Speaker 1: I think delusion is maybe ignoring red flags like no, no, it's going to be fine. What are you doing while you're not listening? Those mistakes and those red flags actually are really great gifts. Afterwards you're like, oh, I needed.
Speaker 2: To learn this.
Speaker 1: Entrepreneur Ali Webb, the co founder of driver Bar one hundred million dollar empire. I've had this shame and didn't want to be divorced once and now I'm heading into divorced twice. Can I be in love with a person and myself and what I'm doing? I haven't been able to figure that out yet.
Speaker 3: Before we jump into this episode, I'd like to invite you to join this community to hear more interviews that will help you become happier, healthier, and more healed. All I want you to do is click on the subscribe button. I love your support. It's incredible to see all your comments and we're just getting started. I can't wait to go on this journey with you. Thank you so much for subscribing. It means the world to me. The best selling author and host the number one healthy well inness podcast On Purpose with Jay Shetty. Hey, everyone, welcome back to On Purpose, the number one health podcast in the world. Thanks to each and every one of you that come back every week to listen, learn and grow. Now you know that our community is all about becoming happier, healthier, and more healed. And whether it's your career, whether it's your relationships, whether it's your personal life, we try and focus on all aspects on on purpose. Today's guest is someone who's excited to share with us what I believe is the truth, and it's called The Messy Truth. Ali Webb, who I'm going to tell you about in a second. This book is all about how she sold her business for millions but almost lost herself. The Messy Truth is available right now. We're going to put the link in the caption so you can order it while you're listening to this conversation. And for those of you that don't know, Ali Webb is the founder of dry Bar, New York Times best selling author Can It Be, President, co founder of Squeeze, bright Side, and Beckett and Quill. In twenty ten, dry Bar exploded into an nationally recognized and highly sought after brand, growing to over one hundred and fifty locations and highly successful product line which sold for two hundred and fifty five million dollars in twenty twenty. Staying true to Ali's signature approach to beauty and self care, Squeeze follows suit as an innovative massage concept. Ali joined forces with La based jewelry designer Meredith Quill to build yet another new company, now known as Beckett and Quill. Most recently, Ali joined the Canopy team as president. And I'm excited to talk to Ali because we bumped into each other recently at a soccer game football game for Angel CITYFC. Please welcome to the show, Ali Webb. Ali, thank you for being here.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thanks for that introduction.
Speaker 3: Of course you had deliver it all as I always tell my guests, and I love this. You know. The title of your book just immediately captured my attention because I couldn't agree more that every success story is underpinned by the messy truth, and we often don't hear about the messy truth. We often don't see the messy truth. Sometimes we don't even want to know about the messy truth. We'd rather believe in the facade or the beauty, or the perfection or the perfect image that we see. And I'm really glad that you're sharing this. So I have lots of things I want to ask you from the book today. I highly recommend everyone goes and buys the book, especially if you're on your entrepreneurial journey. Maybe you want to be an entrepreneur, you're thinking about it, and you think about how do I figure out all of this stuff? So let's start with this idea, ALI that a lot of our audience, a lot of our community, wants to be entrepreneurs. Yeah, they may already be entrepreneurs. Some of them are struggling, some of them are winning, some of them are still figuring out what they're even going to do. What is the messy truth about starting that no one tells you about starting specifically?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I think that we live in a generation now where we're finally at the point which wasn't the case when I was starting out, where it is accessible to get to hear what's really going on. There's so many panels and so many conferences where you know, entrepreneurs are talking about more of the realist stuff, which I'm super grateful for. Like I said, thirteen years ago, when we started Drybar, that didn't exist, Like nobody was talking about anything, you know, you didn't have access to founders or CEOs the way you do now.
Speaker 2: And it's such a beautiful thing that.
Speaker 1: There's podcasts like this and there's places where people who were thinking about that starting a business can go like I have a mastermind that's launching next week. Where it's like for entrepreneurs, like there's so much access out there now, but you know, I think there is still understandably. So it's like, I mean, everybody wants to look good and everybody wants to like show their best side. And for me, it's like I I've always just been drawn to the like, you know, the realness, and maybe it's because I've always been a bit of an underdog, you know. I mean starting from the time I was like a kid. My older brother Michael, who's my business partner in Drybar, you know, he was like the overachiever in our family, like very you know, kind of more BookSmart and just you know, it was kind of either always in trouble or always doing something really amazing. There wasn't really a lot of in between, and I was kind of a bit of a wallflower, which if you know me now, that is not my personality at all, But back then I was just kind of observing my brother in trouble or doing something great. I grew up in this with this like I was just in the background, and I think that as as I've gotten older, I have felt like more wanting to you know, talk about, you know, my story and like how I was like like a bit of an I think I have a chapter in the book called like the Unlikely Entrepreneur something like that. I should probably know all the chapters of my but but I've always considered myself like kind of this underdog and like not who you'd expect to succeed. And I think I've guessed I have felt called to shine light on that because there are a lot of us out there, you know, and I don't have a traditional path. And I think that at one point it was like there was the societal like you have to go to college, you have to have a business degree if you want to start a business. And now you know, there's so many I've spoken at so many colleges that have entrepreneurial programs, which I'm like, I always get a chuckle out of because I'm like, I didn't even go to college, Like do you want me to not mention that, you know, but I think it's just good to show that, like you can find success and have success no matter who you are, whether you went to college, didn't go to college, just like graduate high school, didn't graduate or whatever. You know. So I've I've just felt really drawn to that kind of like underdog, like the person that you just wouldn't expect, you know, to be successful. And so I try to, you know, highlight that. And there's good there too, and there's a lot of things that I am, you know, I am really good at, but showing like a peak behind the curtain to people that it's not I mean, I think any entrepreneur who's listening to this knows it's not easy. Of course, it's not easy. I feel like I just want to talk about and highlight more of the hard stuff than just the good stuff, you know, because it's it's completely.
Speaker 2: A mix bag.
Speaker 1: It's not one or the other. It's usually like one minute to one minute, like you're like, oh, this was amazing, and then you're like the whole thing's falling apart, you know. I mean, it's literally like that crazy. So my mission with the book was like to highlight both, like it's really amazing and it's the greatest journey and it's also incredibly hard and taxing, and like, you don't realize how much it's going to change your life, and I don't. I think that's good that you don't know that, you know. I'm a little bit of like the ignorance is bliss mentality because I feel like the less you know about what you're getting yourself into. And I think just that whole mindset of like, if you can accept you don't know what you don't know, you go into things a little like not as freaked down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, well in the book, you go into in detail. Give us a snapshot for everyone who's listening of what your life looked like when you even thought about starting this, because that will give us a picture of this yeah, underdog unlikely entrepreneurs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, I got married to my first husband when I was twenty six. I moved to New York City when I was eighteen because I didn't want to go to college and I was like, I'm going to move to New York City.
Speaker 2: I feel like that will be good college.
Speaker 1: And that's what I did, and I you know, I jumped around from job to job, and I would eventually go to beauty school in South Florida, and then I moved back to New York and then I got married and moved to LA and had two babies, and was like I thought, I'd like hit the jackpot. Like I loved being able to be a stay at home mom. I really felt so blessed and lucky that I got to be home with my boys.
Speaker 2: And I was home for like, you know.
Speaker 1: About five years before I started drybar, and that was such an amazing time. But I did get that itch to get back out there and start doing something for myself, which was really just like a feeling that I had. I mean, I really wanted to have kids, and I really wanted to be a stay at home mom, and part of me thought i'd get really involved in the school and stuff like that. And as I kind of approached that, I was like, no, I don't think I want to do that. And not there was no right or wrong right, it just wasn't for me. And I've always really trusted my gut and my feeling, and I stay very close into what feels right and I and after staying home with my kids, it was about they were about two and four when I started Drybar. And about a year before we started Drybar, I got that kind of itch to do something, and I started a mobile blowout business, which was again just like a way to get out of the house for a few hours, get away from my kids, who I loved, love, loved the whole thing, but just wanted to do something for myself. And I knew, having done hair for so many years, that I could do that pretty easily. I also, you know, had this like intuition on that that if I were to only charge forty dollars, which was like, oh, two twenties, super easy, I'll come over while you're baby sleeping.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 1: You know, that maybe that would be fulfilling for me to get out of the house talk to adults. I mean, that's the other thing, is like when you have two little kids and you go to the park all day and you're you're in like kidville all day. I just I wanted a little bit of a break from that, and not just from my husband. So I started this and it was so perfect at the time, and I remember telling people that, like I remember it was, I mean it was fifteen years ago, but it feels like yesterday because I was like, oh, it's great. I love this, Like I'm getting out into the world. It was a great way for me to meet other women, and I would It also informed a lot of the things that we would eventually instill in Drybar, like not doing someone's hair in front of a mirror, because I was doing their hair in their living room and so it was just perfect. At the time, I wasn't really making any money, but I didn't I've never been like driven by money, so I was like, I'm just happy to do this. I make a little extra cash, I go and do this thing that I really love doing. I get to talk to these amazing women and it was kind of like wildfire. I you know, women would tell their friends and then their friend group and so it would just grow and grow, which which is eventually why Drybar came to be. Because I was getting so busy operating this mobile business by myself that I was like, I think I need to start having them come to me instead of me come to them, And that's really how Drybar was born. But I was just this like one woman show driving my Knie Sonic Sierra around LA with like a duffel bag full of tools and hairspray, and you know it's funny because it's like I remember it so while like could have never guessed it would turn into the life that I have now. I mean, not in a million years. I was just happy to be out of the house for a couple hours.
