Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you should know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Jerry's here too. And it's become clear to me that I used the slide whistle on the wrong episode. This is stuff you should know. Oh, would they have gotten annoying to you?
Speaker 1: I think the slide whistle work perfect. And this isn't about slide whistles.
Speaker 2: No, it's about whistle whistles, which means your mouth with your lips pursed. That's right, So let's just go out of the gate. For the three people who don't know what whistling is, Whistling is the act of making a sound by forcing air through your mouth through a narrow passage, typically with your lips pursed. And that is actually a specific kind of whistling, as we'll see, called pucker whistling. There's other kinds, but that is by far the most common form of whistling. If you can move your tongue a little bit, you can start to get pretty good at whistling. One other thing to start set everything up. There is no genetic basis for not being able to whistle. It's just a lack of practice.
Speaker 1: Do you whistle right out of the gate, let's hit me with that info. You bet, I don't mean. Can you whistle? Yes?
Speaker 2: I find myself more going like that, Like I'm not trying to do a song. I don't even know I'm doing it. I like realize I'm doing it as I'm doing it. It's just something to occupy the space around me. I guess. Okay, what about you, Chuck? Do you whistle? Chuck? Are you a whistler?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I whistle sometimes. I wonder if I annoy people by whistling.
Speaker 2: Oh, you've never annoyed me by whistling. I can tell you that.
Speaker 1: But back when, you know, in the early days of HowStuffWorks dot com, when we worked in a big office with you know, fifty people, I used to wonder about stuff like that, like, well, yeah, you know, am I whistling around the office? Is that annoying to people? Kind of like remember the guy who walked around in his sock feet? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Why did that bother me so much?
Speaker 1: Because he walked around in office with sock feet, including the bathroom.
Speaker 2: Yes, including the bathroom. That's why urinoal in socks it was. I mean, I know that that's just objectively wrong. But I don't the rest of it. I never understood why it bothered me so much.
Speaker 1: But you just you don't do that. You don't do that, that's why.
Speaker 2: But you're also not supposed to whistle around the office to FYI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think I literally kind of was like, I probably shouldn't do that around here, because that was the first office job I ever had.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, I know for a fact I've noticed you whistling before, but I can tell you it's never bothered me. Ever.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. I'm a pretty good whistler, so I like to whistle songs and things.
Speaker 2: You are a very good whistler.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. So well, you know, maybe I'll try a little bit out here and there.
Speaker 2: Jerry whistles too. You just can't hear it.
Speaker 1: Oh she's whistling right now.
Speaker 2: Way to go, Jerry, you're champ.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned the pucker whistle. That's the most common, you know, whistle that most people walk around doing.
Speaker 2: That's this.
Speaker 1: That that's right.
Speaker 2: I'm going to try to demonstrate them all, so you go through them all, demonstrate them.
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds great. Okay, my good friend Eddie whom you've met before. He does what's called the palettal whistling, which is sh that's right, except it makes a whistle sound right, and that is when you put the tongue on the roof of your mouth. I can't do it. Eddie does it really well, so it's always kind of fun. And I'm a big it's just a nostalgia last for me when whenever Eddie breaks out the pal little whistle?
Speaker 2: Can he spit like that too? You know how you can do like a little little thing of spit like really fast from your mouth by by touching your palette with your tongue.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, gleaking?
Speaker 2: Yes, can you do that?
Speaker 1: I can gleek, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: If Eddie can, well, then I'll bet you could pallette whistle and I can't. All right, what's the next?
Speaker 1: The old finger whistle? It's like uh yeah, except again caveat, except it makes a whistles sound.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I've never been able to do this. There are different methods, number of fingers where you place them, and stuff like that. The old taxi whistle, that's a that's a finger whistle. Usually I've always been jealous of people who could really bust out a loud finger whistle. I could never do it. Are you jealous the finger whistlers? I mean that's very low on the scale, but sure a little bit.
Speaker 2: Ok, all right, I mean they're putting their fingers in their mouths, yeah, and walking around New York City.
Speaker 1: Yep. That's really loud, though.
Speaker 2: But if you could just Pallett whistle, you can usually whistle as loud as a finger whistle.
Speaker 1: In my oh, aren't very loud.
Speaker 2: It's like this right?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, I think you're thinking of two different things. Are you thinking of a palette whistle as like a taxi call without fingers?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, it's the kind of where like your your lips kind of press back in your in your face a little bit and your teeth cairt explosed and your tongue goes up to the roof of your mouth.
Speaker 1: I think we have a different version of palette whistle. Then maybe I can get Eddie Eddie to record his Pallett whistle.
Speaker 2: So I know what you're talking about. Then I've seen video of that. Yes, it's coming. It's almost like it comes from the back of the throat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I wish I could do it. When I try to do what he does, it's just nothing comes out.
Speaker 2: At all palattle whistling except to mix this sound.
