Speaker 1: Welcome into Ravens Press Pass. Today, we'll hear from outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney, head coach John Harbaugh, and inside linebackers coach zachary Yor. First up, let's hear from Jadeveon Clowney talk.
Speaker 2: With the Ravens in the past about potentially becoming the raven How.
Speaker 3: How's it feeling.
Speaker 4: How are the first few days been? That's been great. Uh.
Speaker 5: I've been a fan of John Harball since I came to the league. I just felt like watching him on TV. He was all about his players and asking me, Hey, what y'all want to do?
Speaker 4: Right? Y'all want to do? So I wanna be a part of it.
Speaker 5: Come over here has been great so far, A great team, great atmosphere, we've been great practice.
Speaker 4: The sun now ain't it's not don't get too hot and ain't Houston weather. So it's been great. What else would.
Speaker 5: Sign? I felt like they had a winning team, like a team can win, go to the playoffs, have a chance to win it. So I felt like if I come help, I do my part, hopefully we can win it. So that's what I was thinking when I came to visit.
Speaker 2: Is there any younger persons that play out your visitor that stood out.
Speaker 5: 'em on team man, that was just they was just so about the players here. When I came, like, they was caring and about the players and how they how they felt and aksing them, you know, And I felt like that's what I need to be.
Speaker 4: A part of. When I walked in, I felt like I was already a part of the team.
Speaker 5: Everybody you know, showed me love and said what's up? Even the players, And I was like, I need to be here and come play here.
Speaker 6: At this point in your career or what are you looking to show? And you and you feel physically?
Speaker 1: How do you feel about you know what you're living Jesus here?
Speaker 4: I feel great.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: I think i'm'a play Uh very well.
Speaker 5: I'm just ready to show and I don't wanna talk about it just right that's really you know, put my paths on the show up and play every game weekend we got. My goal is to play seventeen games this year. That's the only goal I'm shooting for right now. So just try to do that. Start with that.
Speaker 6: Do you do you feel like you.
Speaker 3: Have a down down word year? You know how many able this season, even if you're not in a campus.
Speaker 4: And what what were you doing to to make sure you were at Oh, for sure, I done. I done.
Speaker 5: Came in week one, I done, came in you know, training camp under did a little bit of everything. And I just think just training in the off season. I I worked extremely hard in off season stay in shape. When I got out here, these guys was like, man, you like you're in pretty good shape. I say, I I train a lot, you know, just try to make sure when their phone do ring or whenever I do decide to play for it seeing I'm I'm in shape and I'm physically ready to go when I get there. So that was my whole goal into me being able to come out here and compete at a high level.
Speaker 1: Put thefa your way and David Java, what are your impressions and then practicing with them for a few days and they what what is your idea of the things that you.
Speaker 6: Three you can do together.
Speaker 4: I think they're great players. Uh. They was all all chosen high.
Speaker 5: Uh you know, Uh, they can rush off the ball, they could rush inside and outside. And that's a good thing about being in a group like this when everybody can play in different positions. You don't know where they coming from, and uh, you know it's gonna be the closest job to figure out what to line us up at and how to do it. So I'm just ready to see how I look Sunday.
Speaker 7: Any how do you add a conversation with any of the coaches about with your.
Speaker 4: My role roll?
Speaker 5: Uh kind of you know, just come, you know, get my snaps up. You gonna take my time. They say they gonna take their time with me and see how it go. But once the season get rolled, you never know.
Speaker 4: They roll. Your role change very quick when you playing. So we'll see.
Speaker 7: Do you feel like your moresatility is your I is an asset?
Speaker 2: There is they kinda figure out what that role could be.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I can soft the pastrussure. Yeah, I think I can do a lot of things. Uh, especially when I'm healthy. I can do a lot of things. And I'm healthy right now. So I wanna stay in this situation and just let them know I'm available to do just about anything on a up front. So well, I think they know that. You know, they put me in a a lot of situations already. I just got here. I think they know that, so uh, they just want me to ready and and shape for the season.
Speaker 8: Did they be any uh, John Harball towards lest we did think you we was instrumental in getting you here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's my guy. What did what?
