Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: I don't move back home with my parents. I don't get a cheaper apartment. I don't make any of the adjustments you have to make. When you do this like your primary source of income and you are now starting a fashion brand, I mean I did this in like the dumbest way possible.
Speaker 1: Busaio O Lupona spent her formative years in both Nigeria and small town Davis, California. She made it to the precipice of success with a lucrative career as a lawyer at an elite New York City law firm, and then left to start a fashion label in her thirties. Her label is absolutely titled busaio Not only is it her name, but in one of the many Nigerian dialects, Busaiyo means to add joy, and adding joy to a dreary law career was what first sparked Oloopona's entrepreneurial spirit to begin with creating homemade designs she could wear in a professional setting while utilizing the vibrant prints of her Nigerian youth. And this is her Clothing Labels mission to bridge the cultural gap between what business professionals can wear in states and the more bold designs of West Africa. Ol Loopona's story is about finding your joy and pursuing it at all costs. This is started from the bottom, hard earned success stories from people like us. Can you take me back to your very first day of school in Davis, California. It's your first day of middle school in the United States. Yeah, tell me everything.
Speaker 2: I remember. First of all, coming to America was like I was in a boarding school in Nigeria. I was miserable. So it was literally they being rescued like I. And you know, I had had this fantasy right of what America was like, and in some ways it had really up until then would really met up to it. I remember going to the my American grocery store for the first time and seeing all these different types of fruits and all these you know, fruits that are only read about in books and then see like strawberries, like seeing them in person. You know, there was just so many things that were like a delight, right, And so I remember it was Oliver Wendell Holmes's junior high school. I was starting the eighth grade and I was supposed to be starting ninth. Actually I had gone through school really fast, so I was quite young. I was only twelve years old and very young, yeah, super young, and in a new country, right. I remember I had my hair wrapped with so we have something in our culture called inrokiko, which is hair threaded, like your hair streaded. So my mom had done it for me, which is literally wrap your head in like thread and it s took a very popular style in Niger and throughout West Africa really, and I remember I was writing traditionally dyed hand eyed clothes and I just remember being so excited. And I don't think that the fissure and the cracks came that first day, but it's probably that first week right where like the response to me was just not what I dreamt of, you know. I thought I was gonna have friends and I was gonna just I was so excited to be in America, and it literally was like hellish. And I remember, I don't remember if it was that day or a few days later. I told my mom, like, take my hair out of this thing. I don't want to wear my hair like this anymore. The clothes, I was like, I needed new clothes, and so, of course all they could afford at the time was like closed from Salvation in the army. She did everything to make sure we were like, you know, dressed well and everything, like God, I'm gonna start crying justin you know, just because you know, we got here. And I was like, these clothes that we brought, I'm not gonna wear them. And of course they didn't have a ton of money. My dad was an assistant professor, and which people will assume that, oh, that means that you're making a really good living, but with four children, actually not, you know, he I think it was like thirty forty thousand dollars a year or something like that, and trying to feed like a family of sex and they're starting in a new country. They didn't have very much, and so she would buy these clothes for us from Salvation Army and I would just be like, no, I don't I don't want to wear these. You know, these are not like what the kids in school were wearing. So I did everything to try to mold in shape and become something that was acceptable to my peers, right, But it never really worked, you know, and was really socially isolated for a very long time.
Speaker 1: What was one that taunts you.
Speaker 2: Oh God, how you want me solving the film The Gods Must Be Crazy had just come out. So I would sit there and like kids would click in my ear, like, you know, because they speak souls loud, which I can pronounce. Most of us can't say that sound. The sound is aspiration in your in your throat essentially, Yeah, that's what people call it. But so people would literally click in my ear and like say, like, do you do you talk like this? Do you guys wear clothes? Do you live in trees? Spitballs? You know? I would have spitballs. I hope kids don't do it anymore, like literally make cover paper with spit, like blow it through like a pen at you. Oh god, my hair. At one point, it was like, you know, Medusa was the was the name. There was so much, you know, and at this point I start eating to kind of deal with it, right, So then I'm overweight and so there's that you know, challenge and that kind of torment. So there was a lot. I mean, I think at that time too, the narrative on the African continent was very poverty. People's perception of Africa was really it's not like now where I actually think that we've managed to complicate the narrative and like we as you know, both the Africans on the continent and living here are really telling a different story about the place that we come from. But at that time there was none of that. So it was literally like starving children from Athiopia, you know, that was basically it. Oh and then of course the animal narrative that this was a continent, it was just full of animals, and so there was just a lot of like do you have a pet monkey? Do you have that? It's just just stuff like now sounds ridiculous, but at that time was completely the norm was completely.
Speaker 1: No norm and the sort of thing that you know, what was to happen. As an adult, you could dismiss them in such a way to say, obviously, these people are like uninvolved a type of people. But as a kid, you.
