Speaker 1: Previously on number one Dad.
Speaker 2: Watching him maneuver. That was where I thought that the sort of mentoring came in, even though it's not exactly how I would.
Speaker 3: Go about things, some of the locations he would take me too, and he'd have me wearing like this shirt that said AT and T and it had the logo on it, not knowing that you can't do that. You can't just use a company's logo.
Speaker 4: There's no doubt in my mind that many could have been anything he wanted.
Speaker 5: I got a call from him one day saying, this has been a bad week. He had been getting notices I believe from AT and T which will basically stopping desist orders.
Speaker 1: Then on October seventeenth, nineteen ninety four, I woke up at six in the morning to someone pounding on our front door. The next thing I knew, our house was being raided by the US Marshals. Do you remember talking to my dad after the US Marshals raided our house.
Speaker 5: I remember him saying that, oh, this one is bad. They came over. They took pretty much everything from his office, files, computers, boxes to be used in a legal case against them AT and T. Following the proper legal route had gotten the court order and because he had refused who knows how many ceased assist orders and judge okay, that to happen.
Speaker 1: I remember they came in and my dad being me come down the stairs in a hat that had at and t on it, and he told me to say this. He goes, where are you taking my daddy's stuff? So that's something that I had to say as a ten year old.
Speaker 5: I'm relieved that he didn't have you say yes, I'm many veeter, how can I help you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's my fault.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. Guys. I was there that morning. I was like just sitting in the basement, like, man it was just like stay here. I'm like really, He's like yeah.
Speaker 6: Only the marshals came and they started, you know, packing things up, putting into boxes. I felt, you know, sad for him because I knew he had to face a man on this.
Speaker 2: And we were like still worried, like, oh my goodness, are we going to be in trouble too.
Speaker 4: One day I got a phone call from rich who was with Manny in the basement, and the marshals came storming in and that became our little season of legal eaese, we would be prepping for deposition because rich and I were part of this, you know, we're clearly witnesses and involved.
Speaker 1: Not surprisingly, the raid came up in my last therapy session.
Speaker 7: Gary, how did you feel when you saw the federal agents coming in to raige your home.
Speaker 1: I mean it might sound weird, but I remember not being worried at all. My dad always felt like he could get out of any situation, so I didn't think that he would be in trouble. If anything, I thought that, you know, the people that were coming in the house, the cops, that they were in the wrong. So I was just taking it as like these guys are screwing up, and my dad's going to be able to get out of whatever problem this is, and that it's their fault that this happened. And then I just left for school. This is number one Dad. So what's the latest, Gary in tracking down your father. Well, I went and saw my child at home from the outside, and I'm not exactly sure if he lives there. All I saw was a kid's bicycle and one of those little kid radio flyer wagons, and I checked the mailbox. It was empty. I have no idea if that's his home or not. So I'm kind of in a position where at one point I was scared to talk to him, but now I don't even know if I'm going to get the chance.
Speaker 7: All Right, I'm.
Speaker 8: Going good, So I know this is like a weird question.
Speaker 2: I was wondering if you get help.
Speaker 8: So I have a number for my father, who I haven't spoken to in like twenty four years, and I'm not sure if it's his phone number, and I was wondering if there's a way to like look it up to see if it's his number, because I tried calling and I got disconnected, so I'm not sure if it's like his number.
Speaker 9: It's a landline, okay, So as far as like the landline numbers, the only thing that I can do it as is we can pay a bill. If you're not the account holder, I can't give any information about the bill, like as to who the account holder is, anything else about it. So no, yes, just for like security purposes, okay. So I wouldn't be able to tell you the name, so called it.
Speaker 8: It didn't well, So what happened was I called the number and then an automated message picked up and but it sounds. It was like a robotic automated message, so it's not like my dad's voice. And then I'm leaving a message and then it just got like cut off, like halfway through the message.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then so I don't know if it was received.
Speaker 9: Okay, what's actually I think with a laydland on, hold on? What's the phone number?
Speaker 1: So it's six ' three one. What's what's his name, Manny Veeder?
Speaker 9: I mean that's the number that is showing on here.
Speaker 8: Uh huh, that's associated with him.
