Speaker 1: Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm not normally a tir person, No really, but you're rocking it.
Speaker 3: I gotta be honest, there's some things that are just made for people, and I think trs are made for me.
Speaker 2: Now, is this a toy, Tiara or is this a tr that's worth several hundred million dollars with the size of the Yeah, the pink diamond at the front.
Speaker 3: And to be honest, I'm almost positive this is like an exact replica of what is used in this movie, like so similar. This is what I was like, Oh, I've got that one.
Speaker 2: And that perfectly brings us to today's wonderful film. Well, we'll see if it's wonderful actually, But first, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the waves tsunamis, and everyone called me Lord William, I'm Wilferdel.
Speaker 3: And I am Lady Sabrina Bryant.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and we're a pretty good dynamic duo. But this week we have quite the dynamic duo to review.
Speaker 1: It's a movie with.
Speaker 2: Not one, but two of the channel's biggest and brightest modern day stars princesses who have gone on to big.
Speaker 1: And bright adult careers.
Speaker 2: It's two thousand and nine s dcom coming of age comedy starring Demi Lovado and Selena Gomez, The Princess Protection Program. If you have a problem with popping peas or alliteration, turn your channels off right now, because we're going to be popping peas all day as we talk once again about the Princess Protection Program, say that three times fast, please, Princess Protection Program.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: So, the movie debuted on June twenty six, two thousand and nine, to a very large audience of eight point five million viewers. It nearly doubled the viewership of CBS that night and won the overall time slot. That's pretty big, and Princess Protection Program or PPP won two thousand and nine's Teen Choice Award for Choice Summer Movie and Choice Summer TV went to Salina Gomez, who beat out Demi Lovado for the same movie. The director also took home the DJA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in a Children's Program. So this is a big win all around for the Disney brand. Also, I did notice something a little unique about this movie. It debuted on the channel June twenty sixth, and then was released on DVD four days later. That is a crazy turnaround that we haven't seen before. But you do, of course see similar plans working out in twenty twenty six with same day streaming releases, but Princess Protection Program was apparently way ahead of its time PPP, which is like like I call it, or just peace it would be p cubed. P Cubed was filmed in Puerto Rico between March and April of two thousand and eight, marking the first Disney original movie shot there.
Speaker 1: Sabrina, Have you been to Puerto Rico? Yes?
Speaker 3: And the funny thing is is I feel like it was in two thousand and eight. That was the first time I went there. We did a Cheetah Girls concert. Cool, we took our tour to Puerto Rico and that being a big deal for the channel. So I'm going like that like struck me. When I saw that it was it was filmed there, I was like, Ooh, I wonder if there was something bigger that we of course are in our own law la Land don't realized that happening within the Channel, and then I've been back several times. I got when I was doing the Dancing with the Stars live on cruises, we were in the Caribbean and that was one of the big ports we went to.
Speaker 1: So, I what is Puerto Rico?
Speaker 3: Like I hear, it's beautiful, It's gorgeous, and it's got just super unique vibes about it. A lot of the school buses are like painted and all cool rigged up and stuff like. It's just got a really happy, awesome vibe and also a lot of historic, historical things that you could just walk around and go see, and you know, you can do the island pretty quickly, and it's just food's great there everything. I've never had a bad time in Puerto Rico.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta go on. It's definitely a bucketless place for me.
Speaker 2: Production utilized, speaking of some of this historic stuff, they utilize some of historic buildings like the Collegio s and Ignacio de Loyola and a karazzio lake in Tuhula, Alto.
Speaker 1: I think I said all those right.
Speaker 2: This movie also involved on in the channel's most original marketing plans. Disney promoted the film's premiere by offering never before seen episodes of their original series Wizards of Waverley Place and Sonny with a chance as an online reward if viewers could correctly count the number of times the words princess or princesses were spoken during the film. It's like a Disney version of a drinking game.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: They encourage kids not to drink, but to enter the correct answer into their website and reap the benefits. And you don't just cast Demi and Selena without taking their music seriously. And PPP had two original songs. One is a duet between the two superstars called One and the Same, written by former pop star Vitamin C.
Speaker 1: I just said a whole bunch of words.
Speaker 3: I don't understand that much. Wow.
Speaker 1: I love Vitamin C. I take it every day.
Speaker 3: She's sang a song graduation.
Speaker 1: I believe so Vitamin C is a woman, Okay it is.
Speaker 3: And she had this bright just like radiant red hair, Okay, very cool looking.
Speaker 1: Like that's also very very good for health.
Speaker 2: And the other is by Disney dude who we you know. I'd love to say friend of the pod, but he's not. We like him, but he just doesn't like us. Apparently Mitchell Musso called The Girl Can't Help It. Both songs made it onto Disney Channel compilation album later, but the movie also licensed tracks from Levado, Diana Page, and another group KSM, which, believe it or not, I am familiar with KSM. That's not even a joke. There was an all girl band movie that my friend was going to do and we did a table read with KSM. They were all very nice, cool. One crazy fact I found online. Originally Selena was set to play Rosie, which Demi ended up playing, and Demi was set to play Carter, but Isn't decided to switch their parts just before filming and it worked out in my opinion, and apparently the actresses felt the same way. And the lore between these two stars goes back really far. I don't claim to be any expert, so I'm gonna need some help with the tea. But these two were apparently best friends who first met on the set of Barney, but then one of them started dating the Purple Dinosaur.
Speaker 1: It made the other one really.
Speaker 3: Jealous, very awkward.
Speaker 1: They have since drifted.
Speaker 2: I love you and you both love me, and now you're not even friendly.
Speaker 1: Uh sorry, we just made that up, but for some reason it worked, thank you.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they drifted apart since they've confirmed they are no longer friends, well close friends anyway, but quote unquote support each other from a distance, which is a nice way of saying they hate each other, but they don't want anybody on Instagram to know that. Over the years, this movie has also supplied the Internet with its fair share of memes. One is a slightly demonic laughing shot of Evado. Another quotes that I hate you back and forth the main characters have. But yes, this movie is now seen as beautifully cringey and thus ready for the memes.
Speaker 1: And you can watch all three p's right now, gotcha. So I'm gonna see saying pee all day. It's so strange and I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: But in the future, for producers, if we can avoid saying three p's and available to stream right next to each other, I would really appreciate that on Disney Plus.
Speaker 1: But of course it is. You can tinkle these two girls now, I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 2: You can see, all right, see these two girlies when they were still best these before our recap or after, we suggest it's going to be fun calling all of your friends over to view it as a group, but first draw straws don't explain why or what any of the rules are. Then once they've selected announced, it's fine. I'll just watch it later and send them all home good luck. I think that'll be fun, Sabrina the question du jour? Did you know anything about PPP before watching it for the podcast?
Speaker 3: Not? Except for I knew that there was a d com and this was like the greatest timing because they were so close. Both their shows were such big hits. Mey's career for singing was really starting to thrive. Like I remember the rumbling and how awesome it was, but I had never watched I knew it was called Princess something, and that was kind of it. But okay, when I tell you this was on our list, I was so excited to finally actually sit down and watch this movie because I love both of them in different ways. I think both of them are incredible, and I mean it was I was really excited to watch.
Speaker 1: Okay, knock knock, who's there? I'd never heard of this movie before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, if we could all please rise for the pride of Coastalluna. It's the synopsis A princess, whose country has been invaded, goes into hiding in Louisiana, where she has to learn to act like an ordinary teenager. What were your early thoughts on Princess Protection Program?
Speaker 1: Did you like it? Did you not like it? Easy watch? What was it for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? To me, it was an easy watch. There were some of this stuff that I was looking at. The villains that we find very early on in the movie kept drawing my eye every time they were on camera, and I had to look it up. I waited till the end. I'll show you later. In Sabrinases who, I was like wanting both of these gentlemen to be so badly And I don't know why, but I just I at some point in the movie it just clipped in my head like this is them. I knew it wasn't the right actor, but like this, this is the actor. I don't know why, But as far as the movie goes, I thought it was good. I thought it was cute. I thought there were great moments from both of these main characters, and I mean the star potential on camera was just yeah real, yeah, what about you will?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, let's talk about this right off the bat the both of them are great. Yes, and they're great together, and they command the screen. I could not imagine them flipped. They they're perfect in the roles that they played. At first, I didn't understand the tone of the movie, and I still think tone is a little bit muddled, Like there's part of me. It went from and we'll get into it. It went from like kind of Disney princess, which is what I thought they were gonna do more, and then it kind of went away to more teen drama and then with with little sprinkles of teen princess, and I found myself instead of saying, man, I wish they leaned more into making it real, I almost found myself wishing they leaned more into making it more Disney.
