Speaker 1: Hey guys, time for the Sunday sampler. Coming up on four Things with Amy Brown. Amy talked with Ashley Waller, who is actually a good friend.
Speaker 2: Of Kaitlyn and mine.
Speaker 1: With Kaitlin and I, however, you say that she's a celebrity hairstylist, she's a TV personality. She's the wife to Jason Waller, who it's Jason from Laguna Beach in the Hills, and so they talk about reality TV. They talk about Jason and his experience with addiction. That's how Jason and I know each other, and then learning how to be a partner with someone in recovery.
Speaker 2: So hang out for that.
Speaker 1: On the Bobby Cast, I sat down with one of my favorite new artists, Lauren Watkins. She grew up in Nashville, but she did not grow up in music in Nashville.
Speaker 2: So it's the double because it's rare for an artist to grow up here.
Speaker 1: But if they do, it's like Mitchell Tinpenny who kind of grew up in the industry, but she didn't do that. She's opening for Morgan Wallen on a stadium tour. We talk about that also why it's hard to play in Nashville, and they say she has barstool charm, which is interesting. So we have a lot of stuff to get to. Let's start with that. Here is Lauren Watkins on this week's Bobby Cast. I was reading an article about you and they have said something about you.
Speaker 2: It was a weird term. It was called like barstool chic.
Speaker 3: I know what you're thinking of, and I think of it.
Speaker 2: It was the barstool charm. That's what it was. You had a barstool charm, and I didn't know whether.
Speaker 4: I don't know what that means. If you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Ask, I don't know what it means either, And I could look at it and both ways. I think barstool charm barstoo would mean one of us normal, Yeah, cool, but it also yes, it also means that what did you did you read that? Have you seen people call you that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I've seen it.
Speaker 1: So what did you take that as? I wouldn't have said barbol charm, but I didn't know you. I still wouldn't say barstool.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of my songs are set in a bar, and maybe I'm able to make.
Speaker 4: It seem more charming and it really is.
Speaker 2: That's how I took it good for you.
Speaker 1: I kind of I romanticized that I would have found that super negative anything about me I turned super negative good for you.
Speaker 4: For me, I was like, how can this be a good thing?
Speaker 1: But you're like the heartbreak for example, that is not a positive thing. And that's the whole the name of the whole product project there that you got to be pretty vulnerable to even talk about heartbreak and did a second ago? How hard? How easy was that? And then especially if people know you're singing about.
Speaker 3: Them, like, how wait say that again?
Speaker 2: It's multi layered.
Speaker 1: Hold on, if you're writing a song about having heartbreak in general, or you have you have a project, it's called heartbreak. That heartbreak had to come from root. Yes, so first of all you have to talk about it, and that that is like here, I'm gonna open my ribs up vulnerable. Yeah, But then it's the person that maybe broke your heart also getting to do a victory lap because I get to hear you singing about it like that.
Speaker 2: To me, my ego wouldn't allow that.
Speaker 4: No, I get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And honestly, those are all thoughts that crossed my mind at some point, but just kind of went in one of hear out the other because I was just like, whatever, these are things I got to get off my chest.
Speaker 4: And yeah, but I also.
Speaker 3: The songs are probably about lots of different people, not just one.
Speaker 2: Oh, I completely agree with there's a lot of different people.
Speaker 1: Then, who's like she wrote lots of people doing or they're wrong and they think it's about it's not and they're telling them.
Speaker 3: I kind of like that though, because it's sort of like, I don't know, it's kind of funny if they think it's about them and it's really not.
Speaker 1: See, I would be why do you think that's about you? That's why I wouldn't be good. There's a lot of reason I wouldn't be good a songwriting. But that's the part where I would really struggle, was like to give somebody else like a little bit of shine where they were No.
Speaker 3: I totally get that, And you know, I guess what I'll say to that is my songs are for They're more for the people that I'm singing too rather than people i'm singing about. So those people can think whatever they think, but I just try not to care about it.
Speaker 1: Have you written anything ever and then someone heard it and you guys weren't good and they heard it.
Speaker 2: They were like, you know what that spoke to me? And then you were good again.
Speaker 4: Oh like a guy.
Speaker 2: Sure it could be a free It could even be a friend. Okay, like some dude.
Speaker 4: I've definitely burned bridge.
Speaker 3: Yes, if there was a bridge left, it was burned with the songs.
