Speaker 1: Media.
Speaker 2: Yo, I'm out and about right now. I got my daughter Soul with me, say what's up. But I wanted to do a quick little intro. This, if you don't know, is connected to the Behind the Bastards pod we're doing like a four part series on Robert E. Lee just legendary, horrible human. But part of that needed a primer where we talk about the lost cause in the narrative. So if you haven't listened to those other episodes from the Bastard's feed, I mean, it's fine, I guess, but like this won't make sense too much unless you understand that that's what this is about, all right, the politics of prop all right, Bastards crossover episode, the politics we prop uh and we talk about some.
Speaker 3: Of these like g moves, this gangster shit.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. Robert and Sophie got into recently. You feel me, y'all willing to talk about it yet? Or we need to like play a low now.
Speaker 4: We got to know how the company is gonna want to play it.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, we got to play a low right now. But just know, like these fools is these fools gay? They're getting certified over here on this side Yo saying I love it.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I'm looking down when you're saying it.
Speaker 2: Like like like some sort of plausible deniability, like can't nobody see us.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I don't know you're talking about allegedly. Listen, listen, Yeah, now you guys got to start sounding like New York gangsters. How they be like allegedly, Like you have to say allegedly before everything. Now we allegedly and then allegedly just just just put allegedly.
Speaker 3: Before everything before everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, not true, and we are allegedly gonna continue this.
Speaker 3: This series here, all right.
Speaker 2: So first of all, welcome too politics. This is one of those things like we did with like crack sober Fest, where you know, most of the story, actually the rest of the whole story was on the The Bostards was on the Bostards podcast feed, And.
Speaker 1: What accident are we doing today?
Speaker 2: The Bostards? You know, we're gonna do the Bostards. We're gonna do drill music, isn't.
Speaker 3: It get the proper food, isn't it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: So we've been covering Robert E.
Speaker 2: Lee and this is somewhat of a like let's call this like a primer, Like what are like the like supplementary like documents like content to help you understand, Like that's not a prequel, right, This isn't like a prequels, like it's supplement right.
Speaker 3: Is that a good way to put it?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I think that works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so obviously I don't need to introduce the the Queen Sophie Lickterman. I don't need to introduce Robert mage y'all know who it is. You know what I'm saying. We could just dive right in. Today we're gonna talk about the Lost Cause, which was something that you know, continue to like it's one of those things that like, as you're telling the.
Speaker 3: Story about the Civil War and Robert E.
Speaker 2: Lee, it's like these things have to keep coming up, but like at some point you got to step back and be like, well, but what is it though, because it plays such a like big role in the story, right Yeah? Yeah, so a you're giving me Robert.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I it's interesting. Like I kind of debated as I was putting together the episodes on Lee, like how much to go into the actual history of like the evolution of the Lost cos mythology.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it.
Speaker 5: Like I wound up just kind of going with the idea that, well, what I should probably do is just kind of cover how parts of his life have been covered in this yeah, and leave the rest of the to you. So I'm excited for this because I didn't have to write it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: You know I'm saying, So this is like, yeah, politics, reverse Bastard type situation. So I'm gonna read the script if you will. I don't really script like Robert.
Speaker 3: Does like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you do it like a kind of bullet point. Yeah, we're finna get into it. But anyway, So what has continued on from from the Civil War onto now, which is some stuff that like and as we go through this, like I'm gonna be going back and forth between like what was happening chronologically and how it affects us now and how we're still seeing.
Speaker 3: Sort of a lot of parallels.
Speaker 2: I think this was the first time when discussing and I just racism in general and especially the American you know, experience of it, because it affects me so directly that this is the first time I've ever walked away and actually felt a bit of I don't know, sympathy, Like I actually like I felt bad for them, Like I don't know how I've never interested.
Speaker 3: It's so interesting.
Speaker 2: I was on this crazy journey, you know what I'm saying in in uh in this so basically I'm going to talk about like what are the actual like you know, nuts and bolts of what is the Lost Cause?
Speaker 3: How did it start? Right? Why did it continue?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Like, how come nobody you know, stopped it in the beginning, How it looks, how it looks now? And really I'm going to connect it to January sixth.
Speaker 3: Believe or not.
Speaker 4: Oh that's exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really fun.
Speaker 1: Back to another series we did together.
Speaker 3: True Insurrection. Yeah.
Speaker 5: What I think is funny about the Lost Cause stuff is that, uh, you know, as much of a failure as Lee was in fighting for everything he tried to fight for in life, the Lost Cause actually like ironically considering his basis, and it actually has been like up to this point, very successful. It's the most successful thing and the whole which is kind of like kind of disrespectful to Lee's actual legacy, you.
