Speaker 1: Alz media.
Speaker 2: With scenes of the genocide and Palestine plastering or screens over the past few years, and increasing analysis of the settler colonial and supremacist route of Israel's violence. It's having me thinking more about the concept of settler colonialism. Many people know now about Israel's settler colonial past and it's parallels with the US, Australia, South Africa, and Canada. Those are common comparisons, but few know much about the settler colonial origins of Liberia, which has gained a little attention as people have begun learning more about the concept. So I'd like to take a look at Liberia, Israel and the parallels of settler colonialism. This is it can happen here. I'm Andrew Sage Andrewism on YouTube, and I'm joined once again by James Again.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to learn about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm mainly looking into parallels through the lens of analysis provided by historian Patrick Wolfe in his famous article Settler Colonialism and the Elimination of the Nature, with other historical resources and articles linked in the show notes fust Off. Before we start making comparisons, I'll need to introduce the concept for those unfamiliar, settler colonialism is, in one sentence, an ongoing structural process where outsiders permanently occupy indigenous lands to build new societies. Wolf notes that invasion is a structure, not an event. He calls setler colonialism inherently eliminatory but not invariably genocidal, and calls elimination an organizing principle of setler colonial society rather than a one off occurrence. Unlike the kind of exploitation colonialism which seeks to extract resources and leave, settlers come to stay to claim land. As Wolf quotes that were bird rose to get in the way of settler colonization, all the native has to do is stay at home. Settlers tell various stories to justify their eliminatory ambitions race, religion, ethnicity, civilization status, but it really comes down to territory. Settlers want to establish lastin autonomous communities by eliminating the existing indigenous way of life and replacing it with the colonizer's culture, economy, and political order. Wolf says that settler clunism destroys to replace point into the quite visceral example of Israeli settlers of root in ancient olive trees and replacing them with foreign fruit trees, or as Israel often euphromizes it, making the desert bloom. Elimination doesn't have to mean the wholesale slaughter of indigenous people, though frontier homicide tends to be a trend, but elimination seeks to dissolve indigenous people and their way of life through various means expulsion, encouraged population mixing and forced assimilation, enclosure, child abduction, missions and board in schools, religious conversion, marginalization, labor exploitation, and more often several at once. Settler clunalism tends to remain deeply embedded in the laws and institutions of the countries foundly that way, but Woth points to a curious side effect of settler clunalism, which is the way that settler society subsequently attempts to recuperate indigenity in order to express its independence from the mother country. He references Australia's incorporation of indigenous symbolism for one example. Australia, Canada, the US, New Zealand, South Africa, French Algeria, Rhodesia, Liberia, and Israel are all examples of contemporary or historical settler colonial societies used on the parallels between just two of them, Liberia and Israel. In eighteen eighteen, the American Colonization Society scouted what was then known as the Grain Coast and deemed it a suitable location for their planned African colony, meant to be a home for formerly enslaved people in the US foreign emancipation, as well as free black people that already existed in the territory. The first successful settlement was established in eighteen twenty two after an agreement with the local chiefs signed in eighteen twenty one granted the society possession of Cape Mesurado. Now, some free black Americans had advocated returned to Africa projects long before the ACS was even founded, so we shouldn't erase the agency in this. But the ACS was led by a mix of white abolitionists and white and slavers who mostly just wanted to rid themselves the free black population in the US. Most free Black Americans opposed the project, either in a or in time. Those Black Americans that did participate came to be known as Americo Liberians. They carried on the American Colonization Society's narrative that the establishment of Liberia was a return to the promised Land and exodus of formally enslaved people returned into the ancestral homeland to establish an independent land of freedom, and as a minority in that land, the American Liberians would establish a government and various settlements they ruled that would attempt to expand Liberia's initial territory and to bring civilization and Christianity to the natives. Those that went were clearly heavily influenced by the American background, viewing themselves culturally, socially, and educationally superior to the Native African ethnic groups they encountered. After a few decades of support from the American colonization society, independence was declared in eighteen forty seven, but only recognized by the US in eighteen sixty two. They also very quickly a deteriorating economic situation, marked by heavy foreign deck obligations culminating in multinational intervention and oversight in the early nineteen hundreds, as well as the establishment of a million eco rubber plantation for the Firestone Tire and Rubber Company, which would exploit the indigenous people in Liberia for decades to come.
