Speaker 1: Pushkin. Hello, welcome to the studio, Cluilihold.
Speaker 2: I've been welcomed to this studio so many times.
Speaker 1: We're going to be listening to an encore presentation of The Marshes.
Speaker 2: This is one of my favorite episodes.
Speaker 1: What is it about it that you think makes it a favorite?
Speaker 2: Part of it is just Steve. I think he is like such a lovable, enjoyable person to hear from, but also just like it's one where I felt genuinely emotional in the reporting at what was unfolding, and then my hope is that we translated that into the episode itself.
Speaker 1: And this is an episode that you produced. Yes, it is with your own bare hands, well in the computer brick by brick, Yeah, I mean this was years in the making.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was at the time, it was the longest production of an episode.
Speaker 1: I think this was the first episode that we did not name after an individual but a group of people because we I don't know. By the end of the story, it felt like every single person brought something unique to it and it was everybody's heavyweight in a sense.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: All right, well, great, let's give it a listen. I'm excited to it's been a while. This is the Marshes, and I should say that at the very end of the episode, we return all these years later with an update from Steve marsh. It's not going to be what you expect. Stick around and find out. Wow, you're not going to believe what you find out. You're not going to believe what he looks like today.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what he looked like originally.
Speaker 1: But first I invite you to listen to these choice words from our sponsors that as a doctor, would you write me a reference letter for medical school?
Speaker 3: Yes, I would write a reference letter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what would it say in it?
Speaker 2: It wouldn't necessarily be favorable, Jonathan.
Speaker 1: I'm sure a little bit favorable.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: Let me get you started, Okay, to whom it may concern, go ahead, you take it over.
Speaker 5: Go ahead.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: You would be a terrible doctor, the worst ever.
Speaker 3: You don't listen and you just keep going on and on. You'd be doing all the talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but a doctor has to ask questions to find out the symptoms.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but you wouldn't actually listen to the answer because you don't listen. You'd be arguing with patients, talking about yourself. If you're just thinking about something else like whoa.
Speaker 1: Alex just liked one of my tweets from Gimblet Media. I'm Jonathan Goldstein and this is heavyweight today's episode The Marshes. I first met Steve marsh at my brother in law's wedding. In conversation that night, Steve was given to making soulful observations punctuated by the word man. Steve is a big guy, shaggy haired, and comfortable in his own skin. He's a little like the dude no matter where he is or what the occasion, he gives off the impression of wearing a comfy bathrobe flung open wide to the world. It's perhaps also worth mentioning, though, while Steve wasn't invited to the wedding per se, all the guests were both happy and unsurprised to see him. Of course, Steve would be there, and his entrance fell like a lovable Saint Bernard had just wandered into the reception hall. Would you send a wedding invitation to a Saint Bernard? Of course not, but would you be darned pleased to see one show up? Absolutely? The next time Steve and I crossed paths was at another wedding. While everyone was inside drinking and eating, I found Steve outside, standing by the Hudson River, looking preoccupied. It was there, smoking from his pack of Menthols that Steve told me about his mom and a secret she'd been carrying around in shame for almost forty years. Steve said the only reason he even knew about it was because it had slipped out by accident, and now that it had, he didn't know what to do about it. So after the wedding we set aside some time to talk.
Speaker 5: How's father had gone.
Speaker 1: Man, it's great, it's really great. Before getting into it, Eve and I catch up, he's just gotten engaged, and because he's Steve, their proposal he made was an elaborate production, involving a ring baked into a cake and an entire restaurant of people cheering. His fiancee crying makes regular guys like me look real bad.
Speaker 5: I know, man, her brothers are pissed at me too. They're like, great, job, dude.
Speaker 1: With the pleasantries out of the way, we get to the unpleasantry. His mom's secret. Steve says he first learned of it in two thousand and eight, on the fourth of July.
Speaker 5: I was riding my bike and my phone was going off like NonStop, and I thought it was like a girl or a drug dealer. It was like late, you know, it was like two in the morning. So finally I pulled my bike over and I saw I was my sister. My sister had called like fifteen or sixteen times, you know.
Speaker 1: Steve's sister, Megan Marsh was up at the family sprawling trailer lot in rural Minnesota, a place they call Marshland. On summer holiday weekends, it's tradition for the entire Marsh clan to head to Marshland to drink, hang out and just be the Marshes. Seeing all the calls from Megan, Steve worried there was trouble up at Marshland.
