Speaker 1: Cavino and Rich Over Promise, presented by DraftKings Fantasy Sports. Check out what DraftKings has to offer with the code over Promise. Because life's more fun when you're in on the action DraftKings. The crown is yours.
Speaker 2: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler Age and eligibility restrictions apply void where prohibited. See DraftKings dot com for details.
Speaker 1: Yo, what's going on, buddies.
Speaker 2: Welcome to our bonus pod Over Promise, brought to you by DraftKings Sports Book.
Speaker 1: I'm Steve Cavino.
Speaker 2: That is Rich Davis, and he's got your picks today, and we're going to talk about name changes in life, name changes in sports, some big name changes in the past few weeks.
Speaker 1: I think you just said name changed ten times. We're gonna talk all about them. I think like two or three times, and I'm so I'm just irritable. You know why. It's the new year. Everyone try to eat healthy, go to the gym. The last couple of days, everywhere I goes, someone's like, do you want a cupcake? You want pizza? You want this? I'm like, everyone's freaking sabotaging. Have you broken? Of course? I have You're you gonna shave that beard or no, I am for the playoffs. This is the anti playoff man. I think you ever do the tune up? I need a haircut, and I'm like, I'm gonna shave and get a haircut in the same day and then feel like the man.
Speaker 2: I thought you were getting a super wild beard for Super wild Card week.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna give you a teaser at a parlay that I don't know how on freaking Earth could fail. So she wait for that. Now.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Super wild Card weekend, the game everybody's talking about. We were talking about it and over promised on Fox Sports Radio Cavino and Rich it's the Miami at Kansas City game, the coldest game in franchise history for both teams. And you know it's gonna be on Peacock. Nobody wants to pay for it, but we.
Speaker 1: All want to watch it. But the other really great, great matchup, well, we talked about it yesterday. I'm getting it just so I can watch Alfree runs. Yes, yes, yes, that's why we're getting Peacock. The other great matchup is the Rams at Detroit for several reasons. But there's some controversy going on. We want to break it down. Well, yeah, Matthew Stafford's beautiful wife, Yeah, seems to be offended and rightfully so that there's restaurants and everyone in Detroit saying you better not be wearing Stafford rightfully, so says Lions jerseys.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they're trying to ban Stafford Lions jerseys because they're going against Stafford.
Speaker 1: What's wrong with that? It's playful, it's sports.
Speaker 2: Why should people be rocking Stafford's jersey when they're playing against him? There's a time and a place you could rock at stafford jersey, but not at the game, or maybe when he's not playing against your team, or maybe when he's done with the Rams.
Speaker 1: Well look at this jersey ban. They're trying not to let him be allowed at Ford Field, and a lot of local bars, Detroit bars, are saying, if you wear a Matthew Stafford Lions jersey, you won't even be able to get in. So it's a big story because it's playful, it's fun, but it brings up the question Covino, when a player leaves your team, Yes, much like a marriage, your relationship with job, doesn't it matter how you leave, Like when I was a kid, Mookie Wilson left.
Speaker 2: A Mets doubt he got traded. It wasn't his face his fault. So again, why hold anything against Stafford?
Speaker 1: I get all Jimmy Garoppolo, right, I was a Garoppolo supporter. Yeah, it's not like he wanted to leave. The nine ers are like, hey, Jimmy G, it's been fun. Later am I supposed to be? Like if Jimmy G he would have stayed if he could have.
Speaker 2: Speaking of it, seems Robert Kraft has said that Belichick is leaving amicably.
Speaker 1: He's very mutual. Right, how someone leaves a relationship, It does matter.
Speaker 2: I get that. Why hold it against Stafford? But it's not like anyone's holding it against Stafford. It's like, hey, we're not.
Speaker 1: Rooting for him.
Speaker 2: In fact, the whole sentiment is, and I quote according to social media, so it has to be true, we love Stafford meaning Detroit, we love Stafford is not that bad, just not this week. Isn't that fairy? So why should they be rooting for him. He's trying to beat them, and she's taking the high road saying we always spoke highly of Detroit in our time there but seriously, you're not rooting for Detroit this week, You're rooting for your husband.
