Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles.
Speaker 2: Hold ahead.
Speaker 1: He got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert Mary's.
Speaker 4: Gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo.
Speaker 2: He came flying into the backfield.
Speaker 3: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in bal Vista see Key your Ticket to Great Seats, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast visit Azycardinals dot Com, Slash Podcast A.
Speaker 2: Red Seeds Rising Up.
Speaker 3: Timber Rising Vision, Blurry Rage, Tack It Ober, here's Paul Calvici.
Speaker 5: I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you I'm ready.
Speaker 2: And Ron Woopley. It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 5: Kurt Warner isn't just a Cardinals Ring of Honor player, not just a team record setting quarterback. As if that's not enough, Kurt Warner stands as his own chapter in team history. Again, we're not talking about the record books here, because Kurt set plenty of those. We're talking about if the book was a Cardinals Big Red Dictionary, and you looked up the word culture, there'd be a picture of Kurt Warner, Paul Calvic here, Ron Wolfley there, and wolf You were there every game of Kurt Warner's career. A very special Cardinals Folkdales edition of The Big Red Rage, presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert. What's that old saying? Be the change you want to see? Kurt Warner was basically that as a player upon his arrival in Arizona, Old Graybeard.
Speaker 1: Poly of course everyone. That's what everyone thought he was when he showed up here from the New York Giants, and the Giants whatever they did to him, I have no idea. Kurt has talked about it from time to time, but the Giants tried to put him in a much more traditional type offense, I think than what he was known for, that being the greatest show on turf, and man he came here and I'll never forget the buzz of Old gray Beard, Kurt Warner being an Arizona Cardinal and then to see where he took it. You want to talk about a renaissance, Paully, his career was big time renaissance.
Speaker 5: It just took a while to figure it out as well. You know, we'll hear from Denny Green with some all time colorful sound bites can Wizna reflecting on the greatness of Kurt Warner. But eventually when it hit, it took off. There's no doubt about it. And it's interesting because not long after his retirement he did an interview with Dick Vermal on stage, his old Saint Louis Rams coach. Yeah, and he actually looked at Dick Vermeal and he said, you know what, in hindsight, I consider my Cardinal's success more ratifying and rewarding than my Rams career, even though I want to ring was Saint Louis, just based on the amount of change that he was responsible for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paul, you stop and think about it. I mean, Kurt Warner came in here and he was the fire. He was the fire, the spark that hit the wood. The fuel that was here metaphorically speaking, when you think about it, was a Kwan Bolden, It was Larry Fitzgerald that was here. It was Carlos Dansby, Darnell Docketed, Kerr Trin, Barry Paul, these guys that were great pros, that fuel that was here, and Kirk came in here, and he was like the spark that ignited that fire. Just watching him go about his business too, in the professionalism that he brought, the poise that he brought to that position. It was like when he stepped into the huddle, he looked at his teammates and said, I got this.
Speaker 5: And he brought that accountability which is always a core part of culture. I can't tell you how many times as the sideline reporter, especially if you're a young receiver and you messed it up, you would hear from Kurt Warner before he even got off the field. How many times did he have a shouting match with Todd Haley on the sidelinine over what was going on with the game plan or what Kurt was it was not seen, and they'd scream at each other for ten seconds, and then ten seconds later they'd be looking over each other's shoulder at some film clips or some pictures like their BFFs all over again.
Speaker 1: You had a great relationship. I remember you specifically talking about that BALLI being on the sideline and seeing that unfold. Iron sharpens iron, right, and those two guys sharpened each other. There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 5: Here's one of my favorite anecdotes Super Bowl Sunday, super Bowl forty three. You were on this bus. Well, we got out of the team hotel, we got on the bus and you remember us media guys get in the back and the tension on that bus. You needed a chainsaw to cut through it. Yeah, the nerves, guys were so nervous. You wondered if it was gonna be debilitating. You could hear a guy swallow five rows away and the last out of board, no joke, Kurt Warner, and he got on that bus without a care in the world. And he's fist bumping the bus driver and he's dapping guys up and he's having Nobody had said a word, and Kurt Warner was a chatterbox and he's just and everyone in the bus realized simultaneously, Oh, yeah, we have a quarterback who's been here and done this twice. We have a Super Bowl MVP quarterback. He's going to lead us. And how often I think he was the catalyst of change without even knowing it. Yeah, because all eyes were on him at all times.
Speaker 1: Paully, you have no idea what kind of impact that truly can have on a football team. I've talked about him many times. When a legend like Kurt Warner, when he steps into the huddle and he calls the play, every head snaps up. It's the respect, the inherent respect that Kurt Warner had that really added to all the goodness that he brought here.
