Speaker 1: Are you leaving?
Speaker 2: I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 3: Either way, we want to be there. Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol e Gaggie aid. We want to send you off in style. We wanna welcome you back home. Tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Porn? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride? Do your need to ride?
Speaker 2: Ride with Karen and Chris? Welcome to Do you need a ride? This is Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 1: And this is Karen Kilgariff.
Speaker 2: We are driving. This is I don't know where the boundary is, but we're right in the middle of Echo Park and Silver silver Lake, silver Lake, Bolvar, Silver Lake Boulevard and and it is the area featured in the movie Training Day. It is my neighborhood and and I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is where all the beautiful hip people are and all the you know, yeah, all that where.
Speaker 1: The action is.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I didn't know that when I was leaving Venice Beach, I was moving somewhere i'd be confronted by my age because I feel like I moved to like the young hip part of town.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but as you can tell, I've adjusted accordingly and I hipped it up.
Speaker 1: You've definitely stopped crying about it, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've started cuffing my pants.
Speaker 1: You dried your eyes, Yes.
Speaker 2: Quit crying because I was getting tears in the cuffs of my pants.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And yeah, everyone's like, oh, that guy, he must be he's one of our peers, he's our age. They don't know if all these creams at home that I put on my face.
Speaker 1: Right, you've tricked them all.
Speaker 2: Look the pedestrians dance on street corners to themselves.
Speaker 3: Everybody's tiktoking around, ready to be on cameras.
Speaker 2: Neighborhood is filled with music, laughter. Yes, it's the joyous area.
Speaker 3: There's the children at a little school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can hear their laughs often the day stens every morning. That's that's my rooster.
Speaker 3: I used to I used to live in this neighborhood, very close to where we are, and hearing school bells is actually kind of a fun way to mark time.
Speaker 1: If you're home on a this one.
Speaker 2: No, next one, and next one, it will if you had funny. It's this one. It's as straight. Yeah, school bells, you know they get mixed reviews. It's it's however, you were traumatized or not traumatized as a child.
Speaker 3: Right, and if you work in and out of the home, in or out of the home.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, or like me, have you spent years ringing a bell for a living?
Speaker 1: Oh you were Santa Claus?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I rang bells for the Salvation Army. Is that Reggie's house? He's having some work done.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a lot of work.
Speaker 2: That's a nice patio, though.
Speaker 1: I thought it was up here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, yeah, you're right. I randomly picked a house, so I think you're probably right.
Speaker 1: Is that the number we're looking for you?
Speaker 2: I think Reggie Wats, our guest today, has little windows in its fence. Look at that.
Speaker 1: You can't say that, all right?
Speaker 2: Reggie Watts has a fence, and I will describe it no further.
Speaker 1: His garbage cans are all the same as everybody else's.
Speaker 2: I'm very Yes, there's nothing that is describable about this place.
Speaker 3: No, yes, except that it used to be my neighborhood. This is where Pete and I lived five doors down and it's a great neighborhood, except for the police helicopters.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on the band Three Doors Down?
Speaker 1: I can't remember, nor.
Speaker 2: Can I, And like most people, you try and conjure a tune by them and you come up with third eyed blind fel.
Speaker 1: That's automatically what happens every time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no one can remember now Three Doors Down?
Speaker 4: Wash?
Speaker 2: Will you still call me Superman? Oh? It's so funny. Everyone's fascination with Superman, people like Seinfeld and adult man in a Superman shirt is something you still see often, true, true, which, oddly enough, a Superman shirt on a man is kryptonite to the ladies. Ironically, isn't it ironic?
Speaker 1: Don't you think?
Speaker 2: I wonder if Alanis feels bad that she didn't know what the word meant when writing that song, because she does now, she sure does. It takes a while, though, in her defense, to understand irony is a complicated thing. People confuse it for coincidence.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, and also, I think when you're writing a song like that, you just kind of get carried away with the vibe you're coming out with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had the studio vibe.
Speaker 3: You just don't give a shit that nothing's tracking? Really, yeah, grammatically, let's.
Speaker 2: See if we're speaking of tracking.
Speaker 1: I've never put on my blinkers before. Are you seeing it? Oh?
Speaker 2: Wow, it's just on the little iPad. It's like you're being forced to work on the computer while you drive. Yeah, can you get photoshop on this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I've actually put your head on top of the Three Doors Down album and it.
Speaker 2: Is I knew because I always bring that band.
Speaker 3: Up and you, Oh, do you love to reference them?
Speaker 2: I want something else to get me through this semi charm type of life. Babe, babe, just lyrics? Do we get sued for just lyrics?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I think we can talk out lyrics. Jim. Let us know.
Speaker 3: Jim is the lawyer who clears all our music songs.
Speaker 2: There is an image of your dash that is very realistic and all white, and it appears to suggest we're being gassed right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like very lightly though.
Speaker 2: Yes, just a light refreshing gas.
Speaker 1: Just very beautiful.
Speaker 3: And then it gets more intense when when you turn the number up.
Speaker 2: Stop describing my farts. I always turned to a child.
Speaker 1: You just like it, that's all.
Speaker 2: I like looking back on life and remembering the way my brain worked back then. I'm nostalgic for it, so I'm very immature.
Speaker 1: You don't ever have to look back.
Speaker 2: You can live in the now, in the your child that I am.
Speaker 1: Now fart now is what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: When I lived here, that house wasn't here. Like many of these houses have been flipped beautifully.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that house looks like they finished it last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really nice.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. I always It's one of those things I like to look at, just knowing full well I probably won't own one anytime soon. I'm okay with.
Speaker 1: That though, I mean, no one can these days. I like insane the.
Speaker 2: Freedom of knowing that I can pick up and leave my apartment whenever I want. If you know, it's an opportunity if need be, if need be.
Speaker 1: If you're a traveling man.
Speaker 2: I'm a lot like an international spy in that way. Yeah, I have nothing holding me back from just going to Berlin except.
Speaker 3: Your little yellow hat.
Speaker 1: It's just very high res.
Speaker 2: This little hat is my favorite hat.
Speaker 3: Karen going just saying for a spy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, you can't very wearing bright colors. As we know, the supplies dabble mostly in earth tones.
Speaker 1: They have to they have to blend, yeah.
Speaker 2: With the foliage and the mauve of the sky.
Speaker 1: I like the hat though, it looks good.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I wasn't. I guess I was kind of forcing a compliment, but I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's okay.
Speaker 2: It's from the sub Pop store in the Seattle Airport. Uh oh hm, I went there. I didn't even have a flight.
Speaker 3: You just shopped at the airport. Look.
Speaker 2: I see what new release books there are and cassette tapes they have smart but it is a beautiful store.
Speaker 3: Subpop really reigns supreme like in the late nineties early aughts in a way that they deserve to have an airport store now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you people always when I would wear the hat given to me by one of the members of Sleeeder Kinney, No, yeah, not personally. It was in a bad drummer, I'm not I think maybe yes.
Speaker 1: Did she have a really good bob, like a very solid bangs across?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think she was wearing a little yellow hat.
Speaker 1: Did she have hair like yours? A little curly, a little.
Speaker 2: Like again, multiple hats every day of this adult podcast camp. But there was a schwag bag from sub pop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh got it?
Speaker 2: And then I'm like, what bands are still on sub pop? Isn't that a thing of the past. No, so many current great bands are still on sub pop records. Do you think you should go check it out? Listener?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's all support them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a girl from subpop right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know joke.
Speaker 3: I think Reggie just pulled into his own driveway?
Speaker 1: Am I wrong?
Speaker 4: Look?
Speaker 1: I believe someone did.
Speaker 2: Someone did.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious.
Speaker 2: What if we just thwarted a burglary.
Speaker 1: A burgallery?
