Speaker 1: Welcome to this League Uncut rule of twenty four hour NBA News.
Speaker 2: This's you, Chris Haynes.
Speaker 1: It's time, work's time, it's some time. This League Uncut is underway and on fire. This should be a good one.
Speaker 3: Welcome in, friends to another edition of this League Uncut. Mark Stein here with Chris Haynes from Turner Sports. We promised this in our last episode, which was Dame Heavy. October is here. We are officially back to two pods a week, so you will get your full fix of this League Uncut from now through July. You get us twice a week. I hope. I hope that's news. I hope that's welcome news at your house. He is back from Milwaukee after making his first trip of the season. Chris Haynes, you went to one of my favorite cities in the league. Yes, that is true. That is it. That is not exaggeration. That is a true statement, even in the winter time. I love going to Milwaukee. But I saw Dame Lillard say I actually use this quote in my media day piece today. I saw that, let me get let me get this quote. Seeing the sun out and being by the water and stuff like that. It made me smile a little bit. This might be all right, Dame says about his new hometown. You give give us the give us the vibe. What what was it like to uh to be there on the official first day of the Jannis and Dame era.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess it's good that he arrived in Milwaukee this past weekend because I don't know how long that sun is going to be out. It might have had a different story next week. It was really I'm playing, but it was really a beautiful weekend, Milwaukee, beautiful day. I spent the entire day with him, most of the day with him Saturday. Uh, they arrived as soon as they arrived on on Land in Milwaukee, went straight to the rally I was. I went in so soon as he touched down, he went, He walked through the rally path, you know, waved the fans. You know this video footage of that. And then what there was where there wasn't much footage is when we went into the arena and they had the Bucks had NBA employee, I mean, excuse me, Bucks personnel just standing throughout the arena holding big Dame face, uh Dick, you know big Dame faces. And you know there was posters there was. It reminded me like you just the a recruiting trip, like if you're you know, if you're a big time college recruit and they.
Speaker 3: Just got him already.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had him already, Yeah, but they still gotta put on the show. Uh. And so you know, they walk all through the concourse of the arena, through the corridors of the arena, and you know, Dame time, welcome Dame and his family, you know, all over the video the video tron in the arena, and then as soon as you walk into the arena, they did the PA announcer did his intro and uh, you know it's just you know, it was a long, winning intro, just where he's from and all that, and then announcing him as the Milwaukee Bucks. Then we took a tour of the the locker room, took a tour of the practice facility, took a tour of the family room, and uh, it was a cool it was a cool set up. It's a cool setup. They did a really good job. But then he met with Gianni's met with Terry Stotts, who is his who was the assistant coach of the Bucks, but who was his coach for most of his career Portland, Adrian Griffin the head coach, and he just I remember steying like and okay before that, before I say that. And then the Bucks gave him at got him a condo, a condo in downtown Milwaukee, overlooking the river, overlooking the bridge, beautiful view on a on a high floor.
Speaker 3: So he's already sat where he was. He's gonna live because that was actually gonna be one of my questions. Yeah, we talked so much about the basketball adjustment and you know, moving to a new team, but but really, when you think, I mean, he's he's been so ensconced in that Portland community to move to just moving to Milwaukee, that's that's probably gotta be the the biggest difference of anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the That's that's the biggest transition that that's what he was worried about, you know, thinking about where he's going to have his kids, where his kids are going to go to school at and all that. But yeah, the Bucks got to have him a condo. This this temporary, but the condo was nice. They they fully furnished it with everything they had food, had the fridge filled up with drinks and everything, like they the Bucks went all out. But my my guess, you know, I'm giving, I'm giving a little real estate, uh real estate nugget. My guess is he'll probably end up taking the home of somebody who just vacated the Bucks and went elsewhere. That's that's my guess. But uh, he was at the end of that night. That's what I was getting to. At the end of the night, he text me. It was late at night, he had to take his physical. He didn't get in till like midnight. After that whole day. Uh, he text me, this is where I'm supposed to be. And so they they showed him a time, they showed him. He was impressed, and you know, he's all in.
