Speaker 1: Sabrina. Yes, I have a cold.
Speaker 2: I know, I can hear it. I know, and I'm still sick.
Speaker 3: You have a cold too, right, Producer Jensen has a cold as well. We're all we're all sick. We're all sick, but you know we're not sick and tired of dcoms.
Speaker 1: See that transition. You see the transition I just did there.
Speaker 2: This one's a good one. This is a good one.
Speaker 3: Well, it's also speaking of the cold, yes, right, but having a.
Speaker 1: Cold being cold? We are, we are going to.
Speaker 3: Be cold all week long. I guess my brain's not working, so halfway through the things I'm saying, I'm going to make you understand that they don't actually make any sense, but it is what it is because you've got the cold brain fog.
Speaker 1: But let me start by saying, welcome back.
Speaker 3: To magical rewind this that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the waves tsunamis, and none of us had colds.
Speaker 2: I'm Wilferdell and Brian.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was a good transition from the cold to the cold, because today we're gonna lace up our skates and say goodbye to Harvard. It's time to take on an elite dcom one on definitely a higher tier of production. It's two thousand and five sports drama, and you know I love a sports drama. Ice Princess. Yes. Now, though we haven't yet recapped Ice Princess, it did come up on our Go Figure episode, which is another Disney movie about a girl who has to make a vital, life changing decision about ice skating. But that's pretty much where all the comparisons stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man, One of the biggest.
Speaker 3: Differences is that Ice Princess actually ran in theaters, which I did not know before doing.
Speaker 1: This, and as I was watching it, I was like, this could have been in the movie theater, Like, how is this not in the movie theater.
Speaker 3: Turns out, well, it was in the movie theater the entire time before making a big debut on the channel, which explains it's large twenty five million dollar budget, which I guess it's technically still a dcom, but wow, what a budget for a decom.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: That is giant, right in twenty twenty five money, that's forty seven billion dollars. The movie is based on a story from Why a book series author Meg Cabot, who of course gave us the Princess Diaries books.
Speaker 1: Yes, that Princess Diaries.
Speaker 3: Disney turned those books into two different movies starring Anne Hathaway and Julie.
Speaker 1: Andrews, with a third always rumored to be in production.
Speaker 3: I've heard like in the last couple of months there's a third one in production.
Speaker 1: You never know, but this was just based on.
Speaker 3: A pitch from Cabot. Apparently, this entire movie. It was released on my mom's birthday on March eighteenth, two thousand and five. What my mom's birthday every March eighteenth, But this was March eighteen, two thousand and five, and just about broke even at the box office. So not a success at all. But it is always fun to look at the movies it was up against the weekend it was released, So here we go. It came in fourth place, behind The Ring two, Robots, and The Pacifier.
Speaker 1: Have you seen any of those?
Speaker 4: I've seen the Ring two, and I didn't see Robots, but I remember Robots.
Speaker 3: Robots is animated, right, I think Robots is animated. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's I think it's like Pixar esque. If it's not Pixar, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, so I was thinking a different one.
Speaker 1: I have not seen any of those. The Ring one.
Speaker 3: When she climbed out of the thing all backwards and crab walked, I was like, yeah, I'm done.
Speaker 1: I don't need this anymore. This was it.
Speaker 4: I remember, I told you I had like a whole like scary movie phase where I was watching all the Saws like all that.
Speaker 2: So this was That's when I saw The Ring two.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: It was right in that time that I.
Speaker 4: Loved scary movies and probably couldn't even get half way through one.
Speaker 1: Now, oh yeah, that sounds awful.
Speaker 3: I can't. Oh man, anything that messes my eating or sleeping, I'm not for at all. Yeah, but Ice Princess has definitely lived on. I'd argue it's age better than the three films it lost to you that weekend. I personally believe that. And one of the reasons this movie has built a legacy is the unbelievably stacked cast, which we will get into.
Speaker 1: But as far as name recognition.
Speaker 3: We have never seen anything like this before in dcom we really haven't. There should be no surprise to anybody listening to our show that this one was filmed in wait for it people. I'm not even I'm not even gonna say it, because you've everybody now listening just yelled at their radio Toronto.
Speaker 5: Yes, of course, the Big Ti, the Big Ta. Yes, exactly, it was in the Big Ta. I like that they needed cold. They got cold in one of the dcom capitals. It was shot over almost three months, which also shows.
Speaker 3: You that it's different than a regular dcom because normally it's like you got three weeks to a month ago, with locations like the.
Speaker 1: George Bell Arena and De La Salle College. I don't know that one. Now.
Speaker 3: Critics were certainly mixed on this one, seen in the modern day Rotten Tomato score of fifty two percent, but world renowned film critic at the time Roger Ebert did give it three out of four stars. Love Roger Ebert, he believed it successfully overcame expected cliches and bucked the Disney formula. I don't disagree with that. Other critics, like Todd Gilchrist of IGN, weren't nearly as kind. Though he praised the adult performances, he had some questions about the plot and the improbabilities of her athletic progress. I don't necessarily disagree with that at all, but you know what they say about opinions, they're like dcom dads. They can kind of bele And it has an absolutely killer soundtrack, released the same week the movie came out. It weaved in and out of modern pop songs and the Hollywood Records roster. It got songs from Jesse McCartney, Raven Simone, Natasha Bettingfield, Michelle branch Ali, and aj And two names that caught my attention. First was Emma Roberts. Did we know she was a singer when she was younger?
Speaker 2: Did you know she was me Emma Roberts?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think it is the Emma Roberts.
Speaker 3: Yeah. She was a Nickelodeon star apparently as a young kid. Thank you, producer, Lisa. And second was Hayden Pennatieri, another actress who I had no idea was also a singer, but.
Speaker 2: She was in a giant show called Nashville where she's saying.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 1: You think I'm gonna know that, I'm gonna know that.
Speaker 4: You know, I kept trying to find I found myself trying to find I'm like I know. I know she's gonna have a song in this in this soundtrack, and I kept trying to find which one was her.
Speaker 2: I didn't know because I don't really know her voice that well.
Speaker 3: So Nashville is a musical show, yes, ah, gotcha. I didn't know if it was like Yellowstone just about farming like the.
Speaker 4: You know Taylor Swift, Carrie underwa oh okay like that that's her character in Gotcha.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So not only was she in this movie, but she sings the final credits. I apparently the song is called I Fly and everybody knew she was a singer, but me, I guess because I had no idea. There are also songs from Avril Lavigne, Pink, Britney Spears, Jewel, and Madonna appearing in this movie, but not on the soundtrack because that would have been very expensive, so they didn't do that. But speaking of expensive, we also have two what if castings, as two big stars were reportedly considered for some Ice Princess rolls but did not end up at the part. Number one was Rachel mc adams was a favorite for the lead who that would have been interesting casting, And number two was Nicole Kidman was the first choice for Tina.
Speaker 1: What do you think of that?
Speaker 3: What would what do you think of this movie if it was Rachel McAdams and Nicole Kidman.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're both amazing actors, but I feel like our present actors killed it. So I definitely don't think it just really lost anything.
Speaker 2: In any sense.
Speaker 3: And I don't disagree all they.
Speaker 2: Seemed perfectly cast for these roles.
Speaker 3: Yep, now you've seen this one before, right, I don't. I can never tell you. Yeah, I figured I figured you knew this one, so you you knew of Ice Princess and had seen Ice Princess before Magical rewind.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I did not see it in the theater. I saw it. I did see it on the channel.
Speaker 1: That makes sense.
Speaker 3: I uh no, I think I think maybe i'd heard of it because this was like, if memory serves, this was two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: So the nineties went big with skating for a while.
Speaker 3: With my remember like Cutting Edge, and then I think Christy Carlson, friend of the Pod and friend of mine, did Cutting Edge too.
Speaker 1: This time it's personal.
Speaker 3: Mighty ducks, mighty h double hockey sticks. I mean there was there was Skating was big at the time. And then they kind of broke away. So I think I remember Ice Princess. I think I remember at least hearing.
Speaker 4: That kind of it kind of had a little bit of a comeback for a second.
Speaker 3: I think so too.
Speaker 4: I think it comes with probably I would assume it kind of comes with the fact that, like the Olympics kind of to me, it's like the Olympics are like, oh.
Speaker 2: My god, I forgot, Yes, I love ice skating.
Speaker 4: Every time the Olympics comes around, it's such as entertaining sport it is.
Speaker 3: And in the nineties you had all the time you HEARDing Nancy Kerrigan stuff, so that really brought skating to the forefront again. There was a lot of kind of going ons about skating as it were. Okay, so we're over a year into this podcast. Can you believe it?
Speaker 1: We're over a year into this.
Speaker 3: Podcast already, and I think we could say without a doubt, Decoms loved sports. Did you remember how much comes and sports were connected before we really started this journey.
Speaker 4: Yes, because that was part of one of my favorite things. Like when I told you my first like you know, when we first met, my top ones were Johnny Tsunami, Brin like I loved the You know, when I think about my favorite Disney movies, Mighty Ducks, that whole franchise was something I watched on a just loop. I love them so yeah. I remember the Titans one of my all time favorite. I love movies with sports, the lessons, the coach, the you know, the mentorship that's not from your parents all the time.
Speaker 2: Like, all of those stories are just bangers for me.
Speaker 3: I I agree. Have you seen Hoosiers? Go see Hooters.
