Speaker 1: Man, what's handed man?
Speaker 2: You got more Shaw, Besma Lynch.
Speaker 3: Doug Hendrickson and Gavin Newsome and you're listening to politics.
Speaker 1: You know to be you known to be.
Speaker 4: So, Gavin. I saw the recent Menendez stuff with the DA. I actually just finished watching the six part series on Netflix. What's your thoughts?
Speaker 3: Well, it's interesting. I met with the team that put that series together about nine months ago and they gave me heads up. They said, watch see what happens after this series is is released, because it's going to generate a lot more conversation around whether or not these guys should be released or re sentenced. And here we are fast tracked not so many months later. But one thing is crystal clear. This is what I do for a living every week, including no bs. Literally today we go through all the pro board recommendations. I was working on pardons independent of the Menendez brothers and commutations today as well, particularly this time of year around Thanksgiving. It's not atypical for a governor to do that. And obviously the team has done a lot of research and analysis of what the DA's decision means doesn't mean obviously it has to go back to the courts or at least the DA is asking for recendency, which has to be approved by independent court. And then the question is if they approve eligibility, then it goes to the pro board and then ultimately will go to me for decision either to reject the pro board send it back what we call en banc, or to approve the recommendation.
Speaker 4: Well, Gavin, I'm not the DA, or the attorney or anybody else, But like I said, if I have daughters and a son, and I think back in those days when he talked about sexual stuff, no one thought it could happen to kids. And if that I was all true, then hey, you know what they did what they did, they had to and they've paid their they paid their price for the crime, and they should be out and the rest is history. But it's a powerful story. I remember it like it was yesterday when I watched a try when I was a kid, and you know, they've done thirty some odd years, and like I said, if the facts are true, would happen, then let them out.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting I think when we think about our lives, I mean, I think our parents would remember, you know, Manson as an indelible thing.
Speaker 4: But for us.
Speaker 3: I think it was OJ and the Menendez brothers, which was so much part of the narrative our lives, and there was such high profile cases. Maybe Scott Peterson would even fall into that category, but here we are. It's it's a hell of a thing. I mean, there's been so many you've probably seen half of them. I haven't, because you've been talking about the Menendez brothers for years and year as long as I've known you. Because there's been documentaries, there's been series that have been done, but no doubt what Ryan Murphy did with this series really lit things up. I think social medias lit things up. I don't know about you, but I'll tell you. I can't even tell you how many times my kids online have said, Hey, what's going on with the Menenda's brothers, and like, how the hell do you know about the Menendez brothers Because it's really lit up TikTok and Instagram and the chat rooms and as a consequence, the conversations, are you right about conversations we didn't really have when we were kids about sexual assault and conversations abound sentencing? But look, I don't none of that stuff for me matters. What matters are the facts. What matters is justice and fairness. Not treating them any worse because they're celebrities, not treating them certainly any better because they're celebrities. But the DA looked at the facts, he at least made his own assessment and feels like they should be resentenced thirty four years for murder. Now it's a double murder. You know. I've seen people twenty five years be released, not for double murders necessarily, but single murders. And this is obviously some new compelling evidence that was introduced, and so we'll see where the judge goes well.
Speaker 4: In closing, Galvin, I appreciate everyone's thought energy into this because these are never easy in regards to all levels of victims and families and things like that. So I applaud everyone's thought in this process, from the attorneys to the media to again the Ryan Murphy and and everybody looking at this saying at its best, because that should be the way it is, not only just with the Menendez but anybody who's been involved in something that needs a second look.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, this is one thing we do is is California is always about second looks, process and justice.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: To your point, it's about the families, it's about victims, and and you know to the extent that there are family members that are supporting their release, that's something you consider. And I'll tell you one thing just may not be familiar with everybody that's listening. One of the things that's perhaps the most determinative when you come up to the pro board process is what kind of prisoner have you been? Have you been focused on your rehabilitation, have you taken responsibility for your crime? And whether you're coming out more of a broken person or you're coming out as a better person, and all that is also determinative. So any assessment that we make, I imagine that the judge and the resentencing will also look very very certainly, the pro board war will is look at the imprison conduct over the course the last thirty four years. Did they invest in their own rehabilitation? Have they committed to being better people outside those prison walls? And all those things again are compounding and considered in the context of whether or not to move forward and support a recommendation. If they're approved the pro board.
Speaker 4: Well, you got a busy couple weeks, Kevin get after it. Hey, guys, we have we have our we have our incredible.
Speaker 3: Guest, Doug, why don't you introduce Miss Silverman.
Speaker 4: Well, hey, listen, Sarah. This is an honor for me because you are a rock star and for the politic and podcast listeners. Our incredible guest is a two time Emmy winning comedian, actress, writer, the host of her own Unbelievable podcast called The Sarah Silverman Podcast, currently on tour with the Post martem Tour, and she is one of the funniest people I've ever met seeing uh listen to and we want to welcome Sarah Silverman.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Sarah, Well, thank you everybody.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Sarah.
Speaker 1: How are you.
Speaker 6: I'm great.
Speaker 5: I was just listening to y'all's I want to come up with a theme song for politick.
Speaker 7: In politick In.
Speaker 6: You freestyle too, Yeah, I'm very very good. Watch this. Come on and listen to politick In.
Speaker 5: Don't be a chicken that bars.
Speaker 2: I mean, I got your ad libs. So however you go, We're gonna make this ship work. It you keep fitting that ship and I'm gonna carry it.
Speaker 1: I got your ad libs.
Speaker 6: Mar Shaun. I'm such a big fan.
Speaker 5: I saw Bottoms on a plane and came home and immediately watched it again that that movie was the best movie of the year.
Speaker 6: Really, I think, like I don't.
Speaker 5: Get why it to me, it should be seen as like changing comedy, like moving comedy forward, like the way super Bad was or something like that is a teen movie that is like right on the cusp of where comedy is now.
Speaker 6: I just I thought.
Speaker 2: It was first of all, thank you and I appreciate that to the young ladies that I worked with over there, you know, I told him thank you for you know, giving me the opportunity. But we was up for two awards for for that in the endie.
Speaker 1: Fam Awards, Oh Spirit Award, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Best the best movie, and then I was nominated for like the New Artists or New Actor Ship something like that.
Speaker 6: It was the New Actor Ship, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The New Actor Ship some high over. That ship worked. But it was cool though, But just I mean I appreciate uh yeah, I mean I appreciate the love though. That's big, Sarah.