Speaker 1: And then there's throat whistling, which is a very strange looking whistle because your mouth is open. You're you're not you don't have like a puckered purse lip.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's what I'm thinking of. I don't know what palattal whistling is.
Speaker 1: If it's not, you know what, I'll at the very least I'll get Eddie to send me an audio thing that I'll text you.
Speaker 2: Okay, can you text him now? Sure, I'll talk you. Just text for a minute.
Speaker 1: For the throat whistling. I would want to recommend did you watch those videos I sent you? By any chance I didn't, chuck, I'm sorry. Oh man, that's all right. You have to though, you owe it to yourself, okay, because they're just go to YouTube and type in Ralph Whistler, guys, I guess g I E. S. E. On Kelly and Company, nineteen eighty four, and just witness the beauty of this guy Ralph doing his throat whistling to Georgia on my mind, which got about a half a million, five hundred and fifty thousand views. Then right afterward, in fact, you'll be proddedge to watch the next video, which is best singer ever Whistler redub which is somebody who redubbed him with his strange facial movements. As actual we won't even call it singing, but other mouth noises. That has gotten two and a half million views. Nice and I watched it seven times a day and laughed just as hard every single time. It's man, got funny, It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll definitely watch it, so Chuck. We can't actually say when whistling started. Some people say that it actually was a proto language, which I find is absolutely fascinating totally. We do know that the that well back into prehistory and the Neolithic Age, people were using maybe even Neanderthals too. We're using bone whistles, the grimmest kind of whistle, which would indicate that we were already familiar with whistles. We probably had figured out how to whistle by then. There's a bioacoustician named Julian Meyer who says the muscles it takes the amount of brain power it takes to whistle is so much less than it is to speak and to use words and creative vocabulary like that. That it just makes sense that we would have evolved to whistle first, at the very least, to get somebody's attention, right, and then once you have somebody's attention, you want to express an idea that just inherently follows. It's almost inevitable that we whistled before we learn to speak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there have been legitimate whistling languages discovered on every continent on planet Earth. And then once we move on to recorded history, we know for sure that Greeks and Romans and ancient Greece and Rome whistled because they whistle like to jeer from the audience, like people still do in Europe, at least Europe. I'm sure they do that in other countries, but we boo here in the United States, But in the UK and Europe they whistle when they want to express displeasure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There was also so Herodotus in his histories described a community in Ethiopia that lived in caves and spoke like and you know the term troglodites. These were the original troglodites. Yeah, and it's been taken her Auditus has to be taken with a grain of salt because he himself was relying on probably a lot of unreliable sources. He sounds like somebody who would have really bought the stuff that he read on Facebook and put a lot of stuff onto Facebook if you were alive today. But that doesn't mean that there was not like some kernel of truth. And this the Troglodites who spoke like bats has been taken to mean that they had a whistle based language.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were all over the place. People just took took whistling and his buddies, Hey, look at this mastad On over here. Let's take this thing down. He says that all in a whistle.
Speaker 2: He's like And also, have you heard the new Mastodon album?
Speaker 1: By the way, shout out to Mastodon. I was just the for the second year running the Celebrity Judge quote unquote Celebrity Judge and the Chicken Wing contest for the Kirk with Spring Fling, and one of the other judges was Braun, the drummer of Mastadon Awesome, and he was a super cool dude.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm sure, how could you not be if you're in Mastadon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'd said there and ate chicken wings together and very seriously reviewed them and rated them.
Speaker 2: So I'm sure you'd take that seriously. I would too. I would be very disappointed if you just took that as like a lark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sixteen chicken wings, wow, lucky. Yeah. Well I didn't eat them all. I ate a house to like four of them, and then most of the rest were just a bite or two.
Speaker 2: Okay. Do you like smoked wings like you know the Fox Brothers ilk?
Speaker 1: Yeah, smoke. I have a love hate with smoke on any food it can it's okay, But the same with mezcal. I like it and just little bits and blasts.
Speaker 2: M uh yeah, I'm with you. Uh. With the smoked wings though, that's that's kind of what I'm on right now. I can eat a lot.
Speaker 1: Of those those. I mean they the Fox Brothers wings are great.
Speaker 2: Well, nothing compliments and is complimented by Ranch more than a smoked wing. To me, It's even better than like a regular straight ahead buffalo wing. As far as the Ranch combo works, I.
Speaker 1: Don't need buffalo anymore at all. I'm a dry lemon pepper guy. Oh all right, These.
Speaker 2: Days, I always associate that with sports betting and watching like sports on Sunday for some.
Speaker 1: Reason, well, I do a bit of both.
Speaker 2: Speaking of dude, have you seen Sorry to all the people who are new to every podcast, have you seen the roast of Tom Brady?
Speaker 1: Oh? I saw parts of it, but there's no way I could sit through that in earnest, it's so bad.