Speaker 1: If you haven't seen great movie, goe what sport is about?
Speaker 3: Basketball? High school basketball in Indiana in like the sixties or no, might even be earlier in the fifties. It's so good, Gene Hackman, It's phenomenal. I think it won some Academy Awards. Great movie anyway, everyone goes see whosis. All right, here we go. Let's get back to what we're doing, and we're going to run the triple lots through a computer program.
Speaker 1: I'm here because it's time for the synopsis.
Speaker 3: A high school physics whiz Casey Carlyle again nothing wrong with a good alliteration, defies her mother's academic expectations to pursue her own dream of becoming a competitive figure skater, Sabrina. Before we get too deep into the analysis, early thoughts on Ice Princess, What did you think?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I was in as soon as it came on, because, you know, for some reason, even though I love some of these movies, I don't always one hundred percent remember where they're, where they're going, what you know. It's like I just remember them because I was younger, And as soon as this came on, I was like, oh my, I just remember everyone that kept popping up on the screen.
Speaker 2: I was just like, oh my god, I guess yes, I love her.
Speaker 4: Oh she was great. Okay, this is going to be great. I just kept getting better as the minutes kept rolling me.
Speaker 2: It just kept getting better. I didn't want it to end. It was good.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 3: Did you I agree with you?
Speaker 1: One hundred percent?
Speaker 3: I was, yes, absolutely, to the point where about twenty minutes in, I texted producer Jensen, I'm like, I am one hundred percent in non Ice Princess. I loved this.
Speaker 4: This is also a lot more grill driven, right, not that you're against it, but you're always not into the like the message or you know, because it's kind of a little bit it's definitely more. I mean, it is universal, but for me, I think just the fact that it's in a world where, I mean.
Speaker 2: There were no except for one little boy. There were no boy skaters, which kind of bothered me a tiny bit. But I get it.
Speaker 4: Because they're in different divisions, right or caliber. I don't know caliberies, but they're in something. I don't know that the lingo too much, but it did. It was a little more girl heavy this movie was.
Speaker 1: I didn't care.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 1: I loved everything about it.
Speaker 3: I loved I loved the fact that they threw math in.
Speaker 1: That was part of it. A lot of it didn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: I kind of agree with that one critic who's like, you know, okay, so she's skating for three weeks and all of a sudden she's Olympic caliber.
Speaker 1: None of that makes any sense.
Speaker 3: I get it. These you know again, have the figure skater. They start when they're like two. Yes, So I mean I understand that that's you've really got to You got to postpone any sort of reality to get how good she's gotten, how quickly that being said, The cast, the story, the acting, it was, I was in I was one This.
Speaker 4: Is definitely one of our top three most beautiful casts as well.
Speaker 3: I gotta do.
Speaker 4: And I know we haven't gotten to exactly who's in it yet, but it is like every single person on this.
Speaker 3: Absolutely uh.
Speaker 1: The movie was directed by Tim Fiwell.
Speaker 3: Most of his work was in British TV, where he's from britain Land, but best known for a show called Happy Valley which You Want a Bath to for and the movie I Capture the Castle starring Rose Byrne and Bill Nine.
Speaker 1: Unlike most of the.
Speaker 3: Traditional decom directors we see where the names are mostly repeated week after week, this because it went to theaters, had a different approach and a much more cinematic director, and I think he did just a nominal job. The movie was beautiful and that Cas Sabrina was talking about, let's get to it. So we did want to start by saying we decided to do Ice Princess this week as a tribute to the movie star Michelle Trachtenberg.
Speaker 1: She began acting at.
Speaker 3: Just three years old in commercials, then in her teens appeared on TV shows like Clarissa Explains at All and the Adventures of Pete and Pete. But it was her role as Harriet in the movie Harriet the Spy that first put her on most of America's radar. Then in the two thousands, she played Don Summers, the little sister on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and appear in movies like Inspector Gadget, which was her first film with Disney, euro Trip and Seventeen Again. Later she also stole the scenes as Georgina Sparks in a story arc on Gossip Girl. And here Michelle plays Casey Carlyle, the star of our movie. But sadly she passed away just a few weeks ago at thirty nine years old, a tragic loss for fans and friends, with so many beautiful things being written by her co stars, including some from this very movie. And fun fact, she had never skated before. She trained for ten months with some twenty to twenty two hours a day on the ice, all to get ready for this movie, where she did a lot of her own skating. Yes, of course this movie is pville with stunt doubles for the larger tricks and stuff, but she did a lot of it, and yeah, it was a big loss for the acting world. So we wanted to dedicate this episode of magical rewind to Michelle.
Speaker 1: Hayden Pennetier plays Jen Harwood.
Speaker 3: Pennetier was a busy child actor on shows like One Life to Live, Ally McBeal and Malcolm in the Middle, but was her starring role as Claire Bennett on the show Heroes that made her a star Save the Cheerleader, Save the World. That was later followed by Nashville, which was apparently a musical, where she played the lead character Juliette Barnes opposite Connie Britton. She also starred in movies like Remember the Titans, I Love You, Beth Cooper, and Scream Four.
Speaker 1: She is a very recognizable actress.
Speaker 3: Trevor Bluomiss is Teddy Hartwood. Trevor, who learned how to drive a zamboni for the movie, was a local hire. He was in some Canadian projects like the TV show Stranger in Town and the Andy Garcia thriller The Unsaid. He also was in a reggae band called Stalefish not spelled that way but stay l e Fish like You Do, and an indie rock band called Doom Squad, but his last acting credit was in twenty eleven. He's now a director and creative producer living in Canada, and we have two actresses sitting in the Coleman Reynolds chair today. First up is Joan Cusack, a hilarious character actor as Joan Carlisle. She might now be best known as the voice of Jesse in the Toy Story movies, but is just one of those people who, when they're.
Speaker 1: In the movie, immediately makes it better.
Speaker 3: She's awesome. School of Rock Adams, Family Values, Broadcast News Gross Point Blank, which was alongside her brother John Cusack, and two movies that got her Oscar nominations for Best Supporting Actress, Working Girl and In and Out. I mean, just one banger after another. She's awesome. You might also know her from the TV show Shameless, which got her five Emmy nominations and one win. She is a legend. Seriously, she's so awesome that I have no problem if you pause this show right now to go learn more about Joan Cusack. It is well worth it.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you, anytime I see her, I am one hundred percent in. I do not think I've seen one movie that she's in that I don't.
Speaker 2: Not just like.
Speaker 4: I love she is one of the best. I mean, she's just unreal.
Speaker 3: Yep, she really is. And she's one of those oh she's in this movie, Thank God actresses who maybe doesn't get the credit she deserves, but man, she is aweso so good. And then there is Kim Catral as Jen's mom. Tina Harwood, another very famous actor who has lived many, many lives. Her career dating back to the late seventies had her on TV shows like Logan's Run, Colombo, and Charlie's Angels Boom, Boom and Boom, but then she transitioned into a go to female lead for Screwball's eighties comedies like Porky's Police Academy, Big Trouble, Little China, which is one of my favorite movies of all time, and Mannequin.
Speaker 1: Which we've talked about several times in this podcast.
Speaker 3: Where she played the mannequin. And even though she hasn't gone even a few months without a job for decades, it wasn't until nineteen ninety eight that she became a household name as Samantha Jones on the HBO series Sex and the City, which I call the show I never want to watch with my mother. This one job became arguably one of the most iconic TV Characters of all Time, earning her five Emmy nominations. Were you a Sex and the City fan?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Are you a Samantha, Charlotte or Carrie?
Speaker 3: What were you?
Speaker 2: Who would you think?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I don't, Okay, I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 3: I've seen one or two episodes, so I don't know the characters very well. I know that Kim Katroll is kind of the more promiscuous one.
Speaker 1: Carrie is the She's the Samantha is the main.
Speaker 2: One, right, No, Carrie is the main one.
Speaker 1: Then I would say, you'd be like Carrie, Oh, now who are you?
Speaker 2: I think a lot of my friends would say I was Charlotte?
Speaker 1: Now what is now? What is Charlotte? What is what?
Speaker 2: The prude and the like? No?
Speaker 3: No one. One Martini is enough for me.
Speaker 1: One Martini and a boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, do you know it's weird. I'm a little bit of a mix of it.
Speaker 4: But I definitely am not a Samantha or like, I mean, Carrie.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's just hard.
Speaker 4: Every The best part about that female cast is every single one of those characters are relatable, so you kind of find parts of your life that Okay, makes sense for each of those characters, you have one that it's like your favorite, but then like I would say Carrie was my favorite, but like I feel like my friends would think I was a little bit more of like a Charlotte.
Speaker 3: Okay, who would I be?
Speaker 2: I mean, can I be a Carrie?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll let you. I'll let you ponder on which one I should be?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Uh. Also, much like Christy Amagucci and Go Figure, we have some sports specific actors in this one.
Speaker 1: Juliana Kenrazzo plays Zoe Block.
Speaker 3: Juliana was a professional figure skater who won two gold medals in the ISU Junior Grand Prix. And of course then we also have Olympic superstars Michelle Kwan and Brian Boitano appearing as ESPN reporters. Do you like when real athletes show up in the movies, because I know the Mighty Ducks had some, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It depends on it depends, and it depends how much.