Speaker 1: You know it goes both ways. Is sports is playful, It's just not this week.
Speaker 2: So I don't think anyone's burning jerseys of Stafford. I don't think people are throwing it away and talking maliciously about the guy.
Speaker 1: They're just saying, hey, we're not going to be supporting him this week.
Speaker 2: And I think that's totally fair, regardless of how he left Detroit.
Speaker 1: I can't disagree with you. Kelly Stafford a little sensitive about this. I get it. She's listen, we did so much, They did a lot of that Detroit community, so I think she's just a little butt hurt. However, however, it's understandable a little bit, because you know you're not gonna if not. I find it to be not understandable at all. He spent twelve years the bulk of his prime losing in Detroit, goes to the Rams wins the Super Bowl. I listen, I get it, Okay, hold on, respect, you're respect a montage, you know how Tom, Sometimes a returning player gets a montage. Guy's not gonna get a montage for a playoff game. Beat it. If a guy.
Speaker 2: Is going to the game, yeah, in Detroit, to watch Detroit win, that's why he's gone.
Speaker 1: They're hoping. Wouldn't make any sense at all for him to wear stafford jersey.
Speaker 2: No way now, because why Stafford's trying to be the team you're rooting for. Correct, It makes no sense, And no one's saying to throw it away. Like we said just this week. Look, should a wife have her husband's back at all times and vice versa? Absolutely so, I understand and I get that, but this is sports, and it goes against rooting interest, goes against logic, goes against sense.
Speaker 1: So I think there's you know what it is. I think there's that line between playful and not and I think when it's not playful, Kelly Stafford's hurt. When it's playful, you get it. Spot I So you put some tweets up there. I gotta get my readers. Was there any update there? Ah?
Speaker 3: No, She just said this is sad because it's the complete, completely opposite of how we feel about the city. But Matthew has always been the bigger for to continue to be that praying for an incredible game with zero injuries.
Speaker 1: Well, isn't that the sweetest.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's fine, I guess, But I don't think anyone's doing anything wrong by not rooting for him this week. And again, rich back to the question to side question here doesn't matter how you leave. It absolutely does, and that's why they have that respect for him. That's why they're saying we love Stafford, just not this week.
Speaker 1: You know we're playing it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they're playing it right, and it's gonna be a fun matchup. And again, we're so focused on Miami at Kansas City and all the weather conditions and everything else, this might be the best matchup of all. In fact, I'd be more inclined to pay for this game than I am Miami at Kansas City.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a lot of juice there. I misread this whole story. I'm so sorry, Spot you put the clip back up for a second, that screenshot this one or the other one. They put a laughing emoji. I didn't know that they said we love Stafford, just not the week laughing at.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: But there are guys though, that have played on teams. You root for that when they leave, if they'd leave the via free agency or like yo I'm done. Good riddance. I'll give you too. Marcus Stroman, when he left the Mets and was all sour, calling everyone racist, you'll beat it. When Jacob de grob decided to go to Texas and not a bad idea, by the way, they won the World serious, but when he thought he was crazy. But you know, when he took all that money, I'd imagine there's Yankees that left, dude.
Speaker 2: First one that comes to mind for me is Robinson Cano because he was such a Yankee, you know, came up the Yankee ranks. He was that guy. He was the franchise face. And then he left for the money, and I feel like it worked against him, tarnished his own career, his reputation never was the same guy in Seattle, and look at him now. He's playing for the truth, Bob SquarePants, somewhere truth is take away Stafford for a second. If there's a player on your shit team, I'm sorry it'd be crude. But if you if you're shit and the star player on your team stars get a chance to go win somewhere else, you you root for them to succeed somewhere else.
Speaker 1: A great example would be I'd imagine. I could be wrong, but there's Washington fans that are like, man, yo, Chase Young, do your thing in San Francisco, go get a ring, because hey, listen, he'd put his heart and soul there and they told him, yeah, move along. We don't want to you know exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does depend and it doesn't matter how they left.
