Speaker 1: Apple's AI update is now available. What you can actually do with it right now on your iPhone. Disney Plus is copying one of Netflix's most popular features, and it might change how you find what to watch next. Nintendo launched a surprise new app that lets you stream forty years of gaming history. How you can get it for free? Plus your tech questions answered? What's going on Rich dmiro And this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. All right, my favorite part of the week. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I bet it's Kim's favorite part of the week as well, because she gets to deal with you. She is our first line of defense here. She will answer your call and gets you in the queue to be on the show. Give me call if you have a question about technology. Email is also open. You can go to rich on tech dot tv and hit contact once again, Rich on tech dot tv, hit contact and that will bring it right to my inbox. All right. Coming up on the show today, We've got We're gonna take you to tech Crunch Disrupt. This is a convention up in San Francisco, where I was this week. We'll talk to some innovative startups and of course TechCrunch editor in chief Connie Loysis. Then a little bit later in the show, we're going to talk to Apple's Health and Watch product marketing director dedre Callbeck. She is going to discuss the new AirPods Pro Hearing Aid feature. They also have hearing protection and I did take the test. I'll tell you what my results were later on in the show. And later in the show, social media cyber security influencer Caitlin Serian, known as cyber Security Girl, will join us with some online safety tips. Well, hopefully you had an excellent Halloween. I know I did with the kids. It's just wild. We've been doing Halloween with the same group of friends now for thirteen years and it's just wild. Like all of our kids have grown up and it became you know, like when we first started, the kids would just make it down like you know, three or four houses on the street. Now we're walking all over the place. And it's just a whole different ballgame. They're going by themselves for an hour. So it's really been fun to watch that progression. I really enjoy Halloween. I think it's one of the sort of universal fun holidays for a lot of people because you could just let loose as an adult or a kid. It's equally fun for both. But I do tell you this for a reason. It is the November slide into the holidays. We're into November, and I'm telling you the holidays will be here before you know it. So start that planning now for the gifts and the things you want to get. Because here's what I do. Like I did on Halloween, I was literally shopping for my Halloween costume the morning of Halloween. Why did I wait until the morning of Halloween, I don't know. I had so many days before Halloween. I decorated the house the very first day you could legally speaking, which is like, you know, the first weekend in October. I think whatever it was. I was like, all right, it's a cool day in la I'm decorating the house. And so I did that, and of course I'll take down those decorations and I'll put up the Christmas decorations right away. Because I'm that person I like to get the maximum. It is a lot of work to put the decorations out and to put them back, take them back, and so I like to get the maximum time out of those decorations. But when the holiday's over, I am done. I want those things out of my sight. So anyway, get ready for the slide into the holidays. You heard it here first. It is happening very very quickly. This week. It's all about Apple. I know, before you send me those angry emails. Hey, you were there when I talked about Pixel, you were there when I talked about Samsung. This show offers equal coverage to all of the major tech companies. This happens to be Apple's week because they launched a lot of new stuff. First off, Apple Intelligence. I'll tell you about that, and then i'll get into the new Mac computers as well. So let's start with Apple Intelligence. Maybe you're already playing with this on your smartphone, on your iPhone. This is on the iPhone fifteen Pro models and above, so iPhone fifteen Pro, Promax and the iPhone sixteen models. So you have to update your software to iOS eighteen point one, and then you have to opt into Apple Intelligence in the settings. There's a new setting after you update your phone called Apple Intelligence, and Siri you say yes, I want to be in, and then it will take you on a little wait list and suddenly your phone will say, oh, you got it. A couple hours later, and now you have access to these things. Here's what you can do today. Enhanced writing tools. That's number one. So anywhere you see a blinker a cursor blinking on the iPhone, you now have access to these new writing tools. So you can select them some text and you can rewrite it. You can summarize it, you can make it a list, a table. You can use AI driven grammar adjustments. So I was talking to grammarly up in San Francisco. I said, ah, is this kind of like really bad for your business because it's now built into the iPhone And from my experience, yeah, it's probably not a good thing. They said they were focusing more on business at this point because that's where the growth is. I guess. So you got those enhanced writing tools, that's probably the biggest thing. Like if you write something on Facebook or Instagram, you can highlight your text and proof free to summarize it. Change it, make it friendly, make it fun, make it business, whatever you want. That's throughout the whole phone. Now you've got a new natural series. So when you bring up Siri this time, by pressing the side button, your phone is going to glow around the edges. That's kind of like the new thing. That's what they were teasing when they called the event glow time. Of course, none of this stuff was ready in time, so it was a really off sync, very rare miss for Apple in this respect, but that's what happened, and now it all makes sense why they were so into the glowing stuff when there was no glowing stuff when it came to the new iPhones until a month later. So now they glow. So when you bring up Siri, she glows, and that's very exciting, I guess. But Siri has gotten smarter, like Apple has said for ten years now and I haven't seen it, but it's supposedly smarter. And you can also do this to it. So if you're saying something like setting a timer and you say, oh, set a timer for five I mean seven, I mean nine minutes, Siri will understand what you're trying to say. That you just wanted that timer for nine minutes, whereas before you might have gotten an error back photos app. I know it's very confusing the redesign of the photos app that is still being worked through. My advice there is to scroll all the way to the bottom and use the customization option, get rid of all the nonsense that Apple added, and just get the most important stuff to you, which for me is basically just recent photos of my favorite photos. But that may vary depending on what you need. But now when you search in the Photos app, you can search by describing stuff inside your photos, so that will work for photos and videos. So if you want someone in a red bathing suit jumping into a pool, you can search that and it will find that picture for you. The cleanup tool, this is probably the thing that you might use the most. This is what we saw come to Samsung and Pixel months ago. Now it is available maybe years ago on the Pixel, but this is now available on the iPhone. So if you go in to edit a photo, you'll see a new cleanup tool and it will erase unwanted objects and images from your unwanted objects and people from your images very simply, very easily. It works really well, again it glows when you kind of brush over the thing that you want to erase. So again there's that glow, and so that works. I mean it's pretty good. It's not perfect, but it works pretty well. Then everything is sort of prioritized and summarized when it comes to your notifications and your emails. So you'll notice your notifications are sort of summarized and also grouped together, which I really like. You can also get priority email notifications. But again, think about this. All the features I've talked about, except for the writing, really pushes you deeper into that Apple ecosystem. You're not going to get a lot of these summarizations and things if you're not using Apple Mail, if you're not using Apple messages, if you're not using Apple Photos. See what's happening here. It's Apple Intelligence. They're locking you even deeper into that Apple ecosystem. If you're all in it, it's great, it's gonna work very nicely. But for someone like myself who's using mostly Google products for my mail and my photos, and I use third party apps for mostly everything, this is not going to work so well because when I'm searching for stuff, it's not looking an iCloud. It's not looking in the photos app, it's not looking in the notes app on the iPhone, it's not able to look in the apps that I'm using. So maybe in the future they'll log hook into some of these third party apps as well. Okay, this is pretty cool. In your phone app, you can now record phone calls and transcribe them. This is great for myself as a journalist because I was on the phone with a PR person. I said, hey, do you mind if I record this call. It's much easier. I don't have to take notes. So now you can record the calls, not only get the recording of that conversation, but also get the full transcript and summarized notes. I find that the notes are a little hit or miss, but this is just the beginning. You can also record and summarize just regular audio recordings on your phone as well, which is really nice. Coming soon. This is coming in December. Those personalized emojis, they call them gen moojis, so you'll be able to create an emoji of anything you want. So if you want to fish swimming on a bagel, you can make that. If you're chatting with someone, it will even suggest things in your chats to make emoji's access to Chat GIBT, so Siri will connect to chat GBT come December. And then of course visual intelligence. You can actually scan things kind of like Google Lens using the iPhone camera, and they'll have an image playground as well where you can generate images. I got a preview of that at the Apple event this week here in LA and Apple's doing a really nice job with their image generation. It's very very like Hollywood esque, like they did a really nice job. Uh So that's it. That's the Apple Intelligence. That's what you can do with it right now. Is it groundbreaking, It's good for iPhone users. I think. Is it as amazing as what we have on the Pixel and the Samsung. I think it's similar. I think that some things are better, some things are a little worse, And you know, at the end of the day, I think what Apple does best is make you work with Apple products more and more. So that's that coming up. I will tell you about the Apple computers. They have some new Apple Mac computers. I'll tell you about that. Plus Microsoft is tossing a lifeline to Windows ten users. I'll have that. Plus your calls at Triple eight rich one O one that's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one O one that's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Phone lines are open. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. And if you've noticed we are doing songs that are bobo. Did you know what these songs are? Can you tell they are? They're crowd pleasing karaoke songs. That's what I tried to fit. Yeah, so my my go to is always, uh, don't stop believing what's yours? So it makes a lot baby got back. Yeah, that's always always if you want to get that crowd going right, that's the song. All right, let's go to uh Dennis in Pasadena, California. Dennis, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 2: Hey, Rich, thank you stick my call. Hey, So I have air I have air Pods Pro second generation. I have an Apple iPhone sixteen Pro and I just did the.
Speaker 3: Hearing test a couple of days ago.
Speaker 2: I guess you know, maybe uh I heard that they there was a way that uh the AirPods, the AirPods could help with a little bit of hearing loss, which I do have.
Speaker 1: Anyway, how is the test result.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny. It's said there was no uh, did not detect hearing loss.
Speaker 3: And I know I have hearing loss.
Speaker 1: I'm a musician, so that's not good. That's good.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. Ever, since I did that test, I'm noticing that I'm my air pods are distorting when I'm talking to someone on the phone, Like you know what digital distortion sounds like, when it's maxing out a little bit, you get like a glitch. Yeah, hearing that in the in the air pods only when I'm speaking on the phone and it's the voice of the person that i'm speaking with, Like right now, I'm hearing it speaking to you, so.
Speaker 1: You can, okay, when I talked to when I talk to you, it sounds garbled and kind of messed up digitized.
Speaker 2: It's not garbled.
