Speaker 1: Hi, everybody be on the lookout. APB, middle aged white male podcaster on the loose, guilty of bad jokes. Manhunt underway. That's right, everyone, how man hunts work? December sixteenth, twenty thirteen. Enjoy it right here, right now.
Speaker 2: Now I've got to go.
Speaker 3: I'm on the LAMB. Welcome to Stuff you should know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh Clark. There's child Chuck Bryant. Guest producer Noel is hanging out with us for today. Noel, and that makes the stuff you should know the podcast. That's right. I gotta come in with something different to call it, so you should know the podcast. It's boring.
Speaker 3: We're the explanerators infocast, right, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Podcast is what it is? Edertainment? Chuck. Yes, do you know of a man named James Earl Ray? Yeah? Yeah, a jerk, Yes, I saw him. I saw him referred to as dim witted. Oh really yeah, which makes his escape pretty thrilling and yeah, suspect. Really well, let me give you a little back out. So, James Earlray was a Missouri prison escape ee when he rolled into Memphis to assassinate Martin Luther King Junior, Yes, who was in Memphis to support the sanitation workers strike there in nineteen sixty eight. And James Earl Ray got a room across the street from the Lorraine Hotel where MLKA was staying, apparently published in the papers not only where he was staying, but his room number, which I guess was custom at the time. Actually, from what I understand, it was customary. Okay, it wasn't unheard of. And James Rolway got a room, found out that he had a decent shot at the balcony outside of King's room if he leaned out of the bathroom the shared bathroom of his communal hotel and shared bathroom huh, shared bathroom down, So somebody could have gone in and been like, oh sorry, sir, pretty much didn't see you in here with that rifle, with that huge hunting rifle. Yeah, Well he got a shot off, he killed MLK, and he ran out of this place that was referred to as a flophouse, and he left behind valuable evidence with his prints on it, namely the rifle, a bundle of his clothing, and some other stuff that they used to create a trail for James Rolway, got a name, eventually got a picture, and James Roway made it out of Memphis and he actually made it to Canada, and he made it to Portugal and then the UK. And the way he made it was under an assumed passport, which for a dim witted Missouri prison escapee, a forged passport. That's pretty heavy stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was probably easier back then.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, you know he was traveling under the name George Ramon Snead right, Yes, And they found out that he was traveling under that name because Canadian police, after being contacted by American authorities with a picture of James Roway, went through about one hundred and fifty thousand passports that they had accepted. I guess they had copies of them, yeah, I think about it, and then finally found one that looked like James Rolray found out that the person traveling under that passport was in fact at Heathrow Airport or in London. Yeah, and when he went to Heathrow Airport, they apprehended him and he said, you got me. I'm James Olwray and I killed MLK.
Speaker 3: Imagine that was tough because everyone back then looked like James Rolray.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 3: You know, all those dudes looked the same back in the fifties, although this was the sixties, but he still looked like that in the fifties.
Speaker 2: Looked fifties ish, he did.
Speaker 3: And he confessed and then later on, of course, recanted and said no, I was part of a plot and a conspiracy, and they said ts.
Speaker 2: Well, actually the King family said, you know what, we think this guy's telling the truth, and they got a new trial brought and he died in prison before he could be brought to trial again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the late nineties. Yeah, and then you two wrote a song about it. What song it was, the song Pride in the Name of Love? Oh yeah, early morning April four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that came before James lay. Yeah, what do you mean you said, and then you two wrote it was just missing You confused me for a second.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't know if it was early morning either, for I think for some reason I always heard that Bono got that one wrong.
Speaker 2: Oh really, yeah, I'll have to look that up.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what time it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure we could find out.
Speaker 3: But Bono wouldn't say that morning is like a state of mind or something. I'm cool, got on blue sunglasses always.
