Speaker 1: Pushkin, the first airline ever, the first airline in the history of the world, started in nineteen fourteen. It flew passengers just a short hop across the Bay from Saint Petersburg to Tampa, and its maximum speed was about sixty miles an hour. By the nineteen sixties, just fifty years later, passenger jets were flying ten times as fast as that, and that increase in speed transformed the meaning of travel. But then after the sixties, air travel just stopped getting faster. A flight today takes about as long as a flight took sixty years ago. We've gone from a ten x improvement to no improvement at all. What happened? I'm Jacob Bolgstein and this is What's Your Problem? The show where I talk to people who are trying to make technological progress. My guest today is Blake Shoal, the founder and CEO of Boom Supersonic. Blake's problem is this, can you build a commercial airplane that flies faster than the speed of sound and that can turn a profit. Blake started the company in twenty fourteen. Since then, he's secured pre orders from japan Airlines, United and American Airlines, and he and his team built a test plane that flew faster than the speed of sound. Now they're working on a full size commercial jet that Blake hopes will fly at mock one point seven one point seven times the speed of sound, or roughly twice as fast as commercial jets fly today. To start, I asked Blake about the Concord. The Concord, of course, is the only supersonic commercial passenger jet ever built, ever flown with passengers on it. But the Concord stopped flying more than twenty years ago, and today it's widely viewed as a fail.
Speaker 2: I think Concord killed supersonic flight and Apollo killed space exploration. And yet at nineteen sixty nine, we had that first moon landing and we had that first flight of Concord, and at the time it looked like both of these were harbingers of huge technological progress for humanity. And I think if you stop somebody in the street nineteen sixty nine and said, in twenty twenty five, what do you think space exploration will be like? What do you think flight will be like? No one would have predicted that supersonic would be gone and moon landings will be gone.
Speaker 1: Right, But that was the peak, it wasn't going to get any better, and in fact, in terms of commercial air air travel, it was going to get worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything got worse. Everything got worse. And I think that Concord and Apollo are actually brethren. Both were technologically extremely impressive, like what we did in the nineteen sixties with rockets and airplanes, with slide rolls, drafting paper wind tunnels is extremely totonal, logically impressive. Yet that the motivation as what was killer and both Concored and Apollo were Cold War era glory projects led by governments who are competing for prestige.
Speaker 1: Basically to show up the Soviet Union right, to show the superiority of Western capitalism over Soviet communism.
Speaker 2: Yes, except the deep irony is we did at the communist way, right.
Speaker 1: They were command and control projects that made no economic sense.
Speaker 2: They were command and control projects with no economic sense. And it turns out when the West copied effectively the communist approach for a little while we had technological superiority because of the momentum that we had, but then we destroyed ourselves. And so you know, Apollo didn't even pretend to have anything commercial right, like it was operating on it like a percentage of GDP, right, which is to say, an incredibly large amount of money relative to the overall economy went into getting.
Speaker 1: A very small number of people to the moon a few times.
Speaker 2: That's that's right, yeah, And you know, and and the knock on effect of that, you know, for the entire airspace supply chain, it was basically, you know, land on the mood at all costs, are at any cost, And the result was the entire space side of the supply chain got drunk on these incredibly lucrative contracts were costs was no object, right, And then after the Cold War it only got worse and we put all of the like defense industrial base on corporate welfare and they got fat and dumb. And then and then on the concord side, it at least looked better because on paper, this was a commercial airplane where people could buy tickets and airlines would buy the airplanes, and you know, the airlines would make money. But in reality it wasn't that. Here here's a hundred seat airplane, by the way, one hundred like actually pretty uncomfortable seats, and what you know, ejected for inflation was a twenty thousand dollars ticket, and you just can't find one hundred people that want to pay twenty grand to go somewhere really fast. I mean this, this is for royalty and rock stars, and especially with like eighties and nineties kind of travel demand. The thing flew half empty on the best route in the world, which is New York to London. You know, if you want to find people who want to pay a lot of money to go fast, New York London, it's the best city pair you could pick.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't work at all economically beyond that, and so and then the world drew all the wrong conclusions, you know, they concluded like supersonic flight had to be expensive, it had to be cramped and uncomfortable, it had to be noisy, it had to be uneconomic. And it's like, imagine, imagine if we built like the Univac, you know, like one of the first mainframe computers it which is like the size of the room, and you have to be like a bank to afford it. And then we stopped. And then and then fifty years later people would swear up and down that you could never possibly have a pocket computer that every day people could have could afford but yet you know, Concord is like the UNIVAC.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, it's a design from the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 2: Basically, that's right, that's right. And I say this with like deep admiration for the incredible technical work that went into it. A lot of people worked really hard. They did amazing things. Now that we are you know now that at Boom we have like built and flown a supersonic jet, what we can see is they did really really well given the tech was available in the nineteen sixties. It's extremely impressive. You know, in Britain and France, people are incredibly proud of Concord, and from a technological level, like they deserve to be.
