Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey theo folks, it is Saturday, June seventh. Thank you so much for continuing to run with us. We'll taken a weekend morning run right now. Rose. During the week, there are a lot of stories on our morning run that get us going, get us worked up, even get us arguing, and we don't get to get into it. So this is where we've been doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we are bringing the stories to you this weekend from the week that kept us talking or got us going. And we'll begin with the news. California, the state of California, was trying to find a compromise. President Trump signed an executive order saying, hey, We're going to cut all federal funding from any sort of athletic organization that allows transgender athletes to compete in girls' sporting events. California had a major high school championship track and field, and they had a transgender athlete competing and guess what, the transgender athlete one and one big first place in two events, second place in the third event. And so in order to compromise and to not have federal funds restricted, they decided to add a girl to the podium, so someone who would have won that the transgender athlete took their place of got to meddle too. It's a very confusing compromise that actually pissed off a lot of folks.
Speaker 2: You made it crystal clear, though in your explanation it is confusing. As I'll get out. I'll give it to your bottom line as a trans girl who won, who is a state champion in two categories out there in California. Yeah, Trump warned against this, he would take money. We'll see what happens. The problem rose, we got back and forth. That was so unsettling. So unsettling about the story is it feels like nobody won with this rule change. It felt almost humiliating to all sides to do it this way. So you're essentially just saying, yes, the trans girl got first, so the person she beat who got second gets to move up to first. Person, the guy third gets to move up to second. Person who got fourth gets to move up the third. But who's the actual champion? Who does that help that? Who? The trans girl is standing there with another girl at the top of the podium who won, I beat you, but you get to come up here with me, and.
Speaker 1: The records reflect that it wasn't the trans girl, it was the other girl. And so yeah, no one gets to feel good about the metal they got because it kind of feels like, did I earn this? Did I not earn this? Who is the best? And what's the right way to go? And I think for most people, we don't ever want to discriminate against or discourage people from participating in athletic competitions. It's part of what makes being a kid and growing up exciting and fun. Just feels awful and icky, because yes, if you're one of the girls, or you're a parent one of the girls, you might be frustrated at the unfairness of the competition because of the what most people would point to the biological advantages that the trans girl has over a girl who was born a girl. And so that is a very controversial and difficult conversation to have. And is there a good answer? Is there a right way forward? How else can trans athletes compete? There's so few of them, as we know in our population, they couldn't actually have their own competition because that would be great, except for who would they be competing against.
Speaker 2: It's tough we haven't figured it out yet. We have to figure it out, but this just felt like a mess of a way to try to deal with it. And sure enough she qualified and went out there and won two state championships. She came in third place in one event.
Speaker 1: The law thought it was the second place. She came in second place, game and second.
Speaker 2: So one cisgender girl beat her out, but beat her out by just a little bit. They were approaching state records that Marion Jones broke when she was in high school. So what I'm saying is this transathlete, yes, got second, but still did so well that almost competing with one of the greatest track athletes we've ever known in this country.
Speaker 1: So I started thinking when you told me that tidbit that what if a trans girl beats an Olympic athlete or someone who is a storied female competitor like Marion Jones? Will Will that be okay to have a trans girl beat someone like Marion Jones record? Is that fair to compare? Is that fair for then that trans girl to have that record over a biological female or a female who was born I don't even know how to say it not to offend anyone, but this is a tough cist gender.
Speaker 2: I think this is what we're supposed to go with. Now, what is it cis to person? That's what you're born sis gender girls, this gender girl and born.
Speaker 1: But I think that is another huge issue. And then you start taking Okay, we're doing it state by state, but in international competitions, the Olympics, et cetera. You say, there's actually a system in place where you have to take some sort of a blood test and if you have enough estrogen or enough hormones of a female, you can be considered a female.
Speaker 2: You have to show how long you've gone through this process. You have to show some say you have to have gone through for a year or two years. But the rules aren't uniform all over the world, so we just haven't figured out.
Speaker 1: But the reality is this, would you not say that most people would agree and it would be hard to argue against that a trans girl who was not born a female has a physical advantage in almost every case. I mean, certainly there are exceptions to the rule, but generally speaking, there's a reason why men don't compete against women because women do not have a physical advantage. Period.
Speaker 2: It is happening incount for you where that governor has come out recently and said that he believes it's unfair. He's breaking with some in his own party and some progressives in his own party by saying that. But he said it is unfair for trans girls to be competing in girls' sports.