Speaker 5: And so when we come back, we're gonna hear for ourselves. Kurt Warner renaissance man. On this very special Cardinals Folktales edition of The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert, Welcome back into our special Cardinals Folktales edition of The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. I'm Paul Calvic and his current Warner has always liked to say no one had ever gone from Aisle seven to the Hall of Fame, meaning there wasn't a precedent, there wasn't some roadmap that he could follow for a football player to go from stocking the shelves at an Iowa grocery store to having your bust on display in Candon, Ohio. It's why Kurt's life story literally became a movie script. American Underdog by the Way, great watch as the Saint also goes. Some players take the elevator to the top and some take the stairs. Kurt's path involved a few hard right turns, construction detours to the Arena League, and overseas through NFL Europe. Kurt knew he could play, but could he convince the NFL decision makers? And then out of nowhere, it happened in Saint Louis with the Rams, two time NFL MVP, Super Bowl MVP, and then in Arizona. But for everything fans saw of Kurt Warner out on that field and up on that screen, it was Kurt behind the scenes who was just as impressive and impactful. In Cardinal's folktales, we dive into the archives, So let's hit the rewind button on the renaissance man, Kurt Warner. When the Red Sea witnessed see change in their football fortunes.
Speaker 6: Very few quarterbacks are able to go from place to place to place and to have winning and to have culture change follow them.
Speaker 4: Kurt Warner brings the Cardinals back from the dead.
Speaker 7: I mean he changed the team mentality inside out.
Speaker 6: I don't think there was any doubt in six of what I could do. The doubt was whether I would get the opportunity to do it.
Speaker 8: In Arizona Cardinals select Matt Lioner quarterback.
Speaker 4: Ussam, you have a quarterback controversy. Who's your starter next week against Kansas City?
Speaker 9: What do you know about the quarterback situation going forward?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 10: Oh, I don't know anything. I'm just going to be ready to play whenever I can.
Speaker 11: Matt a start next week.
Speaker 2: Matt Stunt.
Speaker 6: I was never afraid of competition, but I was always afraid of unfair competition.
Speaker 4: We have a quarterback change.
Speaker 12: We kind of honed in on what he did well, what we did well, and we became a lot better.
Speaker 6: As the locker room knows, and oftentimes it's the locker room that dictates things more than even the organization of the coaching staff.
Speaker 5: Kurt Warner was the change. Kurt Warner was the culture. What Kurt in the locker room knew the rest of the world would soon find out.
Speaker 6: This is kind of how it's always been for me, kind of since there's still a gas in the tank.
Speaker 4: Kurt Warner looks like the man that won two MVPs. In a Super Bowl MVP when he was in Saint Louis.
Speaker 7: Kurt ended up taking over and he saw the magnificence.
Speaker 1: He's still got that MVP form.
Speaker 12: It really kind of got your attention. Wow, this guy still got some juice.
Speaker 6: Could I do enough in a short period of time to convince people if we just ride this out, we've got a chance.
Speaker 1: Old gray Beard showing that his beard isn't quite as gray as most people think.
Speaker 5: And think differently is what Kurt Warner forced people to do. He changed minds both about his own career and the state of the franchises he played for. Welcome in to Cardinals Folk Tales Renaissance Man presented by seventy two sold where we go in depth into Cardinals history, all time anecdotes through the recollections and memories of those who lived it or, in my case, those who covered it. My name is Paul Calvic, Cardinals sideline reporter. Kurt Warner was done more than once until he wasn't until he earned one more chance and delivered. He did.
Speaker 6: There is nothing greater in team sports than being able to be a catalyst for change.
Speaker 13: We're nobody else believed in us. We're nobody else believed in me. You guys did, and we're going to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Give him that gold jacket they get when they go to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: I hope to have another chapter here that can weigh evenly with what I did in Saint Louis. And that's really the objective and why I came here, had to do all about the Arizona Cardinals and what they're trying to do here.
Speaker 5: In March of two thousand and five, the only one who truly believed Kurt Warner would come anywhere close to his Saint Louis Rams glory was Kurt himself. He inked a one year, four million dollar deal at age thirty three, his third team in three years. Kurt was fresh off losing his job in New York to rookie Eli Manning. In fact, his last game as a starter was against the Cardinals, where Kurt was sacked. How many times at Sun Devil Stadium.
Speaker 4: It comes Uplitz and Warner is sacked against by Berry. Four sacks for bertrand Berry six for the Cardinals today.
Speaker 5: Well help, if you can't beat them, join them. Kurt played in ten games in two thousand and five. The Cardinals went to and eight in those games. During a five and eleven season, Kurt throwing for eleven touchdowns nine picks before his season was cut short by injury. Former Cardinals head coach Dennis green.
Speaker 11: Well, he got MCL ligament early in the game. That's the type injury that's four to six weeks, maybe without an operation, or sometimes it has to be operated on also, so he'll basically be out for the rest of the season.
Speaker 5: Before the knee injury, though, there were moments where Kurt was surgical, especially when throwing to his two Pro Bowl wide receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Ankwan Bolden back to.