Speaker 2: I think we just thwarted a burglary. Oh God, that burgolary was in progress until we thwarted it.
Speaker 3: This burglar pulls up right to the nest camera and it's like, hey, if you didn't get my license plate before, I'm right in the driveway.
Speaker 2: You know why they're unsuccessful, bright yellow burglar masks.
Speaker 1: See I told you, Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 2: Good for crime. No, you gotta go black. What if he comes in and Reggie's Superman.
Speaker 3: That's just a whole new vibe from Reggie. Wats that people have never gotten?
Speaker 2: I've never I've known him pretty well. We do shows together on Christmas and Montana.
Speaker 1: We're both from Montana, fellow Montana.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I have never seen the emotion of anger God near him, not even near him, which means he doesn't emit it and no one puts it towards him.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not. He doesn't have a lot of anger in his life.
Speaker 3: And he speaks multiple languages, which I think is really cool.
Speaker 2: French, German, American.
Speaker 1: American English, British English.
Speaker 2: There's some Spanish in there also. And there are times in his act where, until I saw the info sheet, I thought he was just speaking a language like Gibberish that sounded like French when he was because he's and now I know he's just speaking fluent French. Oh wow during his act. I've seen him do when he does songs during shows German like metal, and it totally sounds like.
Speaker 3: A saw on him standing on the street way back behind us.
Speaker 2: It's funny because you're pointing, I guess out a reflection. You're pointing at the mirror. I really thought you were pointing.
Speaker 1: At that sense right there.
Speaker 2: That's not him standing within the wood grain of that fence. Is it hallucinating he took drugs?
Speaker 1: Again?
Speaker 2: I'm told you we're podcasting not going to cook?
Speaker 3: Is he in the wood of the fence.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. No, that's an owl.
Speaker 1: Stop it.
Speaker 2: The only face you will ever find, okay, perfect in a grain of wood is an owl.
Speaker 3: I looked out my own rearview mirror instead of trying to look at it in yours, and that is absolutely not I think that's a middle aged white lady what I was looking at.
Speaker 2: Oh. Yes, there's a lot of just people roaming around the car because they're impressed with how well you keep it up.
Speaker 1: For a black cart. It's pretty clean.
Speaker 2: There isn't a speca dirt. That group over there is saying.
Speaker 1: All hip, all cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, if I've ever gotten stinky from anyone, it was that lady that.
Speaker 1: This is a supermodel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there are pretty much any part of town, though, you're going to run into this town as lousy with supermodels and.
Speaker 3: Also people that if you get to sinkuy from anybody in Los Angeles and it makes you feel bad, go ahead and look at their license plate. That person was from New Mexico. So the problem is their own right and we must leave it where it.
Speaker 2: Is right with them. The main problem being they're hiding so many UFOs.
Speaker 1: They're lying to the government and they're lying to themselves.
Speaker 2: I was driving with David Hansberger in New Mexico after Doug Mellard's wedding to our friend Flynn and his wife. Now after the wedding, and we just ended up on the UFO the Philadelphia Project. Oh remember that movie with the I vaguely remember it, but there were soldiers with guns and giant hangars and we're like, what's in there UFOs? And he said, eh, maybe, and which I take as a yes. The guy with the gun says maybe. You know, he's just beaten around the bush.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's actually telling you the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so you heard it here first confirmation. Aliens are real and living in New Mexico and they send very symmetrical humans here to be photographed professionally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would make sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Are you saying like show business people.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying the girl that just drove by that we thought was a model is actually an alien. Oh okay, you can tell because they're very symmetrical. Aliens overdo it when they make humans and plant them on Earth. They make them very symmetrical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and kind of hypnotic.
Speaker 2: They got a beauty mark on this bam. It's also on the other cheek.
Speaker 1: Bam. Yeah, that's just two big moles.
Speaker 3: It's weird when you're waiting because any moment, he could come, any moment, and it affects the conversation.
Speaker 2: You and I don't want to get into anything deep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like I'm three quarters listening. Would I apologize?
Speaker 2: Oh no, Well, all I'm doing is tossing out a bunch of foul balls because if I hit a homer.
Speaker 1: What a waste.
Speaker 2: And Reggie gets in, it's like, can you give us a minute? Yeah, because we have to finish.
Speaker 1: We're having a private mode of comedy. You know that's bad hosting. Yeah, yeah it is.
Speaker 2: You got to keep everything very temporary, very flippant.
Speaker 3: You got to keep it flexible and fresh. And the thing you love to yell, you got to keep it loose, right, like to.
Speaker 1: Yell at even loose.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like to yell at at joggers as I passed them, immediately start stretching. Keep it loose, keep it silly goose. They love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No one's offended when called a silly goose.
Speaker 1: You know when they're offended is when you shush them.
Speaker 2: Yes, no one likes that, especially when you extend your arm and touch your finger to their lives.
Speaker 3: You physically shush with your finger them.
Speaker 2: Yes, do not physically shush with your finger.
Speaker 3: Them them won't like it.
Speaker 2: Them don't. Well, are we sure we're at the right house that I've described in detail, which we've edited out.
Speaker 3: I looked at it in Google three D maps and literally counted the houses between my old.
Speaker 1: House and his house.
Speaker 3: So I feel like, if it's not this house, it's this house, because so he will either be coming out from here or from there.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm currently flying a drone and looking at the video and man, your car.
Speaker 3: Is immaculate, even from the top.
Speaker 2: But I'm very excited me too.
Speaker 3: I was on the phone with Danielle yesterday morning. Danielle Kramer, she runs exactly.
Speaker 2: Right, she's the coo, she.
Speaker 1: Is the that's right, and she oh miss that house.
Speaker 2: They have an electronic door. I guess that's pretty normal. That was invented in the mid eighties, kind of standard. Ye, not where I come from.
Speaker 3: And in Danielle's backyard, she and are talking going over our morning call, and then she goes, ugh, there's a drone in my backyard and there's just like a drone hovering over her yard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's frightening to me that we've just gotten used to that. That's so weird because most of them have video capabilities.
Speaker 1: It's not okay, no, because you know the.
Speaker 2: Person flying that, I got one in on the remote and the other man. I'm not even going to mention where the other hand is.
Speaker 1: You don't have to. We're talking about drones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's in their pocket searching for money to buy a better drone. Here we time, and here we are at the perfect ending of whatever we were talking about.
Speaker 1: That amazing riff cham.
Speaker 3: Yeah morning, yes, good morning.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 2: I told you we spoke French.
Speaker 3: Reggie Watt.
Speaker 2: Hello, Reggie. Class my falangies as I offer them to you because we are friends.
Speaker 5: Hi, Michael Falangio, thank you for calling me by my new stage name.
Speaker 2: In the car now is our friend Reggie Watts? Hello, Reggie, Hi, I'm Reggie. How are you, buddy?
Speaker 4: I'm really good, Reggie.
Speaker 3: Can I just tell you and really quick?
Speaker 2: You know I was going nowhere.
Speaker 1: I used to live in this apartment right here, in this in this black building. Yes, it was.
Speaker 3: You lived there and worshiped the devil and if you watched Twin Peaks. Laura Palmer's mother, Gray Sabriski, just walked.
Speaker 1: Out of her house. She lives right across the street.
Speaker 2: WHOA, yes, wait you just saw.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, she lived there when I lived there, and she would never acknowledge me or talk to me. Her husband would say hi, and they but they were both obsessed with my cat, and my cat would go and lay on their patio and it was almost like we shared a cat a little bit. And then one time she told me about a documentary she went and saw. Other than that, it was like I didn't exist. And that was fine with me because I love Gray Sabrinski.
Speaker 4: That the great Zabrinski.
Speaker 1: Also an amazing magician.
Speaker 4: Great to Brecky, that's awesome.
