Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Girl. Welcome back to I Choose Me. I'm talking to doctor carry burnit about living life in your second half with joy. Let's get back into it. One of the things you talk about are the pillars of joy span. The one that really got me was giving. Yes, can you tell us how important that is? Because, like I said before, we spend so much time taking care of other people that when we give to ourselves it feels selfish, but in giving to others, it's actually productive to our joy span. Yes.
Speaker 2: So we said that there are these four verbs that are the pillars, and I'm so mad because I wanted them to spell a really catchy acronym, and so I would spend like a ridiculous amount of time coming up with acronyms. I probably took years off my life. And finally one day I was in a coffee shop and I was like, screw it.
Speaker 1: It is simply the words that it is, so no acronym.
Speaker 2: I know, Okay, bomber. It starts with a G and ends with a G, so that's something okay, okay, And then the middle to our c A. And we live in California, so if people can remember, then g C A.
Speaker 1: G GG Yeah, what's g okay?
Speaker 2: So I'll go through the four of them, and then if we wanted to start with giving, we can, because I feel like that's the most interesting one.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: So the four verbs are grow, and Linda touched on it connect with other humans, adapt, huge literature on what it means to adapt and why we have to. And then the final G is what you started with, which is give. And the thing about giving is it's giving of yourself and it requires that you recognize that you have something to give. And I love that you touched on the fact that we, as women and mothers and grandmothers, we've given a lot. But the component that you so beautifully add is about it's not giving that's going to empty us out. It's not just, for example, caregiving. It's not just meals and schedules and looking and seeming like you have it together. But it's giving that of who you are, and you need to recognize that those strengths of growing older and to see that you have something to give. And then also with giving is the other piece that nobody's talking about, and that is the ability to receive. So there's a lot of research that talks about the givers high right, if I do something for you, it feels kind of good because I've given.
Speaker 1: To It makes you feel better about yourself.
Speaker 2: But if we were all going to only just give, then what about the give like the other person? Like we're just all giving. So as we get older this ability to receive. So when if you're not feeling that well and your girlfriend says I'm going to bring dinner over, instead of our quick response which is no, no, I've got it, it's okay, you don't have to do that, we can learn in this second fifty to say thank you, Yes, Then that person feels good. We have that social connection. The next time that maybe you need something, all feel so joyful that I can then give you something. So it's give as a two way street. And our adult children are going to want to help us and give and navigating that where there is a certain amount of time that we say yes to some assistance and then also lay down some boundaries to say, I'll tell you in advance that you, as my adult, let's say thirty year old daughter, are not always going to agree with things, but as an adult I'm going to choose for my life how I'm going to do some of these things, and as long as I have cognitive capacity to make my own decisions. So instead of having only a conversation when you're ninety, we start these conversations with our adult children today planning the seeds. And maybe we could use our own parents as an example. You could say you could see how it was. It's really hard with your grandmother that she won't let us help in any way with her hip surgery recovery. And just to kind of start with these many, many conversations of how to navigate.
Speaker 1: It's so important. I think you also talk about different forms of giving. Yes. Is one of my favorites is just listening, giving an ear. Yes, it's the best.
Speaker 2: It's the best example. Right. Yes, I have someone now that I am so honored to know, and she now has a lot of physical challenges, and so she lives in a skilled nursing facility, but her give She is the best listener and intentionally she has listened to audibles about listening, she has watched Ted talks about listening. She has tried out different strategies every time I go to visit her. There's practically a line by her bed, and I get in it because I feel so seen and heard and understood by her listening. And yet you know, her body's contracted, her vision and her hearing our challenge. But what a role model she is to me about choosing things that we can continue to give all lifelong.
Speaker 1: I think one of the biggest misconceptions people have about happiness and later later in life is that we reach these milestones. You know, our kids are off on their own, they're happy, we're retired, we have grandchildren, and then we expect the joy to just come with all those blessings of life. But you said sometimes they don't, right, How can we prepare ourselves to be more in touch with joy span, Yes.
Speaker 2: You start small, and you start by noticing.
Speaker 1: So you go.
Speaker 2: When you very first wake up in the morning. Humans we all.
Speaker 1: I love that you say humans. By the way I say humans a lot. I kind of feel weird that we're just humans exactly like and we're quirky when you're boiling all day. We're the same exactly.
Speaker 2: So we humans lay in bed and you think, oh, my kids getting a divorce. My you know, ankle really hurts. The darn air condition isn't working. You know, you kind of list out problems, and what we give attention to is what we see more of. And that also is a neurological reticular activating system is such that when you call attention to something, you see more of that. And that's the reason why you buy a Toyota Corolla and then you see them everywhere on the road. They were there all along, but you it's what you draw attention to.