Speaker 1: So. So, okay, you were you were a software developer, right, You weren't a plane guy. You weren't an aerospace engineer. But like whatever, twelve years ago or something, you got interested in this idea of supersonic air travel. Why aren't there supersonic jets? So you have this question in your mind. You go try and figure it out. What do you find?
Speaker 2: The internet was full of all this conventional wisdom about why flights aren't faster. You can still find some of these YouTube videos and they say, is like supersonic flight is inherently more expensive. Passengers always buy the cheapest ticket, so supersonic flight will never be commercially viable. And hang on, Well, first off, that's a qualitative claim about a quantitative question, and it doesn't even really completely make sense, right, Like, the whole reason we have jet flights is because people wanted to go faster than not propeller flights. The reason people pay more for direct flights than connecting is they want to save time and hassle. Time is the one resource it's not ever renewable, So the idea that people wouldn't pay for time savings didn't completely make sense.
Speaker 1: Sure, plainly, at some margins, some people will pay some amount more to go some amount faster. Right, exactly what are all the margins?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, You're totally right. It's a quantitative question, not a qualitative one. And I think one of the lessons of I think the Boom story is never accept a qualitative answer to a quantitative question. Go run the math. Okay, what is the actual cost of supersonic flight and what is people's actual willingness to pay to go faster? So it turned out it took two weeks to find the key idea, which is I mean, today there is a huge market for international business class. It's roughly twenty percent of passengers and eighty percent of international airline profits on business class, which is flying beds for people who so hate that flights are along that they want to try and sleep through them on the airplane. And so that the original boom idea was, well, what if we could make a supersonic seat with the economics of a flying bed and business class, but on an airplane sufficiently fast that you wouldn't need to sleep on it. You could sleep at home instead. And so the first question I asked is, well, how much would you have to beat Concord by on just basic airplane efficiency in order to create a seat with the economics of a flying bed. And the answer was less than ten percent.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, So like Concord was almost there by your reckoning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. If you could improve on the gas dileage basically of Concord by less than ten percent, that you would tip over to this happy point where you could have a supersonic seat with the economics of a flatbed and business class and instead of being this like stratospheric airplane that like flies mostly empty, a whole bunch of modern demand would be there, the seats would fill at a high rate, and the market would be gigantic. And so that that took two weeks, and I was like that, well, I don't know anything about airplanes, Like all I had at that point was my pilot's license. But ten percent versus nineteen sixties technology didn't seem crazy. So at that point I was like, Okay, if I'm going to go do this, I need to know a heck of a lot more. And it sort of kicked off what was really a twelve month journey for me getting educated in aerospace.
