Speaker 1: The volume are Week twelve Reaction presented by Uber Eats gets game day deals all season long on Uber eats. It's time to look at this weekend's tastiest matchup on Sunday Night Football, brought to you by Uber Eats. All right, we're going to have an hour and a half with John Middelcoff tonight, but I was going to just talk about the Eagles thrashing the Rams tonight in Los Angeles. It feels inevitable. Philadelphia and Detroit in the NFC Championship. Those are stack rosters. The Rams actually have a great coach, excellent quarterback, nice weapons, and a really strong defensive front. And it was completely worked tonight. Almost five hundred yards for the Eagles, two hundred and fifty five yards for Saquon Barkley. The Eagles offensive line and the Lions offensive line are so much better than the rest of the NFL. Well, I four of the five Eagle o linemen I think could get honors, just dominating performance. And again the Rams have some talented young guys up front, you know, and a lot of this Howie Roseman, the GM this league is front offices are so important. Teams like Cincinnati just don't make deals, and so it's Joe Burrow a couple of your receivers and they're just a limited roster. Philadelphia is constantly trade deadline, usually not necessarily this year, but big players at the trade deadline, off season, free agency, Draft Day deals, and you see the value of it. I mean, even without Devonte Smith at wide receiver because he's banged up, they lost Sleigh the corner during the game. In every unit. The Eagles have a great, great player. And you know, I talked about this before the season. I said, the eye idea of letting your best player go the New York Giants to go to the Eagles is insane. I mean, can you imagine you know, I know it's not perfectly analogous, but the Chiefs, you know, letting the Chargers have Mahomes in his prime. Now the Chargers have their own quarterback, but the best player on the New York Giants was allowed to go to their primary rival. Saquon Barkley. Think about this, has twelve touchdowns this year, the Giants have sixteen, last in the NFL. Saquon has ten plays this year of thirty plus yards. That's the same as the entire New York Giants offense. Giants let him walk. I think there's an argument MVP this year. Boy after tonight. I mean, Rookie of the Year has got to be bow Knicks at least offensive rookie of the Year. I would not have a problem with Saquon Barkley being MVP. I would have no problem. I mean, the guy is he is separated from the league at running back again. McCaffrey last year fully healthy, but McCaffrey this year is not the same. Yeah, Saquon Barkley is. There's just nothing like him. I mean, every single carry looks like he's one broken tackle from going the distance, and he did it, you know, twice the night. Saquon Barkley is on pace to set the NFL rushing record and scrimmage yards record. So if you're thinking to yourself, man, he's having like a incredible year. Yeah, the most incredible year ever potentially for Saquon Barkley. It has like a KD to the Warriors feel where you're looking at a team that's good enough to win the title and she's like, you know, we're just gonna we're gonna throw in this guy that is you know the best at his position, and he'll finally actually have teammates that can help him, and you know, a staff that can help him, and a quarterback who's a threat to run as well, so you can't just hone in on him. It's just insane. And by the way, the other player the Giants let go was a safety who now leads the NFL, and interceptions got the Giants are so poorly run. But you know, Barkley, I've said before, I think the best running back I ever saw was Walter Payton, Barry Sanders probably too Christian McCaffrey's dexterity and his ability to do so many things probably puts him third. But McCaffrey does not look the same this year, and instead Saquon Barkley was always an excellent player, but he is and there's no other way to say this. His ability to start and stop has improved. He's just faster and quicker this year. And you know, there are just certain things. Remember a couple of years ago when the Lions drafted Jamiir Gibbs the running back, and people crushed them for it, but their offensive line was so good it was guaranteed to be productive and as you've seen, the Lions just run over people. That's the thing about Saquon Barkley. I mean, look how productive he was with the Giants offensive line. And the other thing the Eagles have that the Giants didn't. The Eagles have star receivers on the outside of a j Brown's remarkable, so it forces safeties not to cheat and they can't cheat inside the box. So you just knew it was going to be incredibly remarkably productive for the Philadelphia Eagles. And I don't know what the New York Giants do with their football operation, but their front office just doesn't know what the hell they're doing. And the Eagles is arguably the best, and Detroit's is excellent, and Kansas City's excellent, and that's why those teams were at the top of the league. It's not just the coach at the quarterback the Lions right now, the Eagles with Howie Roseman, Kansas City, Buffalo's got a very very good front office, and they just take advantage of the weaker teams and the less capable front offices. So I love watching Philadelphia play. You know, I've got my questions regarding Nick Sarianni, but as I've said people do learn on the job, and that's okay too. Not everybody's Andy Reid or Sean Payton. Some guys are learning on the job. McDonald the coach for the Seahawks, or Mike McDaniel the coach for the Dolphins, you know, everybody. Mike McDaniel is a really smart guy. He'd never been a head coach. There's some things you don't know how to do until you do them. And so I think Mike McDaniel with Miami Dolphins are a fascinating team right now. They I mean that game with New England was weird. New England had played well, that wasn't even competitive three drives in. So I just I think Philadelphia and Detroit it feels inevitable. I mean, San Francisco is not the same team. Washington's cooled off Rams. You know again, Rams have some good players. The Rams need a left tackle, a boundary receiver and a corner and the quarterback for the future. They probably have two more years of Stafford, but they couldn't compete tonight. You know what's interesting is the Eagles are last in the NFL in first quarter scoring and first and second half scoring. Well, what does that tell you the first quarter the Rams were good, why scheming mcvaigh Stafford. But the Rams in the second half, they just get worn down. They don't have the personnel. So the Eagles are a great second half team because they just wear you down. Their offensive line wears you down. And you saw it the first half. The Rams were very competitive, but they just don't have the personnel over the course of four hours to compete with Philadelphia. So you know, that's my problem with Philadelphia as I just think I think their talent's remarkable, and I think sometimes they're under coached. It's very, very weird that you just don't score in the first quarter when you have the best offensive line or second best offensive line in football, two star receivers, the best current running back, a more than capable quarterback. You average seven and a half yards per play tonight, and you can't you can't dynamic in the first quarter. That's a scheming issue. But by Philadelphia is something else to watch. They are fun to watch because even though Detroit's a powerhouse offensively, there's just something about Saquon Barkley and AJ Brown and Jalen Hurts. There's just a lot you get the steak and you get the sizzle with the Philadelphia Eagles. And I've been saying this for the last couple of weeks. I felt like Buffalo, Kansas City, and the Lions where the Super Bowl teams put Philadelphia in that group. There are four teams now that feel like they have separated from the pack. I thought tonight's Eagle performance was really impressive. Fly cross country against a great quarterback and a great coach and a really good young defensive line for the Rams, and they were manhandled, literally manhandled. Fly Eagles Fly. The NFL season's rolling along. The contenders are separating from the pack. The one thing that hasn't changed this season. DraftKings sports Book and official sports book partner of the NFL are friends at the volume. It's the number one place to bet touchdowns. Fade to the corner of the end zone, running back breaks through the line, gallop sixty yards for a touchdown. They don't care how you get them. They want to bet on touchdowns and you should at DraftKings the best place to do it. If you're ready to place your first bet. Make it simple. A player scoring a touchdown, just go to DraftKings Sportsbook app takes ninety seconds. Download it. Make your pick. Here's a reason new customers do a touchdown. Dance on your own bet five bucks, that's it, and get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets if your bet wins. Score big. DraftKings Sportsbook number one place to bet touchdowns. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app and use the code colin cli got to use the code coli in get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets if your bet wins betting just five bucks only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 2: Gambling problem called one night hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight hope and why, or text hope and why four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in Resorting, Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bet must win to receive reward. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue ins Four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG, dot co slash ft ball.
Speaker 1: All Right. Time for another Sunday hour and a half pod with John Middlecoff, former NFL scout. I don't remember having a Sunday where I was on the wrong side of virtually everything except the Broncos game. What a crazy Every favorite I like, every dog, I like, fail to cover every favorite I was gunshy on covered. Let's start with Green Bay thirty eight, San Francisco ten.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: I mean, when you knew it was troubles Out brought pretty out Trent Out, But as I was watching this, it was more than that, because, I mean Green Bay gave them opportunities. I think you have to have a hard look in the mirror, and it's hard in the NFL when you still have really good people in the locker room. I think this franchise needs a complete reboot. If you look at the Detroits, the Green Bays, Buffalo, Kansas City, the Chargers are up and coming. San Francisco is like an old fighter, John, They're like an old boxer. Last year, you know they were hanging on, had one last good fight. Stop drafting receivers, rebuild the O lines and D lines, Bosa's hurt, Kittle's hurt, McCaffrey's hurt. You know this organization well, but listen, Green Bay was going to win this game. You could tell two series in. I think San Francisco has to hyper aggressively reboot the franchise.
Speaker 3: Well, it's tough. You're paying all these guys all this money. They've recently best I think the best thing that could happen to them, because they're not making the playoffs. Keep losing these games. I said, you know, today was not a great day for Dallas, Like they're not going to the playoffs. You win and ruin your draft position. If you're the forty nine ers, you want to be drafting seventh, not fifteenth, right because we know quarterbacks usually go and that gives you an opportunity to get one of the best players on the board. They played Buffalo next week, that's a loss. You know, the Rams, they still play the Cardinals, like they could lose these games, and I would imagine they do. So, I mean, I think you're looking at at at best a seven win team, and I think right now, you know, not winning maybe one more game the rest of the season. This pretty thing was well reported today like they're not even sure what's going on. Bosa hurt one hip that he heard another Trent's just a weathered, you know, older player that this team, you know, what they need, They kind of need to get bounced in the first round or I mean, and you know, not even make it to the first round of the playoffs and get extra time off and get to reset. It happened to the Warriors. Remember they had twenty twenty. Twenty twenty was really rough couple of years. Then they were fresh than they won a champion.
