Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in What's Right? Would Nick write Episode two thirty three on a somewhat bitter sweet day? You know, we we got to see a great basketball game last night. We got to see Jamal Murray continue to write an NBA story that is without precedent, really, and we also got to see a guy who is doing his best to climb up the NBA pantheon. In Nikola Jokic show you how great players, truly historically great players, even in games where they don't seem to have it and are uncharacteristically sloppy, not that sharp. You're like, oh, he still had twenty five, twenty and nine as he climbs up the all time ranks, and it was against the backdrop of and this is the case with every playoff game Lebron plays in. At this point, what could be the final playoff game of the career of the great best player of all time. And so we will get into all of that. We will also do a draft recap. Also, shout out and happy, I can't believe it. Nineteenth birthday to one of my favorite co hosts, one of my three favorite children, and one of my four favorite human beings to ever live, Diora as she wakes up in sunny Santa Cruz, California this morning, nineteen years old. So a very happy birthday to my beloved daughter, Demonsey. If you would like before we start the show, there you go soon. No, I know you will, But if you wanted to get it on the record to the audience, that's fine too. Episode two thirty three. Here's what missed the cut not on today's show. The Prince gets his fifth year option picked up. The Celtics take a three to one lead on the Heat, but it's a costly as Porzingis seems a lot of cap injuries going around, and in a series watched by hundreds and hundreds of people, the thunder Do in fact sweep the New Orleans Pelicans. And this is the reward you get for being the one seed. You get a walk over in round one as you prepare for a Round two opponent that's gonna have just played a six or seven game war in the Clippers of the MAVs. But of course we must start demons with the news of the day, and that is the Nuggets complete the closest gentleman sweep in NBA history, four games to one. Go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they they did finish the close gentlemen's sweep. Lebron not too much to lose there. I think he had a lot to gain. But yeah, so Ham With that said, Ham is likely out. Ellie wants to re sign Lebron and sounds like they'd be open as signing or drafting Bronni.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So on the bright side of all these things, it's an improvement from last year.
Speaker 2: Correct, Well, okay, so I mean it's not getting swept, but last year was of course in the conference finals. This was in round one, and I will give the Nuggets and Yokichen murray their flowers, I promise, but that isn't where I want to start today's show. I want to start with the Lakers side of things, big picture, and then the Lebron James of it all. So this Lakers team had deep playoff run upside if everything fell right for them in relation to their aging superstars, health and productivity. And what makes this season so such a tough pill to swallow and so bitter sweet for and mostly just bitter for Laker fans is no matter what bill of goods Darvin Ham tries to sell you about health of the roster and about people being focused on rotations when it's about availability, the fact of the matter is this. The Lakers four best players played eighty two, seventy six, seventy six and seventy one games. They were remarkably healthy, and there are a lot of reasons why the Lakers got off to their twenty four and twenty five start. As The Athletic did a pretty good job of laying out in its article today, the total refusal to start your best players until the fifty game mark of the season shirt didn't help, which put them behind the eight ball. And as I said, the day of the trade deadline, because as much crap as Darvin Ham gets, fairly to a degree, to me, the main villain of this Lakers season is not the head coach, but is the front office that stood pat at the deadline, that didn't even make any moves around the margins for reasons that never made sense to me. And this isn't second guessing. This was first guessing when I saw a team like Dallas just make the minor ad of you know what, let's go ahead and trade for Daniel Gafford because we think he can give us some quality backup five minutes and folks said to me, are you nick, you're whining about not getting Daniel gafferd that's gonna make the difference. Well, when you're playing the defending champs in round one and games two, in games five literally come down to the final shot of the game, you do wonder if ten minutes from Daniel Gafford rather than ten minutes from Jackson Hayes, would that have been worth one possession? Would that would would the would that have been worth one possession in a couple of games? Maybe maybe not? And so I don't think it was a well coached team. I don't think it was a well put together team. And I think that, yes, right now, Jokic and Jamal are better than Lebron and Ad. That's not really deniable, but it is close enough that the difference in this series was supporting cast members. The difference in the series was Michael Porter Junior. Shout out to him being unbelievable under the backdrop of true family tragedy, under the backdrop of his brother being banned from the league and his other brother being sent to prison. Michael Porter Junior just played the best basketball of his life twenty three and eight a night on fifty five forty nine splits. So it's a great job by him. He deserves credit. Jamal Murray, who again i'll get to more in depth, not one hundred percent, not shooting great throughout the series, hits a walk off in Game two, and yesterday plays well throughout the entirety of the game on one leg and hits another semi walk off. And then of course there's Joker. But what once again is gonna be tough to swallow for Laker fans is as because Jokers so great. It's not like you're shocked by his production. You went into the series, probably anticipating about this level of production. He didn't hit those insane shot clock beating heaves like he did last year. He didn't have one like just absolutely steal your soul half like he did Game one last year. And it just wasn't enough. And now if folks want to say, well, look, you know Ad needed to be better, I guess AD did he wear down at the end of these games.
Speaker 3: Sure came down to one possession. I think they could hit some free throws. Lebron hit, he missed one after one. Austin Reeves took a turnaround mid range as like one of the last shots.
Speaker 2: He also, I know that killed me the.
