Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 3: It's America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 4: This is the Daily Show with your Holes school say Flue.
Speaker 3: Hello.
Speaker 5: First, welcome to the Daily Show, goosand.
Speaker 1: We got I'd like to.
Speaker 5: Talk about tonight, everybody's trying to get out of the Trump trial. Jordan Klepper is at the courthouse, and John Leguizama would tell politicians how to round up latinos.
Speaker 2: Oh but not like that. No, no, no, no, no, no like that.
Speaker 5: But first, let's get right to her ongoing coverage of America's most tremendously wanted.
Speaker 6: The whole thing is a scam.
Speaker 5: Before we get into Trump's trial, Let's be clear about which trial this is.
Speaker 2: Is it the classified documents trial.
Speaker 5: No, the January sixth trial, No, the Georgia Rigo trial. No, the sexual assault defamation trial. No, the real estate trial. No, it's the porn money hush love sex knew the trial. This dude treats criminal charges like pokemon. He's trying to catch them all. Now, to be clear, Trump is not on trial for sleeping with the porn star or paying her hush money. He's on trial because he allegedly falsified business documents to cover up the hush money, which could be construed as an unreported campaign expense. This is the most complicated plot ap porn Star has ever been involved.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 5: Oh so, these last two days they've been trying to pick yours, and so far they've chosen six.
Speaker 2: But it's been a lot harder than they expected.
Speaker 8: The first batch of ninety six potential jurors was whittled down to just about a third by the end of Monday. This morning, several more were dismissed, one because she had a scheduling conflict, another wasn't feeling well.
Speaker 6: Drewor had a wedding to get to.
Speaker 9: Another individual said that they're concerned about their dog and was promptly dismissed because like the other sixty five million American households that owned dogs. Frankly, it's of course going to be ad somebody's four friend and then.
Speaker 5: So wait, people who think about their dogs too much get dismissed.
Speaker 2: A jury with no white people. How is that fair to Trump? Just have them bring the dogs to court. I see you bringing them.
Speaker 5: Damn dogs to every restaurant I go to anyway, never stopped you before. Now it's hard finding enough jurors who have the time to serve, But the real challenge is finding Jews who have never said anything bad about Trump.
Speaker 10: Part of the day was spent examining prospective jurors old social media posts about Trump while the former president looked on. One juror was dismissed for having posted lock him Up, and another for sharing an AI video in which Trump appeared to say I'm dumb as I'm seeing to scowl out of twenty sixteen memes showing photos of him and Barack Obama with a caption, I don't think this is what they meant by orange as the new black.
Speaker 11: Damn Yo, this car is rousting down a trout. I thought this was a courthouse, not a high school cafeteria. He's gotta be thinking, I thought my dick was on trial, not myself esteem.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't it be funny if this is the first time Trump thought, Like, if Trump just found out people think he's orange, He's like, hold on, you're telling me my skin is not a natural color.
Speaker 2: You're telling me your sheets don't look like fruit by the foot.
Speaker 1: Crazy.
Speaker 5: But if you think the jurors were trying to get out of this trial. That's nothing compared to the excuses Trump was coming up with.
Speaker 12: Speaking outside the courtroom yesterday, Trump criticized a judge overseeing a case for not ruling on his request to pause the trial next month so he can attend his son's high school graduation ceremony.
Speaker 3: It looks like the judges isn't going to allow things. You will scare the scam to scam trial.
Speaker 12: Trump return of the issue later in the day, writing on True Social Who will explain for me to my wonderful son Baron that his dad will likely not be allowed to attend his graduation ceremony?
Speaker 2: You want someone to explain to your son for you why you can't be at his graduation?
Speaker 13: Big me, big me, listen, No problem, No problem, I I will do it.
Speaker 2: Hi, Baron, it's your auntie. The say bad news, Bubba.
Speaker 5: Daddy can't come to your graduation because he banged a porn star. Now, there was one person who actually wanted to be at Trump's trial for some reason.
Speaker 2: The person who wanted to be there was Jordan Clapper.
Speaker 14: Donald Trump's criminal hush Bunny trial started yesterday, but a few days Before that, he had a message to his followers.
Speaker 8: Seventy two hours until all hell breaks loose.
Speaker 15: That kind of rhetoric is really in sundiary and dangerous.
Speaker 14: So I went down to the New York County Criminal Court to witness the carnage for myself. Donald Trump said, all hell is going to break loose. Are you gonna go ape shit today?
Speaker 7: I'm not gonna go ape shit today.
Speaker 14: Are you ready to go ape shift today?
Speaker 7: I want to see how it plays out.