Speaker 4: They're given too, right, I think sports announcers have like a certain like, I don't know, confidence, and they didn't. Neither one of them seem to have what.
Speaker 3: I feel like a really good sports.
Speaker 2: Announcer has the voice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, they were just kind of they have more of like a distinguished voice. So I didn't love it. What Christy Amagucci got to do and go figure was like perfect, It was trick for her, perfect.
Speaker 2: She did it so well.
Speaker 4: This was probably given a little too much to them as far as what we would have.
Speaker 1: Made, and it wasn't great.
Speaker 3: And I could tell that Juliana Canazaro and Kenrazzo, and I could tell that Juliana Kenrazzo was a professional skater because throughout her entire first scene she was almost laughing the whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and when she when she went to skate.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, by that, but I mean just the camera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean even before she was skating, I was like, she's going to turn out to be a real skater because she was like trying not to laugh.
Speaker 1: Throughout her entire person.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And the other two main girls of course in the what was it the Jumping the Jumping Shrimp and uh and and her other friend were also professional skaters in real life as well. You can tell me also, so could we argue when we do our the award show, which we're going to do at some point this has to be up there as most stacked cast of all time.
Speaker 2: For sure, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: Especially I do actually love that it's stacked on the athletic side as.
Speaker 3: Well as well.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, although they I'm sure they used doubles for Hayden, you know, for both of them, but like I don't.
Speaker 2: The fact that we were able.
Speaker 4: To see some really great skating without having to be chopped and just footwork is amazing.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. I agree. I agree this. I really liked it.
Speaker 1: Ice Princess runs ninety eight minutes.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: I do like the idea of that eight minutes above the target and doing if figure eight is a cool figure skating.
Speaker 1: Move right, But sadly that's not.
Speaker 3: Enough to save it.
Speaker 1: It is too long.
Speaker 3: It's too long by eight minutes it is, And we could probably cut one of the montages, and you know how much I love a montage. So writing credits, as I mentioned earlier, it's based on a meg Cabin idea, so she's listed, but she shares credit with the screenwriter Hadley Davis. She only has three writing credits under her name for TV, but listen to the lineup Dawson's Creek, Spin City and scrubs. Pretty good lineup. Davis recently wrote the figure skating kids book Not Yet, The Story of an Unstoppable Skater, all about Zahari Larie, the first ever figure skater from the Middle East to compete internationally and the first compete in a hdgehob the connection between them well. Laurie has stated that it was the movie Ice Princess that originally got her into skating, and she is not the only pro to say that many competitive skaters have pointed to this movie as their catalyst to put on skates. So that is a pretty cool legacy.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's enough of free skate.
Speaker 3: Let's get some private ice time and score the Ice Princess. Here we go, So we start within Ali and aj song playing over our credits. We see ice and snow finally detouring for our ma, finally detouring from starting with our main character's bedroom, but we still see the reflection of a young girl practicing.
Speaker 1: It's Casey Carlyle, doing spins and looking smooth.
Speaker 3: Her mom, Joan Carlyle watches from the house, but when Casey looks over and spots her voyeuristic mom, Joan holds up a math textbook it's time for studying. We jump to mister Bass science class at Casey's high school. Class is just wrapping up, but the teacher wants to talk to Casey while he's toasting a piece of bread on a Bunsen burner. He wants to know if she's weighed her college options yet or heard of the Helen Stoler Physics Scholarship. It's given to the student with the most promise in science, and he thinks it's her calling, but it seems like Casey doesn't fully agree. He explains she'll need a letter of recommendation and a summer physics project, something unusual but personal. Now in the hallway, Casey's telling her friend and about the scholarship and as math whi herself and a little bit boy crazy. But the hot jocks don't give either girl the time of day, unlike Jen Harwood, the pretty blonde cheerleader they're.
Speaker 1: Shocked to see smiling.
Speaker 3: At them and walking right towards them. To their surprise, Jen hans Casey and envelope with an invite to her boyfriend's party inside WHOA. But then we find out, of course, she just wants her to hand the invitation to someone else in a future class with her. You were We've talked about this. You were popular, weren't you.
Speaker 2: I didn't mean I was with a popular crowd.
Speaker 4: I was not the my like, my best friend was the popular one.
Speaker 3: This is the one with the alliterative name Morgan Mackie, Morgan Mackie.
Speaker 2: She was the popular one. I was the little like shrip that was next to her that also.
Speaker 1: Were you a Morgan Mackie lackey.
Speaker 2: I guess, so that was don't you ever tell.
Speaker 3: Her that I won't.
Speaker 1: I won't ever say that you're on Morgan Macinlackett.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was the I was the kid that made all the popular kids possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was just a big, huge nerd.
Speaker 4: But anyway, this was harsh though, and I did not see it coming, which is I was like, oh, wow, we're doing something different, and then No flips it.
Speaker 3: On her and it was like, ow, let's yank that rugout from you right now before you start to think that you are coming to this party. Yeah, it was great. Back home, Casey's mom, who's also a teacher, is thrilled about the scholarship, but Casey is already worried about this quote personal science project unquote, how do you make science personal? Joe knows her daughter can do it. Later that night, Casey and Ann are watching figure skating on TV. Anne wants to leave, but Casey isn't going anywhere. She tuned in and realizes there's probably an exact aerodynamic formula when it comes to being a good skater, and then boom, you can see the light bulb in her head at that exact moment, is this maybe her science project? And I was like, okay, I kind of dig that. It's you know, there's always something. It's the figure skater, hockey star, it's the whatever. They always have to do something with these movies. And I was like, hockey, and are you know figure skating in math or physics?
Speaker 1: And then I was like, yeah, that actually makes.
Speaker 2: So much sense, right, It perfectly works so.
Speaker 4: Much sense with all sports, right, you know, like the angles of hitting you know, a ball or a puck or whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's all of that is very very smart.
Speaker 3: And all of these professional teams and everybody all have science behind They have physicians and this and that and all this physics and all the kind of batting cages and we're taking pictures of how you're doing it and look at your swing. I mean this, there's science involved in all this stuff. So mabally perfect, perfect.
Speaker 1: Sense, which was really really cool.
Speaker 3: So the next day, Casey rides her bike into town to Harvard Ice Skating Club. Shout out to Connecticut, by the way, where this movie takes place. I know it was shot in Toronto, but she's supposed to be from Connecticut. She's intrigued by the rink and the girl skating we see popular Jen is one of the skaters. Casey takes a seat in the bleachers and in a starts filming the girls with her camcorder. And it's so funny because having dated a skater and known this world, the first thing I thought was like, Oh, they're not gonna like her filming people skating. I thought of the second she brought up the camera, I was like, oh, no, no, no, no, that's not gonna go well.
Speaker 1: I know that's not gonna go well.
Speaker 3: And the second that happens, she is startled by a woman grabbing her arm and asking her what the hell she's doing, And I was like, that is so true to life, so true to life. Casey explains it's for her physics project. But the woman, Tina Harwood, not just the name of the building, but Jen's mom thinks Casey is a spy for another skating team. Tina calls for Teddy and says she's calling the cops. Gen c's all the commotion and vouches for Casey kind of by calling her a science skeeek.
Speaker 1: She's like, oh, I know her, She's a science geek.
Speaker 3: Tina gives Casey permission to observe, but says the other parents might not agree, And boy is she right because we hardcut to the other skaters' parents not wanting anything to do with this project. But Casey isn't giving up. She supplies letters of recommendation, promises them privacy, and lets them inspect her driver's license. In the end, as long as Casey is in a distraction, she's allowed to stay. And with that, Casey goes right into filming. She walks onto the ice in her street shoes until Teddy, apparently now the rink's security guard, reprimands her. As a result, she straps on some skates to get closer shots, just as Jen's basketball star boyfriend Brian arrives with a hamburger. How dare this guy. Tina isn't happy to see him, though, yelling at her daughter to get back on the ice and stick to her diet, she kicks Brian out of the rink, establishing her as a mean mom. A new thing we got to add to the old d com list.
Speaker 2: Well is it something since you do know a little bit about this world? Is she not a dance mom but like a skate mom? Is that a term?
Speaker 3: Well, skate mom a dance mom. You're a dance coach. Can I ask do you treat your dancers like this? Is it like strict diet? No boys on the thing? Get your boyfriend out of here.
Speaker 2: You can't say twenty five? Absolutely not, There's no way you could ever ever do that.
Speaker 1: But were you treated like this at all?
Speaker 4: I definitely with the boys, there's definitely a hard role of if they come to competition, they can be there for when you're done and you are dismissed from the squad. Okay, you are not to sit with them and canoodle and hang out.
Speaker 1: Do no canoodling? Canodling sounds like a dance move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's not happening. And bleaches when on my time?
Speaker 3: Thank you, m my watch I love that. So Casey watches on a jen poutzer way back to the ice and Tina tells her winners make sacrifices and again, I've seen this happen. It is totally true to life. Casey suggests maybe they even cheat, which doesn't make a ton of sense yet. Tina commands Casey to turn off the camera and instructs her daughter to get back to practice. The next day with Ann at a diner, Casey already has theories about velocity and mass when it comes to skating, but Ann thinks the report is too dry. She thinks Casey needs to put more of herself into it, which this is two movies in a row. True Confessions, Remember was the same thing. It's like, Okay, I see what you're doing with your project, but you need to put It's.
Speaker 1: Got to be more you. I thought right away. I was like, oh, we just.
Speaker 2: Saw this totally. It helps.
Speaker 4: It helps show your passion, It helps put you right in there instead of just doing like a regular like report.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Smart. Later, Casey catches Tina on her way out of the rink and asker for a few skating lessons, you know, to help the project. Tina agrees and suggests a novice class in the summer, three afternoons a week, eight hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Casey is obviously not happy to hear the price.
Speaker 3: But, yeah, you've picked this like one of the most expensive sports in the world.
Speaker 2: It's like, I want to seem so expensive. That seems expensive.
Speaker 4: Now, eight hundred dollars for three I mean, I don't know how many.
Speaker 3: Because you got to rent the ice time, and you got to get skates and you got it.
Speaker 2: But it's a class, like you're making so much money.
Speaker 4: You're telling me you had twelve kids out on that ice for the recital and each of them paid eight hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: It's like skiing or horseback riding or learning how to fly a plane.
Speaker 1: I mean, all this stuff is super We're doing.
Speaker 2: How to fly a plane and doing ice skating.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but you're picking expensive things. Flying a plane, yeah, you're ice skating. Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Oh, you have no idea how much they stand.
Speaker 3: Thousands of thousands of dollars on ice skating creates a crazy.
Speaker 1: Expensive, crazy ripping people off.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree, but.
Speaker 1: At the end of the day, you can do a triple lots or fly a plane kind of.
Speaker 3: The same thing. So how's how's Casey going to make the money? Well, that's when we cut to her at her new job serving foods to kids during free skate. The customers are brats who breathe on the hot dogs and then don't want them, and it's even more embarrassing when Jen sees her behind the counter and wonders if Casey is going a little overboard with this project. One of the skaters orders a BLT hold the bee heavy on the l which sounds awful because an LT is just what they served at Firefest, and another girl ordered a beef patty squish it till it's dry no bun, which is just a sausage patty. And Jen orders a salad, which at a skating rink just can't be good. It's like ordering it a bowling alley. This also readdresses that Jen has an eating issue that has been passed down by her mom. Clearly. Jen also mentions her top rival, Zoe Blatch, who apparently is getting better every day. We're now back on the ice and coach Tina is presiding over snowplow Sam class and Casey is joined the recitals in August. They need to work hard to get better and comfortable enough to throw their bodies into the air. Tina also introduces them to butt padding, which in twenty twenty five is far more stylish than it ever has been. Pretty much, it's true.
Speaker 2: What are they?
Speaker 4: Is that?
Speaker 1: I was just gonna ask, what is that called?
Speaker 3: What's it's a BLB.
Speaker 4: L B B L William Butler, Oh man, of course, oh.
Speaker 3: God, of course. Casey tries to keep up with her first class, but realizes it's very difficult, especially with the amount of yelling and stress. But by the end of the day she's off to a pretty respectable start, staying late and twirling to a Michelle Branch song like we all do. When she gets ready to leave, Teddy arrives in a zamboni. This guy's always always got a giant zamboni for her and ready to clean the ice, and for some reason, Casey sees this as an invitation to go back on the ice and practice more with her big old fig butt. And for reasons I know because I grew up in Connecticut. This infuriates Teddy. It is not safe to be on the ice when somebody's got a zamboni. What are you giggling at over there, Sara, I don't know what you're giggling at.
Speaker 1: He does he have a big zamboni? Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: I do not know. I don't know anything right now, I'm in my Charlotte ways.
Speaker 4: Now you've got me exactly uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Zamboni's that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm just saying focus, focus on being Samantha and grab that zamboni. Charlotte. So here's whichever one. She apologizes and says she just wanted to skate on a smooth surface since she only uses a pond near her house. On her way off the ice, she falls, this time bustin hers big bbl or whatever that is. While Teddy helps her clean up, they bond over science she knows a little bit about because he works on cars, specifically his giant zamboni.
Speaker 1: Did you know what a zamboni was?
Speaker 2: Yes? I knew what a zamboni was.
Speaker 1: Okay, I just want to hear you say, does zamboni? Does it take on a whole different connotation when you.
Speaker 3: Put giant in front of it? Is giant zamboni so much different than zamboni. It's a big piece of machinery.
Speaker 2: It's so much different. Please move on to.
Speaker 3: A big piece of machinery. That's all I'm saying. Casey and Teddy have a very nice moment before she leaves for home with a huge hole in her butt, which also sounds weird now that I say that.
Speaker 1: Out there. That night, Joe checks in.
Speaker 3: On her daughter, who's working later to the night on our project. Joan admits she doesn't love ice skating and she can't get over the little outfits after wear. She even says if she saw Casey squeeze into one of those things, she'd end up crying, which I thought was a little much. Casey, of course, promises her she never will. The next day, at the rink, with Anne, Casey's recording intros for her video presentation, but having trouble sounding natural, she tries some spins, even nailing a maneuver and completely shocking Anne. And Yes, in one class she's already like jumping in landing jumps, and this is where I was like, Okay, let it go. For dal, let it go. It's obvious that you can't get it. It's ice skating. It's incredibly difficult.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not just difficult.
Speaker 1: It's scary.
Speaker 4: I don't care if you put ginormous baby mattresses around me. I'm gonna be scared trying to like jump in the air and do that. It takes so long to be good at ice skating and to have confidence. So although we have a little she's got a little bit of a superpower with all of her knowledge of the math and the all of that. It's I'm I'm gonna go with it just because I want to and I'm gonna decide to.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, it is just a little extreme.
Speaker 1: It's too much.
Speaker 3: This is the ice skating equivalent of the band never having practice, but they all know the song.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, so yeah, gotta just like lean.
Speaker 3: Let go, absolutely, let go. Let God, that's all you can do with this one. So yes, she's a pro and one lesson. This causes Casey to run to Tina. She wants to do the recital, you know, for science. Tina tells her to be back at the rink at five thirty tonight, but Casey is a Harvard mixer at three either way, though Casey promises.
Speaker 1: She'll make it.
Speaker 3: Tina also tells her to stop by her house to pick up something to wear, and we cut to Casey trying on a red outfit back at home. This is just after her mom told her that it would make her cry. It fits perfectly, and just some behind the scenes info here reportedly production had to keep adding material and rhinestones to make sure it wasn't too sexy for Disney. I believe it, Yeah, I do too, when in doubt, add some rhinestones. Now back in the movie, Casey's mom knocks on the door, and remember she said she'd cry if she ever saw her daughter in one of those ice skating outfits. Casey scrambles to cover herself in a robe just in time to get a present from her mom, which is a professional skirt suit she immediately puts on for the Harvard mixer. Casey states she doesn't want to stay for more than an hour and starts to tell her mom about ice skating, but is interrupted by a huge embrace. Her mom is just happy she's at the mixer instead of the rink.
Speaker 1: Oh, very bad timing.
Speaker 3: Once inside, the scene of the party couldn't be any stuffier. She talks to one student who just says everything rocks. If Casey wasn't already wishing she was at the rink she is now. Even though Joan is totally obsessed with everything, Casey.
Speaker 1: Is dying inside.
Speaker 3: But when Casey reaches for the bruschetta or derv it's revealed she's wearing her ice skating outfit underneath, like Peter Parker wearing a spider Man costume. Talk about playing with fire. And just when Casey is starting to look at her watch this kind of everything rock student offers to go through the entire physics syllabus piece by piece.
Speaker 1: There is no way she's going to make this practice or recital.
Speaker 3: Now at this skating club, Casey Sprinton late, and now we see she is surrounded by children.
Speaker 1: She's the oldest by maybe ten years.
Speaker 3: And I guess we kind of knew they set up she was going to the recital, so we knew it was all kids, Like we knew this is what she was going to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, Yeah, I mean she already had the class with the kids, so you knew that that, yeah, was going top.
Speaker 3: I was hoping maybe there'd be one other kind of someone close to her age.
Speaker 1: But I get why they're doing this. It makes makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So then we're on the ice and she is having a mile panic attack. Casey gets in a position and we see Jen is watching on. I'm kind of confused with what happens next. So has she been the classes have been rehearsing for this recital, Yes, but she was not gonna be in the recital. But she ended up having the lead in the recital.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that part didn't make sense. It would make sense for like typical especially reck they're called like recreational classes or novice class is at a dance studio. You learn the recital routine whether you're going to be in it or not, because that's what they practiced during your time of the Turks. So you can opt out of not buying the costume, showing up to the recital and actually performing, but you still are going to know the teachers just typically, which makes this weird, typically will put you like in the back line or on the side, so that when you're not on the stage, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: The fact that she has a solo.
Speaker 4: At the end of it wasn't supposed to be lose me because I was like, oh, yeah, she knows the recital part part because that's what they've been practicing. But then she got a full bloom solo and you're like, yeah, was this like an improv part?
Speaker 2: No, it just was a solo part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, agreed, They almost got it right.
Speaker 2: They almost like it almost.
Speaker 3: So Teddy's running the spotlight and turns it onto Casey who performs the synchronized routine with the children.
Speaker 1: It's oh so quiet. So I guess she had to.
Speaker 3: Know that because that's what they rehearsed. But again, she wasn't supposed to be in the show. That part got confusing, so she just started working with Tina like the I guess one of the problems I had with this movie is just time. Yeah, like they needed to what's the time commitment here? Because she goes from I'm skating on my pond to performing and then to competing in like a month.