Speaker 3: Because it's interesting. Didn't he say that he plans to living He plans to keep living in Portland in the off season.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, because he just had a crazy matching built. It just completed about two months ago. Crazy. I haven't even got the He was supposed to have a housewoman party there, but he never did because this situation was up in the air. But yeah, that that place he's keeping, that place, that's that's going to be his off season home. And you know he's gonna he's gonna stay there after his career is over.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. Well, look, I mean, let's let let us talk about the I have a feeling. You know, I know your answer, and I've basically written this already. I still say Milwaukee is the slight favorite in the East, even after what Boston did, and what Boston did was Milwaukee's worst nightmare. Milwaukee has to give up the beloved Drew Holliday to Portland to get Dame, and what happens Portland trades Drew Holliday to Milwaukee's biggest rival. But even saying so, I'm still giving Milwaukee the edge, And it kind of makes me laugh because like when Milwaukee, when the Bucks make the trade for Dame, you hear a lot of oh this is you know, they didn't improve that much. You know their perimeter defense is going to be so much weaker with Dame that you know this doesn't really improve them. And then the same thing with the Celtics. You know they got true Holiday, but yeah, you know, now their front line is so weak, they've got no depth, and it's like there's no trade that just makes you an automatic champion and you're you know that you have no weaknesses. I mean, if that was the case, we'd really be miserable as a collective, uh, you know, basketball public, because we don't want this thing to be decided in October. I mean, these teams are supposed to have some flaws and some things wrong with them. But I just my feeling on it is that what Dame is going to bring Milwaukee offensively is really what they've lacked, and it's gonna give them a dimension they haven't had in they honest era. I think Milwaukee they have enough defensive minded players without Drew Holliday. Okay, none of them are locked down guards, but they have enough defensive minded players that they're still going to be a good defensive team. And again, Dame addresses their number one biggest weakness, which is in playoff basketball. They're now going to have something dynamic in the half court to ease Jannis's burden, and for the first time in both of their lives, Jiannis and Dame are really going to get to co share the burden of trying to carry a team to a championship. Boston's top six is incredible. Drew Holliday and Derek White are going to be sensational in the backcourt together. I'm rooting for Chris tops Porzingis. I'm fond of the guy. I just but they're asking a lot of him now to not just stay healthy, but be super mobile on defense, maybe move more than he's ever had to unless they change their skin, you know, I guess they could go you with the drop coverage with Porzingis as being their their main rim protection. But they're asking a lot now of Chris stops Porzingis and Al Horford, who is you know, getting up there? So both teams have questions. I'm going to give the Bucks a slight edge. Tell me, tell me how you view the top two in the East right now?
Speaker 4: I agree, I'll give the Bucks the edge. And you know, I'll give the Bucks the edge just for not just for but their continuity. They know each other, they've been there, the championship pedigree. Then you add Dame who is going to be that difference maker of five minutes left in the game, playoff type basketball when you really need a bucket. You know, that's where he's going to change the trajectory up the Bucks on that side of the ball. Defensively. You know, he's not a Drew Hollday defensive player. But you know, Dane addressed that at media days, like when you have a great team defensively, a lot of times that can rub off into you. And he talked about you know, listen, yeah you can say I wasn't a great defender in Portland. He did say he got better each year, but he had to show the so much of the load on the offensive end, so he had to give up something on one side of the ball, and a lot of times it was on the defensive end. But you know he's ready for that challenge on that end the floor. But what I would say to Boston is they still lack. They still leave a lot to be desired in the interior. You know, that's where Milwaukee can still feast in the interior. And you are asking Chris stat Pazingers to do a lot something he hasn't done really in his whole NBA career and been successful at a high rate and at a consistent rate. So I still think that's where the Bucks have the upper hand. And then yes, Derek White, Drew Holliday, they're going to be a force, you know, arguably the best defensive backcourt in the league. You're not stopping Dame. You know, you're not stopping Dame, you know, and I think that that's what the bucks.
