Speaker 1: Former Big League gm Danduquet joining us right now on ft DAN. Great to catch up with you again. It's good to see you and how's everything been?
Speaker 2: See you guys. How are you doing?
Speaker 1: We are good, So we have a lot to get to with you. But I do want to start with the headliner. I mean, you sent in some words to the Baltimore Sun that I thought were really cool. I mean, you had a great run, and I remember covering your team there with you and Buck for a good run at the time, and many other notable names and faces Machado, Adam Jones, etc. So can you run through kind of what you've seen in terms of the narrative around Baltimore and then what your response was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, the I wrote a short letter because I didn't like the fact that they said that the organization.
Speaker 2: When I left it was a mess, because it wasn't a mess.
Speaker 3: I've always prided myself I'm having a good organization and infrastructure, and I left good teams, actually my best team I left in Montreal when I left there to go to Boston. And in Boston when I left, I left them the foundation which they leveraged a couple of championships, shortly after I left.
Speaker 2: There, and then in Baltimore, we did the same things.
Speaker 3: You know, Bill Parcell says, you know, you got to have some groceries in the cupboard, and I think we left some groceries in the cupboard there and a pretty solid foundation.
Speaker 2: I mean, anytime you're in baseball for a long time, you're going to have some good years and some bad years.
Speaker 3: And of course when you have a bad year, a lot of times you don't get the opportunity for another year.
Speaker 2: But I thought that we did some really good work in Baltimore, and J. C.
Speaker 3: Meyer just dismissed our work entirely, saying it was a mess. And it really wasn't a mess because the team had a lot of good players that they could use for a foundation to come back and make the playoffs just.
Speaker 2: A couple of years later.
Speaker 3: And I think Mike Mike Elias acknowledged that when he gave us credit for a lot of the players that helped the Ools get back to the playoffs in twenty three or twenty four. But I just didn't like the reporter didn't really do any fact checking, and I just wanted to point out a couple.
Speaker 2: Of facts and that is that we had some good years.
Speaker 3: In Baltimore, and when we did leave, they had the foundation of a decent organization.
Speaker 4: Good for you, Dan, Good for you for firing back on you know, whatever you want to call it, fake news, false reporting, bad report, whatever you want to call it. Good for you on firing back. I have a couple of questions for you. One, you did a great job. Once you got there, the Orioles became relevant again because for years the Orioles were like, Oh, we're going to Baltimore, we're winning at least two out of three, and we're probably gonna sweep them. But once you got there, things change for the Oriols of low So I want to give you credit a ton of credit for that. And then the the other thing is I wonder how handcuffed you were because we've heard for years that the Oriols didn't sign international prospects. And I don't want to bag on the Angelo's family. I know they don't own the team anymore, but how handcuffed were you as the GM as far as international prospects and free agent signings go, Well.
Speaker 3: When you talk about international prospects, you know that, and signing international prospects and good ones.
Speaker 2: That was a core competency of mind.
Speaker 3: And actually the reason the Red Sox hired me is they wanted me to help them develop an international recruiting network like we had in Montreal. So I went to Boston and I did that. In fact, our international did really well.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: We we signed Handley Ramiers, the left handed pitcher we sent to Colorado. He ended up in Colorado. We sent him to Arizona. The Red Sox center for Kurt Shilling. They were from our international. I mean, I always was good on recruiting and sourcing players from international markets. And when I got to the Orioles, one of the biggest disappointments I had was that I couldn't compete. I couldn't convince Pete Angelo. So the value of that to the team. And when you're competing in the American League East against all these other teams, the Red Sox, the Yankees, the Blue Jays, those are all major market teams in Tampa and they're all active in the international market. You have to have some sort of foundation. And I wasn't able to convince mister Angelos to that. His sons, when they started operating the club, they understood that, and the Orioles opened up their international signings much bigger than when I was there, when when Michael Aias got there. But that wasn't that wasn't a choice of mine, you know that that was it. That's a handicap because that's a source of talent. And you look at the players in the big leagues, I think, what about thirty percent some of the stars, maybe even more coming from international markets. And if you're trying to compete without being aggressive in the international markets, you're you're really going into a fight with one hand tied behind your back. But be that as it may, that was the choice of the ownership and I wasn't able to convince them during my time there that we should be aggressive in that regard, and I think the club paid a price for that.
Speaker 2: You know, you've seen the Orioles.
Speaker 3: They got a terrific catcher there in Bassalo, right. He was one of their first signings that they got coming back. But you know, to me, Harry Dalton told me that aggressive scouting builds winning ball clubs, and being aggressive and scouting recruiting on the international market would be, you know, one of the pedestals to support your stool to have a competitive team.