Speaker 1: But you didn't burn it so bad. It kind of rebuilt itself. No, yeah, good for you, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good for you.
Speaker 1: What's the most unexpected place that you've played, Like, difficult to play because you people weren't even really paying attention.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, that's happened so many times. You know, I'm gonna say something that could be controversial. Nashville is tough to play.
Speaker 2: Oh hey, I'm sure this is going to really be controversial. I'll get a lot of hits on that one.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, I know you can probably like I Understandahale sucks to play.
Speaker 2: It sucks, I'll see.
Speaker 1: I hate playing shows here, Yeah, because I'm going to say a bunch of mean stuff. So then it doesn't make you look as so I'll cover for you. But then you follow me. I hate playing shows and that I love the people that live in Nashville are that come to my shows. I hate plaann shows in Nashville because there are two things that happen. One there's this like, all right, impressing me expectation because I don't perform at all. I'm on the road all the time if I'm doing stand up, and so if I'm finally doing a show here, it's people that just like see pictures on it and they're like, Okay, well let's see how good you really are.
Speaker 2: That vibe exists. First of all, there are peers.
Speaker 1: That finally want to come out and go like, all right, well let's see what you got that competitive yes, and then you want to hear something back from it, and then it starts to be unhealthy. And then it's also like ten hour meet and greets with everybody who you know and that live here that want to come and see. So Nashville is the worst place to I love Nashville and the people, but for the industry, it's hard because it's not just going to do a show for people that want to be entertained. It's also going to do a show for people that want you to prove your worth of craft and worth yeah, and that to me is why it's hard for me here.
Speaker 4: You said it best.
Speaker 3: I mean, I literally that's everything I'm thinking you just said, and it's it's a shame, like it hurts me as a native because I mean when I was growing up, like I said, I had no like foot in the industry.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that even existed.
Speaker 3: So when I was going to concerts, I was in the front row screaming my head off, not caring about who was there or whatever. I just wanted to be there. And yeah, it's tough now it does feel like everything you just said, it's a lot of people just try to be too cool.
Speaker 4: And the thing is.
Speaker 3: That people this is funny, like the people who matter, and by matter, I just mean like like kind of the big shots in the industry, like people who are really like I don't know, the people that you want to impress, they're not really trying to be too cool. They're just they're doing their job, like like there to cheer you on.
Speaker 2: But it's the people that are like insecure.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I'm insecure, and I say that from an insecure place. I'm not insecure in that way, but I'm in too. It's definitely a place of if somebody else roots for you, or somebody else says why you're really good, that must mean to them that they're not. I struggle with the same thing in different ways. Oh, same, So there are probably peers of yours or any artist. It's at a show and it's a little bit jealous, but can't be healthy about it.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 3: It's hard, And I also think people like even as simple as yelling out during the show, yelling and screaming, cheering, people don't want to do it.
Speaker 4: They're scared.
Speaker 3: People are looking at them. Who's in the room, Who's going to see me look stupid? Yeah, and I a lot of my songwriter friends and I love to protest against that. And we'll go to our friends shows in town and just be the biggest fans, because.
Speaker 4: That's what you want.
Speaker 3: I mean, you work so hard, you're on the road and and and you then you get so excited to come home and play a show for your your people.
Speaker 4: And then it's like that and it's sort.
Speaker 5: Of sad, kind good.
Speaker 1: Cast up little food for yourself life, ain't Oh it's pretty bad.
Speaker 6: It's pretty beautiful that for a little more.
Speaker 2: Said, he can cut your kick in It with Full Thing with Amy Brown.
Speaker 7: Hey, it's Amy Brown from Four Things with Amy Brown. And here's what we talked about this week on my podcast. What encouragement do you have for people that, whatever the situation is, they're sort of living life like I'm just waiting for the next show to drop, like everything's great right now. And I mean, I think that they're going to be sober this time or they're not going to relapse, but like they can't get over waiting for the next show to drop.
Speaker 8: I think the biggest thing is it is absolutely impossi to struggle alone, Like you have got to find a support group or at least a person that you can speak in confidence to about what's going on. I think it's really important to vocalize and seek that professional help because being in that isolation alone and constantly thinking that things are going to change without having some sort of not necessarily outside opinion, but I just feel like it's a really, really, really lonely place to be when you are in the depths of somebody struggling with addiction.
Speaker 9: And I think as soon as you can.
Speaker 8: Tell somebody because your secrets make you so sick, and they can really hurt your life?