Speaker 14: But you're gonna slow walk the ape shit right, slow walking.
Speaker 12: Trump supporters are calm, peaceful tusters.
Speaker 14: Yes, yes, they would never rush into a federal building and try to disrupt you, saving Donald Trump. We never advocate for that outside of that January sixth. Then it is today, the January sixth of April fifteenth.
Speaker 7: Now what January? I was there in January six.
Speaker 6: Yes, I was there.
Speaker 2: Where were you inside the rotunda?
Speaker 3: Are you in the office?
Speaker 14: Where you holding a podium?
Speaker 7: Where were you? It was breached before we even got there.
Speaker 14: Because that is that why you're here early today, just to make sure you get that first wave.
Speaker 7: Well, I have done pretty go back and watch Americas most want it. I made a grand the fairy stand. When somebody said we got the week.
Speaker 14: To Sorry God bless, I'll said my tea bow. Do you think the crowd will remain peaceful here?
Speaker 4: I do so?
Speaker 14: Are you letting him down? Not come in with your A game?
Speaker 6: Where are your horns?
Speaker 14: I brought my A game, You brought a scarf, you brought needle hot handmaid man. You guys picked a qan on Schoman Yet yeah, so like a voodoo boogoaloo somewhere.
Speaker 7: That guy is so articulate and so smart.
Speaker 6: You're talking about the guy with the whole Yes.
Speaker 7: Right, he could smell shit copa amyle away.
Speaker 14: Is that why the QAnon shaman is so good at smelling ship? Because he was in the same room where someone was actually defecated inside the Capitol Probably, Well, there was more press than there were MAGA supporters. I did run into one January sixth B List star Rudy Giuliani's son.
Speaker 7: Ye I was in Washington, DC on January sixth as well. I was with President Trump.
Speaker 9: Sure I remember him talking about peacefully protesting.
Speaker 14: Some people were talking about peaceful protests. Some people also on January sixth, we're talking about trial by combat let's have trial by combat. You know anybody who was talking about that, Oh you.
Speaker 8: Know, look, I would say the peaceful protest is the most important thing.
Speaker 7: No trial by combat.
Speaker 14: Test first, No trial by combat.
Speaker 7: Do you guys even care what's going on inside the courtroom or not?
Speaker 14: Of course I care about what's going on in the court room. So let's establish some baseline facts about the trial. Do you think Donald Trump had sex bestrem me Daniels.
Speaker 6: Oh hell no, you don't think that.
Speaker 14: Now he was with Melania who Now he's just always been a one woman man.
Speaker 7: Listen, he probably hasn't been. But women have thrown themselves at Trump for the old Mighty Dalla, all those holes. They had three and a half years to go after Trump, for all these stupid trials. Why are they waiting till right now?
Speaker 14: Is it possible they're waiting till right now because Trump consistently delayed the trials? Has Labe Well? Trump complains about liberal bias. It seemed the most qualified jurors were outside the courthouse.
Speaker 2: Trump, do you think you can be an unbiased er?
Speaker 7: Of course I can.
Speaker 14: Do you have any feelings or opinions about how mister Trump is being treated?
Speaker 7: In this case, I absolutely do you do? Where are those feelings?
Speaker 16: I have feelings that if you commit a crime, then you should go to trial.
Speaker 7: Great, that's it.
Speaker 14: Do you support this trial?
Speaker 2: No, because it's not a trial.
Speaker 14: Oh well, then I'm sorry. There's no room for you on this jury. But apparently it was the venue itself that presented the most bias.
Speaker 2: Trump cannot get a fair trial in a ninety plus percent Democrat city like New York the city.
Speaker 14: Where can Trump get a fair trial?
Speaker 2: In the midwa in Ohio and Florida.
Speaker 14: He's on trial in Florida, he's on trial in Georgia. Will you accept the results of those trials?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 14: So the Maga sphere is ready for accountability, just not anywhere on this planet.
Speaker 7: Don't cover everybody.
Speaker 5: When we come back, John Leguizama will be here, so don't gommal a.
Speaker 13: Welcome back to the Belly Show.
Speaker 5: Now we all know that I've got great opinions, but I'm not the only one.
Speaker 2: Studies show that other people also have opinions.
Speaker 5: So here with another installment of in my opinion and is our good friend John Leguizamo, Yo, yo yo, what's up?
Speaker 6: What's up?
Speaker 4: I'm John Leguizamo, and I'm back and I'm more fired up than ever. That's right, because this election season, everybody wants to covet it Latino vote and a lot of you may not.
Speaker 6: Know this, but I'm Latino. Whoo oh yeah, yeah, I'm glad. I got that off my chest.