Speaker 2: Take it all in. Oh my gosh, you take it all in. And I mean, there were so many good things about that. Being so awful as it was, I think I was so desperate to get the hell out of Davis right like. That was very clear to me, and it gave me a determination to get the hell out of there, which was a total blessing.
Speaker 1: Could your parents sympathize.
Speaker 2: I think, yes, and no. I think they were going through their own kind of immigration. Like immigration is actually more traumatic than I think most of us really, I don't even I didn't even start thinking about it till very recently, in like the language of trauma, right, And of course trauma is like a word that we now throw around quite a bit and freely, so I'm actually quite careful in how I use it. But I do think that there's actually a huge amount of loss that comes from I know, there's a huge amount of loss that comes from leaving your home and starting out in a new place. And they were kind of doing it for the second time. I was actually born here, but once my father finished grad school, like, we moved back to Nigeria. So they were coming back and they'd been here before, but they were going through their own challenges, and I think they were raising teenagers, and they had a lot of fear about out us losing our culture or kind of getting sucked into kind of I think there were things about America that scared them.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I would imagine and I don't come from a family of immigrants or you know, not any immigration that happened a long time back. But I imagine the dream for an immigrant parent would be take advantage of the financial opportunity and take refuge in your own home culture.
Speaker 2: You got it. That was That was exactly it, and that was the rule from day one for us. Was like in this house, this is Nigeria. Out there, do whatever you want, but in here, this is Nigeria.
Speaker 1: Your dad's a professor. So you might think perhaps maybe a little more, maybe it was a little more open minded than I'm expecting. But what was expected of you? What do you think they were hoping for your future?
Speaker 2: I think what you said was really right, like you actually described it so succinctly and perfectly, which is take advantage of the economic opportunity that's available in America. But in terms of your life path and your own personal values, you continue to be as Nigerian as possible, which is an impossible project, right, Like it is impossible, Like you know, and the life of a Nigerian woman's actually quite prescribed and defined, which is once you hit a certain age, you get married and you have kids and that's that's that, and you continue you replicate and in our culture, children are like children are your inheritance. Children are everything, and so for them it was like once you hit a certain age, you get married, like twenty five twenty six basically, and you have children. And I don't have children and I'm not married, and so those things for them, I think is challenging, right because I also made very different choices with my professional wife, But for a very long time, I kind of stayed on the path and the traditional path that you know, looked really good from the outside, that kind of really fit into what they wanted. But I think that this kind of personal piece is also really is really huge in our culture. It's a very the life of a woman is very very clear. Oh and I'm Nigerian, but specifically I'm Eurorobat, which is the tribe that I come from.
Speaker 1: What does a career look like? Then, if you're expected to be married with kids at twenty five, oh.
Speaker 2: You're expected to do all of that. Like my father, we had three girls and a boy. There was never any distinction between where we were expected to accomplish at all. Like it was like from day one you were expected to produce, you were expected to be a rock star, and that was the end of that. But simultaneously on top of that, for women, you're also expected to bring that same level of excellence to the home and be a homemaker and all of those things. So when we were growing up, professional achievement was a given. I think what was different about it or kind of what was on top of that was doctor, lawyer, architect, engineer, and that was basically it. Right, there's a reason you have so many Nigerian doctors. It's not because like they all wanted to be doctors, you know in America, Like there's so many. I mean, it's that's not it. Or an accountant, sorry I forgot accounting.
Speaker 1: Did any of those seem remotely appealing to you as a kid.
Speaker 2: I love the arts, I love theater. All the kids. The only kids that were nice to me were the theater kids, like the weirdo theater kids. And I say that with such love and affection. I proudly am one of them. And those were my friends. And that's what I wanted to just wanted to be an actor when I was younger, and my parents were like, well acting kidney, like what we did not come to America for you to be an actor, you know, And they had this thing that they always said like you must have a certificate, you know, like there's an idea that like a piece of paper that no one can take away from you.
Speaker 1: So that's like a diploma certificate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like not just a diploma, like you know, being a doctor, you have an actual professional certification. If you're a lawyer, you have a particular you know, if you're an engineer. You know, these kind of professions where somebody says you are skilled to do this.
Speaker 1: I have never heard of put that way. That is a great way of putting it.
Speaker 2: It's not a diploma.
Speaker 1: Children, you must have a certificate.
Speaker 2: Right, So no one can take your certificate from you. Right, So that really leaves like four or five professions with certificates. And so you know, my older sister is a doctor, I'm a lawyer. My little sister's a lawyer.
Speaker 1: How did you pick?
Speaker 2: I picked law because this was the time where people would say, if you don't know what to do, you can go to law school and you can do anything with it, which is not true. Like, if I could leave one lesson on this entire conversation, do not go to law school because you don't know what else to do, and you think you can do anything with a law degree, because.
Speaker 1: That is not true.
