Speaker 1: The volume. Everyone loves a good MVP story. In the story of Wasabi Technologies is one of the best. It's a purpose built company to free businesses from skyrocketing storage costs and unpredictable egress fees from old and top heavy legacy providers.
Speaker 2: You know, the big guys.
Speaker 1: Wassabi is the world's hottest cloud storage company, becoming the go to provider for professional and collegiate sports teams and leagues around the world.
Speaker 2: And here's why.
Speaker 1: From Wassabi's AI enabled intelligent media storage was Sabi Air to the industry's only cloud storage service with triple protection against cyber criminals, data deletion, and ransomware. Wassabi has taken the lead and driving innovation and data storage, eliminating overhead where it matters to deliver your results you can count on and won't break the bank. In fact, with Sabi's up to eighty percent less than those other guys and doesn't charge as cent for businesses to access their own data. Was Sabi another championship story. Check them out for free at Wassabi dot com. Was Sabi Hot.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: The Philadelphia Eagles, who have the best personnel in the NFL, the best roster since probably about the Niners three years ago. But the Eagles have a much better O line and they're much better at quarterback. I don't know how Buffalo, if they get to the Super Bowl, is going to stop this. It's going to stop this offense they they today. I mean Washington obviously helped multiple fumbles, three fumbles, but this roster is insane. I mean I went into this game thinking winner of the AFC is super Bowl champs. I mean, here's how good Philadelphia's roster is. You forget Devonte Smith is on the team.
Speaker 2: They have to.
Speaker 1: Engineer jet sweeps and little clever misdirection plays to get in the ball. Otherwise you forget he'd be a number one on a dozen teams in the NFL, number one receiver. You forget he's on the team. I mean, they have to work to get the ball to aj Brown, who's a top five wide receiver talent in the NFL. Between Goddard Barkley Hurts, it's just again, it's they have an elite player at running back, two at guard, two at tackle, two at receiver, one at tight end, one at defensive tackle. I think both their corners are really good. It is and Jalen Hurts makes just enough, just enough big throws that you got to play him. Honest, he's he's I think Jayden Daniels is better from the pocket. I think Greg Cosel's been telling us all year, but he makes he makes just you know, eighteen yard throws good in the red zone.
Speaker 2: It just this team is just insane.
Speaker 1: I mean, think about let's go back to the beginning of the season when the Giants allowed saque Arkley free agent to go to Philadelphia, and we said it at the time, it is this is as bad as GMing gets Joe Shane of the Giants. It doesn't get any worse than that. I always thought Reggie White to the Packers' greatest free agent acquisition, Drew Brees to the Saints. I mean, Brady wasn't in Tampa long. Pretty damn good, right, Peyton manning the Denver this feels like it's in the same class. I mean, to let them go to your division rival, I don't even I congrats on Joe Shane retaining his job. It's as bad as it gets, and you could see it coming from a mile away. This is Babe Ruth to the Yankees. You could see it coming from yesterday. It was like a slow heavyweight fighter's right hook. Jerry Quarry, look that one up telegraphed Philadelphia is a handful.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: There's just not much out there I've ever seen like it. There are drives throughout the course of a game, and there are halfs for the Eagles that you just don't know how anybody ever stops them. You know, Washington, you know they'll sputter initially because you know, a defense has all sorts of energy. But have you noticed what they're doing in the second half. It just they wear people out. They just wear teams out. That's why I said what the Rams did in snow for an indoor team to be, you know, have a chance to win the game late is insane. That like, keep your eye on the Rams next year, because I mean, there was a point in the second half I thought, okay, they're down fourteen points, they're still in it, and maybe without the mistakes they would be. But it is, you know, both teams we're in the top ten in the NFL and ten plus play drives, and Washington's opening eighteen play drive, I thought I would have gone for it. By the way, my take is take twenty two plays, score a touchdown, get into Philly's head. I mean, you have to take chances like the fake punt. You have to take chances against Philadelphia. You don't have the same personnel.
Speaker 2: You're on the road.
Speaker 1: The fake punt. I would have gone for it in that opening drive, just just twenty two plays in a touchdown, get into Philly's head. You're not getting into anybody's head when you settled for a field goal. But I feel like in this game, I did not feel the Eagles were under coached. Now, mid second quarter, when Barkley only had three carries, I'm like, let's go, let's not outthink the room. But I think Philadelphia is coached well enough to win a Super Bowl, and their personals insane. I mean, I'm telling you, I'm thinking of the last roster that was this good, the Seahawks, when the Seahawks had Russell Wilson on a rookie contract and they went and got Cliff Averell to rushed the passer and Percy Harvin as a gadget player. I mean, they barely played Percy Harvin because he had those migrat headaches that Seattle team had. They had just so they had a great player in every unit, safety, corner, pass rusher, weapon, elusive quarterback, start, running back. Old lines back then were better, probably the best at Pete Carroll's NFL coaching career. So I think Philadelphia I worry that Jalen Hurts will be forced to play from behind. I don't love him there, but you know what, he's good enough. He's good enough. This roster is just ridiculous. Now, good news for Washington. You're going to be back in this game several times over the next decade if Jade Daniels stays healthy. Terry McLaurin sixteen touchdowns this year. That's as much as or more than the last three years combined. So we've always said quarterback leads the receiver. You can have the world's best receivers. You can go get Larry Fitzgerald when he had better quarterbacks. You put have better numbers in Arizona. So you know, Terry mclaurin's always been good, he's a great player. Now spec tact their player quarterback drives the wide receiver. So Washington, I think is well coached. Cliff Kingsbury, in my opinion, should remain in Washington. Several years, play out your contract until there's a great job opening. There really isn't. I thought New England was about as good a job opening as you're going to have to ownership. Drake may decent defensive personnel, but if I was Cliff Kingsbury, stay put.
