Speaker 1: Hey, we're talking to Susan Slesser right now, San Francisco Chronicle and a regular guest on splash It Territory with Jeremy Affelt and Scott Ostler. Those two new to the party on that show. Really excited about it. Please make sure that you check it out. Susan, great to see you. Let's start with the big stuff. What did you think of what the giants did here?
Speaker 2: Well, Tony I Fraiitella kind of put it perfectly yesterday called it pure chaos. It was his first trade deadline and wow, you're a manager and suddenly you lose six guys off your roster.
Speaker 3: That's pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: I thought Buster Posey got very good value, which he did last year at the trade deadline. I think he has a knack for this. It's not just him, of course, it's Zach Manazi and Paul me and Jeremy Shelley, like the whole group. They seem to know exactly what they're going for every trade deadline. It's a shame there in that position, right, but they're not doing anything.
Speaker 3: This year.
Speaker 2: They did the practical and right thing, and the surprise was trading three guys with service time left starting with Elliott Ramos, and you mentioned Eric Miller just a moment ago. You know, that's a very interesting deal with Marcel and Meyer coming back and Caleb Gillian going in their Rise deal, so all of those are a little bit surprising. But they clearly are targeting young starting pitching, pitching in general, and that's what they need.
Speaker 4: Susan. The fact that they had six guys that other teams wanted is pretty amazing for as bad as they've been this year, So there's something there, right, But they obviously had to trade other than a Rise, a lot of guys that had service time, and that's what teams are looking for. And I give Buster a lot of credit. He had pieces that other teams wanted, and he said, you know what, I'll get rid of them even if they do have service time left over, because I can get more players back that we can evaluate and we can try to develop. This was absolutely the right way for the Giants to go about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they were trading, of course from positions where you know, first of all, the two relievers with service time left, that's an area where they really have to rebuild that bullpen in the off season. They're going to have to go after a lot of free agents there to really make that a solid bullpen.
Speaker 3: They know that.
Speaker 2: And then with the outfield, they've got a lot of good young outfielders, so I think they feel pretty good about about where they are with that second base. You trade Luis Arise, who was just I mean, he was the best part of their season, the best story. Wonderful. But if you're bringing in somebody like Marcella Meyer Meyer he is going to benefit just as much as a Rise did from working with Ron Washington. So that's something to consider too. This all of this was done with the plan in place. You can see it, and to me, what's really interesting is we now get to see Tony Vaitello work with young players. Right now, the Giants have seven rookies on the team. They've got five guys with under two years of experience. This is sort of supposed to be his wheelhouse.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 2: You know, wins and losses aren't really gonna matter this final two months. But do these guys improve, do they play fundamental fundamentally well, do they make the right decisions? These are the sort of things that I think the Giants are going to want to see and this is how we finally judge Tony Vittello, who was not really in a position to succeed with that roster and was in a steep learning curve himself.
Speaker 1: What about anyone you were surprised didn't move, even if it was not just talking about yesterday. I'll bring up one guy who I'm just surprised doesn't have more league interest if the Giants eats some money. The perception of Willia Damas, who still has pop and you know, is a whatever four win player or something close to that, and I think would play better outside of San Francisco in terms of the bat. And it's not like the bat hasn't had pop in San Francisco, which is very difficult to do him and anyone else that You're like, hmm, I wonder why the league isn't interested in that player.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Willy and Matt Chapman both have no trade clauses. That complicates things. And of course the biggest complication for Chapman Dever's a Damas is those huge contracts. The Giants I think would have paid down a little, but they weren't looking like, look, these guys are for more valuable even with these big salaries and long deals. Then you know you're not going to throw thirty million at a team just to get rid of a guy, even if the return is okay, which it probably wouldn't be if you're asking a team to take on one hundred million plus. So I think it just from again, from a practical hill standpoint, I think Willia Domas, Matt Chapman, Rob Hildevers are probably worth more. Even on those big contracts. You know what you're going to get. Domicis down year, no doubt about it, but he has not been healthy. That is something that is going kind of very overlooked right now. Chapman's on the il. Of course, Endeavors is going to have another thirty plus home run season, even playing at Oracle Park. So none of that's really surprised me. I think that there were some teams that kicked the tires on all of them. I think they got calls on all of them. But I don't think that there was any chance that teams were going to pick up the entire deal, which probably you know, was what it was really going to take.
