Speaker 1: Tis League record bring.
Speaker 2: We will see you to.
Speaker 3: The Gunner Welcome hang out, Welcome to the Just Baseball Show. It is Wednesday, July eighth. That's arm Lighton. I am Peter Rapple and today an absolutely loaded show. Unfortunately, Justin Berlander is retiring at the end of this season, so we are going to you know, talk about his career, how it has been and also he was just named the Legend pick the American League All Star Team. We're also going to talk about.
Speaker 4: Tyler Tolbert and his twelve plate appearance hit streak, what tying an MLB record, and the Royals offensive outburst Ryan O'Hearn three homers, ten RBIs yesterday.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk Zach Wheeler's dominance and our first look at Brewers player Luis Laura. And we're going to end it with Mock Draft three point zero with our draft guy, Tyler Jennings. And it is all brought to you by bet MGM. Time to pick them. Throughout the World's Game, you can predict what will happen each day for a chance to win bonus bets go for a share of ten thousand dollars each day of the World's Game. For each day of the tournament, you can predict what will happen. If your total is the highest, you'll win a share of bonus bets. How to get this offer in three easy steps, So go to bet MGM and enter the World's Game two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Pick them free to play game. Answer questions each day of the tournament to make predictions on what will happen, and if you get the most picks right that day, you'll win a share of bonus bets. Remember to use code just Baseball before you make your first pick, because if it loses, you'll get whatever you wagered on it back in bonus bets. Arm We started off the day with some unfortunate news, but when a guy of that caliber retires, it's not really unfortunate because of course he's getting to the end of his career and we get to look back on the unbelievable career of Justin Verlander. I remember, on I think it was our last mail bag, Jack answered the question of something that he would change from the twenty twenties decade, and it was a fully healthy Justin Verlander. And at first I was like, ah, but then you realize he was banged up for a lot of this decade and could have been on pace to rack up four thousand innings plus four thousand strikeouts plus incredible career already, but what could have been I am still thinking about that answer from Jack.
Speaker 2: It's funny though, because at the same time, like he's been forty years old since twenty twenty three, so like his body is doing what most people's body us. I think the craziest part about that, though, is in twenty twenty two, at thirty nine years old, we see Justin Verlander come out and give you a one to seven five ERA in one hundred and seventy five innings, And when I think one of the more like I don't want to say improbable signs because this is one of the best to ever do it, but just one of those side youngs that you're like, no way, he still got that in the tank. And that was after missing the entire season in twenty twenty one and only throwing six innings in twenty twenty so you just never thought this would was gonna come out. So you say, okay, well he just missed a season and a half. It's technically two seasons. But he was only going to rack up so many numbers in twenty twenty because of the shortened season. That's already a good amount of time missed. He comes back and does this, You're like, WHOA, this might be like a Nolan Ryan thing. He's just gonna he might just throw into his forties and keep having success. Even in twenty three he still saw like a really serviceable season overall. But I think once once he got to twenty twenty four and forty one years old, you just tell you really started to feel it there. So I do just wonder though, like if we had with how good he was in twenty twenty two, what would have a full twenty twenty one season have looked like, Because and he won the cy Young the next year, So I do think about that from like getting closer to three hundred wins any of those things, But I still think he probably would have been a little bit short.
Speaker 5: At the end of the day.
Speaker 2: He's just been human since he turned forty and and that's been I think the part that's it's funny with him because he's just so much of his career has just not been human. I remember watching the old Sports Center highlights and they're doing the game recaps and it was you know, in the early I would say, before even the twenty ten, two thousand and seven, two thousand and two thousand and nine, and when a guy would throw one hundred, it would have like the.
Speaker 5: On on the TV.
Speaker 2: It would have like the fire almost like emoji wouldn't be the word because emojis weren't even didn't exist, I guess really, but like you have the fire icon there with one hundred, and it would be like in the recaps on Sports Center, he's still touching one hundred in the seventh inning, and it was like it was like, holy crap, this guy is different and back then throwing two forty two hundred and fifty innings, like.
Speaker 5: It really is amazing. This is a guy that, you.
Speaker 2: Know, still throwing the ball technically you know today is a guy that has been around long enough and his pitch is such a high level too to have had those.
Speaker 5: Two hundred and fifty inning seasons.
Speaker 2: Like he's kind of the last of not really a dying breed, like a dead breed at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we call it a dying breed. I mean it is dead. I mean this type of picture just likely will never see again. You won an MVP one Rookie of the Year. He's a nine time All Star, three time Cy Young Award winner, Triple Crown winner, two time World Series Champion. My question to you is not is he a Hall of Famer? Do you think he's an easy first ballot Hall of favor because in my opinion, I don't know anybody who wouldn't vote for him. So my thought is he should be unanimous. But there are been plenty of incredible players who worn't unanimous. We only have one and his name is Marianna Rivera, so he's probably not going to be unanimous. So I guess my question, and it might be the easiest softball ever thrown. Is is he a first ballot easy Hall of Famer?
Speaker 2: Then yeah, I think the question more becomes then like how how high of a percentage is this that IM going to bring in? And this is where it's so funny, like when nine in change years from now, when I can vote on the Hall of Fame, Like I have a lot of time to figure this out. But the unanimous thing is so weird. I mean, we've talked about this. I'm like, if you're an obvious Hall of Famer. Everyone should vote for the obvious hal of Famer, and if that guy is that's everybody's vote, then he's unanimous.
Speaker 5: And I know it's not fair to the.
Speaker 2: People before him because of this weird, uh just just kind of decision making process that we just kind of created here. I think there should be more unanimous guys, because if you I don't know how we're gonna like to plan this out, it's like, oh, you're you're gonna be the guy that doesn't vote for Verlander this year, so we'll have like two or three so he's not unanimous. Like what if like five other people think that they're the guy that year and now he has like ninety six percent of the vote and stead and she should have more than that.
Speaker 5: So like, but you go back and there's been guys historically they're like, how the hell is it? Like how did he not have one hundred percent of the vote. There's like thirty forty fifty guys.
Speaker 2: You could say that about we should fix that, Uh, but no, I think he should be frankly unanimous. Like what's the nitpick here? Like that he didn't win three hundred games. That's never gonna happen again. Never So I'm not voting for him, no one, No one's gonna even get close to two seventy.
Speaker 5: He's a two sixty six.
Speaker 2: Let's hope that he wins a few more games down the stretch here if he gets a two seventy. You mentioned the MVP and whether you think a Pitcher should win it or that one.
Speaker 5: I don't. I don't care he won it. The three s youngs.
Speaker 2: The fact that he has won his cy Young's in totally different parts of his career too, right, Like one is in his prime, the is like what you would think is.
Speaker 5: Like the very end of the prime.
Speaker 2: No way, he wins another, and then the other one is like back from the dead, I still got it, and.
Speaker 3: He wins it. There.
Speaker 2: So that on top of the one, two, three, three runner up finishes, which you could play hairs on on so many cy Young Awards where it's like probably should have won one or two of those, and then another couple top three finishes, won the Rookie of the Year as well. I mean, this is one of the more decorated careers you're gonna see from Pitcher. He's had the peaks, he's had the longevity, he's had the postseason performance, he's done it all, and then he's even done the stuff that very I few ever have to win the MVP. He's done the two hundred and fifty innings, like everything that you would reasonably want to see from this guy, he's done it. He's done another two hundred and twenty six innings in the postseason. It's it's just amazing stuff. So yeah, you can maybe nitpick if I so, just know someone's gonna be like, he had a five six three e AL in the World Series, what average is whatever? You may nine starts in the World Series and he's won a couple of them.
Speaker 5: Just an amazing career and one of the best to ever do it.
Speaker 3: The one seven to five ERA is at thirty nine years old, is it almost doesn't compute in my head because I'm thinking about right now with Jacob Zarowski rocking a one six to two ERA. He gave up three earned runs to the Cardinals yesterday and I thought that was a terrible start by him. He only struck out nine over six innings, raising again his ERA to one six to two. Verlander did that over one hundred and seventy five innings at thirty nine years old. Incredible. What's almost equally is incredible is this Tyler Tolbert hitch twelve straight plate appearances with a hit. What and this comes to us from Sarah Langs. Tyler Tolbert has a hit in twelve consecutive plate appearance that ties the MLB record consecutive hits in at bats twelve by Johnny Kling in nineteen oh two, Pinky Higgins in ninete teen thirty eight, Walt Dropoh in nineteen fifty two, and Jose Miranda in twenty twenty four. I swear on them. I think Sarah just made up the first three names. Johnny Kling, Walt Driplow, Piggy Higgins. Those seems like names you would make up in MLB the Show just in order to be funny. But Tyler Tolbert did it. Now. There were some infield hits there. His tenth in particular was to Bobashett, and I feel like Bobachet could have made the play, but that's baseball for you. There was a couple of home runs sprinkled in, as you could see from the YouTube compilation that podcast p put up.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 3: There was even one off a position. Sometimes you need a little bit of luck to get a hit in twelve straight plan appearances. And I also want to talk about the royals recent offensive outburst, but of course it's led by Tolbert with twelve straight hits.