Speaker 3: He missed. He didn't. But like I'm saying, it came down to a possession, Austin Reeves missed two with three free throws on a on a foul three point shot.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's right. That and then Dinwiddie, who's an eighty eight percent free throw shooter in the fourth quarter, missed two. Yeah it does of course. So it's there are things the Lakers could have done, there's and there's no excuses here, and it just that the Nuggets are the better team. Do I think there are worlds that exist where right now it's three to two Lakers. Sure do I think in the majority of basketball universes right now it's three to two Nuggets. Yeah, I do. I think a four to one Nugget series win is not an outlier result, but an unlikely result given how these these games were played. But it's what happened and so and the other factor of it is, I do wonder how much the Lakers would have left in the tank even if they were to get past the Nuggets in this round with a rested, young, hungry, ferocious Timberwolves team waiting for a week, and Denver is more likely to be up to that challenge. So all that's, you know, I think that is a fair sober minded commentary. Now, I do want to talk about what we just saw from Lebron James, because what's going to happen on television today my show included, is there's going to be the micro on the game. There's going to be the nugget side of things well deserved, and then there's going to be looking out, way out in the distance at Lebron's future and there's not going to be a hell of a lot of this. It is unfathomable and historically unprecedented by a factor of ten that the oldest player in the league just played in that series at that level, for those number of minutes, at that efficiency. The oldest guy in the league, who has played more minutes than anyone ever, who has played more playoff games than anyone ever, who has more wear and tear than anybody in the history of the sport, just played a series against the defending champs, playing forty one minutes a night, giving you twenty eight seven to nine on fifty seven percent from the field, fifty seven percent. That that guy this season, in year twenty one, when the entirety of basketball history, pardon me, combined in year twenty one scored like twelve hundred points and had a few hundred rebounds put together. All of them. This year played seventy one games in the regular season seventy two actually because the play in tournament FI I'm sorry, the n season tournament final doesn't count. Then you had the play in tournament, so we're now at seventy three. Five playoff games gave you seventy eight games of basketball at twenty six seven and eight on fifty four percent from the field and forty one percent from three that in this series led the whole series in the newly in vogue stocks categories steals and blocks combined. Played for the most part, B plus A minus defense, a level offense, and show no signs of slowing down again. This is where I will I don't think Lebron is done, but Lebron is deeper into his career than any of the other all time legends. So if he were done, he played longer than everybody else. So how did everybody else look? At the end? Kareem ten points four rebounds a game. That's how it ended for Kareem. Michael Jordan as a wizard twenty points five rebounds, forty four percent from the field. Kobe Bryant at the end, how did it look? Seventeen points for his exists on thirty six percent from the field. Tim Duncan, how did it look? Tim Duncan nine points, seven rebounds on forty nine percent from the field. He's deeper into his career than any of those all time legends got and still performing at this level. And it's that the only reason you can't say it's unprecedented across sports is because to his credit what we just saw Tom Brady do. But it is brady esque in that regard, and except somehow the athleticism is still there, the ability to impact winning while not at the level Lebron. This is something I got it in argument with Brew about a few weeks ago, and I kind of want to spend time on it here. Then we'll talk future, then we'll talk Jamal Murray. There's no question Lebron does not impact winning as much as younger, younger Lebron or peak Lebron. But let's ask it in a different way. How many guys in the league right now impact winning more than Lebron James. Does he impact winning more than Kevin Durant does? Yes? Does he impact winning more than Kawhi Leonard does? Yes? Does he impact winning more than Steph Curry does? Yes? Now does he impact winning more than Joker? No? Does he impact winning right now more than Luca? I don't think so. Does he impact winning more than a healthy Yiannis?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Does he impact winning more right now than Shay? Probably not? Does the impact winning right now more than Anthony Edwards? Maybe not? But that's five guys there, and demon's I see a little does he twinkle in your eye? Is there someone you think I'm leaving out? If there is, it's fair like, go ahead, like I'm just doing them off the top my head.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I mean I was thinking about guys on my team, but Tatum and Brown it's it's it's more of a collective.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's close, right, Like, do I think do I think? I mean this might sound I'm maybe I'm wrong. Maybe people will disagree. And some of this just has to do with history and understanding out of control games and all of that. But do I think the Celtics would have a better, worse or the same championship chance if you switched Jason Tatum and Lebron James. I don't think it worse. I don't. I don't think they take a step backwards under that scenario. Now, can't like that? I mean, maybe you disagree Tatum on that. I'm sinking. I'm saying, if you if right now you took Tatum off the Celtics and put Lebron in his place, does the team have a better chance of winning the championship, a worst chance of winning the championship, or the same. My answer is I think it's about the same. I don't think they get worse. Certainly, if you switched out Jalen Brown for Lebron, that team gets better. So again, like, who are the guys who have? Are there ten guys in the league? Devin Booker is a perennial All NBA guy who has a bigger impact on winning thirty nine year old year twenty one Lebron James or Devin Booker. It's hands down Lebron. It's not even a question at least my opinion.
