Speaker 1: And now proper watching my mic back like that.
Speaker 2: Just striking water headporters. It's behind in the in the porters.
Speaker 1: If you're just tuning in to Civic Cipher, I'm your host, Brandy's job.
Speaker 3: He is Ramsey's job. I am you Ward. You guys are once again tuned in to so b Exciper.
Speaker 1: Be sure to keep it close because we've still got a lot more show for you. We are going to be discussing more in depth how white supremacy arms white people. And before you start making up your mind on what I'm about to say, a lot of this research came from Forbes magazine, so there take that. We're also going to be talking about uh stainless steel and the inventor of stanless steel, because you didn't know that and I didn't know it either, So we're going to learn together and so much more so. Now we are going to discuss becoming a better ally b a Ba Baba and Today's Baba as promised, is sponsored by a brand new sponsor for the show, Unknown Union, the fashion house situated at the intersection of meaning, innovation and culture. For more information, check Unknown Union dot com. Good Guys, Well male and female, Great brother and sister. Great people's That's what I want to say. But please check them out if you are in fashion. All right, today's Baba comes from Newsweek. Thousands of Christians is signed an online Oh. First off, forgive me, this is a little late, but I did want to mention it so it'll sound a little dated. But I know that already. Okay. Thousands of Christians have signed an online petition by Faithful America demanding Tennessee House Speaker Cameron Sexton's resignation. The outrage comes as a response to sex organizing a vote that expelled to Democratic Tennessee lawmakers from the House. The lawmakers, Representative Justin Jones and Justin Pearson, spoke out of turn when they supported a youth led protest calling for gunner control following the shooting out of Nashville elementary school that left three students and three adults dead. Representative Gloria Johnson also spoke out of turn to participate in the protests. Tennessee Republican lawmakers have been accused of racism after they expelled Jones and Pearson, both black men, but by one vote, Johnson, who is white, was able to keep her seat. Now the better ally. Part of this is the Christians, the thousands of Christians who signed an online petition by Faithful America because rarely in this space, this space meaning Civic Cipher, do Q and I both get to shout out Christian folks were behaving in a manner consistent with what we know to be christ Like. So become a better ally by behaving like the people that you purport to worship. Once again, amen, all right, so let's talk about some ways that white supremacy harms white people. Again, a lot of this came from Forbes. A lot of this was some other independent research that we put together for today's show. And I do want to shout out Janice gassam Assare, who contributed hugely to what we're talking about today and in fact wrote some of this stuff. So before we get into this, I think that for much of my life, I thought of it as white supremacy benefiting all white people, and that to be white was to have like a golden ticket, which in many ways it is in this country. That's to a person like us.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I haven't seen that disproven.
Speaker 1: So okay, so let me tell you my story. I grew up. I met a kid named Kevin when I was little. Okay, he grew up to become Blue Leg CAF. He was three years old when I met him. I was seven years old, so I was always older than him, his big brother. So all of this stuff, for those that are familiar with the blot Leg CAF, all that stuff came from my CD books and my jerseys and all that, right, But I would go to his house and spend the night with him, hang out with his family. And Kevin grew up very poor. He grew up in an environment where there were a lot of drugs. He grew up where there was a lot of hopelessness, and a lot of the people that looked like him but older were into criminal activities to get money for drugs or to whatever to change their station of life. And I spent so much time with him, and of course I spent time in my own house, that I was able to see a lot of similarities and a lot of the things that I felt were issues in black life, they weren't not issues in his life. I knew that they would be a bigger issue over here, but that didn't mean that it didn't affect him. Just the same. Now I'm going to make this come to life a little bit more as I kind of go through these, but you'll start to see what I mean. So I'll start one of the ways that white supremacy arms white people government programs. For those that are familiar with Chelsea Handler, the comedian, she had a twenty nineteen documentary called Hello Privilege, It's me Chelsea. In this documentary, Handler visits a group of white women from Orange County, California, and a discussion about white privilege ensuites. Women share their belief that people of color receive unearned privileges and unfair advantages in society in reality, In reality, the group that benefits the most from affirmative action programs are actually white women.
