Speaker 1: Hi, guys, Welcome to another episode of Diamonds in the Rough with myself Teddy Mellencamp.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm Erica Jane.
Speaker 1: Erica Jane. How's it going?
Speaker 2: Well? No, I want to ask you something because I before it was on tmz Okay, our good friend Kyle sent me this video of you Jen and Kyle like with kind of confronting this or this woman that was mistreating her dogs. That looked that way on the video. But I just want to say, Kyle's like videoing and jumping in the back and you are calm. I just so cool, standing there like unfazed. What was the wildest thing? And then I'm scrolling on the TikTok at nighttime and I see that it's on tmz.
Speaker 1: Well this is the part that kills me. So I get a toe from So this is now? So this what day? Did I see you last week? Wednesday?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Because we did the pod and then I saw you that night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I see you Wednesday night. This whole situation happens on Thursday. And then Friday morning, I get a text message from my publicist. Did you and Kyle happened to get in a brawl on Ventura boulevard.
Speaker 2: It looked like it was about to be a ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this morning. And I said, no, no, we didn't.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you didn't.
Speaker 1: No, I mean no, I didn't technically know. And then she goes weird because maybe you could check out this TMZ right here, and I said, well, that was yesterday, Sue. If you want to know the details, you need to ask the right questions. This was yesterday.
Speaker 2: And so what I got another brawl today?
Speaker 1: I'm looking for one today. But so what happened was we were walking to my doctor's appointment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looked like you guys were on a regular.
Speaker 1: Like we had done like a walk walk. Then we had gone to eat, and then my doctor, the one that's nearby here, was like, oh, I can see her for a blood work whatever. So we're walking on this side of the street and we see this woman and she is, I mean, it's clear she's like mistreating her dog. She's like dragging them on the ground and like badly, and they're like, you know, like all they can, and Kyle, in a polite way, says, can you please treat your dogs a little nice? And then the woman went frickin' rogue. But then I thought, Okay, this is where it's gonna end. But then the woman. The woman crossed the street, and then Kyle crossed the street, and I'm like, hold up, why are we crossing the street. It's already on like the beware to go to the next side of the street. So Jin looks at me and she's like, we need to get over there, and I'm like, I'm not sure I'm the best one in the fight right now.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, like, this is all you need is some brawl on and Dura Boulevard.
Speaker 1: So then we get over there and.
Speaker 2: Already had the hat on.
Speaker 1: I was like, I want to warn a better outfit if I knew we were getting in a paparazzi brawl, like I.
Speaker 3: Was in all beige.
Speaker 1: I didn't even put a wig on underneath my hat, can I tell you? And so then there's they're fighting. Then the other woman's like screaming, like acting like she's gonna fight Kyle. Kyle's got the phone out, and I just walked in front of her just it was genius.
Speaker 2: I'm watching everybody's body language and you're just calmly walking in front of every.
Speaker 1: Probably but I don't even know better.
Speaker 2: Well, I just think that you're at that place where it's like yeah, and I mean, you're just very.
Speaker 1: I'm like what, I'm like, what are you gonna do to hurt me? It would be impossible? What and you know how I am? I focus on two little things and all I could focus on was that she had poop in her pants. I know, not not poop, but I saw the poop. But then it turns into a whole thing. Everybody else from Nture Boulevard comes down.
Speaker 2: How did it resolve? Were the dogs taken away from her?
Speaker 1: No? We kept calling animals. Yeah, we called nine one. The woman just pulled the dogs away and that was the end. But like nothing, but yeah, that was the no I saw it. But I was really just a confused human being wandering around.
Speaker 2: Well, Kyle's like, this is how my morning went, and sent me the video and I go, you gotta be fucking kidding me.
Speaker 1: But the video, this is what I'm confused about. The video that was posted.
Speaker 2: Is someone else from across the street.
Speaker 1: It is someone else's video, and there's no noise, so you can't even hear what's happening.
Speaker 2: You know. The video I got was really like okay, this and the trenches yeah yeah, and you just like standing there like what's going on. I'm like literally was like I only my friend.
Speaker 1: Group, only us, Like you know, no, no, we're not gonna let up once there's a crew of people that are just watching. And then one lady knew me. She's like, I follow you. Can you go stand over there? And I was like yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh she was concerned for you. Thank you one lady, because I was concerned for you in the video. I was like, I don't know the should be doing this right now, and you're the most sane one out of everybody.
Speaker 3: But then all I.
Speaker 1: Kept thinking was my appointments in seven minutes. We got to get this and they have to walk me to the place I can't be on my own, chased by and now that we've caused a scene. But either way, I mean, the woman was completely inappropriate to her dogs. It was scary. I knew it was gonna set Kyle off because Kyle has a heart. I haven't seen mine in a while, but I think.
Speaker 2: It's there, still there.
Speaker 1: It's I felt a.
Speaker 2: Pump limited engagement only only.
Speaker 1: When I'm really annoyed, like when cruise came in at midnight last night for the third time, and all of a sudden, I feel this and I'm like.
