Speaker 1: Man, what's handing?
Speaker 2: Man? You got more Shawn Besmall Lynch.
Speaker 3: Doug Hendrickson and Gavin Newsome.
Speaker 4: And you're listening to politickets, You're going to be you're.
Speaker 1: Knowing to be.
Speaker 5: Welcome to another episode of politics.
Speaker 6: Yeah, welcome, by the way, welcome to Chicago in the DNC.
Speaker 5: We are at the DNC the first time, the first time been been to the DNC. I've been to thirty super Bowls in a row, never the DNC. Pretty cool element.
Speaker 6: I like, this is this is my super Bowl, this is the political super Bowl. And by the way, where the hell are you? Marshaan? Why aren't you?
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, Gab, I'm in an undisclosed location right now. Yeah, I mean, can't be telling my whereabouts, can't give up my coordinates or nothing like that. But just understand where I'm at. They got the best motherfucking cigars that you could ever ever. Bless your motherfucking a lungs week. You understand we're.
Speaker 5: Sitting here talking politics and more. Shawn somewhere warm weather, I would s war. I was sure warm weather somewhere with cigars.
Speaker 2: Hey fresh, stop pocket watching my boy, Stop pocket watching my beloe. But man, make sure, y'all go howand my uh at my youngsters out there in Shareck telling my seal it was handed. We will y'all gonna be good though, Man, I gave y'all the g pass, so it's good.
Speaker 4: You fear me, man, I'll tell you what right now, we're giving no pass to Donald Trump. That's been a hell of a convention the last few days. And by the way, Michelle Obama, Barack Obama. We're gonna hear Fromkamala Harris later. But there's been one hell of an experience. But tonight we've got a few interesting guests. Who do we have on We got we got Tony Goldwin, former President of the United States.
Speaker 6: Tony seen on TV President. You don't don't you watch sam.
Speaker 2: My boy fits man, but look see man Fits. I'm gonna have to tell you though, because you feel me nomdy nom Deuce is my boy. You know I'm talking about.
Speaker 7: Namdi's married to Kerry Washington.
Speaker 5: Who is who is Tony's Tony's Tony's wife on Scandal.
Speaker 2: I ain't online, I'm I'm a I'm a huge fan of the show, but sometimes I don't like how Fitz was handling my boy now I'm duce girl, So I mean I might have to put some hands on that motherfucker. He just glad he better be glad that I'm not in the building.
Speaker 5: And by the way, I believe Marshall, we have one of your favorites, Anthony Anderson on tonight. Anthony Anderson, who is, by the way, a rock star. Anthony Anderson has been a grinder, day one, unbelievable, done everything.
Speaker 7: Compton, California, Compton, California.
Speaker 6: And so you know, so we got the President of the United States.
Speaker 5: Is that they're not like us. They're not like us? Marshawn, Is that what it is? From Compton?
Speaker 2: You there? You go? Who's singing that song?
Speaker 5: I knew that I got Kendrick Lamar, Yes I do.
Speaker 7: I'm all about Kenrick, our.
Speaker 6: Poet laureate, Kendrick Lamar.
Speaker 7: Come on, Marin, Marin City, Tupak. We got Snoop, we got Dre, we got them all in Cali.
Speaker 2: Marsh you tell y'all like this right now, y'all just got a couple of points.
Speaker 4: I love it and a little California love out here at the DNC.
Speaker 2: Marshall all, right now, who who made that?
Speaker 6: You know? I made that love.
Speaker 4: We nominated the Vice President of the United States to be our nominee the next president the United States, and we had a little California love intro, and then I announced our four hundred and eighty two votes.
Speaker 7: And by the way, you did an incredible job.
Speaker 2: How many votes?
Speaker 6: Four hundred and eighty two?
Speaker 2: What do that even mean? Though?
Speaker 4: It means she's got all the votes she needs to be the nominee of the Democratic Party.
Speaker 6: That's all it is delegates from each state. That's it.
Speaker 5: And Marshall, we can't wait to see you next week. But this is a great episode. Let's enjoy one more night.
Speaker 2: We're not making it seem like the show is over. We're just gonna jump into this bitch. Yeah, I'm talking.
Speaker 5: About We're about to jump in, absolutely right. We're about to jump in to polit chick in year.
Speaker 8: If we talk to our friends, if we listen to our neighbors, if we work like we've never worked before, if we hold firm to our convictions, we will elect Kamala Harrison as the next President of the United States.
Speaker 3: To Walls, that's the next nt President of the United States. Let's gonna have more fun than this podcast right now.
Speaker 2: I mean, man, what's hand me?
Speaker 3: What's up with your big dog she?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to be like you when I get older.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, no, I want to what's that your smoking?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Look this is right here. You can't worry about this. This is this came from an undisclosed location. Okay, give the coordinates out to.
Speaker 3: Okay? Cool? Cool.
Speaker 7: I gotta tell you I love that fit right now. Bro, that is a fucking fit right there.
Speaker 2: That is that.
Speaker 3: We gotta put that on a Gavin.
Speaker 7: We gotta see a Gavin Rocks out.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I want to take a special type of individual to come dripped out. You know I'm talking about like this. You know I'm talking.
Speaker 3: About Yes, sir, I know what you talking about.
Speaker 9: Then when you get back from your undisclosed location, you got to let me know when you're back in the city, man, so we can connect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because man, you feeling like I appreciate what.
Speaker 3: You do respect respect.
Speaker 2: I didn't you know. I took a leap of faith and you know, got into a uh what you call it, a new little career.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, You've got a lot of experience in that ship that I love to pick your brain.
Speaker 9: On you feel, Oh for sure, man, because I like what you're doing. Man, you found a nice little lane for yourself.
Speaker 3: Man, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost like some hustle hustling flow type.
Speaker 3: Hear what you're talking about? Yeah, I know you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Big dog Man. First of all, it's a pleasure. It's a pleasure you're talking about. Plasure to get with you.
Speaker 9: Man, It's okay, that's what's up.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 2: Probably one of the things that I I watched you and that I probably like the best was the Transformer ship. Okay okah for me, you know, seeing you in that type of position, it was like, yeah, I mean it was a whole different little look and just showed Joe. It showed Joe range and your length, like you know what I mean, don't categorize me and don't put me in no box type ship right right? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: My man, my man, this is it. I love this union. You govin new something myself and Doug.
Speaker 3: I don't know how. I don't know how this ship got put together.
Speaker 5: I think we need a fourth host.
Speaker 3: I got you, I got you, my location all the time.
