Speaker 1: Welcome in What's Driving the Great episode two ninety nine on what is a really cool I've got to say mourning for me. I just got done doing Scott Van Pelt's podcast, and I've told the story before. I tell it, retell it to Scott about right before the debut of First Things First eight years ago, him reaching out to me, even though we didn't even know each other, saying like, hey, if you freak out right before the show, call me. And I did freak out, and I did call him. And he's such a great guy and a legend in the industry. I think Scott, Ernie Johnson, and Kevin Wilds are the only three people in sports media with universal approval rating where no one's ever been like, you know who I can't stand And they say, Scott van Pelt, that's a lane I'll never be in. But I'm a little envious of Scott for being able to be in it. So that happened. And the other thing is Washington Post wrote a pretty sweet article about me growing up as a Chiefs fan and now kind of being the voice of the Chiefs. There are demands. There are some absurd pictures in this article of me wearing the Chiefs fleece on set. They have a sweet picture of the never a Doubt tattoo. So if things couldn't you know, be coming up more perfectly for my exact sports opinions. The other thing that happened over the weekend was the Lakers traded for my second favorite player in the league. So now my favorite player in the league, Lebron James, plays with my second favorite player in the league, the Goat, with my large adult Slovenian son, So all that's great. We did a live reaction on Sunday morning that we got a lot of new viewers to the channel from. So if you're new, a little quick introduction like rate, subscribe, review, appreciate that. I'm Nick TV Show. First things first, that's Demanse. He's my son. I know it's a little complicated in the little bit. You'll figure out as it goes. He's in LA and we do this pod together two or three times a week and welcome in. So I thought demon's a this week would be all super Bowl, but when the biggest trading in NBA history happens, that changes things. So let's first quickly get to miss the cut. Yeah, well it's the it's the most shocking trade in history. And okay, so since you said that, let me just do this real quick before you miss the Before we do miss the cut single biggest trading in NBA history. The Milwaukee Bocks trade kaream Op Lilul Jabbard to the Los Angeles Lakers after he had led them to a title, had won three league MVPs. He then goes to the Lakers wins three more league MVPs and five titles. That's number one. Number two. The San Francisco Warriors trade Wilt Chamberlain to the Philadelphia seventy six Ers. He immediately rips off three consecutive league MVPs and wins the title. Number three, lukanncis traded at twenty five years old a Los Angeles Lakers. So it's the biggest trade in fifty years. It's the most shocking trade ever. We'll get to that in a moment. What missed the cut? Tyre Listen, Noah Lyles keeps trying to beef with Tyreek Hill. Stop it. Cooper cup Rams don't want him anymore. Kind of saw the writing on the wall coming and Taylor Swift wearing Casey right to the Grammys, demase. I gotta tell you they're a small little house. No, a little stress in the house. I'm not naming names, but a lot of the women or girls I live with, meaning my wife and or daughters, not only not Taylor Swift fans like actively you know, active non Taylor Swift fans. And at this point, I've got to tell you, maybe it's the chief's red bleeding through the veins. I'm like, I don't know. She seems pretty cool to Mendrick. Everybody seems to like her, Like I don't know anything about music, seems popular, so I don't the I don't. I can't call myself full blown swifty, but I got no problem with Taylor Swift. I like her music. Uh yeah, whatever it is, okay, demon, Let's get to the most shocking trade and NBA history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the trade her around the world. Luke obviously got traded for Anthony Davis in a first round pick, I believe. Uh, but a player of this caliber and being so sudden. What was going on over there though was so bad to where they just got Luke out of there so abruptly.
