Speaker 1: What's up? And welcome back to another episode of No Sealers Podcast with your host. Now, fuck that with your load glasses, Malone, that nigga hate that nigga, Bro. The crazy part is you got off thinking like you was telling like you was being funny, like really in the writer wrote that right like Metro gonna make some fucking drums nigga Like, now, this nigga probably gonna end up with the hottest song of the whole battle.
Speaker 2: Got all type of niggas saying, gay, do y'all think I'm gonna pay you?
Speaker 1: It's gonna be hard to top. Not like us, but BBO Drizzy is right there, dog.
Speaker 2: Nigger that ship everywhere.
Speaker 3: Man. I'm gonna tell you something. My mama like Brizzy, She said, have you heard this song bbl Drizzy? What is that about? I kind of like that er mom is something old school and that's my mom. My mom siventy some years old. Bro.
Speaker 2: They know what they deal with that. She feel it. That's fair enough.
Speaker 3: Not knowing on Drake. Then when I told she said, why don't they leave that little white boy along? He lost tough like that? And I said, Mama, she said, what is bullying him.
Speaker 2: You know it's crazy, bro. You know it's funny because how narratives could change on the Internet. But for whatever reason why it ain't just because you popular that people feel this way, Like it's something behind the scenes that you you you get out a certain way.
Speaker 3: Man, he's bepldre.
Speaker 1: You know what it is, bro, So okay, let me explain this. It still could relate. Still know Becauld still been in the business. It's it's a it's a it's an idea going around like everybody hates Drake and that's not true. Drake and Lebron James are the same people. They don't really have enough season into where you could dislike them. Like they pretty much standard and excellent in their fields, you know what I mean. They are spectacular talents in their fields, respectfully, but their audience fucks their head up because they audience start to go so hard and then anytime you start to challenge it, right then they push back harder and hence now you start looking like you want the demise of a specific figure that really you don't care about. And Drake is in that same space to where it's like Drake is actually a really cool dude. Bro, he's a cool dude. It's sad he lost the battle, but he's a really cool dude. Don't nobody want anything bad to happen to Drake, Like I notice his house got shot up or the security guard got shot up, which is ironic because somebody that Ovo is kind of having little issues with. They house got shot up, and in Seno, same exact happen is ironically a security guard got shot and it seen like a week and a half ago, you know, some Canadian folks, and then now a security guard at Drake's compound gets shot. So you know, they got a lot of you.
Speaker 3: Know, we're nice man.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: Every Canadian person I know is super nice man. Hip hop got these boys from Canada now acting tough.
Speaker 1: And it's funny because none of them are from the ghetto, because like Toronto got a ghetto, Vancouver got a ghetto, Montreal got a ghetto. But none of these dudes y'all from the ghetto.
Speaker 4: You know what I think some of it is is what I've heard a lot of the island people from down there went up from the Islands to Canada because they had backgrounds that couldn't clear the United States. But they could clear Canada. So if you were with the ship in the Islands, you have to go to Canada. If you had aspirations that come to the United States, and lot of them just stayed there.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, So why do they make it so hard for people from the States to get over there? If they letting somebody from the island come over there with even the worst background.
Speaker 3: Like you still have some oil and criminals.
Speaker 5: These old coons over here we get I don't know, I don't know how hard it is to go for Canada. Don't think you can, Okay, okay, don't talk over each other because everything is gonna be fucked up.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's hard as fuck to get into Canada, Pete, like from here.
Speaker 6: Well now, but I'm talking like you know, years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm talking about like in that lay two thousand early two thousand teens, they was giving me ship because my mom went to prison, because my mom was in prison at the time.
Speaker 6: M hmm. Yeah, I'm talking like before that.
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't know it because for a while until like I don't know when when to be close to the bord because for a long time it was just an open border.
Speaker 6: It was an un marked. It was a marked it was like an un guarded open border, and then after several years of thousand eleven that changed.
Speaker 1: So how do you how victorious do you guys feel have to this triumphant win by Kat and this and this my your mental battle.
Speaker 2: You know what, bro? Uh, I ain't gonna lie. I've been riding pretty hard, you know what I'm saying for the home team. But the more the more I start the Internet, I ain't gonna lie. The Internet start making me feel sorry for the nigga Man, what what do you feel doing, Kendrick? I mean for uh Drake Dog because the memes, like it's so much shit on the internet to where it's like the memes like from shows and ship matching up too, Like its just it's like it makes sense, bro, you know what I'm saying, Like Nigga and you know, got scenes in the grass seat where he had gay porn and a locker and they're putting all the sad music behind it, and you know it's just seemed like he just getting his ass whoop from every angle. But then the people that's delusional, his fans acting like he ain't he getting his ass whoop? Where he didn't lose the battle. Sometime it make you feel like, you know what, Yeah, you boy got his ass whip man.
Speaker 3: Man, you cann tell you something. And this is me being real. I don't feel sorry for Drake. It's a fucking rep battle. He need to pull his drawers up, man, and gonna keep stepping that way. He got plenty of money and he's gonna continue to get opportunities.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I will say that the pedophile stuff we will probably be a little damaging to him, but he's gonna continue on, dude. And the way this news cycle lives, people gonna be onto some other mischief in two weeks, dog, So he could be all right. I really hope, but I don't happen, man. I hope this dude don't get so caught up in character man that he gona really fuck his career off by doing some dumb shit.