Speaker 3: Yes, it actually flipped me into thinking about the descendants and how they leaned into the of you know, what are our Disney classic cartoon princesses.
Speaker 1: Would yeah, make the villain more absurd?
Speaker 3: Yes, I also felt that way, And I think that's why I was thinking about this actor, because the actor, had he been cast doing this, those villain parts would have been to the ninth.
Speaker 1: There you go. So that's that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like It's like this easily could have been a movie where it picture the same exact movie, except you get rid of something that really isn't necessary in the movie, which is the Princess Protection program.
Speaker 1: Like it, he could have.
Speaker 2: Been a real CIA agent, FBI agent, whatever you want him as, and an actual process from an actual place had to be put in witness protection program. You didn't need to go to an underground bunker where you find out other princesses are being in this program.
Speaker 1: Like if you want what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying is pick one lane, Like if you want to go that way, that's great, go to the underground bunker and then show you know that Aeriel. You know, there's a video of Aerial in the background, and she's in protection somewhere, and it becomes very Disney. She's being followed by an actual, like Disney type of villain. So pick kind of which route you're gonna go. Is it fun almost Disney absurdist, or is it there's a real princess that's in the witness Protection program that needs to be safe.
Speaker 1: And I felt like they.
Speaker 2: Didn't really pick a lane for which one of those things they wanted to do.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day. None of that kind of really mattered, just.
Speaker 2: Because you saw these two young girls, young women, and they were great together and they command the screen that you knew what was gonna happen. I mean, there was nothing where it was like wow, good twist or anything. You knew the story going in. But when you've got this kind of young star power for young kids watching.
Speaker 3: It was great. What I really loved about this these two girls as a duo was they both seemed to be very comfortable and love their aspect of what they brought to They didn't seem like they were like on camera kind of fighting for anything, Like they were really happy to be both that same level of like you know what I mean, a star in the movie, and I like, I loved that it didn't seem like there was any kind of like back and forth, any kind of caddy stuff. They looked like they were just having a great time being able to work together.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This was directed by Alison Liddy Brown, as I mentioned, a DJA Award winner for the movie. She has an acclaimed TV career dating back to the late nineties on shows like and The Shows Are really Impressive. The Secret World of Alex Mack even Stevens cousin Skeeter, which I'd never heard before and have now heard over and over and over again, and Zena, but has since worked on everything else, Tons of Great, Everyone's saying they love everyone's talking about cousin Skeeter.
Speaker 1: I'd never heard it, and now it's all own.
Speaker 3: This is the this.
Speaker 1: It's like a puppet or something. It's Marcus Toji talked about.
Speaker 3: It, right, Yes, and I was in the opening credits, like as a dancer.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh god, okay, because we think we talked about it on Podmetsworld too, so we've got to see that.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's crazy, Okay.
Speaker 1: So yes.
Speaker 2: She also worked on tons of Gray's Anatomy, Friday Night Lights, Shameless, Parenthood, Chuck. The list goes on and on, but only a handful of movies in the bunch and this is well one of them, and yes, we talked about it. It stars Selena Gomez's Carter, like I said. She started her career on the set of Barney and Friends and has since become one of the industry's biggest names in acting, music, and producing. She was a Disney Channel megastar as Alex Russo on Wizards of Waverley Place. It seems like she likes alliterative titles. You got Princess Protection Program, Wizards of Waverley Place, a show that turned into.
Speaker 1: A decom we already reviewed.
Speaker 2: But she also showed up on Hannah Montana Sweet Life and assorted Joe Bro's content.
Speaker 1: Did she dated Joe Bro? It seems like she would have dated a Joe Bro. I don't Yes, Okay, we already got that from Lisa. Yes, that's all we need.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't know which one, though.
Speaker 1: I don't think it matters. Okay, doesn't really matter. She dated a Joe Bro, that's all we need. Yes.
Speaker 2: Her adult erap Nick with two ends. She dated Nick. Yes, her adult era would start in Harmony Koreen's I'm saying that right. I hope controversial spring Breakers and lead to roles in Hotel Transylvania, movies, Amelia Perez, and the hit show she currently stars alongside Steve Martin and Martin Short Only Murders in the Building.
Speaker 1: And I hate to be the one to say this out loud. I've never seen a single episode.
Speaker 2: Everyone loves it and my parents love it, and I gotta watch it, and oh believe and apparently she holds her own and they love her and that's awesome. And in music, she's released three solo number one albums with billions of streams, several Guinness records, and two Billboard number one songs. And this next that I couldn't believe because of all the star parr out there. Apparently she's also the most followed.
Speaker 1: Woman on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I mean I would have said Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: I would have said Taylor Swift, oh yeahs or Kim.
Speaker 1: K Yeah Sabrina Carpenter's getting up there. But yeah, that's that's crazy. Now, what do you think?
Speaker 2: So obviously there's talent all over the place on the Disney Channel, what do you think, in your opinion, having seen the Disney machine works in the works of the Disney Machine, what what makes somebody come out like a Selena Gomez where they become a megastar and other people come out and they kind of do their Disney Channel stuff and then they go off and they have a regular life.
Speaker 3: Well, to me, I think it's having obviously an uber amount of talent makes a sure big part of it.
Speaker 2: Lots of talented kids come off the channel though, and then don't ever really go in.
Speaker 3: That's true. She has an aspect that's like really relatable. She's like that girl next door. I think that you like believe could easily be your best friend had you guys know, in real life, like like the way she just seems to be very personable to me, I think, and which to me like I again, I've met her several times. She's always been so so sweet, you know, never too cool for school. The you know Disney Channel games, they want us to put these headbands on, and you know what I mean, some of the girls were like, uh no, I don't want to do that, and she was like sure, Like you know, she's she's super sweet and very humble, and I think that she see. What I think makes a huge difference is she took her role as being like, you know, some one who kids look up to, really serious and always kept all the projects she was involved in with like an end like positive type thing.
Speaker 2: Right, But that's on the channel. What I mean is to become successful. It seems like afterwards a lot of the things, like whether it be Miley, Cyrus or any of these kind of people, they so break the mold by doing something I think, say that's.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying. She embraced the idea of like my fan base knows me as you know, somebody who makes good decisions like things like that, break break out of it.
Speaker 1: What was spring Breakers? And why was it controversial? So?
Speaker 4: Harmony Krinn is a controversial actor. He did a movie in the nineties called Kids.
Speaker 1: Oh God, I remember Kids.
Speaker 4: So this was a movie about like four girls going on a wild spring break. It had drugs, that had sex, it had so it was her, It was Vanessa Hudgens, Ashton Benson, and somebody else I can't remember.
Speaker 3: So why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what they did.
Speaker 3: I never ever heard of that. To me, she was the one out of the girls her age, right, because remember I'm older than them. She was the one. They were the up and coming right after we were doing all of our things that we were looking at them like why are you doing that? Like don't like you know, it's not that you can't be normal, you can't have your fun, but like she was the one that was not like that, Like she didn't seem want to do grow up really fast.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think it's about growing up really fast.
Speaker 2: I think it's about the fact that you are identified with one very kind of saccharine, sweet little girl, especially for the girls, little girl kind of persona of your Hannah Montana or your you know, Hillary du whatever, the Lizzie Maguire or you're you're a wizard on Wizards of Waverley Place, and to break out of that mold to truly show you're not that. It's seems like swinging for the fences is a thing that a lot of these, especially young women do and where it's like I'm gonna go do I mean, look at look at them Euphoria. So you've got Euphouri, You've got spring Breakers, You've got all these kind of thing where And I think, unfortunately that's become the norm of breaking out of Disney Channel. It's not you very rarely find somebody who becomes a superstar who was a superstar and Disney Channel who continues as an adult as a superstar, unless they do something so mold breaking that it's a little crazy.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think probably that's what you would feel in the industry, like I'm only gonna get I'm gonna get type casted, right See for me, I was like please type cast me that I.
Speaker 1: Felt the same way I wanted to keep doing families want to I.
Speaker 3: Don't want to do that stuff that's gonna be so extreme that it's gonna be so shocking that you know what I mean. Like I was good, like, let me do dancy with the star, Let me be a dancer. Yeah that loves to dance.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: But again I didn't end up blowing up and being a Miley Cyrus right, you know I didn't, you know, so maybe that is something. But I also think a part of it, especially for girls that do feel the ceiling happened to them very quickly as a girl wanting to not be a girl like a young girl. They want to be seen more as like sexy or you know what I mean. Like that I think is a very natural thing that you go through like your early twenties. For me, I was on the channel in my early twenties.
Speaker 1: Different that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Like I made that decision yet later in life that like this is what I wanted to do. I kept saying yes to everything that they wanted me to do for the Cheetah girls without wanting to necessarily have more of like a sexier like you know, it was like I don't know.
