Speaker 1: I'm Tari's Mexi and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 3: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our Sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation law firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell. Final score in Toronto, The Raptors one to eighteen, the Sixers one oh five. The seventy six Ers postgame show is presented by Parks Casino. We are awaiting the Sixers head coach Matt Murphy here with you. It was a one to eighteen, one to OHO five Sixers loss to the Raptors. They trail the season series three to nothing. They'll meet again on March thirtieth in Philadelphia for the final time this regular season. There were twenty players on the injury report tonight, including stars on both sides. Most of the stars, if not all, So there are a lot of players that you may be less familiar with that we'll hear about in the audio highlights in the box score breakdown as we move along postgame, Quinton Grimes was the leading scorer with twenty nine for the Sixers, So not quite another thirty point game for Grimes, but close to it. He did that in thirty minutes. Three twenty five plus point scorers for the Raptors. It's Aj Lawson, Jared Rodin, and Orlando Robinson.
Speaker 1: There was one other.
Speaker 3: Twenty point scorer in the game, and it was Jeff Dalton Junior, the former Raptor of the Sixers and NBA career haven minutes off the bench nine for fourteen, shooting two for four from three, And let's chat with Tom McGuinness as we wait for the coach. It goes the way of the Raptors, so they jumped the Sixers in the standings for the eleventh spot Tom And it felt like the end of the third might have been a turning point for the Sixers until it wasn't, because early in the fourth there was a coach's challenge and a weird push off trip play for Jared Butler that led to the Raptors getting a ten point lead. Again, was that the ultimate turning point?
Speaker 4: That was certainly his swing, because I be honest, I didn't you know, I did not know that that was going to be overturned. But you know, my successicked on the challenges is nil. But I definitely look like a foul. I mean, and when coach like a play later like or after the play, he looked at Billy Kennedy and the referees, the crew chief, he kind of made a shrug and a little bit of almost as like a half smile, like an acknowledgment, like, yeah, it probably was a call we could have made. So that that was a turning point because slightly before that it was eighty nine to eighty six, and like you say, and then it wasn't, And you know, that was a big, big point right there, and then they made another three and you know those other plays shortly thereafter, the Sixers quick shots and they missed. I mean, that's and that's what happened though, with the slightest little thing. And yeah, Toronto dominated the middle part of the game, certainly the second quarter, and that was a that was a phase certainly that benefited them in terms of them jumping back and re establishing a double digit lead.
Speaker 3: And even though the Sixers turned the Raptors over twenty two times, they made seven threes Philadelphia compared to sixteen for Toronto. So there's a lot of truth in that number, in those numbers from from three point range. It was a career night for so many in this game, but including Jeff Dalton Junior, and it was a home coming for him. He was only there for one season, but for him to get twenty points tonight.
Speaker 1: What did you think of his performance?
Speaker 4: He seemed like really like you almost felt like his shots. He went nine of fourteen and you know, he took a lot of mid range shots. He did take four threes, but those shots like he's able to stop. He's just got a scoring knack about him, which mostly reveals itself in the G League. But tonight he was really good. He was on target, and he's the way he plays like you know, you've seen a play where the shot it almost is like he fades on every attempt and it slows down like his release, and all that is is it's kind of a unique delivery the way he shoots it. And here's coach, so we better take nurse.
Speaker 5: Takeaways are that the three point line was a humongous difference tonight, right, And I thought again, I thought after the first quarter, I thought we were doing a decent job of getting getting the ball out to open shooters and went the whole long time without hitting any and then we kind of hit three in a row there, but three in a row and end up with seven for the game. There's a lot of dry spells in there from three, and that really is the difference, you know, considering that that we you know, did turn them over quite a bit, and you know that, and I didn't think our again, our transition offense out of turnovers was near good enough tonight either, only twenty points out of twenty two turnovers. Right, So I'd say those two things offensively were the big, big problems.
Speaker 2: Defensively, I guess guarding the three point line two that was kind of what unlocked their run in the second quarter. Just kind of what would you.
Speaker 5: See on that kind of Yeah, just again at the half, so showed showed some clips and they were just there were just you know, mistakes, you know, by our guys going under the wrong guys you know, for one thing, just not keeping track of the wrong guys there for another. You know, a couple couple lot of offensive rebounding situations. We kind of kind of a little bit of everything, and that's how it adds up to be a bad number.
