Speaker 1: I Am all in you.
Speaker 2: I Am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Everybody Scott Patterson, I Am all In Podcast Pop Culture episode Season seven, Episode seven, French Twist. The Yale Daily News team has gathered to thank Rory for her time as editor in chief. Bill to Rory Roy, thank you very much. I didn't write a speech or anything, although I could recite, recite the Charge of the Light Brigade or the lyrics to Rebel Rebel. The Charge of the Light Brigade is an eighteen fifty four narrative poem by Alfred Lloyd Tennyson. Rebel Rebel is a song by the incomparable David Bowie from the album Diamond Dogs, which that is an album cover that disturbed me and my friends Beck in the day. Did you know? The song has been described as Bowie's farewell to the glam rock movement that he helped initiate, and what a song it is. We'll get right back to pop culture. After these messages.
Speaker 3: Lane is freaking out about telling her mother she's pregnant, and Zach distracts her with a photo and Zack says, WHOA, you know what? This picture is our first album cover. It was the ultrasound picture and Lisa's Zack, and Zack says, yeah, it's like a prenatal never Mind. Never Mind is the second studio album created by the rock band Nirvana. It was their first release on a major label and the first to feature the drummer Dave Grohl, who is now the lead singer of Foo Fighters. The album cover shows a naked baby boy swimming underwater with a dollar bill on a fish hook just out of his reach.
Speaker 4: Did you want to bring this up? But is this the picture that this kid keeps suing them?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Hopefully Lane's kids won't sue her. But did you know Kurt Cobaine conceived the idea no pun intended while watching a television program on water birds.
Speaker 4: I believe it, and they should have used a kid they knew, always a better way to go.
Speaker 2: Laura Li and Christopher arrived in Paris and just dropped off Gigi with Sherry. Laura I says, yeah, she seems grounded and sincere I couldn't believe how prepared for Gigi she was. Christopher says she was. She had her favorite Madeline book, she knew where the nearest park was, and did you see she already had a booster seat? Madeline is a nineteen thirty nine book written and illustrated by Ludwig Bemelmans. The book is known for its rhyme scheme and colorful images of Paris. There are a total of six books, which have also been adapted into a television series and film. And did you know that each of the Madeline books? And with the line that's all there is, there isn't anymore, which comes from Ethel Barrymore Drew Barrymore's great aunt when she used to rebuff Kurt calls on Broadway.
Speaker 5: Parris believes that since Rory is no longer editor of the paper, she is going to struggle with so much free time like she did. Paris says, you know, you really shouldn't be alone at a time like this. Why don't you call your Girls Gone Wild friends? They seemed delightful in a get crazy, drunken cancun and flash your breast kind of way. Girls Gone Wild was an adult entertainment franchise created by Joe Francis in nineteen ninety seven. The videos typically involved camera crews at party locations engaging young college aged women who exposed their bodies or act quote unquote wild. Did you know the company that owns Girls Gone Wild and all its related brands went bankrupt. Joe Francis to creator fled to Mexico nearly a decade ago. Amidst all of this, there was some kind of drama. There's a lot of drama. I mean, and we said college aged women, but a lot of the drama was that they weren't even of age. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So there was a lot of stickiness.
Speaker 4: Stepher and Laura Li fell asleep. I missed third dinner subject, so now they are trying to go back to bed to wake up fresh in the morning. So wide awake, I could watch the Ken Burns documentary of SOD and not drift off. There are one hundred and four flirt Elys stenciled on the ceiling. That's how wide awake I am. I tried humming Brahm's Lullaby in my head, but it kept morphing into purple rain. And purple rain made me think of grapes, which made me think of grape jam, which made me think of English muffins slathered in great grape jam. This was a particular line I hated because I thought, that's the witty banter that just wasn't working. But anyway. Ken Burns is a historian known for his documentary film.
Speaker 1: Shot I'm sorry, but a great looking shot overhead?
Speaker 2: Yes it was.
Speaker 4: That was great, Yes it was. Many of which Ken's Burns documentaries discuss American history and culture. Brahm's Lullaby was written by Johannes Brahms, a German composer and pianist of the Romantic period. Purple Rain, Come On, Who Doesn't Know? It's a nineteen eighty four song album and musical drama film by Prince Did you Know? Purple Rain was originally written as a country song and intended to be a collaboration with Stevie Nicks, who was also eleven minutes long, which frightened Stevie. Did you also know? Nothing Compares to You? Sinead O'Connor's big hit was written by Prince.
Speaker 1: Think, Yes, that's true.
Speaker 2: Good song.
Speaker 4: Rory is alone in her apartment and calls Olivia, what's Lucy doing watching Real World?
Speaker 3: Denver?