Speaker 5: So I called and I was like, what's going on? And she was hysterical, you know, like if you knew that we had And I was like, wait.
Speaker 3: Hold on, I'm trying to get all this out, and I'm crying and hysterical.
Speaker 1: This is Steve's sister.
Speaker 5: Megan.
Speaker 1: Between violent sobs, she explained to Steve what had happened up at Marshland. Steve's parents had gone to bed, but Megan continued to hang out with a handful of people around the bonfire.
Speaker 3: There's kibly like five seven of us sitting around the fire, and we start talking about Wigi Bords.
Speaker 1: So to keep up her end of the conversation, Megan tells the group an anecdote about her mom. How o ouiji board had accurately predicted the main facts of her mom's life. It had prophesied her future husband's initials p M for Pete Marsh as well as the amount of kids or mom would have three.
Speaker 3: And my aunt is sitting, you know, all three feet away from me, and my aunt said, well, she had four kids. And initially I'm confused. You know, I've been drinking a little bit, so it's slowly coming into my brain. What's happening. I looked down at my fingers and Cony, Stephen, me Kevin, what what are you talking about? And then I look up around the fire. Everybody stopped. Everybody's silent, and they're all staring at me.
Speaker 5: So standing in this park talking to my sister on the fourth of July, she told me that my parents had another child, that we had another sibling that they gave up for adoption years before they married.
Speaker 1: The Marsh kids were full grown adults when they learned of their full sibling, a little girl one hundred percent Marsh that their mom had named Lisha. When Steve's parents, Geene and Pete, started dating, it was just a fling, and when Jeane became pregnant, they decided to put the baby up for adoption. The unusual thing, though, is that after that, Jeane and Pete ended up staying together. Seven years later they had Steve, and now they've been married for almost fifty years. But all the while, neither of Steve's parents ever spoke of their eldest child.
Speaker 5: In my family is like shockingly open, so that the fact that they sat on this secret it was wild.
Speaker 1: It's now been years since the truth came out, and the Marshes want to do something with that truth. But Steve says procrastination is a family trait, and in this case, decades of his mother's shame has turned that procrastination into total inertia. But Lisia is never far from any of their thoughts. Megan wonders what it would be like to finally have a sister, and Steve's younger brother, Kevin wonders if Lesha's redhead like him, Kevin scans every room for red hair. And then there's Steve's dad. A few days after the secret slipped out, Steve met up with him, as he does every week.
Speaker 5: My dad is a retired truck driver and kind of a tough guy, and every Monday night we shoot shotguns together in the summertime.
Speaker 1: In the car on the way to go shooting, Steve asked his dad how often he thought about Lesha.
Speaker 5: And he said every day. And we drive it's like a half hour drive on the freeway, and about halfway there, I no, shit, man, this is like a short story thing. It's almost too corny. But there was two ducks, like two adult ducks and three little baby ducks crossing the freeway and my dad dipped like deep into the shoulder of the freeway and then recover the car, and like we waited a while and he's like, did you see me miss those ducks? And I was like, yeah, yeah. And it's one of the few times I've seen my dad cry.
Speaker 1: But as much as the Marshes think about Lisha, when it comes to actually trying to find her, they're all waiting on Steve's mom.
Speaker 5: I think my dad for as much of an alpha tough guy. I think my mom runs his shit, you know. Yeah, yeah, So it's kind of up to her, and I think she is scared about what maybe she'll find out, like if Licia has hard feelings about this, or if Alicia's life didn't go as well as it could have, or how Lesha will feel to meet her family that's intact and went on to have three more kids, like wouldn't that be weird?
Speaker 1: Sure, the family's intact, and as Steve explains, the marsh kids are all close and doing well now. Megan has a career as a nurse, Steve writes, and Kevin repairs home appliances. But growing up there were a lot of drugs and a lot of trouble. Kevin had a serious meth problem, and Steve and Megan drank too much. Steve almost flunked out of high school and Kevin and Megan both dropped out. There was one Christmas the Marsha's spent visiting Kevin in treatment, and one weekend Steve spent in jail because he and Kevin got into a brawl over a beastie boy CD.
Speaker 5: Just wondering, like Leisha who was raised in a totally separate environment. I just wonder what she's like. You know, our house was so loud when growing up and h like. I always thought my family's kind of weird. Like they drink windsor seven up, like it's gonna be vanishing from the face of the earth.
Speaker 1: So what what is windsor seven up?
Speaker 5: That's the Marsh family drink?