Speaker 3: But you know what, you know what people are going to say. People are going to say. People are gonna say, first, oh, you guys, just you love Dame. You're this is a pro Dame podcast. Of course you're going to say that. And the other thing they're going to say is, remember what happened in twenty eighteen when New Orleans played Portland and Drew locked Dame up.
Speaker 4: So I mean, I you know, okay, I mean you can look I mean, you can say that, but look at I mean, that was okay, let's talk about that. Let's let's talk about this stun. Let's go back to that playoff series against the Pelicans years ago. Dame didn't have help, you know, so they it was a boxing one they played majority of the of the time in that series. It wasn't no one on one defensive, you know. The the goal was to get the ball out of his hands, which for most for the most part, that work, and then Dame had to rely on others who didn't step up. And then when Dame wanted to try to get going, he had to force it because they were getting the ball out of his hands. Look just look at the look at the two games against the Bucks last year, the year before that. You're not stopping Damn. He was second in scoring last year, you know. So that I'm not saying anything Drew would tell you that. So we're not saying anything that nobody knows. But yes, you know you have to give Drew how they are the credit in the world in a defensive end. But you're not stopping Dame. And Dame provides the spacing, not traditional spacing, not traditional spacing that most players do or just stand one foot behind the line. Nah, Dame is back three four feet behind the line. That's going to give so much space and allowed Gianna's so much room to Rome and there's so much spacing where you can start to pick and rolls for so far out. And then you got Chris Middleton on the opposite side of wing. You know, that's that's that's a dynamic they've never had. That's a dynamic that only about two teams. Half is Portland and go.
Speaker 3: Chris Middleton is going to be so much Chris Middleton will be so much better served being the third best player on Milwaukee's team rather than the second no.
Speaker 4: Question, he told me Stein Chris told me yesterday he expects all three to have a career year. That's say in a lot.
Speaker 3: And look, let me just say this about Boston. You know, I like what they did. I really do, even though we're gonna raise questions about their depth beyond the top six, even though we're gonna raise questions about can Porzingis and Al Horford counter Milwaukee's front line, because Boston has had a very good run of success, but many many years in a row of not getting it done. They haven't won a championship with their start twosoon. But this approach that they've taken is we're not gonna break up Jason Tatum and Jalen Brown, no matter what the outside noise is. No, we are not breaking up those two guys. We're gonna change everything else around them, but we're not going to break that up. And and so you know, I I do think these are bold swings that Brad Stevens has taken. And it's fascinating because you know, as a coach, Brad Stevens was not associated with bold. You know that just that wasn't his rep. He was seen as this conservative coach, but as a as a front office guy, he is just taking these home run swings and there's no getting around it. I mean, Marcus Smart, Grant Williams, Rob Williams, I mean they've they've made major changes to their team, but to bring in Porzingis and Drew Holliday, I mean, the you know, they've they've attacked this as aggressively as they can. I think the Celtics basically are trying to tell us they know their time is now and they've got to win. They've got to win here, and so they're going for it, and you have to I applauded.
