Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 3: Everybody's dej n V. Charlamage the guy we are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed, brother Malcolm Jenkins.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Brother, appreciate y'all having me.
Speaker 1: How you're doing I'm blessed Black and Holly favorite. How you doing doing well?
Speaker 2: Doing well?
Speaker 1: Malcolm got a new book I'll called What Winners Won't Tell You. I love that title. Break that title done.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, a lot of the times we see people who have a lot of success, who are champions, and we hold them up high, but oftentimes we don't see, you know, what makes them that way, and oftentimes we kind of glorify that that process and we look at the end of you know, the end result. But for me, I've always been a bridge a bridge builder, and wanted to make sure that I contextualized the thirteen year career that I've just finished, you know, all of the things that I've kind of accomplished by showcasing that journey, that process, that evolution of you know, a man into what you see now, and really that's you know, that's to me, that's what.
Speaker 2: You what you want to do. That's what you want to live. You want to have impact on things. You want to leave people with breadcrumbs to that success. Uh.
Speaker 4: And so I kind of open up the reason I don't have a shirt on on the covers because it's it's a very vulnerable memoir. It's one of the things I showed kind of the failures, the process, how I developed, you know, into the person I am today.
Speaker 2: Nobody he played in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Former NFL player, You got drafted with New Orleans and then you played for the Eagles.
Speaker 2: You got no not at all at all. We know what's gonna happen at the end of the year, go to He said that every year.
Speaker 3: Every year he says that, But you said that last year, said that last year. Now, what made you want to write this book? Now you talk about the winning and losing and being so open and vulnerable. What made you want to write the book at this time?
Speaker 4: So, you know, one of the things is an athlete, your your life is usually documented by other people. Everybody else writes about you, talks about you, and we rarely get to hear the athlete talk about that own.
Speaker 2: Experience and contextualizing for themselves.
Speaker 4: I got two young daughters, like you know that I think a lot about what they what I want to leave to them, how I want them to view me, And so I figured it was better for my story to be told from my own words. So I ended up writing a book myself. You know, Cover to cover is all me, and it's and it's one of those things that I'm always involved in everything I do, so you know, for me, it's one of those things that again everybody doesn't get to see what goes into the process, that goes into the mindset, the cerebral parts of not only football.
Speaker 2: But life, the failures.
Speaker 4: And I think that that's always been important for the people I know who are watching me to see that part of it, because that's the difference. You know, most of the time, they'll you'll see somebody at the top and you you think you can't get there. You seem so different, you know, so far from your example. And hopefully this kind of closes that gap for the reader to see, like, no, these people who have success are just like you. They go through trials, they go through tripulations. Is those who continue to fight, those continue to play, you know, the idea, You know that life is this journey. You don't especially with sports, I think life is like a game. We tend to only enjoy life or the game after we've won. The victory is when you get to enjoy life. But really the winners will tell you that you enjoyed playing the game. In life, you have to enjoy where your feet are, enjoy the process, regardless of the results. And really that's how I've lived my life. That's how I've grown to have success, and I try to live that every day.
Speaker 5: I love in the book you talk about a lot of the things you did as far as in the social justice space because you were the head of the players. When it comes to social justice and being an athlete, what's the balance.
Speaker 2: Man, it's you know.
Speaker 4: One of the things we had to do was find what our role was, you know, because we're not the experts. We're not we're not devoting our lives to be activists, but we do have a role, you know, as role models and a platform to do something. And I think one of the things that we found to be very useful was to place ourselves as conveners. We can bring you know, communities to politicians, to police and use all of the intention that we get to drop to put pressure on you know, those who are in power, especially in our local markets. And that's really how we formulated Incomboldaan myself formulated the Players Coalition as a vehicle for athletes all over the country. If you say I want to get involved, you know, with the things going on in my community, you want to get involved with politics in whatever you want to lobby, here's the educational, the issues locally, Here's who you need to push on, here's people are power, and then here's some resources to put those things together. So you know, we kind of worked through that on our own, and then once we figured out the plan or figured out what worked, we just held the door open for anybody who wanted to come. It started with a group of about twelve athletes and now has expanded to twelve professional leagues of sports, which is far greater than anything I could imagine when we started. It have an impact with you know, grassroots organizations all the way up to you know politics.