Speaker 1: Man, I pardon my ignorance.
Speaker 5: Seven and seven man. It could be seagrams too, Canadian whiskey and lemon lime soda.
Speaker 1: But finding out whether Lesha is like a Marsh steeped in windsor and chaos isn't so simple.
Speaker 5: So the hospital no longer exists.
Speaker 1: The hospital where your mom had her.
Speaker 5: Right and it was a close Catholic adoption, like my parents never met the couple that adopted Lesha.
Speaker 1: Steve has no information about where Lisha ended up. He had a friend with connections run the name Lisha Marsh through an FBI database but found nothing. It's almost certain Lisha's name isn't even Lisha anymore. Because it was a closed adoption, the only way to reach her is through the adoption agency. Steve's mom has to write Lisha a letter asking to make contact, but whenever she's trying to write in the past, her sense of shame gets the better of her.
Speaker 5: Like she wants to do it, she said she would do it, Like what do I do? You know? Like how do we make this happen?
Speaker 1: And this is why Steve has come to me. He needs a spur to action, someone who isn't a marsh to make sure the letter gets written.
Speaker 5: We could use some help. It's almost like when you want to like go to the gym or something, just like have somebody else who's going with you, like some kind of a on ability because when we talk about it as a family, and we do whenever we get together, like my parents are all game for it, but then it just doesn't happen. And it hasn't happened.
Speaker 1: Do you need to really kind of show up with a pad of paper and a pen and place it on the table in front of her.
Speaker 5: Right, like, let's do this now.
Speaker 1: And so, in a bid to do this now, I tell Steve to phone his mom and tell her to clear her schedule because his wedding friend Jonathan is boarding a plane to Minnesota and heading straight to their house to make sure she writes that letter.
Speaker 5: I just think we need a little help, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well what you need is your mother to get off her ass.
Speaker 8: Who is this guy?
Speaker 6: Just tell me again?
Speaker 1: After the break, this guy pays a visit to the marshes Hi in Minneapolis. I picked Steve up in my airport rental and we head to his parents' house for some letter writing. He's nervous, which is not helped by my economy sized car. Do you have a you have.
Speaker 5: An up room?
Speaker 1: How tall a man are you? Steve struggles to shoehorn his body into the passenger seat. If you want to send the backseat, you could. I'm sorry, but I'm so good. Although Steve says it's all good thanks to my Minnesotan to American translator app, I know that he's in fact, deeply resentful. You're gonna have to direct me because I don't know where your parents live, but wouldn't be read if they did. We arrived at Steve's parents place. It's a one story rambler, cluttered and cozy him. We settle in around the kitchen table. Pete makes his way through his daily two pots of coffee, and Jean quietly stares down at a blank piece of paper to help spur her letter writing. I ask how she and Pete first met, and Jeane becomes animated, telling me about a party at which Pete stumbled in late with a group of friends. They were all drunk.
Speaker 9: I can't remember if he kissed me on the knee and bit me in the ankle, or vice versa.
Speaker 1: That's like what the serpent did in the biblical story.
Speaker 9: I think so, and I should have never eaten that apple.
Speaker 1: Soon after, Jeane moved into a new apartment building where, in a delightful sitcom twist, Pete was living right down the hall. That Thanksgiving, Pete stopped by Jean's place drank her entire bottle of Windsor, then drunkenly proceeded to show the dinner guests is gun.
Speaker 3: Guns are no big thing for me, because I got them laying all over the place.
Speaker 1: To illustrate, Pete reaches on top of the kitchen cupboard and pulls down a forty five automatic. He places it on the table next to the pie that Steve brought. How many guns do.
Speaker 5: You have hitting around the house. There's one over on the fireplace downstairs.
Speaker 1: The party, the bottle of windsor the gun. These are all parts of the marsh family origin story that Steve knows well. But the part of the story that Steve has never heard is house parents went from a casual fling to a decade's long marriage.
Speaker 5: Him.
Speaker 9: I'm pregnant. I went home and told my mother and she flipped out on me. I remember leaving and I woods down the basement with my mother in the laundry room. I just remember running up the stairs and crying and getting in the car and driving back to my apartment because I was trash in her mind.
Speaker 1: Jeane came from a strict Catholic family. When she got pregnant, her mother told her she could only visit home after dark, carrying a coat in front of her stomach. At one point during the pregnancy, Jean slipped on the ice and had to go to the hospital for hemorrhaging.