Speaker 4: Now, So thirty six million Latinos will be eligible to vote this November. We are the fastest growing population in America. That's right, fastest growing.
Speaker 6: You know what that means.
Speaker 7: We befriending.
Speaker 6: To the side, to the top.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, they'll say it says our vote is so crucial a Weello. Joe is working overtime.
Speaker 18: The Biden campaign is spending thirty million dollars. That's on top of twenty five million dollars they have spent on Spanish, Spanglish and English ads of targeting Latino voters.
Speaker 3: He met with a group of Latino voters at a Mexican restaurant.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I need you.
Speaker 5: I need you badly.
Speaker 14: I need to help come online, desperately needs your help.
Speaker 4: Oh Biden, you need me badly right here, right now. But we're married men, it wouldn't be right.
Speaker 6: Oh but yo, I got to say.
Speaker 4: I got to say, I'm impressed Biden is dropping over fifty million dollars on US people. Oh my, come on, the last time I white man spend that much money on Latinos, Ben Affleck was buying an engagement ring.
Speaker 6: Jay to the Low.
Speaker 4: So if Bien is spending millions to get the Latino vote, I wonder what Trump's doing to keep up.
Speaker 3: The Trump campaign.
Speaker 18: They've really just sort of recycled a campaign ad from twenty twenty.
Speaker 7: What the hell was that?
Speaker 4: Why does he like his He danced like he's jerking off an invisible sat saban.
Speaker 6: I mean, clearly Trump.
Speaker 4: Isn't making any effort to get Latino voters or making their priority. But the thing that hurts me the most is that his lazy ass strategy is actually working.
Speaker 10: A recent New York Times seeing a college bull shows former President Trump gaining grounds among Latino voters.
Speaker 9: The preference among Latino voters, I think it's at forty six percent Donald Trump, forty percent Joe Biden.
Speaker 6: Excuse me for a second, please.
Speaker 7: Please play web make.
Speaker 1: Fudy my baddy though, I'm sorry, where was I?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, right.
Speaker 4: It looks like the Democrats are in trouble, and you might be thinking, how is this possible?
Speaker 6: Donald Trump is winning Latinos.
Speaker 4: Build the Wall, Donald Trump, mass deportations, Donald Trump. Guy who thinks Daddy Yankee is a baseball player, Donald Trump. The truth is in twenty twenty four, Latino voters have something else on their minds.
Speaker 9: The number one issue for Latino voters is inflation and the economy.
Speaker 2: Like it is for so many voters.
Speaker 5: Fifty four percent of Latinos ranked inflation and the rising cost of living as one of their top three issues, and that it ranks even healthcare, crime, immigration.
Speaker 6: That's right for Latinos. This election is all about inflation, and that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Inflation is bad right now, They're going to have to change the name of the game show to the Price is What Now? And if your top concern is high prices, I get why you might lean Trump people associated with lower prices, even though he sells four hundred dollars sneakers that look like my cousin Papo's teeth. The problem is when it comes to fixing inflation, this Cucci frito looking mother ain't got shit.
Speaker 16: If elected president again, what is the first thing you would do to help bring down the cost to make things more affordable.
Speaker 17: Drill, baby, drill is your answer to getting inflation down.
Speaker 6: Drill drill, drill independent oil. Well, among other things, it's drill, drill, drill. Yeah, it's drill, drill, drill.
Speaker 7: What's your answer? There is no jo?
Speaker 6: Well, so you have to get the oil. Well, you heard it here first, me brothers.
Speaker 4: Trump's one and only plan to fix inflation is to drill for oil. But guess what, President Biden's already drilling more oil than anyone in history, more than Trump ever did when he was president. Now you know, maybe Trump has discovered some new special drilling technique that no one else knows about. Maybe he drills the oil really hard for thirty seconds.
Speaker 6: And then makes it sign an NDA just then. But otherwise, drilling foil clearly ain't the answer.
Speaker 4: Okay, except Trump told us himself he doesn't have any other answers. In fact, Trump's plan to slap extreme tariffs on China will make inflation much much worse. Yeah, Trump wants to pick another fight with China, probably just jealous because they actually built their wall. So you really believe Trump can fix inflation? Look, I'm here to tell you hell madre. Nah, Well, here's what you can count on, though. No matter what Trump says about inflation, he doesn't like us and he doesn't want us here. And you know how I know because he stopped deep throating burgers long enough to admit it out loud.
Speaker 17: The New York Times reports that he made some comments about immigration. He said, quote, why can't we allow people to come in from nice countries, you know, like Denmark and Switzerland?