Speaker 4: Plauded also started on the flip end. I know it's not involving these two teams Milwaukee and Boston, but you got to get credit to what Portland was able to do and getting getting done the DAMI little trade and what they got in return. Like they they pulled out something that many not many foresaw them doing. And uh now they're still in position to add more assets with with Malcolm Brogden still being over there, so they still got a chance to add to their their haul that they've that they've retrieved and so you know, Joe Cronin did did a did an unbelievable job. Unbelievable job. You got to give them props for that for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know you mentioned Brogden, who I left out at I mean, so, I mean the four key guys from Boston's team. They've surrendered smart Malcolm Broggen, Rob Williams, Grant Williams to bring in Holiday, to bring in Porzingis. And you know, you're right, Portland has done better than I think a lot of people were expecting. All summer long. There was this assumption that it was inevitable that they were finally in a cave and just send Dame to Miami. And you know, you had such a great story, which we talked about at length in the last episode detailing just how Frosty had got between Portland and Team Lillard. But look, the Blazers, they got a lot back. Their position was vindicated. They not only were able to do this before training camp starts, so they could start over, really start over, and Scoot Henderson. The Scoot Henderson era begins with clarity and not some trade saga cloud hanging over the franchise. But you know they waited and Milwaukee surfaced as a real trade partner. And maybe in mid August, you know, Milwaukee was not a real trade partner, but by mid September, Milwaukee became very real. You know, what about the heat? Where did the heat go from here? I know you were in Milwaukee all day Monday, but I'm guessing you you saw Jimmy Butler at training camp, and everybody wants to talk about his Everybody wants to talk about his Halloween costume. But I'm I'm more fixated, frankly, on Jimmy. Jimmy is saying, see you guys in the finals. This is our year. We're winning this one. And you know, the man is oozing stubborn confidence. It's hard to look at Miami's team and say, they didn't get Bradley Beal, they didn't get Damian Lillard, they lost Max Strus, they lost Gabe Vincent. How are they gonna win? How are they gonna how are they gonna get out of the East? But good luck trying to tell good luck trying to convince Jimmy Butler that they had a bad summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's the ultimate competitor. So I give him props and I give him credit for taking on that stance and saying that and saying it with conviction. But I don't see it. I don't see it. It was a tough summer for the Miami Heat, very tough summer. I don't know. You know, I don't scroll through Twitter or x whatever it's called nowadays. I don't scroll through as much as I used to. And uh, you know, I used to be on it a lot.
Speaker 3: And you're trying to make yourself sound so old. Come on, man, I am old.
Speaker 4: So we're getting up there, Stan, Come on, I'm right there with you. Stan.
Speaker 3: If you're old, I'm finished. If you're old, I'm done. I'm washed.
Speaker 4: Some people get old somebody. Some people get old faster. I think that's just what's happened to me. I wasn't old this time last year, but it's starting to hit.
Speaker 3: Me by the way. You just remind me a rival reporter who we're both fond of. I'm not going to say his name. He heard your speech about how you know you you're having all these knee issues, but that that you still put up twenty three and five at your last pickup game, and he and I have to say, I kind of I'm with him question the five assists, like, oh, we buy the twenty three points, we buy, We're not sure about the five assists.
Speaker 4: Well, tell Tim McMahon he got he got another thing. Tell him that, Tell him that he got another thing coming. Tell you if I'm playing against him, yeah, you might not see those five assists. The points are just going to go up. Yeah, if you're playing against him, don't don't tell him coming me like that, don't come.
Speaker 3: You know what, props props because he clearly, he clearly, he cly, he clearly questioned you directly to you, So props to him.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Okay, Well I still get up and if he's anywhere near the paint anywhere in the vicinity, I'm taking him along for the ride up upwards.
Speaker 3: So okay, we have to bring back the media game. We we have to bring back the game.
Speaker 4: We have to.
Speaker 3: I will not be I will not be playing. I will not be playing, but I will be I will be court side observing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will be there. Look at you. See how I guess your guess, your little anonymous veteran NBA reporter, I guess who was Like.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying, That's what I'm saying, he must have he must have said something directly to you which I got was always talking ship because I didn't. I did not give up. I did not give that up.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, he always talking ship, But Tim, I got you. But what was I saying? I'm old? Oh yeah, I don't look at Twitter as much, and so I usually, like a lot of times, I go scroll and just check out what different fans of teams are saying, saying with the narrative is seeing, you know, And I did a little bit of that from the Miami standpoint when it went down, and there was a lot of you know, as soon as the Bucks got dag, there was a lot of finger pointing, you know, finger point that pat the Miami heat. Did they offer enough? Were they aggressive? Did they what was the other where they arrogant? Did they just think that there wasn't a market for them so they didn't put forth their best offer? You know, I saw all the all those things. You know. All I can say is that, you know, from what I was told, you know, they they did everything they could to try to get into the Andy, try to get into the Dame Sweet stakes, but uh, it just didn't. It just didn't happen. So but yes, Stein, I'm with you. It's hard for me to look at that roster right now of the Miami Heat and think that they're anywhere near a favorite to be in the East Side. There'll be a championship content I mean, excuse me, there'll be a playoff contended team. They'll definitely be a hard out, because Eric Sposier coach teams are always a hard out. But they're not above the Bucks. They're not above the Celtics. I don't think they're even above the Sixers, even if James Harden is there or not. And so they got a ways to go. But stop. As you know, in the playoffs, a lot of times it's largely about where you're placed to see the path you have to get to the finals. So we'll see.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna move on to the Sixers in a minute here, but before we do, I don't know if you saw this, since since you're so old now and you don't look at you don't look at Twitter anymore. In Milwaukee, one of our listeners he only goes by at Bucks two three, three four, so he didn't leave us a name, but he clearly heard last week when I was jealous of your impending trip to Carson's for a stake, and he says, hey, you guys need to check out Carnivore.