Speaker 2: My kids though, you know what I mean? They're my two sons right there. I believed the sons though, you feel.
Speaker 6: Me looking forward to that inheritance.
Speaker 2: Look, check it out. It's gonna be it's gonna be greater later.
Speaker 5: Hey, okay, Marshaun Marshall, let me you have to answer to this.
Speaker 7: So as you know, you and I have.
Speaker 5: Been to probably the last eighteen Super Bowls together. The first time that been to this DNC stuff. Okay, little different, Marshawn. It's kind of like the Super Bowl in some respects without the day parties.
Speaker 2: They got the political groupies outside. Yes, sir at Okay, I'm trying to see what that political girl talking about. Political. I'm going to see what that political talk about.
Speaker 3: I got a question.
Speaker 5: But you grew up and you grew up in La obviously. You know, came from Compton, Marshawn came from Oakland. Yeah, and you got to find your way out. He got to find his way out he did, obviously, you did. Two A huge fan of work and what you've done your career has been incredible.
Speaker 7: You've been a hard worker, done your thing. Did you always want to get into show business?
Speaker 10: How did you?
Speaker 5: How did you get out of get into what you gotta do here.
Speaker 9: This is all I ever wants to do. Since I was nine years old, you know, I was. I'm the oldest of four kids. My mother was a failed actress back in the day. She's still a horrible actress, but she's working now.
Speaker 6: Horrible.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 9: But she was in the production at Compton Community College of Raisin in the Sun and me and my two younger brothers were in the back of the theater at the time, and I looked up on stage and I said, that's what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. Well, you know, I only wanted to do three things. I wanted to play football for the Dallas Cowboys, I wanted to be a lawyer, and I wanted to be an actor. And at nine, I realized that if I became an actor, I could become all three of those things and where whatever else I wanted to become in life.
Speaker 4: Love that, I mean, you literally had that clarity. Yeah no, bs, no, no, that's not a story that you're not telling you.
Speaker 3: No, no, it's real.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 6: Literally looked up said this is what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 9: I was in the backstage, in the back of the playing with my brothers and my two brothers, and I looked up and saw them doing what they're doing, and instantly I said, that.
Speaker 6: Is what I'm going to do with the rest of side. How did you manifest it?
Speaker 9: Did you start any any opportunity I got to be in front of a captive audience, be it singing in the church, choir, singing solos in choir and I can't sing, uh, you know, reading aloud in schools, spelling bees. Anything that got me in front of an audience, I jumped at the opportunity. And then I sought out you know, acting conservatories and acting classes and whatnot. At an early age, went to the high School for the Performing Arts, went to Howard University as a theater major. So but since the age of nine, I had I put the hours in it, and that's what I've been doing.
Speaker 4: But that's really it's interesting that you had that mindset of in front of any audience, because that's I mean, that kind of describes your career today, right, I mean from the Emmys to Plug and Play with Kimmel, uh, to doing these games I mean just men back.
Speaker 6: To anywhere there's a damn audience.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, I've always been fearless. You know, I've always been fearless and uh and confident in who I am and authentic to myself.
Speaker 6: You know what's so interesting, mar Shawn, You're the same damn way.
Speaker 4: But how the hell, I mean, how do you is that your parents?
Speaker 6: Is that your upbringing? To find that fearless?
Speaker 7: I know one thing. You guys both have good mamas.
Speaker 9: I know Mama Lish Hey, hey, hey, your mama played Bengo Marshaw. Come on, man, I said, that's why my mama wouldn't come to the White House to visit Obama because you had a Bengo tournament.
Speaker 2: It ain't nothing gonna stop a mama from getting to that Bingo you So we definitely, yeah.
Speaker 9: Now exactly, we got to get together, man, and get our mothers together because that that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 9: It was it was upbringing, but it's also something that I believe we were born with. It was instilled in this as well. But you know, we were born with that, man, and that's.
Speaker 3: Something that you can't get away from, you know.
Speaker 5: Because you've look, You've always been really anthy I've always loved what you've done.
Speaker 7: You've always been real. He's always been real. Even right now you're here.
Speaker 5: A lot of a lot of people don't want to mess with the political stuff. You're here, Marshaw is doing the show with us, because you know what, at the end of the day, you don't give two ships. You want to do what's right for you, right for your family, right exactly, live your life that way.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 9: I mean that while we're here. Yes, you know, you know, voting is my black job. That's what my pars say, Marsian, Voting is my black job. You know, we gotta make a difference, you know what I'm saying. And I keep telling these kids whenever I go back to the hood, whenever I go back to Compton and whatnot. Uh, you know, we got to start from an economic base, you know, first and foremost. But also we can't wait for every four years to make a vote. We got to vote locally at the local level, you know, superintendent, school intent, school supervisors or whatever they call comptrolls and all that. We got to vote for things that affect us directly in our neighborhood. You got it, you know, because those those are the people that really are going to have an effect on our lives.
Speaker 2: Damn, I'm glad you said that because I show was finna get on. Gavin and Doug ass like, man, y'all had this shit right now to run DMC. Y'all talking about who and that motherfucker got a voice, you know what I mean to stand up and you know what I mean, look at it from a perspective of what you just gave right now. So I'm glad you and that motherfucker and I don't want you to, you know what I mean, miss a beat without y'all feeling educating my two sons, I mean, you know, I mean we had these talks all the time. Yeah, No, tough to hear from an outside. You know how kids be when they hear their parents talking like that's just pops, he just talking shit. But you know when they hear from somebody else starts with him, you feel me.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, no, definitely, I mean you know that's being a parent. Man, I sit down. You know you met myself, both of you guys met my son of the game.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 9: So he doesn't listen to me because I'm his father, but he'll listen to Marshaan. He'll listen to you guys. And you guys are saying the exact same thing. So it's good that we you know, look, it takes a village, you know what I'm saying, and sometimes, uh, the people in the village didn't always listen to the head of the village.
Speaker 3: It comes from the other elders.
Speaker 9: And that's what happens in our community, That's what happens within our family. And so you know, I'm glad. I'm glad you said that, Marshan. And I I'm just here to have my voice and to do what I do.
Speaker 4: Man, what was that appreciate? Whether the community? And who are the big mentors? Who are the people you looked up to in Compton growing up?
Speaker 9: First and foremost my parents, But then I mean it's just crazy the kids, you know, my boys that were in the street really yeah, you know, they had some of the most brilliant minds. If only they had directed that towards something else than the street then drugs and gangs and all that. I was like, yo, man, you can run a fortune five hundred company. I see how you're running these blocks, you know, But it's all about circumstance. So those are the guys that I looked up to and took a page from their book, and they looked out for me, you know.
