Speaker 1: This is the most traumatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. So we're here, Yeah, we're here at the hotel in Carmel, and everybody's we've taken over this. It's very cute, very cute seaside hotel. And there's like, I don't know, like thirty rooms or something, and we have all of.
Speaker 2: Them because there's it has that nice feeling of kind of like what you guys do with your wedding.
Speaker 3: You took over the property and everybody's together.
Speaker 1: So Dean and Kayler are here with us, and Lauren and I have it's a lovely room, love this hotel. But our room is when I say it's above the lobby, you walk up some stairs behind the desk and that's our room.
Speaker 3: Dean, did you have a mustache yesterday?
Speaker 4: Were you talking about No, I've always had an exposed upper lap last night?
Speaker 1: Did you save your must that's so random? Did you shave last night or this morning?
Speaker 5: I don't know what you guys are talking about. I've always looked like this.
Speaker 1: When you look child, you look so young.
Speaker 4: I feel like you guys are making like a weird joke that I'm not in on right now.
Speaker 3: I know for sure, you.
Speaker 1: Rode in a golf car with him for seven hours yesterday. So now I'm like, I feel like a real jerk, and I don't.
Speaker 2: The reason that I know is because he was telling me step by step how when he pulls on his mustache hairs it helps him sneeze.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 5: I really get in there for the nose.
Speaker 1: Why do you need the sneeze?
Speaker 5: Why would you want to make I love sneezing. It's one of my favorite things to do. I'm serious.
Speaker 4: Sneezing is it's it's it's a fun experience.
Speaker 3: You're sneezing on purpose.
Speaker 4: So you'll just grab a nose hair and pull its just and sometimes I'll do this because you're born. If you get it just right, you can make yourself sneez Whenever you try to.
Speaker 1: Do it right now, you're honestly you just want to sneeze.
Speaker 5: No, we're not going to get there too long.
Speaker 2: Don't belive that sneezes are like one tenth of mon orgas.
Speaker 5: Kind of them rapidly, real quick. You're on cloud nine.
Speaker 1: So last night we went to Sadies to see the uh the picture, the infamous now picture hanging over the toilet, and we left I don't around midnight or something like that, and all of a sudden we can hear everything going on in the little lobby, and it's a it's kind of an old house, and so we can hear everything. If someone like clears their throat, we can hear it down.
Speaker 2: I don't want to clarify, I'm being honest. We could not understand anything.
Speaker 3: Anyone was saying. It's just you sneezed. We probably would have distinguished.
Speaker 1: I can specifically hear people. So I immediately heard Sarah Hyland, and I'm like, okay, Sarah, and wells are downstairs. I didn't know who else, but I could hear there was a group of people, and I was kind of in and out of consciousness, and I was like around two in the morning. I still heard the people talking downstairs in the lobby, and I'm like, and the last words I heard when you guys, and now I know it was you guys came in Sarah saying whatever you have open it. That was in the beginning.
Speaker 3: We heard there say if any type of wine.
Speaker 1: We were like, and then so how long did you guys stay up?
Speaker 4: Well, not me, I went back by myself from the book. I left Sadies by myself, thinking they were going to be shortly up behind me. But then I go to bed, wake up, and then she's just next to me. It's actually really funny. I'll like Kaylen answered that question a second. But she goes to bed at eight thirty pm every single night at home, She's always in bed before nine, and then whenever she gets together with Sarah, she's staying up until three four am.
Speaker 1: That's like Ben and Jess. Ben and Jester like that. Ben's like, yeah, we go to bed at like, oh yeah, so you're normally like an eight thirty person.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Me and Jester are the same that way. But when I'm with Sarah it's the only I don't really like to drink a lot, and let like, yeah, unless you have.
Speaker 1: A partner, what is it about Sarah that brings it out in you?
Speaker 7: In same with Jess, Me and Jess were like, the only time we ever get drunk is when we were with Sarah, and I think I might still be a little drunk.
Speaker 1: She's your muse.
Speaker 2: Well, I was just doing the math on if you went to bed after three, it's it's nine am.
Speaker 3: Now you're not okaying.
Speaker 4: Great, and then you guys feeling great to what you guys were saying earlier too. We're on the bottom floor, so whoever is in the room above us was stomping around at like five thirty am the time.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was a rough.
Speaker 3: That was Sarah Wells just getting home.
Speaker 1: This has been fun because again, you know, you can stay in a big hotel and that's lovely, but we're staying at the La Petite Palis and really this really is like an old house that wraps around a courtyard, and so if you go get a cup of coffee in the small little lobby, if you hear whatever, you're like you're bumping into each other. And anytime we step out of our rooms, we're running it. So it's like we are a big fit at this family getaway, which is kind of cool because we sat this morning and we did not intend to do this, but all of a sudden we had breakfast with Tarctic and Bob Guiney and the Firestone showed up, and then Justin came down with his computer, and then.
