Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will.
Speaker 2: Be protected sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: So how how far can you push before you before you push too hard? Like what you're dealing with a corporate and you're trying to negotiate and trying to go back and forth and It's like sometimes you can try to, you know, push somebody too hard and then it just blows the deal up and then it's a great question. Nobody wins.
Speaker 4: I would say this, it's as far as my clients want us to go, because we always strategize. I know this, like if you were if you want to pull it up, if you want to take it off the table, we'll take it off the table. We're going on this ride together. So my answer is as far as we like we decide we wanted to go, and if because we're pushing and advocated for something we really stand on as your vision and your brand stand on. If they don't want it, I promise you somebody else will promise.
Speaker 5: Seen it enough?
Speaker 6: You said transactional attorney, right, So like what's the what's the pain? How does a transactional attorney actually make a living?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: Is it through the contracts? It as a retainer Because some people have no idea. Yes, oh you're a lawyer. My mom told me to be one, and they.
Speaker 4: Have no idea. Absolutely, so it could be a hybrid effect. It could be hourly rates, but attorneys, depending on where you go, they do less of hourly rates. It could be flat rates low. Okay, if I've review this contractor costs x amount. But as clients are growing, then you're going to have a hybrid or retainer. And then for transactional deals, when you all hearing deals in the entertainment usually an attorney when the deal is brought and we'll do something called paper like. Then they want you to paper it's you know, the ideas and everything have been discussed and they want you to make sure you're going over with a fine tooth comb, the legal leads and all of that. You get five percent of the deal of this standard pretty much in any side of the industry music, film, television, anything. And then there are other ways for the entrepreneurial people that are attorneys to say, if you bring something of value to your client, then you all collaborate on whatever you know that percentage would be there.
Speaker 5: But generally speaking, if.
Speaker 4: You're on the entertainment side, an attorney will get paid five percent of the deal that's papered that they are like review.
Speaker 5: And going through.
Speaker 6: Can we talk about relationships again, because and I'm glad you use the word silos, because entertainment is your silo. But there's been times when there things have been brought. It might be trademarking, it might be cryptocurrency where that might not be a silo. Talk about how that works with collaborating with another attorney who specialty.
Speaker 4: Is that Absolutely a lot of it is big on. I just love that my clients trust me. I'm like, okay, it's not what I do, and trust I want the best because I always want the best river. I don't want to sit here in Guinea pig what anybody's going through. Like I like to stay on my lane. I like to say I can do what's in my lane when my eyes closed, because I have a passion for and a fervor for it. But when it's something outside and I know there's a lot that could be lost, I'm going to bring in somebody that does the same thing I do in their space. So that's what I do. It's just always knowing. You can never ever know too many people. So if I don't know somebody in space, oh, I got to find them because I need it to look like magic to you all. That's why I almost need to like, oh, this person appeared, but you might not see in the back end. It's like, Okay, figured out all this but like it just has to be because your worlds are moving so fast. So it's my job. I take that very personally to like find the right person. Again, my default is always, am I going to enter this contract?
Speaker 5: Am I going to handle like it's mine?
Speaker 4: I take it that personally, like, so we got to find people who'll get it done.
Speaker 3: So you know, I have a theory that there's no such thing as a bad contract, right because I feel like unless your lawyer just completely lied to you and you were you, you weren't aware of what you actually signed, take that out of it. But like if you're aware of what you signed, because you know a lot of musicians they come back and they have arguments with their former head of their label everythings, and then you're like, you know you took advantage of me, or I signed away my masters and you know I got a I got a ruin deal. I feel like it wasn't a bad deal when you signed it, because if you if it was a bad deal, you wouldn't have signed it. It's like it's a bad deal six months or a year.
Speaker 6: Ernest, what's up? You ever walk into a small business and everything just like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready to see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate, let's Square handle the back end so you can pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live a more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from El Salvador accused of murdering a Texas. Man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you were here illegally, your next you will be fine. Nearly one thousand dollars a day. Imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump America's laws, border and families will.
Speaker 2: Be protected sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security or LATA.
Speaker 3: When you're a different person, Yeah, and you got a lot more leverage. It's like you didn't want to wait, you didn't want to do it independent route. You didn't want to build leverage, which I'm not even knocking it, but that's why your deal with struck the way it is. So I said that before, got some backlash for it, but I just felt like it's everything is always looked at in the reverse. Absolutely, but it's like, what if it didn't work out and I paid you money and I gave you all of this and I didn't make anything from it? Right? So yeah, that's my that's my philosophy on life, that there's no such thing as a bad deal unless you were miss informed.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you this question, though, what about which is a scenario which we want to break? This which is what y'all are doing a lot of people in our community, in the black community, they do it out of desperation. They really need one hundred thousand. I'm not condoning. I'm just throwing it out in the scenarios. They really need that money. It's not coming from anywhere else. No, it's not life changing because we don't have to what I always want to remind people, you started one hundred thousand, You pay the government, got to pay your lawyer, got to pay your manager. So you are probably walking away with fifty to sixty percent of that money, right, But they don't factor that in, but they need it.
Speaker 5: So I want to ask.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know, because I know you, I know your answer probably going me to say, but like, what do you think about that? Because that's probably seventy five percent the reason.
Speaker 3: If you're under the premise of I'm signing my masters away for one hundred thousand dollars, right, and you're informed this is what you're doing to me, that's not a bad deal. It's a bad deal if they say, all right, one hundred thousand dollars, you're still going to own your masters. But in the contract somewhere you kind of like got swindled and then It's like then I didn't know what I was doing, but you you willingly gave it away, you thought about it. It's a good deal because in that moment, one hundred thousand dollars could change your life. Yeah right, It's like if it was a bad deal, you wouldn't sign this. So when people say, like, hey, you did it out of desperation, that's a good deal because at that point in time, I made a rational decision that one hundred thousand dollars is more valuable than my masters.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, that is a fair sus shory. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 6: I agree, yeah, And that's why I think the education part is so important. But I think having a good attorney in this situation that is important as well, because a lot of times in those situations, somebody's been appointing to the YEP, absolutely, and they may not have their best interest. I think that's one of the things that you say to us every time we have a meaning. It's like, y'all know, I got your best interest in mind, And I feel like that's the truth, right, because we've had plenty of dealings, but a lot of times that is not the case. So on top of it, not I mean, yes, it's desperation, but who's advising you to say like yes or no, no.
Speaker 5: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: But a lot of these people, back to what both of y'all are saying, it's what breaks my heart because I'm still like one of those people. I know, I've been in this business long enough to know what's out there and tough enough to deal with it, but i still have the heart to be like oh every time I hear one of those stories, because it's it's the same mold which I'm getting with you all saying by now, people I should get it, they should get it, But it doesn't make it any less painful because until we break some of these cycles where we have enough income to not be in these what some call oppressive deals, right then it's unfortunately going to keep happening. But the way around it, it's not happening as much, you all, because there are a lot more independent artists. But this was happening. It was rampant, you know, ten years ago, but now in the age of I'm doing more independent deals on the music side than anything you all. Just to give context, I haven't done a major deal with the particular.
Speaker 5: Clients I'm working with in almost two years.
Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy Noman, the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed.
Speaker 5: To return legally.
Speaker 1: Do what's right, leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security,