Speaker 5: We talk about it all the time on here about how some owners just get in the way of a GM. Is it because you wanted to keep your job that the owners you know that that gms don't want to get fired. Is there a way to navigate that or how hard you try to navigate that because that was something that you were good at?
Speaker 3: Eric, You know, every every team has its challenges, right, And if you're a top executive, you have to learn to work with all.
Speaker 2: Sorts of people, right.
Speaker 3: You have to learn to learn to work with people alongside of you, people that you supervise, people that you report to, and you know that.
Speaker 2: That's really part of the job.
Speaker 3: Having said that, there are some ownership situations where you know they understand the value of empowering people and letting them, you know, do their job.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So, as an executive, if I know what I'm good at and I go and do that that's my core competency, then I try to find other people that are good at things that I'm not so good at to fill out the team, right.
Speaker 3: And I think I think, uh, you know, every executive has those challenges. Uh, It's just that you know, in baseball, some of those challenges are a little bit more significant, and certainly Baltimore was a significant challenge when it came to dealing with the owners.
Speaker 2: But you know, having.
Speaker 3: Said that, you know we still found a way to have a very highly competitive team and be very good for a period of time. And then, uh, you know, mister Angelos his health situation changed, and then you know that changed the big dynamics around.
Speaker 2: In that franchise.
Speaker 1: Science experiment for the one minute, we had to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes, including watermelon salt, raspberry salt. And I'm holding a citrus salt, just opened it and pour some powder into my water, shake it up, and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 4: I love Quints because after a long night out, a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free, Stevia free, keto approve and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 1: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while we talking about it. It's also made in the USA, rigorously third party tested. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's qui ncee dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 2: Can you delve in a little bit more.
Speaker 5: You went on a record and say that you weren't in favor of the Chris Davis signing when he signed his seven year contract. Can you go through maybe even a little bit of that process, like, hey, yeah, we want to sign him and you're like a bet or not and how that all plays out. Obviously we know he got that large contract.
Speaker 3: Well, Chris got a large contract. The reason he got a large contract is he was a good power hitter. Having said that at the opening press conference at the night we signed him, when they asked me about how the contract came together, I made it very clear that Chris's agent had finished the contract with mister Angelo as the owner of the team, because you know, I had done my own work on.
Speaker 7: The market, and my work on the market found that there wasn't as robust a market anywhere near as close to what the Oriels ended up giving Chris Davis, and as an executive, it was my.
Speaker 2: Duty, if you will, to report that to the owner.
Speaker 3: Now, if the owner wants to decide and go ahead and sign him and give him the money, that's his prerogative.
Speaker 2: I understood that. But when we signed Chris, I made it very.
Speaker 3: Clear that that contract was completed between Pete Angelos and Scott Boris. Now, my good friend Larry Luchino said, well, if you let the agent get to the owner, then you didn't do your job. So the agent got to the owner in that case, and in that case I could have done.
Speaker 2: A better job.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't really a Of course, I supported Chris Davis and his contribution to the team.
Speaker 2: Did I support the values in the contract? No, I didn't. I made that clear.
Speaker 5: I feel like that's a meme waiting to happen in Baltimore, like Scott Boris crossing you up and you've fallen down, and then him just going to the hoop to find Peter Angelos to roll his contract into But I want you to. I want you to conversate about your eight years as the GM of the Oriels, comparing it to michae Elias's eight years success or lack of success, and how those two it's ironic that they're both the same time period or the same amount of time.
Speaker 2: All the time. Yeah, the well, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 3: I can talk about the success we had when I first got there. The biggest challenge when I got there was to build a pitching staff.
Speaker 2: You know, the Orioles for years.
Speaker 3: They thought that if you had sluggers, you could have a competitive team. But lo and behold, we know in the American League, eese, you need all the components of a team, right, and the first thing you need it's a game of defense. And the first line of defense, of course, is on the mid You guys know that as catchers, right, you got to have a good pitching staff.
Speaker 2: So you know, my job when I got there.
Speaker 3: Was to build a pitching staff and then to go out and you know, recruit some depth to the organization. We didn't have a lot of depth in the organization, and we were able to do that. I signed chen we Chen the left hander. When I got there, we signed uh, We traded for Jason Hammel, We got Mike Gonzalez from the Mexican League, and we were able to develop Chris, Chillman and Lo and behold, we had four starters.
Speaker 2: We had a pitching staff, and then you know, we built the bullpen.