Speaker 5: So why the sport's amazing.
Speaker 2: Also, like Jose Miranda, like battling, you know, to find opportunities.
Speaker 5: Now, Tolbert has has a six, had a six.
Speaker 2: Fifty two ops in twenty games in Triple A this year, and in thirty two games now at the big league level, he's slashing three ninety six, four thirty four, five forty two. Yeah, like you said, a lot of good fortune in that stretch. But that's what makes us sport so fun is there's so many different ways that you can reach the record books, and anybody can technically you get into the record books there, right, Like that's the fun part about it is you never know who's gonna go on some crazy stretch with some positive fortune, some just of being on a heater and some other things in between, and you just never know what you're gonna see at the ballfield, And I think that makes it so so so much fun. I mean, this guy's barely played Tilbert at the big league level and and just to have this stretches is really remarkable.
Speaker 5: And speedy guys that put the ball in play, Like sometimes you can just have these really cool uh, these cool.
Speaker 2: Heaters and yeah, I mean it helps when you're playing the Mets, I will say, And that's definitely part of it. But it's just been cool to see another guy in the record books with a bunch of names. You know, it's a cool record when all the other names are like the made up you know, Walt Dropo, whatever, and he just.
Speaker 5: Joins this group of guys you've never heard of in your life.
Speaker 2: So in his career entering July, Tolbert had twenty one hits in twenty eight stolen bas He's had more hits than stolen bases. What the way, speed up guy, speed guy for you, but ends up getting some AB's here.
Speaker 5: This is like their Jiraw Dyson.
Speaker 2: But now they're letting him swing it a little bit and it just goes on this unbelievable stretch that's incredible.
Speaker 3: And what's also been incredible is this Royal's recent out offensive outburst because it's not just Tolbert. The Royals have scored thirty one runs in their past two games. Yes, do the math, that's fifteen and a half runs per game. They put up ten earned on Christopher Sanchez, and yes they beat up the Mets, but they did it again Sanchez too. So this is just the hottest offensive baseball over the last two games. But the reason we're bringing it up is thirty one runs in two games. I don't care who's on the mound. I really don't care. Code I Sega hasn't been that bad. I know, he hasn't been that great this bad, I don't think. So. It's been really cool to see. It's why we love baseballs, that anything can happen on any given day, and a team like the Royals, who came in as one of the worst offenses in Major League Baseball, in a two game stretch where one of those he's facing, Christopher Sanchez, who's second in Cy Young odds on BETEBGM, puts up a ted spot. I think it's awesome.
Speaker 5: It's great.
Speaker 2: And again the fact that it's somebody that entered the month with more stolen bases than hits in his career, like that's the least likely candidate possible. It's a guy that's literally there for his legs doing it with the bat for a little bit.
Speaker 3: Do you think that the Royals could actually because we see the Tigers they've clawed back Royals, what do you think.
Speaker 5: I just I don't see how.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's nice to see them just like sparking it a little bit, but they're sixteen games under.
Speaker 5: I just I think it's gonna be too hard for them. I mean, they're young.
Speaker 2: You never know, but I just think also with that bullpen too, and the way that opens trending, I mean, they could have blown a couple of those.
Speaker 5: Games with the Mets. It's just they kept scoring. I just it seems tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've seen all those Mets stats online about them scoring a certain amount of runs at home and never losing with that, and you add that on to a season like this. It's just been they spent three hundred and fifty million dollars on this payroll arm and they're setting records in the bad way.
Speaker 2: The broadcast booth is awesome, though you had like you had Keith Hernandez having like like an existential crisis while they're giving up sixteen runs, talking about the end of his bloodline. It was just it's it's the best booth. And look, I think when the Mets are in these stretches, you gotta switch over to the Mets broadcast booth, not to do like the Eric Cartman, like you know, just drink the tears thing, like just because they it turns.
Speaker 5: Into a podcast and you never know where it's gonna go.
Speaker 2: And like got it was off the Rails the other day and I was it was just really fun to listen to.
Speaker 3: They are pretty close to MLB's version of TNT with Shaq and Chuck.
Speaker 2: And well, I may they start pushing the limits more and more when the games get real ugly, but yeah, it's it's really fun to listen to.
Speaker 3: It's funny. They're probably the only booth and Major League Baseball that sees their numbers go up when they're losing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeaheah, because I'm tuning.
Speaker 3: In another unbelievable performance Ryan O'Hearn yesterday of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Three homers is one thing in its own right. Ten RBIs. It is more rare to have a game with a hitter having ten RBIs than it is to throw a perfect game. There have been twenty four perfect games in the history of baseball, only seventeen times as a player recorded ten RBIs Paul skin even said afterwards is the best performance he's seen as a member of the Pirates. And this tweet comes to us from our Guy podcast. P Ryan o'harton last night became the first player to drive in each of his team's first ten runs in a game in MLB history. And we just brought up on the latest show, Jack and I we were talking about what the Pirates are going to do after the Connor Griffin injury. Because it's not just this. It sucks with KG hitting the shelf. It's not just him. O'Neil Cruz is still on the IL. Spencer Horwitz is still on the il. How is this Pirate's offense going to stay afloat? Well, here's answer number one. Loudly, Ryan o'hurt says, get on my back.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The eyes well, and I mean they still have the firepower to whether the storm a little bit here.
Speaker 5: I mean, when you.
Speaker 2: Look at what Brandon Lau has been able to do for them this year, when you look at what Brian Reynolds has been able to do for you this year.
Speaker 5: If Ryan O'Hearn.
Speaker 2: I know that game brought his ops up to an eight fifty, but if he's playing like that, it seems like the complimentary guys are doing their job for the most part. That's where now it swings back over though Paul skeens, you got to go be that ace again, you know, and and Brax and Ashcraft keep doing what you're doing. I think it really is the other three. Jared Jones deserves more grace because he's coming back from from elbow surgery, so like he's settling back in, Like Mitch Keller bro like, you can't be a five e r A uh bubba Chandler. You've had ample time. Now it's it's time to start seeing seeing it click at the big league level for this team.
Speaker 5: And then look, I think that.
Speaker 2: No matter what, they got to go out and get bullpen help and just hope the lineup gets healthy and hope that the starting pitching does what it what it should do, because every guy, like at Leverage is their era, starts with a four. The Connor Griffin thing sucks is you and I Before the episode that Jack, you and Jack talked about it, we're saying Connor Griffin changes this team changes the lineup, change the defense, changes everything. But they're gonna have to figure it out without him. I think just seeing him when he was back and seeing what he could do for them is enough to say, Okay, well in eight to ten weeks, we'll have him at the very end of the season and if we're in it, like that's the sprint through the finish line and see how it goes. But I think this team has shown enough through the adversity that they should be added to right, Like I'm not saying that the Pirate should be mortgaging in the future like crazy, but I think this team, through the injuries, through the inconsistencies, through Paul Skein's worst stretches a big leiguer have been able to weather the storm. And then you're getting these pop performances from Ryan O'Hearn, Like you're getting O'Hearn doing this. Who knows Brian Reynolds could put you on his back, Branda Laule could put you on his back the way Nick and Zalez has been swinging.
Speaker 5: I think there's enough going on as Maerlean Valdez.
Speaker 2: I agree Biggie in the comments, like has done enough when he's been up here.
Speaker 5: It's like that guy could be a spark.
Speaker 2: I think this team is showing you enough life. If you're you know, sitting and look at the front office here and you're trying to make a decision, say hey, we we should add you know, to the bullpen, and we should try to push this team a little bit further.
Speaker 3: Jack said, because of these injuries, they might be early buyers, Like they might be one of the first teams to make a move. Right We've already seen the Cardians make a move with Patrick Bailey. We don't expect you to be that soon, clearly because we're now past that, but definitely before the August third trade deadline. And I think I agree with them, Like I think the Pirates are gonna start to get after it because of the position they're now in with kg O'Neil, Cruz and Horwitz on the ail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think they should start using Carmen Maginsky in like higher leverage.
Speaker 5: It's all your other higher leverage arms.
Speaker 3: Still no take Skins out of the rotation and put in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, getting back in the Schien's a closer Magensky back in the rotation that belongs. But now it's going to be interesting. I think getting Horwitz back and Cruise back is going to.
Speaker 5: Help a lot.
Speaker 2: And then you just you just count the days down until you get Connor Griffin and hope that you're in a decent position. But I think this team has shown enough and performances like this from O'Hearn is enough to say, hey, this team needs needs to buy despite the adversity.
Speaker 3: Before we move on, let's hear what Paul Skeins had to say about Ryan O'Hearn's historic three homer Gameways.
Speaker 6: Like to see that performance from Riot, I mean, I think it was kind of selfish, to be honest.
Speaker 3: Everybody else was getting on and.
Speaker 5: You know, home runs are rally killers.
Speaker 6: H you had a three run home run or a Grand Slam, and it's just like what now, you know there's nobody on, nobody, nobody can drive him in, So.
Speaker 5: You know, good for him, I guess.
Speaker 3: But uh, no, selfish, totally selfish for Rhino, hard to clear the basis for everybody else. No, we went on to say again in that interview, was the greatest performance he's ever seen. He's obviously being sarcastic and another reason why why I wanted to bring that clip up, not only because I find it hilarious and I love schemes the sense of humor, but there were real people online trash scenes and being like, how could you say that?
Speaker 5: I hope, Yeah, we.
Speaker 3: Rub more than one brain cell together. Please please please, I mean that all missed comments section I've seen in a long time. And when we're talking about the internet here, yeah.
Speaker 5: I know, it's even low for the Internet.
Speaker 2: The fun thing with with Skeens is like seeing his because people always talk about, oh, like there's not much personality there, is he going to not be that marketable star. Seeing his is like comedic side just kind of blossom as he's gotten more comfortable in the big leagues and more comfortable with the media. Has been really cool because we always talked about it just feels like MLB gets a star and they're just not marketable at all. I think people sleep on the personality that Skeens brings to the table, and like seeing some of the commercials and stuff that he's doing. It's very deadpan humor, but it's it is great and again I think he's he's a really good leader and kind of potential face for the league to be able to have fun like that.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with you. So we still got to talk about Zach Wheeler and how credible he is in his performance yesterday, as well as our first look at Luis Lara and then Mock Draft three point zero with Tyler Jennings. But before that podcast, p can we hear from our friends at Hampton Farms Peanuts.
Speaker 2: Just Baseball's number one ranked peanut prospect is none other than the Hampton Farms in shell peanut hit tool plus plus that crack of the shell is elite power easy plus seven grams of protein per serving makeup great source of fiber in America's number one in shell brand. This is a five tool snack future value eighty grade. Get the top peanut prospect in the produce aisle or twenty five percent off at Hamptonfarms dot com with code just Baseball. That's one word, just Baseball for twenty five percent off at Hamptonfarms dot Com.
Speaker 3: Polished off a few of those honey roasted peanuts this morning. They're just so damn good. I gotta be careful, dude, because they I could just fly through those bags. All right, let's look at Zach Wheeler Zahel yesterday, seven innings, fourteen punch outs, one run aloud, four hits, no walks, sees any rays down to two to two eight. And remember it's hot in the middle of summer at Great American Ballpark, where the ball is flying. Absolutely not. Wheeler was masterful. You're seeing these hot this highlight montage and another reason why I love Wheeler so much. It's not just the postseason pedigree. It's not the electric stuff. It's the command of the strike zone. Because when you watch J two rul Muto's glove, when he sets up, he doesn't move an inch. Zach Wheeler throws electric stuff wherever he wants, whenever he wants, with any pitch that he wants to go to. And he was pissed. He was pissed after Yeah, at least it was about the All Stars.
Speaker 5: I think heissed before he pitched, pissed before.
Speaker 3: We hear from Zach Wheeler because I want to. I want to hear from his mouth what he thinks about getting stumbed from the All Star Game, or what do you think about this performance?
Speaker 2: I think you saw how angry and kind of like how much he wanted to prove in this outing that he's an All Star and that he should be in that game.
Speaker 5: And I think that was the big part is and I.
Speaker 2: Think this is this was like a microcosm of why Zach Wheeler is so good in the playoffs. Adrenaline does not affect his command where he has the adrenaline just injected into him from the postseason or in this case, being angry and.
Speaker 5: Prepared to prove to everybody that he deserved to be.
Speaker 2: An All Star, like he stepped on that mound, he told the rubber, more angry than usual, more fired up than usual, and he can just harness that and use it for good, where some guys will start to get a radic and starts to spray a little bit and lose the command. And I think it's the same reason why he is so good in the playoffs is that guy uses adrenaline is still able to lock that in and focus and just execute and across his whole arsenal. He was executing everything from the four seamer, this weeper, the splitter, the sinker, even sprinkling in the cutter and curveball. The feel that he has to pitch when he's angry or fired up is just incredible.
Speaker 3: He is one of six pitchers with an ERA below two four in over at least eighty innings, and he said two two eight and only Jacob Izarowski is a lower win Remember when he had a thoracic outlet syndrome and we weren't sure what he was going to look like when he came back, and now he's looking arguably better than ever. I really do think because I remember when we did our National League East predictions at the beginning of the season, and I picked the Phillies to win the division, and it was a belief that Zach Wheeler was going to return to relative for even I didn't think so, and I think the debate was and I think you and Jack both agree with this. If Wheeler did return to peak Wheeler, yes, I could see the Phillies winning. It's just improbable because he is such an X factor for this Phillies. Right, you go, Sanchez Wheeler, Lizardo, dear God, you go Sanchez Lozardo Nola not as sexy, a lot worse, And that could be the difference between the Phillies winning the division and not. And not only were we seeing Zach Wheeler return to eighty percent, like I kind of thought he would. We're seeing him return to peak Wheeler. I mean, we're just talking about Verlander putting up that one one seven five era when he was thirty nine years old. Wheeler is in quite thirty nine. But it just speaks to the greatness of Zach Wheeler that he just continues to do it at the highest level. And I totally understand why he's upset that he's not an All Star. I think the innings are probably getting in the way. Right he did start the year hurt, and the National League starting pitching staff is freaking loaded. I mean, we didn't even mention a guy like Kyle Harrison yesterday who's having an unbelievable season. And then I responded in our discord and I said, well, who are you taking off? Because one thing to be a snub and that's what annoys me. And I said this yesterday about All Star snub discourse. I see people just listing names that are awesome and saying they should be Ulstars. Well, then do the extra step and take somebody off. Yeah, so even still are them. I'm looking at the All Star pitchers in the National League and I say, okay, we could take off Skeens for them. That's where we're at, right because outside of Logan Web who I already took off yesterday for Brax and Ashcraft, who's been a top ten pitcher in baseball period by f war, then next you'd take off Skeens. So I guess take off Skeens for Wheeler if you feel like that.
Speaker 2: And that's the hard part because I don't know that Wheelwer's numbers were still better. But if you take Skeens's numbers through eighty eight, Inx pitched, which is right where Wheeler's at, Skeen's had a two eight sixty, alright, So it starts to close the gap a lot more. And that's the tough part, is like I think Wheeler deserves to be in there, but it is when we're working with a half of a season, twenty innings matters a lot, and that's the difficult part. And in some instances, like it's it's more than twenty innings, it's like thirty saniel contrasts to one hundred and twenty three innings this year, so like it's it's forty innings almost between between them two. But you know you've got thirty pitchers I think, or more than that excuse, we have thirty seven pitchers, not all of them All Stars obviously, but thirty seven pitchers that have thrown one hundred innings this year already.
Speaker 5: So that's the push and pull with it.
Speaker 2: But I think Wheeler has been so dominant, and I think the only reason that wheel are and one of the main reasons why Wheelers being so vocal about this is that it's in Philly, right and and he deserves to be recognized there. He's only going to maybe pitch what one more year after this. He's overcome so much he deserves to be there. And I think the most frustrating part for him is that, you know, usually the way that they'll rectify the free agent like Injustice or excuse me, the All Star Injustice, is that guys go down and then you put in, you know, you late addition, the guy that you know should have been in there. But because it won't line up with Wheeler being available to pitch, the league doesn't view him as a guy that is eligible to be added into the All Star Game, even just his recognition, and that seems to be where his frustration lies.
Speaker 3: Right like Hazu's Zarto. I think that's a great point. Lizardo was just added, and who's had a better season? Hasus Zardo or Zach Wheeler? I mean, but Lizardo lines up and he's had a good year in his own right. So it is it really does suck because while I think I can make an argument that based on just these season numbers, maybe he would be slightly on the outside looking in, I could also understand his frustration with that point about it being in Philly, where he's at in his career and how damn good he's been. And again this start capitalized it and we heard from Zach Wheeler after the game podcast p Let's hear what Wheeler has to say about getting Snubb from the All Star Game.
Speaker 7: Now, I feel like that's kind of a reminder, you know, for whoever needs to be reminded. So you know, it's it, uh pisses me off, and you know it's it's kind of bs. So you know, if maybe if I wasn't necessarily right in there, I wouldn't be saying this. But I feel like I've earned it. And just because I pitch on a certain day doesn't I mean that I get you know, I don't even know the right word. But just because I pitch on a certain day, you know, I can't pitch an All Star Game or even be there.