Speaker 3: It's just every once in a while hear a little okay.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds it sounds like maybe something happened when you did this hearing test, like maybe one of the settings got changed on your phone as a result of this test. I'm not sure. It could be just pure coincidence that this is happening. But here are the steps that I would take to sort of troubleshoot this and reset things and get them back to normal. So first off, I would go into your settings, the accessibility settings under audio and visual there is something called headphone accommodations, so you can see if there's any sort of and you can search for all this stuff. By the way, you can just search for headphone accommodations and settings and then see if that's turned on. And so if that's turned on, that might be that might be doing it, So I would turn that off and that might get you back to normal. And by the way, before you do anything, just go ahead and restart your phone. So that's like number one. Before you do anything, just restart your phone. Then the second thing to check is the equalizer setting. So if you just type in on your search again eq and this is in the music app so this may not apply to your calls, but you can see if you have any sort of equalizer settings on. And then if none of that works, I would probably do a reset of all of your settings. So you can go into Settings general reset reset all settings, and that will reset pretty much all of these settings that you've customized on your phone. Now, I know it's a little extreme, but if you want this to work again, that might be what you have to do. So you can do that as well. This will reset sort of a lot of things on your phone, like the Wi Fi passwords, the Bluetooth connections, So only do that as the last resort. You can also try a reset of the air pods, and so let's see can you reset There's got to be a way to force a restart of AirPods. This says, let's see how to reset your AirPods and AirPods pro. So I would do that as well, and that involves putting your putting them in their case, waiting thirty seconds and then let's see here tap forget this device, and so I would do that, and then you can press the setup button on the front to repair those. So I would probably try that first before you do anything. So first reset your phone. Then I would disconnect the AirPods, reconnect them, and then I would go into the other things where you're resetting all the settings and hopefully that fixes it. I know what you're talking about. When it's when you get something like this, it's very frustrating because my wife sometimes she'll call me in my car and whatever forever, whatever reason, the connections all garbily and she'll just be like, oh, you sound like a monster, and all you have to do is just disconnect and call back and it works fine. So these things happen. I mean, none of this stuff is perfect. And there was an update. You must have gotten it obviously on the AirPods. There was an AirPods software update that also enabled the change for that hearing test. So good question, Dennis. Thanks a lot for the call today. Do appreciate it. I took the hearing test as well. I will tell you how that went a little bit later on when we talked to Apple's Dedra Callbeck about this test. She's going to explain what it's all about. Yeah, So if you run Microsoft Windows ten, you've got a little bit of a lifeline, but you're gonna have to pay for it. So Windows Microsoft is giving you an extra year of security updates for thirty dollars. So official support ends next October October fourteenth, twenty twenty five, and they've announced that consumers can purchase an extended security updates for thirty dollars for one year only. So do you think Windows updates are worth thirty dollars for a year? I don't think so. But you know, if you want to be protected for one more year, maybe you have a certain mission critical program that you're running on there that you do not want to switch to Windows eleven with, that will be a good way to do it. Business is totally completely different. They have different pricing sixty one dollars for the first year, and then they have options for the next two years. After that. You won't get any new features or bug fixes or tech support, but you will get critical important security updates for another year. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. We will get back to those phone lines in just a bit. But first, this week I was in San Francisco to attend tech Crunch Disrupt. This is a gathering of tech innovators, founders and visionaries and Connie Loysis is editor in chief at tech Crunch. First I talked with her about the hottest topic at the show, which is AI, of course, and what makes this event so special.
Speaker 4: Tech Crunch really is about giving people a front road of the future of technology. And so what's wonderful about Disrupt where we are right now, is it brings the people that are focused on the site and that community here in one place. It's founders, it's seasoned operators, it's investors who want to look at the next thing, and there's really no better place to network. There's like ten thousand people on site, many of them local, but many of them from a variety of countries. I think we have at least thirty five countries are represented here. So it's really really exciting.
Speaker 5: I think we come for a variety of reasons.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think especially this year, they're very focused on trying to understand what's happening in AI from an ethics and policy standpoint, in terms of how it's impacting traditional industries. Really all of those sectors are talking about the same thing, which is AI. I mean, AI is basically the Internet, it's mobile, It's undergirds everything, and people are just trying to understand what's happening because it's impacting things so rapidly.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: I've always found the people the most fascinating. I mean, I had the privilege of covering this industry for more than twenty years, and the players keep changing and they are fascinating. I mean, it's interesting. I just find some of the most effective leaders are the best storytellers. So you know, Sam Altman, for example of open Ai is a wonderful storyteller, and Vinodakosla is a really fascinating character. There's just so many people that are so important to the future of the world. Candidly, who are are here? I think that people make the product absolutely. I think people have to a be great storytellers where they have to be solving a problem that people need, and they have to be able to motivate people. They have to be able to sort of get investors on board and entrepreneurs on board and also interest people like myself.
Speaker 5: At tech Crunch.
Speaker 1: Next up, I spoke with Christian from the Electronic Front It's Your Foundation. This is a nonprofit fighting for our digital rights.
Speaker 7: EFF is a nonprofit that essentially fights to make sure that you have your rights when you go online, So we fight for privacy, free speech, right to repair, that kind of stuff. So we're here today spreading the word about our work, accepting donations, all that kind of fun stuff. We're really trying to push for a better comprehensive consumer privacy law in the United States to try and help people stay on end to end encrypted messaging, make sure that data brokers can't take your location data, all that kind of fun stuff.
Speaker 1: Now, I thought this was a really interesting startup. It's called Romanto, and they're helping families preserve their precious memories.
Speaker 8: Well, Romatto is all about capturing and preserving your family stories.
Speaker 1: So we're basically helping you.
Speaker 8: Find stories that your parents have by helping you choose questions for them, and then we sends those questions to them. Every week, they record themselves answering the question, and we turned these recordings into written stories that we then print into a hardcover book.
Speaker 9: That hard coppet books that show R codes that you can then scan.
Speaker 8: To view the original recording. And so that way you have a beautiful keepsake book physically in your room, in your living room, for example, but you can also always hear the voice behind those stories by scanning the chart.
Speaker 9: So that story is my co founder story.
Speaker 8: So his dad died during ninety eleven and he never got a chance.
Speaker 9: To hear his dad stories unfortunately.
Speaker 8: And then his mom was diagnosed with a fairly bleak cancer cancer, and so he decided to just interview her and try to get as much info out of his mom as he could, mostly for his children, so that they would know his their grandma. She's alive, she's fine. It makes it way easier. We've iterated on many approaches to actually get people to record these stories and get people to ask their parents to record these stories. It's a bit of an awkward process depending on how you approach it. We made it a gift that was it was like, here's a gift for you, mom, right, so it feels perfectly natural, and for their parents it feels like, you know, you're showing them love by wanting to get to know them better. And a lot of those parents are like willing to get over the bit of awkwardness that they feel initially to be like, all right, I'll share my story with you.
Speaker 1: At events like these. You used to exchange physical business cards and I'm sure many people still do, but a lot of that has changed. People are now scanning their LinkedIn QR codes or they're using a digital business card.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So Hi Hello is a digital business card and branding platform. So instead of carrying on paper cards, you can just use a QR code and share everything with people. You can share LinkedIn personal info, everything like that. We also offer like email signatures, virtual backgrounds, so it comes with the whole package and you can brand it anyway and the branding is consistent across.
Speaker 1: All these platforms.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so you don't need.
Speaker 6: To carry around anything. It's just all on your phone, so it's super easy. And then whether or not the other person has the app or not, they can download your contacts super easily. And then if you have the app, it's great because you can keep your contacts all in one place.
Speaker 5: And if you're a company, you can.
Speaker 6: Even integrate it with your CRM, so all your leads come in into the same spot, which is great Yeah, across conferences and everything.
Speaker 1: I also like an app named Poppel. They do a pretty good digital business card. Next up, I talked to two young Harvard founders about their startup called mab Lab, which is making test strips to detect spiked drinks.
Speaker 11: Hi, my name is Fienna Sparks. I'm the CEO and co founder of mab Blob. Yeah, so here mad Blob. We're building test trips to look like this, which tests for spike drinks and lead drugs, be able to test the fine most likely in common relation agents.
Speaker 1: Likely to cause a deadly overdose.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Revel was inspired after my co founder and I lost a close friends to a jog overdose a little over two years ago.
Speaker 9: And is this where do you see this being used?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 11: So, we're primarily targeting selling the university health services, harm production centers, so nonprofits in the greater community, and may mainly being able to have as many consumers as possible, being able to use our touch trip, and being as accessible as possible to as many people. Yeah, so you pick up a test trip could be at your local student health services, or it could be higher way at CBS Walgreens on the way to a music festival. You'd be able to quickly be able to test and drinks if someone gave you whether it's been spiked or not, or if the drug, being able to quickly test the drug what it's Tamia at least some stance like fentanyl or zalazy that could potentially harm you as a little as two to three grades.
Speaker 1: Finally, I spoke with Richard Sanders of Astreas and at an event like this, if you want to get someone's attention, try putting out some chocolates, which is exactly what they did.
Speaker 12: So as there's an AI power give a performance coach, right, So what you see that the space candies are really our first iteration of curated chocolates, right, So they have all the micro nutrients that an elite performer, where a surgeon or astronaut requires to do their day to day high cognitive tasks. Right, So that the platform that we're curating is meant to be to democratize the need for a nutritionists to dietitian a performance code through how do I power all that into an app so that a normal user can get those recommendations and that information.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 12: I can't really afford nine people to tell me how to live a better than healthy performance life, right, but I have goals.
Speaker 9: I want to train.
Speaker 12: For an iron Man or I want to do This iteration is based off so we've worked with NASA astronauts. This iteration is actually on the ISS Space station right now with astronauts. We've worked with surgeons, to neurosurgeons and former instative like high performing athletes.
Speaker 10: So this is.
Speaker 9: Profiled out of that day.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 12: So in the future, the idea is to create personalized nutrition for the user.
Speaker 9: Right, So what is your goals? What do you need to do?
Speaker 12: So whether it's better sleep or for females.
Speaker 9: Whether it's better skin, better hair.
Speaker 12: We have skews we're working on that have different ingredients, so instead of taking seventeen vitamins, you're taking one delicious chocolate.
Speaker 1: There you have an innovation. At tech Crunch Disrupt twenty twenty four, there is one theme I noticed behind every tech breakthrough is usually a human story and a desire to solve a real world problem. Phone lines are open triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. My name is rich Damiro and this is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology. The phone line triple eight rich one O one that's eight eight eight seven four to two four one one zero one. The website for the show is rich on tech dot tv. While you're there, to be sure to sign up for my free newsletter. Also, if you want links to anything I mentioned in the show, you can hit the light bulb at the top of the page. This is show number ninety six. So if you want some of the startups I just mentioned at tech Crunch, you can get the links there. Uh. And then finally, if you want to email me, you can hit contact to get in touch. That way, let's go to Mike and Tucson. Mike, you're on with rich Hey.
Speaker 3: Rich Hey actually follved a little bit of it while on hold. But the bottom line is okay, if I have desk top PC unning the windows tam it up good Windows eleven at a year and a half of doom. But the bottom line is I noticed about four months ago my Chrome started stop like going to websites, I couldn't get anywhere, okay to try me nuts and so past three or four months I've been using Mozella, Firefox and Fine. About a day and a half ago, like I couldn't get out to like anything all right. And the other thing to throw in a range is I noticed when this started happening four months ago. If I tried to scan a file with Windows Defender, like right click and open it, I would just get Instead of Windows Defender opening, I just got like a white box. It just wouldn't it just wouldn't work.
