Speaker 1: Ruby, I came out of the womb.
Speaker 2: Gay sex and not just about penetration, but it's about conversation.
Speaker 3: I've been looging yourself. Begins with masturbation.
Speaker 4: From just beyond the lights of Los Angeles and Steamy Palm Springs, California. It's Mick Robert Bill just say, and this.
Speaker 3: Is silver Lighting with the Old Gays.
Speaker 5: So far, it's been just the four of us talking, but we think it's time we opened the door to a special guest.
Speaker 1: I told you I don't do those kind of things anymore.
Speaker 4: So who's going to be the fifth wheel on this Old Gay Tour?
Speaker 3: They're half our, so it's more like four and a half wheels.
Speaker 1: I think they make up for their youth with their intelligence, talent and bone structure.
Speaker 4: That's right for our season one finale, the Old Gays are welcoming our very first Silver Linings guest Brandon Kyle Goodman. Brandon is a writer, actor, comedian, educator, and activist, best known for their brilliant work on the TV show Big Mouth.
Speaker 1: Their heartfelt book You Gotta Be You, and their iHeart podcast series Tell Me Something MESSI.
Speaker 4: We're thrilled to have them with us, so please welcome the fabulous Brandon Kyle Goodman. Yes, Hi everybody. Hi, Hi, I'm so excited to be here. How y'all doing today?
Speaker 5: We're doing great?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Where do I find y'all?
Speaker 3: Palm Springs?
Speaker 6: Palm Springs? Is it hot?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah?
Speaker 5: Maybe one hundred and ten, one hundred and fifteen today?
Speaker 6: How do else stay cool in that weather?
Speaker 4: It's called air conditioning? Honey, Well, that's right.
Speaker 3: And pol you have.
Speaker 4: In the evening in the evenings.
Speaker 6: And any popsicles maybe I do?
Speaker 4: Okay, I love popsicles and ice cream sandwiches. It's summer.
Speaker 6: There we go.
Speaker 4: So what's going on in La?
Speaker 1: La?
Speaker 6: Is also hot?
Speaker 2: Not as host Springs. Now, you know, I went to the gym this morning. I had a little meditation.
Speaker 6: You know. I ate the string cheese. I'm feeling good.
Speaker 4: I'm feeling do you say a string cheese?
Speaker 2: A string cheese? Just saying okay, just the one to hold me over. It's feeling good.
Speaker 5: So our conversation today has an intergeneration focus. We covered a lot of ground on this podcast so far, and now we'd like to mingle with you about the ways things have changed are stayed the same in Queer life.
Speaker 4: Yes, the four of us are considered baby boomers, and Brandon, you.
Speaker 6: Are a millennial, I believe, Yes.
Speaker 1: What's the most millennial thing about you?
Speaker 2: I feel like what's the most millennial thing about me is probably my love of mental health and like feelings and my love of living single, which is one of my favorite TV shows. So I love I love wearing, I love the nineties nostalgia, I love wearing overalls now.
Speaker 6: But I also love my mental health.
Speaker 2: That's like, that's my my gem, you know, talking about our feelings understand, Yes, what's.
Speaker 6: The most what's the most boomer thing about y'all?
Speaker 5: Bill can be more specific, but we're not really boomers. Bill and I.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Something that's not really talked about a lot is the Silent generation. Bob was born in forty three. I was born in forty four. And the Silent generation goes from nineteen twenty eight through nineteen forty five. And the Silent generation was very disciplined and it was a very strict generation. And the boomers kind of broke into it and that they started expressing their own things and not things that they were taught like in the past.
Speaker 3: Oh, I beg to differ, Uh, oh, differ. Then I'm a baby boomer. You know, there are older boomers and then there are younger boomers. I was born in nineteen fifty six, so it was probably between the two boomer generations. Remember, Barack Obama is a baby boomer. He was born at the very end. And I can see that there is a very big difference between say like a Bill Clinton and a Barack Obama. You can see the difference in attitude and approach to life. And I think that has a lot to do with the fact that the early boomers were very much involved in civil rights protests, the beginning of the women's movement, the LGBTQ queer movement, and also just to open up the way we approach life. Boomers are, first of all, were expected to achieve a lot, but they are also the most spoiled generation, and I would say that about ourselves.