Speaker 9: Did you have to do some sort of an intervention? Oh yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 7: And what did that process collect for you? Because I know for everybody it's a little bit different. But if anybody's new to it, like you said, you'd never dealt with addiction before, and so because he had been there before, maybe he worked in that space, maybe he sort of knew who to call. But I can imagine if someone's never been through it all, it's whatever. It's like, wait, who do I even ask about where to start and how to start or do this whole intervention thing, because you just see it on TV. You see like, oh do I call everybody and we gather together in the living room. But it's it's case by case on how it needs.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think everybody's situation is different. For us, it was like the moment when the vulnerability is there and the person is at their low. So a lot of times, like there'll be these really big waves through addiction when people are struggling and it's at that moment where they hit that low where they're very vulnerable and they're.
Speaker 9: Like, I don't want to do this anymore.
Speaker 8: You know, that's the moment that's the moment that you're like, we got to get everybody together, we got to send them off and get them to go, and that's just it's a non negotiable and they just they go. So for instance, when we had the interventional my husband to send him to treatment, it was his parents. I contacted his parents immediately because they love him, they had been through this with him for so many years and understood kind of what he was going through. I don't even think they at the time really knew exactly who to call.
Speaker 9: But my husband did have a.
Speaker 8: Sponsor from previously being sober, and we had a lot of friends in the recovery industry because my husband had clearly worked in the recovery industry, and so we called his old sponsor and so he helped a lot facilitate everything.
Speaker 9: What did the forgiveness process look like for you? Therapy was really important.
Speaker 8: My husband and I went to a couple therapy for literally every single week for a whole year.
Speaker 9: We also did individual therapy along.
Speaker 8: With our meeting, so like aa alan on Family Recovery Foundation. But it was a really long process because there was so much mistrust that had happened during that time and a lot of resentment and it took me a lot of tools and actions. I think once there was more time of him being sober, it really helped just realize that things were changing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 8: The act was really big for me because the words really didn't matter at this point, and that's what made it really challenging. So once I saw that time was passing and the actions of his I would say emotional maturity was changing, that's when I was like, Okay, this is helping me so much. Just have forgiveness and just I think any sort of therapy is so beneficial in life no matter.
Speaker 9: What, because it helps so much.
Speaker 8: But couple's therapy together too was really important for us and it helped us a lot.
Speaker 7: Do you feel like there were days that you definitely just did not want to be there or you were on like shut down and it gives like, well, this is like a huge waste of time and then how would you pull yourself out of that?
Speaker 8: It's so interesting because I feel like I never ever, even through all of this and everything that we had ever been through, like the divorce word never hit my mind ever, Like I just was like, it's just a non negotiable, like we're not getting divorced ever in our whole entire lives, Like you're going to just get better, Like we're just going to figure out ways to get you better, and then we're going to be together forever. Because I strongly believed so much that this man that I fell in love with was still there underneath all of this destruction and turmoil. So I don't know if I ever wasn't willing. I think at times I was more shut off because I was just exhausted. Then necessarily like I just was unhopeful because I think the hope was always there. I never really gave up on him and my hope for him, which is good. I mean a lot of people, I think in times they just they get to the point where like the hope just gets lost and then they just have no that's it for them. But luckily I still always had that, which is I think what helped a lot with our relationship and what helps today, you know, is we always we want to be together forever. We want to be the best version of ourselves for each other. So that's why we work so hard at taking care of ourselves.
Speaker 9: I love that.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you for sharing some of that because I know that it's sometimes really difficult to even revisit. But I guess since you've made it part of your story, part of your mission, part of your what does this make possible? Then it feels good to talk about it because it's giving purpose to what you went through.
Speaker 10: Let's do it live.
Speaker 2: We are the two so loser.
Speaker 6: What up, everybody? I am lunchbox. I know the most about sports, so I'll give you the sports facts, my sports opinions because I'm pretty much a sports genius.
Speaker 2: What up, y'all?
Speaker 10: At his scison, I'm from the North. I'm in Alpha Male. I live on the West side of Nashville with Baser, my wife. We do have a white picket fence at the apartment complex. Soon I'm gonna have two point five kids and yes, sadly, I will die of a heart attack when I'm seventy two years old.
Speaker 2: Here's a clip from the last podcast.