Speaker 4: Carnivore Milwat says, I was told that last night.
Speaker 3: And then he says, we also got to go to Harbor House slash Oddly, which I hope I pronounced that right. Looks like a Greek place, and Giannis is apparently a part owner there.
Speaker 4: I heard about that too, So I went out with I went out to dinner with Spears, Spears and uh Vincent Goodwill and a few other friends and Spears new in Milwaukee area. And one of the brothers who is with us at dinner, he.
Speaker 3: Brought up that and take you guys all out.
Speaker 4: No, he did not pay for my own tab. No, no, so yeah, no, So this I wonder if this brother who I went to dinner with, is this guy that's tweeting at you because he brought up last night at dinner, he brought up Carnivores, and he brought up Jannis's place. It doesn't have a name, that's it, that's just what bucks whatever.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, there's no no, it's it's an anonymous it's an anonymous account.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't be surprised if that's him, But yeah, we got to do that. Stine hold On. I got hold on before we transitioned on STY before we transition on Stin have an announcement. So remember how I was supposed to be with the Lakers for media Day and then things change. A certain trade happened and I found myself in Milwaukee from medion Day. Well, on my schedule, I was supposed to have Sons Warriors opening night, which is fine, great great cities, Chris Paul playing against his former team. These two teams, you know, some somewhat of a history right there, KD going against the Wars. Love it right down the street from my house, an hour drive. You know, hey, cool well Stein, I have a different game opening night for T and T Milwaukee Philadelphia, so I would get to try out Carnivars and I might try out the other place. So I'm telling you this. Then my schedule could be changing periodically. Here, you know, my schedule is already out. They could be changing periodically, So you need to be ready and prepared to make that trick to Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: It's only a two I'm doing for you. You won't. You will not have to ask me more than once, because, like I said, I absolutely love Milwaukee.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you this. Let me tell you this time I put any places to go. Let me put this in your ear. Stein Live podcast hang Stein in Milwaukee, featuring a couple star guests. Come on, Stein, make it happen, Man, make it.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, Wait a minute. You you think you think they will both come to our podcast?
Speaker 4: No think, ain't no think. I know, there's no thinking.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: The oldest guarantee, that is the boldest guarantee of Media Day week that I've heard yet.
Speaker 4: Make it happen, Stein, Well, that's happen.
Speaker 3: I will pay. I will pay my own way for that. I will happily.
Speaker 4: I want you to find a venue where we're doing to that, Stein, where we're doing to that?
Speaker 3: Yeah we know, we got it. Yeah we get we gotta. I am gonna. I'm on it. Let's find a venue. Let's come to Milwaukee, and let's Milwaukee give us some bucks, fans, give us some suggestions.
Speaker 4: Where's the venue, where do we have to where do we need to do it? Do it at Come on now, give us some suggestion.
Speaker 3: That would be incredible.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I mean, realistically, I know you don't know yet for sure, but you're gonna You're gonna be in Milwaukee more than just about anywhere else this season.
Speaker 4: Do you think I wouldn't say that that might be going a little bit too far. I don't know if I want to keep making a Milwaukee trip. That's that's hard on the brother from California. There is no direct flights from the from the from the Sacramento Bay area area to Milwaukee. You know, so I don't want to go.
Speaker 3: What do you what do you fly to Chicago first? What do you do?
Speaker 4: Fly Chicago or Denver? Chicago or Denver?
Speaker 3: So you're reunited guy?