Speaker 5: We's some of the accomplishments that the Players Coalition did that we didn't hear about.
Speaker 4: So the majority of the work was like hey, all right, talking about the negotiation with the League and things like that. But what we were able to turn that into, you know, so specifically, and my focus was in Pennsylvania. One of the things I was most proud of was we pushed for a bill to get pass called the Clean Slate Act. And most people don't know one in three people in America have some kind of criminal record, and so what this did was roll back or expunge those records after ten years if you hadn't violated for non violent offenses. And we were like, you know, that's a low hanging fruit, let's get that out of the way. But that ended up affecting like over three million people across the state of Pennsylvania. So that's that affects how you you know, what jobs you can get, where you can live. And it's just that's a very low hanging you know, low hanging fruit when it comes to a policy. And New England guys were doing things. They lobbied to get a bunch of millions of dollars put into the school system to close the digital divide and you know, computers and things like that. So these are happening all over the country Louisiana, Florida, Ohio, all the way to Cali, and it's being done not only by me, but obviously by athletes all over.
Speaker 3: Now when players with kneeling at one time, how did you guys support the players if at all?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I was raising my fist and I was wonder That's how the player coalition kind of came to about it, and I talk about it in the book, just about like that moment everybody wanting to figure out what to do but not quite agreeing, which seems to be over the time and history, a common thread like people having you know, the same ideas a bunch of people want being very passionate about, you know, pushing black people forward or getting involved, but having differences, you know, differences of opinion and strategy. But my biggest thing was always about the work. I'm like, whoever is about, you know, making the change and putting in the time and effort to do it. Let's let's collaborate, let's work together. And we've been doing that over you know, over the course of now, coming up on a decade.
Speaker 5: I feel like you took a lot of you took a lot of heat back then. Yeah, you know, Eric Reed called you a sellout. You know, y'all had y'all if you watch football, your famous confrontation during the game before the game as well, Like, have y'all been able to have a conversation since.
Speaker 4: Then, nah, you know, and a lot of people, you know, even in those times, were like, hey man, you need to reconcile that, you need to squash that. But I've always maintained that, you know, I never wanted to be besides that. And I was very disappointed after that game and myself because I gave the media that image. Last thing I wanted was two black men fighting over you know, trying to say that people were trying to help that people. It's counterintuitive, it doesn't work. So for me, I've always maintained that, like, I'm proud of the work that they did. I'm proud of you know, all of us were trying to figure it out at that time, but it's not me. It's not on me to reconcile the situation. Like, I never had a problem. I don't hold any gripes. I was always focused on the work. I knew that regardless of how you know, I was feeling the things that were coming down to me, that things, what people were saying. My focus was always on the people I got into this not you know, to lift myself up, so my feelings didn't matter. It was like, Okay, what's the goal here, and it's to help. So all of that to me was distractions and I had to stay you know, stay focused on the goal why I was there, why you know I put myself in that position, and just maintain.
Speaker 3: What was your thoughts on everything that's going on with Colin Kaepernick and everything that's happening right now, what's your thoughts on that?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's you know, it's confusing at this time. It's seven years the way you know, it's you almost want him to just kind of like stand on his legacy.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: Any the way that it's being approached now and the way that it's being kind of laid out, it almost you know, it's like worrisome.
Speaker 2: It makes me makes me a little worried. What you mean.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know you're talking about, you know, somebody who wants to play in the Super Bowl that's down like begging to be on a practice squad seven years after later. You know, forget the politics or who he is. Any athlete that's out of the game for seven years and it's still begging to be in a practice squad is concerning to me. It's that now being on the other side of retirement and having to deal with that, that identity change myself, you know that that's that's a it's a strong thing that he's dealing with and you worry about, like, Okay, how does one handle transitioning into the next phase of life, the next chapter, because that one's done, like you can't play football forever, so we need to see, you know, what that next example is. And it's where so many people following them, I think we all want to know, like, all right, what's that?
Speaker 2: What's that next move?