Speaker 10: If you're in Nashville, since it's not legal here, I think you can get in trouble at the airport. Whereas Vegas, if you get caught with gummies, they just throw them away. Case in point, got my bachelor party had gummies. They grabbed him out put them in the receptacle.
Speaker 6: At your bachelor party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were there. Don't remember that?
Speaker 10: The one dude, he was random. I invited him at a party one time and he came camp. His name slips my mind. It was three years ago, it feels like a lot longer than that. The dude that just like would go to bed at night and slept for twelve hours.
Speaker 6: Oh, is that the one that you shared a hotel room with. No, he actually might stay, so you're telling me the one that actually stayed at MGM Grand while you stayed at New York, New York or wherever the hell you stayed.
Speaker 10: He was kind of I stayed at Paris. He was kind of Jonathan's friend. But he was awesome. Just on the way out, didn't disguise the gummies. They pulled him right out, threw them away. But you don't get in trouble.
Speaker 6: That's the difference between Oh, yeah, you guys, I was tsa pre check. You guys weren't. Sorry. I didn't see that altercation as my bat.
Speaker 10: He didn't really explain it to us well either. He just came over. He was so hung over and goes, yeah, all those gummies I bought one hundred dollars worth of theirs threw them away and we said, no emotion.
Speaker 2: I'm too hungover.
Speaker 6: We get it, totally understand. But let me tell you, right, a lot like this is the best Friday, the last Friday.
Speaker 10: I mean, we're ending the podcast.
Speaker 6: No, I am so excited for Sunday because it's Selection Sunday. But here's only one problem. Things have changed in the landscape of college basketball where I don't have hope for a national championship. I don't have hope for a Kansas raising the national championship banner. So going into the tournament, I'm a little sad.
Speaker 10: What are you from Arkansas?
Speaker 6: No, I just said Kansas. I said Kansas.
Speaker 10: Right, they have reason to be sad, don't I don't even think they're going to get into American the American Tournament.
Speaker 6: No, No, I understand Kansas is going to be in the tournament.
Speaker 10: But I have no like, did you guys make it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: We made the tournament, no problem. The Valls make it. Vallves are going to be maybe a number one seed Vandy. Vandy fire their coach, so they didn't make it. Stack Stack is out. Yeah, and he had a hell of a press conference, man, and Justin saw him.
Speaker 10: Where did you see him in person? We went to the game three years ago.
Speaker 6: I saw him. I was eating at Chopped, which is like a salad place. I don't know, Well, why don't you just chop.
Speaker 10: Me a salad? What a restaurant. It's just like a little it's like a Chipotle, but for salads. Were there any dudes in there? There was actually three dudes working there. They all loved me.
Speaker 6: So I'm sitting out on the patio and I'm eating my Chopped salad.
Speaker 10: I would have drove by and saw you. Dud on a veered off the road and.
Speaker 6: I was eating I think it was a Fiesta salad, so it had like avocado.
Speaker 10: Some put some meat in there.
Speaker 6: Oh, Sara, we don't have any meat grilled corner. It's not a vegetarian place. It's called a salad. Have you ever had a salad?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Okay, they have chicken and shrimp and they have all sorts of stuff you can put in a salad.
Speaker 10: By Buddy Danny in Miami eats salads on South Beach.
Speaker 6: Nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 10: No, it's just not manly.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 10: You're in Port Missile country. If you ain't sucking off a hot dog on a Friday, man, what are you doing?
Speaker 6: But this wasn't a Friday, it was a Wednesday.
Speaker 10: If you ain't at that beach, you wear that.
Speaker 6: So I'm sitting on the patio and I and you can see through the windows down the sidewalk. Bathroom, No, bathroom is not seat through it right.
Speaker 10: I could see into the women's restroom.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 6: And I see this really tall human walking and it's Jerry Stackhouse.
Speaker 10: Stack, and he could stack your ass up. Back in the day, man Detroit, And that's when that city had no violence.
Speaker 6: I was probably peak violence. And I was like, man, I gotta go say what up? And he's walking down the sidewalk, Garry, I start jumping up. My wife, where are you going? I was like, stack, stock house Stack And this is probably a month ago, and he just he's b lines.
Speaker 10: It knew he was getting fired.
Speaker 6: Does not say a word, Stack stacking up. Go through the restaurant, out the front door, stack Stack.
Speaker 10: Nobody's ever called him that before.
Speaker 6: Jerry and he goes around the corner and his big old truck is parked along the curb. He jumps right in, closes the door.