Speaker 2: Like the stand up comedians and some of the podcasters did pretty well, Nicky Glazer won the night easily, handily, but when you finally get to Tom Brady's part, it like like it's unwatchable. You just can't you can't look. It's so it's so bad. He's like so going with the joke of how he's the greatest that it becomes kind of painfully clear that he's actually being dead serious at that point. It's not joking at all. It's really tough. I would actually recommend just watching like the first minute and a half of it and see if you can make it that far.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I could, but shout out on the key Glazer one time stuff you should.
Speaker 2: Know listener at least yeah, that one time.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know if she still is. In other words, I know what you mean you're just joking. All right, Can we get back to whistling. Yes, that's all my fault. We can move past the history. People get what's going on here.
Speaker 2: Well, we need to talk about when whistling was like a big deal though in history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was getting to. Okay, we're talking Initially, you know that ancient history stuff was like hey, look over here, Hey what should we do? Hey, we're communicating. But if you're talking about whistle why you work? Musical whistling and other words, it's kind of tougher to trace that history because there's nothing, you know, there's no fossil that would indicate anything. But Linda Hamilton, who is a historian and loves whistling, has definitely referenced whistlers in the sixteen hundreds. My bet is that it goes back even further because if people learn to whistle, I believe people are inherently musical, then people are, in my mind, whistling for enjoyment and pleasure.
Speaker 2: Pleasure. Yeah. Well, even in the Canterbury Tales, Chaucer says the young squire spends his days singing and whistling. So I mean, yeah, that's yes, I agree, I think the first time somebody realized they could whistle, it immediately kicked off the human I guess pastime of whistling for pleasure. Yeah, absolutely, so yeah, they were like, hey over here, Hey, I like that a lot. I'm just going to keep saying hey over here a bunch of times. That was the first time it happened.
Speaker 1: The first song written by a whistle was called hey over here.
Speaker 2: So there were actual songs. There were professional whistlers late nineteenth century vaudeville that makes sense, like Vaudeville of George. They had so many acts doing so many different things. Of course there were whistlers, but it caught on, and in the first pretty much half of the twentieth century, there were a lot of whistling acts, whistling performers. They have names like Ronnie Ronalde, Muzzy Marcellino, just perfect names like that, and they were big enough that I think in nineteen forty nine Ronnie Ronalde sold out Radio City Music Hall for ten weeks and he was a whistler.
Speaker 1: Every night for ten weeks.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, not just like once and then ten weeks later, I mean like every night for ten weeks.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a six thousand cap venue.
Speaker 2: He was a whistler.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I mean that just so was how big it was. It was usually people. I mean, if you had a whistling act, you were doing one or you were doing usually both of two things, which is whistling songs and things and then mimicking song birds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's still a thing. I watched Pucker Up, the documentary on whistling. Did you see it?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: It's great almost in the way that it starts out too. I was like, this is indistinguishable from an episode of documentary. Now, like the first half hour, it really was not tell it.
Speaker 1: Apart, Yeah, except there was no Fred Armiston her Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I was just waiting for him to pop up. It was like that go on. But it's a really really sweet, charming documentary and all the people involved are pretty great. But one of the first people, I think, the first whistler they introduce you to a guy named Joe Siddano. He as doing bird impressions out in the woods and the birds are responding to him. It's really neat to see. You're like, wow, this guy's communing with the birds right now out in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's talking better watch what you say though, buddy, Yeah, for sure. So it was going on pretty well, whistling very very big in vaudeville, like you said, in a popular act just period, so much so that there was an academy. In nineteen oh nine, the Agnes Woodward, California School of Artistic Whistling opened up, and she had some pretty high profile clients, including John Wayne. I guess wanted to learn how to whistle really well, Pat Boon, Bing Crosby.
Speaker 2: If you're in a Western, you better know how to whistle. That's my guess why John Wayne needed to learn at.
Speaker 1: Least whistle for your horse at the very least.
Speaker 2: Sure. Yeah, your horse loves to hear you whistle.
Speaker 1: That's a funny joke though in a Western, it's like the cowboy who can't whistle probably feels pretty bad about himself.
Speaker 2: Probably that reminds me of the singing horse in Top Secret.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was just on an episode of Scott hasn't seen, so that's fresh in my mind.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, good, So you remember the singing Horse.
Speaker 1: I remember that, and that it just made me remember how funny that movie is. It is really is.
Speaker 2: So I think you were a kind of getting to this point where all of a sudden, almost overnight, every whistling act just went away. The world said, we're done with whistling. Stop whistling, And very interestingly, whistling is like not just a musical act, but just kind of as a pastime, something that people just generally did. Went away at the same time too, And I saw that it was chalked up by some people to the advent of the transistor radio, and then eventually the walkman and the iPod I think it was somebody on Pucker Up kind of made this case. And it really makes sense because one of the reasons people would whistle before is because you're just keeping yourself occupied, you're keeping yourself entertained, you're creating music for yourself to enjoy. And that need for that went away when we were able to carry around things that could do that for us, starting with the transistor radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. It also had a bad reputation, even in certain instances in the eighteen hundreds in the UK there were stores that banned whistling because it was used as a sort of language basically between pickpockets and thieves to warn each other. It is still sort of sort of a trophy shorthand for someone that's up to no good, usually somebody trying to play it off as if they are carefree. Oh yeah, like if you were, Yeah, if you were doing a sketch, a comedy sketch about a shoplifter. Every time the shop owner looks over at the shoplifter, they would probably like look up at the sky, and that would kill absolutely. And it's just become sort of a trope. Is a shorthand again, just another sort of weird use for whistling.