Speaker 2: So the humph for James Earl Ray is just one example. History is littered with manhunts, and what's strange about that is that no manhunt really resembles other man hunts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's it's weird, like you can hole up in the woods for years and then eventually get caught, or if you're a whitey Bulger, you can go out in your driveway in Santa Monica and get caught. Like I guess, no manhunt is the same, because no going on the lamb is the same. Some prefer hideen plane sight deal, some prefer the middle of the woods. Some people prefer you know, Bolivia.
Speaker 2: Sure you know, Nazis. What would you do if I were on the run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on the lamb, I would. I would probably be a woodland creature.
Speaker 2: I don't know, But even if I did know, I wouldn't say on the podcast because that'd be pretty dumb. If in case I ever do need to go on the lamb in the future.
Speaker 3: Although the hide and plain sight thing is there's something to be said for that.
Speaker 2: Sure you know, Yeah, Well, I mean you've got to get some plastic surgery done in this day and.
Speaker 3: Age, Yeah, or just mesh your face up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, actually, with Whitey Bulger, he was on the LAMB with his longtime girlfriend Catherine Grieg I believe her name was, and she had extensive plastic surgery.
Speaker 3: And which had nothing to do with being on the LAMB.
Speaker 2: They well, they she actually got them found. Oh really, yeah, they're so. Whitey Bulger was on the LAMB for sixteen years, right, Yeah, and it was he was up there with Osama bin Laden as one of America's most wanted fugitives. There was a million dollar bounty on it. Said it was big time, and whenever they found out that he had been somewhere where they thought he was somewhere, the FBI would take out thirty second commercials on TV, yeah, saying have you seen this man? Have you seen this woman? This woman is known to frequent hair salons. This guy's Whitey Bulger. You know the FBI if you see them in the area during times when his girlfriend's demographic, Yeah, would be watching TV. Oh sure, So this served a twofold purpose. One if she saw it and he saw it, then it would scare him and hopefully flush him out of hiding, because it's a lot easier to catch somebody out in the open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is a common tactic, right.
Speaker 2: Or two, the people that she might be friends with and associate with could be watching TV at the time and drop a dime on her. And in fact, that's what happened.
Speaker 3: Someone like some lady who gave her a pedicure.
Speaker 2: Add a hair salon really called and said, I think this woman that you're looking for is here, and this is her address, And the cops went to the to the apartment said sir, it looks like somebody broke into your storage unit here around the corner. And why he bowls your steps outside and they go clink clank.
Speaker 3: Why did they even say that? Could they not go inside or something?
Speaker 2: I guess they didn't have enough probable cause they had to lure him outside. I love that. That's okay, right.
Speaker 3: It's not okay them in, but it's okay to lie and say that your story unit's busted into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, surprise he feel for that too. Yeah, I'm sure he is too.
Speaker 3: He might have gotten lazy after sixteen years.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, man. I think he was really wound up pretty tight. I read a long form article by a neighbor of his, a young guy who befriended him over the years, and he said he was wound up real tight, always on the lookout. Did he write a book seem cagey?
Speaker 3: He will called like neighbor to the mob?
Speaker 2: Pretty I'm sure, Matthew Modine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if I liok next to Whitey Bull dread, that book would be on the shelves right now, sure, and it would be called neighbor to the mob.
Speaker 2: I wonder what Aaron Cooper's going to make that? So who else we got? John Wilkes Booth.
Speaker 3: He famously went on the lamb for a pretty short time after he shot Lincoln twelve days and ended up in a farmhouse where there's all kinds of stories on how he might have died, whether he was burned alive or whether he was truly rooted out by the fire and then shot.
Speaker 2: Did you die instantly? Did you linger for a while?
Speaker 3: But either way, manhunts have been around as long as people have been killing people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there are some principles that do kind of hold true for all man hunts across the board, and pretty much one of them is get the public involved. Yeah, because when you do that time and time again, manhunts have shown that, like, somebody out there has seen this person recently and will call right.