Speaker 2: If you have a law degree, you can be a lawyer. That's it. That was what I mean. I feel like it's changed a little bit, but late nineties, like early two thousands, it was like, oh, you know, if you're stilling worrying, you can you know, there's so much versatility with a law degree. You can do all sorts of things with it. No, it's not true. You can be a lawyer, that's it.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that was the sneaky way just to get your kids into well, if the law school.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, in law schools they have their own racket. That's a whole nother conversation. But yeah, I really believed it. I didn't know. Again, you have to realize I was twenty when I graduated from cayl Wow. So twenty yeah, because I started I was twelve years old in eighth grade. So I was twenty years old and you are sixteen. Yeah, I was a sixteen when I first Yeah, it was a terrible idea. Wow, should we say that we went to the same speek.
Speaker 1: We went we both were both Cowers.
Speaker 2: Both when we both go Barris, We both went same undergrad so that's why.
Speaker 1: But you you wind up after Berkeley, you end up at NYU Law School.
Speaker 2: Well, so there's a tension that's happening while I'm at cayl right, because I want a major in theater. I'm not that good and my parents are like no, so I minor in theater and then I.
Speaker 1: And major in business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I get into right, so the business program is like difficult to get into. I get into it and it's you don't turn it down, right, So.
Speaker 1: It's like best business schools in the country.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, So I'm like at HOSS and I'm like minory in theater and literally I might as well have been to people like walking up the hill to hass is like I'm being tortured. And then theater I'm like, loving my life. But but that bifurcation of the thing that your spirit and soul, the thing that makes you feel awake, versus the thing that is expected. And at this point I'm not it's not just my parents, it's also my own. I think I've also bought into the idea that you need a profession or a job that gives you stability and gives you an identity and I like the paycheck, right, Like you know, I like the paycheck. I'm I'm really independent. I wanted to be able to have my own kind of everything at a very young age. So I came to visit my sister, older sister who was at TULU, who's at NYU Medical School at the time, fell in love with the city, fell so hard for New York and was like, I'm moving here. I don't care how it's going to happen. And I went back to the ban and I was like, I got to get out of here. And this was when the if you don't know what to do and you're exploring and your law degree and is versatile, it was like, what's the answer, and why you law? That's the answer, and that's what I did.
Speaker 1: What was that experience?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: I love law school? I absolutely loved it.
Speaker 1: What did you love about it?
Speaker 2: The education itself is a different type of thinking. It's a different It's literally like learning a new language and a new way of communicating. You are being forced to, first of all, I think, just being analytical and ask really specific and new questions, to look at a situation a certain way, and then kind of consider all the different ways that you can look at a situation like such a situation. Also, the law school model is you know, you're with the same one hundred people in your class all day, kind of like going back to elementary school, where like you're not changing classes, you're literally with the same people for a whole year. So I just got to meet some of the best, most interesting people in my life and they're still in my life. I mean, that's the thing. The joke about LUSCH was it attracts all these people who don't know what else they want to do, so you end up meeting some really dope people. And like NYU was really fun, and like I think about, it, laid the groundwork for so much of what I'm doing now in so many ways, strange ways. So the study of law is actually fantastic. It's the practice of law that is not so fun.
Speaker 1: What were your first couple of jobs after?
Speaker 2: My first job was really long. It was a six year job. I was an associate at Clary Gottlieb. I'm not sure I should say their name, but is it a fancy white shoe law firm downtown? Very How should I say this? So when you graduate from certain law schools in this country. There's something that's kind of in some ways it's wonderful that they've really set up, which is like you graduate from law school and you go work for these corporate law firms and usually you owe a lot of money and they pay an insane amount of money and everybody kind of gets paid the same. Like you can google the salaries now, which I don't even know what they are, but at that time it was like one hundred and twenty five thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And you have a secretary, you have an annex card, you have cards that take you home every night. In these jobs, they come to the school to interview you. The firms come to the schools, especially like New York schools from the Boston schools. Yeah, and they take you out to all the fancy restaurants, the no Boos, the Boulets, the Danielle's, like free, they pay for everything. It's like a recruiting period. Right. You think you're eating free stuff. It's not free, because nothing in life is free.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: They're going to get it out of you later. And you also remember you owe. In my case, I owed money. I owed a lot of money, and so I owed from my undergrad and I owed from law school. So you now have these like shiny toys being given to you. It's a very hard thing to say no to, especially when you are that young. And again, I think New York City can be I love the city, but I think sometimes there's there's it can be very intoxicating. And I totally got intoxicated by like the yeah, the fanciness of everything, you know, Like why is that well, I mean think about it. You're twenty something, like I've never seen this kind of money before my life. And these trappings, you know, they're called golden handcuffs for a reason. Like these trappings feel, they appear nice. Right, I'm gonna have like my own office. I'm gonna have my own secretary. I'm gonna have an AMEX card, you know, and you know BlackBerry, all these things right that at that age, I think I confused for like adulthood or something. So I took the job at Cleary and it was phenomenal legal training. But again, when you are not in alignment, I don't care how much you dress up that pig with all the lipsticks, It's not gonna work. And the thing about law firms is you are there at eight years, you're gonna make partner or you're out. I mean, I was not any close to making partner.
