Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour in this Thursday, Dan and the Dan It's Dan Patrick Show speaking to Dan's It's Dan interviewing Dan in New Orleans. That'll be coming up February fifth, and location is Tippatine Is in New Orleans. Information on the tickets can be found on Danpatrick dot com across our social media platforms. Dan interviews, Dan Levittard and vice Versa. Levittart will join us here momentarily. We'll talk about situation with Miami heat. This is gotten to the brink. This is a push to shove out the door. And the question is where Jimmy Butler lands going to be suspended once again? Eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show Todd. Why are you sending me a picture right now?
Speaker 3: I said it during the break, Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Just saw it. So it's during the show you sent me a picture.
Speaker 3: Okay. I was going to send it after the show, but I just.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, but I'm doing the show and then you send me, so you send me an email. I think it might have something to do with this final Hour.
Speaker 3: Which it should you would think it would be for something like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, he sends me a picture of a woman on a game show last night. Last night, he says, super cute and then.
Speaker 3: Her name, and I think I've seen the show before, Like.
Speaker 2: My wife has seen the show. I have not seen the show. I don't think anybody in here has.
Speaker 4: Seen the show.
Speaker 2: It's a very good show, The Marvelous Missus masl very fun show.
Speaker 4: So yeah, Rachel brosny she was.
Speaker 5: One of the celebrity contestants on Jeopardy with Seth Green and Margaret Shoe.
Speaker 4: Okay, and I was just taken the back. How does this help our show?
Speaker 5: It does not, But because we do pop culture things and went at that X's and o's the type of sports show, and we talk about music and other but this isn't for the show. It is not for the show unless you want to.
Speaker 3: But but we do pop culture kind of for the show.
Speaker 5: But Rachel Brosnahan is beautiful and I was just I couldn't stop watching.
Speaker 3: And I have no idea what the clues.
Speaker 4: Were or who was taking a back.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 5: I almost thought she was pretty, but like, for whatever reason last night, and then I happened to mention it to my wife.
Speaker 3: She didn't appreciate it.
Speaker 2: But why didn't you send it to everybody? If our show is about pop culture and we could all share it, I.
Speaker 5: Could have, but I sent it to you because I thought maybe you'd make a guessing game out of it. Who does Fritzy have a crush on from Celebrity Jeopardy last night?
Speaker 3: Or something? And then they can kind of weigh in. Sometimes you like to make a little game thing out of it.
Speaker 7: Oh man, I was really hoping we would play that game today too. Who does Todd have a crush on? From Celebrity Jeopardy last night?
Speaker 3: And I thought you had seen it so that you'd appreciate it.
Speaker 2: No, I don't hope we would do that. I don't watch Jeopardy. I don't watch it. But we can play the game of who else you have a crush on? But it's always local anchor women. Oh, Jessica Alba and the God Jessica Alba gets separated from her husband and Todd goes.
Speaker 3: Hey, I got shore to hear the news.
Speaker 4: I go what he goes?
Speaker 2: Jessica Alba getting separated Todd, I got a hall pass.
Speaker 5: From the wife. I actually brought that up. If you think you could make something like that remotely happen and go.
Speaker 2: For Does anybody have a whole pass aside from Todd, like an actual hall pass.
Speaker 7: I think it's right located right next to the divorce.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a whole pass.
Speaker 3: I put it in my katuba.
Speaker 5: Look the little Hebrew agreement to the legal binding green when you get married.
Speaker 3: That said, unless Jessica Albert is involved in the mix and then you get passed.
Speaker 2: How do you think she would react to this and just saying yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, oh I could wait.
Speaker 4: Wait, Todd's got a whole pass? Are you kidding?
Speaker 3: The reasons why maybe one of the reasons why there's a separation.
Speaker 2: St Out of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. See once again proof that this show is not scripted. It probably should be, but it's not.
Speaker 3: Don't you believe in manifesting things if you believe something or not.
Speaker 2: I believe manifest destiny. That's what I believe in, whatever that means. So we'll talk to Levatard here in a moment the Jets get Aaron Glenn at least knows what he's walking into and I think that this is a good hire for somebody who knows what he's getting into. A lot of upside there paid his dues, and I think that they got a really good candidate here. The Bears introduced Ben Johnson. All I wanted to see or hear was his personality, and I thought he had a good line. He said, Hey, NFC North, you got to deal with Dan Campbell, Kevin O'Connell, and I gotta be really honest, I enjoyed beating Matt Lafleur twice a year. I don't know if everybody laughed when he said that, because we did talk about this is the forced laughter press conference where you introduce him. Local media's there when he delivered the line. I didn't hear laughter, and I thought it was a good line. But Ben Johnson is in town ready to go with the Chicago Bears. So you still have the Cowboys, Jags, Raiders that are open for business. Final hour poll question is going to be what seton?
Speaker 7: Well, let me update you. We kind of left the audience hanging a little oh earlier. Oh yeah, okay, okay, Who's coaching legacy changes more?
Speaker 4: With a Super Bowl win?
Speaker 7: This season, Andy Reid, Steve Spagnolo, Dan Quinn, Sean McDermott, Nick Sirianni or Kellen.
Speaker 4: Moore throwing in coordinator.
Speaker 7: Yeah right now, we've got I think, for the first time ever, a three way tie. Oh Okay, Andy Reid, Dan quinn, and Sean McDermott are all tied.
Speaker 4: Okay for first I think you could make a case for all of them. How about that?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: We mentioned a little bit last hour, the mess that is Jimmy Butler in the Miami heat. What about that heat culture? They have a heat culture. Dan Lebotard, host of Metal Lark Media's The Dan LeBatard Show with Stu Gotts, the voice of Miami Sports. Mister Miami, you look at that face and you see Miami.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Dan.
Speaker 8: You look at that face and you see empty calorie. I'm offended, and I'm hurt, and I'm a little bit sensitive, okay, because I do everything I can.
Speaker 3: To curry favor with you.
Speaker 8: I send you gifts that get foot in a back fridge during the holidays, and that doesn't get seen for several days. And you only call me when there's some sort of mess in Miami where someone's pooping on the floor, or what needs to happen that I get a phone call from you and your show at one point during my show. That isn't you just calling to laugh at me because of something that you think should embarrass me about Miami sports.
Speaker 4: I'm not here to embarrass you.
Speaker 2: I'm here to have you enlighten us on what this means for heat culture. Jimmy Butler, your good friend pat Riley, Hall of Fame coach in waiting, Eric Spolstra, what is going on?
Speaker 8: Okay, I will say that you call me when the offensive line coach is doing blowoff.
Speaker 4: His desk, But that is true.
Speaker 8: Idea is no, I know it's true. It's every time something like this, But okay, I will. I will entertain you coming and dining on let's laugh at the Miami things.
Speaker 3: This is a mess.
Speaker 8: Unlike any in pat Riley's career. He now suffers from the thing that you know they benefited greatly from from twenty ten to twenty fourteen, which is the player taking over the league with his power.
Speaker 3: And you've got a mess. Stan.
Speaker 8: The most interesting part of this to me today is you have a legend and ego at the top of the sport that is a dinosaur where he regards authority, and he is fully capable of making this a very unpleasant workplace filled with pettinesses that will suspend Jimmy Butler for the act of embarrassing him and his way in public. So it is rare that the superstar is met with someone with the ego power and job stability to say, Okay, you want to find about this, I'm gonna make your next couple of months really unpleasant.
Speaker 2: But if the end result is going to be trading him, I'm guessing I don't think they can co exist.
Speaker 4: Why not do it? Now? Like is Riley.
Speaker 2: Extracting something from Jimmy Butler to say, all right, I'm gonna make you pay for a little while and then I'll give you what you want.
Speaker 8: I don't know the answer that question because it's a very private organization. Pat Riley's job is to get the best deal for Jimmy Butler. Pat Riley is petty enough, I believe to be like all things being pretty close to equal. Yeah, I'll take some of those players I get wherever it is in Utah that I get them, and I might send you for a couple of weeks to a place you don't really want to go, because go bleep yourself.
Speaker 4: He could send him to Toronto.
