Speaker 1: So I have a tradition with the kids basically for my birthday that every year on my actual birthday, we go to CPK.
Speaker 2: And which is for the uninitiated California.
Speaker 3: Cornia Pizza Kitchen.
Speaker 2: Or did they change the name? Is it like one of those things like it is? Is it like KFC now just KFC. They don't even call it.
Speaker 4: It's true, like they legally changed it.
Speaker 5: Dunkin Donuts. I think it's just it's just Duncan, d and d or Duncan.
Speaker 1: It's just Duncan, I know, right, Yeah, every everything's had to be modern and refreshed.
Speaker 4: I don't know, because they don't want to be known for just the one thing, because Duncan obviously became.
Speaker 2: More of a coffee spot than a donut spot.
Speaker 4: So really it's like Taco Bell should just be come bell to the bell, tacos.
Speaker 2: They got burritos.
Speaker 3: They think about it.
Speaker 1: Dunkin Donuts going to Duncan is actually really smart because especially like coffee is what you dunk your donuts, and so like Dunkin Donuts, Dunkin Yeah, it's perfect, but.
Speaker 4: They complete, Yeah, they had to rebrand because they weren't just a donuts place.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not positive about the CPK whether or not it still is known as California Pizza.
Speaker 2: Are they throughout the country or is that only in California.
Speaker 1: There are other places I don't know about it throughout the country, but they're not only in California.
Speaker 6: It might be like In and Out where there's a couple couple spots.
Speaker 4: Now, I think I've only been once with Fade with Fred Savage on a lunch break Savage because it was on lunch break, So it must have been when we were shooting that Everyone Loves Stewart episode when he was acting, or maybe it was when he was directed. But there's a group of us like I feel like you guys were probably there too, but we all went to CPK and I remember just being like, barbecue chicken pizza.
Speaker 2: Isn't that what they're known for us?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of the first things they became famous for was that barbecue chicken pizza is so good. So there are cpks in Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, and Illinois.
Speaker 4: Connecticut on the Yeah, So it's not just like a West Coast thing like In and Out.
Speaker 1: It's so keeps going Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey. Okay, so yeah, get go go to CPK anyway. I go to CPK and and there's I mean, this is not an ad.
Speaker 3: They don't sponsor us. We get obviously nothing should. But boy do I.
Speaker 2: Love barbecue chicken on pizza.
Speaker 3: I don't eat barbecue chicken.
Speaker 6: Picka from the guy who puts.
Speaker 2: They also put pizza.
Speaker 6: So your opinion matters not at all.
Speaker 2: You want candy on your pizza.
Speaker 6: It's degree. I'm a pro pine wrong, there's no debate. It's not even opinion thing.
Speaker 2: It's what makes pizza pizza.
Speaker 6: Pineapple is what makes pizza pizza.
Speaker 4: Because here's the thing, here's the thing, here's the you know what it does. If it's an average to bad pizza, it's better with pineapple, like like, it will be fine.
Speaker 2: Why not just I will not mind?
Speaker 6: Why not just Eminem's on your pizza or.
Speaker 2: Ras chocolate Milt. I agree, dude, it tastes like candy, but that's what makes it great. I don't know. I don't make the rules. I just enjoyed them.
Speaker 6: What did you do on your birthday.
Speaker 3: It's okay, I really love I really love fighting.
Speaker 2: Birthday's over. It's time to fight argue.
Speaker 1: About pineapple bezza. I do love pineapple on pizza. But I could go either way. I could go either way. I'm not like, I'm not willing to die on the hill of pineapple and pizza, but I do enjoy it.
Speaker 3: So listen to each their own.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like whether you put peanut butter on one half of your slice of bread or you know, it's just.
Speaker 2: Intolerant. I'm accepting of all pizza types. But will is.
Speaker 6: And there's wrong.
Speaker 1: Well, there was one thing I really wanted before CPK, and that was a nap. I had been out of town the weekend before my birthday. We had gone to Vegas for the Steve Rangala, and so, you know, we had some late nights and we drove, so I had Sunday. It was we didn't do the smart thing and get up super early and leave before traffic. We like left at the same time everyone leaves.
Speaker 6: Oh, so it took us.
Speaker 1: You know, we left at like eleven fifteen in the morning. We got home at five pm. Week you know, we thought I was tired from that and then I, you know, worked on Monday, and then Tuesday my birthday. I thought, all right, I got to do a podcast in the morning, and then I have a pitch meeting at three pm in the afternoon. I've got a long stretch from like eleven am to three What am I going to do?
Speaker 3: I want a nap.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that's what I did.
Speaker 6: On your side, you go dark room, walk me through it like run a date. What did you do?
Speaker 3: Here's how I did my nap. For my night's sleep and my sleep health.
Speaker 1: I am very big on making sure I have my pillow cube and my Manta sleep mask.
Speaker 3: Again, not adds.
Speaker 1: These are just things I love and I make sure I can't see a single drop of light. I don't do that for naps. I can't sleep without my pillow cube. That's the only pillow I use. But I feel like if I put the eyemask on for a nap, I'm not ever waking up.
Speaker 6: No, You're just going back to bed.
Speaker 1: I'm just going back to bed for another seven to eight hours. So I sleep with no eyemask during the day because I want the natural light to be like as soon as not my body's rested.
Speaker 3: I want to wake up right.
Speaker 6: You're in your bed, though you're not on a couch. Oh no, I don't copy that.
Speaker 3: I never sleep on the couch.
Speaker 6: That is for sitting only one.
Speaker 1: Jensen's not that way. Jensen loves to take a nap on the couch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll nap wherever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but on the couch is the same as the equivalent of pineapple on your pizza.
Speaker 6: I copy that.
Speaker 2: I just don't want my nap to last more than twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: So if I'm going to health that way you used to that, because I feel worse if I go like that hour.
Speaker 1: That is the problem with a good, solid, multi hour nap is that then you wake up and you have to like start all over again.
Speaker 3: You're like, oh my gosh, I need another cup of coffee. I'm super groggy. I'm a little cranky.
Speaker 1: But I was so tired yesterday I just decided I'm gonna I'm going to go with it, and so I did. I took a glorious nap, and then I woke up on my own accord. I responded to a bunch of happy birthday texts, I did my my other meeting that I had at three, and then we went and picked up the kids and went to CPK. I had something that writer will probably also not like. I had the Toastada pizza It's wonderful, which is thin, crispy crust, melted Monterey Jack, cheese, black beans, salsa, a pizza, taco salad, avocado.
Speaker 2: Okay with it's.
Speaker 5: Delicious, recognizably pizza that is that is tomato sauce.
Speaker 4: And it just happens to one thing you don't like on it. But this is a whole nother.
Speaker 5: Cheating it to a whole other realm at this point, so my brother Gary anymore, my oldest brother Gary, when he finished college, decided to buy a motorcycle out of nowhere, never ridden a motorcycle in his life, drive it all the way across country to California and get a job.
Speaker 6: And where did you get a job? CPK? And so when he left, he taught us how to make all the pizzas.
Speaker 5: So I still sue and I do barbecue chicken pizza night or one they don't have on the menu anymore, which is my favorite in the world is the b LT pizza.
Speaker 1: Oh, I used to love that one. Anything with avocado on it, I'm.
Speaker 6: In it's so good. So it's lettuce. Yeah, you do. You do the lettuce on the side, then you put it on top of the p I'm a big fan.
Speaker 5: It's dude, and you're gonna be like, wait, that's exactly what I'm talking about. One of my favorite things in the world is a combination of hot and cold at the same time.
Speaker 6: HAVE always loved it.
Speaker 5: So the cold lettuce on top of the nice hot slice of pizza with the bacon and the cheese.
Speaker 1: Also, I realized I just said anything with avocado, and you had said b lt. I have never eaten a b LT without adding avocado to me, Yeah, I caught a black l T a b LT A caught a blat, you can call it.