Speaker 1: Any time is setting up a rubber plantation. I feel like that should be a massive red flag that you're one of the bad guys. Yeah, yeah, exactly, people who have been subject to settle a colonial violence and to like racially motivated sound like a cople I say, racially motivated violence, like the violence to inherent and racism and capitalism, the idea that the way to kind of right those wrongs is to become the one doing the violence, not the one subject to the violence. It's it in the Anmar, right, like a country that was brutally colonized by the country that I was born in, but in which essentially today the state of Myanma is it self a colonial entity.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We have a number of different ethnic groups, dozens of ethnic groups within Memma, and we have one ethnic group which is dominated governance, and which has dominated the military, and which has used the tool of the state to extract resources, labor, human bodies from the other ethnic groups, right, Like, because they've gone from being colonized to effectively being like a contiguous empire, and they've adopted the logic of the colonizer in doing so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Unfortunately, this is a very common phenomenon. You know, this is why I tend to view nationalism, even so called Third world nationalisms, as dead ends, as explicitly counter revolutionary, as against the liberation of all people. Yeah, because that construction of the nation state, or really of states and general, tends to come with the establishment of certain superiors and inferiors, you know, subordinates and rulers. Yeah, and the privilege in of certain religions, ethnic groups, skin tones, whatever the case may be, even within so called ethnically homogeneous societies. Yeah. You can even look at Japan, right, which is touted by you know, supremacists of all flavors as an ethnically homogenous society. Even within that society there's you know, colorism, and there's also the exploitation and marginalization of certain groups within that territory, such as the I knew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think a lot about like nationalism. Now, there's a time when there was a movement to try and use nationalism as a positive thing. They have a Brotherhood of Nations, right, It existed within Catle anti fascism in the nineteen thirties, Like, we are a nation which has been suppressed by the state, so we will build a nationalism that doesn't suppress people right, which sort the same thing with Kurdish people right, with the Kurdish Freedom movement. Their understanding, I would say, was more advanced than the Catalans, and that like their their analysis was that we are a nation that has been suppresed by multiple states, and therefore we will build society without the state in order to link create well where there is no boots, so you can't tread on people, right. I still believe that that is possible, but like in the last six months, you know, I've seen people back away from that within Kurdistan write and start talking again about the Brotherhood. People's was a mistake. They feel betrayed. I don't think those people would consider themselves to be superior, but they feel that their project didn't work. That really makes me sad. Ultimately, the Brotherhood of Nations like didn't succeed in Syria, right, And we've seen it effectively at like Sirious Dog or the Syrian Arab Republic after hundreds of thousands of people gave their lives for it to be a place where everyone could be free. And yeah, it really saddens me to see that that, like, like I really hoped for something better. This idea of brotherhood of nations which acknowledges people's difference, but it doesn't create a hierarchy. But we're not We haven't made it quite work yet, I guess. And because we live in a world right where where they appeal to nationalism and bigotry and the idea like specifically in Syria, I think that like Arabs should not be equal to Kurds was appealing. Through making that appeal, this project was able to be sabotaged, I guess now.
Speaker 2: I think that while we're still fortune the front approaches to liberation trying to figure out what that looks like, we've seen the truck record of nationalism, is my point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I think it's fair like it's it's been used much more as a force for dividing us, in making us hate each other, than it has been for creating a world what we can all live together alongside each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a digression, but in my experience in Trinidad, what I've noticed is that their efforts to kind of construct, and they have been since the establishment of Trinidad as an independent country trand Tobago as an independent country in nineteen sixty two. First led by doctor Eric Williams. There were efforts to kind of build this kind of cross racial like overarching like Trinidadia and Trindigo Nian identity, which I mean, I use that term trind Diego in some of my work, but the Beagle is kind of attach to Trinidad against their will. And even now if there are people who try to push that trend bag or unity, but there are also people who will assert, particularly people from Tobago, who will assert that yeah, no, we want greater autonomy, we want even independence from Trinidad. And so for maybe certain people unifying purposes that would use the term, but I try not to give off that impression that I'm using it for kind of unifying nationalism, because I think with the nationalism of such a young, quote unquote nation, a nation of nations of various people from all over the world, mostly brought here against their will. Yeah, they are these competitions I think over the proportionality of the representation of different racial ethnic groups, the competitions over who gets to define what this Trinidadian nation is, what it means to be a Trinidadian and afthlets to kind of balance or imbalance the proportion of representation depending on which government is in power. You know, our current government is very much oriented toward a kind of Indo Trinardi and Indian focus and have in many ways marginalized all other groups, maligned, all other groups, disrespected all other groups within the country to kind of elevate the sense of or get back for the Indian people in turnet and I don't want to go too much down that road talking about that, but it's just another example to me or the frustration and misdirection that comes with investment in nationalism, which currently holds a monopoly both here and as much of the world on narratives of liberation and anti colonial resistance. So I was treated as a anticlonial resistance is synonymous with nationalism. Yeah, as though the two cannot be distinguished.