Speaker 1: Our minds are so powerful, so powerful, exactly. I never really knew, yes powerful though, And there's a lot of conversation now about that, about saying how you want your life to be exactly.
Speaker 2: And what you choose. So in the morning, when before before you even put your feet on the ground, if you can purposefully say, I get to go down and have a cup of coffee. This silly dog of mine is so loyal and funny to me, My daughter and I are going to be able to grab a dinner at the end of the week. I have a roof over my head, right, And to really draw attention to those little things in your life, and that's what you'll start to see more of, because there's always always going to be things that are not right and that are hard, particularly as we grow older, but also there will always be things that still are right. And sometimes, like when I am down and pissed off and heartbroken, I want to say, like I don't see any I don't see any good things. There's only bad things. But in there isn't actually true. And so I have another friend who has recently lost both of her limbs, and so it's added to in the morning, think I can step right onto these legs. How amazing that I have legs? You know?
Speaker 1: There. I mean, it's kind of corresponds with gratitude. It's basically the same thing being grateful instead of focusing on what's wrong, focusing on what's right.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And it seems kind of like Gaggy like Pollyanna, like everything is right, except that the suffering that I've seen makes me think, regardless of if it feels stupid or if it feels overly simple, try it, you know. And when I watch people go from suffering so much to feeling some hope and some encouragement and then encouraging others, I think, I'm happy to put it out there. And it isn't just my beliefs or anything. It's what the research shows us. So it's like shining a light. When I used to just research dementia and depression and anxiety, it seemed so kind of academic. We can really take her serious because she does all this serious work. When I moved it to the other side, which was generosity, gratitude, humor, a lot of these things, it seems like, oh, that's not academic, But it's equally academic. It's equally powerful, if not more powerful. And particularly in this day and age where there are such struggles as a nation and such polarization, that actually we can think of joy and choosing and working on psychological well being almost as an act of resistance, right, Like it can be kind of a serious thing, this joy, this wellbeing, this trying to continue to add kindness and grace and appreciation to this phase of life. It's actually pretty important, it really is.
Speaker 1: I mean it's important. I think in your fifties starts you really start to tap into that in your fifties, in your sixties, and if you really practice it, and it's a practice, it's not something that you just flip a switch and it happens without any effort, right, So practicing it every day is another story. Yes, exactly what are the three things we can all be doing as we enter the second act of our life to thrive?
Speaker 2: Yes, so I think that we can tie them to the four pillars of joy spand so we talked about it. So people, you know, if your listeners are like me, when I listen to podcasts, I think, Okay, I want to walk away with something, So people know that it's GCAG. So that is grow, connect, adapt, and give. So we can go first to the grow. That is, am I pushing myself out of my comfort zone to try something new, to continue to develop myself all the way until my last breath. So that means at ninety years old, at one hundred years old, am I finding things that I can do differently? Or you know, make it make a decision to be, for example, a great listener, or make the decision that I'm going to share my cooking with somebody. So that's the grow the connect humans need humans. And then this eighty five year longitudinal study the same people over eighty five years, the biggest predictor of how somebody would age wasn't exercise, It wasn't diet, it wasn't sleep. Certainly, wasn't how much protein or kale you had. It was in fact, these human relations and these connections, and the only way to have connection enough to last one hundred years is to proactively be the one reaching out. To be that friend who offers to drive someone to chemo, who plans the book club, who makes the reservations for the getaway, who remembers it's been a year since your mother's death. Right, So when people say to me, I'm lonely as defined as not having as much social interaction as you'd like to have, I always ask the question, tell me about the outreach that you've done.
Speaker 1: It starts with you, right, it does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So when we feel excluded, we go, okay, wait am i Am I the one reaching out to others? So we've gotten grow, we've gotten connect and that puts us on the a adapt and adapting is from a beautiful literature on adaptation that was actually researchers in Israel, and what they showed was people who were able to take these life circumstances that we never chose, these hard things of losing a partner or a divorce, or a child getting ill. When we take those things really allow ourselves to feel the grief and to acknowledge the heartbreak and then put the work into thinking, Okay, now I still might have thirty years ahead of me, how am I going to carry this thing for the rest of my days so that this part doesn't just make thirty more years of suffering.