Speaker 3: So top ten timp ten guys that at the game the most.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is what I'm saying. That is exactly That is exactly what I'm saying. What I am saying is that we've done this weird thing this year where instead of comparing Lebron to other players that we think are great right now, we're comparing Lebron to older versions or younger versions, previous versions of Lebron. And he doesn't pass that test, But does he pass the would I rather? Would I rather have him right now than Tyrese Haliburton, the best player on a team that's gonna be in Round two? Yes, I would would I rather have him right now? More? Than Donovan Mitchell. Guy who's gonna be the best player on a team in round two? Yes, I would what like the there And you know what, I should have included Jalen Brunson in that first category because of what Brunson is doing is remarkable, It's absolutely remarkable. He deserves credit, but you can't get to ten guys. And he's the oldest player in the sport. Last do you know who the oldest player in the sport was last year to Monsey, And I'm not going to include he was basically a coach for three years. So not including Dedonna's Hassel. The oldest player in the NBA last year Andrea Guadala. Andrea Gala, he scored seventeen points on the season, played in eight games. That was the oldest guy. Like the history of when you're the oldest guy in the league, you're it's not that you're not doing this, it's that you're not doing anything within ten standard dvs of this. So what do I want Lebron to do next? I mean, I'd like him to come to the Knicks. Personally, Yes, that's a little selfish because I live here. It also would be an unbelievable final act are you getting because I don't think the Knicks are gonna.
Speaker 3: If he goes to New York.
Speaker 2: Well they have to sell a kidney. But yeah, I mean next season tickets already through the roof. You get Lebron James, but they need a power forward. And I mean that you're seeing what they're doing without Julius Randall. I know, you know, Julius Randall. Good regular season, bad playoff guy. It is an iconic franchise that has not won in fifty three years, and as great as this season is going, they're not winning the title this year.
Speaker 3: You think Tims would be smart with his usage.
Speaker 2: Well so I do. I do wonder that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: There's there's a lot of reasons that's not gonna happen. There's, you know, some not a great history between Worldwide West and Leon Rose and Rich and Lebron, and there's you know and Lebron's comments about Jim Dolan, all those things. I understand why it's not likely, but that's where he could win a championship. He would help get them over the top. It's an iconic franchise and it would truly add to his legend. Obviously. I mean, I've gone through it before. The Sixers, who have a ton of cap space, makes sense. The Calves are an interesting one. They could make sense. But what do I think is gonna happen. I think he's gonna stay with the Lake. I think he's going to leverage his spot with the Lakers to get them to draft Bronnie in the second round, to get a three year full max with a no trade clause, and see if they can make a few moves and he can stay at this level and they can be back in it again. That's what I think is going to happen. Is that what I want to happen. No? Is that what I think is his single best chance at winning a championship? No? But do I think lebron James owes anybody anything when it comes to his basketball future at this point, of course not. The guy has literally given more to the game than any player ever. He has played more than any player ever. He has entertained us for longer than any player ever. He can do whatever he damn well chooses.
Speaker 3: YEA happens if somebody ends up drafting Bronnie before the Lakers, though.
Speaker 2: So that is where that that is actually a conversation We're gonna have on first things first today, which is should a different team draft Bronnie for the fifty to fifth pick, And it's it's worth a discussion, it really is. If you are like, let the let's just go to the second round. See, I don't think the Spurs it makes sense. And I don't think the Spurs uh well no, but they do have a second round pick. They have the thirty fifth pick. The I don't think the Spurs make sense because they want, you know, it to be a Wimby based development that.
Speaker 3: But slow grow that one.
Speaker 2: The Knicks are drafting at thirty eight, The Sixers are drafting at forty one. The Heat are drafting at forty three. The Clippers are drafting at forty six. Now the Clippers have no money, so take them out of it. The Warriors are drafting at fifty two. If I were running any of those teams, would I at least have a conversation about, Okay, hey, if we like, if we draft him, are you coming here? And if so? I now the you said you said ransom, Like, that's that's a different thing, which is like we're not having a conversation, We're just drafting him and if you want to play with him, I guess you're coming here. I don't think that's going to happen. I don't think a team is going to Yeah, I don't. I don't the I think that there is too much I I think there is too much league wide respect and appreciation for it. Yeah, then all of a sudden, And also it would seem like this is it'd be one thing if there, if they're now, if Bronnie. This is an odd spot because if Bronnie were a better prospect, right if he were a guy that if his name was Bronnie Jamison instead of James, that a team's like, hey, we have a late round one, early round two grade on him, then it would be totally legitimate for a team to say, we're not consulting with lebron James. This is a player we like who we think can come in and help us. We're drafting him. It doesn't appear that that's the case. What appears to be the case right now is there are some NBA teams that look at him as a long term developmental prospect. A lot of NBA teams that right now look at him as undraftable. And if he were to be drafted. It would be because of the family connection, right, and so if he were a great, you know, a potential lottery pick, then a team would just take him because they want him, right. So I think the whole thing is it's.