Speaker 6: It's so good in your mouth. Yeah, your mouth right there on the list. But did you did you dream during your nap? Were you like asleep again?
Speaker 1: I mean I was definitely asleep, and yes, I think I dreamt, but I don't remember what it is now, but I do think when I woke up, I was like, that was a weird dream.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was. It was pretty great.
Speaker 1: But then I have I told you that I topped the whole birthday experience off with something you just mentioned hot and cold at the same time.
Speaker 3: A warm buttercake.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, with French fine ice cream on top.
Speaker 2: So it's just like cake cake because I don't like cake. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's not like that. But it is like a pound cake.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not like frosting cake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, steak cake, like traditional birthday cake, which I can't stand.
Speaker 2: I can agree. Okay, we all go.
Speaker 5: Like a good pound cake, or like the buttercake, or an olive oil cake like the I think Mastros makes an incredible olive oil cake. And this place called Milo and Olive that makes a buttercake that is just out freaking standing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's delicious, but so it's.
Speaker 6: It's salivating over here, and I want to nap. I don't know which.
Speaker 5: I don't know which laziness to sensate at this point, I don't know if I should gorge myself or go back to sleep.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm now forty five, and.
Speaker 4: You woke up from the nap and you were forty five.
Speaker 2: She went to bed. It was still nineteen ninety three exactly. And now.
Speaker 1: Jensen and I then we're talking. We were walking through them all because you know that's where we went to CPK and and I said, he said, so do you feel forty five? And I said I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't really know why.
Speaker 1: And he was like, well, forty five's when I really started to feel bad.
Speaker 6: Hey, thanks, this isn't only forty six.
Speaker 2: He's my forty seven.
Speaker 3: He's going going to be forty seven. He's going to be forty seven this November.
Speaker 7: So he's yeah, you all believe in so forty forty one, forty two, you're in your early forties, forty three, forty four, forty No, Actually I think it's forty forty to forty three is early.
Speaker 3: Forty four or forty five. Five for forty six is mid forty.
Speaker 5: So you're still so forty forty forty forty still mid forties.
Speaker 4: I think I'm just laid for No. I think after forty I think it's just five plus.
Speaker 1: You'll be late forties this December. When you turn fifteen forty seven. You can start saying late forties if you want.
Speaker 6: I'm going to be early fifties.
Speaker 3: Well you're actually going to be fifty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yes, that's that's a different thing, just saying fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you're on that, you're on the milestone.
Speaker 6: Yeah you that, They're like, oh my god, you made it.
Speaker 2: I have a friend who was yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: But I have a friend who was like, because Alex, my wife turned fifty, and this friend I was saying, oh, we're going to celebrate a birthday, she was like, you know what, it's so much better the second you turn fifty. Then everybody comments about how great you look, whereas like when you're forty nine, it's like, yeah, oh you're just that age.
Speaker 2: When you turn fifty and everyone's shocked. Yeah, good for fifty.
Speaker 5: I get I'm getting to the point, like I'm not quite there, but I'm getting to the point where when I fall, people will be concerned as opposed to laughing.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like your window.
Speaker 6: But you fall forty, everyone's like, that's hysterical. You fall at fifteen, people are like, oh my god, you are. There's a big difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you need surgery?
Speaker 6: Are you all right? I heard a pop?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you get up for the record at forty five. Currently, where I stand right now, I feel better maybe than I ever have. I feel like great, good for you.
Speaker 6: I feel the same way. Actually, yeah, I feel the same way, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: Amazing physically or psychologically or all of the above.
Speaker 3: All of the above, okay, the host for you, I would agree.
Speaker 1: Even pysically, I feel really like, you know, are there things of course, like every now and then, do I get those little neck twinges where I'm like, oh.
Speaker 3: My neck's a little sore. Sure, but guess what. I had those occasionally in my twenties too.
Speaker 1: I had I had little things that pop up every now and then where you're like, huh, I guess I have uneven hips sometimes that does. That's not a thing that only happened to me with age. That's something I experienced at random times throughout any decade of my life. And I feel like I still have energy. I feel like I'm more in tune with what my body needs more than ever, which is like when yesterday I was like, you know, I am tired, I do have the time, I am going to take a nap, and it didn't affect my sleep last night, like I knew my body needed that, And then now I feel great. So I just where I didn't used to be that way, I didn't I wasn't necessary reading my body cues as a big.
Speaker 4: Part of this is you probably are in the best shape of your life thanks to Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 6: True super.
Speaker 2: For nine months at this point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, nine months of.
Speaker 2: Like pure physical, like exer. You've been doing really well.
Speaker 1: And it started slightly before Dancing with the Stars, because it started when I was going to start taking to moxifen and my doctor said, the best thing I can tell you is that the worst side effect you might deal with physically is that it causes joint It can cause joint pain and muscle aches, and the only real cure for it is consistent exercise. And so before I started to moxifen, I was like, that's it.
Speaker 3: I'm going to get into the gym and I'm going.
Speaker 1: To stay consistent with it because I want to stay on this medication for five years because it, you know, lowers my risk of recurrence by fifty percent. So I'm going to do everything I can to make that easy on myself. So it started really in January of twenty twenty five, you know, like I.
Speaker 5: Really was like, you can take coke ten too, because coke ten is also really good for joint because I'm not this is oh my god, Oh my.
Speaker 4: God, guys, we're talking about Can.
Speaker 2: We please like things? I always say.
Speaker 4: It's like, do we need three things? I say, travel? Do we talk to talk about?
Speaker 2: And then food? Yes? Yes, the medical story things.
Speaker 3: I say, we don't. So it's small right now.
Speaker 6: It's audience is grow.
Speaker 2: They need to know this stuff.
Speaker 4: Everyone knows we're old. They're also old. Let's please daniel took a nap. That's a great story. Please don't care about what coconut oil you're putting on your.
Speaker 2: Joint pain you kid, whatever it is, pineapple, you're going to be down.
Speaker 1: On the record.
Speaker 3: Writer hates supplements. So just so you guys know there, you know there are we have.
Speaker 2: We all have argument medicines.
Speaker 6: Yes, vitamins are not pseudo medicine.
Speaker 2: Geez, I didn't say vitamins supplements.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 2: I'm not a fan of pseudo science. Let's move on.
Speaker 4: We don't have to labor this. Boy, We've already had fifteen minutes of research chatter.
Speaker 2: Welcome, I'm right strong, I.
Speaker 6: Love mad old angry Rider.
Speaker 4: Birthday, birthday, Danielle Well, she took goddamn nap. Good for you, all right, welcome to red Weather recap. I'm not really sure why we're doing this. Are we doing this because hold on? Are we doing this because people have demanded it? Or have you guys just demanded this?
Speaker 1: I demanded it, Okay, Will demanded it. I want to talk about it. And also, we have had so many fans who have loved great the Red Weather and after I don't know how many times you said our regular pod meets World fans are going to hate this.
Speaker 3: But you've said at least you said it at least.
Speaker 1: Ten times while you were talking about the show, and we kept saying, no, I don't think I think you're wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I was.
Speaker 4: I was pleasantly surprised with how much crossover there was, and I think I I think I knew that there would be a certain contingent of our fans that would like it. But yes, the the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive and heart warming and awesome. And yeah, and I am so thankful for our listeners who have given it a chance.
Speaker 2: If you haven't given it a chance, you probably don't want to listen to this episode maybecause.
Speaker 4: We're probably going to be spoiling a lot of it just by recapping the episodes and talking about what happened. So if you haven't listened to The Red Weather, you like true crime, you like mysteries, you.
Speaker 2: Like me, give it a listen.
Speaker 6: At least at least the first two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at least the first couple of.
Speaker 5: You don't have to say, at least the first two. They've got to like, they've got to like mysteries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't really have to.