Speaker 2: Dean shaved his mustache in front of everybody, which I'm glad we were all this.
Speaker 4: I still don't know if that if you're making a joke about me or not or or what's going on with that?
Speaker 7: But go you keep talking because photo where they're like, does he have a mustache? Does?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, so Caylen, you stayed up till three am? Do you do what happens when my girlfriends and I have a group trip together.
Speaker 1: It's such a bushy mustache?
Speaker 5: You guys got me.
Speaker 3: Why did you shave it?
Speaker 4: I just felt like, uh like looking fresh, you know, changing it up a little bit.
Speaker 7: It does this all the time.
Speaker 1: By the way, it's just like I said, I'll speak for Kailin.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you preferred on mustache.
Speaker 1: You have a handsome face, handsome.
Speaker 5: Wow, you guys are too nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like no mustache.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was actually just going through random old pictures from when I was like in my twenties and stuff, and it's I was. We were talking about this the other day too. Definitely gotten less attractive, and it's annoying looking at you because you've gotten way. I don't want to say more handsome, because you've always been handsome, but you, like I said the other day, you look twenty years younger.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: That's so nice. I think he was leaving the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, stress a lot of way. Yeah, what about like, can you do scruff?
Speaker 5: Nope?
Speaker 4: Okay, So that's why I do the mustache because I got like a weird go tea.
Speaker 1: I could see you a scruff. I bet you'd look good.
Speaker 4: I wish well, you remember I don't know if you remember my father. He has a full beard down like a button. Yeah, and my brothers can go crow full.
Speaker 5: Beards, but not me.
Speaker 7: Meems like a patchy guy.
Speaker 5: I'm a patchy guy.
Speaker 2: I think your dad will probably go down as the most unforgetted dad dad on the show.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, yeah, well good for good for him, good for that. That's probably last time I talked to him. Actually was on the show really right right around then. Yeah, but now we live.
Speaker 7: In the same town as it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so do you talk to him or Sammer?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: I I was at my friend's dad's sixtieth birthday party their day and hit one of my friend's moms was like, you should go in and like try to mend the bridge with your father, and I was like, I really don't want to, but you're probably right I should do that. So one of these days I'm going to stop in and say how I do it. I guess he owns like a health food store in the town that we live in, so he'll be easy to find.
Speaker 3: Well, you can do it for I mean, I gotta be honest.
Speaker 2: I'm okay with a family estrangement. I really don't like when people are like, you have to you have to do it. You only have one dad. It's like, cool, I'm his kid. Like it's always he being to me and like I'm his only Well you have brothers.
Speaker 3: But you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I have a friend who doesn't speak to her mom and I know that she struggles with because that's always people's response. And it's like, but that's the parents. Shouldn't they mend this fence with me? So I don't like when people.
Speaker 1: Say always brings up a good point, and because she always puts things in perspective for me, being my wise little buddha, and she's like, well, think about your kids. Would you do this to your kids? And I'm like, oh no, it's not no way. There's no way I would let Josh or Taylor ever be a strange for me, I just there's no way. Even if they try, we'll let them. I will find you. So you're right, it's not on you, and I would just say what I was going to say is not you owe it to yourself or whatever. It's like, if you want to, if it's something that you think would give you closure, make you happy, give you whatever in your soul, great do it. If not, you don't owe it to anybody.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well it's tough.
Speaker 4: Well because Kaylen's biological dad is kind of the same way, Like we don't really talk to either of them.
Speaker 5: But it's tough.
Speaker 4: I like when he's dead in twenty years or whatever it is, you know, I like, well, I regret not having a relationship with him maybe a little bit.
Speaker 1: So that's the point, right, It's that's the thing. It's it's only on you. How do you think you will feel what will be? You know, if you feel like that's going to leave a big hole and now I'm gonna have great regret, then do it.
Speaker 2: It's I think it's whatever is going to give you peace. I am an advocate for that, like your personal piece. So if you feel like there's something unsaid that you need to say, I have another friend who stopped talking to her dad.
Speaker 3: This is like more.
Speaker 2: Common than people think, by the way, I'm like, let normalize it, but it is. Yeah, And she told us on our recent girls trip and she said, you know, I really came to the realization. She's like, and her mom still talks to the parents are divorce, but she was like, my mom wants me to make up with him. And my mom kept telling me, you know, if he dies tomorrow, you're going to regret it, and she goes, I realized I would not. She's like, it was not a great dad to me, and if he died tomorrow, I wouldn't there wouldn't be.