Speaker 1: The answer is nothing could have been going on over there so bad you would trade Luka Doncic without him demanding to be traded, all right, it's quite simply one of the worst transactions in the history of professional sports on the map side of things, and Bruce said that somebody you know in NBA circles called him and said that if the MAVs had called them and said Luka Doncic is available, his response would be who did he kill? And how likely can we cover it up? Like the idea that this player and I am baffled baffled by the number of people and it's not a lot, but the fact that it's any and the fact that it is includes the general manager of the Dallas Mavericks who have tried to convince themselves that because Luca, let's just say he's permanently out of shape. I don't buy that, but let's say he is. And let's say the guy actually has a drinking problem. I don't think he does, but let's say he does that that means you trade him. It's incomprehensible. So here's just some This is where it's very important that we have facts that we deal with. The argument for trading Luca was his condition, which I'm not going to act like is elite. But I am going to act like this. The most recent NBA season, who do you think played the most minutes of any player in the league, by by the way, by more than one hundred. The answer is Lukadjic to play thirty FTEs all those yes, okay, of course, but he played more minutes than Jason Tatum. He played more minutes Anthony Edwards, who were second and third. Yeah, of course. I mean, but are we like, oh yeah, and you and you saw what that he wore down in the finals? Yeah, maybe a little like the last year. In the finals, he was so incredibly out of shape. He only averaged twenty nine to nine and six, which was down from what he did in the conference finals, which is thirty two, ten and eight. So that's why I find this so ridiculous, because it's like, oh, man, guy's conditioning's brutal, Okay, so we need to make sure that he has five percent left in the gas tank. And maybe one of the reasons because in the conference finals, in the second last series of the year, the guy lit the Minnesota Timberwolves on fire and got him out of there in five games. In the semifinals, he got the Oklahoma City Thunder out of there, and in the first round got the Clippers out of there. Then they lost to Boston, who is awesome and was a better team. And it's like, oh, he's out of shape and he's terrible defensively. The MAVs last year, once they made the trades, were a top eight defense. So even with Luca's defensive limitations, you had a top eight defense. And you know what, it's exhausting being double and tripled teamed throughout a game. I just he is, at worst, at worst, the fourth best player in the sport. And he's younger than all the guys ahead of him. Again, I think he's the third best player in the sport. I think he's better than SGA. But if you want to say SGA has trumped him, fine, He's a few months younger than SGA. He's years younger than Jannis and Jokic. He is demand say he has five First Team All NBAS five five in a row. Here is the complete list of active NBA players with five First Team All NBAS or more. Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Jannie Harden, Luca. That's the list. Steph doesn't have it. Jokic doesn't have it. I think Steph doesn't have it. Steph has four Lucas five. I he is coming off the best season of his life. And the MAVs going into Christmas were nineteen and ten. Then he got hurt. They're seven and fourteen. Since then they have fallen apart without him. And it is so it listen when a trade is so bad that smart people are offering conspiracies such as the new MAVs owners are actually trying to tank the fan base so they can move the team to Vegas, as if that's a real rationale. And the reason the smart people think that could be going on is because no one would be this dumb to make this trade. I you have just created a catastrophic error the likes of which I've really Demanda. I've never seen. I've never seen a team opt into trading their generational star at the peak of his powers because they they're arguing defense.
Speaker 2: What do you meaning like a bunch of discussions were at It seems like it was just between two guys, Paulinka and Harrison.
Speaker 1: So that listen, I think that's correct. And I said something about Nico on TV yesterday that brew really disagreed with where I said, Listen, I think Nico Harrison got to the MAVs. He he's been a relationship guy, he was a sneaker rep at Nike. He's always he got the job because of great relationships with superstars. Did not have a great relationship with Luca. Luca had more power in the organization, and so he moved him out. So now he's the most powerful person in the organization. And Bruce said, and listen, Bruce knows Nico. I don't. And brew was like, that's basically that's unscharacter, And so I said, Okay, the alternative, he's one of the worst evaluators of talent and team building in the history of the league. Like, I don't know what's more of an indictment. I don't know that it was like a Machiavellian power move. Okay, that's too harsh. Fine, So the alternative is he doesn't know what he's doing. You traded like and it's not only that trading Luca is really unforgivable. How many guys could you have called about and the team just hangs up the phone. I honestly think the list is two. I think if you call about Wimby, the Spurs hang up the phone because he's so much younger. And if you call about Yokid, the Nuggets hang up the phone. I think everyone else there is at least a meeting. If you called about Yiannis, the Bucks say, let us call you back and they discuss it. It's if you call about Jason Tatum, the Celtics say, don't tell anyone we're talking about this, but let us call you back. If you call about Shay Now, I'm not saying they do it one for one, but they at least have a meeting. And certainly if you call, like, could you have gotten better than this return? I think so because I think that they are. I think Anthony Davis is excellent, but he's about to be thirty two. And if you're worried about Luca's injuries, how are you not worried about Anthony Davis's injuries. At the end of the day, you are a team that does not have your own draft pick. You being the MAVs in twenty twenty seven, twenty twenty eight, twenty twenty nine, or twenty thirty, so four years straight you don't have your own pick. Kyrie is turning thirty three and now has all the leverage in the world this summer to opt out and demand the Max, and Anthony Davis is turning thirty two, and your window is immediate as opposed to having a decade of Luca and Luca wanted to stay. Luca wanted the Supermax. This costs Luca one hundred million dollars and you you don't and if you're doing it, and it's not because you're just doing a full reset of calling Houston and asking for Thompson and Shingoon and all the picks or Thompson and Jalen Green and all the picks or I am. I know other people have made this joke, but it's true when the immediate reaction is, uh, you must have been hacked. This trade makes no sense. You got absolutely annihilated. So let's go to some of these follow ups. De Manse, Well, well, yeah.
