thought of cars before Henry Ford came along. You know, it's made in small batches, it's made fresh. It's the kind of thing we sort of fetishized today, like ooh, small batch. That sounds nice, but you're not going to feed a hungry nation with it. You just can't turn these shiploads a wheat into ramen in this way. So Hondo has this idea, and maybe he would have solved this problem right away, but for the fact that he got arrested again, Wow, criminal, This time it was for tax evasion. For what it's worth Onndo's story is that it was a misunderstanding about a scholarship program he started for his workers. What really happened, I don't know, but again it's clear that he was arrested, his assets were seized, and this time he spent two years in prison some time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a lot of time to think about, Robin.
Speaker 2: And you don't even have insant ramen to eat while you're inventcing because it hasn't been invented yet. So he gets out and now he is ready to make his big ramen breakthrough. After he runs a credit union for six years until it fails and goes bankrupt. He tries a lot of things that don't work. It's what I'm saying now.
Speaker 1: You know what I have to say. This makes me love him, not that he was some lifelong chef who wanted to perfect this culinary thing but he's a guy who tried a bunch of things. He's just looking for a way through.
Speaker 2: He just keeps working at it. Okay, now he's ready, Yeah, for going out in the shed in the backyard, supposedly having the breakthrough. This is the late fifties. By nineteen fifty eight, he figures it out. Robert Smith, let's go to the official corporate narrative.
Speaker 1: Sure you can read this on a big wall at the cup Noodle Museum. On August twenty fifth, nineteen fifty eight, chicken ramen, the world's first instant noodles, was launched. Since chicken ramen, a food ready to eat in just two minutes after adding hot water, was a product inconceivable under the conventional wisdom of the times, it was dubbed magic ramen.
Speaker 2: They may have dubbed the noodles magic ramen.
Speaker 1: Nobody else called it magic ramen. They called it magic ramen.
Speaker 2: Yes, the thing that is clear from the historical record, these noodles were not in conceivable under the conventional wisdom of the time. In fact, someone else seems to have conceived them before. Momafuguando, Robert, We've got more history, this time, not from an official corporate history, but from the book The Untold History of Ramen by historian named George.
Speaker 1: Sult, A much smaller company had already released an identical product in nineteen fifty five called Flavored Chinese Noodles, three years before the release of Chicken Ramen, but the company was forced to halt production after a few months due to weak sales.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I turned out to exhibit B a Harvard Business School case study entitled Momofukuando and the Globalization of Noodles, which points out that flash frying noodles to preserve them was a technique that had been used since the early twentieth century in.
Speaker 1: Taiwan, where he's from.
Speaker 2: Where he's from, they called this noodle dish g c yan jen pa mispronouncing. But I want to say it so I can quote directly from the Harvard Business schal case study which says Taiwanese families shipped packages of g siman to their relatives living in Japan when the country experienced post war food shortages. It seems like Momofuku Ando did not invent instant ramen. Even if he did go to the shack, he wasn't the first guy to figure it out.
Speaker 1: You know. I'm okay with that. I'm okay with that. If there's one thing I've learned during this show, it's that you know, invention is fine. Invention's great. I'm glad there are inventors out there, but ideas are plentiful and execution is rare.
Speaker 2: Yes, when we did that story about Edison and the movies, we talked about the similar theme. Right. Edison basically did not invent the movies, but he got credit leased in America for inventing the movies. And when we talked about that, we talked about Joseph Schumpeter, the famous economists of the guy who came up with the term creative struction, which they love today in Silicon Valley, and he wrote beautifully about the difference between inventors and entrepreneurs, which is what we're talking about here.
Speaker 1: So so give us that as long as they are not carried into practice, inventions are economically irrelevant. And to carry any improvement into effect is a task entirely different from the inventing of it, and a task moreover requiring entirely different kinds of aptitudes. It is therefore not advisable, and it may be downright misleading to stress the element of inventions as much as many writers do or podcasts do. Yeah, we do.
