Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Now, welcome back to the Thank You Show.
Speaker 3: My guest tonight represents the fourteenth District of Illinois in the House of Representatives and is the co founder of the Black Maternal Health Caucus. Please welcome Congresswoman Lauren Underwood. Well, well, wow, you got a lot of fans here.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you for being here. I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Chicago. Well, thank you.
Speaker 4: It's great to be here. They love you, thank you, thank you as they should. As they should.
Speaker 3: I am so inspired by all of the work that you do, so having you here is a real treat, and especially being here in Chicago. I couldn't imagine a better guest.
Speaker 4: Thank you. You have quite a few firsts.
Speaker 3: You are the first woman, the first person of color, and the first millennial to represent your district. Yes, ma'am, you're also the youngest Black woman to ever serve in Congress.
Speaker 4: Ever.
Speaker 3: Now there's another woman that is on the cusp of some firsts. Do you have Kamala Harris? Sorry, does she have you on speed dial for advice?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, it's been so interesting welcoming Vice President Hair and so many folks from around the country here to Illinois. It's made me reflect on conventions of the past. You know, this is my fourth Democratic convention, and so in years past, some girlfriends and I would travel. We called ourselves social delegates here today that we were here for the vibe, for the parties. We had a great time, you know, obviously as proud Democrats, but also really doing some professional development.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, at the convention.
Speaker 3: You spoke last night.
Speaker 6: How was that? How did it feel?
Speaker 2: It was beautiful.
Speaker 4: The speech was really exciting.
Speaker 5: We were able to talk about so many healthcare achievements. You know, the way that I've been able to work with Vice President Harris and President Joe Biden to lower out of pocket healthcare costs for the American people.
Speaker 4: Are successful.
Speaker 5: Legislation that allows Americans to access health plans for ten dollars or less per month.
Speaker 4: It is now long.
Speaker 5: And obviously my work with Vice President Harris to advance and address the issue of maternal health in this country.
Speaker 3: You actually have a combined eighteen pieces of legislation that were signed into laws since you entered in twenty eighteenth, and many of them eighteen is a.
Speaker 4: Lot, a lot, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: That's incredible, and so many of them were health focused. That's healthcare, maternal health specifically. What inspired you to want to focus so much of your work on that.
Speaker 5: So I'm a registered nurse, spent my career working to expand Coward thank You in community across our country, and I've really seen firsthand the impact of the high costs of healthcare. So many people can't afford to see a provider if they get an unexpected diagnosis, they can't afford a procedure, much less get the medication that they need. And so I really took advantage once I got into office, of course, the opportunity to lead and make sure that we were taking action to realize the promise of affordable health care through the ACA, and so obviously have really been successful to advance legislation and we've had the lowest number of uninsured Americans in US history.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's incredible.
Speaker 5: In Congress, we say we put people over politics, and what that means is we're focused on lowering costs for the American people, but also making sure that in healthcare we're taking the opportunity to address long standing disparities, especially disparities and maternal health. What I'm talking about is in our country, Black women have been three to four times more likely to die of pregnancy related complications in their white counterparts. It's devastating. I had a good girlfriend die in twenty seventeen after delivering birth to a beautiful baby girl. My friend's name was Selan Irving, and so I knew that when I decided to run for office and if I won, this would be an issue that I want to work on. And so in Congress, I've been so honored to partner with great leaders like then Senator Kamala Harris to introduce groundbreaking legislation, historic legislation called the mom of Us designed to address every clinical and non clinical factor contributing to preventable maternal death in this country. And we've been successful. We've had one of our bills signed into law.
Speaker 3: Maternal health feels like an issue that should absolutely be bipartisan. Shouldn't there be over an overwhelming amount of support for these things.
Speaker 5: Well, the issue itself absolutely is bipartisan. We are seeing so many families recognize themselves in the story, and so this is an issue that touches every zip code, every state in this country. We have tremendous disparities, meeting poor outcomes and rural communities, you know, folks who are unable to get the quality of care or the choice of provider. We believe that if you want to see a midwife, or want to get a doula, or need some help breastfeeding, no matter where you live in this country, you should be able to access those resources.
Speaker 4: And right now you can't.
Speaker 5: So you've been able to work together as Democrats and Republicans to be able to advance this legislation. And we're looking for the first legislative opportunity to get the whole package, the whole mom to Us signed into law.
Speaker 4: Yes, so you're living to God here.
Speaker 3: And it's an issue that doesn't just impact women. People talk about these issues like their women's issues. These are family issues that they impact everyone.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: And it's an economic issue.
Speaker 5: You know, when we think about this upcoming election, I really think about issues like maternal like health care is being on the ballot, and so as we all go out and vote, if we want to lower out of pocket health care costs, we have to vote like it. If we want to make sure that we can all access high quality, comprehensive health care including reproductive health care. We'd have to go vote because by saying at home, by saying at home, we're allowing the extremists to win, and we know the path that they want to take us down.