Speaker 3: You know, thank you for sharing that. I know you've probably had to share that so many times. I wanted you to because I just I mean, to me, I'm hoping that so many people are listening and watching going that's me Ali, right, Like I'm someone who like I love my family, but I want to do something. I have this instinct that I have something inside of me. I don't know what it quite is yet or by the way, I'm doing something on the side and my friends all tell each other that I'm good at it, and yeah, I think I could build something, but I'm not sure. Like, what was it that made you feel this is real and it could be bigger versus actually this is great and it fulfills my needs of getting out the house and giving me a little bit of extra cash. Because you could argue that already felt like success totally and it can be successful a lot of people. What was it for you that said no, this should be bigger. I can be bigger, and I want it to be bigger. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well it's funny how and I'm sure you've experienced this too, when you're doing something and it feels really right, and then there's like these rumblings and this like inner knowing of your like, wait a second, I might be onto something here. And that's really how I started to feel because I realized I was saying no more than I was saying yes. And I was like, you know, scratching my head, going like I'm getting so many calls, and I was pretty good at what I was doing, and so I was like, there's got to be something else here. And at the time, my kids were really little and my mom, who passed away eight years ago now, but she was We used to move her everywhere. We moved, like in an apartment down the street, and she loved being near my kids, and so that was really helpful, and she was, you know, in our lives. And I remember being like, I wonder what would happen if we had a location one location, you know, I'm like, my mom could help. I could get my kids after you know, preschool, like around three or four, I think I could still make this work. And again still thinking pretty small, you know that, like let me just go from like the next step from going to people's home to like opening a store.
Speaker 2: And it was so exciting, you know.
Speaker 1: And it was just like I tell people this all the time that you know, if you're chasing the money, like I mean, maybe that works sometimes in my experience most businesses that I know of, like it's like you're chasing something that you love. And I never I never thought about selling the business. I never thought about making a ton of money. I was like, I never even thought about money. We didn't, I mean for years I didn't take much money as a salary from Drybar. I just loved it, you know. And and when you you know this, when you love your passion and like the thing that you it's and you get to do it every day, you know, it was like I just felt like this is the coolest thing ever. And I couldn't believe, like, you know, when we first opened Drybar and so many people were coming, and and you know, again it was like it just felt so meant to be because this mobile business that I had built and these women that I had come to know in La, and some of them were like, I mean it's La, you know, it's like producers and actors and celebrities, and like, you know, I was a little thrust into that world, and you know, beyond like the celebrity just you know, there was just so many women who were really connected. And when I started talking to my clients, which by the way, were the first people I talked to about Driver, I was like, what do you think of this idea? And they're like, oh my god, it's the best idea ever. But how do you make it work? And there was like certainly naysayers, but it was such a cool, exciting opportunity and to have women like being like, you should totally do this. And then we opened that first store and it was so busy and crazy and I and I just I loved every second of it.
Speaker 2: You know, I couldn't get enough of it.
Speaker 3: That's such a I love that and I want to pull from it for our listeners. So something Ali said that stands out to me is this idea of she was taking baby steps. It was just about the next step. It wasn't like I've come across domination a million dollar idea, one hundred It wasn't like those crazy thought process It was like, I do something it makes me happy, clients are happy, let's get a store. And I think sometimes we kind of go from well, I have a really good idea, it should be a million dollar business, a billion dollar business, or whatever it may be, and we don't get that next step right. So that's one thing I want to share. The second thing that really stood out in what you said is you asked the people you were serving your clients for what they thought of the idea. A lot of us ask our friends, we ask our family, we ask people around us who don't actually know how skilled we are at this thing, and we're not asking the people who are actually going to be our potential clients. And so the fact that you were asking them and they were saying, oh, I'd turn up there, Oh I'd recommend all my friends we're in, that's a much better person to talk to when you're sharing a new idea. What's the difference, Sally, Because you've talked about now and in the book you talk about this idea that you've always been pretty decisive, but more deeply when you go into it, and I know you have a deeper side to you and when you're thinking about things like intention and intuition and instinct, and you said I always knew, like I was always listening for that inner voice. What is the difference between intuition and delusion? If you had to think about how you notice the difference, what would that be for you?
Speaker 1: I think intuition is like versus delusion because I feel like I'm well equaited with I mean that's good, yeah, because like delusion is like something to me, at least how it lands for me is like something that's like, you know, a delusional view back then of Drybar would have been like, we're going to grow this thing to one hundred and fifty locations and we're going to sell it for two hundred and fifty five million dollars, although I did say early on that I thought we would have, but not early like in a year in, I was like, I think we're going to sell the business for two hundred and fifty million, and that crazy. I mean, I feel like I manifested that. I think it kind of goes back to what you're saying about baby steps. It's like we're doing ourselves a disservice of you know, moving in this like, you know, in a delusional path, I think I would say you know, versus like saying close in and you know. And I have gotten very into spirituality in the last few years. And one of my very best friends and I talk about her in the book. Her name is pat Paige, and I always say I'm writing her spiritual cot Tails because she's always in Tellis and some retreat and you know, I'm just kind of like trying.
Speaker 2: To pick it up of what she's doing.
Speaker 1: And she always says to me, stay close and you know, and you have to really think about that and like what that means. And it's like, oh, for me anyways, it means like pay really close attention. And I've really started to think about that more and more, especially having had a you know, a rough couple months recently. It's like, how does this make me feel in the moment? And I don't think I ever could have articulated that the way I can now. And I think we get older, we're wiser, we go through more things, we read more books, we do all the things. I meditate a lot more now. I do all that stuff now, and I pay really close attention. I don't think I did the way I do now back then, but I think I had it instinctually in me. I just didn't know how to pick up on it, you know. Where it's like now I can. I can almost like I can read something or have a thought and like immediately get a ping in my body of like no, this doesn't not feel good, or get a like oh yeah, this feels really good and it's fascinating. And the thing is, and I'm sure you have, being who you are, would agree with this. It's like if you get really quiet and you pay attention to that stuff, it's pretty clear.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I have definitely been known to purposely ignore red flags and situations which have gotten me into some bad situations. And it's it's really funny the awareness that we get as we get older and wiser, and we make some mistakes and we learn from them, and so I guess, you know, delusion is like I think delusion is maybe ignoring red flags. You know, it's like, no, no, it's gonna be fine, besides the fact that like you know it's not, but you're gonna It's like what are you doing? Why are you're not listening? I heard something Renee Brown said, I'm sure she's been on the show. Oh you have to have her on. She's amazing and she was really there for me in my first divorce, which is crazy, but she I just saw something recently where she was like, every once in a while, the universe taps you or not everyone's while when you get to mid age, the universe like taps you on the shoulder and it's like you can't run anymore. And I was like, is she talking to me? You know? But it's a fascinating thing because I think at some point in our lives and it seems to me like it's more midlife, you get that tap and you're like, yeah, I gotta be really like I got to pay attention to what's happening, Like you can't get away with it anymore, you know. And I think as we're when we're younger, we can. I don't know why that is, and I think maybe we're just ignoring the red flags and thinking it can just all work out. And I'm such a like it all works out kind of galt anyways, which I think is true. And now I've come to realize that those mistakes and those red flags and the things that we don't pay attention to when we should actually are really great gifts, not in the moment. In the moment you're like, why is this happening to me? But then afterwards you're like, Oh, I needed to learn this.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Again, my friend Paige always says, it's the medicine, you know. She's like, this is the medicine that you need. I'm like, it's always about the medicine, you know, But it's really true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, thank you for thank you for doing that thought experiment with me into your say I really love you tak it. Yeah, I love your taking it. I want to pick out some moments from your book because I love some of the quotes in your book and things that stuck with me. And so I'm going to start with this because it really, you know, enhances the conversation we're having right now about your work. And he says, this is page eight. The entrepreneurs today's face different challenges, more noise, more competition, et cetera. It still always starts with you, your idea, your skill set, your purpose, and your gut instinct. And you say, what is the thing that you just can't stop thinking about? Which which I love that. I love that language to it but you talk a lot about this finding your skill set as an entrepreneur, and I think there could be nothing more true about than that, Like, I'm so aligned with you, and I think often we're doing things we're passionate about that we're not skilled at, or if we are passionate, we haven't thought that we need to be skilled at it. And obviously you could be doing the opposite, where you do something that you're not passionate about. Sure, and that's what a job is pretty much. Yeah, but how do people discover what they're skilled out? Because what I've found is that most of us, when we're skilled at something, we devalue it as a skill because it's so easy to us. And we see someone else with another skill. And you talk about this a lot in the book about don't become someone else's story, don't chase another entrepreneur, don't try and imitate. But we look at someone So for example, people will look at me and be like, oh, Jay, like you're really good at X, y Z. But then if I'm not aware of that skill set, I'll be like no, no, no, but you're really good at ABC. And then we play this kind of tag of like no, I don't have your skills, but we rarely sit and go, no, I'm actually really good at that because we devalue what we find easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so true, right.