Speaker 2: So got it.
Speaker 9: This was the last subject in the twenty twenty though.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Well, trying to figure out my next move and tracking my father down, I caught up with my cousin Mason.
Speaker 2: Manny was smart.
Speaker 5: He never went to law school, but he learned the court system.
Speaker 1: My father's years of legal battles in court preparing would go up against one of the biggest companies in the world at and T.
Speaker 5: He seemed to understand that the longer you delay any legal work, push off court dates, push off everything you possibly can, the more exhausted people get, and the more likely that something will be dismissed or the punishment will be less severe.
Speaker 1: My dad's employees at the time were Rich Petrick and Mark Palmery, and they found themselves right in the middle of my father's problems.
Speaker 2: I remember me going to court with him.
Speaker 6: The courthouse in Manhattan was always funny because we had to go there a couple of times. He was confident when he got in there and he didn't care at all.
Speaker 4: He was familiar with these court run ins, and he would go in and ask for an extension or a delay where some people weren't happy for something and they felt lied to, and it was always this kind of petty sounding complaint, so like something wasn't returned, something was broken, maybe he was dishonest, you know, or whatever. But it was not that big a deal. But the eighteen and T lawyers were a little scary. They were they were fired up, and they were saying some crazy stuff that we had never seen.
Speaker 7: Good Morning calling. The case of AT and T Corp. Versus Manny Vider.
Speaker 1: My Father's Child began November seventh, nineteen ninety four, on Long Island. The voices you're about to hear are actors, but the words were all recorded by a court stenographer.
Speaker 7: Good Morning, your honor.
Speaker 10: The defendant many Veder is engaged in a continuing scheme of passing themselves off as an AT and T personnel using counterfeit AT and T logos in order to install pay telephones at local retail stores and to foice the defendant's version of pay telephone service on the public. The defendant has used various aliases, including Many wolf Mark, wolf m Wolfman, Milton Wolfman, Menachem Vider, among others. The scheme has been so successful that the defendant has acquired over two hundred customers in a few year span.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I still have it.
Speaker 6: Like a sweatshirt that was from Manny, Like he had these blue sweatshirts sprinted up and had a little AT and T logo on it, and we would wear them and it was like, you know, we were just absolutely representing that we were AT and T. When you start this thing and you're working for somebody, you don't know, like what's going on.
Speaker 2: You know, twenty years old, naive, you don't know like.
Speaker 6: If he really works for ATT, he's a subcontractor The thing with your dad is like he just was trying to hustle and make a buck.
Speaker 11: Mister Burke, this case is not about counterfeiting, while the defendant has used plaintiff's trademarks a practice witch immediately terminated by the defendant. After receiving notice of this action, mister Veeder took affirmative steps to avoid confusion between his company and plaintiff AT and T.
Speaker 7: Mister Burke, I do have a check here, which I believe is September ninth, is it? I'm looking at Exhibit.
Speaker 2: B, your honor.
Speaker 11: If you look at that check, you'll see that it states that Payphone Plus is a provider of AT and T service, and it says that AT and T the right choice of trademarks of American Telephone and Telegraph.
Speaker 7: I think what I'm saying to you, however, mister Burke, is why does the check have the logo of the Globeonet.
Speaker 2: Your honor?
Speaker 11: These checks are no longer in use.
Speaker 2: We have new checks.
Speaker 11: Yes, indeed, there is a dispute.
Speaker 7: But that joinder is that it was used I believe after the temporary restraining order, wasn't it.
Speaker 10: We discovered that he never seesoned assistant and in fact expanded his network, even using checks as recently as two weeks ago after the order telling him not to say AT and T.
Speaker 1: At this point in the trial, the court entered a preliminary injunction as a result of the items discovered at the seizure. When my house was raided by the US marshals, my father was ordered to immediately stop identifying himself as a represent of AT and T. But things were also just getting started. The AT and T lawyers were trying to turn my father's life upside down. They subpoened my mom, my uncle, and my grandparents, anyone they could get to mess with my dad. But if you make things difficult for him, he's going to make it twice as difficult for you.