Speaker 2: You know what else? I realized too, that he got his ass whooping two battles for mentioning somebody wife.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. This isna turned out well for him. Dog, it doesn't, so I follows him. If I knew every time I confronted a certain issue, Dog, I always go face resistance impossible, even get embarrassed. I would leave that issue Alan Dog Like Drank is bringing this on hisself. Nobody asked him to go out there and play. You know, he he's too caught up in character because y'all know that dude as actor as well. Right, he's caught up in character. So Frank is really the real life I have been Drago, Slash Bishop and Juice. He has him now Dog and he really he's starting to really feel like, like when ever since he said don't let me catch your body? What was the songs that don't let me catch your body right now? What was that shit sheep?
Speaker 1: Oh you gonna makee me catch your body right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, ever since he said that, it seemed like he been kind of tripping man and he probably taking karate here taking some shooting.
Speaker 2: Listens.
Speaker 3: Now, I feel like I can really go be a gangster if I wanted to. These guys aren't as tough as me, They're not smarter than me.
Speaker 1: I would like to believe money fucks people head up, because without of doubt, money gives you the ability to command people, right, and because it's one thing even being a wealthy person, you know, to actually go out and commit a crime, you know, a real crime, because it takes a different goal to do it. But money allows you to be It's easy, it's simple, you know what I'm saying. You could just say, hey, I got this amount of money and something violent could happen to somebody. But I was telling Mac ten this, I'm like money. Yes, we watched Takashi six nine command people in the streets, you know, people that come from poor backgrounds just like him, because he can offer them money for them to pay, you know, a rent for four months, five months, you know what I'm saying, or buy a car, or you know, get jury or anything. We watched him able to command a real army, you know, to some degree in New York just because he had money. But I told Mac, the issue is really being a gangster more than anything. Dog is being okay with going to jail, like that's the catch. And I told Mac, Yeah, it's possible he got some money, you know what I mean. Maybe he'll spend some money and he could make something happen to somebody, But that's not what you gotta consider. When you get money. You gotta consider are you willing to go to jail. That's the big ultimate decision. Like when I first got put on the set, I really didn't want a gang bang because I was like, eh, I don't really need it, Like I always kind of I looked at it like people would try to join gangs because they needed back up, and I didn't need backup, you know what I'm saying. But I didn't think I would be good at it because everybody that was involved was you know, people that dropped out of school, people who didn't get good grades in school. They were almost the opposite of me. I didn't realize I would be good at gang banging or really take that step until I went to jail and realized I was gonna be all right. Like I started fighting everybody. I was winning nine out of the ten fights, you know what I mean. I was hell it Like I was able to impose my will on the system at that point, you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong. It was batter people that can kick my ass, but every situation I was able to come out on top. And when I came home from jail, you know what I mean, it was over. You know what I mean, Because then now if you're not worried about going to jail. Guess what you gonna carry? Pistols. I wouldn't register my cars, I wouldn't fix tickets. I wouldn't go to the court on tickets because I didn't care about going to jail. I didn't realize it was over for me as a daily gang member until the day I went to jail the last time, and jail felt like jail.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: That wasn't about the people trying to fight me for me, but it was just about like, damn, like I'm in jail. At first, it was always a party, all eight, nine, ten eleve mother times, it was a party. I go in there till I wish some homies, you fee me, blah blah blah, fight the case, you know, beat up a nigga, you know what I mean, build up my reputation. It made sense. But the last time that was it so to me. That's what Drake really has to ask him. So he got to say, Okay, you know, I'm playing it a little close. I'm all, okay, we're going to jail, no seilings. Guo Peter in the house doing what we do. I got my big brother, Big Steal gangst The Chronicles we decided we was gonna put in a lot of work on this special episode and no seilings West Coast Wednesday, I brought Little Broke Joey west Side with me, you feel me, one half of the La Giants, and we get to talk some hip hop and this current battle which looks like it's probably the biggest battle in the history of rap music, you know what I mean. So even though Drake is not in hip hop, he very much is a part of rap music, so it becomes the biggest battle in rap music history. Sure, so do we all openly agree on this? You know on this on this podcast that pretty much Kendrick Lamoar I won the battle, right, Kate, I won the battle? I would say, So, Okay, Still, if you had to pick a place that you thought Drake went wrong, where did he go wrong?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 3: I think he went wrong by mixing Kadot's family, and you know, by mixing this family, not only that, by him confusion confusing with California. Exactly what West California West Los Angeles to people fear because just because you hang out in Hollywood and the Valley and all that stuff, you're not really in Los Angeles at that point.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, you're in the city of Los Angeles, but you're not in the Los Angeles that we come.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's almost like me going to Glendale and having my cameraman out there and finding the Seventh Street in Glendale alone. I'm in some on seventh Street. Where are you at? I'm here, See, I'm walking off through it, and you just talking shit pumping. A whole bunch of you, just random innocent people is looking at you like you're crazy. Because California on the whole is a very nice place, a great place, great place. You know, it's a beautiful place. But it's when you get off the one, ten and one on five free ways in between the four or five, one o five, not even one in six on five wall of bullshit is going on, you might find out. Man this scene. You know, we're no longer in Disneyland.