Speaker 2: So it's just like roller skating. You remember how like roller skating was huge in the late seventies and all of a sudden, just overnight, it went away, But like Black culture was like, nope, we're still roller skating, and roller skating continue to be a thing. That kind of happened with whistling. The world was like, we're done with whistling, but a subset of people were like, no, we're going to keep whistling and kept the dream alive of whistling over the years. And I say, we take a break and we come back and talk about a few contemporary whistlers. Let's do it, okay, Chuck, So we're talking about people who whistle today sometimes for a living. There was an artist in the nineties named Marge Carlson who whistle a lot of saccharine Christian songs and was known as America's Sweetheart of bird songs. She was quite a good whistler, but she had albums like she released albums where rather than singing, it was all instrumental, and one of the instruments was her whistling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's still a thing. I'm sure you looked at these videos, Josh, but there is big things to Anna, by the way, who put this together for us, very cool, robust article. But she found Molly Lewis, who is a contemporary professional whistler, just a wonderful whistler, releasing that She has an EP called The Forgotten Edge. She performs live in concert. There's a very fun YouTube with Molly on one of those Sunday morning shows.
Speaker 2: I can't remember, yes, Sunday Morning. It was good little segment, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Very good little segment, like you said, and she just Molly just seems terrific, very enthusiastic about whistling.
Speaker 2: Yes, she's a whistler, but at the same time she's like bewildered that she's actually making a career of whistling, like she's able to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's kind of laughing about it, and not like in a put down way. You just kind of like, I'm good at this weird thing and it's just kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She's got some contemporaries too, a lot of I think actually Molly competed too, a lot of the people who you would have heard of as whistlers at least now if you really dig into whistling, you'll end up hearing about him like Chris Olman, Yurt or sorry hert Chatrow, who's just an amazing person. Apparently they competed in like the International Whistling Finals, And as you kind of start to dig into the world of whistling, some names kind of bubble up to the top. And that's because they're essentially competitive whistlers. There's whistling competitions that are held over the years, and some people who are just the best of the best at whistling will compete. So in addition to Molly Lewis, you'll run across the guy named Chris Olman, who's a champion whistler, a guy named hert Chatrow, who's another champion whistler, and they're just amazing and if you if you listen to them, it's like, especially if you just just go watch Pucker Up the documentary. I think it's even on YouTube for free. Yeah, like you'll start to realize that people have their own style, their own techniques. It's not just like there's one way to whistle. People have figured out a bunch of different ways to whistle in different combinations of those ways to whistle, and they're keeping it alive.
Speaker 1: Like I said, that's right. I mean, Sammy Hagar may say there's only one way to rock, but he will also say there's a lot of ways to whistle.
Speaker 2: That's right. And he said for those about to rock, we salute you, and.
Speaker 1: We salute Sammy because he just got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Speaker 2: Oh really, congrats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, way to go, Sammy. So if you are a great whistler and you, you know, maybe compete in these competitions and you're like, well, not popular enough to get my album out there, like Molly Lewis, you probably could find a home. It sirked us Ola because they have had quite a few whistlers over the years perform with them as circus is a bit of a modern day vaudeville, and they have all kinds of fun things like that. Yeah, we go every year here in Atlanta. It's a nice fun tradition for the fam. You can also whistle on songs and soundtracks. Molly Lewis whistled on that Barbie soundtrack. That's so great. Of course, who can forget the good, the bad, and the ugly Sergio Leoni's famous famous spaghetti Western in which Alessandro Alessandroni did that very sort of iconic whistle for that movie.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's iconic for sure. I mean it signifies anytime somebody is you're suddenly like potentially in danger because an extraordinarily capable killer has showed up?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'd described that.
Speaker 1: Correctly, No, like if the s was about to go down?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so.
Speaker 1: And as a refresher, of course, Clinty Sort was a good, Lee Van Kleep was a bad and Eli Wallach was the ugly anyway, I know, do you want to bust that one out for us.
Speaker 2: Like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That was great.
Speaker 2: I got another one too. There's actually a name you know that whistling part where eld Driver is going to kill the bride at the very beginning of Kill Bill Volume one. Yeah, that song is called Twisted Nerve and it's like the creepiest song you've ever heard in your life. And it's from a nineteen sixty eight British thriller called Twisted Nerve. You know the song I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: I mean, i'd probably recognize that it's been wat since I've seen that though.