Speaker 5: Wow, yeah, I love that little you know loves in this goddamn neighborhood.
Speaker 1: It's so specific.
Speaker 2: Do you think that that person with the black house got painted their house black after the jeep or the jeep came second, you know that one was in response?
Speaker 5: I think it definitely it was to match the jeep we're moving in, and they were like, if that's going to be parked in the driveway, which it's going to be, then we need.
Speaker 2: To It would be crazy to me if the jeep was another color, as was the house any painted both black? Because his fingernails were painted black, I would like the fingernails to go, Oh, is this your friend?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's Clet Martin's I love.
Speaker 6: Reggie is the the the best at confidently uh giving no information to where it sounds like there definitely is information.
Speaker 2: And if you didn't, it's just you're not paying attention.
Speaker 4: If you missed it, that's that's that's pure truth.
Speaker 1: And club is what kind of a name?
Speaker 2: What club?
Speaker 5: Mar Clud Martins club? Yeah, he's well, it's for a club of cleb Radaya.
Speaker 1: You're going in there, okay, but you're taking up the whole street.
Speaker 3: So what would you like me to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Go to work together?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well have you ever driven on the street before?
Speaker 2: I think we all know that it was the street fault.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was definitely streetful.
Speaker 2: Because we're on a street with no name.
Speaker 4: Street fault, street fault?
Speaker 1: Whose is it? O?
Speaker 4: G B Y beauty.
Speaker 2: Finally, Reggie, I've always wanted to ask, Yeah, how speaking of confidently speaking gibberish. How did you do? How many TED talks have you done? Was it just the one I love?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 5: I have the main Ted one I did, and then I have I did? I think TED X mid Atlantic, TEDx Full Spectrum and TED ex Doha. You've done multiple and ted X Berlin.
Speaker 2: I wanted which one because I've only seen one and it blew me away?
Speaker 1: What was it about?
Speaker 7: May?
Speaker 1: I ask?
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 5: Well, they're all just me fucking around on stage really, so it's like, yeah, they're not really about anything.
Speaker 4: But you know, it's just me.
Speaker 5: It's just on stage, yeah, talking about whatever I think I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: But you were You were so good and you always I've always seen you be good at this, but so good at transitioning from one character who's not really saying anything to another. It's you were morphing into different people. It was so great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm so good at sometimes people call me morph hammeil.
Speaker 4: Oh. By the way, the salt and straw.
Speaker 5: On Sunset ice Cream is it looks like a fucking TGI Friday. It's like the design of it, it just looks like it's just it's so terrible.
Speaker 4: I can't believe it. Like it just I every time.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm like, someone consciously decided that that's going to be appetizing to the people of silver Lake, which it is not.
Speaker 3: Are they doing like license plates on the wall and ship lap and stuff?
Speaker 4: I don't know they should be Oh yeah, like that cush.
Speaker 2: When before it opened or right when they opened. Someone I was walking by and someone flagged me down and said, would you like some ice cream? And I thought, I'm like, well, surely I'll have to pay for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I tried so many different varieties. Whoa and they refuse to take my money.
Speaker 6: That salts and straws, Yes, it salts and as well as straws.
Speaker 3: I got a ticket in Larchmont for overstaying my welcome in my parking spot, and I also got a second ticket, and when I opened it up, it was saltan straw saying we're sorry you got a ticket. Here's a thing for a free ice cream.
Speaker 4: You're a kidding? Serious?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Isn't that good? Like marketing kind of friend making?
Speaker 2: How they did they approach the city and they're like, we want to have coupons on your tickets and they're like, okay, no.
Speaker 3: It was a separate living ticket because it basically happened in front of their store. So maybe that's some awesome idea somebody came up with of like people are so bummed when they get a ticket, and so then we can kind of like emphasize.
Speaker 2: With them, yeah they're making your day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and say hey, once again, cope with food. And I'm like, hell, yes, I will watch me do it.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's a very interesting marketing tactic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Reggie, how much longer do you have as the band leader on the current television program you're working?
Speaker 4: I have zero zero.
Speaker 2: It's over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been over for a month.
Speaker 1: Now, se House Free Life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's well, I'm really stoked that it's I don't have to go there anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure, I love that feeling. But it's also.
Speaker 5: You know a little terrifying about like, well, what's next. You know, it's the next thing, you know, pitching some stuff, but you know, you know how that usually goes.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean in the meantime, I'm touring a lot and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: That's what I wanted the answer to be. Yeah, I just want everyone to do stand up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I want everyone to do. I hope you keep pitching and nothing happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's so sweet. Yeah, I get it. I get it, and I understand it too. That's the thing. I totally understand it.
Speaker 3: I was telling Chris because very briefly, for like one month I worked there and watched you do your thing, and I was telling him how much I liked watching you have to do a real, like kind of arguably traditional like band leader job and then yet completely were yourself and kept your own style and kind of kept your own space, which I think is a hard thing to do. And I always just like watched you, going like, oh cool, because you're like, you know, it's not the same as comedy bang bang, It's like it's almost like the official CBS version or whatever, but you still were you and so hilarious, and I just thought it was cool.
Speaker 5: Oh well, thanks, Yeah, it was fun. It was so cool that they were just like, yeah, go for it. Yeah, and we're okay with it.
Speaker 3: M h.
Speaker 5: And I'm aware that that's not a normal way of proceeding, but it was also kind of oh telephone.
Speaker 2: And not to be childish again, but I am. I just launched my new my new flatulence.
Speaker 4: Oh you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We were talking about my old one being childish. Oh and this one's more adult contemporary, so excuse me.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's cool, thank you. And that's also like way more palatable.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, which I enjoy I enjoyed things. Well, I just enjoyed things, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've always been I've always accused you of someone who enjoyed things.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you're correct, and I love it.
Speaker 2: Where have you been doing stand up?
Speaker 5: I've been doing a lot of just lineup shows, Like I'm doing two shows tonight when a Dynasty and one somewhere else.
Speaker 2: I noticed your comedy store the other night. Is that somewhere you rarely, like me, have performed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the comedy store is like very rare for me to perform attic. I've only performed once in the smaller room, so it's my first time playing in the big room. But also that lineup was just insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciated that you appreciated that lineup. Yes, to me, you were one of the biggest stars on it. But I see the world.
Speaker 4: More realistically.
Speaker 2: Who was on that show? Tiffany, our friend Tiffany.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tiffany Hattish and David Spade and Mark Marin, so there.
Speaker 2: Was yeah, I guess there was some people that have done some things.
Speaker 5: And then Dane Cook, which was interesting really yeah he was. I guess the headliner was last Guy and oh and then who snuck? Oh, Polly Shore snuck in the Oh wow.
Speaker 2: That's like all the directions comedy went, I know.
Speaker 5: The nineties, like All the Night, like legendary, you know comedians. Well, I guess Maren would have been a little bit later. He would have been like two thousands.
Speaker 2: But no, when I think of working since eighty seven, yeah, I think of him in a flowered Cowboys shirt talking to Johnny Carson like.
Speaker 5: You're right, You're right, Yeah, because he used to work the door at the Comedy Store in eighty seven.
Speaker 2: How do you know that?
Speaker 4: Because he told me. That's the only way I know.
Speaker 2: I always whenever I've been in the room with Polly Shore, I want to tell him that my dad wrote jokes for his dad, But it never comes out of my mouth because it seems like it was Uhrt Burfler, No, Sammy Okay, yeah, who started the comedy store.
Speaker 4: But I guess.
Speaker 2: Kenson Sammy Kennison, Sure, okay, and uh, he'd put on the trench coat and no one knows.
Speaker 5: With White Snake, Yes he is in the White Snake video.
Speaker 4: Is I think he is.