Speaker 5: I also think that World War two, the end of the war had a really big impact in shaping how many of us viewed our place in the world in a positive way and how if we all work hard and work together, what we can achieve. And so that I think was instilled in many of us by our parents and by just society at the time that it really shaped our formitive years and what we chose to do later in life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's an early boomer. Okay, it's much different.
Speaker 6: And just say, where do you fit into all this? What do you think?
Speaker 4: I don't I just I just am you just I never figured out these boomers and exes and all that stuff. I'm just me. Yes, Was it was it.
Speaker 2: Easy to carve a space out for yourselves or did you have to was?
Speaker 6: Was?
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously there was resistance, but what was your relationship to that resistance?
Speaker 4: I don't remember the big issues. It's been a smooth journey because of my parents educating us on what to do, when to do, and when not to do. And then I became vocal as I became a teenager with the racial issues that were going on. Still had to stay in the closet for quite a while, so I wasn't out.
Speaker 6: When did everybody come out? How old were you all when you came.
Speaker 4: Out to ourselves or publicly?
Speaker 6: Oh that's a great question to yourself and then publicly?
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, for me, there was no single event or anything. It was just a very gradual, natural process that took place. When I was probably five years old, and I knew at that point in time I was different, and I knew what visuals matters stimulated me. I have never been to bed with a woman. I have never had the desire to.
Speaker 3: I think each two of us has a different definition of coming out. It really wasn't until my junior year of college where I finally came out. And that's when I started doing the bars in the circuit, but also going to meetings because Minnesota is a pretty liberal state and had already developed a high level of gay organization. And in nineteen seventy seven, I moved to California and I went to a party with my ex and we had done LSD and so it was a Sunday morning, and it was around two in the afternoon, and my sister called, and then she put my mother on for some reason. And I was still so loaded, and so I told my mother that I forgived her for all anythings that any resentments that I had against her. And then I said, oh, and by the way, I'm gay. Oh And she said, oh, okay, I still love you, but don't tell your father.
Speaker 6: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I thank god that I left Minnesota that's all I say.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that makes sense, So you could be yourself, how about you? Bill?
Speaker 4: And just they I came out at birth. I was cut out at birth, but I came out to myself all my life. I was never into girls, but I had to be on fortunately because I didn't want to hurt them, but I did. I was close to marriage but got out of it. But I came out publicly. When was that? Oh, when I moved to la in eighty two and joined La Gay Men's Course. And it's just been the journey of the courses in that community leading me to where I am today.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Bill, I always knew I was gay. I mean I came out of the womb gay and a lot of the other kids played doctor with one another. But I always avoided that situation because I didn't want anybody to know I was gay. I never came out to my family, never told them I was gay, because they just knew I was gay. But I always restrained from playing around or anything until I was sixteen and a half years old and I got my driver's license and I made a beeline right down to Laguna Beach and the rest was history.
Speaker 6: Oh, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: I have one more, please, I don't know how I could forget this. My mom coming out to my mom. Oh, I was in a relationship already in California, and she kept saying, you know how parents, when are you getting married? When are you getting married? Like, okay, girl, you don't know. So I wrote a letter and sent it to my sister and her husband and they took the letter to my mom for her to read with her, and it was just amazing. She was crying and she was feeling guilty for not being able to be there for me. But I told her, I said, you were, you just didn't know it. I says, that's it. I says that you love me and accept me for who I am. It's all I need. After that, I could care less who knew or who didn't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, yeah, moms are I mean I think for ye moms or something. Moms are something and want that approval or that acceptance my mom. My mom is from Trinidad, so I'm perseneration American. I came out to her when I was twenty or no, sorry, twenty one or twenty two. Yeah, yeah, yeah. She didn't take it well and she Unfortunately we've been estranged for about fifteen years now. So my journey has been learning to love myself regardless of whether or not my family could show up for me. And this is like where you know, chosen family became such a huge part of my life. I remember having this moment because we're you know, I'm a PK pastor's kid. My grandmother was a minister, my mom is now a minister, and so we just kind of grew up under the screw. Not this called the scrutiny, but the I always say, like the sashon Malia Obama of church, like you're just always being watched and how you behave it's all. But I remember after I came out to my mom and that didn't go so well, and just like wrestling with is it okay to be gay? Is it okay to be queer or not? And then looking at my friends who were also queer and loving them so deeply and being like, well, if they're wonderful, I don't think there're a sin, then why would I be a sin?