Speaker 1: So you felt he just approached it. He thought, you thought that because he been out here and he been getting some love, he felt more like he had the hardest soul of the city as much as Dot did.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and then exactly, and I'm gonna tell you this too. When he started mentioning Top's name and just service things. He just became more brazen than his efforts. And I think he thought in his mind that since Doc wasn't signed to TDE anymore, the Dons just out here just without no protection, no more. And this is not by itself, but we know Doc got goons. That Doc got some monsters. Whereas the kids call it, do's got some Doc got some demons on his teams. You know he got you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Sure, Joey, Where do you think Drake went wrong in this battle?
Speaker 2: I would agree with the whole mentioning his wife thing and the actually so this, since were talking about the same record, a whole.
Speaker 1: Battle, where did you think he went wrong?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Where did it go off?
Speaker 2: Always you don't matter like where it began?
Speaker 1: That just was like he might have sucked up This was if Okay, obviously Dodd is the hummy, right and the niggas fuck with that, But if you were Drake and you had to assess it from Drake, where do you think he's zigged when he should.
Speaker 2: Leaking that record? When he leaked that record, it seemed like he wasn't really as to me, it came off as like you wasn't confident in your approach, which one push up?
Speaker 1: Oh, so you're saying when he first even responded like it.
Speaker 2: Seemed like you was already you wasn't really confident in in in your squabble, and it just seemed to be it seemed like Kate I was being underestimated too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would say so to Drake was like, and Drake's side, Yeah, No, the way Matt ten told me that he no, not Max, somebody else, Oh, Van told me Van Latha said he was like glasses.
Speaker 1: I think this nigga thought Kate I was scared of him.
Speaker 2: No, for real. And you know what too, Drake being so I don't understand how people don't. It seemed like people didn't understand how big of a star Kendrick was. It was it was I'm like, dude, this dude is a star. This is not This is not Joe Budden and push your tea in respect to them, but this is different.
Speaker 1: Even he can push your tee. Brought him his.
Speaker 2: Hat exactly, but he did. You know what I'm saying. But it seemed like the way he was able to brush push your tea off, you can always go like, you know, I don't want to give him that and give him there because I'm I'm like, I look at Kendrick and uh yeah, Drake, you know, being a popular artist. But I always, I mean, I really look at Kendrick like nigga, He's like eye level with you, bro. Y'all the same to me from the popularity.
Speaker 3: Beat a lot. I think he kept beating the same horse. It was funny the first time him mentioned Don's height and his you know, Dolla is not the biggest motherfucker in the world. He's really if you look at him and don't know you know him, He's kind of a diminutive guy. You know what I'm saying. He's not really that big or whatever, you know, as a nice.
Speaker 2: Demeanor to him.
Speaker 1: But he's not no pump motherfucker Loki, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And he's an extra petty ass dude. So he gonna go in on.
Speaker 1: He got a thousand jokes and he has no problem unloading the motherfucker's on you what is going down?
Speaker 2: And that's what he did when not like Us, that's when the funny nigga not like us sound like a straight funny ass song. Bro.
Speaker 1: But that's the first dot that I know yeah, like with with just.
Speaker 2: Skid, Like the nigga literally was whooping his ass the old record until it went off from chats, hooks, bars, vocal inflections, you know, just comedy Like I'm like, damn bro like y'all, you know what I mean. And I've seen him.
Speaker 3: He got at his own game, drinking his own game. Rather he actually beat him because rem brother told you g I said, all Drake has to do is come out with one of them singing ass records, a big ass record, and all these little girls gonna flood the internet talk about why he's the best guy in the world. And it's gonna be over with because how do you respond to some ship like that? If he the onoman there talking about piece of Love. I think where Kendrick wore him. Kendrick actually wore him down with apathy for his wife, like he was talking to his son, talking to his mom like he's just not a good dude, like you know, your dadd's a piece of shit. Pretty much, I'll be a winter because you're not gonna learn ships from this dude. He's pretty much a bad person. And I think that I think Bothy, Charla Maaine say this fool has made the first me to battle rep.
Speaker 1: So Pete, where did Hendrick get it right at?
Speaker 6: I like my view of the situation where wor did he get right?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Where did Kendrick get it right at? He was like he got that right?
Speaker 4: He he I think I just viewed what he did as a constant, like he was gonna do that. You know, he's wired for that. He's a little bit more vindictive. He's got a little bit more you know, pissed vinegar to him, so that was going to happen. I don't think it was his to win. I think it was Drake's to lose. I think that his I think the Drake's fame more so. He has a gravitational pull of it distills his surroundings into just purely like fan type support yes men echo chamber. So he thinks wherever he goes, whatever he does, is the greatest thing in the universe, and it manipulates his view of reality. It was a mistake for him to engage because he's a jovial, nice, funny, whatever kind of guy. He's gonna get you with the little roast joke, and this other guy's gonna come through and really like, yes.
Speaker 2: You know what he is.
Speaker 4: You say he's like Lebron, I don't. I think he's a lot like Kobe. Kobe wants to win the game on the floor, whereas like Michael, Well, I think you could push Michael Jordan into following you out and jumping you in the parking lot. I don't think you could get Kobe to do that, you know what I mean? There was a little bit of more personal outside of the framework of the game hatred that existed, and Michael didn't exist in Kobe. He was just extraordinarily competitive basketball, right, And I think that there was a line there where Drake's like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm a cool rapper, I got cool lines.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get this guy in the within the square circle. This other guy's like, I just fucking don't like you, and I'm gonna light you up inside or out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like he made it more about Drake, like the Kendrick approached it, like he didn't really care what the fans think, Like, I'm talking to you, bro, Well, everything I own is it's you. Bro.