Speaker 3: Know, for real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's a phrase that came out of that that we could go to now, which is like the Confederates lost the war, but they won the peace. Yeah, and and it and how they won the piece was this, you know, uh, this whole process. But I want to I want to start with a couple phrases because a lot of this is really a lot of like psychology. It's a lot of this is like why I love history, you know what I'm saying, and why I love studying this shit, and like why it's so interesting to me. One is the doc you know, uh, my wife referred to her by her prefix, put me onto this term called apistemological rupture. Yeah you heard that before, Yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah, so yeah, in a pistemological break. And it's like it was coined in nineteen thirty eight by French philosopher and later used by I'm not going to say this fool's name, right, Lewis. I don't know, I'm not going to say his name, right, but anyway, right, So it's like, think of it like this. It's the unthought or unconscious structures that were imminent within the realm of sciences, such as the principles of division, like mind and body. The history of science, Blatcherd asserted that consisted of the formation of an establishment of epistemological obstacles that then the subsequent tearing down of those obstacles. This latter stage is called an epistemological rupture, where an unconscious obstacle to scientific thought is thoroughly ruptured or broken away from In other words, certain thoughts break your brain right, And it's when you.
Speaker 4: Had to relevant concept today.
Speaker 2: Exactly you see, I'm saying that's why I was like, this is very very much now. It's the idea of when you've established a world of just this is how the universe works, the laws of physics, you know, science, and just like but the evidence that's sitting in front of you, you just your brain can't, it just does not compute. But you have to accept it because it's looking it's looking at you. The fact that the truth of the matter air quotes truth is staring at you in the face saying you have to let go of the way that you've formed reality, right, And and it's called epistemological rupture because of epistemology is like the study of of knowing yea, yeah, yeah, It's like it's what you know, so you know it's it's when when you when you look at the sun and you from the ground and you're like, well, the Sun revolves around the Earth and you're like, well, actually no it doesn't. And then like, but it looks like it does, you know, So then you say, well, what would it look like if it really did look like the Earth was moving around the sun. Well, here's the thing. It would look like that, because that's what it's doing. You know what I'm saying. You have to like it just it breaks your brain, you know what I mean. So like you have to like rebuild all of our maps, we have to reconstruct all of our understandings of the cosmos because the Earth ain't in the center of it. That could break your brain at it don't break our brains because it's like obvious, but like certain things break your brain, you know what I'm saying. But once it's broken and you can reform reality, then we can move on and then you find another one. Like in other words, it's learning. I'm saying, like this this is learning. You know that what you think something is and then you learn out it's not and you just got to let it to happen. So that keep that in mind as we talk about this now lost, cause let's really get into it wrong. So, Robert, have you ever got your ass kicked? Oh? Yeah, okay, okay, now now you are. I can tell you're a fully developed human. You're man enough to accept it, right, like if you lost, you lost.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's just the way fighting goes.
Speaker 2: Right. You know, you've you've you've been in romantic relationships, you've been in and I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 4: I've gotten my ass kicked.
Speaker 2: Verbally you'm saying physically, I don't know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Sometimes sometimes you.
Speaker 4: Are physical over that any day of the week.
Speaker 3: Exactly right.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you're just wrong, right, And when you're just wrong, rather than being like, well I would have if this, but still you was saying, it's like to me, that's like a true sign of like of immaturity, like that you're not fully processed.
Speaker 3: You can't embrace a l.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is like eighty percent.
Speaker 5: Especially that's a problem for like our billionaire class, like every Yeah, that's going on right now with these guys like Bill Ackman going on these weird legal crusades because like their nephew or niece said something they didn't like at dinner, Like, yeah, it's so so funny, it's so stupid, just yeah, bro, just take your l right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, so before I get into there's there's six major points of the Lost cause, like you have to understand again why this was so important and who this was really for. And to do that, you have to understand the difference between history and memory, right, because history is you know, it's bullet points, it's things that you know, timelines, things that happen on the map. But history can only be understood through storytelling, right, Like so, but storytelling, whether we accept it or not, has a purpose, and the purpose is shaping identity, right, And identity has so much more to do with memory rather than history, because memory, yeah, because memories about the future. Story is about the future, it's about the next generation, you know what I'm saying. Because if we was there, right, there's a part of you that's like, again, I have to reconstruct the way I remember something, because the idea of you just taking that l right is almost unthinkable. Right Or when you when you when there's a part of you that knows for a fact you were wrong, right, but your brain just can't you just can't let it go, right. So I'm gonna read this quote here from Thomas Mumford, right, who was a Confederate cavalry officer, and he says, again, but memories about the next generation. They want their kids to un understand that they were, that we we were good men. And here's the quote when asked, why are the old Confederates gathering again?