Speaker 3: How much did you talk to you over the course of this time?
Speaker 4: And then were you before I out to weave a lot.
Speaker 5: I've been talking to Weeds since the Houston situation, since I left Houston. Uh, just staying in touch with him, not necessarily to play for him, just seeing how you go. He was a good coach back then, and an opportunity came back around for me to play with him. He called, We talked to each other, so we gotta get you out here. It's a great place and visit. And I said, alright, let me come check it out. Got and he was right, and I was like, alright, I can probably see myself playing out here.
Speaker 4: And look at me now that in your back you're.
Speaker 3: Going against from Mark Jackson and his offense.
Speaker 5: Now that you're a raven, what can you say.
Speaker 8: About what you see on that side of the ball as a teammate and what they have potential.
Speaker 5: I'm just glad I ain't got to chase the guy. No, more right now. So, Uh, I got a year off from chasing the f the f quickest fastest quarterback in the lead. Uh it's great now. But I think they got a lot of potential with the receiving cords they got. They them guys been catching the ball all over the field. JK running a uh uh dogs the running back running pretty good.
Speaker 4: Just came back.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Offensive line physical, big. Gonna be a good season.
Speaker 5: That's to watch them guys compete and uh, you know, hopefully we win a lot of game.
Speaker 4: It's like I said, that's the goal.
Speaker 1: Did you play in the AFC North, then what's it gonna be like going.
Speaker 2: Against the grounds place?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: I didn't care where I stayed. Uh, I don't care not about what they got going on. I'm here now. Uh it's gonna be great to go against 'em twice, I guess us looking forward to playing, Like I said, seventeen game no matter who on the schedules, just I wanna be out there.
Speaker 4: So it's trying to do that this year.
Speaker 3: You what are your thad picture of your career at this point?
Speaker 4: I mean, is it is it?
Speaker 3: Do you take it year by year?
Speaker 5: I mean, do you uh my career has been This has been a up and down career. I came in the league twenty fourteen. I got hurt my first game of my career at UH one of the worst injuries you can have, Michael Fraction. I'm battled back for nine years straight and it's been a ride. I tell y'all, I don't abotly know what much pain I've been in or what i'd've been through, but I do in my family. So I'm just trying to win on the back end right now, and uh, keep playing at the high level. I got a lot of a lot left in me. I just wanna keep showing up.
Speaker 7: Did dam numbers thoughts on playing on Saturday, Like do you want to play.
Speaker 4: In this game?
Speaker 5: Or I'm not the coach it's a preseason. I told the coach the same thing. It's up to you. I'm physically ready, I'm mentally ready. Uh it's just let me know ahead of time if what you got planned for me, and I make sure I'm.
Speaker 4: Ready to go.
Speaker 3: Why you poet number twenty fourth?
Speaker 5: It was either that a fifty right now and I ain't pick fifty because justin Houston Ward last year here and uh, I just picked twenty four this to switch it up.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I just just like, yeah, let me try twenty four. Bro.
Speaker 5: Well see what happened when training camp over on when they make cause, I might switch one number again, they say, but we'll see.
Speaker 7: Did Dave y'all swall a for a couple of different teams? Now, obviously you are the bravest are flirting with each.
Speaker 4: Other for a wow?
Speaker 7: What makes this such a great.
Speaker 4: Fit for you in your mind?
Speaker 5: I think it's the gods. They they bring in, you know, that locker room like fit me. It's that type of group of gods. Listen to ask the savage. I don't really care about what nobody think. And you know, we just wanna be physical and hit. That's all I wanna do anyway, be physical in hit and nah. I think that's why I brain of this team, a physical asset that they know i'm'a be very physical out there and uh uh play at a high level. We play fast and have a good time. So that's what I've been bringing so far. They loving the energy and I'm trying to keep my energy up for six months.
Speaker 4: SI Les go next up?
Speaker 1: Head coach John Harbaugh.