Speaker 3: Buck artfully managed the bullpen to secure the leads. And then you know, we had some emerging talent. JJ Hardy had a great year. We had Matt Wieters, Adam Jones emerged as a good player, and then Chris Davis and Manny. They filled out the ball club and we did pretty good. Our our best year was twenty fourteen, and ironically we didn't have Machado, Widers or Davis on those teams for the playoffs. Remember, Manny got hurt, Matt Wieterers got hurt during the season, and Chris Davis got suspended for a temporary use exception violation. So if you remember, Steve Pierce started at first base, and I think Ryan Ryan Flaherty was our third baseman and our catcher was what was his name Nick? His dad was a football coach there. We got it from San Diego, N yeah, Nick Counley. Nick Counley, Nick did a great job managing the pitching staff, working with Dave Wallace and and and that that was as close as we got that that fourteen team. You know, unfortunately, that's the last team that won a playoff game for the for the Orioles, and.
Speaker 2: We didn't We didn't win any playoff games any Alcyes.
Speaker 3: We advanced in Kansas City, beat US the first game at home, and we ended up getting getting swept and I think, you know, Oriols fans are frustrated by that. We made the playoffs again in sixteen, but we got we got eliminated there and then you know, after that we had some issues with the organization was in transition, but we had five good years where the team had I think just about the best record in the American League. We had good leadership from Buck, Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, those guys.
Speaker 2: We were well received in the community, and.
Speaker 3: I think the frustration of the Oriole fans is that, you know, the Earls got back to the playoffs I think in twenty three and twenty four, and they expected that that would continue, and you know, that's not the way it goes in the American League.
Speaker 2: He's a tough, tough place to do business.
Speaker 5: Then I got clean one thing up. The Royals. We were an incredible team. Even though I didn't play. I was on the team and I got to watch. But I think leaders play in the series. But I remember thinking Chris Davis not playing because he took out of all the therapeutic use in whatever the thing that the twenty five game suspension, I thought Chris Davis not being in that lineup was the biggest hurt for you guys because you just didn't have that one dude.
Speaker 8: That was like, oh ah, well, you know, I agree with you, because at the time it happened, I thought, you know, this is this is going to really hurt us because here's a left handed power hitter.
Speaker 2: He's a significant power threat. And you know that Kansas.
Speaker 3: City Ballpark that plays pretty big that ballpark, and I knew that if we didn't have the left handed power threat in the lineup with Chris.
Speaker 2: That that was going to be that was going to be an issue for us.
Speaker 3: So you know, it's interesting that you said that because at the time it happened, I thought, you know, all the things that could happen to us down the stretch.
Speaker 2: This is going to be a blow that's going to be hard to overcome.
Speaker 4: Dan, How long should a GM have? How long should a DM president of baseball?
Speaker 6: Half?
Speaker 4: Because you you said eight years? Michael Lias is on his eighth year, right, they haven't won a playoff game. There's some gems that last short, and there's some gems that last long. So what should be the time? And I always joke on here, Oh, every GM says give me five more years, because I got to get a new wave of players, right.
Speaker 2: Oh those were my players.
Speaker 4: Now I get five years with my players, right. So what's it? What's a good timetable for a GM to have success and get to the point that you were just were talking about.
Speaker 3: How about how about these guys that come into these jobs and they tear it down, They say, we gotta we got to get a rebuild, right, and the yeah, they they go through the rebuild and then they said, oh, we got we got to get another rebuild. My my mentor was Harry Dalton, and he told me, he said, if you can't get it done in seven years, you got to start looking for another opportunity. A guy named Lee Cluck just wrote a biography on Harry Dalton and it's called Leave while the Party's Good.
Speaker 2: And Harry left Baltimore when when they were winning Penance Right and and winning World Reason. He went on to California and then he was there for about seven years. Then he went on somewhere else. And in my career, I was seven years in Milwaukee. I started out with the Brewers. I went to Montreal. I was seven years in Montreal. I went to Boston. I was there for a little more than seven years, and I went to Baltimore and I was there for seven years. So I'm kind of on the seven year thing.
Speaker 3: If you can, if you can get it done and win a pennant, you should be able to go on to a tenure, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean very few guys do what Brian Cash has been able to do.
Speaker 3: It's actually remarkable to stay with one club for as long as he as he has and to have a competitive team every single year. That's the gold standard and that's what we should all aspire to, I believe as executives.
Speaker 2: But it doesn't always happen that way.
Speaker 1: This is that time of year, aj it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is geeks time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on sea geek.
Speaker 4: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees clubs coming up. Where's Yankees red sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up. Go to cke can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best. Look. Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 5: Trade deadline just ended and teams to kind of didn't quite go all in. As a former GM, do you look at it and go man like If you don't go all in who cares or do you now look at it in a different way of like, well, you know why you keep your job and you don't get fired.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm you know, I'm still I'm still of the mind I'm kind of like George Allen was when he was in the NFL. Right, George Allen says, you go, go go, And George would commit to veteran players to try to have as good a team or as competitive a team as.
Speaker 2: He wants as he could have every single year.