Speaker 1: I think it was really highlighted in my business with my brother and my first husband, Cam who Cam was the creative genius behind dry bar and my brother was like or the behind the scene business side of it. And I was like, you know, the hairstylist and like the experience. And everybody always asks us like, is it really hard to work with your brother and now ex husband and that's not why we got divorced and whatever, But I was like, no, it was great because we were all very clear on what we did and what we did well and what our highest and best use was. I had that conversation so many times. I still go back to that what's my highest and best use always in life because I think it's like really like think about it, you know.
Speaker 2: And we had really almost no conflict.
Speaker 1: And if we ever I mean we all talked about all things together, but if there was ever like a questionable thing, whoever would decide was like who's laying that was? You know, and that was we were all very okay with that, and I think when you do run into problems with business partners, it's often because you guys think you have the same skill set and then that's such it's like five year olds playing soccer.
Speaker 2: Everybody's kicking the ball. It doesn't work, you know.
Speaker 1: So I feel like it is it's like the old cliche like it doesn't feel like work if you're doing something you love, which I know has been said eight million time, but like it is so true and and I think it's like almost feels too easy to your point. So people are like, well, I've got to challenge myself. And of course, like you do, and you want to keep challenging yourself. But like what a gift in life to like be able.
Speaker 2: To do what you love to do.
Speaker 1: And I think I think there's this misconception that like you shouldn't do that, you know. It's like, you know, for me, like when I told my parents I wanted to go to beauty school, they were like really sure, you know, and like very like look their nose down on it, like you want to be a hairstylist. And they also had I grew up in South Lorda, and my parents said, we're entrepreneurs, which definitely informed a lot of my or who I became. But they had this like old Lady clothing store and it was right next to this like old Lady hair salon, and they and they think in their mind, they were like, you want to work there? And I was like, no, I'm going to move to New York City. I'm gonna do editorial and like fashion shows. And I had these like grand ideas. I didn't have dry bar at the time, you know, but it was like that's what I'd loved. Like I grew up in South Florida, I have naturally curly hair, and my hair was just massive and frizzy all the time. And I was just fast by hair. I loved hair. It's just what I loved, you know. And so it took me a lot. It would take me many years to finally like get the courage to say, Like when my friends were going to college and they were studying whatever, and I was always like, how do you guys know what you want to do? Very confused by that whole notion of college and majors and all that. And I just loved hair and that was the thing that I really loved. And it would, you know, and I talked about it in the book that it took me a while to figure out again. It comes back to like being close in like I always loved hair. I would spend hours in the bathroom in high school and I was just so. I worked at a hair salon as a receptionist when I was in high school because I wanted to get free blowouts and because I loved being around hairstylists.
Speaker 2: And I was like, this is the thing that I love, and I.
Speaker 1: Ignored it for so many years, you know, And it's like to be able to tap into that thing.
Speaker 2: And and you can't find a person. There's nobody you can.
Speaker 1: Meet and say, what do you really love to do? And they may not tell you because they're embarrassed, or they don't do it as a job because they like my parents want to prove, my husband want to prove whoever won't think it's a good idea. My parents did not think it was a good idea to go to beauty school. But I had enough, like hootsbu to be like, I hear you, but it's what I want to do, you know. And I had no idea I was going to turn into like this beautiful life that it did for me. But I was just like, stay really focused. And I talk about that a lot to entrepreneurs that I'm mentoring. It's like, don't you know, shut all that out, you know, listen to what really feels like is good for you, not what everybody else around you wants.
Speaker 3: You know. It's almost like that question that's come from what you're saying, is what's that voice you're ignoring on the inside or what's that idea that you keep kind of putting away because you're like, that's ridiculous, Oh that's stupid. Yeah, and you've heard that voice before where someone looked at you weird because you actually shared your intention, yeah, your excitement and ever I looked at you like, that's not real over it.
Speaker 1: And by the way, people do that at Drybar, because I mean, like I said, it was it was in the middle of a recession and people were like, how do you make this concept work? It's like, you know, we were starting at thirty five dollars a blowout and it was like you have to do a lot of blowouts to make that business work. And I was like, yeah, you know, but I think we can do it. And like, I literally not not great at math, but I was like, I think if we can do like, you know, ten blowouts an hour and we're open, you know, ten hours to day, like I think it'll work, you know. And I remember my brother started like putting an actual spreadsheet together and running the numbers. It was like, yeah, if we do thirty or forty blowouts today, we'll have a nice business, you know. And of course we never did that little We always did like seventy eighty one hundred blow out, say, which was just bananas. But it was like people were the ones who put it in my head that like, maybe maybe this idea doesn't work. I mean, so many people and then we started raising money, and you know, that's a whole other conversation of like raising money with like walking into these rooms with men in suits who like did not understand the concept of drybar, and we're like what, you know, like how does this work? And just didn't believe in it. So many people didn't believe in it, and it did seem like a tough you know, how do you make this work? Like on a large scale, is there enough women who want to do this? Is the price the price points really low? Like margins are really thin? How does it work, and you know, and I just I'm like, I'm just telling you. I really, you know, from a gut level, know that this is going to work. And then you're like, oh shit, this better work, you know. But it did. And I always felt like there was money on the line for sure, and that's not a small thing. But you know, I remember when I started cutting hair, and I mean when you're starting to cut hair and you have really sharp scissors in your hand, it is very scary and like and you know, it's so funny. It's like the very first hair.
Speaker 3: I never trust myself, Oh my god, or anyone else.
Speaker 1: It's the worst and.
Speaker 3: I'm like, no, I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: The first haircut I ever did in beauty school, I cut someone's ear and I felt like I was going to die. And the ears bleed so much. And I thought, when.
Speaker 3: You cut someone's ear, how much.
Speaker 1: Just like just a little nip on the I mean, it was it was I remember, it was so traumatized. I'm sure for them, but for me. And also in beauty school you're doing like two dollars haircuts and so you're learning. You know, I still have like nightmares about that because it was like the worst thing that can happen beside that weird story, which I don't think I've ever talked a very body about.
Speaker 2: It was very traumatizing for me, But.
Speaker 1: I always felt like at the end of the day when I was on the floor cutting and when I was doing all that, and you know, and then when we were starting drybar, I was like, no one's gonna die if this business doesn't work, like which is like the worst possible outcome.
Speaker 2: It's like we're not doing surgery.
Speaker 1: We're not we don't, you know. And and I and I always like found comfort in that because I was like, you know, there's always the chance that we're going to lose money. In my case, it was going to really be my brother's money and my you know, my my husband at the time, and I put in our life savings, which wasn't really that much but a lot to us at the time, and you know, I was like, it's gonna really suck and we're going to lose money, but we're like, we're really smart, capable people, and if this idea doesn't work, like we'll figure something else out. And I think that that mindset of like you got to just like put it on the line is like it is really why I think I've been successful. It's like not holding anything too tightly of like, yeah, I really hope this works, and I really think this is going to work. But if it doesn't, like we're all going to be okay, you know. And I think that's like, you know, I think a lot a lot of entrepreneurs I talk to are like, I have to have this much money, stave, and I have to do this, and I have to do this, and I have this. I was like, yeah, prepare for sure, but like.
Speaker 2: At some point you're gonna have to just jump, you know, and hope.
Speaker 1: For the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is there is a moment for that lead.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to drive into a couple of things here that you've mentioned that I think really stood out. And you talk about this, and we would talking about this a bit offline. It was this idea of page thirteen, you say, if you feel like an impostor, embrace it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I feel like imposter syndrome has been something that a lot of people are talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's something that there are even more people that are feeling than are talking about it, and it seems to be a recurring feeling. Yeah, whenever you're in a new room or a new league or a new zone. When you say embrace it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think to your point of people talking about it a lot, they talk about it like it's a bad thing, and I think I think of it as a good thing. If you're embarking on a position in a new job, or you're starting a company or whatever you're doing that's new to you, like that's amazing, Like you're starting something new, You're you're taking that leap of faith.
Speaker 2: You're you know, putting yourself.
Speaker 1: In a situation that you've not been in, and that's really scary for sure, but it's also really exciting and exhilarating, and it means you're growing and you're in this next new phase in your life. And so this this negative association with imposter syndrome as if it's like a bad thing, it has definitely happened to me.
Speaker 2: I think maybe because I.
Speaker 1: Had never had any real formal training in anything other than hair where I would start a job and I was like, no, I'm underqualified for this job, but I'm going to like figure it out. And I and I would you know, and I guess that was part of it. Like, yes, I am an imposter technically, I don't know how to do this job, but you better believe I'm going to figure it out and do it well.
Speaker 2: And it's no dient with entrepreneurship.
Speaker 1: I mean when we started Drybar, I had never like been in charge of that many people. I'd never managed a salon like I'd never my parents didn't I watch them, and i worked for owners of hair salons, and.
Speaker 2: I've been a stylist for years.
Speaker 1: Like I had a lot of the things that I think I needed had but I had never actually done it, and so I was learning it as I went, which was scary but also amazing. And I also think when you come in again, nothing I could have articulated them. But a term I think we're hearing more and more now is this like beginner's mindset, you know. And I had that when I was when we were starting Drybar, because I was quite literally a beginner and running a business and I made a lot of mistakes and I had to figure out a lot of things. And that's that's also the beauty of this book is that I feel like I got an education in this. I got like a you know, a business degree while I was running a business, because I was having to figure all these things out, and I made tons of wrong.