Speaker 3: And just to be clear, when he says in reality, he doesn't mean in the opinion of ramses in Q. He means the statistics in the data back that last statement.
Speaker 1: All right, let's put this nail in this coffin. The irony of this is that white women, according to reports, are actually some of the staunchest opponents of affirmative action programs. In addition, the US Bureau of Labor Statistics reports.
Speaker 3: Because the US and US Bureau is United States, not US.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love them when you put that punctuation, you know, that exclamation point there because it needs to be said. I appreciate that again. I'll say it again. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, thank you, reports that white people are the largest beneficiaries when it comes to government assistance programs. Remembright, I told you Kevin grew up poor. Now growing up, there's always been this attack on government assistance programs for families who are having a tough go at life. What they were always trying to do was single out black families. And if you, if I promise you, we can't do it today, well I'll do a deep dive one day, maybe for a way black history fact. But trace this all the way back to the Great Depression and see the origin story of these government assistance programs and see how they benefited white people. See how the tax code that was an active in this country was designed to help white people and harm black people. Like, there's so much stuff. There's racism. Racism is so many different things.
Speaker 3: This next line you're about to read, I'm about to please.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna skip it, but you know I love the fact that we do this show because I think that I love the fact that you keep it real. But I can learn all this stuff. I can learn that this country hated me from the moment I was born.
Speaker 3: I love the past tense that you put on that you were. I appreciate and admire you more than you could possibly imagine, sir, I can't I just because there's an hopeful there's a hopefulness and optimist optimism in Rams's spirit that is long gone from mine, and there's a balance that's required.
Speaker 1: I think that you're a little bit more based in reality, and I'm a little bit more optimistic about the future and those that's where we tend to focus our energies. But I think I'll do what you said. I'll read the next line. Racialized phrases like welfare queen have propagated the false narrative that black people, and particularly black women, are the ones who unfairly benefit from government programs. Now, we talked about a football player once upon a time on the show who was benefiting from the welfare program. Right, I think he was about as white as Casper the Ghost. Right. I don't know his name. His football dude he's a famous dude. I know that because I heard his name. I just don't know his name.
Speaker 3: His name is Brett Farr. That's him, So google Brett Farv. Is that a welfare que in Mississippi welfare? Because I feel like there's a lot to impact this, That's what I've had it.
Speaker 1: That sound like a welfare king to me. You probably got more money in everybody. But listen noth of that, and he was already rich that part. But I want to go back and reread this again because it's important to mention this. Some ways, white supremacy harms white people again government programs. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that white people are the largest beneficiaries when it comes to assistance programs. In other words, white supremacy creating the false narrative that black people are disproportionately benefiting from welfare programs, causing far right politicians to attack government assistance programs will cut the knees off of needy white families way more than it will cut the knees off of black family because of the amount of white people that are benefiting from it. Again, check the US Bureau.
Speaker 3: And white people who would benefit from such programs, and do benefits from such programs vote in contradiction of those benefits something, because not because they don't know that it affects them, that they don't they know that they're benefiting from it, but because they think we are too not gonna be able to do it.
Speaker 1: So again, being white supremacist yourself causes you to maneuver in such a way that it ultimately is to your detriment.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: I also want to mention the Affordable Healthcare Act, which was rebranded by conservatives as Obamacare. We're talking about healthcare again, government programs, right, it helped.
