Speaker 1: It was one day no one cared what I did, no one cared what I wore, what I looked like, what I said, and then all of a sudden, that was all anyone would talk about. I think back to some of the things that I said in interviews, Yeah, I hate comments, don't bother me, and I was like, you've went home and cried all night because of it. While filming season three, our entire family was going through a lot. It's hard to watch back those episodes. I say, I don't know to everything, but the thing is I don't know who I am.
Speaker 2: Before we jump into this episode, i'd like to invite you to join this community to hear more interviews that will help you become happier, healthier, and more healed. All I want you to do is click on the subscribe button. I love your support. It's incredible to see all your comments and we're just getting started. I can't wait to go on this journey with you. Thank you so much for subscribing. It means the world to me.
Speaker 1: The best selling author on Post the number one healthy well inness podcast.
Speaker 2: Purpose with Jay Shetty. Hey everyone, welcome back to On Purpose. Thank you so much for choosing us every single week to become happier, healthier, and more healed. You know, my goals just to sit down with fascinating people, learn about their stories, their journeys, their challenges, so that we can all learn and grow together, so that we can start to make better decisions, choices, and have insights in our life that help us along the way. I've found that studying people's lives and studying people's stories has helped me so much in my own life, and I'm hoping that through on Purpose, we can do that together. Today's guest is someone that I've never had the joy of sitting down with one on one on the show, So I'm very, very excited to invite the superstar crown the reigning Queen of TikTok by The New York Times, Charlie Demilio one of the first on the platform to hit over one hundred million followers and is the current leading female TikTok creator, now one of the most recognizable faces online, in print, and on screen with our families Hulu docu series The Demilio Show in May of twenty twenty one, and Charlie and Dixie launched their own clothing brands social tourist. Charlie recently starred in Prada's global ad campaign at the end of twenty twenty two, and in June of twenty twenty two, Charlie launched her first ever Fragrance venture Born Dreamer alongside her family. In May of twenty twenty three, they launched Damelio foot where, under Demelio Brands, Charlie's influence on social media's and her coveted spots on all the major lists. And I want to welcome to the show, Charlie Demilio. Charlie, thank you for doing this. Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been really looking forward to this because I want to say this to you, because I don't think I've ever talked about this with you, but you come up in more conversations or when I'm doing keynotes on stages, and it's really funny because I kind of think of you randomly and often I want to share this to you. I've never said this to you, and it comes up because I have watched your journey from Afar as everyone has for such a long time, and I've really deeply admired just how phenomenally skilled old you are at what you do. I think you're a phenomenal dancer. You're an incredible performer, and if I'm ever presenting or talking to anyone about social media or digital or whatever is, I always bring your name up because I think you're one of those people that obviously got your moment on TikTok when it took off and everything, but I feel like there were just years and years of practice and hard work that went behind it that we don't always see. And I just wanted to share that with you as we kick off today that I think it's incredible and I think you've been practicing for this life that you live since you were like four years old, and so I always try and highlight that, and so I don't know, I think of you in that context often.
Speaker 1: And so no, thank you, I mean I appreciate that. I think when it comes to social media, it's very easy to get on yourself and say it was just luck. But to hear that from someone like you as definitely you know, puts it into a different perspective that I don't always let myself feel, which is really nice.
Speaker 2: Good, I'm glad, Thank you. Do you still kind of kid yourself and just say it's luck to yourself. Now after all these years, do you still feel that way?
Speaker 1: I do, and I think that, you know, having that in the back of my mind definitely keeps me a little bit more humble and helps me. You know, this wasn't something that I was asking for looking for, but I mean, I've all, like my entire life, I've been filming videos, whether it's like I was ten and look at how I do this or this, how do my makeup? Like always just making videos. That was always something I loved and I never shared them with anyone until TikTok. So it's really it's crazy to think back about those times and how they probably really did help me get to where I am now.
Speaker 2: I love what you said that luck, or viewing your success as luck, helps you stay humble. I think that's such a beautiful trait and quality to aspire for and to always practice. At the same time, though, I'm guessing that when you see it through the lens of luck, sometimes it can affect your self esteem or self worth because you're like, oh, I just got lucky, and maybe I don't deserve this. I don't know if those thoughts come up at the same time as trying to stay humble. There's this side of like low self esteem that we all go through.
Speaker 1: I mean absolutely, I think it's hard not to feel that way, especially A lot of my journey was everyone telling me that I didn't deserve it, kind of feeding into that, and it's starting to really affect, you know, how I think about myself. Do I deserve anything? Why am I where I am? I don't do anything special. I'm not different than anyone. There's millions of people that would probably be better at my job than I am, But somehow it's me, And you know, I kind of try and separate myself online from who I am in person. I always like to say, it's Charlie Demilio whoever Elsie's and Charlie who I am when it's just me, And you know, you really have to appreciate the things that you work hard for, because I feel like those are the moments where I really do feel proud of myself, because I don't always even when achieving these amazing things, I'm like, well, it's not really me. It's the people that are watching me that got me here, you know, like they could have done this to anyone, But when it comes to things like Dancing with the Stars or hosting the Kids Choice Awards, like those were two of probably my favorite accomplishments of mine because I really felt like I had to work for that and it was just moments where I really truly felt proud of myself and I don't feel like that very often.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad that you shared that with us, because Yeah, it's interesting, isn't it. It's like the reason why you did so well on both of those is because you've done it for years and years and years. Yeah, sometimes you need to have a moment where you're working really hard on one specific thing so that you can see it. How long did it take you to make this awareness of like there's Charlie Dmillio and then there's Charlie, Like, how long did it take you to figure that out for yourself and to even explain it in that way?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it definitely took me a while. I always knew in the back of my mind. It was like I would do certain brand deals or ads and they'd have this creative and I'd do it and I put on this like super happy smiley, like obviously catering to a younger audience, which I love doing, but that's not who I am at heart, and I think growing up and I started this when I was what fifteen years old, and then I was turning seventeen and eighteen and I was, you know, getting tattoos and I would curse and everyone would be like, whoa, this is crazy, and I was like, this is what I do in my normal day to day life, Like this is who I am. So I really just had to the version that people don't like isn't even me, you know, it's what they nitpick out of certain things that I do. And I think coming to that realization honestly over the past few months, maybe this past year, I think has been probably one of the most helpful things to not let what other people say get to me.
Speaker 2: I empathize and feel so compassionate for how difficult that could be to be that young and have millions and millions and millions of people having an opinion on everything from what you wear to what you say, to what you do and who you date and just everything right, Like, I can't imagine being your age and being put under a magnifying glass like in the way you have, which I think is also very unique because I think TikTok put people under a magnifying glass in a way that it's also never been done before. It's like a first time thing. So what has changed about then? Fifteen and you're only eighteen now, so it's only been three years, right, nineteen nineteen. Now you're nineteen now, so it's been four years. Yeah, in those four years, what has What would you say is the biggest change that you've seen in who you thought you were then and who you are now?
Speaker 1: I think I just you know, I was in high school. It was one day no one cared what I did, No one cared what I wore, what I looked like, what I said, and then all of a sudden, that was all anyone would talk about. It happened so fast, and I put up a shield to kind of protect myself, which helped me but also hurt me a little bit because it was hard to get out of that shell. And I mean, I think back to some of the things that I said in interviews like three years ago, Yeah, hate comments, don't bother me, And I was like, you went home and cried all night because of it. Like I would say things to make people think one thing, but inside I was very sheltered, and I went through a pretty big stage for maybe like the first two years where I always looked out for the best in people, and I got myself hurt a lot. You know, people wanted to make videos together and they would invite me over for collapse and then they would all hang out and I wouldn't be invited, and I would I would be so confused, and the excuse was always You're too young or you know whatever, and I was like, you guys are just hanging out at a house, Like how am I too young for that? But not too young to have in all your videos? And it took a lot of you know, distancing myself, a lot of talking to my family, going to therapy, you know, figuring out who I am outside of anyone watching, to be a little bit more content with myself and understand that I don't need to have all of these people like me. You know, I'm fine on my own. I love being by myself. I'm fine with the friends that I have in my corner that I've had for years, or the new friends that come into my life that actually love me for me, And you know, there's nothing that I can do. I feel like now I'm kind of at a point where, you know whatever, Like that's kind of my motto. I always am just like all right, okay, I don't know, I don't care, and focusing more on the things that really matter to me. Like it sounds so lame because I constantly talk about my dogs like they're my children, but literally like spending the day with them, taking care of them, my responsibility being them and not myself. I don't have to worry about work or anything. They don't care if I have a million followers or none, like, I don't know, just focusing more on the things that actually matter, the fans that actually love me no matter what, like have been there for years or brand new, and actually like who I am and not just what I put out.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, it's and it's so hard because so much of what you put out is you or is a part of you. Yeah, And it can feel like the biggest part of you because it gets the biggest response. Yeah, And it's it's almost confusing in your brain to be like when you're with your dogs, it's a small part of your life where there's a small amount of people there, but it's actually a bigger, yeah, bigger importance significance.