Speaker 2: It's just creepsville. And for some reason, I think it's because it's whistled in part is why it's creepy. It's a creepy song.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll have to check that out. You want to take a stab at it her?
Speaker 2: Now? Sure you know the song?
Speaker 1: No, but I feel like applauding.
Speaker 2: I think we should overdub the actual song where I start just impress everybody.
Speaker 1: That'd be pretty great. Of course, we have to name the fact that sometimes people will whistle as a character. Let's say, if you're Woodstock in Peanuts, Jason Saranus did the Woodstock whistles. And there's got any Percy Edwards who is an animal impressionist and he voices whistles for a lot of animated characters.
Speaker 2: He also was the voice er I guess the character of Fiz Gig in the Dark Crystal. Essentially that one of the pets.
Speaker 1: You just whistled, And what did I just whistle? What did I do? I indicated something, didn't I?
Speaker 2: You expressed emotion, in this case admiration or being impressed.
Speaker 1: That's right, And what we're talking about is why people whistle. And we've kind of poked around here and there. You know first about the fact that there were languages and stuff like that. If you lived in a mountainous region, A very good way to communicate over a longer distance like that and maybe give a direction is to have some whistles that you agree on. Rather than try and get someone to understand you saying you know, there is wood over here, you might have a whistle that can indicate that a little more clearly. Over a great echoe.
Speaker 2: Distance, there's also yes. And that's the whole point. Echoe distances are basically the basis of what are known as whistled languages, and they're a whistled version of your local language. So like if you were saying there's wood over there, you'd be like, right, and it actually works, like your whistle can travel way farther. I saw something like five hundred and fifty meters on like a nice spring day, compared to forty meters for just speech one hundred and twenty meters for shouting. One hundred and fifty meters is what your whistle will carry. And there's like neurologists and linguists are just fascinated by this, Like how could you kind of imitate a sentence in whistle and the receiver here's the sentence essentially in the same way as if you spoke it. Like it goes to show like there's a lot that you can strip out of speech and still get the point across. That's what whistle languages to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you think about it, there's only a handful of words that you might want to communicate. You don't have to say, hey, we have firewood over here. You just have to be able to say fire here or or vegetable here, you know, And you can just combine very rudimentary expressions to one another informative expressions. What would you call that? Information? Sure, an informative expression.
Speaker 2: I like that, actually, I like that a lot more than dumb old information. Also, the other person says, what kind of a right, the initial person says tomatoes, and the second person goes tomatoes a fruit, and the initial person says, is it? And it just keeps going on like this. But imagine people doing that whistling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be pretty great. We have the legendary wolf whistle, which of course is the that originated they believe as a call like shepherds was used. Would use that to communicate that there are wolves about, and then that evolved to something that you know, a street manhole repair cover person in New York City might do to any woman that walks by.
Speaker 2: Still supposedly, in twenty eighteen, France banned wolf whistling with a seven hundred and fifty euro fine on the spot. You would be like, you need to pay this on the spot, And that fascinating because it's a it's a form of sexual harassment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look at France.
Speaker 2: And I saw that the or furthest back that a wolf whistle in that context can be traced to is that nineteen forty three Tech Savery cartoon Red Hot Riding Hood, where the cartoon wolf is like watching Riding Hood like perform on stage and just completely loses his mind.
Speaker 1: Any wolf whistles, that's right, you know earlier the old uh? I mean that can that one in itself can mean several different things. You could be impressed by something and go like that, or you could use it sort of derisively if someone did something really embarrassing or bad at a party.
Speaker 2: True, you just made my stomach turn? Wow? Well yeah, effect of a whistle in certain contexts.
Speaker 1: And usually like an eye roll and something along with it will help indicate that expression. But it's just really fascinating how many different sort of you can express disappointment or excitement, Like, how many different things you can do from just a simple whistle.
Speaker 2: Wonder where your car is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how would you do that? Wait? I thought that was vegetable here.
Speaker 2: And one other thing we have to talk about. We mentioned communicating with animals, and we talked about this in I think They're communicating with animals episode appropriately enough. The greater honeyguide, which is a type of bird found in Tanzania Mozambique that honey foragers. Human honey foragers have learned to communicate to whistle to the greater honey guide to get them to come out of the trees and lead them to a beehive.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: I love that. Communicating with animals, I think is just fantastic.
Speaker 1: It's the best. Maybe we'll take a break in a sec, but we'll go over some quick superstitions involving whistling, and you know, instead of going through all these I think they can all almost be lumped into. Whistling in a certain place or at a certain time can bring bad luck. It seems like Polynesia, Iceland, Hawaii, Mexico, Hong Kong, Scandinavia. There's so many countries where if you whish, like I said, in the wrong place or at the wrong time, it can be a bad omen. It can mean there's ghosts about, or there's spirits about, just sort of depending on when and how it's done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, usually it's whistling in the dark or after dark. Is a terrible idea in a lot of these cultures around the world, and that the bad luck that you're going to bring yourself is summoning spirits, demons, that kind of thing who will snatch your soul essentially. But I find it fascinating that whistling in the dark or whistling after nightfall is like almost a universal superstition.