Speaker 1: You know, jeffed out.
Speaker 2: Had that was a career high for him today, especially doing it in this building. I was actually talking to him before the game and he mentioned showing that a shot is reliable something he really hopes to sort of prove down the stretch of the season. Where do you feel like he's at with that overall? And then maybe I guess what you see from him specifically tonight to.
Speaker 1: Be as efficient.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that that's certainly a growth area for him. You know, he's a guy that teams go under a lot and we've you know, over the last couple of months, you know, tried to tried to say, like, when teams go under, you got to you got to be able to make them pay, which means pulling that three. He's he's I think he's feeling better about his three and shooting it with more confidence. I think that adds a lot to his game, because he's he is a you know, mostly a kind of methodical, crafty inside the line scorer for the most part, you know, a couple threes tonight, but most of the other stuff was this kind of normal stuff that he does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Drum and Kelly were both at about twenty five minutes. Was that what you were hoping to get him at or was that just dictated by the way the.
Speaker 1: Game was going?
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, I think I think that a couple of things. I thought Bono was really good, right, so he his his runs were kind of extra extended. I thought just in general, the second unit was much much better, and they kind of had that good stretch to pull the game back, and we kind of left him to start the fourth and they got off to a you know a little bit of after having that big pullback, they had to i think a seven to two in the wrong direction. Start to the fourth I remember, right, but that that ones probably Bonta just just played really good in his in his minutes, and those guys kind of sharing that spot just about equally. And Kelly, you know, I think he was he was decent. Again, just part of the group that that wasn't playing as well as the other group probably dictated that a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a bit.
Speaker 1: About managing your emotions throughout the season.
Speaker 3: I'm just wondering on these trips back to Toronto specifically, have they felt a bit more normal now that you've done them a few times.
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they are.
Speaker 4: They are.
Speaker 5: And and you know, obviously again ten years here, super special place for me. I don't know, I'd like, I'm a competitive guy that i'd like our team to play a little bit better and and uh, you know, you want to you kind of want toys, want to get get get people, you know a little bit right, But yeah, I'm getting I guess I'm getting used to it. I'm done done for this year. We'll see what happens next year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's good.
Speaker 5: All right, thanks everybody.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: Six Ers coach Nick Nurse.
Speaker 3: Murph, I was gonna say one more thing on Jeff Dalton Junior and Gina Mizel asked about him after the twenty point game. You were talking about his his shot, and it's interesting to hear that from Nick Nurse or Gina maybe said that.
Speaker 4: She coach always says it better, like, yeah, I'm trying to craft an answer. He you know what did he say? He's a crafty inside the line score.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's perfect, and that's what we see in Delaware a lot late shot clock. Even if there's three seconds, he'll be in the mid range and knock it down comfortably without you know, any any nervousness. But he is for five plus years at that level forty one percent from three This year he takes seven threes a game down there and makes forty percent of them.
Speaker 1: So he's he's a good shooter.
Speaker 3: I think to your point about the form, there's almost a way that it mirrors and maybe not as extreme, but Cameron Payne, the former six er from the left side, in the sense that his body isn't as angled towards the basket as like a Jared McCain. It's a little bit like off off angle to the left for a right handed shooter. But yeah, Jeff dllten junior with the great game, and it's just different in the NBA when you come in and you kind of need to make your first or second shot if you're only going to get a certain number of minutes, except in a game like tonight where you get some extended run and tom Now it's Indiana on Friday. How about that Halliburton four point play to beat Milwaukee they have two nights off.
Speaker 4: Well, I was talking with one of the assistant coaches, and you know, they were saying, how like Milwaukee should have fouled right then, but Joanna should have fouled him. And I didn't watch the game.
Speaker 1: Well they did foul him, but just as he shot the three.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, but on so it's an incredible play, but an avoidable play. And you know I thought about it, even Lopez defending the inbound. So but Haliburtons had a terrific stint obviously ever since he got to Indiana. He's a great young player. But that felt like that was a play that Milwaukee could have averted that up to in that scenario. But yeah, no, they're really good. There's no doubt about it. They are deep Indiana. You know, just kind of watching their boxes and some of their highlights from Afar. But any given game, Mathering can be, you know, really good. So yeah, it's gonna be a tough game. Siakam Turner are gonna be tough.