Speaker 6: Like to like writer.
Speaker 2: Oh that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Writer, Where where did this idea come from? Will you tell people about your love for true crime?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I yeah, I mean I love all things, all podcasts, you know, like I mean, that's part of the reason why I came up with the idea for Podmeats World was because I've been listening to podcasts since two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: You were eight.
Speaker 5: We've talked about this. You were the first time I think I'd ever heard the word podcast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like the first podcast that I really got into, which I think is part of why I was optimistic about Pod Meets World was it was called Skeptics Guide to the Universe, and it was you know, anti pseudoscience podcasts. But the whole idea was that it was a group of really smart scientists sitting around talking about medical facts and you know, diving into subjects. But really what you came to realize is it was not about what they were talking about. It was just about them hanging out, which is like, you know, I realized early on was like what I liked about podcasts and what I think most people like about podcasts, which has turned out to be the case, like most podcasts are you know, people just discussing a subject in general, and then you just kind of like that group of people, that group of friends. So anyway, so I've been listening to podcasts forever. This because the Red Weather specifically goes back to like, you know, loving this American life and Radio Lab and all those sort of you know, and then I really, of course, like everybody loved Cereal when that came out, and I feel like Cereals what, you know, launched podcasts into the mainstream, and it also you know, helped define the culture as a true crime culture. I mean, true crime is probably the number one subject of all podcasting, and I don't you know.
Speaker 6: And documentaries I think too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but specifically crime.
Speaker 5: No, that's what I'm saying, documentary crime, true crime for documentaries too.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think just true crime is a big fascination.
Speaker 2: Totally, totally, so yeah, So I've just always loved them. I've always you know, enjoyed them.
Speaker 4: And I also have tried a lot of fiction podcasts and not enjoyed them, mostly because you can tell when something is fake very quickly.
Speaker 2: You can tell when something has had fully added of the.
Speaker 4: Sound design, and when actors are recording separately in booths, even if they're great actors. There's so many great actors out there who do voiceover and who have done a lot of fiction podcasts.
Speaker 2: My ear just knows when it's fake.
Speaker 4: So I tap out, And I feel like a lot of people feel that way, And so I just had this.
Speaker 2: Idea of like, why don't what if I.
Speaker 4: You know, Blair Witchet and sort of get over the fictionality by actually making it as non fictional as possible in terms of like putting in real people stories from my real life, interviewing my real family and inserting those with actors and and you know, and helping the actors in terms of the writing, and also directing them to maintain this level of realism that I hasn't I hadn't really heard in a lot of you know, in any of the fiction podcasts I listened to.
Speaker 2: So that was my initial idea.
Speaker 4: And then I spent a long time writing and interviewing friends and compiling the material and it was just super fun.
Speaker 2: I mean it was a lot of work, but yeah.
Speaker 4: Like so the initial impetus was like, can I basically make a movie without having to raise money and you know, hire a film crew or whatever. I could just run around with microphones because it's really cheap. I didn't use any studio time, so nothing was done in studio. Everything was either recorded in where I'm recording this or out on location with my actors or with friends that I was interviewing. Yeah, and then the material itself in terms of the like a lot of the material was stuff that I had written versions of before. In other words, the opening episode, which begins with me receiving a letter from a girl who I grew up with who committed suicide to that is that is based on a true story, but it's also something I've written about since my twenties. I wrote it originally as a poem, then I wrote it as a short story, and so a lot of the material that ended up up in Red weather. I had already sort of written in short story form or other forms throughout the years.
Speaker 2: So I think that is partly why it's.
Speaker 4: Really well developed, in the sense that, you know, it has a lot of history behind it.
Speaker 2: Even the made up stuff has.
Speaker 4: A lot of history behind it because I've already mind this material. I already spent time with some of these characters, the fake characters.
Speaker 6: And yeah, so he grew up with a girl who ended up killing herself.
Speaker 4: No, that was actually one of my Yeah, the the idea of getting a letter from a somebody after they've committed suicide.
Speaker 2: That happened to one of my best friends. He's he is.
Speaker 4: Interviewed in the beginning, actually, so those quotes from him are actually about when he actually had this happen to him.
Speaker 2: So we were in our twenties when that happened to him.
Speaker 4: I didn't actually know her specifically, so I connected it with a girl that I did grow up with. Several girls that I grew up with, I you know, sort of made an amalgamation into this one character. But that particular story about the letter and the suicide was based on an experience that a friend of mine had, So again I was able to compile quotes from him about that experience, insert my own fictional quotes about that experience, and so it feels hopefully very real, and you know, like something that happened to me.
Speaker 5: Was great because where you grew up in the country is such a unique area and a vibe all of its own in the United States, and very much becomes a character of the show. Is just that Northern California vibe. Especially in the eighties and the nineties. Was this stuff with like having cults around you, or I mean, even if you don't want to call it that word, having groups around you or communes around you. I mean, is that something that was just kind of the norm when you were growing up.
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, one of my closest friends who I interview throughout as Orian did grow up on a failed commune, and I've been able to talk to him about it. But a lot of other kids that we went to school with were part of I think there were about two or three different groups, you know, yeah, I mean I would call them colts, I guess that, and a lot of them were related biologically because they had all you know, there was one guy with a lot of wives who had had children with all these So there was a lot of the kids that we went to school with where literally I was like their cousins, but they're also brother and.
Speaker 2: Sister, like you know, it's that kind of weird confusion.
Speaker 4: And the reality is we never asked anybody about it because we were trying to be respectful and like, it's only now that I'm like, what was going on with that family or what was you know. And then there would always be these parties that we would go to, not parties, but like if you if you went to a friend's house, like a kid from school or whatever, there would be times when you'd get there and it was clear that the adults were on drugs or that they're the adults were doing some kind of you know, there was like this like alternative hippie druggie vibe going on, and I remember being very uncomfortable, you know, like they'd be like naked adults in a hot tub and you'd be like, I, you know, I'm just gonna go home. Like I remember calling my home and asking to be take taken home several times. Yeah, So there was you know, there was that that it was around, you know, like that sort of and that's a big part of this show is I wanted to interrogate that that time period both you know, negatively, but also somewhat positively.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that that's kind of where it came out, is like.
Speaker 4: You know, I I find that that time somewhat or I find that that culture scary, you know.
Speaker 2: Like the idea of like, uh people.
Speaker 4: Living together or not having like the classic American nuclear family. But then I also think that a lot of like exposure to interesting ideas, and.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, I grew up in a very tolerant area.
Speaker 4: It was very gay friendly, It was very open minded in so many wonderful ways, and like for all the like fear mongering that I do on my own about red Weather, within Red Weather, Sebastopol is lovely and like most of the people I grew up with are super healthy, They're super down to earth. It's an amazing culture of like accepting, you know. So I sort of like take the most exploitative version of my hometown in a lot of ways, like the version of Sebastopol that I created for Red Weather is like much more closer to like Humboldt County, which was always a little edgier when I was growing up, Like if we I used to go backpacking up near like the Sinky on Wilderness and Lost Coast, and we'd go into those towns and that would be a different vibe. And the reason that that was a different vibe is because it was truly the heart of the marijuana industry, and it was so illegal, right, So you had a lot of these people that went up there, you know, in the sort of nineteen sixties seventies hippie moment.
Speaker 2: They like went up and bought lots of land.
Speaker 4: And was beautiful, and maybe they started communes or they just wanted to live off the land like my parents did. And then so what happened is that that culture, because they primarily were funded by weed, that culture got very libertarian and very like isolationist. And so what what started as a sort of you know hippie free love, flower child, you know, peace, love and happiness vibe quickly became a like paranoid you're going to protect her crops, And so culturally what you got was a much edgier sort of you know space.
Speaker 6: And I like that.
Speaker 4: I find that space terrifying but also fascinated for stories. So I you know, so the sebastaball that I've created for the Red Weather is sort of like a pushing it even further north in some ways.