Speaker 1: If your girl starts banging everyone in town and leaves you, oh you're not gonna wish her well. No. But if it's like, hey, the relationship ran its course, but you're a good person.
Speaker 2: You want everyone to find happiness. And that's why I think this is your typical amicable sports matchup. This is a classic matchup. This is what makes it great. So Wifey here again in support of her husband. I get it, but she has to put her feelings aside. Everyone's playing this right.
Speaker 1: There are exs that you don't care about the at all, and then there's other ones where you like the pictures of them and their kids on Facebook. Right. True. Let's get into our picks. Courtesy of DraftKings Sportsbook. On yesterday's over promised, I hope you up with some picks for Saturday's games. Now I'm looking at Sunday. I'm looking at Sunday and Monday, the second half of the Super That's why I got the Super Whack Beard. This is going away before the weekend. Let's start with the fun is over teaser. When I say the fun is over, there's teams playing with big time house money, and I think the party ends here. Pittsburgh, I don't know how you're even in the playoffs. You're the weirdest ten and seven team I've ever seen in my life. God bless Mike Tomlin, Mason Rudolph. You know, I know Watt's injured, but it's you're talking about a team that grinds because I can't still understand how they're in the postseason. They're playing the hottest team in the AFC, arguably the Buffalo Bills. Oh.
Speaker 2: If you remember in the beginning of the season, everybody's very high on the Steelers. They've were you know, because they play. It's really not a surprise, right they seem like how that happen?
Speaker 1: Well, as you would say, one of the overused words in football, very physical, veryality, physicality. So the Bills are ten point favorites. I know, four is not the most ideal number, when it comes to teasers and point spreads. But take the Bills from minus ten to minus four. They need to beat the Steelers by four. I like that. I think they win that game. So Steelers just don't keep it too close. So Bills minus four and this bet part two of this I just love because if it went the other way, I wouldn't mind losing my money. The Cowboys are a touchdown favorite over the Packers. Take that from Cowboys by seven, Cowboys by one. They just need to win the game. Now, if I lose the bet because the Packers upset the Cowboys, I'll gladly take it. It's almost as if I paid for a Cowboys loss. And think of all the fun content we could have if Dak and Jerry Jones were eliminated in the first round.
Speaker 2: Yes to the very young and hungry Packers story.
Speaker 1: I mean so, I feel pretty confident that the Cowboys just win that game and Buffalo should take care of Pittsburgh. So that's my party's over teaser. Sorry Packers, Sorry Steelers. I think these are two good teams that could actually compete to go to the Super Bowl, So I just need to win, right. I like it now as far as a parlay goes, I'm calling this the all you need is a half a point parlay. All you need is a half a point. It's a little wordy.
Speaker 2: Should have worked on that one, actually, spot how about the half a point parlay when.
Speaker 1: You you know what, when you see the graphic in a second, maybe it is a little wordy. But here's the games. I like the Rams. We just talked about Stafford. I'm not saying the Lions lose the game, but right now it's Lions by three. Some places, you could get three and a half. And if you can't get three and a half, I suggest buy that half a point. You could buy the half a point Rams plus three and a half. Even if they lose by a field goal, you win the bets. I like the Rams, who are hot. They've won six of seven. We talked about it yesterday. They've lost one game in the last seven and news in overtime against the Ravens. So the Rams are pretty hot right now. They're they're they're got a great coach. You sure, because no one's really rooting for Stafford Pook and the CoA Cooper Cup that you know this team's legit. I think they're underrated based on their shitty starts of the season. So I like the Rams plus three and a half when I say they half a point, meaning if you get a three by the up by the half a point. Now here's the other game, Eagles on Monday night in Tampa their three point favorites by a point the other way, I like the Eagles minus two and a half if they can't beat the Bucks and Baker Mayfield, this ten and one team that's now eleven and six going into the postseason. I know it seems like the wheels are falling off, but if you don't think, I'm not saying they're gonna go all the way. The Eagles should at least be able to advance beyond the wild card round, should babe? Right? They caught the inch or something. So it's happened. I mean, my very wordy parlay of the week. Take a look. It's the half a point gonna make all the difference parlay. I like it. So you got the Rams with that nice ring to it, that Rams with the three and a half, and then you take the Eagles from three down to two and a half. So Eagles in by field goal, you in and the Rams just need to keep it close enough, so I like that as my parlay. Courtesy of Draftking sports Book.
