Speaker 1: Now really.
Speaker 2: Really now, really well and welcome to really know really, but Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden, who remind you that we're still patiently waiting for you to subscribe to our show. So TikTok, And speaking of TikTok, it has been in the news in a big way lately, delisted banned under Biden, then relisted under Trump. But for how long will the band stick? Will the Chinese government continue to allegedly manipulate Americans with disinformation? Or will it divest and sell to a third party. One man who may well know the answers to all these questions is billionaire Frank McCourt, who is attempting to buy TikTok and transform not only the app, but the Internet itself. Really no, really, He is working with a cabal of investors, including mister Beast, Shark Tanks, Kevin O'Leary, and perhaps even our own Howie Mandel, to buy TikTok and transform it into a virtual Internet to point oh that gives individuals you ownership of your data. Revolutionary idea publicity stunt, or a better, safer.
Speaker 1: Internet of the future.
Speaker 2: Jason Alexander couldn't make it for this episode to find out, so he reached out to another Baldyat to fill in in fact, an even balder guy and a big friend of the show, mister Howie Mandel. So here are two guys who are our own personal dealer, no deal, Peter and Hollie.
Speaker 1: What is that I shouldn't put this on here because it's a It's okay, it's branded, but you can always use a brand. Really no, really, So I just want to welcome ever body to really know, really, and with Peter Tilden and Jason Alexander, Jason not here today really really no really, So we said, is there anyone bald they can fill in for? Jason? And Howie Mendel was sitting in here, which is weird. You sitting here between shooting your pocket could go daze and you're just in here.
Speaker 3: I just haven't left, and I would say anyhow to I watch you and Jason, and I know what you're gonna say. I love your show. I watch your show, and you're gonna say, really, no, really, I'm serious, and that I do you you really?
Speaker 1: You know I love it. The emphasis to show that you're not lying is the finger you went. I do I'm a parent. I do. I'm a parent. I have to do that for your kids. You have to say sit down and I mean it. Yeah, I mean it. I mean it. In today's episode is TikTok is in the news. And I don't know if you know this, but the statistics are that one hundred and seventy million Americans use it. One third of those are under fourteen. And we have Frank McCourt on, who was we know him here as the owner of the Dodgers. But Frank is trying to buy TikTok with the guy from Shark Tank, Kevin O'Leary and mister Bees, which is to me, who you know and Jim to me, he's Jimmy.
Speaker 3: I think there are worldwide billions of people that are uploading TikTok on really, no, really, we are going to have some inside information right now. We are going to get that nobody will the person that might be instrumental inktok and be instrumental in how it works, how it continues to work, what if there's any changes, if there's anything is coming up, and whether you are a fifteen year old girl that is coming up with a new dance or somebody who is really concerned about the future of our safety because information may be leaked to a perceived enemy. This is the guy that has the answer. So nobody's going to turn away right now.
Speaker 1: You know that. They say the whole generation is getting all their information from TikTok.
Speaker 3: If you can control a software, any kind of software, and TikTok is probably one of the most prevalent softwares right now in our world, whether it's America on our plane, they can get into once you can control that, even if it's just Charlie Demilio who made millions dancing, they could get into through her bank account, into a bank in America, and then through once you're inside the bank, you can get more information.
Speaker 1: It's like a never ending But they also and I know you do this too. We've had this conversation in between waiting between shows. The album is going to feed you only what it wants to knows the more they can sell you. People live in people live in their own algorithms.
Speaker 3: Anyhow, I was having a discussion earlier today with somebody and I said, they said, what is your fear of the world? And I feel, whether you're on social media or not, most people and I say this as somebody who travels a lot from place to place. Tomorrow I'm going to be in Fargo. But what I find is, and you might know this, is that wherever you go, the average person doesn't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: I will land.