Speaker 3: For a team that could win a chip next year or like it's like trying to win a championship.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, a team that thinks they're a piece away and would want to see if that would sway Lebron. That's what it would be. All right now, as promised, because we're gonna have a lot of time to talk about Nuggets Timberwolves later on Thursday because that that series don't start till Saturday. I do want to talk about Jamal Murray because I cannot find a cross sport comp for him. And by the way, if you're watching on YouTube and you can think of one in the NBA or in another sport, please send it my way. But Jamal Murray what never an All Star, never All NBA was you know, a mid lottery pick who in the regular season in his career has been a good player. I mean he was All Rookie second team, right, He's been a good player in the regular season. Injuries have you know, done things to him, But at no point and this isn't my take, this is the NBA voters take. At no point in his career at the end of a year have people said he is one of the six best guards in basketball. And no point in his career has he by the All Star break been considered whether because of injury or availability or play, an All Star level player. And he now is building a truly iconic postseason resume. All right, full list in NBA history of guys with more fifty point playoff games than Jamal Murray, Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain, Alan Iverson, that's the list. He has two. That's the full list of people with more than two. He was unbelievable in the playoffs, what the bubble playoffs, going to the conference finals. He then was hurt for two years and the team couldn't get out, couldn't get out of Round one one year, and couldn't get out of a round two the next year. He then came back, they never faced elimination and won the title, and the following year hit a buzzer beater to cemit a twenty point comeback in Game two, a damn near buzzer beater to win the series in Game five and is just getting started. I I've never seen a career like this for a guy who is a good player in the regular season.
Speaker 3: Is he not one of the like, the most mid range taking players right now? Like, he's also a guy that I feel like it's bread and butter in there for him. And you've always said like this, I mean, good at the mid range, but I mean, I don't know, he's just shooting everywhere.
Speaker 2: I don't know if yeah, I mean, like this year he took sixteen shots a game, six threes a game, So ten non threes. You gotta assume three or four of those non threes are at the ram or you know, in the paint. So what you know, maybe five mid range shots a game. But playoff career fifty eight games, twenty five points on forty seven forty ninety splits. Regular season career eighteen points on forty five thirty eight eighty seven splits. And even if you're like, well take out, let's just go his last five years, okay, since he became who he is in the regular season twenty points, five assists, forty six thirty nine splits in that same span in the postseason twenty five points six assists on forty seven forty splits. He's just a killer. Shout out to him, man, I it is in a lot of ways kind of the reverse Embeid sadly a guy who is so that's like a galaxy brain take that. I think in this unique circuit of the stance, maybe is yes, so teams never foul win tied, but if you are the if the circle, if you are the when when tied in the other team is gonna be able to take the last shot. Teams never fell if you're the older team and the team that is more likely to be on fumes and the team that is, you know, the underdog being in a situation where your best case is well, I actually think yeah, the the no time amounts to me thing was less relevant to the foul or not foul because Denver's gonna basically be holding for the last I guess it is relevant. But the the you're playing for a stop there is what you're doing there either way, Uh, there's an argument to be made foul and have the ball down two or down one if he misses one, and take your chances that way and just try to end it rather than play for overtime. It would be no one's ever done it on purpose. I think there are certain circumstances where it actually would be. Plus EV and a team playing a thirty nine year old, plus your other superstar can't raise his left arm above his head, plus you're at altitude and gassed. All of those things you can make.
Speaker 3: An Jamal Murray is the final shit. Like with everything that you were saying about Jamal Murray and how deadly is at that time of the game, they probably want to get a free throw line so you can give yourself a chance. But yeah, they put a bunch of Jamal Murray comps in here.
Speaker 2: All right. So here's the thing. So people brought up Eli, I don't think that's a that's actually a good comp because here's the thing. Here's the thing about Eli. Eli had two unbelievable playoff runs. As far as his team's success. He was awesome on the second one, He was decent on the pretty more than decent. He was very good on the on the first one. But he had four other postseason appearances where they lost their first playoff game. Eli made the playoffs six times and was one and done four of them and then won the two Super Bowls. That's not what we're seeing with Jamal Murray. Julian Edelman is maybe a decent one. But I don't think Julian Edelman. Let me look, I I think it was he was more about the reason he has those postseason records is the number of playoff games he played in the opportunities, not because he was this playoff juggernaut. And you know, I'll fact check myself on it. Edelman, Well, at the end, he did have some really monster playoff games, that is true. So maybe Edelman is there. Maybe the Edelman's not a bad one, I guess. And people say Robert Robert Ory wasn't all of a sudden some like, he wasn't great, like an all star level player in these playoff games. He just hit huge shots, and Murray's doing more than that. All right, let's move on. This is forty minutes on the opening topic. Uh, let we just keep going to Montay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Anthony Edwards is taking the league by storm. You mentioned if a few shows ago that this could be the NBA's torch passing is now Kevin Durant, Steph and Lebron are all in Cancun. Anthony Edwards just become the guy of the NBA.