Speaker 1: So when you're when you say ten percent, I mean, is that sort of a marginal cost calculation like that? That is that basically setting aside the fixed cost of building the first plane and then build well of building the first plane like that seems like the big unknown in the math there is how much is it going to cost to make plane number one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, so there are a few things that matter, right. The first thing is if we could manage to produce the airplane, would it be affordable for passengers, improfitable for airlines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of the first principles version is like, let's just look at the physics and like thinks, right, what we know, is it theoretically possible to build an airplane that can fly enough people from New York to London if they pay business class but sit upright at supersonic speeds? Does the first principles math pencil up? That's the math you're doing there, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, with technology that's available, is it possible to build an airplane that is affordable for passengers improfitable for airlines? And it turned out the answer was yes.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, And what is business class New York London? What is that five grand? Something like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah about that? I mean, actually people routinely pay more than five grand. The economics of our airplane. It turns out thirty five hundred is break even. So at five grand it's very profitable for airlines. And people pay five grand by the way round trip routinely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, so you've got the kind of first principles back of the envelope math that looks promising. So you started the company, yes, and and that was what about ten years ago, right?
Speaker 2: That was Yeah, it was about eleven years ago now that I was making that spreadsheet, and you know, we'll turn. We'll turn eleven on paper in September, because that was when I got to the point where, Okay, I'm actually really committed, it's time to go.
Speaker 1: I love that you called it boom leaning in like embracing the haters in some in some fashion. Tell me about the boom. Let's talk about supersonic booms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so my belief from day one was that the boom would not be the blocker, and that that spreadsheet basically said there is a gigantic market for supersonic flight even if the boom is entirely unsolved, and you have to fly subsnic over land and supersonic over water and focus initially on on routes that were primarily transoceanic.
Speaker 1: Just to be clear, in the US right now, commercial flights are not allowed to fly supersonic, even if there were a plane that could do it by regulation, right because of the boom. Is that the starting point?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that that's where we started, because the premise was, hey, it's pretty ambitious to start a brand new company from scratch where your goals to build a supersonic airliners. So let's not let's not push anything too far. Let's operate only with existing technology and only with existing regulations, and that would that would have some hope of making it tractable for a startup to go do.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk a little bit about the last ten years and building XB one, your test plane, And I'm curious in particular sort of unsurprisingly it has taken longer than you thought, which it would be shocking if it didn't, rightly given the nature of the project. But I'm curious, like, what were some of the things you thought at the jump that turned out to be wrong, you know, things where you went down the wrong path and had to do something different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So when we started out with XB one, we gave it some really really aggressive goals. So we wanted to go ten percent faster than Concord, We wanted to do it with a passenger on board. We wanted to not need an after burner. Like. We gave it all these you know, fairly aggressive goals that were actually well beyond what was really necessary. But we thought we didn't appreciate all of the challenges that would would come with that, and so we actually made the job a lot harder than it needed to be. And the biggest thing that we learned on XB one in this context is is pragmatism, like, it doesn't need to go mock two point two. At mock one point seven. Is it totally fine, minimum viable supersonic chat and it's dramatically easier. So part of what we learned from XP one is how to make the overture airliner a lot easier to do, and it was things like, if you want to go mock two point two, the wings have to be really skinny, and if the wings are really skinny, it's very hard to fly takeoff and landing. And so we ended up spending two years on low speed aerodynamics for takeoff and landing with a wing that was really designed to go super super fast, and then with a long, skinny airplane to go mock two point two. It's really hard to fit the landing gear in. And so we ended up I remember in like twenty nineteen when we're like finishing the design of this thing and kind of in the process of building it, and so wait a minute, how did we end up in a corner of the universe where we have to design the most efficient shock absorber ever made like that was a bizarre like and we literally we had to design the most efficient shock absorber ever made for a landing gear. Why, well, we given ourselves this like unnecessarily challenging top speed goal, which it made the airplane log and skinny, which made the landing gear need to fit in a very tight space, which meant the shock absorbers had to be really really good.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, Well, why had you? I mean, it's easy from this point of view to say, like why it was foolish to try and go so fast? Which is sort of what you're saying. But presumably when you picked that speed, you picked it for a reason. Why did you pick that speed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we there was sort of a scientific reason, and then there was probably an emotional reason. And the scientific reason was we thought we were on the happy side of a lot of market opportunity and on the happy side of the step changes in technological challenge. Based on what we knew from textbooks.
