Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory fil Territory Network's Cubs podcast. I'm Saaev Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic. Patrick, it is time for a mailbag episode. We always love these. You guys come with plenty of questions and it is trade deadline season, so we know you are very curious. We talked a lot about trade targets last episode. There was a question about that, so if you want to know who the like, your question was answered last episode. If you missed that, we went over that and really dove into the potential sellers. I think the question was who should they be reading, rooting against and who are the targets. Well we basically did that last episode, so please please check it out. But here's the first question, and it is from our guy, Tyler Dirshel who's he's.
Speaker 2: Been absent for a little while. Patrick.
Speaker 1: He's missed a couple of he has been on his honeymoon and he wasn't he wasn't messaging us. He was concerned about his new wife and not us.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm a little hurt, a little confused, but he's back he couldn't. He's yeah, uh, he asked, Well, the threat of a potential lockout in the offseason play a role in the aggressiveness at the deadline, considering the potential loss of control time if a season isn't played. I think teams are still trying to figure that out. They still don't know, They're still thinking through how that works. And I think it's about will prices be altered? I think is probably what what teams are wondering, and they have to kind of go over their own calculus, and I think, really it's going to be different for every team, so it could be it. Yeah, I mean that it's possible. I'm not sure we'll fully know the impact of it all until we see it all unfold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jed Hoyer has acknowledged this of like, yes, it is a factor, but no, we're not quite certain how it's going to play out, and that all thirty clubs are aware of it, and all thirty clubs are putting different weights upon that.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at that keyword aggressiveness that Tyler mentioned, and I think that is kind of a broader conversation, a longer term development of just how many clubs are leaning heavily on the models this generation of executives. There are a few notable exceptions, but mostly they are and aly driven. They are the sort of descendants of Moneyball that, yes, you have a J Preller, Dave Dombrowski, but other than that, there aren't too many guys that look at it as if not now when the way theo Epstein did when you traded for rold As Chapman. It's a lot of sort of you know, weighing the probabilities looking at the future projections on your computer screen rather than saying, like, we want to win a World Series this year, like the window is always supposed to be open, or at least that's sort of the hope of you know, winning or being projected to win around eighty five games every year, hoping you overperform and then sort of salvaging it when things go sideways. But yeah, I'm with you side. I think that'll be part of the debrief after the deadline of like, okay, what did this CBA uncertainty mean? And we won't know until maybe well after August third.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's looming over the sport in more ways than one. Right, it's more than just the trade deadline move. We've been talking about this for over a like for a year already, and it's you know, it's just kind of this frustrating aspect that feels inevitable that you know we're gonna have to go through. We'll see how long it impacts the game and how long we're without baseball, if at all. From strand thirty four, which of the Cubs hitting prospects would you consider to be untouchable for trades? Also with Nico, Dansby and Bragman locking up the infield, isn't Shaw someone who should be available. I don't think anyone's untouchable. I'd also say that I wouldn't you know, I wouldn't include someone like Jefferson Rojas. I'll say that I think it's Jefferson Rojas, Josiah Hartshorn, and probably Owen Airs just because catchers are so valuable. Catching prospects are so valuable. And maybe you wouldn't throw Ethan Conrad in there just because his value we don't really know where it is, so you don't want to give him away. Those are the types of guys you wouldn't include in a in a rental deal. But for the right under control player. I think any of those guys could be available, Rojas and Hartshorn, it would be like a really big deal. I think you'd have to be talking about someone that you have for multiple years. That is, you know, if it's not like I don't know if the Cubs payof for someone like Mason Miller, if he becomes available, if it's not like that type of no doubt reliever, then it's like a really good starter, a guy that could be a one or two. There's not very many ones. A two for you, but a one for the Cups. I guess he'd be fronting the Cup's rotation. I just but nobody's unavailable. You can touch on that and maybe talk a little bit about Shaw as well.