Speaker 2: That's us. We are stressing it too much because the inventor is so fun, right, Like, yes, execution is what matters, but like the guy in the shed, try to try to come up with how to do it.
Speaker 1: That is delightful. I think we like the lesson that anyone can be struck by lightning. The light bulb goes off, You come up with an idea and change the world. If the real story is now you have to actually work hard and do all the hard implementation things to change the world. Well, that's not as much fun. That's just a job, this drudgery.
Speaker 2: And I used to think, I mean Edison, the guy who more than anybody created the inventor narrative, you know, is famously has one percent inspiration ninety nine percent perspiration. And I used to think that was like what you need to get to the invention. But no, it's what you need after the invention to get to business success. Like once you have the idea, all of the work is before you. And I used to think that the myth of the inventor was an American thing or a Silicon valley thing. But this story suggests that no, it is in fact a global human thing. We love an origin story, we love an inventor, and so Ando was apparently not the inventor creating magic noodles out of one percent inspiration, ninety nine percent perspiration and one percent cooking oil. I know that is one hundred and one peralt and you got.
Speaker 1: You've got the secret recipe.
Speaker 2: But he was. He was a great entrepreneur. He was the guy who brought instant ramen to the world, which we will talk about after the break. Mama fuku Ono's first instant ramen. It does seem like it was good ramen. It's called chicken ramen because he actually cooked in some way cooked the noodles in chicken broth before he flashed fried there.
Speaker 1: Oh, the flavor was big.
Speaker 2: Flavor was fried right in and so there was no flavor packet.
Speaker 1: Initially.
Speaker 2: You just add the hot water and you and there was in the block of noodle. It was a block of noodles like now in a top ramen pack but it had a little divot on top, and the idea was you crack an egg into that divot and then you pour the hot water over the whole thing, and the egg kind of poaches while the noodle cooks.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: Bring that one back. Yeah. He calls his ramen company Nissin Foods. The official story is that the new name symbolizes his desire to create a rich flavor purely each day, because Nietzsche means day and chin means pure. Now, we could talk about Hondo making instant ramen in his house with his family, hundreds of packs a day. We could talk about him putting on a suit and doing a demo at a fancy department store in Tokyo, calling out to passers by. Those things really happened. But you know what I want to talk about. I want to talk about Momofuku's real edison move suing all his rivals.
Speaker 1: Oh so good.
Speaker 2: First, he tries to trademark the chicken ramen name in late nineteen fifty nine and finds they're already thirteen other companies making a similar product under that name. Goes to court wins exclusive rights to the name. Next problem, somebody else has already patented his flash frying method. Another guy who was born in Taiwan actually and had been running a noodle shop in Japan, for years by that point, and so Ando negotiates with the guy winds up buying the patent. And according to that HBS case study, the contract apparently included a provision not to talk publicly about any relationship to Momofuku's Chicken.
Speaker 1: Ram He's already building up the myth.
Speaker 2: He's already building up the myth. First rule of buying up intellectual property rights. Don't talk about buying up intellectual property rights. But I guess somehow the world leaked anyways, because a newspaper asked Ando about this deal. Here's what he said.
Speaker 1: I am not thinking about monopolizing the instant Ramen business. I want to authorize the use of the patent by companies with excellent facilities and technology. If it could we used to prevent surplus production and sharp price drops. I believe that the industry can be stabilized. You're saying, I want to share the miracle that is instant Ramen.
Speaker 2: This sounds like JP Morgan to me. You know, monopolies in nineteen hundred, why do we have all these steel companies competing with each other and making a chaotic market. Wouldn't it be much better if one steel company sold all the steel in an orderly fashion.
Speaker 1: I'm not hitting for the bunny. I mean it to prevent surplus production of ramen.