Speaker 3: They made sure I stayed away from that.
Speaker 9: They supported me in every way that I could, but also were big brothers to me and was like, Yo, no, man, stay away from this shit. You know, this shit ain't for you, you know, because I wanted to get into it. I wanted to be a part of the fast money. I wanted to get the girls. I wanted to get the cars. I wanted to get all that shit. But it didn't work, and they were like no, no, no, no, no, you got a bigger future than this.
Speaker 5: It's interesting because Marshaun says the same thing about him in Oakland with the streets in terms of sports.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so it is it.
Speaker 5: Obviously they knew you were going entertainment and that was your path. Is the same way for other kids that were doing other things too, is they recognized you might have the ability to get out and like no, no, don't touch him.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's exactly what they saw in me, what I saw in myself because again, this was a journey and the path that I started at nine years old. So these are the kids that watched me grow, you know, even though they may have been a few years older than me. They saw what I was doing. I played ball, I did all this other shit with them. But they saw me and my nickname was the actor. They were like, oh, here comes the actor. Okay, the actors here. But you know, they looked out for me. They gave me money when I needed money. They gave me cars when I needed cars, you know, to go out on dates or to go on auditions and whatnot. They made sure I was taken care of and they kept me insulated or protected from the world in which they were in even though I lived in that bubble.
Speaker 6: I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Marshall, and you have a similar experience all those early years.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: Most definitely what what the uh? What do you just describe right now? That's that's that's a saying that we'd like to say was raised by OG's and not i G. You feel i G is instagram OG's self explanatory. But you know, I mean, from from listening to you know what I mean, what he was just talking about, you have to have that type of that type of village around you, considering, you know what I mean, the conditions that you win, because at the end of the day, it's more about survival. I mean, a lot of the individuals who you know, I mean for me and I can almost contest to the same for you. A lot of those individuals, that was what they did in order to survive because that's what they knew, right the mindset and what you talked about, A lot of these could have win and ran five hundred uh fortune the companies you got the you got the brain power to do it, but your circumstances and these individuals they understand that. But for the time and where they at at that point in time, they get caught up into the you know, I mean, they get waste deep, knee deep ways deep into it. And it ain't like something you could turn your back on. Once you in that ship, once you win it, then you win it. But for the younger generation coming up, you know what I mean, you want to see them do better for you. So therefore, when you do do that, their payoff is seeing you going to put that ship into action, whether it's I mean acting, whether it's sports, you know what I mean. One thing that you said that that resonated with me was a lawyer. I'm like, damn, you was thinking beyond that's how you know. I mean, he was already outside the box before you. I mean, at nine years old, to see some shit a lot of us we don't see, and to have that type of mindset and then put it into the fact that shit if I act, you know, I mean, I could be that lawyer, I could be that doctor, I could be that motherfucking politician or whatever the case may be, and bring that ship full circle and still be able to put it on for individuals who might not see it the way that you do. But now you got to you got a different type of I mean, you say you vote black, but now you've got a different responsibility, yes, to their community, and that's to give the ism back now that you're done conquered, you know, I mean your position and where you at so hell yeah, you feel me.
Speaker 3: To top it up when you're back, man, because it's all about it.
Speaker 4: That's exactly how my Doug and I talked when we're together, exactly.
Speaker 11: Just look at the candidates. Kamala cares, cares about kids and families, cares about America. Donald only cares about himself. On her first day in court, Kamala said five words that still guide her. Kamala Harris for the people, that is something that Donald Trump will never understand. So it is no surprise, is it that he is lying about Kamala's record. He's mocking her name and her laugh sounds familiar.
Speaker 3: But we have him on the run now.
Speaker 12: I come from a state like our nation of dreamers, of doers, of entrepreneurs, of innovators, that prides itself on being on the leading and cutting edge.
Speaker 3: Of new ideas.
Speaker 12: California is the most diverse state in the world's most diverse democracy and democrats. I've had the privilege for over twenty years right to see that future taking shape. We go with a star in Alameda courtroom by the name of Kamala Harris.
Speaker 3: I saw that star.
Speaker 12: I saw that star fighting for criminal.
Speaker 13: Justice, racial justice, economic justice, social justice. I saw that star get even brighter as Attorney General of California, as a United States Senator, and as Vice President of the.
Speaker 4: United States of America.
Speaker 12: It's time for us to do the right thing, and that is to elect Kamala Harris as the next president of the United.
Speaker 3: States of America.
Speaker 13: California, we proudly passed our four hundred and eighty two votes for the next president.
Speaker 5: Come on, parents, I want to ask him question. And you may not remember this and Sean as you know as an agent, I am. I remember back in two thousand and seven, I'm with you with Justin Tucks event and we're at the bar at at before the event he had.
Speaker 3: In New York.
Speaker 7: In New York, I think you might have just had a show. Can something happened?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: And never forget we're sitting at the bar having tequila and and you're between stuff, And tell me your mindset back then, because you're kind of you're going to your career and unlike sports where the phone might stop ringing or you got to get a try out, whatever it may be, you're between jobs. I don't know what it was, but I'll never forget. We're sitting there, you're between stuff. You don't know when the next thing's coming. So the mentality of an actor, because Marshaun's now an actor, how do you go through that process? Like I gotta I gotta do. Are you calling your agent, you're calling your manager or you're like shit, I hope something comes in. How is your mindset when you're between stuff and this.
Speaker 7: Is your livelihood?
Speaker 9: You know, it's it's all about being your authentic self, right, the industry and your agency and your managers. I don't need to call them if I'm in between gigs. They know what their job is. They know what the hustle is, and it's the hustle up the next thing for me. But for me, it was also about creating that next opportunity because if that opportunity, if I'm looking for things and things aren't being written for me, stories aren't being written about me, or about the culture that I'm from or anything that I could be a part of. I have to create those things for myself. And that's what I was able to do with my very first television show, all about the Andersons I created, you know, Blackish, and creating that with my partner Kenya Barras and telling our story. So it's just all it's about creating those opportunities for yourself and not sitting back and waiting on somebody to bring you something or create something for you that may not be right for you, and then you have to conform to that.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, I want to tell my story, you never.
Speaker 4: I mean, I love everything to say with political terms, you know, it's just not them. To experience is something to manifest decisions not conditions determine our favor in future. But this notion of having agency, I mean again, is that just?
Speaker 6: I mean, was that?