Speaker 2: Well, so a couple things that I think is funny. Folks are real quick on the first piece of it. A thing that's going all around Twitter is oh my goodness. These are the first playoffs since two thousand and five that Lebron, Steph and Kad none of them are in. And it's like, yes, that is true, but if I may, Lebron is doing a lot of that heavy lifting. Durant was not in the league until the eight playoffs. Steph was not in the league until the twenty ten playoffs. Those guys didn't make a postseason. Durant's first postseason that he played in was two ten. Curry's first postseason that he played in was was it twenty twelve? Was twenty thirteen. So, yes, it is true, this is the first playoffs without the three of them, but that is mostly a Lebron James Statt. Those guys are you know, it's nice that they get to be a part of it. But set that aside, man, Anthony Edwards is so electric And I sounded a little like jingoistic on TV yesterday, but I'm you know, sorry, not sorry. There is a when I know it's become very in vogue to bleep on American born NBA players like ah All the MVPs are foreign born guys. They have more skill over there. They're taught the game better. There's never been like. Anthony Edwards is a vintage American NBA player and I love it. He is going to beat you from every single level and dunk on your face in a none of the none of as great as and they are the best players in the league right now. I give him credit. As great as the international players are, none of them were yet to see one with the best American born players full arsenal. Now, it doesn't mean they're not better, right, But like Jannis, Yeah, well, Yiannis has the athleticism, right, but he doesn't have the full rounded out game Jok can do and Luca can do everything offensively without the athleticism, right, Anthony Edwards is gonna ship talk you like Luca's got the two block you at the rim, stunk on your head. I know you, Luca annoys you. I know he does dunk on your face. I just love him, and he's demons. He's twenty two years old. Yeah, twenty two, So he's real quick. Guys full list last fifty years. Hold on, real quick, last fifty years. Full list of guys twenty two or under to lead a team, be the unquestioned best player on a deep playoff run, finals, conference finals, something like that. Kevin Durant, Lebron James. That's a complete list. That's it. Anthony Edwards twenty two years old. Now, I'm not saying he's gonna do it, but if he were to do it, he enters hallowed ground. Luca did it at twenty three, Shaq did it at twenty three. Now, Kobe did it young, but that was and Kobe was unbelievable. That was Shack's team. You know, Shaq was the best guy. Uh. I'm excited to see how far Anthony Edwards can take this.
Speaker 3: All right, next, all right, so things aren't looking super Sonny In Philadelphia, Joel Embiid isn't like in the way that the playoff series has turned it out, and he's getting dirties, he's hitting people. Uh but uh, he's even calling out fans for not coming to the game at this At this point, do you think Joel Embiide has done irreversible damage to his image.
Speaker 2: I didn't see that. I don't what's going on there? What you didn't see? What go ahead?
Speaker 3: I didn't see him call it. I didn't see. I don't know if it was a tweeter, if he was like doing that in like a opress or the fans, the fans not coming to lam.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I was at that game in Philly on Sunday, and I don't know if you saw, Demonse that this was a good example of the difference. You know what, Let me tell a quick story. Let me hold on. I'm gonna interrupt myself as I often do. Remind me to tell a story about where I was sitting. Demonse, Okay, don'tkay forget to remind me that crowd did sound like MSG that the Madison Square Garden tickets are so expensive. Though. Let me give you an example, Demanse, I'm gonna those seats that you had for uh Clippers maps, right, those seats that you had for Clippers maps, which again it's Los Angeles, so it's like they are a super cheap ticket, but it is the Clippers. Those seats were four hundred and fifty dollars. They were sideline for two tickets fourhundred fifty bucks sideline call it sixteenth eighteenth row. Okay, those same exact two tickets at MSG tonight are fifty two hundred dollars side it is when I say it is x No, they're twenty six hundred seat for those seats demnse and those were good seats, but they weren't life changing seats. The cheapest ticket in the building, okay, right now, the cheapest fifty can't be right. The cheapest ticket in the building, it is sectioned three seventeen top bowl of MSG in the corner or four hundred and seventy dollars each. Okay. So what's happened is some of the most diehard Knicks fans who aren't corporate tickets, who don't have a ton of money, they figured out cheaper to go to Philly, cheaper to make the drive or take the train to Philadelphia in order to go to the game. And it was like a fifty to fifty Knicks sixers crowd. It was unbelievable. So that was Embiid's frustration. I will cut embeads slack in this regard. Man, he is playing on one leg, his half, his face has collapsed due to bells palsy. When he goes to the bench, the team dies, so he has to play the whole game and by the fourth quarter he's exhausted. What I was saying earlier when I said Jamal is the reverse Embiid, what I mean is is a good regular season player who in the playoffs is unbelievable. Embiid historically has been an unbelievable regular season player who in the playoffs is just good. And so that this postseason, I actually think he's played well under adverse circumstances. And also, man Jalen Brunson, like I'm excited for the game tonight. Jalen Brunton first player in NBA history to have eighty five points and twenty assists in consecutive playoff games. First player in NBA history, No one's ever done it. And that brings me to the story I wanted you to remind me to tell, which was I had. I was right next to demons the scorers table in the between the Knicks bench and the scorers table for this Sixers Knicks game. Okay, so the way of seats work is there's true court side feet on the wood where Michael Parsons and c. J. Stroud were sitting. There's that there's second row court side, feet on the wood, but there's a row of people in front of you, and then there's row one in the actual like stands. Right. I was row one in the stands, so not court side, but pretty unbelievable seats right, and I'm between the Knicks bench and the SCORESS table. Into the first quarter, Jalen Brunson's dad, Rick Brunson, who is playing in the NBA for a long time, went to Temple, a Philly legend, and Nick's assistant coach sees me and his smiling He's like, hey, you owe my son an apology. And I'm like, yo, what do you What do you mean? He's like, you owe him an apology? And I think this is in relation to the flip of me after well, it was when the Knicks signed Jalen Brunson three years you know, we were still remote from the MAVs. So a couple of years ago, I was