Speaker 3: And what.
Speaker 2: Are they going to get out of it? To our children and to their children's children, let it be our pride to teach them, as is done in every land where patriotism and self sacrificing spirits are honored and esteemed, that the Confederates shed their blood for their mother Virginia, defending a cause she knew to be just and right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so. It's like, I just don't want my kids to know I was a piece of shit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't want my kids to know that I failed, right, failed thing I should never have been trued.
Speaker 3: Because you should have never been a part of in the first place. Yep. Now this's going to sound real familiar. This is George L.
Speaker 2: Christian Christian, who was a war vet, Confederate war vet who became a judge and then a city councilman, believe it or not, fourteenth Amendment, anyone that the.
Speaker 3: Shrewd calculating, check this out.
Speaker 2: The shrewd calculating of the wealthy Northerners realize the importance to impress on the rising next generation the justice of their course, and to that end, they soon flooded our schools with the histories containing their version of the contest, and in many of these all blame is laid on the South. He was like, look, man, you're just telling your side. You're telling your side of the story. You're gonna act like it's like, oh, so it's my fault.
Speaker 3: It was our fault. It was our fault.
Speaker 2: Right, So we need to make sure the schools don't have these stories, you know what I'm saying. So we need to correct your history books, because again, it's about the future, right, and about telling a story that is formed in a way that you want to be remembered.
Speaker 3: So how do you do that? You rewrite history? Right. Now, here we go the Lost Cause.
Speaker 2: The Lost Cause itself can be kind of explained in six points, right. So the first point is, and it's the most important, right, which is that secession had little or nothing to do with the institution of slavery. So if that's the case, then we did not commit treason. It was about the state's rights, which is something we talked about in the Robert E. Lee episode, Right, because what you have to believe that, like the Confederates for this to work is like that there they were the true America, that the Union had lost its way. So if anything, they're the trees in this ones, right, Yeah, that's the lost cause. Right number two is that slavery was portrayed as a basically as a net positive right, submissive, happy, and faithful slaves were better off in the system of Chatdow slavery, which offered them protection.
Speaker 5: So like you know, but they kind of liked it, right, Yeah, it was it was better for everybody, better for our relations were better. Things got all confused and bad once we once they started having choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like they're fine, man, they're fine. Look at them, they're fine.
Speaker 2: Right. Number three is that the states the states that the Confederacy was only defeated because the Northern States had a numerical advantage of both men and resources. Right number four, The Confederate soldiers were were portrayed as heroic, galliant and saintly even after the surrender, they retained their honor right, that that was an honor that what we didn't get beat, we did the right thing. We understood that, like this bloodshed needed to stop, so it was the right thing to do for us to just like fall back. Yeah, but as we've heard in the last four episodes, now y'all was getting y'll ass handed it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, you guys fucked up because you made really dumb choices just at the end of the day, right. I Also I do love that, like, yeah, nah, we only lost because they were better than us, as opposed to like, yeah, that is very funny to me. But if they hadn't, if they hadn't been so much better than us, we definitely would have won. Everybody always says that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well if they if they just wasn't better fighters and more trained and have more resources and more than we would want.
Speaker 5: It's always funny to hear cope like that, especially in a post Vietnam world, because it's like, what's y'all's excuse?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, what's y'all's excuse?
Speaker 3: You were the ones that were right and then that, like we talked about for the whole week is that Robert E.
Speaker 2: Lee emerged as a sanctified figure, right, especially after his death in eighteen seventy, and Lee himself became a symbol for the lost cause. And then the thing called the cult of Lee, which revered the Virginia as the ultimate Christian soldier right who took up arms.
Speaker 3: For his state. Even was even called which what he wanted to be the second Washington Right.
Speaker 2: And then six zero point six, I think is to me is the most interesting, and it's the Southern women. And I think a lot of people don't realize the role that the women played in making this work right, is that the Southern women also steadfastly supported their cause. They sacrificed their men, They sacrificed their boys and their resources more than their northern counterparts. And they it idealized this image of the Southern bell right, this idealized pure saintly Southern woman.
Speaker 4: Who heroically feeding her to the northern guns.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and and but the Northern women they wouldn't feed they sons, not like us. We gave way more of our sons because.
Speaker 3: We believed, yeah right, we believed.
Speaker 2: So so so you you you you get this, this idea almost like the the Gone with the Wind woman, you know what I'm saying, which actually plays a role in Lost Cause too.