Speaker 1: And I think it's okay to say this because I know you know. Look, I'm a parent of girls, you're a parent of girls. We have friends who we love and know who have trans children. So this isn't something that is foreign or unusual to us in any way, and in fact, even in an intimate way. But I think that you can be supportive of trans rights and supportive of some of the and and at and angered about some of the rights that are being taken away from them, and still believe that there is a physical advantage and it is unfair to other girls to have them competing against people who were born with a physical advantage. I think that you can have both thoughts and still be supportive of trans rights. It's just a sticky, tough situation because no one wants to alienate anyone or make anyone feel left out. Everyone wants to belong, and yet you still have to have a system in place for fairness.
Speaker 2: Right. Another story that got us going this week and really got us going. The military has renamed a ship. Shouldn't be a big deal, I suppose, But it was what name they took off the ship and when they did it that was a big deal. It was the us NS the US naval ship Harvey Milk, named after the civil rights gay rights leader. They took the name off the ship. Robes, that's one thing they said. It was part of kind of a let's whole dei anti dei afying of the military since Trump got back into office. This is a part of that. But Robe, it was the timing of when they did it, and then it was coming back and saying we did that on purpose. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Defense official absolutely said this timing was intentional. When Defense Secretary Pete Hegzeff announced that they were removing Harvey Milk's name from that ship right at the beginning of Pride month. June is Pride month, and it was just an extra gut punch, I think to folks who have been fighting so hard for inclusiveness. It was mean. It was mean spirited. It was almost like ha ha ha ha ha, and this you know, Harvey milk. If you're not familiar, he is one of the most yes and if you ever Sean Penn portrayed him in the movie. This is a man who was of service, was in the Navy. His parents served in the Navy, but he was threatened with the court martial because of his sexual orientation. He had to leave the military because he was gay. And once he finally got elected, one of the first openly gay men to be elected to office, he was serving on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, he was assassinated a year later. So this is somebody who gave his life for who he was, and not willingly, but is someone who has been honored and revered and studied and we don't ever want to go back to those times and repeat that. And yet this just to take his name and to remove it from nable Ship is just unnecessary and cruel. And with everything that's going on in the world, do we really just want to continue to divide one another here and say us versus them?
Speaker 2: And I hate that cast. Let's say they wanted to do it and they did it in August, people would take issue with it. They shouldn't have done it, fine, but to do it, and you're telling an entire community that, in this month that is so important to you, we're actually going to insult you. We're actually going to punch you, We actually are trying to inflict harm on a move we already know you're not gonna like we are now intend that is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: You likened it too, and asked because they have also said, hey, there are some other ship names that are want up to be removed as well, including Thurgood Marshal, the first black Supreme Court Justice, Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
Speaker 2: Can you stay with third Good Marshal Force second February one, tell us you're going to rename stuff like that.
Speaker 1: The beginning of Black History Month. Go ahead and say we're going to start removing names of black civil rights leaders and pioneers.
Speaker 2: So try this on February one. There's a USNS John Lewis, Okay, February one, make that announcement. Why why would you do that unless you're trying to give a big f you to the black community. I would take it as such. I wouldn't like it if you took it off in September or December. But if you do know February one, what are you trying to say to a group collectly? This blows my mind. There are a lot of things, but this to be that that obviously and embracing how mean we are trying?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and Ruth Bader Ginsburg same thing. Let's do it at the beginning of Women's History Month. I mean, it's just you could get think about that and think about how that would make you feel with whatever community you identify with. It is an extra like it's like they're spitting in your face and it's just unkind and unfair and unnecessary.
Speaker 2: That one really got us talking. You know that, it got us worked up. If you can't tell Love Island and the inward, you might know the story by now. But yeah, Rose, the show too much much anticipation, finally launched this week and on episode two, one of the hotties in the villa was already gone and there wasn't much fanfair and we didn't know why if you were just watching the show.
Speaker 1: When you said not much fanfair, that was almost an understatement because there's a cheeky narrator with a British accent, who, look, we watched Love Island. I think if anyone listens to this podcast. You know, we're kind of obsessed with reality.
Speaker 2: For the record, she forces me to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really hard. Yeah, I should be charged with coercion. Yes, no, you are, you are okay, you're right. Sorry, I shouldn't go there. You are a willing participant. In fact, I believe it was last night that we were catching up on Love Island. But in the second episode, at the beginning, the cheeky narrator says this and only this, Ulyssa has left the villa, and then moves on there is no other commentary, and we've been watching. We actually went back watched the first episode heading into the second one now and look, this is a very diverse group. I'm curious what they even think because this all blindsided them. Were there was chatter before she got on, because people found these podcasts that this particular contestant was on. How long ago were these podcasts, you know, I don't have the years, I don't know, but fairly recently. She goes on podcasts and very casually and very comfortably starts dropping the N word when she is being recorded with the microphone for a podcast that she knows is going to be broadcast or at least disseminated and seem to have zero concern that Ulyssa herself could say this and knowing she is not black, She's Hispanic, but she is not black.