like, listen, he's a good player, but if you think he's going to be the best player on a you know, a high level team, you're out of your mind. Essentially, I thought of him what I think almost everyone thought of him. It's not like I was like this guy stinks this whatever it is. I was like, he's a good player, but he's not. If he's your best player, you're not a good team. And I was wrong, Like Flatley, he's been unbelievable. And so I what Rick didn't know was I have already you know, I don't know if i've said I'm sorry. I don't know that I need to apologize, but I have owned that I was wrong. And so I was like no, I was like I already did. He was like, no, you need to do it on TV. I'm like, no, I already did. I was like I had him fourth on my I AMVP ballot, which I didn't really explain to him. I don't actually have a ballot, but I pretend I have a ballot to release it anyway. But like on my fake MVP ballot, I had him fourth and he was like okay. And so now we're having like a cool back and forth. But you know how I talk, I talk with my hands. He does the same thing. And at this point he has walked, so he's kind of like between the person that's true court side and the person the score table is in charge of the Knicks challenges. I have stood up and I am right behind the person who's second row court side, and we are two feet apart, laughing or whatever, but talking with our hands. And the ref comes over and asks Rick if he wants me to be thrown out, to be ejected. And by the way, man shout out to Rick Brunton for being a good dude, because he told me. He's like no, no, no, He's like, we're cool. We're just talking, you know what I mean, Everything's all good, We're having fun. But Rick Brunton could have really screwed me there. He could have been like, yeah, get him out of here. Like do you know how mortified it was? It was at the end, it was between the first and the second quarter. It would have been like it was right before they came back from commercial, Like can you imagine if on the Richard Jefferson broadcast they're like, oh, the referees kicking a fan out, and it's me like and so and again like I wasn't heck, I wouldn't do anything wrong. But the ref just saw.
Speaker 3: Rick's with what he thought was just a fan.
Speaker 2: He probably no, no, no, I think. I don't think the ref did know who I was. And it's fine, but he's just all a coach having a very demonstrative discussion with a fan and now they have both like stood and there we weren't not like you know what I mean. And again it was one hundred percent friendly. But it was so funny that the ref just saw it. And in that moment I was like, oh man, he really could have screwed me there. He could have been like, yep, get him out of here. He said my son was a bad contract. Yeah, no, it was great. Now one added piece of it, the funny Rick Brunton anecdote, and then we really gotta move on. Brew covered Rick in the NBA and mentioned him regularly in two context. One is whenever we talk summer league. He says, man, I was at a summer league once when Rick Brunson looked like Jason Kidd, and he uses that as an example as to why you shouldn't overrate summer league. But the other reason he mentioned Rick Brunson a lot is because Brew is just the right age where if you cut I heard somebody's dad and that kid's now playing, you're just gonna call the kid the dad's name. So basically, every time we have a jail in Brunson discussion, Bru calls him Rick Brunson and we just let it go. So if anything there we should be a beloved show in the Brunson household for father and son. But yeah, so that's that's my anecdote from Philly. Take a quick break, Come right back, play Private Investigator. All right, welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright? Episode two thirty three, Demons, Let's get right to it. We're gonna play a game, Nick Right, Private Investigator lead us.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're playing Nick Right Private Investigator. Today. Life is full of mysteries. Who was dB Cooper? Our aliens? Real? Why couldn't the Lakers ever defend a back door cut by Aaron Gordon? I'll give you a hit. Oh luckily there's one man. Oh it's Gray Bear, old old man. Oh god, Luckily there is one man capable of solving the biggest mysteries in sports, Nick Right, Private Investigator. Yeah, okay, all right, So first off, we got this Falcons Pinis situation. The station has been blown up with calls of criminal activity involving the Falcons draft Atlanta selected Michael Pennocks junior at number eight, despite paying Kirk Cousins one hundred and eighty million, One of these moves has to be a waste. So detective, right, who is getting robbed?
Speaker 2: First and foremost, I think it's Michael Pinnox. I know people are like, ah, you gotta feel bad for Kirk. He didn't sign up for this. Listen, when you're a NFL financial mercenary, you all of a sudden put yourself in a position where a team might not have loyalty to you because you never played a snap for him. This can happen. So like, I don't I don't really feel for Kirk. Pinnix, on the other hand, is twenty four years old and now they're setting him up to where you know their alleged plan is for him to not play till lose twenty six. That's brutal. So I feel first and foremost, I feel bad for Penicks. Secondly, I feel badly for Atlanta Falcons fans, who, as I explained on Friday, their team has prioritized not bottoming out over trying to be great and win the first Super Bowl in the history of the franchise. And you cannot convince me that this was a coherent offseason, because first of all, they had thirty people in for pre draft visits. Pinnix wasn't one of them. That's odd. Second of all, they gave Kirk Cousins a no trade clause in his contract, Well, that doesn't make sense. Third of all, they structured the contract, so trading him, even if he were to waive the no trade clause in a year, is incredibly punitive to them cap wise, when they could have still guaranteed them all that money, but made it to where it's not punitive for them to trade him a year from now, which leads me to believe this was not their original plan, and that makes it unjustifiable because you had the college football season was over, you knew your cap situation, you knew the draft order before free agency started, so it's not like you got new information, and so they just don't want to ever have the Desmond Ritters situation at quarterback again. But you should have either had the courage of your convictions and took Pinnicks and used this hundred million dollars on defensive players to help the team and build a great team around him, or sign Kirk and use the eighth overall pick to draft the first defensive player off the board. Instead, they went quarterback quarterback with their two biggest offseason assets their cap space and the eighth pick. And so yes, that should prevent them from it being a total disaster, but it also puts a ceiling on them. So I feel most badly for Michael Pinnix and second most badly for Falcons fans.