Speaker 2: Decisions and bad choices.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I also think I felt not necessarily imposter syndrome, but I think I felt this like men's pressure because I was the boss, like I had to know all the answers and I had to Like if you came to me and asked me a question about the business, I'd be like, well, here's what I think, even though it wasn't always right. It was just like me havy. And I used to think that that was like, oh, you're just the boss, and you just you your book stops with you and you have to And now I feel like and how I approach that question now is like, well what do you think? Which is not something I would have said. And that's like I think that was all ego because I was like, oh, I feel this pressure, like I'm supposed to know the answer because I'm sitting where I'm sitting in this company, and now I'm like, well, what do you think about that? And then people are like what you know? And I'm like, well I don't. I actually don't know the answer, but I'd love to hear what you think. But I didn't have enough, like you know, I was too focused on like feeling like I had to be And maybe that does go back to imposter syndrome. I felt like I needed to know all the answers because I was the boss and this was my company and blah blah blah. Where now I'm like, there's so much freedom in saying I don't know, you know, like let's.
Speaker 2: Talk about it.
Speaker 1: And then the culture that you create in a company when you're like the kind of boss that's like not to know at all and people aren't afraid to be like, hey, Jay, you know, I actually think that if we tried this, this and that, Like I'm sure people do that in your company. Like I'm when someone comes up to you and they're like, I actually think if we tried blah blah blah, and your response is like no, you know, they're never coming to you with something again.
Speaker 2: But if your response is like, oh, that's.
Speaker 1: Interesting, you know, and you may not always take it, but that beginners that feels to me like a beginner's mindset of like I'm open to other ways, and I think that there's a part of I know there's a part of me that gets a little like you know, and it's also like I feel like I know best, and we go into our ego of like, no, but I know what I'm doing. How But embracing what somebody else is bringing to you I think is really powerful. And that's something that took me a long time to get comfortable with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's something that you've reminded me on you talk about this on page fifty two. You're saying being open to feedback, personal or professional, is a practice, a learned intention to stop taking the information, maybe going a walk, take some deep breaths, and come back open to hearing what someone else is feeling. And I wanted to ask you what's been the best or most memorable piece of feedback that you gained on your professional journey that's kind of stuck with you where maybe even in the moment it was so painful to hear Yeah, but you now look back and go, I believe that. Well.
Speaker 1: I think thinking of feedback as a gift, which I learned pretty early on. And I remember, you know somebody in our company who said it. I heard her say at once, and I was like, wow, that's so profound because if you can be open to what someone is telling you, which is so hard and it is painful. And you know, I remember my brother saying to me once like people are scared of you. And I was like, what, you know, just no awareness on my part, Like I was like, what are you talking about? What are you talking about? What do you mean people are scared of me?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: And he was like, well, because you know, yeah this joke, Yeah I was, but in the moment, I really was taken aback by it. And I was like, I'm so nice, what do you mean? And he was like, well, you know, you walk in the stores and you lose your mind. And I was like, I do that because I'm so passionate, you know. And I was covering it up with like, I'm so passionate and I want things to be perfect, and I did. But I would learn over time that that walking in and like you know, I would, I would. You could see it all over my face because I was like, why are the floorboards dirty?
Speaker 2: Why is the music not up?
Speaker 1: Why did this person not get greeted that way? I mean, just for me, it was like, you know, it was like centory overload of everything that was wrong, which I think is a blessing and a curse because you're like, well, I am the person this is my baby, Like I am the person who has to be the one that's like, this is not working and we need to fix this. But I also would learn that people were excited when I would come in the store, and they wanted to tell me the good things. And I did start to perpetuate this reputation of like Alice's come and watch out, and you know, part of me was like, I think, maybe that's a good thing, but then I was like, no, it's not. And I would learn eventually to you know, like I would take notes and I would then like, you know, not like ruin everybody's day when I would come in the store, you know. And I had to learn that the hard way. But it really did take my brother probably one of the only few people in our company who felt comfortable enough to say to me because he wasn't scared of me.
Speaker 2: You know, he'd be like, people are.
Speaker 1: Scared of you, and I again, at first, I was very defensive and I told him he was wrong, and you know, it was also my big brother, but it really like sunk in and I was like, man, I don't want that. I don't want people to be scared of me. I want people to be able to talk to me. I don't want people to feel like they have to protect me either, which was also another thing that drove me crazy and still does to this day. Like I don't you know, I'm sure you agree with this. It's like you don't want to be surrounded by yes people, like please no, tell me, tell me the truth, tell me what people are saying. I want to know what people are thinking if I if I can't ascertain that on my own, you know, so if you have people around you who are willing to give you like the feedback, it's like you're only going to be better for it, you know it. It stings in the moment, and it still does. Like you know, sometimes someone will tell me something and I'll be like, oh gosh, like I can't believe that. And then if you're open to it, and then you you then now you have the awareness about it, and I'll tell you. I'm like, I don't think you have children, right, you know? For me, I have a sixteen and eighteen year old, two boys, and like talk about honesty. I mean, I'm really really close to my kids. But they will tell me things like that are very hard here, and it is a real practice, a mental exercise for me to not you know.
Speaker 2: And my kids used to say to me, like.
Speaker 1: Because I've because during the drybar era, when I was like, guess a little scary, you know, my kids would even say to me like, we don't know what version you're gonna of you we're going to get, which is like, oh yeah. And I was like, but I know that now, and now like the power is in my control, like I can be like okay, And it literally just happened. I was with my son is at Dennison and University in Ohio. He's playing football, and I went out to see him and this, you know, he like came off the field, you know, he was like didn't really want to talk about some of the stuff that we want to talk about. And my younger son said to me, like, just give him a minute, mom, And I was like what he's like, just give him a minute. And I was like, oh right. You know, because as a mom and anybody listening to this, who's a mom, You're like when your kid isn't like perfect and happy, You're like, what's wrong? What's wrong? What's wrong?
Speaker 2: How can I fix it?
Speaker 1: What can I do to? You know, we get and we go into that like mama bear protective mode. And my younger son looked at me and he's like, Mom, give him a minute. And I did get defensive with him for a second and I was like, what are you talking about? You know, and he's like, you know, and I was like, you're right, you know, and I was like okay, and I thanked him, you know, and I backed up and I was like, when he's ready to talk to me about it, he'll talk to me about it, and sure enough, he did a couple hours later talk he opened up and it was like such a great lesson and reminder of like, so you know, you need to give people space and you can't just have what you want when you want it. And that's been a really hard lesson for me. And I think it's also like being at the helm of a company and having this like mentality of like I can do and say whatever I want because I'm the boss and blah blah blah, you can just do whatever. That bleeds over into your real life, which you know, my kids are kind of a living example of that of like you know. And I used to say things to my kids like I've been around longer than you guys, and I just know. And they're like, you don't always know, mom, you know. And it's like, you know, so your kids are like talk about mirrors, you know, and they they've all of that awareness. I think has been such a gift to me, and that you can get that anywhere in your life, from your best friend, from your spouse, from someone who works for you or with you. It's like, if you ask genuinely, they're going to tell you. And like, what a gift to like get that awareness, and you know, and it does sting for a second, and then you're like, oh, okay, I'm going to take that and be better. My best friend tells me stuff too, you know. It's like thank you, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it requires that beginner's mindset, that humility to accept it and receive it. And my wife does it with me all the time. And it's so much easier to defend yourself, to mask yourself, to shield yourself in a false sense. And what you don't realize is every time you pretend to shield yourself from good feedback, you're just setting yourself up for more downfall. It happens again and again, and the ego is so well equipped to keep drawing the sword and cutting down everything in its way, and it's perfect at it because that's its job. Yeah, but it's not protection. It's actually your resilience is getting thinner and thinner and thinner and getting weaker and weak and weaker. I wanted to ask you because you're shifting into that, you know that. I love how honest you were about the kind of feedback you get from kids. I think people often talk about, oh, you know, my kids said I'm not cool anymore, whatever, that kind of stuff that is insting. But hearing this kind of stuff, do you think it's because you definitely have a take on this in your book, Like do you think it's possible to be really materially successful and have a happy marriage. I got those two things possible.
Speaker 1: My first marriage, which was like sixteen years, didn't work, not because of the business, And I think that it's like I joke a lot that, like people were like, you know, it must have been hard to work with your husband. I was like, yeah, we got divorced, you know, but that's not really you know, it's a joke. Which of course is like a deflection, but more true was that, like we probably never should have gotten married in the first place. Like we met when we were twenty six, and I'm pretty sure I put this in the book, that he tried to call the wedding off a month before the wedding and I was like, oh no, we are not doing that, like and he had some real good reasons for that, Like, you know, the relationship was really hot and heavy in the beginning, it had faded quite a bit, like the intimacy wasn't really there, but we were best friends. And I would later learned that, like my parents had that marriage, which they ended up getting divorced too, And I think I definitely emulated my parents' marriage, which is just wild when you read all that about how we do that, because I didn't see it at all. But you know, we we had kids very quickly, which I really wanted. I was very like, I'm very driven, and I was like, I want children, and so we had kids a year after we got married. And then you know, like I said, we started the business drive Bar when my kids were three and five. So it was like boom boom boom, and Drive Bar felt like a third baby, and then you know, Cam was doing all the creative and I was doing all the other stuff, and so you know, we're on this path.
Speaker 2: And I knew all along.
Speaker 1: And so did he, even though we didn't want to admit it that like this wasn't like this can't be it, this can't be like what it's supposed to be.
Speaker 2: But you know, we didn't.