Speaker 3: A guy in his fifties will pick me up and tell me he's never been on a plane before. And our parents of our generation, everybody that came into the house looked the same, had the same socioeconomic kind of level. And so people don't that's your algorithm.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 3: My mom used to call me from a condo and you go, you know what everybody likes.
Speaker 1: No, you don't know what everybody likes. That's your choice. Now you're getting fed information whether you like it or not. Let's go, you know we should do. Go to Frank. Let's go to Frank. Frank.
Speaker 4: How are you guys?
Speaker 1: I'm good, Frank. I don't know if you remember me. I was at KBC.
Speaker 4: I do remember you.
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm good?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: How are you?
Speaker 4: How are you doing? How you How have you guys been bearing up with the LA situation?
Speaker 1: There always okay, I'm living in one room with my family right now because I had to flee the Pala States. So it's been a tough time and it's a real tough time.
Speaker 3: And the fact that he is sitting here today broadcasting and here for you is our ultimate Really, no, really, this guy's been it was a little tough through it's still tough.
Speaker 1: Good thanks Frank, thank you for that, and sorry.
Speaker 4: You're going through it.
Speaker 6: I have two boys still living out in La So there's a whole group of people whose lives are upside down now and kids that are just everything that they you know, they thought everything was safe and great and.
Speaker 4: Now that's right.
Speaker 1: Well, very exactly. Thank God for TikTok But let's let's so let's do this. Welcome Frank, mister Frank McCourt, who I knew from the Dodgers when you were in La. So, Frank McCourt is trying to buy TikTok Son. Why don't you give us some context to how that, How are you doing that, who you're doing it with? And do they want to sell do they even want to sell?
Speaker 6: Well personal great to be with you guys and appreciate your interest in the subject. And and Peter, I'm really glad you started with La Connection because that was my early epiphany here. I mean you you you know what I went through out there during during my very public divorce, and it was you know, very uncomfortable, humiliating, you know, and to be battered around by social media.
Speaker 4: It's just it's not a good feeling. That was my first glimpse.
Speaker 6: And I'm not asking you to be sorry for me, because I'm doing great and everything worked out, you know, worked out for me, but it was I really saw that social media had become weaponized.
Speaker 4: It's it just favors my behavior.
Speaker 6: And I ended up selling the Dodgers for you know, a ton of dough and worked out great, and I thought I'd do something positive with what I had learned. So that's when I shifted gears and in twenty nineteen launched this project Project Liberty. Committed a half a billion dollars to it to actually go back to my roots, which are infrastructure roots. My family's been building infrastructure for five generations. When I started Project Liberty, I had no idea that there was going to be legislation banned TikTok, But when it happened, I thought it was just, you know, an incredible opportunity to buy us TikTok. Move the user base, the one hundred and seventy million Americans over to a new clean stack where they're not exploited, they're not survelled, their data is not taken from them, they own their data, they can get value forward.
Speaker 4: And if we can get.
Speaker 6: One hundred and seventy million Americans over, then we have an alternative Internet that we can actually use.
Speaker 1: Can I ask questions?
Speaker 3: So my question to you is, I understand that the reason and the fear that people have toward TikTok is that a perceived enemy, namely China, has access to whatever information has been put into this bite dance. You would in purchasing if that should go through in purchasing a TikTok, do I, as a TikTok user, have to re up with whatever your platform is or it does it does it automatically come out of byte dance into your stack and they already have that information?
Speaker 1: Is that erased in some way? Like what is the safety?
Speaker 6: Great great question, and first answer is yes, you would. TikTok users would go ahead and the experience would be very similar to the experience today. They would be able to enjoy TikTok and use TikTok and be connected just like people are today, but in lieu of being surveilled and having their data scrade and being subject to you know, to missing disinformation because once China has your data, then they can go ahead and feed you information. Right in lieu of that, you would be permissioning the use of your data with others, and you would actually be able to get value for your data as well. So the user experience very similar, the look and feel the same, but it would empower the one hundred and seventy million people on TikTok rather than just the platform that is that is taking advantage of them.