Speaker 1: To you, because I have so much life that no one sees. I have so much about me that no one knows about, and I'm fine with that, you know. I don't feel like I need to change myself for anyone because I've I did that for so long and it was so exhausting and I worked so much while being so burnt out and just wanting to kind of get away from everyone, that now what I want to do is definitely a lot more important than what everyone's telling me to do.
Speaker 2: And that's really tough. Like when I've spoken to even like young musicians and music stars, it's like most people get their break when they're like fifteen years old or something like that, and naturally everyone's older than you. And as a fifteen year old, you're used to having parents or people older than you telling you what to do. And so whether it's your manager or whether it's your agent or your team or whatever it is, they book you, and then you're doing what they say. Because you're doing what the adults say, it's kind of normal. And now that you're an adult yourself, you're kind of like trying to take that back. What was it that you felt you did that wasn't you, or that you felt you were doing because the adults are saying to do it? Or what were those things that you felt like you moved away from who you wanted to be or who you were.
Speaker 1: I think I, you know, for quite some time, to just do whatever anyone said to make them like me, whether it was how I dressed or how I talked, or what I said anything what type of videos I make. I was listening to every comment, whether it was like I hate that hoodie, well never wearing that again, like this person doesn't like it, and dictating every decision I made through what other people said. And I mean for a long time, the beginning, I was only surrounded by a bunch of adults and twenty five year olds and all of this stuff. And they would always say how mature I am. But I was just trying to fit in, you know. I was still in high school still, like you know, you want to be with the cool kids. So the people that I thought was cool, I would do anything to be like them, you know, dressed different every day, or or speak about specific things, or try to sound cool or change myself. And it's just so not worth it, because why am I going to do that? And how long am I going to do that? Until they realize that it's like, okay, we get it, like you like whatever, we like, you don't have to do that, you know. It's just I think it's it's so unfair to yourself to have to do that all the time.
Speaker 2: That I love that you use that word unfair. Yeah, it's almost like it's just unfair to do that to yourself. That that really hit me and resonated with me because it's it's almost like you're just doing yourself such a big disservice by molding yourself into what you think someone wants. And that was just a thought they had on one day, in one second, in one.
Speaker 1: Car, and then and then you have no idea who you are. I had to sit with myself and say, I have no idea what I like. I have no idea how I want to dress. I have no idea how I want to do my makeup, or what's my favorite song or what's my favorite movie. I just I don't know, like I do not know anything about myself. And my answer to every question was I don't know. And I actually had to talk to my therapist about this, and I was like, I say, I don't know to everything. But the thing is, I really don't know. I don't know who I am. I feel like all I know is what anyone tells me to do. And I mean, it's it's a really weird feeling because how do you get out of that? How do you find out what you like? But you really just have to try things, get out of your house. I was not leaving my house ever, Like I would go through these phases where I don't want anyone to talk to me, I don't want to do anything. I just want to stay in my room all day, watch TV, like not get ready, nothing. And I've been really low a couple times. And I think this pastime that I got really low was when I was like okay. My parents even said they were like, we're not gonna let you. We're not going to sit here and watch you rot in bed all day and not do anything, and just like, we can't do that. That's so unfair, and especially when you don't live with your parents and they're noticing that it's an issue. Yeah, So I had to kind of really dig deep and ask the questions that I didn't ask for so long for whatever reason. Maybe I didn't want to know the answer. It was too much or scary to figure it out and be your own person. But I think it's just so much easier, and.
Speaker 2: I think it's also just you know, being it's really hard when you're living your own journey. And then you realize as you're getting older and as you are maturing, as everyone does, you're looking going I can't really expect my fifteen year old self to know all this anyway, like I think you know for me when I think about being back to fifteen, and I didn't know anything about myself and I wasn't dealing with the pressures you dealt with or the challenges that you had. And sure I had different challenges and different stresses, as I'm sure everyone does has their own thing. But the point is that as a fifteen year old self, you don't really know what you like anyway, because it is true you are trying to be with the cool kids, or you are trying to be like the other people, and you're getting involved in all sorts of things just for people to give you approval and validate you, and then all of a sudden it's amazing that you're now coming to that point where you're like, I want to know, And I think what I love about what you said is and it's because I said this often in my books and my work, is that knowing what movies you like, what food do you like, what songs you like? That is the beginning of self awareness. Like, it's that basic. It's not this complicated, deep thing that it begins with. It really starts with those things. It starts with these really simple everyday choices that we all have to make. So I want to ask you simple everyday choices. What is it now that Charlie likes? Like, what is it that Charlie has discovered that not Charlie d'milio, but Charlie enjoys and appreciates that. What are the joys of life that your dogs obviously mentioned? Yeah, but what are some of the things that brings you joy that you feel you're discovering for the first time?
Speaker 1: Things that bring me joy? I love cleaning. That's something that sounds so lame but is so therapeutic.
Speaker 2: I love what about cleaning? Because I want to know. I want to know now. The way you said that was so much genuineness I'm like, what about cleaning.
Speaker 1: Honestly, to me, it's just therapeutic, like put something on my TV, clean my room, organize my stuff, make it how I like it, you know, because there can be certain things that, oh, well, you know this is cool. I guess I like this, But what picture do I want out? What am I proud of and want presented? How do I like my bed made? How do I like my chargers to be set up? It's like such minusculed things that I think makes such a difference, and it also makes you feel productive and makes me feel like I have my stuff together. And I mean, as someone who struggles with obsessive compulsive disorder, that's one of my like big things where I feel like when I'm doing that, I'm almost clearing my head. So I don't know, it's just something that I genuinely enjoy doing and I think is super fun. Like this morning, because I've had such bad jet lag, I was like, Okay, I can either try to go to sleep for the next three hours or get up and clean the kitchen and play with the dogs. And I was like, all right, let's just get up and do it. You know, I'll get up in five minutes and we'll start to do this stuff. You order your coffee and do all the things that you need to do to feel together. And that made me happy and I was really proud I did that, and I started my day on a great note and now I feel great. So it's just like little things that I just I find so much fun in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean the team will attest to this too. I'm like addicted to organizing shelves and bookshelves. So I'll take you to the house afterwards, and I have, like I have this bookshelf in there that I personally curated, like everything, and like even if my wife moves one book, I'll notice it, yeah, and I'll be like, where's that book going. But it's like I get that, like organizing spaces and creating spaces to be spaces you want to live in and sit in. Like even this room right now, Like I curated it because I want to be in this space and I want it to feel comfortable for my guess and for myself, and I want it to also spark curiosity or whatever it may be. And I think it's interesting how all these tiny things, when you're intentional about them, they can spark so much joy without trying that hard.
Speaker 1: And I mean it might be a little bit of like the very few parts of my life that I genuinely get to control. You know, it's not up to anyone else. It's not you know, do it this way or wear this or show this product. It's like, I just get to do this and make it how I want, the way I want it, on my own schedule, and I'm fully in control of this task start to finish, which you know, Yeah, it's a way to deal with being a little bit of a control free Yeah.
Speaker 2: I couldn't be more excited to share something truly special with all you TA lovers out there. And even if you don't love tea, if you love refreshing, rejuvenating, refueling sodas that are good for you, listen to this RADI and I poured our hearts into creating Juny sparkling tea with adaptogens for you because we believe in nurturing your body and with every sip you'll experience calmness of mind, a refreshing vitality, and a burst of brightness to your day. Juni is infused with adaptogens that are amazing natural substances that act like superheroes for your body to help you adapt to stress and find balance in your busy life. Our super five blend of these powerful ingredients include green tea, Ushwa, Ganda, acirolla, cherry, and Lion's Made mushroom and these may help boost your metabolism, give you a natural kick of caffeine, combat stress, pack your body with antioxidants, and stimulate brain function even better. Juni has zero sugar and only five calories per can. We believe in nurturing and energizing your body while enjoying a truly delicious and refreshing drink. So visit Drinkjuni dot com today to elevate your wellness journey and use code on Purpose to receive fifteen percent off your first order. That's drink Jauni dot com and make sure you use the code on Purpose. No, you're right. I think that's such a great point. It's rare that we have that much certainty and control over anything in life, and if we don't do it at home, we're going to potentially try and do it everywhere else where we can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great point. What else would you say that you've discovered about your likes and dislikes, Like what was something that you thought you liked before or someone had told you to like before, and now you're like, I actually change now, Like that's not how I feel about it.