Speaker 1: Want to like disrupt our lives, and we you know, it's just like it's a lot to get divorced. And I didn't want to be a divorced person. And I liked the facade that I had at least two really cute boys with great hair and this amazing husband and he was like the you know, the brainchild of the creative driver, which is amazing. I was like, I loved the way the package looked, but I knew it wasn't right, you know, the material success. I didn't I didn't want to shatter the whole image, you know, and and obviously, like i've you know, come to realize that like you just you have to and that's the message, ruth of it all. And then it was then I made the really hard decision to end the marriage. And then my son, who's now eighteen and doing really well at Dennison. He went into rehab because he started doing drugs and there's a whole chapter about that, and just my life completely unraveled, you know. And and to your question, it was like, on this hand, I had all this success and I was like doing all this cool stuff, and like anybody who didn't know me, I was like I was a guest on Shark Tank, like the coolest thing ever.
Speaker 2: I was like on Ink magazine on the cover.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just like all these really cool things were happening, and you look at my life, like, Wow, what a cool life she's got. And then all this success and I was being you know, praised, and it was great, but then my life was falling apart, you know. And so no, I didn't I wasn't able to hold both. And then I come out of Grant after about two years, like it really worked, all the treatment we put Grant through, and he really came out on top, and he really did the work, and he's such a I mean, he ended up in a couple of different programs. One of them was an outdoor wilderness program in Utah, which I actually think every human should probably have to go through. We went to visit him once and he was like making fire out of like, you know, two sticks, and he was like learned how to mean the thing. It was amazing and I was like, this is really profound, and he really came out such a better.
Speaker 2: Person on the other side. And it also brought me and.
Speaker 1: My ex together because we had to like do group family group therapy and family there and all the things. And it was also one of those things that I actually thought might kill me because it was so painful, but it actually was a blessing in disguise. I mean, the insight and the person that Grant turned into and the other side of that is just remarkable. And it brought me and my ex back together as friend and like we learned how to co parent because of all that, and even my younger son really bet I mean, it was all like such an amazing blessing. At the time, I wouldn't have ever i mean asked for that, you know. And so it was like the both and and the odds and the duality of what I was living. And then I came out of that situation, you know, and rushed back into another relationship that was like now I'm looking for like real love because I didn't feel like I had it the way I wanted it in my first marriage. And then I jump into that, you know, And at that time we were like, you know, it was right before that I met him, like five months before the pandemic, and I was already kind of like transitioning out of dry Bar in a lot of ways because the company was so big, we had so many people running it now, and what I was doing on a day to day basis wasn't really there anymore. And and now I was like, you know, just looking for love and like and then I found it and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, oh, I think this is what it's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: And I was, you know, madly in love with this man, and I wasn't paying attention to anything else, you know, and to any of the red flags that were there that I now really see you we're there. And so I again to your question, which is such a good one, like I couldn't hold both.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It was like I now I was like stepping away from Drybar and now I was stepping.
Speaker 2: Into just love.
Speaker 1: And I lost completely lost myself on that side.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It was like I lost myself in the dry Bar world and put my love life and even my kids a little bit on hold. And now I was in the other side of it where I'm madly in love, and I lost the other side of my own personal purpose, you know, and I kind of enmeshed into his world. And I was like, oh my god, And now, as you know, we're going through a divorce and I could never have imagined that would happen. But on on the other side of it, I'm like, oh, yeah, you know. It's like what I haven't learned yet, which I'm hoping I get now, is that, you know, I have to keep myself intact, like what do I love and what do I want to be doing?
Speaker 2: And can I love somebody.
Speaker 1: Else while I'm in that place, because I would throw everything else out the windows.
Speaker 2: Like when I was building Drybar, it was like only Drybar.
Speaker 1: When I was like falling in love with this new man, it was only him, and I lost myself and like he was building a business and he was really busy and he had little kids and whatever, and so I threw myself into his world and like kind of forgot about myself and even now and hasn't been that long, but I'm like coming back into my own and I'm like this book and I have all these projects and I'm like, oh, I'm getting back to myself and I would like to have love too, but like also, you know, and I'm so it's such a good question. I love that you asked it because I haven't been able to find it yet and I get it now and now I'm like anxious to like try it out, you know, and be like, can I be in love madly in love, have the right kind of love with a person and myself and what I'm doing. I haven't been able to figure that out yet. And I think, you know, I think a lot of us it falls one of those things inevitably fall by the way. I guess. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know how other people's lives are.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, I just you know, it's funny. I was we were talking to a couple recently and they were the wife said something like, you know, our marriage is good enough, and I was like, you know, and she said it in front of her husband, and the husband was like, you know, and I was like, there're definitely some stuff going back over there. But it is interesting and it's like, how do you do that?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if you guys, No.
Speaker 3: I mean I don't. The first thing is the challenging thing about any relationship, whether it's business or marriage, is that there's two minds. And as we know, our mind is always changing and growing and evolving. Now imagine that times too. Are they changing at the same time in the same way?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, Are they having the same thought at the same time every day? No? Do they have the same dreams and aspirations every day? No? And so we should be more surprised when people get together and stayed together than when people said and move apart. It's actually remarkable that anyone could spend their life with another person for a long amount of time than it is that people find it hard to stay.
Speaker 1: I mean that statement in and of itself makes me feel so good, because it's like, I've had this shame. I didn't want to be divorced once, and now I'm heading into divorced twice. And I really I think a lot of my sadness and grief when this first happened was because I was like embarrassed and I was like, I, what, like this second marriage, I'm getting divorced again, like holy shit, you know, and just all the like shame, what's wrong with me? But it's such, which is why I really love and I hope people who are listening to that like feel that too, because and I was telling you before, like I get a lot of people who now reach out to me and they're like, I'm really unhappy in my marriage.
Speaker 2: Should I leave my husband?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I don't know, don't ask me, but like it's a good thing to ask yourself, you know, And I do think you're right. It's like we grow and change and you know, and in my case, I don't think we were having the conversations enough. That's like, and we ignored a lot of things. And granted it was like a really weird time and our relationship got very fast tracked because of COVID, and like we moved in together after five months. I don't know that we would have done that had COVID not thrust this like very crazy change into all of our lives. And you know, I think it all happened the way it was supposed to you. But it is a like, yeah, we're always growing and changing and how do you do that together?
Speaker 3: There's two kind of thought experiments that I think can help people with what we're talking about, not as solutions, but as And it's what you just said, if you're not having the right conversations with yourself and if you're not having the right conversations with that person, yeah, everything's going to feel like a surprise. Yeah, And everything's going to kind of be a random event. And all you can do. You can't make someone stay with you, and you can't make something work. All you can actually do is track whether you're getting closer or moving further apart. That's actually all you can do is track and monitor, because like I said, so much is changing all the time, and so all you can do is track change. You can't force a result or a direction. You can only track change and try and move closer together and move apart. And it's what you said, like I think, when we think about the word balance, if you think about it, we all have a finite number of hours, we have a finite number of resources, and we have a finite number of amount of energy. So if you had one hundred percent and you said you've got yourself, you've got your partner, you got your work, you've got your kids, and then you've got your family, and you put twenty percent into each of those, Now you're going to get a twenty percent result on each of those. That's a balance life if we look at it in that way. So if it doesn't work, or it may work for someone, but the idea then being okay, well, now you got like a eighty percent return on your career, which means eighty percent of your energy was going into the work part, which means then five percent was going to all the others.
Speaker 1: You've got a huge as Yeah that was me in the driver error.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, And so when we look at that, we just go, well, how can any human ever achieve perfection? Any human, including me, including everyone. We're so everyone is so limited that our ability to make everything and everyone happy and successful is mathematically impossible. So if it's mathematically impossible, let's stop pretending that we're able to nail every part of every life. And let's be honest and say I'm focusing on this in this era or this phase, or this month or this year. That naturally means I can't focus on these three areas. And I think people who stay together or adapt or whatever in a healthy way are people who found a way of saying, I understand what you're focusing on, and I get that and I respect it. But guess what, when you're back and you have time, I may be focusing on something else. And so I think anyone who's navigating their relationship in a healthier way, there's no better or worse, but in a way that we would consider healthier. It's only because two people are communicating, as you said, enough when they're just having conversations. It doesn't mean there's a perfect standard, or there's complete intimacy at all times, or they're having the best you know, sexual relationships at all times while everything else is going on like just mathematically impossible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's so interesting too, because I think you don't want your avoiding dealing with something that you know is there. It's like you said, you're not always going to be on the same page. You're not going to you're going to grow differently and whatever, and it's like, you know, in our case, it was like we weren't you have to again. I don't mean to be like a broken record, but going back to like you're in that inner voice of like you know, for me, I knew there were things that weren't right. And I think now, and you know, I work with therapists and coach and I have lots of people, you know, because I love getting is I love getting as much? I mean now, I'm like, I love the feedback. Give me all the feedback, Like I really want to hear as many perspectives as I can and from people that like I really trust and admire. And you know, one of the things that I was talking to my coach about recently was like, because I've I've been trying to like put a bow on this to like make myself feel better about it not working, and I've come to realize like if well, I'm like, if we had had the conversation that we weren't having, you know, the right I mean, you're shaking your head because you know what I'm gonna say, What if we had talked about the thing, maybe it would have worked. Maybe it wouldn't have worked, Like obviously nobody nobody knows, you know, And and and he and I had that conversation in the aftermath of all of this, like had we called out, you know, one of the big things that wasn't working for us early on that we both did not want to call out because it would have potentially probably meant that the end of the relationship, and we didn't want that. You know. We were very like wrapped up in like the excitement and the newness and the lust and the chemistry and the passion and all the things that happened when you're brain. I mean, I'm sure, I'm sure there's some science on like what happens to her, Yeah, but you know, and so we weren't. We didn't have those conversations. And perhaps had we had it, maybe it would have shifted and we could have figured something out that would have changed the directory of our relationship and it maybe it had worked, and maybe it wouldn't have.