Speaker 3: What what do you say the new comedy? I mean, are you serious that? It's like I mean, it sort of expresses itself in a different way from I mean his comedy evolving and in real or it's always evolving.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's always evolving. It has to change to survive. I mean, listen, as someone who's been around for a while, you can go if you existed.
Speaker 6: Ten, fifteen, twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: Five years ago, it's hard to not be in trouble for things, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: If you're like a.
Speaker 5: Reverend back then you're fucked today, but you're not.
Speaker 6: You're still around. But it's I think it's important.
Speaker 5: It's a kind of microcosm of really what all people should be doing, which is growing and changing. And you learn new stuff and you're like embarrassed that you cringe at the old you and you're reborn as the new you, and you have to find ways to be funny within those parameters. But I mean, like I think, and I bet it. Maybe it's this way with sports and or politics or agentism, but like boundaries or like, yeah, like limits can help even though you fight them, because they force you to figure out something within those limits and you end up liking it better, even if it's like the worst executive note or something.
Speaker 6: You're like, this guy doesn't even fucking get it.
Speaker 5: But then you address the note in a way that you love and it's even better, like you know how limits can be.
Speaker 6: They can help sometimes, you know.
Speaker 4: But Sarah, I totally agree that The Bottoms it's funny. There's kids now that come up to me and say, Hey, is that the guy from Bottoms? And it's not. Hey is that Marshawn the famous player? It's Bottoms? And I saw it in the theater as well, and I'm like, dude, this fucking guy is really fun I've always known Morshaw's funny bean ad Asian for twenty years, but he was really funny. The movie was legitimately off the Sharks good.
Speaker 5: It's a fearless movie. And it's not just like you don't go like, oh, that's a girl's comedy or something because it's mostly girls or the leads are girls. You don't even think about that. It's just hardcore funny, yeah.
Speaker 1: For real. And they they was, they was, they was. They was great to work with.
Speaker 2: And I mean, you know they body of work after that, you know what I mean, I see I keep up with them.
Speaker 6: I owe a debris.
Speaker 5: I know well, I know her for she was like a little comedian, you know, and now she's.
Speaker 2: They all good, So I was so I remember, so I played a trick on myself because I had a uh what is called a monologue?
Speaker 7: Yes you did, so I'm like.
Speaker 1: Oh ship, I ain't never did no ship like this before.
Speaker 2: So I you know, I mean, I'm going around talking to all of the casts like hey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so how you do this ship? And they're like oh yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm stressing, like, oh man, I don't know if I'm being able to do it. And so we get to set and the like you'd be all right if if in doubt, just do your own ship. And I was like, what you you trust me enough to do that? She like, I don't know, but we're gonna figure it out together. I'm like, oh ship. So the first one I just was doing some oh shit, I was just talking. She's like, no, that was great.
Speaker 1: Do it again.
Speaker 2: And then I was just able to recite the actual the lines and she like, oh you did it work for word type shit? She like, now can you do both? Can you just hit these key points and then just do your other shit. I'm like, all right, let's give it a try. And I think that's the one that they actually went with. So yeah, I mean that was really helpful, especially, you know, I mean because that was at the time, that was the biggest thing I have done so far, so you know, I mean it helped me, you know, I mean get comfortable in a sense where there's some shit I ain't never did before. But something that I told him that my uncle Lee used to always tell me, is come on, let's go drink some Hennison and do some shit we ain't never done before. And then we started pushing them limits. We start pushing them limits and making that box that they put us in a little bit bigger. So yeah, but to see that, you know, people you know outside of just the sports world, actually, you know, tell me I did a good job. I mean, that shit is helpful, That shit is big, So thank you.
Speaker 6: Ay ready, Yeah, I mean, your instincts are great.
Speaker 5: You know, some people's just they've got their instincts and that they you know, and a lot of times what gets people in their head about acting and it keeps is like, oh, I am not doing this right or I'm not everyone else has done this longer, but everyone has just only done it. Everyone's had their first time. And also just to not get in your own way and trust that just you.
Speaker 2: Know, fuck it, yeah, because right now I'm shooting a movie right now, and this was the first time that I had a table read, so I didn't know what the fuck do you expect? And I think I'm the only person on the on the table read, like everybody reading their lines and shit, like what's on the page and I'm just talking shit. So after the uh so, after the table read, the director come up to me.
Speaker 1: I was like, you did this for her?
Speaker 2: I'm like, hey, oh no, he like and that shit was great and all of the other cashman was like, how did you know to do that? I'm like, shit, I didn't. Y'all just made me hella nervous. All these people sitting around just looking at me. Read like read named my strong point, you know what I mean. I was a special resource kid.
Speaker 6: So I'm a slow reader too.
Speaker 5: But you know, when you're a slow reader, you're sometimes a really thorough reader.
Speaker 6: That's what I like to think because I'm a really slow, labored reader.
Speaker 1: And I like the way you put that.
Speaker 3: By the way, Sarah, and you got I heard you had some technique the last time you were reciting some lines, you had some earpiece or something.
Speaker 4: Someone was I mean, this is merchan.
Speaker 3: This said maybe a pro tip from Sarah. She had someone in her ear literally giving her the line.
Speaker 7: The next lines, it was myself.
Speaker 5: Well, I had to audition for that movie, Maestro, and it was like a nine page monologue. There's not a world where I'm going to learn that in a few days and put it on. So I just read it and read it and read it and read it and read it, and then I record it and then I put it. I got a sound guy who had an earwig put it in my ear.
Speaker 6: I put it in my ear and I recorded like this, you know, so you just saw the.
Speaker 5: Side and then I press play and I would say the lines. You know, I hear myself say the line, and then I say the line. And I'm pretty good at listening while i'm.
Speaker 6: Talking, you know.
Speaker 5: So I just did that and it looked like I learned the whole thing. And the truth is, with acting, it doesn't matter how you do it. You can I could paste my lines onto the forehead of the guy who's off camera that I'm talking to. It doesn't matter if it looks real, that's all that matters.
Speaker 4: Well, Sarah, I got to be honest I've all you've been one of the coolest people and I love your work. Going back as a kid, were you always the funny one in the house or in your friend grew up in school? Did you grow up that way as a young kid.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, that's definitely how I got by.
Speaker 5: I mean, I feel like comics one hundred percent of the time they being funny?
Speaker 6: Is there?
Speaker 5: We all as kids we learned survival skills that get us through childhood alive, and they don't always serve us in adulthood.
Speaker 6: Then we have to try to unlearn that stuff.
Speaker 5: But with comics, we just we had to become funny to survive, you know, kind of, and then it helps in our lives. But there's probably certain things to unlearn that would make us healthier. A lot of comics don't want to go to therapy or anything because they they don't want to get well because they worry it will make them not funny.