Speaker 1: Ooh, there's definitely a few. I'd say. One thing that I started to specifically like my own way was music. I you know, would listen to whatever's popular. And I feel like now I really only listen to the songs that I genuinely enjoy listening to where I relate to, and even if it's the most random playlist ever, where it's like rap, sad music, country music, like all in one, I enjoy listening to that, and I don't have to listen to whatever everyone else is listening to. And I also can if I want to, If I want to listen to whatever's the top one hundred, I'm gonna do that, you know, even in front of other people, Like I can play what I like and I'll take suggestions and not just what's your favorite song, Well, whatever one's the top one right now, Like you know, having that to myself is also something really nice.
Speaker 2: Have you discovered any new artists or anyone recently that you're like someone that maybe we haven't heard of, or someone that maybe is less heard of that you like.
Speaker 1: Well, my favorite artist his name is Pimstones. He doesn't make music anymore, which is really really sad, but he's my favorite artist ever. He's made like some of the most incredible songs I've ever heard, and they're just so beautiful to listen to. And one of them has been my favorite song for a while. Actually, someone at my dance studio when I was like probably thirteen, had a solo to it Wow. And ever since then, I've been obsessed. And he only has like two songs out on Spotify, but I will listen to the two of them just on repeat forever and ever and ever because they're so good.
Speaker 2: Wow Wow. Yeah, Yeah, I love it. I'll check it out. Only two songs on Spotify, Yeah, Jamestones, Alright, I'm gonna go check it out after this interview. No, I love that, and I think it's really refreshing and it must feel so good. I can see it your face. So you just seem so like genuinely happy talking about the things that spark joy, that bring you that sense of comfort and ease and make life that much more. What if someone right now is listening and they're like, Charlie, I'm struggling with what you just said. Like, I find it hard to be open and honest about the things I like because people make fun of me or ridicule me, or maybe people tell me that's not cool or whatever. It is, Like, what has slowly given you the confidence to get there? And what do you think people need to hear to almost feel confident in themselves to say that?
Speaker 1: I think it just starts with giving yourself permission to be open with yourself, because it really, like, as much as it sucks to hear like it is all in your head, you have to work on yourself talk. And I think positive self talk is something that is so often overlooked because everyone's so overly critical of themselves. You see your face, you know, in the reflection of your phone, you're in pictures, background of photos. You're like, oh, I hate this one, but this one posted it, and I can't do anything about it. You know, you have to. Once you start speaking in a more positive tone about yourself and the people around you, the easier it is to feel more positive, you know, instead of I hate the way I look today, you know what, my hair is doing something different and I kind of like it, you know, starting with those little little things that sound so so like it's so tiny, who even cares? You know, it's in my head. It's not affecting anyone, but it's affecting yourself. So I think just the more you can be positive and open with yourself and not so overly critical of yourself. If you like a movie and no one else likes that movie, doesn't mean it's a bad movie and you can't like it. You can still enjoy watching it, and Okay, we just have different opinions. That's normal, and they probably like stuff I don't like, but that doesn't take away from what they like. It's just, you know, the way you talk to yourself is so important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're so right, and it's so subtle, like those thoughts as you just said, Like I love that switch that you just made between I don't like how my hair looks today, or oh my head's doing something different today and that's interesting or it looks cool, whatever it may be. There's an amazing book for those who are more interested in what Charlie's talking about right now. It's called Psycho cybernetics, and it's this whole idea of how our thoughts completely define our reality and how as you just said, studies showed that we have sixty to eighty thousand thoughts per day, and eighty percent of them are negative and repetitive. So we're often having the same thought, which is like I don't like how I look or I don't like how my hair looks, or I don't like this about me or whatever it may be. And you keep having that thought, oh yeah, and then it just spirals and then that's all you feel about yourself, and then it becomes your reality. So that book really helped me. It's an old school classic in this space, but it convinces you that you can change your thoughts and it's not like you're lying to yourself, right, Like, I want to address this for people who think that positive This is not about positive thinking. This is not like looking at yourself and going I'm amazing and I'm special. Like that stuff doesn't work either. Yeah, but it's almost just tweaking your thoughts slightly to being How do you change from being critical to just being curious? And that little switch can change everything exactly.
Speaker 1: And I think It's so important because getting to the point where you have a more positive self talk, it's it's not linear. You know, you're gonna have dips and bad days and good days and bad months and good months. You just that's that's how it works. But I notice when I start to see myself slip and realize I've been super critical of myself and you know what, I've had such a bad week. That's probably why I'm feeling so insecure, and maybe I'm taking it out on other people or I don't want to leave my house because I've critiqued everything about the way I look and not focus on one positive thing at all, you know it. Really that's when I noticed, when I started to dip again, how important it is to really focus on being kind to yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I hope people really hear that, because I think the reason why we're hard on others is because we're so hard on ourselves. And the reason we're so hard on ourselves is because we're so hard on others. And it's almost like if we were just able to be kinda to the stranger or our friend, our family member, then I think we'd actually be able to be more kind to ourselves, and.
Speaker 1: Even like in friendships and relationships, I think it's important if you're telling jokes back and forth to each other and maybe they're like, you know how you joke with your friends, Like sometimes it can be a little mean. Yeah, you know, I've done the why don't we try and just be really really nice to each other for a little bit, Let's really focus on bringing each other up. And I've actually had that conversation before and I think it's something that sounds almost corny, like let's be super nice to each other, but it really is helpful to have the people that you love. And maybe you say it when you're a little bit down, so you know, you're not asking for compliments, You're just asking for a more positive environment around you. And I think that there's something so special about that, and the people around you that love you will definitely be open to it, you know. And I think that there's also something in that the people that you have around you every day you need to try and build up with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's get I get that people find that hard. Because I'm also in England, we banter a lot, and so I'm banter a lot on my team with my wife, Like, if people see me and my wife together, they're like, you guys, hate you too, literally because we'd go so hard and even my friends. I just came back from London for my sister's wedding and I was there with all my boys and I was so we're so intense with each other, and that's how close we are, Like the more intense we could be. But you're right that sometimes, and it's really interesting because when you get into a one on one with a friend, they'll say how much they need the opposite. Like when you're with a group of people and you're all bantering, it's great, but then when you're one on one with someone, you hear how someone's like, you know, I need a bit of encouragement, right, Yeah, I need to know that you think I'm doing good at this or whatever it may be.
Speaker 1: So and also like, don't be afraid to be the person that is going to text all the people around you every time you see them do something, I'm so proud of you, like you looked amazing at this or this was so cool that you did this. Like be that person, be the annoying person. You know, I wish I did it more, and I should, and that's something that I'll take into the of the day. But this morning even I had a conversation with my mom and she's got back into modeling. She's in Louisiana right now, so I haven't seen her in a couple of days, and she was sending me photos and I didn't answer my phone for a little bit, just because I've been jet lagged and crazy, and I was like, geez, like, if I sent her something, I would want to hear back how proud she is of me. So let me just go over the top, because sometimes you need to be that person, especially if that's the energy that you're trying to get back. You can't get that without giving it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well said, And how's that been, because obviously that's a big part of it, right, especially with the new new docu series as well, like the new season, like this idea of your whole family is now in the spotlight. Yeah, And it's almost like people just lump everyone together, especially when it's a big family and everyone's got exciting things happening. And you know, I've obviously interviewed your whole family before, so I've sat with them and it's wonderful and at the same time, it's hard to find your own space and call of your own identity, right, Like that's challenging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that the family dynamic is something that is really really confusing, especially for me. I'm the youngest, So you spend all your time trying to impress your older sister. You spend all your time trying to prove something to your parents, even when they're already proud of you. You know, it's really confusing. You don't know where you fit in. I'm like, I live with my sister. I don't live with my parents, but you know, I still want the same support that I got when I lived with them. But I can't just go up to their room anytime I'm having a bad day. They don't know what's going on with me all the time when we're working together and on a shoot. You know, I hate to say this, but sometimes they want more stuff of me or whatever it is, or we want this for the family, and then they'll you know, expect extra from me, and it's like, well, where do I fit in because I'm the youngest, But sometimes they want the most and will you know, it gets the point where it's like, well they they're not there for me, and it's like, well, you know what, everyone's doing their own stuff. Like, everyone has their own stuff going on. Dixie has music, my mom's modeling, my dad's doing business stuff, Like there's so much going on for all of us at the same time. It can get hard to celebrate every single achievement when there's just four of us all doing different things, all at the same time, running from place to place, traveling. You know, we're still figuring that out now. I think while filming season three, our entire family was going through a lot, like mentally and with work. So it's hard to watch back those episodes because we were just all in such a different place and so confused at where we all stand and taking it out on each other, which I think is probably the biggest regret I have through all of this with my family, is like we need to have each other's backs through everything, because you know, through it all, you work with people, you make friends, whatever, you have to have family or people that you've kind of adopted as family that are there to support you when there's no cameras or when there's no likes or followers anything like. You need that and the hardest time for all of us was when we didn't have each other to lean on, and that is really really shown in season three, and like even when I see clips, I'm like, I don't want to see it at all, Like that was such a hard time for all of us, and it's so embarrassing at times to see that, like people posting it, reposting it, edits of it, edits of times where I was like really really really struggling and hearing people She's so dramatic, but you hear a tenth of what was acting actually going on, you know, So it's it's a lot or things are you know, maybe I was upset about one thing, but in the show it looks like I'm upset about something else. It's like a whole bunch of stuff that's just I don't even want to pay attention to it.