Speaker 6: And that allowed me.
Speaker 2: To release that shame and realize it was more my mother's journey and not mine. You know that I get to be proud of who I am, and also because of all the people that have come before yourselves, included who have lived out loud and made it okay. And I was saying to my friends, I don't know, it would feel disrespectful to me to not honor the people who have come before and who were living out loud and who were old about it, to not do that if I feel safe enough to do it, I'm in New York City. Like, if not there, then where are you? Thank you you're outselling you know?
Speaker 3: Oh well Bram did following up on that. Yeah, yes, tell me about the podcast, tell me something mess.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my podcast.
Speaker 2: My podcast is a safe space to talk about relationships, sex and identity. And so we range from you know, really wild things to really soulful things. But the point is to just have these conversations about the quiet things out loud. So to me, we are steeped in a culture that doesn't want to talk about stuff, and everyone is moving around in their spaces thinking that they're alone, and so the intention of the podcast is that you're not alone. That like, there are the wacky things that happen during sex that or the cringe things, or the embarrassing things, the vulnerable things. There are things that happen with your family, there are things that happen at work. And here's a safe space for us to talk about it all with curiosity, communication and compassion.
Speaker 3: Can you tell me what was your most memorable, quiet but explosive memory from the show?
Speaker 6: From the show you know what?
Speaker 2: This one was from Emily no Goski And she wrote the book Come As You Are, and we were. You know that book is revolutionary and just like incredible in terms of understanding one's body and sexuality and what you what the shoulds are, and how to release all I should do this and I should be this and just kind of exist. And she said to me, who you are as a sexual being deserves to exist. Hearing that and like just like broke me down in quite the way, in an unexpected way, because to be given that permission that who you are as a sexual person has every right to exist and be. And then Lena Waite came on and also gave us a moment. We were talking about mothers and not having adult relationships with our mothers, and she said something to the effect that her therapist had said, which is, you don't need somebody's response to heal. This idea that, like, you know, even if a person has passed away or you're no longer a conversation, you don't need their response to heal. You just need to say the truth of what you're feeling, whether that's to a candle that you've lit, whether that's the stars, whether that's in a letter, But you don't need to Their response is not going to bring you your healing. That healing has to come from from you. And so those are two very incredible moments on the show. And then Katya from ruf Roll's Drag Race told me about you know how she likes to work out with butt plugs and then one of the one time it fell out, she was at the gym and she had to pick it up real fast because she wasn't sure if it was, as she said, pristine. So we have the rage, we have the range on the show everything.
Speaker 3: Did she have to like run across the room to find it at the other wall.
Speaker 2: I think, and it was right there she just grabbed, just like betting itself a too long food moment. Yes, yes, yes, the sling of shotting across the room. No, it wasn't that it just fell on the floor. Shit to grab real fast. So we talk about it all. It's just it's just a shame free space to have imperfect conversations that hopefully make people feel less alone.
Speaker 4: Oh great, I had that too. Anybody tell no I didn't miss a joke.
Speaker 3: Let's go back to this subject of butt plugged.
Speaker 6: Yes, please.
Speaker 3: Did anybody talk about, like, you know, losing one up there?
Speaker 2: I half I did once. That's why you need a flared base. So I had a silver chrome butt plug, had a little jewel on it. It was set to me, you know, because because of the work I do, people will send me different sex things.
Speaker 6: And I was all right, cool, let me do this.
Speaker 2: So I like put it in and I was like cool, cool, And then I think it coughed or something, and that thing went up into my guts and I said, this is.
Speaker 6: Not happening to me. This cannot happen to me.
Speaker 2: And I tried to reach for it and I could feel it, but it was moving and twirling and I couldn't get to it. And I was about to be like I have to go to my husband and be like, hey, babe, we might have to go to the hospital. But I gave myself one more moment, and I sat on the toilet and I said, just one big push, girl, and I had that and.
Speaker 6: That thing went clink clink clink clink clink all up in the toilet ball.
Speaker 2: But I told the about it, and they said, girl, you need a flared base. So anyone listening, if you got a butt plug, it better have a flared base.
Speaker 6: So don't go up to your guts.
Speaker 4: And make sure you cagle so you can keep that thing tight. There you go, yes, grab it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I had a vibrator and you go all the way up. Yeah. And well if somebody was using it, and I get I have a very powerful record, and I guess I just that's right, stocked it right. I'm just a greedy little.