Speaker 3: Especially these days with technology, with like everyone having a camera in their pocket basically, or sharing on social media, or being up to the second with news reports. It's like it's made manhunts easier.
Speaker 2: Yes, And then the other factor that makes for a successful manhunt is having a lot of people doing a lot of grunt work. Like, yeah, the Canadian officials going through all of those passports to try to find one that looked like James Rolay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder how many people they visited before him, like the other twelve guys that look just.
Speaker 2: Like Cancel, Like, it's not me, so all right, Chuck. So let's say that somebody's on the run in the United States and it's not it's not a big deal. It's not necessarily a national man hunt. It's a it's a regional man hunt.
Speaker 3: We'll say, Okay, like someone knocked off a liquor store and shot somebody and was on the loose. Yeah, in a neighborhood.
Speaker 2: I want to find that guy. What do you do?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm glad you asked, because I've done this.
Speaker 2: With mirrored sunglasses on. Yeah, Bloodhound.
Speaker 3: The first thing you gotta do, my friend, is contain the area. It's called containment, and it sounds just like what it is. You are basically trying to seal off an area and watch all the possible exits from that area. If it's a neighborhood, I guess you're going to just pick out a certain amount of blockage and shut it down and have cops posted at each street exit right, and just know that we have at least this area completely contained. If this dude is in here, and we're going to say, guys, because how many times do women do stupid stuff like this and go in the lamb?
Speaker 2: Not much? You know? Sure? Have you not heard of thellman Louise?
Speaker 3: That's like the one thing.
Speaker 2: So if you do have an area contained, what you want to do is not just not let anybody in or out without finding out if it's the person you're looking for. Yeah, you also probably want to go door to door and say, hey, are you being held hostage right now? Did some guy with a gun come into your basement window recently? And that's what they did? Actually, or with a twenty square block area when there's parching for the Boston Marathon.
Speaker 3: Bombers, Yeah, should we talk about those guys real quick? Sure they were jerks too, Yeah, the sarenof brothers. They blew up a couple of pressure cookers fashioned into bombs at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, and the FBI got on it pretty quick with getting photos released of who they thought these guys were, which turned out to be really key because after a kind of a crazy scene where one of them was shot and killed by the police, like throwing bombs at the cops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was quite a scene. Run over by his brother.
Speaker 3: And then the one I guess is that Zo Car.
Speaker 2: The da silent right, Yeah, Joe Kar or Jokar Joe Car.
Speaker 3: I think he is the one that ended up in a residential neighborhood hiding in a boat under a tarp.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was.
Speaker 3: They sniffed him off the case with some infrared imaging and basically it was like pred They're like, there's a guy in that boat because I see his red body breathing.
Speaker 2: Right. So the reason that they found out that the dude was in the boat was because the person who owned the boat was in this area under the security lockdown in containment, and was well aware thanks to the local news and social media and everything else, that they were looking for this guy. So when he saw that there was a dude in his boat, he called the cops. That's how the cops found suspect number two in the Boston bombing case. Right.
Speaker 3: I bet that was a rush for that guy.
Speaker 2: I read about like what he said. I think he was kind of scared.
Speaker 3: I'm sure, because it's pretty obvious, like you see a guy there's a lockdown in your neighborhood, and you see guy go climb under your boat tarp in their backyard.
Speaker 2: That's him. Yeah, you know, bleeding guy. I think he was bleeding at the time. Even more reason so with the Boston's a great case because it's recent, everybody knows about it, but because it has like so many different points to it that really kind of give you an idea of what a manhunt consists of. So you've got containment, you've got a door to door search, you've got the public transportation being shut down. Yeah, that was a big one. That's part of containment as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they set up a no fly zone, they closed the schools, they closed, they shuttered businesses. It was basically the biggest shutdown of a major US city in history.
Speaker 2: Right, People who were in the containment area were asked to not leave their house. That horrid news speak. Shelter in place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, term that just sounds like you should be in a corner like.