Speaker 4: And I just think it's fascinating you've had that mindset and you've had that self confidence. But ultimately what you continue to say that I think resonates mostly me and I know in terms of my appreciate for Marshan, this notion of authenticity, you keep bringing that up and just what just being yourself?
Speaker 6: I mean something again, nature nurture? Was that something Mom said?
Speaker 3: It's just how I was raised and it's just who I am.
Speaker 9: And I think that's what endures Marshan and myself to the public the way that it does. You know, they they you know, they look at Marshan, they look at myself and it's like, Yo, that's my man on the block, that's my uncle, that's my cousin, that's my family right there. And I think that's what has resonated with people around the world, in particular for me, because they see me, they see themselves up there. You know, they see someone that's unapology jady, that that's doing it their way, that doesn't mind making mistakes, you know, and we learned from those things, man, And you know, going back to you know something that Marshan was saying earlier. It's about paying it forward, you know what I'm saying, going back, you know to the cats that we grew up with, who saw something in us and invested in us so that we could be in the positions that we're in right now. So now it's my responsibility to go back and lift as I climb.
Speaker 3: You know that. That's what it's all about. And that's what I do.
Speaker 9: And I believe that's what Marshaun has been doing with you know, with his foundations. You know, I've been following your brother, I've been seeing with you. I've been I've been a fan of yours for a long time.
Speaker 2: Mann spit that ishm though y'all talking about Yeah, and then you know what I mean one thing that like, I just went. I went crabbing for the first time, Okay. I enjoyed the fucking experience like a motherfucker right.
Speaker 3: Yeahs.
Speaker 2: And as I'm catching the crabs and I'm throwing them in the burrow, you feel me, I'm damn. I was so excited about Damn, I gotta crack. Oh, I got another. I got another Oh, I got fourk pies. I got two piece and I'm throwing them in there, and Dan, you find me at the end of the experience, I mean, at the end of the trip. I look in the in the bucket and I'm like, oh shit, this is the mentality that I heard the crab in the bucket type of situation, and that was like damn. From looking at it and actually seeing it with my own eyes, I'm like, oh fuck. It resonated to me so much on a deeper level than I'm like damn. But what it sounds like when you speak is more so your mindset and your mentality was to shake that shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not be you.
Speaker 2: Feem me though a prisoner of of the fucking whether it be the fucking police officer you know what I mean down the street, or the motherfucking teacher or the principal who tell you you ain't gonna be shit, that you're gonna be dead or jail by the age of eighteen, because they're so used to putting that type of fucking I'm gonna say, my fucking spelled on us because they using those words, you know what I mean, to trap our mind and to believe that shit because it was up until what I was with nineteen twenty when I'm looking at it like damn, im, I'm not in jail, nor am I nor am I dead?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Oh, these are extra lives that I got right now, I'm looking at it like that, like I just got a green mushro and now I got an extra life. All right, Now, I got another time to try this, you know, I mean when you talk about you know, looking at it from not making a mistake, I mean from making a mistake, being comfortable with that, knowing that motherfucker I ain't perfect. I mean to do this thing called life, and I might have been giving you feel me though the short end of the stick. But I'm gonna make sure I rock. I rock, and I'm enjoy this shit. But at the same time, I'm make sure I bring individuals along with me who, for show didn't have an opportunity and or a Yeah, now I get to show individuals because anything I do, it's almost like ain't nothing new under the old moon. You feel what I'm talking about, right, And you know, I mean there has been innovators and motivators, you know, I mean before you I mean, before there was even a thought of a Marshaan Lynch. And now when you talk about paying it forward, like you know what I mean, you say you vote black? You know what I mean? Fuck in this almost all right. Look, I'm not the first one to do this, I'm not the last one to do this, but hey, check it out. Yeah, caught up with that mindset that we got to be the crabs in the bucket, right, create our own situation beyond Yeah, to go beyond it, to go beyond what an individual is going to put on us, to make us wear that ship. Like that's who we are.
Speaker 7: And the best question.
Speaker 5: So you look your you grew up a sports guy and you're also political guy. Yeah, you can trade places with where Shawn going to the Hall of Fame, winning a ring or the governor.
Speaker 1: What do you want?
Speaker 7: What do you want to do this? You can be governor, or you could be Marshan in his career.
Speaker 3: Ship. I'm Marshaan Lynch all day, every day. I'm Marshal Lench all day every day.
Speaker 7: Vegas was going.
Speaker 3: I know this ship you go through. I don't want to go through that ship.
Speaker 2: I don't. I'm gonna tell you ship when they when they put off the uh the picture and the press release. I wasn't even aware of it, you feel me because I don't run my Instagram. So as I'm walking through the airport, I'm on my way to go and shoot our first episode, and the motherfucker walk up to me like you fucking scumbag. You're fucking terrible, and I'm looking at the take my earphone all like like what's up. I'm just here so I won't get fine, like what fuck you, you scumbag? And I'm like, oh ship, oh that they hit different?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Hey you you cool bro, like fuck you? You you fuck with Gavin Newsom and.
Speaker 7: Who yeah, this is the story telling you.
Speaker 3: It's deeper.
Speaker 2: You know you from ball game right.
Speaker 6: Marcia and used to walk the mean straight to the convention with me. Yeah no, see you would have a different feel difference.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, yeah, it's a different Monday through Sunday.
Speaker 7: Anthony, I think more Sean.
Speaker 5: One thing I appreciate about him he the mental health part. When he remember the press conference, take carry mentals, yeah, take carry chicken.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, take yeah yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: For you, I appreciate you doing the mental health I mean doing the men's health stuff for men that people don't want to do getting the exams, the one that take me through your mindset on the health part of it, of what you've been so passionate about.
Speaker 3: I'm a type two diabetic.
Speaker 9: I was the first person diagnosed in my family with type two diabetes. Then my mother became diagnosed with it, and then later on down the line, my father we found out as a type two diabetic, but had been undiagnosed for more than twenty years. And I realized that from the symptoms that I had when I first was diagnosed as a type two diabetic, thinking back to my childhood, my early teenage years, I was like, oh shit, that's what my dad was going through back then.
Speaker 3: But as a black man, and it's.
Speaker 9: Unfortunate that within our community, our men rarely go to the hospital unless they're appendied and appendage is falling off or something like that.
Speaker 3: But regular shit, we don't do.