Speaker 4: Right, Oh yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 2: I gotta I'm gonna be like you and I gotta i gotta picture I'm gonna put into the chat here because the role that art plays is actually big in its origins. Right. So I'm pulling a lot from the the National Humanity Center at the University of Virginia. This this woman, Caroline Janey, who you could take her classes. She was, She's brilliant. She wrote a ton of books. She teaches a class every year in their graduates programs about you know, this particular time in our history of Lost Cause right now. So I'm pulling a lot from that. But it's origins obviously, they developed over time, like we talked about before, uh, it started like well, before the war was done, they started formulating. Again, while youre getting your ass kick, you gotta start coming up with excuses for why.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you're losing that bad, you really got to like plan ahead of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta start planning ahead of time. So what I want to show you is this this painting. I'm gonna put it in here of it's called the Burial of Latin.
Speaker 1: You could also share your screen, by the way.
Speaker 2: All right, cool, So let's do this one. So you see this photo right here, So this is the it's called the again, the Burial of Litany. Now it's very important because so who it's supposed to be is that's a fallen Confederate soldier right there. It looks like a since this is an audio thing, it looks like like a Renaissance painting, if you will, Yeah, and which is purposeful.
Speaker 3: Rights the artist you know.
Speaker 2: Uh, painting by William Dickinson. Okay, so the Burial of Latain.
Speaker 3: This is by.
Speaker 2: William Littney, No, not William Litney, William Dickerson, right, is by William Dickerson. Really like huh, Billy Dicks Billy Dix right, Renaissance style. It's it's the way that it's even set up, it's almost set up like it's like it looks like like a like a Renaissance painting of like of the disciples right like, so it's like you have these very somber and sad looks like you know, mother daughters, sisters. Yeah, a priest like doing like the burial rights and then it's got the whole dig dug out without the coffin put in it yet, so the coffin still sitting there, and you see the guy.
Speaker 3: Soord and he's got his like.
Speaker 4: Co or whatever.
Speaker 2: Maybe yes, yes, Now on the left is what must what has to be assumed to be his property, his slave.
Speaker 4: Yeah who or at least the families, yeah, or the families.
Speaker 2: Of yeah that lived on the plantation who dug this hole for him, and they are seem to be mourning him.
Speaker 5: Also, oh yeah, exception of the dude who dug the grave, who has this kind of like yeah, when do I get off?
Speaker 4: You know, you're done here?
Speaker 3: Just kind of like his shovel, like, are y'all done this fucking dead asshole? Yeah. So so this triumphant.
Speaker 2: Returned this somber moment that the slaves actually wanted to participate in because they actually they actually considered their owner's family right, And what they're trying to say is I'm gonna stop sharing here. What they're trying to say is this idea that again they like, they liked the system that they you know, with all the other things that went on, like the basically the vast majority of the slaves experience was more like this, where of course it got rough here and there, but if you stayed in line, your master treated you well. And really black people enjoyed this, right, and they fought for a cause to continue a way of life.
Speaker 4: Right, So.
Speaker 2: We were mourning the loss. Black people were mourning the loss of the Confederates, just like everybody else in the South. Because so this is a part of like the media blitz, right, So hundreds of pieces of art were starting to pop up around this time around these things as bodies were getting shipped home. Right, So this image like really solidifies the origin story, the original seeds of what's going to grow into the Lost Cause myth, right, because it's not really a full myth just yet, you know what I'm saying now, by eighteen sixty three, you know, like we said before, Lee was, I mean, he's godlike, right, he's venerated.
Speaker 4: He's perfect, he never told a lie.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, completely venerated, right, and it's farewell addressed after they surrendered, right, you already seen him as this soldier who was brave and fought to the last man. And of course, but of course, like if if this is your general after y'ad ha already surrendered. Nobody wants to hear like, well, guys, look, I ain't even want this job anyway. You know, I'm saying I could have worked for the other team.
Speaker 3: This, It is stupid. I just wanted to keep our land. Yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 4: I was just doing it for a paycheck. And I can't believe you guys. Let me that was bad at this shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really shouldn't have done this. I just need done fucked up. Yeah, my bad, Like.
Speaker 2: I just look, man, I was just trying to get the cloud right, But you didn't want to say that, right, so, but he's but he had to say again like you said that first point. Look, we were outnumbered, right, and the death toll was too high. It just wasn't worth it to keep sending these people to bleed. And that's but that's not defeat, right, Yeah, that's me being a good general. Like, we were not outnumbered, we were not rebels. We're the real patriots, right, which is all fine and dandy. You know, you guys can get together and swap war stories or whatever, right, but that's not going to make the cement settle.
Speaker 3: The cement doesn't settle until.
Speaker 2: The ladies get involved, right, And how the ladies get involved is this thing called the Ladies' Memorial associations. So what they started doing, these proper Southern bells who were and it's very important to understand this too, is like these were middle and upper class women, right because again most white people was poor like everybody else, Like you ain't really own land.
Speaker 3: You had to be like like that.