Speaker 1: The market opportunity means the faster you go, the bigger the market.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's right, Like, you know, if you speed a flight up. I'll pick an extreme example. Let's let's say you speed up New York London by like half an hour. You actually make the flight worse. It's still going to be scheduled as a red eye, right, but you don't get as much sleep, that's right, So it's actually it's actually worse.
Speaker 1: And then presumably if you can go fast enough, you can like fly the same crew to London and back without having to change the crew, and your economics get better or something bingo.
Speaker 2: That's one of the ways the economics in this work when you go faster. Lots of things actually get cheaper. You need less crews, you don't you don't spend money putting people up in Marriotts like that. We call that the speed dividend. There's a lot of cost that comes down with speed.
Speaker 1: Basically, the cost the benefits of going two point two are the same, but the cost of the marginal cost of going that much faster was higher than you thought.
Speaker 2: That's that's right. Like and fuel burn. You know, once we committed to meeting the same most stringent noise rules that apply to subsonic airplanes that actually puts a big penalty on high speed, and we found that it mocked two point two. We'll be burning forty percent more fuel than at one point seven, and yet and what that meant in flight times was actually just a fifteen minute difference.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: So it made no sense, and we got more pragmatic. And the other thing that, you know, it was the kind of the emotional piece of this was, you know, I sort of booted up, you know, pounding my fist on the table and saying, fifty years later, we should do better than concords, that we should be faster, and d da DA and all these other things. Yeah, And the reality was that wasn't actually necessary. What we needed was a pragmatic starting point that we could then continue to iterate and innovate, you know. And overture is not the be all end all of supersonic airplanes. It's the version one. And we can do a version one point one, and we can do a version two. And the thing that matters is ensure ensuring that version one is sufficiently pragmatic that we can we can birth it. Yeah. So, how fast did concord go? Two point zero? Actually two point oh two actually is the precise number.
Speaker 1: And you've you've made your piece with building a first plane that goes slower than the Concord.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I guess officially we've made our piece with it not in your heart on the spread, not in my heart like because you know, mock one point seven just doesn't roll off the tongue like mock two.
Speaker 1: No two, Mock two sounds way cooler.
Speaker 2: Mock two sounds way cooler, you know, And for a while, by license, TAG said mock two point two, and I learned that I should really never put a technical design parameter on a vanity plate. That was a That was a That was a bad decision because it made it hard. It made it harder for me to admit the difficult truth when every.
Speaker 1: Day when you went out and thought your car, you were getting mocked by your failure in relatively.
Speaker 2: Yeah, m A h E D yes, oh very good, very good.
Speaker 1: That should be your new vanity plate to keep you humble.
Speaker 2: No, now it just says supersonic because so long as I bust mock one, I'm good.
Speaker 1: Still to come on the show. How much more time and money will it take to build a supersonic plane that can carry paying passengers? Also, what might go wrong? So you're building the airliner, you're also sort of building the jets, right, I know, you were working with Rolls Royce and then which makes a lot of jets for airplanes now, and then you stopped working with Rolls Royce. Tell me, tell me about what you've got to do, Like what's the next big step in terms of the airplane the jets, Like what do you got to do next? And when do you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so step one, scalop those jet engines. Step two, scalop the airplanes. Step three, put it all together, prove to ourselves and to our regulator in the public that it's safe, and then go carry passengers. And so you mentioned you mentioned the whole jet engine thing. Yeah, we actually when I started, our plan was to go build our own jet engines, just the same way SpaceX builds their own engines. And then we got, uh distracted. I let us get distracted by this sort of sexy notion that would be able to take Rolls Race engine and just modify it working with Rolls Royce, and that turned out to be just a terrible idea.
Speaker 1: Huh. Most companies that build airplanes don't build their own jets. Right, It's not a crazy idea to say we're going to build airplanes and we're going to let people who are really good at building jets, build the jets.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So if you look back far enough in time, it turned out Boeing, United Airlines, and Pratt and Whitney the jet engine company, were actually all the same company. H they were all they were vertically integrated from the airline through to the jet engine or I guess back that it wasn't jet engines, it was Piston engines. But I think that was actually the national state of the industry. And they got broken apart, not because they wanted to. But there was an airmail scandal in the early nineteen thirties, the outcome of which was the government split them up. Oh.