Speaker 9: So I partnered with Novo Nordis to start this campaign about get real about diabetes dot com and it's just more of an informational website that people can go to to get information about being a diabetic and the things they should ask their doctors are things that they should look out for. But it's more so me traveling the country and having these conversations within our community about yo, go get yourself checked out. Man, go to the doctor because you get your oil changed in your car every three thousand miles. But you don't want to go to the doctor every six months, every four months, every quarter, you know, because if you go, because they're afraid of they might find I was like, Okay, well you go. It might be preventative, you know what I'm saying, or they may find something and it's not too late. But if you don't go at all, that's that's it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: I lost my father to complications from diabetes because he was undiagnosed for twenty plus years and it ravaged his life.
Speaker 7: So that he would he would have he would have.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, that's that's that's that's what it is.
Speaker 9: And another thing, I just want to go back to what Marshall was saying. You know, he had turned nineteen or twenty and realized that you know, he had a green mushroom and he got extra lives. You know, I was so proud when I reached a certain age that I wasn't the statistic that society said that I may be coming from the place that I came from, and I sit here today as a fifty four year old man with the succession.
Speaker 3: That that I've had.
Speaker 9: Yeah, fire, just turn fire, just turn five fall on Thursday, maybe August fifteenth.
Speaker 2: Thank you. First of all, congratulations. You don't look at day. I think I thought I had you though.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, Hey Marshall, you know black don't crack ship. You know, I said, chip around the corners a little bit, but it don't crack.
Speaker 2: Hey, oh god, I respected by damn.
Speaker 9: I ain't know you was og like that, Yes, sir, So to sit here as a fifty four, fifty four.
Speaker 3: Ain't that guy that held over here?
Speaker 6: But yeah, yeah, you guys mentioned about it some goddamn.
Speaker 9: But but here but but but but to be fifty four coming from what we've come from, seen what we've seen, and experiencing what we've experienced. They're not too I can tell you this. They're not too many fifty four year olds from my eighth from my block. Yeah that I grew up with, I get it.
Speaker 2: And there's not too many thirty eight year olds from my you know what I mean. I don't either bury or I got to get on the jack and talk to them while they ain't in the pin exactly.
Speaker 3: And that's how it is for me.
Speaker 2: Fifty four, I ain't really a fifty four. You're fifty four, you feel for.
Speaker 3: You know, it's different than the fifty four that we grew up with. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Exactly fifty four.
Speaker 9: Yes, And to be fifty four sitting here on a zoom with you in an undisposed location, sitting next to the governor, and sit next to Doug who does.
Speaker 3: But he's done on a big level.
Speaker 7: Yo, I'm winning.
Speaker 5: Hey, so, Anthony, here's a beautiful and you talked about this other day with Moreshawn. So this is the year More Shawn is going to go to the Hall of Fame. Right, Yeah, but guess what else we did. We talked to Kimmel the other day, okay, and kim Well said, listen, my favorite host is Anthony Anderson.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, so we also have the campaign for you to take that job over when he retired. That should to us, he's probably gonna walk away. Yeah, you said, hey boo, but who's the next host? It might be you?
Speaker 1: He knows.
Speaker 7: Now, we got it. Now we've got a position for that.
Speaker 3: He knows.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 9: You know, next to Adam Carolla, I've sat on Jimmy Kimmel Live.
Speaker 3: More than anybody that's ever been there, and.
Speaker 9: I've hosted or co hosted the show more than anyone that's that's come on. Uh And and Jimmy's my guy, and he knows that. Whenever he leaves, I'm putting my bed in to take off.
Speaker 2: You're not show and Ben and doing that. Hey man, that's different. We had a conversation where, you know, I say, when we look at the individuals from our neighborhoods, you know what I mean, we don't We don't see too much you got you know, I mean the most successful motherfuckers that we've seen that doesn't touch you know what I mean, some some some some two chicken probably come from you know what I mean, pamping, hustling, feeling, you know what I mean, just trying to make ends meet. But when I look at this young individual's, well you ain't in front of me, but you know what I mean, you get the point. And then I'm like, okay, from the movies to the producing, the directing, all the ship, Yeah, I mean to talking about being the next host for the OSCARS type ship.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're doing that.
Speaker 9: We're doing that because Jimmy walked away from that too. You know, I've already done it in me, so we gonna see. But you know what, you gotta claim it, you know, And that's what I do. I claim it as my own. If it's meant for me to have and just manifest it, you know what I'm saying, And that's how I live my life.
Speaker 14: It's up to us to remember what Kamala's mother told her.
Speaker 3: Don't just sit around and complain. Do something.
Speaker 14: So if they lie about her, and they will, we've got to do something. If we see a bad pole, and we will. We got to put down that phone and do something. If we start feeling tired, if we start feeling that dread creeping back in, we got to pick ourselves up.
Speaker 3: Throw water on our face. And what.
Speaker 15: I'll be getting out every day to help people get out and vote on November fifth and elect Kamala Harris and Tim Wallas as the next president and vice president of the United States. After the results or tally that night, we can, in the words of the Great Steph Curry, we can tell Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: Night Night, I do.
Speaker 5: What do you want to do the next five ten years besides the Kimmel Show and all that? What else excites you that you want to do that you haven't done or do again?
Speaker 7: Movies or TV or whatever it may do?
Speaker 9: You know, continue in my lane as an actor, you know, movies, TV and all that, but also give other people the opportunity to tell.
Speaker 3: Their stories who may not have the opportunity.
Speaker 9: Now, you know, we stand on the shoulders of those before us, And it goes back to me, say, it's my responsibility to lift as I climb. So somebody made an opportunity or made a way for me to do what it is that I'm doing. So it's my responsibility to make away the next generation. So that that's what I want to do. I want to get more involved in having people tell their stories and producing things with and for them.
Speaker 3: That's what I want to do.
Speaker 9: I'm going to continue to be in front of the camera as an actor and behind the camera as a director, but more so I want to get on the production side and build brands for other people.
Speaker 6: I love it, Yeah, I love it. And how do you think this brand building is going for Kamala Harris.
Speaker 3: Hey, hey man, you know we both HU graduates.
Speaker 2: Now you want to get political with your big head ass.
Speaker 3: Look at you one, So we're going to see. We're going to see.
Speaker 6: You went back and got your damn you.
Speaker 2: I went back.
Speaker 9: I went to Howard in eighty eight. I was supposed to graduate in ninety two. I ran out of money. I couldn't call home and ask my parents to send me money. I was the oldest of four children, so I went back home with every intention on returning back to Howard University to graduate. But then life gets in the way, you know, get married, start having kids, my career takes off. My son got accepted to Howard University in two thousand eighteen, and I was like, you know what, son, You've inspired me to go back to college, so I'm going to walk with you in twenty twenty two. You walked with your son, Yeah, But unfortunately real life got in his way Mark Shane, and he dropped out after his freshman year.