Speaker 3: They play fast, so the Sixers will need to they do adjust to that. And the Sixers were passed in the standings by Toronto and Brooklyn because of that divisional record tiebreaker. So the Sixers tonight go from eleventh in the East through thirteenth in the East at twenty two and forty three and in the West. Tim with their win over Boston, if you were concerned at all, the Oklahoma City Thunder have officially clinched the NBA playoffs.
Speaker 4: Wow, and or Cleveland did it the other night with the what they won their division or whatever. But that that would sound like a whale of a game, right. I don't know how it ended, but I mean, obviously a thunder one. But like you were telling me, it was eighty eight eighty eight, now.
Speaker 3: Star three up and it was one, eighteen one twelve the final for ok See they outscored them thirty twenty four and the fourth the Celtics took sixty three threes.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: In Boston or in Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: In Boston without Porzingis and without Caruso, but everybody.
Speaker 4: The Celtics have had. They just had the Lakers the other night, right, Like, they've really had some interesting matchups at home. So yeah, those that's a clash of the Titans. With the way this NBA season has gone, So this will do it for the Sixers trip Toronto wins the first three games at the season series, there's one more game. It's the end of the month, March thirtieth. First time they've won the season series since twenty two to twenty three. I believe, uh and their young guys played really well. I thought Robinson and Lawson and Roaden were the difference. I mean, obviously they all had twenty five or more. But yep, good game for them, and the Sixers lose on the road.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't have to tell those guys to play hard. This is their opportunity for to build something out of their careers. And they get the one eighteen one oh five win and just the one home game and then a long road trip coming Tom. So we'll see yes, see you back home.
Speaker 1: Thank you all right, murphodnight. Thanks to Tom McGinnis.
Speaker 3: After the thirteen point loss for the Sixers in Toronto. We'll have more of a stat breakdown. We'll hear Tom's calls as we replay the game from start to finish in the next segment. Then we'll do a stat of the game and look at the team totals shooting wise as well, and check in on where that Celtic sixty three to three point attempts number ranks historically and on the season for them.
Speaker 1: But we'll hit a quick break.
Speaker 3: Toronto won eighteen Philadelphia one oh five the final score on this Wednesday night, and much more to come on the Parks Casino postgame show. As the Sixers were in Toronto. Let's do the game from start to finish as called by Tom mcguinnis, and then we'll we'll go over some of the stats from this game and elsewhere around the NBA. But here's how the game sounded tonight as called by Tom. Sixers and Raptors in Toronto, Matt Murphy back with you. The Sixers were in blue uniforms again, the Raptors in red uniforms, and Quinton Grimes his first stint tonight was a little shorter than they have been, but he still had nine points in the first quarter. As the teams were getting used to each.
Speaker 4: Other, Rimes with a high arching shot for the Sixers. Six Ers come out of the timeout and pull the wood in two Quinton Grimes. Now was seven. Six Ers trail nineteen seventeen.
Speaker 3: They would trail twenty nine to twenty three after the first. Lonnie Walker the fourth he hit his head on the court twenty seconds into his first action in the middle of the first quarter, and he did not return tonight against the Raptors team that was five and five coming in over their last ten games, the Sixers were trying to snap a seven game losing streak away from home with their forty first different starting lineup of the season. That was Grimes, Jared Butler, Kelly Oubre Junior, Justin Edwards, and Andre Drummond on a night where seventeen players were out between the two teams, including Maxi Embiid, George Yabusele, RJ Barrett, Scottie Barnes, Emmanuel. Quickly, the list goes on and on. Six Ers were down six after one twenty nine twenty three, and the highlight perhaps of the game belonged to the Sixers in the second quarter. It was a Garrett Temple drive, the veteran playing for the Raptors, locked by a dem Bona, which starts the highlight. Jared Butler and Ricky Counsel the fourth takes it from there.
Speaker 4: Wow, what a block by a dem Bona outman Ricky Counsel. He flies in with a hanging right hand jam. What a play by this are Morgan and Morgan. Moment of the game. Ricky Council throw it down and Bona. You could hear the platter of the basketball pop from pick across the court, flatter up the earth.