Speaker 2: So Ando starts threatening rivals with patent violation lawsuits, reaches agreements with twenty companies to share patent rights in exchange for a portion of their revenues. They're all kind of banding together. Some of the other ramen companies, they're a lot by this point, hold out and form their own cartels. And in the end the government gets involved and broker's a deal. Are they fighting in the streets, like do they go and hitting each other over the head with drive noodles?
Speaker 1: They go to the factory and break all the news in the little pieces.
Speaker 2: In the end, the government gets involved, broke as a deal, and there there wind up being three ramen cartels. Onto is, you know, kind of at the center of one of them. This is important. There is a bigger idea here. This is a Japanese economic miracle idea. Right these decades, the decades after the Second World War, Japan has this period of incredible growth and the government is quite involved. It is not free market growth like we might idealize it in the United States. The Japanese government is doing in a lot of industries what it is doing in Ramen. It's managing the economy so that there is some competition.
Speaker 1: You want competition because you want innovation, you want people to feel motivated every day.
Speaker 2: But there is a limit to that competition too much, you know what. You don't want to drive people out of business, no profit whatsoever. Yeah, that is the government's point of view. Whether that is optimal or not, we can debate.
Speaker 1: It worked for a lot of East Asian countries around this time.
Speaker 2: It did. Indeed, this all comes together in a real interesting way in nineteen fifty nine. So you know, right at the beginning for Ando's business, when he realizes he needs a distribution partner to scale, and he partners with.
Speaker 1: Mitsubishi Giant industrial conglomerate.
Speaker 2: Giant and had been around in Japan for a while at this point.
Speaker 1: I mean cars obviously, but what else, probably finance, probably all sorts of actual steal.
Speaker 2: I mean, we'll talk more about Mitsubishi in particular, but let me just talk about where it fits in the Japanese economy because it's it's it's exactly how the Japanese economy works, and so before World War Two, Mitsubishi was this giant, family owned conglomerate did basically everything, and there were a few of these in Japan. Mitsui was another one. And then after the war, the Americans came in and essentially took over running Japan, and they were like, what is this. This is not how we run an economy, and they broke up these family owned conglomerates like Subishi. But then after the Americans left, these firms started to reassemble, but in a different way. Rather than a single family controlling everything, which you had was this association of different companies that had similar names, like maybe they all had Mitsubishi in the name, and they all owned stock in each other and coordinated with each other. This was called a keretsu keretsu, and so Mitsubishi was a caretsu, which meant it was a bunch of different companies that made steel and chemicals and cars and trucks and ships and planes, and that sold life insurance, and that was in the shipping business and did the import export. And at the center of it all was a bank, a bank that financed all these other businesses, which was key because bank capital was the key driver of the economy. At that point, there was not some robust venture capital system like.
Speaker 1: We have today.
Speaker 2: There was not a giant stock market where you could just go get money from the market for a new company. And I will note that today the biggest bank slash financial services firm in Japan is Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group.
Speaker 1: Similar to what Warren Buffett did, which is if you have a lot of different businesses, having the ability to allocate capital between the different companies, who's doing well, who needs it? You know, who's generating cash, who wants more cash. If you can do that correctly, you can build all those businesses and grow faster than your competitor.
Speaker 2: And is it right, Robert that the insurance company that is at the center of Berkshire Hathaway is the kind of capital you know, using the float like I've heard that?
Speaker 1: Is that true? Yeah? A lot of them excess cash is coming from the insurance companies.
Speaker 2: And financing these other businesses.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this works for the Japanese economy. And it's an interesting kind of capitalism, right. It's not just one company, it's a few big companies guided by the government. The government is quite involved in sort of what they're financing, and you know, the Bank of pan is standing behind these banks at the center of the Kretzus and you get decades of extraordinary economic growth out of this system, which.
Speaker 1: Sort of makes sense if you're talking about cars or trucks or building transformers. Seems a little weird that instant ramen would fit into this giant industrial system.