Speaker 3: Next, Bradley Beal will be damned. What do you think this is a movie? Man? Phoenix tried to pull off a free but botch the whole operation. Detective right, who deserves the most blame for Phoenix being swept.
Speaker 2: Matt Ishbia. Matt Ishbia bought the team and then just couldn't help himself, bought the team and then immediately trades seventy of their future assets and picks and everything for Kevin Durant, and then this offseason trades the rest of it for Bradley Beal. And so listen, we can put it on Durant again, like, who are we comparing Durant to? Are we comparing Durant to Prime Durant? That's unfair? Are we comparing Durant to the rest of the league. He is still one of the fifteen best players in the league. He had a good series. He's thirty six years old. He's not going to be able to single handedly carry you. And honestly, that's never really been exactly who he is. Booker is. You know, he has a lot of A plus playoff games and a lot of D minus playoff games, not a ton of in the middle. And the roster was poorly built. Some of us saw it coming. Some of us said the Bradley Beal trade was insane and using all your remaining assets to add one piece, that is the piece you least need a perimeter scorer when you need a point guard and you need Biggs. We told you that was a problem to begin with. And now you don't control any of your own picks. You don't have any second round picks left. Even Beal's got a no trade, it's kind of a disaster for them next.
Speaker 3: So we've got a pretty big file on Katie leaving teams, Detective, right, do you suspect Katie will demand another trade?
Speaker 2: So that's tricky, man, You look great there to Marse Uh. That is it's tricky to say whether or not he'll demand another trade. I I would like to see him elsewhere, but a fifteen would be weird?
Speaker 3: Is there not?
Speaker 2: Can't trade go ahead?
Speaker 3: I don't. I guess I'm not a detective, but like, is there not? Like if any team that Katie has ever been on, is this not the situation that he should leave the most?
Speaker 2: No? I mean that's a great point, But you wonder if he's just gonna feel like I handpicked the situation to be. To be fair, Katie, he's only you know, demanded a trade. Well, I guess twice, but from the same team twice. Really out of one spot. He left Oklahoma City in free agency. He left the Warriors in free agency. Totally is right. But yeah, they are screwed. I mean, there's no question about it. They have to make and you probably would get more for Booker because Booker's younger. I know folks would love to see Durant go to Oklahoma City. I don't know if Oklahoma City wants. I don't know what they want to do. I mean, Durant's thirty six. Okay, SE's the one seed they're rolling now. I'll tell you a team that I could see. But then for Durant, it's weird. It's like, am I kind of copying Lebron? You don't want to do that, But Miami makes sense. The trade package that Miami was ready to offer for Damian Lillard finding a way to offer that for Kevin Durant. I mean, that's that one makes sense. But I don't know what he's gonna do, to be honest with you, all Right, Next.
Speaker 3: Jalen Brunson dropped the Knicks playoff record forty seven points on Sunday. Not even you, as who has been on their beat for decades, saw Brunson becoming the star he has in New York sides Rick Detective, Right, Ye, how do we all miss the clues?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Because there's no I mean, there's not a lot of precedent in all of NBA history for a player his size dominating the way he does. Just isn't a guy as short as he is being this type of scorer. We saw it for a year with Celtics Isaiah Thomas, but we kind of knew that was smoking mirrors. We knew that wasn't real. You know, the original Isaiah Thomas obviously dominated, but it was more of a floor game him putting up these types of and I know he was great in his last playoffs with Dallas, but him carrying a team this way and it's not Keep in mind, he scored forty seven, the team scored ninety seven. He had forty seven and ten for a team that didn't break one hundred. So I don't. I don't think people really missed. I mean, I guess they did. But it's reasonable when in all of NBA history the only guy's under six six to be the unquestioned best player on a champion are Steph Curry and Isaiah Thomas. To think a guy who's not even six feet tall is gonna do what he's done, it's just it's it's hard to predict, it's hard to see coming. And so I mean, I don't. I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 3: All right, Next, it's never too early for never too early for a mock draft or to bet on the draft. Something doesn't smell right though, Shadu Sanders is even money to be the number one pick, Detective, Right, is this the squarest beat you've ever seen?
Speaker 2: It's all there, man, It doesn't get much squarer than making a bet at even odds that involves you essentially loaning a sportsbook your money interest free for three hundred and sixty three days. Like, hey, here you go, take my money. I get zero you know, return interest or investment, and I'll see if I can get you know that even money back. It's yeah, of all the post. If you're gonna do a long term futures bet, you have to incorporate the opportunity cost of the fact that that money is sitting there interest free for you. Meanwhile the sports book gets to invest it and make a return on it. Like that is just it's just an the I am not here to tell people not to gamble on sports, because I gamble on sports. But do not if you if you want to make this bet, find a human being you can make it with that you have good credit with that you just the loser pays up on you know, once it comes in, not that it's held an.