Speaker 2: The Supermax thing with him about to get the hundred million, that's the GM just not wanting to give him the money. You're saying that. You said that, yeah, so they would be the greatest.
Speaker 1: So he was eligible for five years, three hundred and forty five million, and the because of his conditioning or injury risk or whatever they were concerned about giving that to him. The reason that's idiotic is because he would have actually had more trade value if you had signed him to the Supermax, because then the whole league you can auction him off too. The reason you couldn't technically hold a real open auction for Luca right now is he only has a year and a half left on his deal. So let's say Milwaukee was like, you know what, we will give you Giannis. But it gets out and Luca's like, Okay, do what you want, but I'm not staying in Milwaukee after a year and a half, then maybe they don't do the deal. If you have him signed to the Supermax and he's under contract for five more years, he can trade it wherever you want. Like, the return on this is just truly unprecedented. When the Nets traded Kevin Durant, they got four first round picks, Cam Johnson and McHale Bridges, and then they traded McHale Bridges for five first round picks. The MAVs got Anthony Davis, Max Christy, and one first round pick. They didn't even get both of the Laker picks and the flip side to that is I have heard, you know, for years, not so much these days, but you hear a lot about. Man, how much did the Lakers give up for Anthony Davis? They give a Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, brandon Ingram, the number four overall pick, and two more firsts. Okay, so the Lakers, and again everyone's like, Nick, are you gonna give Rob Bolinka credit here? I mean, did a great job with this one, There's no doubt about it. But I'm gonna play the game that everybody plays, which is Rob Bolinka gets credit and blame, and of course lud GM Lebron James gets credit and blame. And so people were like, well, Lebron had no idea about the Luca trade one hundred percent that is correct, but we all agree Lebron got him Anthony Davis. Right, So, ultimately the Lakers traded Lonzo Ball, brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and Max Christy and what ended up being four first round picks for a championship and for Luke A do Ancic. That's one of the greatest trades ever. Took those guys got Anthony Davis, got a championship, then took Anthony Davis added one first round pick and got Luke ad Ancic and now, and here's the other piece of it, Demons nineteen sixty to now sixty five years of basketball, there have been eight seasons total when the Lakers didn't have a top ten all time player or a guy who could be Jerry Weston, Wilt Kareem Magic, Shaq, Kobe, le Bron, now Luca. They were gonna for the first time ever be kind of out in the wilderness, and the MAVs gave him Luca. All right, let's talk about Luke and Lebron together.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Yeah, what do you think with Luca being over there, what did the next couple of years look like for them?
Speaker 1: Well, I think people are overestimating or overstating how bad of a fit this will be Luke and Lebron. You seem you seem like you don't you have your concerns about it.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I was. I was talking to Daniel yesterday. I think, like three or four years ago, it would have been bad. But now that Lebron's like waning and he's like older, I think I think it works. I think a while ago it would have been bad.
Speaker 1: But that's exactly how I feel Lebron has given If people watch Lakers this year, Lebron has been happy to give the car keys to Austin Reeves so he can play off ball. Right the people saying like, oh, the Lakers took a step back. Listen, defensively, they went from bad to horrifyingly bad defensively because Ad was their only great defender and he's gone. Now Now, I do think they're gonna make more moves for the deadline. They have to add a center. I understand that, But offensively they're going to be elite. Luca by himself, guarantees you a top six offense. By himself. You put LAGUDANCC on the team, you have top six offense. Now, every single possession you're gonna have all game long is either gonna be orchestrated by Luka Dancic or Lebron James. Are you kidding me? Lebron's gonna be able to play off ball Lebron's forties and year twenty two Like, yes, Historically, Lebron has not been wanted to hand the car keys to anyone. He's never in his life had a teammate better than him. Now he does, Like I think that Lebron's going to really enjoy it.