Speaker 3: You know, some people would say that, you know, he's been playing similar to you, I'm sure since you were three years old. So that's all that you know and love, and maybe on the bucket list was playing in the super Bowl or winning a Super Bowl. I should say so for some people who say, maybe he hasn't got that off yet. And then some people would say, you know, like even Charlemagne has mentioned that he feels like that letter was kind of like an embarrassment and the disgrace that you know, you go from pro athlete to super Bowl contended to practice squad.
Speaker 4: Nah, I don't. I don't think anybody want to win a super Bowl that bad. I don't think it's about the super Bowl because that's not what we're talking about, right, We're talking about just getting on the roster.
Speaker 2: But you know who knows.
Speaker 4: I think that's the That's the one thing that that leads the concern is we don't know what the motivation is.
Speaker 2: But I don't know that you know, one is chasing a super Bowl. I think it is.
Speaker 4: I think it comes down to and I'm watching it in many teammates of mine, like even I don't know if you saw Kelsey. Jason Kelsey did a documentary about his life last year. He was trying to decide if he wanted to play or not.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: At the end of it, he goes through all of these things that he loves most, his family's wife, his health, but he is so afraid of moving on to something else. He says, I can't imagine myself being the best in the world of anything else, and so he decides to come back. Is obviously playing again this year, and I watched it. Most people applaud it. I watched it in fear because here you are saying, all the things that you value most, you're willing to sacrifice because you're afraid of stepping.
Speaker 2: Into the unknown.
Speaker 4: Dang, And I think that's one of the things that, like, I know, for me, the opening chapter in my book is fear. I've learned to always like step into the things I'm afraid of. And that's how I knew I was ready to step away from the game is because the only thing that was holding me there. I had made enough money, my body was healthy, I was focused on other things. But the only thing really keeping me there was the fact that I was afraid to step into the unknown of You know, I've been playing football since I was seven, same same type of thing. But for me, my response is to lean into that. So it's I think there is a lot of that going on with athletes right now, and I think with Kaepernick being who he is and what he means to especially our people, I think, you know, we always want him to be the example, but I think it's a great kind of reminder that everybody's human.
Speaker 2: Everybody's dealing with their own stuff.
Speaker 5: And oftentimes too, when you when you're when you're when you don't let go of something you block a lot of your blessings. You never know what the future is going hold if you keep holding onto the past.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I never thought I would write a book. Never, Never in my life thought I would write a book.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't until like, yeah, you start to let go of these ideas of who you're supposed to be and these limitations we've kind of put on ourselves and you lean into the unknown and say, well, okay, I can't tell myself. I can't do this until I've proven myself, you know, untilntil life proves that I can't do something, I have to always assume that I can. And for me, it's just always about like trying to span, you know, the human experience as much as possible.
Speaker 2: I'm a forever learner. I'm curious about everything.
Speaker 4: And the more and more you learn, the more you do, you start to realize, you know that there are no limitations that any of the problems that you have in your life, you are going to be a base of that solution and you know, and that's a journey. It's not easy to get there. That that takes a lot of trial and error.
Speaker 1: I love why you started chapter two.
Speaker 5: You started with a quote we must all suffer one or two pains, the pain of discipline or the pain and regret regret.
Speaker 1: Which one did you suffer them all?
Speaker 4: I think I suffer both until I learned, you know, the pain of discipline. I think I think I've gotten so much more comfortable in the pain of discipline than the pain of regret. Both hurt, though, And I think you know, especially when you talk about like even love is one of those things. Is I've come to find love is like an action word. I take love out as a noun in my vocabulary because we often love in feelings. But to really love somebody, or even love yourself, it looks like discipline.
Speaker 2: It doesn't.
Speaker 4: We're looking in the mirror and say, I feel good about myself, so I love myself. I feel confident, so I must love myself, And so we love everybody else with feelings. But when you start to just look at actions, like how what are the things you do to love yourself?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Do you have discipline with what you eat, how you work out, how you take care of yourself?
Speaker 2: You know? Do you go places you don't need to? Are you reading?
Speaker 4: Are you cultivating these parts of yourself? Those things are uncomfortable. They take discipline, but they always expand who you are. They help you grow, they help you go to where you're trying to get to. And I think a lot of the times we try to avoid the being uncomfortable, you know, we try to avoid that discipline and end up just still being uncomfortable with the results because we regret it not having that, you know, not taking advantage of those times. So for me, I'm always trying to focus on, you know, the end, go doing those small things daily that starve yourself. Maybe sometimes it's some enjoyment, but at the same time, you know you're moving in the direction you want to go.
Speaker 3: Now, you mentioned earlier your two daughters, and I always ask athletes when they come up here, if you did have a son, would you want your son to play in the NFL.
Speaker 2: I don't think I would have a desire for the play if he wanted to.
Speaker 4: You know, for sure, I got all the keys to show you how to get there and stay there. And it's and you know, it's a dangerous sport, but everything is dangerous. And I think one of the things about me my first first half of my career, I was I would get these nagging injuries my neck. I talked about in the book, I had to get a bunch of epidor shots to my neck. I'm like, I thought those were just for women. Yeah, I was getting them in my neck to play football. You're on heavy kind of anti inflammatories things like that. So there are the negative things. But when I stopped trying to hurt people in the game, I stopped trying to punish my defenders, I stopped getting hurt and I played eight seasons straight with no injuries, which is absurd in the NFL. So there is a way to play the game. There's a way to kind of move about it, take care of yourself that is safe. But obviously it's it's a violent sport. But the things that I've learned learned from playing football are things that you know, have made me who I am. I think they give me an advantage in any situation. You know, you talk about, you know, stepping away from the game and being Since seven years old, you've been trained to be a leader. You've been training a problem solve, You've been trained to go through processes to evaluate yourself, to evaluate your opponent, fail, do.
Speaker 2: It all over again, like Live on routine.
Speaker 4: Like, all of those things are things that when you get out into the world you see regular people CEOs all the way down struggle with Yet we've been equipped to do this and been kind of trained to do that, So I you know, it's a trade off. You know, I think some of those things are good, some of them bad. It's just up to If I had a sign, it would really be up to him, gotcha.
Speaker 5: And you know Tom Brady wrote the forward of your book explaining that relationship, but I would never have Tom Brady.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know, we were looking obviously we titled it, you know, what, was going to tell you lessons from a legendary defender.
Speaker 2: We're kind of like, all right, well, who do we get to write the forward?
Speaker 4: And Tom's name came up, and I'm like, guys, like I've been trolling Tom about.
Speaker 2: This Super Bowl exa for a few years now.
Speaker 4: I don't know if Tom's gonna write it, but you know, and I think about as a defender, who who was my favorite opponent?
Speaker 2: It was Tom Brady. Loved playing Tom.
Speaker 4: He always brought the best out of me as a player, and you know, he's the greatest of all time. So I just kind of shot my shot shot of the text and he obliged. You know, that was and it was kind of the cherry on top of the book definitely, you know, a stamp.
Speaker 2: I appreciated him for that.
Speaker 1: Did you have a relationship before that?
Speaker 4: Really just a mutual you know, relationship respects like an opponent being peers in the league. But no, we're not like friends. We don't hang out. So this is really just based off of like I see you, you see me type of thing.
Speaker 5: Now you said he's the greatest of all time? Do yeah, so you stand by he's the greatest quarterback of all time?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Why because he does the ordinary better than everybody? Oh, Like, I look at Aaron Rodgers and I'm looking at his skill set, Like, okay, Aaron Rodgers is probably the tougher one to play because he has a skill set that really nobody else has, Like on the field hard but tom like, he he's not fastening. Everybody's people have better arm talent. He you know, there have been other cerebral quarterbacks. But it's like, well, why is he having a success He has? And it's because of his process. He does all the ordinary things better than everybody else. And I think that's that to me, is like the cheat code of life, Like you can there's always gonna be people with God given talent, but you master the things that don't take talent and watch how far it goes.
Speaker 5: I feel like, man, what you just said makes so much sense. When you look at the people who have God given talent, they usually do the basics better than everybody. Like they usually do something as simple as practice harder than everybody.
Speaker 4: I mean, think about you look at Steph Curry, Jordan all these who like Kobrie, they talk about practicing like they don't talk about like, ah, yeah, I gotta you know, I can jump high, So that's I just jumped over. No. They doing the very simple things over and over and over again, and we only.