Speaker 1: So do you think that's because the passion wasn't there.
Speaker 2: I think it's really impossible to be great at anything if you don't have some kind of innate, innate thing for it. I think it's actually impossible. It's literally rowing against the current innate desire for it, or any desire innate talent. I'm doing corporal or where you have to like mark up a three hundred page document. No, I don't have the talent for that. It's so boring. And that's just the fact. And I think this is part of what I'm saying, like you have to know yourself.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with more of my conversation with Busso or Lupona after the break. We're back with more of Busseo or Lupona. At this point in her story, she's burnt out in her lock career, but she loves fashion, so she thinks she could make it in the industry as a designer. She has money and an idea. How hard could it be? So we haven't talked yet about fashion. Did you care about fashion as a teenager, When did fashion into your life and in what way I cared.
Speaker 2: About fashion as a kid, because I always remember my first like deep fashion memory was my father coming back from South Korea and buying me a red dress that I become obsessed with, like I literally cannot stop wearing a stress and like that's my first like deep fashion memory. And also you're about culture. We're obsessed with clothes. We have a tradition in our culture called should I be, which means that when you're doing any kind of event, we pick up fabric right and everybody wears that fabric, and so you design your own version of that fabric because it identifies the relationship between you and the people doing the event. So there's always opportunities to kind of design because anytime you have an event coming, you have to like make up a new outfit. And the law firm really factors into fashion for me because I had the kind of strong call to start going back to Nigeria and like visiting my family and like reconnecting with my culture, like the early two thousands. I think the first time I go back is two thousand and two, and then starting two thousand and five, I start going every year. It becomes almost like a pilgrimage. I don't understand why, but every year I buy a ticket and I go. And starting in eight I started making clothes for myself, like things I wanted to wear back. So I'm at the law firm now I started clearing at two thousand and five. I'm at the firm, but I know that I want to start wearing clothes that are kind of at the intersection of both cultures.
Speaker 1: At the intersection of what's appropriate professionally exactly and.
Speaker 2: Culture and tradition exactly. And that's like actually a very specific thing.
Speaker 1: I don't even know that would exist, it.
Speaker 2: Did it, and so that's why I was going to make it, and so but I also knew in the beginning it was just that was literally the initial impetus was like I wanted to wear clothes that I could wear to a very traditional law firm. I mean, people would still stare, but like it wasn't so crazy, but like would fit in the law firm, but also kind of captured my culture and tradition. But at this point I'm wearing it around the office and there's some stuff that people are like, oh great, and then all this timeployee. You see like a double take, like what the fuck is she wearing?
Speaker 1: Were you ever like reprimanded?
Speaker 2: Any official clarity was no, it's not it's not that kind of place. It's very international law firm. And the clothes really marked me as being different. I mean that was very clear. And then I think that desire of like I need to show up a certain way was becoming like I could not ignore that anymore, Like it was becoming like overwhelming in many ways.
Speaker 1: And in a way it might have been a physical manifestation of your litteral inner feeling of I shouldn't be here. Yeah, no, I don't belong here.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there were other ways. I mean there were so many things that that marked me. So at this point we kind of sit down me in the firm and are like we need to go out separate ways. So it was like, oh, let's let's divorce in September like that kind of thing. So at this point I'm like, you know what, I'm just gonna go work on Pussia.
Speaker 1: How do you get the courage to do that? I mean you have loans?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the thing about remember I've made a crap ton of money for six years, so I had like a pretty nice nest egg, which was stupid in my In my mind, I thought, oh, this is great. I have enough money, I know, because I don't give up anything. I don't move back home with my parents, I don't get a cheaper apartment. I don't make any of the adjustments you have to make when you lose like your primary source of income and you are now starting a fashion brand. I mean I did this in like the dumbest way possible. I thought, Yeah, I thought the clothes were going to come out on the market and on the website, and I was just gonna make tons of sales. I mean I was already selling when I was at the firm doing pop ups. But I really felt like if I moved to do this full time, you know, I was going to get a lot of like big store accounts, and next thing, you know, I would be like able to live off of this brand.
Speaker 3: Where did that delusion come from? I was gonna call it assuredness self assuredness delusion, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, you're a lawyer and now you're quitting your job, and you're saying I'm going to end up in all these I.