Speaker 3: Speaking of extremists, Yes, Jdvans, Yes and others have been responsible for quite a bit of anti woman rhetoric.
Speaker 4: Yes, what do you make of all of this?
Speaker 5: You know, it's so clear to me that JD. Vance has a deeply rooted pathology when.
Speaker 4: It comes to his hatred of women. I really hope he's going to therapy. I really do.
Speaker 5: It's so clear that he needs therapy. It's clear to me that you know, we might laugh, but he does not belong in the White House.
Speaker 6: You know, I grew up.
Speaker 5: I grew up here in the great state of Illinois in the nineties, and you know, we had the fortune of having the Oprah Winfrey Show on TV twice a day here in the Chicagoland area, Yucky and one of the great guests that she would always have on was Maya Angelou, who taught us that when someone tells you about themselves, you believe them the first time.
Speaker 4: Now Jadie Van has told.
Speaker 5: Us about his dangerous extreme policy agenda for American women, and it's up to us to believe him right now and to reject it and make sure that we go out and vote.
Speaker 3: I heard that your parents are here tonight. Oh yeah, oh boy, you must be very proud of your daughter.
Speaker 6: Very proud.
Speaker 4: Good job, mom and dad.
Speaker 6: You did a very good job.
Speaker 3: I heard that your mom said that you have always been quote unquote unquote a good girl.
Speaker 4: Yes, I do. I'm as a follower, I can't help it.
Speaker 5: You know, my heart gets starts to raise if I sort of color outside the line sometimes.
Speaker 4: Yes, I understand.
Speaker 3: As a fellow rule follower, good girl herself, I sometimes like to rebel a little bit by doing wild things, like doing crossword puzzles in ink.
Speaker 4: Yeah wow, like that woman on the Edge.
Speaker 3: Would you ever do something like that?
Speaker 4: What's your How do you act out.
Speaker 3: When you want to?
Speaker 6: Kind of? Well?
Speaker 5: I love reality TV, especially the show Survivor. Oh there's a lot of parallels between that particular show and my workplace, and so I get a lot of inspiration from the great heroes and villains of reality TV.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to say Love Island or vanderd Pump rules.
Speaker 4: You go survivor.
Speaker 3: You go like it still involves democracy always, every person.
Speaker 4: Has a vote. Thank you brand. What I love about it? Thank you?
Speaker 3: The joy and the excitement is palpable right now with Kamala at the top of the ticket. Now you worked very closely with her, what was your experience.
Speaker 5: Like you know, Kamala Harris is an incredible leader. I can't wait for the American people to get to know her as I have. She is warm and smart and funny and kind. Kamala Harris cares a lot about the maternal health issues that we spoke about earlier. That's how I came to know her. But as vice president, she's really taken action to invite folks over to her home. And she loves to throw party. And at the end of her you know, engagements and affairs, she gives you a parting gift.
Speaker 4: Now that's a sign of a good party.
Speaker 5: Oh. Her carting gifts are these beautiful candles. She has these custom candles. Now, you're a millennial woman, I'm a millennial woman. And we know that we love a candle.
Speaker 6: Can we just.
Speaker 4: Say I love a candle.
Speaker 2: I love a candle.
Speaker 4: Who doesn't love a candle?
Speaker 5: And so I was inspired by her gorgeous scent in her candle to launch my own candle line. And of course it's called domestic Tranquility.
Speaker 3: I mean because as though you're not busy enough, now you have a candle line.
Speaker 5: Yes, ma'am, Yes, ma'am it's called what domestic tranquility?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, How do I invest in this business?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Well, you can visit Underwood for Congress dot com.
Speaker 4: I'm in.
Speaker 1: I am totally in.
Speaker 2: You all the fine.
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh my gosh, it is such a delight to have you on. Thank you so much for all of the work that you do. It's it's truly remarkable.
Speaker 4: Thank you, congress woman.
Speaker 7: More Welcome back to the Daily Show. I guess tonight is the Democratic.
Speaker 8: Governor of Maryland. Please welcome Governor Wes Moore.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's a Midwest love.
Speaker 1: That's some mid This must be a democratic audience here.
Speaker 6: I don't know. Check on that. I'm not sure. Wes. Let me get this straight.
Speaker 8: You are a Rhodes scholar, a college football athlete, an Army combat veteran, a nonprofit CEO, and a governor of Maryland. Fair to say, the most impressive resume on LinkedIn.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, I've seen yours yet.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this is a people like a improv teacher for ten years. Then they're going to be very impressed. You're speaking tonight at the convention.
Speaker 1: I am speaking tonight.
Speaker 6: Yes, I.