Speaker 10: Mister Veter has been talking to witnesses and telling them of different dates for depositions, so that after we subpoena someone for a date, we called them to confirm they're coming and they say, oh, mister Veto told us it's a different day. In addition, mister Palmieri testified yesterday that mister Veter spoke to him when they heard he was being subpoened and told him if he avoids the subpoena, he doesn't have to come.
Speaker 4: So both Rich and I did. Eventually we had to give testimony the AT and T lawyers were literally making faces they hated Manny. It looks like it looked like they wanted to kill him. Snarling, sneering, you know, these leering, threatening eyes, and you know, twists of the lips and just like almost like they want to at him or split their tongue out at him.
Speaker 1: Do you remember how my dad was responding to the AT and T lawyers.
Speaker 4: I distinctly remember Manny just looking back at them with this small smile, with a toughness, a charm, even like dog tough man. There was something street right there about that he had in him that was not backing down. You know, they've said that Manny deliberately damaged other AT and T phones that were in the area so that people would use.
Speaker 1: His lawyers for AT and T brought up Manny's criminal past, some of which was news to me.
Speaker 10: Defendant veter impersonated a New York telephone company employee by wearing a hard hat with a Nightail logo, stole two night Tail telephone enclosures, and had in his possession night Tel traffic cones, and was prosecuted for a Class E felony in connection with such stolen property. In Suffolk County, resulting in criminal conviction. Defendant Veter is also the subject of a proceeding brought by the Attorney General of the State of New York arising out of Concers One were complaints of fraud in excess of one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Between my father's criminal past and the insurmountable amount of evidence against him, things did not look good, but his lawyer began saying that the entire seizure at my house was unlawful and never should have happened. If he could prove it, it would get the case thrown out.
Speaker 12: They had no basis to seek a seizure order. A seizure order is reserved for counterfeiters. This case has no counterfeit goods. They knew that mister Veder had been purchasing equipment directly from AT and T for many years.
Speaker 7: The law is very clear, I'm very familiar with it.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately for my father, the judge found the seizure to be completely compliant with the law and declared all the evidence admissible. Meanwhile, the whole time this trial was going on, my father's payphone business, Payphone Plus, was still operational. He was running all over New York, installing payphones and making collections. One of the places he had business was at a mobbed up strip club in Rego Park, Queen's named Wiggles.
Speaker 4: These are made mafia guys, and every time we would enter, Manny was greeted warmly. He would hang out, they would catch up, they would talk, they would joke.
Speaker 2: It made me uncomfortable with the owner. There was like his owner guys, and he was real. He was just like Sketchy.
Speaker 1: That sketchy owner was Vinnie Palermo, also known as Vinnie Ocean, who at the time was the boss of the New Jersey Decavalcanti crime family. It said that Vinnie was the inspiration for Tony Soprano. In nineteen ninety nine, Vinnie Palermo became a government witness after confessing to two murders and implicating several Decavalcanti family members of various crimes. He's currently in the witness protection program living under an assumed name.
Speaker 4: Manny had said that those guys had offer to find the lawyers for AT and T and put them in their fridge, their walk in fridge, and Manny had turned them down. And so as we're talking to you, know we're laughing, but also like, oh my god, something bad's going to happen. This is dangerous. And he went on to say that they have like an eternal devotion to him because one time he was putting in a payphone plus payphone in one of their establishments and that he found taps. He found that they were actually being spied on in their office, and he was able to take those out and also inform them that they were wire taps. And so he's like a hero in this circle.
Speaker 1: Knowing my father, he put those wiretaps on the phone himself and then told those guys he found them. That's exactly how his brain works. Meanwhile, around the same time, the AT and T lawyers started to complain to the judge about getting harassed outside of the courtroom.
Speaker 10: There has been a harassment of counsel in the manner of hang up type phone calls. They still pick sure he took of me because somebody was talking me when I was in a supermarket having nothing to do with this case. This is all part and parcel we believe on the defendant's tactic, which started with removing.
Speaker 11: The valve of my tire from the word go, they continued to hurrow accusations at mister Veeder without a single shred of evidence.