Speaker 4: Like this, Well it was funny, Gavin, unlike you and I who have four kids with three kids, and we teach our kids not to swear. Sarah's dad was infamous in saying, hey, listen, I want you to swear, and did he teach you how to swear at a young age and what to say.
Speaker 5: You know, He's just one of those like dads who thought it would be hilarious to teach his little kid swear, and then I did. He would have me yell them out like we were at the market. And then I felt the one thing I remember, you know, I was like three, but I remember feeling like all this approval from all these grown ups despite themselves, like they didn't want to, but they were laughing in it.
Speaker 6: It made my arms itch with glee.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I wanted more and I could see how I kind of got addicted to like shock humor, and that's definitely what I was doing in the beginning of my career especially.
Speaker 3: And how did when did it get formalized? When did you actually get up on stage in front of strangers and start to realize you had a path.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 5: I went to this high school that they had assemblies, you know, like in bottoms and on Mondays and Fridays, and every once in a while they'd let me do like two minutes of jokes, you know, and my math teacher, he encouraged me. I was able to instead of messing up interrupting the whole class. I had one joke that I could tell at the beginning of every class.
Speaker 6: And then I had to be quiet and uh.
Speaker 5: And then between my junior and senior year of high school, I went to summer school in Boston and that's the first time.
Speaker 6: I did an open mic. And then I moved to New York when I graduated, and that was that.
Speaker 3: What was it? Did you have any particular was there?
Speaker 1: What was it?
Speaker 3: I mean those math jokes, were they mean just dad jokes back then? Or were they insightful?
Speaker 6: Probably joke book jokes.
Speaker 2: Was you more like freest out, like shit, I'm gonna just get up here? Or was this something like you read it you've written out?
Speaker 5: Sometimes it was like a joke book or something, or like some from a comedy album. But when I would go up at assemblies, I would do jokes about the students and the teachers and stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh so you've been roasting, Yeah, yeah, get on the head. That's what I'd be doing to my key is too, Yeah, gavint uh and Doug. I'll be busting jokes on the mono coon like there my two white sons though two.
Speaker 3: White sons, By the way, I never had to say. I never had the guts to say, Marson, you were funny because you do that Joe Peshi thing on me man knocked my eye. Yeah, I ain't gonna touch that. Like you're great, you were great. It was good, We're good, We're good.
Speaker 1: Thank your son.
Speaker 3: So, Sarah, what I mean, So you did those early stage things, But was it did you have a career mindset then or was just more iterative, it was more getting that sort of feedback and you just you found enjoying it or did you really have that mindset going as early as his high school in college saying this.
Speaker 6: I wanted to be comedian for sure. I wanted to be comedian.
Speaker 1: Was there who.
Speaker 3: Are the mentors then? Who were the who were there people you aspired to be at the time.
Speaker 5: Well, I loved Steve Martin of course, yeah, he's my favorite. But like my mom had like the Woody Allen double album and Albert Brooks.
Speaker 6: I loved Albert Brooks and uh, you know all that stuff. I don't know. I just loved comedy.
Speaker 4: But Sarah storting So it's like unlike unlike sports, where you're gonna go and you're gonna get drafted or you're gonna go to school to be a doctor or whatever it may be, so your career. So you're literally out of high school and you're like, you know what, I'm gonna go to the comedy club circuits and we're going to go to go to the small clubs and do your act. And is that kind of how it really starts, because there's no like script to say, hey, go do this and you get a book here, So you just would go into the city and go do these shows and it kind of continued and you did well and it kept going.
Speaker 6: Basically, Yeah. I mean I grew up in New Hampshire and.
Speaker 5: Then I got into NYU and I had a partial scholarship and I was a drama major and I did that for a year and then I was like, I was working at a comedy club passing out flyers on the corner of McDougal and Third, and I was working ten hours a day and then like sleeping through my classes, and I felt so guilty, you know, like trying to pinch myself awake. So my dad said, listen, if you draw, he said, if you drop out of college, because he was paying the rest I got, you know, fifteen hundred dollars a semester, and it's like twenty thousand dollars a semester back then.
Speaker 6: Now it's of course, so much more elitist college.
Speaker 5: So my dad goes, if you drop out, I'll pay your next three years of rent, like as if it's your sophomore, junior, senior year.
Speaker 6: Then you're on your own.
Speaker 5: And I said, okay, because I just I don't know. Going to college for drama it's not I'm not saying it's a waste of money, but I mean I could just take like an acting class or something.
Speaker 6: I don't know. I wanted to just get regular.
Speaker 5: I stole classes after that because all my friends went to NYU, So I just went to classes.
Speaker 6: They're big lecture classes. They don't no one notices.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: When did your comedy start? I mean of you know, taking on just the personalities to those in the room. You may talk about your teachers, may talk about other students. When did you start touching on social issues? When did you start? I mean, I know a lot of activism in your family, a lot of social awareness that that's been part of your childhood and your upbringing, but when did that start to take shape in terms of the comedy.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think because when I first started, I was really doing a character and saying really like the opposite of how I felt about things, and that was how I was able to talk about stuff.
Speaker 6: And then I got.
Speaker 5: More sincere or more just being the same person as I am on stage.
Speaker 6: But I don't know.
Speaker 5: I guess as things came up and I'm like reading the news and seeing what's going on and you know, so much bullshit. I think I was so blown awake because I was so young when I started that I saw all these people in politics or whatever, and they were grown ups. I couldn't believe the behavior. You know, I was used to grown ups. I just assumed they like knew better and stuff and they and then seeing the world around me or even like I worked at SNL at I was twenty two, and I'm like, these grown ups are crazy, like it just I just it was so surprising to me, sir who.
Speaker 4: Was on SNL then, because I mean, talk take me through some of the castmates then when.
Speaker 5: You're there, Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Phil Hartman, Spade, Julia Sweeney, Ellen Claihorn, Mike Myers.
Speaker 4: Oh this was this was the All Star year. That was? That was I mean, you guys were I mean that must have been fun. It was how fun it was?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh shit, yeah, he hella funny.
Speaker 7: Too, Yeah it was.
Speaker 6: It was crazy. Yeah, you know, it was a different time.
Speaker 2: It was like.
Speaker 5: There weren't other there were like at the time I was there, there weren't any women writers anymore.
Speaker 6: And it was before like an.
Speaker 5: Amazing change in in like the boys club that it was or whatever. I liked everyone. I had a really good time. But like you know, it was like the women's room on the seventeenth floor where we wrote was locked.