Speaker 1: Interesting, an airmail scandal. You don't hear about so many airmail scandals there.
Speaker 2: There was the airmail scandal of nineteen thirty two, where what was going on was basically the US government was subsidizing airmail because they wanted to get off the ground.
Speaker 1: So to speak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh, it's it's so the the retail price of airmail was less than the airlines were getting paid. Yeah. Uh, And so the airlines found they could make more money by going to the post office and mailing bricks. Oh. I love that that's and so the you know, and that the Postmaster General was corrupt, like everybody was on the take. It was nasty. And then and then the the industry, everybody was kind of at fault here, and the industry took the blame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in yours telling is why jets companies that make jets are different than the companies that make the airplanes they go on. It's a bull claim. Yeah, well, yeah, and I think there is.
Speaker 2: You know, industries tend to go through cycles where vertical integration is either a good strategy or a bad strategy. And there's a there's a great book on this called The Innovators Solution, But they talk about under what circumstances vertical integration is smart versus working with suppliers.
Speaker 1: What was it Jim Barksdale line in the nineties, there's two businesses, bundling and unbundling. It's like that.
Speaker 2: I hadn't heard that, but I think it's kind of true, and it's it's contextual. Yeah, And the long story short, when when the current state of the art technology is good enough for the in purpose, uh you, unbundling and not vertical integration tends to make sense when the when the components need to advance and the integration and the final product is important, then vertical integration really matters. And so I think they're kind of two threads of the story. One is, it's probably not a good idea for a brand new startup to put all of its eggs in the basket of a like one hundred year old company that like is a risk averse, doesn't want to make changes, isn't fast moving, maybe you know, it isn't sure what it really wants to be, right, so.
Speaker 1: You're putting all of your eggs in your own basket, which is strong, certainly. So uh so, what like what's the next mile post you got to hit? Like, what's the big, big next hurdle.
Speaker 2: We'll find we'll find out around the end of this year whether our jet engine's working. We're building the first one right now, and we'll see if it works. And so this this will be a very very large jet engine core. You know, like it'll be roughly four feet in diameter. This is not a small piece of hardware. You weigh well over ten thousand pounds. This is a very complex piece of turbomachinery. And we'll we'll we'll fire it up and we'll we'll see what's we'll see what's working, and then next next year. So that's the core of the engine, and a year later our goal is to have a you know, a full up engine, not just the core, but the fan and the what's called the low pressure system as well. Okay, but the core, the core is actually the really hard part. So we're starting. We're starting with the hardest part, and.
Speaker 1: Then in parallel you're building the plane or designing the plane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're actually done designing the plane. Okay, So we we froze, froze the design of the overture I think a week after XB one's final flight. Okay, And so that means, you know, I proverbally broke the engineer's pencils.
Speaker 1: So just now, just in the last several weeks, you froze the design of the plane. You said, this is it, this is the plane we're going to build. This is this is it?
Speaker 2: Right? You know, like it's it's very easy for ambitious engineers to want to optimize forever. Sure, and we said this is good enough for version one. It's time to it's time to stop tweaking the design and start doing the detailed engineering so we can start building this thing, tell me about what it's going to look like. So, Uh, supersonic jets fit in some ways sculpted by physics. They're going to be long and skinny, They're going to have a triangular kind of delta wing. So in a certain sense, overture is going to need to look concord like because physics says it needs to look concord like.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But the details are the details that come so far forward. Uh. One of the one of the big aerodynamic advances versus concord is something called area ruling, which basically said the fuselage needs to be big in the front and small in the back. And uh. And so overture looks it looks a little bit like a concord in a seven forty seven had a love child. Okay, so it's it's not literally double deck in the front, but it's bigger in the front and it's skinnier in the back. And this leads for a very interesting canvas. And I can't tell you yet what exactly it's like at the front of the airplane, because we've got we've got something we invented that I'm incredibly excited about. That we haven't revealed yet, but I think it's gonna be. I think it's gonna be a big wow factor. People look at them, say, wait a minute, you got that to fit in a skinny supersonic chat an elephant?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: Uh? It is some It is something that will be delightful for passengers.