Speaker 7: Mister Burke, as I tell some criminal defendants when they are before me, sometimes the suspicion keeps growing and growing about an activity of somebody and harassment of witnesses or obstruction.
Speaker 11: You're drawing an analogy between the defendant who's had his house invaded and a bunch of other baseless.
Speaker 7: I'm tired of hearing that as an excuse for your client's alleged conduct. If he didn't do it, then there's no need to make an excuse, is there There is no excuse? Good.
Speaker 1: It wasn't only my father who was playing dirty. So were the AT and T lawyers. They began talking to his customers, making sure they all knew he was a fraud.
Speaker 11: I've been informed that certain customers, due to contacts from AT and T, are just shutting down mister Veeter's phones. They're putting out of order signs on them. They would love to drag this case out for a few more months, because by then mister Veeter will probably be out.
Speaker 10: Of business, Your honor, He doesn't abide by his own agreement, and he does not listen.
Speaker 5: To the court order.
Speaker 1: Things were getting pretty serious for my father and he was hoping to gain some leniency. I know this because inside the massive stack of court documents I found a letter he sent to the judge. Dear Judge Platt, I write this letter to you on behalf of my wife, Sherry and myself, Manny Veter. Since the onslaught of this case, which began to unfold in your courtroom in October nineteen ninety four, our lives have been turned inside out, not by chance, but by the design of one of America's largest corporations. Their actions have taken an extreme financial, mental, and physical toll on my family as well as myself. To date, we have spent twenty thousand dollars defending this suit. The money has been borrowed to pay our attorneys in hope of a speedy resolution, but our combined family income for the year was less than fifty five thousand dollars. I have to support a family of five. My attorney has advised me that he would like me to release him at this point from this litigation because I have not been able to borrow or come up with any additional money at this time to continue to pay for legal costs. Chief Judge Platt, I must see you as soon as possible. It is of the utmost urgency that you were made aware of certain pressures that are being put to us by certain parties. Sign Manny Veter, did you talk with my dad while the trial was going on, specifically about the things they took during the raid?
Speaker 5: I said, you know where it went or something's that effect we were talking about. I'm sure they have it in some warehouse somewhere. They're going through the files. I think he mentioned, ooh, they took all sorts of sports memory, which I guess had to have been related because the timing is right for I believe your your fake Sports Illustrated Kids reporter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was the exact same time we were pretending to work for Sports Illustrated for Kids that the Marshalls raided our house.
Speaker 5: Right, So when your dad was sharing that this happened, I could tell that he was kind of taken aback. I think he truly was sorry, not necessarily about what he'd done, but how far he'd carried it, because I think he saw that there was real potential for significant either financial loss or criminal charges. But I could tell he was vulnerable at the time. And then down the road as I'd speaking, I say, hey, did this ever get resolved? And I remember one discussion where he said, you wouldn't believe what happened. You know, I told you that they took all this personal stuff from me.
Speaker 2: I said yeah.
Speaker 5: He says, well, I had it in a warehouse, and somehow the warehouse was broken into and a whole bunch of stuff was taken, including everything that I had, and now I can't get back my personal stuff.
Speaker 1: Improved my innocence, that's right. Mysteriously, a large amount of evidence that was seized from my house and was set to be used against my father and court went missing.
Speaker 7: During the overnight period. It is my understanding that some of this material disappeared.
Speaker 5: That is correct, your honor.
Speaker 10: Mister Veda broke into the secured AT and T facility and stole twenty boxes of documents.
Speaker 11: Mister Veet denies any involvement in the alleged theft, Your honor, This is another baseless allegation. This alleged theft took place at a secured AT and T facility surrounded by gates guarded by armed security personnel. Twenty four hours a day and is monitored by security cameras.
Speaker 7: Must have looked like a real Hollywood scene. I think it's very fitting after the Academy Awards last night.
Speaker 1: Amazingly enough, on this day, March twenty eighth, nineteen ninety five, as my dad sat in court being accused of masterminding a break in to steal evidence compiled against him, is also the same day he and I would be going to Madison Square Garden to meet Michael Jordan.
Speaker 7: He hadn't work. Let me take it one step further. I think AT and T's violation of the seizure order is so egregious here that I'm going to have to order an immediate return of everything everything that was seized.