Speaker 6: You needed a key. The guys didn't need a key. We needed a key why to keep the guys from assaulting us? You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like it was crazy different times, but it was great too, you know.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's just like we lived through different times.
Speaker 5: There's going to be stuff about right now that will look back on them and be like can you believe?
Speaker 4: But as a young comedian that had to be like the Shangra law, like I want to be insured in that live and then you make it. You're like, oh my holy shit, I'm I fucking here.
Speaker 7: I made SNL yeah crazy.
Speaker 5: And then I was there for one year and then I got fired, and then and I go, am I in show business anymore?
Speaker 6: Is this it? But I just go back to square one? Did stand up again and back better?
Speaker 3: You've talked about that was? That was? That was a pretty raw experience, right, I mean getting I mean you're doing writing, you're doing the work there. But one year, I mean obviously came to a halt. I mean it would take some time to recover from that.
Speaker 5: I mean they changed over, like the whole cast and a lot of people changed. But I mean, yeah, I was shocked because it it never occurs to me that I would be fired. And then I got fired a bunch of times after that from jobs. So then I got Then I felt like any job I got, I wanted to make sure before I left to go to the set that I was still hired. But it's good, that's good experience. Like I've been punched in the face three times. I feel like you can really tell people that have never been punched in the face.
Speaker 1: Amen. Amen?
Speaker 3: So SNL is one of them? Whatever the other two?
Speaker 5: Oh no, I mean just literally, yeah, who punched you in the face?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: When I was passing out flyers on the corner McDougal, and third, I was trying to break up a fight between this like drunk gaggle of guys and the pluck you chicken who was also passing out flyers on the corner, and I got in the middle. I was like, hey, hands off, not out of bravery, I just is sexism, Like I didn't think they would hit a woman, but boy right in my temple knocked me unconscious.
Speaker 8: And uh like the industry, like, no, my dad and I have both been punched in the base three times.
Speaker 5: But I do feel like there is something about knowing you can take a punch and persevereering.
Speaker 1: Did you get your hands up? Then when I.
Speaker 6: Didn't guard my I didn't have any time to guard my grill.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you gotta keep protecting.
Speaker 2: That's crazy because we were just talking about it, like, uh, you know, individual when like when they sated, a lot of people come and leave with their hands, then I feel like a karate master because then I'm like.
Speaker 1: Wax on, wax off, usual words. What's up? How you doing? Oh yeah, man, I'm a huge fan.
Speaker 2: Like, okay, thank you. You can tell me that you ain't got come beating on me and ship. Oh cool you were you were a big fan after they hit me. Okay, you're a big fan. I'll punched their ass back.
Speaker 4: Is Sarah. One of the funniest things you ever did. Is I still remember, like yesterday the video you did h when you're dating Jimmy Kimmel and you said, hey, Jimmy, I fucked Matt Damon and the video and he did the whole video that was That must been the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 6: I just watched that video again and it really holds up.
Speaker 4: How to make that video?
Speaker 6: Three hours?
Speaker 4: Three hours? Well?
Speaker 5: The night Okay, So first of all, I had never like lied to you know, I don't lie, but I had to lie to him and say I was because I was on the road and I said I was wherever.
Speaker 6: But I was in Miami.
Speaker 5: That's where Matt was living with his family, and I was on tour, so I went through there.
Speaker 6: That's where we crossed paths.
Speaker 5: The night before I wrote the song with a cousin, sal and Tony Barbieri. We wrote the song, we recorded it, and then the next day we had three hours with Matt to shoot and we had a whole hotel and he learned it real quick and laid down his part of the song, you know, and then we just were lip syncing it and doing it in different parts of the hotel. We had dancers at one point. I mean, it came out so well, but it was quick. And the reason why he only had three hours was so sweet is because he at noon he had to go to his daughter's like Halloween pageant.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: But we got everything and it was a surprise. It was for his like a surprise birthday or something for.
Speaker 4: Jim if you haven't seen them more Sean, she was a surprise Jimmy with This was something he didn't know. And so she's actually on the show getting interviewed and she's like, I got something I have to tell you, Jimmy, but it's really hard and he's like, well, you can tell me anything, babe, like whatever. He's like, no, I don't know if I could do it. It's it's really hard and you got everybody here. Maybe we can wait till later. And he's like, no, no, just just tell me. And and so then she hilariously like plays the video rolls the tape on the tape in the table, you know, it's a video, and she's like, I fucked mad David and he's like, yeah, I fucked her, and it was just on and on. It's like the greatest video. I think it was download one hundred and fifty million times something like that.
Speaker 6: So it was like one of the.
Speaker 5: First you know, it was like the beginning of all that stuff. So it was like a viral video. And then it's so funny because after that people want to hire me and be like, we want you to make a viral video and I'm like, I don't decide that it's viral, and everybody wants to make a viral videos.
Speaker 6: I don't know how to do that.
Speaker 1: We just they got cameo.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 2: It was like, yeah, that was funny because I'm over here like hold on, so you you fuck mc damon.
Speaker 1: And then just those boys.
Speaker 6: In the video, well it was just pretend.
Speaker 1: Damn. The level of savagery. Savage.
Speaker 6: He loved it.
Speaker 5: Well, we were brushing our teeth before the show, and because it was the whole show was surprises for him, you know, he wanted it to he didn't want to know what was happening. And he goes, oh, I heard this video is great, and I was like, well, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, keep your expectations. It's just a video. You know that it came out good, by the.
Speaker 3: Way, speaking to come out good, you guys. You guys have come out well after a relationship. Now you guys are still close.
Speaker 5: And my boyfriend writes on his show, which is.
Speaker 3: Crazy your current boyfriend, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Show more.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's like a writer producer on the show.
Speaker 5: I know, And but I didn't meet him from ready we were dating, and then they called him and said, you know, will you comment savagery?
Speaker 1: And that is well, now you just got savage ridden all over you.
Speaker 2: You could take a punch, tell your boyfriend straight up, I'm fucking on cuz, and then sit, I'm fire my.
Speaker 1: Other I'm fucking him.
Speaker 5: I know he would to die or him, but I mean, it's funny because I remember Jimmy when we were together. It always bothered him that I was very good friends with my ex boyfriends. He's like, if we ever broke up, I wouldn't be friends with you. And I like to remind him of that now because we're, as he describes it, we're like brothers.
Speaker 1: Brothers. I love it.