Speaker 1: It seems like yes, so.
Speaker 4: And all they could have done is it could have been like I've been working my butt off for six months, Like they could have just had like one or two lines to just progress how much time.
Speaker 1: Well, they tried.
Speaker 3: They tried to do something, and I picked up on this because I went back and checked again. They certainly tried to do something with the seasons because at the beginning, she's skating on the pond and it's clearly winter, and then she's riding her bike and the pond is fine. So they're showing some passage of time, right, But I that it a little muddled with how she then knew the entire thing anyway, because she just started working with Tina. But anyway, Casey aka mostly Michelle Trachtenberg's double is doing a great job, pulling off two big spins and impressing coach Tina and the crowd. Again, we don't know when she supposed to have learned all this, because again she's supposed to also be in the basic class, so they're already teaching spins. Anyway, the performer's bow and everyone applauds, except Jen, who storms off. Casey gets her score. She got a quote junior pass unquote, which means she skips two levels right to her gen and those mean girls are at so now automatically she's in with the coach's kid and everybody. It seemed like that was a bit of a jump. All the kids are very impressed. Casey is, of course thrilled. If she wants to compete, though she'll need a coach a choreographer, private ice time, nine more years of her life, and she can't afford any of that. Most parents take out loans to make it happen. She would need new six hundred dollars skates, which they call boots. I remember when I got mine from Disney. They hurt so much, and then Nancy Kerrigan made fun of me for having them. Yes, Tina reminds her, you need to want it more than anything else in your life. Again, having peaked behind the curtain of this skating world, that is one hundred percent true. It needs to be your life. My ex girlfriend would do two and three a days, like six days a week.
Speaker 1: It's all she wanted.
Speaker 3: The next morning is Casey's day of senior year, and in the school hallway the ice skating mean girls earnestly slow clap for Casey. And if you are earning a slow clap in either the late nineties or early two thousands, you have done something impressive and they are impressed that she landed a double. Have you ever been involved in a slow clap in any movie?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Never been involved in her No, I don't think so. And then it builds and then everybody cheer, Oh, that's when you know you've made it, Srina, That's when you know that you have made it. They are impressed that she landed the double Jen, who is standing by the way, I haven't either. For the record, Jen, who is standing with them, is obviously jealous, but Casey breaks it to them she doesn't have the money to compete any further. Jen tells Casey she's lucky. She can have a normal life, eat regular food like bread, have a boyfriend. Jen would love to be Casey. And that's when the smallest of the three girls shows her passion. She's called the jump and Shrimp her mom copyright of the term, and all she wants to do is skate. She does have the passion and an unreal nickname, and frankly I could tell she was a skater in real life. But I loved her characters.
Speaker 2: She thought she was great. Great, She was great.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I thought she was so funny throughout the whole time. At the very end is when was my favorite.
Speaker 1: Part of her me too, but just the jumping spider.
Speaker 3: I thought it was great.
Speaker 1: We are now.
Speaker 3: The jumping shrimp, not the jumping spider.
Speaker 1: Jumping shrimp. Jumping Spider's great too.
Speaker 2: It is good.
Speaker 3: We are now back in mister Bast's class. Say that five times fast. He loves Casey's project. It's the exact passion that Harvard wants to see. He says it's so good she could probably sell it, and boom, we see another light bulb go off in Casey's head. Casey offers the ice skating cool girls, even Jen tutoring using her scientific method. It's for money.
Speaker 1: She found a way to raise cash, and we found ourselves in my favorite a montage ooh, which is hard to get that high when you have a cult.
Speaker 3: Casey is practicing NonStop, and Tina and Teddy see her commitment. Teddy even admits he loves what he sees, and the and the flirting has officially begun.
Speaker 1: Oo who is popping his zmbone? But then Joan barges into the rink.
Speaker 3: Uh oh, Casey missed her Orthodonis's appointment, and now mom has some questions like what's going on here and who's this Teddy character? Then Tina appears and chimes in, your daughter's very talented. It gets tense as Joan figures out it's Tina Harwood, the former professional skater. Quote with all the trophies and little outfits unquote. Eventually, Katie scurries out of the rink, but not before we see a standoff between her coach and her mother, And every time those two are on screen facing off, it was.
Speaker 2: Awesome magic, It was oh so good, flying, h so.
Speaker 3: Good, and it's just the bow kind of the judging each other and hatred behind their eyes.
Speaker 1: Instantly.
Speaker 3: Oh, it just worked. And it wouldn't have been as good with any other actresses.
Speaker 2: No, oh exactly. They were perfect opposites.
Speaker 3: Perfect, perfect, absolutely great. That night, Casey sits in her bed writing scientific equations when her mom enters and puts the ice skates in the closet for good. The next day, though, Casey's right back at the rink, filming and analyzing skaters, but not skating herself. She's making these girls better while making money, and Tina notices. Jen gets the guts to ask her mom coach Tina to stay out past eleven pm on Saturday night with friends, but she has a five thirty practice in the morning.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know there was a five thirty in the morning, so.
Speaker 3: It's a big no at first, but she wants to know who Jen will be hanging out with and since she answers, it's just dinner in a movie with Casey, she's allowed to go. But then that night we cut to Jen and Casey pulling up to a house party, not dinner in a movie.
Speaker 1: They were liars.
Speaker 3: Jen sash's inside, but Casey says she is not dressed for a party. Jen encourages Casey to just shake out her hair and everything is somehow better, and honestly, Casey does it, and Jen was right.
Speaker 1: It works.
Speaker 3: Inside, of course, like a good nineties early aughts party. It is going off, lots of kids. Casey doesn't know a lot of dancing. We've talked about this.
Speaker 1: You danced at parties, didn't you. We never did that. No, you didn't dance at parties. There wasn't music playing, and you were dancing.
Speaker 2: At parties maybe like a jud or high.
Speaker 3: Oh but not later. Okay a fair enough.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, good music playing, but no dancing.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 1: I'm god.
Speaker 3: I just I just see parties from high school, from these movies, so I didn't know what was real and what wasn't. And myf of what I know of movies and parties, they all end up in karate fights. That's what happens in my in the movies that I saw so exactly. Jen gets to work quickly though, introducing Casey to some jockey bro named Kyle, then finding her boyfriend and goes mackin on him passionately. Casey, now alone with Kyle, seems to be hitting it off, so he invites her to their next game. Then a boy appears on the second floor. He's gonna zip line the hole made contraption. This, of course, worries Casey's science brain. She starts doing the equations and she thinks he's going to crash through a window, which he then promptly does. The party laughs, and Casey explains to the hot guy Kyle that the problem was just physics, but the fact that she's smart totally turns off the hockey stud and he walks away because smart girls are gross.
Speaker 2: What a loser?
Speaker 3: What a loser? Now dejected, some mean girls rub it in Casey's face that she fumbled Kyle by ranting about science. But then she's.
Speaker 1: Saved by Teddy.
Speaker 3: He's at the party and thinks science ranting is pretty darn cool. He pulls Casey away to drink some cokes. Definitely not beer drink some cokes, not do coke. Totally different kind of party and they are outside, thank god. Right now chatting, Casey realizes that Teddy is Tina's sun. She thought he was just the help, but then being related seem kind of obvious to me. Did that seem obvious to you?
Speaker 2: Yes? Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Also him and Hayden's character look him and Jen looked nothing alike.
Speaker 3: That's true. That's true. So maybe, yeah, he must take after the dad, which is who's never mentioned in this Jen and Tina.
Speaker 1: Tina's extu at the.
Speaker 4: Very beginning, after she talks about the mom after the divorce.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, I didn't pick that up.
Speaker 2: He's in a very leak of eye.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, good pull, I didn't get that at all.
Speaker 3: Nice. Okay. So Casey, who apparently can't talk about anything other than physics even when she doesn't want to, loses her footing when a girl brushes by her and steps into an ice bucket. She's embarrassed, but Teddy makes her feel good about it. Just can't keep your feet out of the ice. Hey, it's my zamboni, then her alarm. I'm just gonna keep saying it to make you laugh. Then her alarm rings, she wakes up and it's the next morning. Did she black out from too many cokes? Was she drugged?
Speaker 1: What happens? Because we go right from that to her waking up the next morning, and I was like, whoa, this.
Speaker 2: Movie does that so many times.
Speaker 4: I mean right in the beginning when it's her out on that ice rink and the mom taps to the book and then boom, she's in class, Like it really it bront cut fast, it does it. It's not like a ease of time in this.
Speaker 3: Yes, some of the transitions were a little abrupt. I would say, yeah.
Speaker 4: If they didn't and they made him a little bit longer, it would be even farther past that ninety minute mark'sush.
Speaker 3: Guys, let's keep it going, get back to skating and math. Anyway, we get another montage. Katie rushes to the rink to skate, She wait trains, she coaches the other girl. She works at a snack shop, she rides her bike, she takes ballet classes, and she does what we are now seeing more and more of. She falls asleep at school. So this is becoming a new dcom trope to let you know the kid is working hard at something they're not supposed to be doing. This is now the third or fourth movie we've seen this in. Eventually, Joan wants to know where her daughter has been. Casey tries to say she's just been tutoring with Anne, but Anne just called for her. Ah busted. Always keep a lie, simple people. Joan knows her daughter's grades are slipping and wants to know what is going on with her.