Speaker 3: He attacked this character.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what's funny. My thoughts on it is he almost did him like a like like he hypnotized him, like I always coming into this battle, I remember telling Joey, telling DoD, telling everybody, Yo, you gotta stay the coach. You gotta stay the culture, right, you gotta stay true to the culture, like you gotta stay true to it. Like the thing about this battle, I always felt if God stayed true culturally, it was gonna be fine when lose a draw. But Drake had to stay true to record making, like that's the trick. And somewhere along the line, Dot hypnotized him and turned him into just a rapper instead of him being this massive you know, his greatest strength is his ability to make a great record, you know what I mean? You hook, you know you hear you like damn. You know, like when you listening to Back to Back, it's not really like this harsh disk as much as it's this witty disch that is headche and you like, this motherfucker is the shit, And that's Dods. I mean, that's Drake's strength. Drake is one of the greatest record writers and one of the as far as rap music goes. You know, nobody else has as many number one records, you know what I mean, And he's able to do things as a record maker that works. And in this battle we end up with one record out of five and five they put out five apiece. What is it for Kendrick is it's the first one future right, which is uh like that. Then you have Euphoria, then you have six sixteen, then you have meet the Grands, and then you have uh like. So that's two records in there, not like us and like that Drake puts out right. He puts out push Ups, which is the best record of his battle catalog. On this battle he had push Ups. He had uh that the really bad tupacs on.
Speaker 2: That was a mistake.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a good idea, it was, yeah, it was you know what I mean. The idea was fancy, you know what I mean. But the record was bad. It wasn't good. You didn't hear it and find it catching, you know what I mean? Is it called Taylor Man, Taylor Made? Taylor Made is a bad record. Family Matters is a bad record right.
Speaker 3: Now about family Matters?
Speaker 1: I know. But just listen, he's rapping. I'm not saying he's not snapping on the motherfucker. I'm not saying he did have a great selection to beat, but at that point, it became euphoria, it became switching upbeat.
Speaker 2: He's rapping a.
Speaker 1: Bunch of bars. Don' let me wrong. He got some catchy k this is where your pocket. But it's not a record that you're gonna play. It's not a smash record. And if your strength is making great records, how the fuck are you only in this battle one record?
Speaker 3: Well, I think what happened bro, with all honesty, I think he got so caught up. And as much as because he's a bigger artist than Ko. You know, he's a he's a bigger artist than k Out. You know, if that's season, he's that season a thing. But I think he got caught up in I'm gonna show everybody I can wrap and I'm gonna do what he does. And they just didn't come off and thrown and Doc kind of said, you know what, I'm gonna do what you do. I'ma go in there and make a hit record and I'm gonna clown you wanna hit record that's gonna become an anthem for the whole coast. And he just looks so big because it was almost like one of those movie moments, like you know you have that movie moment to wear one of the guy that's the local hero is when the marathon and everybody in the city is just like rallying around him, from the bodega to the barbershop. It was like that. When it's like that came up. You saw everybody in the West coast happy, everybody in the Midwest, everybody in the South. It was kind of like one man has took him down an evil empire. That's why I said, Drake is iPhone dragor he the dude with all the fancy shit around in the room for the writers. Like when Roth said that this dude got somebody writing his captions. I can see everybody just around Drake. I can see a white woman follow him. So Drake, I have the guys upstairs. They think you say this, tweet this right now, here's this pic. H. I have some information right now Freeey is supposed to have you know, yeah, I got that. We go the boos, then yes, the reference track of reading and he going or they might not even make it. We have time to put that. You have points on it and just set the shit out there.
Speaker 1: So analytics, so push ups. Taylor made family Matters. What was his other song, the last song, the Heart, the Heart, the Heart, the heartbreak. They call it the Heart the Heart fed right, So it's like through all of that, you only get one record from Drake. You only get one. You're the best record writer in rap music. And even if you're not the best writer record writer rap music, because you have writers, you have the best records in rap music as far as achievements when it comes to charting and before on the charts. So why would you not cater to your strengths. It's like a person who's in a boxing ring that don't have good foot movement, they have great jabs, not using the jab and trying to show somebody I could fight. You know what it's like the first time Sugar Ray Leonard fought Duran. Instead of Sugar Ray Leonard going in the ring being Sugar Ray Leonard moving his feet, dancing around making it hard for Duran, who didn't have the same type of feet, you know what I'm saying. Instead of doing that, he said, I'm gonna meet you in the middle of the ring and fight you mono imano, and it cast Sugar Ray Leonard his first loss because he didn't fight his fight. And I don't think Doc ever really went out his way to make a record. I think God's what came to him naturally when it came to the culture is sound wave records. Right, he did the Favor for Future in Metro like that, right, that's just a joint. He comes back right when he does you for It, that's a sound wave record. He does a record, the six sixteen is a sound wave record, right, And then you have the record with Meet the Grahams. That's an Alchemist record, and then you come with a Mustard record. He stayed the culture and it just happened to produce records. I don't think he went in there like, hey, I'm finna write a hook. I think he went in there to make a great you know, a great Katot song, and this is what you came up with. And I think Drake didn't go in to make great Drake records. I think he went in there to try to confront katout in front of the world. And that's not how you do this, especially in a battle. You have to play to your strips.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. Do you think that the whole you on a clock concept affected the whole record making then, because now you you battling the internet, and you you know, because records take a little more time.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Kenjick already known for taking his time and giving you quality, you know what I'm saying. But at the same time, making records take time, and now you're on this clock, so you might be rushing ideas out more so to take your time to making records. Because you're right. If Drake would have went approached it with five.