Speaker 3: Hey speaking, we were talking earlier about just that some of the comedy are not even the comedy, but some of the things that we excuse is normal or we've normalized in society. We'll look back and go, what the hell are we thinking? And you even reflected just in comedic terms, you know, pushing those boundaries and sort of reflecting back. But I mean, you've been pretty fierce champion. And I think this is some many of a mutual friends, Bill Maher and others, and I think that's how we first met. Yeah, just free speech, this notion of free speech and pushing out the boundaries and going, you know, we've kind of had these iterations of cancel culture. I feel like we're coming out of another iteration over the course the last number of years, the last year or so, I feel like people are sort of pulling away. Where do you think we are in that, you know, in that journey as it relates to comedy, free speech, as it relates to cancel culture, just your own reflections over these many many years of doing this craft.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think with enough growth, emotional growth, we can get back to or to a new version of irreverence in comedy. You mean in terms of comedy of like real irreverence in comedy that will be more honest than the original reverence in comedy where it's like, you know, as a white person who grew up in New Hampshire and is so liberal and all these things. I was still so ignorant until the internet really where you go. Like I remember at one point going like, oh my gosh, there's like a real epidemic of you know, unarmed black teenagers getting killed. And then I realized like, oh no, this is this is how it is.
Speaker 6: This is how it's always been.
Speaker 1: It's always been now its just been.
Speaker 5: Doing that like edgy comedy that I was doing in that ignorance.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm so liberal, and.
Speaker 5: I can say because I don't mean it, it's it's bullshit. So but I would love to get to a point where we where there is real equality. I mean, will we ever get to like a post racist society? I hope so before we're before we are you know, completely dead, you know, from the climate or whatever. I hope so. And and only in like a real point like that, can we be super reverent in all ways that this is the thing you can get away with anything. But what is in your heart has to transcend that you go, oh, he can say that, because you know it's like.
Speaker 6: Somebody called into.
Speaker 5: My podcast and said, oh, I was listening to this comic I love, and he said this anti Semitic thing and it just broke.
Speaker 6: My heart and blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: Well, I happen to know the comic and the bit she was talking about, and it's hilarious and it's not offensive to me.
Speaker 6: It's obviously subjective because.
Speaker 5: I know that he is an ally or what you know, Like I know that he's not anti Semitic, like he's he's it's pure love and the story's brilliant and funny, and there's a character in it that you know, so you know, people can go like, I'm offended. Oh I get to be offended at that or that or that. There's a difference between that and something that.
Speaker 6: Really cuts you. And we have those dog.
Speaker 5: Senses or humans, you know, just that innate sense of like you know where it's coming from, if it is if it's ugly, or.
Speaker 6: If it's with love. That's the total.
Speaker 5: That's why when you see a transcript of something a comedian said, who's like getting into trouble. It's not fair because it's how they're saying it and who's who it's coming from. There's a difference, right, I mean, you just know there's a difference. There are certain people in your life that can say things and get away with it, and other people that cannot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I mean back in our day, I mean Richard Pryor and these guys. I mean the stuff they were saying where is often unbelievable.
Speaker 5: I mean that bit on Saturday right Live with Chevy Chase unbelievable.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, at Gavin's point, you went through a phase where you can say this stuf anymore. But now I think it's coming back. And I know Vince Vaughan said, along, didn't you have a long talk about that too, Like Hollywood's got to bring this back. People got to come back to what it was, which hopefully does.
Speaker 5: But what it was was incredibly white and incredible, you know. I mean, if you look at a movie from just ten years ago, it's shocking how white.
Speaker 6: You know, but that's how But that's it's great to.
Speaker 5: Be able to look back on that and go Jesus instead of like, hey, Joe, but we can still enjoy things about it, like you can still watch Friends and go, oh, this is funny.
Speaker 6: That's great.
Speaker 5: I love that show, even though it's like the joke there's so many homophobic jokes and it's incredibly white. But I don't I don't think you get you need to like throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Speaker 6: But now we see it.
Speaker 5: That's what makes it art is that you can watch the same thing that you watch twenty years ago, and when you watch it today you're seeing something completely different, but you can still appreciate it for what it is.
Speaker 6: Is in the time.
Speaker 5: It's from God, I'm so funny today on this podcast.
Speaker 3: No oh no, but it's But it's an important topic because I mean, obviously it's shaped so much of our politics and our life as it relates to I mean, and I don't want to get into the whole sort of woke world, but but but this noob.
Speaker 6: The woke mob there is.
Speaker 5: I will say, did you watch Peaky Blinders anybody?
Speaker 1: Nope? Nope.
Speaker 5: I think we have to watch it with subtitles because it's so hard to understand them. But anyway, it's like historical, it doesn't matter. But point being, there was like one point where the guy the star of it is talking about how the basically the far right and the far left are eventually just going to meet, you know, like the ven diagram of it, and I feel like, boy, I'm seeing that.
Speaker 7: I agree with you wild.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't want to get into it. But if you're a liberal Jew right now, it's fucking weird. It's just weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh well, And I appreciate not wanting to get into that right now.
Speaker 6: No, no desire.
Speaker 5: But I do have a friend who's a comic, Sam Morrel, who said the greatest thing and this is all I want to say about it Israel. But it's just like all you do is when someone brings it up, you just go awful awful.
Speaker 7: Then you get a lot of people nodding their head, everybody at all.
Speaker 6: It's fucking up.
Speaker 4: Hey, Sarah, take me through your history of of I know you've battled. It's been an open book on depression and whatnot. So has it been how has that struggle band growing up? I mean, you've had it? And are you Are you in like introverted depression person? Are you someone that's kind of battles through life and gets through it or because you've been You've it's been a chronicle, well chronicled, you know, open book of view, take me through that journey and where you're at now with that part of it.
Speaker 6: You know, it's just a constant thing.
Speaker 5: But you know, when I was like twelve or thirteen, you know, I was really outgoing, you know, friends, and then all of a sudden, like just all in one second, the whole world looked different, you know, like it was I guess chemical depression, clinical depression.
Speaker 6: And it's like like if you in both.
Speaker 5: Amazing and very scary depression, anyways, if you change your perspective just one degree, the whole world looks different.
Speaker 6: That's what it was like.
Speaker 5: I was like, all of a sudden, I couldn't I didn't want to hang out with my friends. I didn't want to be social. I didn't want to be around others. I just wanted to be in my bed watching TV or you know, like I just everything scared me. It was like I didn't recognize myself because I didn't recognize the world. Everything looked difference suddenly, and I didn't understand it. I mean, my stepdad, I remember, asked me like he was the only one who said like, what does this feel like?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 5: And I really thought about it, and this is exactly what it felt like.
Speaker 6: I felt like.