Speaker 1: Got to break out of the mole.
Speaker 2: Yeah is the key apparently, which is maybe not the greatest key, but anyway.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I mean, and it's like, I don't know, just want to make it for yourself.
Speaker 2: You do, hey, exactly. Everybody's got to walk their own path. And then you got Demi Levado is Rosalinda. Demi also starred on Barney and quickly entered the Disney Machine as part of the channel interstitials called Hear That interstitials called as the Bell Rings. These were two to five minute comedy sketches shown in between shows, and this, of course all led to a role in the dcom Camp Rock, which became a cultural phenomenon. Working alongside the Joe Bros, she dated joebro too.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, okay, just she dated Joe.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, Joe.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to have a Joe Bro counter just to see which one of the stars they dated. But Demi's focus since has been in music, where she sold over two hundred and fifty four million records in the United States. Crazy won an MTV Video Music Award, fourteen teen Choice Awards, five People's Choice Awards, two Latin American Music Awards, and a Grammy nomination and all this The impressive part is, unless it's been in.
Speaker 1: A movie, I've never heard a single song.
Speaker 2: She also has become an ally by openly and honestly talking about her own battles with addiction, eating disorders, and sexual identity, and is quite a one to two punch here.
Speaker 1: With Demi and Selena.
Speaker 2: It was like, let's take our biggest stars into a movie together, and of course it worked. Nicholas Brown plays ed Magical Rewinders will recognize Nicholas from his role in the dcom Minute Men, but he's been in some legendary teen and ya projects of all time. He starred in Disney's Sky High and Perks of Being a Wallflower, but his real breakout came in adulthood when he was cast as Greg on the HBO hit Succession, a show that got him his first Emmy nomination. He most recently played This Is Crazy both Andy Kaufman and Jim Henson in Jason Wrightman's SNL movie Saturday Night, and another familiar name, Jamie Chung, plays Chelsea. Jamie began her career as a housemate on the revolutionary MTV reality show The Real World. No Idea that Happened and has turned into both a modeling and acting career. She's appeared in movies like I Now Pronounced You, Chuck and Larry Sucker Punch, and The Hangovers two and three.
Speaker 1: She's also the voice of Go Go in Big Heroes.
Speaker 2: So yes, this movie stars two of the biggest Disney stars to ever grace the channel, But none of that matters if it's too damn long.
Speaker 1: So what is the run time? People?
Speaker 2: Can we be as excited about the length of this film as we are about the woman who share top billing? Well, I'm happy you asked. Prince's Protection Program or PPP runs ninety minutes.
Speaker 1: He Yah, Halla, hallelujah.
Speaker 2: We've done it again, people, We kicked the target, ring the bell.
Speaker 1: And then go to taco bell. What a glorious time here on Magical Rewind.
Speaker 2: We applaud all those involved and continue to hope you are the majority and not the minority.
Speaker 1: Ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: They've done it, and when we send out thank you cards everybody for that. Let's start with the writers Annie Deyung and David Morganson. Annie began her career on The Honey I Shrunk the Kid's TV show and would enter the dcom Orbit with Return to Halloween.
Speaker 1: Town and Johnny Cappahala back on the board.
Speaker 2: She'd go on to write three more dcoms after that, Starstruck, Sixteen Wishes and Girl Versus.
Speaker 1: Monster and announcing right now.
Speaker 2: I would absolutely love to have her on the pod because I would like to speak to her. And then there's David Morganson spent most of his career writing on award shows and assorted TV comedies, but his longest tenure was on the bay Watch parody TV show Son of the Beach.
Speaker 1: But this movie was his last recognizable credit.
Speaker 2: All right, let's find out what happens when two worlds collide and hang out at a bait shop.
Speaker 1: It's time for Princess Protection Program.
Speaker 2: We open on the bayou. We see alligator's turtles and dragonflies. We are, of course, in New York City.
Speaker 1: He's still there with me. I'm kidding. We're in the swamps of Louisiana.
Speaker 2: We learn of Joe's Bait Shack, a local business where young Carter Mason is behind the counter furiously writing something. When a customer throws some bait, she's at first offended, but when she sees it's her cut classmate Donnie call him hot Donnie. She gives him a pass, but he doesn't even know her name, which she obviously knows his. This was weird because I didn't understand this first part, and I was very worthy he'd write off the bat. He asks her how much for the bait and she responds free a deal is a deal, free bait in exchange for never having to take the bus again.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: As he leaves, she sprints out to following but is stopped by her dad. He embarrasses her a little bit and says goodbye. So apparently Donnie is going to drive her to school every day as part of some deal that they made, but he doesn't know her name, So when did they make this deal? And then Donnie is a sweet new convertible with two other girls, Brooke and Chelsea. They're already inside, attitude thrown around, and eventually Donnie leaves.
Speaker 1: Without her, claiming there isn't enough room in the car. So what the was the deal?
Speaker 3: I don't know? And also why when her dad does his job takes him away. I mean he does seem to run this.
Speaker 2: Like he's like the head security guy of the Princess Protection Program.
Speaker 3: Yes, but like he also has this bait shop, like it's his, it's right outside their house. We've got another work related laze outside of someone's living.
Speaker 2: This at least makes sense if you like live on the bayou, Like, at least it's better than like it's a big garage house.
Speaker 3: Like what his car is right there? Why can't he drive her to school?
Speaker 1: Oh see?
Speaker 2: I think that didn't bother me because again, a lot of parents are like, you're making your way to school and or she's like, no, I want to hit your ride with hot Donnie. But a how do you make a deal with somebody who don't know their name? B then there's no deal. She just gives them the bait and then he just drives away. So had they spoken before and made some deal that then we don't This was a weird start, and I was like, all right, from the beginning, this could be at.
Speaker 3: LISTA think she was trying to hit on him.
Speaker 1: I think she was trying to hit on him because he has no idea who she is.
Speaker 2: Because but but the deal is a deal, like they they then they both played it wrong.
Speaker 4: She said it before she like she's like trying to be like well, like the deal of the deal, like we're gonna do this right, and then she kind of cringes when he's like, uh okay, you can see her and be like give it a cringe, Like she just like messed up what she was trying to do. So I think it's just like the shy girl trying to take her chance at the hot guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to rewrite that, you shouldn't have been a deal a deal. It should have been like I'll make a deal with you. You can have that for free if I never have to ride on the bus again like that, instead of like remember that deal we had.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I see they're picking up this is one of my spree seas. Why is he picking up bait right before school?
Speaker 1: Because that's the time when bait is the freshest, is right before school. Everybody knows that spring.
Speaker 2: Because then you take the bag of worms and you leave it in your convertible in the hot sun.
Speaker 3: Everybody like, where's he gonna take this bait? And we never ever once see his or doing anything.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, are you telling me you would not start your day in Orange County by going to the local bait shack buying a bag of bait and then going to high school.
Speaker 1: What the hell was your school?
Speaker 3: Like, I've only been fishing once and it was a terrible experience.
Speaker 2: I'll never do that again fishing anyway, We'll go some time. You're just gonna have to bait my hook anyway. So Carter hitches a ride with her dad, furious of those girls. His phone rings. It's his boss sending him on another work trip. It's a quote unquote routine op and will only take two days, Max, but that's what he always says. They pull up to Lake Monroe High School and exchange acute secret handshake and ladies and gentlemen, it's official.
Speaker 1: We have a good dcom Dad.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, in a massive castle far away, her Royal Highness, Princess Rosalinda Marie Montoya Fiore, is presented with a large amount of pop in circumstance.
Speaker 1: She's in a rehearsal for her big coronation next.
Speaker 2: Month with the help of mister Elegante, her dress designer and friend. Nearby, her mom is thanking a familiar looking soldier.
Speaker 1: Hey wait, it's.
Speaker 2: Carter's dad and he's being called Major Mason, So apparently is he part of the army of this country. And if he's not and he's just part of the Prince's protection program, are they not allowed guns?
Speaker 1: Are they only sent places where they still sword fight?
Speaker 3: Disney Channel, That's.
Speaker 2: Why they should have gone more Disney. That's what I'm saying, Go way more Disney with all this stuff. Like almost like there's two worlds you're going through where you're like walking through the veil of real life in Louisiana to then a literal Disney Princess Like go even bigger with it, because this is like, well, if you're in the real world and we're sending you on an op, maybe we won't send you alone with just a sword.
Speaker 1: So it's you know, that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's like make it where it's you literally have to walk through the underground bunker and you leave our world and you chant it.
Speaker 1: Yes, got it.