Speaker 8: Okay, great to see everybody appreciate you being here. Good practice. We're gonna kind of get pointed toward Tampa here in a quick turnaround, so that's gonna be our focus one forward. But really happy with the last two days of practice, execution and timing practices, and I thought the guys did a really good job. The other thing is, uh, Terrell Suggs will be inducked into the Ring of Honor. So I'm want to congratulate Terrell and his family, sizz and we we still got a defense called sais did you know that? Yeah, it's a pass rush of course, of course. And just had a chance to text with him today and couldn't be more more happy for him.
Speaker 3: Nobody's more deserving.
Speaker 8: I mean, obviously that was a no brainer, right, and what he meant to this organization and to our team and to our defense. I just personally just very grateful for Terrell Suggs and what he's done for the Ravens Well. Question, Jeff Clowney Clooney just said that he was and he came here, is that he always thought it would be fun to play for you. I mean, did you when he when he came to visit, did you find it was easy to kind of strike up a rapport with him, and did you.
Speaker 7: Have the sense that he would fit not just as a player, but you.
Speaker 8: Know culturally, I would say yes to all those I mean, it was really it was a really easy conversation when we first met. I mean, I felt we kind of you know, we may have shaken hands after games and when he was getting drafted, maybe, but I doubt it because we were drafting nearly high enough probably to even talk to him, if I remember right. But it was easy because we had so many shared experiences on the other side of the field, right, and we'd get a chance to talk about that stuff, and it was kind of a big smile from both of us and a hug, and we were just rolling and talking about family and about football, and.
Speaker 3: It did feel like a perfect fit.
Speaker 8: He felt like a perfect fit football wise before we even got a chance to talk. Then when we talked to him, and he kind of expressed what he's looking for and what he wants to accomplish, and we kind of explained what we were looking for and what the need was.
Speaker 3: You know, it just was over as.
Speaker 8: Far as I was concerned, And he took a couple of days they figured it out, and he's here and he's practicing really well, and it's been nothing but a joy to be around him every single day.
Speaker 1: He talks about their personatility, and do you see those guys as all.
Speaker 3: Interchangeable kind of part one hundred percent? I think they'll right. I think that's what they'll be.
Speaker 8: I think they all bring you know, they play the same positions, but they all do it slightly different way, but they're all explosive in the same kind of way. And I really just I'm excited to see those guys working together, you know. And I put put the rest of the group in there too, but you know, those three guys are the obvious guys right now, and they're gonna be out there rolling.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to see him work when it comes.
Speaker 7: When it comes to the last preseason game, how important is that when it comes to some of the bubble roster guys status on this team kind of have an idea of going into the game, or how much stock can you put.
Speaker 3: Into the last preseason game. It's a great question.
Speaker 8: I think it just kind of depends on the situation. Uh, it kind of goes both ways. Sometimes sometimes it doesn't mean a lot because you pretty much know where you're at. Other times there's you know, it could put somebody over the top, you know.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's going to really ever.
Speaker 8: Hurt anybody, anybody that's put themselves in a position to make the team. Now, I don't see anything that they did in the game would would jeopardize him at all. But I think it could take somebody, you know, to the next level possibly if you see something you've been looking for.
Speaker 2: Or Darius Washington, we saw him make a leaping interception out here today.
Speaker 3: Some people talk about his size being undersized.
Speaker 4: What does he do well? It allows him to play bigger than his size.
Speaker 8: He does play bigger than his size. Bow One of the things he does well is he jumps really well. I mean he's really explosive. He's I don't know what vertical jump is, but I've seen him go way high, you know, to get a football. So the play he made in the game against Washington on that on that zero blitch real they threw the ball up in the air.
Speaker 3: And he got the ball out.
Speaker 8: That's a good place you're going to see, you know. I think he's got a knack for kind of kind of exploding covering ground to go make a play.
Speaker 3: So he's done really well. I'm really happy for him.
Speaker 8: I think he's taking a lot of steps as a player and excited for his future.
Speaker 2: I don't think we've asked about Sam Mustafer llowyens Mills guy since he was signed.
Speaker 3: How do you think he's performed the summer this summer and you feel.
Speaker 4: Confident he can handle that backup job behind.
Speaker 3: Winderlow Right, great question and the answer is affirmative at all.