Speaker 1: Push ups, it been been five.
Speaker 2: It's all.
Speaker 1: It's hard to beat Drake doing what he did.
Speaker 2: He rams wasn't like a song. He like, no, I'm fit to get you with substance and just creativity and my storytelling skills, and I'm gonna do me. I would like you said, we're trying to make.
Speaker 1: So every every song he did that, every like here it was.
Speaker 2: It was crafted like he didn't.
Speaker 1: He didn't. He didn't go in to make any records. He went in to do what ka Dot does overbeat and then he ended up with a record. Drake went in to do what ka Dot does. He didn't go in to do what Drake is strong at. Drake is again, like I said, one of the best record makers in the business. You know what I'm saying, But how do you only end up? Would push ups?
Speaker 3: Well, you know what? And then if you look at push ups Geene, he really tried to mimic that. What it was. He was trying to make a mock read of Kate that with his own ship, right, like, I'm gonna murder you in your own style. Right if you remember, what was the one album that.
Speaker 6: His ego, his own ego killed him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, hold on, hold on, hold on, still hold that through? What do you mean it's ego killed him?
Speaker 6: He thought so highly of himself that he didn't need to fight on the on his own strength. I can beat you with any style. I'll go and fight. I'll go fight Russia and Leningrad in December out of that.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm going to Buffalo in January or or yes or December, and I'll play you there when really you're the Raiders, Jack, when really you're the Dolphins. Mm hmm, go ahead, I'm sorry. Still, I didn't mean to cut you off.
Speaker 3: So what was the when Dot had the DJ? I think it might have been Kid Can Pray like kind of remaking a mixtapes. Damn, he tried to do that he kind of did that on push ups. You know it's this new train. Oh and it was. It was kind of dope. I caught that push up. When I first heard push ups, I called you and what did I say, G I said, fucking rapping right now, it's gonna be an issue. This motherfucker not playing. Then I heard the next Then I heard what Doc came back with.
Speaker 1: I said, okay, well, remember remember to me, he fucked up. I'm gonna let you get to your point, but remember he fucked up after push ups and dropped Taylor made which became more of a talking point and not a great record. It became liked.
Speaker 3: He could have rested on push ups for a little bit. Right they came with I would have rather came with three strong records and five then one dope record and three just whatever, because ain't let's get this straight for the people out there, because we not haters. None of them songs Drake made was whack and comparis is kind of trash, but anything else, it's probably better than a lot of people's best ship to do. We're gonna make, you know what I'm saying. We talking about two of the best in the world in the universe right now, as far as you know, as far as this ship we call hip.
Speaker 1: Hop go, well not hip hop, as far as rapping.
Speaker 3: Goes, as far as rap music goes, Yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying, though, sure make sure I separate.
Speaker 3: Had phenomenal careers to the point where neither one of them never put out a record again. They were both going to Hall.
Speaker 1: Of Fame, first ballance, first ballot, the first.
Speaker 3: Ballot, Hall of Famers. They ain't gotta they ain't gotta do nothing else. Anything that they do now at this point, it's pretty much for their love of the culture or whatever they want to get out of this thing, you know, financially or you know, rewards, Because to be honest with you, meeting knowing Kup, he didn't give a fuck about none of that. This is probably this is probably his greatest moment in hip hop. She knowing him, knowing him, this is his greatest moment in hip hop. Not the money, not the Grammy's not she never won a rap nigga in the world.
Speaker 2: Right now. He approached this ship like the finals, and I feel like Drake approached it like a pickup game.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny, you know, he had, he had that diamond and crusted refund and you know, people was confusing it with Jesus and this really he just saved hip hop.
Speaker 3: He defended lyricism.
Speaker 1: Now he defended hip hop from pretty much. No dis respect to to Drake, but like what he represents and the type of artists he endorsed for the most part, you know, he don't really I think he cares about street urban culture as far as when he's going to tap in with culture, but he doesn't care about the true poetic expression that we all care about. Even though he's such a phenomenal lyricist, you know what I mean, he don't. He don't surround himself with the greatest lyricisms all the time. Now, he much respect to him because I think he does a great job of going to the ghetto and getting with the seasoning, you know what I mean, for sure, but he represents, uh, like I said, an issue that's been boiling and hip hop this whole time, where it's like, you know, you get Jack Harlowe because of him, you start to invest money into everybody else but ghetto kids. Because of what Drake represents, you know what I mean. So for doctor come and stand up for hip hop, you know what I mean, and not really shy away from the challenge, you know, take it at his hardest points, and be willing to get dirty as you needed to to come out with the victory, you know what I mean, to get as dirty as you needed to to come out with the victory. Like he like, I know he was bothered when you know, you know they started lying talking about his kid is not his kid. That that's a hard thing to tell a man. And somebody like me, no, lie, I would have went into another level like I'm finna shoot up these niggas houses. I'm not finna be rapping no more than you niggas playing with my kids and talking about like you. My kids could hear this and it could be you know, ramifications. And for him to say, like, Yo, I'm gonna take off the gloves, then this is what we're doing. Like if I gotta get dirty for hip hop, I'm gonna take these gloves off, We're gonna get busy. And for him to do whatever it took to make sure to go to any level that it took to win this fight, you know what I'm saying was important for hip hop, for the soul of hip hop. I think I think he just bought us. I think he just bought hip hop in extra three or four years.