Speaker 13: Byte.
Speaker 3: I took it off the other day. One thing I trouble to shoot it while on hold is driving me nuts because I have like almost, you know, nine hundred make speed to Comcast. One thing I did is on the back of my desktop and I tried trouble shooting. I tried set me my DNS settings all and said, I unplugged the Ethernet cable behind my desktop. There's a plug into the router and now I'm going Wi Fi and everything works perfect.
Speaker 1: Ah, okay, so is my speeds.
Speaker 3: Were only three hundred. But I was able to plug it back in and I could check like my speed and I got like nine hundred. But then I try to open like other websites and nothing happened on the tabs. So everything seems to be working perfectly on my Wi Fi, but not with my Obviously I could a couple of shoot eat in that cable, but.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds like okay, so when you had it plugged in, you were able to do a speed test. How did you do that?
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was able to to go to uh, like the top speed test, and that worked. I got nine hundred speed. I said, ooh, maybe that works. And I tried opening up another tab to like go to Costco and I'll like just sit there and like go hung up and like would and go. But what the other thing I noticed is once I unplugged the Easternite cable and I'm working off a Wi Fi, it seems like everything opens faster. It's like, wow, i'ven't done that in years. Wow, I've been doing this wired. But when I when I do the Wi Fi, everything works, and I try to write click on a PVF and open up Windows Defender, it's still white.
Speaker 1: Well that's my no. I think it's related. I think that's because when you're opening up Windows Defender, it is it's bringing up a web page and it's trying to load that, probably through the same method that it uses to load everything else. So, okay, a couple things. So first off, what I would do is troubleshoot your internet connection, your wired internet connection. So I would reset if you change you said, you change your DNS or kind of tweaked your DNS, I would reset your DNS settings if you know how to do that inside the settings in control panel or settings on your Mac. So I would get rid of that, because whenever I have any issue with my connection, it seems to be related to the fact that a lot of times I'll switch to using Google's DNS or you know, the public DNS or whatever to make things faster or pages load, you know, resolve quicker. So first off, I would do that, reset your Internet settings back to the factory. That's number one. Now when it comes to Chrome, it sounds like there's something wonky going on with Chrome as well, so I would do a re set of all of this settings on Chrome. So it sounds like you know how to tinker on these things a little bit. So maybe you've changed some things that don't exactly agree with your Internet anymore, or there could be just something that's keeping these pages from loading, just a setting that's gone bad that you may be changed in the past that just no longer working. So the fact that Firefox is working okay tells me that this might be related to mostly Chrome and something inside Chrome, but it should be working. So what I would do is go to Settings on Chrome and then you so it's those three little lines in the upper right hand corner, and then you tap settings again, and then you'll see on the left hand side under Settings there's a whole list of things you can do, but one of them says settings, and then you tap that says restore settings to their original defaults. So once you tap that, it says this will reset your startup page, your new tab page, your search engine, and your pinned tabs. It will also disable all extensions and clear temporary data like cookie, so your bookmark's history and save passwords will not be cleared. Once you do that, that will reset everything back to factory on the Chrome browser and things should work after that. So let me know if that helps or if that works, just email me on the website, Rich on tech dot tv hit contact. Don't expect you to do it right now while we're on the phone, but that's the way that I would do it, and that should probably bring things back. It sounds like this is either it's either an internet connection thing, like somehow you've tweaked your internet connection settings where it's it's just not agreeing with the Wi Fi or the wired connection versus the Wi Fi or it's actually a chrome thing now by the way, when it comes to the speed, you said you got three hundred when you were doing Wi Fi versus nine hundred or six hundred whatever it was when you were doing the connect the hardline connection. That's pretty typical. So you know, these internet companies when they advertise the speeds, they're advertising the speed you would get if you would plug your computer into your router, and that's going to be the fastest speed. As soon as you go Wi Fi, you know you're looking at a drop of upwards of fifty percent of your speed. Now, most of us have pretty good speed these days, so it's not that big of a deal. And of course we're not uploading and downloading or mostly uploading huge files. So I am which is why I've got, you know, pretty good internet, And if I ever want to do anything that's really intense with the Internet, I will actually switch to a wired connection, which will make things a heck of a lot faster. So hopefully that clears things up for you there. That is very frustrating to not have the internet that is really really frustrating. Thanks for the call, Mike. Let's see if we can get Tony and Sanya sidro before we got to go to break here. Tony, what's up, Hi, I'm doing well. What's what can I help you with?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 14: I got a little situation. So I have two ponds right now that I just got about four days ago. I ordered them new opig sold nine pro xl Okay. I order also the iPhone sixteen Pro Max, the one terrified. So the first problem I have with a pixel before the update, it was actually a working, excellent, perfect, not a single problem after the update. You know the under fifteen right now has the problem with the bus or not so right now, it's the phone is terrible, constantly overheating and shutting down. Can't even if I'm making a call with five minutes. Within five minutes, my phone becomes overheating super hard. So I contact Google and they said that basically they follow a bug report, and they said that they're working on a past because they know that they you know that I get the update mets up a lot of phones.
Speaker 1: I didn't notice any I didn't notice any issues. I updated the pixel and I haven't noticed. So you could have you know a bad pixel? I think that. I mean, have you tried restarting this thing and making sure all the updates?
Speaker 10: Rese it?
Speaker 14: I rese it I raised my account and log in without an account and use the phone normally, and he does the same thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I would return this then if that's the case. I mean, did you order this direct from Google?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 14: No, I actually ordered directly from a company, which is Verizon, and I I'm gonna shoop it back. Yeah, They're willing to shoop another one, but I'm just afraid.
Speaker 13: To actually, you know, get in another one to have the same problem.
Speaker 1: I've had no issues with the pixel whatsoever, so I think that it's it's run cool for me. Uh, there's no software update issues that I've seen, So I think maybe you got a lemon and just something went wrong with that that phone at some point during the manufacturing process. What's going on with the other phone? The iPhone?
Speaker 14: Yeah, the other one is the iPhone Chicken, Promax great phone, excellent phone. I operated from the eleven Promacs, so the six six and Promax the one terabyte. So he had the original updated, never had a problem. I was using it perfectly until the new patch, the new eighteen point one came out.
Speaker 1: Yuppies, tony tony sounds. It sounds like you gotta stop updating your phones. That's it. That's what I'm hearing right now. So uh, typically, you know, I recommend updating the phones, but maybe just wait a little bit longer. Sometimes the initial update could have some bugs, so in your case, I would wait just a little bit longer. But these are both excellent phones. You should have no problems with them. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, playing some songs that are crowd pleasures at the karaoke bar. Yeah. Uh, you know, you know when you think you can sing a karaoke song and all of a sudden the words starts showing up. You're like, oh, I only know the coorus of this song. That happens so many times and you're just kind of like, there's just no way to get through that. So eight a rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. The website for the show is rich on tech dot TV. You can email me there. You can click the light bulb icon if you want show notes, or you can sign up for my newsletter. Got a great newsletter today. We had a question about taking notes at a meeting and then having AI summarize them and what's the best way to do that, And so I got a whole deep dive on that because I'm an expert. Took a school tour yesterday for my kid, you know, going to high school, and you know, recorded the meeting like the tour, and then you just go into AI and you give me a summary, and it was like amazing that the It's just unbelievably good what you can do with these AI summaries now, so just record everything at this point, something going to high school. Yeah, you're old, I know. Can you believe that mine is twenty? How you think I feel? I'm telling you? And it goes fast? I still remember having on Now all of a sudden, he's going to high school. What the heck? How does that happen so fast? Ready for the girls, Let's go to Bob. Let's go to Bob and ocean side Bob. You're on with Rich Good?
Speaker 3: How you doing time?
Speaker 13: Time? Caller a longtime listener.
Speaker 1: Well, that's great to hear. What can I help you with?
Speaker 13: I got a laptop purchased twenty twenty two, about two years old, had no problem with it and LG. Graham fourteen inch.
Speaker 1: That's nice, nice light two weeks ago.
Speaker 13: Can I name anti virus companies? I might love to say that.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean there's no antivirus police on the as far as I know.
Speaker 13: Just to give you, just to give you the whole thing, I had to perski, I got the notice, can't have it no more. They changed the ultra ad downloaded debt two weeks prior to what this would happen to this and the automatic update on my laptop it did? I believe it's twenty four each two is the number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the big one.
Speaker 3: That was a big after that happened.
Speaker 13: Now get the computer would only turn on and off, on and off, on and off, on and off. So, I mean I tried everything I could think and I couldn't get into it. My brother knows a little bit of stuff he got into. He had me go into the bios, took out BitLocker, bitlocked or.
Speaker 1: Something to that effect. Yep, that well Okay, so when.
Speaker 13: It does it on and off, on and off, I could hit that eleven and get into my computer. I'd never set a restore date and time, So anybody out there, do that now before something happens, because then you can always go back to that. Well, when when I did that didn't work out bec I couldn't even get in there, get encrypted by hard drive.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, one more couple more things.
Speaker 13: So I went on the Microsoft, got my digital recovery key, put that forty eight digit put that in probably six times. Never worked its start all over. I get the blue screen saying hold on a minute, where we set your your thing and going on on off again. You ever heard of that or your into this?
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds like there's something that went bad during this update. So was this an automatic update? It did it overnight?