Speaker 1: But society puts that on you. I mean, so, I mean, do you feel that pressure, Klin with your family, Like society puts this pressure of like you owe it to yourself and them to do this and to have this relationship that, by the way, it's like, why would I enter into a relationship I know is toxic. I know his I'm getting nothing from this.
Speaker 4: Same with my older brothers just had babies and the one of them is expecting their second child. No words for my dad. You know, I don't even know if he has their phone numbers anymore.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll see and I can't I just like Lauren says, She's like, could you fathom I was like, yeah, I couldn't fathom Josher Taylor having a baby and not being there right, so kicked me out of the room.
Speaker 2: Well, I know you guys don't have kids, but if you thought about that, like if you have kids, I'm just curious because I would imagine this is something that has bonded you to, like you relate to each other over it. And I would imagine also that even though you don't have kids, but you can picture now if you had kids, you would not be this way.
Speaker 4: Well, one of the reasons it was always kind of anti kid was because I didn't want to be like my dad, and so I didn't want to like have to put my kids through that. But then my brothers had their kids, and they're fantastic fathers, like the best, most loving dads of all time, and so that's kind of like reinvigorated my spark to want to have kids. So it was weird seeing them have their children is what inspired me to want to eventually have our own, I guess.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And just like the relationship that you have with your dad, Like I know Dean's going to be such an amazing dad the way he is, like as as an uncle right now, but also in spite of your dad kind of any Yeah.
Speaker 5: That's how my brothers do it.
Speaker 4: They're like, every time I think about what it takes to be a good dad, I just do the opposite of what our dad did.
Speaker 5: Or like that.
Speaker 1: You know, Laura again, Laura and I have these conversations a lot. You are not your dad, yeah, and you are not your mom either one of you. Right, it's you know, they don't They don't even necessarily define who you are. You know, you get things from them, you learn things from them, but that doesn't mean you are them. My kids are not me, Like, they're not identical to me in any way, either one of them. They're both incredible human beings, but they're not me and so and I'm not my mom or dad and so I guess to you, I mean, I can tell I agree with Kaylin. You are such a loving, caring, doting person. You have that, you have empathy, you have grace, you have love. Like I don't know your dad. I know you're not him. You know, I agree, I know you're going to be a good father. I could just I could you with the kid a boy or girl and being such a great.
Speaker 5: Dand yeah, I really want a girl, is what I was.
Speaker 1: What I girl, That's funny, I guess I was like, I could see you being a great girl girl dad?
Speaker 3: Yeah, why is that?
Speaker 5: I just know how much of a I was when I was a kid and still boys.
Speaker 3: For that reason, Yeah, I was crazy. Yeah, wow you too, really you know, because weird. I Please don't take this in the wrong way at all. But I was thinking, first of all, I.
Speaker 2: Told Kalen yesterday, I'm like, wow, that is like so different than I remember him being a couple of years ago.
Speaker 4: And when we did the interview on the carpet in Las Vegas. I'm too different than.
Speaker 2: That, totally housed and I remember being like, do you want this interview to go live?
Speaker 3: And you were like, yes, yes I do. And I was.
Speaker 2: Saying he was like okay, So like but by the way, I wouldn't pretend like I didn't really know you then I'd interviewed you.
Speaker 3: But so it's spending this couple of days with you.
Speaker 2: I said to Kleen last night, like, I mean, wow, I would imagine it's the Kleen influence because two minutes ago and Chris asked you a question, you kind of explained it and then turned Keilan said.
Speaker 3: I guess like, like, right, honey, that's what we think. But obviously I've grown up on your own.
Speaker 2: But I love the influence you guys have on each other, And just from interviewing you both briefly from the show at that time, I never would have shipped this, And do you guys look back and think like whoa? But also it's surprising how much you have in common and like like did you see that from the beginning or did it take a minute to realize WHOA? We kind of are really similar and we work well together.
Speaker 7: It took a minute. I mean I had a crush on him. It's been like eight years since he was on the show. I slid into his DMS eight plus years ago and.
Speaker 5: Eight years ago seven.
Speaker 7: Yes, I always had the biggest crush on him, But then knowing him and being on Paradise, I'm like, obviously, I'm so infatuated, infatuated with him and and love being around him, but I never thought it would work. And then he dumbed me, and then I was like, you know, the first few months of our relationship, terrified he's going to dump me again.
Speaker 5: And I tried to get to you jump out of your plane and you.
Speaker 3: Said no, yeah, Flare's that as well.