Speaker 4: No? Oh, I'm the Southwest? Guys?
Speaker 3: Was I?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right? Was my prediction correct? Remember remember when you were listing all the teams that NBA TV was supposed to be at for Media Day and they had to they had to get rid of one because because of Milwaukee. Was I correct? Was Sacramento out?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: They they kept Sacking. Oh, hold on, I didn't see anybody from Sack. You might be right, I didn't see anybody from Sack. Well.
Speaker 3: The only reason I asked you, because I figured by now you would have heard from an angry Mike Brown.
Speaker 4: No. I didn't hear from Mike. No. I didn't see anybody from Sack. I think you, I think you were a proven correct.
Speaker 3: All right, well let's let's let's uh, let's move on to uh the Philadelphia seventy six Ers, because by all accounts, James Harden is going to report. But you know it, it looks and just sounds like a mess. And I'm I mean, you tell me what I mean, Joel Embiid. Look, I mean, I guess the good news from the Sixers perspective is Joel Embiid says, you know, he didn't add any pressure, he didn't foist any more pressure on the organization. You know, he's still saying, at least for public consumption, that he believes the Sixers can compete for a championship as is. But I mean, the reality with Philadelphia is they're just beyond the Clippers. There does not appear to be a trade market for James Harden, and the Clippers know this. And the Clippers are not throwing tons of trade assets at Philly because they know they're not bidding against anyone. So Philly does not want to trade Harden based on what's on the table, which means they have to convince him to come back and play. And yes, he'll be back in the training camp fold, But does that mean, you know, he's ready to play for an organization that he publicly announced the world I will never play for an organization again that employs Darryl Morey? I mean, is he Is he really gonna live up to that claim? I mean, I guess we're gonna find out.
Speaker 4: It's it's a dangerous situation for the Sixers because Okay, yeah, he'll come back, But is he going to be engaged guy? Is he going to be a motivated guy? Is he going to be a guy that's really there to try to maximize each and every day of his talent along with his teammates. We've seen how that kind of unfolded with Houston when he went to camp and you know, he said what he had to say and people within the organization could see that, could see that he wasn't given his all, He wasn't really there even though he was there. So is that going to be the same scenario this time around? And if it is, is that really conducive to Is his presence really conducive to winning or even just providing the right type of mentality and vibe around the rest of your teammates and the organization. So I don't know, it depends on how James handles this. But if he handles this like he did in Houston, I don't see much point in having them around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't want to guess because I can't guess. You know, We're all we don't know when we know how hard how Harden is going to handle this. But I mean, you know, now that these trades have happened, now that Damian Lillard has been traded and Drew Holliday has been traded, really the overriding story of national interest is what happens next in Philadelphia? It can they get James Harden back on side. Me being the international basketball nerd that I am, you know, this story's gotten very little play over here. But the French Basketball Federation they have issued an October tenth deadline, which is basically one week from today as we're taping this podcast on a Tuesday afternoon. They've given Joel Embiid a deadline of October tenth to tell them that he is either playing in the Olympics for France next summer or not. And you know, this is a story that I've been tracking for a year now and it fascinates me because Joel Embiid, of course born in Cameroon, but he also holds a French passport, a US passport. France and the United States have been staging this behind the scenes battle to try to get Joel Embiid to make commit his international future to one or the other. And Cameroon is in last chance qualifying next July, so Joel Embiid, who has never played for Cameroon, Pascal Siakam, they has never played for Cameroon. If those two were to join forces, they should be able to lead Cameroon to an Olympic berth themselves. But in those last chance tournaments, it's certainly you know, it's four sixteen groups and only the four group winners advance, and crazy things happen in international basketball. So I know Joel Embiid wants to go with someone where he that would assure he's going to be in next summer's Olympics. That's something that he's made it clear means a lot to him. But again, I say all of that, and I run through that whole scenario knowing that I'm probably one of very few who cares about that because with the Sixers, everything right now is are they going to trade James Harden? And if they can't trade James Harden, how is that going to impact Joel Embiid's contentment level in the City of Brotherly Love. But like I said, I do find it interesting that France, which has been trying to get this commitment from Joel Embiid, has issued this firm deadline, and Joel said it media Day that he he is going to make a decision here in the next few days, which means, you know, he's he's taking that deadline seriously and he's gonna heed that deadline. But yes, I know, I just rambled for five minutes about a story that people are not tuning in. The people are probably not tuning into this podcast for that update. Sorry, can help it. Let me get international hoops Nerd here.