Speaker 2: It must be so challenging, like I've always I've always thought about it, like having a show where every one of your feelings and emotions is being documented and then broadcast sounds like the most challenging thing ever.
Speaker 1: It's a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like even just that as a premise, and I know it's been around forever, and you know, Famili has been followed forever, and there's this format has been around forever. But I'm like it doesn't get easier because of that, because as humans, we love to watch drama. We love to watch the gossip. We want to see the scoop. The show has like twists and changes, and you know, characters that are upset at each other, and you have all of this going on, but then behind all of that there's a real human with emotions, yeah, trying to figure it all out. Have you been able to separate like yourself and then the character on the show too, Like do you feel or do you feel that's just so interrelated that you're like in.
Speaker 1: Ways, yes for sure, but like people don't realize when you're filming. Sometimes you forget you have a mic on and you say something and you're like, I really wasn't that deep, Like, yeah, it's not that important. Sometimes you're really really upset or you're maybe mentally struggling a little bit, and you don't have a reason, because sometimes you don't need a reason. Sometimes you just feel really bad and that happens, so you go through these well why are you well, what was happening? You know? Was it this person's fault and it's like, well, I don't know. I was just really feeling bad and I didn't have a handle on it and I had to film, so you know, it's like I don't get a choice of how I how I go into filming. You know, I can try and go in with a positive mindset, but after a couple hours, you know, like I'm tired, and you see how maybe I was really feeling that day. Maybe it's nothing that was at all in the show, like people watching have no idea, but it is so many real emotions that it's really really hard to separate the two. But hopefully, you know, if another season happens, I'll be able to do that.
Speaker 2: And why did you feel there in season three that it got harder with family than easier, Like you'd hope that season three, like maybe it easier, But why do you think it got hard? Is it just that everyone's more busy now or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we were just all going through so much individually and constantly taking it out on each other. And you know that's building blocks to working with your family. No family that works together is perfect all the time. And if you say you are, you are so wrong, especially when you know, we talk about it all the time, like family is everything, but when you're in those moment where you're like, I'm pissed at this person in my family because of maybe it's something stupid, But to me, it's like it feels like a lot. It feels like the entire world on my shoulders for maybe something that isn't that big of a deal, but it feels like that to me. You know, it's just we were all going through so much at the same time that there was no way that these cameras weren't going.
Speaker 2: To catch it. It sounds like even even though obviously you said that, you know, when you're a kid, you still want your family to take care of you. And obviously now you're in a position where obviously you take care of yourself. You live with your sister. But what would you say, has been the biggest skills you've learned in how to take care of yourself when you don't have your family to rely on.
Speaker 1: I don't even know. I feel like that's something that is so confusing to me. Still. I feel so independent because you know, I'm traveling without any of my friends or family. I'm on these big work calls, like I have no training for this. I didn't even finish high school. Like, I don't know how to do this. I don't know if I'm making the right decision. I don't know if this is, you know, good or bad. I still call my dad all the time and I'm like, Okay, but seriously, what do you think about this? Because I like, this sounds not that cool to me, but apparently it's really like I have no idea how this works. And you know, the more I do it, the more I get comfortable and learn. But I missed so much of the normal growing up, going to college and then coming back for Thanksgiving, Christmas or whatever it is that I kind of had to like race to figure it out because it was one day you're a kid and you're in high school and you have no responsibilities, and now you have people that are working for you and you're responsible for them, and you're responsible for everything that you do and you're not allowed to mess up. But I'm sixteen. I don't know how to not mess up. I don't know anything, Like how am I supposed to learn that without having these real life experiences. So I think the more as time goes on and the more I'm put in these situations where I have to be independent and a grown up. You know, the easier it gets, but it's still something that I really have to figure out in each individual situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm thirty six and I still don't know how not to mess up. It's just because I think what we don't realize is you've got yourself and your identity, like you as an individual, which is always changing. So whether you're thirty six or whether you're nineteen, you're still dealing with that. On top of that, you've now got the industry is always changing, so like the platforms are changing, and the business is changing, and there's social whatever, all of that's always changing. So you've never done it before, and most people have never done it before. Yeah, So no matter how smart someone was five months ago, everything's changed and so everything's being updated. And then on top of all of that, you've got everyone around you who's constantly changing and growing and evolving, and so it's so hard to ever feel you ever have a handle on all areas of your life. Yeah, and so definitely as a sixteen year old now a nineteen year old, Like, it's it's so much to learn quickly, and I think you had your you've recently had your prom, or you did your prom here right like you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had, I had two. We did one on the show. Yeah, and then I went to my high school prom at my hometown. Okay, cool, Yeah, which is really fun and like the bit of senior year that I got to have, which was really nice because I didn't get that at all, and a lot of kids didn't during COVID and everything. So I'm definitely not the only person feeling like there's a lot of freshman sophomore year of college, like people didn't get that. People didn't get that very very integral part of growing up, or whether it's your first job, like this was my first job. I had never had any true responsibility before, and I don't know how, and there's no rulebook to say, well, this is how you be an adult. So it's kind of just figuring it out and messing up along the way. But when you mess up and you have so many people telling you how you messed up and how that's horrible and you're doing all of these things wrong, you're like, yeah, I know, but this is all I know how to do. You kind of just every day learn a little bit and just continue to do your best because that's all you can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And and do you know what, it's interesting because we're hearing that from you, and I think everyone's listening right now is going that's me too, Like, you know, I think it doesn't matter how old you are, or how wise you are, or how smart, or whether you have your own business or you don't, or we're just all feeling that way because everyone is just trying to do their best, and sometimes my best is not good enough for everyone else, but that's all they could give. And I feel that for anyone and everyone today, And so I think what you're saying resonates or feels very relatable, at least even to me. And I'm sure everyoneho's listening is thinking that as well. Like I'm just trying, yeah, And that's like.
Speaker 1: The normal human experience. And I definitely get on myself about it, but everyone's just doing their best. Like my parents are still figuring out who they are, you know, it's ever changing. Like my grandmother before she passed, started to get a handle on all of the social media stuff and like how to watch me? She would watch YouTube videos or like see see things online articles and she would be like, I heard you did this, and I'm like, well, that's not true. That's just like an article, you know, and she's like, no, no, but I saw it in the press and I was like, yeah, I know, but it's not it's not true. So we had to get a handle on that. But she was changing, and she was evolve with the times, and she didn't know how it worked, and she was you know, she was she was a lot older and still figuring out who she is and well, how do I do this? And and I want to watch you, but I have to discover this whole new thing. Like everyone is learning something, and she was just doing her best to watch her grandchildren on social media, like it's something that is so cute and something that seems so simple to me, like we'll just download TikTok and watch my videos, you know, But to her it was like this whole new thing that she has to learn. And I think once you realize that, literally everyone is just trying to do their best to get to the next day, Like you can be a lot easier on yourself, but also a lot easier on everyone around you.
Speaker 2: And also even just what you said about your grandmother, like learning about how she's reading something that sounds so true and you're like, no, it didn't happen that way. And it's funny because I go through similar things with me and my family. So my parents will read an article about me or whatever, and they'll get really upset for me, or they'll get offended for me because there's something in it that they don't like or whatever it is, or there's something said about the family, which you must have to do with way more than I do, because your family's in the spotlight too. But then they're like, oh, well, why did they say that about the family and this and that? And I'm like, I didn't say anything, like you know, it's almost like I didn't even talk about that. I didn't mention anything. It's just someone coming up with something. Yeah, and I can't imagine for you, Like.
Speaker 1: It's like the clickbait articles where I'm like, I'm telling you that this isn't real. Or she'd like see someone online she's like, I don't like them. Why they said something about you three years ago? Well, they're my friends now She's like, I don't know, I don't like them. It's like, all right, you're gonna think whatever you think, like, that's fine. She was so cute and so so supportive. Like she spent all day on her iPad just watching YouTube compilations of my tiktoks, And every time I see her, she'd be like, you need to stop cursing on the internet.