Speaker 2: Nothing he said there I disagree with well, and he was saying to it kind of lines up with this bullpen. So there's like a league rule that if you throw within a certain amount of days, like you throw in a game within a certain amount of days of the All Star Game, that even if you said I'm good to go, they won't let you throw.
Speaker 5: And he's like, it lines up with my bullpen.
Speaker 2: I can throw in any I'm fine throwing an inning and just just going and having fun out there, and the league won't even allow that. So that's where it's really interesting. There's definitely more, maybe there's more nuance to it that I'm not aware of, but I think Wheelers probably well informed on the topic and talk to his agent whatever. And it's Quily still frustrated for good reason. And of pictures with at least eighty innings thrown this year, he's six in the r right. He trails only Chris saile At, Hardo Rodriguez, Cam Switzler, Shohatani and Jacob Mesrowski. So I get it, you know, and and I think it's it's it's a tough situation for him get out. I think if it wasn't in Philly, I think you'd have some frustration, but I think not to this degree.
Speaker 5: And and he has every right to feel that way.
Speaker 2: And what I don't get is, like when when we had a snub or when someone had to be replaced, why not we have this Legends nomination right that we always do, which I get it, like I don't hate it, But if you can do like the Legends nomination for Justin Verlander, why can't you when somebody gets hurt just say.
Speaker 5: Hey, Wheelers would have been the replacement. But since he can't throw that day, he is not going to know.
Speaker 2: He'll be like an honorary replacement. And then we're gonna go to Lizardo, and Lizardo is going to actually take the role. So yes, you have two more All Stars being named. Who cares you're throwing All Stars to honorary legends? Like if it's someone that specifically fits the criteria, and maybe it's a slippery slope because then you're like you could start doing that with a bunch of people.
Speaker 5: But it's really only a pitcher issue anyways.
Speaker 2: So I think if there was a clearcut guy that was the obvious replacement, you should give him like the honorary All Star like non and then have another replacement behind him, Because I just don't see why we care about you know, how many All Stars we have when we're doing this, you know, Legends aspect as well.
Speaker 3: I wonder if them naming Bryce Harper another Philly as the Legends pick through wrench in there where it's like, we already gave it to Harper, Are we going to give another one of these picks to a different Philly? And I get that in theory, But at the same time, Bryce Harper deserves to be an All Star this year Justin Verlander was a Legends pick, clearly doesn't. Harper's got a nine hundred ops. He's been awesome. I think he's been better than Matt Olson this year. Yeah, right, or at least on par So, I don't think they have to look at it as, oh, we gave Harper the nod. You gave Harper the nod because he deserved it. You could still give the Legends pick to Zack Wheeler, who also deserves it. Yeah, right, because I think, you know, I talk about All Star discourse and I what annoys me when you don't pull off his number whatever. But I can also understand when a guy just simply deserves it, and Zach Wheeler simply deserves it. And I do think that he has an argument over Paul Skeens, who will be at the ULCER game, and we can't understand the innings thing. And I still would give it to Skeens, But can I hear the argument? Yes, which means they got to find a way to get him in.
Speaker 2: Well, what I would saying they pick and choose when I kind of rewrite the rules, and like, this is a great time to rewrite the rules.
Speaker 5: Get Wheeler in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't pretend like you're following your own rules. You make a new one every year, So now we got to follow the game. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: Maybe I wasn't well informed when they first did the Legends thing.
Speaker 5: I was like, that's a thing I didn't I didn't even know that was a thing. They said, oh, legends pick like here, Miguel.
Speaker 2: Cabrera or whoever it was. I was like, okay, they started with Jeter. Like there's just times where I was like, I don't know. I just I didn't whatever the first time was, I had no idea it existed.
Speaker 3: I swear they put in new rules for the All Star Game or the Home Run Derby or just Major League Baseball in general, in our terms and conditions when we sign up for MLBtv, like and then they just pull him up and it's like, you actually want to agree to this. You agree to this, you support it, you support it? All right. So we got one more topic before we get to mock Draft three point zero, and we're saving the fastest for last. Luis Laura I posted on a X and our guy Buster only retweeted me. Peter Vision had the Luis Laura rounding the bases on a Bryce terrangue either single or double to center as the fastest sprint speed of the season. Actually asked podcast Pete right after he hit it, and I said, can we track the sprint speed? And he's like, it's not available yet, and I was like, well, my eyes said he was the fastest. Obviously, I have no real idea, but I do trust Peter Vision, which.
Speaker 2: Is funny because I think he's like by like feet per second. It's just like just above average.
Speaker 5: He evolved so well.
Speaker 3: The way his arms and legs were moving, it looked robotic in a good way though, like a mooth robot built for speed.
Speaker 5: I love this guy well.
Speaker 2: I mean, we had him on the Top one hundred list in like twenty twenty three when he was eighteen years old, and you know, I'd rarely do that with guys that have you not had a ton of a body of work there, But this is a player. Since the first time I saw him, the instincts in the feel for the game is is just ridiculous. And before his debut ranked forty second on our Top one hundred list.
Speaker 5: There was a span in twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Four where he fell off of it, but it was hard to properly assess him because he was pushed so aggressively. And I think the Brewers they do that with the guys that they love, and it's not comparing him to Chorio or Midday, but if they see that this is going to be a good Major League baseball player, they will push you quickly.
Speaker 5: And that's exactly what they did with Laura.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: He gets a high A when he was eighteen years old still and.
Speaker 2: By the time he was in is I think still nineteen years old, he was getting a taste of Double A.
Speaker 5: So it's like, how do you properly assess a player like that?
Speaker 2: And at twenty one years old, here he is starting the season at Triple A, and here he is having a power breakout where after never having hit more than four homers in a season, you go to Nashville.
Speaker 5: Nashal is one of the hardest places to hit.
Speaker 2: I've talked about this on the call up and maybe a little bit on here, and he's doubled already, more than doubled his career high in homers. He's nine through seventy eight games. This is a really good contact and like speed in elite glove type of guy. So if he's able to hit you ten to fifteen homers, holy crap. And I think just seeing that power uptick from him, even if it's eight to ten, just the fact that he's gonna be able to split the gap so much because he's walking more than he strikes out he's a switch hitter, was enough for the Brewers to be like, let's extend this guy.
Speaker 5: And that's what they did before he even debuted.
Speaker 2: And what I'm really excited about is you look at what he brings to the Brewers roster here, because even if he's not mashing right away, he's solid from both sides of the plate. Like I said, he's added the thumb. He's a plus centerfielder. People that I've talked to around the Brewers organizations say gold Glover. They think he can win multiple gold Gloves. You have Garrett Mitchell of course in centerfield, but also a guy that you you want to make sure you can keep healthy and maybe again that you don't want to see left He see lefties as much.
Speaker 5: So maybe Laura can can can take some of those matchups. South Freelick has really struggled.
Speaker 2: He could, He could give you plenty of value in the corner out there's another lefty bat.
Speaker 3: That was gonna be my next question. Do you think they just start to phase south Freelick out of the lineup here, because I mean his six P twenty six ops is certainly not doing it for him. And it's not like he's this all world defender either good defender, but if Luis Lara can provide better defense Freelick with a better bat, what are we talking about here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the thing is like I think the floor honestly for Laura with his swing decisions being where they're at, with the field to hit and everything.
Speaker 5: As a switch hitter, it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be something like sal So you'd pair that with better defense and you're getting more value. So short answers, Yeah, And I don't know what their long term plan is with Sally's still twenty six. Like he's given us a lot of really good stretches where you can see this guy s it is a good major League baseball player. But this is a Brewers team that can win the World Series. So I think this gives them flexibility. You talk about late game adjustments too. If you bring in the righty for Garrett Mitchell Freelick's not a good center fielder, now you have somebody in Laura, like if you pinch it, you love this spot. Vaughn was on the bench and you pinch it. You know, you pinch it for Mitchell and you just love to deploy Von in that spot or Sanchez or whatever. Now you have somebody else that can go slide over in a center field and play it at a high level. And I think that is huge for them too. So the flexibility that this gives Pat Murphy for the way that they can play platoons, and what Laura brings to the table I think is huge, and I think this allows the brus to hedge their weaknesses, leverage their strengths, and deploy their righty you know, pinchhit bats like Sanchez has been swinging it great, Vonn has been swinging it great, and just continue to be able to deploy them in different spots in that lineup, you know, when the lefty reliever comes in if it's a game that they're not starting.
Speaker 3: Good problem to have if you're Milwaukee and podcast people. Without further ado, let's talk to Tyler. The MLB Draft is on Saturday, July eleventh. It is Wednesday, July eighth, which means the most updated mock draft is live on just baseball dot com. Mock Draft three point zero written by Tyler Jennings and other you know, our great team over at just baseball dot com covering the draft. Tyler, thanks so much for joining us. You know, I love this part. We're getting real close to the White Sox picking number one overall and then the rest of the draft. I guess I want to start with what is the biggest difference between Mock Draft two point zero, which came out in the beginning of June to now on July eighth.