Speaker 1: It should be a relic of the twentieth century, right, like it was heavily tied to state socialism. Right.
Speaker 2: The idea of the way that we.
Speaker 1: Fight the wrongs of colonialism is through creating post colonial nation states and ignoring the fact that many of those states, many of the boundaries they find themselves within, include a diverse range of identities. Like you said, of many people, including those bought against their will to those places, and many of those identities don't line up with the national identities, and it almost always results in a change of the oppressure rather than the absence of oppression.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you could literally just look at the entire history of independent Nigeria. Yes, the one very clear example of that. Yeah. But getting back to the comparisons, right, I don't see an explicitly titled ideology behind the founding of Liberia beyond settler clunalism, I suppose, but the implicit ideology was the supremacy of the elite American liberian way of life and the right to that territory and the label and the resources of its people. While the elite would themselves be subordinate to the global catalyst order dictated particularly by America and Europe, so the supremacy the American Liberian elite did not place them in a position of supremacy in the global stage. They were still in a subordinate position in some ways. Turning out to Israel, the political Zionist movement emerged in the late nineteenth century Europe amid programs and a failure to achieve equality for Jews in many countries. Its most influential early theorist Theodore Hurzel, argue that Jews constituted a nation and that anti Semitism could not ultimately be so through integration into European societies. Instead, they required a state of their own, and Palestine was not initially the only territory under consideration. Various proposals included Argentina, Uganda, and other locations before Palestine became firmly established as the movement's focus. Not all Jews agreed with this political Zionist cause that many Jewish socialists, particularly those associated with the General Jewish Labor Bund, rejected Zionism altogether. They argued the Jews should fight for libration where they lived, rather than establishing a separate nation state. Nevertheless, the Zionists colonial settlement efforts began and expanded in Palestine through the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, aided by wealthy benefactors, land purchases from absentee landlords, and growing immigration. The movement received a major boost in nineteen seventeen when the British government issued the Balford Claratia Express in support for the establishment of a Jewish National Home in Palestine, despite the fact that Palestine's Arab population constituted the overwhelming majority of the inhabitants at the time, a settlement expanded Sinus narratives increasingly emphasized the idea of return. The Jews were not colonizing a foreign land, but return into an ancestral homeland from which they had been dispersed centuries before, and the state of Israel was officially established in nineteen forty eight, accompanied by the Nakba or catastrophe, when more than seven hundred thousand Palestinians were displaced or expelled from their homes across Palestine. Like Liberia before it, ISRAELI emerged as a state founded by a population claiming a historic connection to the territory, and like Liberia, is legitimacy would be built upon narratives of return, civilization, and nationhood, while the indigenous inhabitants found themselves excluded from the political order being constructed on top of their home now Already, these situations aren't exactly one to one, but they don't need to be. To apply a settler clonal analysis. The key questions for ascertaining settler clonalism are if the settlers established permanent residents, if they claimed political sovereignty, if they dominated inditionous populations, if they created institutions that privileged settlers. Basically, what was the political and social order that emerged after they arrived and who was elevated and degraded by it. For Liberia, the answer becomes pretty clear once we look at how the new state was organized. Over the course of the nineteenth century, American liberia and settlements expanded their territory through a mixture of purchases, treaties, coercion and military expeditions, and outright warfare with Inditionous peoples, who made up the overwhelming majority of the population, were largely excluded from political life for generations. They lacked meaningful representation and government, and were treated as subjects to be administered. The settler elite monopolized state institutions and eventually established what was effectively a one party state under the True Whig Party, which ruled Liberia for over a century. The Liberian state extracted taxes and tribute from indigenous communities, relied on indigenous labor, and by the early twentieth century, international investigations were uncovering systems of forced labor and human trafficking so surveyor that they generated an international scandal. While the settlers themselves had once been victims of slavery and racial oppression, they recreated similar class and ethnic hierarchies in their state. Liberia, of course, differs from many other settler colonies, but they retained the basic framework of a settler population, clearing sovereignty over territory inhabited by indigenous peoples, and concentrated political and e chemic power in its own hands. Now compare this to Israel. From the late nineteenth century onward. Zionist organizations acquired land through purchases and violence following the Knappa, which created one of the largest refugee populations in the modern world. The Palestinians, which remained within Israel, was subjected