Speaker 8: I saw eight trade scenarios, and I didn't think that was possible in even my hypothe medical imagination, given what it is that we're talking about, but there is. Look, I have watched this for many years. I once thought that Juwan Howard's contract was untradeable. There is no such thing evidently in the sport. But if it's Jimmy Butler for Bradley Beal, it's the two most difficult contracts to trade in the sport. There are no untradeable ones, but well there is one. In Bradley Beal's case, that's no trade he's got to agree with it.
Speaker 3: And in Jimmy Butler's case that.
Speaker 8: Malcontent demanding extension at thirty five when he's already making forty million and can opt into fifty million.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting.
Speaker 8: Scenario to watch play out Dan that Jimmy Butler is willing to torch what was his relationship with the Heat fan base in a way that Damian Lillard wasn't willing to do. Otherwise we might not be talking about any of this because they actually got Jimmy Butler the help that he's wanted for a while.
Speaker 2: But I keep wondering how this started that whether was they didn't trade for pieces with the Miami Heat or Jimmy's getting to the point where I'm worth more than this. This is my last chance for a contract. Which one is it?
Speaker 4: Of those two?
Speaker 8: The greatest reason for divorce and the end of love is always money. It's number one. It's when you look at divorces, money finances is the number one reason given. It's also I've said this, divorce is the number one reason that love turns to hate. And when you start mixing business with this stuff, all of a sudden, everybody gets in their feelings and gets hurt. When you ask about help for the Miami Heat, Dan, I could say that this is a team and a culture of maximum overachievers, and Tyler Hero and bam Outebayo and Jimmy Butler all at the ceilings of whatever is possible for their skill set. And that made a Jimmy Butler better than any of us thought he was. Because I'm guessing you're a sports expert. When Jimmy Butler got here, neither you nor I thought he could be the number one player on a team that would get to the finals or close to the finals, and that happened here. And then you get into the Belichick Brady stuff of who's responsible for it, who gets the credit for this, who gets the money for this? Hey, Jimmy, why is it that you were the best Jimmy here that there ever was? Pat Riley would say, well, I'm the reason for that. I'm the reason that Lebron was the best Lebron here. I'm the reason that Dwayne Wade was the best Dwayne Wade here. I'm the reason that Tyler Hero and bam Antebayo on everyone is overachiever. I'd ask you this question, actually, Dan, what other basketball franchise do you feel like you have empirical proof they make players better in a way that's obvious. Organizationally, they take players who aren't all that good, and all of a sudden I see them be better than they actually have ever been. Well, I don't have I don't have a lot of answers as to who comes second there.
Speaker 2: But that's what I don't understand that why wouldn't Jimmy want to stay in an organization that makes him better? Unless he feels like he's gotten as good as he can get there now he wants to get out to get that last contract.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's just dollars.
Speaker 8: But I've stopped during the last fifteen years Dan of totally understanding some things about the player empowerment movement, like the following. For example, I think it would be a great deal of fun to dominate basketball with my friends, the people I care about the most. But Kevin Durant got tired of Draymond Green after four years when they made it really easy to play basketball. You're a basketball player, you love basketball. You're also a team player. You're somebody who's always gotten along with egos that you have to interact with. How would it go for you if I told you, hey, Dan, here's four years of total dominance. It's going to be the most beautiful basketball you've ever seen. You get to pass to Stephana, you gotta play with Draymond. But it's gonna be easy, the easiest thing in the world to be dominant. Would you get bored with that after four years? If winning was the goal?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 8: Why did the heat thing blow up after four years with everyone tired at about it? And why are you, Donnis Haslam and Mike Miller saying after the fact, there was no joy in that. For me, that wasn't fun. It was just all expectations pressure. I didn't like to go to work. The fun was when we got the parade. But I didn't like fighting with everybody. I don't get it, Dan. I thought the point if you were gonna get together with your friends to win and then one I thought that that was the point, But it's not always the point. Money gets in the way of that.
Speaker 4: I feel like I riled you up here. I didn't mean to rile you up.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to give our audience a better understanding of maybe behind the curtain here. But I do like you riled up. You're like I like riles, and I like you riled up.