Speaker 2: That's like the land of Narnia and you come into Disney princess Land where this PPP exists. That's why I was like, go one way or another. It's like I just and again I did. I love the idea. The idea is great, and I was just just I wasn't sure what it was yet, where it was just like, Okay, is this is she a real princess? Is this a place that's supposed to exist in our world like this land? Or is he going to a world where then you're protecting a like Descendants, where it's like ye, through this thing, this veil, there's an actual world, And so I was kind of wondering which way they were going with it. I just didn't get it. And if it is the real world, maybe more than one guy.
Speaker 1: With justice sword.
Speaker 2: But this was the job he left for. He's there to look after Princess Rosalinda. It seems Rosalinda's dad recently passed away, making hear the future soul queen.
Speaker 1: Of Costa Luna.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of pressure and responsibility, and her mom is afraid that General Cain, an enemy of their country, will take advantage of that. So Major Mason promises dependable security, and so her mom now joins Rosalinda for the rehearsal, practicing a crowning in front of her subjects quote unquote that will officially make her next in line. The official continues to run through by asking if there's any objections, and out of nowhere, a very threatening sword again is thrown at Rosalinda taking the crown right off her head and elegant, but not.
Speaker 1: Elegante, that's just the dress designer, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: General Cain of a Costa Estrella announces his objection.
Speaker 1: Where the hell is Mason and his dependable security?
Speaker 3: Yeah before right there?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And how strong is your country when this general and two guys.
Speaker 1: Now with swords can take the whole place over?
Speaker 3: Well, we quickly see that her, you know, the guy that looks like the castle security that's like helping her through the coronation y aspect. He's instantly like I was like, oh my, he just flipped like so quick. Was he already planning this? Was he the one?
Speaker 1: I don't know what's happening.
Speaker 2: This is the nicest coup that has ever taken place anywhere in history.
Speaker 1: And that's why I was like, wait, is this a real land?
Speaker 2: Are we supposed to imagine we're in in the world like our world right now? Are we supposed to be in princess Land? And they kind of explain it by just going, oh, it's not on many maps.
Speaker 1: What's happening.
Speaker 3: He's really small, It's really small.
Speaker 2: Okay, So he claims the princess is too young to be queen and his country needs to unite with Coasta Luna. He will step in as the president of both lands and instructs his troops to kidnap the family. With that, we get a scrimmage for the women. As a General Kine nonchalantly walked away, and finally we see Major Mason unsheathe his small pair of knitting scissors that they allowed him to have.
Speaker 1: I'm kidding. They give him the sword.
Speaker 2: What the hell bro He cuts to drape and uses it to swing in action, knocking out some bad guys and landing in front of the ladies. Mason rushes Rosalinda off, and her mom stays behind. She's eventually pulled in different directions for safety. Elegante sees that Rosalinda has been able to escape, and he grins. Mason and the future Queen run down the castle stairs and eventually meet back with her mom. She says she knew General Cain would show up, so she set up an emergency plan with Mason. She makes Rosalinda promise to follow his lead, but before they leave, her mom hands her a necklace to always remember that no matter where she is, she is a princess. Mason and Rosalinda leave the grounds, followed close behind by a Cain's henchman, but the good guys board a waiting helicopter that's just there and take off just in time. A crying Rosalinda leaves her family behind to face Cain, who will now take her mom captive and wait for her daughter's return. The next thing we then see is Rosalinda dropped off on a deserted island. Mason leads to a large, mysterious electronic elevator door and presses a button. On their way underground, a large video screen appears, and the director explains she's been entered in a secret International Princess Program or the International Princess Protection Program PPP.
Speaker 1: Actually should have been the IPPP, which sounds weird anyway.
Speaker 2: The elevator finally stops and the director appears. She invites Rosalinda into a full scale operational headquarters for an agency funded by the world's royal families. She claims she's currently hiding twenty nine princesses because apparently there's princesses.
Speaker 1: All over our world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know this, this is where it was like large number.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. It's like, if you're gonna this is where they.
Speaker 2: The slightest tweak in the script, the slightest little tweak could have made this one of the greatest d coms of all time. Literally, like these are the princesses from from mythical lens, like what they used to do with Shrek, where it's like you're seeing kind of the behind the scenes of like the for princesses lives and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Do something like that.
Speaker 2: We're in the in between world between your world and our world and the princesses.
Speaker 3: Set up like with the big giant, crazy elevator that they take down below to this like corpor world. You know that they've got like they they had stuff that being in Puerto Rico, using the castles that they had, It wouldn't have taken them much to make it just more enchanted.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, you go from the enchanted world to the real world.
Speaker 1: What was the the what was the movie enchanted?
Speaker 3: Enchanted?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's called a chance, That's what it is.
Speaker 2: There you go so that so that movie, like the vibe of that movie here, Yes, would have been really interesting because then they could have even taken her character a little farther when she gets to this our country.
Speaker 3: And actually right around when enchanted, Okay, that makes sense came out because this was around Chetah three and our wardrobe stylisted enchanted.
Speaker 1: That's oh okay, found her interesting.
Speaker 2: So then you wonder it's because then you know the scene at the end where then Selena Gomez's character has to go back through the portal to watch her be crowned. I mean all that stuff. You could have made a bigger Disney kind of deal of this. I think they just they just missed the boat a little bit on what this was. Because she walks in and there's two women in ball gowns. Were they supposed to be other princesses?
Speaker 3: Yes? Or like the one that was the like the African queen.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That oh her, she's stunning. Like it was like, you know, yeah, they set it up to where they could have easily done that whole thing that was.
Speaker 2: That was my biggest criticism is I just tonally felt like they didn't go far enough with the Disney at this time.
Speaker 1: A lot of times I'm like, oh God, it's so Disney, pull it back. This time.
Speaker 2: I think they should have gone full full thrust into Disney and it would have been would have been great. But anyway, the elevator finally stops. The director appears. She invites rose Linda into the operational headquarters. She has an Russian accent for some reason. She claims she's currently hiding twenty nine princesses who have been threatened in some way, and they take an escalator down to an even busier wing of the operation. It looks like a fancy casino lobby with soldiers walking actual princesses in different directions and again, and it makes more sense if you're in a mythical world that there's princesses all over the place instead of the fact that there's hundreds of princesses in our world. Rosalinda is now set up for stage three, which is transformation. They will make her unrecognizable by cutting her hair and changing her wardrobe, but the process puts her into a panic mode and she demands to see Major Mason, the only person she can trust. As a result, she is reunited with her savior and she demands to be returned home. He explains that General Kin has completely taken over, so that's not possible, but once he's removed from power. She can return. She just needs to blend in and stay safe. Since General Kine is waiting for her to contact her mom then decipher her location, she's got to stay with him, so if she cares about her country or her mom, she needs to disappear. With this in mind, she returns to the salon for a chop and a new color. She is now Rosy Gonzales, an average American girl who's now ready for Stage four relocation. We're sent back to Louisiana. Major Mason is driving Rosy into town, driving to his bait shop. She is severely culture shocked, obviously moving in with Major Mation on the swamp, and at the same time, a bus brings Carter back from school. She runs into the house, excited to see her dad, but is shocked to find a random girl who stumbles her name during her introduction, which I thought was great. She walks in, She's like.
Speaker 1: Hello, who are you?
Speaker 2: It is, of course, Rosie. She's been moved into a bedroom with Carter, and obviously Carter has some questions. She finds her dad working outside. Major Mason explains that the director forced him to bring Rosie home since she only trusts him Carter realizes she doesn't have a choice here, so she agrees to help the princess blend in as her American cousin. It's a rough start between the girls, but a start, nonetheless, and the chemistry is instant between the two. The characters are very well defined, they're very well acted, even Demi Lovado's cadence as she's reading all the lines.
Speaker 1: It all works.
Speaker 2: That night, Carter plays cards with her dad, who needs the girls to get along. He suggests bringing the princess a slice of pizza, and Carter obliges, sighing the entire way. Rosie is still awkwardly sitting in the bedroom, unmoved and uninterested. She does ask Carter to make her bed and get her a pink nightgown, which of course does not go over well with bait Girl. Then, when Rosie excuses herself to the bathroom downstairs, she stumbles on a massive iguana and screams. Carter and her dad explain it's just a lizard, something she's never seen before, because she has a royal reptile wrangler like we all do. My guy's name is Steve. The next morning, Rosie looks at a banana like it's a dinosaur egg, which seems way over the top. This is where I was like, Okay, is she from our world or not? Because if she is, why does a banana look like the strangest thing you've ever seen in your life? The banana is part of a family breakfast where Rosie and her dad drink milk straight out of the carton and dig into whatever they find in the fridge. It's not exactly royal, but seems very real. The bus arrives, so the girls rush outside just as Major Mason gets a call from the director. He announces that Princess three seventy nine Stage four is complete.