Speaker 1: Well, I've never heard of that.
Speaker 2: I hadn't either, but I mean all of the different, like widespread cultures that share that belief, it suggests that it's a very very very old superstition.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: So you want to take that break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll take the break and we'll talk more about whistling and basically how you do it right after this. Okay, all right, we're back with promise on teaching you to whistle. It is very cute when you have a kid and they try to learn to whistle and think and claim that they are whistling when they are not. At least that was my case early on, when Ruby was trying to learn how to whistle, she'd be like, Daddy, I can whistle. Oh, let's hear it. And what can you say besides hey, that sounds great, keep at it.
Speaker 2: You were like, and gave Brad and iyrol exactly and she was like, what is that?
Speaker 1: That is not even a whistle. But it does take some time to learn how to whistle. Some people never learn, but you can teach yourself. What you're doing basically is creating your mouth becomes an instrument and becomes a chamber. Basically where you are passing air from one small opening from your lungs where the air comes from out of your puckered lips. And you do that with the standard pucker whistle by placing your tongue. And you might even realize at first, I was like, wait a minute, the tongu's not on the roof of your mouth. But the tongue is absolutely at the roof of your mouth. The very back of your tongue is at the very back of the roof of your mouth, not the front of your tongue. The front of your tongue is pressed against the bottom row of teeth. And that's what you do. You just start blowing. You form that O shape with your mouth and just practice, practice.
Speaker 2: Practice, Yeah, it's really neat. It's called the Helmholtz chamber that you're forming, which is a type of resonance chamber. And because you're forcing air through a large from smaller holes into a larger hole back into a smaller hole and your tongue's there by moving your tongue, you can adjust like all sorts of weird currents that you're creating in the air pressure and that creates the vibrations that make the sound, which is why when you move your tongue around, you change notes and pitch and timber and all sorts of crazy stuff. And that's whistling. That's pucker whistling. That's what you're doing. I love it. I love that there's like an explanation that makes total sense. It's deeply satisfying to me. It would suck if we're like, we still don't know how we whistle. I think I would lose my mind if that were the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, when we're saying things like moving your tongue around and the tongue is pressed against the top of your mouth, like if you don't know how to whistle, and that's frustrating you and you're just moving your tongue all over the place, it's they're very very subtle movements. Like I said, I didn't even realize my tongue was a against the back of the roof of my mouth. I didn't either until I started whistling and I was like, oh, wait a minute, I guess it is. And then the back of my tongue, very subtly moving back and forth against the back of the roof of my mouth is what creates the different tones and pitches and warbles and what have you. So it's not it's just all just very, very slight movements. You're going to frustrate yourself if you don't know how to whistle and you're trying just all these crazy things with your tongue in your mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Chris Olman, that champion professional whistler, he spoke with Vox and said, I'll give you four steps to whistling. First, form and O with the shape of your mouth. Second, press the tip of your tongue to your teeth, usually the bottom row of the inside of the bottom row of your teeth. And then he said, blow gently. This is important. You want your air to be focused and constant, not necessarily hard. The hearder you blow, it's actually it makes it more difficult to whistle. You just wanted to kind of blow concertedly but not hard. And then lastly, you just keep practicing. And the way that he put it is you practice each one of those steps in secession. So you just keep forming an over and over until you've got the mouth position going.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel good because my steps were exactly like the pros.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess you just intuitively knew how to whistle. You just taught yourself like that? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm saying the way I described it how to do it was. Oh, of course he's.
Speaker 2: A pro, So you're a pro podcaster.
Speaker 1: So should we talk a little bit about famous whistling stuff?
Speaker 2: I think so. I mean, at the very least, we have to talk about to Have and Have Not?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, the I mean take it away.
Speaker 2: Then, okay. So there's an adaptation of a Hemingway novel To Have and Have Not, with Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart, and there's a very famous line where Bacaull says, you know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow. And that's probably the most famous movie line about whistling ever. Uttered everybody knows that one. Then you might not know a movie it's from or who said it, but you've heard that line. Don't even kid yourself.
Speaker 1: The very famous whistle while you work from Stow White and the Seven Doors. Of course, the Andy Griffith Show. I remember very distinctly when my brother, when I first visited him in Los Angeles in the early nineties, he drove me up and up and around, and finally I came upon through the Hollywood Hills and I came upon this weird lake and I was like, well, what is this? And he just started whistling Andy Griffith and I was like, no, He's like, yep, this is it. I knew it wasn't Mayberry, but I didn't know really anything about how movies were made at the time. Sure, so it was just surprising to see that, Like the bat Cave is the Hollywood Hills and the Andy Griffith Lake is right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same with the Hills in mash the Hills of Korea. Yeah, there's a lot of songs too. We gotta we gotta name check a few of these songs that have whistling in them. Yes, there's walk like an Egyptian. It's a good one, precisely, Okay, Yeah, demonstrate them all. Otis Redding's Dock of the Bay very nice.