Speaker 2: Draftking Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NFL Playoffs, bringing you an offer that to help make the playoffs electrifying. New customers can bet five bucks on any game, get two hundred instantly in bonus bets.
Speaker 1: Download the Draftking Sportsbook app now and use our code over promised. New customers can catch us five bucks and get two hundred instantly in bonus bets only on Draft Kings Sportsbook with code over promised.
Speaker 4: The Crown is yours. Gambling problem called one eight hundred Gambler or visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York, call eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hope and y four six seven three sixty nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling. Call eighty eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort in Kansas twenty one plus age fairies by jurisdiction void in Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. See dkang dot com slash football for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at your face.
Speaker 3: Wash.
Speaker 1: Your face usually tells which bet you like or if you're just going along with me, and I feel like you like both of them. Not bad. Yeah, I just didn't like the title, okay, but I liked it. Yeah. You know I've said this dumb strategy before because no one wants to give away money. But remember I told you I had a friend back in the day that hated the Yankees so much that when they dominated in the nineties and two thousands, he would bet on them in the postseason because he's like, if they lose, I'm buying a Yankees loss, and if they win, I'll be mad, but I've made money, right. That's how I feel about that Cowboys game. If the Packers could beat the Cowboys, I'll gladly give away fifty hundre bucks or something. So I like that bet a lot. The Cowboys. Cowboy they've won sixteen in a row at home. If Jordan Love could come into Jerry's world and win, I don't know he's hot right now, but I went there. I think that's a game.
Speaker 2: You guys are coming over for right, We're gonna watch some of those games on something. Yes, enjoy your weekend. I hope you're enjoying our bonus pod. Welcome back to over Promised, brought to you by Draftking Sports Book Again Cavino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio Monday through Friday, two to four on the West, five to seven on the East. We even have a Patreon, so if you like what we do, this is sort of a hybrid of everything we do. Over Promised our Patreon Monday through Thursday, Patreon dot com, Slash Cavino and Rich Steve Cavino, Rich it spotty again. You know, very excited for this week yet or I'm looking at my beard it is pretty weak.
Speaker 1: No, I like, I'm he's a wild guy. I don't know. Hey, well I've been crazy. Guys. I know that you and I are excited to be going to Vegas for the Super Bowl. Yes, less than a month we'll be. We'll be headed there to do radio roll the whole week, hit up the party. He set up the events, and one of the last times we were in Vegas was for a big fight Dravante Tank Davis now.
Speaker 2: I just want to make a clear Tank's not his real name, Jervante Davis. However, you were so so busy during the holidays, you probably missed. He changed his name. He converted to Islam. It's not the first time we've heard of this or have seen it in boxing, especially converted to Islam.
Speaker 1: He's now Abdul Wahid. I don't know if he's Abdul he keep the tank. I think he keep listen. Whether it's whether it's a cultural name or religious name. Nick don't nicknames supersede that. I think so. I instead of try to handle these things respectfully. Well, of course you're being respectful, but I'm saying if he was Dravante Tank Davis, I think he's now Abdull tank Wahid. I think so too.
Speaker 2: If you're not familiar with Gervonte Davis, he's the one thirty five w B, a regular lightweight champ. He's one of the best in the game pound for pound. But a guy who's becoming a household name as Jervonte Tank Davis no relation to rich Okay Davis.
Speaker 1: Unintended household name that's changed. That's changed.
Speaker 2: So it's like, wait, hold on, I just figured out who he was. Now he's Abdulla wah Heat.
Speaker 1: That's the story. But let's not be silly. It's happened before. Not only has it happened before, it's happened when other athletes, boxers have been in their prime. Yes, I mean it's like, it's not like this is the first time it's happened. And again, respectfully, culture religion, that people want to do this.