to military administration for years. While Palestinians in the occupied territories continue to live under a different legal regime than Israeli settlers. The nineteen fifty two Citizenship Law and the twenty eighteen Nation State Law cemented the Jewish supremacist heart of the Zinis project. As since nineteen sixty seven, settlement expansion in the West Bank had steadily increased, accompanied by land seizures, home demolitions, restrictions on movement, and the fragmentation of Palestinian communities, and Gaza has been an open air prison where settlers occasionally move the lawn aka slaughter population since two thousand and seven. It's worth noting a major difference between the two cases, which is the demographic element. America Liberians remained a small minority ruling a much larger indigenous population, but the entire history of American Liberian ruled Liberia. Those kind of demographics are more akin to settler societies like South Africa, Rhodesia and French Algeria, which leaned heavily into the exploitation aspect of clonalism. Israel developed differently intentionally to ensure that Jewish people became the demographic and majority within its territory, so it's more comparable to settler societies like the US, Canada and Australia. Such demographics necessarily led to a difference in how indigenous peoples were managed between projects. Liberia system depended upon indigenous labor, while Israel's project has generally prioritized secure in land while minimizing dependence on Palestinian labor. In many periods of Zionus history, Palestinian labor was actively displaced in favor of exclusively Jewish labor. But again, settler colonism operates according to a logic of elimination that might often be expulsion and extermination, but it can also mean assimilation, confinement, and whatever else. Again, the settlers want the land. The native becomes an obstacle, and difference that the societies developed different methods for dealing with that obstacle. The US had its ethnic cleansings, removals, reservation system and boarding schools. Australia had frontier wars, stolen generations and land dispossessions. Canada had assimilation policies like reservation schools. South Africa and a wide rule couldn't expel the black majority, so they maintained apartheid controlled reservations and extracted labor. But again, what matters for definance at the clonalism is that indigenous sovereignty is displaced and set look control over the land is secured. Of course, indigenous people in all cases do not take this abuse lying down. From the very beginning of Liberian settlement, Indigenous peoples resisted the crew grabo by and numerous other ethnic groups fought against territorial expansion, taxation, forced labor, and attempts by the Liberian States to extend its authority into the interior, and despite generations of American Liberian dominance, indigenous resistance never entirely disappeared. Eventually, the political order that had governed Liberia for over a century began to crack, economic crisis, corruption and grow, and resentment towards settled domination culminated in a military coup in nineteen eighty led by Samuel Doe, overthrowing the government of President William Tolbert and ended more than a century of uninterrupted American Liberian political dominance. Now, that coup clearly did not create a free or egalitarian society. Liberia would soon face dictatorship, civil war, and immense suffering, but it did mark the collapse of the older settler elites monopoly on state power, and efforts at recovery in the country are ongoing. Palestinian resistance, on the other hand, faced a very different structury from the beginning of Zia settlement. Palestinians resisted displacement and land loss through protests, strikes, political organizing, and armed revote. The Great Arab Revolt of nineteen thirty six to nineteen thirty nine saw Palestinians launch a massive reich An uprising against both British colonial rule and Zonu settlement. Decades later came the first and second in defaders mass movements, a combined protest, civil disobedions, community organized and armed resistance. Pastidians have built a number of institutions alongside international solarity movements in an effort to sustain their efforts under occupation, siege, exile, and apartheid. Amid the destruction genocide of Gaza, passing and resistance continues. Liberia and Israel are both settled clunal projects, but they are different enough in scale and goals and methods and historical development that obviously treating them must equivalent for be misleaded. The point of the comparison is to identify what these societies have in common. Since the cool In Liberia, the old American Liberian elite has lost its monopoly on power, but in Israel, the settler clunal project is alive and well, with ever expanding settlements, occupation, displacement, and brutality. Whether settler dominance in Israel remains or falls is yet to be seen in Liberia. The end of settler rules not automatically bring justice, equality or freedom. Deliberation through state power has not brought their relief, especially in the context of a global capitalist order. The replacement of one ruling class for another has ended the struggle, but maybe put us semi cooler on that struggle. I believe the aim of deconization must be not merely the fight against the people at the helm of the system, but the very helm of the system itself, dismantling the structures that make domination possible. The first place, for Palestine and for all people's struggling against oppression and then set localism is only the beginning in the pursuit of liberation. That's all I have for today, All powers to all the people. Peace.
Speaker 3: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It Could Happen here listed directly an episode description. Thanks for listening.