Speaker 8: You do it on purpose. You're a professional agitator disguised as a professional pillars.
Speaker 4: It's infuriating, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's something.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, but you've got the masses full to everybody see, they don't see the dark undercurrents beneath the statuesque perfection that is your television broadcasting.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Well, it'll be on display in New Orleans. Segue.
Speaker 2: That'll be February fifth. It'll be Dan interviewing dat more of this. People are going to be able to have more of this in New Orleans. Tickets are still available at Dan Patrick dot com and the location, Tippotina is in New Orleans.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 8: I'm very excited to do this with you, and I will say for you because I've told you I want you to write a book. I want people to know more about your career. I want people to know yet more about you than even your audience knows, and they've gotten to know you over the last twenty years.
Speaker 4: Is there going to be an open bar at this den? I mean I think I'm going to need it.
Speaker 3: Uh, You're going to endure this.
Speaker 8: You're going to suffer this with me, just because it's just going to be me showering you and complace. It's the whole time as you make me feel less than. Oh look how it delights him. Look how me being less than delights him.
Speaker 4: Hey, uh, my best to your staff.
Speaker 3: And they're there. There there's some turmoil here right now with my staff. Did not like so much that this was just a Dan and Dan appearance.
Speaker 4: I just needed you.
Speaker 2: I didn't need people in Parrot outfits or Stu Gott's promoting his book, or Mike Ryan telling me whatever he wants to tell like I didn't, I didn't need that.
Speaker 4: This is just me and you.
Speaker 2: You've caught My guys are quiet, My guys never going hey, what about us?
Speaker 4: We need to talk right.
Speaker 8: You've caused me a great many problems with this group of people by insisting that this being just you.
Speaker 2: Boooo, they want to be on your show, Dan, I didn't have the Dan edsaw on during this segment.
Speaker 4: They're not complaining, they're professionals.
Speaker 3: A couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Shut up, Tom, I'll see you. I'll see you in a week or so, week and a half or so.
Speaker 8: I'm looking forward to this Wednesday, February fifth, seven pm. By the time I finished this sentence, that's going to be close to sold out. So people need to need to get over to Danpatrick dot com or tippotinas dot com.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be fun, Dan, Thank you.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Dan Lebotard, host of The Dan Lebitard Show, with some other guys there on a show, some needy, some needy, needy people.
Speaker 3: Are we free to talk now?
Speaker 2: You've got to wait, No you wait till after the break. All right, We'll take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: I've got a suggestion, as we move forward with new stadiums, they should all be retractable roof stadiums, no closed dome stadiums, no wide open, no closed. You can decide what you want to do, when you want to do it, and you have retractable How about that? Now, did Minnesota lose its home field advantage or the perception of a home field advantage because they used to play outdoors? Do the Packers have a home field advantage because they play at Lambeau, they play in the elements because a lot of these players who go to these teams aren't necessarily from Wisconsin or the Midwest, East coast dealing with that weather. Aaron Rodgers from the West coast, Clay Matthews West Coast, like just Brett fab was from the South. And I think the perception is it's for the fans they have a home field advantage. I don't know if the players feel that way. Now, when Tampa, anytime Tampa went to Green Bay in December or January, they always lost the Miami Dolphins. When they go north or they go west, they face Kansas City, you know, they end up losing. I think that there is a the environment we're in when we're practicing, when we work out, and then we go to something that is the complete opposite.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's an adjustment.