Speaker 6: What's one of your favorite sex stories you want to share?
Speaker 5: No, they've been varied.
Speaker 3: Been varied. You know the thing about there's a lot of bad sex out there.
Speaker 6: Like, let's be honest.
Speaker 3: But you know, first of all, the only way you can improve your skills is by practicing. It's like riding a bike. You just got to keep getting on it. You just got to keep going on it. You just got to keep riding it. You know, riding it or taking it exactly. And you know, the one thing I will say is, you know, I got a lot of pointers watching porn. Porn, orn, orn. I got a lot of pointers watching orn. Yeah, porn, And like you know, you know the way those guys, some of those guys you know take it down their throats. I am just so impressed do that.
Speaker 6: That's a spiral.
Speaker 3: It's an art and one of the things you know, that that really separate us from the others, you know, the ninety nine percenters over there. You know, uh is sexist fun and sexes. I should be unashamed and and out there. You should try as many different positions and and and schems and and just to enjoy it because sexuality is what defines us.
Speaker 1: And Brandon, speaking of that, you put a word in the dictionary, correct.
Speaker 2: Yes, Bill, it's an urban dictionary, the VKG. Why the Brandon kao yawn? I taught people how to give a better blowjob, which is by yawning so that you open up the back of your throat, lift that so off palette and then you can take it for.
Speaker 3: The How do you yawn with your blo and how do you yawn when you yawned.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you yawn, you suppressed the gag replex exactly.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's it's the when you don't yawn, it constrains the vocal cords and then you're getting you know, you're not going to get it all.
Speaker 3: The way Yeah, where you be, I know, And you know the best thing about is when it gets all the way down to your poicebox.
Speaker 2: There, give it a battle cry on that, dick, Uh huh.
Speaker 4: Did the work?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: On my podcast we talk a lot about we're talking about relationships, sex and identity, but I'm always talking about sex because there's so much shame around it, especially for women in queer fix because we've been trained to find what we do as not sex or not or is a sin or whatever, and so just having to undo that and unpack that and then discovering that inside of learning about sex, you really just learn about who you are. So I call people on my show, we call each other hose spelled h E a u X. It's a fancy word, and my definition of it is someone who commits to the liberation of themselves and others by thoughtfully interrogating their relationship to sex. Using curiosity, communication and compassion and.
Speaker 3: So this, well, that's a mouthful.
Speaker 6: It is a mouthful, and you know we like a mouthful. Mack. Come on, you got mack, You got.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 2: So it's just like having those conversations and creating a space to have conversations that it's not just about I always say sex is not just about penetration, but it's about conversation. It's about intimacy, it's about pleasure, it's about you know, curiosity. Can you be curious about what you love and what you don't love?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know, I seem to remember in the days before age, like when you would go to a bath house in San Francisco, you were always engaging in conversation with somebody outside them, you know, the showers, and then you just saunter into a room, you know, and all of a sudden you've discovered your long lost friend. Yes, and you know, your alter ego or you know whatever.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know, I love I love a bathhouse conversation. The first time I went to a bath house, that was my favorite part about it was sitting in the jacuzzi and just talking and you know, like there without there having to be anything sexual, just like a bunch of men naked having conversations about life and whatever, and then you know, you go in the steamer room and do whatever. But that the that the the center of it. The core of it was actually the community. It was actually the emotional connection. I talk about having safe sex, safe, being satisfying, affirming, freeing, and emotionally connected.
Speaker 6: Stop, come on, you know, let's not.
Speaker 3: Preach.
Speaker 4: K Yeah, you know, it's still a Mama Luyer.