Speaker 2: I just think that's so cool, but I don't. I still don't let him know because why would I. It just seems like I'm bragging about my dad again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he'd probably just kind of like, look at you weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe that is a place sometimes where people let you down, where you're like, hey, we have a connection, and then they're.
Speaker 1: Just like, yeah, I don't care.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: That's very la where you're just like.
Speaker 4: It's very common.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well it's it's it's like when people give up on the notion of male.
Speaker 4: It has such a specialized transport vehicle.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's like a child, it's not a big wheeler. And then it's got like he's got a walking cane. But the walking cane he costing me to custom loop at the base of it so that he can just put it through the handles and it just like holds it there perfectly.
Speaker 2: Anyway, he's got his day all planned out.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's done that before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he has and he's he's doing it right now. Yeah, Yeah, that happens a lot.
Speaker 5: There's like kind of a little bit of a bitterness sometimes that comes with what I call like the mid nineties road dogs. Yeah, it was just a different way of being on the road and maybe it still exists or whatever. You know, like just like comedians doing stand up, writing jokes, surviving gig to gig and kind of like being a little too competitive or quasi hostile to one another.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the vibe. Then. That's how Karen talks about it all the time, the mid nineties competitive vibe. There's even at the Green Room in San Antonio. I remember Polly Shore had written something scathing. I can't remember what it was, but then years later there was an apology that he wrote next to it, like sorry, guys, I was going through a lot at this point, which I actually appreciated.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 2: He's like, I don't even know what I meant by saying this, but up on the wall, yeah, on the wall that everyone signed.
Speaker 1: Yeah there was.
Speaker 2: There was his mean spirited thing and then an apology fifteen years later.
Speaker 1: That's that's progress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, comedy has progressed, man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, those clubs are I always get so nervous whenever I'm like doing like a you know, like a traditional stand up club.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm always like.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, all right, over right, all right, all right, because I you know, because like usually and most of the time I kind of view what I do on stage is I'm kind of doing whatever. But then there are moments when I go into I'm doing an impression of a stand up comedian, right, like, I'm using all the kind of the timing mechanisms, cadence, all that stuff, and so I lean more heavily on that and a comedy yeah, in a comedy place, because it's just I don't know, it just it makes me feel a little bit more comfortable because I'm like, well they'll understand this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also at the store, would you be able to set up any equipment?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I I could do that, Yeah for sure in the future. I was thinking about it's like the sets are too short, and my thing is like, if it's fifteen minutes or less, it's not worth me coming up and setting up my stuff. If it's like a weirdo comedy night, then maybe because it's not that hard to set up, I just have to rush up there and then quickly un plug the mic and then plug it into a di and then I'm ready to go.
Speaker 4: But and then also probably have a stool. But usually there's always a stool in comedy, so thatwys works out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that stool comes with it.
Speaker 4: It's like you have to have that stool.
Speaker 2: Well, I love traditional stand up Reggie Watts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's it's fun. But the thing that you do that I do notice that I can do.
Speaker 5: I can be a lot more because I'm doing stuff that because I can kind of kind of go down a wild you know, rabbit shoot. They tend to like weirdly kind of sometimes appreciate kind of weirder shit. Ye, yeah, as long as it's not too too weird, Like if it gets you can lose people. If it gets too weird, you have to you know, you have to just be careful. But I got lucky. Like when I got up on stage, this guy he was sitting at a table right in front or husband wife, I assume, and he had this coin on the table and I was like, it's like I went over to one lady acted like she was my friend, and I was like, thank you for coming in it was really difficult whatever. And then I go over to the other side of the stage and there's this couple sitting there with a piece of paper and it has looks like a certificate and then there was a coin on it. I was like, well, it was like a certificate on there. It's like, what's that what's that coin for? And the guy was like aa and I was like, oh, okay it with him. Yeah, I'm just like American Airlines pretty cool.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 1: American Airline.
Speaker 5: Celebrating American Airlines. It was so cool. It just like so worked out. Everybody was losing it.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 4: It was like, hey, American Airlines.
Speaker 2: I wonder why you cut it out? Is that don't you avoid the to drink minimum?
Speaker 5: Maybe yeah, maybe maybe it's there to remind him like not to get the drink or something, you know, because it's there's a lot of there were a lot of I guess I don't know. I don't know if it's like because of Mark or you know, like maybe Mark has a sober following.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, you signed my chip.
Speaker 4: Yeah, chip Chips sent chips. It's like ruffles nice. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know, but there seemed to be some kind of a sober faction there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh for sure. I had Mark sign an empty my last bottle of whiskey.
Speaker 4: Oh that's fucking fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I stopped drinking, Reggie, Oh you did? When did you stop? About five months ago? Oh my god, it's too early to be about it.
Speaker 4: Are you like full sober or Cali sober full full? Nice?
Speaker 2: But I still eat chicken. Okay, that's just that's a good specific brand.
Speaker 1: Are you getting ready to go to the comedy store yourself?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just.
Speaker 4: Put it on the note you have that.
Speaker 5: I see you have that notepad with the stool, just like write on the note if the.
Speaker 1: Chip guy is sitting in the front.
Speaker 5: Yeah, or I guess you could set it up. You could have a friend sit there. It was like a plant.
Speaker 1: I do a play.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I When I first, I think I feel like I hadn't even met you yet. I'd only seen you at like UCB and we were both in Vegas for some festival. I think it's where they had the Andy Kaufman Award.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that was a stupid idea.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but I remember you being interviewed by someone and just overheard you as I was walking past, say that you're from Montana, And then I looked at you because I already knew who you were as a Los Angeles comedian, and I flashed to an image. I still don't know if it's something I conjured or not, but I remember you as a young person in Great Falls. And I still don't know where where I would have ever Matthew, because I go there to skateboard. Oh right, right, And I know that at some point I saw you or Matt you in Great Falls, Montana when I was sixteen or something.
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean that sounds because you know a lot of my Yes, we have some similar crossover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, your good friend there, yeah, older brother? Yeah? Who is Jeff?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sorry if you call him JJ, it's like spitting in his face.
Speaker 4: I probably might.
Speaker 2: Him right now if I see him, I'm going to call him JJ. And I know if you know him as as JJ.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, because I think the reason why he doesn't want to go by JJ is because he hated J. J.
Speaker 4: Walker Rights as a character.
Speaker 5: No, I don't like that that very tall African American man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, things are not dynamite.
Speaker 4: Y are indeed not.
Speaker 5: I like dynamtte but not Dynamite sorry.
Speaker 2: And fology accepted totally. And then you and I got booked over a decade ago at the same venue on purpose. It wasn't like a double booking, like, oh, what are we going to do? I guess get to know each other? Yeah, right, And then it's become a tradition.
Speaker 4: That's right, I know. Yeah, they just kind of paired it up, right, is that what they do?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I've all of my memories are vague, you know, because that empty whiskey belled all I mentioned I got. But now Reggie and I do a show around Christmas in Missoula every year, and it's become.
Speaker 1: That'd be a great show.
Speaker 2: It is the funnest it's it's so cool.
Speaker 4: It's really cool.
Speaker 5: And last time we did Bozman Amazula, yes, which is great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was the Beast Great Falls.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Great Falls was tough because it was like twenty eight below and shit.
Speaker 2: And I, as you recall, did not go as I was worried about driving in that weather.
Speaker 4: Not making it because you have to come back.
Speaker 5: Yes, you know, it's not like yeah, and there's no flights inside of Montana because that would be too convenient.
Speaker 2: When did you move to Great Falls?
Speaker 5: Nineteen seventy six, so most of your life you were there. Yeah, I was there from age four to sixteen. But prior to that four to eighteen.
Speaker 2: List all the places you lived because your your father was Air Force guy, right.
Speaker 5: My father was in the Force of the Airy space for he was he was a space forester.
Speaker 4: Yeah. This guy is just like, he's like, I'm just going to take your spot.