Speaker 2: For your body, but I would like to see retractable roofs. I mean, these things all cost a couple of billion dollars, right, I don't know what you get for a couple of billion dollars anymore. Used to be when somebody said a billion dollars and then you go, oh my god, and then all of a sudden you see so far and you go, that's not one. That's like five billion dollars to create them. But you could still have now. I don't know if the NFL would say, hey, it's January, you can't have the roof open. I don't know if they would do that, but they might. But if I'm if I own a team and I'm going to put in a stadium, let's say Buffalo, I can get multi uses out of that concerts. You know, if I have a retractable roof, hey, you know, summer night you can open it up, Fall, you can open it up, Winter, you can close it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Buffalo fans would probably say, Nope, that takes away our identity, and maybe Green Bay maybe that would take away your identity. And I understand that, But I don't know if it's a home field advantage the way we think we think it is now a lot of these teams are really good when you go there, I mean Jacksonville. I don't know if they feel like they have a home field advantage. It usually helps when you have a really good team. But Minnesota regret not having an open air stadium. That's a great place to watch a game. I'd much rather go into seventy two degrees if I was a player or I'm a fan. You know, standing outside freezing, your beer's freezing right in your hand, and you go, yeah, I love the elements. Also, do we love snow? Do we love falling snow? But not snow when it's on the ground. Because if I said, hey, there's going to be light flurries the entire game, most people would probably go, oh, that'd be awesome, That'll look great on my TV. But if you have a white out, if you have like, you know, a foot of snow, do you want a game to be decided because hey, we're in your city, in your elements, and so what or do you want the you know, two best teams playing in the best conditions that you could have, yes, pulling.
Speaker 10: I noticed a lot of people on social media this past weekend saying, we love snow games when it's November and December, kind of a casual mid season game, but when a playoff spot is on the line, when the Super Bowl and AFC NFC titles are on the line, we'd like to see both teams on equal footing, no pun intended.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I like the look of snow when it's snowing, but I don't have to play in it. But visually I like it. I just don't like when it impedes the game it's slippery. Then it becomes comical. But you know, and I'm probably in the minority. Most people I think like seeing the elements, like to see when it's a little bit different. But we don't want to see rain, but we want to see snow. It's like yeah, snow's pretty, Rain's not pretty. I want pretty on my TV set. So open air stadiums, nah, retractable. Spend another billion, get it a retractable.
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, if you guys were Bills season ticket holders and it was a Bill's season ticket holder, vote dome stadium or outdoor stadium, no middle ground.
Speaker 2: They're going to take an outdoor stadium. Yeah, oh yeah, that's their identity. Yeah, but I'd much rather see a game with roof over certainly in January t certain eighth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Having been to the coldest game in NFL history, the Bengals game against the Chargers, I'd rather be inside.
Speaker 4: I'd rather have a roof over my head. Yeah all right.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: Most Valuable Player Award the final This just came out. Josh Allen, Saquon Barkley, Joe Burrow, Jared Golf, Lamar Jackson, finalist for the NFL Most Valuable Player. Lamar Jackson I think is going to win. I would have said, Josh Allen, I expected Baltimore to be really good. I didn't expect Buffalo to be this good. Now does that mean there's more value with Josh Allen than Lamar Jackson? I think Lamar Jackson had a better offense, he had a better team. I think that they were the best team in the AFC Baltimore talent wise, just like the Eagles best team in the NFC.
Speaker 5: Yes, uh for me, not that you asked, but I'm gonna share it anyway. I'm canceling Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson out because they're so close in my opinion, and I would give Saquon Barkley the MVP instead of it automatically having to go to a quarterback. They're so neck and neck that they cancel each other out the Bills and Ravens, So give it to Saquon.
Speaker 4: I'm out, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Coach of the Year Dan Campbell, Kevin O'Connell, Sean Payton, Dan Quinn, Andy Reid, and he's not going to get it because the coach of the best team normally doesn't get it. Now they've already voted on this, I'm going to say Kevin O'Connell was going to be your coach of the Year, Sean Payton did a really good job, Dan Campbell regrouping after what happened last year, and certainly Dan Quinn. So if you say it's Kevin O'Connor or Dan Quinn. I don't think anybody's going to really argue. Here's here's a tricky one come back Player of the Year. Joe Burrow, Sam Darnold, JK Dobbins, Kristin Gonzalez, the Patriots cornerback, the Bills safety Damar Hamlin. So, Damar Hamlin didn't win last time when he came back from dying.
Speaker 10: Love that love it.
Speaker 2: But he's come he's he could be Comeback Player of the Year for coming back and playing a full season.
Speaker 10: Yes, any chance Damar is on this list again because last year I think he played less than fifteen plays on special team. Yes, but it's possible he could be the two time runner up of the Comeback Player of the Year award whilst dying on the field.
Speaker 4: Two time runner.