Speaker 4: So that's that's the difference.
Speaker 3: As a user, I have eleven million followers on TikTok right now. So the one hundred and seventy million Americans who have accumulated this kind of following and this kind of audience, as I look at them, I would have to abandon what is now TikTok to go to your Why would I give up those eleven million followers who are on TikTok.
Speaker 4: Okay, So it's actually just the opposite.
Speaker 6: Howie, I met with twenty of the top influencers on TikTok at the time we were announcing the bid, because I wanted to make sure we weren't king to just get blown out of the water by the major influences on TikTok. Right when we announced this bid, so I hosted at dinner out in Malibu with twenty of them that have over one hundred million of one hundred and seventy million followers or people following that month on TikTok, and I came away with incredible insight into what they like and what they don't like about the platform. And what they don't like about the platform are two things. Number One, they post a interesting video and they it goes viral and they're famous and they love it. They post another video that's very similar in their mind and it's nothing. Nothing happens, and they have no idea why on TikTok because it's it's a content graph, not social graph technology, meaning it's content that gets amplified. Right, it's not people are following, not Hollowie, but content that Howie posts on TikTok. The influences on TikTok don't They don't know who they're following. They don't have any insight int who that community is, unlike the other social media platforms that are social graphic based. So when we told them that they would not only know who their followers are, but they would own them. We won't own them or byte dance wouldn't own them, they would own their relationships. Wanted to make very very important for your listeners to understand. It's not that China has data on one hundred and seventy million Americans.
Speaker 4: That's the worst part of this.
Speaker 6: It's that China can feed information to one hundred and seventy million Americans. That suits China to get those one hundred and seventy million.
Speaker 4: People to believe it.
Speaker 6: Half of the people that use TikTok are getting all their news from TikTok, and only one percent of that news quote unquote is coming from reliable sources.
Speaker 4: It's just information that may or may not be correct or or verified.
Speaker 6: So it's not like resource news that's been validated. It's the manipulation of people that that freaked out Congers.
Speaker 1: So Frank here asking a couple of questions. Number one, how do you monitor I can hear people yelling about your house to monetize his platform? Number one? Number two are you going to get one hundred and seventy million? And the third part of that is does this company White Dance put a name by way, do they want to sell? Do you have a shot at this or how's this moving along? And what if they say no?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 6: So if the Chinese Communist Party or the founder and controlling shareholder by Dance, either of them or both of them decide not to sell it, to shut it down, it's game over.
Speaker 4: Okay, we don't control that outcome.
Speaker 6: If they agree to sell it, then it gets interesting for us because it's not going to go just to the highest bidder. It's going to someone that can actually solve for the national security issues, which means a complete disentanglement from the Chinese technology, which means you need to have a tech stack to move the user base and the data over to If you don't have that, then you can't bid. That's where Project Liberty came in because we had been building a tech stack for four and a half years and it was up and running, so otherwise we wouldn't be a.
Speaker 4: Bitter for this.
Speaker 6: As far as the model, the economic model, there will be advertising in this new world, but rather than have advertising to be based on scraping our data, profiling us, pushing ads towards us, in other words, targeting us, maybe sending us some stuff that's relevant, and maybe sending us a lot of stuff that's a nuisance.
Speaker 4: Why not shift from.
Speaker 6: An attention economy to an intention economy where you want to buy something competer Just go online and say you're I'm a real person. I can verify that I'm a person. I'm not a bot, or I'm not pretending I'm Howie. You can withhold your your name as I'm interested in buying still in the blank, show me what.
Speaker 3: You have as somebody who is on social media and a big probably a bigger part of what I do is on social media than what people know me for on television. My question to you is, why would you buy TikTok when for the last four years you have built a stack that can actually handle that kind of business. Why wouldn't you just launch that and offer something more.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you something.