Speaker 1: She's gonna miss out on Harvard.
Speaker 3: Casey tries to leave, but when her mom grabs her arm, her backpack falls to the ground, exposing her ice skates and skimpy outfits. And her mom looked at the bag and looked at her like her bag fell on the ground and a kilo of black tar heroines spilled out. It was like she looked at her like are you what are you? Are you skating? It was so it was a bit over the top for me, where it was like her bag might as well been filled with stolen chard stone cusack.
Speaker 4: She freaks me out when she gets fed, so I'm like, hey, listen. She is like the ultimate of either Mom or Auntie that you do not want to double crossed.
Speaker 3: She doesn't play she doesn't play, but seriously, it was she looked at it like like a severed head rolled out of her daughter's bag. It was amazing. That night, mom and daughter eat dinner together in silence until Casey mentions regionals. Joan just doesn't get it what she wants to throw away everything for this sport where your shelf life is just eight years Joan, who's again showing that she has a very analytical mind. Joan wishes she went to college, then she wouldn't be living like this. But I didn't understand that because she's a professor. A professor, Yeah, she seemed to be a professor, so I think she had to go to college, I would imagine. So I didn't get that.
Speaker 4: But did she say she wishes she would to college at her age?
Speaker 3: Maybe that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's what it is, because yeah, that didn't make a lot of sense to me. But anyway, Yeah, Casey loves how they live.
Speaker 3: Joan just needs her to do this one thing for her, quit skating and focus on school. And that was like where she says to her that line, She's like, you've given me everything. She's like, then you need to give me this. I was like, Oh, I mean that's rough, that is that's yeah, give up that thing you love.
Speaker 4: That might have been one of the harshest things we've had a parent say to a kid in a Disney movie Slash dcon with you.
Speaker 3: Wow, that was a verbal yikes. For me, that was like wow. Yeah. But it is now the day of regionals and Casey still sneaks off to the rink. Tina and Jen are piling into a van with the skaters and their families. Teddy is coming along too, and Jen notices the flirting between her brother and Casey. We transition into a terribly timed Gary Glitter song called rock and Roll Do Not Google That piece of fans are piling into the rink and we see the team's main competition, Zoe Block. She wastes no time and exchanges words with the Jumping Shrimp, also the Jumping Spider and Jen, and soon after Zoe introduces herself to Casey. She's kind of nice to Casey at first, but ends up insulting her for how older skates are. But on the brighter side of things, Jen puts makeup on Casey for the first time ever. She also gives her permission to.
Speaker 1: Date her brother. That's nice to do, but kind of weird timing in the rink.
Speaker 3: Zoe Block is the first skater in the short program and she knocks the judges socks off the jumping shrimp.
Speaker 1: And do great too. And now it is Casey's turn.
Speaker 3: She nervously takes the ice and notices the crowd her judges aren't expecting much. A Madonna song starts and she has an early slip up, but gets it together quickly and starts to wow the crowd. They're really into her by the end of the program, and she nails a triple jump, which makes sense because she's been skating for three weeks. After the routine, the scores are posted. Jumping trip is number one and Jen comes in fourth. Casey is in fifth, which wouldn't get her to move on, but is respectable. Jen tells her she can make it up later and maybe even bump her out a fourth, which is a very nice thing to say to her new friend. But this catches coach Tina's attention. Ooh, that's not gonna go well. Tina notices Casey's old skates and blames the mistake on their age. She decides to buy new skates and blades from the rink shop, which is an active kindness, we think. And by this point, because I knew where this is going, I was like, Oh, she's not, She's not.
Speaker 1: What did you feel like?
Speaker 4: Jilly don't know anything about ice skating, But to me, I was like, wait, this can't be good.
Speaker 2: This cannot be a good thing.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I don't know why because I didn't know if it was because the blades are too sharp, Like do you have to wear those down a little bit?
Speaker 2: I just did? I mean who they stiff?
Speaker 1: So then in her second routine, now wearing those new skates, Casey is doing great, but then totally falls on a landing. Wait did the new skates let her down? What happened? She gets up and finishes kind of respectfully.
Speaker 3: Final update on scores are posted and Zoe Block finishes in first. Jen is still in fourth and Casey just missed out placing fifth. Jen celebrates that she's going to sectionals, but something feels very off. Back in the locker room, Casey takes off her new skates to reveal they've eaten through her socks, leaving large bloody blisters on her feet. Zoe Block sees this and his concerned. She explained skaters should never compete in new skates it takes at least ten days to break in. Zoe suggests that Tina got them so Casey would mess up and keep her daughter in the top four. Yikes. Casey cannot believe this and decides to confront Tina, Jen and Teddy about it. Tina says her old skates were a mess, and we see Jen is really confused. Casey thinks all the Hardwood family was in on this and she's been sabotaged. You say sabotage, I say sabotage if you know you know. A crying Casey calls her mom and asks her to pick.
Speaker 1: Did you know what I just said?
Speaker 3: Did you get that? No? No?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: It's a famous William Shatner William Shatner routine from back in the day. He's recording and the literally the voiceover session. They have audio of it where he says, Spock sabotage the system and somebody says.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, mister Shatner, can you say sabotage?
Speaker 3: He says, I don't say sabotage. You say sabotage. I say sabotage. So yes, let's sabotage.
Speaker 1: She was sabotage anyway.
Speaker 3: A crying Casey calls her mom and asks her to pick her up. She is ready to come home. Joona arrives and immediately confronts Tina. How dare she injure her daughter? And oh, I thought she was gonna punch her in the face.
Speaker 2: This is my favorite, Joan. This is it. I I watched it three or four times because she is so good to let what she lays it down. Oh my god, it's so good.
Speaker 1: This whole scene, this whole scene was I know.
Speaker 2: I just sat there watching, like, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Two great actresses going back at neither backing down, both just staring each other down in a parking lot.
Speaker 1: Well written, amazingly acted this scene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was fire. So Joan arrives immediately confronts Tina. How dare she injure her daughter? Tina says she did her a favor. She knows Joan didn't want her skating, and Casey just isn't cut out for it.
Speaker 1: She's gifted, but too polite to do what you have to do.
Speaker 3: Wow. Joan pushes back. Tina lies and cheats to succeed, but Joe knows she's raised her daughter strong and honest. Great work between these two amazing actors here, Joan Cusack and a stone cold Kim Katral a bit of a dream duo, especially for a Disney movie.
Speaker 1: That I mean this. You could have sold the film right here on this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know you got two.
Speaker 4: This is two mama bears going come at me again, Come at me again, Come at me again.
Speaker 3: It was great, It was great. Back at home. Casey has returned to her studies, but is still really bummed about everything turned out.
Speaker 1: I don't blame her.
Speaker 3: She was starting to trust Tina and then Tina broke her feet. At school, Jen runs up to Casey. She swears she didn't know what her mom was up to, but Casey basically runs away from her. Then Tina shows up. She is very mad at Jen. Practice was an hour and a half ago. Why is she late? Then Jen drops a bombshell. She quits the team. She says her mom doesn't actually care what she wants. Jen wants to stop missing school, and she wants to go to the home coming dance with her boyfriend, and she wants to learn math, and she wants to be a kid, and she cannot believe what her mom did with Casey skates the bell rings and Tina says they'll finish this discussion at home. As students fill the hallway, Jen is now crying, squatting on the floor. When Casey walks up, she heard the whole thing. Jen explains now that she's dropped out fifth place, Casey takes her spot at sectionals, but Casey doesn't want it. She's focusing on her Harvard interview. And this was such a great transition where you're seeing both You're starting to get that both the moms are forcing these lives under their kids, and both the kids want to swap places. It was just it was very well done. It really really was Yeah, amazing, And then we jump to that Harvard interview again, another hard cut. A faculty member calls her project a quote nice little experiment unquote, but isn't sure A triple loop entitles her to a physics scholarship. She argues the project isn't about numbers. She helped three skaters become Olympic ready, and she even used the experiment on her own skating, giving the project a personal reward. The faculty member is very impressed that kind of passion is what they're looking for here at Harvard.
Speaker 1: He asks, why are.
Speaker 3: You passionate about Harvard? She takes deep breath and squirms. She explains she's dreamt of Harvard her entire life, but what she needs to be doing isn't there at Harvard. Ooh. She apologizes and leaves back in the car. Joan is beside herself. How is Casey giving up her dream? Casey argues, it's not her dream, it's her mom's boom in the hold.
Speaker 1: The tides are earned.
Speaker 3: It just was very good. Casey is back to practicing on her chunky home pond, relearning moves, falling all the time, even though it's only been days since she's last been on the ice. But we need to accept the time in this movie is really, really weird, and right when she's ready to give up, oh, who shows up but Teddy with his giant zamboni.
Speaker 1: He wants to smooth the eyes for her.
Speaker 3: Come on, say it with me, Say giants zamboni, one time for me, Say giant zamboni, one time for me, Sabrina, Come on, he won't She won't do it, Come on anyway. She tries to apologize for thinking he knew about the skates, but he's already moved on. He's ready to help, and just like that, she is a pro again. Teddy's mesmerized, but he breaks it to her she is gonna need some help if she wants to win. We cut to Tina in her kitchen, cutting vegetables like you do, and the doorbell rings. It's Casey. She wants five minutes to talk. Casey cuts right to the chase. What happened in Sarajevo because we heard her earlier that she was that Tina was kicked out of Sarajevo. Why didn't Tina win the Olympics? Blaine, she quote accidentally collided unquote with another skater and that skater got injured. But Casey asked if she's sorry about what happened, inferring that maybe we aren't getting the whole truth. And this is also when I noticed the name similarities between Tina Harwell and Tanya Harding.