Speaker 4: Well, we know why no one's interested in the Damas. Let's be honest, he doesn't work very hard according to everyone out there, Susan, you wrote it. You wrote it, You're trying to bury another player. I know how your dastardly deeds are, Susan out there in San Francisco, So.
Speaker 1: You gotta get context.
Speaker 4: Can you clear this up for us? Why Willia Damas and Tony Vtello had to come out and say, well, he works just as hard as he's supposed to. What are we talking about here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you know. I asked Willy about this about two weeks before the Friday Apple TV broadcasts, which is where it was brought up that Ron Washington had said he's not available to work with me every day. I'd like to work with him every day. Ron Washington said the same thing to me. He said the same thing I think to numerous people. He would like to get Williadamas out there. Willy is not having a good season. Defensively, Willy knows that. There is a reason I talked. I talked to Willie. He's play not a secret. He has a bad back, but he has to maintain aj you know, especially in the modern day, players are really careful and the training staffs are very careful with the whole idea of if you're limited in some way but you're playable, you're going to cut back in other areas, and in this case, it's on field work when you've got a bad back. That kind of makes sense. Tony Vitella's point was, Ron Washington is really here to work with the guys who needed the help. Luis arrives number one, and look what he did with him number two. Rafield Diver's playing a new position, Bryce Eldridge playing a new position. You look at the left side and it's Chapman and Adamis. These are guys who have played these positions their entire lives. They do know what they're doing there, and Adamis's back injury is something that they have to be concerned with. So I think that's really kind of where maybe where the disconnect was. I know Ron Washington knows that Willie's dealing with the bad back. And another thing that I think completely goes under the radar when it comes to Adamas in the work he's doing. He does work with Wrong Washington several times a week. I mean, we're out there in the dugout.
Speaker 3: We see it.
Speaker 2: It's not like he's just ignoring it. He's out there doing that work. It's just not every day the way a Rise was doing, the way Bryce Eldridge is doing, and that's for a different reason. They're new to those spots, or in a Rise case, really trying to change his reputation, which he did and then some.
Speaker 1: Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program. Kratz.
Speaker 4: We love our pups, we do, and I can't put Bella in a bubble. So you know what I'll do. I'll do the next best thing for her.
Speaker 1: That's right. The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible that bills directly into your bank account, so you can get act of focusing on what really matters and that's your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul again one more time. ASPCA pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insured and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 4: Okay, next question, And I love Ron Washington. I played round with for Ron Washington. Why did he say this if he's out there? Did he just mean did he just mean that he washed? He was out there seven days a week, and that was what he meant by and he got a little bit taken out of the way he meant it.
Speaker 2: I think that Ron Washington sees a guy who's having a subpar year defensively a lot of that because the back end his natural inclination is to think I can fix him, and he probably could I And I think that's probably frustrating for him. I'm sure it's frustrating for Will in fact really said I would love to work with him. I think they're on the same page there. I think Wash just kind of wishes it and maybe says it a little bit too much to to maybe people they don't have the context about what's what's going on there? I think it's all coming from a great place, I really do. Everybody wants the same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, I totally agree. I love Wash, So I don't want anyone to think that I'm taking a shot at Wash. By the way, was there any talk with Buster Posey and the Phillies when they traded Luisa Rise that Ron Washington had to go with him to Philly or was that possibly a throw in and maybe they could have got another prospect back?
Speaker 2: You know what, I think Ron Washington leaves Luisa Rise like in the absolute, but like he's graduated. You know, he knows exactly how to follow the Ron Washington method. He's good, he's good to go.
Speaker 1: He is fixed.
Speaker 2: I think the next the next guy is Marcella Meyer. So and you know, continuing with Bryce Eldridge, who's still a work in progress at at first base, and plenty of of other young guys. So I'm sure we will see popping in and out here and there. Wash is always going to stay busy. I think he said he had five guys on the field the other day, like one after another. It was a very hot day too in San Diego, and Wash was just tripped with sweat. He's seventy four. We worry a little bit, but that talk about work ethic, that guy's got it.
Speaker 1: Hey, we haven't talked to you since the Harrison Vader scooter incident, so I wanted to get your thoughts on what's going on there. And I know he was already out, but then they're not going to pay him until he is able to play baseball again, So what do you know.