Speaker 2: You don't think Ad better than Lebron, like Weather playing snow.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. AD might have been the last two years better than Lebron in the aggregate, but Ad was still not the guy who was dictating the offense. ADI was not better than Lebron offensively. First of all, I don't think even right now, I don't think offensively is better. You can say he's better. He's the best defensive player in the league, sure, but on the offensive side of the ball, he wasn't better than him. And he also Lebron still had to because of positions, had to dictate everything. Lebron's never had a teammate that it was even close. As far as well, how are we going to get the best possession? The answer has always been giving me the ball. The only reason he's handed it over to Austin is because it's so exhausting to play that way like he can't he doesn't have the energy for it anymore. But now Luca will do it Luca. Lebron drafts Luca in every All Star draft. Lebron tried to sign Luca to his sneaker line. That doesn't even exist. He was gonna create it for Luca. Lucas said, Lebron is my basketball idol. Now they're on a team together, So I think that's gonna be awesome. I really actually think it's gonna be awesome offensively. And if they can make a move for a center. Here's here's what I know. Luca owns the thunder and if Lebron, because of Luca, can get to the playoffs with more energy, and that's gonna be This team's gonna be a bitch to play. You better be able to match buckets. Go ahead, I see the twinkle in your eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you're saying that the Lakers, they obviously got the better end of the bargain here with the whole Dallas trade, But this don't this year. You couldn't see Dallas being better than the Lakers, not.
Speaker 1: Pieces they have now. So no, So this is so a lot of people think that. I think that's insane, And that's not about the Lakers as much as it is about Dallas, which actually will just take me to takes on takes. The people ask me the most ridiculous reactions to the Luca trade. I saw, I am. There is a number of folks in the media who for the last couple of years have been as hard on Anthony Davis as anybody could imagine. And the moment he's on the Lakers anymore. Now he's awesome again. Now and now now the MAVs could be the I saw it take. The MAVs could be the one seed that the MAVs are. I would be very surprised if the MAVs won a playoff round. They built a team. Now they are going to be great defensively. I will give them credit that they will be great defensively. They have one guy on their roster, one guy that can create his own shot. It's Kyrie Or They built a whole team of guys that are catch and shoot specialists or defensive guys because they didn't have to worry about offense because they had Lukatanjij. Now you don't have Lukancij. You have two guys who have only ever been a part of winning basketball if they have had one of the single greatest offensive creators in the history of basketball alongside them, and Anthony Davis and Luca and Kyrie Irving with Lebron or with Luca. Those guys are gone now, so Like, what does Kyrie Irving look like on a team full of great defenders, but he is the only initiator of offense. Go ask the Celtics. And Kyrie's been awesome with the MAVs, but since Luca's been out there seven and fourteen like and so in Ad. I love Ad. I think Ad is an underrated player. But Ad is very hit and miss offensively. You gotta get buckets somehow. I just think the MAVs. The MAVs are gonna be an awesome defensive team that's gonna get whacked in Round one. And people are arguing the MAVs could be the one seed, the MAVs could win the title. I don't. Maybe I'll be wrong. I I do not see that. I saw it. You know, Barkley was big on the MAVs chances. Now I think Steve and A said Dallas could be the one seed. I think they're fourteen games out of first and the nine seed. I don't, I mean, honest question. Let me look this up real quick. If Dallas went undefeated the rest of the way, would that guarantee them the one seed? Dallas right now has twenty four losses. Okay, so if they went undefeated. By the way Anthony Davis currently injured, they would be fifty eight and twenty four. Do we think Oklahoma City's not getting to sixty wins. I think Oklahoma City's getting to sixty wins. So I'll go ahead and say they're not going to be the one seed. I think that the I think that if they won thirty two in a row, they wouldn't be the one seed. And you know what, maybe I'm a little too down on them. I don't think they're gonna win thirty two in a up. Here's what I think is more likely. The Dallas Mavericks are in the play in this year. That's what I think is gonna happen. I mean, right now they're the right now, they're the eight the So I just I don't I know. I was saying.
Speaker 2: Just to get a little bit better on defense, and eighty obviously isn't just a little bit better.