Speaker 8: Spent a little time over there talking to people yesterday. And there is an energy. People keep talking about this vibe. I'm curious what you've seen and do you think this energy now is actually going to translate into electoral success.
Speaker 9: It will, and the vibe and the energy is real because I think both people see that there is a clear path to victory and they understand what's at stake. I think that we have this kind of unique thing that's happening right now where we both have the moment and you have the candidate, where you have both the moment of people understanding that it's we're talking about the ideas of economic freedoms. We're talking about the fact that we should be a country that should be respected. We're talking about we should be a country that actually has a chance.
Speaker 6: Where.
Speaker 9: The idea of an American dream shouldn't be a punchline for communities.
Speaker 1: Right, and.
Speaker 9: We have a candidate whose life embodies fighting for freedoms, whose life embodies protecting us from predators, whose life embodies standing up and raising her hand when the country asked her to. And so I think this combination that we have right now, or Vice President Harris and Governor Wallace is great because it's like, this is what victory feels like, and this will.
Speaker 1: Mean being probably a healthy.
Speaker 6: Sounds like you're measuring some drapes here, is that right?
Speaker 1: Well, no, because we have work to do, you know, and listen.
Speaker 9: And I remember, you know, when I joined the army when I was seventeen years old. In fact, I and like real talk, real talk. When I first joined, I was so young my mother had to sign the paperwork for me. Really yeah, But after my teenage year, she signed whatever paperwork they ally put in front of her. It was actually pretty easy. But we learned something. There is this idea that nothing is given, everything is earned. Nothing is given, everything is earned, right, And.
Speaker 6: I think the.
Speaker 9: Way we are looking at this race right now is we've got to go earn it. We've got to go earn it with every voter. We've got to go earn it with every community. We've got to go earn it with every constituency, and we have now seventy six days to go out.
Speaker 1: There and earn it. And that's exactly what you plan on doing now, I think.
Speaker 6: I will say, though.
Speaker 8: There's an excitement, but a criticism is there's not a lot of policy right now.
Speaker 6: And there's a big question.
Speaker 8: How would the Kamala Harris administration look different than what the Biden administration would look like? Do you see this as a continuation of the Biden policies or a marked difference with the Kamala Harris administration.
Speaker 9: Well, one thing, I want to be fair, the policies and the impacts that we've seen from presidant President Biden and the Biden Harris administration have been pretty remarkable.
Speaker 1: And so we.
Speaker 9: Cannot this idea, this idea that the vice president, in order to win or order to have a successful presidency, should do some hard pivot from the work that her and President Biden did together. I would just say, the only problem with that argument is facts on on your side. Right that Let's forget when the presidents of go over we just finished, we almost had an attempted coup in this country.
Speaker 8: I know I was there, Yes you are, Yes, you were.
Speaker 6: Working, working to be clair.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we established that difference.
Speaker 8: To be clear, this goes on tape and the election doesn't go the way you want, I want it to be very clear.
Speaker 9: But I think the idea of her putting out policies, I think she's already begun to do that. She's already talked about things like she is going to have an expansion of the child tax credit to six thousand dollars, which, by the way, which would be one of the most which will she enact that.
Speaker 1: When she enacts.
Speaker 9: That, that is going to be one of the most effective ways to fight child poverty that we have seen in this nation's history.
Speaker 1: So she's already starting to put things down that are really important. Get up very excited.
Speaker 6: Do you imagine?
Speaker 8: So in Maryland, you've been pushing some pretty progressive angles when it comes to climate change, gun control, healthcare. Do you see the Harris administration following suit and helping in that way.
Speaker 9: Well, I think that everything we've gotten done in Maryland has been because we've had a great partner in the Biden Hairs administration. I mean, look at what's happened in our state. When I was inaugurated, Marylyn was ranked forty third in the country in unemployment. Right now, for twelve straight months, Maryland has amongst the lowest unemployment rates in the entire country. Are are our unemployment rate right now is two point eight percent. That we said, we have now have a legalized cannabis market inside the state of Maryland. But I said, I said, there's no way that we are going to celebrate the benefits of legalization if we do not address the consequences of criminalization.
Speaker 1: And so and so so about you.
Speaker 9: A couple of months ago, I signed the largest mass pardon for cannabis convictions in the history.
Speaker 1: Of the United States.
Speaker 6: But the reason, the reason I.
Speaker 9: Bring those things up is this. It was all done because I had the right partner in Washington. I had a White House that actually saw us, that worked with us, and so all the more menum that we are seeing when it comes to economic growth, the momentum Maryland now has the fastest drop in homicides and violent crimes in the entire country right now. This is all happening because we have the right kind of partner that we need in Washington.
Speaker 8: And to be clear, is now an appropriate time to celebrate the legalization of marijuana.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm just.
Speaker 8: My parents are in the audience. I just want to sign off from a governor in case I choose to partake.
Speaker 6: I'm curious.
Speaker 8: As an army veteran, Tim Waltz is catching some flack from people on the right about as they would characterize it, a mischaracterizing of his credentials as a vet. Is there any amount of service that Republicans won't criticize, Like, how do you see that?
Speaker 9: I mean, listen, is disappointing, it's disingenuous, and frankly, it's pretty dangerous. And particularly, I'm be very honest, the fact that this is coming from JD. Vance is actually comical. And I'm gonna tell you why.
Speaker 6: JD.
Speaker 9: Vans and I deeply respect the service of Corporal JD.
Speaker 1: Vance, the work that he did in the military.
Speaker 9: He should also deeply respect the service of Sergeant Major Tim Wallas Well.
Speaker 8: And I'm not as I'm not as well versed in the pecking order, but it seems like sergeant Majors a pretty good yeah.
Speaker 9: You know, like you know, listen, when you join the military, if you stay in for a certain amount of time, you hit corporal right less than one percent of all non commissioned officers will hit the rank of sergeant major. Okay, so this is just fat most people. If you stay in long enough, you hit corporal.
Speaker 8: Oh oh, I say stop, that's.
Speaker 6: Right, that's right.
Speaker 1: But you know, but I do.
Speaker 9: And it goes back to this whole idea of patriotism, which I do. Listen, I I I serve my country and I let soldiers in combat in Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: I'm deeply proud of my service. I am, I am.
Speaker 9: I am in love with my country. I love this country, and I just find it really interesting that you know that we're watching on the other side where there's like the idea of patriotism means like having sexual relations with the flag on the side, which which, by the way.
Speaker 1: Just just a total tie comment.
Speaker 9: I don't know what is up with that ticket and their obsession with fabrics.
Speaker 6: They they really they must love the feel on the skin.
Speaker 1: I love the feel the skin. Nothing like it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the soldiers do they respect somebody helping the flags like an action of disrespect. I saw you a post about your speech tonight that was gonna be tough. I'm curious what you have in store. I'm also curious in watching this who the audience is for the day, and.
Speaker 1: Say, you know, I think a lot of the audience is going to be for me.
Speaker 9: It's the people who are the disaffected. It's the people who you know, when we say people who are undecided, it's not even just the people who are undecided between Vice President Kamala Harris and Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: It's the people who are undecided. They're going to go out to the polls, you know.
Speaker 9: And I tell you this is it's actually very personal to me because you know, when I ran for governor, I had some family members who I had to convince to vote for me.
Speaker 1: Really oh yeah, real talk. And it was it wasn't that I'm not cool my family.
Speaker 6: That might be. That might be a little bit. If you're a gold in your family, it might be easier.
Speaker 9: But but I had to convince them to vote. Like, I don't come I don't come from a political family. I don't come from a political background.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's not something. It's it's not like.
Speaker 9: Like I have members of my family who are like, oh man, election day was last week. Yeah, but that that's real, you know what I mean? And I think that's real for a lot of folks. I think that the demo that we've got to speak to are the ones, frankly, who still hold a measure of skepticism in their heart, who look at the history of this country and say, you know what, this country hasn't always been fair, and we have to be honest and look at them and say, you're right that they can say, you know what, the history of this country has been uneven, and you have to look at them and say spot on.
Speaker 1: However, however, we.
Speaker 9: Do have to be clear that you can hold that skepticism in your heart, and you should, but that does not mean disengage because the people, some of the greatest patriots that we have had in our history are people who actually understood the measure of brokenness that we had in our politics and who still showed up every day.
Speaker 1: And fought for a better country. That's what we need.
Speaker 8: Some have said you might have aspirations for that big office someday after watching politics over the last twelve years.
Speaker 6: I guess my question would be.
Speaker 9: Why I get to tell you I am I cannot be more excited to have Kamala Harris to be the next president United States.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you why.
Speaker 9: I remember when months ago, when the key Bridge collapsed in Baltimore, and.
Speaker 1: I remember at two or two in the morning when my.
Speaker 9: Phone rang and I was told that we now had thousands of workers who now lost their jobs, We now had thirteen percent of my economy that was shut down, and that we had six workers who were fixing potholes in one hundred and eighty feet in the air that night who were now missing. And I remember one of the first calls I got more was from Vice President Kamala Harris. I cannot tell you enough how much it means to have a vice president, and the President called me that morning as well. First phone call I got from the White House was at three point thirty that morning. As a chief executive, as someone who believes in my state and believes in our people, I cannot tell you enough how much it means to have a White House that is willing to be your partner in the work, and that's willing to support you in network, and who understands that everybody should be seen and supported, whether they voted for you or note or less.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 6: Plus Paramount Podcasts.