Speaker 2: It's also complicated, and you know, we would really probably have to have a look at the actual contract and know, you know, have a very legal background in things like contracts and the CBA and all of that to determine Harrison Bader's future. My guess is at this point, probably both parties would like to just move on from it somehow. Clearly the Giants are not happy with Harrison, and he is understandable. He re injured and already injured foot and kind of made a consult that was supposed to determine the direction of his treatment and hope to getting him back this year. That ruined that essentially, that consult, So the you know, the specifics I think are kind of known. We would like to know a little bit further. The Giants say they're still investigating. Certainly it was a very late at night incident in front of the Balboa Cafe, which is very popular bar in the Marina, very lively. You know the reports of eyewitnesses saying he drove into the back of a fire truck. This is all kind of not great, So the Giants suspending and without pay. There is language in most contracts and Aja you would know this about you know, things that you're not supposed to do. But one of those things I'm told pretty standard is not driving a motorized vehicle while impaired. And of course there's language about personal responsibility, especially for not being injured away from the job.
Speaker 4: Susan last thing. First of all, you should never drive a vehicle impaired, whether you're a baseball player, anything in life, So let's get that out there. And second of all, as a former Giant great as you know, and as a former person that's been to the Barrier plenty of times, we've all been to the Balboa Cafe. Okay, we've all had a good time at the Balboa Cafe. So that's not knock Earrison Beta for being hurt being at the Balboa cafe. We could get mad at him for taking the scooter, but we've all been to the Balboa Cafe and had a nice time there.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, you click, but you know what if you've got a foot injury Andrew going out for a fun evening, there's so many options now, Yeah, take an uber, get a driver. You know, he's at an income level where getting a driver seems like a great I would totally do that, So there are responsible ways to do that.
Speaker 1: True, Well, hopefully it's back on the field.
Speaker 4: Not his first swater accident either. By the way he got into one college which also he would think he would know not to be on a scooter.
Speaker 1: Well as long time ago, but now he's definitely he's probably done. I feel about He's a he's a great dude too. He's just awesome to cover. He's fun to watch, like it's just fun.
Speaker 2: And you know what, guys, there were teams that did have some interest in him if there was any chance that he was going to be healthy down the stretch. People know what he did with the Phillies last year, so it's an extra level. But like for both the Giants and for Bader, he could have been helping a contender down the stretch if he actually had a console that led to him being able to play maybe the last six weeks or so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that fasciitis ain't no joke, Susan, I've got it. It sucks. And I don't know if I could ride a scooter with fasciotis. And although I also got mine in San Francisco, so maybe there's something about the streets.
Speaker 1: I don't call it. Yeah, you think they they started off they're fascis. Okay, we'll tune into the nex conspiracy theory with favor. He's a kid. Yeah, Susan, thank you.
Speaker 4: So I'm not kidding about getting flash fest shal I know you.
Speaker 1: Got fassyis in Kansas, No, San Francisca. Yes, very well aware. We know AJ's life. That's a weird one.
Speaker 4: That is weird when you walk thirty thousand steps, when you walk from up the hills, you walk from the four Seasons to the wharf to the what's the place where the invented Irish coffee, and then you decide to walk back to the wharf, and then you walk back Vista In or whatever, and then you walk back to the Yeah, but then you go all through the it was I ended up with like thirty thousand steps and I got back to my room and I was like, out, what's wrong with my foot?
Speaker 2: And then I'm like, oh, it seems like a driver's situation.
Speaker 4: Exercise, Susan, I'd rather be outside carbon footprint the whole thing drop.
Speaker 2: You know what, There is a there's a happy medium, ah between exercise and thirty thousand steps.
Speaker 4: Oh truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fifteen thousand season. Thank you appreciate it, and we'll catch you on some splash Hit episodes.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks guys.
Speaker 1: Thank you that Susan slash. Jeremy affelts on there as a regular with Scott Ostler and Susan making frequent guest appearances on there, as well as a special contributor part of the Ft Network Splashit. It's great for parents looking for a new path to help your child succeed this year. There's still time to enroll in K twelve powered online schools. K twelve Powered schools offer tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Tod Father Take it Away.
Speaker 5: Stride is a wonderful option for anybody that's always on the run. I mean, look at myself, from playing baseball to helping out a lot of people. Stride is fantastic for your child to be homeschool. They will love it no matter what.