Speaker 3: I make money on YouTube, I make money on other platforms. The hardest place for me to make money is on TikTok, even with a supposedly eleven million followers. Why don't you just offer a big you know, because that's what's driven the influencer or the creator to those platforms. Why would you waste money and buy TikTok when you can just replicate and do it yourself.
Speaker 6: Well, and we we are and we will, so we're not putting all of our eggs in this basket.
Speaker 4: This is just a would be an incredible way to.
Speaker 6: Actually turn a problem into a solution. So take something that's a threat to the country, turn it into a new Internet that's better for people and how you know, as well as anyone the most challenging part of of any new tech idea on the Internet is how do you get adoption right? How do you get how do you create traction? And this money instant traction, that's it.
Speaker 1: That's not money.
Speaker 4: That's the benefit to us.
Speaker 6: We're building this alternative Internet with or without TikTok.
Speaker 3: But if you took the money that you were kind of allocating to buy the brand as it were, if you took that money and play and paid it to the creators, I think that people are following. That's why they're called influencers. If you own the influencers, if you own those top twenty people that you talk to in Malibu, and you paid them enough, people are going to follow as you said, they follow the content. So if you could buy the content, then you could get it without actually buying then and you could relegate TikTok to you know almost nothing without buying it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: If you could buy the content, then you could get it without actually buying then. Yeah, and you could relegate TikTok to you know, almost nothing without buying it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And that's why we call it the people's bit because our whole point of view here is I want to green Bay packer this thing, just like the fans on the packers. I want the influencers to own a big chunk of this business. We believe our premises the current Internet is fundamentally broken. It's doing more damage than it's doing good. It's doing good things, but it's doing a lot of bad things.
Speaker 4: And and and.
Speaker 6: Our premise is that the reason why it's creating the harms and doing the damage that it's doing is because it was never designed to do what it was doing. When the inventors of the Internet, when Tim Berners lead, the inventor of the World Wide Web, set it up, it was not imagine that it was going to connect billions of people without any rules of the road whatsoever, and so it's amplifying bad stuff. Look at look at the our information ecosystem. It's hard to tell facts from fiction.
Speaker 3: But everybody not only but not only digitally, like even regular mainstream media is tough to believe.
Speaker 6: I and can guess what mainstream media did when the Internet became the predominant means of communication. What everybody everybody sat around in those conventional media boardrooms when they were deciding what was going to be the headline of the day or what was going to go on the the you know, the traditional newscast, it was what's trending. And what was missed in this whole equation is what trends online is not the most researched news, the most important story, even not even a factually accurate story. It's what gets the most followers. And we've learned that what gets the most followers is the most extreme and that doesn't mean it's at all accurate. So our information system has been completely contaminated under a I know that money is a great incentive for people, and if people just stop for a second look at the value of these five or seven companies, it's it's you based on our data. That's that's that's what creates the value of the enterprise. And it's only going to get bigger and bigger and bigger with AI.
Speaker 4: People. If if people, if people own.
Speaker 6: And control their their data and permission it's use, then they're going to get They're going to.
Speaker 4: Set the terms. Imagine an Internet Peter.
Speaker 6: We're rather than clicking mindlessly on the terms and conditions of use of a few platforms giving up everything for a free app, the new apps are clicking on your terms and conditions.
Speaker 4: Of use for your data.
Speaker 6: But can I If it's some use case that's going to cure cancer, you're going to say you can have my data on an anonymous basis.
Speaker 4: If it's a commercial thing, you're going to say, I want to get taped.
Speaker 3: But Frank, Frank all all. You know, I'm just going to be you know, totally. I don't think the average person that is on TikTok really cares about their data. I don't think the average person on TikTok really cares about what China is going to do with my bank account, which China is going to want you. You did explain to me that the bigger deal is that they'll be able to push miscombation in my way, and maybe that'll kind of convince me to do you know their agenda. That being said, if you want to push people off TikTok, wich you didn't answer.
Speaker 1: Was the question I asked, why don't?