Speaker 13: Yeah, so that's I've turned it off one morning and a set update available updates shut off, So the next morning I came out and was doing this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So there are a couple of things, a couple a couple of lessons learned here. So first off, I've done this before where I've sort of started an update, and number one, I don't do automatic updates because I don't want this thing doing an update when I'm not watching it, because there's sometimes a screen sometimes something that you just you just want to watch these things, So babysit your updates. Don't let your all your devices, whether it's an Apple device, just don't do the updates automatically. I think that it's nice to have that ability and it keeps you secure. But just check for updates manually and just you know, or have it alert you when there's an update. But watch these things when they're updating. That's number one, because sometimes there just may be a screen. There might have been a screen on this computer that would have alerted you to something going wrong and you could have stopped it or whatever. But it's just better to babysit these things. Number two, This is a big update, and yes Windows is encrypting the hard drives by default now. And what that means is that if someone got physical access to your computer, they would not be able to see what's on your hard drive. So it used to be if you just grabbed a hard drive out of a computer, you know you'd be able to see all the files and things on there. Now that these phones and hard drives. Everything's encrypted nowadays. It's good because it's more secure, but there's also some implications that the main one being if you lose your key to these devices. People always say, hey, rich, I lost my you know, my code to unlock my iPhone? You how do you get into it? You can't. If you lose that, that's it. That's what's encrypting your phone. Like, you're not getting into your phone. Another way, if you forget that, there are some tools out there that may be able to crack that code, but it's very, very tricky, very expensive, and usually reserve for law enforcement. So, Bob, I think you were smart to find your recovery key. So BitLocker. If you link these things, these computers to a Microsoft account, which ninety nine percent of the time they make you do that. Anyway, at this point you can find your recovery key. Because most people don't write these down. They forget and you can go to the website. Let's see if I can find it here. Let's see Microsoft recovery key. Of course I can't find it at this point, but let's see here. It is okay aka dot MS that's like Microsoft shortener for their websites aka dot ms slash my recovery key. So if you're getting that screen where it's saying, hey, you got to put in your BitLocker recovery key, that's where you find it. And so I went into my screen and I'm looking, and I find these keys from all the way back in twenty fifteen on twenty thirteen. Wow, I've got twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, and twenty twenty four So these are all my surface devices and stop computers I've had over the years. So there's my recovery key. That's how you can find it. That's what you pop in to hopefully unlock. In this case, Bob, it sounds like something got corrupted on your machine, so the best I could say, and it sounded like you already started up in safe mode. So I would try to start this up in safe mode and see if that brings up the system, the operating system, and then maybe you can go in there and kind of get rid of some apps and things that might be messing with this startup. But that's probably the best case scenario. Otherwise I would probably just format this computer hopefully. And that brings me to lesson number three. Backup, back up, backup, and you mentioned it to yourself, the restore point. So that's a very important thing to do, is have a restore point on Windows and also a backup of Windows. You can just plug in a hard drive to a Windows computer and open up Windows Backup, which is built into the machine, and have your information backed up to that hard drive, your critical files and things like that. I would put a lot of stuff in one drive. Maybe if you're not paying for that. You know, there's obviously a limit to how much you can put in there. But for me, I was just talking about this with my kid. You know, you wanted to set up a new computer, and he said, and I said, well, do you want to restore your files or things like that? He said no, no, no, I want a fresh start. And I said that's what I always do. I just have everything in the cloud and then nothing on my physical computer, so that when I get a new computer, I don't want all the fragments and bits and pieces and applications that I downloaded and deleted coming over to the new computer. So I want to start fresh. So I just set it up, started up fresh, and then download whatever I need from the internet and that's going to be the way I set these things up. I get it. It takes a little bit longer, it's a little bit more hands on, but I think that's going to be better in the end because you're gonna have less issues with your computer. So, Bob, I think you mentioned you tried the safe mode thing, but if you didn't, I would try to buy a boot up in the safe mode and if that doesn't work, I would probably just format the whole computer. Just just get get a boot drive and do it that way. Good call. Thanks for the man. A lot of issues today with hardware. Just nobody's nothing's working out there. Let me check the moon again. Is that what's happening here?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 1: I told you I was going to tell you about these new Mac computers. So they got three new Mac computers. I'm gonna tell you about them very quickly. What you need to know the first is the iMac. These all have the M four chips, and Apple bumped the RAM now to sixteen standard, so it used to be eight gigs, now it's sixteen. That means everything's going to be speeder on these computers. That was a great move by Apple. Had to be done because of AI. So the Imac's got this twenty four inch screen. It's got this new nano texture option which reduces glare. I saw it in person, went to the Apple event here in LA and I saw these things hands on, and it does make a huge difference. It's a two hundred dollars upgrade. But if you work underneath a light, like every day in my office, I'm always adjusting my screen for to get rid of the glare. So if you don't want that, go for that two hundred dollar option. They also have a better camera webcam. It's got twelve megapixels. It also moves around to follow you in the view, and it's got desk view, which means it can sort of you can place a picture on your or whatever you want to show looking face down and it can do that. Let's see the colors. You've got green, yellow, orange, pink, purple, blue, and silver. Plus the keyboard in the mouse match the color on the screen. So that's nice. And they all come in USBC. Now, finally that's going to be thirteen hundred dollars for the Imax. Then you've got the MacBook Pros. Those have the M four chips as well. They come in black and silver. Again the sixteen gigabytes of memory. This also has that Nanotexture display. Plus it's got Thunderbolt five on some of these models, which is really good for connectivity, and those were impressive. I went with the MacBook Air this time around. MacBook pros are much much more powerful. And then finally you got the new Mac Mini. This starts at five hundred ninety nine dollars. Again, sixteen gigabytes of memory. It is really small in compact, half the previous size. This thing is incredibly small. You add all your own stuff of course, your screen, your mouse, and your keyboard, and this now has front facing ports on the front for the first time USBC, plus an audio jack high impedance they said. Plus you got on the back thunderbowlt Ethernet HDMI. This thing can support all kinds of monitors, and it's Apple's first carbon neutral Mac that starts at five to ninety nine. Don't forget about education discounts. All these products are available November eighth. Coming up, I'll tell you why open ai is taking on Google head on. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology. This week, Open Ai launch their full frontal assault at Chat Google. They have launched chat GPT search. This is you know, I think Google would probably say they're not worried, but this is worrisome because chat gbt has made such a name for itself with its Ai search product. Now the fact that they have a full on web search product, that's a big deal. So I've been testing this out. I was on the waitlist. I figured out why I got access to this, so I don't pay for chat gbt right now. It's only available to the plus subscribers, but I did request access on the waitlist, so I guess anyone who did that got access early, including myself. So now when you search chat ebt with this added sort of you know, search functionality, not only do you see a little globe in your search box which you can check and that will say, hey, let's push this search to the web, or when you're doing a search, it will just say, okay, we'd rather get this information fresh off the webs and so we'll go to the web. But no matter what, it's pretty good. And this is day one, so it's going to get better. But it's really just a matter of chat GBT used to have all this information that was just percolating that's been built in. Now it's actually scanning the web and getting information in real time to ping. So if you want to ask, you know, who had the best plays at yesterday's football game or today's game, it would have those answers because it's scanning the news sources for those. So it's pretty incredible. It's not perfect, and you know, this is just a start, So chat GBT will show you where it's getting the information, which is good. It's got, let's see, partnerships with major publishers, so they're getting some of the you know, a lot of people are saying, ah, we don't want you chat GBT, We don't want you coming over at our you know, scanning all of our stuff and using it in your results. So now they're cutting deals because chatchibt's got a lot of money, so they're cutting deals with these companies like news Corp, News Corp, Axel, Springer, Time Magazine, Lamond, many many others. And so this is pretty good and I definitely think you should check it out. It's kind of like the future of search, and it's something I've been talking about for a long time that when this happens and Google sort of sees this. Now, if you go to Google's Gemini, that's kind of very similar to this. I think Gemini is really good. It's got the power of Google. But now you know, people are so used to chat GBT and they love it so much that they're probably just going to use this. There's also if you want to get around the sort of paid aspect of this, you can download a Chrome extension. It is the Chat GBT Search Chrome Extension, and that will actually take over your search bar on Chrome and turn it into chat GBT search. Now. I tried this, and I will tell you I don't think chat GBT search is great for all of your searches right now. Sometimes let's say you just want a phone number for a restaurant or something, and you go on Google and you search for it that you know you're gonna get this whole chat gybt. I call it a book report. It's going to tell you all about like this restaurant and things like that. So it's not the best for every search, but it is really really good, and it is the start of something very different in how we search the web. So check it out chat GBT search. If you're a paid member, you have access to it. Right now, let's go to David in Los Angeles. David, what's up?
Speaker 15: Yes, Hi out calling. I wanted to find out what's the best way to remove your personal information from data brokers site and the Google of my computer in California. Do you suggest any methods that we can use that are secure to to remove our personal data from the Google web pages?
Speaker 1: So I'm in the Internet, so yeah, so a couple things. So number one, this is a game of whack the mole. So you can try to do this, but it's just it's it's a never ending process and it's something that I'm not even sure it's worth it, to be honest, for a regular person, that's just kind of you know, day to day whatever. If you just have your address out there, your phone number, it's always going to be out there. And so that's the number one thing is that you're probably going to pay a lot of money to have one of these service is delete your information, and yeah, you know you're gonna get results. So, for instance, I've been testing Mozilla monitor right. They gave me a test account and they've manually fixed eleven instances of my data. They've removed three hundred and forty three instances of my data and there's three hundred and sixty three still in progress. So what does that tell me? Every single time they remove my data from a website, it just pops up on another website. So you can do this and you can sign up for one. There's a lot of them. Delete me in Cogni, Mozilla monitor. If you look at consumer reports. They said that most of these sites don't really work, but the two that they liked the best was called easy opt out and Optory, and so you can try those two if you want to start, but you're gonna pay for this stuff. The thing that I really like is called Google Results About You. And this brings me to a second aspect of this is that the information on the data brokers is one thing that's you know, you can remove that and it's just basically your name and your address. But the information that you can't really remove is the dark web information. This is from all of the data breaches we've seen over the past couple of years, and that is impossible to remove. And that's the really bad stuff like your social Security number, like your data birth like all these other things, your passwords, your user names, that is all out there. And if you want to see what that stuff is lurking on the web, just go to the website pentester dot com, pentester dot com, type in your email address and I'm telling you you'll see all the stuff that's out there. It's a ton of it. It's all kinds of information. So again I would start with Google results about you. That is free, that will take these results off of Google as they pop up there. But if you want to try one of those data broker services, just understand that it can only remove the stuff that is on the public data broker websites, not the stuff on the dark web. Coming up, we're going to talk about Apple's new hearing aid feature on the air Pods Pro. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology this week. You have a new feature available to you if you have a pair of AirPods Pro too. These are Apples, you know the air pods you see everywhere. These are the high end ones with the noise cancelation feature. They have a new hearing aid functionality and also hearing protection built into them. So if you update your phone and you get the update for these AirPods, you now have hearing aid functionality built into them and you can take a hearing test right from your phone. So to talk all about this, I spoke with Dedra Callbeck of Apple to explain the new hearing aid features on the air Pods pro.
Speaker 16: Hearing is so important to how we connect with each other and the world around us, and you know, there are so many people, over a billion people in the world who are living with mild to moderate hearing loss, and so we thought there was something we could do to really help improve their overall well being and quality of life. So yeah, so we wanted to build something just really intuitive, so intuitive that maybe it almost feels like an extension of your own senses. And we thought we could potentially change people's lives and democratize access to something that really affects millions of people. So we, yeah, we're introducing an end to end hearing health experience with AirPods Pro Too.