Speaker 9: And my mother came into the hospital and said, you can't even have a baby, right. I mean, she was so disappointed in me. I don't think she ever forgave me for that. That's the one thing I said to her before she died, is I am sorry for disappointing you.
Speaker 1: Lisia was born premature, so the doctors kept her at the hospital for a week. This meant Jean ended up spending a week with her newborn daughter.
Speaker 9: I remember holding her and crying and telling her, you know that I hoped she'd have a good life and said I'm sorry that I couldn't keep her.
Speaker 1: After that week, Jean signed away her parental rights.
Speaker 9: I didn't think I could raise a child by myself. But she never said what. He never said, hey, let's get married and raise this baby or and I never said it either, But his mother, Alice, just took me in as this. You know, I felt like I was part of the family. So I felt this family loved that I wasn't getting from my own family.
Speaker 1: You know, Pete's mom told Jean how much the whole family liked her. I hoped she would be the one, and that painful time brought Geene and Pete closer. They ended up really falling in love, and eventually they did get married, and all this time, Lesha, responsible for them growing into love together, having three more kids, being a family for going on fifty years, was out there somewhere, living a different life with a different family.
Speaker 9: And I don't know that Dad and We've never sat down like this and talked about it. It's just kind of something that happened forty eight years ago.
Speaker 1: For forty eight years, gene Is quietly marked Alisha's birthday by repeating the same silent prayer. I hope she's having a good life. And it's that hope that ironically made Jeane think twice about ever searching for Lesia. She told herself that if Flicia was happy, I didn't need to disrupt that happiness by introducing her to the Marshes. And they're chaos.
Speaker 9: Our family was so loud and so you know, drug use and you know, not going to school, and it seems like there was always so much going on. Did I really want to bring somebody else into that? It was problems that I was bringing her into more problems.
Speaker 5: It was hector.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was more than hectic. See, And I'd go do my avon door to door and somebody would say, would you like to come in for a minute, and I'd sit down, And I always said, it was like I was sitting down in their beige. You know, they had this peaceful house, neet, nothing out of place. And then I'd walk in here and it'd be like jangled.
Speaker 1: So while Steve's motivate for seeking out Lesha is pretty simple, he has a sister and he wants to meet her. For Jean, it's more complicated. Her greatest hope is that Lisha is happy and well, that she did the right thing in giving her up. But if Lisha is good, didn't fall into drugs, did do well in school, and had a good life in the Beije, then trouble wasn't something genetic, a fate that runs through the marsh blood. It was the Jene's thinking something in the parenting, her parenting.
Speaker 9: I just want I want the kids, more or less, to be prepared that she may not want anything.
Speaker 5: To do with us.
Speaker 9: I'm open to meeting her. I'm open to just pictures, open to having her tell me I'm a piece of shit. That's fine. I'm willing to do whatever she wants. It's because I feel the ball is in her court. Worst case scenario would be if sh had passed away and I never.
Speaker 1: Tried.
Speaker 5: Did you want to have pie?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 5: Should I get the ice cream? You want? Ice cream?
Speaker 1: Steve serves the mixed berry pie that he brought and turns us to the matter at hand.
Speaker 5: So do you want to try the writing the letter? Yeah, we should do it now.
Speaker 9: So yes, because your mother is a procrastinatory Oh I am too, but you probably got it from me.
Speaker 5: If Lisia's the percassionaire too, that's the only way we'll know.
Speaker 1: Jeane finds it easier to talk than to write, so Steve offers to type the letter as Jeane speaks it aloud, then she can copy it down by hand. Jean stares down at the table, trying to get started.
Speaker 5: I don't know what to say.
Speaker 9: I feel bad because we stayed together, right, and I feel like it's been forty eight years now. Why you're coming around now.
Speaker 1: Is what she'll be thinking.
Speaker 5: Oh, just say hi, how are you?
Speaker 9: I remember your name, I remember your birthday. I remember holding you and telling you that I wanted you to have a good life. Lisha. I'm stumbling for words, wondering how to, probably because it's been so many years.
Speaker 5: Wondering how to, I mean, how.
Speaker 9: To explain the fact that I haven't tried to contact you all.
Speaker 5: The I don't think we need to get that heavy. Your mom will give me a call, but also you do want to you want to acknowledge why this was meaningful to you. You know, you're like, it's tough.
Speaker 9: God, three years after you were born, your father and I were married or got back together, while we got back together right after. Oh god, see now it's all seems so stupid, but.