Speaker 2: Ondo had a pitch about that. You know, he's this little Ramen guy going to this giant global behemoth, and his pitch is much bigger than just noodles. He's thinking big. He says, Look, we're getting all this surplus wheat from the US, a great deal on our key input for our wheat noodles. The key thing for the Mitsubishi executive is, yeah, this is import. This is you know, we can get in on these wheat imports and maybe build our trade relationship with the US, because of course we want to be exporting all these things we're making to the US, and so maybe Ramen will be like a wedge that helps us build our trade relationship with the United States, which could be huge for US. And so Mitsubishi becomes a distributor for chicken ramen, and pretty soon Mitsubishi starts using the motto Mitsubishi from ramen to missiles. It really was another time. If you make missiles today, you don't say missiles in your ad uh.
Speaker 1: From killing you fast to killing you slow Mitsubishi.
Speaker 2: Now Ando's got his product, he's got his intellectual property, he's got his distribution. He just needs one more thing, marketing. And if we know one thing about Mama Fukuwando, it is that the man knows how to market. His first move and I love this, he pushes instant ramen as health food.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: Why not? The original ramen packaging has the phrase build strength and a full meal boasting the highest nutrition and great taste. And at the time there was this belief that part of the japan lost the war was that the American diet made American stronger than the Japanese diet made Japanese people rice.
Speaker 1: Bad weak good, I mean in its reduced form. Yes.
Speaker 2: In nineteen sixty Nissen adds B vitamins to its ramen and is allowed to market chicken ramen as a government certified special health food. Okay, okay, they got a mascot. It's a little boy named Chibico. Forgiving me Chibco if I'm saying your name wrong. He's got blonde hair, freckles, and a baseball cap.
Speaker 1: He's a little American boy.
Speaker 2: He's a little American boy. Going back to this idea that the you know, in post war Japan, the ideal of kind of health and strength was American. They sponsored a TV show. There's a chicken Ramen song that was a hit that alas I couldn't find online.
Speaker 1: You know, I'll say it.
Speaker 2: If anybody listening knows the chicken Ramen song, email us a voice memo of you singing it. We will put it on business history at pushkin dot FM. Please all this marketing works. Japan loves instant ramen. Nissen is doing great in Japan, but Momofuku always wants more. He wants to grow. He has an entrepreneur's heart. He doesn't just want to succeed. He wants more. That is the fundamental desire. So in nineteen sixty six he flies to California to figure out how to sell ramen to the United States of America.
Speaker 1: I picture a madman esque scene of Momafuku ando in his suit with a stack of ramen by the pool. Everyone like, go, go, dancers in the sun.
Speaker 2: You know where he goes. I respect him for this. He doesn't go to the pool. He's not there to you know, dine out on the expense account. He goes to a supermarket, a supermarket in La in Los Angeles and gives a few of the buyers at the store samples of chicken ramen to try, and he watches as they get paper coffee cups, break the noodles in half to fit in the cups, pour hot water on, and then eat ramen with forks while they're standing up. Americans Americans, And you could imagine him being scandalized by this. You don't break the noodles, you don't eat them standing up, you don't eat them with a fork.
Speaker 1: There's a ceremony to this.
Speaker 2: But Momufuku is not scandalized. He doesn't care what the norms are in Japan. He wants to sell noodles to Americans. He's an entrepreneur, not a chef. He wants to make the noodles in whatever way people will buy them. Here's what he writes about it later.
Speaker 1: It seems obvious, but I was reminded that Americans do not eat with chopsticks and raben bowls. I believe that deliciousness has no borders, but there's a cultural barrier to eating habits. This is smart. Yes, we don't have a tradition of what do you do with a block of noodles? You put in a paper cup.
Speaker 2: So he's sitting there watching those guys eating their noodles out of a cup noodles, cup, cup noodles, cup noodles, Robert Smith, where is this going?
Speaker 1: He invents cup noodles. He puts the noodles in the cups. Sell the cup too. You could charge an extra dollar. Thirty cirty cents is closer to it.