Speaker 2: Think it's At first, I think it's not knowing, like not really understanding how challenging the fashion business really is. You have to know the business that you're entering, right, Like, if you're going to do what I did, should like have a deeper understanding of how the business works. Right. I didn't have that, right, Like, there's stuff that you can read from books, But like every business, anything you're pursuing, has its own language, has its own calendar, has its own scheduling, has its own way of people doing things in that space. So I immediately decide that I'm going to go to a trade show, and there's a huge trade show in Vegas. I'm resourceful, right, I'm on the computer clackety clock figuring out which trade shows are good for fashion. I buy a booth, right because I have all this money, And I buy a booth and put on my clothes, and again I'm thinking, I'm going to come back from that trade show and I'm going to have like fifty new stores and we're going to be in business. Go to Magic, which is that's the trade show in Vegas. Spend drag my best friend, We spend in hotels, we do everything. The booth is I think five thousand dollars, so you can do the Yeah, it's that expensive, you can do the math. And I come back with I think two or three store accounts.
Speaker 1: Now that that to me sounds like a success.
Speaker 2: I mean, we spent ten thousand dollars by the time I paid for the booth, our hotel, flying to Vegas, getting the close to Vegas. Uh, it was almost like seven or eight thousand dollars. And the orders are like two three thousand each maybe, so they're tiny stores. It's good in the sense that a couple places are like, oh, what you're doing is interesting. I remember getting a lot of questions and like and it's still something I battle against today. It's like, are these made by a collective? In Africa? It's like, no, we don't do collectives. You know, there's a lot of attachment to that idea of like a collective of women like so wingful, Like people have a thing about that, and I'm like, no, we don't think that this very charitable model, like oh, you're helping the women. Oh, And I'm like what, Like, no, we don't do that. I don't know anything about collectives. So I pay for magic right, Like in my brain this is going to be like, get me to where I need to go. I would walk into boutiques and be like, hey you, I'm a designer from Brooklyn and and you know, would love to sell you my collection. You don't do that. That's not how the business works. There's a schedule to these things. You can't just walk into somebody's store and say like, do you want to buy my stuff? So I just make so many mistakes. I still keep having my pop ups, which are like people are starting to respond to. So I would basically rent a space. I ended up for most of the life of the brand before things kind of blew up, renting a space on Avenue C and would literally set up my clothes, would take all my racks and all the clothes and set them up in the space and invite people to come for two days to come buy from us Avenue C and the Lower East Side. Literally, these guys, I forget how I found them. They just had an empty space and they would rent it out to different different businesses. So once I found them, I would do a pop up like three or four times a year. But I mean I blew through the savings very very quickly. So by twenty fifteen. I was broke.
Speaker 1: I had no money, and you started this thing.
Speaker 2: Twenty eleven late twenty eleven. Twenty twelve was like our official launch, So by twenty fifteen there was no money left.
Speaker 1: Welcome back with the rest of my conversation with Bussio O Lupona. After the break, after diving headfirst into the fashion world without doing the legwork to understand the industry, Bussio lost all her money. She had to find a way to sustain herself and to keep her business dreams alive.
Speaker 2: Went back to applying for jobs, legal jobs, which was really painful. Crazily, I ended up getting a job with New York City, like literally under the nick of time. I got a job as a lawyer for one of the agencies for the city. That was March of twenty fifteen. And the joke was we were in one office when I got the job, and then within like nine months we were moving to a new office, and the new office was in the same building as Clary Gottlieb as my law firm. Yeah, and I remember walking in to the same building and making a third of what I made before, No secretary, nothing, sitting in a tiny cubicle that is maybe half the space of this tiny room that you and I were sitting in bullpen where everyone's around you. And I remember the first day I cried because now I was like the brand wasn't doing well, I wasn't making any money, and now I had to go back to law.
Speaker 1: Back to where you started literally physically with the Wars office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with nothing, like I felt at the time, felt like I was like spiraling, like you know, And I remember that it was like walking in that day and then seeing the people, you know, because I left. I left the firm like I'm going to go launch my business and you know, the fanfare of that, and now I'm coming back and like now I'm like a worker bee, like really worker bee. And it was really painful. It was really painful for like a few weeks because I had to kind of make that mental shift like this is why we're here, and we have to like make a living and we have to like there's certain things that we have to do to get ourselves. And at this point, I'm thirty seven, thirty six, right, I don't own a home. There are things that I want for myself that I don't have. Yea, I have this business that's like fledgling and barely making it. So this is when I do think about the wisdom of my father, which is I have a certificate that I can use. So I was able to like dust that thing off and get another job. And then that was the beginning of what I think is like the kind of second phase of the business.
Speaker 1: How did you recover from that beyond being able to reset at this job? Like what did what did you do beyond being on the reset so that.