Speaker 1: Did you always have the story set from the very beginning or was any part of it morphing in real time as you went about it.
Speaker 4: I pretty much had the story set, Like as far as the mystery, I knew what I wanted, I knew who I wanted it to have done it. I knew I had the resolution in mind, and then it was just a matter of getting there, and.
Speaker 2: So I wrote.
Speaker 4: In order to sell it to iHeart, I put together a fifteen minute demo which is basically the first fifteen minutes, and interviewed some friends about their experiences and compiled the real people with a couple of actors, made the fifteen minute demo and then out and then I wrote the first episode, which was you know, at that time, I was thinking like an hour long episode. It was a little longer first episode. And then I outlined the.
Speaker 2: Rest of the season. So I already had the outline for the season.
Speaker 4: But then I spent about once iHeart optioned the script and gave me the green light, I spent like over a year writing the scripts.
Speaker 1: We remember we were asking you to go to lunch and you would say, I cannot get I'm writing in my hotel room. And then Will and I got to traverse the country alone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I could walk the streets of random towns.
Speaker 3: So we remember how hard you worked on that script.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a lot and super fun and but very I would say, like indulgent, because it's.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, I'm sitting there thinking about my own life.
Speaker 4: I'm writing about real things, but then also trying to add in enough present tense mystery to keep it exciting. So it's a really interesting process. And like you know, and then you're asking, like when you asked about like what I discovered, there was a lot that was discovered in the process because I would start to go down a path story wise and suddenly realized some aspect. You know, like one of the big big turns near the end is that I did not interview any women that I grew up with, and like that ends up being a huge plot point. You know that my wife Alex points it out to me, and then you know, I recognize the sort of casual misogyny of the nineties and how that's carried over into my current situation, and that came from a real realization where I had already outlined several episodes. I'd already interviewed several friends, and I was like, I haven't interviewed any girls.
Speaker 2: And I was like, I'm going to lean into that.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna like, you know, I'm going to actually like make that a big story point because I thought that was fascinating. And when I was honest with myself, I was like, I was a little scared too, you know. I was scared to like interview ex girlfriends or friends ex girlfriends, or even if I could find them, even if I'm still in touch with them.
Speaker 2: I'm still in touch with a lot of the guys that I grew up with, you know, which.
Speaker 4: Is probably natural, but it fed into the themes of this story, which you know, I don't want to ruin anything, but ultimately, like, yeah, how.
Speaker 5: Much, now, how much of the dialogue was written and how much was kind of you and your actors just playing in the moment.
Speaker 4: It totally dependent actor to actor, So there are some actors who just I knew would never say anything as it was written, And so I did write. I wrote every line of dialogue interviews with real family and friends I wrote around so I knew that I would get like friends. Since the second episode begins with a story about my dad's childhood that I you know, he's told that story since we were kids, so I in the script, I wrote a version of it in my own words, but basically was like I was just going to exactly detail story where this is what happens, and I knew that would happen, and then I could comment on it appropriately.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But then there are some actors who I we would get together and they would do the dialogue as written, and then it would you know, and.
Speaker 2: This isn't a knock on some actor.
Speaker 4: Every actor is different, right, Like some actors can say word for word verbatim and make it sound so natural and human, and in fact, I would say with one of my actors who did that, whenever they tried to improvise, it was rank false, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like that?
Speaker 4: So that was the fault, and it's just like no, no, no, you need to do this as written.
Speaker 2: And then there are other actors.
Speaker 4: Who we just had to throughout the script because we'd be recording and I'd be like it's not working. They would know it's not working. We'd be like, let's try it again, and this time. Yeah. Maybe the most fun was my friend Chris Lemke, who I wrote the part of el Rick, who is the sort of cult leader.
Speaker 2: I came upon this idea.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, I could have el Rick's voice, because you know, there is a question of like who's alive from the case that I want to have in the present tense who's dead? And I was like, I want this guy to be mysterious, and you know, because to me it gets to the heart of like this whole question of was it a cult or was it a positive commune thing? And so I was like, oh, what if I found his lecture tapes? Like what if he had like a self help series? And this is based on like I definitely know people who've subscribed to like tapes where they get these like you know, especially back in the day, they would get these self help right. So I was like, that would be so cool, And what if you know, in order to get those tapes like I wrote it for like my friend Chris Lemke. Is this an incredible actor and I've known him forever and he's a very intense guy, and he's very smart, and I was like, Okay, I'm going to write a little bit, you know that I know will help the story. But then I'm also just going to give him like a tape recorder from the nineteen nineties and be like, hey, just record yourself and in character.
Speaker 2: And he he took it.
Speaker 4: And went away for I think it was like six weeks, and when I got back, he had filled four tapes of lectures for me, and I would say seventy five percent of what's in the episode is just him improvising in character lectures like he would talk, you know, he asked me like for some background information, and we would text throughout that.
Speaker 2: He would send me text and I was like.
Speaker 4: What about this, And so we were constantly in somewhat of communication. But for the most part he was recording by himself, walking through the woods. He went out into the desert. And so then when I got those tapes, he had one taper he's like, here's all the lines written as they are in the script. I delivered them and he's like, but then everything else was a little more improvisational or all over the place. And so I was able to go through those tapes just like writer the.
Speaker 2: Character and actually pulled the book. It's interesting party find the character. It was so cool. It was like, oh, I'm actually doing the thing.
Speaker 3: That's really fun.
Speaker 6: That's cool.
Speaker 2: So everything was different.
Speaker 6: It's it.
Speaker 5: But it also for the time period, it lends itself perfectly to finding a mixtape. You know, we would all get those, well not everybody, but you knew people that had those self help tapes. They'd come in the big plastic books that you'd open up. There'd be five tapes on one side, five tapes on the other. So it does the time of like the seventies, eighties, and nineties works perfectly for audio because you do you have there how many times did we record? I mean, you guys might be a little young for this, but my brothers and I when I was very young, would sit there on the on my brother's bed and take it into the radio with the tape recorder, waiting to press recording, play it.
Speaker 6: The same because you want to make sure you're getting everything. I mean, that was like part of our life. Yes, yes, so it was. Or or my friends and I I found old tapes where we made radio.
Speaker 5: Shows, and you know, it was just us having fun. That was our camcorder of the time. Yeah, yeah, so that it just were it really did work because the eye idea. It's not like, oh, this took place in you know, twenty thirty eight and in twenty twenty two he made a recording of himself, Like really, that doesn't mean but in nineteen eighty seven or whatever, of course.
Speaker 6: Exactly what you're going to do.
Speaker 4: It's just now, Yeah, that's why the mixtape, because I remember I made you know, we would make mixtapes for each other, and we would record clips from movies, yes, and we'd have like and then also talking to the microphone and like messages to each other.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so once.
Speaker 4: I knew that I was going to do an archival mixtape, that was super fun and like very easy in some ways.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: Just still have a CD that Shiloh made me no way from back in the day.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, that.
Speaker 5: Goes from like great outcast tribe called Quest and then there'll be a Reservoir Dogs clip and then you know, then there'll be you know, another great band and then so I mean still doing that on CD back in the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have CDs for my best friend. I have Danielle and Jamie's best Friend mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the best.
Speaker 6: It was such a way to tell somebody. It was the ultimate love letter.
Speaker 5: It's like I sat here and pick fifteen songs that make me feel I feel about you, like, oh my god, you're gonna love it. And so just it worked in Red Weather because it makes perfect sense that.
Speaker 1: You can can make Spotify playlists for not often. Yeah, one question I have because this is someone who's not an actor, but I know that it was a scripted moment. Your mom talking about the Facebook message and that she got.
Speaker 3: What did did you write something for her?
Speaker 1: Did you just say, pretend that we're talking about you getting a Facebook message from someone at home.