Speaker 10: Did you go up to the vehicle. No, no, I'm not that crazy. But it's all funny until they jump at their car.
Speaker 6: It was they getting their car. It's like, okay, too far. I don't want to be like seemed like a crazy person. And it took him about two seconds to start that truck and he was out. I mean, that was my one interaction with Jerry Stackhouse when he was the coach of Vanderbilt basketball.
Speaker 10: Athletes in town that we've seen him in their truck. Jerry Stackhouse, Taylor Lawan, Taylor Wan only two.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 10: Thought that'd be a better And that was he had a truck.
Speaker 6: Now he was in an suv and he was being driven. He had a driver. It was Walgreens. He's getting icy hot and an ankle bandage. I told you his ankle was bad. I told you guys, Hey, we got another Julio. It's gonna be here a year, Calvin, he'll be here for more than two a year. He sounded like a four year deal.
Speaker 10: Hey, guys in a gambling away, Julio.
Speaker 6: Welcome the Titans up, Baby tighten up. Welcome to Nashville, Baby.
Speaker 2: Cavery. She's a queen and talking so she's getting really not afraid, so.
Speaker 3: Just let it flow.
Speaker 2: No one can do we can. He's sound like Caroline.
Speaker 11: Hey, y'all, it's Caroline Hobby from Get Real with Caroline Hobby.
Speaker 9: And here is a clip from this week's episode.
Speaker 11: Are you someone know when you start something and you give your heart, you finish it?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Like you don't just like be like, oh.
Speaker 11: Crap, like no, this is a lot no yeah, reverse reverse, yeah, like no forward.
Speaker 9: For once a minute a minute?
Speaker 12: And I just great, what a team player you are to Ian is lucky to have you.
Speaker 9: I mean that is you are a force of nature. Caroline, thank you.
Speaker 12: Like I said, going a little crazy.
Speaker 9: So let's talk about when y'all fell in love. Good stuff.
Speaker 11: So all of a sudden you're like, oh, Ian Mussig, I know him. I got him his first gig. And Travis Drat and his family are like, you need to meet this guy. You're like, know him, and now you see him, you realize he's got this image, he's got this deep connection to Wyoming. You see the branding. It's all like clear to you. But it's not necessarily the right time in country music for him to make his big splash because it was bro country, So what do you do? What do y'all do? And then where does the love happen?
Speaker 12: I mean with him on we did this thing called minute Mondays and he would film Ian can play pretty much every instrument, and we would film these minute Mondays with a guy named gray Wood, and he literally he would just do covers and would play like multiple instruments, but it would just be him or multiples of him, and we would post those every Monday, and we just started like to learning his his like Instagram.
Speaker 9: TikTok was not a thing because Instagram was going.
Speaker 12: Streaming was just like starting, So we were just trying to build it independently. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, everything was independent for a while, and you guys were content creators in the very beginning. Yeah, like the content before really content, Like I was keen. Yeah I think maybe vine was out or something, but died on the vine. Yeah yeah, like so yeah, we just went on trying to build his awareness and like getting people to notice him and then eventually, you know, his streaming numbers got big enough and uh Warner.
Speaker 12: And other labels started reaching out and said, you know, hey, who is this guy that's streaming just as well as.
Speaker 11: He so, what are good streaming numbers to make it? Labels turn their head like, what so streaming?
Speaker 9: For everyone listening?
Speaker 11: Streaming is like when you I'm sure a lot of people know this now, but it's like when you go and you just listen to Spotify or you go and you listen to iTunes or whatever it's online, and it's just like it counts. You get all these streams, Like every time you hear a song, you get another streams. So like when you get a ton of streams, people are like, who is this? Yeah, dude, for everyone knows streaming is. I just talked to them like they're a bunch of idiots. I know what streaming is. Okay, sorry about that.
Speaker 12: I'm trying to even think what it would have been in twenty seventeen, not what it is now. Now people are getting like billions. You know, it's crazy, but I mean I think.
Speaker 11: Labels you should not even want artists to stream, Like that's how crazy it was. It was so new that they're like, don't stream because that takes away from your album cells or whatever. So it's like it was it's been a new phenomenon that Ian probably was at the very beginning of.
Speaker 12: Yeah, he was, for sure, I would say maybe, you know, I know, independently we got our first few million streams, so in twenty seventeen it'd be pretty good. Yeah, yeah, you know, and that's with no like there. It's not like we were on any DSP like playlist Seed or anything.