Speaker 2: That job is a lifeline, right, Like, and I think that, you know, when I was thinking about this conversation, we never know how our story is ending right or where it's going right. So in that moment, I, as I told you, as I entered that building, I was so devastated. I just like I'd lost something, you know. But it was all about what people were going to say, Like oh, if I run into someone and be like, oh, what are you doing here? You know, Like so much of my angst was about the outside appearance. And then twenty nineteen, I had like a major health challenge that would have bankrupted me if I had not had this job, right, if I had just been a working artist, like the bills were astronomical and if I didn't have this job, like, there's no way. And so for me, that job ended up saving my life. And then more than that, it gave me a little bit of peace of mind because I wasn't waking up every day like I've got to sell these dresses, I've got to sell these stresses. Like I could kind of be a little bit more relaxed about my work and my designs and think about what do I want to see in the world, and if I have a pop up, I wasn't like hysterical, like if nobody buys anything, I'm not going to be able to pay my rent. Like I didn't have that kind of energy which people can smell that this is counterintuitive.
Speaker 1: So it's sort of like not putting the entirety of your energy into your business, which you would think that's the move really allowed it the space that needed to grow yep in its own time.
Speaker 2: YEP. This government legal job was a normal nine to five, right. It was a very low stakes, low intensity environment. And so because of that, we actually have a lot of time outside for where the business was at at that time. It was actually the perfect thing and I could approach it now with love and compassion and passion. I was like doing this because I wanted to, not because I had to pay the bills. And that completely changed my relationship with the business and also gave me peace of mind. That was like the biggest, the biggest gift that I got from that job, and so I was able to use that time to really keep working on my baby, my business, and so it really freed me up. And then also the energy I brought to it was just totally different because now I didn't need it. I was doing it because I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Now that you have the sort of freedom, like what were the sort of successes that started to accumulate that allowed you to be where you're at now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there were a few things. Twenty thirteen, I'd seen a film Pariah Now my friend at a peros Ouduie start in the film, and something in my spirit just said, like reach out to her and message her and like say hi, and introduce the brand to her and see if you dress her for something. I didn't know her. I found her on Facebook at the time. I feel like now she would probably not respond. But at the time, you know, was before like social media was you know, very like it was still early twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, so.
Speaker 1: It's as curate, manicured ass.
Speaker 2: So I messaged at a Pero and I was like, hey, I saw your movie. I loved it. I would love to dress you for something. She's like, oh, thank you. Where are you. I'm like, I'm in Brooklyn. She's like, oh my god, I'm in Brooklyn. And I was like, well, do you want to come over? And she came over and tried on clothes and is still a dear friend of mine. And she ended up introducing the brand to so many of her friends who are other actors. So Lupizza ended up wearing us in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: Oh I you're using first names here.
Speaker 2: Lupita and Youngo. Yeah, but that was from but that was literally from I mean the way that that was from this just this a little tiny thought that was like, oh you should you know I saw this movie at a pero. Is your by like me from Nigeria? And something said message her and see if she would want to dress her.
Speaker 1: I think it goes to show how often these little gestures can actually pay off.
Speaker 2: Yep, they can pay off hugely. Yeah, big lely big The pay off bigley. They can pay off bigly because that message messaging her on Facebook is what led to She had done twelve years of slave with Lupita and introduced us, and then we ended up dressing Lupita for I think a press tour in twenty fifteen. Just like just a few pieces, you know, along the way, I find mentors. So one of my mentors a woman named Mercedes Gonzales, who really teaches me like, this is how the fashion business works, these are the things that you need to be doing at this time. I'd seen Mercedes speak when I went to Magic in Vegas and.
Speaker 1: The first one, yeah, the first one were you.
Speaker 2: Lost where I lost? I didn't make any money, And she kind of adopted me and she's just an amazing woman and kind of came back and and it really became her student and was just like, Okay, what do I do? And I always say she's really instrumental in the brand's success because even though I wasn't selling successfully every season, she was demanding a new collection. So like when you haven't sold last season's collection and someone is like, where's the new collection, You're kind of like, uh, excuse.
Speaker 1: Me, You're not feeling inspired to create, but.
Speaker 2: She is like, where's the new collection? Have you shot the collection? Like she was just really on top of because she mentors like a number of fashion designers, and she had really taken me under her wing and really demanded that I like show up to the marketplace every season, because if you don't have a new collection, you're not a fashion designer. Even though I was like, wait, nobody bought the last one, you know, Mercedes was like, where's the next collection? And she really was on top of that, you know. And then are you making calls to stores? Are you trying to sell it? And I cold calling? I was so bad at it because you think, okay, I'm I'm selling you something and I'm somehow intruding on you, you know, and my brain would just like couldn't, couldn't do it, you know. It was really struggling with like cold calls and all that stuff, which is what you have to do as a designer. You have to get in front of the people that you want to sell your clothes to. That's like really critical and I just was really struggling with that. I mean, I think fashion is interesting, like you can have a brand and you can do all the fashion shows you want, and you can have all the press you want, but if you're not selling, what's the point, you know? And I also really love Mercedes for that because she, you know, she says this thing that I think is really useful for fashion designers to hear, but for any business, which is are you trying to get rich or are you trying to get famous? And if you're trying to get famous, this is not the business for you, especially for fashion, because I think you can actually get it confused, like if you're getting all the press and you're getting all these things that somehow how like the business is successful, and if you are not actually selling, you don't have a business. You just don't, even with all the press, you know. So I'm always trying to like, I appreciate the press, it's fantastic, but that's like the most important part is like are you in the marketplace and are people buying the product?