Speaker 2: But we didn't even.
Speaker 1: Have the conversation, you know. And that's the thing. It's like, you have to have those honest conversations in work, in business, you know, in business, in your personal life, and if you're avoiding them, it's going to come back around.
Speaker 2: Like you can be sure of that, you know.
Speaker 3: I always say there are like there are four check ins that I do with my wife regularly, and so every day I try and ask a simple one what was your highlight of the day, or what was exciting today, which is an easy one. Anyone can ask that very simple Every week or month, I ask, you, know, is there something coming up that I can help you with? Like is there something you're struggling with or something that's on your mind that I need to be aware of or conscious of? Every quarter I ask is this relationship going in the direction you want? Or is it going in the direction? Ife one? If it isn't, what are we both willing to do to put it in the right direction? Are you willing to do something? And am I? And then every year a simple one of like, well, what's your goal this year? Or what are you pursuing this year? And those four questions or checkings don't save a relationship. They do what I was saying earlier is they help you track whether you're on the same page or you're completely on another page, and if you're even aware and conscious. And the reason you have to do that is those should be four checkings you do with yourself. Coming back to your point, like checking in with every day and going myself, what's my highlight today? Checking with myself every week or every month and going, hey, what do I need help with this month? Who have I asked for that. Every quarter is my life going in the direction that I wanted to go in? And every year what am I pursuing? Like If I'm not checking in that with myself and I'm not checking in that with my wife, then how can I know myself? And how can I know this human? And I think the assumption that I know someone like i've you know, me and my wife have only been together for ten years, But it's all I know is that she's constantly evolving, growing human. Sure, just because she's over thirty doesn't mean that she's fully formed and done. God no, and neither am I. And just like your children are growing up, your son's are changing and growing, I think we assume that kids grow and adults stay the same. Yeah, And it's like, well, wait a minute, that's so untrue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I.
Speaker 3: Think that's what I'm always trying to stop my mind from normalizing that. Oh I know her now, Oh I know how she's going to react.
Speaker 1: Isn't it. It's such a like that fixed mindset. And I'm so guilty of that because I'm such a like I want everything wrapped up in a pretty bow. I'm like, I like things like really neat and clean and tidy, like physically you know that. I'm like, I just want to know what's happening, and like, you know, accepting uncertainty and like life is completely uncertain and if you can surrender to that, like but it's just it's hard.
Speaker 2: It is really hard to.
Speaker 1: Be like, Okay, I'm gonna like go with the flow. And I've read that who is it? Firstly's daughter wrote a book called Be Like Water, you know, And I was like, and I love when I remember it because I feel like I need like posters all over my house of like all the thing that you just said and all these things you're like, oh, yeah, you can't fight the current, Like you can't, you know, you can't fight it. And it's like if you can surrender to it, and like, you know, and that the fact that we are always changing and growing. And I love that you said about tracking it and and I think there was a phase in our relationship when we were doing more of like check ins and we probably had listened to something like this and we're like, oh, we should be checking in more. And then eventually we stopped doing this and you're like, oh man, we lost we lost our way you know, and it's just so easy to do that, and you know it and it really does like straddle defence on business and personal because I did it all the time in the dry bar era when I would like, you know, stop paying attention to what was going on people around me and stopped having you know, those conversations like I really needed to be having, and just like would get all like sulky, and you know, like why wouldn't Why wasn't I having those conversations? I was, I was causing my own suffering, you know. And it's like we just as humans do that, which I you know, which I think is like the self awareness piece. It's like the things that we use to nurture ourselves, like what we're listening to, what we're watching, what we're reading, you know, if you kind of sometimes I'm like, especially in the last few months, having gone through going through my divorce and being so sad, and I'm like ingesting so many books and so many things, and I'm like, Okay, I've read enough, I'm done. I'm good. But then I'm like, no, I'm not. I got to keep I mean, I got to do at least a couple of things a day. That like keep me on that spiritual path, you know, And it's like, what's the word I'm looking for. I don't want to say it's like a job or responsibility habit, you know. Yeah, It's like it's so important. It's so easy to lose track of that, especially when like something you get really excited or you meet somebody new and you're like, which is exactly what I do. I'm like, oh, I'm so happy now. I'm like, I got it. I don't get I only to do with any of that stuff anymore, Like, you know, yeah, I remember and ruled in.
Speaker 3: I want to thank you for being like honest about it and so real and being so messy about it, because I think that's all of us, right, Like that's what we're all looking for, and we're all looking to have a perfect start and a perfect end, and we're all looking to have like the perfect person and the perfect relationship with ourselves, and none of that exists. Talk me through this, because I have so many friends who, like you, would feel shame and guilt for getting divorced and so they never will. Or I have a couple of friends that have kind of had the courage to get to the other side, but they now experience the judgment or they feel the shame that comes from other people's projection of it. Yeah, what is the hardest thing about getting divorced? Like, what's the toughest part about it?
Speaker 2: I've been on both sides of it.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, we're the first of wars after sixteen years, you know, feeling like I did, the love that I wanted, an intimacy that I wanted wasn't there. So I was like, it was funny because I when I first left the marriage, I was like, you know, like rearing to go, and I was like dating really quickly and all of that. And then very quickly the thing happened with my son, and then I realized that, like dating wasn't so easy, and now I'm a single mom. And at the time, my ex didn't really want to be talking to me, and so I was like my world spun out of control and I fell into a bit of a depression. And I remember people telling me that like, even though you're not in love with your ex husband anymore, he still held like a space and energy that is no longer there, and it's like a death And I for months and months and months.
Speaker 2: I refused to believe that.
Speaker 1: I was like, it's not a death. Nobody died, like I took it very literally, and I was like he's alive. Like I would not allow my brain to like understand that, you know, until I finally did. And it's like, you know, when you it's like when the student's ready, the teacher appears mentality. And I was like, I'm sure a lot of people said it to me, but it was like I was on some show with this guy who wrote a book called Energy Speaks. Don't if you've ever heard of it, and he was talking about energy and whatever. And after the show, I pulled him aside and I like very quickly told him what was going on. And I was and how like I was, you know, coping with my divorce and I was in this depression. And he was like, listen, your husband, even though you don't love like love him like that and want to be with him, he still held an energy that's gone and that is a very big hole, like black hole for you to fill in your life. And it's just gonna, you know, take some time, which isn't rocket science. And I'm sure other people said it to me, but at that moment I was like, oh my god, HiT's right. And so that change of life of like your whole life being one way and then it becoming another way. And in my case, like my son going through rehab and that like very hard time. So it was all rolled into like just being hard and I was really sad and I and I was really struggling and you know, and then the identity stuff started to kind of creep into and so that was that was hard. I think from like more of an identity like a personal identity standpoint was hard. And like a rebuilding my life after so long, this divorce was was quite different. It felt just much more like heartbreak. Like I was heartbroken, like just heartbroken, and I'd never experienced that kind of heartbreak. I recognize now truly that it's it's for the best, and I think for both of us, for all of us, it's for the best, but it just hurts so bad that like to experience heartbreak like that where you're like, oh, someone just put it really well. That like trauma is the intersection of unexpected and overwhelm And I think that's such a simple way to understand trauma. It's like this thing you didn't see coming really and then the overwhelm of it, like the boom, you.
Speaker 2: Know, and that's kind of what it was for me.
Speaker 1: I was like, I may never recover from this, Like that's how like devastating it was. And I think, you know, because I think I talked to you right around the time it was happening, and I was so sad. It's like I'm never gonna be okay, you know, and I'm you know, it's and I'm okay, you know, and i've and i've when the fog starts clear, because it's like it's real muddy when you're in it, and you know, I mean quite literally, when you're in fog, you can't see. And it's the perfect analogy to me, is like I was in so much fog around it and like my ego is all like bent out of shape. And I was, you know, and I was worried, like my kids were going to be mad at me, and I was worried what the world was going to think and all this stuff. And then I was like, now as the clouds and the fog started to clear, I'm like, oh no, this was not ultimately the right thing, you know, And maybe in some universe like had we have these conversations, we've done this thing, da da, maybe it.
Speaker 2: Would have been right, but it just wasn't.
