Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 1: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: Karen, we'll get back to the markets in a moment, but we begin with breaking news in the Middle East. Israel says it has eliminated the head of Hamas's military wing. In a post on x, the Israeli military says it has confirmed Hamas's second in command, Mohammed daff was killed in a strike in Gaza on July thirteenth. Bloomberg Middle East anchored Jumana Bursecci has the latest from Dubai.
Speaker 3: From Israel's perspective, it is a major diplomatic coup for the Israeli Prime Minister Natanie who because they have said from the very beginning that they wanted to exact revenge on the perpetrators of October seven and on Hamas, and so from their perspective, this actually works towards the goal of eliminating and neutralizing Hamas's military capabilities.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Middle East ankardjuam Mona Bersaci says this latest killing leave ceasefire talks with Hamas even more uncertain.
Speaker 1: Nathan, this latest development out of Israel follows the two air strikes this week that killed Hamas's political leader Ishmael Hania and Tehran and senior Hezbola commander Fuad Shuker in Beirut. Israel is not confirmed it was behind Honia's death, but The New York Times reports around Supreme Leader has ordered a direct attack on Israel. In response, Secretary of State Anthony Blenkin is urging all sides to de escalate.
Speaker 4: It all starts with the ceasefire and to get there, it also first requires all parties to talk to stop taking any escalatory actions.
Speaker 1: Despite that determination from Secretary of State Blank and sources, Tol Bloomberg Knews that the Biden administration and knows getting to a ceasefire is harder than ever. After Ishmael Hania's death.
Speaker 2: Trained to politics back home, Karen. Former President Donald Trump was in Chicago for the National Association of Black Journalists conference and he questioned Vice President Kamala Harris's racial identity. We get more from Bloomberg Zamy Morris. In Washington, the.
Speaker 5: Former president got booed and some laughs when he said during a roundtable discussion that he questions Vice President Kamala Harris's racial identity.
Speaker 6: She was always of Indian heritage, and she was only promoting Indian heritage. I didn't know she was black until a number of years ago when she happened to turn black, and now she wants to be.
Speaker 2: Known as black.
Speaker 5: Trump also defended old comments from his running mate, Senator jd Vance that disparaged women without children as quote childless cat ladies, saying it was meant in a friendly manner. The National Association of Black Journalists says they're also in talks to have Vice President Harris virtually address their convention. Amy Morris Bloomberg Radio, all.
Speaker 1: Right by me, thank you. As Vice President Kamala Harris gets closer to picking a running maid, her team has met with Pennsylvania Governor John Shapiro. Bloomberg's Ed Baxter has that story.
Speaker 7: They have said all along he's on the shortlist, which now includes Shapiro, Senator Mark Kelly, and Minnesota Governor Tim Walls, and say that it was just part of the selection process and not to read anything into it. Sources as well say several unions have made their concerns known about Kelly. One, the Transport Workers Union, said he is not pro trade union enough. In fairness, other unions have supported him. Harris did pick up the endorsement of the United Auto Workers, influential in Michigan. She plans to campaign with her pick next week. Ad Baxter Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay and thanks. Let's turn back to markets now, the barrage of earnings around the world. We'll start with Meta Platforms. Those shares are up six and a half percent in early trading. The Facebook owner reported better than expected sales in the second quarter. Investments in artificial intelligence are helping meticell more targeted and personalized advertisements. Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg talked about AI on the conference call.
Speaker 8: They're all the jokes about how all the tech CEOs get on these earnings calls and just talk about AI the whole time, because it's actually super exciting and it's going to change all these different things over multiple time.
Speaker 2: Horizon, Mark Zuckerberg's Meta Platforms reported sales of thirty nine point one billion dollars that topped estimates by eight hundred million.
Speaker 1: Well, Nathan. While Zuckerberg's personal wealth will rise if those gains and Meta shares hold, it may pale to the day in Vidia CEO Jensen Wong had shares of Nvidia search thirteen percent yesterday. I may get more from Bloomberg's Doug Prisner.
Speaker 9: The rally was linked to an upbeat forecast from competitor Advanced micro Devices. AMD's outlook pointed to improved demand for its AI accelerator, a market dominated by Nvidia. On Wednesday, Nvidia added a record three hundred and twenty nine billion dollars in value, and Wong's net worth was boosted by nearly twelve billion. He is now the world's fourteenth richest person, with a net worth of nearly one hundred and three billion dollars. He has been steadily capitalizing on Invidia's outperformance this year. He sold shares worth nearly one hundred and sixty nine million dollars in June, the most he's netted in a single month in New York. I'm Doug Prisner, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, Doug, thanks and high tech will remain and focus this afternoon when Apple and Amazon report earnings. But let's check some key results overseas. This morning, shares of Shell are up one point two percent. The oil giant posted second quarter earnings above analyst estimates and confirmed another three and a half billion dollars share buy back shares of Barclays.