Speaker 5: Like you can't change the past, and you needed to live through this in order to have perspective on it. Yeah, so three years after you're born, your father and I were.
Speaker 9: Married and now have two sons and a daughter who are open to make a contact, or it does open solo.
Speaker 5: I think all of us would like to meet you if, if, when you're ready. I don't think maybe it needs to be any more than that. That's good.
Speaker 9: And then just put our names.
Speaker 1: And we all watch as Gene copies the letter over by hand.
Speaker 5: He did good. Gee, thank you.
Speaker 1: Steve and I head back to the rental for a while. We just sit there. I think that they're going to get those forms off.
Speaker 5: It's going to happen this week, for sure.
Speaker 1: Really you think so?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 1: It doesn't happen. It doesn't happen in the next month or the one after that, partly because Steve hasn't been spurring his mom since we all sat down in Jean's kitchen, Steve has developed second thoughts about contacting Lisha.
Speaker 11: I'm just nervous that she's like angry about the way things turned out, and I'm nervous, so like what kind of impact I'll have on my mom. I've had some conversations with friends. It's like, what are you doing this for? I don't know, like there's real potential for sadness.
Speaker 1: Two more months pass and I'm having trouble being a spur to Steve's spurring. Hey, Steve, it's Jonathan speaking, just calling to check in. I can't get a hold of anyone, mister and missus marsh this is the man who came over to your home some time ago. Another two months go by and still no movement, and so I decide that maybe it's better to just leave them be. Maybe the Marshes would rather just forget the whole thing and go back to being the same Marshes they always were.
Speaker 4: Hello, Gene, Yes, High Jonathan.
Speaker 1: And then, after a half a year of foot dragging, I unexpectedly get word that Gene has mailed the letter and the application. From there, a social worker was assigned to the case. Her job to find Lisha and ask if she's open to receiving Gene's letter, And not long after that, the social worker gave Jane an update.
Speaker 4: She got a call from Alesia and she said she was very open to seeing my letters.
Speaker 1: Okays on coffee, Yeah, I'll have a coffee, Mom, I brought Canola's and back at the Marshes to catch up. Once Alicia said she was open to seeing Jeane's letter, the social worker mailed it onto her, but after that Jean heard nothing for months. Then one afternoon at work, Jean got an email from the social worker, the subject, having read the letter You've been waiting for. Attached was a scanned copy of a letter from Lesia.
Speaker 9: Dear Jean and Pete, thank you for your patience while I formulate my first response to your letter. My name is Natalie and I grew up in a suburb of.
Speaker 1: Lesha is now Natalie, and it turns out she grew up just twenty miles from where the Marshes lived. Her adoptive parents are even graduates of the same high school as Jeanne. Growing up, Natalie always knew she was adopted, and she loved the parents who raised her Natalie is now married with two kids.
Speaker 9: The best advice I've received since I opened your letter was to take it slow. And then she sent a picture when she was a little girl.
Speaker 1: Do you see a resemblance.
Speaker 5: Oh, she's definitely a marsh man.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Dear Natalie. Pete and I were so happy to receive your letter and picture. It was truly an answer to my prayers. Let me know if you have any questions, I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.
Speaker 1: And so a correspondence begins.
Speaker 9: Your Gene and Pete. Dear Natalie, who did I get my auburn hair from? Hee was a redhead? Can I thank my una brow? When I was young? Grandfather had very bushy eyebrows, so he's probably the culprit now love Jean and Pete.
Speaker 1: Natalie is taking its low. She's cautious and Gene is following her lead. But sometimes you can get overwhelming.
Speaker 9: Dear Natalie, we want to wish you the happiest of birthdays on the seventeenth. I've wished it every year since you were born, and I'm so happy I can finally tell you. I hope someday we can meet, but until then, no You've been loved, Pete and Jene.
Speaker 1: Natalie's responses are gracious.
Speaker 9: Dear Jeane and Pete. My kids constantly asked me about the day they were born. We moms think about those moments always. Someday you will have to tell me about our day.
Speaker 1: But there are a lot of some days, no specific plans. Even after months of correspondence, Gene and Natalie are still going through Stacy the social worker. They don't exchange phone numbers, they don't even know each other's email addresses. It's tentative.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I've had a relationship with these three kids for forty years, you know, and I haven't had that with her. And sometimes that's sad, you know that we don't have that. But I think we'll get there.