Speaker 2: Patrick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Shaw's hurt. You know, this wrist, brain has lingered. You know, I think he's gonna start or try to ramp up some activities again here soon. Off the top of my head, I honestly can't remember it, because there was like kind of multiple steps before he'd be back on a major league field. You're not quite sure how that impacts his availability at the deadline, just that injury question, but otherwise, yes, Shaw should be available. But again, that was a guy who was sort of almost untouchable last year just because of how they projected him as a third basement of the future. So now as an outfield he's still valuable. I think he's still be like your everyday right fielder next year, or left fielder for that matter. But I think it's kind of the Shaw and Pedro ramires, like I don't know if both of them should still be here after the August third deadline. I think you have to you have to kind of create some pitching. You have to, you know, go out and get that, and you know, maybe maybe it winds up being James Trianto's who gets moved. You know, he's a triple A guy, very young, plays a lot of those positions. You have some some versatility, so maybe in the end you know where the are, what the options are they going that way. But definitely, like we don't think the Tigers are going to trade Schooble or think that the Cubs are going to like give you go all out to get him, but you Shaw is a piece that kind of gets you in the conversation for almost any player who's gonna be out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean honestly, like Peter Ramirez has really shown me a lot, Like he's a good defend, a nice player. Yeah, he's a quality player. But Shaw's good when he's healthy and he's out there, he's a he's a quality player too, and he's he's shown me a lot just by his willingness, uh to play anywhere and his versatility. Like he's good. He quickly has gotten good at different positions. Got to give him credit for that. But in the right move, Yeah, I think anyone's available, like those every name that we mentioned here, Like, yeah, outside of the everyday players, you're not you're you know, you should be willing to move these guys. They have so much position player talent. Got add more pitching. All right, let's take a quick break and then we'll take more questions.
Speaker 4: Todd father, are you hitting some games this summer?
Speaker 2: What's the deal? Of course?
Speaker 5: And it's real simple, Scottie Braun. You know how it is. You go to seat Geek and you can find any deal you want in any section you want, even if the game sold out. Go to seat Geek and you'll find something that you love, affordable for your family, that you can enjoy anywhere anytime at any ballpark and stadium you want enjoy it. It's the best opportunity to go see a beautiful game of baseball.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing that you can be so last minute. Sea Geek is the official ticket marketplace of Major League Baseball. They have you covered for all of your baseball ticket needs the entire summer. They also have over seventy thousand events on sea Geek that includes concerts, festivals, all kinds of sporting events. So go check it out right now, FTFAM. The code is Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Geek. That's ten percent off with promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the dis scription to download the app, and then the code automatically is added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see what this next question is. It is from towing clone Cone. Uh no clue what that is, but hopefully it's not something deeply offensive.
Speaker 3: If it is, you're getting canceled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, great, All right, let me let me clean that up so we can see it a little bit better.
Speaker 2: There, there we go.
Speaker 1: Where do you think Jed's head head is at on this team's ceiling. They're going to buy, But how big of a splash are they after? Yeah, I think it's interesting. It is interesting to think about where how they look at this team as far as ceiling and it's I don't think it's singularly about are you in first place and and do you have the buye I think that's hugely important. I think that does change the calculus at the deadline, But as far as the ceiling of the team, I don't think it is fully determinive of how they feel about that. I think, simply put, I think he the month long offensive struggle did put a little question in his head, but he loves this team's offense. They have an elite defense, They trust their coaching staff. They have just been waylaid by injuries on the pitching staff, and that is their focus. How aggressive, how big of a splash? I mean, we've talked about that. I think you know Scooble probably not someone that's around for more. I think they'd love to get some offseason shopping done. Essentially, it would be the simplest way to put it.
Speaker 2: What's the cost?
Speaker 1: How much are they willing to give up. They do have some big time prospects that could move the needle, like we mentioned Shaw, Pedro, Ramirez could be available in the right deal. Like so yeah, like they're going to buy You're right, and I think we're going to find out how big of I think it's less about like how big of a splash are they after and more how big of a splash can they pull off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean if they get like, you know, two eighth inning relievers, like maybe they're not the biggest. Obviously Mason Miller would be a huge splash. We don't know if Podgers are actually gonna sell much less where the Cubs would put together that sort of package, but like that could have a huge implac That's maybe not a splash in terms of the names going across the bottom of your TV screen. But I think just this interesting character because he doesn't sort of walk around name dropping like four red Sox and twenty sixteen Cubs all the time, like he's been he knows what it looks like, he's been around, you know, some of the biggest names, biggest moments in baseball history. But he is constantly focused on the future and weighing all these various probabilities and really clinging to his idea of value. And so I'd asked him, I was like, you know what it looks like? What are you seeing now? Like is it kind of passing the eye test? And you know, he said this position player group can win multiple rounds in October, like that is lining up, And I do think that impacts how he looks at I know, catching the Brewers is going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible. The odds say one thing, but I think you can watch this team. I know they have a really dynamic group of position players. Like when Dansby Swanson's hitting nine but putting up a year where he might get like twenty plus homers and eighty something RBI's Like that is what a deep, versatile lineup looks like. And so yeah, like it's on Jed and Carter here, like that's just I think we can understand their market forces and that there are future considerations. You can't ignore all of that, but it.