Speaker 1: There are couples in this franchise and people always say, you know, did you know or could you see it? You know, like a Jayden Tanner that was a layup right. You know we all watched that day one, like, Okay, show's over, you guys, same thing. It's not that I wouldn't ship it. I just couldn't imagine it. I couldn't see it. I'm like, it was like oil and water. I'm like, how is this going to work? And it's not that I knew either one of you that well, it was just my thirty thousand foot level. But that's one of the beautiful things about love and even back in the day when the show was so pure and good, is that things like this could happen. And I absolutely the more I've got to know you guys and spend time, and I even enjoyed just hanging out with Dean yesterday, and I feel like I've got to know you a lot more just in this weekend, which I've really enjoyed is just you guys are such a love and I love the way y'all talk about each other. And I said this to Dean. We did a podcast with with Ben. I've always appreciated it. And where were we when we had a conversation. We were all standing together, the three of us, and you were the way you were talking about Dean. I was like, where is he? And You're like, oh, he's in Tanzania or he's in you gotta whatever.
Speaker 4: And I was like, I was in Pakistan.
Speaker 3: Where were we Talking's wedding?
Speaker 1: Okay, we're well, that's right where Wells and Sarah's wedding. And that's when that was the first time I even got to kind of dive in with you on this relationship. And I was like, I left thinking I really appreciate how a she stood up for him in an appreciative way of like she just said, her husband's in Pakistan. That's insane. He shouldn't be in Pakistan. But she was really excited for you, and and there was a lot of love in your voice and the way you were talking about Dean. And I said this to Dean. I was like, I really like the way she loves him because she's not trying to change him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that trip was actually really funny because I was hiking through the mountains in Pakistan and we were so isolated, and Pakistan's already kind of isolated.
Speaker 1: But anybody have that on their twenty twenty four car, I'll take hiking in Pakistan for five hundred.
Speaker 5: It was like a twelve day hike through like you know, one hundred plus.
Speaker 7: Mile find you someone died on that hike, and.
Speaker 4: Someone died on that We passed by a corpse, which was pretty morbid to talk about more morbidness. But on like the second day or something, I was talking to the trip organizer and he was like, yeah, you know, that's why I made everyone get insurance and halivac insurance like all this stuff.
Speaker 5: And I was like, oh, yeah, we were we supposed to get that.
Speaker 4: He goes, he goes, yeah, you didn't get that, and he was like got so mad at me. He's like, no, you need to have these things in order for us to continue on. And we're like, you know, we're three days up into the mountains at this point, and I like get on the satellite phone and I text Kyler real quick and I was like, hey, I just got in a lot of trouble with the with the guy. Will you please get me like flight for flight for life insurance and something else, and she was like twenty minutes there. She was like, yeah, done, here's your insurance information and everything like that.
Speaker 1: Wow, I took out a ten million dollar policy enjoy Pakistan. Yeah, don't feel like you need to make it pack.
Speaker 5: I mean, in hindsight, did it I need it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: I didn't. So we could have saved ourselves on a hundred bucks and I've gotten it.
Speaker 2: But it feels worthy. One hundred feels worthy. Yeah, more expensive than that. Actually, it feels good considering you want to.
Speaker 3: Have kids and stuff.
Speaker 1: You knew what you were taking on. And this is this is interesting because a lot of women would not do this. It's the action, the adventure. Falling in love with that is easy. Living with it is not because then the reality of oh crap, he really does live in a van he sets in. But I like that you have always embraced that, because a lot of women would be like, great, I loved what I fell in love with, but now I want to domesticate that and change that.
Speaker 2: Have you always embraced it or were there any moments where you're like, I don't know, I'm.
Speaker 7: Like waiting for Dean to cut it and be like, oh, sometimes I try to just rein it in a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yes, well that's actually healthy, Yeah, because he probably does need to be rained in a little bit.
Speaker 4: I'd probably go crazy marrying someone that was exactly like me. So it's nice to have like the both all the bases covered.
Speaker 7: I guess insane, like I've changed so much and grown so much being married to him or being with him for five years. Like I was so high strung and such a pageant girl and still am a little high stuck. But but I'm working on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah you got a pageant girl getting insurance?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: You really one big yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah right, okay, I'm doing like the math on your like I we would have kids. I want to have all girls. I'm hiking in Pakistan. Have you guys talked about like, will you reel it in it all? If for when you have kids, are you going to continue the adventures?
Speaker 4: We're already kind of relling it in now because we just bought this house in Colorado.
Speaker 1: Set down roots, Yeah, set down some congratulations, by the way, Thank you so much. It's great.