Speaker 2: Was like, I know, I know, that's so sweet. That's so funny. Yeah, I mean, and you're nice of you not to block out from those videos.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. Even my other grandma, she like still swipes up on all my stories. She's like, you look great, or she'd reply to fan pages like a lot of people's grandparents. I hear this all the time from all the social media kids. It's like my grandma responds to my fan pages thinking they're me. And I'm like, it's so like it's so so ea and I love it. And I mean my grandma, that's my grandma on my dad's side, Like she like she still texts me all the time like do you look so good in this? Or this is so cool? Or anytime I do anything where it's like something that she would like, I'll like send her a photo and you know she's just proud. You know. That's also a good person to talk to that's just like always going to be proud of me. Just really nice to have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely to allow that in. Do you find that you've found, like, I know you're close with Markel, who I love to is such a I love Markel's energy. I've only met him a couple of times, but he's so awesome. Have you found that you've got a good group of friends around you in the industry, Because what I've found is that so I have a bunch of great friends back in London who are like my best friends, like my best man at my wedding, and like my closest friends that I grew up with, and I speak to them like I speak to my best friend like three times a week still because it's so important to me and it and I need it. And at the same time, I also need friends who are in the industry because there are certain things that we can all understand about the industry, kind of like the idea of yeah, don't trust the press on that and whatever, because they already know that because they go through the same stuff. Do you find I know, it sounds like you have a great group of friends back at home. Do you find that you've also found the good friends in the industry that you can kind of compare notes with a bit too and be like, oh, I just went through that and this is how I'm feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. I mean Markel's like he's family to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has shown.
Speaker 1: So much to me just as a person, whether it's talking to me one on one or defending me online, or you know, defending me to the people around him. Like he is someone that every person that meets him has so much amazing things to say about him, and I'm so thankful that I have him in my life, whether it's like we're doing nothing, or we're out with a bunch of people and we want to have a dance party in the middle of the dance floor and it's just us too, like we'll do it, or in the middle of a restaurant, whatever it is, Like, I love that. But I've definitely found a lot of people that are in the industry, and a lot of the friendships that I have I tend to keep quiet about. And a lot of the friendships that I have, I've met them in very, very weird ways, because how am I supposed to meet people? You know, I don't go out super often I don't. I'm not usually around people my own age. Like a lot of my friends that I met, they were actually dancers at the Kid's Choice Awards, and we just clicked and I started to hang out with them, and I really like them, and they're really cool people, and they're in an industry that I'm so fascinated by, and yeah, they do so much similar things to me, but it's also different, and I think that that's really special. And after meeting them, it was really refreshing to be around people my own age and also just have people that are hardworking and determined and not competitive with me at all and just happy to see me happy. And I can have fun with whether we're filming or not. You know. But even like my boyfriend, he's in the industry, and you know, we tend to handle things a little bit differently. But sometimes I have to be like, it's not worth it. You know. We don't have to respond, we don't have to anything, like it's not worth it. I know, you you know me, whether people are saying things about me or people are saying things about a relationship. You know, having each other to kind of navigate that on our own is really nice because it's also what two nineteen year olds in a relationship have their lives together. You know, there's ups and downs, like whether I'm working all the time or he's working all the time, or I'm traveling or whatever. It is, like, there's always so much going on that can so easily put a strain on a relationship. And also just coming into adulthood with two teenagers that have no idea what they're doing and just trying their best, like, you know, it's been really confusing to navigate, but also really refreshing to have someone else there that's like just trying to figure it out day by day.
Speaker 2: It's almost yeah, it's almost easier in one sense because you have someone to bounce it off of. Yeah, as opposed to.
Speaker 1: You're like, am I crazy? Are you crazy? Is this? Like? Is this okay? You know, so it's it's really nice.
Speaker 2: Do you think the hardest part about success and fame is having a relationship in the public eye. Would you say that that's the hardest part in terms of when it comes to your relationships or that's.
Speaker 1: Not Sometimes I feel like, you know, when two people that are in a relationship have like an off week or whatever, there can be the whole. This person didn't like their photo, or they haven't posted together, they're broken up, or this person's starting a rumor. Like even if you too are struggling, that's for you to go through and handle it however's appropriate whether you guys part ways or continue to work through things together. Like no relationship is perfect. Ever, you have moments where so much is going on, Like during Dancing with the Stars, I was dancing seven days a week. I was never home. He was like, I felt like I didn't have a girlfriend, and that was really hard. It was hard on my parents, you know, Like it's a lot, and especially for two young teenagers to go through, Like we don't know how to do this. No one knows how to do this. So we're just doing our best and there's ups and downs, but we work through it. And that's just being a person, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, absolutely, And and just the idea of it is interesting when you've got two people who have crazy lives and have different journeys and have different you know, commitments and family commitments and there's just so much going on. Yeah, to keep up with it, Well, what have you found what has helped you both kind of keep up with each other's schedules in each other's lives because that's not going to change, at least not right now. And so what has helped, what has worked?
Speaker 1: I think, you know, we've obviously talked about this so much, just as a whole was I was just gone for almost two weeks and we were on different time zones, just trying to text and update each other. But it's figuring out what each other needs. You know, if he wants me to keep him updated, then I'll keep him updated because that's what he needs. If if I need him to tell me what's going on in his week so I don't feel left out, like that's totally cool, that's what I need. It's just having that conversation and realizing that people's needs change and adapting with that and not feeling like, well, I don't want to make him upset, like he's working a lot and I know he's super busy, like I need a shoulder to lean on. It's also having the conversation like sometimes I'll literally say I'm really really sensitive right now, like I just need some extra support, and then he knows to well, she needs this right now, Okay, Like that's totally cool. That's two people in a relationship doing whatever they can to make the other person happy, just normal human things and definitely not worrying about what anyone online has to say. It's so not worth it. It really isn't because ninety nine percent of these people are looking for you to respond. Like even today, I woke up to some crazy person talking about me and like the most wildly disrespectful way is like I've really seen a long time. And the thing is, like me and this person were at an event together and this person introduced themselves. I introduced myself, so we tried to be nice. This kid was not nice to me and then went and talked very poorly on me. And Lynnon's like, well, let me call this kid, And I'm like, it's not that big of a deal, Like, it's not that's what he's looking for. Is it taking everything in me not to respond or not to text him. Yeah, but I know if I text him, he's gonna post it, and that's going to be a thing, and he's going to get exactly what he wants me to respond and give in to whatever's story he wants to portray to the people that watch him. It's not it's not my problem, Like I know who I am and that's good enough for me, Like it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's so hard to get to that point, but it's so libering when you do, Like it's so freeing when you realize that where you're like actually not responding is not getting caught up in someone else's yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And like then it just gives people an opportunity to well, if I say this about her, then she's gonna respond. And it's like, I don't have time to respond to every little thing that people have to say about me, And it takes so much. It's so draining to have to see that. And the more you talk about it, the more your fans talk about it, and people in the press talk about it, and it's like for what reason? Because I was angry at this kid who I met once, Like who cares?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's hard when the person you're in a relationship with wants to defend you too, And.
Speaker 1: And he's so sweet. He is so quick to defend me in every way possible, and I just have to be like, it's cool.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 1: I feel like I tell him that all the time because he gets so upset whenever people have something negative to say about me or his family. And I mean I think I definitely told him, like many many times, it's cool, It's totally fine. They're gonna say it no matter what. And even if you respond and are like, well this isn't true because this is this they're not They're they already read it and they think what they think about you. They're not going to change their minds, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're arguing.
Speaker 1: With people that don't care what you have to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's already lost. Like, yeah, it's it's a lose lose situation. Yeah, so moving on is the best thing you can do. Yeah. No, And it's wonderful to be with someone and have that with someone who you know cares about you that deeply. And my wife's like that, Like my wife gets very defensive about me and like can get really activated and she gets really upset for me and whatever maybe, and I I really always appreciate that because I can see that she knows who I am. And that's kind of what it goes back to her. I always said the same thing to him, like I'm just glad I have someone who knows who I am.
Speaker 1: Especially like when someone cares about you like that, to see you upset because of something and not being able to fix the problem because they just want to see you happy. Like I understand how upset that might make you, you know, And I feel bad because sometimes I feel like I drag him into the drama just because of the relationship. But I think knowing that, you know, we have each other and I can tell him like this was this actually really hurt my feelings today, and it was it was a lot. And I just need some comfort and I need you to be by my side, and that's good enough for me, you know.
Speaker 2: Definitely. Definitely, Charlie, what are you excited about right now? Like what's kind of like, you know, you've done so many amazing things, and I feel like this journey that you're saying with your identity of like getting to know yourself better. Yeah, You've done so many things, and I'm guessing some of them you're like, oh, yeah, that was Charlie Demilio and Charlie. It's like, what is Charlie like really excited about or curious about or passionate about, or like what's coming up where you're like, I really want to try that out or learn that or whatever whatever it may be, like open for.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think the first thing that I'm most excited about is my dogs. I have a puppy. I know, I sound so lame.