Speaker 3: You know, the relationships that I had lasting with my gay and queer friends have always begun through a sexual encounter, and I think those are the ones that last longer. I don't know why. Maybe there's a little twinge in the heart for that person as long as they're alive and as you remember them. And that's special. You know that I find now, even when I do go home and visit my family, that I have so little in common with them, you know, and that I have to relate on their level because God knows, you know, they're not going to turn around and just say to me, you know, yeah, well yeah, I was a bad time.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: The blood family is so interesting because I know that everyone, not everyone, but a lot of us try to hold on to it, even when the blood family is not necessarily the healthiest for us. Doesn't necessarily make us feel our safest or make us feel our softest, you know, if they do wonderful. But a lot of times, you know, we talk about people going home for Thanksgiving and dreading it. You know this generation that's you know, our generation and gen Z that's coming up as going, Hey, if it's not a safe place, I don't necessarily owe them anything. Just because you know, you gave birth to me and gave me a home which wasn't my choice to be here, doesn't mean that I now have to I owe you holidays or I owe you attention if you are not a safe space. Yeah, you know, especially as queer folks, I think that your your emotional safety is of the utmost importance. And if your family, your blood is not that, then it's okay. I say, you know, there's a boundary here, and like I'm gonna I'm gonna spend time with my chosen family, and I want to pour into the people who pour into me, regardless of if we're related, regardless of gender or sexual orientation or any of that. It's like another human who's pouring it to me and I'm pouring into them. That's where I want to be.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I'm I'm really lucky on the blood family thing because I have great support from all of my family. In fact, for the fourth of July, my cousin always throws a big family reunion, and since it had been covid in that I hadn't been there in like five years, and they all knew about the old days. Three of them asked me for selfie and two of them asked me to talk do a video for friends of theirs who liked them. So I know, I'm a very, very lucky guy. But I've got extremely strong blood family support.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful. And let me ask you, what is it like being a celebrity now? Like going home and wonderful?
Speaker 1: I'm still Bill.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's how I feel.
Speaker 3: I'm still Bill said.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of it's a lot of fun. Yeah, it's almost every time you go out, somebody approaches you for some reason or another.
Speaker 1: And they all want to know how we started and that.
Speaker 4: Kind of thing, and I tell them to read the book.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after a quick break.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Silver Linings with the old gays.
Speaker 2: I have two questions. One is, how do you muse that we protect each other? You know, based off of having lived a life where you've had to show up for each other and where a lot of the rights that my generation has is because of the fight that your generation partook in. How do you muse that we today take care of each other and show up for each other technicogy.
Speaker 3: Well, one of the things I wanted to just say in background is you know a lot of people died for our freedom. Reason, Yeah, and I think of them, and so when I say something publicly, I think of generations that are younger than me, particularly young people between eighteen and twenty five, especially coming out. All of that has given me the courage to join in. You know, it's so important because we have to face this intimidation and we have to stand up for who we are because you know, there's no going going back into the closet. Right the world is just too too complicated and diverse in quite frankly fragmented place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I hear you saying is that the visibility is important, and that so whatever your whether you have a big following or a small following, it's the courage to say who you are, the truth of who you are, and show up in that way. And the other piece of it is, in terms of the activism, is that it's not just for you. It's for who's come before you and that's coming after you.
Speaker 3: You know, Like I can think of how many times at work I would hear a gay slur or I would think particularly I worked in television. Okay, I worked in show business as an actor, and talk about being behind the eight ball and having to you know, do all of that stuff, and I just in the end refused. And I suppose that cost me a career, but you know, I'd rather be true to myself and to my my peers then to be fake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it costs you your career, but gained you your peace. And I don't think you can put a price on one's piece of mind and one piece of heart. You know, there's no there's no price sack for that piece for being able to look at yourself in the mirror and.
Speaker 6: Say I I.
Speaker 2: Know that I acted with the integrity that is aligned with the truth of who I am.
Speaker 4: That is a that is an invaluable So it all starts with self love. It really does getting getting to that point. You know, self love is.
Speaker 2: Something that we I talk about often on the show and with friends, and I'm so curious your thoughts on how one loves themselves. You know, how how do you begin that process? Like what is the starting place of learning to love yourself?
Speaker 3: It varies.
Speaker 5: I think you recognize that you are special, that you are unique, there's no other person like you, and understand who you are and be the best at that image.
Speaker 3: I think loving yourself begins with masturbation. A that's right, correct? I mean where else is it gonna start? I mean I think you know, I I learned to love myself by pleasuring myself and realizing, you know, you're a hot gay man and I wouldn't have it any other way in this life.
Speaker 6: Yeah, giving yourself pleasure like learn that. I mean, that's funny, but it's true.
Speaker 2: The masturbation and like learning how to love yourself and not being ashamed of it and and giving yourself pleasure is a form of self in the day. I feel like with self love, I try to rend that it doesn't have to be perfect. Sometimes I feel like those pursuit it's not, but the pursuit of self love is that like I'm a perfect person. It's like, no, it's loving your flaws, it's loving your insecurities. It's it's loving the best parts of you and the scary parts of you. That to me is the journey of self love. That you're not trying to be a perfect person who is worthy of love.