Speaker 5: I was so homesick, but I was home, so there wasn't anything to do to satiate it, you know, But that's what it just.
Speaker 6: Chemically what it felt like.
Speaker 5: And then you know, I was put on tons of drugs and it was New Hampshire in the eighties.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think they just it was crazy.
Speaker 5: Like at one point I was on four xanax, four times a day.
Speaker 6: I was thirteen. She's like, whoever that doctor should be in jail. I just felt nothing.
Speaker 5: I was like, but I remember thinking like, this can't be right. And then another doctor got me off slowly, and then I was over it, like I felt better. And then when I was at SNL, it happened again and I recognized the feeling right away. And then I was like, and I wanted to like quit Satay Night Live and move back to New Hampshire, which of course I didn't want, but like, that's what your brain does. And a friend another comic like got me a therapist, found me a therapist that I read a book about panic attacks that actually was really helpful because I learned that the thing about panic attacks is once you have won, all the subsequent ones come from the fear of having that again, you know, And that just helped mentally to know. It's like when you're a woman and you suddenly like everything, you just feel total despair, and then you realize that you're you have PMS and you're like, oh, that's what that is, and then you're okay. You know, It's just like knowing a lot of it is just knowing stuff like your mind, body experience that shit is truly connected.
Speaker 6: Otherwise, how do you explain nervous diarrhea?
Speaker 4: There you go, Mike, there you go.
Speaker 5: Drop like drop, Let's talk about weed, weed.
Speaker 6: And the legalization.
Speaker 4: What you like that, Marshaan, Well, yes, Marshawn can talk about weed all day long. In fact, we uh we just made our Gavin made Woody Harrelson happy the other day by putting some uh.
Speaker 6: I listened to the whole thing. I heard him very excited.
Speaker 5: Because you want to be able to stay out and eat and not if you're high. That's it should be as late as bars, bars are open till a million.
Speaker 6: Well maybe not in La I guess.
Speaker 4: Oh, there's more Seawn's product right there, Sarah.
Speaker 7: Doty look Jesus.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what is that just flower?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a flower. We're right here. We got lemon quaite and we got some patnd three point five.
Speaker 5: What I'm talking about is that part like supposed to sound like Tennessee and Patron.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little conclusion that we like to drink.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean we decided to name a strand after.
Speaker 5: You can you make a strain that's like, you know what I love when they roll it in Keith?
Speaker 6: Oh you know that powder?
Speaker 3: What the hell is any of this is.
Speaker 6: Pot but it's like the crystallized powder. Get your ass phenomenal. He's just a little puff.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's the only thing is weed is so strong now that you only need a puff. But like it's so communal to keep puffing.
Speaker 4: Well, don't smark with Morshaan and Sarah cause his puffs right, his puff will take that xanax like ten times over.
Speaker 5: I smoked with Snoop on it before we shot a scene for a movie. And I am not somebody who can like work and be high.
Speaker 6: And he is. He had he had nailed his lines. He improvised.
Speaker 5: He's so loose, but we'd I see it really help comedians they go on stage, they're high.
Speaker 6: The murder there.
Speaker 5: I that brings my two favorite things together, weed and stand up and makes it a nightmare for me.
Speaker 6: It has to. That's the prize when I get off stags.
Speaker 1: Oh so you reward or so?
Speaker 6: Yes, it's a treat.
Speaker 5: It's an everyday treat. As a matter of fact. When I'm done.
Speaker 6: Here, I am to play.
Speaker 5: I am to smoke weed and play call of duty and get on.
Speaker 2: Some far up, far up a jay. Are you more like the papers or you a bone?
Speaker 5: I like smoking joints, but I lately have been eating edibles.
Speaker 6: My son, my voice is my instrument.
Speaker 1: I understand you.
Speaker 6: But I probably will smoke a little bit, smoke a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, play a little bit, enjoy a lot. Sound like it sound like a pretty productive day.
Speaker 5: I it's that's my son. That's the perfect sunday.
Speaker 4: Like I told Witty, I've spent some great sundays at the it works.
Speaker 5: But we can we talk about weed in terms of like a radical transfer of power that you could do with regulations of some kind. I mean, I'm it seems easy because I'm just saying it, but I'm sure it's different, difficult. But with all the people that have served time, I just I get enraged when I think about John Baynor, who put laws in place that put people in jail for weed crimes nine out of ten or exponentially more people of brown and black color.
Speaker 6: Nobody brown browns.
Speaker 5: And they they should be not only out of jail, but given the opportunities of their main business that they were there for. John Baynor, now after getting having all these people go to jail, is the lobbyist for weed in Ohio and makes millions.
Speaker 6: Why is he making money? Also, I feel like all the red tape put.
Speaker 5: Around weed all these years, while it's semi legal, in all this stuff, I feel like it's holding a place for the big liquor companies and the big tobacco companies to have a stronghold over that industry when it's not their industry.
Speaker 3: All right, let me unpack this. So a number of things. When we were doing legalization in California and we were in the process, I mean, there was a couple iterations for legalization in California and Bayner was public enemy number one. He was actively opposing efforts across the country. So the hypocrisy is next level. And it wasn't just Bayner, it was guys like him in those positions of power and influence. But the whole movement, as you know, sort of originated with this social justice racial justice framework, certainly in California, and that's how it was ultimately presented to the voters. And the great thing in California, largest state obviously is larger than twenty one state populations combined, is that there was an expungement process your point, for people that had been convicted of nonviolent possession of marijuana. And so we had a process. We do a bunch of fairs, and we do events around getting people and cleaning up their records, getting people and having them get their records expunged. But it's still it's still a huge issue across other parts of the country that are not as as enlightened on the topic. But the point you just made, and I'll end on this on the regulatory side is each state has come up with their own regulatory framework and your one hundred percent right, it's holding back the ultimate success of these work. It well well stay well said, well said. So it's in needs we're going to see the national we need to see national leadership. Even you know, I think you're you're seeing it with the current occupant of the White House. Even the guy wants to get back to the White House is saying better things on the topic. So I feel like we're turning the page on this topic and we can get to larger issues of war on drugs and crack cocaine disparities that have also hated our past, and all the other issues.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but let's not teach that in school because we might understand our history.
Speaker 3: Oh, Florida, Florida removing Rosa Parks from the textbooks. Her race, that is, because it wasn't relevant with the anti woke raw. Her race was not relevant in the civil rights mom But that was an effort in Florida. They had changed the textbooks. There was a huge backlash and they corrected course. But Sarah ain't kidding.
Speaker 6: Kate Blanchette is playing Rosa Parks in a movie.