Speaker 6: Donald, stop beating around the bush.
Speaker 4: We want nice people, Swiss people, Ski instructors, Wes Anderson.
Speaker 6: Fans just say white people.
Speaker 4: And yeah, of course Trump likes countries where everyone looks like Ivanka.
Speaker 6: But I've got bad news for you, Donald. They don't want to put you either.
Speaker 4: So to my fellow latinas e Latinos, I know you think Trump is your guy on inflation, but let's be smart about it, okay, because if Joe Biden wants to win, he really does need us badly. But when you consider the alternative, we may need him too, because if Trump wins, the only happy life Latinos.
Speaker 6: Will be the salsa band who's jerking off.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to the Daily Show, Hi, guest tonight is the prop writer, writer, and star of the NBC sitcom.
Speaker 2: Lopez Breaths Lopez. Please welcome, my.
Speaker 3: Love, Harol Han, hey baby, Hello.
Speaker 2: Now just to start because this did recently air. Yes, now for you those of you who don't know not to we've both been guest judges on Route Pas.
Speaker 3: John Brandy.
Speaker 2: And I did have to bring this up because I am a daughter of the House of Kolby. Thank you very much much. Yes, but what was the experience, like how is mother.
Speaker 8: Not?
Speaker 2: There was everything you want her to be and more.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 16: I always joke that now I'm working with my father so that I could work with mother, Like no, no, it was really the one of the best days of my life. I joke that only the birth of my first child is going to beat that day for me, because that show has just meant so much to me in the strength of drag queens and to be a part of that community and to support them like they've always supported me and the platform that they need right now in that community.
Speaker 6: So why.
Speaker 5: And it's kind of the same thing for me because people ask me, like, you know, with everything you have going on, like what's the thing that kind of pushes you and RuPaul at the end of every episode says if you can't love yourself, the hell you're gonna live somebody else.
Speaker 2: Yes, And there are moments from just like do I love me?
Speaker 13: Do I love me?
Speaker 2: Because I definitely loved this man, but do.
Speaker 3: I love me?
Speaker 2: And I was like, I think I can love him and me? Or is that gaslating myself? Don't worry, he will gaslight for you. Sis, do not worry because if men do anything, they lie.
Speaker 16: So yes, yes, So I have had made my dad liked me part of my career.
Speaker 2: So there we get So.
Speaker 3: So it's a joke.
Speaker 2: She had a whole TV show about her daddy.
Speaker 5: Y'all need to relax, hey, because I don't know a lot of people. A lot of people do not know this because not only do you star in Lopez Versus Lopez, you are the co creator, writer, and executive producer. What's it like establishing your own voice and comedy with the hit network sitcom.
Speaker 16: It's incredibly special to me, I think, you know, even having John just right here, being a Latina on a network television show, and to be able to represent telling stories that are personal to me but also personal to my community, and to be able to have fun and really do what I've always wanted to do. I've studied at Second City, doing improv and sketch and to find my own voice and also do it with my dad, who I've always looked up to, and were able to work together in this way and to make people laugh and see themselves through our relationship and to help heal people is all I wanted to do. It's always wanted to make my pain, put it into art and make people view that way amazing.
Speaker 2: So Lopez Versus Lopez is the only only, yeah Latino centered sitcom on TV right now?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 2: Does that feel like a lot of pressure to have to represent the community?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 17: And no.
Speaker 16: I feel like I am so proud that our show has been being a success, but also at the same time, it's sad that we're the only one. But I hope that us being able to keep pushing and having the fans that we do push other shows to come before us. There are great and wonderful shows that have been canceled like Goordi to Chronicles and other shows that one day at a time, One day at a time absolutely with love on Amazon, like there's so many in Primo and there's so many more and we are so much of the population, and as John was saying, and we should be able to push and be able to tell our stories.
Speaker 7: That's absolutely hopefully.
Speaker 6: And also I'll t I like to think that our show is for everyone.
Speaker 16: Where does that family that happens to be Latino? As you know, we try to put the fun in dysfunctions.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean that's amazing because there is one episode now, not to be controversial, yes, but you know, language is a huge part of any culture's identity, and there is an episode where you reveal to everyone that you don't speak Spanish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how was that received by the community and people? Because I know that was probably like a huge, huge problem.
Speaker 16: It was because it's that that's an example of how I've taken something that I've experienced in my life and put it into the show. Because really, if you don't speak Spanish within the community, it takes you you're not Latina enough, or you know, I've gotten that you don't represent us and language is only a part of it.
Speaker 6: Yes, is it?