Speaker 2: That was a Sabrina season.
Speaker 1: I'm like, do you think yeah?
Speaker 3: I do? I think they they And then they allude to it later where the skater skates right past her on the ice, it's yeah, they're they're saying it's a very cutthroat world. Tina says that she was suspended and paid her dues, but by the time she was reinstated, she was too old to compete. But she wishes she could relive the moment because she would have done it very differently. Casey wants Tina to coach her at the sectionals. Now, this was another thing. She said, Look, I don't have a coach, and you don't have a skater, which didn't make any sense because she has the jumping shrimp.
Speaker 2: No ing shrimp, that's not her, the the guy that's in the track suit next to her mom, the redhead that she's.
Speaker 3: She's not her coach. So she's not her coach. She's not coaching all three of those girls. At the beginning, she coaching her.
Speaker 2: Daughter at her gym.
Speaker 3: She only I thought it was those were her parents. I thought the other people there in the trackso note those are her parents.
Speaker 4: Well, no, the tracks, the mom was there, and then the other guy was her coach.
Speaker 3: Oh see, I thought Tina was coaching all of them. Okay, so that makes more sense. Okay, Casey wants Tina to coach her at sectionals. Tina is shocked, but says she still doesn't think Casey has what it takes. Casey disagrees, she wants this more than anything she's ever wanted, even Harvard. Tina eventually gives in. She tells Casey to get to the rink at five point thirty tomorrow morning, and then she gets some salad dressing from the fridge back at Casey's house. Though Joan can't believe she's even considering working with Tina again, Casey says, Skatie makes you feel strong and graceful and beautiful. She knows her mom is jealous of Tina, but ensures her that it will always be them versus the world. She begs her mom to come and watch her skate at the rink, but Joan says no, she can't and leaves harsh. We're thrown into the sectionals, which are apparently televised in ESPN. We get our pro cameos with Brian Boitano and Michelle Kwan as announcers who know events to them because they are wonderful skaters but are not very good as commentators. The rink is full of fans and the girls are all skating like champs in the bleachers, Jen and Ann start to get to know each other, possibly trading math tutoring for introducing and to hot guys, which would be a good sequel. They can call it the Horny Princess. I think that'd be great. I'm pitching that right now, Horny Princess too. This time it's personal. Zoe kills her first round, as do all the girls, even the jumping shrimp. This is a step up and skill from what we've seen in the past. And then it's Casey's first round. She has an impressive showing, putting her right and fourth place, but coach Tina and Jen continue to push her. Casey also reveals that her and her mom have barely talked for two months. Her heart is broken. So again, the time in this movie is very strange. There's trying to show passage of time. We don't know how long it's been since she's strapped on her skates to competing. Has been like less than a year, which I think is but anyway, we're letting it go because we like this movie. It's just the way it is. Yes, So we cut to Jones' classroom. She's teaching a class but has her eye on the clock. It's almost four and you could tell she's thinking about her daughter at the competition. Meanwhile, Casey's trying to call her mom. She just wants to hear her voice, but she keeps getting something we old people used to call an answering machine. She also gets an answering machine from nineteen eighty two, which is what it looks like for some reason. Then Casey has announced as the final skater, and Tina places a tiara on her pupil's head. She gives her one last piece of advice with a smile, skate with your heart. Casey takes the ice in front of the biggest crowd yet and glides like an angel.
Speaker 1: And I'm sorry, but she looked like a princess.
Speaker 2: She looked amazing.
Speaker 3: She looked absolutely First of all, she looked like a figure skater. She looked like a princess. It was perfect casting. She looked great.
Speaker 1: I mean, she really did.
Speaker 3: So she starts to go and it's a perfect performance until she crashes after a triple salcow.
Speaker 1: The crowd gasps. When we have the best shot of the movie. It cuts to.
Speaker 3: Gen who's just nervously eating popcorn. Casey gets up and can continues now nailing all of her moves, and she notices her mom is there in the stands. She's tearing up and smiling. This gives Casey the motivation she needs. She hits a perfect triple loop and then a spontaneous triple lutz as Gena Tina reconnecting the audience rooting for their student. Casey is in full comeback mode and completes the song to a standing ovation, even from her mom. Casey gets her scores and they are so close, but she's gonna have to settle for second place behind the jumping Shrimp. But this does get her to National It's her chance to make it all the way to the Olympics, so it's kind of hard to see this as a loss. Casey's hugging Tina and Ann when her mom walks up. Joan tells her daughter, if she knew how passionate and how good she was, she never would have stopped her in the first place. She apologizes and they embrace a nice payoff.
Speaker 1: Between mother and daughter.
Speaker 3: Casey goes back to the ice to take it all in one last time. Then Teddy brings her roses and the keys to his zamboni takes on a whole new meaning. Now, doesn't it I ruined it for you, didn't I, Sabrina, Here are the keys to my giant zamboni. She can drive it whenever she wants to. Ooh, it's one euphemism after another. Now I've ruined zamboni for you forever. They kiss, proving again that this was in theaters, not only on the Disney Channel. Oh man, nearby the Victoria, this is great. Nearby the Victoria's jumping shrip is now complaining like a tyrant. She knows she's doomed when Casey gets six more months of training with Tina, and she's yelling at everyone on her team. But as soon as the news reporter asks you a question, she turns around and changes it to a completely like psychopath and becomes a sweet, little, humble skater again.
Speaker 1: And I've seen this happen too. It is exactly right.
Speaker 2: Oh man. It was my favorite favorite place for her in this movie.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: It was great, so good yep. Now one time enemies, Joan and Tina are leaving the ring together. Joan admits they can't afford all this. They need to find a sponsor. Tina has that coverage. She's already been talking to Burger Blast. I'm not sure that's the best name for a food chain. It's like calling Taco Bell Taco Explosion. But uh Burger Blast, Okay, Uh, hey man, let's go to Burger squirt Go Explosion.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Sean is already butting heads with a coach. If her daughter can't eat the food, she can't endorse it. She suggests grape nuts. They do agree on one thing, though, they need to get rid of that boy who's her son dating is too much of a distraction, and that is our movie boom. So Britta, let's do some real reviews. And I think this week you've got our five star?
Speaker 1: What do we got?
Speaker 4: I do our five stars from Keana s In some ways, I am Casey love this movie. Pursue your passion. People, We're not on earth for a long time. You might as well die having done the things you loved. Yes, Kean our inspiration.
Speaker 3: No girl, I am digging that, Keana ess taking that with me. I have the one star this week, and it's by our old friend Nomaous back.
Speaker 1: Yes, unnamed, this movie sucks.
Speaker 3: If I had a choice between chopping my left nut off or watching this movie again, I'd chop my nut off.
Speaker 1: Well, unamid, I would suggest chopping.
Speaker 3: Them both off, so you don't make any little unamids because this movie was not one star and it did not suck ass.
Speaker 1: I disagree entirely.
Speaker 3: Gee, And now we are approaching Sabrina's.
Speaker 1: Favorite part of the book, Graham.
Speaker 3: It is our feature of the week. So before she gets into skating, Casey is a high school science prodigy. So this week we're going to be asked fifth grade level science questions. Oh God, Jenson.
Speaker 1: If we can get three out of five, we win.
Speaker 3: If we lose, we're not smarter than a fifth grader, which actually seems like that would be a pretty good TV show. Thank you Jensen for making us look bad? Are you with us?
Speaker 1: Producer Jensen?
Speaker 4: I hope your sickness goes on for another week.
Speaker 2: I already hate this all right.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 1: Number one.
Speaker 3: Which layer of the earth is made of solid rock? And is the outermost layer? Is it a the core, be the crust, see the mantle or d the magma, the magma, the liquid hot magma.
Speaker 2: I don't the crust seems so weird.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with mantle, Okay, I'm gonna say it's be the crust.
Speaker 1: Is it it is? Be the crust?
Speaker 2: Yes, that seems too weird the layer.
Speaker 3: Number two, what type of energy is stored in food? Is it a kinetic energy? Be chemical energy see potential energy or D solar energy Sabrina, See potential I'm gonna agree, see potential energy.
Speaker 1: B baby, is it it's chemical energy?
Speaker 3: Really? I just made up potential energy.
Speaker 2: For the right.
Speaker 3: Really, I would think it would be potent.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Number three?
Speaker 3: What is the process by which water changes from a liquid to a gas? Is it a condensation? B freezing see precipitation or d evaporation Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Oh, d evaporation.
Speaker 3: That is correct, it is d evaporation.
Speaker 1: It's d. Let's move on r Number four.
Speaker 3: Which part of the planet is responsible for making food through photosynthesis? Is it A the roots, be the stems, see the leaves, or D the flowers Saprina, the flowers. I believe it's see the leaves. It's see the leaves. There we go, all right, I won phew. And number five, what do we call the path that electricity flows through? Is it a a circuit, be a battery, see a conductor or d a switch.
Speaker 2: Ah, the circuit.
Speaker 3: I think it's a circuit too.