Speaker 2: I have a puppy. I'm not loving it. I love it. It's cute. It's just like, yeah, you have to open up a dogschuts.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm like in love with her. I am a like older dog who's nine. She's literally me as a dog, and I'm I'm obsessed with her. She's the most adorable dog ever. She's literal human. But then I have this puppy that Lena and I adopted from Nashville, and she's like she was abandoned and she was like it was a horrible story and it really like pulled at my heart strings and I was like, okay, I need to take you home now, like I will take care of you. I love you. And like watching her grow up and being responsible for her, I think has been very refreshing to me because my older dog, she's you know, she's very self sufficient. She's also very lazy. So I'll be up in the morning and she'll wake up two hours later ready to be fed like she is not. She has her own schedule and I love that about her because that's how I raise her. She's a very like laid back dog. I can have all the lights on and she's sleeping, like I love that. But this puppy, you know, you have to train her. You have to It's very specific, and these formative puppy years are so important to who this dog becomes. There's no bad dogs, there's only bad dog owners. So I just like am loving this journey of truly because you know, I got my dog nine years ago. I was ten. I wasn't actually raising her, and now I'm getting the chance to raise a dog, and it's really really exciting and special, and seeing the two of them together is like my favorite thing ever. I think something else that I'm excited for is I have a dance room in my garage, So I love just going down there any time of the day, whether it's four in the morning or one pm, and just like letting go and being open with myself and using movement as therapy and also getting a little bit of a workout in, you know, like being productive. I love that, and probably experimenting more with my style. That's something that I've just recently started to get into. I think Landon and my sister had a lot to do with that, because I love the way that they put together outfits. I think that they both have really good styles and it comes very natural to them, and to me it's a lot harder because I always go for what I know instead of stepping out of the box. But I'm trying. So that's something exciting and it's fun to experiment, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love how personal old as well. Those great there are great choices. Yeah. I love how none of them were career related and like none of them will work related. And that's awesome because I can tell that you've really start carving those two things as separate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, work wise, you know, using my voice more online, I think that, you know, even doing a podcast is something very outside of my comfort zone. A lot of my career has been not talking, so it's been very hard for me to get into using my voice and figuring out what do I want to say, Especially when you don't know yourself, how do you answer questions I don't You can't say I don't know for everything. So that's something that's been special and I've been trying to make more content for my fans and trying to use my voice more and like even little things finishing and get ready with me, which I film fifty of them and I post one of them, like trying to get more into it and go back to the reason why I started social media because I like it and I'm finally at a point where I like it again, which is really refreshing and nice. It doesn't feel like work.
Speaker 2: I love that. And what's been what is that when you say you want to use your voice and even doing the podcast today, like you coming on today and you know, being open and trusting me and trusting this space and just being vulnerable with the idea of like you said, I don't know, I'm trying to figure out who I am, Yeah, and being okay with that, which I think, by the way, for a nineteen year old is completely normal and wonderful and good, and like, I think that's amazing that you want to spend this time in your life figuring out who you are. I think it's the best investment you could ever make. I'm so happy that you're doing it, and I'm hoping that you take your whole audience and community on a journey to do it for themselves because you're going to save so many people from so many stressful twenty to thirty year old journeys. Right like literally, like you can either do it now or you can do it when you're thirty, And if you do it now, it's that you can help so many people. What is that kind of like when you say using your voice, is that the type of journey you want people to go on with you? Or are you? Are you still figuring out what that journey it is that you want people to go on with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as of right now, it's literally just talking talking online, just actually using my voice. You know, for so long it was a song and no words, Like it sounds so little bit just talking. I feel like that's something that is which is so weird, but it's so outside of my comfort zone and I feel so like weird doing it, but has honestly been really refreshing for me because you know, I'm growing up and a part of growing up is being confident with what you have to say and using your words and just talking with you know, a little bit of purpose. And I'm growing up, but also so are all of the people that are watching me, and I think bringing them on that journey of this is literally just what I'm doing. I'm not talking about anything that's really of any importance. Sometimes sometimes I'm just talking. But that's what I need to do to move to this next step of my life, to hopefully talk about something important and talk about what matters to me. I think that that's this is a very integral step of growing up.
Speaker 2: I think that's really smart. I genuinely do. I think that takes a lot of courage to even say that. I don't think it's I don't think it's like insignificant at all. I think it makes a lot of sense to me that in order for you to stand for something, you need to get to a point where you just feel comfortable being open and sharing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so much of the beginning few years of this journey, every time I talked, someone had something to say, and you know, you get canceled every five seconds. Like that was what was happening to me for so long any time I opened my mouth. So I just stop talking. I stopped saying anything that was important to me. I stopped doing anything that was outside of the box that I was put in where I couldn't go wrong if I just didn't do anything, you know. Yeah, and I have opinions, I have thoughts. I have things I like, I have things I don't like. Why can't I just say it? Like? Who is stopping me? The people that actually care what I have to say, They're going to support me even if they disagree. You know, whether it's I really like this outfit and they don't like, that's cool. They respect my opinion. I respect theirs, That's awesome. The people that don't like me, they're not gonna like me no matter what. They didn't like me when I wasn't saying anything. They're not gonna like me now. That's fine. I'm I'm not making my videos for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. When you say you still want to get to know who you are and your identity, what are the pots that you're like, I'm still just trying to figure this out at this point. I'm like really curious about I'm trying to learn about this about myself. But I don't like, what are those parts of yourself?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think a lot of it has to do with the way that I present myself. Whether it's how do I like my makeup done? How do I like to dress? How do I like to look? How do I like to show myself to other people? Not just what is going on at the moment. How do I like to smell?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I like Bourn Dreamer? I know I like that, And let's discover for future with Bourne Dreamer. What else do I like? You know? Whatever?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 1: I like go a little bit deeper and you know, something so simple. I've been doing more colors with my nails, which is so random and so small. It's your nails. You know, people get their nails in all the time. But I did bright green and I thought about that for three weeks before I did it, and like why I enjoyed it. I like the color. I wanted it on my nails. It made me happy every time I saw them. I was like, I did that. That was something different I normally do nude. Let's do something fun like that little thing was so much fun for me and it brought me so much happiness. And I would match this color to this and it's just so fun. Why am I robbing myself a fun because I don't want to put myself out there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, good for you. I honestly like you're literally doing all the practical steps that it takes to build your values. Thereah, and that's what it is. All of these little habits. For anyone who's listening, all these little habits and these little changes that you're making, they turn into values that you appreciate about yourself. So a value could be and I'm not putting a value on you, I'm just throwing it out there is for a reflection. But a value could be I like freedom, or I like self expression, or I like random can be a value or whatever it may be and like and then those values become things you can use in the future for how you make decisions. Yeah, now when you make so my values has always been to take risks. I feel like I took risks ever since I was fourteen, eighteen, twenty one, and I've noticed that pattern in my life. And so now when I'm taking a risk, I'm not that scared anymore because I've always taken risks my whole life. And I love how when I first took a risk, I didn't even know what a risk was like. When I was fourteen years old or eighteen, I just did it. And now when I look back, I'm like, oh no, that's a skill I have now. And so it's almost like when you're doing all these things, you're just collecting lots of different skills and then one day they'll evolve into values which will form an identity, and then you'll be able to be like, these are the three things that I value and that really matter to me. And you know, I love that. I love how simple you've made it for yourself, and I love how you've broken it down because I think a lot of us try to like leap frogs, like this is who I am now, and we almost want the performance part before the work part. And it's like, I feel like you're doing the work part. Yeah, And it's great to work, great to see. Thank you, Johnie. What if I not asked you about that? You're like, I really want to share this. So this has been on my heart, on my mind, or like something you want to talk about it. You're like, this is what I want to use my voice for. You haven't asked me about it, or it just didn't come up.
Speaker 1: Something for me that I think is very interesting, which is very random and has nothing to do with my career, my personal life or anything. I love the San Diego Safari Park, which is so random, but I've recently found I watched this whole video on it, this like very specific thing that you have to go through a lot of steps to be able to get it for like a zoo or aquarium or anything. But it's a certificate that shows if it's humane to the animals. And learning about that has been really interesting because I love going there and I love how free the animals are and how it's just like they are in the wild, and how they help the animals, and that's definitely something that I want to get more into, is like figuring out exactly what it is and going to more places like that, and you know, not appreciating place is like SeaWorld that treat their animals horribly, you know, like little things like that that I think is so interesting because I love animals, So that was something I need to find the name of exactly what that little like thing is, but it's really cool and like to get that, you have to go through a lot of work, and every place is constantly trying to outdo each other, so the bar is constantly being raised, which I think is so interesting.
Speaker 2: How they treat the animals and they have to pass a certain number of right right, right, Well, yeah, so.
Speaker 1: That's really cool and something random that I.