Speaker 4: I just gave her. Yeah, I just pretend I just called her up. And she's so good, I know.
Speaker 6: Do you guys ever, do.
Speaker 5: You ever wonder where you got your acting talent and then ask.
Speaker 6: You to do something.
Speaker 5: In your industry talent, your entertainment talent, because you're a hell of a host, and so it's one of those things where do you ever think like, I'm the first one my family to get it, and then you ask your parents to do something and you're like, oh, they can actually it's there.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, well that's the thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I realized like my my my mom is a genuine but both my parents are good actors, but my mom through this process, my mom, she commits one hundred percent yes.
Speaker 2: And it was so like there was a.
Speaker 4: Moment in the episode, the last episode, there's a whole scene with my parents and my brother and I had to you know, I didn't write it. I actually was like, I'm just gonna We're going to improvise this whole thing. And so I told my parents, was like, Okay, the Sheriff's department is to search the house. I'm showing up. I need you to react like this and here's what's happened. And so I described like what happened and they were like okay, okay, okay. And then I came in and we did two takes and it was so good and Shiloh and my parents were just improvising and like talking to me, and at one point Chilotte turned to me and he's like, this is just like when we were kids and we would be making home movies and because that's how we started, that's how we started acting. Is like we would just grab the VHS and we would make my parents be the bad guys and we were superheroes or whatever. And it was so funny that he pointed out, I'm like, oh my god, we're still doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: My parents are still helping out, and there's totally game to like play along.
Speaker 5: And I fully thought the Facebook message in the beginning, I thought that was a real thing with your mom, Like that was something that you're like, Okay, well this is real, and I get to incorporate that into the story because this was an actual thing that happened. It's amazing to hear the stuff where it's like, oh, real, not real, real.
Speaker 2: I know, I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Know this is a hard question, but I know if I don't ask it in this way, our listeners are going to be angry with me. What percentage would you say if you had to say all of the Red Weather is one hundred percent, what percentage of.
Speaker 3: It would you say is real?
Speaker 1: And that's including the fact that, of course there are a lot of people in it who are playing different characters, but are real people from your life count that is real?
Speaker 3: Those people are?
Speaker 2: You know, say that last part against.
Speaker 1: The people, the people who weren't actors, they were friends of yours or family members of yours who participated. Yes, even if that friend you changed their name.
Speaker 2: Right, I changed all their names, you can count.
Speaker 3: Them as being real not fake.
Speaker 4: I would say only ten percent is real when you're actually listening to like clips from people. Only ten percent, because even some of the people who are playing themselves at times I gave lines or an attention or had them improvise a scene with me. So I would say actual, like real time, this is a real conversation moment. Yeah, five to ten percent, but it sprinkled throughout. And of course those people are real people in my life, and I get them to do be a part of scenes and other times. So and then if you're asking how much of the information in other words, like the stories that we're telling, and how much of this is based on real people and a real night in my in my life where this happened, or a real relationship where this happened, I would say it's.
Speaker 2: Much higher like that.
Speaker 4: That is all based on real relationships, real friendship. So that's a trickier question, right, that's like you know, like did I go on a road trip with a girl and have this you know, like, and I'm going to leave that one a little more big because there's a lot of a lot of that is real and a lot of it is based on like it's an amalgamation of real people or real situations, and so I think the takeaway is that this is insanely honest.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Okay, So I have a question.
Speaker 5: Was there ever a time that you were either worried about or in fact did rankle some feathers with the story you were coming up with thinking that, like, you know, you said, there's some relationships that you really did touch on, things that really did happen. Was there ever a time where you're like, even if I change the names and everything, I don't think I can put this in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I still kind of feel that way.
Speaker 4: But nobody's ever complained to me the people that I interviewed, I felt bad at times when I'd be interviewing them and I'd be asking them to go towards some of the darker parts of our adolescents, like do you remember when this person was treated like this?
Speaker 2: You know, and do you remember the drugs?
Speaker 4: And actually it was like it was funny because people were people.
Speaker 2: It wasn't as dark.
Speaker 4: As it isn't the show so like, you know, I'm trying to like highlight.
Speaker 2: Like it wasn't that person weird? And didn't this?
Speaker 4: And they would be like, no, it's actually pretty fine and like they were totally healthy, and.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, yeah, but weren't they a little bit upset?
Speaker 4: You know, Like I was like, weird exactly, I was trying to like And so for those and a lot of some of a lot of those interviews I'd ended up using actually because they were frankly too boring, you know, like I interviewed people from my childhood, got material, but then ended up not using that many clips from them because it wasn't that that wasn't that dark er, you know, it wasn't good enough material. But yeah, I so I felt bad pushing those people a little bit towards like some stuff.
Speaker 2: That they maybe didn't want to talk about, you know.
Speaker 4: But no, in general, I still haven't heard from some people, and I'm that I'm curious about how they would feel because I definitely took parts of their life or their personality or aspects that I'm sure they would recognize themselves if they listened.
Speaker 2: But I'm not in touch with a lot of those people anyways.
Speaker 5: So did anyone say no, Did you reach out to anybody who was like, no, I don't want to I just don't want to be involved.
Speaker 6: No. Oh, well that's cool.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 6: That means something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: Well, let's do a quick episode breakdown. The very first episode is called The Pinky Swear, and it's where you really kind of set up that you had a friend named Anna Trainor who in nineteen ninety five, at the age of seventeen, she was drinking, she got into a heated fight with her boyfriend, and then she was last seen leaving the party when it got a little chaotic, and then a massive fire started at the collective.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Tender Hearts Collective.
Speaker 4: She was written raised with her sister, great, thank you, right, and then she disappeared. Her body was never found, no one has ever charged, and it's been.
Speaker 2: A cold case.
Speaker 4: And I'm deciding to take it up because I get a letter from her sister, who was my best friend growing up, and she then killed herself after sending me the letter. But in the letter, she lets me out of the Pinky Square, which is revealed in the course of the episode to be related to the fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Willow is the name of the sister, and she lets you out of this pact, and it's a pact that was made the night that Anna disappeared after the fire, and it involves details about the fire as what we.
Speaker 2: Were doing that night.
Speaker 4: So at this point I'm sort of taking up the helm of like I'm going to be a podcaster and do this thing. And then of course I go to the complete wrong police station, so I immediately start messing up the investigation podcasters.
Speaker 6: It also comes out that you are not Lily snow White in this either.
Speaker 5: You lied to the police, yes, which is not a small.
Speaker 2: Thing, all right.
Speaker 4: But the end of the episode spoiler alert is that I I always thought that we started the fire accidentally, and it turns out that Willow intentionally started the fire that we made the pinkieswear about.
Speaker 2: So that's the twist at the end of episode one.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you are now going to share the things that you know with the police in hopes of reopening the cold case of Anna's missing person.
Speaker 6: And then we get.
Speaker 1: Into episode two, which is called Tom Shannigan's which I love, Thank you, I love Tom Shannigan's and writer reveals that they had put together a Halloween themed plan to lure Mick into the woods. Mick was the boyfriend, yeah, Anna's boyfriend's boyfriend.
Speaker 5: Possibly if you boyfriend, yeah.
Speaker 1: And it appears as though it's a there's a sex tape.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's like basically that Mick was as far as Willow was enlisting us to help her sister Anna.
Speaker 2: Because Mick had a sex tape that he was verage revenge porning, right years before revenge.
Speaker 6: Porn was even a phrase.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so we had this weird plan to get him out there, and all help sort of breaks.
Speaker 5: Loose because you want to you want to distract him, to search his car essentially right, to get the tape back right right?
Speaker 1: Yes, And then in that moment of panic, that's what makes Willow set fire to a she.
Speaker 4: Discovers a barn full of marijuana, which is why she started the fire in the first place, which of course.
Speaker 2: Now opens up a whole nother such a waste.