Speaker 1: But no, I mean, this is the part that I don't understand with the Lakers skepticism and the Dallas optimism is this, there's only two ways in this league to compete for a championship. One way is what the Celtics did last year. What the Thunder are trying to do what the Knicks are trying to do with the Calves are trying to do, which is have a great player, MVP candidate, ish guy and an amazing supporting cast Thunder with Shay, Celtics with Tatum Calves, with Donovan Nicks with Jalen Right. That's one way to do it. The other way to do it is to have one of the greatest players in the history of the league. That's what the Nuggets, Bucks, and MAVs had been trying to do. The MAVs now are in neither category. The MAVs now have a nice team, but they don't have a great team and they don't have a transcendent player. The Lakers were trying to do it the have one of the greatest players in the history of the sport. Way the problem was their guy who fit that category, Lebron James, is no longer in that phase of his career, so they had a hard ceiling. They would run into the team that has one of the greatest players in the history of the game at the apex of his powers, and they would lose the mevs. We're trying to do it, h Luca, take care of it please, and they made a conference finals, had a down year, made an NBA finals, and they opted out of it. So they can be one of the many teams that has two all stars, two All Star caliber guys. Man that don't do nothing for you. If you trying to win championship, just doesn't you better have if you're if the top of your roster is if the best player on your team is the eleventh best player in the sport or the ninth best player in the sport, the second best player better be the twenty first best player, and the third better be the twenty eighth, and the fourth better be the forty second, and the fifth better be the fifty fourth. You've got to just be stacking awesome guys to what the Celtics did, so what the thunder are trying to do? The mevs. I still just can't believe it. Luca's going to be one of the greatest players ever. He's thirty to a game in the playoffs. He's one of Luca in NBA history, is second all time to Michael Jordan in playoffs scoring, and is I think third all time in regular season scoring. And he gives you nine rebounds, nine assists and again this whole we're worried about his conditioning, durability. Man, last year, dude played ninety games thirty eight minutes a game. I get it. And that's the other reason this is great for Luca Demonse is he now gets to learn at the feet of lebron on how to take care of his body. Switch out bud bud light for red wine, switch out Hookah for some fine cigars, hire a chef, work out, getting a little bit better shape. And here's the real cruel thing. Demands for the MAVs. Let's say they were right that Luca was drinking too much, eating too much, wasn't being a professional, that they were gonna give him this money, and he was gonna be injured and out of shape and moody. Let's say all of it was correct, They're now going to be wrong because now he's pissed and motivated. Like maybe you would have been right, but now you're going to be wrong, Like, so there's no way to prove yourself right because now you're gonna have Can you imagine what Lucas gonna do to the MAVs the first time they play? Yeah? What if?
Speaker 2: What if the mass are to meet the Lakers in the finals.
Speaker 1: In the Western Conference Finals. Yeah, I don't. I think the best hope we have for them meeting in the playoffs is round one, and I don't think that's we would need. I don't know how that could realistically happen. Like could the Lakers move up to the three line and the MAVs move up to the six? I maybe could. I just don't you know, maybe everyone else is right and I'm wrong about the MAVs. They're about to just slight the world on fire. They move all the way up to the four and the Lakers stay at the five. God, I would love to see that. I would love to see it. I just people forget who quickly forgot who Luca was? And I shouldn't say people, because I think most just the MAVs did, and Nico Harrison did. And speaking of Nico Harrison, yeah, let's get to some of this go ahead. That's perfect.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, not only was the trade crazy, he was obviously vananas, but the things that he was saying at the podium, do you do you kind of want to you want to hit on that? It didn't seem like he made his case any better.
Speaker 1: No, and it looked like Jason Kidd was Chris pissed. Yeah, yeah, so, I mean Nico Harrison said to me, the future is three or four years, ten years, ten years from now. They're probably burying me in Jay by then. Not if you have Luca man. I mean that's the thing is. Yes, now, the future is three or four years. You did that to yourself. You had a twenty five year old, you traded him. Now to be listen, Luca turns. Let's just call everybody the age they're gonna be in six weeks makes it easier. Luke will be twenty six, a d will be thirty two, Kyrie W'll be thirty three. You had a twenty six year old to build around. Now now you have a thirty two year old big man to build around. One of the benefits to Luca being out of shape or whatever the hell you want to call it is you are seeing. It's not as if you're like, well, I wonder how his game will age. He has an old man game. Now he's got he's got a lectra weight on him. He gets you on his giant ass, on his hip, and then you you're just trapped. You can't guard him, he gets one step ahead of you, put you on his hip, and now you're just screwed that game forever.