Speaker 4: Let me get this straight. Stiin so mb has three different options of teams in which he can play excuse me, which he can play for for the Olympics. Has that ever been yes?
Speaker 3: Because that is that is.
Speaker 4: A pretty good free agency of market to have right there, going to the yeah and.
Speaker 3: Look and look. This is a controversial topic in the world of international basketball because in recent years there has been this free agency feel where we've seen multiple instances of players basically choosing where they're gonna play. And Joejoel Embiid has never played at senior level for any country, so that's why he has this ability to choose. And look, he's been in the United States a long time now, he has a US passport, and so my issue with that really is the United States is the most talent rich basketball country in the world. They shouldn't have to just sign Joel Embiid as a free agent because they did poorly at the World Cup. And one of the other news, one of the other big headlines out of media Day was how many top players in the league came out and said they want to play in the Olympics next summer. Kevin Durant, Stephen Curry, Kawhi, Leonard Lebron, James Bradley, Beal, Devin Booker, bam Adebio and I'm leaving out five, six, seven more. The United States is going to be plenty deep enough they don't need to beg Joel Embiid to play for them next summer. But you know, in France obviously already has Rudy Gobert, Victor weinbin Yama is gonna be on the national team next summer. And France has been until this past World Cup when they flamed out crazily in the first round. France has been the closest thing to a US rival at the last at the previous two major competitions. So again, I am speaking purely for me as a basketball romantic. I would love to see Joel Embiid and Pascal Siakam team up play for Cameroon, try to win that last last chance qualifying spot and get Cameroon to the Olympics. I just think that would be an incredible story, not just for their homeland, but African basketball in general. I would Again, this is mark Stein basketball romantic speaking, and Beid's gonna do what he wants to do. It's his personal choice and he wants to be in the Olympics. He said it, yet he said it at media day. He really wants to play in the Olympics, and the risk for him is if he goes with Cameroon and he doesn't and they don't qualify. That might be his last shot. This might be his last shot at the Olympics as a twenty nine year old, you know, because he's already he'd obviously have to wait four more years. So I can I can see why it's a struggle for him.
Speaker 4: So the question I have Stean and I probably already know the answer, but just to get it confirmed. So somebody in joelnbie situation, who has three different scenarios in which he can choose from, say Joel was twenty one and he chose to play for Team France. There's no way later down the road in his thirties that he can choose a play with his hometown country. Is there any avenue for that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yes there is. And that's what That's what just happened with Eric Gordon. So Eric Gordon played, You know, people forget Eric Gordon plays for tusay as a twenty ten World Cup in Turkey. So he this summer he requested to switch allegiances and play for the Bahamas. I believe, if I have my facts right, eric Gordon's mom is from the Bahamas. If I hope, I'm remembering that correctly, maybe producer Ryan can double check us as I'm going through my answer. So basically, FEBA, the world governing body of basketball, they reserve the right that they can because when the rule and the rule book is once you've played for one country, even at junior level, but definitely at senior level, once you've represented one nation at senior level, you're not allowed to switch. Except FOEBA does reserve the right to let a player switch to another country in the best interests of basketball. And so basically what happened was Eric Gordon asked, USA Basketball, can you release me? You're not gonna call me back? Can I go play for the Bahamas now? USA Basketball said yes, So FOEBA said yes, So, yes, your scenario is correct that even Embiid could play for France or the United States now and theoretically down the road, FOEBA does have the right to let him switch and play for his native Cameroon. But if he played for France next summer at age twenty nine and wanted to switch to Cameroon at age thirty seven, France would have to surrender his international rights and then FOEBA would bless.
Speaker 4: It got you got you.