Speaker 2: But she is very comfortable using the in words incredibly comfortable. Something.
Speaker 1: Is that shocking to you.
Speaker 2: I have known folks before who have been around a lot of black people and maybe hear black folks talk to each other in this way and sometimes get comfortable enough in that environment where they get permission to use it from.
Speaker 1: Me, ken, can a black person say it sounds like she was dating a black man for a long time. She had like an eight year relationship I believe she talked about and when you hear what she said, it was seemingly referring back to him. Can a black man give permission to a white girl, a Hispanic girl, anyway, anyone who's non black, to use the word no.
Speaker 2: The answer is no. Now, permission in a clothes setting is just the two of us, the three of us a certain group is one thing. You shouldn't do that either, because if word gets out that you're permitting this, you might be in trouble with your community. But what I'm saying is there's nobody who can give any person outside of the black community permission to use the word publicly. Nobody gets that permission. You can't. You're gonna have to ask every black person in America if it's okay, and we're not gonna give that permission. So this is it was so casual in how she said it. She didn't miss a beat or think she said anything wrong, and knew this was public.
Speaker 1: She just it's remarkable to me that someone that young would feel so free to do it, because aren't those young folks also woke and they know what to say and what not to say. And you can't say this, and you can't say that. Things that we could say as kids, you can't say anymore referring to other certain time types of the population, whether whether you're whether you're gay, or whether you have you know, cognitive issues. There were things that we said as kids that you absolutely cannot say. And we know that.
Speaker 2: But you've commented now. I believe that also these kids these days, they got so many options, they got so much social media, they got so much, so many podcasts and so much How do you stand out? How do you speak or I'm going to be myself I am going to do. Look, there's another way I saw her as someone like, nobody's going to tell me what to do. I make my own rules. She's comfortable in this setting, and she just started. She reverted to who she probably truly is.
Speaker 1: How do you feel, as a black man to hear this girl say that?
Speaker 2: I don't know the way she said it.
Speaker 1: No, I don't care.
Speaker 2: I don't think she should. I don't get worked up about people saying the N word. As soon as it comes out of your mouth, we are done, because it means you're just moronic. I mean, I can't have a conversation with you. I don't get upset or worked up. I've been yelled and called the N word plenty times in my life, barely flinched. Just it doesn't work me up like that. And there's a lot of black folks it doesn't like you. Just really, that's all you got after two hundred and fifty years, this is the best you could come up with.
Speaker 1: Still, But is it surprising to you that that people who aren't black still need to be reminded that that is a forbidden word.
Speaker 2: Nobody needs to be reminded if they're using it. They're using it intentionally, and you know it shouldn't be used. This is silly, This is this is a non issue, and if there's anybody out there arguing what black people say it, I should be able to say it. Then you ask yourself, why do you want to say the N words so much? Why do you want permission? Why is it so important to you? Now?
Speaker 1: Almost like they're trying to be black, like to be a part of the community. They think they are a part of the community, and that's highly offensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you can always go back to the safety of your other community. I can't leave this black skin at home. But yeah, you don't want to do the quote. I guess I'll have to read the quote. Yes, please, we will tell you what exactly what she said to wrap it up here, just so you know what we're talking about. The second reference, I'll do the second one. Here she's talking about relationships, talking about some dudes U was dating, and she quotes, are you efing my inward? Perfect? That's it, But now I'm efing my in word. He's my in word? Is what she said. Didn't miss a beat, so she just reeled it off and it's not like a slip and oh, I can't believe I.
Speaker 1: Said that, also talking about her boyfriend like he was a piece of property to be owned. So I feel like that was an extra dig and reference to things we should not be.
Speaker 2: Talking, you know what. The other thing, there's no reference to it on the show, and there might never be one for this reason. They all have been in that villa for a little while doing some pre production stuff, so they've been off the grid. All their phones have been taken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't have access to.
Speaker 2: The producers aren't telling them and they have no idea.
Speaker 1: Because they're in Fiji right now shooting it. Because if this is a week two weeks show, so basically, if you're a fan of the show, you can call in and you can vote on who your favorite couple is. You can actually contribute to who gets voted off or not. So this is in real time.
Speaker 2: It's possible they have no idea what's going on. It's possible she had no idea until she came out, because there were reports of like friends of hers have been online frantically responding on social media trying to defend her.
Speaker 1: It's not working and it's not going away.
Speaker 2: I wait to hear from her, but let's end with one other future this week. Okay, people you know by now Trump and Elon broke up. There's a bunch of billionaire bickering. But they went back and forth on social media, with Trump saying he was wearing thin. I'm very disappointed he was not in favor of my bill. And now Elon has gone pretty much nuclear, accused Trump of being in the Epstein files and said that's why we haven't seen them, and a whole bunch of other jaw dropping stuff. But it got us to thinking. Roll this stuff got nasty and personal and quick.
Speaker 1: Man, it heated up fast.
Speaker 2: It was a matter of hours this was over.
Speaker 1: They were back and forth, just eviscerating each other on social media for all to see. It's one thing if you're texting someone back and forth, but man, this was a public display of it was so this is the biggest feud, the biggest battle I have ever seen between two people that I can recall.
Speaker 2: We got to be missing in history.
Speaker 1: Well it got us thinking. You actually asked, like, what other feuds can you think of? What other public breakups, divorces, just battles have escalated. And I looked it up these celebrity battle and it's actually quite funny. But truthfully, I don't think any of these rise to the level of what we saw yesterday. The number one that you see pop up is Kanye weston Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't really because she never got into a nasty back and forth with him.
Speaker 1: They had some lyrics back and forth referencing one another, or was it mostly Kanye references? It was Taylor. She was actually already like, yeah, I'm good. I'm pretty much good with my swifties and my like mega hits and my platinum albums and I'm fine.
Speaker 2: But the moment on stage is pretty awful when he jumped up there and took her, so I guess maybe they were.
Speaker 1: Speaking of jumping up on stage. Another one referenced Will Smith and Chris Rock, but Chris Rock was was was the hero in that, but.
Speaker 2: He came a public view when he did his stand up and he took some shots back. But okay, I wouldn't have put that one up there, But okay.
Speaker 1: That's up there. They have. There's some fun got violent that one that one. Actually guess that one turned physical, so there is that they go back. They have Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. That was so long ago. I don't really remember that.
Speaker 2: I thought that was kind of a musical.
Speaker 1: It was, it was, and like there's a lot of the musical things. So they have Biggie Smalls and Tupac. We also know recently we had Drake and Kendrick Lamar. Obviously that one turned Grammy's Super Bowl. Yes, yes, all sorts of all ships rose on that one. Like Drake's killing it right now. Obviously Kendrick Lamar is killing it right now.
Speaker 2: But a rat that's what a rap beef is supposed to be, not a public feud between the president and the richest man on earth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's they talk about Gwyneth Paltrow and Martha Stewart. I didn't even oh, Lady Gaga and Madonna, but that again, it was about like who's imitating whom? Like Madonna thought that Lady Gaga was stealing her stuff and so that she was basically riding on her coat tails and she was getting none of the credit.
Speaker 2: Did you Gaga go back at her?
Speaker 1: It's let's see.
Speaker 2: I can say, I just don't remember that one at all.
Speaker 1: They see Born this Way was the one that Madonna was upset about. She's so it was mostly Madonna being upset with gagat who else? Donald Trump and Rosie O'Donnell.
Speaker 2: That was that was that one was ugly. That was ugly.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, they don't even have on here because we were trying to think of really ugly divorces like Brad Pitt and Angelina or Brad Pitt and Jennifer. Both of those were bad. Jennifer Aniston public neither one went well trying to there's they go back to, like Joan Crawford and Betty Davis. But this is a lot about This is a lot about artists competing with one another. Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan. There's just all these little feuds.
Speaker 2: What you're saying is we're seeing something like we've never seen.
Speaker 1: Before one percent, because like Mariah Carey versus eminem what was that? I don't even know what that. But these are all the ones that are listed and you can go through them, and it's true they pale in comparison to what we saw yesterday. So it does bolster our belief that, yes, this is the most brazen, insane public feud that we have ever seen in our lifetime.
Speaker 2: Maybe the most expensive divorce as well, because it calls elon thirty four billion personal value because stock went down.
Speaker 1: And who's going to back off, Who's going to back down, Who's going to say uncle, who's going to wave the white flag?
Speaker 2: Nope? No, I have not. Have you seen either one of them do so in any circumstance, and now a public one against a guy with as much money, for the most part as you have and as much power as you have. To tell the president in a tweet, he wouldn't have won the election.
Speaker 1: Without me, He was ungrateful that where's the gratitude.
Speaker 2: Gratitude? Oh, Donald Trump should be grateful to me?
Speaker 1: WHOA, Oh my goodness. Yes, we will see how that all unfolds. But I have a feeling in that battle everyone's going to lose, not just Musk and his thirty four billion dollars. We're all going to pay the price for this. So let's hope that maybe maybe one of them could show some humility at some point.
Speaker 2: That is hilarious, and so we'll end on that comedic note.
Speaker 1: Amy Buck praying for peace and humility.
Speaker 2: Folks, We appreciate you running with us as always, and enjoy the rest of your Saturday.