Speaker 1: A waterfall. I'll stop guessing, but I'm curious.
Speaker 2: So it's I'll tell you right now. It's not a hot tub.
Speaker 1: Okay, cold plunge. Cold plunge is the new hot tub.
Speaker 2: That's right. There's a cold plunge in the front of the air airplane and the hot tub of the back of the airplane. You can actually have both.
Speaker 1: So what what do you got to do to get through the very non trivial regulatory hurdles to get from drawing up a plane into a plane that the FAA and analogous regulators say yes, this can fly with commercial passengers.
Speaker 2: Well, we just have to prove it safe.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a lot in that.
Speaker 2: Just there is a lot of there's a lot of that just I mean that this will be one of the most complex safety critical machines ever built. But all of the rules are published, so we know exactly what we have to go do, and the certification is just proving that we did it. And so that that will involve about five thousand hours of flight testing and many more hours of ground testing. And so just to give you a concrete sense of what this is like on the ground, you know, we will we will build a a kind of a flightless bird, you know, a copy of the airplane that will never fly, and will load up the wings with hydraulic presses and we'll bend them until they break. It will make sure that they don't break before they're supposed to. Basically, you have to prove that they can take one point five times the load they will ever see under the most extreme case before failing. You know, that's one example. You do in the ground, and you and then the air you fly it through all the most extreme flight conditions. You make sure it can handle bad weather. You can make sure that it flies through, you know, a snowstorm, the deicne can keep up with the icing. You shoot a chicken at the jet engines and make sure that when you know, if you get a bird strike, that either the engine doesn't fail or it fails in a non catastrophic way. That's actually one of the most difficult tests.
Speaker 1: Uh. So okay, so you got to do all these things. What is your current target date for when I can buy a ticket?
Speaker 2: About four years, So our goal is to be ready for passengers by the end of twenty twenty nine, so about four four and a half to five years from where we are today.
Speaker 1: Like, playing XP one took longer than you thought, but you're still assuming overture is not going to take longer than you thought setting them in parallel.
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's mean, it's totally possible overture will be late. Yeah, I mean, the way these things go, it seems likely. Again, this is from ignorance, just looking at the nature of projects in many different companies, in many different settings. Like, plainly, what you're trying to do is very hard, and plainly you're only doing it because you have some amount of optimism which is required to do the job right. And so just from from that very small amount of data and for like, yeah, I mean, you're probably not gonna overestimate that long it will take it. Yeah, yes, yeah, yeah, it is. It is highly unlikely we will get done sooner than we're charge. You're not gonna be done early, right, yes, you know. But the one of one of the lessons I've learned along the way is is kind of how to think about schedules. And uh, I think schedules are actually misnamed because because nothing ever goes according to plan, and and what what, it's not a schedule, it's actually a work plan. And the point of the work plan is to allow the team to respond intelligently the moment something doesn't go according to plan, which is basically every day. And so what we do is we build what's called a success based schedule, meaning we don't pad it to assume that there's going to be failures. Uh, we kind of we kind of assume, ever, everything is going to go well, and we assume that we'll be able to do things, you know, slightly more efficiently than you know than like a Boeing Wood And so there's some optimism built into it, and and and many times we realize that optimism and and and and when we find oops, there's something we didn't know about or this was harder than we expected, then we react to it in the most efficient way possible. And uh, and that that's what actually results in the fastest possible deliver uh, because nothing, nothing ever gets done faster than the amount of time you give it. Right, But we'll just take all the time there, that's right, because they want to be the best job possible, exactly, And the kind of people who come join a supertonic jet startup are incredibly ambitious and have very very high standards. So you know, you know, if if I didn't say, the design is frozen and that's.
Speaker 1: It's a hard trade off, right, It's a hard trade off because like there's a million hard optimization problems that people are working on, and there's the kind of meta optimization problem of how long do you spend on each.