Speaker 1: And this was the way it all went down, and I realized that, like, oh this there's a lot of lessons here, and there's a lot of medicine, and I've learned so much and I'm so grateful for it now, you know, like I'm still coming out of the anger of it a little bit, but I am ultimately just really grateful for all the lessons that I've learned. And I think I at this earlier I like who I am on almost every level now more than I did then. I had. It was a lot of tough lessons I had to learn, and I was looking at myself in this lens that I had not looked at myself through of like why he made that decision and why he didn't want the marriage anymore, which is just I mean, you can imagine, I mean, you put yourself in those in that for a second. If your wife was like I want to divorce right now, you you would just be like it's devastating if you're you know, in love with somebody, but then when and so I was like trying I've tried to now put myself in the very painful place of like why why didn't he want to be with me? And sure like I not not to go down the rabbit hole of like I'm a terrible person and I'm not worthy. It's not that. It's more of like, let me see what what the things were that I didn't like about myself that I can now see through his eyes, And this is not a conversation with him. This is a conversation with me and how I perceived a lot of things and the way I acted and the way I showed up a lot that I don't like. You know that I'm like, oh, I don't ever want to show up like that again. And what a gift and what a lesson to like be this better version of myself now. So to answer your question, those were like the hardest things of it, but it is I'm literally living proof that you can you will get through it. And everybody kept saying that to me, and I would grasp onto that, like when people would say it's you're going to be okay, it's gonna I promise you're going to be okay, and I would like hold on to that, like thank you. I needed other people to say it to me because I couldn't find it in myself.
Speaker 2: I could, I didn't believe it.
Speaker 1: But if enough people said it to me, like I promise you, and so many people said that to me, I promise you, You're going to be okay. It's you know, it's it's a beautiful thing to have, like a community of people around you that will tell you that and that you and I'm like, are you sure? Like do you know? And they're like, I know, you know, And it's lofty, but it's true, you.
Speaker 3: Know, So you know. What I find so hope giving about your choices is that you turned towards people, things ideas that would help and support you. And I think that that's the hard part, Like it's so easy and it's natural and should not be judged at all, but it's so easy for you to go off the reils and go in different directions. And the fact that you had the inner wisdom and the intuition to say, actually, I'm going to turn towards advice and therapy and coaching and insight and learning and reading and hearing this message from a supportive community, Like that's what I want people to take away because I want you to hear that that that's the choice we have to try and make. And something you said, this concept you're talking about, the intersection. Something sparked for me as you said that, and I was going to complete your sentence, but I didn't want to because you know, I didn't know what you were going to say, and that's why I waited, because I didn't know what you'd read or heard. But I was thinking about it that when I heard the word. When you think about trauma or even like a trigger that eventually leads to trauma, it's actually the intersection between an unexpected event but a familiar feeling. And so there's what you were talking about earlier as well, like how you repeat your parents' marriage, like the idea that it's an unexpected because you didn't think you would ever do that, but then it's a really familiar feeling and you're like, oh, I feel that, or like I'm going through a divorce. Someone's asking me for a divorce. It's an unexpected event, but it's a familiar feeling of I don't like myself already, and this is a reminder of something I know deep down, and it's that familiarity with that unexpectedness that completely converges to create such disharmony and misalignment in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really does because you're like, and it's amazing when you have like a great support system around you telling me that, no, you're a good person. It's like, you know, my best friend and she would tell me, like we would, yes, you have culpability here, you know, and we would. She knew it my relationship very well because she's my best friend.
Speaker 2: But no, you're not a bad person.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: There are things that you had to learn about yourself and there are things that you know you want to change, but it doesn't mean you're a bad person. And it's hard to live in that duality of like beating yourself up in the shame that we can put on ourselves because this marriage failed. And I'm like because in the beginning, I was like, this marriage failed. You know, I'm a terrible person. No one's ever gonna love me again any any man I'm going to date and be like, oh, you're a marriage twice sorry se yah, you know, which isn't true, you know, but it's it is the things that you know we do, which you know I have spent a lot of time. A lot of the stuff that I read is on like, you know, mindset and the brain and how powerful the brain is and how we can change our thoughts and that stuff's also fascinating to me, you know, like that you can we have control. I didn't believe that until now, like until very recently. I was like, it is what it is, you know. But now I'm like, oh, we can change our thoughts and we can you know, decide, and it's like there's a to me, there's like a well, you still got to grieve the thing, but I can also because I was like, you know, I was I started listening to Joe Despenza.
Speaker 3: Yeah of course, yeah, he's been on the show four times.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, I think I might have discovered him through your show. Actually I love that guy and I love what he says, you know, and I but I had some people be like, yeah, his stuff is great, but like you still have to grieve the stuff, because I was like, I'm just gonna believe this, you know, And it's like, but there's still the grief over there. And I think that's another challenging part of like anything like dying, is that the grief your body physically needs to go through if you change your mindset too fast, and like you know, so it's kind of an interesting I think it's a little of both. I'm really fascinated by the whole thing the brain can do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. When you look at grief and loss, it's like, there's the grief and loss of that person, right, and then there's the grief and loss of the person you were with that person, yes, And they're two different things. Because you were a particular type of yourself, there was a part of yourself that was connected to that individual. And now not only has that person gone, that part that you'd created with them has also gone and it's no longer existent. And so there's some identity is such a fascinating subject in and of itself, and it's like you weren't complete in the first place either, and so there's just so many layers to it that are so challenging. And all of these things that you're talking about, whether it's your work, your marriage, your kids, they put a spotlight onto all of this and all the gaps. What would you say was the most important lesson you took away from your first relationship and then your second relationship because you've just you were talking so much about it was all about lessons atill and what would you say was the first one that you took away from the first and then from the second? What have you taken away? What's been the big lesson that stayed with you?
Speaker 1: You know, I think for me, and it's pretty vulnerable to say, but like, it was, like, oh, I I think I rushed into both of my marriages because I didn't want to be alone and I wanted to be in a relationship, and I just wanted to be in a relationship. There were right enough. I don't think anything's that were perfect, of course, but you know, I realized there were things in both of my marriages that weren't like exactly what I wanted them to be. And again, it's a hard thing to say because it's like nothing's ever exactly what you wanted it to be. With some of the things that were happening with us, I think I actually was pretty open and honest about them. But what we weren't open and honest about was like what I actually needed it to be. And if it wasn't going to be that like, then it probably wasn't going to work. And we both needed to come to terms with that. So you know, I think the lesson is like really level setting what you need and what that other person needs, not just what you need, Like sometimes you have to be the one that's willing to say like I don't think this is gonna work because blah blah. But like to me, I don't think I've ever been strong enough to be like I'm completely in love with you, but I don't think this relationship is going to work. Like who can do that? That's so hard?
Speaker 2: I'm sure people do.
Speaker 1: You know. It's like I think about it like so silly. I think just because I've watched so many movies in my life, like Legends of the Fall. Did you ever see Legends of the Fall?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's like it just it just it came to me recently. I was like, you know, you watch one of those movies and like you want the like the love story to work, and then it doesn't, and you're like and you you walk out of that movie, he's like so sad, and you're like, I just wanted them to be together, you know. And that's how I feel in this second marriage, like I really wanted it to work, and as the viewer watching the movie, you're like, I know, it wasn't right and it wasn't supposed to be and it's like, you know, and that's how I felt like Legends of the Fall, you know, it's like I feel like, oh, yeah, like why we're they together at the end? You know, you're and you watch that movie and I've watched a couple of times, such a great movie, and you're like, you know, she marries another guy, and you're like, sorry for anybody who hasn't watched a lot of that, it's been a while, yeah, And it's that is really how it's like landed for me in this Like sometimes like what we want to work just doesn't, you know, and you have to just learn to accept it. And I think that's that's been the big lesson for me. It's like, you know, a lot of people and people close to me know and have said to me in the aftermath of this, like you've you've had things work out for you pretty well most of your life, you know, And I have, and I'm really blessed and lucky in that way. And this has been like one of the first things that like didn't work out the way I wanted to, and I couldn't control it, you know, no matter what I did, I couldn't change the outcome. And like, oof, that's rough, you know, and I'm sure and I know a lot of people have dealt with that on a much bigger and harder scale than me. And and so that was a real lesson of like surrender of like you just don't get control. You know. I look at my first marriage and think that, like we were married for so long, and for so long I didn't have that like electric chemistry love that I wanted. But yet I had these two amazing kids, and I built this great business, and so like that was enough for me. You know, in this stage of my life, I feel like I actually want more of it all now, you know where I was always like, well I have this, I don't have that, but I have this. And now I'm like, I want to do something that I really love and feel passionate about for myself and I want to have a great love too, And now I'm trying to find both.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, And you know, Allie, like what I really appreciate about you, honestly, this conversation the book is like you're the real deal. Like a lot of people say they want to share their messy truth and they want to tell what's really going on. And I think it's almost like we're still trying to do it because it sounds and looks vulnerable, but it isn't and that's not you know, And I think that hearing from you today, all I've heard is the messy truth and it's not been. I can't think of anyone who's listening to this that isn't going to feel comforted, supported, held, and feel connected to your journey in some way. I don't think it's mathemat spiritually, emotionally possible for someone to master every area of their life perfectly at all times. I just want to throw that out there because we still keep putting it up when we say things like power couple, when we say things like oh my god, the perfect match, when we say things like you know, we don't realize how many ideas we've put into the world that oh my god, did you know they're both billionaires now? And they're both and it's like, you have no idea, just how many ideas you're we plant seeds in people's minds that these headlines exist in reality and if you're someone who knows anyone. You know that the headline is so untrue about everyone. And that doesn't mean people kin't have healthy relationships. It doesn't mean people can't have happy relationships. But do people have perfect relationships?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: And do people have perfect businesses? Know? And do people have perfect anything? No? And so's it's a mindset that we've all been so conditioned to believe. It's why we feel sad when Ryan Gosling doesn't end up with Emma Stone, Like, it's because we've been taught that that is the perfect yea, that is the perfect ending. And there's so much wiring that we have to uncross, and that's the work you're doing. And I think that that that's what I'm so appreciative of watching and observing you on this journey, is you're so courageously and bravely doing the hard un learning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a reminds me of you know, I'm sure you're familiar with Michael Singer and you know, of course, Yeah, there's been a few books that I'm like, I've listened to on repeat. You're just like, I just got to keep listening to this to get like through the day. It didn't sink into me until I started thinking about the whole movie thing, which is like he was like, you know, if you're in heartbreak or you're in sadness, He's like he equated it to Again, it only connected for me recently, not when he said it, but this like idea of when you watch a movie and you get sad about something, it's like you ow and you tell all your friends about it and you talk about it. It's like you almost like the sadness and the emotion that it brings in, but it's just like when it happens to you, you don't like it quite as much. But if you can put yourself in that, like it's just your movie, you know, and you're just watching it and you're not going to feel sad forever, you know, it's such a good perspective of it. And it's funny how it's like come full circle for me of like, oh, this is my sad movie and it's sad and then it's but it's also okay, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's almost like just like a movie, when you walk in and watch one part of a movie, you don't get the full picture. Yeah, yeah, she walked in on a sad scene, or you walked in on a scene where one guy is chasing another guy and you think the guy being chased is the bad guy, but actually it's the good guy. Like, there's just so much right we look at people's lives and snapshot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fascinating.