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 1: He was checking my sister's here, and he goes he was checking to see if you were a breathing mom, and I'm like, oh my gosh. But then I'm like, gross, thank you for checking on me, but you need to go back to bed.
Speaker 2: He looks so handsome in his baseball Oh.
Speaker 1: My gosh, that's what's his first game? And he's like, really good.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: But baseball is like that sport. It's a long sport to watch.
Speaker 2: It's a long sport, but it's the one that pays the most money.
Speaker 1: There's no boys look the hottest.
Speaker 2: They're great. I mean, if you, like, you know, play pro baseball. I'm not saying that he is, but he could if he was talented enough. And it's kind of a great way. It's much better than the other pro sports except me be golf. Golf you make a lot of money and you don't get hurt. Do you get hurt playing basketball?
Speaker 1: Tiger's gotten hurt multiple times. I mean, maybe he hasn't been taking the best care of himself.
Speaker 2: But that's an exception to the rule. Most of them are in pretty good shape. You're not getting hit?
Speaker 1: Are you just saying this because you're a better golfer than me? And that's probably the only sport you can say that about.
Speaker 2: It's not the only sport I can see.
Speaker 1: Oh one other sports singing, dancing, Yes.
Speaker 2: I can sing, I can dance. I can I can swing a baseball that.
Speaker 1: Oh see, I can't swing a baseball that. Yeah, I'm not good with clubs.
Speaker 2: Club Yeah, good with clubs.
Speaker 1: Clubs are not my strong suit. Yeah, but I'm pretty good at racing. Why was now at this point, I'm pretty good at sitting and watching.
Speaker 2: I may okay, I may beat you out there, because I'm really I'm really good at sitting and watching things. These days, all I do is I go home. I told you. All I do is put on all these positive meditations because you know why, if I don't, it's going to end up on a crime show.
Speaker 1: Well that's where I end up.
Speaker 2: Oh are you watching the true crime?
Speaker 1: Now? Yeah? I'm watching tons of true crime. And I also watched Adolescents, which is so do you like that?
Speaker 2: How was that?
Speaker 1: It's so?
Speaker 2: It was masterful? But it is a depressing set.
Speaker 1: It's really depressing. And this I don't want to ruin this for anybody, but like I like a clean cut ending.
Speaker 2: Oh and there wasn't one. Kind of like life, yeah.
Speaker 1: Kind of like our lives. Yeah, I don't know. Well, which is the strange thing is we asked all of our listeners what they would want to hear us talk about.
Speaker 2: No more sex.
Speaker 1: I'm shocked they didn't want to hear every.
Speaker 2: Jet, the jets. When you're a jet, you're a jet all the way.
Speaker 1: When you're a jet, you're a jet. So they said, we want you guys to discuss the female friendships, especially later in life.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: We can talk about it. So the first question is, can you talk about how you didn't hit it off at first and now have a beautiful friendship. What made you go from I don't know about her? All right? This girl is for me.
Speaker 2: Now? Can I speak first?
Speaker 1: Yes, and then I'll come back.
Speaker 2: So I think that when a new person enters the shows, because we obviously met on the show, that sometimes you don't get the best feel for one another. And so we didn't hit it off right away, but I gained a lot of respect for you. And this is where my whole I couldn't figure it out. Where my whole thing changed for you was when you stood up and did the right thing regarding the dog and Dewy and all that. I was like, this woman has balls and this woman is someone and I like that because you were like, I'm not doing this and all of you think you know the whole story. You don't, but I do. And that right there made me think there's really substance to this woman. And when I saw that, I was like, that's bold and I liked that, and I.
Speaker 1: Felt that I felt the shift then too with you guys and pretty much everybody, because I mean it was we sat at that hot table in the Bahamas for a very long time, very long time for me to get.
Speaker 2: Those balls, but it doesn't matter. You got the balls and you did it. And then I was like, oh shit, yeah, that's someone who's telling the truth and I like that. And from then on I was like, cool, we're good.
Speaker 1: Well for me, it was a little different. I feel like one of the things that we get along so well about right now is I think we're both quite good at reading people. Yeah, And I think and I'm sorry to say this, but this goes for both of us. I think both of us weren't being our full person. No, we both were having a lot of struggles.
Speaker 2: And especially now when you look back at it in context, we were both struggling and could not see eyda eye.
Speaker 1: We couldn't see eye to eye, and I think both of us felt something was disingenuine about the other one. But were I was putting it on myself. She doesn't like me, she doesn't this me, or and she probably thought she's fake or.
Speaker 2: She No, I didn't think you were fake. I thought I remember trying to befriend you on the flight to Vegas, and I said, oh, I heard and you. I asked you a question we were seated on the back. Oh yeah, was salient, and the way you answered me was like yeah, And I just thought, oh, she's already made up her mind about me, like she doesn't like me. And it was just that one moment I was like, Okay, leave her alone kind of thing, like she's not.