Speaker 3: But I walked. I walked in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you was a school at the same time as Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So I hope that was an inspiration for him to see me walk across the stage and get my degree. And he was like, okay, because he's following my footsteps. He's a young actor, he's had several shows. He's talented.
Speaker 7: Did you want him to go down your path or no?
Speaker 3: No, it was something he chose to do on his own.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah it was something you tell him not to get into it, or you couldn't talk, or no.
Speaker 3: I didn't want if that was his passion.
Speaker 9: You know, he saw he was born into this lifestyle that we have, and he saw what it did for our family because of my hard work.
Speaker 3: And he wanted to be a part of that.
Speaker 9: And I can't deny and be like, no, man, don't do this, don't go don't go into the family business. I was like, no, you see what the family business has done for us.
Speaker 2: And he's talented, and just like and just like it. To go ahead and tell Brian Brown like, hell, yeah, bro, I appreciate what you did. You know what I mean, you got you get that, you get the rock out with your son. Yeah, I think we need to normalize what you did with you know what I mean, with your with your little one.
Speaker 3: At the same time, Yeah, everybody's doing it, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a motherfucking blessing.
Speaker 9: So I support it man, and he and he's talented and he's doing this to and he works.
Speaker 3: So yeah he works.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you're working and uh pretty much every work and gress on all your success.
Speaker 6: Thank you on that damn degree. Thank you, sir, and thank.
Speaker 5: You for taking But Anthony, by the way, I want you to ask gat the same question. Give me a question you want to ask you, because that's real. I mean, you know, you know what we do things like hell yeah, But here's the deal, like a questions. So here's the deal with al about Marshaun Anthony's people go up to him and you, and what do they want? They wanted me to get a picture. No one wants to say, hey man, how you doing as your career exactly? You've done differently what was done? So people don't ask the I like to ask questions.
Speaker 3: I want to know what.
Speaker 9: Question you want to ask As an entertainer who was born and raised in California, who works in California, who's upset when we have to take our business out of California, I'm just curious.
Speaker 3: And this isn't your fault, this is I'm just curious.
Speaker 9: A yeah, yeah, no, I'm just curious as to why don't we have the tax incentives that Canada, Georgia, Florida, you know, all these other states have, you know, especially when Hollywood is in the backyard of California, Los Angeles. This is our industry. Why are we exporting our goods so these other places.
Speaker 4: We put our feet up, we stopped investing in our lead in the world we invent.
Speaker 6: It is competing with us all around the globe. As you know better than anybody.
Speaker 4: That said, I increase those tax and sent us at three hundred and thirty million dollars a year. We also loosened up the requirements and stipulations on how you access those tax credits, and we're looking to continue to build on that and expand them deeply.
Speaker 6: Mindel Yeah, well there's criteria for access.
Speaker 2: And by the way, shit they go to red tape.
Speaker 4: No, no, we try to eliminate the damn red tape with the new changes.
Speaker 6: Marshan, I listened.
Speaker 4: I mean again, I mean, you know, we significantly increased the poky words just a few years ago.
Speaker 6: It would literally triple where we were just okay years ago.
Speaker 4: But I agree, it's not yet near where we need to be against Georgia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're York.
Speaker 7: We go to these places.
Speaker 9: There's a thirty percent tax credit for tax credit.
Speaker 2: I just got finished shooting the film with I don't even know if I'm supposed to say to Night, but she with love and we went and shot the motherfucker in Winnipeg. Yeah, you know what I mean. I think I want to say it was a because I was telling somebody that I think Georgia had the best uh tax credits for you know, the entertainment space, and they was telling me, I think it was like seventy percent.
Speaker 6: It's it's it's crazy, I mean.
Speaker 4: And the problem is for us, it's a race to the bottom because the costs would be astronomical. And you look across the spectrum of issues from biotech, life science, nanotechnology, uh, obviously the AI space, everybody's chasing those incentives. And in California, I mean, I think we're trying to differentiate what's our added value the creativity to create a climate where people feel welcome, feel included, can fully express themselves, to.
Speaker 6: Continue to maintain that talent base.
Speaker 4: But it's harder and harder, and I recognize that with the bleed once folks move, and then you've got the studios yeah, out out in places like Georgia. So look, we're deeply mindful of this, and we, despite some of the budgetary constraints, maintained those commitments.
Speaker 6: And we're looking to advance them. So it's a legit question.
Speaker 9: Two more questions, How can you get into there? You know, just just just getting just getting too the tax thing. You know, California. I'm born and raised in California. It's an expensive place to live. Can you just explain to me why our state income tech is what it is and why does it continually increase in increments or whatnot compared to the rest of the country and whatnot.
Speaker 4: So the vast majority of Texans pay more in taxes than California's.
Speaker 9: Okay, uh, and they have much more money too because of the oil. Well, can we say that.
Speaker 6: There is well that that's true, and it's not.
Speaker 2: True companies that's moving out of California two.
Speaker 4: And a lot of companies in fact, moved back to California. Since twenty fourteen. We've never had more fortune five hundred companies than we do today.
Speaker 6: Actually just broke that record.
Speaker 2: That's said they can pay for that ship.
Speaker 6: Don't hold on.
Speaker 2: Hold on, Oh no, one second, I got you, I got you.
Speaker 4: What's interesting about our tax We have the most progressive tax rate ina uh. And the tax rate is the high is highest for the one percent or middle class.
Speaker 6: We're about average compared to dates. And so it's about who you're for.
Speaker 4: I'll give you an example in Florida, the one percent or tax less than the bottom twenty percent.
Speaker 6: And that's a value proposition. Think about that.
Speaker 4: And so, yes, California has a high tax rate, but not high taxes compared to many other states across suspective property tax, of sales tax, you.
Speaker 6: Look at payroll tax, you look at all of those taxes, you stack them all together.
Speaker 4: California is slightly above average, lower than some of those red states for the vast majority of our residents, but not for the one percent thirteen point three percent that you pay. So you're in that rarefied air. And that has not increased since twenty eleven. It was twenty eleven the voters approved that tax rate. The only tax increase you've had is the elimination of the state and local tax deduction.
Speaker 6: And that was a Trump tax trisp.
Speaker 5: Yeah you're anthey, real talk when Marshawn you're coming on. He was so excited, so we wanted the honest and true story. We want to thank you Ben because he was like getty to talk to you.
Speaker 7: We were excited. My client was a cousin and and whatnot. So I've known you a long time. We love what you're all about. We love what you do. Uh and and this is what their show is all about.