Speaker 3: Did you guys hear what Ramas just did?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: He just did it to mimic what they did the Affordable Healthcare Act. It's very hard to stand opposed to that. When you have tens of millions of people that can't go to the doctor when they're sick. It's hard to ask those people to vote for you while you oppose something called the Affordable Healthcare Act. Right, But if you can racially charge a group of people that you know will respond the way you want them to with regards to black people, you call it obamacare. You know, the black guy that you guys don't like it's his program. Forget that it will benefit you. Just go out there and work against him with us.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm glad you said that, because I remember seeing all of the interviews at that time where people would get interviewed and like, so, what are your thoughts on Obamacare? Oh, I can't stand Obamacare. The country is going you know what, So what is it about Obamacare that you don't like? Well, I don't know too much about it, but I know that Obamacare is not good for us because you know, we got to be able to pick our Well, you can't pick your doctor under Obamacare. Well, you know, there's there's some things wrong with it, and I don't know the particulars, but I know. And this is I remember this was incredibly prevalent at the time. So many people had so much to say about it, and they weren't saying anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those same people are still being interviewed, the same people. Somehow, their reporters are going out and find the same people for people they feel about critical race theory. I hate it. Well why I don't know. Oh, okay, understood.
Speaker 1: So watch this. The Affordable Healthcare Act helped white families four times as frequently as it helped black fans four times.
Speaker 3: Doesn't sound like a lot.
Speaker 1: That's four hundred percent more. There you go. So so for again, people pushing back against it based purely on white supremacist ideals, like if you want to be critical of a government program by all means if you want to help it get in better shape by means. We're critical of government programs here, namely the police. Right, we're not saying that. But if it's purely based on race and no other factors, then we call that white supremacy. And then you start to see how it works against even our Caucasian brothers and sisters. Because no matter what, I will always say, even these people that hate my guys, you are my brother and you're my sister, and I hope that you find your way. All right, let's move on some other ways. White supremacy harms white people and stifles innovation, creates corporate blind spots. I want to share this example that I learned when I was in college. Okay, so humble brag here. I went to school, have a master's theory, right, don't need it to talk on the radio. But that one, okay, went to business school, and I learned marketing in my undergrad and did a case study on Colgate as in toothpaste toothpaste. I wanted to sell Colgate toothpaste in Mexico. Right, it seems simple. Let's let's let's sell in Mexico. There's tons of people there. Let's get some money. Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 3: We already got the US on Locke.
Speaker 1: We might as well get some of that Mexico money. Pay something in Mexico. Absolutely right, smart move, except when you don't have diversity, when you have white supremacist ideals either like in the front of your brainer, kind of tucked in the back where it's we call those implicit bias implicit biases. There you go where you're just like a room full of white people, and you feel surprisingly comfortable. There's nothing missing here. Let's just go to Mexico and do what we do in America. Right. What you end up with is putting a product on a shelf called hold that thee not coldgate, hold that the and cold ate in Spanish means go hang yourself.
Speaker 3: Oh that'll move a lot of toothpaste, so or not.
Speaker 1: And that's just one kind of lighthearted example but there's tons of examples like this, where again we're talking about how white supremacy stifles innovation. I'll read a bit more. Research from Mackenzie found that racial and ethnic diversity also led to greater financial returns for corporations. One of the main tenets of white supremacy is the belief that whites should live by themselves in a whites only society. When there is no diversity within a group, the same ideas, thoughts and beliefs create an echo chamber. Organizations with a homogeneous makeup will find it challenging to remain competitive in the future as the country becomes more racially diverse. In other words, you should probably have somebody on your board, in your c suite, in your upper management, in your middle management, that looks different from you, no matter what color you are, right, because we live in a world where there's lots of different colors. And the truth is global enterprises will survive into the future. This is like the highest tier. The final form of capitalism is that global corporations will consume everything. That's the only outcome. Once drones start delivering everything your mom and pop shops down the street, Once AI takes all the jobs global corporations, and how do you sell in Africa where there's high illiteracy rates. You can't put a picture of a baby on baby formula because they think pictures represent what's in the jar. You have to know that, So you need people who have experience beyond your boardroom to inform you that if you put a Gerber baby can a baby food on a shelf, people will look at the baby face and think you blended a baby and put it in a jar. They won't know that it's for baby food because of the hype of literacy.