Speaker 1: She's not my person. And I think we both got that, and I think the more that we kind of hung around each other, it was like okay. It was even when you said that I wasn't a fawn in the woods. I was like, okay, she at least sees who I am.
Speaker 2: And the audience, it told, cussed me out. But I was right, just like I'm gonna tell y'all, I'm always right, whether it's today, tomorrow, or five years you know what.
Speaker 1: She may have been right on that one, but I was right too when it would she waited us wait too long to put on the red. Oh that was I had raged that day.
Speaker 2: I know you had raged, and you know what I do. You know why I was late because I was sick and I was trying to find something at the pharmacy and I couldn't get back in time. And the pharmacy because it like was lunchtime. After we went to the zoo, which was really cool.
Speaker 1: We did love that we got along the.
Speaker 2: Pandas, like the pandas were cool and I couldn't get I was trying to get something in my throat. Anyway, Yes, I understand why you were late. I was upset too, and that I shouldn't have kept everybody waiting. But it was red.
Speaker 1: But it was great when you were walking and then your little heel got caught in the little hat.
Speaker 2: Oh, and the bicycle almost ran me down, like it was sometimes it was necessary. Sometimes God works in weird ways. But I do think that when everything happened for you at this show, I wasn't and I had made I liked you and I respected you, and I wasn't going to let the fact that you weren't on our show like stop our our but our burgeoning friendship. I just wasn't going to do that. I don't believe in that, like, oh, that person is no longer on the show, so therefore we don't talk to them.
Speaker 1: And I think it also it you realize that somebody is transferred into an actual friend when you want to tell them something that has nothing to do with the show, Like you're a person that I would reach out to. And I've said this in probably every single press interview I ever asked. When people are like, well, tell us about the girls on the show, I'm like, if I were ever in jail needed to get out, wanted to call somebody that would never tell anybody, it would be.
Speaker 2: Architectic, Like that's right. And you know what this reminds me. When I was going through all of this shit with Tom, you sent me like drinks, and you go, I know you could use a drink right now, and I thought, and we hadn't spoken a little while, I had talked to anybody, and I thought, thank you, Teddy. It was just so nice of you to recognize that shit was bad.
Speaker 1: And sometimes you don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I was just in a weird, like scared place, and you were like, I think you could use a drink right now. I'll never forget that.
Speaker 1: And I was, you know what, we made it use a drink soon.
Speaker 2: When you can, when you can't.
Speaker 1: The weird thing is I am allowed to drink right now, but I'm so freaking tired of the time.
Speaker 2: Oh, you'll just have to go to sleep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that it's in night nighttime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll have to time.
Speaker 1: That, Okay. So that's how we started kind of getting into it. And I do think it helped that both of us had a good relationship with Renna.
Speaker 2: She was really she was very She was a great broker for our friendship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Renna would always try with me, like she she likes you.
Speaker 2: She always liked to still likes you, still loves you.
Speaker 1: But she would try. You know, you'd get little notes from production about people's past and Renna. You know, what made her such a great housewife is that she'd poke at you like she'd be like, so I heard you at your placenta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which was wild and I was I.
Speaker 1: Was like, yes, I did, but it was in pill form. Do you have a problem with it? It supposedly supposed to make you feel better? Would you do it? Or should I look into your.
Speaker 2: Pill postpart depression? She was like shit, you know, like.
Speaker 1: She had the ability to like go in hard, but then also if you said something that made sense, she'd be like.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, she gets a bad rap sometimes because people don't understand Lisa Rena is a very good friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah she's not one. Oh my god, Lisa Renna came in to see me in the hospital.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: She told me she called me and that was one of my bad days. She tell me. She was like, Erica, I just left Teddy. I don't know what to say. It's okay.
Speaker 1: It was like if it was your arena's worst day on Housewives, Oh, I'm sure me on steroids.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't do well on that, like pregnant zone and sh'd I get wild? Oh my god, you, Hi, fiant I can't deal.
Speaker 1: But the promise. I didn't know I was being there.
Speaker 2: You also just had your head opened.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, I did have a little sprout coming out of the top that I covered up today. I couldn't even do a wig today. That's the kind of dumb mother.
Speaker 2: You look beautiful like this. I have a nice shaped head. I kept telling you that.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Well, I'll probably wear a wig for tomorrow because I'll be with my sister and.
Speaker 2: One. Well, no like an you. She's sitting right.
Speaker 1: Here in the couch, right here, laughing because.
Speaker 2: And I've never met Justice. We just met all these years.
Speaker 1: Because we are motto is I am the cute one. She's just my sister. She looks like we took that from Mary Kate and Ashley Olson.
Speaker 2: I like them. That's a good thing to take because they got a billion dollars.
Speaker 3: You know what you try?
Speaker 1: Okay, So the next thing is, what's something about each other that surprised you in a good way? After you got close?