Speaker 1: K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction, and they provide real time support, all in an online setting that works for your family at home or anywhere that there's internet. If you're on the go, it could be for you. It's not too late to enroll this fall. See how K twelve powered schools can help your child thrive this year and beyond. Enroll on online today at K twelve dot com, slash foul that's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash f o u l K twelve dot com slash foul K twelve serving three million students and counting. A little tweet from Chris Catillo, Mass Live covers the Red Sox said. Marcella Meyer is said to be enthused by the trade and changing scenery out west. He's excited about the new opportunity instead of being bitter about a lack of a long leash in Boston.
Speaker 4: You know, sometimes you need that, Okay, Yeah, of course, he's excited. He's going to go and he's gonna get the opportunity to play every day. But wasn't he kind of getting that in Boston or No.
Speaker 1: They were bouncing him around a little bit. I think this is going to work out well where Buster Posey's just gonna say here you go, have fun, go take off. No, I agree, but still every day, same spot. You know they were bouncing them around. There's just there's These are two very different front offices. Boston's gonna get a lot more cute and San Francisco is going to be a lot more traditional. With the way that Posey looks at things.
Speaker 4: That's their I don't know. Listen, of course he's enthused. He got out of Boston where he wasn't you know? Now he's going. Here's the thing about this, as a young player, unless you're a star right off the bat, I might trout someone like that, you're honestly a better equipped as a player to go to a bad team to come up. Now, the Brewers, they do, but Brewers are probably the one team where they play their young guys a lot. But a young guy with the Dodgers, where's he going to play? Dalton rushing. Perfect example, Will Smith didn't get hurt. He doesn't get to play no name another position where they play a young guy.
Speaker 1: At some point, Pajes broke through. But it's really.
Speaker 4: Pie went through some ups and downs. Oh ups, and they were like, we hate this guy. Remember last year, we hate this guy.
Speaker 1: Vargas went through that for a short period.
Speaker 4: Of got shifted to Chicago, and now he's thriving because he got to go and play every dingy.
Speaker 1: It's a great point.
Speaker 4: I mean, honestly, when you're a young kid, it's hard. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get into the Braves. His is kind of joining us right now from the athletic covering this team Hazers. Good to see you. And I know Braves Country is livid right now. They feel like they were totally ripped off from what should have happened at the trade deadline. I'm sure you're seeing the comments and all of that too. So let's get into this. What happened? What did they try for? What did Alexanthopolis tell you after the deadline?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think to say Braves Country were upset might be an understatement. I mean to see the reaction all throughout a social media people calling it to the radio stations and just a general reaction. It was clearly disappointment. And you know, it's not just you know us who said it. There's been multiple outlets that have you know, the Braves as the losers of the trade deadline, and that's a that's unfortunate because you look at this team and the starting lineup passed stars everywhere, right from Akunya to Olsen to Drake Ballwin to Ozzie Alby's to Michael Harris, every single we're in that line that that's one of the toughest lineups that you're going to face you out all of baseball. The issue has been while the starting pitching as of late has been pretty well so far, the reason they went into that June swoon, I think also had to do with the fact that the starting pitching was not getting deep into the games. The hulpen was getting over tax and as a result too, I feel like when the starting pitching starts to not necessarily perform with the results that you want to be able to do, it creates this ripple effect within the rest of the team. And you know, I think that's a fair assessment to make. Now, what could have they done at the trade deadline. They could have added pitching, and they did. They added Tyler Molly, which didn't cost him much. It cost him a reliever who was probably going to get designated for assignment in the coming days. To make move. It was a good addition for them to do. But that was it. That was it. There was no Casey Mize, there was no Freddy Perol, there was no anybody else that was at it. They are going out with a rotation. And I put it this tweet yesterday. If the playoffs started tomorrow, it would be Chris Sale fantastic, absolutely, then Bryce Elder, then Tyler Molly in this case, and then one of Martine Perez or Grant Holmes. And you look at what the Dodgers have going on right now, objectively speaking, can that pitching staff go toe to toe with them at the end of the year when it comes to a playoff push or when it comes to matching the playoffs? Objectively speaking, A lot of people would agree that that's not the case. And Anthopolos was pretty clear in the postgame interview that they had a goal in mind, that they had a goal in mind, and it was just simply to make the team better, and to his point, the team did get better, but does it move the needle? The needle I think a lot of people are seeing that it's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and has we have that sound? So let's play that, and then I want to get your reactions since you were part.