Speaker 2: And I remember.
Speaker 1: Before the draft, I was lucky. I had a really good source that said Washington is going to draft Jade Daniels. There was a lot of questions about Drake may going to and I, you know, I'll say this. I was told very early Kingsbury pounded the table for Jaden Daniels. He saw him, he thought, this is the offense. I'll mold this guy very quickly. And two weeks into camp I was told that Kingsbury was like, he's better than I thought, and the kids spectacular. He's so good from the pocket, so clever, so smart, and he has a quality that you could confuse it with being emotionally remote, like he doesn't. He's not somebody that is high spirits and high fiving. I think that wears well. I think his ability. He doesn't pout, he doesn't sol, that's different, but he is emotionally into the moment. You know, you don't see his emotion. He doesn't wear it. And I think that temperament is so important. Listen, Baker Mayfield has done a great redemption to her. He wears his emotion on his sleeve, and because of that, he throws a lot of picks and he's reckless. I love Sam Darnold. Sam Donald gets very emotional amped up. You don't get that with Jaden and Daniels. It's just same temperament, and that is going to pay major dividends. I didn't think he was overwhelmed. He didn't have half the team. He's got one weapon. He's got Austin Eckler, but I mean, I mean zach Ertz good players. But I mean mclaurin's a special player. So I got realms and reams and notes that I'll get to more of the Eagles with the former Eagle scout John Middlkoff later. But that fourth and twelve they went for it when Daniels got sacked in the fourth corner.
Speaker 2: That was all she wrote.
Speaker 1: Just I mean, I'm you're watching the same thing I am with Philadelphia. Sweet Jesus, is this roster insane? It will be the best roster in the Super Bowl. It will be the best roster I can think of except for the Niners. And I won't even say that. The Niners were not this stacked on the offensive line, and Hurts is a better quarterback. But in the red zone, good night, you pick your poison.
Speaker 2: Good night.
Speaker 1: I get the tush push, actually is you can at least when they run the tush push, you know the direction, the dimension where Philadelphia is going. They have the ability. They have a couple drives today and you're sitting there thinking to yourself, and I like to guess the call before the play. I mean my entire life watching football, I'm trying to kind of guess what they're doing. I can never guess Philadelphia except the tushpush. That's the only time I know what they're doing. But when I think they should go to Saquon, they don't. And then I think where's Devonte Smith and they get it to him. I mean, a gutsy call on fourth down they throw it up to sideline to aj Brann. That would have been the last thing I would have been visioned or predicted. So the play calling today I thought was really good. I'm just not a fan of the tushbush congrats to the Commanders for remarkable season and drafting. What I believe is the Patrick Mahomes of the NFC for the foreseeable future. When I look at Kansas City and I look at that front seven defensively, and I look at Brett Veach's drafting and I look at Howie Roseman's drafting, is you know, GMS, we don't pay a lot a lot of attention outside of moneyball. We don't pay attention. I mean the Dodgers just go buy the best players, right. We don't talk about Andrew Friedman, even though he's excellent. It's mostly there in baseball. We talked about how much money can Steve Cohen spend in the NBA. Once you draft a star, the GM's just trying to find rotational guys around the star. In the NFL, there is a gap in quality of general managers, and to me, not just because their teams are good. I think how he Rollsman's one. I think Brett Veech's two depending on the draft. And I don't think I love Andy Reid, but in Philadelphia he didn't have this kind of talent. I mean it took Brett a couple of years to get this receiving core right. Remember that's the hardest position to draft in the first round. It has the most misses in the last twenty years. But I think they're buttoned up now going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one thing when I got to Philadelphia I learned is O line D line comes first. And in my four years of drafts when I first got there, Brandon Graham was our first round pick. My second year, Danny Watkins, he was a flop, but he was offensive lineman, first round pick, Fletcher Cox's first round pick, Lane Johnson first round pick. You know, was not saying you can't draft other positions, but that's where you win in this league is on the fronts, and I mean that's been a separating factor for the Eagles. Think about this too. It's not like Andy doesn't love skill guys. He wants traded for Terrell Owens. He drafted to Shawn Jackson. He loved Tyreek Hill. But they had a tough decision a couple of years back when it came to Tyreek Hill, and what did they do. They traded him so they could go all in on Chris Jones. They chose one of the two guys, and they not only chose the right guy. Then they parlayed that in the McDuffie and Karlovskis. You know, I mean Bill Belichick could have drafted Karloskis, he traded out so Andy Reid could trade up and get him.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you had Karloskis to go with Chris Jones, to go with a great coordinator, to go with a fantastic secondary, and the one thing the Chiefs en listened. It starts with Kelsey and Mahomes, but they just have a lot of high level, high football IQ tough guys. It's not actually this sexy like there's not a bunch of Jerry Rice's and Ray Lewis's. I mean, it's not the sexiest like NFL films all time great sound bites. It's just kind of old school, boring, high level cats who you know, the one thing and listen, I know a lot of people in that organization were not a place where you get to sit in the training room on Wednesday and Thursday. Our guys practice. Obviously, if you're legitimately insured, you don't have to practice, but this is not like we coast through once the season. Listen, there are a lot of players You're like, yeah, here, this guy doesn't practice much during the week and has it in years that shit doesn't fly there and their star got Travis Kelsey's like the hardest practicing guy on the team. In fairness, Tyreek always was for them too, but it just got so expensive and they really value that. And I'd say it.
Speaker 2: Shows right well, and II.
Speaker 3: Belichick did too, and they had twenty years of kicking everyone's ass.