Speaker 2: Teddy, it's probably I have to say this. You are one of the most mentally strong people I've ever seen in my entire fucking life. This woman, if it's a commitment. I'll never forget. We were in Santa Barbara and I don't know if you remember me being a bitch. You this woman will wake up at the crack of dawn and go run like one hundred miles before we ever started like getting up to and I just remember, keep going, keep going. She's out there running in the heat, and just You're one of the most disciplined, mentally strong people I've ever seen. The commitment is is and.
Speaker 1: She would give me shit about it, but I worry I would give her shit back in my head, I just didn't have enough balls to say.
Speaker 4: You had a lot of balls, you just weren't doing it, But I I would say for me, it started when when shit started hitting the fan for me on the show and I realized how warm you could be.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, so I've just made up a completely wrong person.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think that I've come across real cuddly, but you know what I am did I don't, but you know what I am good at. When people are down, I'm like, hold on a second, we're going to get through this. That is one thing that I do now because I just don't like for people to feel.
Speaker 1: Alone, and you'll stop somebody on their tracks when they're going down the rabbit hole the wrong the wrong way. What's something you think? So this is for both of us. What's thing we think we do well as friends that maybe we don't give ourselves credit for. For me, it's you give very helpful, honest advice that maybe people think think, but they don't actually want to hear it. I don't get my feelings hurt in that way.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: Like there was something we were talking about the other day and you were like, Teddy, absolutely do not do that, and like the tone came out like where I was like, and I was like, I'm actually not going to do it. And I'm also not going to be offended by that tone, because that's an I love you tone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I just think that maybe in that particular situation, listen, that was a flat out no. And I could see you kind of wanting to make because Teddy, you know, you're somebody that's always working and always making things happen. I was like, we're not. That is not I'm sorry, that is not happening. What is something that I do well as a friend? Maybe I don't give myself credit for I'd like to think that I'm not judgmental. I'd like to Oh, I hope that when people come to me they know that first off, I'm not gonna you can tell me there isn't anything that I'm going to be like ew let me get I'm always like, okay, we can work this out, Like that's all right. Other people have gone through things like this, like don't feel bad, there's always something to do. I hope that I do that. I guess that's how I'm answering this.
Speaker 1: I think that you do that. And I think you also have a good way of when when friendships are not going as planned, you have a great way of being able to talk to the person that's, you know, that's hurt and kind of help the situation, but also talk to the person that may potentially be doing the hurting and say like this is where you need to jump in. And I think it's hard to navigate both sides, and you can do that, which I'm more of a one sided goal.
Speaker 2: Well, I do are your loyalty and I I do. And I think that you know, like yours and Kyle's friendship is really otherworldly, like it's it's really great to see and I know how much she loves you and you love her. And I also admire the fact that you will own your ship. Yeah, you'll be like I did this or I cannot. I cannot lie to you like this is what it is. I'm not going to do that if it involves me. Yeah, if it involves you.
Speaker 1: But I'm never gonna If you told.
Speaker 2: You don't, I'm no, you're not.
Speaker 1: You're not, And I think you're the same way.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not saying it. And I won't do if somebody comes and asks me to say something or do something that I don't agree with, I will not do it. Like no, like to hurt someone else, or to expose someone else, or to make someone feel. Now I may do it myself say fuck you, like you know whatever, But.
Speaker 1: I mean I have done it to people before in the past. But I feel like I've learned my lesson in that way. I would have. I wish the way that like my gut on my like my little beating heart, my little the grand true stool Christmas heart would have handled things was like just always gone directly to the person. Yeah, but sometimes I would maybe have a stop on the way.
Speaker 2: And stop always got you in trouble.
Speaker 1: The stop wasn't the stop was.
Speaker 2: Not the best, not the best idea.
Speaker 1: Do you believe in having one best friend or do you think different friends serve different roles.
Speaker 2: I believe different friends serve different roles. Now I'll tell you why. Because there are certain people I connect with, let's just say being a mom. Certain people I connect with with. You know they and and I'm talking about me going to other people. For like, when I share things, I share certain things that I feel very comfortable. Somebody would know, you know, what do I do with this situation? So I feel like I have a lot of My friend group is small, but I definitely don't believe in one single friend. I like different strengths than people.
Speaker 1: And I think it's I mean, I think if we saw all of my friends and you know, my sister and everybody combined in one room, which I did in the hospital, it was like, I do like a certain type.
Speaker 2: I like a strong will you like people to tell it how to? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I like strong people who are funny, yeah, And so for me that's key. But when it comes to like a best friend, like I forgot who my it was? Maybe even Justice said who do you think your best friend is? And I said, I can't answer who my best friend is. No, I can answer who. Like my core ten people have been.
Speaker 2: Not a lot of people to hunt. But I still have high school See that's impressive. I used to have high school friends. But you know, I think sometimes my circle is very small, you know, and I have no problem like.
Speaker 1: But also question, did Tom make your circle smaller?