Speaker 4: It was a little out of my budget personally, so now we're like tapering it back a little bit.
Speaker 1: It always will be. Yeah, you know, that's my advice to anybody. It's like, just know that your house, whatever you're buying, it's going to be whatever the number you had in mind. It's more, but it's okay, Like it is like, you'll make it work. It's like, and I'm not saying live beyond your means, but it always is. Yeah, Like, yeah, even if you said I want the million dollar house, it's one point five.
Speaker 3: Well, Ran was just saying he wash. She had spent one hundred dollars on life insure, so I don't know, it's low.
Speaker 4: It's don't like spending money on these Yeah, Pakistan, I guess.
Speaker 3: We can have the kids in this van. Come on.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I'm interested if your economics will chicks it. You know, again, you and I have that conversation. Yeah, I don't know if I ever told you. You know, Dean and I discussed this the other night is when we were on the beach at Paradise. It was like three or four in the morning during right before a rose ceremony and men Dean looked at me, and you know, I'm standing there in my suit, just dead tired, and you know, like you said, it was monsoon season. The crabs are crawling all over us. And he's like, essentially, why are you here, like if you like you have enough money to retire, right, And I was like yeah, technically, and he's like what are you doing here? Like why why wouldn't you just walk away? And he's like, I would be gone. And so it was just funny, and it's like it's a question that's stuck with me and it's lived with me. And we talked in depth about that.
Speaker 3: Wow, the effect.
Speaker 1: But what I'm curious of soubertin effect is if if your thoughts have changed about living life on the edge of like, Okay, I'll make this much money as an influencer, and i have enough money to kind of live for a year. I'll go to Pakistan. Now I'll kind of shut it down. Have you thought more about, Okay, if I want to bring another bring a child into this world and build this family, if like, okay, now I need to kind of build a nest egg, I need to for.
Speaker 4: Sure, Well, I always think that the influencing thing is temporary, and I think it'd be crazy to assume otherwise, you know, So now we you see, to figure out what we're going to do once that well runs dry. I'm just saying yes to every deal right now and trying to like collect enough money to at least let us skirt by for a while. But it's so it's the root of one hundred percent of my stress.
Speaker 7: Finances, and like, going back to insurance, my stress is coming from like because we have to buy our own insurance and pay for it, and our deductible is seventeen thousand dollars and monthly is so expensive. So I'm like, when I have to go to all these doctors appointments, what the heck are we going to do?
Speaker 3: That's my stress right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, finances are always it is. It's it's a huge burden. You know.
Speaker 3: You said something the other day and not an argument we were having. I don't know what the right word.
Speaker 5: Is, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you said something like.
Speaker 2: You don't understand the like you you were like, I've always like been the caretaker, Like he was like, I've always had the stress of the caretaking. And when I really stopped and thought about it, I was like yeah, I have to own that he totally has like in your first marriage, in our relationship, now you have your kids, you help take care of your parents like other people. And I've really tried to take that in and not to like stereotype.
Speaker 3: But I do think still in a lot of relationships.
Speaker 2: I mean I've talked to my friends about it, Like I think men feel that a lot, or whoever the breadwinner is.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if like.
Speaker 2: Do you guys feel like you share that, like you just said, it's the source of all your stress?
Speaker 3: Is this this is big right now for you? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean if our relationship, like I would be the you and your relationship, you know, like she's the red winner. She does all of the she does all the planning and the logistics, and she takes care of everything.
Speaker 5: And I'm just kind of like, yeah, sure, why not.
Speaker 8: So I don't know if that necessarily Well, there's one, Yeah, there's one who's like Chris is totally the person who's looking at the bills and looking at the insurance and what we told you guys this the other day as we're waiting for our uber, I thought the other day I thought he told me that he got a life insurance policy on me.
Speaker 1: Lauren just learned. She thought I had been going at Great Links to get in before we got married, to get insurance policy on her. And then we're standing at the airport with Dean and Kaylin and she's talking about this, and I said, Babe, you realize that insurance policy I just got is on me. It's if something happens to me, if I die.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you.
Speaker 5: What sparked that for you to get that?
Speaker 1: Well, because because my kids are taken care of, you know, again, it's as Lauren said, I've since you know, I college, I've I've lived alone. I was on my own and I've paid for everything. So whether it was rent turns into mortgage and insurance and credit, you name it, it's always just been on my plate. And so you know, it's always been I wouldn't say a burden, it's just life, right. And so once I had kids, you know, I established accounts for them and insurance and stuff, and especially once I got divorced, once I became a single dad, it was very important because I was still taking care of my ex and taking care of my kids and trying to take care of myself and my you know, other parts of my family, and so I had to kind of move things around and make sure that no matter what happens to my ex and I, my kids are always taking care of because they were still young. I mean, you know, I'm back when we got divorced. There nine and eleven years.
Speaker 3: Old, nonhing, do you know them?
Speaker 5: Then? I met him when.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty young, It's seven eight years ago?
Speaker 3: Long have you been doing so?
Speaker 2: When?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 5: I know. When Kelen said eight years ago, I was like, are you.
Speaker 3: Sure, Dean and I are over here? Like what year is that? You guys are like, so the insurance okay, but yeah, and so you know there have to be better Dean.
Speaker 1: We precipitated this to answer your question, Dean, was when I, you know, added Lauren to my family and was to my life. That part of that to me is the fiscal responsibility of taking care of her. And I know that she doesn't need to be taken care of, like you know, she she's fine on her own. But at the same time, like, that's part of my responsibility, I feel, And so if something happens to me, you know, I've brought her into my life and I want her to be able to keep that life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Sadeine, I have this idea that if you want to take Chris hiking, yes in Pakistan.
Speaker 3: I think like super fun, super safe.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was weird because she's like, do you want to go to Korea? And she's like, no, North Korea?
Speaker 5: What Yah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, She's like, just go hiking. It's fine, it's beautiful, untouched resources.
Speaker 2: The really idiotic thing is that when I've now realized when you said I got a life insurance policy on like for you, I thought it was on me, but that also it would benefit us, Like I don't you know what, I didn't understand what I've been.
Speaker 1: Going to all these doctors appointments. I had to get blood tests. You know, you have to do all the stuff so you can get preferred or super preferred and all that, and so yeah, I got a clean bill of health. And I've literally been talking to her while I've been going to these appointments, like she was on the road and she's like, what are you doing. I said, I'm getting my blood taken. I'm doing all this stuff for the policy, and I'm like, why would that have Why would I have given blood for you? But anyway, long story short anyway. So yeah, but that's part of the that's part of the responsibility, and it is it's something that is it's not joyful, it's not fun. But like Laura and I sat down, it's like I wanted her to see the picture of this is our life like and it's important to have those conversations, especially when you guys I don't know if y'all did ever had that discussion of babe, are you in debt? Like how much debt are you caring? What are you bringing to the table, and you know, like here's my accounts. Like I sat with Lauren, i walked her through all my bank accounts. I'm like, here's the money, here's what we have, here's what and so we.
Speaker 4: Have a pretty good and we even when we first to dating, we opened like a joint checking account together within like a few months yea. And then we were always kind of pretty open and transparent about our money.
Speaker 7: And the main thing was just getting Deane's credit up. Yeah, but we built that pretty good.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, your credit score.
Speaker 4: I think when I went on Bachelor at my credit score was like five twenty.
Speaker 1: It was like five. Yeah, that's really low.
Speaker 5: It was almost as low as it possibly could have been.
Speaker 7: And then the past five years we've been working on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I would ye fifty, which is pretty good.
Speaker 3: Wow, she just knows it work.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, she knows it and hers is like eight hundred something. We've always been pretty transparent with that and it's nice. Like I always wonder too if if times have weren't good, Like, you know, we haven't had to stress about money very much, you know, like I said, it is the root of a lot of my stress. But it is still like we are very fortunate with what we have and I can't imagine eventually when things might go south if they do, hopefully they don't, but like it's just it's just another layer wrinkle to add into it, to to get upset with each other about Well, now it's been good. Actually, she wanted to buy the new iPhone lately, and I just keep telling her, like, we don't need you don't need the new iPhone phone. So yeah, we still have some like small arguments about that. She doesn't like that I had my golf membership in l A still, so we need to iron some stuff out.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 7: When we got married, we're like we're fully like finances are completely blended now, and so it's like we need to be super honest about what we're spending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm just now remembering your entire trajectory on the show, and I just remember that you were the f boy on Paradise. I'm not exaggerating. I fully forgot it until like just a few minutes ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was looking at you.
Speaker 4: Now, I was the F boy. I think I made F boys like trendy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Elon Gale, is you for that show?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but no, I also didn't know that story about Dean being your financial advisor on the beach.
Speaker 5: He was no more like the life advisor. I would say it was very literal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of rude people, Ben Higgins just walked in. We was talking about how you stole the toast last night and just buried me.
Speaker 2: And upset Chris so much that he had to go procure a dessert and come forth from the kitchen singing.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that was nice.
Speaker 2: His ego was smashed so hard that he was like, I need to perform a musical number now.