Speaker 1: But it can't define you. Yes, I think a lot of people fall into that category of you know, when bad things happen, it just sort of takes over everything in their life.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you think, well, this I can't find joy because this heartbreak is too great. I'm going to suffer now for the rest of my life, and many people do. It's just it is my hope and that we can use proven internal and external coping mechanisms, counseling and sharing and journaling and medications. There's a lot of things that we can be doing to adapt to these situations. And I was writing the chapter on adaptation, and we have three adult children, and as I was writing about, oh, it's important to adapt because you're going to have these life things that you never expected, and then of course I had a life thing that I never expected, and that was our middle daughter was just about to go off to medical school and was diagnosed with a brain tumor. And so I was like, Carrie, you got to actually take your own advice, which is really grieve, really process and let people into your grief and put in the work to think how am I going to navigate this? Because I thought I could get a brain tumor. My ninety seven year old mom could get a brain tumor, But my twenty four year old daughter what? But yes, yes, And because I work with older people, I was just broken and I went in to work, and of course I couldn't keep it together and I just was crying. And there was a group of women who were in their nineties and the listening that they did and then the sharing that they did that they had been through stuff like one of them I never even knew had lost a child. I didn't know that. But to have somebody ahead of me like, help me see you know that there is still a path even with the unthinkable so valuable.
Speaker 1: And I thought to.
Speaker 2: Myself, when I'm an older person, might I be able to do that to subsequent generations? And that kind of loops us back to the give, and the give is giving of yourself, recognizing that as long as you have breath in your lungs. You have something to give.
Speaker 1: So I see you getting emotions, and I.
Speaker 2: Know people are so kind, they're going to say, oh, your dat her. So she wasn't able to go to school and instead she moved home with us, which was rough on her, but happily, I'm so grateful that she it went to another medical school that is near her neurologist and now she just does six month intervals of MRIs and it's not growing. So as long as it's not growing, she'll just keep doing our studies and maybe it will never grow, but if it does, then we'll address it then. But it's pretty it's not unusual, right, that's what.
Speaker 1: It's not unusual. It is life. It happens. It's happening to other people getting through it, and so can.
Speaker 2: You exactly, and that you know, aging is just another word for living, right, And that's why sometimes people will say, oh, it's great, you're an aging expert. And I even though I studied gerontology and everything, it's not really an expert because nobody nails it. Nobody goes, wow, I'm doing this so well. Right, it's messy and it's humbling.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, everybody's dealing with something different.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I feel like I've learned so much, but there's so much more in your book, joy Span, The Art and Science of Thriving on Life's Second Half. I hope everybody out there reads it and think you for that personal update on your daughter. We all, of course, everyone listening, myself included, just hope that it never grows.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, exactly. And yeah, and I like something that she said recently. She said, well, you know, at least I know my thing. Everybody's going to have a thing and I know mine, right, Yes, you do.
Speaker 1: Doesn't have to wait for that.
Speaker 2: I always got it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Before I let you go, I want to ask you what is one I choose me moment that you have adopted in your life to bring you more joy.
Speaker 2: Well, I happen to be lucky enough to have read your book, and I took so much from it, and it is really in line with this philosophy of that we have a choice and when we just succumb to this oh don't get old kind of thing, you don't realize that that you play a role in it. And so something that I did in terms of choosing me is I had to let go of a narrative, and that narrative was as somebody who loved school. I always thought I like academic things, but I am not an athlete. I'm not coordinated. I'm just physically not good. And as I've gotten older, I was like, what a lie. Of course you can get better. You can choose to put in effort to things that you have, like stories that you've been told, like maybe somebody sometimes said you're not smart, or somebody said you're not attractive, or you're not funny, or you're not good with money. A lot of these stories we can bust in the second half. And so when I got this thought of like, huh, maybe it's not true that I am such a physical goofball. Who did get picked last pe? I did? I did because I was all like skinny. But I started thinking like, well, what if I could run a little bit?
Speaker 1: And then I ran a marathon?
Speaker 2: Now, like what if I could lift weight? Now I left weight Monday Wednesday Friday, So kind of taking off their old garbage that other people have put on us, I didn't go.
Speaker 1: Yeah yet, letting go of those narratives. Yes, you know, I've had that happen to me as well, where someone has said something about me and I took it on. Yes, And then that and because I took it on, I started thinking about it and believing it and making it true, making it true, making it happen because I was thinking about it. Yes. But it's so it's so important that we are able to sort of look at something and you know, acknowledge what is our truth as opposed to what other people's truth is. Yes, because we get to choose our truth. Yes, and if we want to. I'm choosing right now to row into my older years and just really embody all of the things that I've learned from your book.
Speaker 2: And what's going to be what changes the world is the fact that your children are going to have you as an example. And I think if all of us, these twelve thousand of us a day who are turning sixty five, if we could step into our power that you know, in the same way they used to say women can't do this, women can't do that, and we're like, oh, really, watch me, same thing with older It's like, you know what, I'm ninety year old and these are the things that I'm doing. How great for our daughters behind us to look and go, huh. And I think that's going to change society.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to change all the cycle. Yes, thank you so much for.
Speaker 2: Sharing, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Everybody get this book because we're all going to age, we're all going to get old.
Speaker 2: We're doing it right now.
Speaker 1: We gotta figure it out and get proactive. Thank you so much, very huge, Jenny,