Speaker 2: Is on them.
Speaker 3: This theo Epstein said it on the Level Reunion podcast with end the resident David Ross, Like the clubhouse looks up to the front office, like you have one job, get us what we need. And you know this is this is their time to shine. Like they are on the clock. They have to go get it done, whether or not it's the biggest splash. They just have to be right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll never forget. I believe it was twenty seventeen when the Astros, the year the Astros won this World Series, Dallas Kichel was kind of like called out the front off when they didn't make a big splash because the deadline passed and that was when the waiver wired deadline still existed. And then they ended up getting Justin Verlander. I think that completely changed the tenor of that group, and he was obviously a stud for them and a key piece in them winning their first World Series. It does matter, I think it does. You know, you show belief in a team, and Theo's talked about that a lot. I'm not Jed doesn't talk about that aspect a lot, but I remember THEO talking about a lot, like the team. We have to show the team, you know that we believe in them. This is our way of doing that.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Next one is from Jason Heldman. Pitching will rightfully get all the attention, but could a bench bat or two make sense. Seems a veteran could make more sense than having guys like Ramirez or al Contra waste away with few at bats per week. This was sent like a week ago, a little less than a week ago. Ramirez has played a ton lately. Al Contra is getting playing time against lefties. Look, I al Contra is not going to be here once Shaw is healthy, if you know, assuming Shaw gets healthy. I unless they have bad reports on Shaw and they're feeling more pessimistic and decide they need a right handed bat. Even then, I'm just not sure. Like Confordo has been great. What was it that the stat we were given last night? Patrick four pinch hit home runs is a ties a record for the Cubs, believe.
Speaker 3: Tied with Glenn Allen Hill in nineteen ninety nine for the most by a Cub in franchise history since at least nineteen oh one. The Cubs media relation departments research.
Speaker 1: So like, you have a good catching duo, you have Moises by Asterius waiting in the miners to get hot. They I do not think they're going to spend much time looking at like. I won't completely rule it out just because of the Shaw situation, but I'd be very surprised that their bench has been great this year and Ramirez has been playing a ton And like I.
Speaker 2: Said earlier, I think it was this episode. Like I said earlier, like he's impressed me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess something beyond Shaw's lingering issue. I guess something could pop up in the next whatever ten days ish that makes you rethink that. But no, they have their group. And the interesting part too, is how much built in flexibility they have, like how this roster was constructed. It's a way that you can just focus entirely on the pitching staff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, and here's the last question from Rob Ericsson. Have there been any talk for extension talk for hap end or Suzuki?
Speaker 2: They're both pending free agents.
Speaker 1: Obviously, losing your corner outfielders for such a good offense, it's hard to replace. It's not easy to replace. I have not heard anything about extension talks. In fact, I'd be a little surprised by extension talks. I could be way off on that, but let's let's make this are our Daily Dingers segment, presented by Fan Duel. All Right, Patrick, what have you heard about about Saya s Azuki? Ian halp or I guess, says Azuki in particular.
Speaker 3: I'll start with have just in that, you know, I'm not asking Ian half this every day. I guess theoretically something could have changed, But after that wave of extensions around opening Day, HAP acknowledge that, you know, there had not been any meaningful dialogue in that regard, and I just kind of got the sense that the Cubs are just going to let that one play out. Part of why I asked was because the APP did sign a surprise extension after the start of sorry whichever season that was, but it was one of those like leading up to opening Day. It was kind of like, yeah, we're just gonna put that on the back burner, and that's you know, it kind of popped probably about week to ten days after the start of that season, that might have been twenty two to twenty three something like that.