Speaker 4: Like but now that we know that there was a barn full of marijuana on the Tender Hearts property, that opens up this whole other motivation about the Tender Hearts and like, was Anna involved in some sort of drug dealing operation.
Speaker 2: And at this.
Speaker 4: Point in the present tense, I am coming clean to the sheriff who was in charge of the case, Sheriff Maldonado, and he once I tell him what was happening, he immediately is like, well, you need to go to the actual sheriff and tell her that you're the current sheriff.
Speaker 2: Tell her that you lied about this.
Speaker 4: So the end of the episode is me finally deciding to do that and to come clean so we can find find out what was actually going on.
Speaker 3: Who played Sheriff Maldonado.
Speaker 2: John Quertas. He's gonna be incredible. So John is one of those guys.
Speaker 4: I am so lucky to be friends with him because I put him in everything I write, and he's you know, he's just a TV legend. So we all probably met him back in the day.
Speaker 2: He was dating one of the Nobody's Angels singers.
Speaker 4: Yeah I'm blanking on her name, but we talked about when she was on the show. When they were on the show on our podcast. He was like, oh my god, you know I met you on the set of Boy Met So he came to the set of Boy Means World because he was a kid actor back then. Actually he wasn't a kid. He was slightly older, so he was because he had already he had been in the First Golf War, come back and then become an actor. But he Yeah, but he was on Sabrina. He was on Sabrina in the later years of Sabrina, he was on that. He was also in I believe Clueless was the show. He was on the Clueless TV show. So he was around us. But really I became friends with him when I guest starred on Castle in the early aughts, and he was a regular in Castle, and then he rolled right into This Is Us. That was like he finished Castle and he was like, I'm going to take a break for a while, but I'm going to do this other show.
Speaker 2: It's called This Is Us. And I was like, okay, And he ended up on that for seventy thirty two years. Yeah, whatever, it was like the biggest show in the country. I was like, he was like, it's just a pilot.
Speaker 4: I'm just a guest start and I ended up being one of the main cast for so long. So yeah, he's been incredibly fortunate as an actor and so talented. And what I love about John is like he is just he's an actor's actor, Like he will show up for any thing just to do it.
Speaker 2: Like he just loves acting. He loves performing.
Speaker 4: He's also a director now he's directing a bunch of television. But he's just like he's he's just such a good friend and he's always willing to like show. And I did that music video in twenty twenty one and he he was shooting at the time. He was still shooting this is Us, I believe, and it was all it was during COVID, so it was like really and he got himself up to the woods like he was still doing all this this is Us makeup. So he's like his hours were insane. He had to do like three hours of makeup every day he was on that show.
Speaker 2: And like he flew himself up to shoot.
Speaker 4: A music video on like his two days off and like running around the woods with me.
Speaker 2: He's just such a good friend and he's so committed. I love working with him.
Speaker 4: So I always knew that he would be my sheriff and like my sort of you know, my my police guide throughout this whole experience.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was great, but I called you like halfway through the series to talk about who the person who I thought was the real standout, and she played the reporter. Can you talk a little bit about her because she's so good. I mean I literally stopped in an episode and I called you, I'm.
Speaker 6: Like, who is this?
Speaker 3: She's amazing?
Speaker 2: So that is Linisa Frederick.
Speaker 4: She and I am just so lucky to have found her because I I hired a producer named tes Bartholomew who has done a lot of scripted stuff and had a lot more experience in the podcast world. And luckily, Tess is not only an incredible producer, she's also an actor herself, and she knows a lot of actors and she has like you know, so I would say there were like four or five roles that were cast entirely because of Tess, and Linissa was one of the first people she brought up, and I I, you know, she she had a couple options for for the character of Monica that she sent me, and I was listening to the reels or watching the reels and listening to the work they've done.
Speaker 2: And the thing that for Linisa.
Speaker 4: I looked at I looked her up and she actually has a podcast that she hosts about cults because she grew up in a very religious cult situation. And so she has a whole podcast about black people who grew up in colts. Like that's her whole angle because she's like, there's so many documentaries and information out there about.
Speaker 2: Colts, but they tend to focus on white people.
Speaker 4: And so her whole angle was like, there's a lot of black folks who also grew up in strange situations that you know that doesn't do not get that much attention. So she and so she hosts this podcast. And when I listened to that, and I just listened to the you know, her talking and being herself and hosting, I was like, Oh, she's going to get this. She's going to get the tone, do you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Because the tricky part is I didn't want too many voiceover actors who, as good as they are, put on voices, you know, they do a thing which is part of the job, bring energy to their voice. And when I saw that she could do that, and then we met a couple of times and talked and we did some reading together, and I was like, this woman is going.
Speaker 2: To kill it. And she did.
Speaker 4: And it's the toughest role because Monica's pure exposition. You know, she really is just like with me in so many of the scenes describing like well, Anna was here and then she went away. It's like a lot of just information sharing, and that can get so boring if you don't have the right energy level. But also, like I said, I didn't want it to be so, you know, I didn't want it to feel fake. So Linisa killed it and like, yeah she's and she's on Jury Duty and the new season of Jury Duty, which is an.
Speaker 2: All improvised show.
Speaker 4: So I also knew that she had the improv skills, you know, that she would be able to roll with whatever. And so a lot of our scenes and it's so funny because a lot of our scenes were recorded over the phone or over zoom, so we're like in other rooms in my house, like you know, like she's separate and I'm like given directions between.
Speaker 2: But like it was really fun because yeah, it was, it was. It was a great experience to work with her really.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, then we have episode three Tree Time. The whole Tree Time concept reframes everything because time perception scaled to redwoods makes human life feel tiny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's basically the only written part of Elrick that was left.
Speaker 2: I came up with the whole tree Time.
Speaker 4: Belots, and it turns out there really is a concept called tree Time. I've had friends send me like essays that there there really is this whole theory. But I just, you know, I just wanted to come up with a philosophy for Elrick that you know this this is by far my favorite episode of the show, and I feel like this is the one that when I had written this one, I was like, Okay, it's it's all coming together. Because I knew I would start the show with a sort of you know, oh, it's going to be about a cult next door, and that be something that would draw the listeners in and hint at like a dark underbelly, and I always knew I wanted to subvert that and really, you know, make it clear that a lot of these commune situations were not as crazy and creepy as you know, probably think in our imagination. And so yeah, this is where I came up with the idea that el Rick would have his lecture tapes and I would be able to sort of, you know, piece through those. I also had the great Adam Bush, an incredible actor play the part of Howard, which is like a researcher who I tracked down who researches communes, and that is based on a real guy. I have like three books that I've read because there's you know, there are historians out there who specialize in just in alternative communities. So I've read a couple of books about you know, written by one person, and so I created a fictional version of that person and had Adam come and play with me for a day. And he's a great actor. I've worked with a bunch before too, and yeah, so this is diving into the whole tender hearts commune for this episode and discovering that really and you know, this is the funny part about like outlining a mystery podcast is like nothing changes in this episode as far as the mystery costs, Like what you realize. I actually up until episode three writer as an investigator discovers nothing new. So it's like, you know, and that was the hard part about outlining, is like writing a present tense mystery and the facts of the past and realizing that, like really, true crime is super manipulative in this way because often they know everything by the time they go to record, but then they lay it out and like give you a little breadcrumbs, so you have to keep coming back for the.
Speaker 2: Next episode, do you know what I'm saying? So like it's pretty manipulatn.
Speaker 1: I would like to go back and say writer did not know that the fire was started, that she that the fire was started because of the marriage, Like there is you do discover some things.
Speaker 4: But I don't discover I don't break any new ground in the case until episode.
Speaker 3: Right, okay in the case, yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I go to Sheriff Maaldonado and he's like, yeah, we knew about the marijuana.
Speaker 2: We knew about the fire.