Speaker 2: This is why you know, critical race theory and intersectionality is important because it's like everybody wasn't like that, you know what I'm saying. So these middle and upper class women who could only have the life they had because of slavery, like they were leisure us, you know what I'm saying, Like what you guys would call like you know, welfare queens or whatever, like y'all don't ever work, you just want money, Like that's what they were. You had everybody else doing the work, so they could sit on the porch and with day fans and drink day sweet tea because somebody else is doing the work, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, back in, I mean, one of the things I think is important to get across is that like in this period before you've got washing machines, before you've got sewing machines. Yeah, for people, for most people, for people who do not have entire families enslaved to work for them. If you're like a mother or something, just keeping your family in clothes is like a full time job.
Speaker 3: It's a full time job sewing.
Speaker 5: The knitting, the repairing, you know, in addition to everything else that you've got to do. So like one of the things you have to look at from the perspective of these like Southern women, they are like fighting for their the human beings that act as their leisure saving devices exactly. Like that's a big that's really what's going on here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the principal of the like they their argument, which that's a great point because their argument is like listen, dude, we're a political we're just mourning our sons, right, we just want to we just want to give our sons a proper Christian burial. But like you said, no, their entire existence. If slavery falls, we gotta go back to the river to washing clothes again, Like we got to pull this cotton out the ground, we gotta pick this corn.
Speaker 3: We go back to doing all this work in the fields.
Speaker 2: So they're like I kind of like I kind of like just having like tea parties and and you know what I'm saying, that like sitting in the cool of the day under the JUNI for trees, Like that's kind of nice, you know what I'm saying. So their whole their whole social just think just just think Hollywood, just rich kids, Like their whole way of life is done, you know what I'm saying, if there's nobody work in these fields. So obviously they have skin in the game. But what they started doing was again putting together this Ladies Memorial Association, and they were starting to give proper burials. And the first one, the first Ladies Memorial Association, appears to have organized in Westchester, Virginia by a woman named Mary Dunbar Williams. She was a resident of the town and she was horrified by the lack of proper burials for the Confederate soldiers who had defended defended their land. Now, as we said at the end of the Robert E. Lee episode, where like the way the Union was doing was like we don't bury all soldiers on y'all's land, because fuck y'all you know what I'm saying. So it's like I don't give a ship where y'all guys you are, you know what I'm saying. Like it was like this was a part of the disrespect. Was like y'all don't even get you don't get burials, like let the birds eat. You shouldn't have done this shit anyway, you know what I'm saying. So that's kind of that's kind of part of the story. And they're like, look like it or not, that's still my son right now. In May of nineteen or eighteen sixty five, she visits her sister in law Eleanor Williams Boyd, whom she recounted, this is crazy, a story of a farmer who had plowed up the bodies of two Confederate soldiers while just trying to prep the field for corn. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you just you just like you got life gotta go on. We still got to grow corn.
Speaker 2: And as you dig in the ground, it's like, oh, there's a Confederate soldier, you know, And of course that would be shocking to anybody, right, but like anyway, so these are the same women that were volunteering in the hospitals that were like they were a part of the war effort, while at the same time it was very important that they were under they were they were to be understood as just grieving mothers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's like we're not. We just we just want to we just want to bury our babies. Right now.
Speaker 2: By the autumn of eighteen sixty eight, right there was like more than twenty associations organized in just Virginia. And again now I'm gonna I'm gonna switch gears again to the to the psychology of this, because like, like cemeteries, monuments are for legacy, right, it's for honor, because like I said before, like I was like I was joking about it, but that's real. It's like you get a proper burial as a way to honor, right, for us to come and look at later, like to remember again, because it's about memory. So so they felt it important to be like, well, we don't want our boys. They're saying this, we don't want our boys who have died in Vain, even though they absolutely died in Vain.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, and badly, yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: And a stupid, stupid war and a stupid attack owned by carried out by a guy who did.
Speaker 4: Not really know what he was doing exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't want to admit that, No, nobody wants to admit that, right, But the reality is, like we said, every aspect.
Speaker 3: Of Southern life was connected to slavery, right, yeah, all of it. You know.
Speaker 2: So if anything, they're just trying to preserve their parts. Now by or by eighteen sixty eight, we're obviously fully into reconstruction, right And at the end of reconstruction or at the beginning of reconstruction, after everything was all the dust had settled, the country had to declare martial law, like obviously, you know what I'm saying, Because it's like, who's gonna really agree to this shit?
Speaker 3: Right, you know what I'm saying. So you had to declare martial law.