Speaker 3: Because money does drive movement, Why don't you just offer all this money that you your conglomerate is putting together to the actual users. I promise you that the average person, whether you're fifteen years old, whether you're five years old, will go on I'd rather dance on TikTok and on your TikTok and get big money. Whereas when I dance on my TikTok, even with the eleven million viewers, people like to accumulate numbers. They they're more fascinated with accumulating dollars. I'd rather dance on yours, and you give me the money and save the money that you want to give bike dance, give it to me, and I promise you I and everybody I know will be dancing on your platform.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I'm sorry, I thought I answered that question by saying, card a pull up the people's bid because we want the influencers we if we're successful in buying it, to come on over and incentivize them to come over because they're getting paid and they're going to own a piece of the equity. And what I intended on communicating is if we're unsuccessful because byt Dance shuts it down or because someone else buys it, not us, then we're going to continue to chug along doing what we're doing and incentivize people to.
Speaker 4: Move to this new world.
Speaker 6: And and part of that incentive will be influencers and creators and so forth getting paid. And by the way, it will also be regular Joe sixpack getting paid for his data. Everybody will get paid for their data, and those that have data that's more valuable like yours, will get paid eleven million times more. So it's not that, but everybody is in this party because everybody is producing data all day long that is driving that is driving the value of these companies. And so by all means, we're gonna we're going to carry on here with or without a successful bid for daytime.
Speaker 1: Okay. And by the way, is mister beasts.
Speaker 4: Part of this, Mister Beast, is that Jimmy's part of every bid.
Speaker 1: He's very friendly with Jimmy. I'm the only one who's not friendly with Himming. So he's part of every bid and others. I know, you have the guy who is involved in the beginning of the Internet, is part of your consortium, correct.
Speaker 6: All the people that build these We have two parts of Project Liberty. One part is a commercial part, because this has to be a vibrant commercial system to ever happen and be real with lots of people using at building and making money. And then there's a not for profit piece, which is where a lot of the academics and the universities and the people they just want to fix this mess sit. We're suggesting there needs to be another simple, poorlier protocol.
Speaker 4: Nobody owns it. Everybody owns it.
Speaker 6: It's open source that connects us for the first time. We should be a person on the Internet. After fifty years of Internet technology, not a device. You and I are still and I I have an ID address, We're still a device on the Internet. We're not a person, and that's fundamentally part of the problem.
Speaker 1: Can I be part of the consortium? And by the way, I was just going to say, I was going to say goodbye to you. Thank you, Frank, But do know I know how we well enough. I know thirty plus years he's raring to be part of this order. I want to be.
Speaker 3: I actually think what you're doing. And I hadn't spoken to anybody. I spoke to Kevin a little bit. Kevin has been here in the office and I talked to him. And I have my own issues that I would like to because I do believe that aside from whatever the dangers that you foresee, the personal dangers that the Internet is kind of putting upon us with mental health, it's and I would imagine on your platform there will be guardrails in as far as what that content is. It's not only misinformation, even if it's real information. People are getting hurt by it. And there needs to be a much more responsible way to broadcast any of this and be transparent.
Speaker 6: So I would love to be a small tell yourself in this is the people fit we want it. The more I want to help create a new Internet that we all can benefit from.
Speaker 3: So are you going to replicate Instagram and YouTube and all these other platforms?
Speaker 1: Is that what your goal is?
Speaker 4: It's it's it. They will all be replicated. I'm not going to replicate the more.
Speaker 6: There'll be millions of people building on this new infrastructure and it will be far far better. You know what I want your listeners to to think about, is we hear dabted that you. I heard you say. People don't care about their privacy. People don't care about this, We don't think about it. I want everybody to understand, your data is you. It's your personhood. It's literally you in the digital age. Why in the world would we want to let someone else own us. It's ridiculous. It's time to take back what's ours, build a better version of the Internet.
Speaker 4: We now know what this thing is capable of. Let's just fix it.