Speaker 3: Of that, Hey, I mean, considering the strength of the Braves farm system, how do you evaluate the decision to just, you know, add Tyler Molly when you know you see other teams like the Padres who have significantly less than you guys acquire much more.
Speaker 6: I don't understand that question. It just the way you worded that just doesn't make any sense. So we'll see how Tyler Molly does. And you can have your thoughts and your opinions. And that's great. And obviously, like I said the other day, when you'd ask me, we're gonna find out obviously in a month or two or whatever. It is our farm system. Yeah, it's strong. I totally agree with you. That's one thing I do agree with you on. It is strong. People asked about a lot of our top players, and there's a bunch that we made available for certain players that we felt were impact difference making guys. And then there were other times that we were asked for some of those guys that we said, no, you know, so what any one club us does not impact us, right, So you put you pointed out one specific team, have all the respect in the world for that team. You know, we have teams in our division. We're trying to win the division, obviously make the postseason. We've never reacted to what teams do around us. We have to do what's right for us, you know. And uh, we've always operated that way. We're aware of it, no doubt. We're aware of what everyone's doing. We respect what everyone's doing. But I don't think in any sports job you can say this team did X, so we better go do X. It's just there's so many examples. Stuff like that doesn't work. You have to worry about yourself.
Speaker 4: Okay, was that you that asked that question? Hey, Susan, you're so so confusing with that question. I don't understand the question. Here's my thing. It doesn't It doesn't impact you if you have to play that team and they beat you with the players that they got, and then I don't understand, Well, you get Robbie Ray and Casey Mize and versus Tyler Molly. Listen, Robbie Ray has been with the pitcher in baseball for about the last month. Tyler Molly has been.
Speaker 1: Her by plus Era a lot of homers, pitching in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: Pitching in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: But that's he's That's why.
Speaker 4: I mean, I understand your question, and I just that was GM speak one oh one with the court. He had the quarter zip on with the polo underneath, so he had it nailed.
Speaker 1: Kind of gave him a shot.
Speaker 4: And I liked Alex a lot. I think Alex was really good at his job. But your question, Tasus was right on the money, and I think it kind of puts into perspective what most Braise fans are thinking. I know Braise fans that I know, and I've talked to you in the last twenty four hours or all texting me like what the heck are we doing. I don't have an answer for him, So maybe you can clear up what Alex was trying to say, because there was a lot of gibberish in there too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, first and foremost, I pride myself in being a report that asked the questions that fans want to know. And I think that question that I made what's very fair. I do acknowledge that maybe he could have been worded differently and maybe not necessarily mentioned the padres in order for it not to kind of get lost in the shuffle. But at the same time, I do want to put this out there. I have a lot of respect for Alex Santoppolos. I respect his journey. I know we me and him are in both different positions in baseball, but would share a similar journey in the way he started in baseball to the way I started in journalism and obviously became the Atlanta Braids, the reporter for the Athletic, which is owned by the New York Times. By the way, so I totally understand, you know, the response, because it's we don't know what conversation happened right before re write. It was fresh off the trade deadline. There's a lot of emotions going through and quite frankly, it wasn't the return that probably a lot of fans wanted to receive.
Speaker 4: And I think.
Speaker 3: Basically he believes in Tyler Molly. He's not gonna say that he doesn't believe in Tyler Melee. He wouldn't have made that acquisition if he didn't believe in Tyler Melee, and I think that Melee is a good addition to this rotation. It really is, I think, compared to what it was. It gives you a guy who's gonna go deep into innings, go deep into games, give you as much quality starts as you possibly can without having to really give up much prospect capital. But I think, I think it's really fair to say that there was so much more on the market and the padres out of all teams went out and we get it.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 3: Every year they're always buying, no matter what type of farm system they have, and that's a J Preller's mindset. A lot of you know, general managers probably don't agree with that mindset. They rubbed some of them off the wrong way, and that's totally fine. But he goes out there day in and day out, every single deadline, is able to acquire players because of that. Does it end up helping them down the road? No, because the team doesn't hasn't won a World Series in its franchise history, and that's just facts, right, so I think. But I think the question that I wanted ray is in the argument that a lot of braves fans are doing is if they were able to give up you know, the prospects they did for both Robbie Ray and Casey Maes and the Atlanta Braves who have a stronger farm system, you know, Cam Kaminitti, Eric Harkman, John Heal and sure, if you don't want to go away and give those guys, that's fine. There's plenty of other guys like Luke Sinnar, Lucas Broun who they ended up trading right, Diego Tornez down in the Florida Complex has so much potential hasn't panned out. Davis Polo is a guy that keeps on rising and there was plenty of prospect capital to be able to do it, but they chose not to do so. He said that there was offers made that you know, they just had to say no to because they feel like it's what's best for the team. And that's totally fine. But I do think from the France perspective, there is that case in point to make that if if guys like the Padres are reeling in for them, why weren't the Braves able to do that? And that's what was the point that it made that question and he chose to respond the way he wanted to. He's totally valid in the way that he responded to just in the same way that I'm totally valid about asking the question. But I think for spin foremost, it's not about me, it's not about him. I think it's a direction about the team, and I think the fans deserve to hear that, And that's why I went about asking that question.