Speaker 1: I think it's a the circuit, the confidence a circuit.
Speaker 3: You did great, Thank you, Producer Jensen. I'm ashamed I got one wrong, if I'm honest. God, I thought it would have it's chemical energy and food. Interesting. I got it the whole new thing. I gotta read anyway, can we do some Sabrina sees.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: We talked about one of the I mean, one of the things the whole house says. She makes it seem it's weird, her mom makes her their life seem like it's just awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty nan you to me, it has gone it.
Speaker 4: The stuff inside looked like it had been passed down from generation to generations. And one of the first things is the oldest TV of the world in two thousand and five. Like that TV was like it looked I mean, it might as well have had like foil and they it was such an old TV.
Speaker 2: There was at one point again it's like I said, you know, what time of year is it?
Speaker 4: It keeps bouncing back and forth. It was very hard for me to follow, so that was kind of different.
Speaker 2: I also wondered why when people like.
Speaker 4: When people have a style and when it when one flannel gets involved, then the whole costume wardrobe is flannel, flannel, flannel, flannel, flannel. This poor girl, Casey just had flannels after flannels.
Speaker 1: It was all Connecticut.
Speaker 3: We were big flannel people in Connectics.
Speaker 2: It is. It's like a Connecticut thing because she's the only.
Speaker 3: One that you know, the flannel comes from the town of Flannel, Connecticut.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't know that, Okay, but she's the.
Speaker 3: Only one where kidding Sabrina, there's no such thing as Flannel Connecticut.
Speaker 2: And Jensen, I just hope you guys are just balls.
Speaker 1: As not the rest of the I will be I will be.
Speaker 4: Man all right, And then again I have to as always, I'm so you know, I love music.
Speaker 2: I'm into it.
Speaker 4: This was like the perfect Disney soundtrack for me. It was just like it was so great from hearing you know, these young voices, these young artists. It really added so much to the movie in my opinion. So I really really loved it. I thought that recital routine was sud It was so awful.
Speaker 2: I couldn't get over it. I'm like, literally, it's in big bold letters.
Speaker 4: What the hell was that like, I get it's a novice in their little kids, but I felt like it was so bad, especially after all the rest of the skating we see, maybe it.
Speaker 2: Needed to be right.
Speaker 3: Maybe, yeah, maybe she's supposed to be so far ahead of the little kids already that that's why they jump her up two spots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, it just the the outfit. There was no like costume choice.
Speaker 4: It was basically like these kids said they could they could ice skate, and it was like, bring your own wardrobe to the set that day, because these didn't make.
Speaker 2: Any sense to me at all. And then.
Speaker 4: The makeover, the little kind of you know, she puts the makeup, she looked she had darker eyeliner, and that was it, Like she.
Speaker 2: Looked so beautiful the whole movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that like makeover section didn't really work because it didn't really.
Speaker 2: Come from anywhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then the last thing I have is she says, when she's you know with Tina, I said no to Harvard, and it was like, you did really say no to Harvard.
Speaker 2: You just kind of stopped your interview.
Speaker 4: They didn't actually extend an invite that you said no to.
Speaker 2: You just kind of stopped.
Speaker 3: She probably would have gotten in, though I think they set it up to where she's like yes.
Speaker 2: She's actually say no, I'm not going to take this. He didn't say he would. He like kind of says, this is like a cute little I don't know.
Speaker 4: I didn't feel like the interview was like Wow, he's so obviously going to give me this, and I felt like I kind of needed that for it to be as big of a deal as what they were making it.
Speaker 1: So, so that's interesting.
Speaker 3: So they have him sit down and be like, so, this interview is just kind of a foregone conclusion. I mean, you're right, you're in.
Speaker 2: You are a perfect match. This is a perfect place for you.
Speaker 4: And for her to be like no, actually it's not, you know that kind because again it's like she's just in the interview process.
Speaker 2: They interview, I mean, how many kids to come.
Speaker 4: To Harvard and there was no actual invite for it to have like the impact. In my opinion, this is being so nitpicky, because let me.
Speaker 2: Tell you, that is not how I really actually felt.
Speaker 4: The majority of the time, I cried multiple times with his mother daughter.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, the mother daughter.
Speaker 4: They hits so close to home for me and Rose about to have her first competition, and I'm so focused on not being like a like a dance mom and it just really being.
Speaker 2: About her having fun and you know what I mean and liked.
Speaker 4: And scene where how far it could go as a mom and not keeping that part as the priority, and how hurtful it can be to your little kid.
Speaker 2: Like Yeah, that's where I just kept going. Man, this was a little bit of a cheer jerker for me again. I need I need to cry, all yeah.
Speaker 1: Your cride all the time. Well, we'll get something happy, We'll get something happy here.
Speaker 2: But now up your comedy.
Speaker 3: We will I think.
Speaker 1: Our next one, I think our next well, we'll see. I don't know. So okay, Well, now it's time to rate our film. We're gonna do.
Speaker 2: And there's really only one choice.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, we're gonna do one to ten this time, one being the worst, ten being the best.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 3: We can either do one out of ten, Lettuce and tomato sandwiches one out of ten, ice rink salads, butt paddings, synchronized kid routines one out of ten, jumping shrimps one out of ten, Gross smart Girls, Permissions to Date my brother one out of ten cardboard skating pro actors, one at a ten burger blasts, one a ten taco explosions, or I'm going to add one out of ten giant Zamboni's.
Speaker 2: It has to be giants.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, we are doing. I believe I went first.
Speaker 3: Last time you did, you did, so your turn, your turn?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: So I loved this movie. It was such a fun watch.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 4: As we both know now, both of us are just suckers for like sports movies. I love them. I thought this one. One thing I didn't say with the Sabrina sees was that end when they're how were they having her face so in front of the camera, Although those looked like very very I mean that was done so well to the point where I went and looked out everything that Mikayla and Jensen like, was there kind of some.
Speaker 1: New AI something Yeah, yeah kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Because it was so good.
Speaker 4: I loved all the skating in it, with the exception of the recital. I thought the love story everything, and Joan and Kim, I mean, they just knocked it out of the park for me as well as those young actors held their own and really shined.
Speaker 2: And I loved watching this movie so much.
Speaker 4: It didn't have as much I mean, coming off of True Confessions, it didn't have as much poll but there were definitely some really great moments for me that personally hit me. So this week I'm going with an eight point five giants him.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that the giant or was it huge?
Speaker 2: It was giant?
Speaker 3: Hey, potato, potato, that's a good question. Let me ask you was it huge or was a giant?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll see you later.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's Tuesday had eleven o'cloxia.
Speaker 3: Oh that's good.
Speaker 1: You know, I agree with everything you said.
Speaker 3: This movie could have scored even higher for me had they had the time lapse been.
Speaker 1: Made a little more obvious.
Speaker 3: I did not know the timing, and so the idea that she becomes this good, this this fast, I get.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting.
Speaker 3: You said something that made me look at it a little differently, where you said kind of like the math is like her superpower. So it does, you know, push her forward faster than the average skater, which they even have the jumping spider. That's what I'm gonna call her say at the end where she's like another six months and this girl's gonna surpass me. So I get that they were trying to escalate how fast she was learning, and it's due to her mathematics. So I think that's kind of cool. But yes, the timing kind of screwed me up. If the timing was a little better, I could have gone as high as a nine with this movie because I really liked it too. This was a great movie. The acting was incredible, those two women. Every scene where was just the two of them together. Oh man, it was so good. Michelle Trachtenberg was perfect for this part. She literally looked like an ice princess at the end.
Speaker 4: Did And man, I feel like when I think of the other things that she was in, even Buffy the Vampire Slayer, where she was cute, she wasn't like a quirky, real quirky character.
Speaker 2: God, she looked so stunning in this movie.
Speaker 4: She was just a beautiful young girl in this movie. I mean one that I could see why so many people are such big fans of her from this movie. I mean, she's just stunning and she just did such a great job.
Speaker 3: I agree with you one hundred percent, and that's why I'm gonna match your eight point five giantly huge throbbing Zamboni's.
Speaker 1: Will, I think is not what it was?
Speaker 3: Did we not?
Speaker 1: Did I mess it up?
Speaker 2: You're gonna put throbbing in there?
Speaker 4: Like, come on, come on, we are talking about a Disney movie.
Speaker 1: God damn it, let's get that about a SIMBONI.
Speaker 3: Oh my, well, thank you everybody for joining us for this wonderful, wonderful, wonderful movie.
Speaker 1: It really was great. And our next movie, get this is going to be about sports.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it's about basketball in particular, it is two thousand and two's Double Teamed. My guess is there's gonna be a lot of inappropriate jokes with this movie. An identical twin hoop story that is based on real life and no spoilers here, but I have been told it has the worst on court scene in movie history.
Speaker 1: Again, I have not seen it.
Speaker 3: I do not know.
Speaker 1: That is the rumor.
Speaker 3: So I can't wait to see. Who knows I've heard of this movie? Though.
Speaker 1: This is kind of big in the decom lexicon. I think.
Speaker 3: Don't get us.
Speaker 2: If I'm remembering correctly, it's two blonde identical time.
Speaker 1: Yeah girls, yes, so we're.
Speaker 2: Going to be watching girls playing.
Speaker 1: Basket playing basketball.
Speaker 3: But before yeah, which is great and for more info you can follow us at the Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,