Speaker 2: And union soldiers basically they took the states and they broke them up in the districts, right, and union union soldiers were in charge of making sure that the people behave properly. Right, but so so they wasn't loud, like they wasn't letting Confederate soldiers gather, Like y'all couldn't party, y'all couldn't kick it. It's like nah, man, because like I don't want this shit to pop up again, right, So they weren't really free to do a lot of the stuff that they wanted to do.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 2: Jew Ball Early, that's the boy's name, Jewball Early. You heard Jewebra Early.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he's We actually quoted him in the episodes on him talking about Lee. But yeah, he's a Confederate general and like an early Lost Cause proponent.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so what he does after this is he starts the United Confederate Veterans Association. Yeah, right, so he starts you know, we have veteran association, So he starts one for the Confederates, right, and they got together and was like, well, in some senses, the North is telling everybody why we fought, Like why do y'all get to say our motivations?
Speaker 3: Like let us say why we fought?
Speaker 2: And like any vet would do, like we said, to keep your sanity, especially when you know you're on the wrong side of history, is you got to spend a story for yourself right to not be a monster, right, because that process of de radicalizing, I would imagine, would be super painful. Like here's like, here's the true story for me, Like there was a guy at my high school who was a couple of years older than me, that was like full on neo Nazi boot tied skinhead, right, yeah, went to our school, right, and him and his homies, like one of my friends got jumped, like it was by this like Nazi group whatever. Right, awful by that this would happen when I was a freshman. By the time I was a senior, you know, he had graduated, He had been gone for two years. He had gotten out of that world, right, so he got so he had gotten out, and he was coming back to our school to kind of tell his story about like him coming out of and realizing a lot.
Speaker 3: Of this shit. And what it really reminded me of is like I find.
Speaker 2: I find just learning people, knowing people being to be Like I just find people interesting, Like I think, you know, some people are super funny, like they have great stories. Like so when I think about a lot of times when I think about like the Deep South and stuff like that, Like surely you went to your Paul Paul's house and he was a loving man, you know what I'm saying, And like, and you enjoyged your relationship with me. Maybe you got a really good biscuits and gravy like like recipe. But because of this wall, right that it and it sucks because I'm the wall. Because of the wall of your racism, I could never we could never experience that type of human connection with this person. And I remember when this kid came back to our school, I was like, do his fool's like super funny man? He could draw like he was like a super talented dude. And like I said, a couple of grades older than me, and I was like, damn man, like I was an ap art student. I was like, bro, you would have been in my art class. Like you're like you're like a cool ass dude, you know what I'm saying. And but this, but this thing that for a long time he could not let go of kept us from ever having like a real relationship. And part of what he said before.
Speaker 3: Was he was like, bro, like you know, he gave his reasons for like why he like got.
Speaker 2: Involved in all this good stuff, but like ultimately he said the whole time he's in the back of his mind was just like I don't know if I believe in you this shit, you know what I'm saying, Like I just I mean, I think, like I don't like I don't know enough black people to hate him, like you know what I'm saying. Like, so he was really talking about like I just I'm not really sure this is me, but it is what it is. And then finally he said part of the part of the reasons he got out of that world was he was just like, I'm just missing out on so much fun. Man, Like I have to keep lying to myself. Like he was like, I'm I I have to keep myself from just like for us, it was acknowledging. He was like, Yo, he would see us, you know, listening to Woo Tang and you know, partying and dancing, you know what I'm saying, and like having a good time, and he was just like, damn, that looks fun. But my friends would kill me if I ever admitted that that was fun, you know what I'm saying. So he was just like I for a long time, I say all that to say, like this this this thing that they were gathering together for like for a long time. He would like, I'd have to keep staying in these gatherings because it was a way for me to create a sense of belonging and like to make me feel sane, like I'm I think this is crazy, but I'm gonna keep going here to tell myself that I'm not crazy. And then finally he was like, nah, it's some bullshit and got out, you know what I mean, and then enough enough to be able to come back to the school. And I commend him, you know what I'm saying for being for willing to like separate himself from his whole social status.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, this whole.
Speaker 2: Society, his whole commune, because just to make a right decision like that, actually it takes a lot out of a person because you're not just pulling yourself from the ideology, you're pulling yourself from your community.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that's and you know, to reinforce that. That's why I have a lot more respect for the Southerners who stayed with the Union as opposed to the ones who fought for the Confederacy, because one of those things just requires being willing to get shot, which a lot of shitty people are willing to get shot. Very few shitty people are willing to give up, like their connections to the culture they were raised in when that culture does something evil. You know, Yes, it's the same things as like, yeah, there were a lot of fucking Nazis who were willing to like go get machine gunned in the Eastern Front, but there weren't a lot of Nazis who were willing to actually stand up to Hitler. One of those things is respectable. The other just shows that you're not scared to die, yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, so you got the Ladies' Memorial Association, and now you have the United Confederates Association Confederate Veterans Is Sociation. But at this point, these are still people who lived through the situation. But it's still just like oh, folks, right, like so, but now a generation is starting to be born and to come into their own mind, and they're going to start making their own decisions. They're gonna start thinking about what their parents did, and again, because history is just us, then they're probably gonna have the same logical conclusions most of us.
Speaker 3: Did to where it was just like, yeah, maybe y'all shouldn't have I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, Pop, Like, I mean, i'll see you in your homies talking about I hear what you're saying, but I sound like bullshit to me, you know what I'm saying. So the next generation is where we got the first United Daughters of the Confederacy, which started in eighteen ninety four, which carried all the way to the mid twenty first century. Right, our twentieth century is it's the next generation. So now it's their job to actually solidify the Southern version of what happened. So now we're having what we could possibly actually be collectively called the Lost Cause, right, and what they were the ones that did was started building all the cemeteries in the monuments.
Speaker 3: Right, So.
Speaker 2: Thenment but the first monuments, what I think a lot of people don't realize are out there are monuments to the Faithful Slave, and there's one in Fort Mill, South Carolina in eighteen ninety six. Now remember plus E versus Ferguson. Yeah, yeah, I remember that the one Drop of Duty. Right, this is happening around the same time, right that that they're starting to establish these ideas of the faithful slave, where they're building monuments not just to their fallen soldiers, but to the good colors, right, which I at this point feel like I can't I can't wrap my mind around that, Like I honestly can't wrap my mind around it. Now, the plessy versus Ferguson. Why this is important is because this is what establishes separate but equal and real quick story down south in New Orleans.
Speaker 3: In Louisiana, you have you know, the Creole, you have the French, you have black.
Speaker 2: So now you have a lot of like actually rather wealthy black people, right, who are half French Canadians, so they're rather fair skinned. So what Plessy was was a very light skinned black man and who could now afford a ticket to get on the train, right, Yeah, so he gets on the train, and again, since the trains were separated by color and class, right, they had this idea of like, well, let's send this light skinned dude who you can't really tell you black and that, you know what I'm saying, send him in there. And he sits, and he sits in the white person's the white people's like train cart and they're like and then while he gets there, it's a whole political stunt that they're doing. They go he asked the train guy like, hey think I should sit here, and the dude's like, yeah, why not. He goes, I'm actually in the wrong trying because I'm black, right, And the dude's like, well, what do I do. So they're trying to say that, like you're this is absurd, right that, like you don't know what black means, Like you guys don't know what you means these laws that you're setting up, because again this is reconstruction. You don't know what it means. All this is ghastly Slavery's done. Can we please move on? And I'm showing you how stupid your thing is. At the same time, there are this movement in the South where people are like, there used to be a time that black people knew they plays, right, and we're gonna build monuments to that, right, which is all part of this this media narrative where we're looking at the same thing, but we're telling two different stories, right, so so, and it's the Daughters of the Confederacy that's like starting to make all this shit happen.
Speaker 3: Right, and then and then this kicks off the the full media blitz.
Speaker 2: Right there's a Lee monument that pops up in May of eighteen ninety Then there's a thing called the Confederates Magazine in eighteen ninety three. And I'm still like, I still can't stress enough, Like you lost, Like y'all you're the Lucy, you're the losing team. And again this goes back to that thing we're saying before. It's because the Union won the war, but the Confederates won the piece. And this is how they're winning the piece. They kept the story going, right, if you keep the story going, which again brings us to now, like, how are we literally watching We're watching a Supreme Court decide if President Trump was actually a part of the insurrection or not, Like, because he kept his story alive. If you keep his if he keeps the narrative of live, it skews reality to a way to where we actually have to engage in something that clearly we're looking at the idea of saying that like no person with can hold office, who took an oath, who can you know and engage an insurrection? And now you actually arguing if the president is in office, and I'm like, I you're this is how you win the piece. You keep the story the way you want it to go.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So they had a magazine he was up, he's just doing revisionist history.
Speaker 4: Well, he's smith, he's wordsmithing.
Speaker 5: It's this constant thing that like centrists and liberals never get, which is that the fight isn't just over because you beat them once, Like if they're willing to keep fighting, and you decide, oh I want to keep I want to get on with my life. I don't want to keep like rehashing this shit. Let's just ignore them. Yes, then like they they they can turn a loss into a win, Like it's what keeps happening with these people, and it's purely the result of not being willing to continue throwing down, like you have to actually break the sons of bitches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean for me, I have this like constant flashback to what happened when they when they announced Biden won the twenty twenty election. Yeah, and I and I used to live in West Hollywood and people were cheering in the streets. John Legend and Christy Tagan were in there, like, bro, I saw this.