Speaker 1: Show me the warm Weather or Dome team dynasty. If you look at Pro football New England, cold, private, covert, intense physical, Philadelphia, intense, emotional, physical, Kansas City, you start looking, go find me the great dynasties in warm Weather. Years ago, I talked to a guy about this. He said, be careful when you live in a port city like a Miami or a New Orleans. The players you draft you get real silly, really finesse really quick. Guys want to go out, the girls are pretty, their restaurants everywhere, the outdoor scene.
Speaker 2: You go to.
Speaker 1: The NFL, the one sport in our country that is physicality based as football. It is not a coincidence that. I mean, listen, I'm saying this with respect to Buffalo and Baltimore. They're ass kicking towns like people work hard, they shovel their snow for the players. If football is a physical game, I mean last two national champions, Ohio State and Michigan pushed people all over the field for years. The SEC BAM and George's offenses were hit and miss. Their defenses were intimidating and violent, and there is something to be said about the physical nature. I mean that we have now a Kansas City and a New England dynasty. Two New England dynasties and the Kansas City Dynasty in the last twenty four years, and both are known as intense. Coaches practice hard play, hurt front office, and coaches control the environment. This isn't a little itty bitty teeny tiny bullets the Super Bowl. Get it on the action a DraftKings sports Book, an official sports betting partner of Super Bowl fifty nine. Scoring touchdowns is the key to hoisting the Vince Lombardi Trophy, and you have a shot to score big by betting on them at DraftKings Sports Book, the number one place to bet touchdowns. New DraftKings customers can bet just five bucks. That's it, five bucks to get two hundred in bonus bets instantly. Just download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app takes ninety seconds max. Please use the code colum co l i N. Use that code coli in for new customers. You're going to get two hundred bucks in bonus bets and you'll get it instantly.
Speaker 2: All you have to do is bet five bucks. That's it. Only on Draft King Sportsbook. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 4: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and Y, or text ope and Y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven, or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Caseno when resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction, BOYD and Ontario New customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. Four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKANNG dot co, slash audio.
Speaker 1: All right, let's pivot to the Eagles fifty five The Commander's twenty three. So I mean listen, I think I bet the Eagle. This was my favorite bet the last two weeks have been the Eagles. I like the Eagles, I like the over.
Speaker 2: So I hit on that.
Speaker 1: And my take is, I think we just have to be Washington today was a better story than a team is that they were missing their best D linemen, their best O lineman. Jaden Daniels is a remarkable player. Terry McLaurin, I mean, this kid, now what finally has help? But I couldn't help but watch that game and is the game war on? It felt like you were watching a major league team and a great Triple A team like Washington just didn't.
Speaker 2: Have the players.
Speaker 1: And you know, I think, you know, it would be one thing to say, hey, Washington had a great effort, but I thought they I mean, they had their fumbles, they had multiple turnovers. They reminded me a little of the Houston Texans. They just aren't quite there yet. They need another draft, they have a lot of cap space, they need about four free agents, three to four starters in the draft, and then that game's going to look different. But I just felt you were I just felt physically Philly is so big. I mean, aj Brown is a tight end on Washington. They're so big, they're so physical, and Washington has two great players McLaurin and Jade Daniels, several good players, and two of their good players were out the old linement and paying the d linement.
Speaker 3: Well, I heard a stat that the turnover discrepancy of teams that had won in the playoffs and teams they lost in the playoffs coming into this weekend was twenty one to three. So if you told me to start the game that Washington was gonna have a bunch of turnovers and fumbles and the Eagles were not, I would say they have no chance because it's pretty evident how good Jayden Daniels is Like in texting people to Philly, they think he's like a thirty year old all pro. That's what they were preparing for. Those were the words coming out of Fangio. That's how they approached the game plan week But when I looked at the matchup, there might be under two players for Washington that start for Philadelphia. Two players Terry McLaurin and I'm not counting Jaden Daniels. So you just the talent discreptancy, Like the Bills, Chiefs got more players that would start for the Bills, but the Bills still have a lot of high level guys, So it might be forty five, fifty five or forty sixty. We're talking like ninety five to five that in that game. And as that game went and they started fumbling, it's just like, you, you can't do this on the road. So like, honestly, I think they're two years away from being even remotely close to a team like Philly, And honestly, like when the Lions are healthy and some of these other teams, I mean, they have such a head start. This was just to make the playoffs and be a one and done would have been the most incredible story we've ever seen. I think it's crazy. And the game really got away from Washington toward the end of the third early in the fourth quarter. I think Jayden Daniels a remarkable player. I think he's one of the best players I've ever seen, given the circumstances of the team he's playing within his age.
Speaker 1: Remember remember when Andrew Luck got the Colts to the AFC Championship, I think against New England and they got the shit kicked out of him, and you were like, this is That's what I felt like. I like, oh my god, this quarter Now, I think it was in Luck's third fourth.
Speaker 3: It was third because he because he went to the playoffs his first three years and he got farther each year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and it was so I felt the same way. I'm like, boy, this young quarterback is really good, but this roster has no business being in the AFC Championship. Washington. Washington's roster is not as good. It's not as good as Green Bays. It's not as good as the Rain, It's not as good overall as the Seahawks, the Lions, so Minnesota. So it's a great story. You know, I wrote down a lot of different things during this game, and you know, it's weird. When it comes to Philadelphia. Saquon Barkley, I feel like he's faster than Walter Peyton and maybe not as strong as Peyton. He's definitely not as clever or shifty as Barry Sanders, but he's clever and shifty. But he really is. He really is an ald timer. I mean, first of all, you get high end speed, you get it quickly. Because of his size. You know, he's got that sort of a shorter size, so he's hard to see behind the Eagles O line, so he kind of bursts out of the cloud or the fog. He can run you over, he can make you miss. I always think whenever you see a great player, I remember this. I remember this.