Speaker 3: But see it is it isn't interesting, it is an interesting topic is it is only about these It's only about you know again, nobody in Philly is too worried about this right now because they got much bigger concerns. But I was really hoping that this was going to be addressed at media Day, and I got my wish. They went into it. Joel gave his most detailed answer on the subject yet.
Speaker 4: Well, the Sixers won't be fine without Joel Ebid and they need to make.
Speaker 3: Like I said, like I said, Sixers fans listening to this going, why you stein talking about this for ten minutes? We got real issues.
Speaker 4: You gotta let them go.
Speaker 3: I do I do you know? I you know what it is. I remember in my in about a decade ago at ESPN, Kevin Arnovitz, our former ESPN colleague, said something to the effect of, you can really tell when you're covering international basketball, like your your joy for the game really shines even more like and I I don't know why, I just I just love I love the international game. I always have. And the NBA has become such an international sport with one hundred plus guys every season from other countries. So when they go play for their countries, it it fascinates me.
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 3: It's a different on shorter game. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: You have not.
Speaker 3: You were you, you were gonna go to an Olympics, but you didn't, right like you you still last?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have not. I was supposed to do the last one. I can't remember what happened. I don't know if I was in a contract summer, I forgot something happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you will eventually do one. You'll do Paris in twenty four, you'll do La in twenty eight, and you're gonna do an international tournament and you're gonna and you're gonna come back and tell me you were right. I love this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean everybody, everybody who's covered this league for a significant amount of time who has also covered the Olympics say you have to cover one Olympics, you have to go. So yeah, I got to get that under under my belt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, knock on wood, I got to do three. I don't think I probably I don't foresee doing another Olympics, but I am grateful for the three of cover. All right, that should do it for this edition of this league uncut hopefully by the next time Chris and I get together, will have more clarity on the latest with James Harden, all thirty teams in the league back to work now. Everybody is on the practice floor, writers like Chris and I are. We're making our reservations at various hotels. We're plotting our travel. Although you do a hell of a lot more travel than me. I kind of live through you now on the travel front.
Speaker 4: But well, I wish I was going. You're where you're going next.
Speaker 3: I'll say that, Yes, I I am. I guess I can. I haven't reveal you don't have to. You know what I'm not.
Speaker 4: You don't have to.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna. I will reveal it. I will reveal it soon. But yes, my my next stop, my next stop is is one of my favorite cities in the world. And uh and it sure ain't bad star.
Speaker 4: This was not this league uncut. It was this world uncut. We we we we just stick to the NBA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder how many I'm really hoping we don't get a bunch of complaints talking.
Speaker 2: About man.
Speaker 4: This world for months.
Speaker 3: I can't help it, America, I love my hoops. Cannot help it. No, You're if you're old, I'm ancient.
Speaker 4: Okay, you can still dunk.
Speaker 3: You can still dunk, so so can what's it? So can my zero?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say a media day, did you and Marcus Johnson talk about Dunky?
Speaker 4: I didn't see him. He wasn't there, all.
Speaker 3: Right, So so the next time you're the next time you're on assignment in Milwaukee, you have to check in with him and see because yeah, every year he throws one down, puts it on puts it on Twitter. I think you should dunk and put it on Twitter. I think I think the people would love to see that.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, We'll.
Speaker 3: Got Tim McMahon to stand under. We'll get Tim McMahon to stand under the basket.
Speaker 4: Ooh, I would love that. I would love that. Now, he'll foul the ship out of me, Starle. He'll a foul of shit. He's already let me know about that.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 4: I gotta catch him slip.
Speaker 3: Maybe the Celtics should sign him because he's six fouls for sure. He is six definite foul. All Right, we've blathered on enough. That's gonna do it for this edition of this league uncut. Please if you haven't already subscribe to the show, rate the show, review the show. Chris and I and producer Ryan will be back soon with another episode. Promise. Thanks for listening everybody.
Speaker 2: And that'll do it for us. See you next time.
Speaker 1: This league uncut it is and iHeartRadio production.
Speaker 2: Chris Haines and Mark Stein. I didn't care.