Speaker 9: That's all organic.
Speaker 12: So that's the one thing about Ian is he's really everything has been grassroots, in organic.
Speaker 9: You know, No, you're good.
Speaker 12: Sorry, Yeah, And so we've just really been proud of that growth because you know, it's.
Speaker 9: That real thing.
Speaker 12: It's real, like they show up and buy tickets and they buy merch and they engage and it's not fake like it's real. So that's been very valuable to us.
Speaker 11: Okay, so you are putting stuff out, you're still dismanaging.
Speaker 9: No, like I want to kiss.
Speaker 12: Your face yet. No, I'm trying to think when were you Like, I gotta just like, yeah, on the end of twenty seventeen, so maybe like six seven months in. I think we were just around each other so much. I think we went we were in like California or something, and yeah, I don't know. It just kind of makes how happen. It's a cool manti.
Speaker 9: I feel like, no, I haven't been building up.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I feel like it was definitely slower up for Yeah, I didn't know each other. Yeah no, and that was the thing. We're just around each other all the time. But you know, at the same time, it felt like very like taboo. But it was kind of exciting. But it's like, nobody's gonna take us seriously if like one, I'm what probably I think I was like twenty four at the time. Who's gonna take me seriously? One as a manager? You know, this kid that has you know, nothing really behind him, let alone us.
Speaker 9: You know, oh, my manager is my girlfriend, you know. So yeah, we kept on the DL. Was that kind of find to be secret? Yeah?
Speaker 12: I feel like it was a little stressful because I literally didn't tell my friends.
Speaker 9: I didn't tell nobody. I told nobody.
Speaker 11: And I say, by the way, you and Lady Wilson BFF ORFF before she became Lady Wilson.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, okay, I can't wonder about that. That's so fun.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but we Yeah, we kept on the d L didn't my friends. I'm sure they could have assumed whatever, but you know, nobody really asked or said anything. So we just kept doing our thing, and then you know, one thing led to another and we got pregnant, and.
Speaker 11: Then you really can't keep it under a walk anymore. So we were like, so we're trying to get pregnant.
Speaker 9: No, no, Noka.
Speaker 11: Crawford's like, I'm ready. He's got two cool people here parents.
Speaker 12: He's like, I am ready to make my appearance, and there's nothing you can do about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we.
Speaker 12: Got pregnant, and yeah, I think Laney was the first person I called to tell her that I was pregnant.
Speaker 13: Hey, it's Mike d and this week our movie Mike's Moe Podcast, I went through Forbes' latest report on the top ten highest earning actors from the last year. I break down exactly how an actor makes money, whether it's a movie that goes into theaters or goes straight to streaming. So if you want to know more about the money side of movies, this is a great episode to check out. Here's just a little of me breaking down some of the highest earners in Hollywood. At number ten, with a gross income of twenty eight million dollars, taking home at the end of the day twenty four million dollars, it is Denzel Washington. Last year he put out the third installment of The Equalizer.
Speaker 9: Has been a pretty average.
Speaker 13: Film series overall, each one of those movies has crossed one hundred and ninety million dollar mark at the box office. And the real reason it has done that because of Denzel Washington. Without his name attached to that movie, nobody would really care about it. And in addition to that movie last year, why he continues to remain in the top ten is because of his catalog, all the royalties he is getting from all of his back years of work. That is really so important to an actor is that library of movies that you build. Really in anything, I will even say that in podcasting, it comes down to the amount of work you can do and just have like this fast portfolio of all these episodes, all these movies. That is really where you start to see money grow in entertainment.
Speaker 2: So it is really precious.
Speaker 13: That is also why you see a lot of fights over rights to things and rights to episodes, is because that is where the money will be there for you always. That is also why you see musicians selling their catalogs in order to have guaranteed money every year, because they can sell their catalog and know they're going to have that said amount of money for the rest of their life. And Denzel Washington has been doing it for over forty years now, he's sixty nine years old. He can really do any movie that he wants and it's probably gonna make a pretty good amount of money at the box office. I kind of wish you would go into a bit of a different direction and get back to those really big dramatic roles that he would do all the time, and the ones that he is known for. I think the last movie I really love from him was from twenty sixteen call Fences, which was an adaptation of a play, and I thought that really showed the true power of Denzel Washington, the reason everybody fell in love with him and the reason he is a movie star. I wish he would go back to doing movies like that. But at number ten is Denzel Washington at number nine with a gross income of forty five million dollars, and on the list listed at thirty eight million dollars is Ben Affleck. Again, this is only including his money that he has made with acting. Out of everybody on this list, this is the most surprising to me. I do not think he is worth thirty eight million dollars a year, especially when you look at the movies he did last year. The fifty one year old starred and directed Air, which is a great movie. I love this movie, but financially it didn't really cross a big threshold of making money at the box office, Like wasn't even supposed to come out in theaters, but Amazon decided to move forward and give it a theatric release and it ended up making ninety million dollars at the box office before just straight going over to Amazon Prime Video. But the other movie he put out, Hypnotic, was so bad and such a bomb, one of the worst bombs in.