Speaker 2: Decide, right, I love. Yeah. Yeah. My wife's a big fan of visiting animals as much as we can, and so she's she's kind of always led that and we've gone to some of the randommest places in LA because of her. But her relationship with animals is really beautiful and she can like you know, start a relationship with yah. Yeah, and it's really special to watch. And it's really interesting because we went to a couple last year and she'd always come back really like even more calm and even more just still and and I And it was really beautiful to see just how when you're connected to nature and we are nature and you know we're a part of that, but now we feel so disconnected from it. Yeah, but animals are such a great way of reconnecting. What do you find I guess fulfilling or meaningful about being? Obviously your dogs, but with these animals, like what is it about it for you specifically that you appreciate about it?
Speaker 1: I think it's just so peaceful and to learn so much Like when you go to these places, I will come back only talking about animal facts for like a month and I love it. And sometimes people are like, that's like, where did you even come.
Speaker 2: Up with that?
Speaker 1: But I think it's so cool and so interesting to see all these animals and with each other and how they respond to things. And I love places where it's like, if they're out and you see them, that's great. If not, they don't feel like being out, that's just how it is. I just think it's so interesting. And I literally I've been to the San Diego Safari twice and the first time talked about animal facts for like two months. The second time I leading up to going, that was all I could talk about, and I brought. I got so many other people excited about because I like, but you don't understand how cool it is, Like you are twenty feet away from a cheetah with like there's no big fence up, you know, Like it's crazy just to see these animals just living, not worried about anything that is so materialistic or anything like that. I don't know. I just find so much joy in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely. Have you been to anywhere in Africa?
Speaker 1: I haven't, and I really want to go. I've like, I've seen so many videos, and so many of my friends have gone, and it just seems so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've talked about this before in the podcast, but I'm saying it because it's natural in our conversation. I went to Rwanda last year, Wow, and Rwanda of Revere's Gorillaz. So literally, every time there's a new gorilla in Rwanda that the community comes together and they name it and they have this whole ceremony for it. And so they've had these gorilla sanctuaries for years and so same as what you're saying, there's no fences or walls or whatever. It's basically the mountains and you take treks into the mountains and you discover gorilla and their natural habitat, and there's families. So we followed. I went three days, and one of the days we discovered a family that had like twenty gorillas in it, and then we discovered another one and you get to see the babies and the adduts and it was easily one of my favorite things I've done in my entire life. And it was just the most magical experience because you're truly in nature. The animals are in their habitat, so you're going into their home and they're gonna They're so respectful and let you do your thing, and at the same time you get to learn about them in this really intimate way. It was beautiful to just see how they took care of the kids, how the kids played around, how they were defensive if we got too close, like just everything about them. And the guides that we had said that you can also go and walk, So this was walking with gorillas, but they said you could go walk with elephants too, and me and my wife have been talking about doing that. We're like, I'd love to go walk with elephants, Like how cool would that be? And yeah, there's all these incredible experiences out there, and you know, whether it's a local safari or whether it's being able to go there, Yeah and have this experience. I definitely feel and my other team, someone of my team's been talking about going to see the Great Migration, which is what so the easy version of it. I'm giving a very bad explanation, but just to make it relatable for everyone, It's basically what happens in the Lion King when all the wilderbeast like running across like, so that's the Great Migration. Where they're like stampeding across the stampede where the fast unfortunately dies. Like that moment is what the great migration is, and it happens every single Year's so yeah, anyway, I'm getting carried away too.
Speaker 1: But no, I mean it's so easy to Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's magical to think that these things exist and you can go and witness them or even whilst they're online or on the documentary whatever. You know.
Speaker 1: Well, at the San Diego Safari, they're literally like with the Southern hight rhinos and the Northern hight rhinos, it's like one of them is going extinct and they're literally figuring out through stem cells, like how to bring it back. It's so so wild and so interesting and hearing these people talk about it and all of the steps they're going through with scientists and zoologists and literally everyone to help, you know, bring back this species of rhinos. It's like, this is so cool and has nothing to do with anything that I do in my normal, everyday life. But how interesting is that to just hear and see and like what that's crazy? But I don't know, I just think that that's so cool.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it, and I hope you just keep pursuing and following all of these things that using a cool and you know, you're it's not that you don't know yourself. I wouldn't say that you don't know who you are. I just say that you're you're firmly on that path. Yeah, you're on that path of self discovery, and you're doing it a perfect time in your life, and you're taking every one of the right steps. Like you know, it's not that you don't know who you are or you're confused, You're just you're just taking those steps and all of it's going to become more and more clear as you continue to take more steps. So, yeah, thank you for sharing the this part of the journey with me, because I'm hoping that in a few years time you come out and then you'll be like Jay, I figured this out and.
Speaker 1: These are all of my favorite things that I've decided.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I hope and I hope they'll change again. And you know, I but I'm glad that you came and shared this part because this is the hardest part to share when you're not sure and you're figuring it out. And I'm glad that we had the opportunity to capture that today. Yeah, and I'm really really appreciate you sharing that with people because it is the hardest part to share when you're like, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not quite there, but this is where I am now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Charlie, thank you so much. No, thank you coming on the show today. And we end every episode with a final five, and these I'm going to totally ruin these because I enjoy doing that. But you're meant to answer them in one word to one sentence maximum, but I will probably ask you to expand because they always lead to more thoughtful answers. So all right, Charlie, these are your final five. The first question is what is the best advice you've ever heard, or received or even given to someone.
Speaker 1: This is probably the only thing that keeps me sane, whether it's good or bad. Everything happens for a reason. You can't control.
Speaker 2: It, and that's something you hold on to it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it makes me feel like I'm not going crazy.
Speaker 2: When have you used that the most you can explain?
Speaker 1: I mean, when I feel like I have no idea what to do next, where I feel like everything's coming crashing down, this is important because it's helping me get to the next step of my life. And as much as this sucks right now, I need it and some of the worst parts where I feel like I'm at an all time low, that helped me get to that next step. So next time I'm feeling like that, I know how to. I know, first I can get myself out of it, and second that you know, maybe it's not that big of a deal and a year I'm not even going to remember it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely love that, all right. Second question, what's the worst advice you've ever heard or received?
Speaker 1: Probably that I need to say yes to everything because you don't know when this is going to end. Sometimes you just need to say no and take that time for yourself.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you brought that up. So many young creators here.
Speaker 1: That overwhelm themselves, and it's you're doing a disservice to yourself. Give yourself time to figure out who you are.
Speaker 2: And I think you're so right. Like I've said this to a lot of people too, that it will only end when you want it to, Like nothing can end if you're if you're alive and you're creating and your building, like things just don't end and I think we use the end as a scarcity tactic or a fear tactic to get more out of someone or to get the most out of it right now, not realizing that someone could take a break for three years if that's what they wanted to do, and come back even stronger and bigger and better and whatever. Yeah. And I just don't think we allow people to have that space. And I think it's really unhealthy for anyone to think that if I'm not don't do this, I'm going to be irrelevant or whatever. It's like, Actually, if you're an artist, you could take time out and come back in years from now and create a masterpiece.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean the first like three years of my career, all anyone was saying was it could be over like that, no one's going to care about you. And I spent so much time. When is it going to end? Everyone keeps telling me it's going to end, Like do I want it to end? Maybe I want it to end. Maybe I want to break and it just to all be over and go back to my normal life. I've taken breaks, i've taken step backs, I've done everything that was coming to me at the moment, and it's like letting whether the people that are watching you are gonna stay or leave dictate every move you make. Those people that really care about you, they're not just gonna leave if you stop posting for a month or a week or however long. Like put your own mental state first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because if you don't put your mental state first, then it's definitely gonna go away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna get burnt out, and then no one's gonna care.
Speaker 2: Because you don't care exactly, or you're not gonna be able to put anything like you know, And if you look at that perspective, it's like, yeah, you just keep pushing and pushing and pushing. Yeah, you lose yourself and then you have nothing to share and then you've definitely, you know, lost out. No, really really great answer. I love that question. Number three, What is the craziest room as you've heard about yourself? One that made you laugh and one that made you cry.
Speaker 1: Ones that make me laugh are probably the ones where I'll like, I'll seem super I'll see like blind items about myself and it's like she did this crazy thing at this party and it was wild and and I was like, didn't even go to a party that's so like like where did you guys? I was here and there. So those ones always make me laugh and they're like so not true and be like, Okay, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny you said about not being at the party. Like, So I officiated Ben and Jen's wedding last year, and there was a guest list that was printed, and the guest list just had everyone's name on and everyone was like asking me like, oh, did you see this person? Do you see this one? I was like, they weren't there. Yeah, it was a really private wedding. Yeah, but it's like everyone assumes that all these people were there now that all these magazines had printed it. Everyone assumes that it was just this big celebrity wedding. It's like what it wasn't it was just really friends and family. It just makes you laugh like, yeah.