Speaker 5: Up's president, thank you, I checked.
Speaker 10: You's right. And by the way, Sam Darnald is on the list. And the new rules or I wouldn't SA rules, but criteria criteria. It's not supposed to put people like Sam Darnold.
Speaker 2: On the list because all we did is it came back from being a backup.
Speaker 10: You have to come back from some injury, illness, et cetera.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting.
Speaker 6: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm familiar with Christian Gonzalez's comeback here he's hurt. Great defensive player, great defensive player. Uh JK Dobbins. I guess he was injured.
Speaker 4: Two mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe Deamar Hamlin gets it the year after he should have gotten.
Speaker 7: It's posthumously, or.
Speaker 10: It's funny now wow, true, it could be see dang, that is dark.
Speaker 4: Yes, I had said that one. Wow.
Speaker 10: Any chance you name the AP Comeback Player of the Year Award after DeMar Hamlin because then his story no pun intended, lives on.
Speaker 4: Forever despite having right.
Speaker 10: Ultimate irony.
Speaker 2: You know, It's like if they want to hand out the Bill Russell Award for Finals MVP because he was Finals MVP. I could see that. Or it'd be like naming somebody Rookie of the year. The Rookie of the Year award going to somebody who didn't win the Rookie of the Year award. Dang, alright, let me see anything else that I want to mention. A couple of Oh, Barry and Santa Fe. Hey, Barry, you got a head coach. Round of applause for Barry and Santa Fe. Yeah, you got Aaron Glenn and things are going to turn around.
Speaker 6: Good morning shows, Good Morning chat row and the quote the great ex Syracuse and Net star Derek Coleman, What the damn do MN? Here are a couple of scenarios that that could play out. Let's give Glenn the benefit of the doubt that he's a good coach. Okay, it could work if the Jets hire a and experienced GM, get some good players, and shelters him from our chowder head owner. What's going to happen is the chowder head owner is going to hire an inexperienced GM, and it's going to be the same you know what show for the rest, for the rest of my life. I'm sixty four years old, and I'm kind of getting to the point where it ain't gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Keep your head up there, keep your head up. You're still living the best life that anybody could live. You're single, You're in Santa Fe. You can do what you want whenever you wanted. What was his quote, Seaton? Your remember Barry in Santa Fe?
Speaker 7: Is I do what I want, when I want.
Speaker 4: With who I want, who I want. Something like that. Here's something to look forward.
Speaker 2: I would say look for and maybe look forward to college football. Source sent me some notes and said look for the NFL and the College Football Playoff Committee to get together and try to figure out the schedule moving forward that will benefit both properties. So Roger Goodell has indicated that the NFL was interested in working with the College Football Playoff Committee and trying to come up with solutions because this year you had six weeks in between conference championship through the College Football Playoff Championship. Being able to start and finish the playoffs. It's getting more and more appeal with everybody involved in this.
Speaker 4: But just.
Speaker 2: Wait for that that's going to happen. But they're going to eventually increase the field to fourteen, not next year, but I'm told the year after that and then eventually sixteen teams. But the championship games are really important to the conference and the TV packages, and you have, you know, varying estimates here of how much a conference title game is worth between five million and forty two million dollars. It's a lot of money, but you're asking a fan base to travel one more time to a neutral site watching your team play in a conference championship, seeing which you update the poll results for the final hour of the program.
Speaker 7: Heck, yeah, let's see we have up there right now. Which coaching legacy changes more with a Super Bowl win this season?
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 7: Sean McDermott running away with that one. He's got about thirty eight percent of the vote, followed by Andy Reid and Dan Quinn closely, Nick Sirianni, Steve Spagnolo, and.
Speaker 4: Kellen Moore way behind.
Speaker 2: Also, college football source said there is no discussion going on regarding relegation. Well not right now, but there will be. You know what if you open that door. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: First of all, there's contracts in place, so yeah, they can discuss it.
Speaker 2: Oh dear, Yeah, first of all, no, we're not going down that road again. We did that a long time ago. Yeah, Dan, move on. Don't hold a grudge. I'm not holding a grudge.