Speaker 4: The last decade.
Speaker 13: That movie cost sixty five million dollars to make and only made sixteen point three at the box office, but I guess he still got paid. He am making no money on the back end of that movie. But he has been around for a long time enough to be in Duncan commercials and probably made a lot of money off of that, even though that amount is not included on this list at number nine as Ben Affleck, so there is a tie at number eight. Two people come in with forty one million dollars. The first one is Jason Statham, who had a gross of forty eight million dollars before taking home forty one million dollars. Stathum is just a quietly dominant actor. In the last year, he has been in Fast X Meg two, The Trench, and The Expendables four, and as of the recording of this podcast, he is the star of the highest grossing movie so far in twenty twenty four, The Beekeeper, so he will probably be back on this list next year. He is the quintessential action star right now. I think he is to the point that if you are a die hard fan of action, you will probably go watch every single movie that Jason Statham is in. And he's fifty six years old and has been doing this so well now for the last twenty years. It is honestly surprising to me how successful he has been, kind of being typecast in the same role over and over again. As much as I don't want to give him the credit for being a great actor, he can crush me with his wallet. And Jason Statum comes in at number seven, tied with Leonardo DiCaprio, who also had a gross of forty eight million dollars. And took home forty one million dollars to put him tied at seven eight. I don't know why they put two seventh on this list. The crazy thing here is Leonardo DiCaprio made a majority of this money on one movie. He was only in Killers of the Flower Moon last year, which he earned a reported forty million dollars just for that one movie. So it kind of shows you how much money people can make, at least him in particular on the back end from his library of work, which I wonder about that. I feel like he should make more because he's been in Titanic alone, which I feel like he will continue to get checks for the rest of his life. If he ever has kids, they will be getting checks probably for the rest of their life. But at forty eight million dollars gross and a forty one take home, that is inredible for one movie, and Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the panful of actors that could do something like that, even though he was snubbed an Oscar nomination for that movie. I don't really think he's hurting because he can be so selective just doing one movie a year if that, and do movies that he really cares about work with directors that he really has a great relationship with, and obviously him doing a Scorsese movie is probably a no brainer. So I think at this point, even though he made forty million dollars of one movie, I almost think he is at a point where the money doesn't really matter anymore. And I also heard Bradley Cooper talking about this recently when he was talking about he maybe only has three or four movies left in him, because to be an actor at that level, it takes so much time to focus on one project.
Speaker 2: It is four to five years of your life.
Speaker 13: From the moment you start developing a movie, get attached to it, and it finally comes out that he thinks that he maybe has four or five left, maybe three or four, that he thinks he only has a handful of movies left in him. I think that is the same case with Leonardo DiCaprio, who is later in his acting career but by no means is anywhere done. He could continue acting into his seventies and eighties, just look at Robert de Niro, but I think he has to be more selective on how he uses his time. He is obviously going to do movies now that are either gonna make a lot of money at the box office, therefore earning him more money, or really I think he is just interested in doing movies that are going to warrant an Oscar nomination. So tied at number seven Leonardo DiCaprio and Jason Stay them with forty one million dollars.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to the Sunday Sampler. Check out into the podcast that you missed. Maybe subscribe the Bobby Cast Four Things with Amy Brown, Sore Losers, Movie Mike's Movie podcast, Get Real with Caroline Hobby.
Speaker 2: Some new podcasts to come as well.
Speaker 1: We're very excited about subscribe if you would like it would help us rate and review. That would really help us. I know you don't often do that. I don't do that very often, but if you get a wild hair and you want to go rate and review like the Bobby Cast or Fourth four Things, that'll be awesome.
Speaker 2: All Right, you guys, thank you. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 5: This is sten stuff.