Speaker 8: That he's played. Sam has played very well. Uh, he's picked up the offense very well. But here's the guy that started numerous games, so he's been there. He understands the concepts. He's held up really well from a just a base and a and an anchor standpoint, and he's moved his feet while in reach blocks and things like that, so very few mistakes. You know, he's definitely put himself in a position to be a contributor for us. He definitely has what do you see.
Speaker 2: From Ronald Darby and the practices so far, and you want to see any game any way he's just pulled up pat.
Speaker 3: It's a good question. Yeah, sure, I want to. I want to.
Speaker 8: I love to I'd love to see everybody in a game situation close out the season. What have I seen from Derby? So you like that? That was the perfect answer to your to your slick slide sneaky question. But Ronald's done well. I mean he looks like he looks like a starting corner. You know, he's been there. He's he's very talented, he knows how to play. I think he's a great addition to our team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you guys.
Speaker 2: Made the decisions on other guys like Jalen paul At I guess he even.
Speaker 4: Rock Is may be available first Saturday his game.
Speaker 8: We have made some decisions. Some of it will come down to medical. You know, we want to make sure they're they're really healthy enough to go. And the other thing is like you want to have enough guys because you know, the guys that are playing can be overburdened and pressed into too many plays, and that's something we've got a weigh.
Speaker 1: And last, but not least, inside linebackers coach zachary Or it's.
Speaker 2: Like, bring your impressions and the developing.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: I think he's been developing well. I mean he's a he's a.
Speaker 9: Hard working kid, a great athlete, you can. You can see the physical talent of why we wanted him. Uh, he had unfortunate, you know, a little injury to begin the camp that kind of slowed him down, but he was uh participating in meetings.
Speaker 6: But he think he's developing well.
Speaker 9: I think he got some real good game action, his first real live action that he's got all camp, and.
Speaker 6: We expect him to continue to get better.
Speaker 9: He has the right mindset, which is very important to can you continue to get better?
Speaker 6: And he actually has.
Speaker 9: He obviously has the skill set, So we're excited where he's at right now. He's only gonna continue to get a lot better, So we're excited where he's at right now.
Speaker 8: The mistakes that he did make in that game last weekend, did they strike you as sort.
Speaker 3: Of normal rookie out there for the first time mistakes.
Speaker 6: Or oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 9: I Mean the thing about it that a lot of people have to understand is the jump from college to the NFL.
Speaker 6: I don't care what level of college you played at, it's a big jump.
Speaker 9: And uh, you know, mistakes are normal mistakes that you make throughout the course of a football game. But thing that I like that he did is he bounced back from the mistake after the touchdown and ran the guy over for sack fumble, which was a big play in that two minute drive. So that just kind of shows you the makeup that he has, that he can move on from one play to the next play. But it's just normal game mistakes, you know. And the biggest jump we always say is from game one to game too, so expect him to be a lot better this game coming up.
Speaker 1: Have you seen Patrick Queen make the biggest advancements in his.
Speaker 6: Game this summer?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 9: Man, I would say, honestly everywhere Like p Q Patrick Queen. I'm so excited about him. This is probably the most focused I've seen him since being around him, and he's always been a focused guy, but this year he kind of got a different look in his eyes, and I'm excited and happy about it.
Speaker 6: But he's he's improved everywhere.
Speaker 9: I mean, we've talked after the season and he wanted to get better in all aspects, and I think that's great that a player doesn't doesn't pinpoint one aspect of the game.
Speaker 6: He wants to improve. He wants to improve everywhere, and I think he's done that.
Speaker 9: So he's ready to be unleashed, and I'm excited to see him when he gets out there week one lines.
Speaker 7: I mean, Patrick's even talked about the off field some of the business start you know, fifth year option, all that, hold the prest.
Speaker 2: Have you been with everything you just said about him warm the field, how old he's just handled himself and not allowing that to be a distraction for him going into this year.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it just shows his maturity. I mean I've been very impressed with him.
Speaker 6: Obviously.
Speaker 9: The business side is something that we don't shy away from it. I mean I know it. We know it as coaches, and we want we want these guys to do what's best for them in their career. And but he understands at the end of the day, to get what he wants and to get to where he wants to be at, he has to come out here and perform and the best way to do that is to be focused and locked in every single day.