Speaker 3: What it call by Tom Council with eleven points in the game after tying a career high with nineteen on Monday in Toronto in Atlanta, eleven point game for Council in thirty three minutes off the bench. It was a two point margin Toronto twenty nine, Philadelphia twenty seven early in the second quarter, but the Raptors would control the second quarter. They would ultimately score forty points in it. Aj Lawson, the Brampton, Ontario native, was coming off a career high thirty two points with seven threes on Monday in their win over Washington, and he picked up on that in the second.
Speaker 4: Quarter Boston Fires at three and then got it into the middle of an pearl back out to the left side aj Lawson with his second three. They have three players with seven.
Speaker 3: Lawson had some clutch buckets later in this game two. He played collegiately in the States at the University of South Carol from twenty eighteen to twenty one. He's mostly been in the G League, though he's been part of the NBA teams with Minnesota, Dallas and now his hometown Raptors. From there, they went on a twenty five to six scoring run that stretched the lead to twenty two fifty seven thirty five on a Jared Rodin three pointer that prompted a Sixers time out. Quinton Grimes would score six straight points after the timeout, and the score at halftime was the Raptors sixty nine and the Sixers fifty five. It was a forty thirty two second quarter in favor of Toronto. Third quarter, with less than four minutes to go in the third, the Sixers had a steal and a score, a casual two hand slam for Kelly Oubre Junior on a thirteen point night for him that made it a ten point game and forced a Raptors timeout at eighty four seventy four and another steal and slam. This time it was the rookie had dem Bona going coast to coast.
Speaker 4: Casseleton into the lane, brought it down at traffic at den Bona steals it. Sixer is with Bona down the laye oh bad a left hand jamp by a den Bona won a play as he drives it and scores it. He is four for four and eighty seven eighty one.
Speaker 3: Now is to count a den Bona in twenty three minutes as a Sixers reserve thirteen points, nine rebounds, two block shots and a steal. He and the Sixers with his help. The Sixers out scored the Raptors in the third thirty one twenty and it was an eighty nine eighty six game heading to the fourth quarter, a one possession game a few minutes in is what Tom and I talked about. The Sixers were down eight with about eight to play when Jared Butler tripped, fell to the ground.
Speaker 1: Was he pushed, was he tripped? We don't know.
Speaker 3: It went uncalled and Jared Odin was able to get a dunk and then later a three, one hundred and one eighty eight lead for Toronto. The Seaton Hall product from twenty eighteen to twenty twenty two, he played there. His career high coming into tonight was sixteen points last season for Detroit in San Antonio. And how about a twenty five point twelve rebound career night with four steals for Jared Rodin in forty three minutes. It was also a career night for Jeff Dalton, junior of the Sixers, and off an offensive rebound, going for his first twenty point game in the.
Speaker 4: NBA grime sit doubt, and Jeff has played big minutes here off the dribble, on the move, stops, bit post, left side mid range two count it.
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 4: He is eight of eleven with eighteen points in twenty two minutes of action a seven point game six Ers cut it.