Speaker 4: Throw one or a screen to Bolton over the middle, cut of the ten Bolton of the five breaks at tackle, the.
Speaker 2: Two head Bolden's in touchsdown.
Speaker 4: Going out with a five step drop lobs over the middle. Fitzgerald leabs got it touchdown. Cardinals.
Speaker 5: Both fitz and Ankwan had one hundred plus catches and over fourteen hundred yards receiving a piece, so Kurt's expectations were high for the two thousand and six season until April rolled around.
Speaker 8: With the tenth choice in the two thousand and six NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select Matt Lioner quarterback Russam.
Speaker 6: When we drafted Matt. That was the first thing that went through my mind, is like, is this it for me? You know, we'll even get a chance to compete moving forward. And if I don't compete here, you know, what are the chances that, you know, somebody else picks me up and I get another opportunity.
Speaker 5: Kurt got his chance, his opportunity to stay the starter. Week one, two thousand and six was game one in the history of State Farm Stadium, and Kurt played so well he was named NFC Offensive Player of the Week. Alas it did not last Week two in Seattle, sacked five times plus four Kurt fumbles, even though he didn't lose any. Then back home Week three against Saint Louis, Kurt was picked three times.
Speaker 4: Warner takes back to throw, has time, fires over the middle, tipped and it is going to be intercepted at the five yard line by a Toadway sends it over the middle and it is going to be picked off at the forty five yard line. Great diving interception. Warner in the pocket, fires over the middle, picked off, intercepted in the end zone by the Rams dexter Coakley. He takes a knee and the Ram we'll have the football at their twenty yard line.
Speaker 5: Third pick of the day by Kurt Warner. A nightmare game that just kept getting worse.
Speaker 4: Warner under center, and.
Speaker 2: He fumbled the ball.
Speaker 4: They fumbled the snap, and the Rams have it at the seventeen. Will Witherspoon comes up with it for Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: Do you believe that?
Speaker 1: Boy? This is one of those games where it's gonna leave a mark.
Speaker 5: A faithful fumble that looked bad and sounded worse when Kurt heard it from the Red Sea.
Speaker 6: I got boot out of the stadium.
Speaker 9: Kurt Warner the final fumble there, What did you see from where you were at?
Speaker 11: Just bumbled it quarterback in the center. We're not together, you know, and it's hard to say why. We had a couple of miscues in warm up, which you know, sent me off my rocker to a certain extent, and I yelled at the guys a little bit.
Speaker 1: I remember that play and it was the left guard pulling that actually knocked the ball out of Kurt Warner's hands. Kurt Warner never told anybody about and everyone was asking in the media, why why did you say anything about that? And Kurt said, remember it's always the quarterback's fault.
Speaker 5: That's Cardinal's longtime radio analyst Ron Wolfoy, and quarterbacks know there's truth to that old saying that QB's get too much credit and too much blame. And in my postgame interview with the head coach, it was about to be the latter. Is there anything in particular going on you think with Kurt?
Speaker 11: I don't know. I mean, I hope not. I mean I think that we've just got out and played. Here's some things that took place that were very well and some things that didn't. So obviously we're not all on the same page.
Speaker 5: Foreshadowing because by the next game at Atlanta, Denny Green was ready to turn the page.
Speaker 4: Warner takes the snap, seven steps straight, drop pressure coming, Warner rolling right. Sack of the ball's lost happened twenty five and in Lanta recovers it with twenty one, Michael Bowley stripped it and Rod Pullman recovers it. Another pump by Kurt Warner is ten in the last three games and Atlanta tanks over.
Speaker 5: The ball came out and so did Warner. Q the Heisman Trophy winner the.
Speaker 4: Matt Lionert era about to begin, Linert ready to take his first NFL snap.
Speaker 5: Cardinals still lose thirty two to ten, as Liner didn't fare much better than Warner bought.
Speaker 4: Let there be a QB question. You have a quarterback controversy. Who's your starter next week against Kansas City.
Speaker 5: Well, in the postgame locker room, we asked Liner live on air.
Speaker 9: What do you know about the quarterback situation going forward?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 10: Oh, I don't know anything. I'm just going to be ready to play whenever I.
Speaker 11: Came Matt a start next week? Match done?
Speaker 5: You heard that right? The head coach bum rushed our interview just outside his office in the Georgia Dome, grabbed the mic and name Matt the starter on live radio.
Speaker 6: You know as much and as disappointing as that kind of scenario is. At the same time, you say to yourself, but I signed up be a part of the Arizona Cardinals, and my job is not to just be a good teammates and to help this team win. If I'm starting, my job is to do whatever I can as a teammate and an Arizona Cardinal to help this team win, no matter what my role is.
Speaker 5: And Warner, the mentor was all too familiar with that role.