Speaker 2: I was always small, but yes, I was very wrapped up and lived behind gates and was very much involved in his life. So I had maybe two or three friends. But you know who's good. I would go to Lisa Renna to say, to ask her a question, and Lisa Arena has this very very skilled way of saying, you know who you should go talk to about that? Go talk to this one about that, because I know that they have experience in that area. Lisa is very good like that. She'll say, I don't really know much about it, but I know that that person does. Go talk to that person, and she's been right on many times, and I think.
Speaker 1: That that's key. But I also think we have different friends for different seasons in our life. It's not that I'm not friends with certain people, but like sometimes I'm really close with someone going through something together. Yeah, and it feels the same. And then or there are people that I was close with and then I had a bunch of kids, and then I was like, what am I gonna do every Saturday? I'd be like, you want to come hang at the pool with me and my forty two kids? No, no, they don't.
Speaker 2: I'm not that girl. No, but I'd rather sit here and do this with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like, we'll figure it out. And I have to say the other night when we were at Kyle's there was a friend that you hadn't metaphrs before, and after you left, she was like, I am obsessed with Erica. Oh yeah, she was like, she just may lays it all out. So it's so effortless to understand. There's no like sifting through the mind. And that's the thing. When you live in Los Angeles, a lot of people feed.
Speaker 2: You a lot of bullshit, a lot of bullshit, and this is not the place with a time like, you know, especially at Kyle's house with you and Jen celebrating Jen, like that was just not I don't want to do that at this age, you know, maybe fifty four in a few months and I was thinking about that. It's just I want to be going to four our birthdays.
Speaker 1: Should we go do something big for shit? Because you're going to be fifty four and I'm going to be forty five. Oh, it's got to mean something.
Speaker 2: It's got to be so let's do something. Should we get our other cancer girlfriends together to Yes, let's do it. That would be fun actually because we all our birthdays are in a row.
Speaker 1: And we've never all been able to do it before because the last time you were in another country for my fortieth, so you couldn't come to that shit show of my birthday.
Speaker 2: But it was this time. We really need to have a good time.
Speaker 1: We're going to do it.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Do you believe the quality of friends over quantity is more important?
Speaker 2: Yes, for sure, quality over quantity every.
Speaker 1: Time, every time.
Speaker 2: And I think also too when you're going I know us being on this show for a long time, and.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't know that I was on it for a long time.
Speaker 2: No, I'm talking about like in this like but your other shows as well, like in your public life, the quality of your friends, because there are only certain people that you trust in this circle because not everybody has the best intentions here.
Speaker 1: No, And somebody said that to me, even with my cancer stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was going to say the same thing, like there, I'm sure there are lots of people that are trying to get close to you for all the wrong reasons.
Speaker 1: Well, someone said to me, and this is somebody I ride horses with. She was like, be careful for the friends that you all a sudden have that be your friends before that you had cancer. And I was like, why would anyone? And then I realized it's like everything that they post or everything that they do hits gets the more social media followers. That it's really wild, wild to think about because I I actually, for me, it's if I don't like you, I don't like you, I don't want to spend.
Speaker 2: Time with You've never and you've always been I don't like that. No, I don't like that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, yeah, And if I don't like it, I'm not gonna you're not doing it.
Speaker 2: No, you don't fake it.
Speaker 1: And I think that's also the power of no, which goes into like the same thing as like having quantity over quality friends, Like if I don't want to do something, you're not doing it like I don't care what event it is. Like there's been times where all the girls are like you guys, went to a dinner one night and the Fox fours five did and they messaged me and they're like them and they're like it starts at eight. And I was like, I'm not going love you guys.
Speaker 2: We actually had to arrange our lunches and our dinners around your schedule.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because I don't like to do shit late.
Speaker 2: Well this was even before, like this has been years, you know, not just recently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I was right, it's better to do things early.
Speaker 2: No, I look, I'm with you. We like the other night, I know, we were over at kyle'son home by nine.
Speaker 1: Oh guys, you didn't even get to see my tattoo. Okay, So always I've wanted this tattoo and I never got it. Also, before everybody has a full mental break.
Speaker 2: She was allowed ID to get the tattoo, So don't get crazy.
Speaker 1: So my entire family and I have talked at all these holidays about wanting to get this little knife. I don't know if you can see it, but and also don't mind that my nails that I've bitten off as I show you this, but because I want to whenever I'm annoyed, just be able to go. And then anyone that knows me knows we're done with this conversation.
Speaker 2: We're not going any further.
Speaker 1: Plus, Justice reminded me we had a song that went with it, and we'd go, I think, God, this little knife.
Speaker 2: Oh well there you go.
Speaker 1: Do you remember I think I like this little life. That was the most obnoxious song ever. Will you know what we've now taken it for the little knife?
Speaker 2: I like it. I wish I could have gotten a knife, but I look kind of you know, that's all I need for my rebuild.
Speaker 1: You know, Eric has gotten a night back.
Speaker 2: We always know she was terrible. Relax, it's not that deep. Um, let me live.
Speaker 1: Okay. What do you think the secret is to keeping a strong friendship going communication?