Speaker 1: We're higher earlier, now they're lower. In London, the British lender reported better than expected income in the second quarter, aided by a surge and revenue from some of its Wall Street operations. Barclays will also repurchase as much as nine hundred and sixty three million dollars in shares now.
Speaker 2: We turned to the US Economy Karen in more hints from the FED that it could pull off a rate cut at its next meeting. J Powell kept rates unchanged yesterday, but the FED share signaled officials are on course to cut in September unless inflation progress stalls.
Speaker 10: The question will be whether the totality of the data the evolving outlook in the balance of risks, or consider with rising confidence on inflation and maintaining a solid labor market. If that test is met, a reduction in our policy rate could be on the table as soon as the next meeting in September.
Speaker 2: Following FED shared Jpal's comments, interest rate swaps showed traders fully pricing in a quarter point cut in September and a total of almost seventy basis points in reductions for the year.
Speaker 5: On Nathan rates.
Speaker 1: Also in focus overseas, the Bank of England makes a policy decision later this morning, and economists say there could be the first rate cut since the start of the pandemic. Investors are placing a sixty four percent chance on a quarter point cut, taking a key lending rate from a five and a quarter percent to five percent.
Speaker 2: And back on Wall Street caring it as a blow for Bill Ackman. In just a matter of weeks, the Pershing Square founders planned to steer a new investment fund onto the New York Stock Exchange has collapsed. Acman bet his wide following on X could raise twenty five million dollars for Pershing in an initial public offering. That would have been an unprecedented feat for a closed end fund in the US. Acman later cut that target to four billion dollars than two billion. By yesterday, Pershing Square withdrew the IPO completely.
Speaker 1: It's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. For that, we're joined by A Bloomberg's John Tucker.
Speaker 11: John, Good Morning, Good morning, Karen. The man accused of being the main plotter in al Qaeda's nine to eleven attacks, has agreed to plead guilty. That's according to the Defense Department. Kaleide Shaik Mohammad and two accomplices in the attack are expected to enter the police at the Military Commission at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to avoid the death penalty. The US agreement with him and comes more than twenty years after militants flew commandeered commercial airliners into buildings, killing nearly three thousand people. Some family members of nine to eleven victims say that's not justice. Andrew Ensborough, as president of the Uniform Firefighters Association.
Speaker 12: They're allowing these three terrorists and mass murderers to continue to live well. On average, three New York City firefighters a time every month.
Speaker 11: More than three hundred and forty members the EMPTNY died in the attack on the World Trade Center. The US says the world should acknowledge that Venezuela is opposition one last weekend's election against President Nicholas Maduro. Brian Nichols, the top US diplomat for Western Hemisphere affairs, spoke at a meeting of the Organization of American States in Washington with.
Speaker 2: The irrefutable evidence based on the act.
Speaker 7: As everyone can see, it is clear that in Mundel Gonzalez Orutia defeated Nicholas Maduro by millions of votes.
Speaker 11: Meanwhile, Maduro doubled down on his claims of victory, saying his opponent should be jailed for decades. American Cancer Society says cancer rates are opt for Gen ax and millennials. According to the research published in the journal Lancet. They have a two to four times higher rate of specific cancers like pancreatic or kidney. The good news is the number of lung cancer and cervical cancer deaths are on the decline. Forty five percent of American adults say they've been billed in the past year for medical care they thought was covered by insurance. According to a report from the Commonwealth, thought at least many footing the bill for insurance company errors. Sarah Collins, one of the authors of the report from the Independent Health Research Foundation.
Speaker 1: When we asked him why they hadn't challenged, more than half sin it was because they weren't aware that they had the right to do so.
Speaker 11: Collins says more than a third of those who challenged their medical bills got their balances reduced or eliminated. Global news twenty four hours a day, whenever you want to it with Bloomberg News. Now, I'm John Tucker and this is Bloomberg Nathan and Karen.
Speaker 1: Sorry, John, thank you. Time now for the Bloombergy Sports Update with John Stashauer.
Speaker 13: John, good morning, Good morning, karens for the rough season for dj Lemayeu, the Yankees veteran infielder has struggled with the plate. They've seen his playing time strength. But the latest Yankee wins six ' five in Philadelphia all about le mayew a grand slam in the second, in the two run double in the sixth, the career eye six RBIs the Meyu drove in all six Here's Aaron Boone.
Speaker 14: Really excited for him. You know, obviously, guys respect No, No, he's grind and no, he's going through it. And you know, obviously hasn't got a lot of opportunities lately, and it was clearly the difference.