Speaker 6: You know, I'd been there before, you know, Mark Roger in Saint Louis, Eli Manning in New York, now, Matt Leonard in Arizona. I knew how to do that. As hard as it was, that became my role.
Speaker 11: I think he's done a good job, as well as you can do. I mean, I think that there are a few veterans Kurt, you know, Bled so, a few other guys that have been around league a long time have been major contributors to the National Football League, and we're, you know, put in a situation where they became backups. And Kurt's got a great attitude. He's a tremendous guy, and I thought he handled it well.
Speaker 5: So even in the face of NonStop change throughout two thousand and six, from losing fumbles to lose in his starting job, Kurt never lost his signature of faith.
Speaker 6: Always in the back of my mind, I never lost hope that I still believe I will be the best quarterback here. I don't know what that means, but every time, you know, throughout my career, the cream will always rise to the top.
Speaker 1: The best player will.
Speaker 6: Show himself at some point and it will be hard to deny that person an opportunity to see what they can do. And that's how I always, you know, went through my entire career.
Speaker 5: And Kurt's career was about to get yet another reboot. All that changed last off season, Well more change was coming in two thousand and seven in more ways than one, and whether it was a new start or a late start, because remember Kurt Warner didn't get his first NFL start until age twenty eight. Kurt handled change in the NFL like he excelled against a blitzing NFL defense, was at his best when it was time to read and react. So in two thousand and seven, with a new coach, a new offense, a new attitude, and overall a new culture straight ahead, this was nothing new for Kurt. Heck, in some ways, change itself was Warner's competitive advantage, and the more eyes on Kurt, the more he seemed to separate himself. Because make no mistake, Kurt was a quarterback who'd been there, done that at the highest level, and now it was a Cardinals team that needed exactly that that role model, a team that had talent but needed direction, cohesion, not necessarily a cheat code, but someone to hit the reset button and what ensued the shock the world Cardinals, or perhaps the only person that did not shock was the guy under center, who was at the center of it all. So when we come back, how would Kurt cope with another first round pick in his career path and how the end of one season would lead to the postseason. You're listening to a special Cardinals Folktales edition of The Big Red Rage Kurt Warner Renaissance Man, presented by santan Ford and Gilbert, and we hope you're enjoying this special Cardinals Folktales edition of The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. I'm Paul calvic Our title Kurt Warner, Renaissance Man. Went the Hall of Fame quarterback not only resuscitated his own career, but led a revival of the Cardinals. Of course, it wasn't easy. Couldn't be easy. Like Kurt's career itself, there was always a degree of difficulty, whether it was injury or age, or a first round quarterback to compete against, or a new coach to convince. And make no mistake, Kurt had to battle all of the above. Going into two thousand and seven. But remember back in nineteen ninety nine, years after Kurt and cut by the Packers after the Rams would then sign him as a fourth quarterback to compete for the third quarterback spot. Kurt would start the season opener after a devastating preseason injury just starter Tran Green, and Kurt would become the first player in NFL history to throw three touchdown passes in each of his first three starts, got in a four win team to a thirteen and three record and the Super Bowl title. Kurt Warner, the former camp arm was NFL MVP, but that was three teams ago and five years removed from Kurt's last Pro Bowl. So as we rejoined Cardinals folktales, it's the off season after the firing of Cardinals head coach Dennis Green. The new Cardinals coach in town entering seven put the no into no nonsense on behalf of the Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 4: I want to introduce our new head football of coach Ken wizen Hunt.
Speaker 12: Young quarterbacks that have a bright future like he does are hard to find. You know, they don't grow on trees, so that's an exciting part of this organization.
Speaker 5: Certainly, meet the new boss same as the old boss, not exactly. New head coach Ken wizon On, a Super Bowl winning offensive coordinator from the Steelers, where he played a big part in developing Big Ben young Ben Roethlisberger. Akin to the Cardinals drafting Matt Liner.
Speaker 12: You've got a high pick in the first round at a quarterback, and that's always something that has great value to a team. But I think one of the things that you always have to be prepared for is who's your backup, and having a veteran backup, a guy with the experience of Kurt Warner, it was something that I felt was a good thing that would be a good environment for a young quarterback to learn and grow.
Speaker 6: I thought Matt actually played really well his rookie year. Even though we didn't win any games, he played some really good football, so you know he was playing well, but there was just something missing. I felt I was that something missing, that I had something different that I could lend to this team to help us get over the top. It was just a matter of whether I was going to have the opportunity to show that Kurt would have.
Speaker 5: That opportunity eventually, Matt Leinert started the two thousand and seven season opener a three point loss at San Francisco. Week two at home against Seattle, a three point win where Liner threw for nearly three hundred yards, Which takes us to week three when midway through the second.
Speaker 4: Quarter we have a quarterback change. Well confirm whether this is injury or lated or not. But Matt Lioner's got his helmet on and he's applauding as Kurt Warner runs onto the field. Your thoughts on this decision?
Speaker 12: Wolf, Wow, we started running some no huddle offense and we kind of let Kurt take the reins with that just because he had more experience. Matt did it, but you know, obviously checks at the line, communication with players, you know, those were things that you just didn't want to put on Matt's play.
Speaker 6: You know, if there's anything that I do, well, let's drop back and throw the football and be able to, you know, kind of run the show at the line of scrimmage. And so they were giving me an opportunity to show everybody what I was capable of, even if it was for two minutes here or three minutes there, or the end of the half or whatever that was. I was going in to do what I did.
Speaker 4: Warner back to throwing his pass over the middle Cort boldon forty yard line, forty five midfield and finally wrapped up of the forty five in Baltimore Territory.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, welcome to the ball game. Kurt Warner lit up like Jojo the circus boy, and yet stands there and throws the ball on time.
Speaker 5: That was Kurt's very first play, thirty seven yards day in kwon Bolden. Kurt was cooking, but there was still confusion as to why there were two chefs in the kitchen until we got the scoop down on the sideline. Let's end some speculation because coach Ken wizen On telling the sideline reporters at halftime that the appearance of Kurt Warner was part of a package. As he called it, those are his words. He said. It'd be similar to as if you would bring in two tight ends. He likened it to a two tight end set. It was by design and it was planned, according to head coach Ken Wizna. In the third quarter, Liner played almost one hundred percent of the snaps, bought down twenty three to six. To start the fourth, Warner checked in and clicked in to MVP mode.
Speaker 4: Warner takes the snap, drops the throw, pumps, fires over the middle, touchdown and kwam Boulden and the Cardinals had their first TV of the game.
Speaker 1: That was a great job by Kurt Warner of looking off the receiver.
Speaker 4: And credit the Cardinals coaching staffer sticking with right now the guy that gives him the best chance to move the ball to Kurt Warner.
Speaker 12: Kurt did really well with that. You know, he was a naturally, he had the experience, so it really kind of got your attention. Wow, this guy still got some juice, you know, and he can help.
Speaker 4: Us the temple. You can tell even though they're going no huddle is better. Even Warner on his drops quicker dropping back throw in liner was shotgun snapped to Warner, three step drough looking firing over the middle, boldon there cought.
Speaker 2: Ten five folded down.
Speaker 4: It's a touchdown for a quand folden and here come the Cardinals and Kurt Warner.
Speaker 1: Oh, that was a big time throw by Warner.
Speaker 4: Kurt Warner brings the Cardinals back from the dead within three of Baltimore. Kurt Warner on the last two drives seven for seven, two touchdowns, both to number eighty one.
Speaker 1: Kurt Warner is a six to sixth man. Right now, he is in the zone.
Speaker 4: Kurt Warner is balling.
Speaker 6: The positive for me was I got to play in the two minute offense. Like when I went in it was the no huddle offense, and I got to run the show. And so you know, not only you know, was it probably a little bit unfair to Matt, but it allowed me to go, Okay, I get to show you me at my best.
Speaker 5: Cardinals didn't get the win, ultimately falling in Baltimore by a fuel goal, but did they find the winning formula.
Speaker 1: Anytime you're working two quarterbacks into this situation, you know a change is coming.
Speaker 5: That next week, Warner and Lionerd split time in a win against Pittsburgh. Next stop Saint Louis. Mid second quarter, Kurt leads a touchdown drive the next possession, though would be Linerd's last in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 4: Play fake Lionar did trouble Lionard sack back at the five yard line. They got drilled by Will Witherspoon, who came out of delayed blitz and Lionard banged up. He's gonna have to leave the game. Lioner calling to the sideline for Kurt Horner, and Horner's gonna find his helmet. Now he comes running out of the field with a play clock already at twenty five seconds. They're working on Linerd's left shoulder.
Speaker 1: You know the way Matt Lioner came down on that shoulder two, which is his throwing shoulder. He came down on that thing hard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right away he went and grabbed the shoulder as soon as he was slammed down.
Speaker 1: Boy, you don't like to see that right there.
Speaker 5: Guys, the headline's going to read Kurt Warner back in Saint Louis. Looks like the rest of this game, maybe the rest of the foreseeable future. Left collarbone injury on Matt liner is the official word return doubtful.
Speaker 12: We missed a pick up on a pressure against the Rams, I think it was, and knocked Matt out. When that happened, it was, you know, obviously a setback for Matt, but we felt, well, now we're going to see about Kurt just in being able to run the offense. Which you know, that's the reason that you feel comfortable about having a guy like that is because of his experience. So when that happened, we were disappointed for Matt, but you know, obviously we felt good about Kurt.
Speaker 6: I know as well as anybody. I got my opportunity because somebody got injured, and you never wish that upon anybody. But obviously, you know, going too Saint Louis and Matt suffering the separated shoulder, was that opportunity for me to get back in there and kind of run the show again.
Speaker 5: Of course, it wasn't without its challenges, like the very next week against Carolina and Pro Bowl pass rusher Julius Peppers.
Speaker 4: Back to throat goes Warner, pressure and fubble the ball. Pepper sacked him and the balls loose and Peppers has it at the thirty seventy yard line and Peppers fell on Warner's left arm, and Warner shaking his elbow as he came off.
Speaker 12: You know, he was convinced that he could still play, and that's the reason he's in the Hall of Fame because of that mentality. He believed in himself and you know, he certainly backed it up.
Speaker 5: Just talked to the Cardinals coaches.
Speaker 4: Kurt Warner is.
Speaker 5: The starter today, guys, full go until he shows he can't handle the pain. Essentially, he is going to do everything they possibly have in the playbook as if he was fully healthy until he demonstrates otherwise. In fact, look for him to hand the ball off exclusively with his right hand. He'll be backhanding some of the handoffs just to keep some of the strain off the left arm.
Speaker 1: The number one prerequisite to playing that position, you had to be tough. You would not be able to play it well if you are not a tough individual. But he was tall.
Speaker 12: There was no way that you were going to get him out, you know, even with the elbow, and it's a credit to his toughness and his drive and his competitiveness.
Speaker 1: You got a guy with no tendon in his left elbow with tape jobs and braces that he's completing fastest.
Speaker 5: Kirk played every game the rest of the way in seven and finished the last month on fire, throwing three touchdown passes in each of the final four games.
Speaker 12: In the last half of that two thousand and seven season, we kind of honed in on what he did well, what we did well, and we became a lot better as a team. We finished the year, you know, eight and eight, which was big for us.
Speaker 6: Things started to change for us that people started to see me as the player that I was, and people started to see our team and saying, this team's got some pieces, this team's got a chance. You know now that they you know, they're starting to build something that you know, they could turn the corner and this could be a different Arizona Cardinal team than we've seen in the past. You know, I remember going in and having a conversation with coach just basically saying, is this at OVID competition? Is the best player going to play? How is this you know, really going to play out? I just want to know from my mindset going in, do I have a chance to play? And he told me yes.
Speaker 12: We thought because of the way we finished the two thousand and seven season that it was fair to give him a chance. It was good to see how they handled it. It was good to see how the competition went. And you know, in all fairness, Kurt won it.
Speaker 5: And the decisive moment was the all important third preseason game when Liner threw three picks with a passer rating of just two point eight, soon after Warner went from mentor to starter.
Speaker 10: You know, it was a fair chance.
Speaker 5: I believe.
Speaker 10: I really do believe that, and I think we both played well and they made a decision with Kurt. That's as simple as that, and it's my job to stay focused and to prepare every single day like I'm the starter. That's what I'm going to do, take advantage of the reps when I do get it, and support him one hundred percent.
Speaker 6: Believe that I can bring something to any team that I'm with.
Speaker 1: I believe I.
Speaker 6: Can do that with this team here. I think the coaches have seen that, and with that experience in what we started last year, I think that probably gave me the leg up over anything.
Speaker 5: Up and down would describe the two thousand and eight regular season. Kirk had a perfect passer rating Week two against the Dolphins. Cardinals won an ot thriller against the Cowboys on a block punt in the end zone. Cardinals would clinch the division title early, but down the stretch there was a lopside of loss at Philly on Thanksgiving night, a snow game, jack stomping in New England, leading to that worst playoff team ever Moniker, but Kurt Warner would finish with the third best passer rating in the league, loss three one thousand yard receivers and once the Big Red got to the postseason, well, like Ron Wolfley says, hold onto your butts.
Speaker 4: It's a playflicker. Warner gonna throw deep near sight, going for fans.
Speaker 2: He's in double coverage. It doesn't matter. He caught it anyway. Touchdown, Cardinals.
Speaker 1: Kurt Warner could throw a twinkie into a toaster.
Speaker 2: I mean, this guy is on fire.
Speaker 4: Warner with a ton of time throwing right side, fits open, caught.
Speaker 2: In the five, heading for the pylon, and he is gonna be ruled EO. Cardinals worry Fitzgerald.
Speaker 4: Warner takes back to throw faith left side. Fitzgerald pig on it.
Speaker 2: Touchdown, his third of the day. It's twenty to six Arizona.
Speaker 1: Wow, Kurt Warner isn't in the zone. He is the zone.
Speaker 2: That's it. The Cardinals half shot the world. It's right for true. The Cords have done it. They're going to Super Bowl forty three.
Speaker 5: The QB, who was supposedly on the down side of his career, showed the world how much upside there really was in his game and his team.
Speaker 13: We're nobody else believed in us. We're nobody else believed in me. You guys did, and we're going to the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: A surreal moment because unlike the Cardinals franchise, Kurt he'd been to the Big Game before twice, a fact not lost on fans, opponents, and most importantly, his old locker room. They believe, like Olyman Douce Latui and receiver Larry Fitzgerald.
Speaker 7: The threat he imposed upon the defense. I mean he had them on their toes and you saw the magnificence. I mean he changed the team mentality inside out.
Speaker 14: His experience, his knowledge of the game. He knows exactly what's going on. It's hard for you to confuse him because he's seen every look you can throw at him. He's seen every blitz. His demeanors is so I've been there before, I've done this, and he is really comforting to look in his eyes and know that he's done this before. And now you've got to do out to go out there and just make sure you do your job.
Speaker 4: Warner, the pass with time fires over the middle of the fits.
Speaker 2: Put it the forty five fifth day, but.
Speaker 4: This this forty thirdy goodbye, Harkins lead put down where it.
Speaker 2: Ben Gerald, you've gotta.
Speaker 4: Be kidding me to the holl Larry Fitzgerald a sixty four yard touchdown pass by Warner to mitz Gerald and the Cardinals lead Super Bowl forty three.
Speaker 5: Of course, that's Kurt defits with just over two and a half minutes to play. As we know how that Super Bowl ended, what we did not know was that Kurt was not done and he'd yet to play maybe his greatest game ever.
Speaker 4: And here comes one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL postseason history, and that's the Cardinals signal caller, Kurt Warner.
Speaker 6: I think about the last game that I played in State Farm Stadium or University of Phoenix Stadium. You could argue it was the best football game that I ever played.
Speaker 4: Fires over the middle, It's caught inside the ten yard line, inside the five touchdown. Early this set, Warner's got time, steps up, throws over the middle, gets caught by two set at of.
Speaker 2: Ten spins out of a tack with the five. New set takes it.
Speaker 4: Up with the touchdown, throwing over the middle Fitzgerald wide over to the twenty. Most of the ten fits us on where a legend does it again In the playoff, warnerhead ball floats out of their diving cats.
Speaker 2: Anyway by Beds in the hands.
Speaker 4: Off touchdown, Warner's got it back to pass steps up throws over the middle.
Speaker 2: What a catch by chresta touchdown, Arizona boy.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you he has been absolutely on fire, like I've never seen him on fire.
Speaker 9: Kurt Warner. He had more touchdown passes than he did incompletions. Can you put his performance into perspective?
Speaker 12: One of the best playoff quarterbacks ever, and Kurt was in a special place and it showed up today. You know he was on he was on his game. He was fired up.
Speaker 5: Kurt's last home game one of the greatest playoff performances ever and maybe his best game ever where the Cardinals beat the Packers in overtime.
Speaker 6: I think I played as good a football those three years with the aar Zona Cardinals as I did those three years with the Saint Louis Rams.
Speaker 1: And yes, I went to.
Speaker 6: Two Super Bowls and won two MVPs with the Rams, but I still believed in my mind I was just as good a quarterback, if not better, with the Cardinals.
Speaker 5: Those MVPs and Super Bowls led to the Cardinals Ring of Honor and the Pro Football Hall of Fame not possible without his career revival in the Desert.
Speaker 6: I love the way my career played out. Very few quarterbacks are able to go from place to place to place and to have winning and to have culture change follow them. That to me is what I hang on to more than anything else.
Speaker 5: And there you have it, Cardinals Folk Tales presented by seventy two sold Kurt Warner renaissance Man Special thanks to executive producer Jim Almalhundro associate producer Cody Fincher. My name is Paul Calvic and we'll leave the last word to Kurt on what stands out the most.
Speaker 6: There is nothing greater in team sports than being able to be a catalyst for.
Speaker 5: Change and to think. Kurt admitted later that he considered retirement in two thousand and six after first round rookie Matt Liner took over the starting gig. Yet, when Kurt did retire after the nine season, he held the Cardinals franchise records for completion percentage and passer rating, as well as three hundred yard games and consecutive games with a touchdown pass twenty two in a row. In his six Cardinals postseason games, Kurt Warner threw four to sixteen touchdowns in only four picks. And yes, Kurt's two thousand and eight Super Bowl season featured team records in passer rating and touchdown passes and completion percentage, and all told, Kurt actually threw four more passing yards in Arizona than he did in Sant Louis. But Kurt's impact went so far beyond the box score. As a Cardinal, Kurt earned the NFL's prestigious Walter Payton Mann of the Year Award, deservedly sold for all his extensive work in the community. But if there was an award for culture, Kurt's leadership in the locker room. His impact throughout the Cardinals organization was poignant and pivotal to the Cardinals' success ever since. Almost a permanent Big Red Reset. And when we come back, we'll bring back former Cardinals Pro Bowl a Ron Wolfley, who called every game of Kurt Warner's Cardinals career. This is a special Cardinals Folktales edition to the Big Red Rage, presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert the Legacy of Kurt Warner. The Ring of Honor member of the Hall of Famer, not only changed the culture, but he changed the game in so much any ways. For the Arizona Cardinals. It's our very special Cardinals Folk Tales edition of the Big Red Rage Presentavice santan Ford and Gilbert Paul Kelvic Ron Wolfley for wrapping it up, think about a wolf. He was the point man, the trigger man for the greatest show on turf, and then he was the trigger man, the catalyst for change. That was the shock the world. Cardinals. Kurt Warner didn't just lead to franchises to the Super Bowl. He really revolutionized and reset a couple of franchises into winning ways that were lasting in so many ways.