Speaker 4: I know who started it, but we knew you know, we knew you were out there. So really it's not until episode four that any new information about the case itself comes to light.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but there's an interesting way that you did it, because it's almost like, I mean, at the end, it works out the way that it's supposed to work out.
Speaker 6: But it's almost like a little bit of a.
Speaker 5: Few to true crime podcasters who are like this, I'm better than detectives.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know that was always my intention.
Speaker 5: I can figure this out because I did research on the Internet, and it's like, Okay, these guys have found the case.
Speaker 1: Research always means google searches exactly.
Speaker 4: I find there are some true crime podcasts that I am intentionally mirroring that I I've made me very uncomfortable. Like there was a period I would say, like post serial, like around twenty fifteen through twenty twenty, there was a big boom in true crime podcasting and you'd have a lot of these sort of white night guys coming in and being like, I know nothing about this case, but I'm going to make it all about me solving it. And I really wanted to, you know, present writer as one of those kinds of guys and have that undermine throughout, you know, throughout the whole series. Yeah, because I find it icky, you know, exploitative, Like there's something really exploitative about a lot of true crime out there, and I wanted to China, you know, a spotlight on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely where it's like there are other people there that are literally characters, going like you're an actor and a podcaster exactly, that's.
Speaker 2: What you do. Stayed in your lane, dude, and so true.
Speaker 4: I will say that like walking into the police station even though that's seen as stage that is based on a true thing too, like walking into the wrong jurisdiction to report a crime actually happened.
Speaker 2: So I I'm here to report a crime.
Speaker 6: Sure, this is the fire department.
Speaker 2: Exactly as it happens the Masa police station.
Speaker 4: Turns out Sonoma County, it's actually West County.
Speaker 2: It's the Sheriff's department thing.
Speaker 4: So that was a real yeah, So like, yeah, there was, And I wanted to use all of that.
Speaker 2: I wanted to put it in there.
Speaker 4: Because I think it's Yeah, I don't know, I think I definitely like the worst writers as a podcaster. I knew that the better the story would be, right, So yeah, I made sure that I.
Speaker 2: Do not do not come off that great.
Speaker 5: Well you're not the White Night. That's that's the whole point is exactly, You're You're not that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Interrogation Tree scripts exposed Maldonado for not telling the full story and reveals that Elric initially lied. So it opens up some new motives, some new potential baddies.
Speaker 4: Yes, turns on and now I'm starting to turn on the cops. So episode four is called Swamplvania, and this is really Yeah. Now it's now it's much more in the present tense. And there's sort of two leads where I am going into questioning Maldonado and confronting him about his language in the transcripts and his potential bigotry or you know, his biases, going into the investigation you know, and uh, and then also sourcing this drug dealer, a local drug dealer named Sparks, and tracking him down and interviewing him about Maldonado's potential corruption as a as a sheriff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and one of the reasons Mick may have been protected having did you with money.
Speaker 6: Money campaign donations. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always knew I wanted to, you know, because the actual.
Speaker 4: Evolution of of northern California, you know, from like alternative hippie uh into sort of isolationist, paranoid libertarian drug area into tech like in California is like, actually so many people went to tech, and so I wanted to create, you know, a sort of tech bro character.
Speaker 2: And I always knew that Mick would end up being being.
Speaker 4: I love that, Yeah, based on based on some of real you know, a couple of real people that we knew growing up who who did end up having a lot of money and doing well in tech.
Speaker 1: I also loved that in this episode, uh one of the themes, and it's a it's a quiet theme, it's an underlying theme. But where uh you know you're not supposed to photograph the evidence? You come across, yes, and Maldonado lets you. He encourages you to whin the sheriff is not present, and it ends up. Of course it's super helpful, and your first thought is what a nice guy, and then you go, but if he's willing to do that for me, does that mean that he's what? He's obviously unethical even though it's helpful to me. So I love that opening up the theme of why are we so okay with the unethical behavior?
Speaker 3: Winning?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 4: Total, But then this is also an episode with a very special guest appearances my friends.
Speaker 6: I'm driving to my car by myself. I like, at least he didn't use anybody from mother.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So this is where I go to the current Sheriff's office, and the liaison that I've been given is.
Speaker 3: Big Boy meets World Fans.
Speaker 2: Is a Big Boys World fan.
Speaker 3: More importantly, a Big Topanga fan.
Speaker 4: So in order to distract him, so I can, you know, get some some photographs I used.
Speaker 2: Danielle Fischels.
Speaker 1: You were very smart to not ask us to do anything because the whole point of this is obviously that it is real and that it feels real, and I would it would take us out of it. The only reason I was able to do it is because I was playing me.
Speaker 3: Saying hello on a FaceTime to a fan.
Speaker 2: So it worked out.
Speaker 3: It wasn't even really you couldn't.
Speaker 6: You couldn't.
Speaker 5: You couldn't combine the worlds in a way that wouldn't take you out of the entire thing exact and the way that you did mention for me to world about the guy's a fan and he's essentially like Sean. We dealt with people like that, where it's like you get you will get like a little bonus of something, and it comes at the most random times too, where it's like I'm giving.
Speaker 6: You this extra Carvel ice cream because I'm and you're like, okay, thanks. So it does it happens?
Speaker 2: John, I wanted to play with that reality. I don't, I mean, it does.
Speaker 5: It happens just like that when you least to expect that the extra bag of peanuts on a plane or something like that.
Speaker 6: It just always happens that.
Speaker 4: In this case, it was my friend Travis Schultz, who's a great actor. He was on Scrubs and we go way back. He and my wife have been friends since before I met my wife, and so I I got him to come play this part. He's never seen a single episode of Boy. He was so great because I kind of wrote it thinking it would be more sort of like a goofy gregarious, like overly gregarious guy, like the guy was like. Instead, he came in and played it so like creepy and intense.
Speaker 2: He's like, tell me we're about to pang out. Just go with that, you know, like and he.
Speaker 4: Like it was so fun because you know, working with these actors, we're just micing. We're micing ourselves up with like loob mics and then we have a boom mic. There's no cameras, but of course we're actually looking at each other, haven't And so like his like intense, Like he physically was like so creepy too, and everything just like getting a little too close and staring a little.
Speaker 5: Changed with him because the character is like the fanboy eventually stops and he becomes cop again and then almost doesn't like you, and then it's there, zactly it's a great kind of and then when you then go back and try to use it again, almost like hey is off the script.
Speaker 2: Ye, it's like this is not gonna work.
Speaker 6: Yeah is great. It's so creepy and it's really worked really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then episode five mix tape, we hear Anna's Haunted tape.
Speaker 3: For the very first time.
Speaker 1: Which really gives us a first deep glimpse into who she is as a person. We find out some of her music taste, her reading preferences, and even a glimpse into her drive through order at McDonald's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this was fun.
Speaker 4: This was another actress that I did not know because I immediately had written this episode and then realized, like, I don't know any teenage actors.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then this is she's not a teenager. This is Rachel Marsh.
Speaker 4: She's a great actress, mostly known for comedy, but she has a very young sounding voice. And tess As had worked with her before and was like, you got to meet with Rachel, and I did and it was great. And she recorded with a little mini like radio shack tape recorder at my house. We did a little bit together, and then I just let her take the tape recorder and go off and record herself through a drive through and all that stuff, and so again, you know, I was sort of piecing together documentary style real clips and trying to insert them, you know, after the fact, and figure out how to like read you know, Anna's tape super fun.
Speaker 1: Did you at any point think about changing mix name after you realize mix tape was going to sound like mixed mixtape.
Speaker 4: No, that became, that became it's it's a complete, it's purposeful, it's a red heron because of course, it turns out that the tape is not to Mick. So by titling the episode mix tape, I really want, you know, driving the audience away from from from the truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right great, and then you go back home to your family after being away for three full weeks.
Speaker 3: This was another aspect of the podcast.
Speaker 1: I loved hearing what feels like very real family dynamics.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yes, tense dynamics with that at times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. We had people like checking in on me and Alex listening. They were like, are you guys O caring?
Speaker 4: She's like I'm an actress living exactly, oh man, But I know, we we did a lot of improvacy. We actually recorded almost everything with Alex and Indy in the same day. Actually, no, Indy was separate. Indy was during an actual audition that he had. We we did, so that is a real he was really auditioning. And then we had a conversation that you know, was somewhat scripted, but I kept, you know, working with him and just talking through it.
Speaker 2: And he's so good in it. I love how like so good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, I know with Alex, we recorded everything for us pretty much in one day, and it was super fun because I had a friend visiting who plays.
Speaker 2: Heidi Soulsman, who ends up playing Anna's mom. I wrote that part for her.
Speaker 4: She was staying with us, so she came and stay with us, and then we spent the whole day with Alex and me like improvising all of our fight stuff and all those scenes, and Heidi was like, oh my god, this is like a Cassavetti's set here.
Speaker 2: We kept, you know, it was super fun.
Speaker 4: Alex and I, obviously we've worked together forever and we know each other very well. We give each other creative feedback all the time, so it was super fun to work with her.
Speaker 5: Well, the thing that really struck me, especially with this episode and the family dynamic, is when you listen to Indye, you realize that when this whole thing takes place, he's not that much younger than you were supposed to be when all these events happened. Oh right, So it's like when you hear how young he sounds, You're like, dude, he's like two or three years away from this happening and he sounds like a little little kid.
Speaker 6: Yea.
Speaker 5: So it's kind of that That was really striking to me because it's like, oh my god, he's gonna think of the problems that rider writer quote had and his friend had.
Speaker 6: A year or two later, compared to hearing this little kid.
Speaker 2: It was I never thought strange.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was really strange.
Speaker 1: In episode six to Live in Park in.
Speaker 3: La, we get the Indie cameo and he tells.
Speaker 1: Writer that he needs to help his old friend and crack this case. He really encourages you to take this on, uh, and then you hear from mixed lawyers yep, who reach out to you and send you a cease and desist yeah, and you are then locked out of knowing any further details about the case from the Sonoma County Sheriff uh and Operation Van Gobea.
Speaker 4: And that is when I put it all together that I'm assuming it Mick that the tape is too So I finally go confront him and he's willing to sit down and talk with me, and only to discover that it wasn't a tape to him, it was.
Speaker 2: To somebody else. Into episode seven.
Speaker 4: Loft Times, Yeah, so this is really about Anna's mom, Anna and Willow's mom. And I always knew that this was going to be sort of a centerpiece of the season, and this is, you know, this is really where I borrowed heavily from probably one of the greatest true crime podcasts out there, which is from the Canadian Broadcasting System or the CBC whatever that is Canadian Broadcasting channel. It's called Someone Knows Something, and it's an incredible podcast. It's like the best of the true crime in that it's it's it's less interested in solving the crime, even though it is often, you know, trying to solve the crime. The host is this very Canadian, wonderful guy who's been a filmmaker forever, and he just spends time with the people who involved with the case, and like he'll just spend like like there'll be whole episodes where it's just just you know, walking with him, walking the scene of the crime, with like the brother of the person who died, and just get a sense of that person's life now and how it feels, you know, thirty years to have gone by without knowing what happened to their.
Speaker 2: Sister or whatever.
Speaker 4: And so I always I was so inspired by the emotional, like the real human fallout of these cases, you know, which we don't you know, when you get into like the too much of the serialization where you're just like, who did it?
Speaker 2: Did get a sensation?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You forget that there's humans.
Speaker 4: So I always knew that I wanted this confrontation or this scene with Anna's mother to be, you know, a central part of the show. And I wrote it for my friend Heidi, who is an incredible actress.
Speaker 2: She's she does a lot of theater.
Speaker 4: She has been on l word It's probably the biggest thing that she's been on lately.
Speaker 2: But she's an.
Speaker 4: Actress, been around forever, and she's I just love her we've just been friends. Our sons are actually best friends, so I've known her since our kids started hanging out when they were like, uh, three or four. Anyway, So I wrote this part for her with her in mind, and it was great. You know, yeah, she's incredible.
Speaker 5: This was what I mean again, I could picture most of the series obviously very well in my head, but the scene where you're kind of on the porch shipping whiskey and you could tell she's just kind of broken and trying not to.
Speaker 6: Be broken and already a little bit drunk, and it.
Speaker 5: Was just I could see the whole like I could just visualize the whole scene really great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, that that that feeling. I think we've all been there where you're you've been so excited, you feel like there's going to be a conversation, a moment with someone that's gonna reveal things, and then you realize, oh, I'm not sure you're a reliable narrator.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, man.
Speaker 6: It was Roughen the best possible unfortunate exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it was super fun because this was based on I knew I was writing this part for Heidi, and I was able to you know, I actually have spent a lot of time sipping whiskey and talking with Heidi. So you know, obviously she doesn't have a daughter disappeared or anything, but I wrote with her like rhythms and.
Speaker 2: Her life and her voice in my head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it was so cool to you know, take parts of her real life, take you know, the sort of fictional character that I was creating, and like write for her and then have her calm and just nail it.
Speaker 2: I mean it was incredible.
Speaker 4: It was a whole day just the two of us, and we really were you know, we were on a porch in this house and a friend of mine was moving out of his place, so he had just a house full of boxes and crap, and I was like, this is perfect.
Speaker 2: So yeah, she's an incredible actress. So much fun.
Speaker 1: We also really discover some stuff about the missing case and who the tape might be too, and some very interesting.
Speaker 4: Hard throughout books to which I think something very of course, everyone.
Speaker 8: In the.
Speaker 3: Exactly I love it.
Speaker 1: And then we get to our final episode, episode eight, the end of the Imagination, and uh, there's some search warrants and all will be revealed in this episode, and this is the we talked about it a little bit at the beginning of this.
Speaker 3: Episode where you had your family and.
Speaker 1: You just did a whole scene that you improved about, you know.
Speaker 4: Shaff's office, searching my parents' house. And the fun part about this is that my parents nobody who was in it playing themselves, even when they were part of scenes, no one read the whole script. So for my parents it was such a trip to listen to this thing it was done. And for a lot of my friends too, they'd done interviews with me, but they hadn't heard it, and so then, you know, I would have these conversations with them. They're like, so you took a real memory, put it in right this face listening to it. Yeah, Because they were like, I would be listening, going, I remember the real story, but then I'm using my imagination to hear how I'm a part of the fake story.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, isn't that weird.
Speaker 4: So there's like a very small circle of like probably ten people for whom listening to Red Weather is a real trip.
Speaker 6: Yeah, totally different experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I really I don't want to I don't want to give it away, and so I'm not going to give it away. No more spoilers. We've given enough away here. But if you if you haven't heard it, I really encourage you to go take a listen. I was completely sucked in. It goes very very fast. The length of the episodes is truly perfect. There's no fat that needs to be cut from it.
Speaker 3: It is. It is truly a really special piece of work.
Speaker 6: And you made a drive to Vegas go by very quickly for soon like next one, next one, next one.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 6: It was great.
Speaker 1: Now, thank you guys, well, thank you for putting this out there and for all your hard work on it. So thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show.
Speaker 3: You can send us your emails.
Speaker 1: Pod meets World show at gmail dot com. And we've got merch.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 5: I'm Wilfredell, actor and podcaster, and I'm trying to find out who killed Anna Merch.
Speaker 2: Anna Art is a cool name.
Speaker 1: Pod meets Worldshow dot com writer, send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 4: Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong Executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarasubach producer, Maddie Moore engineer and Boy Meets World Superman Easton Out. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show, or email us at podmetsworldshowat gmail dot com.
Speaker 8: M