Speaker 1: So if you need to ask yourself the question are you in this to be famous or are you in this to sell close to be rich? To be rich? Which we to be rich is how she puts it. Yeah, which which we can just distill down to like to sell clothes to actually sell the tab people enjoy the thing and buy the thing and spread through word of mouth or however right people wanting to go into buy your thing. Do you need to be in department stores to be rich as a designer.
Speaker 2: A lot of people disagree with the answer because many people will tell you like.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, you can be boutique.
Speaker 2: You can be boutique. But to be honest with you, my experience in terms of scaling, it would have been very very hard to do like a direct a consumer business and get to the point where we are at. It would have been very very difficult, even specialty boutiques. I think it would have just been really hard. I mean, for me, there was no path that I saw to being able to support the business and have it be like an independent successful brand without department stores. I just don't see it. You know. If I look at our numbers and like, who's our kind of biggest customers, it is our department stores. So it's really really difficult to kind of think about it without them.
Speaker 1: Like to end up there must feel really good. It does your stuff in this thing where you know, like even someone even if someone doesn't buy it, like people are seeing your stuff in masks as they go through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seeing the name, I didn't think that I would get any kick out of it, but it really did well. Two things give me a kick being able to see made in Nigeria on our clothes because Nigeria. First of all, I say always say that ourpr in America is terrible, even in Nigeria, Like there's kind of a bias to whards made in Nigeria. Things. People will make stuff in Nigeria and put like maid in China on it, or like made in Italy or made in like India.
Speaker 1: Like that that makes it better.
Speaker 2: That makes it better. And so for me, there's something really intentional and really powerful about made in Nigeria in a place like sax right or name in Marcus, Like, that's really important to me. That is probably probably number one. Actually, I'm just so incredibly proud of that. And also, you know, we as a country really were really challenged economically, right, so to be able to create a company that employs people in Nigeria produces in Nigeria feels really empowering and feels amazing.
Speaker 1: How did you end up in Sacks name and Marcus? Come on, this is that's an incredible fee.
Speaker 2: So I think it would not be fair, it wouldn't be an accurate telling to not bring up everything that happened with the murder of George Floyd and the impact that that had in a number of industries is like a critical part of the story, Like there's no way to tell the story without that, and it just wouldn't be truthful. And the fact that this man was slaughtered and you know, we all watched, and that's literally what opened up many doors. I'm not saying that's the only reason, but there was just a seismic change in what consumers were demanding from stores, especially these stores that you know posted the black squares, right, So when twenty twenty happened, and I think people were challenging these companies to say, hey, do better in terms of the product assortment, who you're offering to us, who you're employing. Right, They were asking these questions kind of a three sixty degree view at how people were kind of putting their money or not putting the money where their mouth is. I think it compelled companies to kind of do a lot of inward examination, and many didn't like what they saw, right, Like, we don't have any black brands on our shelves. So we're putting up a score, but our clothes don't represent this thing that we're saying that we care about. And so I think that compelled many companies to make a change. And so one of the buyers at Sacks, Kelsey, she came across the brand and she brought us to the other buyer who was also named Kelsey, and said, hey, we think this would be great, And they were the first to I think it was within but this is what I'm saying, was like within weeks, Like you know, we went from back.
Speaker 1: In weeks the Black Square.
Speaker 2: It was probably a month or two after that.
Speaker 1: Weeks, Yeah, it's weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But then Mercedes, remember she was prepared because she had been demanding a collection every season with photographs, So I was prepared. You know, what do they say about luck, right, Opportunity meets preparation.
Speaker 1: Being at a department store change good fortunes as a brand.
Speaker 2: Well, what happens is that once you're in one or two, then other I think people begin to look at you a little bit differently, and other stores start looking at you differently. So that's certainly changed. I mean, so that's definitely changed. I mean I was able to quit my job, finally quit your job.
Speaker 1: I mean that's you.
Speaker 2: That was everything that that was really.