Speaker 2: Yes, he invents cup noodles, which in various times and places is also called cup noodle and cup o noodles.
Speaker 1: In Ireland it was called cup o noodles. I'm just joking.
Speaker 2: I will say cup noodles is not entirely trivial to figure out, and this one, as far as I know, ando did figure out. I direct your attention now to us patent three nine nine seven six seven six a instant cooking cup to noodles and a method of producing same.
Speaker 1: Ooh okay, let me read this. The denser top portion of the lump prevents the lower portion from losing heat and remaining unswelled. Thus you formally heated and swelled noodles are achieved. The flat, dense top of the lump can advantageously have placed thereon dried meats, vegetables, et cetera, which will not fall into the lump and will therefore present colorful and tasty appearance. This is complicated. So what we did is we actually took a cup noodles and we cut away the side. Tell me what's innovative about this that we see.
Speaker 2: By the way, if you're listening, you can see this happening on YouTube. So yes, So there is something, Robert that you didn't describe that is part of the innovation here that is elsewhere in the patent, and that is if you cut, if you make a cross section of a cup of cup noodles, as you have done here, you actually see that the block of noodles is suspended in the middle of the cup. There space at the top and at the bottom. I did not know there was space at the bottom of the bottom. They are not trying to rip you off. This is not non functional slack fills. It's called in the trade. This is functional slack fill because what it means is two things. One, it gives space for the noodles to expand in both directions. But the space underneath means the water goes through and then the steam comes up and cooks the noodles. That is part of the genius. And it's really quite something to look at. It really does look like a beautiful industrial food when you cut it open from the side.
Speaker 1: Genius And this was an actual invention a MoMA or his team.
Speaker 2: His name is on the patent and I think it was him, Robert put the cup noodles down.
Speaker 1: We're going to go on with should get the noodles to the precise size to put it.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. I think that's in the patent. Actually a plug. I think they might call it a plug noodle plug. Onto actually rolls out cup noodles first in Japan in September of nineteen seventy one, and it does okay, But it's not a thing that people in Japan have been clamoring for. You know, he was in tired to invent it for American leaders. But a few months later, in February of nineteen seventy two, cup noodles has its big moment in Japan, and it is not the big moment that I would have expected. We'll talk about that in just a minute. We're back from the break. It's nineteen seventy two. Cup Noodles is about to have its big moment, and here's what happens. Members of a radical leftist student group in Japan called the United Red Army have an internal purge. We promise it's about rawman, it's about cup nuts.
Speaker 1: So leftist student group, radicals, they have an internal perch.
Speaker 2: They kill fourteen of their own group's members, along with an innocent bystander. The cops are after them, the chases on. They flee to a vacation lodge in a resort town. At some point they kill two police officers and they hole up in this lodge and they take the lodge manager's wife hostage, and now there is a ten day long hostage standoff. You may be asking yourself, what was the deal with this radical leftist student group. I don't know. I don't know anything about radical politics in Japan in the nineteen seventies. But if you were asking yourself what does this have to do with cup Noodles, then you are in luck.
Speaker 1: Because we're business history, not radical student movement history.
Speaker 2: The hostage standoff was broadcast live on TV. Basically, everybody in Japan is watching this all the time. On and his company had been trying to get people in various jobs to eat cup noodles, trying to show them it's a very convenient food if you're busy, if you're on the go. And what everybody in Japan saw as they were glued to their TVs during the hostage standoff was tough, grizzled Japanese police officers fighting cold and hunger and eating cup noodles. Eventually, the heroic police officers, fueled by courage and cup noodles, storm the lodge in a morning raid and capture the killers. And now cup noodles is a phenomenon in Japan. It's in vending machines in Tokyo office buildings, second best selling vending machine item after Coca Cola. And it's time for cup noodles to go to America. Ondo had been selling in America by this point. He had started Nissing Foods USA in nineteen seventy, which was a joint venture with another food company and his old pals at Mitsubishi Good Friends to have shout out Kiretsu, and as a baby step, they had started selling a packaged drawmen under the brand name top Ramen. It's like the top ramen you get today. It didn't do great. The cup was the big breakthrough in America. For the US. They call it cup O Noodles. They add pork and beef flavors, and they make the noodles much shorter than the noodles in the Japanese version, half the length. I remember'd seen them breaking it. The Harvard Business School case study actually explains why the noodles are shorter in the American version in language that just delikes me, so I want you to read it.