Speaker 13: Today Yanks five straight wins start a nine game homestand tomorrow is the Mets began a ten game road trip. They lost in City Field to the Twins eight to three. Red Sox pulled out a three to two ten in in win over Seattle. Nationals lost five four got swept at Arizona. Red Hot Padres made it nine of the last ten. They were roughed up Clayton Kershawby to Dodgers eight to one. Kansas City sent the White Sox to a seventeenth loss in a row. At the Olympics. Today, sim Owned Biles, we'll seek individual gold. US women's basketball team takes on Belgium. Tennis has American Tommy Paul trying to upset Carlos Alcarez in the quarterfinals. In the pool, yesterday, Katie the deck He won her eighth career gold medal, winning easily in her specialty. The fifteen hundred meters twelve career medals ties the US record. But the big story in swimming the French oh Marshawn. He already won a goal in the im he won the two hundred meters, Butterfly came back two hours later to capture the two hundred breaststroke. US hoops team at one O three to eighty six route of South Sudan. John Stashedwer Bloomberg Sports Kenna.
Speaker 4: Nathan Coast to Coast on Bloomberg Radio nationwide on Syrias XM and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: We are watching for the prospect of further tensions in the Middle East, with Israel now saying it has confirmed the death of Hamas's military chief Mohammed daf in a strike in Gaza that follows the strike this week that killed Hamas's political leader Ismail Hania in Tehran. Joining us from Tel Aviv once again this morning is Bloomberg News Israel Bureau chief Ethan Bronner. Ethan, good morning. What is the Israeli military saying specifically about the military commander's death?
Speaker 12: Hi, Nathan, So this is a hit that occurred actually more than two weeks ago, and at that time Israeli said they were pretty sure they got him. Hamas denied it. They said, he's fine. He's laughing as he listens to Prime Minister Nutaya, who claims to have killed him. Today simply based on their ability to do some kind of intelligence assessment to the Israeli military, As officially announced that diff was eliminated on the thirteenth. I think it was in July, so it's sort of coming on top of this other news, but it's not actually new. It's from two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: But still for two Israel to make that confirmation, I would think is a pretty significant development when you think about where the leadership structure stands with Hamas now the military chief, the second in command eliminated, the political chief, the top leader of Humas eliminated. Does this bring Israel closer to its goal of eliminating Hamas as an organization.
Speaker 12: I think it does, But I mean, I think this is the eternal question about these guerrilla organizations and about the policy of targeted assassinations and so on this. You know, there's a kind of eternal battle of theories that you just create more terrorists when you go after them in this way, or no, yes we can kill them, we can eliminate it. And it's very difficult for me to know where we're headed. There's no question that progress has been made and a lot of progress in dissembling the military structure of Hamas.
Speaker 13: You know, another.
Speaker 12: Argument that is being booted here is that this all of this action is a prelude to there being a ceasefire deal and Ntania who needs all of this kind of a chest beating in order to persuade the nation that it's okay to go ahead with the deal, to get some hostages out and to create a ceasefire. I notice if that's true. What I do know is that in the coming days we're going to get hit in this country from some combination of his belah Iran and the Hutis. It's almost inevitable.
Speaker 2: And with all that in the background, Ethan, we're continuing to hear this determination from the US side. A Secretary of State Blincoln on ceasefire talks progressing, tensions de escalating. I mean, what is the prospect for ceasefire talks when we have this disarray in Hamas leadership? I mean, who's going to be in the talks at this point?
Speaker 12: Well, to be fair, it has always been only one negotiator who mattered and me's Uas and war who's the overall leader of Hamas, who's in a tunnel somewhere under Gaza. It's a complicated process to negotiate because the messages and the communication have to go back and forth by hand. They don't do it electronically. There so I mean, to be honest, Honey played a role the man who was killed in Tehran yesterday, but he was essentrally doing the bidding of Sinoar. So someone else will do the bidding of Sinoar. That doesn't strike me as the problem. The problem is that I think that they're going to pull back from these talks, at least for a little while, in anger and humiliation for what has just happened, the killing of any in Tehran with a precision guided missile of some kind. So that's likely. But you know, what the US is doing is going around talking to everyone and saying, let's keep the waters calm, let's not let this devolve into a major regional war. And possibly what will happen is what happened in mid April after Israel killed Iranian generals in Damascus, and there was a specific attack by Iran on the Israeli territory. But it looked, and I don't want to go too far in this direction, that it had been kind of signaled all around that the it was relatively clear what was coming when, so that it could be it could make a symbolic gesture, but not great a war, and maybe that's what we'll see again. I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 2: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, SERIUSXM, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 5: And I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 1: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak