Speaker 1: You know what you demand and we deliver. That's how it works here. Sometimes it is Yes it Welcome to the podcast. Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 2: We got a brand new episode for you, and it is an awkward Thursday phone call.
Speaker 3: For you.
Speaker 1: We got some holiday drama definitely brewin.
Speaker 2: We're gonna help this guy out in just a second, but first, we love featuring your comments.
Speaker 4: Yes, and Peter Willshutt said, I just wanted to say I'm second date update addicted. I love to listen to these crazy stories. My neighbors started listening after I had y'all on speaker in my garden. Never change love from Holland.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Why do I picture his garden just all tulips? Yeah that's so rad.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for listening all over the world. It really truly makes our day. And enjoy this awkward Thursday.
Speaker 5: When your spouse says they refuse to come with you to your family Thanksgiving for the first time in five years, you know something is up.
Speaker 1: That that that was the first hit.
Speaker 3: Or maybe upside down.
Speaker 5: You know you're about to hear some drama that's been going down between a brother and a sister that's turning their Turkey day into Berserki day.
Speaker 3: And are you trying?
Speaker 1: Are you trying to coin that term?
Speaker 5: It is and the only possible way for them to fix it is by us doing a special awkward Thursday phone call.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna skip over that Berserki line.
Speaker 3: Okay, Brook, you come up with the joke.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: We'll do it.
Speaker 2: Coming out drama will be juicy, just like the Thanksgiving bird boom.
Speaker 6: It's coming up next.
Speaker 5: It's Awkward Thursday's Thursday.
Speaker 1: Our listeners love.
Speaker 5: That's right back by popular demand. It's the Awkward Thursday phone call.
Speaker 1: I love of our high end imaging that we have on this.
Speaker 3: I don't sense any sarcasm.
Speaker 5: Since Thanksgiving always lands on Thursdays, this is perfect because today's awkward call is about Turkey.
Speaker 3: Day's strange.
Speaker 5: It's usually such a peaceful, non confrontational holiday, just heard and football and constant hugs.
Speaker 1: Any drama coming out of that day.
Speaker 5: No, But apparently one of our listeners, Patrick is dealing with some family drama, so he's requested our help.
Speaker 3: Patrick, how does.
Speaker 5: It feel being the only family in America with an awkward Thanksgiving?
Speaker 7: I've fel sposed to like a normal day inding and why for me.
Speaker 1: It's technic all the time, he's being sarcastic. We all have family drama, so we got your back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's us and famies that probably don't talk at all, and that's the drama.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah, Oh well I need help.
Speaker 5: Okay, I can't promise anything, but we'll try. So tell us about the situation that's going on with you and your Thanksgiving this year.
Speaker 7: All right, So my sister has been hosting Thanksgiving now for the past five or six years, and she's got a really nice house. She's an awesome cook, which honestly makes sense.
Speaker 1: Right, she's a successful one in the family. I hear what you're saying.
Speaker 5: She wants to bragg to all the other family members about how how great she is.
Speaker 6: Guys, I think logistically it normally is that a person's the bigger house.
Speaker 2: That's like, we actually have a guest room that's empty even though everyone's here.
Speaker 7: Well, we'll just call her the golden goose.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay.
Speaker 7: She apparently read some kind of news story in England about a woman.
Speaker 8: Who was hosting a family dinner and she.
Speaker 7: Was charging per person to attend.
Speaker 1: Goodness, Oh right.
Speaker 7: I guess my sister said, well, I should do that for Thanksgiving.
Speaker 5: Oh no, we have heard other people before say that they are charging their families on Thanksgiving because of the extra costs that they have to do hosting and all that stuff, So it's not totally unheard of.
Speaker 1: I mean it's basically asking them to chip in.
Speaker 3: So how did your sister lay this out?
Speaker 7: Well, she didn't tell me directly. She sent me and my wife Evite with an RSVP option and there was a note that said our family of four would cost one hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 7: My wife thinks it's a joke. So she got on the phone with my sister and she found out she was actually serious, and they got into it. So now my wife's feelings are hurt and she doesn't want to go, and she's already on the plane ticket to go visit her family in another city.
Speaker 3: Go how much money is her family charging?
Speaker 1: Are you saying that.
Speaker 2: You and your my wife for right now splitting up for Thanksgiving? You would go with your family and she would go with hers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh that is a dream for you, right Brooke.
Speaker 1: Oh, I actually like being with my in laws. I mean I'd make fun of him a lot.
Speaker 2: No, I was talking about the family, But where's your problem because I feel like you have a problem now with your wife and adultso with your sister.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well I went and I told my sister about the situation and tried to make her feel guilty.
Speaker 1: Oh okay.
Speaker 8: Her response was good.
Speaker 7: We don't need her and it's still be one hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Oh oh wait, shouldn't it only be seventy five if you're bringing you in the two cads?
Speaker 7: That's that's what I asked her. I told her, but it's only three of us now, it should be twenty five dollars per person.
Speaker 8: And my sister just says, no, it's one hundred dollars.
Speaker 7: Her family.
Speaker 3: Oh, she's her family, not her plate. Okay.
Speaker 7: Well, even to the woman that she read about in England, that was just for a dinner party, you know, it wasn't a family gathering where everyone's supposed to be together for a happy, joyous Thanksgiving. So obviously my sister is a little she's a little out of control, and now I need help talking some sense into her. And I just could use some advice guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you want to call your sister?
Speaker 7: Yes, because my wife says she's already done with this situation and the whole Thanksgiving thing, and I'm just wanting to kind of mend defenses here and just try to save Thanksgiving essentially.
Speaker 1: Can I ask what it would take for your wife to that? I was going to say, can come to come back?
Speaker 3: Yeah? How much money do we have to pay your wife? Book out?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm curious, like, are we wanting your sister? Are you asking her to apologize? Or are you asking her to drop the fee?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What what would it take to keep things peaceful?
Speaker 7: Basically, just look at the situation and say, this is a family gathering. We need to be together as a family. This isn't a paid per plate kind of deal.
Speaker 4: Has anybody else in your family complained about it?
Speaker 7: Several people have talked about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, have they already paid her?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 8: Yes, some of them have have actually paid for this? Oh wow what hey? I told them, don't do it because I have friends in radio.
Speaker 7: Who are the experts?
Speaker 3: Who are they?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh you dad the wrong number?
Speaker 3: Oh oh you're talking about us? Oh god?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yah, Patrick, Okay, we can do this Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: And there's nothing more that Alexis likes in asking people for money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe just have the hundred bucks ready in case.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but we need to try to think of some advice to give to Patrick before he calls his sister and asks her to see reason before Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Here, Yeah, drop the charges sis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Patrick, are you cool with cursing because that may affect Brooks advice.
Speaker 7: If she has the ears. I got the tone.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've never heard that saying I don't know heard that, not even sure what it means.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of into it.
Speaker 5: But we'll come back with your advice to let you make your awkward Thursday phone call.
Speaker 3: Thanksgiving edition coming up right after this.
Speaker 1: Get the dump button ready.
Speaker 3: To It's awkward. It's Thursday. It's awkward Thursday.
Speaker 5: Nothing says Thanksgiving like charging your family money to be in your presence.
Speaker 3: That's when it's not good. It's sweet.
Speaker 5: It's not totally unheard of because it is a pretty expensive meal. But our listener Patrick is in a unique situation where his sister is charging one hundred dollars per family. Even though Patrick's wife is already backed out of the event and frustration, his sister's still hitting him with the full one hundred dollars fee for him and his two children.
Speaker 2: To attend, and mind you, how she sent the news be a bite, Yeah, it wasn't like a text threat.
Speaker 5: Even I'm impressed by it too, don't get me wrong. Aggressive, yes, but clearly it is disturbing the entire family vibe. So Patrick is desperate for some advice on how to get his sister to see reason. Maybe lower the fees, just do something to get this holiday back on track. So it's more about giving again. So Broke, what's your advice for Patrick?
Speaker 1: I mean, honestly, Patrick, she's your sister.
Speaker 2: You need to explain to her this is dividing the family. Is that what she really wants? Make her see that and listen. If that doesn't work, to reason, you just let her know that you may or may not be sharing a very embarrassing story from childhood at the thing.
Speaker 7: That's only reason.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm going to beat you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little blackmail in a sibling relationship is healthy.
Speaker 5: Healthy Patrick, I'm not hearing from me. You are you down for a little family extortion to save Thanksgiving?
Speaker 1: Can you a good story.
Speaker 8: If it saves Thanksgiving?
Speaker 7: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: Okay, let's remember that one. And Jose, what's your advice?
Speaker 6: Well, you're not gonna get very far in the discussion if she's already like gotten into it with your wife, right, Yeah, I know, which adds drama. So maybe just to keep the peace, you tell her I'll slide you one hundred bucks, but just tell my wife it was free.
Speaker 3: Just say, hey, I took the fee off.
Speaker 7: I'll use that if it's a last resort.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: What's your sister's name? Patrick?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, Angela.
Speaker 5: Hopefully we're gonna melt Angela's cold, cold heart.
Speaker 6: He sounds like a.
Speaker 1: Very lovely he's definitely the oldest sibling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a little hot in there though, so maybe a little melting action could be in the store.
Speaker 3: Here we go, I'm gonna down the number. Patrick, you've got this man?
Speaker 8: Hello, Hey, Angie, it's Patrick.
Speaker 9: Wait, sorry, do you change your number? This was like some random.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know, I kind of dropped the old phone and the toilet and I just had I just had to get a new phone.
Speaker 9: So yeah, no, I thought it was one of those stam calls of getting so many completely it's ridiculous.
Speaker 7: Well, trying to extend your car's limited warranty, Yeah.
Speaker 9: Something like that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've been getting those two.
Speaker 8: Gotta talk to you about something.
Speaker 7: Okay, it's about this whole Thanksgiving fee.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think it's gonna be one of the best Thanksgivings we've had.
Speaker 7: Okay, how do you figure that? Like, you're well, charging your own family to spend time at your house.
Speaker 9: Well, sure, I mean with the stress of money and the grocery bills and the cleaning bills afterward. I mean, this year, it looks like I'm actually gonna have a bit of a surplus here.
Speaker 7: What huh, you're making money off of this?
Speaker 9: I mean at first they thought, you know, I was just barely gonna break even. But then it came to me.
Speaker 3: What did well, Baba and Papa, what are you talking about?
Speaker 9: Well, okay, they're old. You know, they're gonna need priority parking, So the driveway is just going to be roped off just for them so they can get in and out easily. And it's just going to be like fifty dollars a pop.
Speaker 7: What are you talking about? You're charging our grandparents.
Speaker 9: For an important service. I think it's going to be one of our most successful thanksgivings. And if you don't come, you're gonna you're gonna miss out. I mean the food's going to be next level.
Speaker 7: I mean it's always like really good, but.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well this year it's going to be even better. I mean I've had like three people, I think pay for upgrades for the pies this year.
Speaker 3: Is What is that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 9: Okay, it was on the evite If you would care to read it, you you get a bigger slice with more witch cream for seven dollars.
Speaker 7: WHOA, what are you going to do next? Pay to use the restroom?
Speaker 9: Look, don't be ridiculous. I mean I'm being practical. The whole reason that I'm doing this in the first place is to help pay for a new garage door. Okay, wait what a garage door?
Speaker 7: Angie? Listen to yourself.
Speaker 9: I accidentally hit it last week when I was watching a TikTok while I was driving. What is who are all these people?
Speaker 1: Family?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I can't afford to be in this family.
Speaker 5: We're a family radio show, Angela, We're a morning show called.
Speaker 1: Brook and jeffreyel Patrick.
Speaker 9: What is this?
Speaker 7: You're on a radio show. I wanted to get the whole premise of why you think this is a good idea?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean he needed a little help obviously.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, Angela, this is called an Awkward Thursday phone call, extremely popular segment nationwide.
Speaker 3: You should listen.
Speaker 5: But basically, your brother is a little bit frustrated with how this whole Thanksgiving fee is going over.
Speaker 2: Okay, and he's not the only one, like you're dividing the family.
Speaker 1: His wife is refusing to come. You got in a fight with her. Other family members are upset.
Speaker 9: No one else has talked to me about this. It seems like it's just his wife.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: You don't think that your family's talking behind your back right now, Angie.
Speaker 1: I have on Grandpa for sure.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Charging they're just definitely a thread that you're not on.
Speaker 5: Just because they're not saying something directly to you doesn't mean they're not a little bit uncomfortable with the situation unfolding.
Speaker 9: I think it's entrepreneurial, Okay, Okay, it's a little.
Speaker 5: Business savvy, but it's against you. Nobody's here saying we're not going to steal that idea for ourselves and do it at our own thanksgivings. We're not saying that, but we are saying that clearly, your brother is struggling with the whole concept.
Speaker 2: And he's not very good at talking for himself clearly.
Speaker 5: I mean, Patrick, you should jump in and talk to your sister about this. This is between you and your family.
Speaker 7: I'm just trying to figure out what the hell is going on with this whole situation. Angie. You know you don't need to rope anything off. You don't even need to charge.
Speaker 3: That's not what Patrick's saying.
Speaker 1: Angie.
Speaker 2: You don't want your brother and his family to miss dinner, do you, So.
Speaker 9: He should pay the hundred and.
Speaker 5: Be there, Okay, Patrick, I mean, look, it sounds like not a lot is working here, so maybe.
Speaker 3: It's a good time to go with Jose's advice.
Speaker 7: All right, Angie, I'll slip you the one hundred dollars. Just just don't tell Amanda. Okay, you're right, I'll just tell her it's free.
Speaker 9: M You know what, make it one fifty?
Speaker 1: Have a deal? Is there a fifty dollars line? Surcharge? Is that what you're doing?
Speaker 9: Fifty dollars? Put me on the radio?
Speaker 7: Searcharge? Now, Angie, that's just exploitatious.
Speaker 1: It was Patrick.
Speaker 3: It was exploitatious to put her on the radio. Patrick, it's big if you admit the radio feed.
Speaker 2: I don't think they think Angie's really in the boss in this situation.
Speaker 1: I think you should take the deal.
Speaker 4: Before it goes up into one and get your wife the pie up grade you got to add.
Speaker 7: Come on a good husband there, all right, all right, I'll the one hundred and fifty dollars and throw in a pie upgrade for my wife.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 9: Good doing business with you, brother.
Speaker 5: Oh it's a happy Thanksgiving after all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we failed him so hard.
Speaker 7: I regret calling in.
Speaker 5: The experts, rooking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 3: So what did we learn from all that?
Speaker 5: Other than don't call us with your family problems because we'll probably make them worse.
Speaker 2: We learned that the older sister in that family has like quite the business line she is.
Speaker 1: She's a boss.
Speaker 5: I mean, we definitely learn people who are greedy trying to profit off of family during the holidays. Those people seem to come out on top. Yes, probably worth trying.
Speaker 2: It, you know, I will say, though, even if she profits a little, if she's hosted all of this and done all the food for the last five years, I mean she's still kind of losing money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, that's why you always get.
Speaker 1: A different family member to host.
Speaker 3: You gotta switch it up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, something tells me that drama hasn't quite ended for Angela and her family. She's gonna have a venmo QR code up in the middle of the dinner table to up charge gamgam for her second serving of greenach.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: Best of luck to Angela and Patrick and their entire family this Thanksgiving. But if you ever need some help in your personal life, you can always email the show.
Speaker 3: We can do an Awkward Thursday phone call.
Speaker 5: Awkward Tuesday, Awkward Wednesday are open now. Yeah, we'll do it for you. Just find us online at Brooke and Jeffrey