Speaker 3: Well, I tell you this, I stopped enjoying it really when he started talking about Dave Free and you know, an a legend affair with his wife because for those that know Dog Dave Free and running against the statements little kids.
Speaker 1: Dog and Dave just Dave ain't even look. I think Dave could be some ship, I would imagine, but they ain't like that. And do would put that nigga under a car for sure, that's not even that's not even.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have thought he was smarter than that, bro. But that's that. And that once again helped kendrick narrative fit like he Drake kept showing how culturally unaware he was in his battle.
Speaker 1: You know what, that's a great point. Certain lines. He showed he was culturally unaware.
Speaker 3: He was free to slaves.
Speaker 1: That was just a bad boy.
Speaker 3: That was just bad what black men say ship like that.
Speaker 1: But again I've been saying this for years, like there's black the race and then there's Black the culture. We call it negroy, which I think they've already proven that race is not a real then they prove it wasn't real, it was it was a social construct. Pete.
Speaker 4: That is probably a matter of definition. In my personal opinion, I think that that.
Speaker 1: Correct. So, but I think the conference, I've been watching people throughout this battle, you know, bring up the fact Drake is LFE skinned, or Drake is his his mother is a white woman. Listen, if one of your parents in America is black, you're black right now. We think that we know that now. I think white people know that because they not gonna treat you like a white person. But again, I don't think this is a converse. It's never been a conversation about race. It's hip hop is about street, urban co This has always been a cultural conversation. And that's to Joey's point of he kept making Drake prove he was culturally he kept showing how culturally ignorant Drake was throughout this battle.
Speaker 2: All throughout it, all throughout it, he's telling them, he letting them know, he's saying it. Even on the last song when he's saying, like you keep trying to change the narrative like look, he like, look, the public is not slow. Drake relaxed. They you can try to create whatever you want. They not slow, they not dumb, and he just kept doing it. He kept doing it even with the last record he put out. You know what I'm saying to where if people wanted Drake to win so much that they was acting like he didn't say what he said in the song.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, listen, people want to align themselves with winners because they're not winning in their personal life, so they want to align themselves with winners. Somebody was talking shit to me on the APP and they were saying, that's crazy. You could like the Lakers just because they're in LA. You know, I like a player, and I'm like, so you feel like the thing that they did to market sports to me?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: They said, Okay, this is your team because you live in the city of Los Angeles, right, or in the County of Los Angeles. This is your team. Here are the Lakers. You're saying I'm wrong because I'm like, Okay, I signed up for the marketing of this, and no one player is more important than the city, right, because this is the city's organization.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It's a private business, but this it represents us. If Shaq goes to fucking Miami. He no longer represents me, like it becomes just personally do I like the person? But we're in such a weird space that people really like I heard somebody talk shit about the word humble like that, Like they were on social media saying, well, I don't want to be humble, you know, because I think the word humble in humility was about, you know, overrating one's importance, and people really need to feel like they're important. And this goes back to peat point where somewhere along the line, Drake who is a master rapper, you know what I mean, and a master record maker doesn't realize hip hop, like I keep saying, this is why he's not hip hop. Hip Hop is about being master of the culture. That's the difference. It's why certain rappers Joey, I'll tell you induce all the time. It's certain rappers y'all don't like. But y'all like, why is this person winning? They are mastering the culture? See, people keep thinking this about the art expression itself, right, Oh, being the NC and having the best words. I always tell Stive w May nobody give a fuck about that lyrical miracle? Shit? Does it fit culturally what you're expressing if jay Z was just rapping a bunch of lyrical miracle and he wasn't talking about the struggles of a Glyn Dope dinner. But no, why do you fucking listen to that ship? What he fucking care about you? Because you gon rhyme a thousand words and shut the fuck up. I want a Domino home cook kid, and we don't want know domind that's how niggas be. And Drake somewhere along the line thought it was about him being the master of a punchline or the master of a good flow, not the master of the culture. What does culture and body? And that's where I think Kendrick excel at in this battle, even though it's his first battle on a private on a public platform, you know, I mean, because he understood his job is to be the culture, unapologetically, no remorse, do it the way we would do it. And that's what he did and he couldn't come out with nothing but a victory. Whereas Drake, who should have stayed to the greater side of his record making ability because that's his strength, he didn't do that consistently and ended up taking a loss, ended.
Speaker 2: Up getting his ass beat really well.
Speaker 1: He ended up losing bad towards the end. It was it was good all the way up to not like grass like it was. It was interesting, like you know, coming from coming from uh like that to push ups. It was like, Okay, this is gonna be interesting. You know what I'm saying, This is gonna be.
Speaker 2: Fumbled.
Speaker 1: He could have put a little bit more and it was such a troll effort, but it's like, we're still judging your records. So yeah, you got the people hyped up because the idea was cool.
Speaker 3: It's a cool.
Speaker 1: Kind of humors. Like but when you play now, if the record was jamming, this to be a different conversation. If you would have went more into pock flow and more in a snoop flow and it really had you a little hook and made it a jam. You know what I'm saying that maybe we like, oh this thing is this digg is bushit. This is.