Speaker 2: So I think this trade is horrible, But I do have to if he's playing an old man game now, then it's gonna get even more old managed when he gets old. He gets older, right, it's gonna get worse.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe, but such a great passer. Yeah, so you've made it like that, he said. Nico Harrison said he thought Rob Blinka was joking, you know, obviously, Yeah, I mean, it doesn't didn't tell Jason ca and then he said, quote, we feel he told everyone that would listen, defense wins championships, which, by the way, it's just not true, like you can't win a championship with an awful defense. But in the modern NBA, transcendent offensive players win championships along with good defense, like the Celtics were one of the greatest offenses ever. Jokic is not a great defensive player. Everyone thinks he's the best player in the league because of what he does offensively. Giannis is special because he does it on both ends, like it's just dump. He also said, quote, we really felt like we got ahead of what was going to be a tumultuous summer, him being eligible with a supermax, a year away from him being able to opt out of any contract. So we felt like, in front of that, only tumultuous because you wanted it to be. Is not tumultruous for Luke ad On just to be like, Hi, I'm an MVP candidate every single year, I'd carry the finals, I won the scoring title, I am first team All NBA every year. I'd like the max. And then you say, yes, of course you would, and you can have it. That's not tumultuous. I just listen. We'll see what happens with Nico. But I think he I think the MAVs losing Round one, and then Kyrie is like, hey, guess what, you have to give me the max the whole the contract you and it wouldn't be a super max like Luca's, but you were afraid of paying uh Luca. But now you have to pay me because I'm the only creator on the team and you have no choice. So I I and I will suggla in the off season. Well, I don't listen, there there's you know, I think in I do think there is a chance that Lebron leaves this summer. I do I think there is a chance that Lebron, if it goes great, I think Lebron might ex opt out and extend for less money and be like, holy crap, we can actually win a championship and I can be, you know, like a late stage Carl Malone, just a true power forward, get buckets, you can run everything. There's also a chance that it is a little clunkier than I think it's going to be, and that Lebron, you know, now that they've traded away ad that he's like, Okay, do I want to spend year twenty three, my final year potentially playing with Steph? Do I want to, you know, go do something else. I think in the summer there is a chance he could leave. I also think there's a chance he could be like man, I could play three more years because of this, try to win championships. So I think all of that is unknown. I do want to say this about Kyrie. I would have been terrified if I were the MAVs demanse to upset the delicate homeostasis. Kyrie has found himself in Dallas. Kyrie's been a perfect citizen, excellent on the court, no distractions, all of it. This is the finding out that the team knifed Luca like this. If there was any player in the league that I would be worried it could significantly hurt the team's relationship with that player, it would be Kyrie. Kerry's such a you know what I mean, thoughtful guy and so big on, like you know, we're not just cogs in a wheel. Like this is all of it. I would be really worried that Kyrie's gonna go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean not only Kyrie, but just like other players, like free agents, what does this say to them? Like that Dallas being a destination, I mean that certainly makes it less of a destination. I feel like if that's what they're doing to their top.
Speaker 1: Guy, that's what I feel like. I feel like everyone kind of understood, like, yeah, anyone can be traded, but the very best players in the league don't get shock traded, right, Like that's not a but now it happened, all right, let's go to the other NBA moves quick.
Speaker 2: So Fox and Levine, you know, under all that trade stuff, they also got traded and other players are probably feeling vulnerable. And Giannis even came out and said that he wants all European League players to play for big city teams. Do you think that this trade paved the way for more bananas trades coming in the future.
Speaker 1: All right, so here's here's what I think. Trade deadline's Thursday, which is just terrible by the NBA. You either got to move the trade deadline back a week or up a week. And by that I mean you want the trade deadline to either be during the bye week of the NBA, of the NFL playoffs or the week after Super Bowl when there's a dead time. What you don't want is the NBA trade deadline to be in super Bowl week and it takes you know, like Wimby getting de Aaron Fox if it happened next week would lead shows instead this week? It obviously the Luca thing ate all the took all the oxygen. But super Bowl would have you down the road. Yeah yeah right, But again, what would the Spurs have given up for Luca? Would they've given you every draft pick they have acquired, plus Castle plus Vasell Again, it's just you put Luca and Wimby together. Of course they would have. Here Here's what I feel very confident the Lakers are going to make another move because they have to get a big and the guy who I would be nervous about if I were that I might be getting traded. It's a guy I like a lot, but his Austin Reeves. Yeah, because now Austin's redundant. It's like, you know what I mean, Like the is Austin ever gonna have the ball in his hands when you have Luke and Lebron and he's their most valuable trade chip. And because Nico Harrison didn't make the Lakers give them Dalton connect or they're twenty thirty one first or a swap, the Lakers have real stuff to move that The Warriors are telling every reporter in the world they are trying. They are desperately trying to get another star. The only one I think they can get is Durant. And I don't know if I see that happening, that would be awesome, that now wouldn't feel like Dre Mair like it did ahead that I think I think cool enough, you know what I I mean. I think that they would have attention. So I think I think the Warriors are trying to get Durant. I don't think the Suns will trade Durant. Jimmy Butler has made it clear the Warriors were trying to get Jimmy Butler, and then Wendy reported, I mean Jimmy's Jimmy's Wendy reported that what scuttled the Warriors Jimmy Butler trade is Jimmy said, I won't sign an extension with the Warriors. His all anger at Miami is they won't give him an extension. They find him a trade partner who wants him and wants to give an extension. He's like, no, I don't want to do that. So Jimmy wants Phoenix and Phoenix only the Warriors thought maybe they could get Zach Levine. Levine now got traded. The Warriors might be manned without a country here for the rest of the season. For real they want They called out Lebron again. Lebron's not leaving this year. Lebron is going to see how this Luca thing plays out.
Speaker 2: And so Lamello wasn't it who talks to LaMelo LaMelo?
Speaker 1: I mean, was I okay, yeah, I saw that. Good luck? Good luck. I mean, you're trying to win a championship. We're adding LaMelo ball that ain't gonna work, guys, and so yeah, I mean it is. The NBA did a good job clawing a news cycle here, and the NBA has got to be so thrilled that for the rest of the twenty twenties, at a minimum, at a minimum, the Lakers are gonna be super relevant and so about as good as you could hope for. This episode of What's Right is brought to you by Daya Pizza featuring dairy free cheese made with their new Dea Oat Cream Blend dairy free Cheese. It's come a long way. Deya's leading the charge. Their pizza's offer the meltain stretch of traditional cheese without any dairy. Each day of Pizza starts with a perfectly crisp crust, layered with savory, satisfying toppings, and finished with cheese that melts and stretches beautifully. The Data oat cream blend delivers a creamy, cheesy texture that's indistinguishable from dairy based options. Every pizza is crafted to be dairy free, making the great choice for anyone seeking more inclusive meal options without compromising on taste. Data takes the concept of dairy free to a new level. Eliminating faam move fair fear of missing dairy. These pizzas delivered delicious taste and texture, making them perfect for any occasion, from casual dinners to game day spreads. Enjoy a faam move free pizza night with day of Visit dayafoods dot com for more information, or find DAYA Pizza at retailers like Whole Foods, Kroger, and Walmart. Coming soon to select publics and sprouts. Follow DAYA on Instagram and TikTok TikTok for more updates and recipes. All right, let's get some super Bowl stuff again. Thursday's show. We're gonna have all of our super Bowl bets and ambling show and prop stuff. Will do that, But let's get to the Miles Garrett news before we get out of here and some other super Bowl stuff.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, So, after eight years in Cleveland, Miles Garrett has officially requested a trade. What teams could you see him go into? And would him go into a certain team? Scare you?
Speaker 1: So? I don't know if the Browns are gonna trade him. If they do, the team that you just say, screw it, We're doing it is Detroit, and Detroit should say we have crushed the draft the last few years, so we have enough young players on our roster that we can take this type of swing. He is a Hall of Fame player in his prime, and we'll give you two first round picks. Form That's That's the team that to me makes the most sense. If it's really about winning a championship, Miles should want to go to the NFC because the AFC teams that are, you know, front burner teams, I don't think are likely to be involved in this, and I don't know the Browns would make that move anyway. So I I think that the Lion. The Lions are the team that I think makes the most sense. Uh for Miles Garrett. All right, let's get to some of the opening night stuff and the Goodell stuff you want to talk about, So go ahead to Monsey.
Speaker 2: Uh Yeah, So Goodell came out and said that all the refing stuff was bs and it kind of just I saw a comment on YouTube. I want to run it by you. Sure it was from Jared and he said, I'm actually kind of surprised. And Nick gets so angry about the conspiracy talk. It's really the biggest compliment the rest of the world can pay to his team. They win so often that it seems too improbable without predetermining the outcome. Yeah, so, like I was curious about that too, Like you always get pissed about them.
Speaker 1: But it is like, well, here's here's I understand the argument, but here's why I get I find it not only outrageous but dangerous for the league. You had on NFL network Tom Beelasarro and Ian Rappoport on opening night for the Super Bowl interviewing the owner of the Chiefs, and they asked him about the conspiracy theory that the league is rigged. Think about that for a moment. The NFL owns, the channel, employees, the reporters, those people are asking one of the owners, Hey, this sport we all love so much. It's the it's the only true zeitgeist in the nation. The only thing everyone agrees on is watching the Super Bowl on Sunday. That Sundays are for football. That old thing that we've built. Is it rigged? Is the fix in? Is it? Professional wrestling? Travis Kelcey when he was asked yesterday, what's the one thing he would ask the media? You know what? He said that why are you guys so obsessed with the ref stuff, and I think it I do think. Yes, I understand that it's a compliment, but I also think it has taken away from what was supposed to be. It doesn't have to be a celebration. I understand that. But the story being is this the greatest team of all time and instead they're being this weird, fuzzy controversy that's not even a controversy surrounding it has been. And the fact that it is to me a big picture media warning about the tag the tail wagging the dog, that social media and anonymous accounts are setting the agenda rather than people who are actual media members. All of that to me is super concerning and frustrating.