Speaker 3: Escort number one me and you, okay, get you one hundred and fifty bus you want it?
Speaker 2: No that okay? I didn't think so I was like, I don't think that's a good bet, buddy, All right, quick break answer your questions. Next, what's right? Wow? What a moment. Sometimes demanse hard work pays off dedication, hard work, just in How about this from the mock draft database, which graded every single public mock draft. There was all of it, across all hundreds of mock drafts. People that do this professionally, people that do this year round, My dear friend person. I did my first ever television appearance on FS one with Peter Schrager. He won the competition with an all time score of fifty two point five, which is really elite. It's one of their highest scores ever. He's totally plugged in and did a great job. I saw they posted their mock draft standings this morning and my mock appeared to not have been graded, and I was wounded by that demonse. It was like they didn't take me seriously as a mock drafter. So I messaged them and said, hey, guys, think you missed one. Not sure how I did. I don't think I beat Shraker, but I would appreciate it if you would tell me how I did. And they just got back to me. In the entire mock draft universe, your buddy Nick Wright eighteenth place of all the mock drafts, a top twenty finish in my debut season as a mock drafter. Let me see if I can get some context for some of the experts that I beat. Let me go here the find out more. I saw these earlier. Hold on a moment, I would really like to find where the rest. Okay, all right, here we go. So if I came in eighteenth, that means not to listen. I'm not calling people out. I would never do that. But Charles Davis got move the sticks. Daniel Jeremiah, the king of the industry. He came into Ben Solac, Oh from the Ringer post this on social Ben Solac, hold that ol the Ringer Draft Show. You do this year round? Oh my goodness, gracious. Dane Brugler The Beast, the greatest draft guide that has ever existed. Dame Brugler's The Beast thirty third place. My old friend Pete Brisco thirty fifth place. Oh my goodness, gracious, I beat Evan Silva, Benjamin Albright, Eric at Home, Oh my goodness. Florio Pro Football Talk fifty first place. How does that feel? Chris Condroth, he owned Pro Football Focus fifty fifth place. Oh my goodness, gracious, eighteenth place, with a final score, Hold on, what was my final score? Let me go ahead and check this real quick. This is this is really forty three point eight final score. Oh my goodness, two points behind mel Kiper. Oh, oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: I'm happy for you, Buf.
Speaker 2: I am so happy for me too. I decided this year that I was gonna broaden my expertise. I've never been a mock drafter. Last year, my entirety of my mock drafts were Chiefs only, and I just texted him to Brett Veach repeatedly, and people made fun of me about it. But then I saw Kevin Clark at a conference a couple months ago. He took a picture of us together, texted to Beach and Beach Tech. Clark said, hey, tell him to ask Nick where my mock drafts are. So he appreciated it. Now I left Veach alone this year. He had a lot of important things to trying to go for three P. Didn't want to mess with him, and instead I brought my horizons to the whole league top twenty. Oh my goodness, gracious move. Daniel Jeremiah, the Greatest, the guy who's a lot of people believe myself included teams based draft selections off his big board. Dane Brugler who created the greatest draft guid ever beat him? Florio, hold that l Florio, Tayte sticky, you take my pin my mock draft up right next to your Andy Reid's retiring articles. Oh my goodness, gracious. All right, demonse, what are the listener questions? Well? This is thrilling. I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: Richard Winston asked, do you think the Nuggets postseason success will allow Murray to get to get regular season awards?
Speaker 2: Well, I, listen, I think he was going to this year because of last year, but then he got hurt, and so I think that is that has worked against him. All right, let's go fast. Let's try to get a couple. Uh.
Speaker 3: Album asked, Well, the MAVs versus Clipper series go to a seven games, who wins?
Speaker 2: I think it does, and I think the MAVs win. I think it does go seven at this point, and I think the MAVs win. Uh. All right, let's keep going six.
Speaker 3: Niss says Nick is like a nineteen fifties car, nineteen fifties cartoon villain. They got dropped in the wrong time period, and I love it.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what that means, that seems, but I don't know what it means, all right, real.
Speaker 3: Quick, Reginald Pierre Nick, do you think that once again trolling Wild's with the unanswered call tweet while the Lakers were winning was the final bit of the hubris that the sports gods ultimately punished.
Speaker 2: No, I don't believe that I can impact the games from my couch. I don't believe those types of jinxes, and I don't think the sports gods will punish. The sports gods would not punished Lebron James and the Lakers because I wanted to mess with Kevin Wilds. Should be a fun TV show today. I'm on with Colin in just under ninety minutes. I am on TV in just over three hours. Wilds wanted to fight me on the area yesterday. For the first time ever. He lasted longer than anybody else I've ever worked with without wanting to fight me. Was bound oppen at some point. Today. Should be a great show. Talk to you guys, hey, thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget. We're live every Tuesday and Thursday ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe so we can get to two hundred thousand followers around one hundred and fifty thousand, we'd love to get to two hundred thousand. Get demands another plaque, so like, subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,