Speaker 1: Real slow and steady.
Speaker 4: I always I always do.
Speaker 5: That bumper to bumper. You're not getting the fuck in there because you're dumb. You should get the car behind you, get the space behind me. See that's how it feels. I'm already ahead of you, so that means to get the space behind me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, jerk object, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah Los Angeles. Yeah, well yeah. Plus we're filming a podcast.
Speaker 3: Yes, I want to see him chill and uh accessible, Yes, but the camera crew chill chilly.
Speaker 1: You know me, I let everybody merge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't care. I'm just like, you know, I'll get there.
Speaker 1: For her to emergency has her own lane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this person doesn't.
Speaker 5: I use the euro thing for when you communicate for someone to do something, which is the double double high being like just like and they're like, oh, that means go ahead. But and some people get it, and then some sometimes I do it and people just they just.
Speaker 4: Keep doing what they're doing, and I'm like.
Speaker 5: Oh, they must have thought I I wanted to use my turn signal but then didn't last minute and then kind of had a cramp and just want like, you know, like real quick, and they're like, that's just that was a mistake.
Speaker 2: Or they just think you're a truck driver warning them of police being around.
Speaker 5: The Oh that's true, Yeah, that is true. Yeah, like slow down, man, I just saw some police.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I always appreciate. I radioed me back behind and told me there's a there's.
Speaker 3: A brown bear on your back door.
Speaker 4: There's a brown bear.
Speaker 5: It's either there's a brown bear at your on your back porch or there's a cop up ahead, and it's hard to know which, but there's usually a spacing the gap between the two flashes.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's hard. You have to count it down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're just like okay, all right, but hey, man, what's up? Can you check my house?
Speaker 5: Because there's like, no, I'm not gonna check your house.
Speaker 4: For a bear.
Speaker 5: Oh I forgot that someone might not want to do that. Okay, I'll I'll call someone else yet, bear friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we when we did that show in Montana and you did the do you you probably don't remember when you provides an entire song. That's what's amazing about your act, but also must be is it ever frustrating that you couldn't recreate that's Smoky the bear you did arif he did a song about camping pack in what you pack out?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was the most genius moment. And that's what's so cool about your act is it's like, yeah, you have to see it in this moment because it's not happening again. Do you even remember what.
Speaker 4: You were Jesus now I don't.
Speaker 5: I mean I kind of remember it because I always allude to, you know something about that.
Speaker 2: Sure in the lyrics there were things that were talking points for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that I like talking about when I'm in Montana because it's like, well, here's my opportunity to talk about, you know, outdoor etiquette.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, finally.
Speaker 5: Yeah, finally, because these these Angelinos know nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, it's all just pent up outdoor knowledge that you've got to spit out. When you're up in Montana, It's like, what's a pine? This whole city doesn't even know what you're thinking of arts and crafts as a child, Jesus.
Speaker 3: The first time I saw you, Reggie, was at Bridgetown and we were we were on the same show. There were people and maybe you were one of them smoking pot backstage, and I got please don't apologize.
Speaker 1: I got the best contact hype.
Speaker 3: It was like just enough to go on stage with and have it be fun like it was this really good waiting backstage contact hype. But when I watched you, because I had heard your name but I'd never actually gotten to see you, I didn't understand what was happening for a while, and you started singing a.
Speaker 1: Song about how the moisture in the air causes your magazines to get moldie, and I was like, what, this is the best song I've ever heard.
Speaker 3: And then then like then it was like that delay where I'm like, oh, he's making this up.
Speaker 1: They it took me such a long time. Was the funniest It.
Speaker 2: Is your ability to convince people that you know exactly what you're doing in those moments where you absolutely don't have a plan. It's no one else.
Speaker 7: And the music is beautiful, like that song about the moisture in near molding things was like almost like heart wrenching beautiful where you're like, what's happening?
Speaker 4: Great? Thanks, It's a fun mode to go into on stage for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that song there you're smoking, the bear camping song I would have on my iTunes.
Speaker 4: Oh god, maybe you know what it might have been. When was it? Was it this last one time?
Speaker 2: No, it was like three Christmas. That's it just stands. It was the same show where you just went into industrial German like uh, skinny puppy type music or Romstein more. Yes, yeah, And I've never even seen you dip your toe into that world, so it was the best.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 5: That's always a fun thing to pull out because people are really not like I did. Actually at the Comedy Store this last couple of days ago. I started I started like the audience for some reason when I started doing like a rhythmic thing towards the end and had my gear up there. I was doing like a little beatboxy thing or whatever, and people started clapping along and I was like, oh no, that's the worst because they can't keep time right right, and.
Speaker 4: You know, just collectively they're not great at it.
Speaker 5: But then I was like, oh fuck it, I'll just go off their tempo, you know, and right, and then I like suggested what the vibe of the song was, which was like a little bit I started going into like you know, like rock guitar things were like.
Speaker 4: Whatever, we're like clapping, and then I just started over. I was like, god, lords, right now, this is the comedy store.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: Oh god, it was great. I love that shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When the time I saw you do it in Montana, I really thought you were doing it for me. Yeah, it is my favorite.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Oh my god, gosh, it's it's just it's just the best because it's like when people are just normal, they're just used to you being a particular way. That's the whole I mean, that's part of like what my whole show is is just subvert I mean, all comedy is subverting expectations. But it's like I really rely on it heavily. Sometimes when people get really comfortable, they're like, Okay, I know what this guy is doing, and then just don't then just take a one hundred and seventy degree turn and it's like what you start all over again? You know that is I'm like, I know, I know, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Guys, guys, I need to test your boundaries.
Speaker 4: Yeah sorry.
Speaker 3: I really love the idea of changing the rhythm of your song to the bad clapping because there's crowd clapping makes me so mad anytime it starts being like it's not your place. You don't know how to do it, Like no crowd has ever done it correctly.
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, it's it's just hard because you have a mixture of varying abilities and and and the aggregation of it is generally not very good. However, certain populations, you know, like I've been the you know, if you did it in Brazil, I'm sure it would be no problem.
Speaker 3: True, there are people who are kind of pay attention to it better.
Speaker 4: Maybe they're just there their society incorporates rhythm all the time.
Speaker 5: Like I bet your South America would be easy, you know, but there's just you know, the more north you go, the the less.
Speaker 4: There's just like this's just too much.
Speaker 5: Like I don't know, I kind of like music, you know, like that that kind of a I love I love boss gags what.
Speaker 4: They love it, but you.
Speaker 3: Know, and also the excitement of now I'm in the show, that you're no longer you're not focusing on your job of keeping time.
Speaker 1: You're just kind of like we're excited.
Speaker 3: And it's like, that's not the same kind of No.
Speaker 4: It's not. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just last night on my pocket computer, I saw a video of Harry Connick Junior playing a song and the audience was off with the clapping, and so he adjusted the song to it and you see him match it. And I don't know much about that time signatures, and I've said that before, Yes, today.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you for that. By the way, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I don't know you have the hat I announced what I don't know of and and time signatures are one of them. But yeah, I could tell that he slowed down his song and you see it sync up with the audience clapping, and then you could see them as they're clapping, kind of congratulating themselves because they thought they got into the rhythm, but he adjusted for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so true.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so tough when they man, what was it, I was maybe the Late Late Show or something like that where they told people not to clap when music is happening because it the edit. Yeah, and also it just kind of sucks for the performer because they it's like, you can do as long as it's like a simple thing like doom doom doom, you know, if it's like something like that, and the people on stage are kind of you know, the performers are moving in a big gesture that's like showing the time. People can usually hang in there. But yeah, it's it's very rare that I've ever I'm like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there it is. They totally locked into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not for more than like six beats, I think that's and then it just is like, well, here we go. There's somebody that has.