Speaker 1: My whistle is very dry. Right now, I'm not at my top.
Speaker 2: Form Scorpions, Winds of Change.
Speaker 1: I can't think of that one. I know that song? What is it?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right, Yeah, it's good. There's also a bunch of others. Me and Julio down by the schoolyard, Don't worry, be Happy. Maybe the iconic whistling song, that one sudden part where Axel Roses starts whistling in patience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was on my list. That's a great whistle.
Speaker 2: Lile, I Love You The Pixies song.
Speaker 1: Uh huh yeah, yeah, I'm going to see them next week.
Speaker 2: You're going to see the Pixies yea where.
Speaker 1: They're playing Chastain with Modest Mouse.
Speaker 2: Oh neat, So is Kim deal back with them yet? Or no?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, she's she's never coming back.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: And not only that, they kicked out pause their their bass player that they've had for the past eight or nine years.
Speaker 2: Wow. We black Francis is going on a tear.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah. I don't want to speak out of school about why that may or may not have happened, but it seems fairly disappointing from what I've read. Wow, yeah, but I'm still going.
Speaker 2: Uh, what else was there? Oh? Mariah Carey is a famous whistler.
Speaker 1: Well, eh, I know you're kidding around there. Mariah Carey is noted for singing in what's called the flute register, or the whistle register, which is a vocal register. It's the highest one in the vocal register, higher than falsetto. Even that very very few people can do. And they call it the whistle register or the flute register because those pitches can generally only be made by flutes and whistles rather than a singer like Mariah.
Speaker 2: Once you hear it described as the whistle register, and you hear those notes that she's sitting, you're like, oh my god, that sounds exactly like a whistle. It's like a perfect name for it. Yeah, but she's singing it. It's absurd. Yeah, and all it should be essentially impossible what she's doing. She's not the only one. Minnie Ripperton is another famous one who hit the whistles register. Yeah, the famous seventies souls songstress. All those are the two of that come to mind. Okay, but that's I'm just impressed to no end by that.
Speaker 1: What about the what's the name Aguilera.
Speaker 2: Christina Aguilera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, she's got that whistle range. I've heard it.
Speaker 2: Does she really sure? Okay?
Speaker 1: I think she's there's a couple of younger artists. Actually, she's not one of the younger artists anymore either.
Speaker 2: Really No, we're pretty old chun Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 1: You mentioned those competitions. The I think granddaddy of them all was shuttered unfortunately in twenty fourteen. It started nineteen seventy three, the Louisbourg or louis Bourg, I don't know how they say it. They're in North Carolina, and it was a big one, and like I said, it shut down in twenty fourteen, and I believe it's now just its own event. It was part of the Louisbourg College Folk Festival and now it's the National Whistlers Convention. So it more morphed then shut down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think it just became so popular people are like, we want this to be its own event. Yeah. Somehow, for some reason in twenty fourteen, that was the last one, and that was the competition that's featured on Pucker Up by the way. That National Whistler's Convention, I think it was international. And then luckily a ficionaudo named Caroline Kaufman, who said, hey, we're going to keep this going, created the Masters of Musical Whistling competition in Pasadena, I think starting in twenty twenty. This year's and off year, but the website promises it's coming back in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: I love it. We should finish probably on some Guinness records because my friend, if we want to take the time and do a lot of paperwork, we could very easily hold our own Guinness World record, and I kind of think we should do it. What well, in twenty fourteen, there was a Guinness record for the most people whistling at the same time at a single venue, and it was a mere eight hundred and fifty three people at the Spring Harvest in the United Kingdom. We could bust that record at one of our live shows very easily.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we totally. That's a great idea. We got to get that in the works chuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which means who's going to do all the work, because we talked about about, oh god, how much work it is, and most people give up because there's so much work to officially get a record, you know verified.
Speaker 2: This feels like a jerry job. Oh yeah, right, what are we going to get everybody to whistle?
Speaker 1: Oh goodness, I mean probably the stuff you should know jingle theme.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good idea. I was thinking winds are change and we would invite the escorpions to sing a capella to the whistling.
Speaker 1: That's a good idea. We could just get up there and go what were you doing?
Speaker 2: I think it was a Christmas Carol. I don't know which one though.
Speaker 1: Wow. All right, well, as long as no one does what you do, we'll be just fine.
Speaker 2: I thought we harmonized quite nicely. Oh okay, Well, let's talk about some world records, because yes, I agree, we should break that one, and we'll ask Jerry to help us with that.