Speaker 1: No, but yeah, And actually I was a little bummed to hear that Paradise has allegedly been postponed, I think is the official way they're saying it is they're postponing it for a year or canceling it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I did hear some whispers.
Speaker 1: Obviously, either way, that's not It's never good in TV. We all know this business well enough that when you know, they don't postpone shows that are doing great. But but I was bummed to hear that.
Speaker 4: As a fan of that show. Not so much the main show. It's just because I don't really watch reality television a lot. It has seemed to have gotten worse over the years.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've discussed this a lot, just because people are so hyper aware and so worried about social media and like coming across poorly that it's not good television.
Speaker 1: You know what I noticed, And I said this when we were here last year and I met some or maybe some other iHeart thing. And I always meet some of the kind of the newer people that I didn't watch and I don't know them, Like so Justin and Susie are here. They're new and I think they were on kind of recent seasons. And what I've noticed is there's no joy. No one's talking about it, even the ladies from the Golden Bachelor. No one's talking about it glowingly about what an amazing experience it was. And look, I know that everyone you know, even back in my day, it was like there was good at its, bad at its, and you know, and Higgins is sitting here. You're all sitting here, and so we all had our ups and dow.
Speaker 3: Higgins really bad at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we made him look like the golden Boy. I said, Ben, I said, you've been getting away far too long from being known as the nice guy from the Midwest. I said, your run has come to an end. I'm gonna out him as for the guy he really is. But I saw him push an old lady down on the street and Carmel, it was horrible, horrible man, And.
Speaker 3: That was you.
Speaker 1: I was the old man.
Speaker 3: We're in California.
Speaker 1: He said, screw you, old man, and he pushed me down on the golf course. And but it is That's one thing I've noticed, and it's unfortunate that no one comes away with Joy and it's almost like this experience they've survived, which is a really and and I don't know if you guys think back on your time with Joy.
Speaker 4: Even though there were a lot of like darker moments like the f Boy series that I was kind of in the thick of uhhase. Yeah, yeah, the hometown experience wasn't too good for me. Winter Games as a whole was just a mess of a show. Still fun, I guess, but yeah, I still look back on those fondly, Like even though there were bad moments, I still look at it as a net positive.
Speaker 7: And yeah, it was like a fun time with friends and and you Yeah, you've got your things that you go through publicly.
Speaker 3: But I had a blast.
Speaker 1: And y'all noticed that when you run into people on the French just that joy.
Speaker 7: It's like, who if that was brutal? I'm like, you didn't have fun. Yeah, you didn't have a blast.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, like, why'd you just like you just signed up for prison camp? What was going on?
Speaker 7: They took your phone, didn't communicate with anyone.
Speaker 5: No, that's true. I guess I never thought about that.
Speaker 4: But you're right, And I don't really talk to a lot of like the newer contestants, so maybe I don't just get that experience firsthand. But yeah, when we talked to like Ben and and Wells and everyone else that we know from like the same kind of era, for lack of a better word, that we're from. It's always positive. But the newer contestants maybe you just don't have the same experience.
Speaker 1: I always forget about Winter Games. It was so fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm glad you had fun.
Speaker 1: Remember when Ben fell in love with Yuki?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do. We were just talking about that the other day.
Speaker 4: He was like pulling her around the front yard on the sledge and he's like screaming for it.
Speaker 3: I don't remember you on that show.
Speaker 5: That's good, that's let's keep it that way.
Speaker 1: Let me there's an indelible like thing burned in my brain. I can never get it out. It's this image, and that is Ben Higgins and Dean in a speed racing skin tight We had a speed racing event and we thought this would be funny. We're gonna put them in the you know, the true speedo thing, and it was interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and those guys, those Canadian guys are all such great skaters.
Speaker 5: And then here we go.
Speaker 4: I've like been on ice skates twice in my life and it was just and then yeah, we were wearing skin tight suits. You fall in that ice, you're busting your hip wide open. Even at twenty seven, I was scared to fall and hurt myself.
Speaker 1: We had, you know, putting people on skis.
Speaker 6: We had ski races and when there were people who had never seen snow, and we were like, we're gonna fire you down a mountain, We're like, here, we're gonna let you practice for three minutes and now now it's time to go. Speaking of insurance, no, I mean we had this net upright, and people were flying into the net.
Speaker 1: It was a horrible idea. And the snow was really icy. It wasn't even good snow. Do you know how I.
Speaker 2: Knew as a reporter, and this is before we're dating that you kind of didn't give a shit about this that show, like you were just having fun. I show up for the interview and for the first time I've been interviewing him for years, and he had facial hair be remember that actually he is doing He's just he's just enjoying this.