Speaker 2: To lead a little bit more at the bottom of the screen. There has to be in that little bouncing red mall. Yeah, yeah, yeah, totally don't let people know what to do.
Speaker 5: At least, they were clapping on twos and fours, which generally when I was at the Late Late Show, when people would clap along, they'd be going on ones and threes, which is like the unfunkiest beats to clap.
Speaker 2: On from what I know about times. Signature switches again, nothing that is frustrating that is right for it to be the threes, Yeah, because it's like.
Speaker 5: It's like one three one, and it's it's so like it's just it's not because like.
Speaker 4: If you're doing like if it's like.
Speaker 5: Dude, dude, and you're doing like dude, and then you change it to the point it feels completely different, it's way funkier, way better.
Speaker 3: One in three is unnatural. It's that's like it feels like preschool class.
Speaker 5: I know it is preschool clapping, but most audiences that's what they revert to.
Speaker 4: It's weird. Yeah, yeah, but there's.
Speaker 3: Always there's not in Brazil.
Speaker 1: We've got to go down there and study it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 3: And also there's because there's always like my friend Bradford calls them the dominant psycho where it's like here we go, like I know how to do this and I'm gonna lead it and it's just like my moment and it's probably genuinely enthua good vibe. Yeah, it's like this will help this whole idea.
Speaker 1: It's like, no, you're going against the idea.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I definitely don't discount I think people really do think they're doing something good, you know, like I'm participating and this is fine, and this is what happens.
Speaker 4: This is a live show. That's what we do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oftentimes while in an audience, I will take the role of clap fixer.
Speaker 4: Oh you will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's cool. Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 1: Matter of just do you just raise your hands up?
Speaker 2: I cut them so acoustically, I become louder. Even though I have these tiny little uh cookie jar grabbers. I can clap pretty loud if I I mean, we do it every time we record. You've heard out loud. I can click interesting to get everything.
Speaker 4: In between all the cameras and the and the.
Speaker 2: Audio, everything but full production.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I get it. It looks like you might have a flat tire.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That is the most ignored logo.
Speaker 4: That's my most feared logo.
Speaker 1: They even put an exclamation point in this one.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, you know what, not my problem, that's true, fix it yourself?
Speaker 4: Are you renting this?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: This serious? You just you just you still think that they are responsible.
Speaker 1: I have a real they mentality.
Speaker 3: It's like, get it, why don't my parents fill up the air and my tires type of thinking in middle.
Speaker 5: Age yeah, I get it. I get it, and I think that's somehow healthy.
Speaker 3: I think, thank you appreciate that. But I think also I've gone to like gas stations to put air in my tires, and I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure how to.
Speaker 4: Oh you think like maybe the sensor's broken, no, or.
Speaker 3: I just don't know there's a way to do it, and I've never been shown that way, so.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I don't even know how to do that with my When I get my oil change, I have to go back set the tire one to get.
Speaker 3: That crazy fucking thing off there where. It's like you're it's acting like I interpret it as my tire might explode, and I'm like, well, that's crazy the whole.
Speaker 2: They shouldn't have used an exclamation point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a little bit too. It's just too much.
Speaker 5: I just have had enough flat tires with my cars, which is such a bar I just hate it. It's like because I have low profile wheels like tires on both of my cars, and so they're a little bit more prone to getting damaged and so I'm not always just waiting for it and I'm just.
Speaker 4: Like no, no, no.
Speaker 5: It's just this weird psychological dread.
Speaker 1: Also lately, because we had those crazy.
Speaker 3: Storms, there's just fucking potholes everywhere in this town.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's the only reason to have a four wheel drive car is for street driving in Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: You're fine in the mountains without it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so true. Yeah, four wheel drives.
Speaker 2: But I've never I've ignored every warning light because I've throughout my whole life, I've always had cars where just lights are on the dash because I jump started someone once. Oh yeah, and it blew out some fuses and so now I have a vibrant, colorful dash. So but in this car, it's not just the explanation point. I feel like, because it's a nice new car, we when we're done recording, I will go with you.
Speaker 3: We will will take a look. Yeah yeah, I mean I look at the tires and one doesn't seem any lower than the others or flatter or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then.
Speaker 5: It's you'd be surprised, like the tires like, well, they'll retain they'll retain their shape, but they'll still be low, which is kind of Yeah. I've noticed on my like my cars, they if the tires fly, you can barely tell if it's fun. It would have to be like zeroed in order for it to collapse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those low pro those low pros.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the low pros because they have a tougher sidewall, so the sidewall maintains rigidity longer. But like, yeah, the on a car like this, you've got like kind of normal wheels, so you might be able to tell, but.
Speaker 3: So kind of we could be really on the verge of serious danger right now.
Speaker 4: There could be some serious, huge, massive danger.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't be a do night, Do you need a rip? What just happened to me? Do Night? I said? Do you night? And Roy episode without danger ro they rot? Otherwise you don't thank you. See if I had you, if I had your back every time, I would never sound like an idiot.
Speaker 4: See, come on, it takes a willage.
Speaker 2: Well, I ordered one of those little it looks like a walkie talkie but it fills up tires with air, and on my bike, I'm fine with it. But the minute I hooked it up to my car, all of a sudden, this this montage of different viral videos I've seen of tires exploding in faces.
Speaker 4: Are you serious. I don't know why I'm scared, because I've I've done that. Well.
Speaker 5: I have like I have like a bunch of portable compressors, you know, and they you just set the amount that you do and you just like you know, plug it in or whatever and you just turn it.
Speaker 4: On just walk away.
Speaker 2: Well okay, so I don't I just don't need to be it'll stop.
Speaker 5: Well, it'll stop, yeah, yeah, yeah, as long as it has like as long as you have the kind that like you put in the amount of pressure you want, right, well, then you just walk away.
Speaker 2: I think the problem with my You can choose bike, you can choose for not Frisbee.
Speaker 4: You know those choose Frisby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, is it because I have it on air Frisby film Frisbee.
Speaker 5: Frisbee it's a film about a dog air Frisbee, yeah, or a German film about it an inventor of a magical task.
Speaker 2: But I didn't realize I could put it on the car icon and just walk away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: I don't need to stare with my face at the tire six inches away.
Speaker 1: Get your face out of there, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I dam it in the wheel well and they're so loud.
Speaker 4: It's like.
Speaker 2: This is a little guy, that's why.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're really loud. Yeah they're so small. They make they're smaller and smaller, but it just takes them a long time to fill it up.
Speaker 4: That's why I bought this.
Speaker 5: I haven't used it yet, but it's a it's a double chambered compressor.
Speaker 4: So and it doesn't you came to plug it into a wall. You have to plug you have to hook it up to your car battery.
Speaker 5: Wow, so you have to put it on your man's Like even on an electric car, you can access the terminals and so you just you click it to the terminals.
Speaker 4: And then and then you and then you fill up your tire.
Speaker 5: It's like meant for like off road, you know, vehicles where people depressurize for going off road, you know, and then they repressurize when they're not highway again. And so it's fast. You can fill up your tire in like a minute. It's like super fast. And that's all I wanted. I wanted just I was tired of like and then I like go into my house and I can still here and I'm there for like ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I clearly just didn't leave it on long enough. It takes so long that it takes like, clearly this has been ten minutes. This is going to explode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I know, because it's so tiny.
Speaker 2: Okay, like all the other voices, I'm going to ignore that one in my head.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, that's when you can take off the list.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love this very specific expertise that you have, very impressive.