Speaker 7: I'm not leave this to the insiders.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the insiders. Yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I helped my goal one day to be you know, when I retire from this, I'm going to be an insider. I'm just gonna just get a business card and just be an insider, no matter what you say. Hey, call me up about anything. I'll be an insider. Blake Lively's lawsuit with this co star. I'm an insider here.
Speaker 4: You guys see that movie.
Speaker 10: No, I got hooked into seeing that with my wife.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, which means it was my idea.
Speaker 10: Blake Lively, honey, it's Blake Lively.
Speaker 4: Oh it's a very awkward movie.
Speaker 2: Well, I think now when you watch it, you realize that it might have been a little more awkward when they were shooting it, with what was going on there, right, you know. Randomly spoke to somebody who worked on the movie and he said, you haven't heard half of it.
Speaker 4: I go, I don't want to hear any of it. I got I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you cast somebody, you're with, somebody, do a movie together, and then all of a sudden, all this stuff is going on, like these are hundreds of millions of dollars in lawsuits here and you're going against you know, some powerful people.
Speaker 4: But no, I now I won't watch it. I didn't like the premise anywhere.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what I got something for you, norms rare guitars. You want to watch a good, you know, movie documentary that's the one I would tell you to watch. No lawsuits, No, no lawsuits. It's an awesome place. And he's a great guy in Los Angeles. Yeah, yes, by all accounts, great guy. And uh Springsteen buys guitars there, Bob Dylan buys guitars slash. I mean just about anybody who has owned a guitar, who's a big name has gone there to pick up a guitar.
Speaker 4: Yeh see.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we did off the seat and pet there years and years ago, and it was it's crazy that you could go in there, and yeah I was ahead of that documentary, of course you will, but you could go in there and some of the guitars that they have in there and seeing and you could be sitting there and you're like, wow, who's that shredding over there? Like, oh my god, is that like Jake Isles, No way, this is crazy.
Speaker 4: I think it's Richie Sambora over there. Everybody goes there, everybody.
Speaker 2: Just the number of guitars just it's just it looks like if you went into a meat locker and you saw all these things of beef that's you have. All these guitars are just hanging there. It's gorgeous, gorgeous. All right, let me take a break. Last call for phone calls, What's in store tomorrow? What we learned this day in sports history.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls, what we learn? What's in store tomorrow? Our good buddy Klay Matthews.
Speaker 4: Be joining us. Haven't talked to him in a while.
Speaker 2: A couple of phone calls in here eight seven seven three DP show Colin in California.
Speaker 4: I call it what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey Dan, thank you. I have a suggestion to change something in the NFL Okay section that Mahomes and the Chiefs get all the calls, to get all the calls, Toby flag and a red challenge flag match to chuse colors, just to be taken up with the competition committee.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you, we'll work on that.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: Dylan and Idaho, Hi Dylan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 12: Good morning, DP and Danna. So a couple of weeks ago, you guys were talking about the NBA and their ratings and how they're kind of falling behind even the MLB and NFL and such. And one thing that I think is a big issue with the NBA is I can't watch a game without seeing I guess what I would call ghost calls or fouls or technicals that just it almost feels like the rest are trying to make it about them selves. And one thing that I've kind of noticed this week and this week and with Mahomes and the Chiefs and the call that that Mahomes get that other quarterbacks don't get. Do you think that there's a time that comes where the general viewership gets kind of gets hurt by people being almost tired or chiefed out, like you guys said, with the calls that they get and that Mahomes get.
Speaker 2: Or is the ratings aren't dropping, Dylan, I mean, the NFL is teflon it doesn't matter, get a billion dollar lawsuit for concussions, They change the kickoff, all the different rules to protect the quarterback. As long as the game is not compromised by a scandal. If there's officials involved in a betting scandal, then you could compromise the integrity of the game. Other than that, they're just swimming in money, swimming in deep deep deep money. Fresh in Milwaukee, Hi Fresh, Welcome back, Yo?
Speaker 11: What's up?
Speaker 6: DT?
Speaker 11: Hey, Bud got a.
Speaker 3: Good question for you.
Speaker 1: Just just say Lamar wins the MVP this year and wins the next three without winning a championship.