Speaker 2: Thing that's that's right? That's right, And there's like you know, when when do you declare good enough?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right? And that was I mean there are so many stories of you know, really, I think part of my role is helped the team decide when's good enough and you know, and what things have to be in one point zero versus what things we can save for one point one, and having good judgment about that makes it much easier to actually ship one point h Right.
Speaker 1: You don't need to build the most perfect supersonic jet ever. You just need to build on that is safe and reliable.
Speaker 2: That's that's right.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about money. How much have you raised and how much do you need to get the first one point zero overture flying with ye.
Speaker 2: So, a thing I've come to believe is that one of the most important things in pulling this off is being incredibly efficient with capital. We've raised about six hundred million dollars, We've spent less than five hundred million dollars, and with that we built and flew a supersonic jet with a human on board. We designed an airliner, we designed an engine, and we did all the other things that started a pass to do over a decade. So what does that mean going forward? We need less than a billion dollars of investor funding from where we are now to finish.
Speaker 1: When you say investor funding, like, are you assuming more pre orders or you think for less than a billion dollars you can actually or less a billion dollars more you can actually build a build a plane that's gonna take passengers across the ocean.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Part of it is being very smart with capital leverage. You know, you know, so for example, uh, you know, we will be able to go use debt to buy capital equipment, right, So, like a lot of production equipment will be financed without requiring you know, equity investment from investors, huh. And we've we've already been able to do some of that. So there's a lot smart financial engineering as part of the solution. The other part of the solution is being incredibly efficient in execution. You know. I still tell that by the way that this is in some ways the most difficult thing.
Speaker 1: Spending the money intelligently basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the way I frame it for our team internally, and we're just very open about this. I say, our single biggest risk as a company is we don't get done for an obtainable amount of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, because the physics. We've known the physics for whatever fifty years or more. Right, Like, plainly one can build a supersonic jet. But building it cheaply enough in your case to survive, right and then in the long run to have it be commercially viable is the hard part, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So one half of this is how do we execute really efficiently. How do we have a small team of world class engineers with incredibly good software tools, and we're using a lot of software, and we're using some ai uh such that one engineer can do the work of ten, and that allows us to be really efficient with our money. And we are just absolutely miserly about money on one hand. On the other hand, we need to have a capital structure that's very good for investors and that leverages non diluted financing sources, be it customer prepayments or plant and equipment debt, or public support to kind of lever up those investor dollars to make the whole thing economically viable.
Speaker 1: What's public support mean?
Speaker 2: So we're we had a fantastic package that we got from the state of North Carolina that funded the superfactory and Greensboro, where the state of North Carolina so wanted Boom to come and build the airplane there that just as they welcomed the Right Brothers one hundred years ago, they welcomed us, and and that that basically paid for the entire site prep and build out of the superfactory. So that way, and we were incredibly grateful for that, and I, you know, I want to make sure we pay it forward in North Carolina.
Speaker 1: I've heard you say on an interview you did in the last year or so that you underestimated how hard it was going to be to build the company to build a supersonic jet. And I'm curious, if you look forward now to going from here to you know, having passengers on a jet, do you think you're underestimating how hard that's going to be.
Speaker 2: I am sure there are problems that we will have that I don't know about today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a different I mean, it's a weird question because if you're underestimating it, then you would revise your estimation. It's like why is the stock market wrong?
Speaker 2: But like, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe you have to underestimate it, Like I don't know. You know, people always sy if I knew how hard it was going to be, I wouldn't have done it.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if they really mean that, but I think some people mean it and it's really and I find that really sad, and I don't I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. I mean like, actually, like boy, like this startup stuff is so hard. It just kills me that someone will put in all of the effort required to birth a new company and a new product from scratch, and it is really hard. It's like chewing on glass, and then to do it for something they're like, wow, I wish I hadn't, Like that is really sad. And by the way, I have my chewing on glass days for sure, and I'm sure I'll have more. And the worst of it, the worst of it is when I look in the mirror and I'm not sure whether I'm up for the job. Yeah, I mean, I think, like boys, someone better than me could have done this, But I don't know if I can, you know, Or I look at a problem we have and it's not you know, and it's it's very much my responsibility and my error. Like those are the hardest days, and and yet I care so darn much about this that that it's worth that personal hell to give it everything I've got, and I don't. I don't regret it, even the days where I'm like, boy, I don't know whether we're going to get through this. And We've had a bunch of those days, and I think I'd be foolish to think that we won't have them again.