Speaker 2: Round.
Speaker 3: Then yeah, I can't Yeah, I mean that sort of window when the Cubs were kind of building it back up. Still think making him a qualifying offer probably makes sense. The Cubs try and get a draft pick there, and you san At Suzuki is another one. You know, I haven't heard anything, haven't really pushed I think it's interesting. Well, we have heard or what hasn't like totally gone away with this idea of what if the Cubs are forced to trade from there every day lineup to get pitching help, like if they're boxing to a corner. I still have a hard time seeing that happening. But the idea was Saya was, yes, he has no trade clause. It would be really sort of awkward and difficult to broach that subject and actually follow through on that. But if you're in Sye's camp, you would probably be okay with that, just because it would get you out from under that possibility of a qualifying offer, the draft pick compensation, compensation that can hinder a players market as a free agent. But I don't know a lot of that sounds kind of like theoretical or abstract, like he is so good in the middle of this lineup threading a needle that way. I have a tough time wrapping my brain around.
Speaker 2: How about you, Yeah, that's that's what I was going to say.
Speaker 1: It sounds like one of those things where it's like a lot of things have to go right and like perfectly, like you have to have the pitching deal in place, and our one hundred percent sure this is going to happen. Approach him, He has to approve Shaw. I think Shaw being healthy helps allow this to happen because then you put him in right field like kind of a platoon with Michael Confordo type thing. Probably, Uh, yeah, it's it's I feel like it's a long shot, but you're right. It's something that we haven't heard like completely go away. So we don't want to say it's impossible, but yeah it we heard it, and it's just not but not recently.
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 1: At least maybe you've heard more things recently, but I just I'd be very surprised by it. Northside Territory is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is a home of home runs.
Speaker 2: So are you ready to play your game? Head over to.
Speaker 1: FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for daily Dingers and make your free pick on Who's hitting a homer? Playball and Swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 6: Twenty one plus select states. For Kansas an affiliation with Kansas Star Casino eighteen plus DC Kentucky, Wyoming. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued is non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem called on one eight hundred Gambler Call one eight hundred my reset one eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven. Visit CCPG dot org, slash Chat Connecticut, visit MD gambling heelp dot org. Maryland, Visit Gambling Helpline MA dot org. Call eight hundred three two seven five zero five zero, Massachusetts call one eight seven seven eight Hope and why text Hope and Why.
Speaker 2: New York Call one eight.
Speaker 6: Seven seven seven seven zero seven eight six seven Louisiana Padrick.
Speaker 1: I mean we didn't even say it, but but say has been hot again. He's one of the key pieces of this offense really, so that that's another reason why, I mean, taking away such a big piece of the puzzle feels a little crazy to me. Like he's, uh, he's having like a season that's nearly as good as last year. He's got his highest walk rate, his second highest isolated power behind last year. Uh, he's on pace for like twenty five homers. You know, just I think it'd be a long shot. I think it is, and I think it would be counter productive.
Speaker 2: A hundred.
Speaker 3: I mean this part of the reason his name had popped up the Cubs got a couple of hits on him last offseason was it's finding an impactful right handed hitter is just really difficult. The teams that would want Saya right now are theoretically or potentially the teams that are gonna be trying to beat the Cubs in October.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, say, his time here has there's been some rocky moments or kind of weird adjustment, not weird like in a normal adjustment period, I should say it. It seems like Cubs and Saya's group have put a lot of effort into making this work and putting him in a position where he can just go out and play and succeed. He's doing it. He's one of those players who, like other players talk about in an admiring way of just say, realize how how talented he is. That this offense is rolling again, this office is going to have to carry them at certain stretches too, just with the way the pitching staff has been set up and really battered by injuries. So I think we had to address it. It's a good question. I don't know how much time or energy the front office is going to really spend on actually pursuing that possibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, all right, Thanks so much for listening to everyone. This is Northside Territory. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and our top of all things Cubs. Thank you for sending in your questions, thank you for listening, and thank you for watching on YouTube as well. Thanks everyone, Take care,