Speaker 3: That set him up for his first twenty point game on the rebound of a council shot to get twenty. He did get there when he scored twenty the Sixers down one zero three ninety six. And Dalton played for Toronto twenty five games. It's his second most with any team in his NBA career. He started with Golden State, then Milwaukee, then Orlando, then the twenty five games with Toronto in twenty twenty two twenty three. Well Tonight was his forty fifth game with the Sixers over the past two seasons. He scores a career high twenty points in it, but clutch baskets as mentioned, Lawson rode in on their career nights of twenty eight and twenty five points respectively, Orlando Robinson with a career high twenty five points and twelve rebounds off the Toronto bench. They go on to win one to eighteen, one oh five at home. Now the records are important to note because the Raptors improved a twenty three and forty three and the Sixers fall to twenty two and forty three, So that impacted the standings, which we'll get to on the other side. We will also look at the team totals shooting wise, select a stat of the game, but definitely check in on those standings. And that historic Boston Knight from three point range tonight, we'll do that after a break. It was the Raptors one to eighteen, the Sixers one oh five tonight in Toronto, and this is the seventy six Ers postgame Show presented by Parks Casino. It's the Parks Casino Postgame Show. After a one to eighteen one oh five loss for the Sixers to the Raptors on the road the Celtics game that I mentioned before we get into wrapping up the Sixers game, that Celtics took sixty three three pointers and we were going to look into that one historically, which we did. They lost to the Thunder one to eighteen one twelve tonight, as the Thunder clinch playoff spot. Officially in the top six, they lead the West here on March twelfth, six point win in Boston in a game that the Celtics went twenty of sixty three from three. At first glance, it appeared that the Celtics had tied an NBA record for three pointers attempted in a game at sixty three, but they're the third team to do that, and the Houston Rockets in twenty nineteen have the record, and they had two games above sixty three. According to stat muse so January of twenty nineteen, the Rockets had sixty eight attempts in a game and seventy attempts in a game a couple days before that, they were thirty seven percent in the sixty eight attempt game, and they were thirty three percent in the seventy attempt game, making twenty five and then twenty three in those games. So yeah, the Celtics, they had a lot more success with it in the first half. They took twenty two in the first quarter. They ended up going eight to fifty from three point range in the second half. Oh, that's a combined number from their two losses to the Thunder this season, so they haven't been able to make them when it counts against Oklahoma City. But back to our game, Matt Murphy with you. The Sixers and the Raptors. Quentin Grimes scored a game high twenty nine points. It was Castleton of Toronto that had the most rebounds, with a career high fourteen. He had seven points with that in forty minutes. Castleton's first NBA start. He's been on a couple of ten day contracts there. He's playing in the G League with the Magic Where in Delaware. Earlier this year, he scored a combined fifty points against the Blue Coats over two games and had five blocks between those two games. Was just a dominant force. Jared Butler had a game high eight assists for Philadelphia with nine points and six rebounds. Jared Rodin for Toronto had a game best four steals with a career high twenty five points and twelve rebounds. Orlando Robinson and aj Lawson had twenty five plus each for Toronto off the bench. Jeff Douton Junior a career high twenty off the Sixers bench. Bona with thirteen, Council with eleven. Ubre had thirteen. In the starting lineup for the Sixers, Andre Drummond and Justin Edwards Sixers starters with four points each. They shot forty three percent as a team. The Mixers did twenty percent from three was what Nick Nurse's main takeaway was seven of thirty five compared to Toronto's sixteen of forty, which is forty percent from three point range, and the Sixers at the free throw line they missed six of twenty two. Raptors missed four of eighteen at the line, shooting seventy eight percent there, forty percent from three as mentioned, and forty four percent from the field forty four for one hundred compared to the Sixers forty one of ninety six. Our stat of the game is the rebounding Toronto fifty nine, Philadelphia forty. And the reason that that is selected obviously that's a pretty big disparity, but it's because the Raptors were coming off a game in which they had a franchise record seventy three rebounds, so we wanted to see how they would bounce back or build off that. I should say they had seventy three on Monday against Washington, the most for an NBA team in regulation since the Knicks had seventy five against Charlotte in March of nineteen ninety two. The Raptors and the thunder who did it on February first, they have the They became the first two teams to ever do it in the same season of having seventy rebound games. So they follow the seventy three up the Raptors with fifty nine tonight against the Sixers. Sixers will play Indiana at home on Friday, before the start of a six game road trip. And before we sign off, let's look at the sneat Chicago and the play in Chicago has a cushion of three and a half games on the teams outside the play in picture which are the Sixers, Toronto and Brooklyn, but the Sixers fall from eleventh to thirteenth tonight with the loss, Toronto moves to eleventh, then Brooklyn twelfth via tiebreaker, then the Sixers at thirteenth at twenty two and forty three, the same record as Brooklyn. Toronto has won more win now at twenty three and forty three. This has been the seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Parks Casino. The final score Toronto one to eighteen, Philadelphia one oh five. Thanks to our producers Brendan Gunn Hailey, Taylor Simon and Matt Manark and of course Tom mcguinnis on the call. The next Sixers game Friday night, back to a seven pm Eastern start time, and it's a rare March home game for the Sixers, welcoming the Indiana Pacers. Our coverage here on the Sixers Radio Network, presented by Jackpott City Casino, will begin at six point fifty Eastern. Until then, I'm Matt Murphy saying thanks so much for listening, have a great rest of your week and take care