Speaker 4: That's a hyper literal example, but thank you. You guys can translate, all right, So let's move on some other ways. White supremacy harms white people, ruining the environment.
Speaker 1: We all got this one.
Speaker 3: We laugh because the actuality of it is terrifying. This is not a potential outcome. This is a real life happening right now to us, tragedy that only happened because of people's personal political agendas tied to their love of capitalist white supremacy, only singularly, because the outcomes have for decades been obvious and disgustingly avoidable if we weren't so greedy so shortsighted and so racist.
Speaker 1: Let me make that live, please, all right? Ruining the environment. In some ways, white supremacy harms life, and less understood outcome of white supremacy is that it's harmful to the planet. Hob Hopkins wrote, you can't live or sorry. You can't have climate change without sacrifice zones, and you can't have sacrifice zones without disposable people, and you can't have disposable people without racism. Environmental racism is defined as the disproportionate impact of environmental hazards on people of color. White supremacy supports them belief that whites should have dominance over people of cover color. This dominance manifests in different ways, including the treatment starting the treating of BIPOC communities as disposable. So let's talk about Flint, Michigan. There's a lot of black folks who live there. Yeah, shut out, Is it all black people?
Speaker 2: Don't?
Speaker 1: Nope, absolutely not. Some white folks live there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but those are the poor whites. Yeah wait, well yeah, but they've been convinced that they have nothing in common with their poor black neighbors.
Speaker 1: Well, then let's move on.
Speaker 3: So they support policy and politics that are championed by their richer white supremacists quote unquote allies, colleagues, cohorts.
Speaker 1: It's a weird world.
Speaker 3: We let they go out in March and vote against their own best interests to continue to support white supremacy. But I'll let you continue.
Speaker 1: That's not the only one. We talked about Jackson, Mississippi and the water there eighty percent black, right, but that's not one hundred percent black. But we can go all the way back to Hurricane Katrina, the slow, lots of lethargic response.
Speaker 3: There hundreds of thousands of misplaced white people, maybe millions of misplaced white people.
Speaker 1: But because there's a lot of black folks there, so again a lethargic response, limberistic response by the government. Let's talk about fracking on indigenous lambs.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The long and the short of this is that white folks were affected, are affected, have will always been, and will be will be. But there's this narrative that allows white people to insulate themselves from these issues because again of implicit bias, and because of the fact that oftentimes our perception is reality. It's perceived that we live into different Americans, and that's not true. There's one planet, one country. Okay, all right, so let's add a few more points here before we move on. Even if there were no black people, Mexican people, or Hispanic people, or Latin people, Asian people, Native people, right, even if everybody was white. What we've seen, what history has shown us, is that even white folks will stratify themselves. Who's the blondest, What nation did you come from? You know? This is what white supremacy does. White supremacy will even eat white people. And this is what we're seeing. There's no escape. It is a monster.
Speaker 3: I used the word misplaced earlier, I meant displaced white people and all of those communities that suffer from all those problems Hurricane Katrina, Jacksonnsissippi and flat Michigan with the water, and several other things that have happen throughout our history. What we know is that capitalism praise on the poor, right, and because there are so many more poor than rich people, capitalism should collapse. Except if you can take those of us that are white and convince us that are our kinship and our bond as being white is more important than the fact that I'm standing on your neck as well, then I can get you to vote and support things that benefit me because I'm also white. I'm rich, you're poor, and so are everyone that you live with in.
Speaker 1: Our realities are entirely different. Yes, but we have the same skin. But we're both white.
Speaker 3: So that's not understand with the Mexican, Asian and Black people that live in your community.