Speaker 1: We could do that everywhere, but probably DC, that's right, or Atlanta. Well, we'll get in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see. So in two thousand and four, this is insane. Okay, no, this isn't a saying. This is still pretty impressive. Marco Ferrera in two thousand and four, and then Luca Zoki or Zochi Nozoki in twenty fourteen. They hold the record for the world's loudest whistle. They each reached one hundred and twenty five decibels. Again, I don't remember what episode we were in, but that's like rock concert level decibels. I think it was our plane travel.
Speaker 1: That's that is amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, the one that really knocks my socks off, though, Is the one that Joshua Lockert broke?
Speaker 1: Oh the highest pitch? Yes, dude, I don't even know what that means.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he has the world record for the world's highest whistle in frequency ten five hundred and ninety nine hertz, which is almost eleven kill it hurts, right, go look up on YouTube eleven kill it hurts tone. And I played it and I had my volume up about halfway and it was just silent, and I was like, is this a prank? Is this a joke? Like somebody goes around and puts up like videos like they're playing a tone, but then doesn't put any sound to it. And I turned it all the way up and only then could I hear it. It was that high pitched. It was almost above like audible range of hearing. That's how high pitched it was. That guy did that with a whistle. It was It's amazing. I didn't hear it, but just from knowing what that tone sounds like, I can't imagine a human being doing that.
Speaker 1: I'm playing it right. Oh wait, turn it.
Speaker 2: Way up, but keep your wineglasses out of the room because they will shatter.
Speaker 1: I'm hearing nothing, right, turn it up. No, it's up all the way.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's what I'm saying, like it's it's amazing, Like I finally did hear it. I can confirm it's not just a prank.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, I got it. Mm hm, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Somebody whistled like that.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should just tell everyon We've been playing it this whole time, just to prove our point. You can't hear it because it's so high.
Speaker 1: Occasionally, ever since Ruby was a kid, I'll be in the car here and there, and I'll go, everyone knows I can sing lower than the new human, and then she'll try and sing lower, and then I'll go, and I.
Speaker 2: Can sing higher than any Oh, that's pretty high.
Speaker 1: She will always, but it's not singing, of course, and then she responds back fussly and is also not singing.
Speaker 2: Do any of you have the whistle register ability?
Speaker 1: Uh? No? No? And I feel bad that I really lamed out on whistling, because I'm a prettyod whistle. I can do some good warbles and stuff, but of course under the gun, I'm all dry mouth. It's just not happening.
Speaker 2: Were you nervous.
Speaker 1: Yeah that too. I'm not no, but I'm not even getting any warble.
Speaker 2: It's like a beautiful little lark flew into the room.
Speaker 1: As soon as we had stop, I'll be whistling like a songbird. I guarantee it. It just I'm locking up right now.
Speaker 2: I've got that last whistle was great. I've got one little fact to share.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So in one of the nineteen eighty four editions of the British Medical Journal, there was a case study about a patient who suffered a stroke and as they were recovering, there are only way to communicate. They couldn't talk. They had an elated mood. I saw it, described it so imagine a really happy person who could only whistle. That's how the guy was communicating as he came back as he was recovering from his stroke. Isn't that amazing? I couldn't talk. He whistled. He wasn't whistling in words. He would just whistle as if he were communicating. That is really sweet, I thought, so too. Yeah what else? Anything else?
Speaker 1: I got nothing else?
Speaker 2: Well then, everybody. That means, of course it's time for listener mail.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, this is a follow up on trash in the book plug this seems just like a wonderful thing. Hey, guys, wanted to write in and give an extra big hat tip your recent New York City trash episode. What joy That episode brought me. I live in New York City and I have what one may say is an obsession with trash here Wow started during COVID as I was locked down with my partner who then lived on Roosevelt Island and his apartment head views of the East River the path of the container garbage barges from ninety first Street Marine transfer Station. I watched them, made efforts to identify them, film them, and eventually it led to me writing a children's book about New York City trash.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 1: It's so cool. Seeing the multitude of the garbage was jarring and all very fascinating. The book is about Gary, a city rat, and his adventures with Marge. The garbage barge. Is definitely not a full capture of the city's garbage, but a story of one of its many routes. I now live in Brooklyn with my partner, so I no longer have regular views of the garbage barges boo, but I still visit the river to look at them. Needless to say, I love your other previous garbage related episodes as well, and I want to say general thank you for your show. I've been a listener since twenty sixteen, learn so much from you across so many topics. And lastly, I'm greatly looking forward to your live show in New York at the end of the month. That is from Jessica Chang in Brooklyn, New York. And Jessica's book is Gary meets Margethebarge.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Congratulations, Jessica. That's a great book idea. Yeah, I gotta get that one.
Speaker 1: So go go buy it, go to some independent bookseller of your choice or look it up online and it's port Jessica.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, just walk in and say I'll take one copy of Jerry meets Marche the Barge please, that's right, and they'll go.
Speaker 1: Another one.
Speaker 2: If you want to be like Jessica and let us know about an awesome book you wrote, we would love to hear that. You can write about your book in an email and send it off to Stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts, my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.