Speaker 16: I have dual lingo premium in my trying.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it.
Speaker 16: Doesn't take away from my identity of being a proud Latin, and so to be able to have that episode out there and saying those things, I've gotten people saying thank you because I've been able to point to the screen and show my family this is what I'm feeling. And that episode in particular is something that's very specific within the community, and I'm very glad that we were able to do that.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited. Yeah, I can tell you.
Speaker 5: As someone who's not a Latino, but I do speak Spanish. Oh, doing le's trash, girl, do leingus trash. Gosh, you just got to go to our like outside, literally, go to Akana Setia.
Speaker 2: I met a nice man.
Speaker 5: Buy some meat. You'll learn all the Spanish. He will propose to you, but you will get some free meat.
Speaker 2: So that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 16: See, I think I've gotten proposals, but I just don't.
Speaker 2: Know what they're saying. So they always got a girlfriend and a wife somewhere.
Speaker 5: So don't say yes until he starts giving you like meat that's like fifteen dollars a pound.
Speaker 2: Then you never really go like, you know what, he is a nice man. H You're right, You're right now.
Speaker 5: Your father gives you the space to create and make the show on your own right. But you know you've been open about the pressure that comes with being a number two.
Speaker 2: How do you manage the pressure on being like a personal level and then playing a version of yourself on TV?
Speaker 16: Well, I call my character Schmayan. I call her sitcom Mayan, because if not, it just gets really confusing. Because there been sometimes when we're filming and they're like, Mayan, you read that line very angry, and I'm like, oh, that was me saying get it, and not the character, but playing someone that is a version of myself. It's hard to not personalize or bring it into work. I have to protect myself. But I think having to do that is also something that's so beautiful about what we do on the show is because it's authentic and it's personal. Like sometimes there are real conversations that my dad and I are having and that we've never had in real life, but yet we're having it in a live studio audience and so really, you know, it's like art imitates life, but also life like also inspires like.
Speaker 2: The art of everything. I mean that makes sense that.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it can get really confusing and the lines can get cross, but through now that we're in our second season, we're able to have more fun. But I was definitely growing and learning through myself and it was also very therapeutic and also being able to put your r out there at the same time.
Speaker 7: So it was.
Speaker 2: Therapeutic to be able to have conversations that you couldn't have in real life.
Speaker 6: M hm, to have on the show.
Speaker 2: Yes, how do you keep that divided?
Speaker 16: I have my therapist and my favorites on my phone. No, I think there's a lot of acceptance that has had to go through. We've my dad and I our relationship has grown a lot. But you know, a sitcom doesn't solve everything, and we're able to just continue to go forward. You know, it's like we bicker, you know, where it's like a fall and a daughter, Like how would you be doing a sitcom with your parent? You know, it's like always yeah, exactly right. No, But we have like we have such an incredible cast and I feel like we're also making up for lost time. It's really wonderful and to be able to tell the stories that we're able to tell and we're just having fun. Like this season, the episodes that are airing, we have ten incredible episodes. We just even having Cheech and Chong and to so to be able to have these Latino like legends onto the show also is amplifying the platform and being able to do what we do and having just an incredible supportive cast.
Speaker 2: Well, that's amazing. You have one final question for you now, be honest. If you had your drugs mm hmm and you were able to recast your dady, who.
Speaker 7: Would it be?
Speaker 2: Is it like a job likemo Pedro Pasca? Would you if God forbid you are given the choice to recast that man, who would you pick? Oh, that is a good question.
Speaker 3: I got all thought in life or on TV.
Speaker 2: I was like micause there's both the same person, Like.
Speaker 16: Ah, gosh, you know I would have to say, you know why not like say I was thinking John actually actually like John Magasamo. But you know what, Pedro Pascal and I have the same birthday, so I'd be like, I know it is not like a great fun fact, thank you famous birthdays.
Speaker 7: But what's like but to be like supper.
Speaker 2: So you could have a poppy me birthday. Yes, that is amazing. Thank you so much for my day.
Speaker 5: New episodes of Pad Versus Pat Truth NBC and you can stream episodes.
Speaker 7: On We'll be right down afterday.
Speaker 13: I'm show house so.
Speaker 2: Here it is our moment of that.
Speaker 15: It's gotta be so boring, right, I mean, the president's got to sit there. He can't say a word, can't look at a phone. Right, you just got to sit there for hours, Eric, Eric, He's got to give me the silent treatment.
Speaker 7: That's what happens.
Speaker 6: That's er Okay, We'll just keep walking around.
Speaker 15: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 7: The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 14: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 7: This has been a Comedy Central podcast