Speaker 3: I think we compensate for our what we feel our deficiencies are because we're queer, and so there's this kind of neuroticism that comes involved in being a perfectionist. Yes, yes, and not living or having like issues of body consciousness like that that's how we get worth yes, yes, And I think, well, you know so much gay culture, Yeah, unfortunately is a lot about that. It is about looks and it's like you know, talking about aging, is that the fear is that once you turn thirty you disappear year and that isn't what happened. Thirty is when life begins. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, oh my goodness. Yes, I'm thirty eight and I'm like, I'm just getting started. It's not you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're a baby, baby baby.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for saying that, because I feel it. I feel like a baby and I feel like I've just begun. But there was a fear in my twenties and my teenage yeers that like if I had to be at a certain point by thirty, which I and when I didn't hit that, that became scary.
Speaker 6: And then in the last few years it's been like.
Speaker 2: Oh no, baby, Like some people may experience what looks like externally the success or whatever they go out at a certain age, but who you are as a person, Oh, you don't know who the hell you are yet until you're you're much further along. And that this I'm excited about the journey. I'm excited about the forties and the fifties and the sixties and it gets litter. My Angela was like, there's her masterclass when she she said the eighties. If you can make get to the eighties, the eighties are fabulous, and I really love I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: Is that is that right, Bob Phil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yes, I never thought i'd live this long. I'm just just being able to enjoy myself now and the freedom that I have. I mean, it's it's it's the best time of my life.
Speaker 5: And I feel so content and like everything is almost in its place where it needs to be. And as long as there's not an external interruption, which is possible, that life's gonna be nice to coastone out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think one of the rituals of passage is actually to go through the death of your parents. When my father died, I called a friend of mine and I rang her up in London and I told her that my father had died. And she said, oh, you're an orphan now, yeah, And she said, you know, that's not such a bad thing. And I said why, And I said, well, you don't have anyone to answer to now, you don't have to be something you're not just to please them. Yeah, you're on your own. And in so many ways that was true. I think with both the loss of my parents, even though I grieved that, I realized that there was a certain freedom.
Speaker 6: There is I have.
Speaker 2: The you know, as somebody who's strange, there's the emotional you know, I talk about the physical passing of a parent versus the emotional passing of a parent, So I have the emotional one. And a friend of mine saw a performance of mind and they were like, you're so free? Is it because you're not in relationship with your mother? And I had never considered it that like, oh, because I'm not I'm no longer a representative of the bloodline, I can kind of play.
Speaker 3: And explore yourself. Yeah, and you can. It's self actualization, Yes, that's what they call it. And you know, you just latch onto things that interest you and you do it because they interest you and nobody else. And that's that's really, I think the first step in being an adult.
Speaker 5: And that's where creativity comes from. Daring to take that step, yes, is what generate new ideas.
Speaker 6: Can I ask, do.
Speaker 2: Y'all have any grieving rituals? I have been musing that as a culture, we are not good at talking about aging. We're not good at talking about any kind of death, emotional, physical, And so I'm so curious about building a grief practice because you know, with the change is grief. With growth comes grief. And so sometimes it's relationships, sometimes it's people. Sometimes it's you know, a home that you lived in. And I'm so curious if you have any thoughts on or have your own grief rituals that you've built over the years, ways in which you've allowed yourself to feel.
Speaker 3: I do, Yeah, I do. I use music for that when I think about the dogs that I that Joel and I had raised. I have specific music that I selected for them so that whenever the music plays and it's all usually classical music, I do cry and I think about that. But you know that that was really special. And and I even have music associated with people like after I I divorced my ex, I selected a piece of music that kind of summed up the relationship and it in and let's just say, French.
Speaker 6: Lovely. How about the rest of you, any any grieving rituals.
Speaker 1: Or well, I'm I'm right along with Mick as far as that, because nothing gives me more inspiration or calms me down than classical music, especially opera. I mean, it is just it gets right into my soul and it makes grieving a lot better for me, and I feel wonderful when it's happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what particular music just uh Tasca.
Speaker 1: Mario is sitting down and waiting for Taska to come and he's writing the letter and then she comes in and it just explodes with glory. They're both talking about their love and going on after the pretended shooting in that and it just it just.