Speaker 5: We want to bring guys like you Wane, that get it, that are real, authentic, understand life on borrow time, live life the fullest, enjoy.
Speaker 7: It as well.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, okay, we're gonna have a couple of drinks tonight, right, yes, sir, tonight and whatnot.
Speaker 7: We don't know where he's at.
Speaker 3: He's outing one, that's okay. Hey, hey, hey be smoked. I'm gonna put one in the air for you myself tonight.
Speaker 2: Yes lord, you know I mean, because I'm gonna tell you this much. I don't know how the laws he is over here, So I don't want five no you hear me, No, no duty right now. But you know what I mean. I do got good cigars, very very good cigars. If you catch my drift.
Speaker 3: I got you, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna make sure I'm gonna dedicate at least a good minute, minute and a half to just remember that goodw put up a good good that beautiful flower smell, yes, sir, to put me in my element.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, you enjoy your rest trip there, Anthony. We we appreciate you. Man, We all got to hang in Cali. We're back in Cali, okay, and let's hear the movie together, you two guys.
Speaker 7: At some point we got to see that I need I.
Speaker 3: Need your info. Man, We get it from Doug. Is that cool?
Speaker 1: Hell?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But look though, when you do got a situation going on because I am, it ain't even got to be no road. It could just be a come down just to check out what's going on, just for I could see you feel me. I'm you feel me though, Yes, sir, Me and Doug like the joke public school, you know, I mean, I was in uh special resource classes, you know what I mean. So yeah, my learning capability, I have to actually be there.
Speaker 6: There we go.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I got Sean.
Speaker 6: We love you baby, all.
Speaker 16: Right, and with your help, she will lead with joy and toughness, with that laugh and that look, with compassion and conviction.
Speaker 10: She'll lead from the belief that wherever we come from, whatever we look like, we're strongest when we fight for what we believe in, not just against what we fear. Pamala Harris was exactly the right person for me at an important moment in my life, and at this moment in our nation's history.
Speaker 3: She is exactly the right president.
Speaker 4: All Right, mister President, it's good to have you at the convention.
Speaker 1: The hell is like my own convention, your own convention.
Speaker 6: Your own convention.
Speaker 3: But what was it like?
Speaker 4: I mean, you participated in a number of previous Democratic conventions.
Speaker 6: I think the big one for you is twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the first time I was on the stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're nervous as hell?
Speaker 1: Is that one? I was nervous as hell. You know, I had never done that before.
Speaker 17: And it's a very unusual environment, really to walk out on this stage in this huge arena.
Speaker 1: We'll have the noise that it's different.
Speaker 17: At that time, I was we were doing the show Scandal, and I was playing the President. And Kerrie Washington, who had been who'd done it before, I said, do you have any advice for me.
Speaker 1: She's done it in twenty twelve.
Speaker 17: I think, yeah, And she said, all I can tell you is it's the most nervous I've ever made in my entil life.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, thanks a lot.
Speaker 6: So that's wild to me as an actor. I mean, you're always performing.
Speaker 4: You look at it just like another performance or is it just way out of the.
Speaker 1: Element normal all the same?
Speaker 17: I mean actually in sixteen I stood, you know, backstage getting ready to go on, and my heart started pounding really hard. And so I said to myself, I'm like, God, damn President the States.
Speaker 1: And I was like, yeah, that was very helpful.
Speaker 5: No, Tony, big fan of yours in terms of what you've done your whole career and so coming out here on yeah, I mean, you killed it the other day and everyone loved what you did. It's all over the internet of what you did and how you did and all that stuff. So was it in the prepared in terms of the last couple of the last year's of scandal.
Speaker 7: Coming out allows you to come out and do what you did, well, you.
Speaker 1: Kind of learn.
Speaker 17: I mean I thought doing that show, I realized that, I mean, you know, Governor like there was a certain theatricality and their performance aspect to the job of being an you know, you have to do so. I the thing that shocked me as an actor when I started doing Scandal is that people started treating me with this deference as if I was actually the president of And it freaked me out. And then I was like, Oh, everyone who assumes office is just a normal person who is doing that job and has to figure.
Speaker 1: Out how to find themselves.
Speaker 3: It's interesting.
Speaker 1: So I thought that was very interesting.
Speaker 17: And so then you know, the kind of imposter syndrome that sometimes we feel. You just go, well, no, I'm just gonna play the role because that's what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: You know. I thought that must be part of the job anyway, and you get used to it, you know.
Speaker 3: That's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what do you recommend?
Speaker 6: Acting or politics?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, or you're gonna stay me. I gotta stay with acting. Would be no good politics.
Speaker 6: Well what do they say about politics? It's acting for ugly people.
Speaker 1: So you're good.
Speaker 4: Hardly. But so, you guys, it's an interest for me, you know, for people to put themselves out. It's such a polarized time. People are talking down talking past each other. Everybody seems to be in their camps. I mean it takes a little guts for you and your profession to come out and do something again and assert yourself. I mean, you got to really believe in this stuff. This is not yeah, I mean this is in your soul. Have you always had a political sort of bug and energy.
Speaker 17: I've always been fascinated with politics, and I've always been felt that I as soon as I had a platform that felt a bit fraudulent just for its own sake, I was like, I'm an actor or you know. But when I realized I could use it to advocate for, you know, And initially it was advocating for causes or on issues specifically. The first campaign I was ever a part of was Hillary's campaign in sixteen because they asked me to they knew I was a supporter, and then I said, sure, that sounds really interesting. So I've always been fascinated with it. But also I felt like, if you have the platform, you should have the courage to use it for what you believe it and so yeah, and the people I most respect in my world, whatever their whatever their beliefs are, you know that they they're not afraid to put themselves out there because they're worried about what someone's going to think.
Speaker 5: Or well, Tony, we always say Marshawn and I are our co host. Marshan, who's not here tonight but he's listening is and me and Gab we all still.
Speaker 7: Run borrow of time.
Speaker 5: And I appreciate that because so many people are has it just to jump in for a cause, and you've been doing that your whole life, an innocent project.
Speaker 7: But going back before that, as.
Speaker 5: A fate growing up in your family, did you think about besides show business? Because your family's obviously an unbelievable epic family in the show business, did you ever think about going into finance or or something else?
Speaker 17: Well, you know, I yeah, I'm like the third generation of entertainment industry in my family.
Speaker 1: So as a.
Speaker 17: Kid, I wanted to do anything, but I didn't know what, And then I was too young to think about what I wanted to do. But then in high school I started doing high school plays all these just because my older brother did it and I wanted to be like.