Speaker 1: This is that time of year, aj it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea Geek's time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on sea Geek.
Speaker 4: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees clubs coming up. Where's Yankees Red Sox? That means stuff. Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up.
Speaker 1: Go to CKE.
Speaker 4: You can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best. Look. Green dot means very good code for you, it's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: And that's your job, and you nailed it right, because if fans are upset, and also they just want to know the real answers as to what went down, and you get some of that from the front office, you get some of that from someone like your colleague Ken Rosenthal last night put out an article on how the Braves asked about Jacob de Gram, and the way I read it was that they would have made this happen if de Gram was into it. Degram gave a pretty hard not so tell us about that. And if you think the Braves potentially put too many chips in that basket, we went from Braves might get Jacob de Gram to Braves not getting anybody else that day because Molly was what from the day before. So there's what I kept saying. The number like twelve starters, there were a number of starters that Braves fans probably would have been very happy with. You mentioned a few of them just now. I'm just curious, like what happened with de Graham and had we go from there to nothing?
Speaker 3: Well, Ken Rosenthal obviously my colleague and that apps taught me so much about the business. What reporting stands is there if he's been out so you can see it on the screen right.
Speaker 4: There, right.
Speaker 3: Alex was asked about this, right and he chose not to go into details about that because he feels like it's not appropriate to talk about deals that never happened, which is his philosophy. That's fine. I know he talked about I think the Kyle Schwarber deal, and I'm sure with who that deal that it didn't happen. That's fine, he can do that, right. But I think maybe they did have older chips lined they are ready to go too. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. I don't like to confirm information that I don't have a whole one hundred percent off and going slowly on based on Ken's reporting one hundred percent, I think there is a strong possibility, if it's what stands true, that that was going to be there, that that was going to be the move that they were making, and it just didn't happen. But I feel like in any profession you go to and anything you do in life, there has to be a plan B. And who knows, maybe Casey Misle's plan B and a J Preller at the end had that Kawhi Leonard as game the twenty nineteen playoffs shot to be able to reel them in and made the patters much better. You know, I'm not going to be a guy that's going to just fuel based on assumption outside of the reporting that Ken did. That's kind of all the information that I have right now, and I think the bottom line is this is it's great to have pri Sale, It's great to add Tyler. It's also in regards to talking also about Bruns, suitor Brent Suda adds a very important need to the team because they love to be aggressive with their bullpen, which is a great philosophy to have, but that also causes the rest of the bullpen, especially your high leverage guys, to be taxed the next day and not be available. Suitor comes in and fixes that problem right there. Lane Thomas's addition is a good right handed bat that hits lefties really well. So it's important to mention this team did get better. It did get better. Objectively speaking, it did get better. But it leads into the level that a lot of fans are satisfied with because come October, right, it's a whole different ballgame.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: We see how deep the Dodgers, and I know everybody is probably like, why does he keep bringing them the Dodgers. Well, they've went back to back World Series for a reason, regardless of the way that they have done it and all that stuff, right, But they have deep pitching, they have a deep lineup, and it's why they've been able to put themselves in that position to win and do the Atlanta prayers have that they got a little bit better, But I don't think it's to the level a lot of fans who this is a passionate fan base. It's drought all the self and drought all the United States as a TBS. They're not satisfied with it, and I think it's fair to understand the reasoning.
Speaker 4: Hey, su as Jim Jarvis is a playoff caliber shortstop.