Speaker 1: Frank, I want to say thanks for coming on. One critique of you though. You got to start thinking big and then you got to start opening up outside of them. Really, thank you for coming on and explaining that it's it's in the You're welcome.
Speaker 4: Let's fix it and enjoy it. Keep our kids safe.
Speaker 1: Thank you, buddy. Thanks for coming on, Frank. Important, we're talking to a hero. Look. I hope I hope it worked out. I hope it works out the way that it was explained that you can do it. And uh thanks for coming up. Oh look who's here? Look who's here? So we can see Uh, you know we should have place uside on the internet. Look at the friggin' bell. That's what we need.
Speaker 3: I'm a stunt double on this episode of Really, Really you did I?
Speaker 1: Did?
Speaker 7: I go to Chicago hope and budget? And did I? What other thing were you in? Do I go to deal or no deal? And go I have a better deal? Do I what what?
Speaker 1: Rob Court and.
Speaker 5: Frank McCourt shows up and now all of a sudden, save the.
Speaker 3: World, buddy, And I mean that really no, really, he's gonna save the world and you missed it?
Speaker 1: Where were you?
Speaker 5: And I still benefit from this your show?
Speaker 1: Did you have a doctor? Was that where you were a doctor's?
Speaker 5: Look at me?
Speaker 7: I got I don't know if you can say I got a bandage?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 5: I got a bandage.
Speaker 1: She happened to you? Did you fall? It? Was it an elective?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: I didn't fall. You move the date of our tape?
Speaker 1: I didn't. I don't move any have no power in that.
Speaker 5: I waited a month to get this doctor appointment.
Speaker 7: I live in pain, Peter, not psychic pain like you, real physical pain.
Speaker 1: And It's not often you see a Jew complaining.
Speaker 7: I went to I had to go to Cedars to my hand doctor.
Speaker 5: I have ten denyed this. This I have is Frank.
Speaker 7: Can Frank McCourt pay for my medical conditions?
Speaker 1: You know what? Let's say, Frank be saving the world. But you know what, daff Frank up again, Jason's.
Speaker 3: I'll fill you in on what's happened so far. In the meantime, come take your seat.
Speaker 1: By the way, here's what you here's a big part of what you missed. I'm part of. You couldn't been a partner. There's gonna be breakthrough of a brand new Internet. And I'm sitting next to the guy I'm in the Consortium of Internet. He's right there.
Speaker 3: If you want such a Fetch, which is that the name of the site production name?
Speaker 1: We need a new name for the Internet. Do you have a name for that new Frank?
Speaker 5: What was wrong with what you said? I thought Fetch was very good.
Speaker 8: I'm dancing on him Fetch today. Did you catch my I didn't renegate on Fetch. I catched seven or eight times today, knocked out party. Frank, by the way, he's not Frank.
Speaker 1: Here we go buddy. Look, come in lady, gentlemen. Frank McCourt.
Speaker 7: Hi, Frank, let's start from the beginning. You know what, why what do you do for a living? I'm not familiar with you.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be one at this one and every one of those. I'll explain to you what happened, why you were going at the doc.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if you could. I don't want to take too much time, Can I say? Can I make an observation? And I don't mean to be this guy, but for a man who does a well as Frank mcca, I'm not that impressed with the room.
Speaker 1: That he's in. You don't realize that out that window was seven thousand acres. Well, remember the.
Speaker 7: Guy that we talked to that also knew the Internet, the early guy, and he had like he had a room.
Speaker 1: We thought, of course he was gymrasium. He was. It was so big a silicon volley.
Speaker 7: I'll take you to lunch because I feel terrible that I missed our interview.
Speaker 1: It's on me. I wouldn't even put you out. I hold you up.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna hold you to that.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna hold Mandel to him joining the big People's bit for TikTok.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 7: I ask a question you can how did it go? Did you enjoy how he's company?