Speaker 1: Him, and immediately was bug bitting.
Speaker 17: The bug got me and I was like, oh no, so predictable and then I, you know, thank God, because it's been and now, you know, once I was able to kind of find my footing in the profession, I felt so lucky to be part of the legacy. It's right, it's a really interesting thing to to be a part of a multi generational family industry that's got.
Speaker 4: To imagine that comes with expectations. But that got to be some burden in that as well, right, it.
Speaker 17: Was it first, Yeah, it was, but I realized it was my burden to figure out.
Speaker 1: You know, like.
Speaker 17: In my twenties, before i'd kind of found my identity or my sea legs, it was.
Speaker 1: Hard having a famous last name. And have you any already come up?
Speaker 17: Oh, I know your dad or my brother was very successful, my own brother and so. But then I knew I was like, I just got to push through because honestly, no one really cares. People don't care, right, take care if you're good, if you can do the job or if not, amen.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, So.
Speaker 17: And whatever, sort of like we were talking about putting your stick in your neck out for what you believe in. You know, if someone's gonna trash talk you for nepotism or whatever, it's like, that's fine.
Speaker 4: Amen. Yeah, But Doug mentioned the Innocence Project, which I appreciate because we've been doing a lot of prison reform. I know you're in California trying to model but the innis Project. I mean a lot of folks don't know much about it. How'd you get involved in this project?
Speaker 1: So I was working.
Speaker 17: I developed a movie, a movie that I directed that came in a twenty ten called Conviction, which is which It was a movie with Hillary Swank at Sam Rockwell, and it's a true story about a guy who was spent eighteen and a half years in prison for a murder he didn't commit, right, and Hillary Sam played that character in Hillary played his sister, Betty Anne Waters. And they were poor, uneducated kids from you know, outside Boston, and she was the only person who believed her brother was innocent, and she'd never graduated tenth grade. She decided, she said, if you stay alive, I will get you out of prison. And she went to high school, got a ged, went to college, went to law school, became an attorney, just to find a way to get her brother out. And she found this organization called the Innocence Project, which had pioneered the use of DNA to prove innocence. And she called Barry Shack right now, dear friend Barry Sheck, who was here last night, you know, and said, would you represent my brother, and they said, if you can find some DNA existing evidence, will maybe consider it. And uh, miraculously she found, you know, a sixteen year old box of bloody evidence in the Old House of Boston and they got him out.
Speaker 1: And so we made a movie of that. And then I found out.
Speaker 5: By the way, by the way, phenomena movie.
Speaker 1: Phenomenal movie, Thank.
Speaker 17: You, And so yeah, oh look who's here's.
Speaker 1: How you know?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: You the president?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I dodge your hat man San Francisco brother.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know it's.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: By the way, we're trying to get a scandaly, but we're trying to get you guys back.
Speaker 7: In a scandal you would carry and will bring Anthony.
Speaker 1: Anthony and we'll hold, we'll do a whole nother things.
Speaker 17: So anyway, so that got me clued into the whole innocence movement. In the work that Bury and his his co founder Peter Newfeld, and they're bout two of the great civil rights lawyers in the country, and now the INSINCE Project is the foremost civil rights I mean, the foremost on you know, criminal justice reform organization in the country.
Speaker 4: It's extraordinary and profound, I mean, and it goes I mean, we mean, so much of conversation about being you know, rich and guilty versus being poor and innocent sort of manifests in so much of the work that they're unwinding and reconciling.
Speaker 3: But that's great.
Speaker 6: So you've maintained that commitment.
Speaker 1: Do everything that I possibly can. Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 4: Well, appreciate you coming out and doing that. This year was a little different for you though, No, I mean you weren't. It wasn't one and done.
Speaker 1: You were the m C the first night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, a little Stressy, that's that's pretty good, but stress.
Speaker 1: But it was super cool.
Speaker 5: So that one I says you're a political guy, Tony. I want to ask you a question. I want you to ask the governor question of one thing or two things you want to ask him, really that you haven't asked it, really because.
Speaker 3: I get that all TI get I get that.
Speaker 5: All the time, and I want to hear from you what you want to ask.
Speaker 1: No, idea.
Speaker 17: How we didn't your views? How did you know this energy we all feel? How do we maintain this momentum? That's the key between Thursday night and November.
Speaker 4: We just had the Olympics. I didn't see anyone run the ninety yard dash. Yeah, I mean it was like they were at peak there running one hundred and ten yard dash. And that's got to be the mindset we talked about Hillary Clinton. You're obviously going support. We were all out there. I think we all ran the eighty yard dash. We kind of believe the punitry and the polls. They said, we're going to dial this, and we just got to dial it up when we got to keep Donald Trump on the defense, keep him on the mat. He's on the mat. He's flailing. He can't he can't even throw a punch, let alone land of punch right now. And so we just have to keep that momentum. That means everybody has to just double down, do more. No one has to worry as much as they were in the past. So we just have that maintain that moment in the passion action. Uh, and we can.
Speaker 3: Pull this thing out.
Speaker 4: But look, no one should underestimate Donald Trump, right no, one just can't. Yeah, I mean he's a he wrecks of the Republican Party, right, Yeah, he'll he'll mate you or he'll devour you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And so he's got that base locked up.
Speaker 6: And I'm worried about this RFK thing too.
Speaker 1: Were he's going to make an announcement something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he may be jumping at who the hell knows, Anthony.
Speaker 9: Do you know I want him to stay at home whatever. I hope that's his announcement that he's going to stay home. He's gonna stay home. Yeah, yeah, that's what I hope.
Speaker 3: And and you you didn't stay home.
Speaker 6: You're here as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm here, big. I showed him for you.
Speaker 7: Oh you really?
Speaker 4: You showed up for me in a Dodger hot Yeah, damn Dodger on top of my list.
Speaker 3: Kame along really really long tween you.
Speaker 9: And I I thought that's what the ticket was gonna be.
Speaker 3: Really really really.
Speaker 4: I think we have enough Californian's represented here, but Jesus and enough San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, let's stay on. We got to win this, damn Yes, yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: Jesus, Well, Tony, it's amazing that you're here again. Thanks for all your supporting of the party, but more poorly, thanks for just the causes you're committed to an engagement, this project top of mind, and thank you for all the work that you're doing for all of us. That was that was a spirited way to kick off the convention. The two nights you want, Monday night and Thursday night. See he was prime time. Okay, that's that's what's when people tune in because they're excited. So congrats, Thanks for yeah, thanks Tony M.