Speaker 1: He really did bully. And you know, of course, there are always when you talk about a football player, tangibles and there are intangibles, and Kurt had them both. The tangible, very tangible physical presence that Kurt had because of his incredible accuracy, he was one of the more accurate quarterbacks that has ever played in the National Football League. His release to Paully Own, that thing would come out quickly from Kurt Warner in not only that, but his brain. Those were the physical attributes of Kurt, Those were the things he really brought to the football field, but the intangibles that came with that, Paulie, he had one of the greatest gifts that any quarterback could ever have, and that was to keep your eyes down the field, regardless of what it was going on around you. Paul, That I'll never forget that. Just watching Kurt, it was astounding. And I've said this many times, PAULI, but to see the pocket collapsing around Kurt Warner and suddenly you thought he was sacked. And then this arm would come out and Paul, You've seen this from the sideline many times. His arm would come out from the all of these helmets that were around him and suddenly throw a strike on the deep end coming into and kwombolden. His ability to keep his eyes downfield just into none, Paul.
Speaker 5: The pocket would swallow up Kurt Warner and then this periscope would come out like a submarine and then boom the ball's downfield. The accuracy, the anticipation, the ability to read and react all skills honed in the Arena League ultra fast. You had to be really quick with your mind and with the release. Think about some of the all time moments too, not just the biggest moments. We talked about the five touchdowns and only four incompletions out dueling in Aaron Rodgers. We talked about that, the Super Bowl run, but don't forget about late fourth quarter playoff opener against Atlanta, third and sixteen. Roun Wolfleo, when you're looking to seal the game.
Speaker 1: Incredible, Paulie that you bring that up right there, because yes, this is when I think of Kurt Warner. I think of this play as well. This was a critical point in the game. The Cardinals were trying to ice the deal. They had a third and sixteen.
Speaker 5: Is that what it was?
Speaker 1: Polly again, a third and sixteen, and suddenly they run Steven Spock the tight end. Now, Steven Spock was a good football player, Okay he was, but man, this was no This was no juggernaut when it came to receptions and Kwon Bolden, Yes, Larry Fitzgerald, yes, Steve Preston, Yes, you know Steven Spock. No, not a third string tight end exactly. And yet Kurt Warner hit him down the scene to ice this game, to put it on ice for the Cardinals. And that is that is something that Kurt also did. He would throw the ball to the open man and did not care. He cared about schemes. Kurt was all about the scheme and not just the skulls that were fulfilling the scheme. He cared about the scheme and he would throw it to the open man. And because of that, one of the greatest moments in Cardinal history throwing to Steven Spock on third and sixteen.
Speaker 5: It didn't get set enough. He was almost like a de facto offensive coordinator. He would work with Todd Hailey in the offensive staff in devising the game plan. They would wait for his inut on a Monday. And then the toughness look mentally tough, physically tough. I mean he almost got ripped apart by Julius Peppers and then all of a sudden he had to learn to hand the ball off with his throwing arm because his left arm was no longer functional. So there was the toughness aspect of being a quarterback as well.
Speaker 1: That is something that nobody talks enough about in regard to gray Beard as well, and the reason being PAULI is because think of how many hits he took. Now you know, listen, Kurt's gonna tell you I could run. Are you kidding me? I could run?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Kurt still in his day, says he could have run the ball a lot more. And you know, but I don't know about that gray Beard. All I know is he took a beating many many times inside the pocket when that arm wouldn't come out.
Speaker 5: And to think his career started in Packers' training camp nineteen ninety four when his future wife Brenda watched and heard a fan say, nah, that Kurt Warning, guy's just a camp arm. And then she realized camp arm meant you're not gonna make the team. And after that he the Hall of Fame, and he changed the fortunes of two franchises, including the Arizona Cardinals. For executive producer Jim Amhandro, associate producer Cody Fincher, Ron Wolfley on Paul Calvec This has been a Cardinals foll Tales edition of The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway and Valvista. The Rage is brought to you by seat Geek your ticket to great seats, and by Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit azcardinals dot com slash podcast. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals football Clock