Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm very scrupulous about any thing I do with the clients and added relationships and all that. Full disclosure. I've darkened the door. La Pavion held down the bar. Service was okay. Cafe Ballued. I'm a frequent attendee on sixty third Street. It is exquisite, intimate, little quiet bar. We do the whole thing there. Daniel Blude joins us. Right now, I want to go back here so that we remember in this boom stupid economy. I think of Maria lay on fifty eighth Street. I think, Daniel, of what you did during COVID, which was to survive. How far are you beyond the absolute train wreck that that pandemic was for the restaurant business.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Tomy, totally right. It was a trend rek, but it sounds so far away already since I think since COVID, we have really pivoate to create new business, to definitely move on with some business that we didn't feel that was good to keep, and we double up our business in SCOVID in five years.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're.
Speaker 2: Competing here with Jimmy Kimmel. Bon Appetite seven point three million viewers a YouTube video on how to cook a steak. To begin with, the steak is expensive. The steak you buy, how much is it a pound?
Speaker 3: We buy the most expensive meat because we are always looking for the finest suppliers and someone that we can trust, the source we can trust, the the way they raise and meat can vary so much. It can vary from a fifteen dollars pound to easily one hundred and fifty, which is why you charge me.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: M and Danielle. Talk to me a little bit about you know, the collaborations you know that you have had in the as with Tiffany for the Blue Box Cafe or Ebon and some of the things that you and Dinex your firm are getting involved with those collapse are amazing. What can your audience look forward to?
Speaker 3: Well, we, of course, I think after COVID, like I said, we doubled up our business and many of them were also collaboration but also partnership. For example, with Tiffany, we are partner in their Blue Box Cafe at Tiffany and they are opening a new one in California in Costa Mesa and we will be also managing that one. Opening this summer.
Speaker 1: But I mean, you know, we're right across from Blue Medale' right here a the flagship bloom Meydale's fifty eighth and Lex they have like all these little restaurants on different floors that are popped up in there is that like the hot new thing like inside Bergedoff Goodman and some of these, you know, whatever's left out there to partner with. Some of them bring that high quality.
Speaker 3: And I think it's an extension of service to their clients. I think it's inevitable. And we do that also with American Express at the Centurion Club as well, but also Avian, I mean all those partners BMW, Avian andran Than France. They're also very generous with charity and as you Port City mid On Wheel here in New York and such as Bloomberg as well. I've been very generous, and I think it's important to be able to cross help each other through that.
Speaker 2: Daniel Ballude with US folks, of course, so many different efforts at Danielle's and of course Lapavion and the Vanderbilt and of course Cafe Ballu tucked Away with Maison Bards Quiet and Intimate on sixty third Street. Alexis christopherus with a question for mister.
Speaker 5: I'm a huge fan of your restaurants, but I have a question about the home clock. I'm an avid home clock. What is the biggest mistake we make when we're trying to cook at home.
Speaker 3: Well, first is to have the wrong equipment. You got to have the right butts and pans. You got to buy the right ingredients. My wife extremely extremely careful on the ingredients she buy for our children, Katherine, she really want to buy organic. She wants to buy something that is really responsible. But also after that, you got to follow good chef with good recipe if you don't have your own in your mind or.
Speaker 5: Your and we follow them also good knives, right, you can't undergo.
Speaker 3: But I think what about.
Speaker 4: The Mediterranean diet? Because I love it. I mean it always comes up as being like one of the healthiest diets out there. Why is this? Is it based in olive oil? Yes, that's what it's all about.
Speaker 3: But life is not about one diet only. I think it's about being able to balance your diet with things that are maybe not healthy driven, but delicious once in a while, and things that are healthy driven. I think breakfast is something important that one should care for what they eat at breakfast?
Speaker 4: I think because that's a meal that I was telling my kids that cheffalude.
Speaker 1: You know the big, the big trend of farm to table, right, and I mean you say you buy the best ingredients. Everyone's going to say exactly like and and so my question is we go to these farm to table places and you don't really know you know where it's coming from. Sometimes you don't even taste the quality. But at your establishments, oh my goodness, know, and you taste everything. So talk to us a little bit about keeping that vibe, keeping that brand intact. You know, who do you partner with? How do you do that?
Speaker 3: Of course, especially in us springtime is here, we won't work with all our farmers local farmers, of course, we we have an incredible decade of relationship with them, and we can't wait for them to bring things to us. Yes, but otherwise we have suppliers that are very realible and they know the source of their ingredient. So it's important the.
Speaker 2: Videos out on corn syrup. I honestly, I've learned so much about my lousy diet. Why are Americans fat?
Speaker 3: Sugar? It's bad I mean, my wife cant Train is really studying nutrition and are really fighting about the addition of terrible sweetener in product. And I think it's it's not good for your health. But with moderation, it's okay to have a wonderful dessert. We do make delicious dessert.
Speaker 2: Oh you do, I did not know.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, you're chilling me.
Speaker 2: Now, what's your next project nationwide?
Speaker 3: Well, locally, we're opening Brass on the Upper West Side and that was where Bullistudent Baburu was and we after twenty years, we readid the entire space across from Lincoln Center.
Speaker 4: I see that under construction, very excited at the.
Speaker 3: End of July, and that will be a fantastic place where you can come from two to twenty people there. And you know, we created a new catering company called crisin Bury, New York, and that's encompassing. The interesting part is that I just don't have fine dining like Danielle or at the Door, but I also have casual restaurants like Grata, and so we can definitely offer at all level, even a pisserre bulue where you can have a sandwich and a salad from me for a very reasonable price.
Speaker 2: We're out of time. I'm sorry you're going to rehearsal for my new show today in Scarlett, we're catering. McDonald's is catering well. Next time. We'll do better next time, and again for all of us in New York. Your charity efforts during the pandemic just.
Speaker 3: Extraordinary well and continue to do absolutely.
Speaker 2: Ten ballot with us in many different locations across this nation and truly worldwide as well.
Speaker 6: In Montreal, Monday, six of the eight, I think we have a charity fund raising at Priani Downtown for City Mill on Wheels where.
Speaker 3: There'll be fifty chefs and thousand people. So there's a few ticket left.
Speaker 2: Very good. Remind me, did I eat it at Daniel Balloon in Montreal?
Speaker 3: Yes, of course.
Speaker 4: Small Toronto we have Riz Carleton.
Speaker 3: I think in Montreal we have about twelve restaurants
Speaker 2: Across the way you go away, Daniel Blood greatly appreciated here