Speaker 1: To be able to do that, you know, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: I feel very blessed, I really do. I feel profoundly blessed, and I think it's just one piece of a more Probably I feel like fashion is the doorway to like I come from a long line of teachers. Both my parents are teachers, my grandparents were teachers, so part of me really feels like that's probably my bigger calling, not necessarily like in a classroom, but using this opportunity. The storytelling piece of the brand is and really critical for me in terms of how do I tell stories that complicate the perception of Nigeria, the perception of Africa, the perception of Yuba culture, you know, things like our first and only video to ever go viral was a video from our twenty seventeen editorial shoot of our model getting her hair done the way my mom had done my hair, the hair style that I took to my first day at junior high. But there's a video of the model getting her hair done and getting wrapped with thread. So literally we shot it while we were shooting our editorial collection and posted on Instagram. I wake up the next day and I have like two thousand more followers. Then when I went to bed and my just like, something's happening on your Instagram and literally was that video. Shortly thereafter, someone at Vogue saw it and actually wrote an article about Bussio what about how this brand was like exploring traditional Nigerian hair styles through kind of documenting and telling the story. It was just about the hair, not really about the clothes. But I was like I'll take that. So I was like, we're in Vogue, you know, because you know my exploration of you're about culture and Nigerian traditions really in an attempt to situate the clothes, Like I don't want you to just like go and buy our clothes, Like I want you to understand the place from which this comes from. And so the storytelling piece is very compelling to me, Like I want you to I believe everyone can wear our clothes because I get that question a lot, but I want you to do a little more.
Speaker 1: Can be a white woman?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I get it all the time. I get it all the time, but I want you to do a little more work in terms of understand a little bit about the culture from which this comes, understand why clothes are really important in that cultural context. And so that's my job to take you there and to teach you a little bit more about this place. And so documenting our process, taking our customers along with us as we make these clothes from the place in which we make it is like a really critical piece of the brand. If it's our food, if it's particular specific places in Nigeria, if it's the actual making of the fabrics. You know, so so much of the dying process I will document, you know, I'm taking people along with me on that journey. Like so it's been really an amazing entry way. I thought it was going to just be about the close, but it's become about so much more than that.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. Your mentor asked whether you're in it to be famous or rich. Yeah, seems like you've created a Thurston lane which is also to teach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to teach and to have purpose, right, Like, cuse close all of this is we're all going to die, Like it's it's just closed at the end of the day, right, And I guess maybe I'm also at a point in my life where I'm really thinking about what it means to have like impact and what it means to have you know, what is it that people remember about their interactions with me, or with my brand or just in life. You know, what are the things that actually touch people. It's less about the actual physical thing, and it's much more about like did you teach someone, how did you make them feel? Did you inspire them? You know? And I don't have all the answers, but I certainly know that mentors made a huge, huge difference for me along the way. And I always hate listening to these types of conversations and just feel like I didn't get anything practical out of it, Like I got like just do it, you know. So that's why I'm like trying to drop as much resources as I can, because I really do think that it's really helpful for people to, you know, I want to listen to this conversation and be like, Okay, this is what I'm going to do next. You know, it's not that easy. And then the other thing is that the road was long for me.
Speaker 1: The road you didn't just go for your dream and that's the thing you did it. That's the thing. You didn't just go for your dream like you went some other ways.
Speaker 2: It was just long. It was long and secuitous. But I wouldn't change it. I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's it's cliche to say, but I wouldn't change anything for the journey. This whole journey has taught me. Like when you have that little voice that tells you to do something, do it, like, do it immediately. It's actually it's coming with its own power. It's like that's how universe life is trying to help you. Yeah, you know, And oftentimes we either have like numbed that voice that we don't hear it, or we hear it and we say, oh no, we can't. I can't really do that. Oh no, if I do, you know, we think about all the reasons not to do it, and I still do it now. But what I know is that every single time I've listened to that voice and done the thing that it's told me to do, my life has changed. Even if it's by a tiny degree, it's changed. And so many tiny degrees is where you get to where you want to go.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for sharing today, pussayo Olpona.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. Nice to meet you justin It was a wonderful conversation.
Speaker 1: That was Bussyo Olopona, owner of Busio n YC. I'd like to thank her for the time she took out of her busy schedu during New York Fashion Week to share her story to bring joy. The Yoruba definition of busaio says a lot. What brings us joy and what about us our likes, desires, talents might bring joy to others. It's a simple but large question that could help hone our path. After all, when life's many unpredictable moments knock us off course, what do we often turn to the joy in our lives? So if you make your joy, your business success becomes a real privilege and well a joy. By the way, Busaiyah wanted to make sure I shared with you a list of books she's found helpful throughout her journey. You could find those in the show notes for this episode. Started from the Bottom is produced by David Jah, edited by Keisha Williams, Engineered by Eventaliday, Booked by Lord Morgan with production help from Lea Rose. Executive produced by Jacob Goldstein, Who's not all open the videos for Pushkin Industries. Our theme music's by Ben Holliday and David Ja featuring Anthony Jaggs and Savannah Joe Lack. Listen to start Up from the bottom wherever you get your podcasts and if you want ad free episodes available one week early sign up for Pushkin Plus. Check out Pushkin dot fm or the Apple Show page for more information. If you like her show, please remember to share, rate, and review us on your podcast app. I'm justin Richmond.