Speaker 1: How do I get started? How do I get this feature?
Speaker 16: So all you need to do if you already have AirPods Pro Too, It's available in the Health app with the latest software update, and what you'll see when you do that, you'll have access to not only hearing protection which will reduce loud sounds in the environment around you, but you'll see that you're now going to be able to take a hearing test. And so to just tell you a little bit about how that works with your airs pro, you take that test in any quiet environment you feel comfortable with really intuitive five minute test you can do either on your iPhone or your iPad in the health app. You'll just tap the screen when you hear a series of tones at different volumes and frequencies, and it includes animations and tap effects and progress indicators to sort of guide you through the process. And then when you're done with the hearing test, you'll get the results in this really easy to understand personalized hearing profile, which is also known as an audiogram. If you receive an audiogram that shows perceived mild to moderate hearing loss, then you can use the hearing aid feature and so it will seamlessly transform those same air pods into clinical grade hearing aids.
Speaker 1: How good is the experience with these AirPods compared to what you would get at from an audiologist.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so we of course, as with any of our our features, we have validated this against kind of the gold standard of a pure tone audiometry test. So the hearing test is very similar to a test that you would take if you go into a clinical setting or talk to an audiologist. The hearing aid feature is designed for those with mild to moderate hearing loss, which is actually the vast majority of people who are experiencing hearing loss. It's really those billion people around the world, and the hearing aid is validated for anyone who's experiencing mild to moderate hearing loss.
Speaker 1: How do you expect people to use these as a hearing aid? Is it something you'd wear all day? Is it something you'd wear to a restaurant? How do you expect people to useless?
Speaker 16: Exactly as you said, we do expect people to find a lot of benefit from wearing their air pods throughout the day in any listening environment. It could be at that noisy restaurant where you're having trouble hearing the people at the table with you, and so you'll actually not only assist you with hearing, but it has other features like conversation Boost, which will actually boost the conversation that's happening around you, so you can hear that better. You can use this even if you're just listening to music or podcasts or the radio on any of your devices, but you can also use them at a concert maybe, so you can actually still get that great sound quality, but your hearing is protected and assisted if you have hearing loss. So really any any listening environment these will be great for.
Speaker 1: Is this a functionality of these specific hearing aids these specific air pods? Is this feature plan for other ones? And if it works for the existing ones I have, do I have to do anything to update them?
Speaker 16: So this works with AirPods Pro two, which is the version of AirPods Pro that has been out for.
Speaker 5: About two years now.
Speaker 16: So if you already have AirPods Pro two, you simply update the software that is available on your iPhone or iPad today and.
Speaker 5: You will be able to use all three of these features.
Speaker 16: If you go into the health app on your iPhone or iPad, you'll be able to take the hearing test and then based on those results, you can use the hearing aid feature with the existing AirPods Pro to that you have.
Speaker 1: Do I have to wear both of them at the same time to get the benefits.
Speaker 5: You can wear both or you can just wear one.
Speaker 1: And why is Apple doing this? Why do this?
Speaker 16: You know, we just we always want to think about ways that we can help people improve their lives, impact their life in a really positive way with the devices that they're using every day. So with AirPods and iPhone, you're probably making phone calls, you're probably listening to music or podcasts, and we really just thought, gosh, if we could, if we could help not only protect your hearing, maybe in the younger demographics, if you're not yet experiencing hearing loss, but you're you know, at a loud concert or you're on a noisy subway on your daily commute, you can use hearing protection to reduce those loud sounds and protect your hearing over time. We want to just be able to sort of meet people where they're at and just allow them to be impacted in a positive way just by simply using the devices they have with them every day. I think that a lot of this is, you know, really just about awareness. You can, of course, choose how you want to address any results you might get, and I do think that the ability to use air pods your everyday headphones to assist with a hearing issue that you may have. Is going to sort of help reduce the stigma of hearing assistance just being able to use air pods. You know, you could be listening to music, you could be having your hearing assisted. But I do think it's good to just have that awareness. And of course it's up to you how you want to address it.
Speaker 1: Okay, and where do I find that hearing a test feature? Again? Is it in the Health app?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 16: So it's in the Health app on your iPhone or iPad with the latest software update. And to learn more, you can go to Apple dot com forward slash Airpodspro.
Speaker 1: There you have it. DJ calledback from Apple explaining the new hearing aid feature on the AirPods Pro too. Now keep in mind you do have to have the AirPods Pro two to get this, and so you're gonna have to check the model number. If you don't know which one you have. There is a way to if you look on Apple Support, it'll tell you there's a link that says identify your air pods. So just search for that on Google. Just type in Apple Support identify your AirPods. If you have the AirPods Pro too. There is a software update available. You have to be updated to the latest operating system and of course the latest software on the AirPods, which is automatic. But once you do that, you can open up the health app and you can scroll all the way down on the home screen and it says test you're hearing with AirPods Pro. Take a hearing test and it takes I did it yesterday. It takes about five minutes, and I'll be quite honest, I was a little concerned about taking this test because you know, I've been working in TV and now radio for a long time and I've always had something on my ears or in my ears right. So in TV we have these things called IFBs, which stick in your ear and allows people from the the control room to talk to you without other people hearing you. And so that is what I've had in my ear forever. And I was really worried because I was like, oh gosh, I'm going to get this test and I'm going to feel like I've got some hearing loss, and so I was very hesitant to take it. But after talking to Deidre, I did take it, and I'm happy to say it said I'm fine, gave me my little decibels in each ear. That's a little bit lost, but it's nothing, nothing to worry about right now, So take the test. And again this is this is just standard AirPods pro too, so if you've got those, you might as well try this out. And honestly, if you feel like you've got hearing loss and you don't want to deal with the hearing aid situation, you just want something that helps you conversations better or hear better, this is a great thing to do in general, And don't be scared. I was scared. I got the test results and you know, it's fine, and I think it's good to know this stuff versus here not knowing it. And again this is for mild to moderate hearing loss. This is not for complete hearing loss. But again this will tweak your AirPods not only for people but also the stuff you listen to on your phone as well, So very easy. You could do it right from your phone, and I just think this is incredible. The other thing is if you don't have hearing loss, there are a lot of hearing assistance features. She mentioned one called hearing protection. So did you know that you could actually like wear AirPods out and about and if you're on a construction site or at a concert, they actually do protect your hearing. And this was something that was new to me because I had a meeting with Apple a couple of years ago and they mentioned this. I said, wait, what do you mean these they're like earplugs. They're like, yes, So, because they actually seal your ear up, it does physically protect your ear from these loud sounds. And so there's now this new setting where that if your AirPods hear something really loud outside, like a bang or you know, some sort of alarm or siren going past, it will actually get rid of some of that intensity on your ear. So definitely check out these features. Really cool that Apple's doing stuff like this. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I'll tell you about the feature Disney Plus stole from Netflix and why it might change how you watch stuff. That's coming up right here. I'm rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. We're just talking about the AirPods, and Kim and I were talking about how to identify the AirPods. If you pull your AirPod out of the case and you look on the bottom, like on the side of the little AirPod, it's printed in teen tiny letters. I've never even seen this before, never noticed it. But there's no way the human eye can read this unless you are Superman. But if you take a photo with your phone and zoom in, especially if you have a macro lens on your phone, that'll help you identify. So I was looking, mind says Apple. Let's see what it says, three four oh seven, and then it's got the serial number as well. So then you go to that website I mentioned, the Identify your AirPods and you just search for your model number. There's only a handful. There's maybe like fifteen twenty model numbers, and then that will tell you which AirPods you have. So there are different versions of the AirPods Pro two. There are one, two, three, four, five six versions of those. So chances are you know you could have these AirPods Pro two with that hearing aid feature on it. Let's go to Robert in Redondo Beach, Robert your own with Rich.
Speaker 10: All Rich, I have a problem with my email at aol okay. I can't get into it. I changed the password probably two weeks ago, and they do a verification code and I found out I've changed my iPhone at the beginning of the year, so that number is not in there. And I tried to do a work around using Google, uh Google as my backup, but it takes me right back the that phone number for the second verification code that's got activated somehow. Now I'm completely blocked out on my AOL email account.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is this is that's a problem. So you've got uh, let's see, so you're it's basically you can't get this secondary text to that phone number because it's no longer active.
Speaker 10: Well it's active, but not to me.
Speaker 1: Not to you. Someone else is getting that code, okay, And there's no way. So when you went to this AOL recovery website, there's no other way. It's not letting you do that.
Speaker 10: It says, what you know to go to there, do the password, Just go all the way to the bottom to go to the AOL count security.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And when I put my password in, it won't accept my passwords, so I can't get to the bottom to get this. So it's like, okay, because somehow my password got corrupted or and on top of that, I tried to use one other just ask, and I found out that was a scam my bank. When I used the credit card to pay for it was supposed to be a dollar, it charged me fifty five because my bank blocked it and it came up on my phone. So I called the bank and they said.
Speaker 3: It's a scam.
Speaker 10: So they suggested that I cancel the cards, which I did. So I'm out the cards for this moment, right so I'm waiting on it.
Speaker 1: O man.
Speaker 10: And I tried using their all help phone rings. Those are the menu. It either rings nobody answers, well, just tells you call back later, or you know people who are busy.
Speaker 13: I've been trying that four days.
Speaker 1: Oh man, are you paying for AOL? No, okay, you're not paying for AOL. Do you need this account?
Speaker 10: Well, I've had it for years, that's the problem. So my other thought was one guy told me just move it to a Google account. And I don't know if I can move all the AOL stuff with it being locked up like it is, so a Google email address or not. I thought about was doing my own domain. Can I just and then would the domain pick up AOL Holy.
Speaker 1: No you know no, so if you're not, If you're so, this is an AOL email address, so it's something like you know, robber at AOL dot com or something like that, right, Yeah, So the only way that you can get access to this email is by getting access to the account. There's no way to forward this without getting there. So here's the thing. So you've got let's see here, you've tried this recovery website, which is log in dot AOL dot com slash forget. You've definitely gone there and tried that. No, okay, so that's where I would start. So go to log in dot a L dot com slash forgot, and that will that will take you to a screen that that like basically says, Okay, I don't really remember any of this stuff. And so what it's gonna do is it's going to ask you for an email address or a phone number that you might have used on this account, and it's it's going to understand that you're that you're a little bit challenged here with your access, and so it's going to try different ways to authorize you. So that's what I would do first. It's log in dot aol dot com slash forgot, and once you do that, you know, if you can't get in there, you may have to Yeah, you may have to uh to take other effects here. There's let's see here. So the the solution for the screen in looping or reloads, they say to try using a different browser or clear all the cookies on your browser. So I might try that as well before you you know you can't do that. So if you can't do that, I would clear all the browsers and cookies and sign in everything that's associated with AOL. Get rid of that on your browser, because it may be trying to use an old password or something that's saved on your system to log you in, and that's what's messing it up. So maybe if I were you, I would even try doing this from a different browser on your computer. So maybe if you primarily use Chrome, try using Safari or Edge or something else that you don't typically use to log in there. So that might work. There's also paid if you really I would say, you know, maybe if you don't need anything on this account, just be done with it and set up a Gmail and be done. So that's that would be my advice or an Outlook or something else. But there is a paid premium support offering from AOL, which of course they know people have issues like this all the time. They're going to take the opportunity to make some money on it. So there is an eight hundred number that is on the help page and I'll link it up on the eight hundred numbers eight hundred and three five, eight four, eight six zero. That's their paid premium support. So they are going to ask you for, you know, to pay for that support. But if you want to get into this and it's a one time fee, twenty bucks, whatever it is, it may be worth it to recover this account. Once you recover that account, maybe you want to move it over to a Gmail or something like that. You can set up forwarding or just have Gmail check this account in the Gmail settings and then that way you can be done with this AOL. It's not a bad thing. AOL is not you know, it's not a bad thing. It's just not really. It's owned by Yahoo now, so it's you know, it's just not as up to date as some of the other systems out there. But I get it. If you're using it and you like it and it works, people know that email address. I understand, but at the same time, you know you got to remember these passwords, and you got to when it comes to these recovery accounts. Instead of using a phone number, try to start using a two factor authentication app if they offer that, but I would use that instead because the app will work anytime, and it will work from any phone. Whereas your phone number is tied to your phone number, and if you ever lose access to that phone number or you change numbers, what happens. You lose access to all those account recovery codes. And usually there's another way to get access, but as you can tell Robert, it's not always easy or straightforward sometimes. So again, try those solutions. Hopefully you get access to this a wall account so you can be back eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I'll tell you the app that Nintendo launched that lets you listen to music. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology for another hour right here on the airwaves, in your ear on the podcast, or else streaming in the app just about anywhere. Thanks so much for tuning in. Appreciate you listening. The website for the show is rich on tech dot tv. When you're there, be sure to sign up for my free newsletter. Just sent out a new issue today. The talks about the iPhone intelligence, the Apple Intelligence, talks about the new Max talks about disrupt going there talking to all the startups. Let's see what else. Oh, I answer kent from Wilmington's question. He asked about the best software for creating AI meeting note summaries with an iPhone. Took a little deep dive on that. My gadget of the Week this week. This was great. I was at the Apple event and I've always wanted one of these. Didn't even know it existed. But it's a I don't know how you explain it. It's a it's an around the neck iPhone holder. So you put this thing around your neck like a necklace and it holds your iPhone for hands free video. So basically for me, like I'm getting all these gadgets, I want to take video of them really quickly in my hands, but it's tough to record that at the same time. So this other journalist that was using it, he was like, oh, yeah, it's great. He just you know, looks silly, but it works really great. So I ordered it on Amazon instantly thirty bucks. I've not done my first video with it, but I can't wait. I've got the Barbie Phone. I know Bobo's been waiting for me to get that. I've got the new It's like a flip phone, and so I think that'll be the first thing I use to try to show what that looks like with this thing. Speaking of Barbie, is Barbie Disney I don't think so. But Disney Plus has a new Netflix style top ten list feature basically Netflix. I never understood why Netflix didn't do the top ten list. Then they introduced it, and now of course it's one of the most popular features for finding all the nonsense that you can watch on Netflix. Am I bitter? I am because I watched a movie again on Netflix last night. Here's my problem with Netflix and all these movies they have. You never know if they're any good until you watch them, because just because it's on the top ten list does not mean anything. It just means the other people on Netflix are being tricked into watching these lame movies. And so yesterday, of course we sit down, you know, weekend night, and we're like, oh, let's watch a movie on Netflix. I'm like, I don't know, this is this one gonna be any good? And so we watch it and it's horrible. What was a movie? Should I put it on blast?
Speaker 9: Do it?
Speaker 1: I dare you. That's the one thing about the Top ten list. You don't know why it's in the time exactly it was actually that meaning people watching it, or if they put it in there for you to watch right exactly, you don't know. They don't give you all the reasons, like how the algorithm. There's always whenever they mentioned how an algorithm's done, it's like top viewing plus other aspects, like the other is like the no, Netflix just puts stuff in there so that people watch it. But it was called I feel bad blasting this, but it's called Woman of the Hour. It was like basically kind of a serial killer movie and it was like a thriller. The name doesn't even really felt like they ran out of out of money to make this movie, because all of a sudden it just abruptly ends and you're just like, wait what And then they just use like text on the screen to tell you the rest of the story. Okay, literally they just ran out of time or money or enter. Yeah, Kim is asking the Anna Kendrick movie. Yes, that was it. Kim says, go to rotten Tomatoes. I can't figure out rotten tomatoes? Am I like? Is this splat tomato? Mean it's good? Why are people throwing tomatoes at a thing? If it's good? What I don't understand rotten tomatoes. I don't have the time to go research a movie then watch the movie exactly whether watch the movie. By that time, I'm falling asleep and it's a Kim from now on, Kim, what's this movie about? I mean, I have a friend that does movie reviews, you know, Brian Bishop, he bald Brian, who will you know? I used to text him and be like, Brian, give me something to watch. But now I feel like that's a drag on him. It's like he's got to tell me personally. He does a whole podcast, so he's like, just listen to the podcast. I mean, it's a whole thing. I'm telling you, there's way too much out there, and what you like in that top ten is not necessarily what I like. And then of course you have the recommendations, but my kids mess up all my recommendations. So my kid using my YouTube account and he all he watches are like these random videos that do not apply to me anyway. Up, it's not even mister, it's actually he's trying to learn how to do unreal engine coding, and so it's like all these long, like three hour tutorials on like how to make graphics. Anyway, I tell you all this because now Disney Plus has the top ten list. So if you log into Disney Plus, you go to your home screen, it will show you what the top ten things are on Hulu Plu or Disney and Hulu. But here, here's what I was talking about. Rankings are determined by total views of episodes and movies, growing popularity of new titles, other unspecified factors. Yeah, those other unspecified factors are, Yeah, we spent a lot of money making this movie, and we're putting it in the top ten list to shove it down your throat so that you actually watch it, because we need to get that return on our investment here. So anyway, I don't know if you like the top ten, let me know. Rich on tech dot TV contact me. But I'm not convinced. I'm not convinced it means anything excepting it's just nonsense. It was easier when they just had movies in the theater. They spent a lot of money advertising it. You'd get out of the movie and you'd be like, oh, that was a bummer, but at least had a good time with your friends and this and that. Steve and Tampa.
Speaker 17: What's up, hey, Rich, thanks for taking a call.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Absolutely, I got a two desktops. One has a twenty seven in it and one has a twenty eight PI in it video card okay, and I'm running a quest through Virtual Desktop, running some games through because of their Steam games are not on the system, and I'm wondering. I tried discord, I even googled it. I couldn't find anything to give me the answer on this. If improving the video card self inside the system, would that improve it graphics for the game or application I'm using in the.
Speaker 9: Headset in well?
Speaker 1: What headset in Quest three?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh, you're using in Quest three. Yeah, that's a great question. So you're running through.
Speaker 17: Virtual desktop and that has its own settings there also.
Speaker 1: That's the part that I think would kind of clog it up. And not make it so great. So wait, you're okay, so when you run these programs, you're connecting the Quest to the computer.
Speaker 17: No, I don't like wired. That's why I use a program called virtual Desktop.
Speaker 3: Does it wirelessly.
Speaker 17: It hits your computer and runs the computer through steams through this virtual desktop. It's sort of like quest Link okay and thensktop.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you're running the game off your computer, but you're actually able to see it inside the Quest headset.
Speaker 10: Correct, absolutely, Yeah, okaym hmm.
Speaker 1: That's a great question. So you want to upgrade the graphics card on the computer and expect it to upgrade inside the Quest?
Speaker 17: Yes, because there are settings in the program, says, you know, the fault settings for like certain video cards, and there's a lot of graphed line from low to high. And the twenty eighty TI and that's a few years old now it's like middle of the road. Yeah, And I'm wondering if actually, if I increased it maybe to forty seventy or forty eighty something in that ballpark, if it will help the graphics. And then on the applications, I'm a musing.
Speaker 1: Well, here's my thought. Yeah, I mean, so here's my thought Number one, if your source graphics are better, I would assume the end result graphics would be better, right, because your source is better. But because you've got this going through a couple of different bottlenecks with the you know, the virtual system and also bringing it to the Quest headset, it could be there could be a limit to just how good these graphics can get. And it's also of course limited by the graphics capabilities of the actual headset. So you know, so I think I think your initial thought is interesting and it could improve slightly, but I'm not sure how much better you're gonna get now if you're talking, you're looking for like a you know, the graphics are just not refreshing at the proper rate, or something's just not looking it's laggy. That may very well be helped by the by the better graphics card, because you're serving up a better source graphic before it goes through these other hops, right, right, But I think it's one of these things where you just have to try it and see, uh yeah, see if it works. You know, I think that does it? Look, what's what's the problem with the graphics? Do they just not look as good? In this Quest had sound.
Speaker 17: Well, I know, it's like you said, like when they if you're looking something in distance, something it's supposed to look like it's a kilometer away. I can walk a couple of feet up closer, and all of a sudden the graphics will pop in like it's drawing in differently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that could be.
Speaker 17: Yeah, and I see other people when they make a video of it or or whatever on YouTube it looks like it's crystal Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, then in that case, I think it might. I might, you know, I might be convinced that this would work. So because again you're getting that that source, it still has to come from somewhere, especially the way that you're running this. So if the source is good, I think it would be better in the headset. I think if you're looking overall, if you're trying to say like, oh, nothing looks good in there, or the actual physical limitations of the graphics on the Quest two, you know, the VR headset that you're using, or the Quest three, rather, I think that would probably be you know, you wouldn't see much of an upgrade there. If you're looking. Let's say you go into like the home screen of the Quest right, and you're just not happy with those graphics. If those look great and then you go into your game and little things aren't refreshing inside the game or drawing as quickly, I think that probably would be helped, So I would I would probably try it for sure, and see how how old is your graphics card?
Speaker 17: Well, the twenty eighties probably about four years old, and twenty seventy. The other one is probably about the same, probably about four years old. Now, yeah, I know they're getting dated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it would make a difference. I think, you know, maybe try you know, getting one and putting it in the computer, checking it out, see what happens, and if it you know, obviously get it from a source that you can return it if you're not, you know, happy with the results. But that's what I would do.
Speaker 17: One quick, one more quick one. I noticed that the one system I have an until nine system, and then I got the eight zoo I seven on the I nine system. All of a sudden, once in a while, that's fandal just start cranking up in that machine will run full blast forever until I actually reboot the machine. It will stop or it will hit and miss. Within a couple of minutes, red up real high.
Speaker 3: And you're down.
Speaker 17: Red up real high and you're down. And I couldn't figure out. I thought maybe some drivers or something that's interfering with it. It's trying to trigger something, and I can't figure out what that might be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it definitely sounds like a software issue because it shouldn't. It shouldn't need to be running the fan all the time. So I would I would try, yeah, double checking those settings on those for sure, and seeing maybe if you kind of spoot it up in safe mode, if it if it's still happening there. Great question, Steven Tampas, like you got a little project DIY ahead of you. I love that kind of stuff. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Coming up, We've got an update on the healthcare data breach. I'll tell you about that right here. I'm rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology the website for the show richon Tech dot TV. Coming up this hour, we're going to talk to social media cyber security influencer Caitlin Sarian. She's known as the cyber Security Girl. She's going to join us to talk all things cybersecurity. Let's see, I think we have time to get to a call. Here, let's go to uh, let's see. Oh well never mind, let's uh, let's go to this.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 1: Let's see here. I told you about Nintendo. They've got a new a new app that streams video game music. So this is called Nintendo Music and is available for iPhone and Android and think spot. But just with song from the last forty years of Nintendo games, Mario, Zelda, Kirby's Adventure, Pickman. So let's see. I can bring it up on my phone. Here I downloaded it. You have to have a subscription to the Nintendo Switch online. But they've got all kinds of songs. They've got all kinds of playlists. You can download them for offline listening. You can loop them if you want to like study to them. So let's see. Okay, so here's the Super Mario series. So this is remember Doctor Mario. Remember that you can just listen to that. So if you just want to listen for hours on end, that's a four minute song. Okay, who would have thought? How about when you go underground in Super Mario Brothers? Remember this, I mean, come on. This is so iconic. I love this stuff. I was actually on my bike yesterday with my kid and I literally just put this on while we were driving the bike. Here we go, and it felt like we were in a video game, like we were just going down the bike path and we're just in a video game. So this is just the Mario stuff. Obviously, there's so much more. I mean, this is, you know, from Mario, the Mario Kart Dround, Rainbow Road. So this is all the stuff that you just took for granted, that you just kind of had in the background while you're playing your video games. But now it is literally on a It's it's literally on an app. So I love this. Let's see oh Bowser. Oh you can also do this. You can also select a character and see all the music that that character has been associated with. So again, if here's Bowser, remember this. That's when you're underground and those fire ball like things are swooping trying to kill you. This is just great. I love this. So Bowser's got a lot of songs. This is this is from Super Mario Brothers, Wonder a little bit of a newer So anyway, so that's available. It is available on the iPhone and Android, and it is it's free if you have that online as Nintendo Switch thing, so you got to pay twenty bucks for twelve months, but kind of fun. If you love Nintendo stuff, you got to try it out. Mint Mobile is launching a kid focused wireless plan fifteen bucks a month gives you unlimited talk and text plus five gigabytes of data. This runs on T mobiles network. Obviously Mint Mobile was purchased by T Mobile, and parents can see the amount of data they use. They can get all the account communications and alerts. I don't think that means you can see all their texts and stuff. I think it just means like if there's an issue with their account, you can see it. No contracts, and of course they have free roaming in Canada, free calling to Mexico and Canada, free mobile hotspot Wi Fi calling available now online coming to Target next month again fifteen bucks a month for a kid focused wireless plan. So get them a smartphone. You just want to act. The problem is everyone's activating their smartphones now through one of these big plans. You know, they got these family plans and they're buying the phone from the carrier. So It gets really tricky to use a plan like this because even though you'll save a lot of money, most people don't want to deal with the phone situation. They want to just pay the phone off over thirty six months, and so it's just easier to go through their primary carrier. But option. It's good to have options. And this United Healthcare. Remember this thing that happened back in February. This was a breach one hundred million people, affected third of the US population. This was a medical breach, had all kinds of information. This was through their Change Healthcare subsidiary. It was a ransomware attack one hundred million people. Now we've got the confirmation of what happened here. The breach happened in February. Notifications were sent out in June. Stolen information included health insurance data, medical records, test results, prescription information, billing and claims data, financial and banking details, social security numbers, drivers licenses, passport numbers, basically all the information that people shared with this Change Healthcare. They actually paid twenty two million dollars in this ransomware attack, twenty two million dollars to try to tell these guys, hey, please don't put this information out there and they did anyway, what did they do wrong? There was no multi factor authentication. They didn't have that two factor authentication enabled on their accounts. You need to do that, Big companies need to do it. Apparently there's also some previously compromised credentials that were used in this attack, and overall their security was just not very good. So this is the problem. We are sharing more information with these big companies than ever before. We share this information and they now have to protect this information, and as we've seen with all of these data breaches, it often does not happen. They are just as susceptible to ransomware and hack attacks as we are. So please strong passwords, multi factor authentication. Please do those two things. Use a password manager, use unique passwords, and don't share more information than you have to. Question every time a website asks you for information, if you don't need to put it in there, don't do it. Coming up next, we're gonna talk more cybersecurity with the cybersecurity Girl. Right here. I'm rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight. Rich one O one Oh, I'm gonna get I'm gonna get trouble from Kim for giving out the phone number. I think our time for calls has elapsed. Website Rich on tech dot Tv. Joining me now is social media cybersecurity influencer Kaitlin Sarian, known as cyber Security Girl Online. Thanks so much for joining me, Kaitlin.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks for having me Rich. Really excited to be here.
Speaker 1: So you are very popular on what you made your name on what TikTok or what.
Speaker 18: Originally TikTok, and then I slowly moved off and just really focused on Instagram.
Speaker 1: So ah, oh really interesting. Okay, why why the change?
Speaker 18: You know, it's a lot longer of a story than I think the segment we have. But I actually loved TikTok. I still love TikTok, but I just felt like when they got TikTok Shop, it wasn't really pushing out the way that I wanted to. And I think Instagram really like ramped up, and I really wanted to reach as many people as possible, and my videos just weren't doing as well on TikTok anymore.
Speaker 5: So I decided to move over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard that they're pushing that TikTok shop and Instagram is a great place because you reach a wide swath of people. I feel like TikTok is a little more directed towards either young users or you know, it's just I feel like Instagram is everyone. It's like everyone on Instagram. So first off, I mean, what video did you make first that popped Like what was the first kind of thing that you did that you really think helped people and kind of got you some recognition.
Speaker 18: Yeah, the first video was like three months into my TikTok journey, and it was actually about how you can see if your data has been breached in any of the previous beat breaches and it's have I been poned? And so people had never heard of this. This was like three years ago.
Speaker 5: And you can literally like type in your email and.
Speaker 18: Also tell you every data breach that your email popped up in on the dark web and tells you, you know, what other information was out there. So it's a really cool resource and it's free and it was created by an amazing man, so it's like it's very reliable, it's not just like some creepy resource. And that was the first video that absolutely just I think it hit like seven hundred thousand views in like a day, and it was just it was great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people are concerned. We actually have. I've talked about the haven been pned on this show, and people are concerned about putting in their email address into the website. You're like, well, wait a second, are they going to hack me? And it is kind of a funny name unless you kind of understand what that's all about. But it is a very helpful resource and it's pretty wild what's out there. I mean, we were just talking about a data breach before the break, and I mean it's a question we get all the time, is like what do you do about all your information that's out there? I Mean, it's really tough to pull this stuff back once it's out, especially on the dark web. Is that your take as well?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean there's certain things.
Speaker 18: I mean, there's different reasons why people hack, right, So it really depends on what angle you're going at. But for me, like if I'm really concerned about when people are getting into my social media because I have a big target on my back considering I am a cybersqity influencer, and a lot of hackers want to do.
Speaker 5: It just to prove themselves.
Speaker 18: It's just a cool thing to be like, yeah, I hacked cybersecurity girl, So I'm mortified to that. So I make sure I do you know all of my kind of cybersecurity hygiene, which is good passwords, multi factor authentication, you know, well other stuff that will go through. But there's other things like you know, I don't want anyone to use my data against me, and like you know, start creating accounts because at this point, I think it's pretty safe to say that everyone's data is breached and most of our social media social security numbers are also breached. So the best advice I have for people that are actually worried about that is to lock your credit because a lot of people are worried that people are going to steal their identity, which is a totally normal thing and can happen to many of us because our information is out there on the dark web, and I know a lot of people like, oh that, why would that happen to me? It doesn't matter. You're a dollar signed to everyone. So even if you're you think that you're a nobody, you're not a nobody. You're still worth something to a hacker. So if you're really concerned with you know, identity staft. I would lock your credit scores.
Speaker 1: Down so crazy, so so credit reports, lock those down, freeze those, which which I did after the latest Uh. I think it was the if it was either the AT and T whatever one had, like the social it was like the really big oh the national public data that was it.
Speaker 18: It was like, oh my back on check service. I did it too. I locked down all of them.
Speaker 5: I'm like, this is I can't even deal with this anymore.
Speaker 18: I'm not I'm not applying at credit cards or home loan anytime soon.
Speaker 5: I can keep them locked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, that's the main thing. So what do you think? Okay, so social media, I get so many questions. People have their Facebook account hacked, They've got their Instagram hacked. I mean, what's the best way to protect those accounts?
Speaker 18: Yeah, I mean so I feel like I have to hit my head on the like the chalkboard every time because I'm just like, this is so old school.
Speaker 15: In the state.
Speaker 18: It's the same for everything, right, So strong passwords like I say this over and over again, and people really underestimate that. But what people don't realize is that if they reuse the password and it's leaked on the dark web, even if they change. Like I say, there's a base password, and like a lot of people use like a base password, Like say, for example, I've always used the word macaroni in my in my password, right, then I add macaroni one, macaroni one two, three, macaroni one to three exclamation point. The thing is, when hackers get your base password, they have an algorithm that can run about ten thousand different types of passwords, different variations of that one password in minutes, and they can easily get into your account. So it's not just you know, changing it, and it's making them unique, especially for the accounts that are important. Like it's really hard, Like I know, general users going to be like I can't remember these passwords, Like there's no way I can remember them all. So first of all, I would identify which ones, which accounts are the most important to you and definitely make unique ones for that. Then you don't like to say passwords. We like to say pass phrases because you want to make like a fun sentence, and a lot of people that I know actually make you know, some type of type of sentence in their head. So say, for example, they say I love, and then they put the name of the website they're using, and then have a funny word and then have their favorite number. I mean it's different for everyone, but you're changing a certain part of that password that's completely unique for the app that you're doing. The other thing that's easiest for me as a cybersecurity person is a password manager, which automatically generates these unique passwords and stores them and it signs them, so it's really easy to find. But I know a lot of people don't do that, so passwords are super important. And then the other thing is multi factor authentication, which means you're not just signing in with your username and password, you're also signing in a third us. Well, technically it's a second way. A second way with like a unique code that's either sent to your phone, sent to your email, or an authenticator app. And I will preface this, you want to make it to your authenticator app because there's a lot of sim swapping. And then also if you're reusing the same password for your email and the code get sent your email, they already are in your email. So I would prefer to do authenticator app. But even with just those two tips, it sounds so basic, and I know you, I know probably everyone's heard them. Even with those two tips, strong unique passwords and multi factor authentation, those prevent almost ninety per I would say even more than ninety percent of you know, Facebook social media hacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because a lot of it's phishing too, where they're sending you a text and you, like for Facebook, let's say they send you like a you get a notification that says, oh, you have copyright infringement on your page. You're like, wait what and it's like log in here and you do it so fast, and if you don't have that two factor on, you've just handed over your your password to the bad folks. And you know, if you have two factor, you're going to get a code texted and you're gonna be like, wait, what what? What? What I just do? Is there any password manager that you like or any two factor app that you like that you recommend?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 18: So, I mean I the only one I wouldn't recommend for password manager is the last because they've actually been breached a lot of times, I think at least two, which means that your passwords that are stored on there have also most likely been breached so I use one password and I actually use because I'm very paranoid, I use multiple, but I rarely recommend any of them except for last past Keeper. Security is also great. VPN services, there is a lot. I love Nord VPN. I know a lot of people use EXPRESSDPN, but I'm not sure the founder of that is a little sketchy to me. So I used to recommend ExpressVPN. Now I'm moved over to Nord and I actually have three VPN services too because I'm paranoid. I'm a cybersecurity expert, but one VPN is enough. So any VPN I would probably recommend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, any of them, They're all great.
Speaker 1: Any other issue, We've got about a minute here, What any other issue that you think people should know about. Any other tips that you want to offer or things that you see that you think you know should be addressed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so there's a few. One is we need to stop thinking that we have everyone should see everything about our lives.
Speaker 18: Like the number one ship I have is to just start making your profiles private.
Speaker 5: Lock it down. Like with AI.
Speaker 18: Right now, they can scan pictures that you post, even with nothing in them. They can pretty much tell you that your exact location that has posted, so even for family safety, your safety, like just if you don't need to be public, like if you have friends already that are like following you, you don't need to be public. Like why does the public need to know everything that you do unless you're trying to be an influencer. So I would fully recommend to make every all of your profiles private and then also just give out the least amount of data that you can't, like, try not to post everything, and like sign up for every account, try to check out as a guest the least, Like the less information people have on you, the less it's going to be on the data brokers, which is like everywhere in the US people keep saying, oh I keep the leading them from data brokers, but it keeps popping back up.
Speaker 5: I'm like, well, how.
Speaker 18: Many more accounts have you be created in the last month? You probably don't even realize, So just really try to limit we like to call it it's your digital footprint. Check out as a guest, try to be private, and then those there's four kind of tips for everyone, so strong passwords and multi factor on the authentication, which we've already talked about.
Speaker 5: Update your software. It's very very important.
Speaker 18: People think that updating, you know, a phone, means that it's going to go slower, and that couldn't be further from the truth.
Speaker 5: Software updates patch vulnerabilities, which means that they.
Speaker 18: Patch basically open spots that hackers can get into in that app or software. So update your software and just really avoid clicking on any links or be really really cautious if any link is getting sent to you or any weird message that gets sent to you, because we live in a crazy world right now where everyone's trying to get in, hack in, and get have whatever whatever reason it is they're trying to get in, So just be very suspicious, go with your gut.
Speaker 5: So those are the kind of high level tips.
Speaker 1: That I have, and the main reason they're trying to get in. It all comes back to money. We know that they're trying to steal our identity, trying to steal our money. And believe me, I'm sure you hear it as much as I do. This stuff actually happens on a daily basis. Yes, people fall for this stuff. Yes people are getting money taken from them and it's really tough to get it back. Caitlin Sarian cyber security Girl on Instagram. Thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 5: Thanks very much, Rich, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Really good tips. Follow her on Instagram cyber security Girl. Coming up, we're going to open up the feedbag and we'll hear what you had to say this week in tech. Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here talking technology with you. Let me go through a couple of lightning round stories before we get to the feedbag. First up, Google is launching a certified refurbished Pixel phone program, so you can buy a refurbished Pixel for up to forty percent off. This is the Pixel six and Pixel seven series. You can get these things for starting at to think two hundred and fifty dollars. They inspect them, the battery, the housing, the screens, they repair them with Google parts, They install the latest software, even get a new box and a compatible charger included. So if you want a cheap phone, refurbished Pixel, it's a great, great device, even refurbished. Samsung, meanwhile, is expanding its device repair network. This is one of the big downsides of Samsung versus Apple. Apple has all the Apple stores with Samsung repairs. Sometimes they could be a little trickier, but this is the website to know. Sell phone Repair dot com. Sell phone Repair dot com. These are the official locations from the Total Assurance Repair Network. Now they have nine hundred locations where they can do out of warranty repairs, screen repairs, battery replacements, and device accessories. Most repairs are done in under an hour and they use genuine Samsung parts. So again, sell phone Repair dot com. Bookmark that if you have a Samsung device if you ever need help with it. And I thought this was interesting. An ex Disney employee faces prison for hacking their menu system. So this employee allegedly used their credentials to access Once they got fired, they logged into Disney Systems and changed their menu system. They changed all the fonts to the wing ding symbols, you know, those funny symbols you can't do anything with. But this is a scarier part. They deleted all of the allergen information for menus. So that's kind of nefarious right there. I get the silliness of changing to the wing dings, but deleting the allergen information is not cool. So the menu system went offline for several weeks. Of course, they had to go to their backup, which I guess Disney had. Thankfully, this person now faces up to fifteen years in jail. And by the way, this is the main takeaway. If your a company revoke your employees access credentials immediately, do not let them linger on that network. They must be gone from that system immediately. And also have a backup system. Have a backup, because if someone messes with your system, you got to get to that backup. All right, let's get to the feedback. Let's open this up. Melissa wrote in from Covina. I love the Top ten. I found many of my favorite movies and series from there. It's a time saver on Hulu as well. I don't always agree with most of it, but it is what it is. I don't have Netflix right now, so their account sharing crackdown worked on me, sadly. Okay, you know you can pay for your own account, Melissa, thanks for the email. David from Saint Louis listen to the podcast, he says, Hey, Rich, I was listening to the show. I want to share my experience with to Doist. I recently discovered it and fell in love with how quickly I can capture tasks. I can forward emails to create tasks within specific projects. I can use browser ad ins to save weblinks for later. It integrates with Google Calendar, lets you assign tasks to projects at du dates, reminders, and priorities. It even has AI to create subtasks. For example, it can generate a packing list for a trip. I'm probably not doing it justice, but thought I would share. Thank you, David. I have tried to doist in the past. I actually do like it. It just maybe didn't have one feature that I liked, or I think you had to pay for something that I wanted. So good suggestion there, Dan writes in Love the show listen every week. This week or last week, you mentioned a listener who sawed off his phone charger connector. I agree that does not sound safe and I would never do that. Not safe for the phone, and I'd be afraid of an electrical short. I did want to mention that they should check his phone port and try to clean it. I once noticed trouble charging and realized the USBC didn't have that happy click when fully inserted. I used a plastic toothpick, one of those disposable flossers. You would not believe how much pocket lint came out of the phone port. Once I did that, the USBC went in smoothly. They sell cleaning kits on Amazon. Hopefully you can pass this long. Yes, I thought I mentioned that with the sowd off USBC, which you should never do. But yes, the cleaning the USBC ports do get clogged with lint, so went in doubt. When there's an issue with the connection, phone's not charging, check for lint in there. Just be gentle in that hole. Michael from Santa Fe listens on KTRC. He says, sorry, Rich, but facts is still essential in many industries. Healthcare relies heavily on FACTS because it's HIPPOC compliant. How's a facts hippoc compliant and provides proof of transmission unlike email. I use it for insurance documents, doctors use it for prescriptions and lab works. Some restaurants even take FACTS orders. It's more secure and more reliable than most people think. Thank you. Michael Gary writes in oh another facts machine, Hey, Rich. One place where fax machines still seem to be very prevalent is in doctor's offices and other medical facilities. I see them still being used in those locations. I'm sorry, but medical offices are so behind the times ninety nine percent of the time. In fact, I just signed up with that Amazon one Medical to see how that all is, because it's like all done through the app. So I love doctors. I think they're amazing. Thank you for doing your incredible work. But all I want to do is make my appointment online, see my results online, do everything online. I don't want to have to talk to anyone. I just want to go in and that's it. I guess that's too much to ask. Lily from Orange, just a great big thank you for translating tech lexicon to ordinary English. I'm a senior citizen, middle to low tech enabled person and I really appreciate how you distill the mumbo jumbo and tell us how too. I also like the scammer alerts your ardent follower, Lily from Orange, Thank you, Lily. Jeff writes in here, Rich, I was listening to your October show about visiting Microcenter. I love going there and Best Buy, but they're now basically used as Amazon's showrooms, which is unfortunate. I also used to love going a forty seventh Street Photo and Circuit City, the one I miss most is crazy, Eddie. I'm listening to an audio book called Retail Gangster about the rise and fall of the owner. Highly recommend it. Your show inspired me to go back to micro Center this week. And when I visit my parents in Florida, I like to visit a store named Brand Smart Great Deals. Ah, Jeff, I will listen to that book. John from San Diego, good afternoon. These are the bomb. I have small ear canals. None of the earbuds ever stay in, so I use them for biking. Next, I have Bo's headphones for airplane trips. One hundred dollars at Costsco. Thanks a bunch. They are these shocks open run se and yes they're bone conduction headphones. I've been using them and testing them for my runs and they are excellent if you don't want something in your ear. Finally, Gordon says your show is my go to commute Saturday show. Thank you, Gordon, thanks for listening. That's going to do it for this episode. You can find me on social media rich on Tech. Everything I mentioned is on the website. Go to rich on Tech dot TV. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. My name is rich Demiro. Talk to you soon.