Speaker 2: See it in the game like, oh this is crazy.
Speaker 4: You don't realize he's just been doing the same drill since the age of seven, right, and so now it's like clockwork body.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a muscle memory.
Speaker 4: And I think that's that's something I've always been fascinated in and try to do myself, is like what can I you know, instead of trying to be the best at some guy giving talent or do these amazing things like how do you.
Speaker 2: Just do the do the ordinary better than everybody else?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Now you were just inducted into the Ohio State Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: So congratulations that.
Speaker 3: Now, just if you could go back and change it, because you know, we talk about all the things you stand for. Now, would you prefer or would you rather went to HBCU.
Speaker 4: Both of my parents went to North Carolina A and T. I think going back, no, it was a different time, right, I think right now the way that there's a tension on it, there's people willing to put resources behind the programs and all that happened. Of course I would now, you know, I think back then you would have just kind of been selling yourself short.
Speaker 2: It's like you you need the.
Speaker 4: Entire environment, you need the coaches to come out to one player coming, you need the coach Like what Dion was doing, you know for hbc USERS was a movement and that's the thing.
Speaker 2: What is what we wanted to see.
Speaker 4: That's what would have made it, you know, advertising for me as an athlete, and you know, but I do look at these athletes now who are doing it, like I wish I had, I wish the environment was like that when I was coming out.
Speaker 5: We have those conversations, man, But I keep thinking, I keep I want people to remember de anomaly, man, like Dion was one of the.
Speaker 1: Biggest stars in the world.
Speaker 5: Because it's not like Eddie George is coaching right right, like we could be supported.
Speaker 1: It's because it's Dion, Like that's what It's not a.
Speaker 2: Huge Jackson's in Hugh Jackson's coaching too, right, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, like I said, he's not the only one. But it is the Dion effect for sure. It's the It's not just the on field stuff and coaching is the attention you're bringing, the message that you're bringing, the pride and kind of you know, the showmanship that you bring to it too.
Speaker 2: You gotta make it cool.
Speaker 1: How did your trip to Ghana uh influence your advocacy?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just changed your life, period, It changed everything. You know, you start to I think all of us have a bit of an identity crisis at some point. You know, if you're African American, you want to know where you came from. And at the lowest point in my life, it was like one of the most critical moments in my in the book. I needed to get away, and I was like, I always wanted to go to Africa. So I went to Ghana and it was just to be around something, you know, a place that's all black.
Speaker 2: Or a week and a half.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize how much I needed that until I came back. I was like, I hadn't I hadn't even thought about being black for a week and a half.
Speaker 2: And I was like, that must be what white privilege feels like.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, oh, you know, it's like you didn't realize you needed those spaces to get away. And so just going to the slave castles, the door and overturn, you just feel this this connection with your ancestry that I hadn't had before, and so and even just nature and all of those things. So for me it was it was life changing change my perspective of like what's important?
Speaker 2: What's my role here?
Speaker 4: Like you don't I don't strive to have success in this kind of like American society. It's like, I'm here for a purpose. I'ma live here, that's what I call home. But I don't have to buy into the ideology you have a you have something before slavery. Now to tap into a history to to explore and I think that that that was mentally liberating for me. Do you think your daughters, Uh, No, they haven't been yet.
Speaker 2: We've been. We've been to the continent.
Speaker 4: We were in like Northern Africa, Morocco, Americas, but they haven't been a gane yet.
Speaker 1: Y'all took off for of mine and my seven year old she's eight now.
Speaker 5: She she literally was like, where are the white people that.
Speaker 2: I talked about in the book? The only white face I saw it was Jesus and they have him white. Jesus is everywhere. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: But I did bring I brought my two brothers. Uh, brought some of my frat brothers. I've been there like four times. The last time and we closed out the book with it is the time I bring my parents. They always wanted to get to the continent, and so I bring them with, bring them with me, and they had had a blast.
Speaker 3: The brother gotta go because he got TV this morning too, So you got to pick up the new book that Winders will tell you what. We appreciate you. Thank you for joining us this morning. Pick up the book right now, Malcolm Jenkins. It's the Breakfast Club, good morning, wake that.
Speaker 2: Ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club