Speaker 2: In golf.
Speaker 1: You can see a guy like Brooks Kopka, you're like, yeah, he's just bigger and stronger than people, or Tiger in his prime. But a lot of times you'll watch a pro athlete like Larry Fitzgerald and you're like, yeah, he's fast, but he's he's not that fast. I mean he's big, but he's not is he that big? And then you're just like, Larry Fitzgerald is always open and hung onto everything. And you just watch certain athletes you're like, man, they make it look So it has to be a combination of like intelligence, instinct, workout, work ethic. It's a combination. Sequon's one of those guys where when you watch him, it just it looks easy, like he just makes great players look so bad with one step. That and that to me has always been the difference between very good and great to like, oh that's all time stuff? Is that Like Reggie White would just bat good offensive lineman out of the way, like literally, with this off arm, he would bat them away and you're like.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's just different than everybody else.
Speaker 1: Saquon to me is a top five to six running back I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think a lot of positions if you're drafted like he was, and it's polarizing when you take a running back number two overall because so much out of your control. His old line sucked. They had never had a passing game. So if you have no passing game and you have no offensive line, you could be Barry Sanders with Walter Bayton. It's going to be a struggle. I grew up on Barry Sanders. They had Herman More, they had an explosive passing game. Obviously, he was a special player. But I wrote down three guys because I think there's a chance, if he stays healthy, he could have this second kind of lease on life in the NFL and become like a Hall of Fame guy. Now. Curtis Martin, Jerome Bettis, and Marshall Falk were all guys that like after their third or fourth year, Curtis Martin went to the Jets, Bettis went to the Steelers and Marshall Falk went to the Rams. Curtis Martin was really good on the Patriots, and Marshall Falk was really good on the Ramps right, and Jerome Bettis was solid. Now I don't put Jerome Bettis quite on those two guys level, but like Saquon, I would say most people described his careers like, eh, it was kind of underwhelming. It just wasn't going well. It wasn't his fault because you're watching him on this team. How about the way that game opened. They went like twenty five plays washing it on that first drive, they got like seventeen fourth downs, and they ended up kicking a field goal. And I saw Jeff Schwartz tweet this out. He's like, God, it reminds me a lot of Notre Dame. If that's what you have to do to start a game and only get three points, it's gonna be a long game. The Eagles go one play, he does like three to sixty, bounces off another guy cuts it back for sixty five seventy yards. You're like, uh, this does not feel It was insane that at one point in time this game was fourteen to twelve.
Speaker 2: Because after that.
Speaker 3: Drive and then another early drive. You're like, this thing could get out of hand, and Washington, and this where Dan deserves credit, Jaden deserves credit, kept it kind of. I mean twenty seven to fifteen at halftime. Yeah, it probably should have been like forty to seven at halftime, but Washington fought and then the wheels came off. But when you have and this is where, when Jalen's healthy and they have a running threat with the quarterback and the running back, what are you really gonna do? I mean, Colin, they ran for seven touchdowns today, ran for seven touchdowns and the two of them combined. I mean what Saquon add he had two and Jalen had three.
Speaker 2: I mean, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: The Eagles will never lose a game if they're getting that type of production in the running game.
Speaker 2: Ever, I want to talk about this. This was.
Speaker 1: It's pretty remarkable, So let's talk about Let's give this ten minutes, so it has to be the most embarrassing moment. The Eagles have now been to eight NFC championships and four Super Bowls since the Cowboys have been to one conference championship. So Philadelphia is separated as franchise but the Cowboys announced Brian Schottenneimer as the head coach on a Friday night news dump, late, late, late Friday night.
Speaker 2: Now it makes me believe.
Speaker 1: That either Jerry Jones was caught completely flat footed by Mike McCarthy choosing to leave, or it's some sort of plan to get the number one pick next year, because Schottenheimer is a nice guy, but he is a bounce around the league, never really like getting opportunities at the highest level. Jag Seattle can't really maintain jobs. I said this the other day. Their lack of urgency on Dak's contract crushed them, and their lack of urgency on hiring a coach. It's hard to explain. I don't know how to explain it.