Speaker 1: Well remember the Niners' last Super Bowl loss went six and ten were injury ravaged.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I to me, the best easiest way for them to get players. They're not gonna have a lot of cap space because of all the big cap you know hits they have with players, is to have like the eighth pick in the draft, because it's not just the first round, it's every round, and they've proven to be able to draft really well in the fourth, fifth, sixth round. When you're drafting in the top ten, you know, there aren't really many excuses to miss, like when they're drafting in the late twenties. So I think the best case scenario roll out. The team they're rolling out, and they're gonna their schedule is hard. I mean they still play the Dolphins, who look good right now. Obviously they got the Bills next week. They're just gonna naturally lose a lot of games, which I think is really gonna benefit them long term.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's interesting. I was watching Caleb Williams, who was just he's such a talented guy. Boone Nicks looks fantastic. Jaden Daniels has hit the cliff Kingsbury wall, you know, around Thanksgiving. Even in college, his teams tended to swoon late and I looked at rock Perty. They're gonna keep him right. I mean, you can't pay him fifty million, but they're gonna broke her a deal here probably in the forties. Is that what you think?
Speaker 3: Do they do? They have to? Though? Colin, what? Why? Why are we always in such a rush? Like he's he's not struggling to put food on the table. He's making millions of dollars off the field. It's an incredible spot for him with Kyle if you win six or seven games and listen, this hasn't been his fault necessarily, But why are we in a rush to spend fifty million when clearly what there are four or five guys in the league that you feel really good about it, and then the next five guys making that much money or somewhat of a roller coaster. Yeah, I would have no problem giving him that. I don't know Kirk Cousins, Daniel Jones eighty ninety and everyone's like, well he'll never take that, Well, then we won't do a deal. You know, if he would have got me back to the NFC Championship game this year, you wouldn't have had a choice. But they're not sniffing the playoffs. He's injured. Now we're playing it out Like the problem with Dallas playing it out is you knew how it was going to play out. Why can't we just take a deep breath and see how see what happens? Where is he going? Yeah, well it's a better situation. Who's who's lining up one, he's not a free agent, but who's lining up on the open market to give him, let's just say, one hundred and fifty million dollars a year? Who you bigging against? So they regret the IU contract, they have to if they could do that over again, they would have traded him before the draft. I mean, there's not even so let's take a deep breath, let's just play it out, and that that's what I I would say. Most of my life, what up until the last four or five years, that's usually how business used to happen. Unless your name was like Peyton Manning or Ladanian Tomlinson or some like all time great player. Most players usually had to fight for their cash. And now, just because the league's flush with it, we just give it away. And again I have no problem giving it to the elite guys. Hell, Trent Williams, you need a boost, I'll give you a boost. Rock Perty, Like, let's just take a deep breath, everybody. And that's been my stance all along, is why can't What was the rush to pay Trevor Lawrence? Does any team regret a contract more than the Jags, Like five weeks into the contract, at least two of has proven like, but again, Tua's not making two hundred.
Speaker 1: Plus try out, that's right.
Speaker 3: So and the party thing was being talked about, well, it's the Trevor Lawrence and it's like, well, if I'd give him one hundred and forty million dollars right now. But that's not what the ballpark that has been discussed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's such a big decision. I'd peel off some of the players. I would have moved off Deebo last year. I wouldn't have paid Ayuk. I think they've been a little negligent on the offensive line. They've they've attacked the defensive line. I think they've been a bit negligent on the offensive line.
Speaker 3: I just don't They're not Colin, They're not negligent. They've been Kyle and the offensive line coach have been open about their philosophical belief of skill players are more important than offensive lineman.
Speaker 1: Oh, you can tell they believe.
Speaker 3: In that zone scheme that I can take mainly average guys. Obviously Trent is their outlier. But how'd they get Trent? They got him for a third round pick, right, and the only reason he didn't go to Minnesota who was offering way mor Is he refused to go there because he wanted to play for his guy, Kyle. So they've openly said, yeah, we don't take offensive lineman if we believe a skill guy's on the board higher the football I was around growing up, you know with coach Hill, who came from Belichick, and then Andy Reid and Howie Roseman, they would laugh at that they would take offensive lineman in the first round and then they take him again in the second round.
Speaker 1: Well, the Texan should have attacked the offensive line, not Stefan Diggs. And by the way, Jim Harbaugh had a choice, he took Joe alt Over. I was told he wanted Brian Thomas to get from LSU. So I mean, I think you can find receivers anywhere. I think it's very hard to find elite tackles out of the first round. Okay, overtime Minnesota thirty Bears twenty seven. Both quarterbacks played well. I'll get to Caleb in a second. I thought Sam Darnold got hurt, came back overtime, some big time throws Sam twenty two to thirty four, three hundred plus yards, a couple of touchdowns. Vikings had it won multiple times in the fourth quarter. Let it slip away. But my takeaway on this is it's not just that Sam is gonna win like comeback player of the year.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 1: I think you have to take Minnesota. I mean, they're not as good as Detroit I think they can play with anybody, including Philadelphia and the NFC. Like I just think the Vikings are a real team.
Speaker 3: Well, their offenses so botent, I mean at any moment. I mean, Jefferson is one of the best players in the league any position. And how good is Jordan Addison if he's going to be your number two? And that nailor guy, I don't even know much about him. He makes plays every time I watch him play. Their running game, they're offensive coaching. You know, Sam's arm is just big, so you know in terms of explosive plays, and defensively, they don't have like I would say, excellent players like they did in the peak of the Zimmer days when Kendrick and Harrison Smith and some of their pass rushers were in the prime of their career. But we all agree that he's one of the better defensive schemers in the league. So from a coaching standpoint high end, are they the sneakiest nine to two team in the history of the league. Well, yeah, because because they're not going to win the division right and more than likely I guess they only have They're only one game behind, but they'll be the fifth seed. But they will have consistently played pretty well. I mean today, let's face I mean took an onside kick with twenty seconds left for them to get in position to right kick a field goal, like they should have won that game in regulation. What what percentage time does an onside kick hit?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Two percent? Not even?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I think you know, one of the things with Minnesota, it's like, you know, they were zero for five in the red zone against Jacksonville. They had today's game wrapped up. They they're just not talented enough to make mistakes. Like Detroit didn't play brilliant football today, went on the road and beat a pretty decent Colts team in front of a tough environment, And it's like, that's a great team. I mean, I think I think Detroit, if you look at they look like the Moss Brady Patriots. Like Minnesota's a good team. The margins are tighter. And again, but I think you have to we have to be honest about this whole Sam Darnold thing. JJ McCarthy's team. Next year, Sam is going to have an absolute market. I don't think there's any question.
Speaker 3: Are we sure? Though? Because what do you do if, let's say, all of a sudden you're in the NFC championship game against the Detroit Lions, and you've beaten let's say, you know, the Falcons in the first round, and then you take out the whoever, maybe the Eagles in the second round. I don't know exactly how the seating would play out. And then you lose the tight game to Detroit. Maybe you lose by a couple touchdowns. But Sam has multiple playoff victories and you just watch them and you think like you do when you watch Jared Goff, like he's solid, he's a winning player. He's not obviously he's gonna make some mistakes. He's different than Jared, But you know what I mean, a couple of years ago, it is pretty clear, like you can win with this guy if you build a good team. They build a good team. And especially if what if he wins a playoff game, a starting left tackle who's like the young Trent Williams of the league is gone. So and today the guy that trade for gets herd and as Quisenberry comes in, I mean, that's just a lot of moving parts. Well, what does he bring to the table. He can move around, So I the Vikings would like pay millions of dollars to know that JJ McCarthy is gonna look like Sam Darnold in two years, let alone next year. There's no guarantee. How often do we see these young players but never materialize in anything.
Speaker 1: But you'd have to pay Sam, and you get.
Speaker 3: I understand that. But I'm just saying it's you just let him go when you've proven that you can win with him, and it's not like he's a thirty six year old or thirty eight year old.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven or twenty eight, isn't he.
Speaker 3: I think it puts you in a precarious spot if you have playoff. I think it's easy if you're one and done, it's an easy transition you win a playoff game or two. I think the conversations just get a little more serious, which I'm sure they've been having throughout the year, because that the NFL's you kind of live in the moment, you know. I mean, if you're like, well, why if our team's going to be good, we could win again this year, that's really all you're focused on. It's easy to say the next five years you're really focused on twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: I think if you could get a second round or No, he's a free agent, so you get no picks.
Speaker 3: I can you franchise them and trade him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think it's quarterback class sucks in college. No, I mean even Shaduur's more of a B plus a minus prospect than an A plus Jalen Milrow people like, but he's he's not fluid. He's gonna take He's better than Anthony Richards and out of college, but he's gonna take a lot of work and a lot of patience. It's really interesting. I mean, let's go to chicagould.
Speaker 3: You give him like a Cousins type deal, like a couple of years hundred million, three years, one hundred million dollars, and then just figured it out as you go, and if he keeps playing well, you can always trade him if you like JJ. I think I just think the risk saying with with JJ McCarthy injured was a project to begin with. I think there was a story within the last couple of weeks he needed another surgery because of the swelling. I mean, not that that's the end. I mean he's still got a long time till twenty twenty five season. But I just like this would be serious conversations, which I they're one hundred percent having. Doesn't mean they're going to do it. But it's a fluid situation.
Speaker 1: So in a losing effort today, I think Chicago is the most fascinating four and seven team in the league. Caleb Williams made a throw right before the field goal descended to overtime. I thought it was the best throw I saw today. I mean it was twenty eight yards in the air, I mean four Vikings right over and they showed the video from behind Caleb. They had four hundred yards offense. He had thirty two completions. The box score was even. They were down big in the fourth quarter, so Caleb is a pretty fearless kid. They were down to a good team twenty four to ten. They came roaring back. He had a really bad sack in overtime that killed their field position. Vikings get the ball. Sam Darnold outplays him in overtime. But for I said before the season, I said, the Bears are gonna win seventh. They're gonna finish in fourth place. But you're gonna feel good about it. You're gonna be like, yeah, we got the guy watching that game today and that fourth quarter. I mean Greg Cosel told me this week he's like that kid. That kid is unbelievable. Like, nothing against Jayden Daniels, but he's stronger than Jayden Daniels. Nothing against bow Knicks, but he's got a bigger arm than bow Knicks. I thought Caleb today had some moments that were just wow. That's my take when I watched them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he made a couple throws over the player the past year. Throwing is the live version didn't do it justice when they showed the replay and he layered that thing. But he's Brett Farv strike. How about the two point conversion when he hit DJ Moore in the back of the end zone and there were a couple other over the middle of the field strikes to like Keenan Allen where you're like, he was just letting this thing rip. And then the usc the reason that everyone was so high on him, the scramble threw it down the sideline to DJ More might be the best play he's ever made of his career. Yeah. He The one thing that jumps out these last two weeks is there's more of a looseness that feels more collegiate to him. Again, yes, that he was really tight. Toward the end of the Waldron thing, they fire him, and you just see a much looser player. And I, you know, you're scrolling around the four boxes listening to different audio. And when I clicked over at one point in time during the game, they said he had mentioned like I just feel like I got my confidence back a little bit, and he's playing that way. I think the hard part if you're a Pars fan is like, our team actually probably wasn't that far away this year. What let us down? It was, well, we've been pretty They muffed a punt today and they had a field goal blocked. Again. They had back to back field goal blocks.
Speaker 1: If you count last week they led to two Vikings scores. So they're five and eighteen in one possession games under eber Flus, and they're a terrible road team, meaning close games.
Speaker 3: He's never uber Flues has never won a road game on a Sunday colin the NFL plays on Sundays.
Speaker 1: Well, look at look how much better the offense got when Waldron left. Okay, so we saw leak. I mean, look at bone next with Sean Payton. Can you imagine if they get this guy a sharp, offensive coach.
Speaker 3: But you know the hard part though, is Colin And I don't know if you know this guy. I just know him from the outside, and I don't think that highly of him. Is partly because you have a business guy and Kevin Warren. There was a segment of The Hard Knocks where Ryan Poles was extending DJ Moore to one of the biggest contracts in the history of the Bears, and in Hard Knocks he's reading out some of the details of the contract not to the owners, but to Kevin Warren, and I went, that's a problem because and listen to everyone around Chicago knows Kevin Warren and it's been well reported. Poles and ebra Flu's answer to him, not the owner. So you have like this intermediary middle management who's really powerful in the NFL that doesn't work. Can you imagine listen, I when I was with the Eagles, Don Smelenski like, there are a lot of really good presidents that dominate the business side, and they're they're tight with their GM and their and their coach. They don't dictate the terms of that stuff. On big you go to the owner and even some of the owners once they get comfortable with you, like unless it's a crazy just you do it like I'm good with it, right, I trust you. So you have this president who is gonna be in charge of the hiring of the coach with poles that that that's where it gets weird, Colin, and I think a lot of people in Chicago, because there's no disputing you watch this team. If Caleb's gonna play like the last couple of weeks, it's they're gonna be a talented football teaman.
Speaker 1: Allen today was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I I just wonder from a coaching stand point, guys with options like clearly like Woody Johnson, no thanks, wait, I got I have to deal not with the owner and not with my GM, but the president of the team. Well that's that's a turnof Colin in the business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the and and that man you're speaking of was known. I know somebody. I know two people that have dealt with him before. Kind of a ladder.
Speaker 3: He's a business guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean a little bit of a ladder climber, light on the details sometimes nice enough.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I My take is, and I feel bad for Caleb Williams. It's like I I would feel bad for Aaron Rodgers if he wasn't Aaron Rodgers. But some of these organizations are just a circus. I mean, the Jets are poorly run franchise. The Bears are a poorly run franchise. And I just I mean Bill Pollion ran their last coaching search. That's why they ended up with Matt Eberfluss. The owners called Bill Pollion and said, find us a coach, so you know, and he's gonna go, you know, to his allies, and I I mean, just watch Bweck's play and tell me you don't think Sean Payton and coaching matters.
Speaker 3: It's I mean, but that's a good example of there's a guy making eighteen million dollars. He's the boss. Now he did it's not his money. If he has a question, he goes to the Walton family or the Penners or you know, whoever is in charge of the money rights. It's really run a lot like a college team would be run like Kirby Smart nick sate. They're the boss of the operation. It can get weird in the NFL because it becomes so corporate, these billion dollar operations. A lot of people like their hand in the cookie jar. You see these names that are at these meetings with Woody Johnson, You're like, who are these other three guys? Well, they're like his confidants, right, that you have to deal with when you want things done. You know, forever Belichick wants somethm done, he you want to write to Robert, right, this is what we're doing. It's me and you and Robert. Then his son starts getting more involved than it gets we And I think one reason I see the Chiefs are so well run is because it's just Brett and Andy deal with Clark, and I know the forty nine ers too, Like it's a very streamline. It's just Kyle john Jed York. There's not a lot of other cooks in the kitchen. That's what makes me nervous with Chicago because you'd be like, they should be all over Rabel. Well, Rabel just had a weird experience. Does he want to deal with this now? And he's a big ten guy, and Kevin Warren not highly thought of with some of the football guys. I just that that makes me nervous. Colin. I could see it coming from a mile away, these stories in January of like, yeah, this is just a weird interview because like I didn't know who I was answering to. Right, you can see it, you can see it coming.
Speaker 1: Are you struggling to find the right candidates? Well, good news, there's a place to go to get help. It's called zip recruiter. Does the work for you fast and easy, right now, this second. You can try it for free. All you do is go to ZipRecruiter dot com slash colin. It's the hiring site that employers trust the most, according to G two. So how quickly does zip recruiter work instantly? They have a powerful matching technology helps you find the top talent fast saves your time and money. Four out of five employers who post on zip recruiter listen to this. Four to five get a quality candidate within the first day. So see for yourself. All you have to do do it for free ZipRecruiter dot com slash colin right now free, I mean free. That's the same price as a perfect sunset. Try it free exclusive web address, ZipRecruiter dot com slash colin co l I n zip recruiter. The smartest way to hire really is.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Cowboys beat Washington thirty four to twenty six complete batshit crazy in the fourth quarter. Just a wild game. And I'm sure you either watched it, folks or not.
Speaker 3: You know, an a forty points score in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 1: It was insane. So Cliff Kingsbury always had a reputation Jaden Daniels. You know, I was looking at this with five minutes left, Jayden Daniels had less than one hundred yards passing and Washington had nine points against the thirty first scoring defense. So it was a lot of points late. But Jaden Daniels. Bow Knicks has completely surpassed Jaden Daniels for offensive Rookie of the Year. Like it's not club. I mean, he's the last six games, it's not close. Bonnicks looks confident, accurate, poised, athletic. Jaden's lost his fastball. And so you know, I talked to Steve kaim I said, you know, can you explain the Cliff Kingsbury college and professionals swoon in the second half of the season. And Steve just said, he's a very smart, creative guy who works in the summer to come in with new stuff, and maybe the league catches up with him that he doesn't pivot to the second pitch after he's brought in new stuff. But Steve didn't really have an answer. But you know, he said, hard working, clever, smart. He does come in every year with new stuff. But I was sitting there watching that thing today, and by the way, Washington almost pulled it off. But once again Washington missed Pats. They missed a field goal. Special teams in this league are I don't remember a year that special teams decided more football games. They're just terrible. But I looked at this and I thought to myself today, if you could redraft all the quarterbacks, and you have to consider Sean Payton and the bow next deal, if you could redraft the quarterbacks, would you draft them differently? Forget the teams, would you redraft them differently?
Speaker 3: Well, I think Caleb's at least quieted, and I listen, I was starting to wonder, what the hell are we watching? These last two weeks make you feel a lot better. I mean, today he made throws where you're like, that's what number one overall pick looks like. No disputing, Here's where I will defend Jayden Daniels because today he was run around pretty well. I came into this season, I know you picked him to make the playoffs. I thought this was more like a six or seven win team that was going to be an impressive operation. But wins loss were not going to be what it looked like they were going to be three weeks ago. I don't think they're that talented Colin. I honestly, I don't think they're teams that good. Yeah, Terry mclaurin's good. Their running backs getting banged up. Brian Robinson's a good player, but he was in and out. So if they're not running the ball, well, and here's the one thing. And I always thought this about Chip Kelly, and you know, Mike Leach never came to the NFL. But Cliff's a good example. These spread offenses right early on in the season, rapid fire defenses aren't as dialed. Take advantage of it. As the season goes on, weather changes a little bit, it gets a lot more physical. Well what Dallas happened today. Parsons is back now, like their defense is a little bit more Yeah, I would say legitimate with him in the game, and they were just ready for a brawl, like they got pride. I mean, they got a lot of.
Speaker 1: High paid, accurate moves the ball for sure, and it.
Speaker 3: Was a physical game. Yeah. I think sometimes the more physical you are, with more of the quote unquote spread offenses, you can shove them around a little bit. And I think that's really what's happened in my opinion. Now. You know, once that I saw on the Denver game is Bonnix hasn't turned the ball over in fourteen quarters. One pass was on a hail Mary. But Jane Daniels have three picks today.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, So it's like you start turning the ball over, you start forcing things. Games are a little closer. The other thing is in the NFL, you know, regardless of records, I've always thought, you know, as the season goes on, like where do you get a lot of upsets in the NFL? Are Division games in November and December with a good team versus bad team. We see it every year like today, who in their right mind would have given Dallas a shot? But you could tell halfway through You're like, this is a real game, this is going to be tough.
Speaker 1: Well, the tight quarterbacks played great. Yeah, No, it's it's I think when I looked at that game, I'm like, oh, Dallas just screwed up. Your drafts spot. Yeah, I think to your point, I think we have to take a deep breath. Washington replaced everybody they came in with a new quarterback and a new offense in Cliff Kingsbury's history of starting the first six to eight weeks quickly but then eventually regression of the meme. Whereas Denver is better than people think. Denver's got some really good players, Denver has an elite offensive coach, Denver has a college quarterback with sixty one starts, and Denver's Cortland Sutton, who, like Terry McLaurin, is just a big target that's open all the time. And I want to pivot to that game because I we haven't talked a lot of Denver on our Sunday podcast. So Denver beats the Raiders twenty nine nine teams the only game all day. If I would have bet every game, I think I would have gotten right. So bo Nick's his last eight games, John fifteen touchdowns, two picks, and a one oh four passer rating. In those games, they're five and three. If the field goal is not blocked against the Chiefs, they're six and two. Like we have to acknowledge now, Denver with in dead cap money. Hell that sacrifice draft capital. I think this is a good team. I watch them again. The Raiders don't have a lot at quarterback, but they've got some talent. I think we have to be honest about this. I think Denver's pretty good football team.
Speaker 3: Well, Colin, I think we could be seven days away from them being officially, I guess unofficially a playoff team because they play Cleveland this week. In Miami, who's obviously got it together with Tua back, a lot of people think that they are alive and well, well, they play the Packers this week. So if Miami loses and they are then five and seven and Denver wins, they would be eight and five. Like I have a hard time seeing Miami catch them. So this is a massive week. Like I think Denver's in the playoffs. If they handle business this week and all of a sudden you start doing the math like they're getting a nine, no doubt. But I think they end up with ten and that's they basically doubled their win total. Like this. This has been a huge year for Sean Payton. Honestly, it's been a win win for Russell An Seawan, Yes, some marriages break up, go other places, happy as hell with your separate significant others. That's how it's worked out here. So it's just it was never gonna work. You thought it. We all thought it. Anyone with a brain that knows these two personalities, even if you don't know him personally, you're like, this isn't gonna work. And they broke up, and it's gone well for both Listen Right and Sean Payton. I think was pretty lucky that, you know, there was six quarterbacks in the you know, because a lot of them were going high. It just happened to be a very unique draft because it's not like they were drafted fourth right, so he needed some of the stuff was out of his control, and it worked out perfectly. The type guy that he would like is the last guy off the board in the top fifteen. I mean, it's it was a historic draft, right, six guys going top twelve, thirteen picks. We might never see that again.
Speaker 1: And Denver has in nine of the last twelve games, and this is so big for rookie quarterback. They've held opponents under twenty So when bow Knicks maybe struggles today a little bit in a couple of drives. They're not giving up points.
Speaker 3: So their dbs A their dbs are good. I mean every time I look up obviously certain's good. They have all these other guys. This is why vance Joseph, which Shawn deserves credit for. Because you give up seventy points in a game, I would have been like, Shawn, you might have to fire this guy by mid season, stick it out by the end of the year. Last year. They're playing good defense. This year, I think that has to be the most surprised unit of the league. They feel just on the it test, one of the best defenses in the league. I know Gardner Minshew today, but the score was a little closer. This guy. Never once crossed my mind that the Raiders were gonna win that game today.
Speaker 1: No, but they've been doing this now for two months. I mean, go to the Kansas City game. They outplayed the Kansas City Chiefs, and so on the road.
Speaker 3: That's where I think, you know, depending on how this Denver more than likely would probably be the seven seed. Baltimore. Yeah, you know, the Baltimo already has four losses. But if you're telling me, two of the three wild cards are Denver and the Chargers, like anytime you play your wild card weekend, you're playing an excellent defense, like you could lose. You know, this is not a three seven game series. All of a sudden, you have a shitty half, You're down fourteen to three in the third quarter. We've seen this every year. So you got two teams separate from obviously Herbert's, you know, an elite player. But even with a rookie quarterback. We have seen rookie quarterbacks have success in the playffcause they don't have to do that much. And that's kind of you know, bo Nicks, as long as he didn't turn the ball over and their defense played a high level game, why couldn't they win it seventeen to fourteen or fifteen to thirteen. They're very comfortable playing that way.
Speaker 1: Think about this, and I watched them today. Sean Payton does such a good job of two things. Defining He gives bon Nicks about eight layups. He gives them a lot of easy stuff. And then Nicks deserves credit because he is constantly seeking Courtland Sutton and Cortland. Sutton is a basketball player with a helmet. I mean that he's big in the corner. Jesus big, long athletic, and I've always liked Courtland Sutton so and mims Is it can be a burner. I like their backs, but you can see that he gets bow Nick's easy stuff and then bow Bow like Russell does with George Pickens, bow just attacks Courtland Sutton. But take out Andy Reid. Just take Andy Reid out. Belichick's now not coaching on any given Sunday. I'd argue Sean Payton's as good as coach as the league has. I absolutely believe that. I think Andy Reid's the best, maybe arguably ever. But now that Belichick's out, take out Andy Reid. He can go toe to toe. I mean, I love Sean McVay. They've had some bad offensive halves when people are healthy. So I think a lot of this is, you know, it's just funny because Shawn's done things to alienate people. He's outspoken. Remember he took a shot at the Jets. He was right by the way. You know, he took a shot at Nat Hackett. He was right by the way. But you know, when you lead with your chin, you offend a lot of people. You cannot watch Denver and not see the coaching. It's it's I mean to me, if you gave Coach of the Year today, I don't know how you'd I don't know who you'd pick. I think Sean Payton's now after that Tomlin time out mess, clock management mess, I think I give it to Sean Payton.
Speaker 3: You know. I think it's the one award that, honestly, as time goes on, is irrelevant. Right like Belichick, Andy Reed, they don't even have that many. Andy Reid doesn't have one. As a cancy chiefs head coach like Jim Harbaugh took over a team that won five games, they're probably gonna win eleven or twelve. And I think the way you just describe Sean, I think Jim is definitely mellowed out in his older age, but he was a lot like that early on in Michigan and definitely with San Francisco and both. I mean, look at those two guys. If you would have said that the Chargers in Denver, whatever the odds, if you would have parlayed those two teams to make the playoffs, Colin, they might make the playoffs. They might be resting starters by the last week of the season. And it's not a coincidence that those guys. Here's the other thing. And Sean once he hired Dennis Allen, their defense was excellent the last three or four years with the Saints. Jim, both offensive guys, former quarterbacks value defense and will pay for it and invest in it. And that really matters. And I don't think it's shocking. And this is why you're watching the Raiders today. You're like, can you imagine being the redhead stepchild of your division? When you're in that you know, with those three coaches, Like what do you even do? Like, you better hope Belichick picks up your call this offseason, because if he doesn't, you got no shot.
Speaker 1: That was this week Sunday Night Football, brought to you by Uber eats as the official on demand delivery partner of the NFL. Uber eats has the best game day deals all season long, order now for game day. So we're talking about that division. Let's talk Chiefs thirty Panthers twenty seven. Again. The Margins are thinner, their defense is not as good as last year. The red zone offense is struggling, you know, and then they get the ball. Mahomes makes that great scramble down the left sideline and you're like it's really interesting watching them. They're I don't think we're giving Kansas City credit for this. It's virtually impossible to win back to back titles, even if you have Brady and Belichick in their prime, to win back to back and be going for a third. There's only so many motivational species. You go on the road today at Carolina, you're an eleven point favorite, and I mean you looked at the film. I mean, all these guys, you're not fooling anybody. But I think Kansas City is going to be dialed in. Think think a lot of their issues now, like today, Do I believe they installed everything they have? Do I really believe that? Or do I believe there are moments now when they're taking chances with offensive players where they're trying to develop a worthy or Noah Gray. I kind of feel like when I watch Kansas City, they're playing with their food. But again, Buffalo is better. I don't think they're buttoned up right now. But the way they came down Mahomes three or four, big Scramble final Drive, I'm like, experimentations the wrong word. But I don't think they're installing everything. I feel like they're trying to find out what they are. Is that fair?
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think their defense is not quite as good it's in the season, but some injuries. Yes, but we've been saying that they're very, very comfortable winning these weird games. Yeah, and when there was a when there was more than enough time on the clock, even when Carolina scoring out the two point, you felt confident that they would have a chance at a field goal. Right. They were also up twenty seven to nineteen late in the game, so it's not like it was flipped and they had to have some storming comeback, like they were in control of the game. You know, we talked about the forty nine ers, right, just ran out of gas. Well, they have been to three straight conference championship games and won Super Bowl, and then they had a year off in twenty twenty, and then they played the Chiefs in the Super Bowl in nineteen. The Kansay Chiefs since twenty eighteen have gone to every conference championship game and I'm pretty sure they've won back to back. They won another one and they lost Tampa. They've gone to four of the last five Super Bowls and currently are ten to one. So it's like, however, they have done. It's remarkable. And I watched the Chiefs posted something in Andy in the locker room, like we don't apologize for wins around here, we're taking everyone's best shot. And say this about Carolina the last I would say month, I mean, they had won back to back games and then they went on a by I kind of had circled that. If the Chiefs had beaten the Bills, It's like I might have taken them upset special in that and even this game, like after that Bills game, the Chiefs are human, Like are they gonna give their like you said, not just the coaching their best shot, but the players, Like, do you take Carolina as seriously as you did the previous week? You cannot can't, Like, these are twenty eight, twenty seven, twenty six thirty year old human beings, but they're ten and one. It's they are on at equally, if not more impressive, of any six seven year stretch of the New England Patriot dynasty. Of what they're doing right now now. If you're a betting man, the Patriots lost a lot in the in the second in the conference championship game. Over twenty years, this you would say probably based on what I've seen, wouldn't shock me if they lost in the second round, right or in the conference championship game, especially depending. I mean now they only have the one game over the Bills, but they are this is a weird down year for them, and they're gonna be what fourteen and three maybe fifteen and two class that's an incredible accomplishment. So when we talk about the Andy Reid comparent, Belichick like.