Speaker 1: So the consumers would not have to make a slurping sound while eating the product, whereas slurping was regarded as part of good eating manners in Japan. The noise was highly objectionable to many people in the United States.
Speaker 2: Americans loved their broken in half noodle cup O noodles.
Speaker 1: Just a little slurp, not a big slurp.
Speaker 2: Now got Japan America Anddo and Nissin are off. They're going to take over the world with instant noodles, and you see this decade after decade they go from country to country, opening factories, adapting the cup to suit individual tastes. There's Chirosco in Brazil, Crab in Hong Kong, Tamyam in Thailand, Masala in India, Miria in Mexico. You can actually get that in the US now.
Speaker 1: And it sounds delicious, and this is genius. This is a great thing about cup noodles. You can put any flavor you want in there.
Speaker 2: They're incredibly ubiquitous. Nissan sells something like two billion cups of cup noodle a year. Worldwide. People eat one hundred and twenty billion servings of instant ramen per year. That's all companies, and of course the researchers in Antarctica will eat it there. Basically on every continent people eat instant ramen like it is extraordinary wide it has spread, and you know, it's also literally across the street from my house. Like this morning, I'd been meaning to pick up cup noodles as props for the show. I'd forgot, and this morning I went to the bodega that is across the street from my house, and of course they had it. And it is not a big bodega. It's smaller than the media in seven to eleven in America. And it's not particularly cheap, right bodega's, You're pay a little more for the convenience. Two cup noodles were available in abundance across the street from my house. Two of them cost me three dollars.
Speaker 1: In New York City, you could never be more than fifty yards from a cup.
Speaker 2: Noodle, truly, and I suspected much of the world. Mamufukuno's last big move was space ram ram and specially designed to be eaten in space. He and his team designed the noodles to be held together with egg whites to cook at a lower temperature because there's not that much pressure on a spaceship, so right, so water is gon boil at a lower temperature. And in two thousand and five, a Japanese astronaut eight space rom in space and it made news around the world.
Speaker 1: Momofuku Ando understood the power of a good story. And that's just a great story. So good, what do they sell one of those space? But it doesn't it doesn't matter. We don't care if this is I don't know a true story. That he was in the shack and all this stuff. What we care about is that there is a miracle in the world, and we just want a little story that makes us feel better, you know, that makes us feel warm and toasty inside, much as the hot water does to the noodles in the cup.
Speaker 2: Two years after the Astronaut eight space rom in Space, Momofuku Ando died at age ninety six.
Speaker 1: He had no more worlds to conquer.
Speaker 2: He said the secret to long life was golf twice week and chicken ramen every day.
Speaker 1: Don't do it.
Speaker 2: His funeral was space themed, was held at a stadium in Osaka. Two former prime ministers attended, and it was a celebration of the life of the man who, as everyone knows, we've heard the story invented instant ramen. What food should we do a story about? Tell us? You can email us at Business History at pushkin dot fm. You can find me on Twitter aka x or on LinkedIn. Robert you are at Radio Smith, keeping the radio alive one day at a time. Our show Today was produced by Gabriel hunter Cheng. It was engineered by Sarah Buguer. Our video editor is Matt Nielsen. If you want to see a cross section of cup noodles. You can see it on our YouTube page. Our showrunner and our editor, and a man who calls cup noodles pot noodles I think is Ryan Dilly. I'm Jacob Goldstein, I'm Robert Smith. Thanks for listening.