Speaker 2: To your point, man, he was supposed to stick the record making.
Speaker 1: And it's funny. I keep I told y'all this, I told you this Pete a couple podcasts ago and Joey. That's a good point. His confidence was funny because That's why I'm saying he did not leak pushups the person who wrote it and used So what they did was they wrote the song. Just like you see all these the BBL drizzy songs. Somebody's writing these songs and then putting them in, you know, putting him in a different artist's voice. And so somebody wrote this idea for Drake and pish it to him in his voice. The writer leaked the song. That's why it wasn't a hell of confidence even going into the battle. Nobody, nobody even knew we would have a battle because the.
Speaker 2: Way you people don't believe that you just said, like what you just said about the whole league, and somebody pinned it. Don't nobody believe that.
Speaker 1: Well, that's because they don't know the business, so that everybody I sound crazy, But I also sound crazy because I also realized Drake has been having riders since the second and third album, you know what I mean. Like when he first came in, he knew what his journey was. He was coming to take over the rap game. He knew he was gonna do whatever it take to put Like I heard somebody arguing about how many number ones Drake got in Future needed Drake to go number one pop budgets as far as record making, Goal radio you know works and still knows it's great too. It's three different panels. Radio stations report to three different panels. They're grouped together in three different categories as far as rap records, urban panel, crossover or rhythmic panel and pop pop radio. Right, So that's if you're from LA, that's you know, we just got a new urban station back, which is the real ninety two to three. A rhythmic crossover station is Power one those six. A pop station is Kiss FM.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: An urban station somewhere between four and five thousand songs spins a week. If your song is number one all the radio stations, you can get up to four to five thousand spins a week. Being the number one for the radio. YEP, rhythmic crossover, you could get up to eight thousand spins if you're the number one song on rhythm radio. And then pop radio used to get thirteen to fifteen thousand spins. Pop budgets weren't open up to everybody else. Future couldn't get a pop budget pre him doing something with Drake, and Drake was able to get pop budgets because he figured out a way to get inside that system. So when they start spending pop radio money on you, they keep spending pop radio money on you. And that's why he had access. That's like Kendrick. Kendrick is gonna have access to number one records because a couple of songs with number one. Yeah, I mean the Taylor Swift song got him in the door, and then they was able to come back with Humble and get another number one. Now you got like that is number one because you could bind Future's ability to get to the number one and Kendrick's and now it looks like, not like us, it's going to be a number one, you think, so just fighting, it's got a good chance. They said it'll be the first rap song that debuted in five days that will be a number one. Yes, you know what I'm saying. So it's like it's like, I think that's where Drake went wrong in the battle, Like Dot was able to hypnotize him and him not knowing in him not playing to his strong suit. Just like Sugar Ray Leonard did to Duran. I mean, just like Duran did the Sugar Ray Leonard, he made him stop moving. He made him stop trying to move and fight him the way Duran wanted to fight him, and it worked out for Duran.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny, I'm trying to find that I saw something earlier, man to where in the midst of all this, they put out some random thing like Drake is going to be he's a billion, like two big streams if you're becoming the high streaming artist of all time. And I said, man, this dude always has a crisis management team on Dick all like to try to mitigate some shit.
Speaker 1: Sure, but the core, but the core of the culture is not going to let him have it no other way. That's his problem. The core of the culture is not fucking with none of that. The core of the culture is not distracted, like you took this loss, you know what I'm saying, and that's not going to change. So you know, you have a lot of people, you know, voice and opinions. But reality is, he just got his ass handed to him, and every now and then it happens. It was a good fight all the way up into which would have been the tenth round, you know what I mean, or the fifth round. You know, if it's like that, if like that And if like that and push ups is the first round, that's a great that's an all time great first round. If if Taylor and Euphoria it's the second round, that's around as easy to score for Kendrick. If if six sixteen and Taylor made that's a good round, you know what I mean for Drake. But when it became like that, it just became a knockout punch, And it didn't matter what you were saying when you got up off the ground. It didn't matter the final song that was the hard part six, It didn't matter that you trolled the title. Eventually, the record just had to be the shit. And he fell miserably. You know, he made a record mentioned and you know, trying to respond to the conversation versus making something that was a really great song, and you just happened to be talking about the person you dealing with, you know, even even listening to it when I think about it, him mentioning you know Millie Bobby Brown, Like, Bro, this nigga didn't even bring up that lady name from you know, stranger.
Speaker 2: Oh you start he starts sounding that's for.
Speaker 1: You, Yeah, you start sounding like defeated, bro.
Speaker 2: Like when you defeat and rap. It was that like Defeat wrote the rap like Nigga, you are done, bro, like you and you tire any sound like exhausty, like I'm just tying.
Speaker 3: And it's like, well he said the record, I told you want her the last record. I said, it sounds like he's conceding, so like he's saying fuck it. I was like all the conversation at the end, look, man, I know you have I'm exhausted. I know you have ten more records. This is just a waste my time at this point.