Speaker 11: The question is, is it possible to be considered a goat in any sport without winning a championship?
Speaker 2: No, Now, you got to win championships. It's not about winning MVPs. I think you know what comes with with winning MVPs is what did you do in those seasons when you win an MVP? And it almost exacerbates that that Lamar has not done well in these seasons. But he's and I think he's going to win the MVP. Somebody who was involved with the the All Pro voting, and that's a pretty good ending cater that he almost doubled Josh Allen with votes that were sampled. It was like thirty six to sixteen or something like that. That's a pretty good indicator that he's probably going to win another MVP, which is fine, it's a regular season award, But with that comes what did you do in the postseason? All right, Paulie, what do you have By the way, the Cowboys, here's the latest report. They are closing in on a deal to make Brian Schottenheimer their head coach. Yeah, not surprised. I'd heard this yesterday that that's who they were and the word was settling, on which I said to the person who is involved in this, he goes settling that that's my word, that's nobody else's. I said, Oh, you're settling. No, that's not that's my word, not somebody else in the organization. So Brian, Brian Schottenheimer, who's with the organization. How long has he been with the Cowboys? Do we have any kind of time frame that he's been there because he was the offensive coordinator? But was he with the Cowboys prior to that? I don't know if he was a front office person. But his father, of course, uh, Marty Schottenheimer. Yeah, Pauly.
Speaker 10: He's been with the Cowboys since twenty twenty two. He has bounced around all over the NFL, A couple places in college, but all over the NFL.
Speaker 4: Okay, this day in sports history, What do you have for me?
Speaker 10: Big one for me? Dan eighteen seventy nine. The National Archery Association was organized in Crawfordsville, Indiana, hotbed of archery. Crawfordsville, here's one. Nineteen eighty five O. J. Simpson became the first Heisman Trophy winner to be elected to Pro Football's Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: That's it on this date.
Speaker 2: Bjorn Borg in nineteen eighty three retired at the age of twenty six. Also Clay Thompson nine three pointers. This is when he scored thirty seven points in the third quarter. Didn't we have them count up the number of dribbles that he had less than ten ribbles scoring thirty seven points in a quarter, Yes, Martin.
Speaker 3: I think in that entire game he had eleven dribbles.
Speaker 2: Warriors beat the Kings won twenty six to one and one. By the way, my Sacramento Kings are playing some great basketball under Doug Christie and uh. Nineteen sixty five, Bill Russell missed all fourteen of his shots when he faced Wilt Chamberlain and the seventy six ers. The seventy six ers just acquired Wilt Chamberlain. Oh easy there, Toddler, All right, let's go round the room. What we learn on the program? Todd I'll start with you, did you learn anything today?
Speaker 3: I learned a lot seton Wonders Aloud.
Speaker 5: If tomorrow Hamilin should receive the Comeback Player of the Year worded posthumously, although he's still very much alive.
Speaker 3: It's very interesting.
Speaker 2: It's funny, it's funny. It's dark humor, Ye, it's dark. Yeah still yeah, yeah, it is humor. It's like observational humor exactly, which I'm trying to work on. You don't have the humor, but you have the observation. Seaton, what did you learn today? You and Dan lev it's hard to have a very fun event coming up. Yeah, we do, ya you Yah, we do? Marvin, what about you?
Speaker 3: Todd was taken aback by a young lady on Jeopardy?
Speaker 4: What is what is taken aback?
Speaker 6: Mean?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Wow, she's even prettier than when I watched her on the Mine.
Speaker 4: I know, but why do we say I'm taken aback?
Speaker 3: That's interesting? I feel like I feel like you're tripping over yourself in like whoa Paul?
Speaker 4: Would you learn?
Speaker 10: I just saw a picture of this actress. Todd's right, Yeah, she very pretty rapid.
Speaker 2: Radios the walkie talkie for the Playoffs, Instant pushed to talk offering national LTE coverage, no subscriptions ever. Perfect for instant contact with your buddies. Rapid Radios dot com sixty percent off, free shipping. Have the gambling podcast up on the website a little later on. Have a great day, Talk to you tomorrow