Speaker 1: You want to get there? Yeah, I would like to get there. Gene finds herself staring at Natalie's picture while she's at work, idly thinking about what the little girl in the photos childhood was like, and then comes the guilt in not having been able to give her what she needed. And all the while Natalie is so close, why don't you call her up and say come out over?
Speaker 9: No, because she doesn't want that then we all don't live it to be a.
Speaker 5: One hundred years old the same time, that's true, you are going to run out of time pretty soon.
Speaker 1: Well, for Pete, it's pretty straight ahead. For Jane, it's more complicated. Jane wants Natalie to enter her life, but at the same time she worries about what Natalie will make of that life. How will Jeane be able to have Natalie over to her home. In Jeane's mind, the place is always so untidy, the grouting in the bathroom unfinished, the tiles in the entryway in need of repair. So while Jeane's wait for Natalie is filled with hope, it's also filled with fear. Time ticks by. Natalie and Jeane continue to exchange letters, and eventually Natalie decides they don't have to go through Stacy the social worker anymore. They can email each other directly, and a few months after that, Gene asks Natalie for her phone number. I just want to be able to hear your voice sometimes, Gene says, and Natalie says yes. Steve's wedding is a month away. It's been a full year since Natalie received that first letter, and Steve wants to invite her to the wedding, but Jeane doesn't think a big family event is the right setting for everyone to meet for the first time, so Gene asks Natalie if they can all go out for dinner. Natalie writes back and says, I think we can make that happen.
Speaker 4: Hi, how are you?
Speaker 1: Doggie? And today's the day. I arrive at Steve's house as he gets ready to meet Natalie for dinner. His fiance Maggie and his brother Kevin are there too. Nice to see you. I'm Jonah, Kevin, how are you good? Steve is ly Kevin a pair of jeans because Kevin was wearing shorts and feared they might not be appropriate for meeting your sister for the first time. Steve is still getting dressed.
Speaker 5: This is my only pair of clean pants at the moment. I don't want my new sister to smell me, you know what I mean. That'd be awful, right, So I want to appear to be clean.
Speaker 1: Since the Marshes are worried about making a good impression, they barred me and my microphone from the dinner. This in spite of my important work documenting and interloping. Instead of saying, all of you rotten folks. I tell Steve that it's all good. Hey, I'm getting pretty good at this Minnesota talk.
Speaker 5: I think we should.
Speaker 10: Leave in five or ten minutes, okay, and we should not spoke we.
Speaker 2: Earlier.
Speaker 5: I took emon Ye've got it turns out very off.
Speaker 1: Steve has made a reservation at a pizza restaurant. On the drive there, he worries, but as usual, it isn't for himself.
Speaker 5: I worry about my mom.
Speaker 1: The worry has always been twofold. Firstly, what if Natalie's life hasn't turned out well and it's all Jeane's fault for having given her up. But based on Gene and Natalie's correspondence, Natalie has a nice husband, sweet kids, and a career that keeps her busy, flying to far off places like Mexico City and Singapore. So now, with that first worry allayed, the second worry rears its head. What if Natalie is not only not in bad shape, but in great shape, all due to Jane's lack of parenting. In other words, Steve's now worried that, as far as Jean might believe, it isn't the Jeans, it's Gene.
Speaker 5: A person with the same genetic makeup as your three kids. Who did I get all these things? So? Yeah, there's I think there's some pain there, man, Like there's some pain with my mom, like that she failed us or something, or that we failed her. Oh shit, it's six eighteen. Are we gonna make it?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Hoday, isn't it supposed to be six forty five? You guys are reading thirty six thirty? Oh but your folks will be there, are they?
Speaker 5: Our family is free, disposed towards me and late all the time.