Speaker 2: I've seen you in your talk gadgets and cars in your act, and everyone's fascinated. Actual information is being given.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 5: I do love I do love trying to like when people are like not into something you know or like, or they seem uninterested in a bit of technology, or they're like I just give up on like that, that's where I come in. I'm just like, no, actually, it's it's it's not that hard. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I just love that I saw you stick to your guns so much that a lot of Bozeman is now looking into electric cars because of you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so awesome. Yeah I know, I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah you really and convince me too, because that's what I'm holding out for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my electric cars are great and they're coming down press too. The Bulbo just announced that X thirty just now. It's like a really tiny suv and they have an off road version coming out and it's only like forty grand.
Speaker 2: Have you done any reading up on the Pollster.
Speaker 5: Oh, the Polestar, Yeah, Polestar, Yeah, Polestar, which Polestar two, the two? Yeah, the two is great. It's a really cool car.
Speaker 2: Yeeahs. So you support me having dreams of getting.
Speaker 4: Oh, pollsters are great. Yeah, they're super environmental, told you Karen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I've never heard of Pulsar, Polster pull Star.
Speaker 2: There's just a logo. There's no text anywhere on it. Then now they have some little helvetica about down by the back.
Speaker 4: By the sensors.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and near the sensors. Said, and so I actually it's just a company like Tesler.
Speaker 4: It's a Volvo.
Speaker 5: It's a Pulvo Performinglvo. It's like it's a performance brand for Volvo.
Speaker 2: I'm I love the way it looks.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's a simple, boxy like if you ask a kid to draw a car, it has that in shape.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very very Swedish.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's very like it's just sensible but elegant in the very kind of light classical ways.
Speaker 2: I knew you would sell me on it and it would sound it would have the words straight out of the catalog.
Speaker 5: It's it's great post Pollstar is great and super environmental. They they're trying to do full closed loop manufacturing, meaning they can recycle all of their cars, like almost like many percent of their cars can be recycled. They let they label all the metals, the different types of metals they use in the car are all labeled, and so when the car comes back to them, if it's total or something like that, they can fully pull it apart and they can reclaim all the all the materials.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's really really great company and it and it's just a great car. Electric cars are so easy, so easy to maintain. You know, I have to worry about tires, that's it. Apparently not everybody worries about tires, so you know, so I guess you have no worries, just no worries whatsoever.
Speaker 3: What I'm really impressed by, and I thought it would be the opposite, is its.
Speaker 1: Car is insanely fast.
Speaker 4: Oh it's crazy.
Speaker 3: And when I first got it, I would be at like stop lights and like BMW's would pull up and rev their engine and want.
Speaker 1: To race me to the next light.
Speaker 2: See if it the zero does take steak and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I was like oh okay, and I would just be like blowing people out of the water or like you know on you.
Speaker 2: Will you've been street racing.
Speaker 3: Well lightly, I mean just to be like if you would like to do this surfe yeah, yeah, just like if you're going to.
Speaker 1: Force my hand.
Speaker 3: Now I beat you at this, And it's so fun. It's like the pick up, especially compared to the car I had before to pick up like getting out of the free or anything, there's it's like easy.
Speaker 1: It becomes so stress free.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's like the closest thing you can feel to being a superhero. Yeah, you know where you're like I need to get over there. Oh I'm over there.
Speaker 3: But you also don't feel because of the compression. I drive it in the compression mode, so you don't feel out of control, like the second you take your foot off the gas, you're slowing down.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, you mean the regenerative breaking yeah yeah yeah yeah, and I don't in this car.
Speaker 4: Can you set the levels of it I believe.
Speaker 5: And I used to have a Tesla Model S and a P eighty five D and after that, and you could set the Regen level. But then I rented a three recently and I couldn't figure out how to set the regent level. So I was wondering, like maybe Tesla was like, fuck it just one Regen level for all of our cars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been He's had a real fucking attitude lately.
Speaker 1: He has been focusing on the wrong things, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: What the hell is this good speaking and focusing on the wrong things. I hope you hit that curb. Actually, that was some impress was dumb, dumb until I saw him confidently take that turn. Now I like him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now he's now, he's gettable. Now he's in charge. That guy's Charles.
Speaker 2: I am. I am confronted after this. You guys would be so mad if you saw my tires Right now. People flag me down and tell me that they're low strangers.
Speaker 4: I know, Jesus, I know I might have a compressor you can borrow. I have a better compressor.
Speaker 2: I think you definitely have because I have like five. It's so are you still doing your watts.
Speaker 5: App that it still exists, but it's not there's no updates to it or anything. The guy that was kind of managing it or overlooking it or whatever the fuck he he Well, he.
Speaker 4: Was just too much money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I really wasn't using the app, you know. Yeah, I wanted it. I was trying to make it like, this is my content on my app, you know. Yeah, guys follow you know, follow my app or ever, and and it just I don't know, I just didn't have the team to like make it a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Also, I'd like to apologize for never doing you wanted artwork for it, and I just never did it for WhatsApp. Oh You're like, I want a T shirt and I'm like, okay, I can do that. Oh right, I just went on a bike.
Speaker 5: It's totally okay because it didn't really matter it turns out. So, I mean someday, I mean it still exists, so it's in the app store, I think, hopefully indefinitely, but maybe I'll be able to do something with it in the future.
Speaker 2: Well, I still my offer still stands.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, if I get back on it, I will let you know.
Speaker 3: I feel like, yeah, you should definitely go, sir, Yeah you should.
Speaker 1: I mean that was your right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, some of that sweet sweet Dodgers traffic, baseball. It's America's reason for stopping in the street.
Speaker 4: Oh there's the Elliott Smith wall. Yeah, they kept it.
Speaker 2: There's times I've walked past it and I'm in a pretty good mood by this Mexican restaurant. Well not now that I'm seeing it's closed.
Speaker 4: Closed, that's so crazy.
Speaker 2: But then I get bummed out when I go past that wall. I'm not kidding. There was like a feeling that overcame me, and then I realized it's because it's the Elliott Smith wall.
Speaker 4: Because of Elliott Smith.
Speaker 2: It's a sad wall.
Speaker 4: R RSP. What's now? Just when someone dies?
Speaker 2: Oh? Respect, mad mad respect.
Speaker 3: Respect, infuriated respect towards you and your memory.
Speaker 2: I'm flousy with respect for.
Speaker 1: That guy, Regie. Do have anything that you want to table plug get.
Speaker 2: Out emotionally, information wise, just anything.
Speaker 4: Oh I have a book coming out.
Speaker 2: Oh please let it be about Montana.
Speaker 4: It's well, it's called Great Falls Month.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, it's just an autobiography and focuses primarily on Great Falls, my upbringing there, and then like mostly about my high school experiences. It goes a little bit into Seattle, Seattle and a little bit into New York.
Speaker 2: But oh yeah, you went to the famed Art Institute, a place where in high school I wanted to go so bad and learn how to airbrush milkshakes or whatever I saw on the brochure. And they had a program. When I was seventeen, I went to like a week long camp and you went there and you took classes. I think it was my parents letting me know, we cannot afford this school, but you can go to the Fantasy Camp. And it was one of the best experiences of my life.
Speaker 4: It was so cool.
Speaker 2: We're just there for a week, and I wanted to go there so badly. But it was around that time, shortly after you were probably in the building doing musica.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't know they did all that. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was the coolest thing ever.
Speaker 1: Wait, so was it high school or a college level college? College?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was, I was still in high school. It was the coolest thing ever. I wonder if they still do that. I kept in touch with all the kids I met. It was like one of those first times I was like without my parents on a road trap with other kids.