Speaker 1: That's just you know, and it's weird because he wants people to look at him as some beacon of truth and that's not your role in rap music. I mean, one thing is you're not a hip hop artist or you have no real true you know, outside of being able to benefit people from the urban street culture. You don't really have sway there. You won't redirect culture or style there. You don't have a say that. But even in just in the face of rap music, you know what I'm saying, You're not the beacon of facts. So when when you try to lean to things like referring to yourself as a war general or you want to fight somebody when there's a well documented history of you not fighting people. You know what I'm saying, Like, he just got lost, and I think it goes back to what you were saying, Pete. He was arrogant, He was Hella arrogant, and he started buying the hype. But that's also Joey why I've been saying for years, like, yo, he's not a hip hop artist, and like, as long as he keeps confusing it, he's making it hard for ghetto kids to get the opportunity because they're gonna move the money away from people from the ghetto if he's able to pass as somebody from the streets. Like this is a little dude that had a Jewish fro his whole life, you know what I mean. And then now as a forty year old man, he's wearing you know what I'm saying, braids to the back, and it's like it just it's such an appropriate it's such an appropriation of culture, and people feel like he's entitled to it because his father is a black man from Memphis. No, this guy was raised in the Jewish community, a Jewish suburb in Canada. He went to Jewish private schools, he became a child actor, and that's how he spent his life and decided he wanted to rap. Everybody rapped when they were a little kid, because rap was the main state in their time, you know what I mean. It's not like when I was little. Rap wasn't the biggest thing in the world. In the eighties, you heard Michael Jackson keep sweating shit, you didn't hear a ton of rap songs like on no mainstream outlet. Versus when you know Drake, who at this point is roughly forty years old. You know what I'm saying. That means he was born in nineteen ninety somewhere around eight, like the late eighties or like ninety I mean, so if you, I mean, if you seven eight years old, and you know, you're talking about nineteen ninety five and ninety six, the biggest records in the world or other fucking records from rap artists, hip hop artists. So everybody was into rap music at that time because it started competing, It started competing with all of the best songs in the music industry. So I'm really careful with how I give that title away, and I definitely want to make an effort to look into other people and really figure out who really is hip hop and who's not, who's using the culture.
Speaker 2: It's funny, though, because you've been making these points for a minute, man, and uh, now that it got put out there like that by someone like a Kendrick, you know what I'm saying, like a lot of people starting to agree with it. It's still getting pushed back, of course, because that's just what people want to do. People don't like to be, you know, convinced like, damn, maybe I did have this wrong. I looked at this the wrong way.
Speaker 6: And it's probably getting pushed back by people who themselves are on the margins exactly as well, who are something else. It's getting pushed back from Ram show. It's not getting pushed back.
Speaker 1: From the culture itself. He's right, it's getting pushed back from people who feel like it's a weird group of people here that feel like he represents their interest in the conversation. And I'm like, bro, none of you niggas grew up Jewish. I don't care if your mom is black and y'all lived in the suburbs. Nigga, it wasn't his experience. This man has this is gonna.
Speaker 3: I'm disappointed in some of these dudes.
Speaker 1: Man, what happened?
Speaker 3: Just just some of these motherfuckers, like like Killy yo when Man, some of these motherfuckers want people to come on their platform so bad, and they feel like if they don't have an honest opinion, they're gonna prevent these people. They could possibly deny themselves the opportunity to have these people on their platform. Stop kissing ass man.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny. Still, I'm not mad at nobody that's not staying biased. I'm actually more upset with a lot of West Coast media because they were not biased. Me and Joey you've been talking shit, be like bro y'all not gonna be biased at all?
Speaker 3: Like you should be a little biased. Do you gotta want the whole team to win?
Speaker 1: I've never I didn't feel no kind of way when Cameron and and May said, hey, you know, Drake, uh Toronto is a lot closer to fucking you know Harlem than fucking counting.
Speaker 2: They just want to stand on the bias though.
Speaker 1: They came to a place to where and maybe they weren't biased. Maybe it's they heard the battle, how they hurt the battle but they eventually came around and said, you know what.
Speaker 2: That knockout plunge that they said, that doesn't exist like a nigga, Like academics who just want to who's really really in pain to see his boy get his ass?
Speaker 1: I want to think for two seconds that niggas in pain. I'll be honest. I don't mean about no fucking them. Niggas ain't in pain. You know what they is? The best they is is embarrassed for picking the wrong Niggas. Don't get talk about no mother Listen, then niggas don't care about no morotherfucking Drake niggas. They don't care about Drake them. Niggas is in love with niggas and niggas ship. They are not in love with Drake. Flock on them act like they're in love with they we he's my friend. No he not. You Niggas love nigga because y'all try to act like niggas. You talk about niggas all day. Do you think anybody would look at academics podcasts or flock oh podcasts and if they was talking about Drake all day, niggas wouldn't give a fuck about that academic shit is built off ghetto shit in Chicago, issues that the ghetto had in Chicago. Flocko is building his whole platform off the issues the ghettos got in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: They don't even have a they would even have a platform without the ghetto.
Speaker 1: So they can't fool me when they act like they relate to Drake. No, y'all, don't you full of shit. You just aligning yourself with where you think the money is currently, and that's it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So I don't.
Speaker 1: I never got offended when I saw that. Now that West Coast homies, you niggas better get y'all ass off the fits you are over here. It's okay to say a nigga got a great record, but you it's okay to be like nigga. I'm rude for my West Coast brother. It's the West.
Speaker 3: As you should. You ain't nothing wrong with takers, believe me, and catch from other places. They ride for they people.
Speaker 1: Good looking out for tuning in to the Note Sellers podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate commentist share. This episode was recorded right here on the West Coast of the USA and produced about the Black Effect Podcast Network and not heart radio, Yeah.