Speaker 4: Just kidding, Hey, sir, A question when you're on the road and you're I was curious, when you're on the road on your tour, are you are you taking in cities? Are you enjoying it. Are you there in like uh, you know, sleeping and and and playing call duty or you like cruising around the city is getting more bits more content? What's your What do you like to do when you're traveling.
Speaker 5: I'm not at a traveling with a PS five level of success, but.
Speaker 6: I do. I don't.
Speaker 5: I'm not as good like I have friends that are. They go, they they do all the sites they do and then they do their show at night. I'm more of like a ball of I'm I'm more stressed and in bed and avoiding dealing with working on my set and I'm trying to chill more and see But I but I have Like I was in Indianapolis and you know, I get up and at like four PM, I want eggs and there's just no place that's will have will give me eggs in Indianapolis.
Speaker 4: You know there's a place, there's a place called Steak and Eggs right across from uh Saint Omo's Steakhount. Actually it's open till five am. I go there every year for the combine. So there one place I've been there numerous times.
Speaker 5: I didn't find it, but I found one place. And it's like the gay bar in town. Called Downtown Olly's and we went at four pm. And let me tell you, the regulars there look like truckers with long beards.
Speaker 6: And I go, this is a gay bar. They go, yeah, no, we're gay. It's crazy.
Speaker 5: It's so cool to see like it was just a whole other world, you know, but the same world. I mean, we have to remember, like the United States is like the size of like twelve countries or something. Like people are really different wherever you go, but I love it.
Speaker 4: So who do you travel with? Who's in your like who's in your crew? Is it you and like a couple of friends, or is you solo and you're like your team or who goes with you?
Speaker 5: It used to just be me solo, and like at a certain point it's just sitting at like a gate at Southwest, and especially because I have a name with two s's, and you hear people like this, you.
Speaker 6: Know, and then it's like embarrassing. Although I'm a people for and like talking to people.
Speaker 5: But now I travel with my manager and that's great because I can be kind of free and she can be the one that's like looking out and then if like I'll have an opening act, maybe they'll meet me there or maybe they'll fly with us, depending on what part of the country they're coming from. But yeah, it's just every night a different city.
Speaker 1: You fly Southwest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so funny because like Chris Rock and Chelsea Handler before my last tour, we're both like.
Speaker 9: The last tour I did was the best tour of my life. You're going to love the road. And I'm like, but you guys are in private jets. It's different, but you know I I yeah, So, I mean, listen, I'm flying something called like Breeze Airlines when I go from Ohio to Charleston, South Carolina.
Speaker 6: I never heard of that in my life.
Speaker 3: But Southwest is Yeah, it's by the way Marsha and Southwest is the same airpline as well. My friend, that's my go to airline as well. There's no governor planes. Everyone thinks governors have planes.
Speaker 6: I don't mind. Southwest has a bad Rapvin.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you ever flew Southwest in your Southwest.
Speaker 3: I got a status brother, I got fifty plus round trips a year.
Speaker 5: But I do know marsh Sound's probably right when he gives you ship for never driving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he don't drive, And I know he ain't flow no Southwest, he.
Speaker 6: Can't be allowed to drive.
Speaker 7: But dangerous by the.
Speaker 3: Way, as Sarah, you're flying around Southwest for this new tour post bortem, right, this new stand up tour post bortem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, yeah no.
Speaker 3: And but it comes from you know, I mean, we could make light of it, and you're you do a magnificent job at it, but you lost your your you lost dad, you lost stepmom, and you infamously lost them within just a few days of each other.
Speaker 6: Nine days they died.
Speaker 1: I'll hear that moment, I think now.
Speaker 3: I mean it was, I mean literally was. It was last May?
Speaker 5: Right, it was a year ago, last May. So this is what this show is about. Usually I don't know a show. My show isn't like about one thing. But this is kind of like about one thing, and hopefully it's you know, it's funny, but it's it's a sad topic.
Speaker 6: But that's always what I do.
Speaker 5: I talk about the darkest reaches of humanity and you know, maake it into like a cum joke somehow. Anyway, great talking to all of you know, Sorry, you guys talk dirty.
Speaker 6: So I can say that.
Speaker 4: Marshaun was taught by Mama Lynch early and ages swear too, So Marshaw, yes, we we we Mama Lynch. Mama Lynch loves you, by the way, she's a loves her comedy, her comedics. But no, we do talk shit all day long, Sarah. We talked dirty all day long and we love it. And so let me ask questions, Sarah. Has there ever been has there been one show you've bombed on? You remember, like you walked out stage like, holy shit, these people are not fucking digging me. This is not going well and you have to improvise and try to sort it out. Was there been one show that you remember it's like this is not good, and.
Speaker 5: Not one particular show. I mean I've eaten bowls of shit on stage absolutely, like I mean, especially like before like I got an audience or anything like I'm not for I'm super duper not for everyone. But yeah, I mean one time, I remember I did a like a casino in Lake Taho. And usually I don't like a spotlight because I don't like being blinded. I like to see like the first few rows a little bit, you know, but this was like a spotlight. I go out, I do my first couple jokes and it's like barely anything, and I'm just thinking, oh, it's gonna be the longest fucking hour and I just power through it and I just go all to casino. Maybe it's empty, I don't know. And then the worst part was when I was done, the lights came up and it was full. I bombed it with a full crowd, and I mean, seriously.
Speaker 3: How do you recover from that? I mean, you can, you can laugh it off, but that's got a sting, right or what's the after a while if you just did.
Speaker 5: Like the other night, I felt like I had a shitty set, but it was like I wasn't enjoying it in my head, and that bums me out more than just like bombing.
Speaker 6: I you know, I.
Speaker 5: Bomb up a small enough amount of times that I can kind of enjoy enjoy it, but it's just part of it. It's like part of it. You can't just like anything. You really can't succeed without failure. You got to figure stuff out, and you have to figure it out in front of a crowd with stand up. There's only so much you can like practice in front of your bathroom mirror. You know, you got to go out and even Chris Rock. He's such an inspiration because he he'll do a special and then he comes back to the cellar and everyone goes crazy, you know, they're so excited, and then he's willing to disappoint them, like he's just trying new stuff and he has to do it to see what works, what doesn't work, what might be something, Maybe there's something here. It's like a process and you have to start at zero when you're done with the last special or whatever. You got to start at zero, and you're going to disappoint people.
Speaker 3: And do I'm curious, I mean, over the course of when you're doing your stand up show, over the course of many many months, are you constantly iterating doing new material throughout that process or do you stand pretty static in terms of what you know works or is that just the base? I mean, you go in a different city and you try on the basis of what is relevant in that town or community and play around with that or what's what's the what's the typical process for you?