Speaker 3: For him, it sees the every day shortstop. It seems like going forward with the way they've been playing so far. I'll tell you this, I think it's much better to have Jim Jarvis as the starting short stop going forward right now than has Song Kim given his track record of what happened this season. But it's always important to remember the type of player has On Kim was before, right and he didn't get a spring training, he had the injury. He had this stint on the injured list that gave him a full rehab assignment to be able to work on things. Who knows, maybe he comes back into that clubhouse today, he gets on the field and is the player that everyone's expected to be and he wins that position. And Tooppolos made it clear yesterday that he is not the starting shortstop. He was the starting short stop when he got signed, but because of performance that's not the case. But pointed out that he's a guy that can play second, can play third. So it seems like he's going to be for the time being in the utility role that Jorge Matteo was in before who got designated for assignment recently, I mean yesterday with the return of Kim coming back, so that's the way they're going forward. I think my bigger question. I mean, obviously, whatever way the lineup was constructed and stuff like that is up to the Braves. But it's interesting to see that Mauricio Dubon was not named the starting short stuff and it seems like he's going to continue to be in that utility role he was at the beginning of the season before he settled in the outfield and Ronald of Kuna took over.
Speaker 4: Okay, last one before we let you go. I've always wanted to ask somebody that went to Fresno State this question. Which, by the way, if you've never been to Fresno State, it might be the hottest freaking place on Earth. Which and I played at the old Fresno State Baseball Stadium when the Giants were in Fresno. It was the worst Triple A stadium in the world. And locker room was awful, the hottest plays in the world. Also, they played blackjack, where if you bust and you get lower than the dealers boss, you still win. So there's a lot of crazy things that happened in Fresno. The biggest craziest thing I want to know is behind you there is a flag and it has the bulldog on it. And it has the F on the sleeve. Why do they have a V on the collar? Is his name like Vallejo or something.
Speaker 3: And Bilt bala coo. Well, so let me explain to this. So that's actually a really good question. I've always wanted somebody to ask me this on camera. So the V was made by at coach Pat Hill, who was there for so long. He integrated the V into the collar of Victory Bulldog to represent the Central Valley right which Presno is located in the middle of the Central Valley. It's agriculture country. It infects and I know this summer for a fact, as I did a project on it in college. Feeds about sixty percent of the country based off its produce, whether it's lettuce, walnuts, whatever it is. And that's important representation to the fan base or just to the people who live there in general, because a lot of people there they work in agriculture. A lot of the students who go to Presno State are these sons of immigrants who are working in the field. It's putting in that work and chasing an education. Some of the people that attend President State, their parents are the owners of the farms that have this economic cycle of agriculture going. And it's just a way to pay homage to the to the area of Fresno in the Central Valley as a whole. And I take I'm not from Presno. I grew up in the Bay Area in California, but I take a lot of pride of being able to be part of that for two years because it's shaped me into who I am today and differently helped me see the world from a different perspective.
Speaker 4: That's awesome. Hopefully that incident that led us to Taco.
Speaker 1: Bell no recall lettuce, just regular lettuce. You know what's funny? He said that.
Speaker 4: I swear that was the first thing I popped in my head.
Speaker 1: In our lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So everyone was talking about salad and then I said, you know, a good butter lettuce and en dive makes me feel alive. And then everyone's going like back and forth about lettuce, and then he brought that out.
Speaker 4: Weird anyway, All right, well that explains it. So now I know, thank you first playing that. And by the way, Fresno's the hot Okay, well, why don't they play blackjack to twenty two? And if you bust it's called California Blackjacks. If you get twenty four and the dealer gets twenty six, you still win.
Speaker 1: Save that answer for you.
Speaker 4: It's like the ragious and then you play against the people at the table. It was one of the worst things.
Speaker 3: I'll talk to some sources and see what I can dig.
Speaker 1: Up exactly next time you're on. You were great. Thank you, Hazus, great to talk to you. Appreciate the time. We'll catch us soon. Okay, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: You guys appreciate it.
Speaker 1: And of course Jesus has been on this show Hammer Territory. I listened to the full hour late last night. Brad and Scott were bringing it, educating us on what's going on in Atlanta, also on how much money they saved with the profile deal, and obviously they didn't end up really spending a lot of that. So if you want to check it out, if you're an angry Braves fan they don't win the World Series, they're gonna hear it for not having that other starter fear back