Speaker 2: Shelter in place.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember a tweet from doctor Ruth while that was going on. She's saying, Hey, if you're having the shelter in place, maybe now's a good time to turn off the TV and get intimate with your loved one. I couldn't believe it. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they say they're still counting up the monies, but it's tallying up to over a billion dollars for that man hunt.
Speaker 2: What isn't that crazy? Somebody's milking that. You gotta think billion dollars. I got a little sidebar, let's hear it.
Speaker 3: Not on a man hunt, but President Obama came through my neighborhood a few months ago, like on his way to school indicator for something cool, and literally drove like down the block from my house the motorcade. Did did you run out to him? Well, no, you can't that's my point. Like my friend, you remember Chris Cox, his wife, We ended up being stuck at the same intersection and her house was across the street, like forty feet away. She's like, sir, that is my house. I have a babysitter there. I'm paying, Like, can I just walk across the street. And he was like, nope, no, he would not let her walk across the street and enter her own home.
Speaker 2: You have no rights. The president is on your street.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he wasn't even It took like another half hour and she's like, I really just need to walk right there, and he wouldn't allow it.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: So that's some serious lockdown. Is when the government wants to lock you down, they can lock you down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. Yeah, so chuck, uh, you do have rights, however.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's a good segue.
Speaker 2: I guess it was a great segue, buddy. Yeah, if you're in if you're being told not to leave your house, first of all, you can technically leave your house, can you. I think you just your risk of being shot at by the police go through the roof. Maybe, So that's a pretty good reason not to leave your house, just out of common sense. You can be enraged. All you want indoors, well, just like any other night, and the police can't just come busting down your door saying is he in here? No, okay, let's go kick down the next door. They can knock and say can we come in and look, and you can say yeah, your nay. If they have probable cause, say one of them saw the suspect run into your house, they can go in after him without asking you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Or if they're creeping around your backyard and peeking in your wind, which they can do legally. Yeah, the cops Yeah they can. They could, you know, see somebody they think looks like the suspect and say that's probable cause.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a loophole big enough to drive like an armored truck through if you're not picking up on that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: If they need to provide emergency services, they can do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They can say, oh, we thought you you needed CPR. We're glad to see you're okay. Now that we're in your house, we're looking around.
Speaker 3: Or another big loophole is the exigent circumstances, which I don't know. In the case of Boston, they could probably barge into anyone's home and be covered under that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's basically like there were there's a state of emergency going on, Like the civil law is just out the window because the situation is so dire. And yeah, they argued that this guy was running around with explosives. That's an emergency. Sure, as far as I know, they didn't like go into any houses unbidden though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're not trying to say, like in a case like that, like bust down some doors, you know, Like I'm not saying like cops shouldn't be doing this stuff. Well, there were like two bombers on the loose, so I get it.
Speaker 2: Even still, the cops don't want to bust down a door because they're going to have to prove exigence circumstances, and if they can't, then any evidence that they got from an unlawful searches out the door, and so their case could be as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta be careful stuff like that. Past thing you want to do is have your purp walk you like all.
Speaker 2: This cops speak, Yeah walk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're purp walks because of bad, bad evidence, then you're gonna be uh, what's.
Speaker 2: What's it called?
Speaker 3: When the cop gets eighty six eighty six suspended without pay. I'm feeling like we're channeling the TV show episode we Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're like we had a TV show. Yeah, I just owned out about that. Okay, where are we then? Well? I was saying that one of the hallmarks of a good man hunt is having a lot of people doing a lot of work. And again, Boston was a good example of that. You had a lot of different law enforcement agencies, basically ones you hadn't even heard of, all ponying up personnel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you're gonna get state cops, local cops, sheriffs, FBI, and that that's for a case like that, or obviously if it's something like UBL then everyone seems you're a dark thirty or if you haven't, you should. You've got like thousands of people over a decade, all over the world working together.
Speaker 2: It was just that one lady.