Speaker 1: I guess it was kind of two things, honestly, that show. So we were really burned out, Like they we kept creating shows and you know, we were you know, kept we were having massive success and we were kind of victims of our own success because ABC's like, give us more, give us more, give us more. We're doing twenty six hours of Paradise, and so we were going from show to show to show, and when they added Winter Games, we had finally just what would happen was we we would wrap Bachelor and that wraps like right around Thanksgiving, and you'd finally you'd go home. You'd like, Okay, I can see my family, spend time with the kids and like reinvest and plug back in. And it was like, no, no, Like, you're gonna go home celebrate Thanksgiving and you're going to right back out to Vermont and you're going to be there until basically Christmas. And it was just like such a gut punch because I'm like I just on a personal level spent so much time alone. And as Laura knows, because we had her first flirty conversation in that hotel room when she interviewed me. Because I was very I didn't know that I was very well. I guess the first flirty thing was in Paradise. And then then she came and asked.
Speaker 2: Me, you know you got we were married for three months and forgets everything.
Speaker 1: There was episode she interviewed.
Speaker 3: Down the mountain Dean.
Speaker 1: She interviewed me for Winter Games and she came in and she's like, by the way, are you single? And this is in the interview. I was like, oh, she's hitting on me. I want to know, and so what was but what the truth? So this is how I see the world? Right? The truth was?
Speaker 3: He was like on camera, this professional woman is hitting on me.
Speaker 1: No, the truth.
Speaker 3: The truth was, what's some respects on my name?
Speaker 1: Some some a producer had heard I was dating somebody and they just said, hey, Lauren, you need to ask that idiot host if he's dating somebody to try and get a scoop. Yes, of course in my mind, yeah, I think she's hitting on me. Right, I like my version and what's the real version?
Speaker 5: Though?
Speaker 1: That was it?
Speaker 3: No, he really did tell the truth. The truth. Well, that's how it was. At ET.
Speaker 2: It was like like if you were going into an interview and they're mandating questions, you have to ask, you have to ask that. And they were like, we have this tip that Chris Harrison is dating someone, so go ask him if he's dating someone.
Speaker 3: So I had to like and I had.
Speaker 1: This, I've been dating someone, but we had been broken up. So I was like, why yeah, and so we had a very flirt and then he was like.
Speaker 3: But there's this guy Dean who's here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's circumcised, because.
Speaker 4: That's so funny that he's reading off your cards and Chris. And then meanwhile I was just thinking like, Wow, this girls really.
Speaker 6: A lot.
Speaker 1: Because I help people find love does not mean I was good at it myself. Those that can't do teach guys. It is so damn good to have you. It's good to see you, and in all seriousness, it was great to like spend some really quality time with you at Wells and Sarah's wedding and then obviously this weekend and you, man, I was like, I really, I said to Laura lest night, I was like, I got to spend a lot of time with Dean this week, and I was like, I've really enjoyed getting to know you better and I feel like you're in a great place in life for both of you, and I just I love it. It's been great really gotten close. I appreciate what a good guy you are.
Speaker 4: I want to take this opportunity to apologize to you for losing our team play yesterday. I mean, I miss some big puts out there. Let Ben and Walls take about seventy bucks off of was that quote that.
Speaker 3: You told me last night? I was like, how'd you guys play?
Speaker 2: And he said, you know what they say about golf, it's just about having fun out there. I was like, Diana, I don't know golf, but no one says that.
Speaker 4: I always say the best golfer is the one having the most fun.
Speaker 5: So I was the best golfer.
Speaker 1: Dean and I rode together. We had a blast, and then we played Wells and Ben in a team event. And again Higgins is right here. He did nothing Berger all day, he wrote, and.
Speaker 3: Why did you come into this room?
Speaker 6: He wrote?
Speaker 1: He's doing a podcast next because so almost famous podcasts. Who's going to be on the almost famous podcast? Coming up? Justin and Susie new love It Just yeah. I talked to them last night about their relationship. Really interesting how they You know, they were on separate shows, but that's not how they really got together.
Speaker 3: Well, look at Dean and Campon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know they're coming in hot. There's Justin and Susan you right there, so we will clear out. But Dean, Kaylin, thanks for having us. Good to see you guys. I love you guys. It's been fun. I think I speak for everybody. Let's keep the mustache off. Yeah, well, and anestly, did you shave this morning or last night?
Speaker 5: It was this morning morning here? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh so you did this for the show. I did it for you, handsome.
Speaker 5: He's back.
Speaker 1: This is step one of Dean coming Back.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys, thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at the most dramatic pod ever, and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.