Speaker 2: And so that gets from your media members, I mean, like from like the fans and like random folks on Twitter.
Speaker 1: It is what it is, but it got credibility when it's like Goodell gets asked about it, the players get asked about it, the owner gets asked about it. That part of it is irritating. All right, So here's what I want to do Thursday. We're gonna do the gambling show. We're also going to do the if the Chiefs win. I'm gonna give the full here's Thursday's pot. We do the breakdown of the game, because this is a game either team can win. We are then also going to do if the Chiefs win, where the team ranks historically, and where Mahomes ranks historically, and then we'll do our prop bet stuff, which we love so much. Before we do any of that on Thursday, Demanday, let's answer a few of these listener questions. Start with Meh's question and then we'll get to some of the others.
Speaker 2: Okay, me and says, have you have you considered that having Lebron and Mahomes as your goats may end up being a contradictory opinion.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing on that, because a lot of people ask something similar. I don't think there's such a thing really as contradictory opinions cross sport. So I think it's totally intellectually honest to have different goat if you will, criteria for a basketball player and a football player and a baseball player and a boxer, and you know the like there's they're different sports. So no, I think that if I had where I think it would be contradictory was if I was on the record basically saying you have to have Terry Bradshaw ahead of Peyton Manning because Terry has four rings, Peyton as two, and if one guy has more rings than the other, he has to always be the greater quarterback. And then I was like, well, Mahomes gonna be the goat with four that would be contradictory. But having a certain set of criteria for basketball and a certain set of criteria for football, to me is totally legitimate. All right, let's get some of these other listener questions a reminder, like rate subscriber, if you do all that cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Uh, Jason, I keep seeing I keep seeing people looking for NFL comparisons for Luke for the Luca deal. Do you think a fair one would be JJ for any of Cupp, Derrick Henry, or Joe Mixon.
Speaker 1: No, I listen, No, those are no. The problem with the Luca deal is NBA superstars can only be compared to quarterbacks. So people are like, oh, it's like this quarterback for TJ. Watt because this other guy's great defensive play. No, because the impact of us NBA superstar, which Anthony Davis is, can only be compared to a quarterback, So the comp would be and entering their prime, top five guy in the world, coming off the best season of his career being traded for an older, good quarterback who has never reached his the peak this guy has. So the comp would have been if after the twenty twenty one season, the third thirteen seconds year, a team traded the Bills traded Josh Allen for Matthew Stafford and a pick. That's the This guy's won a championship, he's older, he's not quite as good, and you're trading a guy who hasn't even yet reached his prime, who is in the discussion for the second best in the whole world. Uh. And you're doing it for thirty cents on the dollar. That's the if somebody wanted to again, you got to go. There is no comp right now, right now, there isn't one that works because we don't have any like middle aged quarterbacks. The quarterbacks are all either under thirty or old. Uh. And so yeah, that Josh Allen three years ago, Josh Allen for Stafford and to pick? Is the comp all right? Next?
Speaker 2: Uh? Cut yeah, cutlass. Is it possible Luca doesn't sign an extension with the Lakers.
Speaker 1: I would be utterly shocked. I think Lucas signs an extension this offseason. So no, I people don't come to the Lakers to leave, No, And so that would shock me.
Speaker 2: Elijah Nick, what category does your signing Kyrie is the first step in Luca leaving Dallas fall under?
Speaker 1: Well, listen, I thought about that because when the Maverick's got Kyrie, I was like this, That's why I said it's the first step in Luca leaving. That actually is a category three. Even though Luca did leave because he loved Kyrie. They made the finals like I was wrong, even though it ended up playing out that way. All right, great job, demands, great job our friends at Blue Duck Again, if you have a Washington Post subscription, check out this article in Washington Post that was awesome I did Scott Van peltzpod, You guys can check that out. Also, some cool podcast announcements potentially coming in the next couple days. And I will see you guys Thursday with our gam show, our prop Bet Show, super Bowl preview, all that all that's coming up later this week. We'll try