Speaker 3: Yes, We're in their car through the moon roof. They're waving like their Queen Elizabeth.
Speaker 1: Like they had just done it. And I'm like, I'm like, you know, that was cool? That that that I mean cool. I mean it's great that Trump didn't get re elected that time. Yeah, it's sad that that that that was great, But like that wasn't even like we're not that was that was barely even step one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that wasn't even step one. Yeah, yeah you gave up. You just you won.
Speaker 2: And that's it, right, you're thinking that, Yeah, you're not paying attention to like how the storytelling needs to continue to happen.
Speaker 3: Right, So, and that's what they started doing.
Speaker 2: They were selling magazines, you dude, that and and in this magazine was the first movie advertisement for the first movie, Birth of a Nation.
Speaker 3: Right, So you they were printing magazines and they was doing this.
Speaker 2: So look we got magazines, now we got movies, right, and you know Birth of a Nation, right, obviously, that's that's introduced the world to the Klan.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You could buy merch, you could buy like oh Confederate like like uniforms.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: They promoted lynching events like and so like it's like, yo, come on Sunday after church, we're finna hang somebody you feel me brings brings some potatoes, you know, so like you would you you're, you're, you're. It's essentially it's their version of Twitter, right, it's their version of social media. Like we when you can control the media, you make it seem a little more fun because it's like, oh, you know, I just bought a little uniform for my kids.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. Now, it's just about Virginia. You know what I'm saying. He's just honoring his grandpa, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So so, yeah, you could they were going to see movies, right, you could buy merch right and yeah, and this magazine like started in eighteen ninety three, like it continued for decades. Right, they continue to sell this magazine. Right, they would have like essay contests and quizzes. Right they would. Now this should also make a sound familiar to you too. They wouldn't make sure that schools had the correct version of history. And how would they do that? They would join the school boards.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's always the path to victory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, always, Yeah, so they you know, it's these magazines, these essay contests like on some like Highlights magazine.
Speaker 3: You remember Highlights Magazine.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, Like all these different things that again, because it's about the kids, it's about getting them involved. And then you make sure that your kids at they school got the correct version of history, right, which is.
Speaker 3: Tried and true way to do.
Speaker 2: Now, the question one would ask, which will cover the next time, which we'll cover in the next episode, is how to hell did this shit stick right, because you're like, if you're the Union and you won, like why are you not? Why are you not pushing back? Like why are you not every time? Which again is something that we could ask ourselves in these days.
Speaker 3: Like why like.
Speaker 2: How is a man with ninety one felony charges? Like why did y'all not shut this down? You know what I'm saying? Like we talked about at the end of the fourth episode with Robert E. Lee where it was like, Yo, we actually should have executed these niggas, you know what I'm saying, Like, had we have executed them, right, maybe that would have been a thing, right, But but you're I just it's hard to understand how they didn't shut it down, and the fact is they actually tried to.
Speaker 3: They really did try, you know.
Speaker 2: And in then in in this next episode, we're going to talk about how they tried.
Speaker 3: And why it didn't work. Yeah, yeah, so all I yeah, I actually thought this was gonna be one episode. My bad. Anyways, Cool, it's cool.
Speaker 1: Zone Media.
Speaker 4: It is never just one It's never just one episode, never just one.
Speaker 3: All right, So Behind the Bastards tell them where to find them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, check us out on Behind the Bastards. Listen to the episodes about Bobby Lee. Uh and about how the Lost cos Mythology specifically talked about his life and uh yeah, uh good a hell?
Speaker 4: I love you.
Speaker 3: Politics with Pride right.
Speaker 2: All right, now, don't you hit stop on this pod. You better listen to these credits. I need you to finish this thing so I can get the download numbers. Okay, so don't stop it yet, but listen. This was recorded in East Lost boil Heights by your boy Propaganda. Tap in with me at prop hip hop dot com. If you're in the Coldbrew coffee we got Terraform Coldbrew. You can go there dot com and use promo code hood get twenty percent off get yourself some coffee. This was mixed, edited, and mastered by your boy Matt Alsowski killing the Beast Softly. Check out his website Matdowsowski dot com.
Speaker 3: I'm a speller for you because.
Speaker 1: I know m A T.
Speaker 2: T O S O W s Ki dot com Matdowsowski dot com. He got more music and stuff like that on there. So gonna check out the heat. Politics is a member of Cool Zone Media. Executive produced by Sophie Lichterman, part of the iHeartMedia podcast network. Your theme music and scoring is also by the one and nobly mattaw Sowski. Still killing the beats softly, so listen. Don't let nobody lie to you. If you understand urban living, you understand politics.
Speaker 3: These people is not smarter than you. We'll see y'all next week.