Speaker 1: And that she's safe. So we imagine they have done this with three hundred and eighty other princesses in our world. Little tweak, one little tweet.
Speaker 2: Now arriving at school, the girls are welcomed by classmate Ed and his camcorder. I remembered him for a minute. Man, I love the stuff that he does. He's so interesting to look at. He's such a good actor. This guy's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: First, the way he's throwing around terms like queen, you think he knows the truth about Rosie, But he's just filming a documentary about how he thinks Carter will be the dark horse for the homecoming queen this year and just in case, Carter explains to Ed that she's from Iowa, not a queen. Did this confuse you at all? Where he's saying queen and everything? And I was like, wait, does he know? Like right, what what's happening?
Speaker 3: I did at first the very like first two times, I was like, Oh, Carter's told him what's going on? That seems kind of strange that she would tell him this kind of top secret information. But then I realized, like, oh, no, this is just him. He's filming Carter thinking Carter's gonna get some kind of title of some sort. So I realized, But yeah, first, at first it did. The thing that really confused me is we really do this whole little gif like a couple times and then like never see the actual documentary. That annoyed me at least great at the end of the credits, like some shots of it, something like agree some kind of closure with that because it was a cute idea.
Speaker 1: You know, I agree.
Speaker 2: The bell rings and it's time for Carter and Rosie's first class. When Rosie attempts to sit in an open seat Donnie or hatty Donnie, depending on if you like him or not.
Speaker 1: The guy at the.
Speaker 2: Convertible at the beginning has a fresh answer that turns into a truly terrible secret handshake with his best friend to celebrate the sick burn. But when Donnie turns around to see her, he is stunned by her beauty and gladly.
Speaker 1: Gives up her seat.
Speaker 2: And now the teacher walks in. Who is the single hottest teacher in the history of the world. It's French class, and Rosie immediately outs herself as fluent in not only French, but maybe a dozen other languages as well. I saw none of this, just trying to get a better look at the teacher who was stunning, truly stunning looking.
Speaker 1: It was amazing this.
Speaker 3: By the way, though, this little bit of you know, anyone that really kind of like lives outside the US, and how they people tend to know at least three languages. Like when we were both in Barcelona traveling for other things India, the people that we were around, it wasn't like they had some crazy high education, literally, it was just very normal to have the ability to like speak fluently in like three to four languages.
Speaker 2: We're one of the only countries in the world where this is. The very idea of having more than one language in your head is.
Speaker 3: Absurd, I know it.
Speaker 1: True languages.
Speaker 2: You go to Amsterdam and everybody in Amsterdam speaks English, German, French and Dutch.
Speaker 3: Toronto, because it's like a melting pot.
Speaker 1: Of different everyone speaks multiple languages.
Speaker 3: Spain, you know several, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Everyone everyone, and I'd like to as well. I just don't know which one is.
Speaker 2: I think I'm gonna pick Claims. I think I'm gonna pick cling On because Klingon I'll use.
Speaker 1: That more than anything else. Well, I Spra, I don't know, you know anyway, I.
Speaker 3: Think I'd love to learn whatever languages they do in The Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 1: Oh, so there you go.
Speaker 3: Yes, The Lord of the Ring. No, but more so.
Speaker 2: Game of Thrones. Oh that was a completely invented language you have the I know, was that Drakari or something like that. I think it's great something I like to wear Drakari Nuwari.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. Anyway.
Speaker 2: We are now back in Coasta Luna General Kine spins the globe. Where is this princess her mother is brought in for questioning, but she's not talking for the record. Elegante is there too, taking Caine's measurements. The general details the plan for his eventual reign, and she's quickly taken away. Back in Louisiana, Rosie cuts a long line in the cafeteria and is rightly shamed for it. Don't cut the line in the calf but she's saved by hot Dannie, who says, go ahead and cut. She orders a hamburger, which again she does not know what that is is, And that makes sense if she's from a Disney world, not if she lives in our world. Everybody knows what a hamburger is and is off to find her lunch table.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing.
Speaker 2: If you make it a mythical land, all these things makes sense and you can go even farther with it.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Demi I believe would have been such a great like wide eyed warlike yep, Disney like cartoon.
Speaker 2: It looks like she's always like They make it look like she's always about to break into song. They never would have her do it, but seems like it like those kind of things could have been really funny. But anyway, She looks to Carter, but her roommate doesn't offer her a seat, so instead she finds a corner table and sits alone, properly working through her lunch like it's a five course royal meal. Nearby, cool girl Chelsea, sitting with Donnie, is weirded out by Rosie's behavior and the fact that this is Carter's cousin. Donnie, though, seems very interested in the new student, and gets kicked under the table.
Speaker 1: By Chelsea from making it obvious.
Speaker 2: Eventually, Carter has a change of heart and joins Rosie, concerned that even the way she eats a hamburger is suspicious, which it is. She warns the transfer about the fluent French stuff and eating with her pinkies out. Their conversation is interrupted by the principle, who reminds the student body that the homecoming court nominations are coming up. Brook and Chelsea think they're shoe ins, and we learn the three girls, but the most votes will be princesses, then only one will be voted queen at the dance. Rosie can't believe they vote for their queen and anyone could be a princess. That's not how it works. Then, out of nowhere, Rosie stands on her seat and nominates her cousin to be on the court, completely embarrassing Carter and sending her right out of the lunch area.
Speaker 1: Rosie follows close behind.
Speaker 2: Back at the bait shop, Rosie is still under tail, but Carter wants to be left alone. Rosie eventually quote unquote orders her to stop, and Carter just isn't having it. They get face to face and luckily Major Mason breaks them up. Carter explains that the princess can't even pretend to be a normal teenager and it's a lost cause, but Major Mason says it will work. They just need to give it some time. That night, in bed, Rosie is stressed and looking at a locket with a picture of her mom and dad Dad. The next morning, Carter is getting the bait shop ready when Rosie joins her and is interested in learning what quote unquote chores are. Carter starts her off with inventory, a job that will keep her busy all day involving. Now, Carter has time to join her dad painting a boat, while Rosie climbs a shelving unit to get some buckets. A precarious move by all accounts. Eventually we hear a loud crash and Major Mason finds the princess covered in worms. She shakes it off, though, and leaves to bathe. Later, while still in the house, Rosie, now in a flower crown, sees Carter and her dad having a conversation about ordering pizza, but she surprises them with a fancy table setting for dinner. It's a thank you for helping her with a bake catastrophe. Her plan is to serve them and give them matching flower crowns. Rosie reveals her mother was raised a peasant, so she has many recipes that were passed down. Major Mason excitedly admits they haven't had a home cooked meal in a long time, but Carter is hesitant and continues to be snooty, forcing Rosie to excuse herself. Rosie is laying in their bedroom sulking when Carter enters. They each have their grapes. Rosie misses home, and Carter assumes she doesn't even want to try and blend in. She probably just misses her personal chef. In private tutors, and so Rosie tells Carter her real story and how important her small little Homeland is to her. She inherited Coast Luna when her dad died, and now her palace has been attacked. Carter's dad is the only reason she's safe, and now her mom is being held hostage. This sob story obviously affects Carter. Rosie apologizes and swears she'll try to blend in better. It's the only way to save her mom. They agree that they're going to start all over, and the first step bowling. They visit their local alley, and Rosie treats it like she's just walked into the taj Mahll.
Speaker 1: What is this wonderful place?
Speaker 2: And again, this makes way more sense if she's from a different place, different land. Carter asks her not to draw attention to herself as they rent shoes from Ed, the documentary director who also works there. Rosie doesn't even know her shoe size, again weird, and needs Ed to put them on her feet. Ed plays along in a nearby Chelsea and Brooke are confused and jealous and guess who else is at the bowling alley? Hot do she Donnie Boy, who is clearly into Rosie and not Carter.
Speaker 1: Whose name he still can't remember. When he walks away.
Speaker 2: Rosie asked Carter if that is her boyfriend, which is a completely unhinged question to ask because he didn't know her name. Yes, but she does offer one gem, noting that Ed looks at Carter the same way Carter looks at Donnie.
Speaker 1: And with that, it's time to bowl.
Speaker 2: Rosy's up first, and her first frame a strike, and the second and the third, and now the whole alley is watching again. Carter is chop Liver in every way at this school. She returns her shoes and tells Ed that her cousin can be a real and then Chelsea finishes the sentence with princess. Now do you think this was just disney the word when she literally says she can be a real princess? Do you think of what they're what she's saying Disneyland is she can be a real Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think so too.
Speaker 2: I think this is the closest we get to an actual curse word in a dcomp so far, and it's princess, so exactly exactly, It's true. It's oh except for that one time what was it in uh Camp Rock when Joe said herself, uh that that was a good.