Speaker 1: You guys pulled this out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Nowhere, Like it was just crazy to me. I was like, how do you make this up? Like you know? And so there was no official guest list printed externally. Yeah all right? Uh yeah. And then one that kind of like got to you, or if there was one that like made you more emotional, well, things that make you more emotional generally.
Speaker 1: Things that make me more emotional are definitely ones that try to display my character in a way where you know, I I don't want to defend everything that I do. I don't want to defend every rumor that comes out about me. But it's like to think that people think I'm capable of doing these things that you know are sometimes so horrible or you know there, especially when I was like sixteen, sixteen was really hard for me, and I would hear these grown adults every single day, Charlie did Charlie did that, Charlie did this. I literally it was actually right when I hit one hundred million. I think I was at the lowest mental state possible, and I looked so happy online, and it got to the point where I was I was like, I'm not doing this anymore, Like I physically cannot do this. Like it got really dark to where I was like, I don't even want to be here anymore. And I think back to those times and the grown adults that put sixteen year old me in that mindset, and I'm just like, like, you guys have kids now, like you guys are are grown, And first of all, never gotten an apology through a direct message, never got an apology or anything besides if it was for other people or that they want something from me, And I just like I wish that they could see what they did to me and how truly horrible they treated me, and like what if that was your kid? What if that was you? How would you feel? And like, I'm so proud of myself for getting myself through that, because that really, like depending on how I responded to that, could have changed the trajectory of my life, whether I started to cope in unhealthy ways or or harmed myself or did something that you know, would make these people feel bad. Like I'm just very glad that I have the people around me and also got to give some credit to myself was able to get out of that.
Speaker 2: I can't I mean even just hearing you talk about it, like it feels so hard and heavy, and like I can feel how intense it could have been, Like what got you through that? Like what was it that? Because at sixteen, I mean, you don't have a lot to pull on, Like what gets you through all of that? Especially being around you know now your family's more used to it, so everyone has a bit more. Yeah, it doesn't make it easier. Yeah, I'm not saying it makes it easier, but people are more aware of it, Yeah for sure. But at that time, it's like right at the beginning, you know, it.
Speaker 1: Was really hard for a long time, and especially at that point, I showed myself in a very specific light and didn't want to let anyone know what was getting to me. And then I would go and cry on live And I think back to that, and I think it was the people that I had around me, Like it was getting to the point where like people were coming to my house to check on me, like it was bad, and like, I don't know if these people that did this, like I think they know who they are, but are ever going to see this? Like, first of all, I think I deserve an apology. Second of all, not that I need one because I'm content with how it happened whatever, But the fact that there's no accountability for those people, but there was so much accountability for a sixteen year old I think is so wild and there's so like, honestly, the hardest stuff to deal with was the people that were grown adults that were like just ripping on me every second of every day, like twenty videos like what I now look back and I'm so disgusted by the fact that these people like thought that that was okay. It's so wild, and I'm just I'm very thankful that I had my friends and my family and enough in myself to want to get through it and come out the other side and show these people that they can't ruin me. And I have more to show people than what I've done so far.
Speaker 2: That's so powerful and it's so no, it really is. It's so powerful to hear that, and it's and it breaks my heart hearing it too, because I totally get what you're saying in terms of just like when you have kids. We live in a world that wants to prioritize mental health, but then when we take people apart, whether they made a mistake or not, yeah, we're not mindful of their mental health at all. Yeah, And it's almost like if someone's made a mistake or maybe not even made a mistake, it's almost like, well, now we don't have to treat them as if they have mental health, yeah at all.
Speaker 1: Or it's like people loved me because I wasn't perfect and I was authentic, but then any time I would mix up my words or make a mistake or do anything outside of what was okay for these people, it was like, yeah, well I hate her and everyone should hate her and she's a horrible person because of this. And I was like, but what did I do? Like it was so hard to come to terms of the fact that so many people hated me and I was just doing my best. I was like, but I don't get it, Like all I do is try to please everyone around me, and they're not, like how do I do this? I'm never gonna win, And you know that's really hard. Like I give myself so much credit for how I handled this stuff the best way I knew how like so wild.
Speaker 2: If you ever doubt how tough you are, you just got to remember sixteen years oh Charlie, because she was a beast. She so tough. Like that is really really intense. It was really really intense. How have you dealt with that feeling of like trying to keep everyone else? I know you've talked about it before, the idea of like trying to keep everyone else afloat and you want to kind of let go of that pressure. Do you feel like you've let go of it or do you feel like you're letting go of it?
Speaker 1: I think I am in certain aspects, but also leaning into it a little, you know, like maybe not what the internet wants, but what does my family want? What do my friends want? What does my boyfriend want? You know, like those people, what do my true fans want? What do they want me to put out that and make them happy? Because I'm doing it for these people, And maybe if I'm feeling a little bit burnt out right now, I really think back to, well, this is the reason that I started doing it, you know, but also understanding that I have to listen to myself and what I need. Yeah, figuring out that balance, which I don't think i'll ever truly get the hang of because it's always changing, but at least acknowledging it.
Speaker 2: All right. Question four and five. Last two questions. What's something new that you're trying to learn this year or something that a skill that you're trying to develop.
Speaker 1: I want to get better at packing and like traveling. Yeah, and it's such a stressor for me. Literally every single time before I leave for a trip, I will have a little mental breakdown, full like tears everything. It's a that's another control thing and a very obsessive, compulsive thing that I do because I like to have my stuff around me. I like to have my things. I like to have everything that I could possibly need. Like even in my purse, I have everything that I could possibly need for if I go on a three day vacation, like, it just causes me so much stress that I would like to be able to take a overnight trip and just like pack and go without worrying so much. Like that would be the dream.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great I think that's a great scale that I wish everyone wants to add. Right, Definitely, there are great package and they are a bad package. Yeah, and I'm a bad packer for sure, And I get that. Do what my wife does. My wife just takes six suitcases, she says.
Speaker 1: Literally, my sister, she will go places pack like an hour before she's like only brought one shoe. Yeah, how how do you do this? This is insane?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's amazing. I love it all right, great, Charlie. Final question, It is the final question. If you could, and you take your time with this, if you could create one rule or one law that everyone in the world had to follow, what would it be.
Speaker 1: Lead with empathy. Don't be so hard on every single thing, every situation, everything, no matter what. Like you never ever know what someone's truly going through. Even you can ask me what's wrong, and I could tell you one thing, and maybe deep down it's something else that I'm embarrassed to tell you about. Like you just never know the struggle that someone's dealing with when they're by themselves. So just be a little more empathetic. I feel like COVID really, you know, caused people to react fast. Just take a step back, you know, hear people out. Just calm down, Calm down a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so needed for ourselves and others. And it's amazing how many of us we will know we need that world. But it's almost like the system and society and the way it works is set up to make us not be that. Yeah, right, Like we all want that, and we will say that, and then something happens in the press and then everyone jumps on it.
Speaker 1: And I have to say that to myself too, keep yourself in check, you know.
Speaker 2: Definitely, Charlie. I love how this conversation has been so fun and deep. Yeah, and like random and unique, and I love that because that's what all of us are, right. I think if you try and have a conversation that's just deep or just cool or just whatever, it doesn't work. But when you just get to know someone three point sixty's, it's a bit quirky, it's a bit funny. It's it was super thoughtful and insightful, and I'm so glad that it was truly you. I hope you felt that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, this was refreshing for me.
Speaker 2: Good. I'm glad, and thank you so much for trusting me and being here. And I'm so grateful. And everyone's been listening or watching, whether you're walking your dogs, because I know you do that, whether you're at the gym, whether you're driving to and from work, or whether you're editing a video. Right now, I want to say thank you to you for Liz litening, and I hope that you're going to share your highlights of so many great insights, thoughts, just reflections I think that Charlie shared with us today. Make sure you share the ones that stood out to you. Tag both me and Charlie as well, whether you using TikTok x or Instagram, because I love seeing what you related to and what you connected to. There were so many parts today I felt when I was listening, I was like, oh, I get that, Like I hear that, and I want to know what you heard and what you understood and what you learned. Charlie, thank you so much again. I hope you'll come on many, many more times.
Speaker 1: Yes for having me. Seriously, this is really nice to be able to have the space to talk about anything.
Speaker 2: Well. You're always welcome. Thank you, always welcome. Thank you. If you love this episode, you will also love my interview with Kendall Jenna on setting boundaries to increase happiness and healing You're inner child.
Speaker 1: You could be reading something that someone is saying about you and being like, that is so unfair because that's not who I am and that really gets to me sometimes. But then looking at myself in the mirror and being like, but I know who I am. Why does any thing else matter