Speaker 5: That always sneaks in, you know, because it's like kind of a conversation. You know, I'm mostly talking, but like you know, you're so yeah, I mean, I talk about what's going on or whatever. But mostly I'm really this tour. I have to figure out what this show is. I've got to figure it out because then I shoot my special like two thirds into it, and then I do a few more dates, which my biggest fear after I shoot a special and then I still do yeah, I still have dates before the special comes out, is that I figure out, like the perfect joke if it's too late, I've recorded it, but I you know, I'm hoping I haven't written my favorite joke of this special yet.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: It usually happens on the road. But the pressure is, like you, You've got to get it done, you know. And I'm shooting it at the Beacon in New York and it has to be done, and I'm directing it, but I don't know it will happen. I'm starting to be able to mitigate stress by just going like, what are the chances I'm not going to be.
Speaker 6: Ready and it won't and I won't get it done. Of course I'll get it done.
Speaker 4: Well, dude, that's amazing. It's amazing pressure doing what you do with the stand up stuff. I mean, I can't even I mean to go out on stage and do that night after night after night. I mean talk about you know, your stress galp and giving your speeches to the town. I mean, forget about that. You got you got an easy to But.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of it's totally familiar.
Speaker 5: Gavin, You're like, you're like energized by it. You like, look at this, You're Marshawn Gavin. You both have such high pressure, high stakes.
Speaker 6: I mean, Marshaan, you're retired clearly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but see I had a little bit of some car that helped me with that was I had a serious case of fucking.
Speaker 7: That's the best.
Speaker 5: You know why people like you like like that kind of success is so exciting because what it is is you didn't know what you couldn't do. And I feel like that could be a common thread in this here. You know you didn't It's just like the breaking the four minute mile, or like doing the first flip and skateboarding. It's always like no one can do it, and then one person comes along that doesn't know they can't do it, so they do it, and now everyone knows it's possible, so then they.
Speaker 6: Can do it. But it's interesting that.
Speaker 3: Was I mean when Roger Banister broke that four minute mile. I mean it was a half dozen people that next year broke it. It never been broken in human history.
Speaker 4: To your point, you don't know what.
Speaker 5: You don't know because they needed to know it was possible, but he didn't need to know it was possible.
Speaker 4: He started taking me through quickly. I know that, and I love by the way. I love your podcast. And the cool thing is you're helping so many people out. I mean so many episodes listen to. People are calling and asking like, I don't think you're a therapist, correct, I mean you're not a doctor, right, people who's.
Speaker 5: Been topy and so I think I'm a therapist.
Speaker 4: So Marshaun, everybody calls into Sarah, Hey I need help on this, or my boyfriend left me or you know whatever, and she's given this advice that you're going to pay thousands of dollars to and Sarah's spitting out game left and right to everybody asking her for.
Speaker 5: Count free crazy because I just when Stand Up went away during the pandemic, I was like, fine, I'll do a pot cats, but I didn't want to have guests because no offense.
Speaker 6: And I was very happy.
Speaker 5: Gavin textual to me but like my biggest fear is asking people to like come on my show or I have you came on my show? But you know, like to have a podcast every week that I have to like ask guests and friends, I just didn't want to. So I just wanted people to call in and that I like strangers and I want to like hear from people. And I didn't even think it would be people from like all over the world, not just the country, but so I just thought it would be funny or silly. But the callers really do the trajectory of the how the podcast goes, and it just got so heavy and serious a lot of the time, and people like sometimes they call in and I'm like, this is above my pay grade.
Speaker 6: I don't know the answer to this.
Speaker 5: But I bet other people will call in and they know the answer, and it's just become this really cool community.
Speaker 4: Is almost like Sarah had to like call like nine to one doctor and say, listen, I need your help. Have this person stay on the line, call call one eight hundred help and please take her off my phone call. But now it's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Hey, Sarah, just as we wrap up, I mean, obviously you mentioned the movie David Bradley Cooper directed, and you played I think his sister and uh and so, I mean, and that was a more serious role. And so is where's your trajectory?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 3: I mean, are you a goal oriented person? Or is it just I mean, are you just constantly sort of you roll in with this? But are you looking to do a lot more acting, more serious drama or or what's where you going to be in ten years? What's your what are your sins?
Speaker 6: I'm not a goal oriented person. I've never thought about it. I've never thought about like ten years. I want this.
Speaker 5: I mean, the only goal oriented thing I think of is I want to I live below my means and save up for when I'm elderly so that I can have healthcare. I want to be able to live with other comics and a nursing home that's like really nice. We have our own space and a common space and like nursing care and it's clean. So I have to be really rich and I have to save all my.
Speaker 6: Pennies for that.
Speaker 5: Besides that, I don't really think about it. I love doing odd jobs. I love that I get to brave mar Sean, like you're acting, you're doing this, I love doing all sorts of things and that just keep me interested and connected to people and stuff. I mean, stand up's my jam, that's like my identity, like that's who I am. But I do love acting, and it's sometimes it's hard because I like auditioning for stuff, like I auditioned for Maestro because people think that the people know me, you know, so they go, well, people aren't going to get lost in a character in her, but I can I do do it, you know. But it's hard to get seen that way because everyone it's like I'm not the kind.
Speaker 6: Of thing us like you go like, oh my god, that's you know. It's like Sarah, you.
Speaker 5: Know, like everyone feels like they like went to camp with me, you know, which I love.
Speaker 6: But it's it's a.
Speaker 5: Familiarity that is not necessarily conducive to like disappearing into a role.
Speaker 3: Marshawn, you must feel the same way, by the way. That's got to be I mean first, I mean, Marshawn, I imagine people come up to you with the same mindset.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, and then it's like it's like it's changed, like Doug was saying, like I mean there used to be individuals come up to me like, hey, you know, why the fuck Pete didn't give you the ball or some shit like that, And now it's like, yeah, I mean, I'll go out and they're like.
Speaker 1: Hey, mister G, Hey, mister G, what's up.
Speaker 2: And it's like, oh shit, well, they maybe maybe get lost in that character, or I played it well enough to where you know, I mean it ain't Marshan Lynch is mister G. So yeah, I mean maybe I did do something right or I just did something.
Speaker 6: Everything you're doing is right.
Speaker 4: Marshaun, You've you've done everything right, and Sarah you've done everything right. You are a badass, bad savage.
Speaker 7: You know what.
Speaker 6: I'm proud of all four of us