Speaker 3: It was just the one lady, the pretty redhead.
Speaker 2: So the author of this article makes a pretty good point that during a man hunt there is such a thing as what in police speak would be called collateral damage. I guess sure. Like the LAPD search for Christopher Dorner is a very good example of this. Do you remember that case?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, that was freaky.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There's like, there's a Facebook page it's twenty thousand plus people strong that says it's called we Stand with Christopher Dorner. Oh really yeah, because he left behind. So he was an LAPD officer who was fired for making a false accusation against another cop, right when he reported that a cop he was working with kicked a homeless man during an arrest. But that was false. It was found false, and he was fired as a result. From his perspective, if you see it through his through his eyes, that was all just a huge cover up, and they got rid of the troublemaker who was not, you know, going with the flow on the force.
Speaker 3: The LAPD covering up seas right, that's weird.
Speaker 2: So he leaves this like angry manifesto about you know how the LAPD is the most corrupt organization on the planet and it's racist and yeah, there's a lot of people out there who are like, I know this to be true. Yeah, I've I've been on the wrong end of a night stick with the LAPD.
Speaker 3: I've seen LA confidential, Yeah exactly, and that's in the forties. Yeah, I mean it's that's I know they've cleaned it up a lot, but that is one department in this country that's been fraught with allegation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and his point was they haven't cleaned it up a lot, they've just gotten better at PR. So he goes on, he takes the manifesto and ends up going on in assassination killing spree, killing cops. Yeah, killed the woman who represented him in his case, who is the daughter of a cop.
Speaker 3: And it was announced like that's what's so scary about it was like he was like, Hey, I'm coming to kill cops. Exactly, You're not going to see me coming either.
Speaker 2: He was on a rampage. Yeah, it was scary stoff. So the LAPD is super jumpy at this point and they fire on not one but two cars that don't have Christopher Dorner in them. Killed two people unbelievable as a result. And finally there's this standoff after they find him thanks to some Ark rangers in Big Bear or Big Sir, one of the two they had Big Bear Big Bear, and he ends up setting the cabin he's in on fire and haishing in flames. That was crazy, But the fact is two different cars were shot on by the LAPD during the search for this guy. So these aren't just necessarily clean affairs. Same with Ben Lawden. You know, this was part of the campaign that took place over a very long time and a lot of people were killed to weaken the structure that was hiding him.
Speaker 3: Still, yeah, drone strikes out the wazoo.
Speaker 2: They used some.
Speaker 3: Pretty interesting tactics too that were not in the movie, even though I've heard the movie is pretty accurate, but they didn't include everything obviously. They sent a doctor in a CIA guy who conducted an immunization drive in the neighborhood where they believed his compound was there and basically hoping to come across DNA from him or his family under the guise of a blood drive.
Speaker 2: Right, it was an ammunization driver.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they didn't call it like, hey, it's a DNA collection, right drive.
Speaker 2: But there was a big public outcry, especially from the vaccine establishment, saying like, dude, you can't do that because now our name is on that vaccine right and the next time we want to have a real vaccine drive, no one's going to show up, and our vaccination people are going to get killed because they're going to think they're CIA. Yeah, there's a big beef, a big hubbub about that. That's legit.
Speaker 3: These days, it's tough, especially if you're in a city like London, England, to do anything without being caught on a closed circuit camera.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In fact, that's how they eventually identified with the help of actually one of the victims. In Boston, they were on camera too, But if you're in a big city, it's tough to get away with.
Speaker 2: Anything these days. Cameras are everywhere.
Speaker 3: They also have I mentioned the infrared device, the forward looking infrared device, night vision. You've got all sorts of tricks up your sleeve as law enforcement agencies. You think you're hiding in a boat under a tarp, that's pretty safe. You don't think about the dude with the predator camera that can see you from you know, fifty feet away, breathing heavily.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: They also have like armored trucks. I think you mentioned those, yeah, even not even about this.