Speaker 4: Lucy's eating it up with a fork and spoon because boyfriend's working and you know how much he hates reality TV. First of all, the fact that they call him boyfriend is so annoying. Does he Oh, I keep forgetting you still haven't Matt boyfriend? Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if he really exists or if he's just Lucy's snuffle up against. This banter is awful. The Real World Denver was the eighteen season of MTV's reality show, which aired from November two thousand and six to May two thousand and seven. Mister stuffal Upagus, I've never heard him called mister, but I know snuffle up Agus is from Sesame Street. He's sort of like a mammoth mixed with a joke aunt eater. He is Big Bird's best friend, but is believed to be imaginary, as Big Bird was the only one to ever see him. Did you know that? In the early eighties, producers of Sesame Street feared that if they represented adults not believing what kids said, they might not be motivated to tell the truth. This led them to changing the storyline of the show, which I always heard was at the time, you know, they really wanted kids to come forward if they were being abused or mistreated, and so they changed it so that kids would know if you tell an adult something's happening to you, they will believe you. Which yeay, Sesame Street gotta love it, Danielle.
Speaker 2: Do you remember in the last season of Real House Sives of Orange County when someone called someone else a snuffle up agains.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this reminded me of that.
Speaker 1: All right, Christopher and Laurela. I find someone with bread. They attempt to converse with him. Bread guy, funkins.
Speaker 4: Laura.
Speaker 1: I yeah, funny hungry American. Huh, bread Guy.
Speaker 2: Everybody Loves Raymond.
Speaker 1: Everybody Loves Raymond was a sitcom created by Phil Rosenthal, starring Ray Romano, Patricia heat and Brad Garrett Dorris Roberts. Did you know Brad Garrett made the headlines in two thousand and three for staging a walkout on set over the disparity of pay between cast members. I love that thanks to his actions, he got a raise from the network and the entire cast got a piece of the syndication money.
Speaker 4: Oh funny twist. In a funny twist, Phil Rosenthal, It's funny that they mentioned Everybody Loves Raymond with the bread Guy because Phil Rosenthal is now more famous than ever for Everybody Feed Phil. He goes around. He's got like books about food, children's books about food, a TV show about food. So I wonder if Filmore Girls was a bit fortuitous.
Speaker 1: With Susan franch.
Speaker 2: All right, we.
Speaker 4: Didn't even talk about that. Your last name's French.
Speaker 3: But it's English. It's English. Friend anyway, Sure, okay, Rory, Lucy, and Olivia are sitting on loralized porchs with vinegar and tinfoil in their hair. Lucy says, boyfriend's got great hair. Olivia says, oh, the best. It's like beyond human. Rory says, like Conan O'Brien's. Lucy says, no, it's just like really full. It's more like a cartoon character. Yeah, it's like Snap's hair from Snap, Crackle and Pop. Wait am I thinking of Crackle.
Speaker 4: In this scene? I'm so sorry I interrupted.
Speaker 3: That whole section went on way too long.
Speaker 4: Yeah, trying too hard to have witty banter that isn't witty. Yeah anyway.
Speaker 3: Conan O'Brien is a comedian and television host for late night talk shows. With a great head of hair, Snap, Crackle, and Pop are three gnome like elves that are cartoon mascots of rice crispies. Did you know that In the early nineteen fifties there was a fourth elf named Paw, but he was later dropped.
Speaker 2: Wait why showed.
Speaker 4: PHOTOO cracked more money?
Speaker 1: H Yeah, he was Brad Garrett's inspiration.
Speaker 5: Lorelai is reflecting on how happy and grateful she gets to be in Paris with Christopher. Christopher says, we can sleep all day and wander the town in the night. And that stuff we did back in the hotel room, we can definitely do that back in stars Hollow. Lorelai says, are you saying We'll always have Paris? We'll always have Paris? Is a famous line in the nineteen forty two drama Casablanca. The line refers to the romance Lisa and Rick shared while they were in Paris and did you know The line has also been used in countless films, books, and TV shows, including Star Trek, The Next Generation.
Speaker 2: Lucy and Olivia show Rory They're forbidden Fjords dresses, Olivia says, two halloweens ago, Lucy and I went to a party and Don without Tony Orlando. Tony Orlando and Don is a pop music group from the nineteen seventies and did you know Tony Orlando had several songs co authored by Carol King, including Halfway to Paradise and I Can't Stop Talking About You.
Speaker 4: Lucy and Olivia are telling Marty about visiting Stars Hollow, you expect Professor Harold Hill to move there and sucker everyone into buying band instruments. Harold Hill is the main character in the musical The Music Man. The role was originated by Robert Preston, but many more Hollywood actors have played the character, from Dick Van Dyke, Matthew Broderick, Jeff Goldwim, Eric McCormick, and Hugh Jackman. The nineteen sixty two movie starred Robert Preston, was filmed on the Warner Brothers lot in the same area of our own Stars follow.
Speaker 1: Dunna Day and that brings us to the end of this pop culture episode. We'll see you next time. Thank you ladies, Susan Sara, Danielle Amy. We will see it next time. I'm all the best, everybody, Stay safety, everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.