Speaker 1: A few blocks from the restaurant, Steve drops me off at the side of the road. He says, they'll let me know how it goes. Okay, by you guys have fun. Later I'll learn that Pete, Jean and Megan were uncoaracteristically on time and are there to greet Natalie and her husband. When they arrive, Gina hugs Natalie and introduces her to Megan. Natalie and Megan stare at each other. They look so similar. I wish I could wear my hair like that, Natalie says, and Megan smiles. Steve, Maggie, and Kevin arrive as the table is being prepared. While they wait, they all make nervous small talk. Pete fills the silence by talking about how old his shoes are. About fishing. The others join in, talking about goldfish they've owned, the relative merits of pac Man versus misspac Man restaurants they like. They compare their heights. Eventually, the host leads them outside to a round wooden table built around a tree. The group orders pizza and wine. They all cheers. Everyone has questions for Natalie. They don't totally understand what her j but it has something to do with selling accounting software all over the world. They get the impression that she's in charge of things. Natalie has a confidence. She sits beside Kevin, who shows her a photo of himself coming in second in a hot dog eating contest. Natalie seems impressed. During the salad course, Jeane tells the story of how when Steve first found out about Natalie, he joked, thanks for keeping me mom. It's not too late. Natalie interjects, you could still be abandoned. Everyone laughs. Natalie shares the Martia's dark sense of humor. It looks like Natalie is coming to Steve's wedding. It's the kind of night where it seems like it could rain at any minute, so Jeane grabs the check. Steve sees the look on her face as she glances it over Mom. He says quietly, so Natalie won't hear. We'll help you. The kids all go home that night and request Natalie's friendship on Facebook. Jeane and Pete drive home, with Jeanne smiling all the way.
Speaker 12: When we came home that night, Pete was opening the door and I just put my hand on his shoulder and I said, you know, Dad looked out for her all these years, and so we've been blessed, We truly have. It was joyous. All the kids are so comfortable. Everybody was asking questions. There was a lot of laughter. There was a lot of you know, joking and talking, and it was very emotional.
Speaker 6: And there's still a lot of thought process there that's gonna maybe be with me all my life. But I know that she had a good life and she's got a wonderful life now. I couldn't have asked for anything more. I really couldn't have.
Speaker 1: You felt like you wanted Natalie to have a good life, but that was complicated because you felt like it might reflect on your parenting in some way, So I'm wondering, how do you feel about that?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 7: You still have guilt, But I think I just realized that no matter what I did or didn't do, they've all grown up to be wonderful human beings and we can move on.
Speaker 1: All the things Jean had worried about, that Natalie might resent her, that the family might be too much for her, in the end didn't matter. That night at the restaurant, things were simple. They were all just happy to be together. But there's still one thing. For months, Steve's priority has been his mom's feelings, the effect all of this is having on her. All the while, though a feeling of his own was slowly taking shape. At the pizza restaurant, Steven wanted to say something to Natalie all night, but he couldn't find the words.
Speaker 10: What I really wish I would have told her is thank you man, Thank you for you you existing, like your miracle of coming to the world and the way it happened, like brought my parents back together.
Speaker 1: But then, how do you thank someone a stranger for giving your family life, for giving you life?
Speaker 5: Hey, how are you good?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 1: In my role as loyal spur, I've invited Stephen Natalie to my office so Steve can at least give it a try. It's the first time Steve and Natalie have gotten to talk one on one since this all began.
Speaker 13: I never thought I never thought someone would search for me.
Speaker 1: This is Natalie.
Speaker 5: Wow, He's never he never even considered that.
Speaker 1: Steve explains that during the search, the marsh is worried that they might not live up to Natalie's expectations.
Speaker 5: You know, you're you're such an accomplished person.
Speaker 13: Well, gosh, my LinkedIn profile is really doing its job of a pr major.
Speaker 5: I mean, honestly, like you seem like such a funny, like even keel person, you know, like like you have a wicked sense of humor. It's just it's cool. It's cool, Like you're funny. You know, you're wearing you have an iPhone watch and you're killing it. You know what I mean.
Speaker 13: That was a gift. Everything's a gift, my husband, that's all. No, but don't put me on a pedestal. I don't deserve it.
Speaker 1: Natalie's uncomfortable with her life being held up as a success story. She tries to explain that her house had its own share of chaos. Her brother faced some of the same challenges with drugs and other troubles that the Marsh kids faced. It feels like what she's trying to say is blood parenting. I don't know why things turned out the way they have, but Steve is undeterred in his effort to offer Natalie credit, and so tentatively he gets to the thing he's been trying to say for a while now.
Speaker 5: I mean, I feel like it's weird to thank somebody who didn't elect to be adopted, But like, maybe my parents would have never gotten back together if it wasn't for you. You brought them together. Like I think it was kind of a fling kind of situation and it turned into a like a forty five year marriage, you know, a fifty year Like I don't know the exact stats.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 1: Natalie can see that Steve is struggling. But she's struggling to if Steve is trying to say thanks for my life, how does she simply say you're welcome. So instead, Natalie offers thanks of her own in the way of a story about Steve's mom. In her mom, when my mom.