Speaker 2: And it doesn't always have to be if you were friends with somebody, I can pick up with you. Like let's say I have friends, I don't speak to them for months, a couple months, but when I do, it's like we never be left. And that to me is the signal of a real friendship.
Speaker 1: Me too, It's a lot, a lot that are needy and all pain in the ass, and like I texted you, but I didn't hear right back from you. Yeah, I just had fucking brain cancer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I've been busy.
Speaker 1: I can't see my text message. And the last thing that I'm gonna do is my eyes. Yeah, and listen, if you want me to call you right back, tell me you got some gossip.
Speaker 2: You better be worth it at this point.
Speaker 1: If you're just checking in on me, this is what I also learned. If you're just checking in on somebody, say hey, I'm just checking in on me. You don't need to write me back, no, but just sending.
Speaker 2: Love, just sending hugs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. Then I don't have to worry about it.
Speaker 2: I don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: And then is there's such a thing as too much honesty and a friendship?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I think that for me, if something does not help or something or is Look, I think a lot of people have put this. I'm unfiltered. I say it the way it is. That's great. Yeah, but if it hurts, hold on, Like if it's not something critical, if I knew something that was drastically going to change something for you, I'd listen I've got to tell you this is not going to be easy. But I got to tell you this, which is like my fucking opinion. Who cares?
Speaker 1: You know, It's like, but I also think, I mean, I was in a situation the other day where I mean, this was with somebody of the male gender, So it was different because I think sometimes they miss social cues a lot. And it's nobody that I had a relationship with or anything. But they were like, hey, you know, the next time that you're irritated about, it's somebody I work with, the next time, will you pull me aside and tell me and tell me and not in front of a group. And I was like, well, I don't consider two people a group and we all work together.
Speaker 2: Oh like.
Speaker 1: But then I found myself getting crazy, Like then I was like trying to prove myself.
Speaker 2: Well, you're competitive.
Speaker 1: Well then I was like, well, did you make a mistake or did you not?
Speaker 2: Well? See competitive, this is who she is.
Speaker 1: But then I found myself going, why couldn't you have just gone.
Speaker 2: Oh way, you're right, okay.
Speaker 1: Next time, I'll solely bring it up to you. But like, is that.
Speaker 2: I think you probably could have left it it okay? Yeah, when you start driving home the point a little too hard.
Speaker 1: It's not great.
Speaker 2: It's not great.
Speaker 1: I made a shake on it at the end.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean it's not great.
Speaker 2: Look it's it's not terrible. It's not earth shattering. Yeah, but it's just something for next time, like that cool.
Speaker 1: Like I should have put. Then this hot part of my body fills up and I'm like I need to show I know, well, is there a friendship as an adult that you've cut off? And why?
Speaker 2: Let me think about that. I didn't have a whole lot to cut out. No, nothing comes to mind right now? What about you?
Speaker 1: Only one? And it wasn't necessarily a cut off. It was like the year. I mean, weirdly, I had a year that was almost as bad as this one. It was right when it was right when I got fired and Slade amputato her fingers right.
Speaker 2: And both of our lives burned down that time. So yeah, I'm sorry to anybody, but like both of Slate's finger got chopped off, the guy got killed at your house, you got fired, her head right, all of it.
Speaker 1: It was a rough year and somebody that I had worked with, Oh, then I was getting attacked on the internet by a stranger. Yes, so somebody that I had worked with was very upset that me getting attacked online, was upset was hurting her business that she started because of mine. Okay, that's I was like, you know what, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Mad at you, but I don't need this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm not going to talk about this with you, like your your business came to fruition becaucause of me because of a television show I was on, And you don't think I'm also bummed on how it's affected my business.
Speaker 2: Right Like, I don't feel good either, So let's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's not. This is so for me. It's like, if you're gonna come to me and be mad over something I can do, Like what was I going to do? Be like, hey, Alex Baskin, producer of Housewives, can you please ignore everything that's going on and bring me back. One of my friends is a little irritated, right.
Speaker 2: Like, why is this all of a sudden about her and not about you? You know, I don't have I keep so few people close that I think there are different levels different Well, there are acquaintances, you know. So the people that are close to me are close to me, and yeah, I haven't. I don't think anybody in my adult relationships.
Speaker 1: Do you think your friends are similar to you or different? Like Liyah, for example, I think is like she feels like a pulled back.
Speaker 2: But she's quiet strength, quiet strength. She's very scrappy, but she's very quiet strengths.
Speaker 1: She keeps it undercover, very but she gets sh done within seconds.
Speaker 2: She does. And she's also tough. She's very tough, but you wouldn't. She's not projecting it outward. Yeah, I'm trying to think like friendships. No, but I've cut some people out romantically like that. I've seen post divorce that I think we're just not the best. Ye.
Speaker 1: How long did it take you to figure that out?
Speaker 2: Too long? You know what I mean? Too long and not that in the sense that, oh my god, I wasted time because look whatever that means, but it was just like it wasn't necessary and looking back on it now, I'm glad that that's sober.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, we got to get back to the word we don't like to use.
Speaker 2: What's that one?
Speaker 1: We're going We're on to the second page.
Speaker 2: We are what do we have love languages or their friendship? Okay, sweepy as being in the public life changed the way you trust or form new friendships. Absolutely, but you've always been in the public eye like you guys have always even though you grow I know you always say this. We grew up on Hilton Head. My dad's from Indiana, Like I get it. But your father was like a really big star. So don't tell me both of you that that didn't come into play like people knew so did you ever see?
Speaker 1: But we were chosen too at that point. We were like he had two like tall ass sons that played like rugby or whatever.
Speaker 2: I have to stop you. I knew your dad was a big rock star, like and I'm older than you, so to me, you've always been the children, Like I knew that there were other kids, but.
Speaker 1: But we got more attention. We got more attention from like I just did an interview with Shep. We got more attention from my mom because my mom like we had like a big party house and like, yeah, like everybody would talk about Vicky, you know, like so it's yeah and the monkey, the monkey, the monkey mean to you, Yeah, but yeah, I think we always did have our dad. But because we put even though other people may have put him on a pedestal.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he's just your dad.
Speaker 1: We didn't.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I had to defend John Mellencamp the other day Teddy in an interview. Did you know that?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I did.
Speaker 2: I thought I was going over there to talk to masked singer and this dude says, so John Mellencamp says he's preparing for the muscle. I said, whoa, this is like humorous, like let's not go down.
Speaker 1: Like I made a total freaking joke about it. And he was like, let's pick our top six And I'm like, what are we going back to? What was it before Facebook?
Speaker 2: Or that my Space? The top six? But I just want you to know, like in that interview, I was like, what, like what the fuck? Like, don't don't make this dark, like this was something that they you know that you and your father were talking about this. There's humor in the here.
Speaker 1: And in that same token like here he knows me well enough. Like I even told my sister when she came, I'm like, no crying around. I don't want to.
Speaker 2: I don't want to hear it.
Speaker 1: But my dad knows that I need like some comedy to this because his next quote or his next thing was like, all right, now we actually really do have to get talking serious, like we need to talk about your will and like your living trust and like do the things we need to do, you know. But like sometimes I don't want just someone to come pummel me, like let's.
Speaker 2: Joke, let's have a good time, because he thinks are so heavy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I was like, no, I don't. I don't think John Minnett like that, Like, yeah, don't don't do this to me right now. I'm a fuck you up. I was really pissed.
Speaker 1: And then is coming from I know it was, and it was everywhere, like that day that was everywhere, and so was me getting in an altercation. I've been for the dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like telling you, we're the most calm person in the entire.
Speaker 1: I was like, can I not get a fucking break. I'm not even trying to fight with anyone.
Speaker 2: Even what you did in your past life to deserve all this chaos, I.
Speaker 1: Must have done some fucked up shit.
Speaker 2: So do you think that you you're okay? So we're talking about you being in the public eye. I think you've been in the public eye since you were young. So you know, what, do you have any new friends? No?
Speaker 1: No, I keep the same friend I mean I have my most recent set of friends, our friends that I met and Mommy and Me with Slate. Okay, so because that's when you're you know, that's over ten years ago. It's because you have a big life change, and there were.
Speaker 2: People bond with women that are doing like Matt.
Speaker 1: Was one of my fucking friends. What am I going to do with him? With my kids?
Speaker 2: What you were.
Speaker 1: Ten years ago? Not in Mommy and Me.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was like, you're and Mommy and me?
Speaker 1: You have not Literally my brain I'm saying my current friend group was askew.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm with it now.
Speaker 1: Jeepers, I didn't know I was going to spell it out on the pod. Now.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Are there any friendships that got stronger because of what you went through on the show, Yes, you're looking at it. Yeah, and I think that you know, people, a lot of people watch the show and they think they know what the show is about or how you feel, but that's not true. The only people who really know what the show does to them are the women that have been on the show. And you do form real friendships when you were not. I mean, there's some people that we've worked with it that not one not one iota.
Speaker 1: But there's plenty of time where you form the friendships. I would say we had some of our best laughs on planes, of course. I mean, granted, our first time we were filmed on a plane and that's when we decided we didn't like each other.
Speaker 2: But after that start, but after.
Speaker 1: That, like our plane, right, because remember we would fly thirty six hours to go somewhere for three days. Yes, so we were by the time our flight home, we were just like can I sit next to Erica?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Can I just sit next to you? Like, do you have any snack? Do you want this? People don't realize that, and you kind of bond in those situations. I remember when Durit this is before you joined the cast, and I were not getting along in Hong Kong and we had all just gotten rained on and we're all sitting in the back of this mini van and she had the poncho and she went just like, you know, like I was like thank you, you know, like we were not gonna here.
Speaker 1: I was like you like, no, you would do that too with Tom's because I'd always get carsick. Eric would be like, you didn't bring him again, and I was like no, and you'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, yes, here are your fucking tongues and fucking pregnant woman. And I was always fascinating. I have to roll down the window. I'm so hot, like you were sick. I was impressed. I want to tell everybody doing that.