Speaker 1: Why why is supersonic flight your thing? Like, why is that what you have devoted your professional life to?
Speaker 2: One of the principles I have for myself now is I only want to work on things that might not happen if I didn't work on them. And if the world followed that, we'd have a lot less photo sharing apps and fewer AI companies. But maybe things like traffic would be solved, huh. And you know, for me specifically with supersonic flight, my kids had a grandfather who lived in Hong Kong, you know, eighteen hours from us in Denver that they got to meet maybe three or four times their entire life, and so they never got to know him. And I grew up with my grandfather ninety minutes away, and I got to spend every weekend with him, and I'm a different person because of that. And so I've had a lot of personal experiences that basically say, hey, speed's not about saving time or being really cool, although it is about saving time and being really cool. Yeah, speed is about what you choose to do or not do, And there are all kinds of things in the world that don't happen because flights are too long.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in a minute with the lightning round. Okay, let's finish with the lightning ground and then before you started the company. You made a list of things you wanted to work on, and you sort of rank ordered them and how happy it would make you to work on them. Obviously supersonic jet was one, but what was two? It fell off really quickly. It's a distant second.
Speaker 2: I had a rental car company idea. Huh, that would be like a like your rental car picks you up like an uber, then you get in and drive it like it's not I would love that product. I don't think it's a great business idea. What was the scariest part of getting your pilot's license. Oh, I remember that very first moment of takeoff and what turned out to be Larry Elson's old airplane, And there was this moment of like, holy crap, I'm scared because I got my life in my own hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like when you learn to drive a car.
Speaker 2: I remember that.
Speaker 1: When I learned to drive a car, is like I could just swerve into the oncoming lane right now, right.
Speaker 2: It felt really fragile, like I've got my life in my own hands. But then there was the other side of that same coin, which is this is really cool, I've got my life in my own hands.
Speaker 1: Uh, Huh. What was the scariest part of working with Jeff Bezos? Uh.
Speaker 2: Jeff was great to work with and I was incredibly privileged in my early twenties. I got to work on something he cared about. Uh uh. And Jeff one of one of the one of the best things about Jeff is he very fairly calls the balls and the strikes and he and he rewards honesty and accountability. So I remember at one point, this is actually my very first time presenting to him, and it's the presentations overall, going well, this is before he ban PowerPoint and I get to some slide and he says, well, why didn't you do X? And X was actually a pretty good idea, And I said, well, we didn't think of that and and and he starts laughing that like famous big Jeff Bezos laugh And he says, that's a great answer. It's true all the time, but no one will ever say it. He understands that anybody sufficiently ambitious is going to make mistakes, and what matters is to own him and learn from him. And he always rewarded that. And that's that's something I try to emulate myself as a as a leader.
Speaker 1: Okay, briefly, let's do a few overrated or underrated questions for jet travel checking luggage overrated or underrated?
Speaker 2: Underrated. The way this should work is you take your Uber to the airport, someone grabs your bag from the trunk. You go through the airport only with what you actually want with you on the airplane. When you arrive on the other side, you go to your Uber and your check bag is already in your trunk.
Speaker 1: That's a compelling dream. Rated or underrated.
Speaker 2: The window seat, I think it's highly rated and underrated. Like I am glued to that window.
Speaker 1: I love highly rated but still underrated things. So I feel about Bob Dylan neck pillows overrated or underrated.
Speaker 2: It's not for me under overrated.
Speaker 1: Same. Blake Schole is the founder and CEO of Boom Supersonic. Today's show was produced by Gabriel Hunter Cheng. It was edited by Lyddy jeen Kott and engineered by Sarah Brugeer. You can email us at problem at Pushkin dot f M. I'm Jacob Oldstein and we'll be back next week with another episode of What's Your Popula