Speaker 4: I felt so all that feels always so awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then to land at art like an art school or an art camp where like I got to go to one of those one year and it was just mayhem and kind of like we went to a small school, so it was like kids from the city teaching us how to be like drama nerds or like art, you know what I mean. Like it was just kind of like, oh, this is how you do it, like listen to the smiths and you have to get a certain kind of haircut, and yeah, get your sailor stripe, sailor shirt, and you know, be an individual, get into mime. It was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was it the best. Right when we arrived, we were all on a bus. They were shooting a movie and it was actually a sunny day in Seattle, but for the movie they had to make it look rainy, so there was just this giant shade and fake rain coming down, and we saw they were just filming two guys walking on a sidewalk, and then we turned and then it wasn't till a couple of years later it was that scene and when Harry met Sally or sorry Sleepless in Seattle, of course, where there was an actual scene and it was from the vantage point of frat of exactly where we were. I'm not I'm not fully convinced. I wasn't a camera person on that movie, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah it is possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was in the Union.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a parody of information. Yeah, I'm always on it in the Onion, but it was, Yeah, it was. I saw that scene.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It was. I'm not here to brag.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, it's it's not I don't think it's bragging. If it happened to you, yeah, it's real. Yeah, if it's real, it's not a brag.
Speaker 3: Did you find it like easy to write a book or was it did you have to really sit down and focus?
Speaker 5: Well, I worked with a phantom writer, so I all I did was sit back, tell stories. That's great, relive my thing, and then the phantom writer would just kind of ask questions.
Speaker 2: You know, And is that the same as a ghost writer or what is it. What's the difference between phantom and ghost Well.
Speaker 4: Phantom is like like a better ghost writer.
Speaker 2: Okay, slightly scar I mean in the spiritual realm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just more powerful.
Speaker 5: Okay, wow, yeah, phantoms are way more probably, I mean, I mean the highest level you can get is a wraith writer.
Speaker 1: Yes, but the screaming, oh my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a lot of wailing and teeth all the sided die Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a lot of yeah, a lot of die rolling.
Speaker 5: And it's just like every decision you make, it's like, let's consult the.
Speaker 1: Die please, no not again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly when is your what come out? Because that's a book I will read. I don't make that threat ever.
Speaker 4: Yes, I get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's October seventeenth, and it's available on pretty much wherever books are sold. But you can pre order it, pre order it on Oh there's a two here you go, it's your pollstar.
Speaker 4: Oh well see yeah, nice get one.
Speaker 5: Yeah it's available, yeah, you know, like on Amazon. You can pre order it nice and might be able to pre order in other places too.
Speaker 4: And then I'm going to do an audiobook for it as well.
Speaker 2: Oh and of course do the Karen you did that as well, Right, you did the voiceover for your own book?
Speaker 1: We did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll be fun.
Speaker 4: Was it fun?
Speaker 1: It was fun.
Speaker 3: It was a little What's funny is when I would go to say it read something I'd written. I felt like it was this third person separate, so I was kind of like, is this the voice I.
Speaker 1: Should be using? It was weird.
Speaker 3: It was kind of like going to read a thing and feeling like I'm clicking into yet another part of my personality to be the reader.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazy when the character is you and you don't know if you're right for the part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, like I'm definitely not getting this addition. No, you got it, and you have to do it. That's the bad man.
Speaker 4: Wow, I do love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I mean, maybe what I'm saying is I was dissociating while I was doing it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's so exciting. And when I said I'd read the book, I'm going to wait for the audio version because I want you to read me the book, Reggie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, well yeah, hopefully I'll do an okay job.
Speaker 4: I wanted to a first time.
Speaker 5: Wanted to have Fred Armison read it because I was just I thought it would be funny to have someone else read my book.
Speaker 4: Yes, narrate my book, I should say, but.
Speaker 2: No, that's a job. I can't wait. Yep.
Speaker 4: In an old school cop car that's kind rare. They're always usually scvs, so it's always and I'm like, that's not right. That's a movie cop.
Speaker 2: For all I know. That's someone that just bought a used cop car. I don't even think you have to spray paint it black anymore. You can just buy them. Yeah, And it's so confusing and frustrating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know that is. It's especially when they leave the searchlight on it. Yes, it happens all.
Speaker 2: It does happen all the time, civilians out there pretending to be cops and they don't get in trouble. But when I wear a badge at the mall, yeah.
Speaker 5: This should be the one place that you should be able to kind of do badges. I got a badge recently for what we blow. Yeah, we below. It's like it's like, well, why why aren't you above? But yeah, it's no. It's a it's called the eleven ninety nine Foundation, and they you kind of donate to a police organization called eleven nine nine Foundation, and they give you this license plate bracket it says eleven ninety nine, and then they give you this really cool bronze badge that's in like a like a wallet like a badge comes.
Speaker 2: In and it looks real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it has your name on it, it has your member number.
Speaker 2: Have you misused it yet to get what you want?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, I guess the idea is if you were ever caught speeding in California, like on the highway, and you get pulled over by a highway patrol, the license first, hopefully they'll see the license plate.
Speaker 4: Brun.
Speaker 2: It's so funny that you and then you have your badge. I the sheriffs when I lived in Austin, the sheriffs used to cold call. I'd answer the phone and they're like, do you want to donate? And they'd be really aggressive, and I got intimidated once and I donated, and they sent me a sticker and I put it on my car, and then they would like badger me every year to donate again. I'm like, there's other things I feel much more strongly about. But I got. I got for speeding in a school zone. I wasn't even going that fast and the guy was screaming at me, and then he saw that sticker and I thought he was going to invite me over for dinner. It not only did get me out of a ticket. I had a friend I didn't want for life. Wow, but it did. It did?
Speaker 4: I wish they would have gave me a sticker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really does.
Speaker 5: Because because you know, the license plate bracket is it's cool, but I would rather have a sticker and just have a regular, like a normal licensed plate bracket because it does kind of fuck with the color of my car, right.
Speaker 1: The aesthetics get fucked up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I kind of, I kind of, you know, because it's just like it's just silver, and like my it just looks better when you have that black license plate, like just by itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on there.
Speaker 2: I do appreciate that. On all your cars, you've had that Dead Kennedy's sticker yep. Is it on your new car too?
Speaker 4: Yeah? On both my car.
Speaker 3: Can'd imagine if you were pulled over by a cop who also like the Dead Kennedy, you'd be said, yeah, it'd.
Speaker 2: Be great, both of his worlds colliding. It would blow his mind.
Speaker 5: It's like, yeah, and I have only only the only other sticker I have on there is another band called Nice, and uh that's it.
Speaker 4: Those are my only stickers.
Speaker 1: Nice Nice, Nice Nice.
Speaker 2: Well, this isn't your house, but we're gonna drop you off.
Speaker 4: That's really sweet. You guys are so incredibly sweet.
Speaker 2: You're the incredibly sweetest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much for doing this.
Speaker 4: This was awesome.
Speaker 5: As Floork, I'll d MIC and then I'll see what you guys look like from the front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't it? Is it weird that you're in a podcast where you don't see her face.
Speaker 5: I kind of like, I like, like, well, maybe I should just get out and just like.
Speaker 4: I'll never know if it was actually those people. Yeah, sounds sounded sound like you.
Speaker 2: You get out and you just have this long kink tony tail ship, you know, front car. Oh my god, I'll see you in Montana and I assume you mentioned me in your book. Yes, I open doors. I know. I don't know how much you look terrific? It is you, Hi, buddy, Hey, good to see if hel I like that sweater. I like that guy, me too.
Speaker 1: Fun.
Speaker 2: I kept slubbing my words.
Speaker 1: Oh you want to wrap it up?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I guess we should between you and I though. Oh yeah, still recording you've been listening to. Do you need a ride? Do you why in a well maybe not in this neighborhood. You should not. I don't think so. This has been an exactly right product.
Speaker 1: Produced by Analise Nelson.
Speaker 2: Mixed by Edson Choi.
Speaker 3: Our talent booker is Patrick Cootner.
Speaker 2: Theme song by Karen Kilgarrett.
Speaker 3: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks. Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y nar Podcast.
Speaker 2: For more information, go to exactly rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Oh You're welcome