Speaker 2: Like from Diehard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you see those things roll in like I'm sure they love to play with those once a year. Again that was LAPD Yeah, but those are very expensive, but they do come in handy. I guess about once a year if you can afford it, if your town's large enough.
Speaker 2: We should say that there was facial recognition software that they had working on the video for the Boston bombing and it did not work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have an article on that. By the way, I think we should cover that at some point.
Speaker 2: Facial recognition. Yeah, yeah, that's scary stuff. Google has one that like they won't they won't release to the publicly because they're afraid of the use it'll be put to. It's like that good wow, and that potentially bad.
Speaker 3: But the one the CIA has doesn't work that well.
Speaker 2: I could see Google having way better algorithms than the CIA. That's true, so chuck. Another aspect of Boston search, the Boston man hunt, yeah, was the use of social media for good and ill or did good effect and bad? I should say, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Getting the word out on Facebook and Twitter is not a bad idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, the Reddit was kind of the star of the show or the scapegoat, I should say, for social media in the search for the Boston bombing suspects, because there were apparently like a couple thousand stills, video stills and photographs from the area around the time. Of the bombing posted on a reddit subreddit. Yeah, and all of these people were like combing through like they were trying to crowdsource this man hunt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is a good intention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were looking for suspects before anybody ever released any official photos, and that in and of itself is kind of a good idea, sure, but it went a step further where the people on Reddit were saying, Okay, I've got to figure it out, and it's this person, and they would name a suspect, and all of a sudden, there's a rumor out there that this person bombed the Boston marathon, even though they hadn't so read. It took a lot of heat for that, and apparently they even took that forum down. But social media also helped in a lot of ways because everybody was totally connected to this man hunt and had completely up to the date, information to the minute, information from within that containment area, from everywhere, and I guess kind of helped a little more than just passively watching television during a man hunt.
Speaker 3: You know the point one of my favorite man hunts, and this is weird to say that, but actually, you know what, let's take a break. I'm going to tease that, and I'm going to reveal my favorite man hunt after the break.
Speaker 2: Okay, So who is it. It's the Unibomber.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, Yeah, that's Kidzinski was on the LAMB for eighteen years. One of the lengthiest manhunts in US history. Not easy to hide out for that long and he did it, which he did it in the wild of Montana.
Speaker 2: Just pretty good idea.
Speaker 3: I guess if you're going to hide out, just drop off the map. Yeah, type manifestos. Actually Montana. They should have been looking there, They should have been going there first. But he mailed sixteen bombs over the course of quite a few years and ended up killing three people, wounding twenty three more, and had a million dollar bounty on his head. Was one of the most wanted and eventually he was rooted out by his own brother, who read one of the manifestos and said that sounds like Teddy Yeah, and went to the cops and said, hey, this guy might be my brother. The writing style, the things he's saying like it very well could be my brother.
Speaker 2: And it turned out that was him, right, So, which is another another point for the case that for a man hunt to work, you have to get the public involved, and they did so by publishing these manifestos and said, anybody familiar with this? Yeah, and the guy's brother said, yeah, me, Yeah, same with Eric Robert Rudolph. Yeah, that's his name. I don't remember how they caught him.
Speaker 3: I believe it was hikers in the woods, Okay, turned him in. I might be wrong, but he was definitely hiding out in the woods. And he was, of course the Olympic bomber, not the guy they originally in pended on, which was pretty.
Speaker 2: Sad, right. What was his name, Richard Jewel? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Man, I felt so bad for that dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine, like life ruined?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they compensated him pretty handsomely afterward. But then he only lived a couple of several million. Oh yeah, he died of a heart attack a few years after that.