Speaker 1: How is it? You know what? How he was really more than me? Yeah, because I was interested he was buying TikTok now he's eleven million followers, How he was investing with him, how he was really interested in in the influencer part of this, and how Frank could if he doesn't buy TikTok maybe still launch his initiative. What she's going to do. Yeah, I can't wait to hear this episode.
Speaker 7: This is gonna be my favorite episode because I won't anything that happened.
Speaker 1: No, you will, you wire, Oh, because it's going to be new to you. It's all going to be new to me. You'll hear it.
Speaker 7: It's as my mother says, Richard poor, you can do anything with money.
Speaker 1: No, it's good to see you. It was nice. And how he was here. We had we had him starting.
Speaker 7: By the way, seriously, thanks you having Billy, and that was really lovely. I got I got button traffic. And how he's now going to be poor. God knows you couldn't do this on your own. So I'm so glad how he was here oh did I go Google?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 7: David, by the way, last episode he laughed at that.
Speaker 1: Okay, goodbye day. So David, what what do you see?
Speaker 7: What do you hear that that was lacking? We didn't ask for a lot that was lacking. I'm sure when I'm not here, there's a big lie.
Speaker 1: It didn't have enough hair right with Yeah, I'm glad.
Speaker 4: Laurie has told me that we have to wrap it up anyway without me.
Speaker 1: You guys were so on the money, it's amazing. Well I have no money. Those two credit the money. No, we're the money and now how it's an interesting it's an interesting topic. It's going to be interesting to really and to see what happens with white dance and China. Hey, look at you, and you're just in time to say goodby Dia. Next time on Really No, Now Really.
Speaker 2: As another episode of Really No Really comes to a close, I know you're wondering how much money do social media apps make and where's that money coming from? Well, I'll add it all up for you in a moment, but first let's thank our guest, Frank McCourt. You can follow Frank on his company website McCourt dot com. And you can follow the progress of his Project to Liberty and the attempt to purchase tik dot on the websites projectiliberty dot io or the People's Bid dot com. You can also follow on Instagram and x where it is at pro underscore Jet to Liberty. Find all pertinent links in our show notes, our little show hangs out on Instagram, TikTok YouTube, and threads at really No Really podcasts. And of course you can share your thoughts and feedback with us online.
Speaker 5: At reallynoreally dot com.
Speaker 2: If you have a really some amazing factor story that boggles your mind, share it with us and if we use it, we will send you a little gift. Nothing life changing, obviously, but it's the thought that counts. Check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bell so you're updated when we release new videos and episodes, which we do each Tuesday. So listen and follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. And now the answer to the question how much money do social media apps make and where's that money coming from? Well, in lieu of subscriptions or membership bees social media apps like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok x, and YouTube make their money from advertising, commercials and banner ads galore. The total take for these apps is nearly impossible to uncover, but in twenty twenty three, nearly eleven billion dollars of that revenue came from US based users younger than eighteen years old.
Speaker 1: It's right.
Speaker 2: The vast majority of social media advertising is focused on children, and of that eleven million, eight point six billion came from users thirteen to seventeen, while two point one came from users under the age of twelve. YouTube, Instagram, and Facebook were the favorites of the twelve and under group, while Instagram also led on users thirteen to seventeen, followed by TikTok and YouTube. In December of twenty twenty three, a Harvard research team wrote, as concerns about youth mental health grows, more and more policymakers are trying to introduce legislation to curtail social media platform practices that may drive depression, anxiety, and disordered eating in young people. Although social media platforms clean, they can self regulate their practices to reduce the harms to young people, they have yet to do so.
Speaker 1: And our study suggests.
Speaker 2: They have overwhelming financial incentives to continue to delay taking meaningful steps to prit children. And with that, folks, it's good to know that the madness that is the Internet is specifically designed to engage people under the age of twelve. So hold that thought next time you're doom scrolling. And here's to Frank mccourton. Internet two point zero really, no, really is production of iHeartRadio and Blase Entertainment.