Speaker 1: This was huge. What the judge said was regardless of how the evidence went missing, AT and T mishandled it when it was in their possession. So because someone broke into the evidence locker, the judge ruled all the remaining evidence to be inadmissible and had to be returned to my father, which essentially meant the prosecution now had nothing to go on. So the judge ordered that AT and T's entire case be dropped. If you had a guess how that evidence became missing. Would you put it past them?
Speaker 5: I can tell you with eighty percent certainty, you took it.
Speaker 1: That's It's one of those things where it's not out of the ordinary for him to figure out a way to get himself out of a situation. I mean, he drove a Caprice, an undercover cop car. He always was very familiar with the police department.
Speaker 5: It's a hard thing to speculate if he was involved in it, but it was just a very good piece of luck for him that they couldn't bring the case forward because the stuff was missing, and now there was, from what he told me, a countersuit that he had initiated.
Speaker 1: That's right, Mandy could have said, I won, this is over. I can now go on with my life. But that's not my father's style. Instead, he filed a countersuit against AT and T for failing to keep a detailed inventory of the item seized. My father claimed he was now missing World War Two medals belonging to my grandfather and an autograph collection belonging to me. Now I don't know about those medals, but as for those autographs, I know for a fact that was a lie, because all the sports memorabilia was kept in my bedroom, and everything was still there in the end, regardless of what was true or not. On April eighteenth, nineteen ninety five, AT and T settled the countersuit with my father for an undisclosed amount. So in one way, my father won, but he also lost because his battle in court with AT and T was a breaking point for my family, especially me. After years of sneaking into games at MSG, dodging calls from furniture customers he'd ripped off, wrecking competitors' payphones, I had enough. Every interaction with my father was wrapped up in schemes and lies, and I was done. The last time I saw him, I was fifteen, My parents were separated, and he'd come to one of my hockey games with my dog, Kobe. I asked when I could have my dog back, and he said, when your mother gives me what I need in the divorce. That was twenty four years ago. It's the last time I saw my dog or my father. Do you know where he lives or where you think he lives.
Speaker 5: No idea where he lives. Don't have a phone number, an email address, and I haven't even been tempted to google him.
Speaker 1: What do you think my dad's reaction would be to me reaching out?
Speaker 5: Honestly, your dad would welcome your reaching out. But it's my bias that's telling you this. It's my bias as a father, saying that I know things have been bad. I know I've screwed up. I wish I could somewhat get things back. If you were to reach out, he could respond in any number of ways. He might feel vindicated and then slam the door, say ha, he finally realized what a good guy was, but no interest any longer. Or he might say, hmm, this is an opportunity for me. What I can see is that he used to love taking you to games. Now how he got you to those games might have been different than how you'll take Sullivan to see NHL games or NBA games, or go to the mayor's mansion. But the joy that you're gonna have with Sullivan is the joy he had with you. This is your story, and you're going to have to decide what the next path is, what the direction you're gonna take is.
Speaker 1: On the next episode of Number One, Dad in.
Speaker 5: One thousand Feet turn right onto Darlington Avenue.
Speaker 1: I am on my way to Long Island once again. And the reason is because it's been two weeks since I started this thing and I still haven't heard back from my dad after leaving a message on what may or may not be his answer machine. I guess you could add that to the twenty four years he and I haven't spoken. So, using my best judgment, I've decided I'm going to do a stake out of my child at home. Number one Dad is a production of Radio Point, Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts, created and hosted by Gary Veter. Executive producers are Gary Veeter, Adam Lowett, Alex Bach, Daniel Powell, Huston Snyder, Kenneth Slotnik, and Brian Stern. Written by Gary Veeter and Adam Lowett, Produced by Bernie Kaminsky. Co producer is Taylor Kowalski, Edited and mix by Ian Sorrentino at Little Bear Audio Recording Engineer is kat Iosa. Original music by Andrew Gross Special thanks to Charlotte DeAnda. Jonathan karsh Is creative consultant. Executive producers for Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts are Will Farrell, Hans Sonni and Olivia Aguilar. Sound services were provided by Great City posts