Speaker 2: There's always a reason. Like we said, he's converting Islam. It means the servant one, and he's following in the footsteps of one of the greats, Cassius Clay. And there's a backstory too when Cassius Clay converted to Islam. And Cassius Clay, by the way, such a cool name, so I'm sure there.
Speaker 1: Wasn't an easy decision for him. Well named him Clay. I'm Clay, No, but a very cool name, Cassius Clay. Right. And by the way, if you look.
Speaker 2: You see Larry Merchant in the background of that photo, that's him next to Muhammad Ali.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yes, I say, young Larry Merchant. So wait, who's the guy right below his balls? He's the photographer. That's a whole backstory there too.
Speaker 1: That guy's got a story like he's like, you know the famous Ali photo, I'm the guy rip below. There's a look it up on your own time.
Speaker 2: But he was supposed to be sitting where that guy got the shot.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So it's like a little insult to injury.
Speaker 2: There was a squabble there and that guy lost the shot and there he is, So yeah, that's not is that? Ed Katra Frank Purdue? I can't tell well either way. Muhammad Ali when he changed his name Ernie Terrell, he was like, I'm not calling him Muhammad Ali. He's Cash's claim.
Speaker 1: It's a different time, right, And he fought in nineteen sixty seven, so Muhammad Ali was like, you're not going to call me Muhammad Ali, then I'm gonna punish you.
Speaker 2: He took him fifteen rounds and the whole time. It's a classic story. What's my name, bah? What's my name?
Speaker 1: Bah? What's my name?
Speaker 2: But by the end of the fight he knew his name was Muhammad Ali.
Speaker 1: That's a good story.
Speaker 2: It comes full circle and we go over names that have changed in sports. But then it's a bigger question too. We get it, it's sports. We're like, all right, we roll with it, but are you okay if it was just your friend who came in. You know what, Let's give her some of my favorites. First, uh, the NBA. The most obvious one, Kareem abdul Jabbar. Now everybody knows he was lou Al Sinder, Right, lou Al Sinder. You'll tell you who didn't know? A kid in your neighborhood, kid in my neighborhood didn't know. I traded him like a Clutel Washington baseball card for well Cinder. He had no idea that it was Kreem abdul Jabbar. So he had no idea. So what I didn't know, though, is his real name is Ferdinand Lewis al Sinder Junior. I just knew it was lou Al Sinder. I didn't know it was Ferdinand. So but we know him now as Kareem abdul Jabbar. That's it now. Not all these are religious. Some of them are like, yeah, I'm just changing my name.
Speaker 1: I remember when John Carlo Stanton first came up to the Bigs with the Marlins before his Yankee days, he was Mike Stanton, and then one year he came back and He's like, man, I'm a John Carlo. Is that his official name? Ooo?
Speaker 2: John Coral And then he had the face mask with that little wiry jee covering it. I think he did it because to my knowledge as a Yankees fan, it was a very popular Mike Stanton in baseball.
Speaker 1: Already. Mike Stanton was a pitcher for the Yankees. Oh yeah, I mean that's the other story. If you want to talk about theres already won. There was already a Mike Stanton. So he said, I'll be John Carlo. You know Katy Perry, her name is Kate Hudson, and she changed her name to Katy Perry because it's like, well, there's already a Kate Hudson that everyone knows. Now another one. I'm confused by this because I get confused which Upton brother. There was bj Upton, but then he's not BJ anymore.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm the fan of the bj BJ you are, yeah, I mean, who's right. Bj Upton changed his name and that was short for Bossman Junior Bossman Junior b. J Upton changed his name from bj Upton to Melvin Upton, right, and he's like, yo.
Speaker 1: My name is Melvin.
Speaker 2: He stuck with Melvin right, and then his wife was like, honey, Melvin just sounds corny like Melvin, Like, it's just not no one's it's not sticking, and it doesn't sound good when they're reading the highlights, when they're calling the highlights, like, should probably go back to BJ. So he went from BJ Upton to Melvin Upton, back to BJ Upton. You're thinking of Justin Upton his brother too, right, so you're getting all confused. So no, he went from BJ Melvin back to BJ again.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I'm trying to think of a bad joke, but I was like, velvit Upton, are you gonna request a Melvin this week? I guess I was gonna say, honey, how about a Melvin? Yeah, it doesn't sounds good.