Speaker 8: I would say the biggest thing is kind of hammering out like more specific connections than what we had on Mock two point zero, specifically like looking at what the Orioles might do with like j Booth if he's there at number seven, and kind of figuring out like some of these top ten teams specifically in moving from there, and then some of these other teams were just like, maybe there's a better fit for like, you know, the Brewers at twenty five. We had Cole pro Sec there this this mock and he kind of just fits what they look for perfectly.
Speaker 1: And plus they've.
Speaker 8: Also picked out of the school he comes from comes from Magnolia Heights. Cooper Pratt came from there, So it's kind of trying to put some connections together and go from there.
Speaker 2: The other thing that I always think seems to happen as the draft gets closer it's inevitable because of the signing bonus and the go siating aspect of it, is the slam dunk first overall pick never turns out to be the slam dunk the closer the draft gets, and there's other variables, and that started to happen a little while ago, but I just feel like a closer we've gotten now, all of a sudden, Rock Schulawski now feels like the less likely pick, which is silly, but it just seems like when you look at all the conversation, all of a sudden, now it's like you're hearing more about Grady Emerson a couple of different outlet's put Grady Emerson is the number one player in the class. You hear, of course, like the murmurs of von Lackey and the fact that he could potentially go number one. It's got to be one of the more exhausting parts of this cycle, is or just every time of this year when we go through the cycle, is just the smoke and mirrors that usually comes with the number one pick when you don't have the slam dunk of all slam dunks. How much do you feel like all of this is smoking mirrors as the draft gets closer, and how much do you think this is actually a pretty wild and down to the wire decision for you know, this White Sox team to ultimately make because look, the Nationals did it last year, Eli will no one was expecting that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they'll say they made that decision like right after the clock was started too for the draft. So from what I've been told, the White Sox probably will not know who they're picking until like twelve thirty ish on on Saturday, which I would say that's like a half hour hour before the draft. I think it starts at one thirties, so I wouldn't be shocked if it goes past that. And you know, the biggest thing is is trying to pick out what is smoking mirrors, you know, Like you had mentioned, it's the exhausting part of this is trying to figure out like which rumor makes the most sense and which one's logical. Like we've mentioned this on the draft previous show between me and Connor Monday Night. But like von Lackey signing, you know, or at least agreeing to an eight point five million dollar bonus, you know, before the combine or even a little bit after, I don't feel like that's a thing anymore. I feel like now it's kind of down to either Rock or Grady at this point, and depending on who you prefer, I think you're gonna get different answers, but it really just comes down to who in the room prefers who, Like, do you prefer the guy with a potentially seventy glove of a high floor and has a track record in I understand it's a big ten, but like in college baseball, like that track record is really good, Or do you prefer the guy with the upside from the left side of the plate? Who you know they could you surp Rock in the future. But I made the comparison the other day where I think Rock has a greade better glove, and I would say the Raw powers at least a grade better as well. So like it's an interesting dynamic to kind of think about, and I understand, Like you know, I think there's only been two college short stuffs taking number one overall in the past like fifty years.
Speaker 1: Or something like that. The last one was Dansby.
Speaker 8: Rock just feels like the kind of guy to really break that streak a little bit. And I think at the same time, some of the rumors have been coming out now just been leverage play for the White Sox to get Rock to take less. So it really is just going to be a wild sort of scenario that's going to come right down to the wire. I feel like on Saturday, the MLB.
Speaker 3: Draft is a little bit different than other sports drafts because of slot value. Right, teams might go underslot in order to save money to draft another guy down the line where potentially they could splurge. I'm curious if the impending lockout in twenty twenty seven is affecting those decisions, maybe even more than usual, because we've seen a lot of teams do it in the past. Right teams have even gone way under slot at the number one overall pick.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: I remember the Pirates with Henry Davis, and there have been numerous other examples of that. Do you think that this draft in particular is going to be more affected by the lockout or do you think it's just business as usual because we don't really know what's going to happen with the lockout anyway, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Feel like it's going to be more business as usual.
Speaker 8: Because the more I thought about it, I kind of wonder like, obviously, when you look at it, player development next year is going to be, you know, depending on what happens, is going to be a either non existent or it will be like the COVID year where we kind of miss out on something. So it's it's interesting just talking around with some people as well. They don't feel like it's gonna affect much. I know some of the players have had their thoughts about, like, you know, looking in the future, where how do how does high school you know, the demographic kind of fit into the draft in the future, and how much does affect you know, guys behind them. I think that's gonna be a conversation half later on, but as of right now, I just I'm not sure how much that's going to affect the draft this year. But I know there'll be teams in the top five, top ten that are going to be trying to underslot it their their first pick and then if they have a compick or you know, some of those PPI picks at the end of the first round, I can definitely see somebody trying to get fancy and try and buy someone down.
Speaker 2: That's where I think it gets interesting in this draft too, And I'm excited to talk, you know, further with it about like about it all with you because like for me and I think there's a lot of really talented players and we're gonna get into some of them specifics, because like Kay Townsend in this latest mock, going all the way up to nine is pretty exciting, but that that would presumably be like an UNDERSWAT deal right with the Braves right handed from Mississippi. But my thing is, at least for the way that I look at it, it feels like and maybe you could draw the line maybe one or two players before or after based on who you like, But this draft in particular, it just seems like there's a bit of a drop off after the sixth or seventh pick, depending on how you look at.
Speaker 5: It, And at least for me, it feels that way.
Speaker 2: If that's the case, then a lot of teams may want to try to make an UNDERSWAT deal happen from there, because it's like, hey, there's not that much of a difference between the fifteenth guy on our board and the ninth guy on our board, per se, do you see it that way? Like do you see it as like top heavy and there's a there's a bit middle class as it pertains to the first round, And do you think that that affects team's ability to pull off an UNDERSWAT deal, Because like the most common UNDERSWAT team is the athletics at eight, and I don't know if they're like you can always pull off a deal for a guy that people really weren't expecting to be in that range, but it feels like it's a little bit more difficult to have the leverage as a team if there's not kind of that slam dunk top ten or twelve type of players that you're expecting.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think, as like a whole, like we've done a maybe the service to this class of like trying to hype it up to be a lot more than what it actually is, and that's not a shot to any of the players in this class. But I think you're correct in terms of there's a there's top heaviness here, and there's a clear you know, Tier A or first tier, and then it kind of just drops off a little bit after that. And you know, talking to scouts, they don't believe there's a you know, depending on who you asked, there's not always going to be a full first round of write ups for them, So like there'll be like twenty guys they put first round grades on, and then after that it's just like guys who you know will go in the first round. But we think they're second rounders and so on and so forth. So I think that's how this draft has kind of turned out to be, and I think that's gonna definitely play a role on how teams operate on this So, like you can see, I'm gonna throw out example, like the Royals at six, they had their secondary pick at thirty. You know, we had Drew Burris and trying to remember who else we had, we had Zion Rows at thirty, which looking back on it probably not be the way to operate necessarily. I know they'll probably stick with a bat at six and then try and and buy someone down at thirty. But Zion Rose, i know, does have connections to the Royals at that pick, depending on if he gets there. No idea if it will happen, but he has a lot of suitors in the back end of the first round right now. But if they they happen to get like EJ. Boof at six or even Jacob Lombard at six, you know what happens? Then do they pay overslot six and then try and buy you know, somebody at thirty to try and get an underslot dealble to help kind of maximize their bonus pool. There, so it's really interesting to see what happens there. I think the Giants are another team that like kind of fit that mold, where like they pick a floor, they pick it twenty nine. Do they want a top three in this class? I absolutely think they do. Doesn't happen genuinely, no idea, so a lot. I would say, after the Giants, it gets a little you know, kerfuffled a little bit. It's probably a good way to describe it.
Speaker 2: There's there's a clear tier one A, right, which is of course going to be the Chilawski's, the Emerson's and the Lackies of the world. And correct me if I'm wrong. I feel like that's kind of the one A from from there one B. How far down are you willing to go? Like, because I feel like with the one B still kind of putting them as.
Speaker 5: Part of that that tier one. Of course you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna have Flora in there. I'm curious where you're at at Lombard. It seems like he's a little bit more polarizing, but of course they're gonna have Flora Buris. And then that's where it gets interesting into like an EJ how far do you extend this beyond like to encapsulate Tier one. How many players do you think would fit that, like definitive tier one, even if it's a bee, because Tier one A is obviously going to be that queer cut top three guys.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I would say this, the question marks start coming in after you know the seventh player on our board. So like going through it, you mentioned one A Rock, Lackey, and Emerson, one Bee, Flora, Buris Booth.
Speaker 1: And Lombard.
Speaker 8: I feel like it's probably the best way to describe it because you start kind of getting into some question marks at eight. So like we have chrisy Copian at eight, you know, fantastic bat the ball skills, but injured all year, had a back issue. Supposedly according to when a Tech SAgs guy, you played through a broken leg this year, which is interesting to say the least. So there's some question marks about healthcare. Celia Straschneider obviously insane athleticism, insane power, but the hit tool really just leaves a lot more to be desired. Tyler Bell has a shorter injury right health for it, I would say, is probably the next guy to put into like the one B tier if we want to expand it to five just as a cashier with really good defense and power, but obviously the hit tool kind of a little if he depending on who you ask, but he's a catcher, he's not expected to have a fantastic hit tool, you know, So you know, I would definitely say that the seven to eight guys throwing in hell for for one bee if we want to.
Speaker 1: That's kind of where like the Tier one ends.
Speaker 3: For me, going to the end of the first round, from picks thirty through twenty one. A name that really jumped out at me because I think before the college baseball season started, Cam Flukey was potentially starting pitcher number one, even ahead of a guy like Jackson Flora. He dealt with injuries, it wasn't his best season, but I still think that he has a ton of potential. And in mock Draft two point zero he was going number twelve overall. In mock Draft three point zero, he's all the way down to twenty nine and the Giants do have the fourth pick and the twenty ninth is Jacob Lombard being drafted at number four as a cost saving measure so they can go get Cam Fluky. Is it just that's where Cam Flukey is going to land because he's sliding, Like break that down.
Speaker 1: For me, it's a mix of both.
Speaker 8: I feel like and with Lombard, I would say he's closer to slot value at four than you know, being an underslot guy. If he signs for under is probably not gonna be a ton of savings. So and our process, you know, going through it was like, hey, Flukey's still available here, and the main reason is because you know, obviously you mentioned the stretch fracture in the rib. You know, saw him week one, he looked very solid and then was out for eleven weeks because of the injury, and wasn't I don't want to say he wasn't crisp at the end of the season, but it took him some time to get back into form a little bit. And you know, there's been some talk about like, you know, is there anything plus in the profile thes like pitch wise, probably not. I would say fastball is probably closest, maybe the curveball, but it's really polished and really really proven. There's a lot of track record there. You know, he was going to be the first guy since I believe either Louder or Burns to pitch two hundred and fifty innings and be a first round pick. But that was the biggest thing, was like just finding a suitor somewhere in the teens or even twenties for him, because there's a lot of helium guys kind of rising into the teams right now, especially on the college pitching front, that you depending on who you guys safe. You served Fluky in some sense because of the fact that he just wasn't pitching this year.
Speaker 1: So in my opinion, at.
Speaker 8: The end of the day, he's going to be used as like, say, in this scenario, Lombard doesn't sign for under, maybe you get Fluky at a discount of twenty nine to kind of save you some some wiggle room, and then if you're the Giants, kind of start aiming for some higher priced guys later on to see, you know what, can we kind of get out of this to pair of these two together. So it's definitely a mix of both. And I still feel like the Angels probably still knock on his door try and wonder it's like, hey do we what do we do here?
Speaker 1: Because it's still.
Speaker 8: The angels like they still want to have a guy that rises quickly through the system with in Polise, I believe is the the scouting director is still there even with Nastian being fired, So you know, I think that's an early spot for him. But it was just really tough to find a suitor for him farther down with all the rising guys in this class, and it just felt like a match Bate and Haaven for the Giants to kind of go after this guy. And if you're the Giants, you're happy in that scenario, right you don't have any upside really starting pitching wise in that system right now.
Speaker 1: And to get a guy who, like you had.
Speaker 8: Mentioned the beginning of the year, preseason, number one arm in the country, I say you take out and Renova.
Speaker 2: If you're Giants, I feel like every year we're going to get the two way dream being sold to us on somebody. That dream almost never starts, and if it does, they put it on ice pretty quickly. But we're getting the two way dream a little bit here with Jared grindligger and super talented, obviously left handed pitcher and outfielder.
Speaker 5: And you know, you look at there's a reason why.
Speaker 2: I mean, these are special athletes that people talk themselves into with this and like I was just talking to Bryce Eldridge before a game not too long ago, and yeah, I was just asking him like semi ton and tongue in cheek, like does the pitching aspect ever? You know, I help you in the box when you're thinking about just what you would throw yourself. He's like, that helped me, like it low way, but now it feels like so far away ago. I it doesn't even really feel like part of this, like part of my career. And I never pitched a high enough level to really be able to to tap into that part of my brain. And that was a guy that I thought had as good of a chance as anybody because of the arsenal that he had on the mound as well, Like what are the chances that Grindwigger can actually do this?
Speaker 5: And is this gonna be baked into the eval?
Speaker 2: What do you think most teams see him as I think that's the fun part that's you usually split as like some teams will se him an outfielder, some teams will seehm as a left tended pitcher.
Speaker 5: I'm just curious what the assessment is there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was definitely considered and talking with Kylie mcdamuel at the USA Complex in March. Here's the vibe that I kind of get from him. Obviously, Grimlinger reclassed from twenty seven to twenty six really late. He's going to be seventeen years and two months on Saturday when he gets drafted, and that gives you a lot of lead time really with development pathways.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: The way that Kylie was explaining it to me was the fact that, like, hey, there's a chance that you get stuck at the complex for two years and it kind of create your own path from there. Basically, like depending on who you talk to, Like I've spoken to scouts, you prefer the bat, some prefer the arm. So there's not really definitive answer on like what he's going to do right now. I think that really speaks to the talent level on both sides of the ball for him, and the idea of putting him at the complex for two years is like, hey, let's let's find out what we think you can be really good at, and if you prove to us that you can be a legitimate two way player, then we'll we'll develop you as such. But if you happen to be better as one thing, or the other. Then we're going to go that direction and go from there. So that's the that's kind of how we've gone through the process with grim Linger is uh, you know, we are gonna have him as a two way prospect for now, but I think at the end of the day, maybe he does just go to one. But I think he's got the best chance of any recent two way prospect at the amateur level to to really be that two way guy. And you know, I've talked to it nauseam before, where like being a two way is incredibly difficult. You mentioned Eldridge and having this arsenal he had, and then he's a first round pick as a bat and you know, show Hay is obviously the cream of the crop. He's the guy that everybody looks at when it comes to two way guys. But being a legitimate two way at that kind of level, like show A has, is just outlier stuff. It's generational stuff, really, and that really just puts into respect of how hard it is to do that kind of thing. So we'll see what happens with Grimlinger, but I think at the end of the day, like there is a legitimate chance that he has the prowess to be a two way guy.
Speaker 5: I remember Bubba Chandler.
Speaker 2: Also, they let him swing it a little bit like at the Complex, and you know, you saw him leave the yard a couple of times.
Speaker 5: But it's like he's battling for his life in the box.
Speaker 2: So he's gonna have to work so hard to develop as a hitter, and you're gonna take away from from what can be you know, as a pitcher, which we've seen so many flashes of what can be there.
Speaker 5: So that was the biggest reason. I was curious too, because you saw bub but at least.
Speaker 2: Get some runway at the complex, and it was like, hey, you're not gonna get a ton, but show us something quick and we'll see what can happen. But you have him going to the Rockies. That makes a lot of sense where they could have some more time there to kind of see.
Speaker 5: You know, what works.
Speaker 3: And Jack Higlion, I feel like, is another good example of a two way guy. Came out of Florida and he's throwing one hundred miles an hour. But you know they drafted him, I guess technically is a two way player. But then he started hitting bombs and now he's going to be in the home run derby, which was just announced today. Speaking about big lefties, there's another lefty at the end of the first round you have going to pick number thirty five, Brody Bamilla. I think that's how you pronounce his last name. Six foot nine, gigantic high school pitcher who's been up to one hundred miles an hour and he's been going viral online just because the stuff pops off the screen. But people might be surprised to say he's not even going in the top thirty picks, even though there is all of this perceived potential. So I'm curious if you could break down a guy that has been getting a lot of buzz, at least in social media circles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the biggest thing for him.
Speaker 8: And admittedly after we posted or like submitted this mod it came out that he had a second UCL injury, and being that young and having not only one but two UCL syrageries at this juncture, it doesn't necessarily help his case. You know, I understand like teams are not as scared available injuries as they were back when, like Mark Apell and trying to remember the guy who went to the Astros at one and then signed with the Guardians the year after. I can't remember his name, but uh, oh Bratty Aikin, that's who it was. So like, obviously that doesn't scare them as much, but the fact that it's more than just one injury at this point, uh, it kind of does speak volumes to how a how volatile prep pitching is and pitching in general. But also the same token, you know, injuries can be a death sentence when it comes to stuff like this. Unfortunately, and you know, as much as he hit one hundred, it is eighty grade fastball. It's amazing, Like the power prowess has always been there with that pitch. It never felt like there was as much helium after the season ended for him, and then it kind of came out as the combine started coming along.
Speaker 1: It's like, hey, he might be injured.
Speaker 8: I remember getting a text from Brian Recca, who's done a phenomenal job in the Northeast, where he's like, hey, there's a potential injury here.
Speaker 1: Just heads up.
Speaker 8: And then it comes out, you know, two days ago that like, hey, he's now got an injury. Hasn't thrown the ball since the season ended, so it's a it's a tough blow, and I think when we kind of update this monk on Saturday morning for four point zero in the final edition of this there's a non zero chance that he might not even be on the mock, mainly because of that injury scare, which sucks because he's a very talented kid. You know, he was dropping forty points to twenty rebounds on the on the hardwood before he went out and started throwing a hundred on the mountain. So he's a very talented athlete for a kid his size, and wish him nothing but the best, but yeah, it's it's definitely a h an injury nightmare unfortunately with him, and just hope it all comes comes to fruition and hopefully everything will be back to normals he comes back from injury, but it's a it's a tough situation with him.
Speaker 2: So Justin Lebron is probably one of the most if not the most polarizing players in the draft, and I want to start with him, but then I also want to tee you up for like, in this mock, who's the player that could potentially you know, and maybe this is the answer that could go as high as a certain point and as low as a certain point, like who has the largest delta between the ceiling and the floor of where they could be drafted. You have Lebron going at seventeen, which I'd imagine is somewhere in the middle of that. For him, the shortstop from Alabama has all the defensive tools to be spectacular there, but sometimes struggles with the routine. Has the offensive ability to be an impactful hitter, but you struggled in conference playing, struggles with some swing and miss at points. So it's that tools and excitement, but you know some concerns as well to go with. That creates the classic volatile, polarizing player. Obviously, the Astros never deterred by risk when it comes to the draft, but they're also rarely picking even this high at seventeen. I'll start with Lebron and you know, what do you think his ceiling and floor is? Why do you think you know the Astros are a good landing spot. And then if he is not the most volatile of first round picks here in this mock draft, who's the guy that you think could go as high as X pick and as well as why pick?
Speaker 8: I definitely think it's going to be Lebron on both questions there, or at least when it comes to like he can go this high, but then his floor is all the way down here in the biggest reason, like you mentioned, the swing and miss has been a concern, Like every single year, we've kind of looked at Lebron. We're like, early in the season, like, hey, this looks like a legitimate top five pick. We did it last year and had him as the early one to one a year and a half out, and then he kind of fell off, and here comes Rock with an amazing season, and now he did the same thing. And I think even the defense has kind of fallen back just that little bit. You know, me and Aaron were talking about this the other week, where I still think he's very much capable of playing shortstop. I think we on a public scale underrate the development of defense at the pro level because when we like, for example, Cole Emerson wasn't necessarily a lockdown shortstop when he was drafted by the Mariners in twenty three, he was kind of this guy is like he has the tools to stick here, we're not sold on it yet. And now he's a legitimate shortstop. So I think there's a way you can clean up the defense a little bit. He's got the athleticism and the range in order to make it work. He was just really playing backfooted and really just wasn't didn't look as confident this year as he has in the past, So I think that's going to be something to work on. But swing and miss has never been good. Admittedly, like he hammers fastballs. I'll give him credit where credits due. Being able to delete fastballs on the top rail like he has has been fantastic and you don't find that often in an amateur prospect. But it just feels like he's guessing it's spin a little bit, like it's a mix of he doesn't recognize spin out of the hand and also his batpath just has it going right over these breaking balls and away. So I think at the end of the day, he has the tools to be a top ten pick in this class and even top five if everything kind of materialized. But you know, you look at the astros and go like, hey, they took Bryce Matthews a couple years ago kind of the same. I don't want to say the same exact mode of player, but like the tools are pretty similar. You know, has the questions with the hit tool. It's pretty big, right handed power that can play short stop and has great athleticism. So that's why it kind of made sense for us to put him at Houston at seventeen.
Speaker 1: Could he go lower than this?
Speaker 8: I think he can kind of into the twenties, but at the higher end of his spectrum, he could be back into the top ten pick. So he's one of the more confusing ones. Really in our conversations, was like, where do we really pick them? But the fit just felt perfect with Houston.
Speaker 3: So I have two more questions. I want to ask where kind of Jackson Flora were his ranges compared to others starting pitching number one in previous draft classes. And I have a theory to run by you about who I think will end up going number one overall. But let's real quick here from our friends at Hampton Farms, all right, So I got two questions. One of them again going back to the starting pitching conversation, Jackson Flora is going at number five in the mock draft and watching him at UCSB this year blowing one hundred miles an hour feel for a breaking ball, the nasty kick change, definitely a fantastic pitcher and a fantastic prospect. But I'm curious if you can compare him to the top starting pitchers in previous drafts, because in last year's draft, Kate Anderson when number three overall and arm correct my if I'm wrong, he hasn't allowed to hit all minor league season. I think take the numbers like right, and then I think the draft before right, it was Chase Burns, who is already up with the majors competing for a cy young Just comparing to those two and maybe drafts of the past, where does Jackson Flora fall into.
Speaker 8: Kind of towards the lower end of like the top arms taken in previous drafts?
Speaker 1: Admittedly like and it's not to say like Flora is bad or anything.
Speaker 8: I just think when you look at the strings sudden weaknesses of this class, weaknesses have been pitching, especially on the college front, and with Flora there's some stuff to really work on still, Like, yes, he throws a hundred, but the fastball shape is not necessarily the greatest. He's going to lose some vertical carry as he gets to pro ball with the different baseballs, and he only I think he averaged closer like seventeen or eighteen, So it will probably level out like fifteen to sixteen IVV and you know as much as one hundred as one hundred, like once he loses vee a little bit, it might hamper the effectiveness of the fastball. So we'll see what happens there. But feel has been fantastic. He has two incredible breaking balls and then also that kick change, which you know, we'll we'll talk about this more in depth probably on the live stream on Saturday. But he didn't have a change up last year. He didn't he when he threw like a variation of like a circle change zero whiffs on the year. Uh, he probably threw like ten of them. And this year it it comes in to be his most successful swing and mispitch most successful chase pitch, if I remember correctly, at like a forty rate and like a fifty per chase rate. It was ridiculous how good that pitch was this year. And I think that really saves him from you know, falling down the board a bit further than what he was. I think his range starts around I would say two to three. I don't necessarily know if his name's you know, been pushed in with the White Sox, but he's been rumored around like the Rays of Twins of like if they want to be if they target and really fancy a starting pitcher, they would they would be the places for him. But I think for there's legitimacy with the fact that, again they don't have a ton of starting pitching death in that farm system.
Speaker 1: For the Giants, Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh.
Speaker 8: They just know their their their strengths with development and pitching has been that the past couple of years.
Speaker 1: Royals also love him as well.
Speaker 8: So I think you'll go anywhere from like two to three, maybe down to like seven is probably his floor, but I really find a hard time to see him even go past six.
Speaker 3: Arm you got another question and you're ready form a theory.
Speaker 5: Now I'm ready for your theory.
Speaker 3: Okay, So first of all, I want to preface it with this, I'm a better and as a better I'm looking for value. So I'm throwing both of you my theory, and I understand it's not going to be perfect. I expect hopefully constructive criticism, but I'm coming from the position of this bet on BETMGM is plus five hundred, so I think it is a more likely scenario than the implied probability of sixteen point six seven percent. That's where I'm coming from, where I see value at this pick, and it gets into my theory of I think Chris gets is also going to be looking for value the GM of the White Sox in this draft. And you said at the beginning that the rumor that von Lackey was going to take eight and a half million dollars is not maybe necessarily true. But can we agree that he likely takes less money than it would to pay Rock Chulaski or Grady Emerson, who, funny enough, are represented by the same agency, so there's not really going to be haggling in between agents. That agency likely has already set their prices on Rock and Emerson. So can we at least agree that by drafting von Lackey it would be saving them money? Yes, yes, okay, good, So that's point number one. I also think that the White Sox are are drafting from a position of win now more than maybe some other teams in previous drafts who have gotten the number one overall pick, So drafting Grady Emerson he could be the model's favorite player, but an eighteen year old. The year after, they just drafted a high school shortstop at number ten, And then it kind of bleeds into my next point, just about drafting shortstops in general. The White Sex are in an interesting position because a lot of their key pieces are shortstops. In third basement, you got Colson Montgomery at twenty four years old, with plenty of years of arbitration, on pace to be the first left handed shortstop to ever hit forty home runs very very cheap. At third base, got Miguel Vargas, who is just named an All Star. And at first base, even if you were to move Vargas over there, you got moon to Takomarakami, who they still have for another year and a half. But then, on top of it, their number one prospect is Caleb Bonamer, who I know arm is brought up in multiple Knowlmilb reports on this show as a guy who just continues to pillage baseballs. And that's not even mentioning again, Billy Carlson, who they drafted number ten overall last season. I see a White Stocks team that shortstop or even third base is the least of their needs throughout their entire organization. And then I look at the catching position within their organization and I see among their top thirty prospects, their best catching prospect is not even above rookie ball. And then you look at the catchers in house. Edgar Carrow has clearly not gotten off to a good start at all. And then you have Kyle Teal, who I still believe in. I like Kyle Teal, armkes Kyle Teal. I think you like Kyle Teal. We all like Kyle Teal, But just looking at it right now, since he debuted, he has not been a very good defensive catcher, and at least now through this season he's struggling offensively. I still like him. I'm not holding him against him, just kind of bringing up that Kyle Teal is not the perfect catcher, like let's say Colson Montgomery is at short or Miguel Vargas is at third, Like if you were to pick between those, there's two clearly playing better than the other. So Von Lackey at plus five hundred, when you add up all of these different things, where the White Sox are also picking at pick forty one, do they go with a catcher who, in my opinion, is rightfully. In that group of three, I think Rock Scholaski and Grady Emerson are probably better prospects, but I think Von Lackey is right there. Because I'm no scout, I'm not pretending to be a scout either, But when I watched Lackie and Rock this year, I came away thinking Lacky is the better player. It's one season. It was just this past year. Rock also has a longer track record, and I don't watch high school games. I'm not going to pretend to say that I do. I've seen Grady Emerson highlights, looks awesome, but I haven't seen him in person. I haven't seen him throughout an entire game on TV like I've seen Rock and Von Lackey. So that's when I go back to the Von Lackey point. You got a catcher who at four hundred with a thirteen hundred OHPS, who I believe is going to be a better defender than Kyle t and might make the Bigs a little bit quicker, who knows maybe the same as Rock to again help the White Sox win. So you factor in position cost and the fact that Von Lackey is a damn good player. I think at plus five hundred, the likelihood he gets taken first overall is higher than sixteen point six seven percent.
Speaker 8: Thoughts, I don't hate that, I really don't, and kind of the three of your point because you mentioned the idea of like, okay, he signs for under slot and the White Soince historically the past couple of years have targeted a high school guy at their second overall pick or like their second round pick, rather where like they took Caleb Bonamber two years ago, they took Jayden Fowski last year, and Fauski looks like, you know, one of the better I would say trade chips in that White Sox system as well. So it totally makes sense in terms of like looking at that and also considering the the pipeline of talent in that farm system and looking at the major league roster where like, yeah, this is a team that's you know, they're picking one one, but they're they're good, you know, they're they're they're on the verge of I can't remember where they are in the standings. I think they're they are in the wildcard spot, or they're very close to one, or they're.
Speaker 1: Leading the division.
Speaker 3: Yeah, leading the division.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, Wow, I've paid attention to they will be this year.
Speaker 3: Apparently we'll give you're writing up a draft board of three hundred names. I think we know where you're attached at. Is that right now? Which is totally fine?
Speaker 1: That that is fair.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but like you know, I think that's a that's a great way of looking at it. And and also like I would say, like counterpoints like, yeah, Murricami's only got a year and a half left, see what happens from there. Maybe move Vargus over the first base when like if they pick Rock, move Rock to shore stop close in the third, and then when goes across I guess, and then Bonemer Bonemer really depends on what happens there is I guess it's a log jam. It is probably the best way to describe it. And like, I don't want to say it's a bad thing necessarily to have.
Speaker 3: Having a lot of great players is a great thing to have. I'm just saying for a position of need, if they don't see the gap between Lackeye and Rock Schlowski and Grady Emerson is that large and they can save money on Lackey, That's where I think potentially we could see him go number one overall, because again, this is not a cost saving pick. It just so happens to be a cost saving pick, and von Lackey is awesome. I'm curious your thoughts on my theory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think a lot of times with the when it comes to like log jam or perceived log jam, I don't think the team's care as much as like we do when we roster resource, like try to map it out. That said, like, I'm sure there's a wrinkle to it, but like Bonhamer, guy's gotta hit big league pitching, Like all these guys have to hit big league pitching, So you might as well have as many you know, infielders as you possibly can and try to see who can actually do it.
Speaker 5: The biggest thing to me is, and I think this is what it all comes down to.
Speaker 2: Is like if it is really like splitting hairs in the eyes of the White Sox between Lackey and Jelawski, then it makes a lot of sense because I think it won and I think Henry Davis is.
Speaker 5: Kind of a cautionary tale.
Speaker 2: You can't save money at one unless there's a really specific reason why you're doing it. In terms of like you don't see that much difference with the players, because for me, it's like, how often do you get to pick number one? Yeah, you can't get it wrong. You have to get number one right. Like that's how you lose jobs, is getting number one wrong. And so for me, it's just the question then comes down to what are the odds that Lackey and Jelaski are viewed in pretty much the same light? Tyler, you think but between these two in the eyes of the White Sox, because I think that's the only way that that that is possible, and I think that is possible, But I just I don't know how possible it is that they see these two players in the same light.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Like I mentioned earlier, with that eight point five million dollar rumor that Lackey had at the combine, I am still very sure Name is involved in some way, shape or for him in that war room and will for the remainder of the week. But at the moment, it just feels like Rock and Emerson heaven the ones really brought up the most and I at least pressas with this too, Like we mentioned money savings and everything like that. You know, this is the first year where we have an eleven million dollars signing bonus at one to one, and the signing bonus record is still even holiday from a year ago, which I believe was nine point two five million. So I feel like, even then, if if Rock signs, for example, for nine point five million, he still gets the record and he saves the White Sox at least two million dollars to go after somebody at forty one, Whereas you know, obviously a Lacky does sign for eight point five, he saves them three million dollars and then can go big fish hunting at forty one. So it's an interesting theory to kind of look at it that way, where like, whoever they take it one pint one is going to save them a significant love summer change. But you're then kind of looking at it from like, Okay, if we get the first ever ten million dollar signee in the bonus pool era, you're saving only a mill and a half compared to what some of these other guys will bring to the table. So I think it's a again, it's it's definitely possible. I like the theory, Peter that you brought up, and I think it's definitely something to keep on the back burners, so we'll see what happens when it comes to the draft day. I think at the end of the day, like whoever they take, they it will be one of these top three, and I think we'll get a decision either an hour before the draft or.
Speaker 1: Or might go right to the buzzer. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: It really stems from the theory, at least, my belief in von Lackey. It's not because I think there's something wrong with Rock Schlawski at all. I think he breaks. Yeah, I think he's gonna be an awesome player. I just believe in von Lackey. Like again, I'm not much of a scout. It's hard for me to notice, like when a catcher is average to blow average to above average, But I believe in a catcher defensively when I see him pop and I felt like I saw Kayden Bodine pop, I feel like a dumb on lacky pop and his ability to hit at the plate. I just feel like if he was playing third base or shortstop, or he was even a corner outfielder, he would still be a middle of the first round bat so and then he just so happens to be a really really athletic catcher, a leader of men. Listening to what the Georgia Tech guys said about him, you know, when their postgame press is like, this is a leader of men, and I just feel like he would be a great selection at number one overall. And then they just so happen to save money, and then they just so happened to need catchers more than shortstops in their basement. So that's where the theory comes from. We will see. I cannot wait. I also can't wait to read mock Draft four point zero, which again will likely come out maybe July tenth, July eleventh morning, of when can people expect that it's.
Speaker 8: Probably going to be Saturday morning on a eleven. Just that way we can try and get the most like connections with rumors that are going around like last year. Obviously did we get this right? No, but we had we had been to like the Ashros. We're in agreement with a prep player at twenty one. I was told tape that's south the scene went with him on the mock It turned out the being Xavor and Ninets and sat the scene with the pick after so like, you know, got it wrong, but like hey, that's usually the best time when we kind of start figuring some stuff out, so it'll probably be like a couple hours more draft time on Saturday morning. But either which way, like this this top three and thirteen board player like player board here that I've been working on, hoping to have it out tomorrow if not Friday morning, trying to get some maritimes so people can look at which players they want at their selections, and then Mock four point zero will come out Saturday morning.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much Tyler for coming on. This was a blast. I can't wait, you know, to talk more draft stuff with you on the day of the draft when you join our draft stroom, and it's going to be a blast, and we'll definitely be checking out Mock Draft four point zero, which again you can find on Just baseball dot com for Tyler Jennings arm lighton, I'm Peter Apple. The best way to support the Just Baseball Show make sure you smash the like bundon ansubscribe button And if you're listening to us on audio, best way to sport is leaving a five star review. And if you want to talk more draft stuff with us, make sure to join our discord using the link in the episode description for Tyler for Arum, I'm Peter, see you tomorrow. With that, thank you, everybody,