Speaker 1: Stand with me, so let me let me let me put another one here, police brutality. Police brutality is often associated with black people, but police violence affects white people too. Why do you think the police and culture exists? Why do you think police are so well protected? Is because they need to be protected from black people. Guess what. It puts a barrier between accountability for white folks too. He saw in Mexico the other day police kicked in a door in New Mexico, killed a man dead. Wrong address. Well, now it's time for the Way Black History Fact. Today's Way Black History Factor sponsor about Underground Beach Club from the Streets to the Beach for the finest in beachwere visit Underground Beach Club dot com. All right, today we're talking about James A. Parsons Junior was born nineteen hundred and lived through nineteen eighty nine. He was a scientist, inventor, and university professor whose research with rust resistant medals and iron alloys was credited with leading to the development of stainless steel. During his lifetime, he received several patents pertaining to medals. For his achievements, Parsons was highly respected among his peers in the scientific commun and widely regarded as one of the nation's leading metallurgists. Just so you know, there's a lot of science words here. I don't know how to say. I'm so bear with me, all right, here we go. James Albert Parsons, Junior was born in Dayton, Ohio, on May thirty, nineteen hundred. His father was a butler in the home of an executive at the Durion dur Iron Company. I think that's a dur Iron company, a metals manufacturing firm. When Parsons was young, his extraordinary ability in mathematics came to the attention of his father's employer. Parsons attended Steel High School in Dayton, and, after graduating in nineteen seventeen, turned down an opportunity to attend the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland. Instead He took an interim job at the Durian Company as boundary laborer, and in nineteen eighteen began his undergraduate studies at the highly competitive Rensseller Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York. Durion provided Parsons with summer ployment while he was in college in nineteen twenty two, Wrenslar Yearbooks. Yearbook describes Parsons as hardworking, ambitious, and popular with his peers. His love of music gave him the nickname Jazz, and his dormitory room was a hub for aficionados like himself. He was also known for his love of smoking a big black pipe and being generous was sharing his tobacco with friends. Yearbook notes that Parsons spent a lot of his spare time at the pool and was such a skillful enthusiastic swimmer that some of his classmates call him Fish Parsons. He studied electoral chemistry and electoral metallurgy while majoring in electrical engineering, and was a member of the AIAA Club. After wren Neisseller, Parsons returned to his hometown and was hired by Dryan in nineteen twenty two the job of analytical chemist, a position that was certainly more fitted to his credentials and intellect then boundary labor. He worked with aluminium bronze and made a lasting contribution to the Aluminum Bronze Foundation. In nineteen twenty seven, Parsons won the prestigious Harmon Foundation Award in Science, the first of its kind, for the advances he made with rust resistant non corrosive medals. His gold medal was presented by Orville Wright, one of Ohio's most famous sons, and Charles Kettering, an acclaimed engineer, gave the address for the event. During the early nineteen thirties, Parsons continued to rise through the Dryan Company ranks.
Speaker 3: That's Orville Right of the very famous Right brothers corect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. In nineteen thirty five, Deryan had a reputation as the sole world manufacturer of specific kinds of non corrosive metals. A nineteen thirty nine article in the Journal of Negro Education mentions that the president of Dryon wrote Parsons laudatory an appreciative letter wrote him a laudatory and appreciative letter, praising his performance and his valuable development work, as well as commending him for his patents for the firm. With the patents, the firm had been credited with sorry because of parsons accomplishments. Citing parsons executive ability, the letter indicated that he was not only superlative in his chosen field of electoral engineering, but could hold his own in chemistry and metallurgy. Between nineteen twenty nine and nineteen forty nine, Parsons received eight patents pertaining to the development and application of non corrosive metals, which were credited to the Deryon Company. In nineteen twenty nine, he received a patent number one million, seven hundred and twenty eight three hundred and sixty on an iron alloy, and four years later he acquired another patent for discovering a way to make silicon iron compounds. In nineteen thirty four nineteen thirty five, Parsons acquired additional patents for inventing a process treatment of silicone ally castings. During the two year span between nineteen thirty eight nineteen forty Parsons received three patents on corrosion resisting ferris alloy, not one to rest on his laurels. He achieved an additional patent on a sementation process for treating medals in nineteen forty three. Parsons was awarded his final patent in nineteen forty five for a nickel based alloy.