Speaker 3: I think it's pretty clear. You know Jerry Well, the news dumps very telling, right. Jerry runs his franchise for the last definitely the last fifteen twenty years like a television show. He literally was just on one of the more popular ones in the country. You can't tell me. I mean, if Jerry liked the hire, he would have put this thing out in the middle of the night on Sunday or first thing Monday morning, so everyone talked about him all week Friday night ten o'clock, not Friday night ten o'clock Eastern. I mean this was late after the country might have been asleep. I think he thought, Listen, they knew coming into the season that Mike McCarthy was on his contract was ending, so we all knew that. We assumed Mike McCarthy was fired. And then Black Monday came and Mike was not fired. We're like, well, clearly, and people have been talking, maybe they're just gonna keep him. Jerry thought he could just give him some fake two year contract, like Mike, where the hell are you gonna go? And pretty clear Mike might have misplaced his hand a little too, because I think he thought he could get the Bears job. Yeah, but I think Mike realized kind of maybe halfway or toward the end of that week, as he wanted Jason Witten on his staff, Jerry was just gonna kind of bend him over, like, hey, Jerry, I've made a lot of money in the last few fifteen years, Buddy, I don't need you, and I'm not just gonna acquiesce to everything you want and basically told him to kick rocks. And I think Jerry thought the whole time he could essentially give him like a two year contract. You know, think about this, Jerry just hired Brian Schottenheimer. Jerry's kind of cheap, Like, that's one thing that's pretty telling. Jerry's not these Ben Johnson, Mike Vrabel making twelve, thirteen, fourteen. Mike McCarthy was making seven million dollars right now. Granted he was hired five years ago, but he was on a seven year, million dollars. That's one of the lower paid coaches in the league. Would you guess Brian Schottenheimer is making more than seven million dollars. There's a decent chance that Brian Schottenheimer's the lowest paid coach in the NFL. I think we know what Ben Johnson makes. We know Pete Carroll ain't making seven We know Bileam Cohen just got twelve or thirteen million dollars. So Jerry's a little cheap. He misplayed his hand. And you'd been saying this, and I've always defended Jerry a little bit. He is really in his Al Davis phase now, like they are. That was sometimes you fire a coach whatever it's time, but go through that week and then eventually break up with Mike McCarthy and end up a week later with Brian Schottenheimer. And once upon a time, Brian Schottenheim remember when he was Rex Ryan's OC and they were with Mark Sanchez. He was like thirty seven, thirty eight years old, he was viewed as a head coach. That was fifteen years ago. Was the last time Brian Schottenheimer had a head coaching interview? Has he had one in a decade? Now? That's not the end all be all, But why would you fire Mike McCarthy, who has accomplished stuff and then hire his offensive coordinator who's not some valued candidate, doesn't It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: He didn't even call plays. Yeah, McCarthy, you know, it's not It's not below Jerry to actually make calls dissuading people from hiring Mike McCarthy because Mike McCarthy suddenly was a hot candidate. Now he's not even getting interviewed, and he's clearly the best candidate on the market.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Saints, what are the Saints going to do?
Speaker 1: He'd obviously the best candidate is I think, you know, and I've said this, if Lebron didn't go to the Lakers. The Lakers are the Cowboys. They're just circling. I mean, lebron Is literally saved the franchise. They were Kobe's last five years. I think they're the worst win lost percentage in the league. It could be wrong, but it was. It was really bad. So it's just, you know, it's just one of those things where it's not a coincidence when people like Andy Reid are successful all the time. It's not a coincidence when certain gms have good draft.
Speaker 2: Classes over and over and over.
Speaker 1: And I think that Dallas Cowboys the last couple of draft classes have been a weak. I mean they've missed on their their first I mean they hit on Ceedee Lamb and Micah, but their last two first round picks have been weak. They got worked by Dak Prescott again. They're just they have really fallen to me, John and I don't take any pleasure in saying this. They've become a little like Cleveland. They're a little like the Jets. They're not as chaotic, but they're they're really a second tier franchise. Like they're they're not even and there, they are not remotely close to a top five NFC roster.
Speaker 2: Forget AFC, they're not there.
Speaker 1: They could they could be the eighth, the ninth best roster in the NFC.
Speaker 3: Now, well, think about this. You just hit on. They haven't been to the conference championship game since what ninety six? The Eagles just since that foal So Foles and then the last two Jalen have not only been to three, they won them. I mean the last two they played Minnesota with Foles, they blew them out. Jalen against the Niners they knocked out Purty, blew them out. And tonight they scored fifty five points. So they've been to three super Bowls in the last what eight years? Seven years? So you are in a different stratosphere than them. And then Washington sells the team. They get a real coach, a superstar quarterback, and a real GM and they're gonna start lapping you. If I'm a Cowboy fan, Thank god the Giants have their own issues or we would. It's that night for a guy that knows just I mean, one thing he's great about is getting people to talk about his team. I mean, it's why he talks twice a week. No other owner says a peep column. None of them talk at all. It's not like they don't have Biggie. They realize, what's the point, Why am I going to say a word? Most gms? Do you notice how many gms come on your television show throughout the year sparingly here and there, But they let the coach and the players talk during the season, right, it's not their time. Jerry talks twice a week, sometimes three times. And I don't blame anyone from talking to him because he gives you incredible quotes. But that's not a healthy way to operate. It's just not And I thought that it was overblown a little bit when remember when the story came out, Dak said, they have fans walking around the facility. But once you start losing, you start going. Well, where Jerry's priorities right now? It's like, does he just want to save some money here with Brian Schottenheim or did he get into a situation that he never thought he'd be in and then didn't know who to talk to. Of course, Dion wasn't that interested. He's Dean, doesn't answer to anyone in Colorado. Jerry tell him everything to do. That is the other you go work for the Cowboys, like you listen Woody Johnson. These days bug you with dumb ideas. Jerry's literally telling you, like who to play when to play him, you know, like football, like he thinks he's Al Davis lost his mind. But at one point in time, Al Davis really new football, Like does Jerry really know? Like is Jerry watching tape?
Speaker 2: No chance.
Speaker 3: I don't even blame him. But I also wouldn't be an owner if I'm not watching tape telling you what to do?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: You know, I don't get to watch other shows except yours, Nick, because a lot of times I'm on the air. I pulled into the parking lot when Dan Patrick goes on, so I never get to hear Dan, who does a great job.
Speaker 2: I don't get a watch like Steven Air on.
Speaker 1: Her shows because either I'm prepping for my show, doing for my show, or driving home.
Speaker 2: It's interesting.
Speaker 1: I when I worked at the other place, I was there for the New England Dynasty, a big chunk of it in the eleven years, and it was great.
Speaker 2: I was I. You know, my friends were all either New York Giant fans or.
Speaker 1: Patriot fans, and I never thought the Patriots were the most talented team, although I did think the Randy Moss years were damn good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: I thought I heard a lot of this stuff about officiating, and I was always like, oh shit, I did think the Bills got a first down, but there were thirteen minutes left, and I don't care.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of a.
Speaker 1: Believer, and I've said this, I think to you and others when people used to complain about Jordan getting all the calls of the Warriors, I would always say this, how many turnovers did you have and how many free throws did you miss? If the answer combined is twenty, I don't care about that.
Speaker 2: Go either way.
Speaker 1: Called in the fourth quarter right like, you had eleven turnovers and missed nine free throws, I'm not going to listen to you. I thought Buffalo was incredibly lucky. They fumbled four times and recovered all of them. I've never heard of that in a playoff game, well in my life.
Speaker 2: No, Colin. They there were five fumbles in the game because Mahomes fumbled and Buffalo recovered all five. Now, as far as back as the record books go, first playoff team ever to do that and lose, Like, it's very hard to go five for five fumble recoveries and not win the game. They got very fortunate on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my take on the entire game was very much like Matt Hasselback. Matt Hasselback and I and Drew Brees and I agreed that Sean McDermot acknowledged after the game. Yeah, on the fourth and one stuff, you know, we just kind of let Josh, you know, and we just kind of figure, Josh, we're gonna kind of let him do it. And I'm like, Annie Reid has never once said, you know, I'm just gonna let Mahomes kind of do it. And I've been on this now since you've known me at f S one for eight years. I think offense coaches are better with star quarterbacks than defensive coaches. And one of the things I've said about Brady is where Brady really deserves credit. He won with Arians, he won with Belichick, Charlie Weiss, he won with like six different people because remember Bill didn't really run the offense. It was whoever the coordinator was. Is that I do think, and this is not a shot at Mahomes all of us in life, some kids grow up with really doting, rich parents and supportive parents and some kids grow up in chaos. Is Mahomes would be successful regardless, But do you think it's crazy to consider that if Mahomes and Alan's switch coaches, that Alan would have more super Bowls today than Mahomes.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I do think that's crazy. I don't think you'd have more super Bowls than Mahomes. And I think that Listen. I think Patrick is going to go down as a Mount Rushmore athlete, not football player athlete, and I think that he is has a special innate ability that right now, no other quarterback in like the people have been beaten over the head with the Mahomes stats, but some of them are just like impossible to believe. So he already now has more the more playoff victories. Yeah, when his defense allows twenty nine points than any quarterback in NFL history, So he has four, He has won four playoff games. Was even's allowed twenty nine points? That's Tom did it. I think Peyton did it I think three times, and Tom did it once orrive vice versa. But no one's done that that. Patrick has played twenty and then I'm gonna get to the Josh Allen piece of this. Patrick has played twenty playoff games. Okay, eleven of them were what I would call easy wins. They were leading in the fourth quarter, led the whole way. The nine games Colin that he was not that he trailed in the fourth quarter, six of them he won. One of them he forced overtime against New England, never touched the ball, another one he forced overtime against Cincinnati, did not come through and lost. And the other one they were down thirty one to nine against the Bucks entering the fourth. So again, and put a little finer point on that. In his playoff career in the fourth quarter trailing by one score, he has had fourteen possessions. They have tied or taken the lead thirteen times and so and the one time he didn't, he then got the ball back and did it.
Speaker 1: So do you believe, though, that Andy Reid is a is a oh prominent part that.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent, absolutely, But I also believe the knock on Andy, before Patrick came into his life, was brilliant play designer. But in these exact moments I'm describing, gets tight and messes up the clock or situationally isn't buttoned up. That's how you lose a twenty eight point lead to the Colts with Alex Smith. That's how you lose an eight and in the playoffs an eighteen point lead to Marcus Mariota. You know, Andy was the chiefs coach when those things happened. So I think it's the perfect marriage. I think Andy is the perfect preparer of offense and plays and all of it, and Patrick is the steadiest hand in the world. And so to me, it's like the most brilliant medical school professor pairing up with the most naturally gifted surgeon ever, Like he is gonna give you all of the tools and then you're gonna have, you know, be the one with the steady hand, going to do it. So that parted, and I think Josh is excellent. I also think that Josh had the ball of three and a half minutes left down three and got seventeen yards and zero points. And that's a year after getting the ball back with six minutes left down three and got forty yards and zero points. Like that's not Patrick, that's not Andy. That's in those moments the fourth and five play, Josh was excellent first down, second down, he was not, which set up the third and ten, which set up the fourth and five. Here is the thing I want to say about the sneaks, Colin, and this is where I'm surprised. More teams don't, more contending teams don't take a page out of the Chiefs notebook. Why at some point during the year didn't the Bills say internally, Okay, guys, I think we pretty much well know how to run this snake. Can we work on a couple other short yardage things? So thank you? A. Teams have to prepare for other things. And b even though we've been basically undefeated on it, if somebody has a wrinkle that can stop it, we have a pivot point. Instead, they just ran the same thing all year because it was so successful, and that's that should be the lesson of the Chiefs. The Chiefs early in the year, people like, oh, Kelsey's washed, and it's like, okay, he's obviously slowing down. But is it is it that he's washed, or is it that they are saying, hey it it hasn't happened in years. But what if someone in a playoff game takes him away. Let's make sure Xavier Worth he's ready, Let's make sure everybody else is ready, and then in the AFC Championship game, he has his worst game in five years in the playoffs, and other guys step up. If you're contending for a championship, sometimes preparing to win the title is not the same as making sure every single possession of my Week seven game against the Jets is the highest EPA. And that's where the Chiefs have been brilliant, and that's where the Bills, I think, have not been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think fans understand this if you watched. I mean, I'm not going to give away where I heard this, but it comes from a good source. Belichick can't even speak offensive football like defensive coaches. They don't really understand offensive football. That's not what they do. And one of the things I've always pointed to, and I think I'm the only guy talking about this regularly pat myself in the back. Have you noticed how offensive coaches can rearrange the deck chairs with an offensive line within an off season and fix it. And he's done it twice ing the season, movement based and left multiple times.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 1: They were terrible the first five weeks. By the end of the year, Stafford never got touched. Defensive coaches can't do that. Tomlin's on seven straight years of battle lines. I mean, Jeff Schwartz showed during the playoff loss, the Steelers offensive line mayhem, they didn't know where they were going. I mean they were literally often pulling to the wrong place. Offensive coaches speak the language of offense, and the league has pivoted to reward them. It's almost like if Trump. You know, when Trump goes out and says, hey, I am pro you know bitcoin, cryptocurrency, I am pro cryptocurrency. Well, you know that benefits people in the industry, Like the NFL's basically said over the last ten years, we're gonna go offense. We're gonna literally change the game. And so there's a big chunk of these defensive coaches.
Speaker 2: They don't speak it.
Speaker 1: They don't speak it, they don't understand the language and what you're asking, which is why wouldn't they create a second play? Well that's not that's not their natural instinct, that's not who they are. Andy Reid in the off season will send me plays he's working on that he found on YouTube from Rose Bowls in the forties, Like hey, hey, I'm I'm not gonna tell you what I'm gonna use this, don't share this and look at this play. That's not what defensive coaches do. And I think advantage the great. So what do you think they should do? Because the thing is because because the.
Speaker 2: I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and I also it's like, but there isn't a the proven excellent offensive coach available. B Belichick took the Carolina job, so it's not like, hey, let's just get better situationally, and you know, even in short term, he's beaten Andy, he's beaten Patrick. And I understand the folks who are like, man, if it's been this long, you haven't broking through against this team. Even if McDermott's an excellent coach, sometimes what happens to Mark Jackson to elevate to Steve Kerr as Brew talks about, needs to happen. I get all that, But can you take the risk of this part of Josh Allen's prime of we're handing the reins over to a first time unknown head coach because he's an offensive guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I think Listen. I think so was Sean McVay, and so is Matt Lafleur. Right, I think he was all the guys who failed, Like you know what I mean, go ahead, No, Sean McDermott. I think my comp has always been Chuck Knox. I'm saying this is my age. But Chuck Knox was known as an organizer, highly competent, B plus coach, Seahawks bills. If you were a shit show, he got you on the right path. But he was called ground Chuck because the playoffs would come, and like Marty Schottenheimer, he got hyper conservative. And I just think that's your fate in life. Is that sometimes Nick, You know, let's just take our business for instance. Is that some people in my age don't do social media. I think it's a huge disadvantage. I do a ton of social media. I've got a TikTok clip on Brawnie today. It'll get three million people. I feed into it.
Speaker 2: I'm into it. I love it.
Speaker 1: Not everybody's sixty plus with gray hair is into all these social media platforms. The world we're in has changed. TV doesn't drive all the business. I'm comfortable with it. There are other things in other industries people aren't comfortable with. The NFL's culture has changed. It's all offense, and so a lot of these defensive coaches. They're beholden to hiring the right OC and the minute you know Josh McDaniels and Brady leaves bella check screwed. There's nothing he can do. He didn't know what he's doing.
Speaker 2: Let's both think.
Speaker 1: Of something where we were the most wrong we've been all football season. So I'll give you what it is and why it is, and I'll let you think. So you know, this is how I think, I love, I think it matters. I want my quarterback to have a little artist but mostly be an accountant.
Speaker 2: I want you to go.
Speaker 1: I want you to be have kind of Matt Ryan, Jalen Hurt's personality justin Herbert stand up there, talk about the team, put out fires, be in line. Brady's as good as anybody for as big as star as Mahomes is. He really always just says nice things. He's really he's figured out.
Speaker 2: My buddy, my former intern started interrupts in Kansas City, and who I'm sure hates that I always call my former intern because he's now the afternoon drive host on six ' ten in Kansas City and has been for a long time. He has a weekly interview with Patrick Mahomes and has had it for years, and God bless Carrington Harrison, who does a great job. That poor guy never ever gets any news out of it because Patrick says nothing. Like He's had a weekly exclusive interview with Patrick Mahomes for five years, and if you ever played one clip of it on your show, the answer is probably not, because Patrick is just so im to say nothing, just say absolutely nothing, but go ahead. So and that's how I like my quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: I've said this Johnny Manziel, Baker Mayfield, Jamis Winston, Cam Newton. If I see ego, if I see self importance, if I see Jay Cutler grumpiness, I just do not like it. And I think I've overwhelmingly been right. So I watched Nick Suriani's opening press conference. It's the worst I've ever seen. He's terrible at the podium, he wore a jersey at the last time after last win. He's yelled at fans, he's gone after players, and he's had position coaches hold him back. His methodology stinks, and yet they love him. And I'm like, this is ridiculous. This is the exact opposite of what I want my coach to be. And so I've come to try to figure it out, and I went and watched In Chicago, I went and watched the comedian Sebastian Menacawsko, a very very funny guy, great performer. He minds me a lot of Chris Rock. He's like all Lee in his prime. I mean, he's got the look, the physical He's really a performer, very funny, and a lot of his act is is Italian family and how dysfunctional and how they yell at each other and the love is so deep and embedded in the family. And I've learned this. Cultures are different. There are couples that argue and that yell at each other, and I'm like, oh, this isn't gonna work. And they've been married thirty seven years, and I imagine the makeup sex is great, Like they just get along.
Speaker 2: It just works.
Speaker 1: And I've come to terms with Siriani is that in a highly emotional city with a highly intense GM and fan base and radio media that's just barking and make he just fits. He is the family member. He can handle the bs, he can handle the noise. He's sometimes he's half fan. I just thought this is not He's very dependent on coordinators.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. Man, everything you're saying is fair, I still can't get there with him. Like everything you're saying true, here's what's also true. Had they blocked Jalen Carter they being the Rams on that third down in round two. I think it's possible he was fired ten days ago if after that up thirteen against the Rams with Jalen Hurts injured, and then up six when he called that bootleg roll play action roll out on second and seven that resulted in a dozen yard sack and all of a sudden, Stafford's driving down the field down six, chance to steal the game. I think they might have gotten rid of him now. Instead, he's a game away from having the greatest start to a career any coach. Ever, I don't know what to make of it. I because everything, every instinct I.
Speaker 1: Have says, well, this guy's just a dofis the same.
Speaker 2: But you have, like, if any position should be judged based on their record, it should be head coach. And his record is historically good. So I don't it really tests a lot of my beliefs of what should and what does work in the NFL. And so yeah, this one, I mean, this offseason, they totally you know what's the word that's always used in political Twitter. Definishtrated him, I think is the word. They didn't even let him pick his own coordinators, you know what I mean. Early in the year, he's freaking out, yelling at his fans after Quinn. Even after the NFC championship game, Jalen hurts, it's like, yeah, coach, finally let me out of my straight jacket. Like that's a weird thing the whole. So, I don't know, but they haven't lost a game that Jalen started and finished in four months, and they're playing in the super second Super Bowl in two years or in three years. So yeah, that one baffles me. That's my worst. I was basically perfect on my AFC preseason takes.
Speaker 1: Saying I will not predicting. It's become a very easy conference in the standings to predict.
Speaker 2: And so I got and I could not have been more wrong about the NFC. So I obviously famously had the Bears not only making the playoffs or winning the conference, but I also had the Eagles missing the playoffs. I did it. I had Washington finishing ahead of the Eagles, and my rationale was, man, something really weird happened last year to that team, and I don't trust this coach to pull them out of it. And I also thought Saquon Barkley would be good but not great for them, But instead Saquon had one of the greatest years any running backs had in the history of football. Can I ask you a question, sure, yeah, go ahead, after this year, take this year out of it. This group of quarterbacks, the Mahomes, Alan Burrow, Lamar, that group, they're all twenty eight to twenty nine. Let's say optimistically they all have ten more good years. That's probably on the high end, but let's give them a decade, ten more seasons. The twenty twenty five season onward Man, at least one of those guys is never making much less winning a Super Bowl. Like moving forward, so I know Joe's already made what because here's the way I was thinking about it. I'm like, okay, because everyone's like, do you think Josh will eventually get one? And intellectually I'm like, yes, of course, he's the second best player in the league. Of course he'll get one. But then I'm like, well, wait a minute, Okay, So in the next ten years, let's say Patrick slows down, he only makes four of the Andy Reid retires. Yeah, so let's just say Pat. Let's say Patrick only makes four of the next ten, so there's six. So that's six for Lamar, Josh, Joe. I know, you've got Justin Herbert getting the one eventually, Bo Nicks, CJ. Stroud and we're talking about ten years. So it's also a couple more generations coming into the league like these guys, All of these guys being in the AFC is devastating for the resumes they're trying to build well.
Speaker 1: And the one that's in trouble is Joe Burrow. The Bengals had to sell naming rights to the stadium to pay his contract. People don't understand this. The gentleman who first of all, the Bengals don't have any money. They don't have any money. It's just like the poorest ownership group. Joe Burrow knows it. They had to sell naming rights to a stadium to pay him. They started peeling off players even before they paid Jamar Chase. They're peeling off.
Speaker 2: Of them now.
Speaker 1: Safety Yeah, and they're already peeling off players. They are the opposite of the Eagles. They are anti risk and reward. They take no risks. Tobin, the general manager, has been there forever pleasant, very nice guy, got no power. I mean, the Brown family runs the organization. They are essentially a Triple A operation in Major League Baseball that happens to have Joe Burrow. People make fun of the Raiders. The Raiders because of some new ownership groups that have come in are flushed with cash. That's why they can pay four coaches and three general managers. They got nothing but money. They got Mark Davis has nothing but money, and the Raiders are a brand. And also it's Las Vegas. It's a growing city. There's real money there, no state tax, very attractive place. Cincinnati, they got no money. Burrow, They'll never have a stacked roster. The only time to really be great with him was when he was on the rookie contract. When they pay Jamar Chase, they're on a money.
Speaker 2: Like Joe Burrow.
Speaker 1: I feel terrible for him. Joe Burrow would need to be superhuman. I mean, this year he was as good as he's ever been. They couldn't make the playoffs. Herbert's gonna get better with Harbaugh, Like that's gonna only get better, right, That's what I'm saying, Like, you're just Herbert. I think Burrow is the one in trouble.
Speaker 2: And here's the other. Here's the other concern for all those guys. Will they may be different for Joe because he's done it, But will those guys be able to play Patrick Mahomes beat him, which is part of the hypothetical, and then psychologically be able to recenter and be like, that wasn't the super Bowl? Not like we we like that's the thing that I would worry about for the Bills. Not I do think Listen, Mahomes is not going to go undefeated against Allen in his career. In the playoffs, they will win. But man, if next year the Bills finally beat the Chiefs in the playoffs, it's gonna be really hard to psychologically then reset and be like, actually, the next game's the tougher, bigger one. And so that's we have Never I can't remember a time when it felt this disproportionate in quarterbacking talent conference to conference, and what it's gonna mean for these guys kind of legacies when it comes to who they were as far as winning players or winning championships.
Speaker 1: The volume