Speaker 1: I want to tell everybody about friendships. Sprinter van I said, we made friendships and planes, not sprinter vans. Sprinter Vans is where you find the world. If they used all the footage from the sprinter vans, all.
Speaker 2: The cussing out that we did of everybody.
Speaker 1: Everyone, I mean, it didn't matter if it was one of us, if it was one.
Speaker 2: Of production, if it was anybody. Just the level of anger in a sprinter van. No.
Speaker 1: We would get in and would be like, how long to the horse riding that we're doing, and they'd be like seventy two minutes and I'd be like, don't act like that's not more than an hour, because you said seventy two you know.
Speaker 2: Like it was very tough. We sprinter vans do not do something wrong with them.
Speaker 1: Why they need to get better recording in there, because that is they don't. Yes, you know what it will they get down?
Speaker 2: No, do not get better recording in the sprinter van.
Speaker 1: I appreciate Erica is not her friendliest and a sprinter I'm not.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: She might need more tumps and other things.
Speaker 2: I need lots of other things. The sprinter vans make me wild. I don't know what it is. I just I think because the seats are so uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: And if you have to sit backwards, or if you're late and you have to sit said someone you don't like, and then you're like, they're not going to use this anyway, and now this person doesn't want to talk.
Speaker 2: But I you know, it's funny because we were talking at the reunion about how d was smoking a sig in the car and Kyle said, oh, you never thought that they'd use that, and I go, oh, they use. I assume everything they'll use, like.
Speaker 1: And this isn't to dog out to read. I love to read, and I've smoked a sig myself, or a vape or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know, the first time I saw you smoking was with the crew and Provence when you were drunk. I didn't know Teddy drunk smoke. I didn't know Teddy smoked until I caught her out back in France smoking. I was like, oh, misfitness. She watched Miss Lifestyle.
Speaker 1: And I was great. I'm like, I was curious because the only person that actually carried six what were dread And I went to smoking parliaments and no, hers are parliament lights snow with whatever menthols.
Speaker 2: And so I'm like, wow, she smokes American spirits, but I know she smoked pfunks.
Speaker 1: So I had to move on from her, and I went to the crew andmy, does anyone have a cigarette that doesn't have menthol in it?
Speaker 2: I saw you back there smoking in a skirt and drunk, and I was like, what the fuck part of the show is this? I had no idea.
Speaker 1: I mean even Chris walked out to yell at me, like get back in there.
Speaker 2: I know that's what I saw.
Speaker 1: But that's why I never thought that they would use to eat smoking on camera.
Speaker 2: Because I was smoking with the camera. Man.
Speaker 1: That's my point. Thank you Pablo for never sharing, Fuck off Erica for sharing well whatever, but it's not why I got the cancers. Guys, it's a different kind My metastaised.
Speaker 2: You had this, do you know I saw your skin cancer with that night in Vegas that we're talking about. I saw it on your shoulder. I can tell you what you're wearing, wearing a black romper. We were standing on the balcony. It was at nighttime, it was the summertime, were standing in the Venetian and I saw this and I thought, oh my gosh, I wonder if those are scars or something. I saw it. I was like the first time I'd ever met. I was like, what is that on her sid?
Speaker 1: Because what year was the first year that I came on What I'm trying to remember.
Speaker 2: Like, so I did season six, You came on season seven, and I think he went season eight.
Speaker 1: That was probably two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 1: Huh, seventeen, two thousand seventeen. Still not good with dates, still not good. Nineteen ninety, nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Thought it was nineteen ninety nine for a long time here recently.
Speaker 1: Nineteen ninety the whole time I was in the hospital, I was like nine nine.
Speaker 2: Good year.
Speaker 1: The year I graduated high school.
Speaker 2: That's what it is.
Speaker 1: Eighty nine graduated high school.
Speaker 2: You didn't graduate high school barely? Oh you did, I'm saying, did you get kicked down.
Speaker 1: No, I just wanted to go to the horse shows at the end. No, I would you know what, didn't make it to college.
Speaker 2: But you guys do it just fining.
Speaker 1: Keep tuning in to Diamonds in the Rough because, and though it may be more rough than diamonds, half the time when you listen to us, we're doing our best.
Speaker 2: We're having a great time. I'm just happy to spend the time with you and have you smiling and laughing. I know, and I'm glad we're friends. It's brilliant.
Speaker 1: But let's fight next week. No, what can we fight with about?
Speaker 2: Fighting about anything with you?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think what I could do to really piss you off. No, I can pull your eyelash off. That would piss you off.
Speaker 2: Here, do it right now. I'm not mad, Oh, Mike.
Speaker 1: I'm mad because I didn't put any on today. Well, thanks, guys, tune in.
Speaker 2: So there's my in the woods. I love you.
Speaker 1: All we need is some kind of velvet outfit and we're good to go.
Speaker 2: Love you, love you, Bye bye, guys.