Speaker 3: Parsons was a bad boy man.
Speaker 1: I'm skipping a lot of this because I can't even read the words. Listen. He's doing the most all right, According to Margaret Peters, who interviewed Stevens and has written extensively about the notable Black Ohions, six of the patents were issued solely to Parsons, one was issued to Parsons an earl rider, and another was credited to Parsons and Guy Baker. All of the patents were assigned to the Dryan Company. Parsons scientific achievements did not go unnoticed by the African American academic community. Wilber Force University, a historically black Ohio university, award, awarded Parsons an honorary Doctorate of Science at its June nineteen forty one commencement. In the nineteen forties, Parsons became the chief metallurgist and a laboratory manager at the Deriding Company Parsons Department, which was comprised of an entirely African American staff, with chemical expertise, researched aluminum, bronze, and tested treating iron and steel to be resistant to the corrosiveness of assets such as sulphuric and hydrochloric. Parsons was so successful in discovering new measures for testing and protecting metals from corrosion that by nineteen fifty he was widely recognized as one of the nation's leading scientists. An expert on rust resistant medals, James A. Parsons was dedicated to excellence. Its patents are a testament to his abilities to achieve beyond the ordinary in his chosen field. His career as a college professor shows his willingness to share his knowledge and skills with future generations of engineers, scientists, and inventors. And I do want to say, because of time being short, we did leave out a little bit about his time as a teacher, and we left out the entire list, the timeline list of his patents. Like I said, I kind of just picked some of those.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he got like nine and all of the numbers are in the millions, so we would have been reading for a long time. I'm trying to get him.
Speaker 1: Numbers and this is radios numbers wouldn't have meant nothing to you, but there were patents.
Speaker 3: It's suffice to say.
Speaker 1: But again, James A. Parsons Junior, another person to look up next time you're in your kitchen dealing with your silverware or you know whatever. Just know that this is kind of the origin story for all of that, and another origin story that I did not know about, you know, And I do want to say this while we got a couple of seconds left. A lot of times, really basis, white folks try to say that we're trying to say that black people invented everything, and that's not true. We recognize that white folks invented a lot of stuff and everyone right, But we want our seat at the table and we want our acknowledgement. So that's what this is for. With that said, that's going to do it for us here on Civic Cipher. So once again, i'm your host, Ramsy's job he is, and I am q Ward. Thank you again for tuning in. As always, be sure to.
Speaker 3: Lock in with us a right subscribe, like comment share. You can even come on and hate if you will to. We appreciate the engagement. Come talk your your stuff, talk your stuff all.
Speaker 1: Right, and here's how you do it. The main place YouTube YouTube dot com slash Civic cipher c I v I c c I p h e R. There is no why. Also we're on social media at civic Cipher.
Speaker 3: I am rams' job, I am qward and that's at civic cipher of earthing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, made it reel simple. We own it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So and of course you can download this in any previous episode from our website civi saper dot com. And if you pass about it for me, you got anything else?
Speaker 3: I got nothing else for you. Well, y'all plenty, but we don't have time.
Speaker 1: All right, We've been in that case until next time, y'all.
Speaker 3: Case pace, y'all, like yo, we had to live.
Speaker 2: These brothers are fabulous that our lady showing you where romb trampled this world speak tons from sunlight to move, busting on stage like gonna fights the row my mic back. You're like that jonal list with journalist too. We can strike back all borders with waters from headquarters behind and the beline sides up and the borders the press passing.
Speaker 1: We bring it to you as it happens.
Speaker 2: The streets love popping from music and wrapping the street compand to slash b xpando, You're gonna fight the slander with the proper propaganda.
Speaker 1: What's happening?
Speaker 2: How You've got a question and asking the Deuce's just a TV show, Get past it? And this from a white wartime joonalist headlines wait up, preps and recess like this life what like this Like