Speaker 1: With injuries, they're trying to figure out the red zone offense, they haven't had Isaiah Pacheco, like they're they're experimenting. They don't know exactly what they are. For the record, we know the Raiders and the Giants are drafting a quarterback. I watched Bryce Young today, who's arguably the best quarterback ever in Southern California high school history, who was dominant in college. I ran into his high school coach the other night at Modern Day, a legend who's retired, and I said, best player you ever had?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: First second name out was Bryce Young. He's like, he's just a remarkable player, great kid. I don't think Carolina's going to draft a quarterback. I think the class is two weak. I think they think Bryce is better than anybody outside of shadhor Sanders. I think Caroline is going to give Bryce Young another year. What's say you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say he's done a lot like his version of what Caleb has done these last couple of weeks. Yep, you know, over the last three game for him, he's looked like a real player. Now, if you could do it all over again, would you have mortgaged what you did to get him? I mean I think probably not. I would not, but he has been more than respectable these last three weeks. And he you know, confidence is a powerful thing for young players. Listen, He's not he's a little small, not a great athlete, but he does have a natural feel for the position. And that's what was so head scratching when they essentially had to bench him, is he was inaccurate. He was making awful decisions. He just looked lost and maybe sometimes like you just take a reset. Listen. I think Anthony Richardson, even today they kind of got work, just has looked a lot better. I thought he looked a lot better today. Take a deep breath. I don't know if Bryce needed to be like humbled like Anthony Richardson, but he definitely like just take a step back was probably healthy for him, and he looks like a real NFL quarterback. Now, their team a lot of question marks. Is their coaching staff good enough? Is their talent long way to go? But I'm with you, like would you gonna draft cam Ward or Quinn you or.
Speaker 1: Someth the same thing. In Tennessee. They beat the Texans today and so that's I mean, this is not a game that's riveting, but the Titans thirty two, Texans twenty seven. So listen the last six games. C J. Stroud is really struggling. They went and got Stefan Diggs should have probably addressed the interior O line.
Speaker 3: C J.
Speaker 1: Stroud is hurrying everything. He is struggling. He has a seventy four passer rating in his last six games. He is really struggling. But I watched Will Levis today and my take is with Bryce Young and Will Levis, I'm just keeping them. I'm giving him another year. I mean, hell, the Giants paid Daniel Jones. I don't think Daniels as natural as Bryce Young. I don't think he's as I don't think he has the arm of Will Levis. In my take, watching Will Levis today the last two weeks, I'm kind of like, yeah, they got boat raced by Detroit. They don't have the same level of players. But I watched Will Levis and Bryce Young and my take is, we like c J. Stroud and we see what he's going through, and Houston's got better players than the Titans. I thought Will Levis today bought himself absolutely another year. I mean, you can go get Sam Donold in the market. I think they're just gonna stick with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, Will did give you the one pick six, No he mad, He did make some fantastic throws down the field. Something is really off with Houston. I mean, they have not looked good in a way, even in their wins. It's just they looked a lot different. Maybe it was their schedule last year. Obviously, you know, protecting CJ has been a problem, but they look they look like a lock to be a one and done. You know, if you tell me they're playing the Chargers or the Ravens in the first round the way they're playing, I'd say Cyanara. But but I hear you, like, this is this leagu's hard, And I think sometimes you know, these teams get so caught up on these shiny targets. It's like, let's use Diggs for an example. So you're telling me the Bills, and listen, I know people with the Texas they like Dicks, but even like he hasn't been a personal personality problem. But let's just talk about the player standpoint. The Bills, who have been one of the best operations in the league minus like the Chiefs for the last four years, are completely out on the guy. You already have Nico Collins and Tank Dell, who are clearly a good young nucleus. With Schultz, you're gonna add a running back, Like your offense is not the line of scrimmage, line of scrimmage, line of scrimmage, Yet you go do that, Like, I think that's one where you're like, we didn't need to do that. That's right, but that doesn't make sense. We should have been extra aggressive for another guard, for another center, for another d tackle. That's where we're going to separate ourselves from the line of scrimmage. They felt like they wanted to go more and be this spread around team, and that's kind of what they look like now. They're just kind of soft. Yeah, and their offense gets shoved around today. I mean, one thing the Titans have had all year long is their defense is pretty good. Yes, you remove that game against the Lions where they scored seventy five points. Like, the Titans defense has not been the problem, and now will Levis. I think the statistics over the last couple of weeks have been a lot better on what have they been. They've been a lot more competitive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think you have to strongly consider this quarterback class where Schner Sanders is the best product project prospect. But it's not great. I mean, he's got there's some ego, there's some emotion he holds on.
Speaker 3: I don't think he would have gone if you put him in this last draft. Yeah, he doesn't go ahead of Kleb. No, he does not. Jaden's more physically gifted. I think there's I would say, above a fifty percent chance that they still would go with Drake May in New England, bigger arm, cold weather like that factors in, so he wouldn't have even potentially gone definitely in the top two, but probably in the top three of this last quarterback class. That's not even a shock. I mean, Drake May was Nick Saven tried to give him five million dollars the previous year. Yeah, So I think sometimes we act like Drake May was just this overdrafted scrub and they got their butt kicked today. But he was. He's a legitimate prospect coming out of college.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think Sean Payton identified very early Bonnicks was his Drew Brees. So Shaduur is benefiting greatly. Cam Ward is a lot of backyard football, a very edgy personality and and I'll just I'll leave it at that. He's a very edgy personality, not for everybody. Jalen Milroll is not very fluid, big strong kid, great parents, wonderful kid, completely coachable. He's Anthony Richardson but better at this point. But he's not a natural, like he can make great throws, but he doesn't. He doesn't feel like he's played enough quarterback, like he needs a lot of work. So my take is, if I got Will Levis and I look at it and I think, well, maybe Will's not Shador Sanders. But if I if I've got five wins and I'm drafted nine, I'm not moving up for Shador Sanders. I'm just staying with will Levis for a year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think the you know, the thing with Chadur and Dion combo. We'll see how that plays out. Like Chadour, at the end of the day, it's been awesome to watch. They've been a fun story, yes, but physically gift, you know, physically gifted. You say Dion's son, he doesn't run. I think he got his athletic genes from mom because he is not the athlete, Like he's not Josh Allen, he's not Lamar, not hurt, he doesn't move like those guys. And his arm, like Joe Burrow is the best version of this, Like that's his arm, like Joe does not have some hose, right, And I've heard people compare like that, Like his physical skill set is that of closer to Joe Burrow. But I think people think of you know, Shador Sanders that aren't watching every snap of Colorado. He's like this dual threat player. That is not his skill set you know at all. Cam War to me, is much more of a dual threat. Yes, and he's got a way bigger arm than.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Cam's got a great arm.
Speaker 3: And to me, Quinn, you weres the thing with Jalen Milroe and even Anthony Richardson throughout the history of the league. Even let's say, you know, before these last three or four years, those guys would have been like second round picks or late late first round, like projects, and now they get drafted a fourth and you're pulling your hair out in year two. So I wonder if we kind of swing back a little bit and everyone takes like, would you rather have a huge project or just take Travis Hunter with a third overall pick, right, That's what I'd rather do, or the best left tackle or the best pass rusher. And I wonder if we get a shift back, because you just saw last year the Sunday night game we're recording before, two of the best players in that draft were Mitchell the dude. The Eagles took the corner and Jared Verse the pass rusher, which historically in a draft, the top corner in the top pass rusher don't make it pass like pick seven. So I think it's gotten a little out of whack, And I wonder if the pendulum swings back a little bit, partly because there's gonna be so much negativity on the quarterbacks. You just watch college football It's all over the map. Every single week.
Speaker 1: Now for a segment called making It Look Easy, brought to you by Morgan and Morgan, America's largest injury law firm. Today Sam Darnold did boy, did he have some nice throws? Two touchdowns over three hundred yards. Vikings overtime win on the road over the Chicago Bear. Sam and the Vikings have won four straight games. Just like Sam made it look easy, so doas Morgan and Morgan makes it easy for you to submit a claim. Over one hundred offices, eight hundred lawyers nationwide, and and they've recovered over fifteen billion dollars for over three hundred thousand clients. A proven track record of fighting to get you full and fair compensation. Morgan and Morgan fighting for the people for over thirty five years. If you ever injured, go to four Thepeople dot com, slash Colin, or dial Pound five to nine to check out America's largest injury law firm. Winning in the NFL is hard, Hiring Morgan and Morgan is easy. Tampa thirty New York Giants seven, not a game I care much about, but the Giants didn't show up twenty three to nothing at half they trailed. The handling of Daniel Jones obviously did not sit well with Giant players, and there were guys that were pissed, and I was sitting there. First of all, I don't think this is even arguable. The Jets and the Giants are the two most dysfunctional franchises right now in the league. Carolina feels like they got a little bit of a life. Carolina absolutely, Tennessee today felt like the win and the way they're playing, they've got a little bit of a life. Chicago with Caleb is fine, wildly entertaining four and seven team. I think the Giants and the Jets are the two most dysfunctional franchises in the league. I think New York probably ends up having to take cam Ward is Brian da bol safe. I would have absolutely bet the Farm four weeks ago, but the way the team reacted they I mean, teams don't quit very often in the NFL. I can remember fifteen years ago an Arizona Cardinal team with Matt Lioner in the snow in New England. Like I thought, oh they quit. I felt like the Giants quit. I mean, they didn't pursue on a couple of big plays. Is Brian da Bole safe.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to give him somewhat of a pass this week because this is a management ownership decision. You don't go with Tommy Chicken Palm. You just paid Drew Locke five million dollars. We saw him last year on Monday Night Football lead a game winning comeback against the Philadelphia Eagles. He's a real player as a backup, and he was paid as such. Well, why they go to Tommy because he's this local hero, the you know, the agent. I mean, it's, let's be real, it's a clown show. I mean it's a circus. At least. The stuff with the Jets right now is basically all just sourced articles written. This was actual actions. They benched Daniel Jones, and this is where I think the anchor comes from, which I think Daniel's I talked about this on the podcast. He's a good example of when you care like you put more stock into the person and the character, which obviously checks every box y. He's the perfect type guy over the player. Yes, and I think they swung a little too hard, and I think it's a testament to like how good of a guy he is that all the players the good ones really like him a lot, But how could you take any like thing seriously if you're a player in the backup all season long has been Drew lock who's a real NFL player, and they go to Tommy Cutlet's so right there, and I'm gonna give day ball. I don't have inside information on this. That feels like an ownership decision because part of it was THEIRS incentives with Drew Locke. Obviously, they benched Daniel Jones for money, which I understand, Like, I'm not against that. You know, he's three and thirteen. As a starter, it was over, it had run its course. But then to go to the third string guy, who, let's face it, they're going to him for a reason, just like so you can talk about him if you win a couple games as a fun story, and then he's a complete embarrassment. I mean, they couldn't even function. I mean the Bucks have been leac and Oil both teams off of Bye and the Bucks looked like the O seven Patriots against them, and I just think that that's a reflection. You know, John mara is this really like presidential and regal family the name, but that organization post Koflin in that final season has been it's paralleled like the Raiders and the Jets. It's no different. They run through. Coaches have these situations. It goes back to the benching of Eli for Gino, and this situation, to me is even five times worse because of it's Tommy cutlets When you have a backup that other teams wanted. John Schneider wanted to keep them. And remember the Giants were like, you have a chance to kind of start here if Daniel Jones isn't healthy, but you paid them five million dollars and then you go to him. I just think that one's a hard one to shake, and then to lose like you did today. So yeah, Brian day Ball, Joe Shane, who listen, I'm not acting like Joe Shane's good and maybe Brian Dayball's not either. But this has now become a John Mora operation. Because do you believe that Brian Daball wanted Tommy Cutletz to be the starter? No, he kept the ownership.
Speaker 1: No. I think I think sometimes, and I think fans are pretty smart about this. I think there's so much information now. Fans are better at betting games. They have more information that it's impossible to overcome. Say Al Davis the last seven years he owned the Raiders like he just couldn't overcome it. He blame Ki and pled with him, don't draft JaMarcus Russell, like you know, there's nothing you can do. I think Jerry Jones right now is is hard. Nothing against Mike McCarthy, but I mean, Cooper Rush is more than efficient, more than capable the defense when health. He's got some good players can make, you know, defensive stands. I think they're these aging owners. I mean, I think the Brown family in Cincinnati, they don't have an outdoor practice facility. I mean you can tell Joe Burrows pissed. He knows. I mean, they're not even paying T Higgins or Jamar Chase yet, and they're moving off Joe Mixon, giving him away for a seventh rounder. So I just I look at the Giants and I think I always thought they were well run. I always thought this was.
Speaker 3: Like I always thought Dan Rouse with the Eagles. I was like, this is a high level operation.
Speaker 1: Listen, we know the Bidwell Arizona. You know, we know the mccaskey's in Chicago, McNair's in Houston. We know the circuses. Craft's well run. You know, Stan Cronkey non meddling. I I always thought the Giants I always called him the accounting firm of the league. Even when they won, they were boring. I don't think I think they make bad hires. I think Babel's not the problem. I hope he's safe because I really do think he's smart. They have a left tackle, a coach, and a star receiver and a couple of defensive linemen. I like, I think there's some elements there, but my guess is they're gonna end up with cam Ward.
Speaker 3: You know. Let's use Jerry as an example. Though this week there was a story on like Monday or Tuesday. Well, I think Jerry created the story because he's seventh radio hit of the week. He's asked the question about Trey Lance. Yeah, and Jerry essentially said, we're trying to win. Cooper Rush gives us the best chance. Jerry's the one that pulled the trigger on the fourth round pick for the guy he could easily say, so let's just roll him out. It's worst case scenario. Maybe he just we strike oil these last couple of weeks and we feel good and we try to keep this guy or something. You know, No, we're going with Cooper Rush. Why because he's our backup quarterback. So for them to go to the third stringer that's Tommy Cutlets in Jersey, it's like, yeah, this what an embarrassing And then to have Baker and those guys basically rubbed in your face today, you know, doing the money signs that Cutlets was doing. That's one of those moments where you start feeling again. You're dressed well, you look the part, but your operation's starting to feel like the Dolean Knicks for a long time now, right, Just you guys have just I don't know, you have more name cachet with the Mars and the Tisshes, but we have to judge them now on the basic results in the actions that we're seeing. It's crazy, Colin, and I'm not defending like you can always when they bench Russell Wilson and bench Derek Carr. Same thing. Money, we're not good enough, We're not going to the playoffs. We don't want to pay you twenty three million dollars. I'm fine with that, but this is not the NBA where we just wave the white flag every team. Look around football today, teams are trying the Panthers that the Cowboys playing their asses off, and you roll out the third string quarterback in the middle of November. I mean, I went a couple weeks ago. I'm like, go, the Cowboys are in trouble. Now. I think Cowboys are gonna get back to wins like him on Thanksgiving, now, don't you.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about the Lions twenty four in the Colts six. That was my upset pick of the week. I thought Detroit it was just due true. Yeah, so Detroit. I mean it's you almost never see this had thirty seven to twenty two minutes time of possession. They're boringly methodical. Anthony Richardson, they only had eleven first downs, he only eleven completions. Again, I think I think he's Jalen Milroe. I think Milrow is better at this point. But I think the Colts again, I think with Shane Steichen, they're going to stick with him another year. I just think that's the ree. I don't I think if you draft somebody in the first round and who's only played thirteen college games, you have to stick with Anthony Richardson. But I'm watching the Lions and I didn't play particularly well, and the Colts had multiple opportunities in this game. This Detroit is the most dominant NFL team since the Brady Moss Patriots. It's incredible because Kansas City's won back to back titles. Would you be shocked if Detroit went to a Super Bowl and clobbered Baltimore, the Chargers, Buffalo or Kansas City. And I mean with two weeks to prepare in their healthy rolled, I mean, this offensive line just takes the oxygen. When you play the Lions, you will have no rhythm offensively because even if you score, you're gonna sit and watch for eight minutes. They take all of your rhythm away. And again, Anthony Richardson has eleven first downs. But we've you know, Kansas City's trying to find its offense. Baltimore's had these bad offensive showings the good teams. Maybe Philadelphia is their kryptonite. But I watched them today and I'm like, they didn't play well and it's thirty seven to twenty two time of possession.
Speaker 3: I think the hard part about football is I thought this exactly about the Ravens. I thought they were going to roll through the playoffs. I loved him in the AFC Championship game against the Chiefs, and I thought that they were gonna end up playing the Niners, and that I'd seen him beat the crap out of him on Christmas and I expected it to happen again. And football can be weird that way. Now, the difference is the Ravens get off when the Lamar pass and him running around Ratio gets off. The Lions their defense today was really impressive. It's like we can win an ugly game and you just there was a couple of moments where they just forced long throw downs and you're like, ky, they're they're missing players getting injuries and they don't. But offensively where they don't hesitate is they got two backs yep, So like their Lamar and their offense is the running back duo and one guy will run it right up your throat and break tackles and the other guy looks like when he gets in the open, he looks like Deon Sanders. I mean that guy can flock. And Jared Goff made a couple of throws today on the move. It was like, geez, like he's playing the best football if his care The confidence that franchise has. But here's the thing, and I remember in twenty nineteen when the forty nine Ers were the one seed. It came down to the last play of the season against Seattle, and like the Dan Bunns two point zero dra green Law tackle, they only have a one game lead. It feels like they are running circles around the conference and the Vikings are nine and two. The Packers today, you know, you get that win against forty nine Ers, all of a sudden, they went on Thanksgiving. They're only a couple games like, their lead is not as big. Same thing with the Chiefs, who've had this remarkable season. They've already been beat by the Bills. They only got one game, so the Martians. This is a great part about the NFL. But yeah, I think the Lions would It would be stunning to see them lose. Now where it would change if somehow the home field fell out of favor and all of a sudden, you know, they're the two even if they won the division, but they had to go to Philly. We'll see how Philly looks over the course of the next three or four weeks. That would be very difficult.
Speaker 1: Well, right, I was thinking about this, you know, I think both of us love Dan Campbell and what he's created. Sometimes he can get very emotional, you know, last year against the Cowboys, he gets very emotional. But I was thinking to myself Andy Reid's and the other conference, you know, John Harbaugh, Jim Harbaugh, the other conference. The truth is the next best team in that conference is Nick Sirianni, and we don't trust him situationally, we don't trust him circumstantially. So it's like there isn't sort of a wizard. Shanahan's not going to be in the playoffs. Mcveigh's team doesn't. I mean, I don't think they'll beat Philadelphia tonight as we're going right now. So my thing is I worry a little bit about Dan Campbell in situational football. But those guys are on the AFC.
Speaker 3: You know, being with the quarterbacks, right, so we can you know, you know, I get asked a lot about your opinions and Nick Wright's opinions. Hey tell them this, and you know the civilian comment on Nicks on Jared Goff, Well, Jared Goff doesn't have to play Lamar Herbert, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, and Patrick Mahomes in the first, second, and third round. He's gonna draw Jordan Love, who he plays multiple times a year. He's gonna draw I don't know, Geno Smith potentially, right, or Kyler Murray or Kirk Cousins. So it's not even just the coaching, it's the quarterback matchup. Like you went in last year the AFC Championship game. You're like, listen, Mike McDonald, John Harbaugh. They have as good of a chance as any coach who's played Andy Reid, Sweet, Steves Pagnola over the last six or seven years, going back to Belichick and Josh McDaniels. But then that quarterback matchup, you're like, uh, Lamar's getting tight, Mahomes is loose. Well, Jared Goff Watson last year he went toe to toe with with Stafford in the first round, right, And this goes back to a couple of years ago when they didn't make the playoffs any ended Aaron Rodgers' career in Lambeau. Remember, it was like, well, Jared Goff can't play outside. He turns into a pumpkin. And that was a moment. And I forget the date, but it had to be like January fourth or fifth. He looked good, he was excellent, have essentially the game winning passed the end of ice the game, and ever since they've never looked back. Honestly, they're they're a field goal decision from Dan Campbell of potentially beating the Niners by a couple of scores. I mean, they had the chance to kind of nail in the coffin if he just kicks a field goal, unless we can argue to we're blue in the face. But they were kicking their ass, and so to me, then you get the think about this, if they get the home field advantage, you know, as the one seed, they only have to win two games, and then the super Bowl obviously is in a dome, which plays perfectly to them, so their speed. Honestly, they would probably love to get the Chiefs because how the Chiefs score with them? Yeah, right, it gets a little more difficult. You know, if Lamar can go on a run or Josh Allen go on to run, because those teams can score points, and if they got into a situation like that, they could go toe to toe with them. But if they get into a position where you know, the Chargers or the Bronco, you know, one of these other teams. They would not match up well against Detroit because Detroit gets twenty points in their sleep right and if they're on, they get to mid thirties. No problem, even with guys dropping like fly.
Speaker 1: Yes, did you know that feeding your lawn regularly builds a stronger, more resilient lawn that naturally crowds out weeds. Scott's turf Builder products provide a year round feeding with essential seasonal solutions for your lawn. They have a subscription plan that makes caring for your lawn easier than ever. They put their expertise to work by analyzing the location, size, and condition of your lawn to create a custom plan for your yard, and they'll ship you the right product to apply at the perfect time. It's easy by answering only a few short questions about your lawn. Scott's experts half the program that's right for you in your yard. Visit Scots dot com to learn morre. It's really easy. Feed your lawn. Feed it, Okay. I want to spend ten minutes on college football. So my prediction before the year was Ohio State would lose at Outs and Stadium would play Oregon again and beat them and would play in the National Championship against the Texas Longhorns. So right now, Texas and Ohio State, in my opinion, looked like the two best teams along with Oregon. Notre Dame Penn State also very very good. So again, it's big brands. You could put seventy four teams in this tournament. It just doesn't matter college football even more than college basketball because you have to have depth in football because there's a regulated level of violence. I thought, Ohio State, I think Ohio State, Texas and Oregon feel like the best teams. I thought it was interesting against Indiana. I thought the game would be close. I liked the Buckeyes close. I thought it was a real moment where everybody was selling me. BYU, No, everybody is selling me Indiana. They just they look nervous. Special teams, gaffes, they just didn't look they didn't have the power, they didn't have the arsenal. They looked nervous. And it was funny. Josh Howard got some crap as they were rolling to a win. Signette's coat. Yeah, Will Howard. Will Howard, who's a good quarterback. I don't know if he's an NFL guy, but he's a good quarterback, big kid, you know, makes play, don't.
Speaker 3: Like him plays who were like, I'm kind of into this, Yeah, I kind of like him. I kind of like him.
Speaker 1: Somebody probably drafts him. He's hard to evaluate because they're old lines historically, not this old line. But you know, they've got NFL high round receivers and running back, so he's a hard guy in Ohio. Stato's has so much better personnel than everybody in the conference, you know, but Michigan and Penn State on an annual basis. Now Oregon has their kind of level of talent. But it was funny watching Indiana get up there, and some people were bothered by this gesture Will Howard did at the end, and it's it's really funny. I'm like, guys, Indiana came into that game, and for a team that has never won a huge college football game in my life, I thought came in with a lot of attitude and a lot of a lot of bravado, and I had no problem with Will Howard's gesture at all. And it's like, if you're going to come into the ring against the perennial world chaml okay, and you're talking shit, then if they if they do a little gesture, I don't want to hear about it. And you know, Colin, you didn't like Baker Baker. Mayfield did about nine different gestures at Oklahoma. This was Will Howard two seconds. But I kind of found myself. I thought Indiana was obnoxious, a little cocky coming into the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well starts with the coach. I mean, he's got a big opinion of himself. And the second half looked like the little kids versus the big kids. And if all these other teams hadn't lost as the day went on, I would have had no problem leaving Indiana at home. Listen to I like you, I didn't go to one of these schools. Like I'm a Big ten guy or an SEC guy. I'm just an unbiased lover of college football. Anyone making the argument like just watch the games with your eyes. We have the evidence of the NFL draft picks where all the talent is. I'm watching the SEC games on the road. You know, Oklahoma, I'm sure they got five or six guys on defense They're going to be drafted. And one these environments on the road are so hard in the SEC. If you put Indiana in the SEC, I think they struggle to sniff eight wins. I think they get rolled, and obviously they benefited this year from playing nobody. They just they're a great story and I appreciate it. But up until all these other teams with two losses lost last night, I would not have cried for them if they didn't get the invite to the dance. Now, just because of record, they probably will, but I would bet on them to be one and done. Yes, and see it and listen like I listen. I know you talked to Clad a lot. I can't fathom watching all these games and thinking the Big ten talent and well, they're six and six and their six and six. We'll just watch the two team play. Yes, watch the speed of guys on defense at Auburn, who's I don't even know what their record is five, they're gonna end up going five and seven. The talent discrepancy between them and Wisconsin on defense is fucking wider than the Grand Canyon. And yet we argue this every year. It's like, guys, take a deep breath, let's just watch the games and go like, no one says that about the Big twelve. We all acknowledge, Yeah, the Big twelve is a fun conference, but it's not that talented. But we always argue, like the Big ten in the SEC, Well, if you removed Oregon, the Big Ten would be terrible this year, right, And let's face it, this's not a Big Ten team. You guys just got them this year. So it's like Ohio State's carrying you. The rest of your conference talent wise looks down. I watch the SEC, and I get it. They got a lot of three and four lost teams. The talent on their teams is night and it's just harder to play more talented teams. On top of that because of the television networks now they're playing all these night games, these road night games against a bunch of NFL defenders is way more difficult than the Is that even arguable this year? No?
Speaker 1: I mean I watched Oklahoma. I thought they played a perfect football game against Alabama. They just were well coached, They were buttoned up, their quarterback had movement, they they were kind of they gave Alabama some fits. I mean, I watched that game and I was like, Jesus, Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: They're good on defense. They have NFL guys on defense, well, venables coach Clemson a bunch of pros, like he knows what it looks like. Offense is gonna be a problem for him, but no one's gonna argue that Venables in his defense is gonna be good. No, and they handled Oklahoma. I thought the same thing about Auburn. I'm like, I don't know most of these players on Auburn. Shit, they sure look good to me.
Speaker 1: And you're a former NFL scout y, yeah, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Like, but doesn't that jump out sometimes when you watch these SEC games, even when their records like six and six, well, you're like, listen, I know they're struggling to win games, but they got talent on.
Speaker 1: The roster if it doesn't really matter how mny I mean, I think Ohio State, Texas, Oregon, Notre Dame, and like a like a Georgia Ole Miss. I don't really buy Penn State. You know they've beaten them there.
Speaker 3: Because they didn't play anybody and they only had the one tough game.
Speaker 1: And they're lucky becaus Washington Miss.
Speaker 3: Is out probably right, But if you told me Old Miss played Penn State on a neutral field, I'm taking Old Miss.
Speaker 1: Som and I think Jackson Dart actually is going to be like a second round pick. So I mean they have the better quarterback. You know, it was funny, I.
Speaker 3: Florida is a good example, aren't they. I'm watching them, and I'm like, you put them in the if they made the twelve team tournament right now and they were playing Penn State in the first round, where's most of the money coming in on that game? Florida on Lagway if he's healthy on Florida right and if you told me Florida played Notre Dame, Like, I'm not saying that Florida would win that game, but you can't tell me that, like you would be surprised if Florida won.
Speaker 1: So I want to throw this at you. You know my connection to USC. I'm a homer, so I was saying this. It's it's not the South as La is distracted, You're going to be more patient. Jen Cohen's not running Lincoln Riley. The boosters aren't going to step up and pay them the seventy million 's old or whatever it is, or they're building a three hundred million dollar facility. The nil collective at USC is thirteen million. They're not writing another check for Lincoln Riley. But I was texting somebody inside USC athletic department. I said, if you beat Penn State in overtime this year and you had the opportunity overtime at Coliseum, I said, you would have beaten LSU Penn State, your rival with nine returners on offense. If you just go get a quarterback like Oregon did in the portal, you bring back the entire offensive line outside of center, all of your receivers, all of your tight ends, and you have you had a very good recruiting class last year. Defensive line the best they've had since Pete Carroll, but they all red shirted. And I'm like, you're a quarterback and maybe a defensive tackle and a corner away from being really interesting. And somebody said, hey, thanks for the optimism, and I'm like, now that's what you really are. Like with Brian Kelly, I don't know what I get. Week to week USC's games, John, they all look the exact same. They lead in the fourth quarter. I mean, take the Michigan game out where it felt like they were playing from behind, they were playing Chase. Every game looks the same. They just don't. They're not good enough at quarterback and they're too young on the offensive line to seal it.
Speaker 3: But I was.
Speaker 1: I was talking to a friend about this, and he's in the South, and I said, it's just different out here. It's not the beginning and end. They're not no boosters riding a fifty million dollar check for Lincoln Riley. They just paid three hundred million for facilities. And I said, when I look at coaching, I said, do I get the same kind of team every week? Brian Kelly's a bit of a mess and he's not really likable people like, you know, the players like Lincoln. They're not a lot of guys transferring. The coaches like give me built a nice staff. So my take on USC is they're the advantage to being non sec is you get another year to two. Shit, they kept Clay Helton around forever and he was over his skis your thought on.
Speaker 3: USC, Yeah, I would fall under the USC guy that you texted that you're a lot more optimistic than me. Yeah, I mean, they're they're probably gonna get killed this week, right and be six and six. So last year was a devastating year for Lincoln, right, it was. It was not thought of highly and they had a better record than this year right in a conference too that was really down. So you look back the Michigan and Minnesota. Minnesota is actually pretty good.
Speaker 1: On the Washington did a rebuild, Michigan's did a rebuild, and UCLA's and rebuild.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, like, let's use Texas analogy with Sark. Sark started just buying sweet players and maybe it's more just the Texas boosters and every it's a little more aggressive there with football, Like they knew they were going to the SEC. They have cared for a while, they've been dying for like make money. Right, they were lined up. I wonder if USC, so far removed from Pete, has the same aggression, Like if there are six or seven guys that can immediately change your organization or your program. You know Caleb Downs, I saw you tweeting about him yesterday, Who's immediately transfer portal? And really probably three teams put all their chips in the middle tables, probably Georgia, Texas, Ohio State. Right, Well, can USC start swimming in that end of the pool. Because I do understand if I'm a USC guy or a booster or someone around the program like a liner, I go, well, I know for a fact, given the rules that are at play now. When we were here with Pete, we would have Caleb downs. Maybe we don't get them, but he's definitely taking a visit and having long conversations with all of us. And it doesn't even feel like USC is dealing in that. And like the slow build, like there aren't slow builds anymore. You can quick flip it. And that's why everyone's down on Brian Kelly. It's like, you guys are in year three? What's going on here? Right? And that's where I wonder if Lincoln is he going to recruit hard enough? Is he going to be able to do that in terms of like, listen, I'm not Ohio State guy, but I do respect whoever the Caleb downs is this offseason. You bet you're ass that it's Sark and Ryan Day on the phone with that kid. Well, because they got the money. Well does Lincoln out of them? And Dan Lanning?
Speaker 1: Well the knock on Lincoln and I think it's fair he doesn't recruit Southern California. Well, he has not engenered himself to Southern California coaches. He can be prickly and precious and sort of you know, he's a small town guy. Sometimes he feels aloof and that does not work in high school recruiting.
Speaker 3: Do they care enough? Look at Michigan's a good example. Right, they had Harbaugh and they got that taste the last three years and it was incredible. And then this year's going couldn't be going much worse relative to what they've been. All of a sudden, it's like LSU is getting this quarterback. No, we'll rally the money, get Larry Ellison on the phone, and all of a sudden, we have some package of ten to twelve million dollars. I don't exactly. There are a lot of discrepancies how the deals structured, but we will pay you more than anyone else. Why because we care that deeply. We care that deeply. And it feels like, you know, when USC was in their heyday, they really really cared. Oregon has maintained that right from Bellatti to Chip to heal Rich to now through Landing. Well, hell feels like it doesn't feel like USC cares enough.
Speaker 1: And I think that's fair. I think Jen Cohen, the athletic director does. They're collective thirteen million, so they I mean that people have stepped up. But the economy in Los Angeles is bigger than almost you know, it's bigger than Canada's, so it's you know, are certainly thereabouts. So it's fair question.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't SHOULD'TY be able to outbid some of these? You know, if LSU and Alabama want a kid in the transfer portal and they're willing to pay X, shouldn't they pay X plus another twenty percent?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I am the guy.
Speaker 1: Yes. I mean it's if you look at sports from baseball, I mean, there are salary caps, but I think players know who's committed. I mean you can see it in the NFL like free agency, like people know Philled has committed people, San Francisco has committed, Chicago's not, and players can sniff it. Players can see it and smell it and feel it. And I think your questions are what I hear from my friends, and I'm probably more patient and too optimistic. I think that's that's reasonable. I will say this, and I heard it again today from somebody I trust. The fastest rising quarterback is going to be Jalen Milroll. He can be a bit robotic, it doesn't look pretty. But if Minnesota keep Sam Darnold as you're suggesting, and many will. There's gonna be seven teams that need a quarterback. Somebody's taken that guy. I mean if the Raiders, I mean we know the Raiders, Giants are taking quarterbacks. You start looking around this league, it's gonna be another three teams taking quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: I don't I'm not trying to pivot away from college. But we didn't talk about this guy in one quarterback move could obviously swing if a team needs the guy, and clearly this team does. But Rogers and wood Johnson at each other's throats. You are you shocked at uh Poshins than his owner. He's never had an owner, and now you know they're going at it. You can tell like some of these leaks coming out about Aaron, who do you think is leaking that? I would defend Aaron of like not doing the scans that was the story, because he just goes these guys are gonna leak anything that comes out. So it's I don't trust anyone here in everyone's well, he doesn't trust anyone. I think this is a specific thing. He's already going this Jets. But this gets back to Aaron. You had a pretty good in Green Bay. This is what a dysfunctional team looks like. And now you're looking at this crazy owner, all these people in the building. You don't trust any of them, Like this is what shitty NFL dysfunction is. And you signed up for this. You wanted this, You wanted out of Green.
Speaker 1: Bay Well Woody Johnson, Robert Sala, they played Aaron's vanity. They flew out to Malibu. They you know, got in, got into his house and sat down with Aaron, and you know that stuff. Aaron wasn't heavily recruited.
Speaker 3: He gave a first round pick for him. Who else was giving up a first round pick for the thirte Aaron.
Speaker 1: Aaron went to a junior college. Aaron went to cal Aaron wasn't heavily recruited. I totally get Aaron, you know, being seduced. He had to. Then he goes to Green Bay. He sits behind this Messiah far I get Aaron Rodgers being seduced by the pitch, Like, I totally get it. It's like these high school guys that go to the G League. You know, they never get pitched by a Bill Self or or you know, some elite coach. They don't get they don't get pitched. So when they eventually do the first time, you know. And so I think the two things that I would say about Aaron Rodgers won. He got very after that Super Bowl. He got a little snarky, a little passive aggressive in Green Bay, and he had a lot of leverage because there's no owner to tell him to just settle down. There's no owner, And I felt far of an Aaron Rodgers couldn't be different people. But in the end, for both of them at Green Bay, there wasn't an owner to sit them down and say you want to be here or not, and they kind of manipulated Gouden Kunst or whoever the GM was during FARV they kind of you know, Mark Murphy was there. But I always call it the Green Bay Packer quarterback syndrome. There's no owner to call you out on your stuff. And so I think Aaron, you know, got seduced. And then he goes to New York and he figures, you know, they got a good roster like Brady and Tampa. He get roster. The sala is a good looking guy from the Niners. So that's the first lesson. The second thing, though, we have to be completely upfront about here is I'm just going to start naming quarterbacks in their prime in the NFL. Mahomes, Allen Herbert, Lamar Goff, Sam Donald Frankly right now, Sam Darrow, Joe Earle, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray, who didn't play well today. He's not close to those guys. John Aaron's Jordan Love is probably a year away from being in his prime because because we're where he sat for years. Aaron doesn't look like Justin Herbert. He doesn't look like any of those guys.
Speaker 3: He doesn't look like Geno Smith.
Speaker 1: He doesn't Gino made some big off script plays today against Arizona like Aaron is. The other day, I was just writing down names. I was sitting here at home, you know, watching something. I'm writing down names. I got to about seventeen, and I'm like that, that's kind of what he is. Right Like, We've got to be honest. The grass is nose greener, and Aaron's an under earthing I was told years ago about Aaron. He's not a grinder like Drew Brees. In the offseason. You can tell John forget football players. You can tell when somebody takes care of themselves in life. You can see if they've had too much to drink in their life. You can see, you know, the ruddy complexion. You can see when people are overweight. You can see when people haven't taken care of things. You can walk up and you know, look somebody up and down in thirty seconds and say they've lived hard, they've dried too much, they've eaten poorly. Aaron did not have a reputation who's aging well. You know, Brady aged well. Breeze lost his arm, but you know aged well. Big Ben did not right. And so I think with Aaron he's aged very quickly. And part of it was his off seasons were Aaron's. He's he's he worked out, but he wasn't a grinder. He wasn't he wasn't obsessed with it like Peyton Manning. And again I'm not saying mahomes can't get a dad bod for three weeks and shut it down. But I think Aaron has aged poorly. I think he's aged very quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think that injury last year accelerated the process at an exponential rate. And this year you got a guy that you know, it's probably a couple feet away from being out of the league. You know, so these stories, whether they you know him and Woody, they end up cutting him or the season plays out. I don't think he has other options, and a lot of other players always say, well, he's got this resume at forty forty one years old, make a lot of money. The headaches Now, I think I'm not saying that it's a one percent no one touches him, but it falls off quick, right, And I think once you get this reputation, there's a lot more quarterbacks in the NFL, Like, would I rather have Sam Darnold's for fifteen twenty million dollars or take a chance on Aaron Rodgers, especially if I'm a new coach, right, some of these coaches that it's my first year, like let's just let's just settle everything down. And I think it's proven that Aaron's not gonna settle everything down type of guy.
Speaker 1: John Middlecoff Three and Out is his podcast at the Volume, former NFL scout. We chopped it up for an hour and twenty two minutes. It looks like to me, as always, John great, great talking.
Speaker 3: The volume.
Speaker 1: Thursday night Football is on. It's only on Prime video. Best season yet pack with big, big rivalries and even bigger stars al Michaels, Kirk Kurbstreet, Kaylee Hartung. Every week Games you can't miss. Coverage begins at seven Eastern with Football's Best Party TNF Tonight Thursday Night Football Tonight. If you're not a Prime member, no problem, sign up thirty day free trial, cancel any time Thursday Night Football and it's on Prime Video. Restrictions apply. Seeamazon dot com slash Amazon Prime for details.