Speaker 1: I was like what Joe just came out of nowhere in camp Rock. Wow, that was going I might as in the director's guy, I don't know if it's true. Gotcha, you don't remember that part too? Great part?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: Chelsea and Brooke realize that Rosie is becoming very popular, and they're nervous she's gonna win Homecoming Queen, so they start to befriend her and nickname her Roe. That night, as they get ready for bed, Rosie wants to know why Carter is so into Donnie. Carter explains that she's been obsessed with him since elementary school. Rosie admits he looks like a prince, but wonders aloud if he's also beautiful on the inside. Loved all this, This gives Carter something to think about. Carter's working at the bait Chop tomorrow and Rosie wants to join her, but Carter puts up some boundaries.
Speaker 1: That's her thing.
Speaker 2: They say good night with an obvious wall still between them, even though they said they were going to start over the next day, Rosie wastes no time and gets her own job at Chelsea's dad's yogurt chop. Seems like a cool gig, except Rosie has to wear a goofy cow hat.
Speaker 1: I loved that cow hat.
Speaker 3: It's actually very cute. It was a cute little It.
Speaker 1: Was great little gig.
Speaker 2: She also gets no training whatsoever and is the only person working at the entire door, which was weird. It feels like she's obviously being set up for disaster, and that's because well she is. Back at the bait shop. Ed is filming Carter, still assured she will be a homecoming princess. It's his last day to shoot because the court will be named tomorrow. Carter thinks the whole thing is stupid and wants to do more with her life than be popular. Then Ed gets a message on his phone and he knows where Rosie is. We cut to a packed yogurt chop, where Rosie is not only over her head, but again.
Speaker 1: The only one working there.
Speaker 2: The line stretches out the door, and one guy in of Fedora is so mad he angrily snapping photos of her and her mistakes. People is flip phone, where people should just be making fun of his stupid hat. But from outside, Donnie watches the meltdown unfold and begs Chelsea and Brook to step in, Chelsea waves over another guy, Bull and quietly whispers instructions in his ear. On her command, Bull sneaks into the shop and presses the tank self clean buttons, creating an all out flood of yogurt and soap and water. The crowd lasts room misfortune, just as Carter and Ed running to help. But even Bull feels bad about his actions and he runs out, but Carter caught a glimpse of him before he left. Now, with Rosie covered in yogurt mess, they realize Chelsea set her up and invited the whole school to come and see her fail. What a princess, I should say, What a princess?
Speaker 1: You are a total princess.
Speaker 2: Carter wants to get revenge, but Rosie says she will turn the other cheek and be the bigger person. She walks out of the shop, head held high like a princess, maneuvering through the crowd gathered to laugh at her. Rosie stops at Chelsea to announce that her father, the King of Yogurts, would be very disappointed in her and quits. Also, Carter does get a little bit of revenge by smushing an ice cream cone on bull's head, shifting the focus onto that stupid goon.
Speaker 1: So Chelsea's plan backfired. Rosie is more popular than ever.
Speaker 2: She's likely to be one of the princesses tomorrow, and she could even become queen. Chelsea says she'd rather eat carbs than lose her crown to the new girl. She has a plan on how to stop this and in the future, I have like all Disney movies to stop calling anybody Chelsea, because anytime you have to say Chelsea says, it gets very difficult. Back at the bait shop, Rosie is teaching Carter how to burp and act that would make even mister Ellegante, the royal dress designer, very angry.
Speaker 1: She explains, even though she has.
Speaker 2: A lavish life, it's more important to be a shining light and friend or a source of help to her homeland like her father was. Carter is finally starting to see the genuine kindness in her fake cousin, and a friendship is starting to blossom. Back in Coasta, Luna General King, who's is a Disney villain, so it's like they kind of went that way with it. You know, he's not really threatening, he's not well armed, there's nothing really scary about him. He's a Disney villain, so they should just take it farther. He continues to rule the castle with an iron fist. His plan is to pretend that he's marrying Rosie's mom, and when she sees the announcement, when wherever she is, she will race home to stop it. Back in Louisiana, the school principal announces the homecoming court. It's Chelsea Carter and Rosie. Brooke was shut out and Chelsea has no idea how this happened. They texted everyone to vote for Carter instead of Rosie, and now they're both nominated. Chelsea blames Brooke for not being popular enough. Meanwhile, Carter is not thrilled. She doesn't want to be a p Donnie approaches Rosie to be his date to the dance, and Carter can't believe what she's seeing. Carter walks off, Rosie says no, and chases after her. Back at the house, Carter is humiliated, but Rosie explains that Donnie is not worthy of her. She's more than a bait girl, she's a princess. Rosie decides she'll turn the tables and help Carter feel like Royalty and show what she has to offer to the world. It's time to find her inner.
Speaker 3: Princess her interview.
Speaker 1: In her Interview.
Speaker 2: Interview, we get a wonderful little montage as the girls show their charitable side. Carter and Rosie offer free tutoring to students in need, read books to little kids, donate clothing, and update Carter's wardrobe at a thrift shop after a busy day. Carter's impressed with how kind and generous Rosie is. It's the real definition of being a princess. And now they are officially bestie's They've both gotten over Barney in the school library book Sorry. Brooke has a Spanish assignment and is looking for a book with lots of pictures. She stumbles on a Spanish magazine with an article about Princess Rosalinda of Costa Luna. The bait shop, Major Mason gets a call from Maybe that's why, maybe this is one of the reasons why.
Speaker 1: I couldn't have been in the world.
Speaker 2: Is then how do they find out that she's yeah, part of a Disney thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but there was there could have been an easy fix there. Yes.
Speaker 2: Back at the bait shop, Major Mason gets a call from the director about this supposed.
Speaker 3: Name found the portal.
Speaker 2: There you go, perfect the great What would be interesting is you see a hand and it would be an easy thing to do. You see her hand go through the portal, and as it comes out the other side, it has a long princess glove on ith like it's like as you go into this other land, you get princified or princess afire.
Speaker 1: So that scene, but it'll been interesting. There you go, I'll rerite it now.
Speaker 2: Back at the bait shop, Major Mason gets a call from the director about this supposed engagement between Cain and Rosie's mom. They figure out it's obviously just deploy to draw the princess out, so they decide to hide this from Rosie, but are worried that someone will figure out her identity. In the meanwhile, cut to the school Jim where Chelsea is decorating for the homecoming dance. When Brooke arrives, she reveals the truth about Princess Rosalinda and hopes it can get her back in Chelsea's good graces. They translate the article, figuring out that Rosie has been sent somewhere to hide out and her mom is in prison or a paper bag.
Speaker 1: They can't translate that part.
Speaker 2: And now, despite all of her plans backfiring in the past, Chelsea has concocted yet another one. They drive to the bait shop and confront Rosie with the tabloid. Now, to keep the secret, Rosie will need to abandon her crown and endorse Chelsea for queen, which she's fine with as long as Carter keeps hers. Carter sees the mean girls on their way out, driving off and throwing their homecoming dresses into the swamp.
Speaker 1: Ah Princesses, She rushes it, ah, there you go.
Speaker 2: She rushes inside to find Rosie, who announces she must return home at once. She's read about the engagement in the magazine and now she has to stop Kane, but.
Speaker 1: Carter won't let her. It's not safe.
Speaker 2: Rosie begs are to stay out of her way. She loved Louisiana, but this isn't reality. Her reality is not as much of a fairy tale, and her country needs her, but Carter's not sold. Back in Coasta Luna, mister Ellegante gets a call. It's Carter from Rosie's phone, warning him of her plan. They decide to work together to keep her safe, as Ellegante will do anything first Princess and now Carter needs two dresses. Out of the pier, the girl's regroup to talk. Rosie says she's really gonna miss Louisiana and her new best friend, Carter, asks for a favor. She wants to help some people at Friday's dance and begs her to stay until then. We get a little montage of Carter talking to the school bus driver and some girls at the Yogan shop. They all meet it the pier to get princess lessons from Rosie and make up from the bus driver Back at the castle, though we've been backstabbed.
Speaker 1: Did you see this coming, Sabrina? Did you see this coming?
Speaker 2: Mister Elligante has taken the information he got from Carter and went straight to General Kang.
Speaker 1: Sneaky rat, now, sneaky rats.
Speaker 2: He says, let's feel the jet and go to Louisiana. Did you think this was part of the plan or did you think that he had flipped?
Speaker 3: I thought it was part of the plan.
Speaker 1: Me too, I thought it was part of the plan. Mister Elliganti is not gonna turn Come on, no, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't a.
Speaker 1: Sixth sense moment. The dresses arrived to the girls in America. Soon after.
Speaker 2: Rosie is shocked and Carter admits she worked with Ellegante. But there is one weird thing. Carter says, the pink dresses for Rosie, and she got the Caribbean blue for herself. And that's the opposite of what Elegante showed Kane, so keep that in mind.
Speaker 1: People.
Speaker 2: It's the night of the dance, and the girls look elegant in their dresses. Even her dad is impressed, but is pulled away by a call. So Rosie and Carter are off to the dance. But one last thing Venetian ball masks like you see in Eyes Wide Shut. Though thank god, the dance won't be anything like that again, though it's a little bit weird. The two girls arrive at the dance alongside all of their less popular friends via the school bus. All of them are wearing the ball masks, concealing their individual identities. Chelsea doesn't get it and falls face first onto the ground in hysteria, but Donnie and Ed are well frankly into the look. Inside the dance, everyone is grooving to generic pop music, while Rosie and Carter, now unmasked, are partying with two very nerdy freshmen. Donnie steps in and takes Carter by the hand. He's finally noticing her, but you know what, she isn't feeling it. She isn't feeling it now and rejects him. He says she's been waiting for this since the third grade, but she knows it's only because of her makeover, so she lets him walk away and she returns to the douieby freshman. Chelsea and Brook are dealing with all the chaos in their bathroom, but their friendship is broken. Brook is finally realizing that Chelsea is selfish and stands up for herself.
Speaker 1: She breaks up with her friend and storms out.
Speaker 2: All the unpopular girls are so thankful for Carter and Rosie's help. They feel beautiful, So everything is going really well, except General Kin has arrived with a full army of six guys just when it's time to announce the home cunning Queen. That's apparently the cue for Rosy and Carter and all their friends to put on their masks because either this party is about to get weird or they have a plan and then the party gets weird.
Speaker 1: No, I'm kidding, it's the plan. It's just the plan.
Speaker 2: And as they wait for the announcement, General Kine sneaks up on who he thinks is Rosy but is actually Carter. He threatens her come with him now or he'll harm her friends, and so she walks out with the villain. What was the plan just to switch places and then go to jail in Cassalouna.
Speaker 3: I to me, I thought the plan was gonna they were going to kidnap Carter, and that's how he was going to actually get in trouble because he was going to kidnap Carter, who lives in the US. He's on US soil and he's kidnapping like.
Speaker 1: A US citizen.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's what I feel like the whole plan was.
Speaker 1: But this was weird.
Speaker 3: Sure, if her dad didn't know, that's what how this was going to If he thought she was going to keep that mask on the whole flight home, like that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't get it, so it just got a little convoluted at the end here. But anyway, yes, he threatens her come with him now or I'll harm her friends. So she goes with the villain, and then the principal announces the queen. It's Rosie and there she is in the crowd, unharmed. She removes her mask and smiles. Chelsea can't believe it. Meanwhile, as she's crowned the mask, Carter and Kane are moving through the school. Rosie addresses the student body as Ed films her. She says she's learned so much, most importantly true friendship, loyalty, and trust. She calls out for Carter to thank her, but she's nowhere to be found.
Speaker 1: She's been wissed off to a helicopter.
Speaker 2: Rosie leaves to find her, but Chelsea stops her near the pool. She wants that crown and will stop it nothing until she has it. Rosie goes to hand it over, but pulls it away at the last moment, leading Chelsea right into the pool. And now with that idiot out of the way, Rosie makes it to the helicopter just in time. She reveals the old Switcherrud to Caine. Carter's baffle. The plan was working, but Rosie notes that this is her fight, not Carter's, and with that, the actual princess walks off with the General to fly home, but as they go to hop in the helicopter, they're met by Major Mason and the director. He's busting him for kidnapping. He tries to escape, but Mason catches up with him and cuffs him. So the Dead and the Princess Protection Program have to be in on this somehow, somehow, right, right, But we never saw that part.
Speaker 3: No, it's never explained.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: The girls embrace, and in the end, Carter has become the real princess. With that, Rosie hands over the crown, but someone has something to say about that. It's the completely drenched Chelsea. She snatches the crown and walks away. Carter lets her have it. She needs it more than they do. And I think you need more than just the crown to be the queen. I think he can't just grab it and be like, now I'm the Queen. I don't think it works that way.
Speaker 1: Now, Okay, So I.
Speaker 2: Didn't know if they were always in on Carter's plan, but Major Mason is furious with his daughter, so he wasn't obviously in on the plan. She knew she'd be the perfect bait because you know, she's a bait girl.
Speaker 1: That's what she says.
Speaker 2: She's lucky her dad was there to save her, but he always will do that. He rescues princesses. They hug and promise they'll always be a team. So I just it fell apart a little at the end.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like, yeah, yeah, what what just unraveled?
Speaker 3: And then we're back at the castle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're back, go back to the castle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, blah blah blah blah. And then we're like, oh, castle coronation day, what's calsation day?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So what's going on? Well, we're now back in Coastal Luna. Rosalinda is finally celebrating a big ceremony. It appears Major Mason might now be dating Rosalinda's mom, and Elegante proves he always had her back.
Speaker 1: I did seem like maybe there.
Speaker 2: Was something between the two of them. He was just part of Carter's plan and homies for life. Speaking of Carter, she's there with Ed as they start to chant long Live the Queen or long lived Queen Rosie.
Speaker 1: Now do you think Ed and Carter dating? I hope?
Speaker 2: So that's the That's the couple I want to see is Ed and Carter so I hope they're together. We get a big final Demi Levado song and a replay of the movie's highlights, which, again, you're a thousand percent right, Sabrina. Should absolutely have been clips of whole movie, clips of what he made for his documentary. That's because even I sat there and I was like, we just saw the movie. Why do I need to watch?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's such at Yes, and if it's not bloopers, which I'm always a fan of, if it's not bloopers, then it's got to be.
Speaker 1: It should have been a great idea.
Speaker 3: It should have been that.
Speaker 1: It's a great idea. Hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Couldn't agree with you anymore. It's a phenomenal ending to the movie. That's what it totally should have would have been. Okay, so when I rewrite.
Speaker 1: It, that's yes movie.
Speaker 3: Keep that in my mind.
Speaker 2: Yes, please so yes, And then as Rosalinda is showered with flower pedals, that is our film.
Speaker 1: Can we do some real reviews, Sabrina, Yes.
Speaker 3: I've got a long one today. Five stars named a really really nice story. I rate it ten thumbs up.
Speaker 1: Five stars.
Speaker 2: I love how it's I rate it ten thumbs up five stars. I have the one star, of course, and this is from James C. And not James C. But James C just a broken piece of media. All anyone should do to this film is drop a thousand bricks on it. Go watch die Hard, not this one star die Hard, die Hard.
Speaker 1: I again, two very different.
Speaker 3: Films, yes, like I don't understand.
Speaker 2: One's about a princess running around trying to figure out how to get their life back together, and the other one is the Princess Protection Program.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. That was my nod to uh John McLean.
Speaker 2: All right, we have Sabrina's favorite portion of the program right now. Our feature game. This one's gonna be called Demi or Selena or Phoebe yikes, Phoebe to celebrate the superhero like teaming of two of Disney's biggest stars. We will be given a quote and we have to decide who said it, Demi Levado, Selena Gomez or Phoebe Buffet from Friends.
Speaker 1: Okay, three out of five wins.
Speaker 2: Who are we playing with today? Yay, Michael, So we actually have a shot here we go?
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Number one, I believe in second chances, but I don't believe in third or fourth chances. Is that Demi Levado, Selena Gomez or Phoebe Buffet from Friends.
Speaker 3: I will go with Selena Gomez.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go with Demi Levado.
Speaker 3: It's Selena Gomez.
Speaker 1: Da all right? What nothing Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Number two, boyfriends and girlfriends are gonna come and go, but this is for life.
Speaker 3: That that is Phoebe.
Speaker 1: Phoebe buff correct? Yes, all right? Number three, it's fun. God, I love how sexy I am. It's fun.
Speaker 2: God, I love how sexy I am.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it's got to be Phoebe again.
Speaker 3: Doesn't It does? But I don't know that episode.
Speaker 1: I don't either. I don't either.
Speaker 3: Because this is Demi Levado and this isn't their.
Speaker 2: Characters, right, I think it's Yeah, I think it's Demi, Selena or Phoebe.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with Demi on this.
Speaker 1: Then I'm gonna stick with Phoebe.
Speaker 3: Will is correct? It's Phoebe.
Speaker 1: Ah. Yes, we're tired to too, all right? Number four.
Speaker 2: I don't actually like dates. I get awkward as I never know what to do. I'm gonna say that, I'm gonna say that's Demi.
Speaker 3: Levado, Selena Gomez.
Speaker 2: Damn so Demi hasn't said anything unless she's this last one, so you won I need this one now.
Speaker 1: Number five. If I decide I'm the girl to change the world, I can do at anytime.