Speaker 2: I see.
Speaker 1: So, you know, they were on the sewing one more in the world of basketball ahead, but this is more of him just being a character. If you ask me, run our test metal world peace, yeah, but he lives by that meadow world and he does. I'm just saying. At first, I was like, you know, I try to be open minded, but I remember first saying, yo, you really want me to call this guy world piece? Come on.
Speaker 2: You know it's a good message whom it's a good message. But it also was part of like his change, right. It was like, Yo, I'm not run our Test anymore. I'm not that guy. I'm I'm all about this and you know I'm not saying it's stuck. I still think of him as run our Test but meta world peace. I I don't want to put you on the spot. But when we were kids, we collected a lot of baseball cards. Was Rock Range just a nickname or did Tim Rains flirt with the idea of, like, I'm like legally changing my name to rock Rains, Because I remember there was like two years where I was like, why is Tim Rains on all my baseball George Bell? A lot of them said George j O R like Jorge Bell and say g E R G. So you were confused Rock Rains. He was Tim rock Rains to me. So they just print his name is rock Rains to my knowledge on the baseball card. But you know, as a fan, you roll with it and realize another question because there were two stories even more reason we bring this up. There was two stories just in the past few days where celebrities that we know household names legally changed their name. So if I say, hey, Rich, who's Tara Lee Patrick? Do you know who that is?
Speaker 1: Isn't Tara Patrick a point star? Oh Tara Patrick? No, I don't know Tara pat Tarah Lee Patrick, Tarah Lee Patrick who better known as Bombshell.
Speaker 2: You had her poster US Spencer Gifts buying it. Carmen Electra officially legally changed her name to Carmen Electra just this.
Speaker 1: Week, And I did see he dropped the like Feeddelberg or Feldberg, Feldstein, Feldstein? Yeah close, Jonah Hill is now just Jonah Hill. He dropped to Feldstein. Is Jonah Hill now officially? Right? So these are celebrities.
Speaker 2: They become known as this, and they stick with it, and they roll with it to avoid confusion, and that's just how they identify. I get that look. I work with radio guys. You know, one of my best budds's name is Liquid Todd. Sometimes I forget his real name. He's Liquid Todd. And that's how they're known. But if it wasn't radio, if it wasn't sports, if it wasn't showbiz, and your buddy Hank is like, yeah, I don't go by Hank anymore I go by Henry. Are you making that adjustment? Are you saying not, dude, get out of here. Maybe your new coworkers can call you that.
Speaker 1: You're Hank. You're gonna always be Hank. I don't want to be a dick, but I have a hard time calling my friends like a new name. Listen, if then your brother pulled that on you, this culture, if it's cultural or religious, I get it. But like my brother, my brother's Jimmy jim when his other people call him James, I'm like, that's you're not James.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he could pull that with his new colleagues as a professions.
Speaker 1: He's Jimbo. He's Jimmy, little Jimmy. Remember when Debbie Gibson was like call me Deborah or Ricky Schroeder is like I'm Rick now, yeah, no, stop it.
Speaker 2: I think if they're your core friends, your core circle, your core relatives, right, Like I had a relative he was Jack Jack, but then he got two point He's like, no, I want to be John.
Speaker 1: Now, Like, dude, you're Jack. You could be John to anyone you meet. Moving forward, Well, well, Jack, with that said, as we say, farewell from now on, I like to be called re Cardado, Davis and chulito. But you know what my grandma used to call me that no one else does, and I feel like I want to keep it alive. I will keep your wild Card. I demand it Super Wildcard Weekend alive. And by the way, who has a weaker beard? Me or Jonah Hill? On that picture? Spots you showed fucking you real quick? You throw one more time up there, Rich?
Speaker 2: Okay, right, well, let us know at Covino and Rich hashtag over promised.
Speaker 1: We'll see you guys next time.
Speaker 2: Until then, the baby see you in the over promised laying Yourebye.