Speaker 3: You can't tell who's what and who's who, and who's the villain and who's the hero. And yeah, becoming an observer in our own life is so hard to do. But Ali, we end every episode of On Purpose with the final five, and so these are your final five. They have to be answered in one word to one sentence maximum. I will ask you to go off if I feel like it. So Question number one, what is the best entrepreneurship advice you've ever heard or received?
Speaker 1: Progress over perfection? You know, I think that we as entrepreneurs we get stuck in this and I see it all the time of like, oh, I can't start this because I don't have this and I don't know this, and I don't have enough money on this, But like just start and you know you're it's it's never going to I mean, just we just talked about this. It's never going to be perfect. But just like just go.
Speaker 2: It'll you'll you'll get it. You'll figure it out as you go.
Speaker 3: And I think that's what people don't realize that I fully agree with you, and that's where the mistakes are made. But the problem is there's no other path. So if you just waited, weighted waited, you never get never make any mistakes, but you never get anywhere. And if you start and you stumble, you will make loads of mistakes. And that's what kind of exposes you. And there's all these flaws and everything, but you got somewhere and.
Speaker 1: It's that awkward yeah, and it's like you it's hard in the moment, like anything that's like worth anything is hard in the moment. You know, it's like the mistakes are hard. It sucks, but you learn from them. And it's very cliche, but it is so true, you know, And you're right if you don't get into a relationship, like you know, I have a friend who like is like hasn't gotten into a relationship because she's kind of scared. I'm like, you just just just go and even if it's not a good one, just go and like learn from it, you know, go on that date.
Speaker 3: You know, absolutely second question, what is the worst entrepreneurship advice you've ever heard or received.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that earlier you pointed out how I you know, I took the advice from the women that I was serving in my mobile business. What I didn't do was take the advice from like a bunch of men who didn't understand this business, you know. And I'm not a big fan of like decision by committee. Yeah, and not to say that I don't want like trusted people around me. How Yeah, it's like I don't I don't believe in this, Like let me just ask a million people and then figure it out. Like I I love using you know, Steve Jobs obviously a brilliant, brilliant man. It's like nobody knew that we didn't know we needed iPhones and maybe we don't need iPhones, but like we sure love them, but but we didn't know we needed them, No, I know what you say. Yeah, Like even the I feel like I saw a preview of the new movie coming out about the founders of Blackberries.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know I saw.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure I didn't dream it. And because you know the story, the story is really fascinating it's like, like, I think the premise of it is that the founder of BlackBerry, this is so aproposed to what we're talking about. It's like the people in his company came to him and said, like, I think there's something coming out. We need to change from what we're doing and like going to this smartphone world. And he was like, no, that's not gonna work. That's not gonna happen. And everybody in the company was like, only is gonna happen. And obviously we know what happened, and BlackBerry went away, which, by the way, my brother like had the last BlackBerry standing as he loved the little button. A lot of people did, and the BlackBerry was like revolutionary. They were amazing. They were the first thing, you know. But this this the story, as I believe it's set up in the preview, is like that company could have taken the similar paths as iPhone did, but they didn't. And again I'm loosely remembering the story, but I just think it's really fascinating that you got something. You got to just like try something and see if it's going to work, and see, I people are gonna want it. And I'm I've always been a massive fan of Steve Jobs, and I'm like so many others and the iPhone, and you know, it's like it's just so cool like this, you know, he.
Speaker 2: Invented this thing that became this thing.
Speaker 1: You know, and so you know, I feel like, don't ever get too caught up on what people think of your idea. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you remind me of a famous quote from Henry Ford. He said, if I would have asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses. Yeah, and like that that.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's great because that is what it is.
Speaker 3: If you do that committee in that focus group. Yeah, you can't necessarily think beyond what you see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, and so many ideas don't make it, So many ideas fail and lots of them don't work, but like might as well, somebody's got to try.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't get anywhere, you.
Speaker 3: Know, absolutely, all right. Question number three, what is one habit, mindset, or practice that you believe every entrepreneur should try.
Speaker 1: To develop some sort of awareness practice, you know, whether it's through entrepreneurship, Like I listen to your meditations all the time. Yeah, and I've gotten into this place of every morning before I now not always, but most of the time. I before I get on my phone and check all my stuff and do all the things like I like keep my phone on sleep mode and get into a meditation while like I'm still in bed, and I think that like quiet time in the morning, and then I'll usually like write for a little while, not even like a page, you know, just something to get like like the cobwebs out almost, you know. And I think it's I think it's just important as a human, but you know, as a as an entrepreneur, just like you know, like level set yourself and I and I really try to do it before I go to bed at night too.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I always go to sleep now, whether I'm really tired or not, to like some sort of like sleep meditation. I think I only catch like the first like five or ten minutes. Yeah, but I really love that. And I never had a practice like that before. And I'll tell you I never had a practice like that until my separation happened, and I was like, you know, I'm by myself. We used to like watch TV and then fall asleep and like again that was that's like one of those things. And I'm like, I'm so glad. I almost never turned my TV out of my bedroom anymore. And I know that probably a lot of people don't believe even in that. And I'm actually about to move and I'm like, don't want to put a TV in my bedroom because I feel like I almost never watched TV in my room anymore, because by the time I get in bed, I usually want to read, I want to do my meditation, I want to write, and by the time I do all that, I'm so tired. And I also, I don't know, I pick up so much random information. But I heard somewhere somebody said it. Maybe it was you, who knows because I watched much of your stuff, but like, by ten thirty, you should be off screens.
Speaker 2: I think it was maybe Huberman who said it.
Speaker 1: And because from ten ten thirty to four, it's like your brain starts to go into depression. Again. I don't remember the science, but I was like, whether it's true or not, I like this, like I want to I want to be off my devices by ten thirty and so that's really my goal now, which I used to stay up and watch TV till like midnight. You know, I'm so glad I don't do that. Anymore. I feel so much better. I mean, I was also on a mission to like I got to feel better here, like I got to get out of this depression and the sadness, so I better do everything I can do. And now I'm like, oh, I'm not really that sad anymore. I'm not sad anymore. But I think I should still keep doing these things, you know, and so that I think is important to have that kind of practice.
Speaker 2: And I really have come to love it.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful. I love it all right. Question fourum five. Question number four, how would you define your current purpose?
Speaker 1: That's very clear to me right now is like giving back, being of service, Like I feel really called to, like help others in lots of ways, Like I'm starting this volunteer program at COCHLA, which I feel really called to. I'm looking at me some stuff with animals, and I do a lot of mentoring for other entrepreneurs. You know. In some things there's like you know, money involved, and I'm speaking at things and you know, and I think that that's okay and good. And then there's some things I'm just donating my time, but it's all in like in the name of service. It's beautiful for sure, right now?
Speaker 3: I love that? All right. Fifth and final question, which we asked to every guest who's ever been on the show, if you could create one law that everyone in the world had to follow, what would it be, Oh, to be kind?
Speaker 1: We're just so divided because of you know, it's like, I mean, I think it's deeper than that, but it's like this notion of like, you know, even I said, I read something the other day that was like, anger is just grief. We had to like it was just like innate in us to be kind to other people, like you imagine totally what kind of world it would be? So much better?
Speaker 3: Well said everyone. In the book is called a Messy Truth How I sold my business for millions but almost lost myself by a New York Times bestselling author, Alli Web. You can grab the book right now. It's out right now, Share it, make you yourn, next book club pick, discuss it, dissect it. I mean, if you want to have a real entrepreneurial story and journey in your hand, this is the one to have. Ali, thank you so much for coming on the show today. This is amazing, genuinely being so open and honest and courageous in your own life and here and I look forward to continuing our new relationship. Yeah, very grateful for it. Thank you so much, Thank you so much for having me. If you love this episode, you will also love my interview with Charles Douhig on how to hack your brain, change any habit effortlessly, and the secret to making better decisions. Look, am I hesitating on this because I'm scared of making the choice because I'm scared of doing the work, Or am
Speaker 1: I sitting with this because it just doesn't feel right yet