Speaker 6: And he's done that.
Speaker 9: So he's taking the right approach about it, a great approach about it. He's not complaining, not wanting about anything like that. He understands the business side of it.
Speaker 6: I think Harvees and.
Speaker 9: Eric have done a great job with the conversations they've had with him, and he's he's he's doing well.
Speaker 6: He's handling real well. So I'm excited. I think it's just gonna be a real beneficial for him. The way he's been handling it is.
Speaker 7: What stands out to you about him as well as a teammate and that old man.
Speaker 9: First and foremost, congrats to Suggs, T Sizzle, Latron James, whatever you want to call him, whatever he calls himself. Man, congrats bro uh Well deserved much much deserve. But what stood out to him is just not only was a great player, but one of the best players that ever put on a helmet in the National Football League. Obviously one of the best players that ever put a helmet on in this organization. But I mean he's a great dude. I mean I remember just me being an undrafted rookie free agent hadn't made the team yet. I mean, he talked to us like he like he talked to Hellodi. I mean he made everybody feel welcome, everybody feel like a family. You could go to him about anything, kill joke and kid around with you as well. I mean, he's just a great, great human being. But what stood out to me on the field is just.
Speaker 6: His work ethic.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 9: Like when I got here, you know, you kind of always hear about how hard do guys work and everything like that. He was the hardest worker on the field when he was here, man, So it's no surprise he's accomplished what he's accomplished, Dann there for two decades in this league, you know, getting getting shrine into the ring honor here, and I think he's a future First Battle of Hall of Famer.
Speaker 6: He should be. If not, you know, I'll be disappointed. But he's well deserving of that.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 9: He's a great dude. Everything he's getting is deserved, man, for real. So congrat Suggs.
Speaker 8: You mentioned you were an undrafted There's a lot of guys trying to make this cheers on the driving the Brookies in their last Fie year game.
Speaker 4: Was coming out.
Speaker 2: What do you remember mainly from back then for you and what you say the most guys coming.
Speaker 5: Into that game.
Speaker 9: Man, I remember we were playing, we were about to play in New Orleans, and all I remember is, hey, this is the last opportunity, so i'm'a cut it loose. So that's that's just what I tell these guys, man, cut it loose. Man, you have nothing to be uh worried about from the standpoint of you can c only control what you can control, and what you can control is going out there in this last game for the last sixty minutes and just going balls to the wall, man, giving everything you got. So block out the noise, block out the distractions, and just cut it loose. And all these guys they've been playing football, uh for quite a while, you know what I mean. And they all played football at I had high levels at the college level. So you have nothing to wory about. It's just a football game. Cut it loose, go play hard, and let the chips fall where.
Speaker 4: They may eat. Uh.
Speaker 3: This is the first off season for the first season for Broke Colma.
Speaker 4: He's out the Green God, I guess how he taken to that role. And you know your linebackers.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you guys are putting more stuff on them besides the great Dot than you did leevious years because of just how comfortable they are and how well they couldn't the defense?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 9: I mean I think that they're very comfortable in defense now that we got a role here for a full offseason last year was funny, man, he picked up the defense pretty well, but you couldn't really give him all the nuggets and everything that he needed to know because it's just been too much. You got here midseason, but him getting here this offseason, getting comfortable in the system and the defense, PQ being here for the second year in this defense, which you already had familiarity with those guys, building that chemistry, I think it's very important.
Speaker 6: So we are putting a lot of those plates.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 9: Those are two of our best players, not on defense but on the team, and I think they're two of the best players in the league. So we're gonna ask them to do a lot for us, and we need them to perform well, and I think that they're up to it with the way they've been working.
Speaker 6: So yeah, we do put a lot on those guys.
Speaker 1: Please thank you for listening to Ravens Press Pass. As always, make sure you're subscribe to leave a rating and review, and check out the Lounge podcast where myself, Brian Ink and Garrett Downing gave our fifty three man roster predictions. Be back with you after Saturday night's game against the Bay Buccaneers.