Speaker 3: I don't think I knew that. Yeah, it's because he's like, I'm eating steak in lobster every night. Now ask me the drawn butter or Richard Jewel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know he died. Yeah, And then so back to online real quick. There's there's evidence that you can crowdsource a man hunt. Yeah, there's a whole group of people that live online that are into true crime, that are that like use their interest in their online search skills to try to find the identities of like long lost serial killers. And there's all sorts of online man hunts that amateurs take on. And apparently the State Department held something called the Tag Challenge where they had people hiding in cities around the world and people had twelve hours online contestants had twelve hours to find them in like these five different cities. That's fun, using just mugshots and it worked. So they found that with a search, as time becomes more of an essence, is the pressure mount people stopped just shooting the info out to wherever they can and start like really targeting, focusing their search. And once you have a bunch of people doing that who are really focused in searching, but a lot of them and sharing information like on social media, that's when they like a search and not just a manhunt or search for a person, but a search for anything becomes most successful.
Speaker 3: I guess, well, yeah, imagine in Boston, I bet every thousands of people in that twenty square block radius are looking out of their window.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for this dude. Yeah, so you've.
Speaker 3: Got thousands and thousands of more eyeballs. That's two eyeballs per person in most cases, unless you're one of those weird pirates Boston pirates. And that's just that helps you know, yeap, as long as they're not out, don't grab their guns and you know, get in position. Well, yeah, that's a scary.
Speaker 2: Well that's why they released the pictures of the suspects finally, because they were trying to crack down on online vigil anianism that could lead to real life vigilaniism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so hats off to the dude who saw the dude in the boat.
Speaker 2: You got anything else? I got nothing else? All right, Well, if you want to learn more about manhunts, you can tuck that word in the search bar at house Stuff Works. And since I said search bar, that means it's time for listener mail. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm going to call this Chess about Chess, and I'm gonna read a couple of them, not here, but one now and one another of so because we got a lot of great feedback from Chest enthusiasts, I noticed people dig this game.
Speaker 2: This is from David Wagner.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, while you were discussing the concept of castling, y'all said you didn't quite understand the value or strategy behind it.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 3: It is all about protecting the king. Remember how you pointed out that you want to control the center of the board. Yes, that when your pieces are off to the side, they're not as strong. Yes, well, that has a lot to do with why you want to castle. Basically, the king is more vulnerable, open to attacks and has less protection when he remains in his original ear d square, So you want to castle him and get him away from those center squares.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 3: Also, you talk about the en passant rule, which is one of my favorites and something almost.
Speaker 2: Never pass up.
Speaker 3: He's not like TV Herman, mostly because I get because I rarely get a chance to implement it. It doesn't happen when a pond passes another pawn though on its first move out. It is when it lands next to another pawn that the latter pond capture it. So I think we screwed that up a little.
Speaker 2: Ye up, big time? Not big time. We were close. No, I got that way wrong.
Speaker 3: Okay, one last thing and then I'll quit chess pieces. You're gonna love this, and their's symbols on top. Many of the basic pieces themselves serve as visual reminders of how they can move. For example, the night is l shaped, which is how it moves. The bishop's miter has a diagonal slit in it. They move diagonally. The rook, when seen from above, can move in the basic cardinal directions forward, back, left, right, and on top of the rook there are turrets pointing in all the cardinal directions.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: A queen has many points on her crown showing that she can go in any way, any direction, and that small little cross on top of the king lets you know how far he can go, although that doesn't include his diagonomos, which he can.
Speaker 2: Move in, so that on the whole theory kind of falls apart there a little bit.
Speaker 3: But that is from David Wagner in Columbia, South Carolina.
Speaker 2: Nice, Thanks a lot, Wagner. That was a great email, pleasant, approachable, gentle with the correction, just good stuff all around. You can dance to it. You're right man. Way to go, Wagner. If you want to send us an email or reach out to us digitally to say hello or whatever, you can tweet to us, join us on Twitter at sysk podcast, join us on Facebook at facebook dot com, slash Stuff you Should Know, or you can send us an email to Stuff Podcast at HowStuffWorks dot com. Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.