Speaker 2: Demi Levado, let's hope you put in one. Hey, we both want to see what happens when Jensen isn't here.
Speaker 3: God, well, if he adds anything With Friends, I've definitely got a little bit more of a Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: Can we do a Sabriena ceas please?
Speaker 2: And I hope it's all about friends?
Speaker 3: Yes, it is on Friends last night a new episode draw love that I would die. Okay, so you mentioned it so quickly. At the end, Major Mason and her mom have a thing like did he kill the King? Like right from the beginning, I'm like did he get rid of the King?
Speaker 1: And Major Mason is like he's guy.
Speaker 3: The vibes between them at the at the very beginning and then at the end again like I'm like wow, like whoa, that was a lot.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty good looking guy, Major Mason.
Speaker 3: He is I could not place where I know him from.
Speaker 1: We know him from a thousand things.
Speaker 2: I wish I I wish I had told I wish I had said his name, which I should, but I'll find it.
Speaker 1: I'll find it right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll keep going. Okay, So I thought it was funny. I thought this would be mentioning too, how this transformation that she does. They should have had her as like a blonde or a redhead or something totally different, like short hair, and then put because there was not much of a transfer. I was like, oh my gosh, I feel like Hannah Montana's wigs better than go under in disguise in any sense, she literally looked exactly like what we had already seen her in.
Speaker 1: That was not the greatest Are you a Seinfeld fan?
Speaker 3: Not as much as like a like a demo?
Speaker 1: Okay, he was on Seinfeld. I'm trying to think what you'd know him from.
Speaker 3: There's something he plays a dad in something.
Speaker 2: Special Victims Unit. He did an episode of Special Victims Unit. I mean, he's been on everything.
Speaker 3: The guy he's so familiar.
Speaker 1: By the way, his name is Tom Verica.
Speaker 2: So if anybody should have said his name, because he has been in Did You How to Get Away with Murder?
Speaker 3: Oh, there you go, Okay, there you go. He was the husband in that There You Go? Here that show. Okay.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: She also went to the rushroom when she first got there to change. Then Carter says, it's upstairs, like into the right, she's upstairs, she's coming down. That's when she sees the lizard.
Speaker 1: And she did not change, Like, oh good, that was.
Speaker 3: A oopsie daisy. And then one of the lines that I felt was just like where are we going with this was my mother grew up a peasant and so she taught me many that's how she knows how to cook because her mom was a peasant.
Speaker 1: At that point, of course, my mom's a peasant, okay.
Speaker 3: And then this one kind of got me stuck cause I kept thinking of like cute little extra montages that they could have used with this documentary that he's doing or this class project or whatever it is that this guy's that that Ted is filming. I thought it could be done at the end, but I thought it would that would have been a great way to not take moments of the storyline, because I don't feel like we needed it in the movie, but to kind of finish out a little bit of their storyline, like as a couple, like Ted and Carter getting together, you know, and like the clips of how he thinks she's so great and then maybe he like set the camera up and you know what I mean, like them hanging out.
Speaker 1: It could have a lot of loose threads in this movie. Cute, a lot of loose threads.
Speaker 3: The loose threads. Though, I was wondering, like, I wonder if they wanted at this point, we're thinking that they were setting it up a little bit as an the ability need to have a sequel coming. Maybe maybe so that would have been something that I would have loved to have known, you know, back in the day with Disney, like was there like sort of talks of the hopes at least of doing a sequel. So they kind of left some things a.
Speaker 2: Little well, maybe we'll find out on our Park Copper episode. Yes, we can finally announce both Selena Gomez and Demi Levada will be joining us for the first That's.
Speaker 1: Not gonna happen. They're not They're not coming. They're not coming. It's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I would love it though, it'd be so great or.
Speaker 1: That's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Ever, No, dang it, but that's my last little Sabena seas. I really wish what I would have gotten a little bit of, like a little montage of our girl Carter and our boy Dad.
Speaker 1: Well, I say you your you're ed ted. It's all said.
Speaker 2: Your your ending is is way better, way better to show what he was filming, way better, one hundred percent. Right. Well, now it's the portion of our program where we actually you have to rate the film we just saw.
Speaker 1: H I know, no, no.
Speaker 2: All right, let's do one out of ten. Let's do one out of ten. I'm just figuring how we should do it. Let's do one out of ten. We're gonna make five the middle, so we'll do one lowest and ten highest.
Speaker 1: Yes, So here we go. Are options this week?
Speaker 2: We've got one out of ten nameless girls you drive to school, one at ten, royal reptile wranglers, one at ten, worms, matching flower crowns, taj Mahal bowling alleys, one out of ten, dcom curse words, one of the ten, angry Fedora guys, kings of yogurt, bus driver makeovers, eyes wide shut dances. Or I'm gonna add one out of ten princesses.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna pick, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes, oh yeah, I think if member serves you go first this time.
Speaker 3: I do all right. So as excited as I was, I loved this movie. I thought it was like there were definitely holes I see, especially now that once we go through it, you were able to really sort out that rewrite. I would have loved to see that movie. However, these two girls, I would go see any movie. I hope to God they work again together, because they are fire on camera together. They just you can tell the love that they had for each other. They were so excited to at least just get a chance to work together, Like you could just tell this was like a great environment, or at least it seemed like it for them to be filming and doing a movie together. I thought their chemistry was great. I feel like the two of them could really convince me in any characters they threw at them right, loved them. I loved some of the movie. These songs that we got. I obviously that was such an easy one to jump out at you with Selena and Go and Demi together. I kind of want to go rewatch it again to see where Mitchell's song is because I didn't hear it at all. That one did not jump out at me whatsoever. But I liked this movie. It was an easy watch. And although there are some critiques in us just being super nippicky, because hey, you know what, I doubt anyone of these people that are listening to this podcast actually goes and watches every single Seriously, we have done our time. We get to be super nippicky because we've literally watched them all. But even still, I really liked it. I am giving this a solid eight.
Speaker 2: Princess yay, Oh, I just want to I want to hear you swear all the time.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree with anything that you said. It is an easy watch. It's ninety minutes long. They the two of them together, there are they're stars. There's a reason why the world literally fell in love with both of these girls. Now women who have sold albums and are on television shows and doing this and doing that anything. They yes, and it's because they're really good at it and they're very talented, and and yes, you're right.
Speaker 1: Our job is to nitpick.
Speaker 2: We watch Disney Channel original movies and we point out.
Speaker 1: Flaws, we point out the good part. It's what we do.
Speaker 2: It's our job. So yes, there are holes in this movie. You could drive a truck through and for a lot of it, I just didn't care. They are They're They're great, they and so I'm a little below you, but not too much.
Speaker 1: I'm giving this the solid seven princesses. It is.
Speaker 2: You know, does this have the same kind of gravitas as a script as something like Color of Friendship or Going to the Mat No. Does it have some of the best Disney actors we've seen that really command the screen absolutely, and that there's a re they are who they are, And so this was would love to and I don't think I'll ever say this again about any movie.
Speaker 1: Would love to have gone more Disney with this movie.
Speaker 2: They could have really gone Disney princess with her and made it a kind of a mythical land, which I think would have added to the comedy and would have made the drama pop more. But it was enjoyable. I didn't care about it that much. That's just my writer brain. So yes, a solid seven princesses for this movie.
Speaker 1: It is. It is fun.
Speaker 2: Our next movie, let's see where we're gonna get to swear in this one?
Speaker 1: Finally scratches an itch. Oh, I never liked that sentence. That I've had since we started this podcast.
Speaker 2: Right by the way, if i've we've been on the podcast for almost three years now, if I had a niche for three years, that's when you call somebody. We'll be looking at two thousand and Two's A Ring of Endless Light, which is, believe it or not, our first dolphin d coom.
Speaker 1: I don't know anything about this movie.
Speaker 2: I hope that means that it it's about dolphins, not that it's stars one because I only speak one language and it's not dolphins, so that's gonna be interesting. But you can watch it right now on Disney Plus just to make sure you are ready when it drops. And while we wait, there's no better time to get reacquainted with our dense library of past episodes. We have reviewed over one hundred dcoms, from high school musical to fuzzbucket, or from really bad to amazing Huh, there we go, I'm kidding, reverse it and interview dozens of dcom legends, and all you have to do is search for Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts, the subscribe and they are all in perfect sync right now. For more, you can follow us at Magical rewind Pod at hotmail dot com.
Speaker 1: I'm kidding, everybody's still there.
Speaker 2: You can also follow us on MySpace or I'm killing It's magical rewind Pod on Instagram. Go check us out and drop us a follow. Let us know why you disagree with everything. Sabrina says, thanks everybody, and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 3: Bye bye