Speaker 3: It's heartbreaking, isn't.
Speaker 1: It it's heartbreaking. I do know what's going to happen, but it helps my grieving. You know they're grieving in another way than I am. But it's even I had a nervous breakdown. The only thing that helped me. I had no libido, couldn't care about anything. The only thing I cared about was opera. It's what kept me going.
Speaker 4: I remember when my partner passed away. It was the most confusing time of my life because I had to grow up. And I remember getting songs that I was listening but I didn't realize I was that would just like say something speak to where you are, and all of a sudden you just break down crying. I've had to sit on the fry side a freeway doing it because I didn't know how to grieve. I thought I'd have my black leather gloves, my big hat and go, but society said, no, you don't do that. It was, it was. It was quite a journey. I finally did go to a support group to learn how to just live, and it got me off of me and got me helping another lady who had her son's remain sitting on the fireplace or something, and I told her I says, that's just death. It's just death hanging in your house. Get it out. And we actually went out and did the ship thing with him, and she says, this is really good. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I says, yeah, it helped me too, to get through it with you. You know, that reminds me of a story about funerals. This is told to me. This family they were burying one son who had died from HIV and what at the other brother. It's who's key came in? Drag?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: How wild?
Speaker 3: Now that's current that Wow.
Speaker 6: What a way to hunt way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh that's awesome.
Speaker 6: That's beautiful.
Speaker 4: I bet he wore flats. It's hard to work at the stabilize.
Speaker 6: Those hills are a lot.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I think he went into his mother's closet. This was a very wealthy family in Beverly Hill and I can't say the name, but she had she was a former model, and she had an entire room. You know how those danger they had walking closet, you know, Nicole, it's all of that.
Speaker 6: Yes, Bob, do you have any grieving rituals?
Speaker 5: I become very quiet, very inner focused, and very analytical, and I try to look at what the cause of the grief as a problem to be solved and how that fits into a larger picture, and to understand more what's happening to what has happened to this piece of that larger picture, and just kind of work it out mentally until I reach a point that I'm satisfied I've solved the problem and I can move on.
Speaker 3: Well, actually, he can get quite emotional, so you.
Speaker 6: Know, he cries, he'll cry.
Speaker 3: He also knocks down doors with a hammer.
Speaker 5: So just there are too okay, perfect Brandon, Yes, to wrap us up. Huh.
Speaker 1: What's been your silver lining for being a part of the queer community?
Speaker 2: The permission, the invitation, and the embracing of being able to be my full self? You know, I think that there are as a queer person, you're really given the runway to be an express how you want to. And that is not always true when you're outside of the queer community.
Speaker 6: There's a lot more boxes.
Speaker 2: And in the queer community, I felt like I've been given permission to break the boxes and live, like to build my own blueprint as opposed to follow following a societal one. And so that has been a gift that I will continue to honor and perish.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, thanks so much for sharing. It's so wonderful. Thanks for being with, Thank you for listen.
Speaker 2: Can I say before I go that this I was so excited to come here. I know that the videos that y'all do and the content that you create is always so fun and joyful, but it also has the greatest impact being like we started this conversation talking about representation, and so to be able to see the four of you, to see your friendship means so much to me and so many people. And so thank you for for being for being out loud, for using your platform, for bringing joy to all of our hearts.
Speaker 6: It is just it's really healing in a way that I won't.
Speaker 2: Be able to fully explain to you, and you may not fully be able to feel, but just know that you are healing so many people by just being so thank you.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Thank your friend and keep up your work. Thank you. I will talk to you so.
Speaker 4: Love you.
Speaker 3: Is this a rap?
Speaker 4: We're done by?
Speaker 3: It's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 4: Thank you to everyone who tuned into our first season of the show.
Speaker 1: Silver Linings is a production of Iheart's Ruby Studios and The Outspoken Network. We're your hosts Bill Lyons.
Speaker 4: Robert Breeves, Mick Peterson, and Jesse Martin.
Speaker 1: Our executive producer is Sierra Kaiser. The episode was written by Ryan Amador with post production by Eric Zeiler. Our theme music was composed by Max Heirschanau, with audio direction and design by Matt Stillo. And don't forget to rate and review the show whenever you get your podcasts. Thanks for listening, all.
Speaker 5: Right, bye now bye bye bye bye bye bye eighty five
Speaker 1: Mm hmm