Speaker 13: Was around, she and I were really really close. She wanted to think, you know what you know? I wish I could think her, She kept saying, I just wish I could think her. Oh right, And when she passed away in two thousand and four, she couldn't. Yeah, So the first thing I wanted to do was do the thinking. That decision set the trajectory of my life. I'm so so lucky to be where I'm at.
Speaker 1: In the end, Steve and Natalie are both grateful for the same thing, the family that they ended up with. Everyone always asked.
Speaker 13: Well, have you ever thought of reaching out? I always had the answer, I'm like, no, I'm good. I have a great family. You know, once I open that door, I can never close it. When I received the letter, I can honestly say I didn't have this figured out, and I thought about what my path would be and if I'm on a crossroad of do I pursue this or do I let it go.
Speaker 1: As Natalie speaks, you can see a thought flashed across Steve's face. All this time, he's been trying to thank Natalie for something she didn't even decide, rather than for the thing that she did decide.
Speaker 5: When you put it like that way, when you put it like that, like you did have a choice here whether to even talk to us, you know, like like you could have been like no, you risk you open the door, like and and so yeah, I guess Natalie, I do thank you for that, man. Like the way that you've been with my mom has been super cool man, And I I thank you for that. Oh well, I like she kind of deserves like uh, I think like cool stuff in life, you know, and like you've been really cool man, that's choice.
Speaker 1: It's been two and a half years since the search for Natalie began, and in that time, Natalie's interactions with the Marshes have been based around occasions Jean's birthday, Steve's wedding. But today they're all just hanging out. Steve and his new wife, Maggie wanted to have everyone over for a backyard barbecue, even me. On our way to the yard, Steve gives me a quick tour of the house, his shelves loaded with the books. His plans is that indigenous to this area.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: Natalie shows up with her husband and two kids. Pete, the tough guy who thought about Natalie every day for almost fifty years, is there to greet them.
Speaker 5: Well, how you guys, been. Oh good, here, I gotta have a hawk absolutely oh.
Speaker 1: Shortly after, Kevin shows up with a bottle of vodka and a big bag of Frisbees.
Speaker 5: Who dotesn't play frisbee? Hey?
Speaker 1: And then Megan, who heads straight for Natalie. But there's one person who's running late.
Speaker 11: Should I call your moon and see who she is, sir?
Speaker 1: As it turns out, Jeane is still stuck at the grocery store buying some last minute stuff for the party. Classic Steve says the Marshes are unorganized, chronically late, and maybe that's true. Or maybe Jeane is pacing the aisles procrastinating, nervous about what Natalie might make of how the Marshes live with their ayahuasca plants and vodka Frisbees. But in the end, Jeane doesn't wait years, weeks, days, or hours. She's only late by fifteen minutes. Maybe Jeane wasn't procrastinating at all. Maybe she wanted to show up late to be the last one to walk into the backyard with everyone already there and see the whole family hanging out, joking and talking, everyone just happy to be together.
Speaker 14: Oh my god, Now that the fernitures rip turned.
Speaker 1: To its Goodwill Home.
Speaker 14: Now that the last months, Rand is scheming with the.
Speaker 10: Damage to pos take this moment to.
Speaker 1: Say he felt around for though from the baby's exit.
Speaker 5: And I got a message from Natalie yesterday. I got a text happy sibling Day. It was a sibling day yesterday.
Speaker 1: Are you guys in regular touch?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Like we have a family text thread named after the episode. It's called the Marshes. But uh, like, just my mom was over to babysit Monroe last night, your son, my son. Yeah, and uh my mom was just like on the phone with Natalie and there's Natalie. You know, they're talking about Natalie was talking about work, like they're It's just cool to see, man. You know, like my mom has a relationship with her. I have a relationship with her. I went to her son's basketball game and brought my son.
Speaker 1: It's really nice. So you're doing stuff like that.
Speaker 5: I wanted to knit our families together, you know, in a way. And I asked Natalie if she would be Monroe's godmother.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's so nice to hear. What would she say?
Speaker 5: Yeah, she was down. You know, she's like a late in the game kind of gift from the universe.
Speaker 1: That's really nice, Steve.
Speaker 5: It worked out, man. It turned out to have a really happy ending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're friends as a result.
Speaker 5: And then we're friends as a result. I live here now and now you guys live in our neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, we do.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Do you want a babysit Monroe on Tuesday? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Always, that'd be great. Thanks to everyone who helped put this episode together. We'll be back next week with another Encore presentation and along with it, another update from our guest. If Emily's Emily, I mean chances are yeah, if we're round,