Speaker 3: So I'm more of that mindset, and I have a lot of respect for the guys that give up the prospects when they have an opportunity. You know, Brian Savian said, you know this is my reason to be around the trade deadline, right. You know Dave don Browski, he'll do whatever it takes to get his team in a position. Now, when you do that and you're more aggressive, I think you're showing some leadership. You're also opening yourself up to criticism right in that you could give up a player that you know could go on and be very good, and that would count against your track record. But you know, given that the playoffs are there and there's more teams, there's more opportunity. To me, I think you should get after it now. You know, are there's some teams that are not as strong as others. Yeah, but look what Texas did a couple of years ago, right, they got into the tournament on the wild card and they they rode the experience of Bruce Bochi and the way he handle his pitchers in the series and they ran the table.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I think the Red Sox got in got in the playoffs one year as a wildcard team and they were in the table. So, you know, if you can add to your team and your team gels.
Speaker 2: And you got the depth, then your guys are healthy. You got some.
Speaker 3: Starting pitching that's pretty good. You know that second season is a second season. And if you got you know, some really good pitchers, you know, I think you owe it to your fans and your team and your ownership to get after it, you know. I mean you got to use common sense too, Like like the Red Sox. Look at how they turned their season around. I mean, just extraordinary work there. Chad Tracy looks like he's a natural manager. Turned that team around.
Speaker 2: But look how quickly they turned their team around.
Speaker 3: They had good defense, they had good pitching and then they started to hit the ball right, they got some offensive contribution, and you know, they turned their team around. It matter three weeks. So, I mean, we've all seen it. Right, maybe it's an anomaly. But if you get a hot team and you get turned around, baseball is baseball.
Speaker 2: You can beat anybody. No.
Speaker 3: You know, Oakland beat the Red Sox twice over the weekend, right, nobody expected that that.
Speaker 2: That's one of the lower echelon teams in the league. And they go into.
Speaker 3: Boston they beat the Red Sox couple of games. But you know, I don't know. I guess I'm an old school guy. I think you should get after. I think that's what the fans really want you to do.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what players really want too.
Speaker 5: But do you think gms are don't believe in their team and that's why they don't push all in or are they afraid of the criticism that you had mentioned.
Speaker 3: I think it's I think it's bold, Eric, But I also think that you know, you can calibrate the risk, right, like, what are your odds of getting into the playoffs?
Speaker 2: What are your chances of advancing?
Speaker 3: You know, and you can you can mitigate some of those risks in the moves that you make, and by having as much depth and as good as a top instructional staff to get the most out of your talent. But I also think you got to look at it realistically and if if you have some holes in your lineup or your roster construction, I think you've got to do everything in your power.
Speaker 2: To address those, right.
Speaker 3: You know, that shortstop with the with the Marlins, right, he's one of the best hitters in the league.
Speaker 2: They picked him up on a waiver plane.
Speaker 3: They got him on a waiver plane from another major league team.
Speaker 2: What's his name, Lopez? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And that that that kids, he's one of the best players in the league and they got him for whatever the waiver price is.
Speaker 2: You know, so I think you know you have to try, You got to push.
Speaker 3: This is the big leagues, and you have to have a certain standard, right for your team and for your big leagues because your fans have certain standards for the performance of your team.
Speaker 2: You hear it every single day, and I think you got to do everything when you're.
Speaker 3: In a leadership position you can to fulfill those expectations of the fans, right, And.
Speaker 2: You know, the guys down in your dugout, in your clubhouse.
Speaker 3: Those guys are grinding it out every single day, and you bring up a good point, Eric, that's what the players want. I mean, who's in this just to get a paycheck? Brett met very few people that are in baseball just to get a paycheck.
Speaker 2: Right, You have to go to work. You have to grind it out every day.
Speaker 3: You have to compete, you have to get yourself ready, you have to get your rest, I mean the whole You have to make all these sacrifices with your family.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's tough, but you know, I think at the end, you.
Speaker 3: Know, if you're in the front office, you owe it to your fans and to the people there, and to the owners and to yourself to just get after it.
Speaker 2: When you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Andrew Miller, Nelson, Cruz, some of those big acquisitions that you guys made at the time. I just really thought it resonated at the top of the note that you sent into the Sun about Hey, team was terrible for a long time. You could have done the scrap it all down five year rebuild instead. A fast forward A year later, twenty twelve, the team starts making the playoffs and goes on that run. So this was helpful. Dan, I really enjoyed the conversation. Thanks for sharing all of that with us, because, hey, it sounds like it was yesterday, but a lot of people forget that the Oriels had some nice little playoff runs in there. I remember covering them. So thanks for the time. Great to see you again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good to see you guys again. I appreciate it's good to talked to you. And you know that catchers the tools of ignorance. That's a miss snomer guys. You know that right.
Speaker 1: That's why we have two of them on here almost every day.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. Thanks Dan, talk to you.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot, guys, I appreciate it.